Eight
by Mona Ramsey


Alex turned over in the bed, something unfamiliar about the way that he was sleeping rousing him. He looked around, trying to realize what it was, then sighed. He could faintly hear the television from the living room. A check of the bedside clock showed it to be 2:16 a.m. Just about time for the IronSaver infomercial.

Mulder didn't say anything until he was fully in the room. "You're just in time. I was thinking of ordering one of these."

Alex handed him the phone, pushing him over on the couch to make room to sit down.

"You're supposed to be stopping me. Neither of us can iron worth a damn."

"I iron wonderfully. I just choose not to."

Mulder shook his head, dropping the phone on the coffee table. "When I think of what we could be saving on dry-cleaning bills—"

"Don't get any ideas. I'm not turning into June Cleaver."

Mulder leaned over and kissed Alex on the neck. "You look lovely today, Mrs. Cleaver." Alex smiled at him. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

"It wasn't you, it was the bed."

"The bed?"

"Uh-huh." Alex lay down in front of Mulder on the couch, pulling one of Mulder's arms around his waist. "I was hot. I'm not used to waking up in the middle of the night and actually having any of the covers. Or a pillow, for that matter."

"I do not steal all of the covers."

"Not anymore, but you used to."

"Alex—"

"I'm not nagging. This isn't a criticism, and I know it's only been four weeks since she died, and I know how difficult it's been for you—but I need my lover back. If not now, then eventually, I need to know that I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night freezing to death because you've taken all the blankets again." Alex pulled his arms tighter around him. "And if you have to sleep on this couch for a while, I want to be here with you."

"I don't want to—"

"What? Be with me?"

"I don't want to burden you."

Alex snorted. "I hate to break this to you, Fox, but being in love with you hasn't exactly been a walk in the park before now. I don't think there's any possible thing you could do that would either surprise me or push me away."

Hazel eyes narrowed at him. "Really?"

"That wasn't an invitation to try."

"Damn." He snuggled closer around Alex. "I love this part," he said, nodding at the tv, "it's where they show you how you can save thousands of dollars by hand-washing all of your Italian wool suits and ironing them without a shine—"

xx

"Are you okay?"

Walter Skinner was peeking around the corner of the bathroom door, to where his wife was unceremoniously perched by the toilet. The morning sickness, while never actually striking her in the morning, had not lessened at all once they'd learned what it really was.

"You can come in."

He shook his head. "The last time I tried that, you threw a shampoo bottle at me." He grinned, "I appreciated your sense of irony, if not your aim."

Dana wrinkled her nose. "Don't make a nauseous woman laugh. It's cruel."

He came in and wet a washcloth in the sink, kneeling down and wiping her brow with it. "Are you feeling at all better?"

"I think I'll live," she said, dryly, then, after a moment added, "dammit."

"Can you get up, or don't you want to risk it?"

She nodded, and held out her hand. "The walk in here is practically the only exercise I'm getting."

"You're not going back to work until the doctor says you're okay."

"I'm fine, Walter," she said, leaning heavily against him. "I'm just pregnant, that's all. It happens all the time." She smiled wearily. "My mother always promised me that when I had children I'd pay for how rough she had it with us. I guess she was right."

"So this runs in the family, then?"

She nodded. "I remember eavesdropping on her trading pregnancy stories with my aunts. Whoever had the most gruesome one won. I'd always assumed she was making it up." She crawled back into bed, closing her eyes for a moment. "I think a new champion is about to be crowned."

"I'm sure she'll be very proud."

"It's the least that I could do."

"Well, just don't push it too far. I would think that you've got the title well in hand by now." He sat down on the opposite side of the bed. Dana's eyes were closed, and she'd fallen asleep. He smiled, thankful that she was able to have a little respite from her misery. Leaning over, he whispered to the barely-there bulge in his wife's stomach, "Give her a break, okay, Melissa? Let her sleep a little while today. If you do, I'll get you a pony when you're six. Deal?"

xx

Alex was watching Mulder stare at the wall of their office. He'd been doing it—Alex and Mulder—for forty-five minutes, chewing sunflower seeds and a pencil, respectively, neither of them moving except to pick up another seed and crack it, or shift the pencil.

Finally Alex put the pencil down and said, "You win."

Mulder looked at him as if he was only now realizing he wasn't in the room alone. "What?"

"You win. The contest." Alex came over and perched on Mulder's desk, thrusting his hand into the sunflower seed bag. "I assumed we were having a contest." He popped a few seeds in his mouth.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"To see which one of us would drive each other insane first. I give in. You won."

Mulder's eyes shifted at his partner, and he leaned back in his chair. "What did I win?"

"The right to pick out my shrink." He paused, then added, "no hypnosis, though. I just want someone who'll sit me down on a nice couch and ask me about my mother."

