Go to notes and disclaimers


Survival of the Species
by Niffusa


Oakland, NJ
12:36 a.m.

As he drove up the winding path, the young man considered again the course of action he was about to embark on. Once begun, it would be impossible to stop the wheels from turning. He had thought long and hard about the step he was taking, but there was nothing else to do.

He could see the house now, looming on the hill in the darkness. The woods that framed the property provided excellent cover from the road below, and the trees that surrounded the house would provide some degree of protection from the sky. He knew the house was a veritable fortress, he was under no illusions about that. He was expected, and despite the fact that all his senses were on full alert, he was safe.

Slowly he inched his car toward the imposing gate. After glancing in the rearview mirror to ensure no one was behind him, he extended his hand out the window and pushed the button on the call box. A moment later he heard a soft voice speak, "The master bids you welcome." The iron gates before him opened just wide enough to allow him passage. He pulled up to the main house and wearily extracted himself from the vehicle. It had been a long trip, while he could have made it here faster by air, he had decided that the ground would provided him the opportunity to do some necessary planning in peace.

He approached the front door with trepidation. Well, no going back now. His hand reached for the knocker, but before he could take hold, the large oak door began to glide open. Peering into the darkness, he could make out a small figure just inside the threshold. The figure moved forward so that the light of the moon upon his face revealed the leathery skin that comes with age and the far away stare that is left behind when you've sold your soul. He made a welcoming gesture to the guest at the door. "He is waiting for you. Please follow me."

The young man followed his guide, his eyes scanning his surrounding carefully. Old habits die-hard. The house was dimly lit, but he did not require much light to be able to navigate even the most serpentine of paths.

He was led into a large glass enclosed atrium. Immediately his eyes closed on the man before him. Older than he, the man was a sight to be marveled at. It was not that the man was physically imposing; in reality he was of medium height and only slightly more than medium build. But the presence of him could not be ignored. His chiseled features were formed into a mask of ice that he wore well, as if it had been a lifelong companion. He was seated in a high back leather armchair more suited to a corporate boardroom than a suburban mansion.

"Welcome, Alexei. It's been a long time. What brings you to my door?" His voice was like raw silk; flowing and rough with just a hint of warmth that never failed to disarm.

"Hello, Sire. I'm sorry for..." the hand raised before him stopped him in mid-sentence.

"There is no need to apologize. Your absence has been necessary." The look of surprise on the younger man's face brought a small laugh to his sire's lips. "Did you really think that I wouldn't keep track of my favorite progeny?"

"I was unaware of your interest in my dealings." He was at a loss. He had gone to great lengths to ensure that his life remained concealed.

"Alexei, for one that has spent countless lifetimes remaining hidden from view, it is an easy task to observe someone else doing the same. I know of your dealings and what they concern. More to the point who they concern. But you haven't answered my question. What brings you?"

Pushing the shock away, the younger man recomposed himself. He should have known better than to think his sire would be ignorant of the world he had saturated himself in. "There is a threat. One that I cannot contain. I need your help, Krane."

"Why should this concern me or my city?"

Alex Krycek spoke with an air of finality that gave his words the gravity they needed. "It concerns us all."

xx

two houses away...

She sat on the balcony overlooking her lands. Off in the distance she could hear the younger of her kind hunting the property. They were safe here; she had made sure of that.

She had created a haven for those who wished to hide themselves from the eye of the sun. The land's perimeter was fenced and fortified with surveillance cameras and heat sensors. Hounds under her command patrolled the body of the property. The grounds themselves were heavily wooded providing plenty of shadow to hide behind. There were caves to shield her guests from the daylight, and the woods were kept well supplied with small animals to feed them at night. She had taken care of her Prince's clansmen well.

The sound of the doorbell brought her back from her revelry. She walked back into the house through the glass French doors. The room was comfortable in the classic style of old money. The warm glow off the mahogany-paneled walls was a reflection of the only light in the room—the glow within the fireplace. The scent of the leather sofas and the aroma of the burning wood filled the air. But for all the things in this room that could bring her comfort, the only thing that did was him.

She entered the room silently, not wanting to disturb his thoughts. Her look took him in completely. She could see the tension that enveloped him from head to toe. Standing maybe five feet from the hearth, his far away stare fixed on the dancing flames within. Indeed, that same flame seemed to dance within his eyes. She watched him draw closer to the warmth and brace one hand against the mantle that leveled at his chest. The closest thing to the smile of Dagda he will ever know ...the thought gripped her. It was the cruelest of destinies to be the servant of a god whose face you could never see. She felt helpless in the face of the torment before her.

His hand began to reach toward the inviting light...to touch if only for a moment...NO, her heart screamed but she held her tongue. This was his torment and his alone.

"Sir,"...his hand molded into a fist of iron at the sound of the voice behind him. The servant entered the room, his eyes darting from his master to her guest. In a moment, the tortured soul she had been watching in silence was gone. In his place, she saw her Prince. The change had been instantaneous, but unmistakable. This was a man whose heart knew no torment. This was a man who ruled his world absolutely. "Krane requests an audience for his childer. What shall I tell him?"

"Tell him I look forward to his company." As the servant turned to go, the Prince looked up, and for the first time became aware of her presence. "Good evening, Baroness." His face was a mask of stone, but the light of the fire danced in his eyes still.

