Alex
by Mona Ramsey


The tv flickered, something innocuous, something for three in the morning. Flowbee, probably, or make thousands in your spare time. He never watched that.

He had missed the end of "War of the Worlds." Video just wasn't the same; tv had an immediacy. You had to be somewhere at that time, it was a date, a time, something tangible. Great, he thought. My reality is now determined by TV Guide.

Still, he had fallen asleep before the end. Or, rather, they had fallen asleep. His warm body was curved precariously near the edge of the sofa, but he slept on, completely unaware. They were tangled together, his arm curved around Alex's waist, back-to-chest, although the evening hadn't started out like that. They had necked like teenagers for a while, before Alex suddenly pulled away, giggling, and flipped around in front of him.

"What?" he asked, brushing his lips against the mussed hair.

"I'm missing the movie."

"You've never seen this before?"

"Not since I was a kid." The voice was soft. "I don't remember how it ends."

"We win."

"Well, duh." Mulder snorted at that. "You know what I mean."

He did know, too. They had brushed up against that dark place again, almost getting caught up, carried away. They could have stepped over at any time in the last six weeks, but they didn't, always coming so close to the edge, before one of them pulled back. Somehow he thought that once he knew that Alex loved him, that it would be different— easier—but it wasn't. They were taking it slow—too slow?— but neither one of them had completely dropped their defenses. Or rather, one had, but the other-

"Damn."

"Hunh?" Sleep-slurred noise, then Alex rolled—the wrong way. Mulder reached out an arm and pulled him back, close, before he fell off the couch.

"You need a bigger couch."

"I need a lot of things." The head twisted, a bloodshot eye peeked up at him. "The bed's free."

"Yeah." Alex had crashed there many times, crawling into the previously seldom-used bed when he was too tired to go back to his apartment. Mulder usually kept him there late on purpose, he liked knowing he was there. He had fought Alex's leaving, but there wasn't really a valid reason that he could give for him not to move out once the indictments were put into motion. He was simply too high-profile to hurt now, so he couldn't argue that he needed protection anymore. And there wasn't any other reason—

Alex turned and pressed hard against him. The kiss was fleeting. Then he pulled himself away and headed for the bedroom. He turned in the doorway.

"I missed the end of the movie, again."

"So did I. We probably won."

Alex smiled, tiredly. "Yeah."

xx

He had no idea why he'd agreed to this. Parties were interminable to him in the best of circumstances, but an FBI party—the whole concept was just so wrong. Still, Scully had nagged him into going, and Scully never nagged unless it was important. The case was wrapping up so well, and the shockwaves were still reverberating. Cancerman dead, the others dead or rounded up—it was big news. The world had changed.

A party seemed almost distasteful, but it wasn't celebrating death, it was the annual Christmas party. This was the first time he could actually conceive of going—the atmosphere around "Spooky Mulder" had changed at the Bureau. Respect, hard-earned, was trickling it's way down to him. Reluctantly, in spite of himself, he was enjoying the feeling.

So he was going. And not only that, Alex was going, too.

Wow.

"Pretty good, huh?" He blinked, and Scully smiled at him, her eyes sparkling. She looked great. Not just great, but, to corner a stereotype, she looked fabulous. Rich, green velvet, wicked-looking heels, hair swept up—and her smile was infectious. And at her side—what?—Skinner. In a tux. Hand on her arm.

The world really was coming to an end.

"Everybody's here. I can't believe who's crawled out of their holes to come here tonight." Mulder shot her a glance, but she was busy scanning the crowd. She grabbed his arm. "Isn't that Emily Green?" she asked, directing him with her eyes. "I didn't know she was back from Canada." Then, before he could stop her, she was crossing over to where the tall, stunning agent was standing.

Emily Green. Great, that was all that he needed tonight. A flash of memory brought him back to a night almost four years ago, a night he spent with Emily Green at a computer terminal that nearly—nearly—turned into a much more meaningful encounter.

Before he knew it, the green-eyed blonde was standing at his side. "Fox Mulder," she smiled, and reached out a hand. "It's been a long time. I can't believe I'm seeing you at one of these things. Still, with the year you've been having, this should be a celebratory bash for the X-Files alone. So, are you joining us on the stag line?" At his puzzled look, she explained, "All of us poor unfortunates alone at this professional function."

"Well, I—" Before he could get any further, behind him he heard a familiar voice saying, "Scully, wow, you look incredible."

"I wish people wouldn't keep saying that like it was such an unbelievable effort on my part, Krycek," she sighed. "If I had known I'd get such a reaction, I would have worn a suit."

"Well, you would have looked wonderful even if you had," he assured her. "But still, wow—"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," she laughed. "I've heard all I want to, for the moment. You clean up real nice, too, Alex."

This final remark startled Mulder. He couldn't remember ever having heard Scully call Krycek by his first name. Their conversation continued.

"So, which one of these guys won your hand for the evening? Or are you on the prowl?"

He could hear her mock-glare, and struggled with a smile. Then Alex said, more seriously, "Ah, sir, good evening."

"Krycek." Dryly put, succinct. Mulder winced. Then, to Scully, "So, do we dare risk a dance at a public function?"

