Go to notes and disclaimers


Barrel of a Gun II

Numb
by Meri Lomelindi


4:32 AM, February 19th, 1995
Outside 7-11

"Any word?"

Officer Wells was jogging back to the bench with an overflowing bag and a mouth stuffed chock full of potato chips, his dark, sweaty hair plastered to his forehead. He fell onto the seat beside her, dropping a box of wheat crackers into her lap and a Coke Slurpee into her less than grateful hands. After he had finished chewing, he said, "Nope—but I 'spect he'd call you if he was gonna call anyone, ma'a, err, Agent Scully." He munched noisily as he dug into the bag, and the grease was palpable in his voice. She resisted the urge to give him a lecture on a healthy diet and its relation to law enforcement, instead opening the box and nibbling on a cracker. It was stale— not that she had expected anything else.

"I asked for coffee, Officer—didn't they have any?" She tried to keep her tone light, but she had the feeling that her irritation had seeped through anyway.

Wells' mouth was occupied again, so he shook his head and endeavored to empty it. "Machine was broken," he explained. "This was all they had with caffeine." There was a pause while he gulped down a large portion of his orange soda—disgusting stuff, she thought—and then he cleared his throat apprehensively. "You're SURE you don't wanna go back to your hotel, Agent Scully? It's real late, and it's not safe for a woman, sitting out in the open at night."

Wanting to growl at him, she took a deep breath and a careful sip of her Slurpee. It wasn't too bad, actually. She thought that she sounded remarkably calm when she spoke, considering the amount of provocation she'd endured. "Officer Wells, I am not going to sleep until Agent Mulder is found, and I'm sure he would do the same for me. We can sit in the squad car if you'd feel more safe, or you are welcome to take your leave. I'm sure I could wait at the station."

She didn't mention that Skinner had left the accommodations to Mulder who, true to form, had booked them adjoining rooms in the hotel of terror, the Oceanside Inn. It was nowhere near the ocean— Tampa faced the Gulf of Mexico—and it was miles from the Gulf as well. She had gone to drop off her luggage earlier and then fled when she found a roach crawling on the defunct television set. There was no way she was going to return there, and even if it had been clean, she couldn't fall asleep when Mulder had vanished like this. She wasn't terribly worried—he had probably just gone off on some obscure lead—but the way he'd looked right before pulling his disappearing act, so pale and exhausted, was troubling. Thinking about it was an exercise in futility, though, until he returned.

Horrified, judging by his expression of dismay, Wells shook his head vigorously. "Oh, no, Agent Scully. I'll stay up as long as you do. And besides," he added, with a hint of pride, "folks are less likely to bother you if you're with a man in uniform."

Scully fumed silently, toying with the idea of telling him off before she remembered her personal therapy method for situations like these. She had developed it while in the Academy, when a cocky male candidate had jeered at her. Although she doubted that any real psychologist would find it healthy, it always took the edge off of her anger and made her feel in control. Control was very, very important to Scully.

A cracker rested in her hand, untouched, and she began to systematically crush it into infinitesimal little crumbs. Imagining Officer Wells' head in place of the cracker, she noted with glee that a some of the powdery remains had splattered on his uniform, mingling with grease stains. When he tried to brush them off, they stuck to the fabric. "Sorry," she offered innocently, "they aren't very sturdy crackers."

He shrugged, frowning, and settled back against the bench with his potato chips in hand. Scully thought it odd that he hadn't insisted on returning to the squad car even though it was directly beside the bench, but then realized that it was probably ten degrees warmer in that sort of cramped space. Air conditioning most likely had to be rationed the way heat was in D.C. when it snowed.

Sighing wearily, she flipped on her cell phone, dialed Mulder, and wasn't too disappointed when she received no answer. Despite his professed resolve to stay awake, Officer Wells had closed his eyes and was even beginning to snore. She found herself battling the temptation to nod off and, to that effect, downed half of her melted Slurpee; it wouldn't do to fall asleep at a gas station.

