Revelations
by Misha Kimbril


O.K. So I've been reading X-files stories for... eight or so months now? Been working on a few half-finished thoughts and ideas for a couple of months. Just finished one part of a six part series of moments with Mulder and Krycek that was like pulling teeth to get written and still has to go through the beta process. Then I sit down to watch Xfiles and this story just pops out of my head and onto my laptop in under an hour. Go figure.

This is mostly just a little drabble. In fact, I think I was channeling someone else because I have no idea where these ideas came from and I certainly don't write this fast.

All the characters belong to CC as if anybody didn't know that, I just like to play with them (like my daughter and her Barbies.) Of course Mattel would never sue her if she had Ken ditch Barbie for G.I. Joe.

Spoilers for Millennium, don't read if you don't want a small idea of what happened.

xx

"Where the fuck have you been?"

He hadn't even crossed entirely into the darkened room when the all-too familiar voice boomed out at him. Bracing himself for the coming confrontation, Mulder shut the door switched on the light and then turned to face his...

[Alex]

who sat on the couch, eyes dilated from the sudden brightness after sitting in the dark for... God knows how long.

The younger man was gripping a bottle of vodka, which rested in between his legs, and it looked to Mulder like both the vodka and Krycek were half-gone.

"Where. The. Fuck. Have. You. Been."

The simple truth would do. "I was working on case—"

"Yeah, yeah... man fights way out of coffin, news at eleven, I got that part. Saved the world again... rah, rah."

Mulder leaned back against the door and wrinkled his brow in confusion. He hated talking to Alex when he was drunk, almost as much as he hated how much the man always knew about him and what he was working on. But then, that was part of his job, wasn't it?

"What's going on, Alex?"

"Alex... AlexŠ" Alex rested his head on the back of the couch and closed his eyes. "You know you only call me that when you're trying to placate me, don't you?"

Mulder remained silent. Pleading a silent Fifth.

"So... how's Scully?"

<> This did not bode well. <> But he knew immediately that Alex did know. And wasn't very happy about it either, it seemed.

"You tell me," Mulder answered.

Alex took a rather suggestive swig from the vodka bottle, before opening his eyes. Even half in the bag the man could drill a hole right through him with those eyes.

"You kissed her. You fucking kissed her, Mulder."

He closed his eyes. It hurt too much to see that look...

"It was just a New Year's Eve kiss, Alex. It was nothing—"

"It was NOT nothing, Mulder. You were not thinking partner-like thoughts at the time... were you?"

"No," he acknowledged.

A loud crash, and he cringed as the vodka bottle hit the wall to his left and shattered. He felt the droplets on the side of his face, running down his hand. He couldn't move, the weight of the condemnation holding him in place against the closed door.

"I am so sick of this shit, Mulder. I may be a lot of things, but a doormat I am most definitely not."

"What are you trying to say?" Mulder asked. [He's not leaving me. He's not leaving me. He's not—]

"We're through."

[He's leaving me.]

"No. Alex, I can explain—"

"I'm sure you can, Mulder. I'm sure you can." Alex leaned tiredly back against the couch. He motioned with his hand in the air. "Go for it, Mulder. I can't wait to hear it."

Mulder sighed. "Look, Alex... you know there's been a lot between me and Scully over the years."

Ignoring the muffled snort he went on. "It just happened. It's not like we slept together or anything."

"So... this is supposed to... what? Make me feel better? Fuck, Mulder, you give me this big spiel all the time about trust, well you know what? That goes both ways. If I can't trust you to keep your body parts to yourself... what can I trust you with? Maybe you and Scully will finally do the big deed and you'll decide that you need to cleanse your conscience and turn me in."

"I'd never do that!" Mulder said indignantly.

"Yeah, well yesterday I'd have thought you'd never kiss Scully, either." Alex looked at him mischievously. "Does she know where those lips have been?"

Mulder was silent again, for what could he say, really? He'd crossed that line and he'd taken the chance— he just hadn't thought of the consequences of his actions, but then he never did.

"So, now what?" Mulder asked. Except for the vodka bottle, Alex had been calm about the whole incident. Too calm and it was making him nervous. They hadn't had any violence between them in a long time, but he could feel the old tensions in the air. He must have shown some outward appearance of his growing fear because Alex laughed suddenly.

"Jesus, Mulder... what do you think I'm gonna do anyway?"

He got as far as opening his mouth to answer when Alex interrupted him.

"Nevermind, I don't want to know. 'Now, what?' you asked? Now, I pay off Skinner, and leave you alone, that's what."

His mind did a double back flip. "Pay off Skinner?"

"Yeah. Skinner told me you wouldn't be able to keep your hands to yourself. I told him that this was different. That we were different. Looks like you were right, weren't you Walter?"

Mulder watched Alex's gaze shift towards his bedroom door, where Skinner was leaning against the doorjamb.

"Sir?"

[Skinner was here? Skinner... no... Walter , Alex had called him.]

"Looks like," the older man answered.

Mulder did a double take then, finally really seeing Skinner. The man was doing a version of casual that Mulder hadn't thought he'd had in him. A black fisherman's sweater over tight

[tight?!]

black denim jeans and boots. He was leaning on the door, his legs crossed at the ankle, arms folded loosely over his chest. He looked back at Alex, then down at the coffee table, suddenly seeing two shot glasses sitting there.

He glared at Alex. "What the fuck is going on?"

"Nothing, Mulder," Alex mocked him with his own words. Then he turned serious. "It really is nothing in this case, Mulder. Although not for lack of opportunity."

"You. And him?" he motioned absently to Skinner.

Alex stood up cautiously, wavering a bit before balance was restored. "We have a lot of things in common, actually, Mulder. You driving us both crazy is only one."

His brain was refusing to assimilate the information, it just didn't make any sense to him. Skinner and Alex were on opposite sides of this war. Sure, they were both soldiers in their own way, but an FBI Assistant Director and a Consortium Assassin?

"How long has this been going on?" He sounded like a jilted teenager and it annoyed him.

"Nothing has been going on, Mulder. You see, I was under the illusion that I was spoken for."

[Ouch.]

Alex walked around the coffee table, picking up his jacket from the chair over which it was thrown.

Skinner pushed off of the doorway and joined him, and they approached Mulder, who was still in front of the door. He looked into Alex's eyes, and was startled and disappointed that he didn't see any hurt left there. Only a bit of sadness.

Mulder moved away from the door and watched as it opened and Skinner stepped through, gracing Mulder with a look that seemed to shout 'thank you', and left Alex in the doorway. Alex looked at him, and raised his hand as if to caress the side of Mulder's face. He stopped it halfway, shoving it back into his jacket pocket.

"Goodbye Mulder."

And Alex walked out of Mulder's apartment... and out of his life.

Maybe he was wrong when he thought the world hadn't ended at the stroke of midnight.

The End
November 1999

xx



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]