Go to notes and disclaimers


Under the Covers
by Ratadder


Rebel Headquarters
13:47 hours

I open the door to my room as silently as I can, hoping he's asleep. The unmoving lump under the gray blanket encourages me. The dim glow of a wall-plug nightlight shows closed eyes and deep, regular breathing. I slip in and ease the door shut again, wincing at the click of the latch.

Something in me resents being this old and living like a college student trying not to wake up his roommate. Something else advises me that there are worse alternatives out there. I've seen some of them.

Times like this I do miss Crystal City though. I'd gotten used to living alone after Sharon left. Got to liking it.

And if I ever expected to have another person living with me again, Mulder is about the last one I would have selected to move in—a raging insomniac with a head packed full of trivia and almost no impulse control. Not to mention the mood swings. I glare down at the remains of his clothes scattered on his side of the floor. And a slob to boot. I fight the urge to confiscate his things until he can learn to clean up after himself. It's not worth it.

Worse alternatives, Walt. Definitely worse alternatives. I could be back in Crystal City, putting on my tie every morning and trying to match my suit to the exact shade of black oil swimming across my eyes.

Sometimes it exhausts me just thinking about how many national and international leaders are doing just that these days. So I try not to spend a lot of time thinking about it. In fact, I consciously put it out of my head as much as possible, except for when we get the latest updates on the spread. We've been holding them steady for the last four months. Damn good if I do say so myself.

I pad across the small room in damp socks, carrying the heavy boots I removed out in the hallway. See, like a nice considerate roommate, Mulder. Unlike you clomping back in after one of your shifts, not caring if I'm awake or asleep. I step over a discarded sweatshirt that sure as hell isn't mine. Easing down onto my bed, I lean over to tuck my boots underneath then lift slowly back to a sitting position. And meet the gleam of perfectly alert eyes staring at me from the bunk across the room.

Shit. Where would you rather be? Anywhere but here.

"You could have told me you were awake and saved me the trouble of tiptoeing around."

He lifts himself on one elbow, face impassive. "And ruin my reputation for 'never making things easy'? I don't think so."

Uh oh. Sounds like somebody's pissed at me for siding with Krycek against him yesterday afternoon. He probably kept himself awake on irritation alone, even though he has to be on duty again in... a little less than four hours. I peel off my socks and wiggle my relieved toes in the cool air. "Mulder, give it a rest. He was right and you knew it, and you were being plain damn obstinate and you knew that too. What do you want me to say? What we're doing is too damn important to play personality games. It's getting more dangerous for you out there every day. He lets you risk your life on a regular basis. Isn't that enough? He has to let you go out and actively commit suicide too? Sorry, but I'm not going to stand around and cheer you on, just because you—we've got old grudges with him."

He stares at me for long moments and I wonder if he's going to press me on that slip. I'm tired. Talking to him these days is always a challenge given what I know that he doesn't, and me being tired is a good reason to avoid conversation completely. But finally he shrugs and looks away. "That's just it, Walt." He flops back down onto his back and glares at the ceiling, then at me. "Him letting me do anything. Are you going to tell me it doesn't bother you at all to take orders from... him?"

My mouth opens but I have to stop my immediate answer. Think for a minute. It certainly used to, but I was about to say just the opposite. Does it still bother me? I turn it over in my mind. Well, yes. To be completely honest, it still does. I shake my head slowly. "No, I'm not going to tell you it doesn't bother me. It's definitely odd, and there are moments..." I pause, remembering the first time Krycek told me to take out the surviving experiments at one of the first labs we hit. Because we didn't have enough time to save them.

Not that we couldn't save them... we could. That was the damnable part of it. We weren't blowing the labs yet, still keeping a lower profile. And there they were, all grouped in a room together, easy as you please. But we didn't have enough time. Taking out the computer systems took longer than expected. We couldn't save the survivors and still be assured we could get our entire team out clean. And our team had to take precedence. Not only do we need every single person we have, but we also can't risk leaving anyone behind that has any information about the resistance anywhere in their brain. And one of the first cardinal rules of the rebellion—you don't leave anything for the Colonists. Nothing they can use. Nothing they can salvage. Whether it be data, equipment... or people. If you can't save victims and stay clean doing it, you kill them.