She was dozing anyway, only half alert, when the insisting ringing of her cell phone startled her back into wakefulness.

xx

5:10 AM (ET), February 19th, 1995
Location Unknown

cold

Headlights blazed through the fog of his mind, blinding him momentarily, and he shivered. Somewhere, someone was honking their horn with an insistence that made his lateness for work clear. It was dark except for the little spots of white light and a green console that spread out in front of him. For a moment, he imagined that he was on an alien spaceship.

But it was just a car, and Mulder, in the driver's seat, was going ten miles below the speed limit on what appeared to be a highway—in morning traffic, no less. Self-preservation kicked in, finally, so he put his foot on the gas and righted the wheels before he swerved off of the road. A glance at the car's radio told him that it was five in the morning.

Five in the morning when it had been eight in the evening, and he had no idea where the hell he was or how he'd gotten there. He flicked his eyes down for another second and noted that there was nothing new in the car, nothing he didn't recognize; still the same clothes, thankfully, and the cell phone was peeking out from the pocket of his discarded trenchcoat on the passenger's seat. The air conditioning was blasting out of the fans, making his teeth chatter, but his body felt curiously bereft of pain; he hadn't even remembered the bandages on his wrists until he noticed the whiteness of them against the steering wheel. His sleeves had slid down with the angle of his arms, he supposed. Voices still mumbled in his head, but they warbled and wavered and sometimes he couldn't even make them out—not that he minded.

scully

The cell phone was there for the taking and he grabbed it, without much thought, and speed-dialed Scully. It took a few rings for her to answer, and when she did she sounded sleepy.

"Scully."

He felt like he'd just woken up as well, and he couldn't seem to think of anything to say.

scully, helpmehelpmehelpme don't let him do this

"Hello?" She sounded annoyed now, but then her voice softened. "Mulder? Is that you?"

"Sc-cully," he mumbled, "help me." His voice cracked as if he hadn't used it in years, and the curious fog was still there, hindering his actions. Bewilderment was prominent in his mind.

"Mulder!" she said again, sharply. "Are you okay? Where are you? Did you find something?"

"I don't remember—I don't.. don't know where I am." Too late, he thought that he probably shouldn't have been so forthright; she'd think he was insane. Not that the rest of the Bureau didn't think that already, though. The sun was starting to come up, and it brought him some clarity. "I'm okay," he added hastily.

Scully must have thought he was scared, because she sounded both soothing and terrified. "Okay, Mulder. You're okay. Look around—where are you? Help—" A noise in the background interrupted her—a man's voice, from the sound of it—and she sounded faraway as she muttered something to him and then returned to Mulder. Now she was more guarded. "So what are you doing?"

Feeling more lucid, Mulder scanned his surroundings. "I'm in the car, Scully, on the highway in.. just a sec." There were billboards on both sides of the road and he eventually spotted one which spelled out his location. "I'm just outside of Atlanta."

"God, Mulder," Scully replied in her long-suffering maltreated partner voice, a mask over her worry. "Officer Wells and I have been wondering if you totaled the squad car." Officer Wells—who the hell was that? Oh, the man who wouldn't let them touch the body. "Do you need me to fly up there?" It was phrased as an innocuous question, but it was obvious that she wanted to retrieve him and figure out what was wrong.

"That's not necessary," he said, rushing to assure her. The last thing he needed was her hauling him off to some FBI counselor for a round of idiotic psychobabble when he had a degree himself and was perfectly capable of managing. "Besides, the car has to be returned to the precinct. I'll drive straight back—Atlanta to Tampa—it should only take eight hours. They'll probably be less than pleased with me for putting this kind of mileage on the car, but the Bureau is paying for gas, after all. I'll talk to you when I get there." He awaited her reply with bated breath.

"Okay," she agreed, conceding his victory, at least for now. "Meet me at the police station. You remember where it is?"

"I remember everything," he reminded her, trying to sound appropriately wry but not quite succeeding.