"Good evening, my Prince." She lowered her eyes, humbled by his gaze.

He moved away from his shrine and seated himself in the center of the sofa that faced the entrance to the room. As she parted her lips to speak, her servant reappeared in the doorway, ushering in her new guests. "Thank you, Phillipe. That will be all." They were not the words she intended to say, but was suddenly grateful they were the ones she spoke. No one moved until Phillipe bowed slightly and left.

"Hello, my friend." The Prince spoke even as he motioned for them to enter the room further. Knowing his place, Krycek followed his sire's lead. He knew nothing of the man seated on the couch except that he was the prince of this city, and that he had made Krane his right arm—his Scourge.

"Hello, Morgan." Krane replied.

The two men watched as a delicate looking woman made her way from the glass doors at the edge of the room to a position directly behind her Prince's left shoulder. She smiled and nodded her head at Krane in greeting. Krycek noted the exchange with fascination as his sire acknowledged her. He had never known Krane to be a warm man, yet he addressed this woman with sincere affinity, as if they shared a bond not unlike two soldiers dedicated to the same cause.

"May I present my childer—Alexei. Alexei, this is Father Morgan Black...Prince of Dark City. And this is his Seneschal...Baroness Angelique Gabrielle."

Morgan Black rose to his feet and faced the man directly. "You are the childer of my Scourge; as such, I bid you welcome to my city. You are safe here."

The implication was clear and Krycek needed no further explanation. He was protected from the others of their kind within the boundaries of this city, but his conduct here would be a reflection on his sire. "Thank you, my lord. You have my sire's loyalty, and so you have mine." Out of the corner of his eye he saw Krane's expression of approval. He had spoken well.

Returning to his place on the sofa, Morgan eased into a more familiar air. "How may I be of service?"

With a glance to Krane, Kryeck received the nod of permission he needed to continue. "For the past few years I have spent my time protecting Kindred interests from the affairs of mortals. Now, a threat has arisen to the lives of two mortals who are intricate to my plans. I seek protection for them."

"What have these mortals done to warrant my intervention on their behalf?"

It was Krane who explained. "There is an invasion coming from a force not of this world. These mortals have been trying to prevent it and as a result have placed themselves directly in its path. There are those who wish to see this invasion succeed, and not all of them are mortal."

"Do you mean to tell me that this "threat" to which your childer alludes is from one of our own?" No shock, no fear...he simply wanted to clarify the facts.

The question was directed at his Scourge, but Krycek could not restrain himself. This was no time to stand on ceremony. "My lord, please understand. At this time, I have no way of being sure from where the danger originates. But there is evidence to suggest that the attack will come from somewhere among the Kindred. If these mortals are left to die, there will be no one to take their place. The invasion will proceed unchecked, and we will be left without a food source." Krycek's voice was taut like untempered leather. Even with the distance between them, Morgan Black could smell his fear.

Krane had always trained his childer well. They could fight and win, and they knew it. With that knowledge had always come an air of arrogance that Morgan, having the heart of a warrior himself, could not help but respect. This man was no exception. And yet, here he stood looking back at Morgan with a battle weary face, riddled with dread. "Why come to me? Do you feel you cannot protect them yourself?"

Kyrcek replied slowly, measuring his words carefully. "I have a history with these two. Many times we have fallen on opposite sides of a battle. They know nothing of who or what I am...or of my real purpose. The best protection I can offer them is to uncover the snare set for them and eliminate it. They need never know of my involvement." The Baroness watched as he cast his eyes downward to the floor. Perhaps, someday, he would favor her with the tale of this "history."

"What you ask of me is no easy task. You want me to bring them into our society - expose them to it. The Masquerade will be breached..." Morgan let his words trail off and carry their implication with them. He rose to his feet and turned to face the warmth of the fire once more. After a few thought-filled moments, he sighed his conclusion. "I will meet with my council. You will have my answer by the next moon."

It was a dismissal. As the two men turned to go, the Prince spoke again. "Krane?"

"Yes, Morgan?"

"See that the entire Counsel is assembled here tomorrow night. Ten o'clock...no earlier." He had not turned back to face them.

"Okay, Morgan." Krane raised his arm, gesturing for Krycek to preceed him out. When the front door had closed behind them, the young progeny turned to his sire.

"What will he do?"

"Don't worry, he will see to their safety. We'll just have to wait and see. Come child, it's time to feed. We will all need our strength for what is to come." They began to walk in silence and were soon swallowed into the shadows.

xx

The sun rose—the sun set, and soon the crescent moon was shining brightly in the sky. The hours that had passed since Morgan's meeting with Krane and Alex Krycek had not passed peacefully.

When the Baroness crossed the foyer into his study, she saw him seated behind the large oak desk. His elbows rested heavily on the arms of the chair; fingers poised together at the tips and raised to the bridge of his nose...he was the picture of the servant king. Often she could feel the emotions that radiated to her from her Prince, but tonight he had fully guarded himself. She could sense nothing in him save the walls he had deliberately erected. When he was ready for her to know, he would reveal himself. Of this fact she was sure.

"Have you reached your decision yet?" her tone cautious, ever weary of the respect he had earned.