But staring at a roomful of women who had never done anything but have the misfortune of getting abducted, I couldn't. He had to do it. And he did. Right in front of me. I almost shot him myself. He must have seen it on my face, because he took my gun before I even realized he was moving. And stayed behind me the whole way out. Swearing at me the entire time.

We stayed clean by the clock, but I felt as dirty as I ever had sitting under a cloud of cigarette smoke to keep my pension. Dirtier.

He and I had our first big knock-down drag-out after that incident. The first since I stopped actively spitting and hissing about working with him at all, that is. I told him flat out what I thought of his resistance, and his tactics, and his priorities, and his fucking "rules". Gave him a perfect right hook that staggered him, too. He shook it off, realigned his swelling jaw, looked me in the eye and told me flat out that I could be as morally outraged as I wanted, but if I planned to continue being useless to him, he was taking me out of rotation. Then he walked off.

We had the same fight more than once, variations on a theme. Sometimes with the right hook, sometimes without. I never got over being surprised he never hit back. I know he wanted to. It never got any easier to let him have the final word. It did eventually get easier to... understand. We aren't running search and rescue missions. We can't. We're running search and destroy. We're trying to save the entire planet, not the individuals already lost to the Colonists. The more I saw of the pure stealth of what we were up against, the more I realized his ruthlessness had a necessity, and my 'rightness' had a... much as I hate to admit it... naivete.

But it never stopped bothering me. And I can't say it doesn't bother me to take orders from him. Partly because I don't like the orders, and partly because it's him giving them. Internally I've never stopped kicking... even when my precious sense of honor has become nothing but a creaking shield of rusty wire I hold up against the chaos. The chaos the world has become... and my own chaos.

But something is different. It's not so much that it's any easier to take his orders, or that I've changed... my tired brain turns it over and over, trying to figure out why my knee-jerk reaction to Mulder's sarcastic question had been 'no, it doesn't bother me'.

Now that I think about it, it's almost like... he doesn't exactly give me orders any more.

Suddenly I realize Mulder is talking. I sigh. Sometimes it seems like Mulder is always talking. "What?" I interrupt tiredly. He stops midstream and gives me an annoyed look. Sure Mulder, like you've never mentally wandered while I was talking. Give me a break. I'm exhausted. And I'm sitting on a secret that's eating me alive. Actually a couple secrets, if I'm honest with myself. No, at least three...

"I said if it bothers you, and you understand, why are you backing him against me?"

I'm betting he said a lot more than that, from the look on his face. I take in his sullen expression, clear even in the shadows, and wonder if he's more pissed because he knows Krycek is right, or because he expects me to side with him against Krycek just on principle, no matter the issue. I feel bad. He and I used to be united in our distaste and distrust for our mutual nemesis, even after we saw the writing on the wall and joined forces with him. It was one of the few places that Mulder's and my own divergent personalities found fertile common ground. I remember early conversations in this shared space, in these very beds, bitching to each other across the room about the galling aspects of working with a resistance led by Alex Krycek. Of letting Krycek plan our missions. Letting Krycek have final okay on major decisions. Letting Krycek's situational ethics dictate the resistance's philosophy. In a way, it feels like I'm betraying Mulder all over again when I open my mouth and slowly spit out the truth as it now stands.

"Try to understand I'm not ganging up on you. It may still irk me to take orders from him, and I can absolutely understand why it bothers you, but I'm enough of a pragmatist and enough of a strategist that it doesn't bother me to agree with someone who is making sense. Someone who knows what he's talking about, knows the enemy. Which, in this case, Krycek is and does. You were the one using that logic to get me to agree to working with him in the first place." And do we have to do this now? I'm really tired.

"Well, at the time, I didn't know he was going to turn you into second-in-command," Mulder snaps sarcastically. "Or that you were going to give in and support whatever he says in return for the privilege."