"I'll see you there. But call me if you have any trouble, Mulder. Okay?"

little slut

"I will, Scully," he promised as he hung up and tried to find an exit, hoping he had complete control over himself this time.

you'll do anything i tell you to, pretty boy, won't you

The sun was brighter now and he could see the ghost of his reflection in the windshield, haggard and ill. His ass was killing him and his wrists throbbed endlessly, making it hard to steer.

if you didn't want me, why'd you come up here

He couldn't reach the briefcase with the Tylenol in it unless he stopped the car. Fuck.

you know you want it baby

Mulder sped up as he looked for a rest stop.

just dying to have my cock up your ass, just dying

He just sped up, period.

xx

1:15 PM, February 19th, 1995
Tampa Bay Police Station

"It looks like he's back, Agent Scully," someone called out.

Scully peered out the window in an attempt to catch a glimpse of him and, failing that, turned to watch the door. She felt fuzzy and covered with grit, having overslept after a return to the inn for what was supposed to have been a short nap; there hadn't been time for a shower. At least she had a clean suit, though she'd spilled coffee on the edge of the sleeve. Thank God it was a dark jacket and the stain wasn't visible unless you were looking for it.

The door swung open with a clang of chimes. Chimes in a police station, she thought to herself. In the police station of a reasonably large city, no less. Didn't they have any regulations?

"Scully," said Mulder by way of greeting, catching her gaze and holding it instead of avoiding her, as she'd speculated he might do. He looked absolutely horrible but, oddly enough, his walk was steady and unerring. The same dark circles ringed his eyes, glassy with exhaustion, and the rumpled sleeves were again pulled low, almost concealing his hands themselves. The split lip had closed up and would heal smoothly, but he was twice as pale as he had been the previous day, making the scratch on his forehead stand out in stark relief. His hair was matted and she thought for the first time, as she scrutinized, that his suit hung a bit looser than usual. True, he tended to neglect his nutritional needs, and he had just recovered from the ordeal in Alaska, but he should have looked healthier. It just seemed wrong to her.

"Hey, Mulder." A hollow, raw feeling, worry and fear, had lodged itself in the pit of her stomach when she'd first heard his shaky voice over the phone line, and she'd thought it would vanish when she saw that he was okay, but instead it only intensified. He was the one who had run off, so why did she feel like she was coming unglued? Yesterday morning she'd barely thought of him, except in mild exasperation, and now she was well-nigh consumed by the need to keep him safe. Something was definitely wrong with the both of them.

The police officers had gathered around Mulder in something of a loose circle as he entered their headquarters, and now they spread apart to reveal the local detective who had first taken the case. He'd been off duty the night before and unreachable, but when Scully had arrived at the station this morning she'd gotten an earful about how he was perfectly able to profile the case himself and didn't require the help of some kooky feebie (Mulder's reputation preceded him, as usual).

She watched Mulder apprehensively; she'd thought she would get a chance to talk to him alone before the detective accosted him, but the illustrious Detective Peterson was fast approaching, his lip curling in distaste. "Agent Mulder, I presume?"

Mulder shifted his weight and extended a hand which the other man ignored, looking as if he was going to plow right through Mulder on his way to the unsub. "You presume correctly, Detective..?" When he realized that the detective wasn't going to shake his hand, he withdrew it and raised a questioning eyebrow, neither hostile nor particularly friendly.

"Peterson," the detective replied with a fair imitation of a smirk, his tone gruff. There was a tense pause in which both men seemed unsure of what to say, Mulder swaying slightly as if he were about to keel over and Peterson looking as if he couldn't decide whether to throttle Mulder or make him buy a new squad car. "So what did your lead turn up? There wasn't any evidence that the unsub had ever been in Atlanta.." She'd told everyone that her partner had run off to chase a promising new lead, but she hadn't been able to get him on the phone when others weren't listening so that she could tell him what he'd been doing.

Both eyebrows shot up now and Mulder blinked, startled, but he recovered himself quickly and said, "If you'll find me some paper, I'll clear everything up, Detective." He'd smoothed his surprise over with a thin veneer of respect for Peterson, though Scully wasn't sure if the man deserved it. Glad that he hadn't fumbled, she tried to pat his shoulder in her usual fashion as Peterson led them back to a suitable desk. To her consternation, he shied away and gave her his glazed, I'm-busy-profiling look.