"There is no decision to be made—only action to be taken. The Kindred must be protected. And it appears that my city will have to be the instrument of that protection." He knew she could read him if she chose, but she wouldn't. She would never intrude on him uninvited. She would never abuse the trust he placed in her; it was too hard earned. Always calm even when the situation was not, always the statesman in the midst of Philistines, she was the enlightened word in a myriad of raised sabers, and he valued her for that. There had been times when they did not see eye to eye; there had been times when she strongly opposed the course he had started upon, but never did she allow differing opinions to sever her support of him. She stood by his side resolutely with an unwavering faith. She had proven her loyalty time and again, and yet there were still moments he found that the Prince must be prince alone.

"It's time, my Lord. Your Counsel awaits you." If there were anything she could have done to lift this burden from him...but there was nothing she could do but follow where he led. And so, as he left his study and entered the Counsel chamber, she did just that.

As the Baroness took her seat beside Krane, Morgan scanned the room to ensure each of the Primogen was present. Satisfied that every clan in the city was represented, he took his place at the table, but remained standing.

"Thank you all for coming. Krane, would you please explain to the Counsel the circumstances you described to me yesterday?" That said, Morgan took his seat.

As Krane spoke, the Prince searched the faces of those seated around him, gauging their reactions. For the most part, his gaze was met with visible astonishment, until his eyes fell on Shroud.

Not a Primogen, Shroud did not sit at the table with the Counsel. He was an Archon—a representative of the inner circle that governed all Kindred. He stood behind his progeny, Grendal, and observed the goings on in this City from the shadows with an expression of stone. When Krane had finished his explanation, Morgan watched as Shroud leaned forward from the waist to whisper in the Nosferatu Primogen's ear.

"Now that you all understand the situation, if any of you have anything to say, now would be the time," Morgan stated flatly. He wondered how long it would take before Grendal spouted his sire's objections.

"Father Morgan," Grendal began. Well that didn't take long at all, Morgan mused to himself. "I fear that this course of action may not be in our best interests. Surely there must be some other way to protect these people without jeopardizing the Masquerade." Grendal may not have been the most diplomatic one in the room, but he certainly knew when to tread lightly. This was just such a time.

"I understand your concerns, Grendal," Morgan replied. He glanced over Grendal's shoulder, directly into the face of the Archon, then returned his attention to the Counsel. "I have considered the other possibilities, and if it is true that the threat comes from a member of the Kindred, it would be almost impossible to protect them without direct intervention. And for them to be brought here under false pretenses would only create a disadvantage to us. These two are not fools. They would sense something amiss and try to discover the secret. But if they know they are being protected, and why, they will work with us, not against us, to preserve themselves."

The logic was sound and could not be refuted. Nevertheless, a point had to be made, and despite the fact that he was out of line to do so, it was Shroud who was going to make it. "So you are willing to personally accept responsibility for this breach of the Masquerade?"

"I don't believe I was addressing you, but since you inquired, your answer is simple. I accept responsibility for everything that happens within MY domain. The mortals will be brought to me. They are under my protection and not to be touched. Please be sure your clansmen receive word. Any member of any clan that breaks my law will answer directly to me." Morgan left no room for argument. The decision was made—the Prince had spoken.

"Since there are no other objections, I bid you good evening." Morgan rose and left the room to return to the quiet of his study. He sank back into his chair and waited. He knew they wouldn't be far behind. When all the Primogen had left, and silence reigned the house again, those Morgan trusted most joined him in his sanctum.

"With your permission, Baroness, I would like them brought here. I would like them to be comfortable—I know you can see to that better than anyone," he said with a sardonic smile.

"Of course, my Prince. I and my home are at your disposal always."

Nodding his appreciation, he turned toward the window. Seemingly lost in his own thoughts, his next words fell from his lips like tears down a child's cheek. "Krane...bring them to me."

xx

Hoover Building Washington D.C
24 hours later

The autumn sun had already set as they left the solitude of their offices. It had been some time since they had returned from their adventure in Antarctica, and life was just starting to get to as close to normal as it was going to—considering the revelations they had been presented with. How do you go back to day-to-day functions when you know that a planned Armageddon is being put in place, and that someday in the future an extraterrestrial force will colonize planet Earth, using its inhabitants as hosts to gestate its population? The answer is—you don't. But for Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully this knowledge was simply par-for-the-course of their lives; lives that, for the past six years, had been spent in pursuit of proof of this information. But even for Clark Kent, the workday ended occasionally, so tonight they were on their way home.

As he walked side by side with his partner, a protective hand on the small of her back, Mulder scanned the area carefully.

It caught his eye the moment they entered secured parking structure. Living the kind of paranoia that afflicted Mulder lent itself to developing certain habits—not the least of which was being aware of your surroundings at all times. A black van with blacked out windows parked in the secured lot at FBI headquarters...sounds like a pathetic plot twist in a B-movie, he thought sarcastically.

The half curl of his mouth spiked her interest. "What's so funny?"

"Do you think that is for us?" He pointed at the suspicious vehicle with one hand while reaching to unsnap his weapon with the other. Instinctively, she went into the same reflex in case she needed to back him up. When he saw the side door of the van swing open, he stepped slightly ahead of her, positioning his body between her and harm.

Slowly, four men began to emerge taking up calculated positions surrounding the agents. In an instant, Mulder and Scully had their weapons drawn and at the ready. "Stay where you are and put your hands where I can see them!"

