Go to notes and disclaimers


Graveyard II

Kryciet
by Meri Lomelindi


The shot sang through the chill of the air, causing Krycek to increase his pace by a factor of ten as he navigated the narrow aisles between the cars in the airport parking lot. He'd just received word from one of his fellow informants of gunfire near Mulder's last reported location, and evidently that hadn't been the last of it. Fuck—he never should've allowed anyone else to watch over Mulder, not even for an instant. The hired grunts seemed to be incapable of grasping the concept that Mulder lived in constant danger, though from his actions, he wasn't aware of it either. Only Krycek had done the research, figured out the differences between the Consortium's factions; now he knew who would benefit from Mulder's untimely demise. Who wanted him alive, the resources of each brief alliance, and the precarious threads that tied him to life. Those resources were far from few; anything Mulder touched was a risk to him, these days. And no one but Krycek cared enough about the seemingly oblivious FBI agent to look out for his welfare, although Krycek had never exactly told him so. Not that it mattered what Mulder knew if something had happened to him during Krycek's stroll through the Defense archives. Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck. He never should have taken the damned job; Mulder was the priority. Some other idiot could have erased the evidence with just as much ease.

Skidding to a halt as he reached the general vicinity of Mulder's rental car—according to the grunts, and anything they discovered was to be taken with a grain of salt—Krycek blinked rapidly as his eyes adjusted to the lack of functioning lights in this section of the lot. Squinting and muttering an oath, he tried to make out the shapes and models of the nearby vehicles; no luck. Then he stared in consternation and disbelief.

A faint hissing sound had issued from the car directly beside him, and he could see the faint, shady outline of limbs in the veil of darkness, splayed bonelessly along the seat. In a rush of terror he tried to yank the door open and discovered that it was locked, the dark, scuffed boots pressed against the glass taunting him, begging him to gain entry. They were Mulder's shoes.

Precious time slipped by as he tugged on the handle with growing desperation, the pervasive murkiness of fear clouding his judgment. Then, suddenly, he remembered—he had a flashlight.

It was tiny, fitting perfectly into a belt loop, and it shone into the car's interior with a flick of the finger. First on the splatters that coated the window, and then Krycek shifted his grip so that the narrow beam traveled slowly up the length of the long leg to the flat, unmoving chest and the gun that rested upon it, clutched tightly in the hand that had spasmed shut around it in death. The light moved again to focus on what lay beneath Mulder's body, and Krycek found himself facing a disintegrating version of.. himself.

Sunken into the seat and covered in green goo as it was, Krycek could still recognize his clone. The same clothes, the same slightly recessive chin—he found that he couldn't bring himself to gaze into his own eyes. They were probably liquid by now, anyway. Neither could he raise the beam to witness Mulder's expression in death, for he knew what he would see. It was better to remember the hazel eyes, bright with fervor, and the full lips moving as he spoke—even in anger—rather than to see the crack in his skull and the congealed blood marring his features. It hadn't even been the real Krycek; why had Mulder killed himself over a clone? It made no sense—as soon as he saw the green blood he should've..

Oh, thought Krycek. Mulder was red-green color blind.

He slid to the ground, back grinding painfully against the car door, watching as the flashlight tumbled out of his hand and rolled into the darkness. Turned his gun over in his hands, unable to look at it in detail, but able to feel the impression of it against his flesh. Krycek could recall the first time he'd held one of these with perfect clarity; he'd been struck by how smooth and cold it was, deadly, like a snake. He had named his first gun Cobra.

You know what you have to do said the voice inside his head, beckoning to him.

But Krycek wasn't sure, pressing fingers against the icy barrel of his weapon, testing its weight. He wanted to touch Mulder; he could, if he broke the glass and unlocked the door. It wouldn't be difficult, and then he could say goodbye.

Mulder is dead. What's in the car is a husk said the voice. It was authoritative enough, sounding vaguely like one of his employers. There's nothing left.

His eyes squeezed shut, but there were no tears. The last time he'd cried, he had been eight; the smoking man had ordered a grunt to pummel and torture him until he could stand the blows without breaking. It had taken three days.

You know what you have to do whispered the voice in its most enticing incarnation; Mulder's voice. Follow in my footsteps.

xx

Graveyard III: Wherefore Art Thou

lomelindi@hushmail.com

Date: January 2000
Fandom: X-Files
Contact: lomelindi@hushmail.com, please, feedback!
Spoilers: Tunguska
Rating: PG for cursing, blood, etc.
Class: Story/Angst
Pairing: Mulder/Krycek, slash
Keywords: Mulder Krycek slash character death
Summary: A spin-off from Tunguska; the similarities end when Mulder leaves Krycek in the car at the airport. Also a revisiting of Romeo and Juliet, X-Files style.
Disclaimer: The X-Files and everything therein belong to Chris Carter, 1013, Fox, and company. I'm just borrowing shamelessly. Without profit, I swear.
Notes: Beta by Julie and Orithain, 'cause I begged.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]