Good God. Is that it? Is that what's bothering him? He's jealous? I almost break out laughing except I know Mulder doesn't respond well to being laughed at. He thinks Krycek is making me second-in-command? It's just so ludicrous. If he only knew that the reason Krycek spends so much time with me lately is because of him...

But of course that's one of my little secrets.

"Mulder, you have got to be kidding. First off, I resent the implication that I'd 'give in' to anyone to get authority." I gave that up when I told Spender to kiss off, and I swore off it for good when I walked out on the Bureau to throw in with the vigilante method of world-saving. How the hell else I'm supposed to prove it to Mulder, I can only guess. "Second, if there's any second-in-command of this dog and pony show, you damn well know it's you. We all do. Even the Rebels do."

He blinks at me, but I can't read his face in the thick dark. But his voice is somehow more conciliatory when he says, "He treats you different than he treats the rest of us. He doesn't tell you what to do. He asks you."

I blink back at Mulder. He does? Even though I was mentally coming to almost the exact same conclusion just a few minutes ago, it's somehow more real to hear Mr. Behavioral Specialist Profiler say it out loud. Krycek treats me different? Hunh. Don't go there, Walt. It's never pretty when you delude yourself, and don't get your hopes up about something that you're still so conflicted about, you don't even know if you want to get your hopes up.

Just remember how different he treats Mulder when you feel yourself wavering.

The thought is more than enough to force me back on track. Predictable Mulder... so observant and so fucking blind at the same time. He's bitching about Krycek being nicer to me, when the idiot would realize Alex is head over heels for him if he'd just open his damn fool eyes. More 'secrets' I'm not supposed to talk to him about, even though it's hardly a secret. To anyone but Mulder. Poor Alex... I don't think he has a clue how obvious he is.

Poor Alex? Jesus, did I actually just think that? I am beyond overtired.

I rub my temples and try to center my thoughts. "Mulder, I know it rubs you wrong to work with him, and I know you're pissed that your... telepathy," I still have trouble saying it, "with Them puts you at a greater risk than the rest of us. It would frustrate me too. And he's the one that has to keep reining you in because of it, which just makes both annoyances worse. But can you at least try not to take it out on me?" Especially when all I want to do is go to sleep. "This isn't about siding with him against you. It's about agreeing that you're endangering yourself, and no amount of goadingme over Krycek is going to get me to reverse my thinking on that. But more than that, you can't just expect me to always disagree with him just because of who he was. Who he is," I correct myself automatically. One of my few indulgences... not discussing with Mulder my niggling suspicions about how much Krycek has changed over time. If he wants to ignore it, that's his business. "Can I remind you, once again, that you were the one dragging me into working with him?"

Mulder sighs heavily and avoids my gaze, studying the ceiling again. "His information was checking out," he mumbles defensively. "And things were hitting the critical stage and official channels were getting more and more dangerous and... I didn't see any other option."

I fight not to roll my eyes. "You don't have to apologize. It's not what either one of us expected, but we're both here and I think by now we both know that whatever else, he is honestly trying to stop the Colonists. Yes? Alright then. That's... got to be enough."

"I know. Logically, I know all that." Mulder rolls over onto his side again and props up his head on one hand. "Sometimes I just still wake up in the middle of the night... or day," he acknowledges ruefully, "and find it all a bit surreal that we agreed to let him run the show."

I smile. I know the feeling. "We didn't have a lot of choice in the matter," I remind him as I start stripping. "The Rebels made it pretty damn clear who they were going to deal with. Not to mention they wouldn't have worked with you at all without him. You know how they feel about anyone who's already been tainted by the experiments."

"Ever get the feeling we're dealing with the only-slightly-lesser of two evils here."