Mulder laughed. "You're right, you are crazy."

"You've been staring at the wall for almost an hour, and I'm crazy." His hand went back into the sunflower seed bag. "Are you sure these haven't been treated with anything?"

"I was thinking."

Alex made a show of being shocked, and Mulder grimaced at him. "I assumed that. Thinking about what?"

"Life." Pause. "Death."

"Aliens?"

Mulder raised an eyebrow.

"Last time I looked, that's what we were paid to think about." Alex picked up the folder that was opened on Mulder's desk. "Apparently there's a beauty of one in Wisconsin right now, tipping cows over."

Mulder groaned. "A bunch of college kids get drunk and pull a stunt that drunk college kids have been pulling since college was invented, and all of a sudden it's an X-File? I'm offended."

Alex picked up another file. "Vampires in Los Angeles?"

Mulder rolled his eyes. "Is anyone in Los Angeles not a vampire?"

"You know, I think you're getting cynical, Mulder."

"I was born cynical."

"So tell me what you were thinking about. Tell me what you want for lunch. Tell me to get off your desk. Tell me something."

"Something."

Alex made a move to get off the desk, but Mulder stopped him, wrapping his hands around his waist and burying his face against Alex's stomach. "Sorry," was muffled into his shirt. "Bad joke."

Alex sighed. "You're forgiven." He was about to lean over and kiss Mulder on the top of the head when a cell phone rang.

Mulder didn't miss a beat as he pulled the phone out of his suit pocket. "Mulder."

Alex could hear the other person talking, but couldn't make out what was said. Mulder was saying very little. "Where? Okay, yeah. Twenty minutes."

When he was finished, Alex asked, "Who was that?"

"Frohicke. There may be something more to the cow-case than we thought. You want to come?"

Alex shook his head. "Nah. You go ahead. I've got a couple of calls to make, anyway." He smiled. "Don't eat too many cheese steaks, okay?"

Mulder smiled. "Deal."

Alex gave Mulder a three-minute head start, before opening his desk drawer and removing his back-up weapon and sliding it into his ankle holster. As he pulled on his overcoat he muttered, "Frohicke, my ass. Only if he's had a sex-change."

xx

The garage was damp and dark, several of the lights burned out around the rendezvous point. Mulder had to drive like a maniac just to make the appointment anywhere near the time he'd been given by the contact on the phone. Something about her voice had made him take her seriously from her first words, and although it went against the nagging voice of reason in his head, had made him lie to Alex about what was going on. He sighed. Old patterns were damn hard to break sometimes.

Anonymous tips were second nature to Mulder, so much so that he could almost by rote tell the fake ones from the 'truth'. But this one—while so compelling, had drawn him in simply with her final word—"Believe".

"Dammit." It probably was a coincidence, it probably didn't mean anything. Either that or you're going to get your head blown off, and some teenagers are going to find you, your picture plastered all over tomorrow's headlines—'FBI Agent Gunned Down Like Idiot' -

A faint noise to one side made him stop, his hand clenched reflexively around his gun. A whiff of a familiar odour struck him, suddenly. "Oh, my god..." He pointed his weapon towards the noise, and squinted his eyes, trying to see in the darkness. A tiny flicker of red, a little glowing circle in the dark, made him release the safety. "Come out here, you bastard!"

"This isn't what you think—"

The voice was wrong, but Mulder was reacting too fast. He rushed towards the figure, his brain sending thoughts sluggishly, too short, too young, not him. But he was fixated on the cigarette and struck at the man in the darkness. "Who are you?" he demanded of the man, never taking his finger off the trigger of his gun.

A cool familiar feeling struck at the back of Mulder's head, accompanied by a female voice directly behind him. "Please don't make me have to pull this trigger."

"Funny, I was just going to say the same thing."

The gun at his head moved away, and he turned, dragging the cigarette-smoking man along with him. Alex stood there, training his gun on the woman. It was dark in the garage, and her face was further obscured by the bill of a baseball cap.

"Are you all right?" Alex asked, not lowering his gun.

Mulder nodded. "What took you so long?"

"I was practicing my 'How to Tail Your Lover and Still Remain Mysterious' skills. I lost track of the time." He nodded to the man Mulder still had by the back of his shirt collar. "Maybe you should handcuff him."

"Ooh—kinky." Mulder leered at him and pulled out his handcuffs, securing the man to one of the pillars in the garage. "Now, if we could find out who his friend is—" He reached over and pulled the hat off the woman Alex was still holding at bay.

"Jesus Christ," Alex gasped.

"Not quite," she said, dryly. "Whatever this may look like, it isn't the Second Coming."