Mulder had been aware that his superior and his partner had been developing their friendship over the past few months, and vaguely recalled a few lunches taken together, but he was only now starting to put things together.

"I think we dare," Scully replied.

"Agent Mulder?" Emily Green's voice startled him back.

"Sorry. Lost in space there for a moment," he apologized.

She smiled. "So, are you seeing anyone?"

"I—um—"

"I only ask because office gossip has shifted away from you and Dana," she lowered her voice conspiratorially. At his smile, she continued. "The secretarial pool still has great hopes for you."

At this he smirked, "Well, hope springs eternal."

She laughed. "I suppose I sound like every other married woman trying to pair up the poor unfortunate unattached."

"I didn't realize you were married."

"Wow, you are out of the gossip loop, aren't you? I got married about a year ago. He's not with the bureau, thank god, although for as much as I see him, he might as well be. He's a doctor."

"Nice, low-key profession."

"Yes, I'm learning that. Well, I'd better not monopolize your time any more tonight. The vultures are starting to circle."

"Help," he said weakly.

"You'll be fine, Mulder. Nothing compared to what you've been up against this year."

I'm not so sure, he thought, as she walked away. Drawing a deep breath, he turned around.

Alex was standing a few feet away from him. He was dressed similarly to Mulder himself, a dark tux, white shirt, but with no tie. It wasn't his outfit that drew Mulder towards him, though—it was the look in his eyes. He looked lost.

"I shouldn't have come," he said, without looking at Mulder.

"We can leave."

"No, you shouldn't. Scully was right, this is your night. You should gloat a little. Get back at the bastards."

"I couldn't care less," he said. "If you want to leave, we leave."

At this, Alex looked at him for the first time. He could see the sincerity in Mulder's eyes and visibly relaxed. "I just feel like any minute someone's going to put the cuffs on me and hustle me away. 'Hide in plain sight' sort of thing."

"Except that you're not hiding anymore."

"I guess I'm just too used to it to get over it so fast." He looked around. "I don't even think I know anyone here."

"I'm here, and Scully."

Alex smiled. "Yes, Scully. It's a revelation, isn't it?"

Mulder wasn't sure if he was talking about the outfit or Skinner, but he agreed anyway. "There must be someone else—"

At that, a hand came around and clapped Alex on the back. "Alex, god, I can't believe you're here."

Alex was pulled into a hug by a big guy, solid, dark hair. Donovan, Mulder thought to himself.

"Bren," Alex said, with a laugh, "I'm having trouble breathing."

"Aw, sorry, Alex. It's just so good to see you. I was expecting a visit sooner."

"Well, I've been somewhat low-profile for the last" two years "little while." He turned to his side. "I'm sorry, Mulder, do you know Brendan Donovan?"

"We met a couple of years ago at VC." He reached out a hand. "Donovan."

"Of course everyone knows Fox Mulder. Amazing case you're wrapping up. I'm looking forward to the trickle-down." He turned back to Alex. "You look well, Alex. How are you doing?"

"Can't complain," he said. "Life's gotten a whole lot better, lately." He shot a quick glance at Mulder.

Deciding Alex was okay catching up with this old— friend?—Mulder turned towards the dance floor. A few of the "vultures" were indeed making broad circles around him, and he decided to fan the gossip flames a little by cutting in on Scully and Skinner.

"May I?"

"Certainly, Agent Mulder, if it's all right with the lady."

"I'd be honored."

Once they started to dance, Mulder said, "So, what's with the new Scully this evening?"

"What do you mean, Mulder?"

"The clothes, the attitude, the date—"

"It's not a date," she protested.

"Not officially, maybe," he said, "but he's acting like a date."

She smiled. "Well, I guess," she agreed. "I decided to make my New Year's resolution early this year."

"And what is it?"

"To take more time for the things that are important. I mean, the things we do, the work, the search, they're important, but they're not the only things."

Mulder nodded.

"I can't remember the last time I had dinner with my mother, for goodness' sake. And we're supposed to be close. And as for Assistant Director Skinner—" Mulder raised his eyebrows at that "we are just friends. For now."

They danced a little while longer in silence, and then Scully said, "So, what's with the old Mulder?"

"What?"

"You know. I thought things were progressing between you two. But this past week you've been tense and moody, even for you." She looked over at Krycek. "Alex seems to have found a friend."

Mulder glanced over, and then back, but she had caught him. "Ha! That was a jealous look, if ever I saw one. Mulder, Donovan's married—"

"And I'm straight, according to the grapevine. What does that mean?"

"Why are you so worried? Has something happened?"

"No." Absolutely nothing, he thought.

"Ah," she said, perceptively. "Are you going to end it?"

It hasn't even begun yet. "I don't know."

"Mulder, I'm sorry. I wish I could give you some advice, but I'm not much better than you at this stuff."

At least you're taking a chance. "It's okay, Scully. I've cried on your shoulder enough about this. I can't get anyone else to make this decision for me, no matter how much I try."

"It'll be okay," she said, as they walked off the dance floor. "As long as you do what you need. Trust your instincts. I do."

xx

They stayed at the party much longer than they had intended. Brendan Donovan's approach to Krycek had seemed to open a gate of old acquaintances who greeted the redeemed former agent. Mulder, too, had been engaged by a number of people anxious to talk shop, and a few 'vultures' braved a dance invitation, two of which he accepted. The evening was a success.