I heave another sigh as I fold my glasses onto the small box next to my bed and crawl under my blanket. "Constantly. And that's one of the main reasons I'm finally perfectly fine with letting Krycek be the big man here. He's had experience working with the devil, plus he's got the slippery type of personality and the triple-think kind of mind that we need to work directly with the Rebels. We know he's not the trusting sort." Sure, Walt. That's why you're fine with Krycek these days. I barely manage not to snort as I do my own bit of ceiling-gazing. Well, I did say one of the reasons. Oh, shoot me now. "Can we sleep now, Mulder? I'm going to fall asleep mid-sentence any minute now, and you have to go on duty at 17:30."

Mulder makes a noise that I interpret as his usual impatience with the military time habit the rebellion has fallen into. But living underground is a great way to lose all touch with a diurnal schedule. It's too damn easy to mistake 2pm for 2am these days. Or maybe he's just expressing his annoyance that he's on grocery-duty. I smile as he falls silent, and resettle myself on my flat pillow, trying to bunch it up a little.

Even wound up like I am from all the various and sundry decisions and revisions and what-ifs Krycek and I have been sifting through, I feel myself start to drift almost immediately. The dark of the room feels omnipresent, almost tangible, as I try to keep my loosening mind from dwelling on any of the multiple layers of subterfuge my life is operating on at the moment. I breathe deep and concentrate on relaxing muscles that want to twitch. I'm almost asleep when his voice jars me again.

"So what were you and the 'big man' discussing to all hours of the... afternoon."

And I'm suddenly perfectly awake. So, he knows I was behind closed doors with Alex. For hours. Dammit. We red-herring'd him and everything. Made it look like we were at opposite ends of the facility. Him and his goddamn X-File intuition. My mind races. I pretend sleep confusion. "Hmmm... hunh?"

"What were you two meeting about."

Your sister. "The usual." Blank your mind, Walter, just in case.

"What's the usual?"

Your sister. "You know, duty roster, re-evals on the danger ratings in the sectors. We've had increased sighting activity in sector three, you know." I fake a yawn. Concentrate, Walt. Blank your mind. White walls. Picture white walls.

"We discussed that at the full meet yesterday."

He's suspicious. I can hear it in his too-mild tone. Wonderful. A suspicious Mulder, and me without my AD desk to hide behind. I roll over onto my side and lever myself up on an elbow, mirroring his posture. "I think he likes talking to me because I'm ex-military. He just went back over a lot of the same stuff we talked about in the full meet." It makes me more uncomfortable than I expected to lie to this man again, even this for-your-own-good kind of lie. Maybe because all the lies were supposedly for his own good. Maybe because I thought I'd finally stopped.

But here I am again, giving him one answer, knowing something else. Trying to lead him aside with a little casual deception.

"You expect me to believe he wanted to talk to you, for hours, alone, about basic information he'd already gone over."

No. I don't expect you to believe it. But I can't tell you that he finally found your sister and he's breaking all his own rules and setting up a search and rescue. Because it might still be a search and destroy. We just won't know until we get there. I suck in a slow breath and try to decide what I can say that will throw him off the scent of a secret.

It occurs to me to say 'well Mulder, we're having a torrid, secret affair and I just didn't think you'd understand. I spent the last couple hours fucking him over his desk in that Holy Resistance Leader office of his.' I almost burst out laughing and decide I'm really overtired.

Although, it gives me an idea. Well, actually it gives me a number of ideas, but only one of them is potentially helpful in dealing with a suspicious Mulder. The rest of the ideas are entirely too problematic in their own right. "Alright, Mulder, alright," I do the patented exasperated-AD voice that he should recognize from any number of 'I shouldn't be telling you this but-' conversations in my old office. "If you must know, we were talking about you." Predictably, he looks about ready to explode across the room and shake more detail out of me.

"ME?! What was he saying about ME?"

"How impossible you are to work with," I manage to keep the glee out of my voice. Barely. "I think he expected me to have some sort of wisdom to impart, suggestions from experience, given how long you worked for me." He throws himself down on his back with a huff. Perfect. Too pissed off to be suspicious. Although now I'll feel bad if he's mad enough he doesn't get any sleep. Especially since if he doesn't get any sleep, he'll keep me awake—

"What did you tell him?"