So Scully pulled up a chair, halfway across the room, and rummaged for something to read while he cleared the desk. Some officer had given him a yellow notepad and a pen, blue ink, and she watched wonderingly as he scribbled. She's always found it amazing that he could do that without crossing anything out; when she wrote her reports she was forever backspacing, deleting, making things concise and logical. Perhaps it was just another aspect of his genius; he seemed to work things out in his mind before ever putting them on paper. Once, he'd told her that he could envision pages in his mind, the words and placing, and then he'd just reconstruct it. When she tried to do that, everything looked blurry.

There were copies of the autopsy reports on what she supposed was Detective Peterson's desk, and since the man had stalked off toward the restroom, grumbling, she simply snatched them up and began to peruse the file on the first victim. Soon she was receiving odd, darting glances from the officers who milled around the station. She conquered the impulse to tell them off, as she always did, but still applied a fresh coat of her icy mask.

When would people understand that she was just as competent an FBI agent as the next man?

Her scalp was itching, still dirty from the hike through the woods to get to the body, and the make-up she'd hurriedly applied upon waking felt heavy and caked on her cheeks. Stubbornly she continued to read, but after a few minutes, relented and fled to splash some water on her face. A couple of officers were holed up in a corner, whispering as she passed them, and she caught a few words about herself. Unsurprisingly, it seemed to be a running commentary on her sexual prowess and what would happen if someone ever got her to unbutton her suit.

When she got back, Mulder was standing like a zombie, notepad in hand and writing utensil abandoned somewhere. He yawned even as she approached him. "Mulder—the profile?"

He waved the yellow paper at her, filled with his unruly scrawl. "It's done, but I don't see Peterson here." Sleep lingered in his voice, threatening to steal him away, and he scrubbed at his eyes uselessly. The sleeve on his left arm started to slip and she glimpsed something dark, bruised, but he yanked it back with such sudden ferocity that she thought better of questioning him.

Just then, Peterson stepped into the doorway. His ever-present sneer receded somewhat upon acquiring the profile, which he began to skim immediately. There was little in the way of conversation, as drained as Mulder was, and after a minute, the detective flashed him a strange glower. "I didn't consider this," he said, eyes narrowed into slits. "We'll check the records. Don't go anywhere." And with that he stomped out of the room, papers swishing off of the desks with the stirred up breeze.

She'd been standing on the sidelines, watching Peterson, and when she looked up at Mulder he was staring off into space. He'd changed in a way that she was at a loss to define, so different from the Mulder in the hospital bed that she wouldn't have recognized him if not for the bloodshot gaze. "Mulder," she prodded, gently.

For a long moment, she thought he was asleep on his feet, but then he seemed to struggle back into reality. "Scully," he said, abruptly anchored in grimness, "we're going back to D.C."

Floored, she just goggled at him, though she doubted anyone else could see her bewilderment. It was the last thing she'd been expecting to hear. What she wanted to hear, it certainly was, but when had Mulder ever done what she suggested? She cleared her throat and composed her words. "Mulder, we have to stay until the case is resolved. You don't know that they'll find a single person who matches your profile. Besides," she lowered her voice, "I want an explanation for your actions unless you want me to be tempted to report you for psychiatric evaluation."

"We're going back to Washington," he repeated, his entire expression darkening a shade.

Scully crossed her arms and debated before turning toward the door. "Come with me," she ordered, and he followed meekly, shoulders slumped. They walked out of the building and she stopped, finally, on the side of it. There was a shoe shop next to them, but no one was close enough to overhear. "Mulder, what is going on with you?"

"I'm fine, Scully," was his automatic response. He alternated between staring at the pebbles on the ground and focusing on the wall. "I know that the profile is correct. With the specifics I've provided, there can't be more than two or three people who will match it. They'll find the unsub without any further assistance and Detective Peterson can claim the victory. They've got over a day to apprehend whoever it may be before Elsie Gardner is killed."