Well, a qualified success, anyway. Having drank a bit too much, Mulder decided to take advantage of the evening's car service. He pulled Krycek into the back with him.

Alex, too, was feeling no pain. He settled into a light doze as soon as he hit the seat, so when the driver asked for the address, Mulder just gave his own.

"C'mon, Krycek, time for bed."

"Promises, promises," Alex mumbled, and unsteadily pulled himself out of the back of the car.

They made it into the apartment, and Alex weaved his way to the bedroom before Mulder could even turn on a light. He smiled when he realized that Alex knew the way even in the dark. He followed him in to see if he needed anything.

Alex had pulled off his jacket and collapsed on the bed. Too much to drink, a late evening, and too much socializing had taken its toll on him. Mulder reached over to pull off his shoes and started undoing the shirt when Alex rolled over and buried his face into the pillow. He was fast asleep.

"I hope that's not a rental," Mulder murmured. He was going to leave, but instead sat on the edge of the bed. He reached out a hand to touch Alex's back, surprised at the heat that he felt. Alex was always a study in extremes, temperature-wise, either he was an oven, or he was freezing. There was no middle ground, except when they slept together on the couch, and Mulder modulated him. They complemented each other.

"I could have my way with you, you know," he murmured, leaning over to place a kiss on Alex's neck. "And you wouldn't even fight me off. So why don't I?"

With the unanswered question in the air, he snapped off the bedside lamp and went out to the couch.

xx

A smell of fresh coffee woke him the next morning, but he didn't open his eyes right away. Alex was in the room with him, he could sense him, and he played possum, wanting to see what he would do. Slitting his eyes an imperceptible bit, he watched.

He was sitting across from him, sipping some coffee, flipping through, of all things, an old 'Lone Gunman'. The tv was off. Mulder had fallen asleep to it, as usual, and Alex must have shut it off when he got up. He was showered— his hair still wet—shaved, and dressed in some of Mulder's casual clothes—a pair of jeans that were just a little too long and tight for him and a t-shirt. Mulder vaguely wondered what time it was.

After about ten minutes, Alex had finished his coffee and went into the kitchen. When he came back in, he took a long look at Mulder, then strode into the bedroom, coming out with his tux on a hanger and a borrowed jacket in his hands. When he leaned over Mulder for a goodbye kiss, the prone man unexpectedly grabbed his wrist and pulled him down on the couch. The jacket and tux slid to the floor.

"How long have you been awake?" Alex asked, a little breathless.

"Little while," Mulder mumbled into his ear.

Alex pulled back, a strange look on his face. "I'm not sure if that means you don't trust me, or you do."

Mulder was silent. Alex reached down for the dropped clothes and attempted to pull himself off the couch.

"Where are you going?"

"Home. Gotta drop this thing off," he said, indicating the tux, "and change. I'll bring these back tomorrow, I guess."

"You've got something planned for today?" It was Saturday, no work, and they usually did something together - a movie, something on tv, the gym, or lunch out somewhere.

"Bren—Donovan," Alex quickly amended, "he invited me over for dinner. Meet the wife sort of thing. It seemed like such a normal, suburban type thing to do that I said yes."

"Ah," Mulder said. "'Bren.'"

"Do you want to ask me something, Mulder?" Alex asked, suddenly tense. "I kept getting these strange looks from you all night, and now this. What do you want to know?"

"What do you want to tell me?"

"Brendan Donovan has been a friend of mine since high school. Just a friend, but a good one. He told me last night that he knew that the charges against me were false, but, of course, he couldn't get a hold of me to help." He paused, then said, "Now, would you like a list of the people that I'm sleeping with? Alphabetical? Chronological? By gender? What?"

Mulder was struck by the question, then he realized that he knew that Alex wasn't sleeping with anyone—he recognized the sexual tension every time they were anywhere near each other. It wasn't just desire they both felt, it was frustration. It had been a long time, for both of them.

He was about to apologize when Alex collapsed on the floor in a heap. His head in his hands, he mumbled, "I am so tired, Mulder. I've been running for such a long time that I didn't think I could stop. But I have stopped, and now, I don't know what's going on here. I know this isn't easy for you—I know you don't have any experience with men— maybe I should just go. Maybe we shouldn't see each other any more. I mean, I'm willing to wait as long as you need, but if it's just hurting both of us maybe we should just stop."

"No," Mulder said. "No. This is my problem—"

"It involves both of us. Don't keep shutting me out."

He sighed. "I'm not used to this Alex, it's true, but it's not just that I've never been with a guy before—although that is big—but I've never been good at relationships with anyone. The best union I've ever managed has been with Scully—"

"I always wondered about you two."

"You know we're just friends."

"Yeah, but, didn't you ever just wonder?"

"Yeah. Maybe, if the timing had been better, or if we weren't working together, or if I hadn't fallen in love with you —"

Alex gasped. He had known, he recognized it in Mulder at almost the same time he realized it in himself, but he was almost certain that he'd never hear the words coming out of the man in front of him. He felt tears start in his eyes and looked down, trying to blink them away.

Mulder cupped his chin and raised the face until their eyes were level. "We have to stop hiding from each other, Alex. I love you. I want to be with you. Stay." He swallowed, hard. "Please."