Mulder had lost his voice entirely, and was staring open-mouthed at a woman who was the mirror image of the late Samantha Mulder.

xx

It took them ten minutes to decide that staying in the underground parking garage probably wasn't the safest place for any of them, and another ten to figure out where to go from there. Finally they jumped in the car and went to a motel outside Alexandria where Mulder rented them a room for the day.

Samantha—Mulder's mind could not stop calling her that, even to himself—said nothing until they were safely locked inside the room. Alex and he were communicating almost telepathically, Alex still managing to hold himself together reasonably well—well enough to keep his eyes and gun hand fixed on the unknown cigarette-smoking man. He was completely ordinary, about forty, medium height, medium build, nothing distinguishing about him except for the yellow-stained fingers that drummed nervously on the tabletop. Mulder had loosed the handcuffs, but he'd taken the cigarettes away from what looked like a three-pack-a-day regular.

Mulder didn't know what to say, what to ask first, his mind wouldn't slow down for him. Finally, he managed, "You're one of them—the clones."

She nodded.

"Why did you call me?"

"You have to stop what you're doing."

He grinned. "They've been telling me that for years. What makes you think that I'll listen now?"

"Because you had her. Or as close as you're going to get. If you keep looking, then all you'll do is drag out further hurt, for yourself, your mother—the rest of them. You have to stop." She was quietly emphatic.

He shook his head. "Who are 'the rest'?" His voice belied his disbelief of the entire situation.

It was her turn to smile—the same full-lipped, broad smile that made Alex shiver when he'd first seen it on Beth. "The other Samantha Mulders." She leaned back in her chair. "You don't honestly believe that she and I were the only two?"

Mulder said nothing.

"What do you want me to tell you? About 'our' childhood? About our parents? About the vacations we went on, about the dreams I used to have, about the men who came around our house late at night?" She stilled slightly, her eyes softening. "About the arguments that we used to overhear? How they used to make me cry, and you'd come and—"

"Stop it." His voice was hard, brittle. "You can't know this. It's not possible."

"Oh, but it is. Implanted memories, brainwashing. It's not as if any of us were someone else at some time. The only thing that we have to remember was what they told us— we were totally blank slates."

xx

She continued on, for hours, telling increasingly impossible-to-believe stories, dropping names of covert government agencies easier than the Lone Gunman. A few times, Alex thought of how those three would have loved to be flies on the wall in this very room, soaking up all of the knowledge that was being revealed. She told of growing up on a farm, with the 'others'—other clones of Samantha, of other people, all memories suppressed before the operations were on the brink of discovery and she and the others were shoved out into the unsuspecting world to fend for themselves. She explained how her memories were once again triggered by a chance meeting with 'herself' one day. She talked, always in the same low, calm voice, almost as if she was reciting a litany of a life that had happened to someone else, instead of herself. It was too much to be fake, to intense to be unreal. Alex knew that Mulder was struggling to fight against her words.

"This is unbelievable."

She smiled at him. "Sometimes you just have to believe in the unbelievable, Agent Mulder."

Even before he asked, Mulder had the feeling that he didn't want to know the answer. "How many?"

"That I know of? Six, so far."

"And how many are left?"

She shook her head. "I have no reason to believe that they ever stopped creating her, not unless they were forced to."

"I want to see them."

"You can't, at least not the ones that I've found. They're all dead."

"How do you know that?"

"Most of them, I found too late. There were only records—adoption papers, photos, family memories. Beth was the only one who was alive." She shook her head. "It's almost ironic that I found her so late—on the brink of life and death. I'm only glad that I was able to help her."

Mulder's eyes widened. "What do you mean, 'help her'?"

She was utterly calm. "I helped her to die."

Alex thought that Mulder was going to scream, but when he opened his mouth, no sound came out. He shut it again, unable to speak. Finally, he said, "You killed her." It wasn't a question.

"I assisted her death. It was more humane for me to do it than it would have been to wait for the brain tumor to kill her."

Mulder was in shock. "And you just killed her? That's illegal, inhumane, and psychotic!"

"She was suffering when she didn't need to. She would have died whether I'd done anything or not."

"You can't know that!"

"I can. I know exactly what her condition was, and her prognosis. Ask any doctor in this country—any cancer specialist in the world, and they'd tell you the same thing: she had a death sentence, with no possibility of parole."

"Why should I believe you?"

"I can't give you one reason, other than the fact that I'm telling the truth. I don't have any reason to hide it, or lie. You want to call the police and tell them that I killed your sister? I'll make it easier for you and confess. You'll probably get a conviction. It doesn't matter."

Mulder shook his head. "I don't understand how you can do this. How you can be so matter-of-fact about any of it."

Her face softened a little, and she sighed. "I know you don't. You think that they—that I, even, with all that you know now, with everything that I've told you—you still think that they were your sister. They weren't. For all intents and purposes, your sister died twenty-four years ago. The rest of us are just vessels, just empty things. Unreal things. Fantasy."