Funny; she'd almost forgotten about the Senator's missing daughter, having missed the frequent calls to the station from his office, demanding to know what they'd found. Peterson had been whining about them, initially, but she'd tuned him out. "How does your profile differ from theirs?"

"The original profile is accurate—essentially," he said, blearily lethargic. Only his mouth was moving. "The unsub did go to the Persian Gulf, with a less than honorable discharge. Average intelligence, a history of abuse. The same applies to the torrid love affair and the subsequent desire to inflict pain upon anyone who resembled the unsub's former lover. I suspect that the lover was the first victim, and with each kill, the unsub fell further and further into a psychotic state. Even without my profile, the unsub would have grown careless and gotten caught within the next two murders."

"So," she pressed, "what's the difference?"

"The unsub is female."

"Oh." Her mind worked rapidly, processing the information. "A lesbian?" At his nod, she wanted to go back into the building and kick Peterson. "That's one of the first things you're warned about when you go into profiling, right? Not assuming that the unsub is male just because the majority of serial killers are men?"

He nodded again. "They could've caught her a long time ago if they had investigated the possibility of her rather than him."

She tried to look into his eyes, but he tilted his head. He was trying to distract her—she knew that—but this had something to do with the case, too. "How did you know?"

Mulder shrugged noncommittally, and there was nothing in his expression to tell her what he was thinking. "It's hard to explain, Scully. You know that."

"Yeah," she conceded. "Mulder—what happened?" She took a step forward—they'd been standing a few feet apart—and invaded his personal space. He didn't seem to care, normally, but now his eyes flickered nervously.

"Nothing," he said, scuffing at the rocky ground with his shoes. "Just let it go, Scully."

"You know I can't do that, Mulder." She wanted to touch him but, remembering how he'd reacted the last time, took pause.

"Why not?" His tone was defensive, almost betrayed.

"Mulder—" she felt exasperated again and it colored her voice into something that she didn't want it to be. Sighing, she tried again, more softly, an entreaty. "Mulder, when you called me this morning, you told me that you didn't know where you were. You said that you didn't remember."

Something took shape in his eyes, wide and chilling. He looked positively terrified, his posture stiffening, arms rooted at his sides, but his voice had the same casual, weary monotony. "I'd just woken up, Scully. I was groggy and disoriented."

"You fell asleep at the wheel," she asserted, raising both of her eyebrows, though she knew it wasn't true. It was a serious offense for an agent.

"No—I wasn't at the wheel. I was—"

Even as she grew more concerned, she knew that her mask was drawing in, tight and closed. "God, Mulder, don't lie to me. I could hear the engine." There was a layer of stubble on his chin, for of course he hadn't had time to shave, and she reached up to cup his jaw and force him to look her in the eye.

Violently, almost as if she'd tried to hit him, he jerked away from her and stumbled out of arm's length. "Don't touch me," he hissed under his breath, raising his hands warningly.

All she could do was stare at him in shock.

xx

2:03 PM, February 19th, 1995
Tampa Bay Police Station

don'ttouchme don't don't please don't hurt me

She was looking at him in a new light, hurt and wonder in her eyes, which had deepened. Dark blue, like the ocean. He wanted more than anything to get away from her, to run to a deserted room somewhere and curl up in a ball until it all went away. But she'd make good on her threat about an evaluation; she'd say it was for his own good, the same way he'd tried to protect her when she'd returned to work after her abduction.

look at those sweet lips foxy they were made for my dick

Shaking, he drew a breath, his ribs aching painfully, and tried to calm himself as well as his partner. Realizing that his hands were braced in front of his face, he lowered them and hoped that she hadn't seen his wrists. She'd caught a glimpse earlier, he thought, but since then she hadn't mentioned it and perhaps he'd mistaken the curious look in her eye. "Sorry," he began, and thankfully his voice cooperated with him, "I'm just tired, Scully, and still a bit sore from my running accident."

you're a fucking whore and you give me a half-cocked blowjob foxy—what the hell is that

She straightened, studying him cautiously like she'd eye a tiger who'd gotten loose from the zoo. "Okay, Mulder."

fucking pretty boy with a fucking leather jacket

Looking at her, he could see the carrot-orange of her hair and was struck by how easily it could be mingled with blood. And as soon as he could conceive of the idea, it was pooling around her, dripping from slashes on her arms, trickling in dark rivulets from her crushed nose. She was dead, a skeleton, bones and shiny white teeth with rotting bits of flesh, a hole in her cracked skull.