With a strangled cry and tears he couldn't stop, Alex pushed himself onto the couch, into Mulder's arms. "Shh, it's okay, we're okay," he could hear whispered over and over, but he couldn't stop trembling. "You are exhausted, Alex. Let me take you to bed."

"No," Alex protested, "I want to be with you."

"You will be," Mulder assured him. "Come on."

They slowly made their way into the bedroom, clinging desperately to each other. They peeled away their clothes, leaving only the underwear, and slid into the bed, holding each other.

"God, I want to touch you," Alex whispered.

"Later," Mulder said, stilling his movements. "You need to sleep now. We have lots of time."

And, curled up in the bed together, they both slept.

xx

When Mulder awoke, it was late afternoon. The winter sky peeking through the blinds was showing a rapidly darkening gray. He looked down to the man cradled in his arms and smiled. "How long have you been awake?"

"Little while."

"Does that mean—"

"That means that I absolutely trust you," Alex reassured him. "And it means that you are beautiful when you're asleep. I hardly ever get to see that."

Mulder was about to return the compliment when Alex suddenly pulled out of his arms and the bed. He raced out of the room muttering "Shitshitshit" under his breath.

Curious, he followed him out of the room to find him running through the pockets of his discarded tux, still on the floor. "Ah," he said, pulling out a crumpled napkin. "Phone, please."

Mystified, Mulder gave him the cell phone. The phone call put him at ease.

"Bren? It's Alex. I'm sorry, I completely lost track of time—No, no, don't hold dinner for me—Bren, I'm going to have to take a raincheck—I'm sorry, something's come up" Mulder snorted, and Alex leered at him "and I'm going to have to—What? Yeah, something like that—Oh, next weekend would be great, I promise—Okay, I'll call you on Thursday, okay, and firm it up? Great, great, apologize to Susan for me, okay—Thanks, Bren, bye."

"Something like what?" Mulder asked.

"I told Bren that I was sort of seeing someone last night - he's been fixing me up ever since he got his first serious girlfriend. What is it with people who are involved, anyway? They can't seem to leave everyone else alone."

Mulder smiled at that. "I don't know, misery loves company?"

"Probably," Alex agreed. "Anyway, I wanted to dissuade him from trying it again. I can't believe that I almost forgot about dinner."

"Well," Mulder said, "we were kind of involved."

Alex blushed at that. "Do you realize," he said, getting up and walking over to Mulder, "that ever since you told me that you love me, we haven't even kissed?"

"We haven't?" Alex shook his head. "Well, we'd better, hadn't we? Make things official."

With that, Mulder wrapped his arms around Alex's waist and drew him close. They closed the distance between their mouths with a deep, passionate kiss. When they drew back and had caught their breath, Mulder asked, with a deceptively straight face, "So, what do you want to do now?"

Trying to hide crushing disappointment and failing miserably, Alex replied, "Uh, well, I don't know. You?"

"I think that I want to take you into the bedroom and make love to you. How does that sound?"

"You are a cruel man, Fox Mulder. Don't ever scare me like that again."

"I promise," Mulder agreed. They stood there awkwardly for a moment, and then Alex shivered. Mulder realized that they were standing in the middle of the apartment in just their underwear. Taking a deep breath, he took Alex's hand and led him back into the bedroom. He started for the bed, but Alex stayed in the doorway.

"Honestly, Mulder, we don't have to do this yet, if you're not ready."

"You don't want to?"

"Are you kidding? After six weeks of drooling over you and having an exclusive relationship with the Palm sisters every night?" Mulder laughed out loud, and Alex did, too, joining him to sit on the bed. "Are you sure?" he asked, after a minute.

"I'm sure."

The look in his eyes was so naked and honest, as if he had just realized that he did want this, that Alex had to look away. He turned to close the blinds, then turned on the bedside lamp.

"What—" Mulder asked, indicating the light.

"I want to see you. All of you." And with that, he came back over to Mulder's side and pulled him down on the bed. They were facing each other, stroking each other's chests, arms, a cheek, a thigh, and all the while kissing so deeply that Alex though he'd come in his underwear. "Whoa," he said, pulling back, "this is a little too fast."

"We have all night," Mulder teased, nuzzling his earlobe. "We can do it again, if we like it."

"If? Damn, Mulder, I'm at least going to be naked before I come. And so are you." He quickly shed his underwear, then reached down for the other man's waistband and pulled the boxers off him. The urgent erection that had been pressing against him was freed. Christ, it was beautiful, and big—the biggest one he'd yet encountered. This was going to be fun.

He hadn't realized he had gasped until Mulder pulled him up for another kiss. "You okay?" he asked.

"I'm more than okay," Alex asked, then slid his tongue down the other man's chest, pushing him back onto the bed as he did so. He pushed himself down until he was faced with that gorgeous penis, waiting for him, and engulfed it with his mouth. He felt the immediate tension of Mulder losing control, and pulled back. He smiled at his "Jesus" delivered through clenched teeth, and paused, considering. Making a decision, he wet two fingers in his mouth and then slid back onto Mulder, taking him deep in his throat. Reaching around with his hand, he plunged the two wet fingers deep into Mulder's tight ass, pushing hard. He came in a torrent, barely muffling a scream, hands desperately twisted into the sheets. He gushed into Alex's waiting mouth, his complete release and the friction of the mattress triggering Alex's own climax.