-with more inane questions. "I told him you don't take well to any authority at any time, anywhere, under any circumstances. And that given the history the two of you share, and who he is, he can't expect you to just roll over and do what he says, even when he is making sense and is the best authority on the subject." An easy lie since it's the truth. Not that he ever talks to me about Mulder. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what he talks to Dana about on a regular basis. I assume she may really have some pointers on 'how to deal with Mulder'. Alex assiduously avoids talking Mulder with me at all.

The man in question snorts something that sounds like 'what does he expect' and something else unintelligible about 'Krycek' and 'best authority'.

"And I told him you don't always argue just for the sake of arguing and sometimes you can even be worth listening to." I wait for the squawk of outrage, then roll over and settle myself down again with my back to him, grinning.

The reality of the situation washes over me almost before my eyes are closed though, causing my lids to pop open again. I stare at the wall long after I expected to doze off. Despite the fun of needling him occasionally, I do hate lying to Mulder. And this is such a big one. Samantha. The biggest one. And if it goes bad—if we go down or if we can't get her, or if we can get her but...—if it goes bad, he'll never know.

Not to mention it's just one of the things I know about, but that he and I are not talking about. But hey... it's not my business to be telling him how Alex feels about him if he's too blind to see it, and it's none of his business how I feel about Alex.

How I feel about Alex? I stare at the wall and want to bang my head against it. That is not the piece of suppressed knowledge I want to drop off to sleep thinking about. I force my mind back to Samantha, despite my fear of what Mulder might pick up.

I wonder if this is how Alex feels all the time... sitting on explosive information that could go either way, and that is really no safer out in the open than it is under wraps. Knowing more than he wants to know. Having conversations with people and having a constant internal dialogue about all the things you can't say. Shouldn't say. Don't want to say.

If it is, he can keep the double agent business. It doesn't suit me. I'm no good at this saying what you don't mean. Keeping your face neutral while you're weeding out the thoughts in your head.

I force my eyes closed and start my deep breathing again. Insomnia isn't my thing, and I can usually get myself to sleep if I concentrate. Unfortunately, I don't have quite the control on my unraveling mind this time, and I slide into a disjointed montage of images as I let myself sink. Alex and the Rebels muttering behind doors, never enough to hear actual words... just the voices. The expression on his face whenever he comes from a meeting alone with them. The way he looks when he fights with Mulder and the way he looks at Mulder when he thinks no one is watching.

I jerk awake, clear my mind, start my relaxation process over again.

Breathe... breathe... white walls... think about white walls...

Drifting...

How I feel about Alex? The little voice saying 'don't even think it' runs headlong into the little voice screaming 'it's already too late'. My internal angels and demons start up their never-ending war again, and maybe it's a good sign that I can't tell which side is which anymore. Doesn't necessarily make it easier to figure out which way I'm going to go, what I'm going to do, if I'm going to do anything, but...

I want all the little voices to quiet down. I want to shut down now. I can't turn off my lazy, circling brain, dragging out all the pieces forming the almost-whole one more time. That face, in the hospital. Finger on the button. In my office. In a tie. In my office. In leather. In my car. In a hospital stairwell. Dragging me out of burning lab. On my balcony. Pulling me down collapsing stairs. In handcuffs. Over a map of the world covered with tiny, ominous black dots. In a dark room covered with tiny, glowing drops of paint.

Alex. How I feel about Alex. How I feel... Feel.

Alex.

I've been pretty blunt, in my own odd way. But the boy can be alarmingly obtuse. That's not fair. Not obtuse. Cautious. Careful. So damned careful, all the time. Sad, really. Sad. And blunt can still be oblique. And oblique just isn't going to cut it. Not with him.

No undercover double-talk with him. Won't do at all. He'll think I'm mocking. If I really want this, I'll have to make the first move. A real move.

Do I want this?

Sleep steals my answer.

I wake to a hand on my shoulder, shaking me. I roll onto my back, blinking, force my eyes open and am immediately blinded by a green gaze so close to my face I'm almost cross-eyed looking at him.