Her feminine voice held an air of assured authority rarely seen among the more gentle of the species...Krane was mildly amused. "Go on, boys, show her your hands," he said with a chuckle, as he stepped forward from behind the van.

Obeying their order immediately, his men demonstrated their hands showing that they were unarmed. They moved in closer, tightening the net that kept the agents in place. "Stop where you are; do not come any closer, or we will fire." The agents stood back to back trying to watch the movements of all their would be assailants, their weapons trained at center mass.

Let's see how open they are to extreme possibilities, Krane thought to himself. There was no reason to test them at this point, but he knew it would at the very least be amusing. He nodded to the smallest of the men encircling the agents, "Take their guns."

He took one sure step toward them as Mulder leveled his gun squarely at him. "Stop where you are or so help me God, I'll shoot you where you stand," his voice strained. Krane watched closely; what he saw wasn't fear. No, this man was not afraid. There was something there behind this mortal's eyes...rage. He was enraged! "How remarkable! Alexei, has chosen his allies well," he thought with gratified approval.

As the smaller man continued to move closer, Mulder fired, hitting him dead center in the chest twice.

At the sound of Mulder's weapon being discharged, Scully turned slightly. Glancing up at him, she saw the shock that registered on his face then turned to face the wounded man. She saw the wounds in the victim's chest; she saw the blood pouring forth; she saw the victim still standing, seemingly unaffected by the injuries that were just inflicted on him.

"As you can see, your weapons have little affect on those of my kind." The gleam in Krane's eyes was triumphant, relishing the power he wielded.

"Who are you?" Mulder asked weakly, his eyes squinting with confusion.

"All in due time, Agent Mulder. All in due time. Felix, if you would..." Krane tilted his head in the direction of the two stunned mortals.

Silently, the man standing to Scully's right stepped forward, an expression of concentration contorting his face. The words he spoke were the last thing that registered in Mulder and Scully's minds. "Sleep now."

xx

The mansion of the Baroness
Some time later

As Scully began to stir, she forced herself to linger just a moment longer and enjoy the soft warm place her mind had taken her. She nuzzled a little tighter into the thick blankets and relished the final traces of her peaceful slumber. Opening her eyes slowly, she allowed herself a long languid stretch.

Suddenly fully aware that she had no idea where she was, she leaped from her bed. She reached to her side searching for her gun only to find that it wasn't there. That was when the panic set in.

She ran to the window and peered out into the darkness, hoping to find some evidence of her location. All she found was the black curtain of night draped over some heavily wooded lands. Consumed by dread her thoughts turned to Mulder. "Oh, no...not again," she sighed as her face fell heavily into her hands.

She pushed back the tears that threatened in her eyes and forced herself to think rationally. She knew there must be a way out, she just had to find it. For the first time since she awoke, her eyes began to take in her surroundings with the precision of a scientist. She surveyed the room inch by inch, taking it apart as if she were wielding a scalpel.

The furnishings were elegant in their simplicity. She looked at the bed she had risen from just minutes before. It was a beautiful four poster black cast iron bed frame, with sheer white nylon draped across the top and down one side. A large white pine dresser with a tri-fold mirror was unobtrusively tucked into one corner, and the matching night tables were on either side of the bed. The only other piece of furniture in the room was a black cast iron dressing table and stool. Scully scanned through the contents of the table and found it well supplied with nothing but the finest perfumes and ointments. Upon closer inspection, she saw that it was also stocked with her favorite cosmetics, all in her chosen shades and colors.

With a feeling of imposing doom, she walked over to the closet and flung open the door. Flipping through the hangers she saw all her favorite designers and every article of clothing was in her size. "Oh my God," her heart screamed as her pulse began race.

She ran back to the window and tried the latch, but it required a key and was bolted shut. Quickly, she found her way over to the door. Placing her hand on the knob, and turning slowly, she found that it was unlocked. She could not stop her next thought... Into the lion's den we go. She opened the door boldly and the stepped back from the man that faced her; her breath caught in her throat as she appraised him.

"Good evening, Agent Scully. I trust you've found your accommodations acceptable?" He was polite and cordial and completely terrifying. Standing seven feet tall if he was an inch, he towered over her like a mountain. His height was only surpassed by the sheer bulk of his shoulders and chest. He was the largest being she had ever seen. And yet for all his imposing size, he was not trying to intimidate her.

"Where am I? Where's Mulder?" she stammered.

"All will be revealed to you in due time. My name is Sebastian McCombs. I'm here to escort you downstairs; your host awaits your company. Would you like a few more minutes to freshen up?" He smiled at her with no warmth and no malice. It was his ability to remain so unreadable that made her feel the need to be prepared to strike. She wished desperately for the feel of her gun in her hand.

As if able to read her thoughts on her face, Sebastian tried to reassure her. "Your weapon, as ineffective as it might be, will be returned to you shortly. Please come with me." It was not a request for she knew she had no other choice.

Trailing two steps behind him, she followed his lead down the lushly carpeted hall and then down the main staircase. They turned sharply to the left and stopped at a closed door. "You have nothing to fear here." For some reason, his words held no reassurance.