Finally sated, Alex reluctantly pulled himself off of Mulder, pulling his fingers out of him and kissing his relaxing penis. He rolled off and collapsed beside him on the bed. The only sound to be heard was their laboured breathing.

xx

"My god, Alex—

"I've waited such a long time—"

They both spoke at the same time, stopped, and started again. With a laugh, Mulder pulled him up closer, and brought the blanket up around him. Alex tried to pull away, unsuccessfully.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Just to get a towel. I came all over the bed, and your leg, and—"

"Leave it. I think the bed's going to get a whole lot messier before this night is over, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Alex's voice was husky, and he relaxed back into Mulder's arms.

Needing desperately to taste him, Mulder pushed Alex onto his back and loomed over him. He couldn't even wait to let the man rest, and he realized with a start that he was getting aroused again, just looking at him. His beautiful eyes, and that mouth—relaxed, soft—the damp, tousled hair - he was transfixed. He brought his mouth gently down to Alex's, plunging in deeply, claiming it as his. "You're mine, you know," he said, when he had the strength to draw away.

"I know," Alex nodded. "Completely yours." Suddenly overcome with an unaccustomed shyness, he looked away. "Anything you want, Mulder—I'll do anything."

"I want to feel you, all of you. I want to be in you. Now."

Mutely, Alex, stared at him, reaching to stroke his nipples. Rising up for another kiss, he wordlessly gave his permission. "Do you, uh, have any lubricant?"

"Damn, I don't think so."

"Don't worry. I'll find something." Alex did pull away then, and Mulder stared at him, at the strong, muscled back, and then lower, to the unbelievably arousing sight of the naked curve of his ass.

"Perfect," he called, coming out of the bathroom with a little bottle of massage oil, a couple of towels, and a smile on his face.

"I forgot all about that. I don't even know why I kept it. It was a sample in the mail."

"You must have known you'd have a use for it, someday." Alex handed the bottle over to him, and climbed back into the bed. "How do you want me?" he asked.

"I have no idea," Mulder said, when actually faced with the reality of his request.

"I'll decide, then. I think I want to be on my back in front of you. That way I can see you when you come inside me."

"God, Alex—"

"Shh," he shushed him with a kiss. "I want it, too. No more breaking your promises."

"You'll have to help me out here, Alex. I don't want to hurt you."

"I know that you'd never hurt me on purpose, Fox." Mulder's eyes glowed green at the mention of his name, but he liked it. Coming from Alex, here, now, it was a caress. He kissed him. "Lucky for us both, I'm not a virgin. Otherwise," he reached for Mulder's swelling erection, "I don't think we'd be able to do this the first time."

"Well, I am a virgin, at least when it comes to this. What do I do?"

"Use a lot of the oil, on you and on me. Then, well, go slow, at the beginning. I'll let you know if you're doing it right." He reached around and pushed the pillows together at the head of the bed, then leaned back against them. He beckoned Mulder closer with his hands, grasping him and pulling him in for a kiss, then snaked his legs around the agent's slim waist. Mulder fumbled with the oil bottle, then steadied himself and poured a generous amount into his hands, slicking the warming liquid over his almost painful erection. He thrust first one finger, then two into Alex's impossibly small opening, feeling him stretch to accommodate the invading digits.

Lost in the vision of his hand inside Alex, he was startled to hear his voice.

"Mulder? Are you all right?"

"Sorry," he shook his head, as if clearing his brain. "I'm just losing myself in all of this."

"Good. Now how about losing yourself in me?"

It was all the invitation he needed. Slowly, carefully, and not a little afraid, he pushed gently against the small hole. The head slipped inside, and he paused. Seeing Alex's encouraging smile, he started to push, a little at a time, until he was completely inside. Then he collapsed on top of Alex, giving their bodies a chance to accommodate each other. His head was on Alex's chest, and he could hear the reassuring, quick thrum of his accelerated heartbeat.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

"You feel wonderful," Alex breathed, "keep going."

The familiar rhythm started then, not so different from what he'd experienced before, with women, but somehow startlingly different. Alex was so warm, so responsive, his moans, his hands, egging him on further, faster. He brushed away Alex's hands at his own erection and settled into a rhythm himself, intent on staving off his own release until after Alex was satisfied. The rhythm was reassuringly familiar, relying on what he himself enjoyed, and he felt, and saw, the pleasure he was giving Alex. His eyes were closed, he was panting, but there was no sign of pain on his face—just unbelievable delight, joy, happiness. Suddenly Mulder stopped, and leaned forward, lying atop the prone man.

"What?" Alex asked, eyes wide with concern.

"You said you wanted to see me when I come in you. You'd better keep your eyes open." He plunged his tongue into Alex's mouth again, biting the already swollen lips.

"Absolutely."

Mulder pulled back, then, and resumed stroking Alex and pushing inside him. Gentleness was forgotten in the heat of their lust, and he knew that it wouldn't be long. He couldn't care anymore if he was hurting him, he just had to push, harder, faster—

Alex came with a cry, spurting his semen over his stomach, his chest. The tightness around Mulder's cock was too much, then, and he felt his climax being forcibly wrenched from his body. He couldn't remember ever coming so much, especially not the second time in such a short period.