Then, suddenly, he was looking at himself through her eyes, and it was he who had the slashes. As he watched his clothes were slowly stripped off, revealing the thin lines of rib, crushed, sticking out at cruelly awkward angles. Staring, eyes riveted, and the rich crimson dried and congealed, transforming itself into a sticky whiteness that spurted from above, somewhere he couldn't see, to cover his entire body. Smashing his larynx, seeping in through the cracks in his lips, filling his lungs, and he couldn't breathe, choking and gasping for the blocked air.

you wanted this foxy boy, wanted me to come inside you

Unwittingly he'd hunched over, clutching at his chest as he coughed and hacked, and before he knew what was happening the sunflower seeds and apple danish he'd had for breakfast were smiling at him from the ground. He was kneeling, gulping oxygen as if he'd never had any in his life.

When he could draw breath in a normal fashion, he glanced up only to find Scully at his side, hands twitching in her obvious need to touch him. "Mulder, you look feverish."

who has the gun boy

While he probably did look flushed, that wasn't the half of it, and he wasn't about to talk to her. No way in hell. "It's just the danish," he tried to say, but his voice was scratchy and jagged, and it came out as more of a whisper. Stomach acid was thick on his tongue, caustic and bitter. "Went down the wrong way."

got gun, will shoot, pretty boy—do the right thing

"Mulder," she insisted, brushing her hair back with one hand while the other snaked out to feel his forehead, "you might have a temperature. I have to check—"

nononono i'm not this way not this way swear

Her hand, outstretched, reminded him of a lily, pale and unsullied. Couldn't let her feel the dirt that clung to his skin, that acrid, salty stench that attached itself to him no matter how many times he showered. So he ducked to the side, scrambling to his feet in rapid motion, the world spinning around him but not yet collapsing in on itself.

fucking homophobic queer

"I'm fine, Scully," he said, quiet and controlled. "Look, this is what we're going to do. I'm going inside—I need to wash up and see if they've identified the unsub. Then we're going to catch the first plane back to D.C. to write our respective reports for Skinner, while the local Tampa P.D. apprehends the unsub."

not that way

Eyes wide as saucers, and she was burning holes in his skull with that gaze. "You don't care if they catch the unsub or not."

fucking hard on and you say you're not queer foxy

"I'm exhausted. They're perfectly capable." Indeed he was; weariness was settling in his bones even as he spoke, his eyelids falling drowsily, but he snapped them back open and observed her.

Her mouth, shiny and red-lipsticked and perfect, was a thin, pursed line. No breeze and the humidity hung in the air, ominous, but she was all shine and glitter, little diamond eyes and ruby lips. Well-coiffed serenity, smoothly stark, and she wore so much concealer that he couldn't even see the mole above her lip unless he interrupted her during a shower. She wouldn't let him see anything important, but he had to show her everything that mattered. He wanted to slap her. He wanted her to get the fuck away from him and leave him alone.

Instead she stared at him, fire and ice. "I want to talk about this. You have to talk to me about this, Mulder."

cocksucking pretty boy is what you are

Fucking cold bitch, prying and poking and invading him when she had no right, and he wanted to slap her, to break the evenness of her face with the long, red streak his hand would make.

don't touch me

Just as suddenly as it had washed over him, the rage curdled, soured, and he was empty. Overcome by the urge to yawn, he did so, several times, and when he could bring himself to look at her, she was practically ogling him. "Tomorrow," he rasped, lying through his teeth.

sister scully so sorrysorrysorry help me please

He thought she was glaring at him, but she was wrapped up so tightly now that there was no way to tell. "You have to, Mulder," she said, sharp and incisive. "Tomorrow."