Opening the door for her, he gestured for her to proceed into the dimly lit room. "Mulder..." she exhaled as she took the three steps that brought her to his side. The air returned to her body as she felt that familiar hand press securely to her back. "Are you all right?" she asked.

"I assure you Agent Mulder has not been injured, nor will either of you be harmed while you are in my city." Scully turned to see that the voice had come from the man seated in the chair behind the desk. But despite the confidence, with which the assurance had been given, she returned her attention to Mulder for confirmation.

"I'm fine, Scully." His voice was sure and calm, but his eyes spoke another story entirely.

Scully surveyed the room, quickly. Starting from the door where she entered, her gaze traveled around the room in clockwise rotation. She saw the rich, dark oak desk with the man seated behind it in a high back leather chair. To his right she saw a delicate looking woman with long sable colored hair. Her face was familiar, but for some reason Scully couldn't place her. Sebastian had taken up a position to the left of the seated man. Behind the desk were bookshelves set into the walls and filled with leather bound volumes. Her eyes continued their journey to the large bay picture window and stopped at the man seated on the sill. He was shadowed, but it didn't matter. Even if she couldn't see him, she could feel the cold that wafted off of him.

When he was satisfied that Scully had acquired her bearings, the Prince rose from the desk and crossed the room toward them. "My name is Morgan Black, and I am Prince of this region." The look of confusion on the mortal's faces almost amused him. "I know there are many things you do not understand right now, but I hope to soon alleviate your concerns. Allow me to make my explanations first and then I will answer any remaining questions. Agreed?" The agents both nodded their heads silently and waited.

"Good." Morgan turned and reclaimed his place behind the desk and motioned for Mulder and Scully to be seated on the sofa behind them. "Well, let's begin with some introductions." He turned to Sebastian and nodded.

"Since Agent Scully and I have already met, allow me to introduce myself to you, Agent Mulder. I am Father Sebastian McCombs." He turned to the woman to his right and gestured with an open palm. "This is the woman who will be making decisions about your life in the Prince's absence. Seneschal of Dark City—Baroness Angelique Gabrielle."

A wave of understanding passed over Scully's face. So that's where I know her from. She turned to Mulder to see if he had reached the same realization, but his face was impassive.

"And I believe you've both met the Prince's Scourge—Krane." The man seated on the sill of the bay window stood up and stepped into the light.

"You!" Mulder was suddenly on his feet and with a slight twist of his body shielding Scully. She rose behind him and placed her hand gently on his arm.

The Prince spoke in hushed tones. "Agent Mulder, rest assured, if I had wanted either of you harmed, you would not be standing here today. Krane brought you here on my order. An order I did not give lightly. Here is the only place I can guarantee your safety."

"Safety from what?" Mulder bellowed. "You accost us in a parking lot, take us God knows where against our will, and you expect us to believe you're trying to protect us?!" His voice had taken on the edge of anger he had been trying to contain.

The Baroness stepped to the front of the desk and leaned against the corner nearest Mulder. "Please, just give us a chance to explain. I promise you, if you just hear us out, you'll understand why you're here." Her eyes were piercing, searing hot flames that cut into his mind. He felt his anger subside under her gaze. His face softened and he took his seat once more.

"Thank you, Baroness. Krane, would you please tell them why they are here." Morgan's voice was weary, but never faltered in its authority.

Krane sat back down on the nest of pillows on the bay window sill, but this time the light followed him. "It has been brought to our attention that there is an invasion coming. A colonization by an alien force." He quirked a little smile when he saw the shock that spread across their faces.

The Baroness interjected, her voice soft and steady, "Don't be so surprised that we know of such things. We are in every walk of your mortal lives. We are your policemen and shopkeepers, your doctor's and even your senators and congressmen. We are among you everywhere just below the surface."

"But who..." but before Mulder could finish his question, Krane continued his explanation.

"You've made some powerful enemies, Agent Mulder. Much more powerful than I think you realize. Those enemies want you out of the way. You and Agent Scully both. You've become an obstacle to their plans that needs to be eliminated. We want to make sure that doesn't happen."

"What's your interest? Why would you want us protected?" Scully asked.

"Because without you, colonization would be unimpeded," Krane replied. "If the earth were to be taken over by the force you've both been witness to, our kind would be left hungry with nothing remaining to feed us."

Mulder was losing patience. "Your kind? Scourge? Seneschal? Just who are you?" He knew, but he had to hear the answer anyway.

Morgan, who had been staring out the window, turned back to his new wards. This was it. He had to tell them; this was the final breech of the Masquerade and responsibility for it had to be his. "You know who we are, Agent Mulder. You've encountered us once before. But now, you will understand exactly what you are dealing with."

He rose to his feet. "We are what you have read about; what you have had nightmares about. We are why you fear the night and cherish the protective smile of Dagda that comes with the dawn." He bowed his head, and when he lifted his face once more, he was transformed revealing his true nature. "Perhaps this explains it more thoroughly." His eyes aglow with predatory furry, his fangs bared...in that moment he became terror.

Just as quickly as fear had been personified itself, it was gone. Morgan looked at them once more with sympathetic eyes. "Your safety will help ensure the survival of my kind. Therefore, I must ensure your survival."

Mulder reclaimed his voice through the haze of confusion fogging his mind. "You call yourself the 'prince'. What does that mean?"