He pulled out, sated, feeling completely boneless, and rolled over at Alex's side. He couldn't open his eyes, he couldn't even seem to breathe, and all he wanted to do was just lie there forever, not moving, not thinking.

xx

Finally, he opened his eyes when he heard a small sound coming from beside him. Alex was crying.

"Alex? God, I hurt you, I'm so sorry, Alex, please—"

"No," Alex said. "You didn't hurt me."

"What then?"

"Hold me." It was almost a question, instead of a request. He immediately pulled Alex deep into his arms, feeling the stickiness of his semen join their bodies together. Alex continued to cry for a few minutes, and Mulder felt completely helpless.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why I did that. It was just so—"

"Wild, I know, Alex. I'm sorry. I just lost myself in you, like you said. I couldn't control what I was doing. I just wanted to feel more and more of you around me, and I couldn't—"

A warm mouth surrounded his, cutting off his apology mid-stream. "Fox," the caress was there again. "You said you were lost inside me. Well, having you there was the first time that I can remember feeling completely safe, and warm, and real in years. Maybe ever."

"And that's the reason for the tears?"

"I just don't know what I'll ever do when you're gone."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"It's just going to be so hard, you don't know, you've never had to do it before. I have, I know."

"So we get through it together."

"I want to believe that."

Mulder laughed. Alex looked at him, puzzled, then rolled his eyes and hit him with a pillow. "Aliens would be easier, you know."

"Maybe," he said with a grin, and then, more soberly, "I don't know what's going to happen to us, Alex. All I know is that I love you and I want to be with you. And I want that to be enough for you. I don't want to hide and I don't want to feel guilty, and, frankly, I don't even want to think about all the bad stuff right now." Alex looked at him in amazement. "Hey, can't 'Spooky' take the night off and let Fox out to play?"

"Definitely. It's great to see him." Relaxing against Mulder's chest, he asked, "So, what do you want to think about?"

"Dinner. I'm starved."

"Mulder!"

"Well, admit it, aren't you the least bit hungry?" Alex raised an eyebrow lewdly, but Mulder just groaned. "C'mon, now, neither one of us is seventeen. Three times in a row would be pushing into Guinness territory."

"Okay, but I hope you don't want to go out somewhere, 'cause I don't think I can handle dressing tonight."

"No, take-out is fine with me."

They decided on Chinese and called in a huge order. It would take forty-five minutes to arrive.

xx

They were heating up the shower when Mulder heard his cell phone ring. Reluctantly pulling himself from Alex's embrace, he went to answer it.

"Mulder."

"Hi, Mulder, it's just me," Scully's voice answered him.

"Oh, damn, it's not work, is it?"

"It's good to hear from you, too, Mulder."

"I'm sorry, Scully. How are you?"

"I'm fine, Mulder, how are you?"

"Fine." Pause. "It's not work, is it?"

She snorted. "No. I was just concerned. I didn't want you to mope around your apartment all weekend, and I wondered if you wanted to get something to eat?"

"Well, actually, Scully—I, I'm a little tied up at the moment."

"Handcuffs or rope?"

"Scully!" He was too flustered to even make one of his rude comments.

"I'm kidding, Mulder. Still, I assume that you've got your situation, um, well in hand?"

"You're stealing all my best lines, Scully."

"What can I say, I've been taking notes."

"I knew you weren't writing reports the entire time you sit at your computer. You realize that I'm going to have to hack in, now, don't you?"

"As if you could. My personal security measures include a burly guy named Vinnie who comes out and breaks the kneecaps of anyone who even turns on my computer."

"Vinnie, huh? I thought his first name was Wal—"

"Don't go there, Mulder."

Even her 'stern voice' over the phone made him behave. "Yes, ma'am."

"Now, be a good boy and go keep Alex company. And, Mulder?"

"Yes?"

"Are you happy?"

"Yes, I am," he said, with an enormous sigh of relief.

"Good. Tell Alex that if he ever hurts you I will personally kick his butt."

"That'll scare the hell out of him."

"That's the point. 'Night, Mulder."

"'Night, Scully. Thanks."

xx

The shower spray was warm when he stepped in and wrapped his arms around Alex's waist, sighing against his back.

"It wasn't work, was it?"

"No," he smiled. "Just Scully, checking up."

"Oh," Alex said. "Did you tell her about us?"

"Yeah," Mulder answered, then turned him around. "That was okay, wasn't it? I mean, I didn't even ask you if you wanted to tell people, but she's known that we've been getting closer, and I just thought—or didn't think—"

He was cut off by warm lips against his own. "It's great. We can spray paint it on the side of the Hoover building if you want to."

"Can we really?" Wheels were turning, and Alex looked worried. "Bright pink?"

"Bad Mulder! No! Promise me!"

"Okay, okay. God, I wonder what my mother's going to say."

"She'll hate it?"

"I have no idea. We may never find out. She tends to be pretty closed-mouthed and unemotional."

"Gee, are you sure you aren't adopted?"

"Funny. You can't say I've been unemotional lately. Or closed-mouthed, either."