Wondering at the tender side of her that he'd seen, once in a blue moon—wondering if he'd ever see it again—he cleared his throat, trying to get rid of the taste of bile that had welled up inside it. And he answered, "Okay," but there was really nothing to say, nothing for him to talk about tomorrow.

wordy bastard

He could tell her that he was sore all over.

you won't talk so much once i get a piece of your ass

He could tell her why he was sore all over.

too bad you're spoiled, pretty boy

He could tell her about Krycek, about the -real- Krycek, and then she'd know that he'd really wanted it.

wouldn't go so hard on you if you were a virgin

When he closed his eyes the images were imprinted onto the lids; Krycek and his goofy smile, hair slicked back, long lashes resting, fluttering against the high cheekbones, long limbs encased in the cheap suit. Krycek in his leather jacket, hair wild, the eyes that he said were green smoldering into his; the strong, unrelenting mouth. Denim and Krycek, molded around the curve of his ass, the casual winks and the flash of tickets. Mulder and Krycek in the back of the movie theater making out like rebellious teenagers, armrests poking uncomfortably; nipping at the hollow of Krycek's shoulder, pressed together like peas in a pod. Krycek divested of his clothes, silhouetted by lamplight in the window. Mulder and Krycek in the seldom-used bed, writhing, twisting, mangling the sheets. Krycek, gone in the early morning hours.

a bit of teeth now—i court danger

Scully, commenting on Krycek's initial squeamishness.

bite too hard and i'll blow your head off pretty boy

Mulder, wanting to believe.

a dick is a terribly thing to lose, but so is a head, isn't it, foxy boy

Krycek, remnants of a Morley in his ashtray.

who needs fucking lube when you have such a slick ass

Krycek, vanished into thin air.

loosen up

There wasn't anything to say to her, really.

dirty

Mulder, an automaton, followed Scully into the police station and behaved like a robotic angel.

To be continued.

xx

lomelindi@hushmail.com

Date: February 2000
Fandom: X-Files
Contact: lomelindi@hushmail.com, feedback givers adored.
Spoilers: anything up to End Game
Rating: NC-17 for violence, naughty language, rape
Class: Story/Angst
Keywords: Mulder angst, rape, slash, Mulder/Scully friendship. Brief Mulder/Krycek.
Summary: A brutalized Mulder tries to conceal his dirty laundry, but a case that strikes an unwelcome chord in him makes the job difficult. It's up to Scully to wheedle the truth out of him—but can she deal with it? Can he ever go back to work without having a mental breakdown?
Warnings: I'll be up front. There is no romance here, except in little flashbacks, and that part is Mulder/Krycek. No, Krycek is not the rapist. I'd never do that to my precious ratbaby. MSR is nonexistent—shippers, flee now or forever hold your peace. Yes, there is tons of angst. If you want a happy, stable Mulder, you're not going to get him. This Mulder is traumatized, and he suffers from several mental illnesses as a result of his rape and the events of his childhood. In typical Mulder style, he's not going to want to be a good boy and go get healed. This Scully is a nice, relatively sane Scully, and she's not an evil bitch from hell. There's going to be a lot of bonding in here—platonic bonding, of course. If you hate Scully, this is not going to please you. If you think relationships between two men are horrible and evil, this is going to disgust you. If you think that I'm condeming homosexuality because I've written a story about one man raping another, don't read this, even though I'm not—I'm not straight, after all. I can't tell you to enjoy this, because if you did you'd be one sick fuck.. but maybe you'll identify with it, or learn something about how nasty criminals are. Mhmm. If I have any writing skill whatsoever, that is..
Disclaimer: Duh—I don't own the X-Files, 1013 and Chris Carter and Fox and the Consortium do, obviously. They could prosecute me if they gave a damn, but I haven't anything of value for them to acquire. Cept my dog. And I love my dog, so please be nice.
NO X-FILES CHARACTERS WERE KILLED IN THE WRITING OF THIS FANFIC. Send appropriate replies of gratitude.
Note: Titles taken from "Barrel of a Gun" by Depeche Mode. I won't include the entire set of lyrics until the very end of the series, because this isn't songfic.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]