"It means that in this region, my word is law. I rule here absolutely." Morgan stepped away from the desk, and glancing sidelong at Sebastian, he turned to the leather bound books behind him.

Sebastian took up the gauntlet where his Prince had left it. "The world itself is divided among us—separated into regions we call cities. Each city, if ruled by the Camarilla, is governed by a Prince whose authority is complete within the city's boundaries." He allowed them a moment to process the information thus far, and then he continued. "The Kindred, for that is what we call ourselves, are made up of thirteen clans. Seven of these clans are represented in the Camarilla, which is the unifying body of Kindred worldwide. The rest have chosen to keep themselves separate. In each city, there is a counsel made up of the head of each clan known as a Primogen. They are the voice of their clan to the Prince. You will meet the Primogen later." Again he waited for them to mentally catch up. "The Scourge, " he said, gesturing to Krane, "is the Prince's enforcer. I act as Prince Black's emissary. The Baroness is Seneschal—or counselor—and as such, acts for the Prince ! in his absence."

Scully was trying very hard to keep her clinical wits about her. There had to be some rational explanation for what was happening. "You said that you live among the 'mortal' world..." she stared intently at the Baroness.

"Yes, Agent Scully. What better place to be concealed than right out in the open. We protect ourselves by means of something we call the Masquerade. Almost all Kindred hold the Masquerade as the most sacred of our laws. No kine may know of our existence and live. The choice to the immortal is simple: bestow the Embrace or leave the mortal for dead. No breech of the Masquerade is tolerated, and the consequence is final destruction." When she had finished, the Baroness turned to her Prince. "My Prince has chosen to take this very dangerous step to make sure that our species survives. Both of our species."

"What you need to know," Morgan said, turning back to them, "is that here, I make the rules. And my rules for you are simple. You are not to leave the house without one of us knowing it. You are not to leave the grounds without my express permission, and not without a guard. For now that is enough. As you become accustomed to our way of life, I will explain further. In the mean time, your dinner awaits you in the dining room. Baroness..." he let the implication of the command carry with a momentary glance.

She grimaced for a brief instant. In the next moment, her servant presented himself. "Yes, Madame."

"Phillipe, please show our guests to their meal."

"Yes, Madame." And with a flourish of his arm they were escorted out.

The Prince turned once more to his inner circle. "Watch them; see what they do."

xx

The two agents were shown into an elegantly furnished dining room and seated at the table set for two. After dinner had been served and the wine poured, they were left to themselves for the first time.

"Talk to me, Mulder. What's going on here?" she asked with quiet urgency in her voice.

"Calm down, Scully. We'll figure this out." He grasped her hand reassuringly. "Let's think this through step by step. They said we've encountered their kind before...remember your little sheriff friend down in the Lone Star State?" he asked, trying to hide his mischievous grin behind his wineglass as he sipped slowly.

"Oh, please! You can't be serious. You aren't suggesting that all these people are..."

"...undead? Nosferatu? Yeah," he said with a faint chuckle, "that's exactly what I'm suggesting."

"In that case, Agent Mulder, you'd only be half right." The agents turned to see the Baroness seated sedately at the opposite end of the long table.

Scully immediately responded. "I really wish you people would just stop appearing out of thin air."

"I'm sorry, Agent Scully. I didn't mean to startle you. It's just that some of us have the innate ability to move around unnoticed—sometimes I forget not to."

Scully began to reply, but found herself cut off almost immediately by her partner. "What do you mean 'half right'?" Despite the fact that his question was directed to their hostess, Mulder's cautioning glare remained on his partner.

They needed to understand this world if they were to survive it; with that in mind, the Baroness proceeded to explain. "Sebastian mentioned earlier that the Kindred are made up of different clans. The Nosferatu is only one of them. Granted they alone among us posses the horrible disfigurement that Hollywood seems bent on propagating, but I assure you, even they are well gifted at hiding themselves."

Despite Mulder's caution, Scully needed to speak. "But you are a public figure. Your face is seen every day on commercials and billboards. How can you be what you claim and still travel around raising money for starving children?"

Mulder's face was incredulous. "Scully, what are you talking about?"

"Don't you recognize her? Remember those commercials with all the starving children? 'Can you spare a dime a day?' This is Angelique Gabrielle; she's a world famous philanthropist who specializes in children's charities." He can be so thick sometimes, she thought to herself exasperatedly.

The Baroness smiled affably. "You're right, Agent Scully. I am who you say. But you must understand that just because I am Kindred does not discount the mortal I once was. We feel the same emotions you do, but from a slightly different perspective."

"I don't understand," Mulder stated in a tone encouraging her to go on.

"Don't worry...you will. Both of you will. This world is hard to take in all at once. It took me the first hundred years to get acclimated, don't expect to understand us overnight. But a word of warning..." they looked at her quizzically. "You have the run of the house, and may go where you wish, but you may encounter some interesting characters along the way, especially on the grounds. Be careful; stay out of their way. Despite the civility you have seen so far, remember that we are above all else predators. We do feed on the blood of mortals; though we do not need to kill to survive, there are those who simple enjoy it." Her matter of fact air pinned her guests' attention. "You are to us as a steak is to you—food." Then her expression changed, and her concentration seemed to intensify. "But do not fear, you are under the protection of the noblest of our kind. Be wise, and you will be safe." With that, she rose from the table and left them to their meal.