"No," Alex agreed. "I like it. You should do it more often."

xx

Somehow, they managed to finish their shower cleaner than when they started. Mulder tossed sweats over for Alex to wear, and pulled some loose jeans and a light sweater on himself. They surveyed the damage done to the bed, stripped it down and remade it for that night. Then they wandered into the living room, collapsed on the couch in each other's arms. Mulder flipped the tv to a basketball game, but they were soon more engrossed in each other than in anything on the screen.

The buzz of the door startled them like a couple of kids caught by their parents, but they both laughed when they realized that it was just their food.

"I can't believe we actually ordered all of this."

"Hell, after the day we've had, I could eat all of this myself."

"Just a growing boy, eh, Mulder?" Alex said, wickedly, reaching around to pat him on the stomach. "What did you do for exercise before I came along?"

"Oh, you know, the usual. Chasing bad guys, researching aliens, toppling shadow governments—"

"Takes a lot out of a guy."

"Nothing that a good dinner can't make up for." Alex was looking at him like he was an alien himself. "What?"

"I'm just amazed at the Fox Mulder that I'm getting to know. Where have you been hiding him? Wait a minute." With mock-concern, he turned Mulder around and pulled the neck of his shirt down in the back. After a moment's scrutiny, he let him go.

"Are you convinced?"

"Well, not really. I could just be dreaming all of this and wake up in the morning in the silo again."

"No, you won't. Let me prove it to you." With that, he tackled Alex and they ended up on the floor together in a heap. He covered Alex's body completely, and pinned and helpless, he started to make love to him again.

"Mulder—"

"Alex, I love you. You're here, we're both awake, now decide—what do you want? Me or the spring rolls?"

"Um, both?"

"Good choice."

xx

"No!"

Mulder was somewhat used to being awakened in the middle of the night by a nightmare. This time, however, it wasn't his own.

"Alex? Alex, wake up, it's okay, it's just me, you're safe, I'm here..."

It was difficult, but he managed to wake the man at his side. Alex looked wild-eyed and terrified, a scared boy chasing monsters that weren't real anymore.

"What was it about?"

"What it's always about. I'm running, I'm cold, I can't get warm, I can't stop. The usual."

"Damn." Instinct made him draw Alex even closer into his arms. "Between the two of us, we should be world experts on nightmares. I wish I knew what to do for you."

"You do. You're doing it." Alex was almost breathing normally again. "Do you ever think we'll actually get to lead a normal life ever again?"

"I don't know. What's normal?"

"Good point. I'm pretty sure most of the world wouldn't think that this particular scene" he indicated Mulder and himself "exactly constituted 'normal.'"

"Screw 'em."

"Uh-unh. I'm too tired." He yawned, and Mulder could feel him relaxing back into sleep. "Maybe later."

xx

The next morning Mulder was awakened not by Alex, but a call from Scully. Instead of good wishes, however, this time it was work.

"Minnesota. When's the flight?"

"About three hours. Do you want me to pick you up, or—"

"No," he looked at the bedroom door. He could make out Alex's leg across the bed. "I'll get a ride."

"I'm on my way to the office to pick up the files. You stay there and just meet me at the airport."

"Are you sure? I could come in now."

"Say good-bye, Mulder. You can read everything on the plane just as easily."

"Thanks, Scully."

"'Bye, Mulder."

"'Bye."

He walked back into the bedroom. Alex's eyes were open. "Minnesota?" he asked.

"This time it is work. I'm sorry. There's three deaths they think are attributable to a commune worshipping some sort of sun god—"

"Say no more. I guess I'll have to get used to this, eh? Being an F.B.I. widow." He sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. "I am going to have to get used to this, aren't I?"

"Absolutely. Alex—" the rest of his words were cut off by a kiss.

"Mmmh?" Alex was attempting to push him back down on the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Um, how can I put this? I'm attempting to have intimate sexual knowledge, with your permission, of course, of your person. Is that graphic enough?"

"I have to leave soon. Do we have enough time?"

"I can go as fast, or as slow, as you need. You have no idea what you're in for."

"I'm looking forward to it."

xx

Forty-five minutes later, Mulder was stepping out of the shower. Alex lay sprawled across the bed. "Are you going to stay in bed today?"

"Mm-hmm. I want this picture to haunt you for the entire time you're away."

"I'll never be able to get any work done."

"Maybe they'll fire you for incompetence." Alex's eyes gleamed at the suggestion.

"There's a thought."

"Nah, that'll never work. They'll just send you for counselling, and then you'll have to confess all the erotic dreams you're having about me, and then they won't know what to do with you."

"They might commit me. Sexual compulsion."

"Has it been a problem before?"

Mulder laughed. "Hardly." He made a face. "Although I was warned of the dangers of too much experimentation."

"Meaning what, exactly?"

"Someone suggested my death would involve auto-erotic asphyxiation."

"Whoa." A pause, then, "Who, exactly?"

"It's not important. Just something to keep in mind."

"I don't think I'll be able to think of anything else."

xx

Two days later, Alex answered the phone. Three am. Of course.

"Hello?"

"What are you wearing?"

"Mulder?"

"Who else calls you up at three am to ask you what you're wearing?"

"I'll fax you the list in the morning."