"But they're people! How can you justify eliminating people?"

"It's the same problem that Prometheus had, F—" she barely stopped herself "—Agent Mulder. They created none of us perfect. There were inherent imperfections involved, and all of us are dying. Various degrees of death, mind you, but still dying." She folded her hands on the table in front of her. "Beth Locke had a bout of childhood cancer after she was placed in the orphanage. That's a common occurrence for all of us. And even if we survived then, the adult recurrence of the cancer would come to finish the job. It's as if we were built with ticking time bombs inside. I have files on all of the women that I found—I can send them to you, if you want to read them. The similarities are quite eerie. Even the woman that you shot in the farmhouse had it. She would have been dead within six months."

He looked shaken at that statement. "She was one of you?"

She nodded. "She didn't know it. Most don't, never found out."

"How did you?"

She smiled. "It wasn't until I turned a corner one day and ran into myself. I had never known anything about who I was—my 'adoption' records were sealed, then destroyed, before I could get my hands on them. As much as I can remember, I was about sixteen when I left the farm and was placed with a family. I had a form of induced amnesia. I was told by my 'adoptive parents' that I was their daughter, that I'd been theirs for years, lived with them all my life, and that I'd lost my memory in a car accident the summer before my senior year in high school. I had no reason not to believe them."

"Where are they now?" Alex asked.

She shook her head. "I don't know. They disappeared. Sometimes I think that I dreamed them, and not the rest of it. Sometimes I don't know what's real, and what isn't." She sighed. "Sometimes I wonder if any of it matters." Her gaze turned to the man who might have been her brother, in another life. "What I do know, and believe, is that if you continue on this crusade, more people will die, and disappear, and lose their only grasp on who they think they are."

"The people who did this to you—they can't be allowed to get away with it."

"They've already gotten away with it. There is no way to turn the hands back on this clock, Fox." She didn't even seem to realize what she'd said, reaching across the table that separated them to grasp his hands in hers. "No matter what you do, you're never going to be that young boy again. And if you do find her, she's not going to be the little girl that you lost. You have to let it go."

"I don't know if I can," Mulder said, his eyes shimmering with tears.

Her smile was gentle. "You must." She laid his hands back down on the table. "You can't possibly imagine what it's like to watch yourself dying—to know what will happen. To see the future as it will occur, to me. I will die. That is certain. I may have six months. I may have one month. But you—you have a life. You can stop letting them take it away from you. You can live. For all of us, if you can't do it for yourself."

xx

Darkness had fallen when Alex looked out the window of the motel. They'd been sitting mostly in silence for long minutes, all trying to absorb what had been said. The man in the corner was nearly asleep, he thought—he was the one unknown factor, still, the one of them who'd yet to say a word.

"Who is he?"

Reading my mind again, Mulder?

"A friend. Someone who's been helping me. Someone who knows what it's like to be an unknown quantity."

"That isn't much of an answer."

She smiled. "It's as much as I can give."

Mulder nodded.

"I should go." She reached again for his hand across the table, and gave it a final squeeze. "Keep her, Agent Mulder. Keep Beth Locke. Let her be your sister. Leave the rest of them alone—if there are others." She stood, the man in the corner rising simultaneously. "You found her, and you got your answers. Let that be enough." She made her way to the door of the apartment.

"Where are you going? I don't know anything."

"I can't tell you anything. I can't tell you the answers that you want to know—the whys, the bigger whos. I don't know. I just know what is. Nothing else." She paused. "I'm assuming that you're not going to call the police?"

He shook his head. "No."

"Then I'll go."

He reached out, handed her a card. "Call me. My cell phone number is on the back. Call me anytime."

"It's not going to help anything."

He continued to hold it out. She paused for another second, then took the card. "Okay," she said, ducking her head.

She'd almost reached the door when he called out, "I don't even know your name."

She looked back, a tiny smile almost on her lips, miles away from her eyes. "Oh, I think you do." And then she was gone.

xx

It felt like years had passed instead of hours when they stumbled, exhausted, back into their apartment. Alex checked the place out, while Mulder collapsed on the couch, disbelief and sorrow warring for precedence in his eyes.

When he'd swept everything clean and came back to the living room, he dropped down onto a chair opposite the couch. Mulder was lying on his back, his eyes closed.

"Do you believe her?"

Alex thought for a moment. "Yes."

"So do I." Mulder's eyes opened. "I don't know why I do, but I do." He held his hands open. "Hold me?"

Alex smiled, shrugging his jacket off. He eased his body gently on top of Mulder's and wrapped his arms around him. "Forever."

xx

monaram@yahoo.com

Part Nine

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]