Slightly dazed, but skeptical to the bitter end, Scully voiced her fear. "I don't like this, Mulder."

"Scully, if they had wanted us dead, we would be already. I'll admit there is something else going on here that they haven't told us, but I believe they really are trying to protect us." He sipped his wine again. "I need you to promise me something..."

"What's that?" Promises to Mulder rarely went unpunished.

"Behave—that's all." With a wink, he lifted a forkful of food to his mouth.

xx

next day.....

As she strolled along the dimly lit corridor, Scully considered all the things she had seen and experienced the last few days. Inevitably, her thoughts turned to all the characters in this drama she was trapped in. As a scientist, Scully couldn't help but be intrigued by these seductive creatures. They were all so different, and yet they fit together perfectly, as pieces of a puzzle. Krane, Sebastian, the Baroness—each a tool with a specific role to fill, all under the direction of their leader. Now there was a paradox to consider—Morgan Black.

She continued at a casual pace, enjoying the artwork on the walls, until she found herself in the library. Standing near the windows overlooking the garden and lost in her own thoughts, she did not see the dark figure emerge from the shadows until he was upon her.

He was not among the occupants of this house that she had been introduced to thus far, and the fact that he was here made her nervous. His short, stocky frame held a relaxed air that was completely opposed to the stone cold stare he fixed on her.

In the face of her current living conditions, Scully had taken to never being without her sidearm. It had been clearly demonstrated that a bullet offered very little protection against the threat before her now, but nevertheless, it did offer some comfort to know her weapon was within reach, nestled inside her jacket pocket.

He sauntered rather and walked toward her and began circling her menacingly like a shark ready to strike. "So you are the mortal 'my Prince' has chosen to favor with his protection." His voice was taunting her with its patronizing superiority, but she had given her word to Mulder that she would do nothing to antagonize the inhabitants of this world.

She responded politely, "Yes, I am one of them." Her hand slipped into her pocket and she fingered the safety on the gun.

As he finished his perusal of her, he came to a stop facing her. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Vitello Vindigni—Giovanni clan." The slight bow he offered only served to mock her further.

"Dana Scully. So tell me Mr. Vindigni, are you a guest of the Baroness?" She had to figure out just whom the hell she was dealing with.

"In a manner of speaking. I have some business to address with your 'guardian angel'." The short silence that followed was just enough of a distraction. Without warning he lunged at her. His speed was so staggering that she was already restrained before his motion had a chance to register in her mind. He was standing behind her now; one arm locked around her waist, the other wrapped around her shoulders with his hand firmly cupping her chin. She began to struggle, trying to escape, but the harder she thrashed, the tighter he pulled her to his chest.

The realization that resistance was futile began to grip Scully's mind. Maybe I can talk my way out of this she thought with only a glimmer of hope. "What do you want?" she hissed.

"Only to taste what 'my Prince' has kept for himself." Contempt and rage was all she heard coming from the voice in her ear. "Don't worry, my dear. I have a feeling you're going to enjoy this."

She sensed the nearness of his mouth and tried to turn her face to see him, but he held her chin fast and turned her away exposing the tender flesh of her neck. She noticed in a blinding flash of clarity that even though he was so very near to her skin, she could feel no breath coming from him. He began to run his cold tongue along the defining lines of her throat as he traced small circles on her stomach with his thumb.

"I've often found it intriguing how interchangeable human emotions are," he said quietly into her ear. "The way, for example, arousal can masquerade as fear. Tell me, Dana, are you aroused or are you afraid?" His voice wrapped around her like a shroud. Every one of her senses was overpowered by the presence of this creature. His touch was cold and hard; he looked of nightmares she would just as well not remember; he smelled of death.

Her terror paralyzed her. She wanted to scream or fight—anything to make him stop. But there was no way out. Finally, she found her voice through the haze of her fear. The shriek she pushed from her body resonated through the halls of the house. Before the echo had died away...

The pointed fangs had barely touched the thin protective layer hiding her blood-engorged veins when a blast of glass and wood showered over them. The Giovanni lifted his head from his prey just in time to see the figure of his attacker before the strike—but it was too late.

As his claws sank deep between the ribs of his victim, Morgan Black let out the roar of an animal consumed by madness. In one fluid motion, the impaled Giovanni was flung across the room, his flight ending only when his body made contact with the opposite wall. "You dare challenge me inside my own domain! You will pay dearly for your insolence!" Morgan began closing the distance, preparing for another assault.

Making herself as small as possible, Scully shrank back into the corner of the room. The only thing that could terrify her more than the violence she had just witnessed was the ferocity with which it was done. She tried to take her eyes off the carnage, but found it impossible. She was transfixed by the raw power displayed before her.

The physical transformation in Morgan defied belief. His strong hands, fingers long and graceful, were now the claws of a beast, each digit protruding razor sharp. The sensuous curves of his mouth were marred and misshapen by the fangs that jutted out from behind his soft lips. His eyes were aglow, not with the intelligence and warmth she'd seen earlier, but with a vicious predatory gleam that looked more like blood lust than anger. All the while, the Giovanni's words haunted her thoughts "...are you aroused or are you afraid?"