"Thanks." Pause. "So?"

"So what?"

"What are you wearing?"

A laugh. "Well, at the moment, I'm not wearing anything."

"Oh, god."

"You asked. Just me and the covers. You?"

"A pair of jeans that are becoming tighter by the minute."

"That's it?"

"Uh-huh." Pause. "I miss you."

"Good."

"Good?"

"Well, it's better to be missed than not to be missed."

"True. It's much better to be there in person, though."

"Definitely. How's the case going?"

"It doesn't seem to be turning into anything, actually. Just a bunch of hyperactive teenagers."

"Does that mean you'll be coming home soon?"

"Well, if all goes as I expect, we should be back in D.C. tomorrow night."

"Well, that was a lot better than I expected."

"Me, too. I wish we hadn't come in the first place."

"That goes without saying."

Another pause. "Alex—"

"What is it?"

"Would you—I meant to ask you before I left, but we really didn't have a chance to talk—but, well, would you mind —"

"What, Mulder?"

"Moving back into my place. I know it seems soon, but I'd really like you to be there when I get in. I need to see you. I want to know where you are. I—"

"Okay."

Mulder laughed. "I will never get used to that."

"To what?"

"I sweat over asking you things, about telling you things, and you just accept them, and me, at face value."

"I love you. You don't have to worry about stuff like that. Chances are, I feel the same way you do. I want to be there when you get in."

"It could be late."

"I'll wait."

"I love you."

"I know. I'll be waiting."

xx

Twenty hours later, Mulder's flight got in, two hours late. He was practically out of the plane before it touched down. Everything he needed was in his carry-on bag. He looked expectantly at Scully.

"Mulder, for goodness' sake, get out of here. You're making me anxious. I've never seen you so wired. I thought you were going to offer to fly the plane yourself."

"I would have, if it would've got us off on time. I hate delays."

"Just go. I'll get my bag and get a cab. I'll see you at work in the morning."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." She smiled. "Go, have fun." She called out to his retreating form, "Say hi to Alex for me."

He waved his reply, not turning around.

xx

The cab ride took forever. Bounding up the stairs, key in the lock, and—silence. He turned the lights on, called out, but— nothing. No one was there.

Fighting down his disappointment, Mulder took his bag into the bedroom. The bed was neat, there was no sign of Alex anywhere. Pulling open the closet, he was momentarily heartened to see a few of Alex's clothes on the hangers. Still, where was he?

He called his old apartment, but there was no answer. It was too late, but he took a chance and dialed Brendan Donovan.

"'lo," Donovan answered sleepily.

"Donovan? It's Fox Mulder, sorry to call so late, but I was wondering—do you know where Alex is?"

"Alex? No, sorry, I don't. Is something wrong?"

"No, no, nothing like that. We—he—I was supposed to see him, and I can't find him, that's all. I guess we just got our wires crossed."

"Probably. I was talking to him this afternoon, and he said he was going to set up some sort of a surprise, maybe he got caught up doing that."

"Yeah, I guess so. I'll probably catch up with him tomorrow. Sorry again."

"It's okay, Mulder. Let me know if anything's wrong, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. I'm sure there isn't anything, though. 'Bye."

"'Bye."

xx

Half an hour later, Mulder was showered and in sweats and a t-shirt, flipping channels. He was startled by a key scraping the lock, but when it opened, it was Alex.

"Here you are."

"Where were you?"

"At the airport. I went to meet your flight, then you were delayed. They said it was going to be an hour, then another, then another, and by the time I got to the right gate, you were in and gone. I met Scully in baggage claim and she told me you had left already. I was going to surprise you."

"Damn, I'm sorry, Alex."

"It's not your fault. I should know better than to trust the airlines."

"You and me both. I felt like I'd be here sooner if I'd've walked. By the time we finally got going, I was about to."

"Scully told me."

"It's so good to see you. And," he said, kissing Alex deeply, "even better to feel you."

"Mmm," Alex moaned, deep in his arms, "more."

"And more, and more, and more."

xx

"You know what I want?"

"I have a few ideas."

"I'll bet you do." A nuzzle cut off his next words.

"What?"

"You're distracting me."

"That was pretty much the idea."

"How, exactly, did you manage to survive the last few years without a steady sexual outlet?"

"What makes you think I didn't have a steady sexual outlet?"

"Ah," Alex said, turning around to kiss Mulder, "so you were ravaging Scully in the basement all that time. I'm jealous."

"Of me, or her?"

"Hmm..."

"Alex?"

"What?"

"You never told me what you want."

"I'm still distracted."

"Sorry."

"Unh-huh. This is good distracted. I could kiss you forever. You have great lips."

"I've never been told that before."

Alex looked at him incredulously. "Oh, come on."

"What?"

"That is undoubtedly your second best feature."

"Really? What's first?"

"These," he said, reaching across the nightstand and snagging an object.

"My glasses?"

"Oh yes, definitely. There's just something about a man in glasses. Yum."

"I'm not sure what I think about this conversation."

"Mull it over and let me know."

A few more kisses later, Alex asked, "So?"

"Jury's still out." Another kiss. "All right, I can live with that. So, what do you want?"

"Wear the glasses."

xx

monaram@yahoo.com

Part Three

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]