"Alex?"

"Sorry. I'd let you sleep late but I need you in the situation room. We've got some new intelligence."

His husky voice washes over me, and a delicious sensation chases through my entire body. Almost a shiver. I suddenly realize I feel... good. Where would you rather be... "What time is it?"

"Just after 19:00. I know you didn't get much sleep but—"

I wave away his concern, noticing absently that he's still bent over me, still so close. Hand still resting on my bare shoulder. The light is on, the room awash in fluorescent. He looks good in stark light. Not many people do. "I'm awake," I murmur brainlessly.

His lips quirk up in a smile and his eyes crinkle. That almost-shiver runs across my nerve-endings again. "Situation room?" is all he says.

"Give me fifteen."

His hand deserts my shoulder and then he's straightening up, back, no longer swallowing my entire field of vision. I'm still looking at just him. I can't help it.

"See you in fifteen." And he's gone. I hear the door click behind him.

I sit up, much more awake than five hours of sleep should make me. I feel out the calm, settled sensation spreading warmth through me. Definitely got some good REM sleep. Not even any dream fragments brushing the back of my mind. I swing my legs to the floor, shrug out from under the cover and stand up, stretching. Not even the sight of Mulder's still-scattered clothing irritates me, which is surprising enough to give me pause and make me actually stop and think about what I'm feeling.

I stare at the closed door, a slow smile stretching my lips.

xx

Continued in Optimism

snakedoctor13@yahoo.com

Ratadder's lyrics, courtesy of Sarah:

Double Agent
Performed by Rush, album titled Counterparts
Music by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics by Neil Peart
words copied without permission; no profit to be made!

Where would you rather be?
Anywhere but here
When will the time be right?
Anytime but now

(spoken)
On the edge of sleep
I was drifting for half the night
Anxious and restless,
pressed down by the darkness
Bound up and wound up so tight
So many decisions, a million revisions
Caught between darkness and light...

(sung)
Wilderness of mirrors
World of polished steel
Gears and iron chains
Turn the grinding wheel
I run between the shadows
Some are phantoms, some are real

Where would you rather be?
Anywhere but here
When will the time be right?
Anytime but now
Where would you rather be?
The doubt and the fear
I know would all disappear
Anywhere but here

(spoken)
On the edge of sleep
I heard voices behind the door
The known and the nameless,
familiar and faceless
My angels and my demons at war
Which one will lose—depends on what I choose
Or maybe which voice I ignore...

(sung)
Wilderness of mirrors
Streets of cold desire
My precious sense of honor
Just a shield of rusty wire
I hold against the chaos—
And the cross of holy fire

Where would you rather be?
Anywhere but here
When will the time be right?
Anytime but now
Where would you rather be?
The doubt and the fear
I know would all disappear
Anywhere but here

Wilderness of mirrors
So easy to deceive
My precious sense of rightness
Is sometimes so naive
So that which I imagine
Is that which I believe

(spoken)
On the edge of sleep, I awoke to a sun so bright
Rested and fearless, cheered by your nearness
I knew which direction was right
The case had been tried by the jury inside
The choice between darkness and light...

Disclaimer: All hail CC, 1013, Fox. No money made.
Feedback: snakedoctor13@yahoo.com Feed the giant snakes.
Written for Pollyanna's XF Lyric Wheel. Lyrics are below the story.
Beta Thanks: Wheel stories are, by rule, supposed to be unbeta'd. This was indeed posted to the Wheel without that benefit. (I can follow all rules except length, and occasionally deadlines.) Since then, this story has received the coveted Paula's Stamp of Approval. She makes everything she touches better.
This story is part of the growing songverse, that is now getting large enough to need a Series name. Suggestions welcome. I have a hard enough time naming my stories.
In order by plot, they are:
Burn Me If You Want
Don't Call Me Lois
Under the Covers
And Never Brought to Mind
Still Burning
All stories can be found at: https://www.squidge.org../ratadder/ratadder.htm www.strangeplaces.net/ratadder

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]