The savagery of the next blow sent a chill through Scully's body as the Prince struck once more, sending his stunned prey reeling off balance. But this Giovanni was not to be thwarted. When he had set himself firm once more, he reached inside his trench coat and pulled out a sawed-off shotgun, giving Morgan pause if only for an instant.

The fiery blasts that rang out followed hard upon each other. The bright flare from the gun's muzzle caused Scully to avert her eyes, and when she turned back, she saw her fallen prince.

He had dropped to his knees—two gaping wounds in his chest and belly still had embers aglow within.

The Giovanni cried out in triumph, but this battle was far from over. As he approached the vulnerable figure on the floor, he pumped the slide on the gun once more. He then turned his attention to the meal he was distracted from earlier. "It seems, my dear, that our Prince is more easily vanquished than the rest of our kind were led to believe." He reached out a hand and took Morgan by the hair.

Her eyes never left her wounded hero but traveled back and forth between his wounds and his face. When she saw the smile that crossed his lips, she drew back, sinking further into the sanctuary of her corner.

His hand, covered in his own blood, reached up and wrapped itself around the hand in his hair. Scully's breath caught in her throat when she saw the flesh on the Giovanni's wrist and hand begin to burn as if dosed in acid. He cried out again, but this time in anguish.

"Now that I have your undivided attention..." the Prince spat in a tone that punctuated each word. He fixed his glare intently on the Giovanni, and his brow furrowed momentarily. Without explanation, Vittelo Vindigni began to cringe and cower away from the predator with a vice grip on his wrist.

He scrambled hard, trying to escape. When Prince Black did not let go right away, the Giovanni began to thrash and kick like a madman. When he was released, he scurried into the farthest corner of the room and did his best to shield himself from the invisible onslaught.

The Prince, still on his knees, had never moved and neither had his stare wavered from the pitiful creature that had been reduced to incoherent blithering and whimpers.

Suddenly, Scully became aware of Sebastian's presence in the room. When did he get here? She couldn't understand how a mass the size of Sebastian could go unnoticed even for an instant, but there he was taking a sure hold of her attacker. And she finally breathed easy. His appearance had brought with it an air of safety that she thought she would never feel again.

Quickly she crawled over to Morgan. He had set himself back on his haunches and bowed his head. He was losing strength, that much was obvious, and she took his elbow to help keep him steady. "Prince Black—Morgan...your wounds..."

"I'll be fine. I simply need to feed," he replied as he shrugged off her hands.

Her need to help him was overwhelming her reason. She was a doctor, but she was at a complete loss. No one could survive the damage inflicted on this body. "What can I do?" she asked tenderly.

Trembling with the need to keep control, he raised his eyes to hers and locked them there. For an instant, they glowed more brightly than they had during his battle. The rumbling growl she heard coming from him was enough to make her withdraw. "FEAR ME!" his thunderous voice spat at her.

Without breaking eye contact, he rose to his feet. When his footing was sure, he offered her a slight bow and turned on his heels to face Sebastian. "We'll deal with him tomorrow."

"Of course, Morgan," the mountain answered assuredly.

Without another word, the Prince of Dark City left the room and disappeared into the night.

Moments later, Fox Mulder came running through the door at full steam—weapon drawn. "Scully," he whispered to himself as he saw her on the ground with her face buried in her hands. He dropped down beside her, and wrapped his arms around her tightly.

"She simply had a bit of a scare," Sebastian explained calmly. "Take her back to her room, Agent Mulder. See that she gets some rest."

Mulder lifted his face that had been buried in Scully's hair and looked at the man hanging like a rag doll from Sebastian's monstrous grip. "Did he do this to her?" His voice held all the menace of an antagonized Kindred.

"This filth has made the unfortunate mistake of confronting your partner. She has come to no harm, the Prince himself saw to that. However, she does need some time—and some company. You take care of you ward, Agent Mulder, and I'll take care of mine. I assure you, justice will be swift and severe." He left he room quietly. Dragging his captive behind him.

Mulder turned back to his shaken partner. He lifted her chin so she was forced to face him and brushed the hair from her eyes. "Are you all right?" he asked softly.

"I'm fine, Mulder." Liar he thought as she shook in his arms.

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"When we get upstairs...I'd like to lie down, I think," she answered. But the truth of the matter was, she wasn't exactly sure what had happened.

He helped her to her feet, but when her knees proved unsteady, he wrapped her arms around his neck and lifted her like a sleeping child. They made their way to her room completely unaware of the watchful eye following them from the shadows.

"I'll make this go away, Mulder," Krycek silently promised. "I'll make this go away and you'll be safe again."

xx

Niffusa1@aol.com
Survival Of the Species part II

Survival of the Species By: Niff Classification: XF with eventual M/K slash
Rating: a weak R for the moment
Author's Notes: Some of the character in this story are characters played in a live action role-play game. They have been used with their creator's permission. If you have any interest in knowing more about the game go to http://www.tiac.net/users/crucifix/index1.htm To all Dark City denizens—I hope I did you justice. Nic and Aries, once again thanks for the beta and all the encouragment. You guys are the best!
Disclaimer: The characters you recognize belong to CC, 1013 Productions, and Fox. All other belong to the people from Dark City who created them.
Feedback: There won't be a part 2 without it, so FEED ME!
Niffusa1@aol.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]