Go to notes and disclaimers


Dark Angel's Fire
by Megaera

Part V
Shadow of his Wings

"Alex, please'" Fox Mulder put on his desperate and pathetically needy face, and edged closer to his lover. One hand reached out to clutch at Alex's shoulder, and he angled his body so that he could rest his head trustingly against a strong shoulder.

His partner wasn't deceived. "Stop being so manipulative, Fox. I'm not going to do it, and that's an end to it!" He pulled away from Mulder.

"Pu-lease... You've got to come. The thought of going there alone is unbearable. I'll go mad if you don't come with me."

Alex sighed. "So you want the two of us to be miserable, instead of just you. Thanks a lot. I kind of hoped we could spend Thanksgiving here, together. Now you want to go home and have a family get together. And give your mother a little surprise, into the bargain. Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says Sucker?"

Mulder closed his eyes, and tried to think of a persuasive argument. His attempt to talk Alex round wasn't working. If he had to face his irritating family, this holiday, he wanted to take his lover with him, be open about his relationship. At least about the human half of their partnership. He didnt care anymore what anyone thought, they had come too close to the edge in their lives to waste time on stupid moral codes, that he didnt subscribe to anyway. His mom wouldnt make a great fuss, she was pretty tolerant about same sex relationships. Alex was having other ideas.

"You really want to spoil their holidays, Foxy?" Alex said bitterly. "I'll get the blame of course, seducing their pride and joy!"

Mulder remembered that first incredible night together. Alex had made love to him with fierce passion, after Mulder had seduced him. It had broadened both of their horizons, not least because Kulain had captured Alex, body and soul, straight afterwards. "I could take Kulain instead, but I cant see him eating my mother's cooking, she would be more offended by that, than by me announcing my sexuality to the world."

"Yeah, ultra rare steak might tempt him, but not turkey with all the trimmings." Alex laughed briefly at the irresistible image of a demon forced to eat his meat and veg, then pudding. "Alright, Foxy, but you owe me. I'm sure I can think of something you can do to entertain me." He caught hold of Mulder and slid his fingers downwards. And slapped his lover on the butt. Mulder yelped, and shoved Alex forward onto the bed, kneeling astride him.

"Oh yeah, Ratboy!"

Mulder let his tongue trace down Alex's spine, then up again, delicately making circles with his tongue, then he began to rub his hands slowly up and down on the tense muscles. Alex groaned, as much from the slow relaxation caused by the massage, as by his own desire for Mulder. The older man paused for a moment, fumbled in the bedside drawer, and took out a bottle of massage oil. It played hell with the sheets, but was worth the mess, every once in a while. Pouring a generous helping on Alex's back, he began to rub it into the younger man's skin. Alex hissed as the coolness spread over his back, then moaned softly, as Mulder's hands began to give him an expert massage.

Mulder slid his fingers over the strong shoulders, working the oil in, finding the knots of stressed muscles and firmly kneading at them until the tension was dissipated. His hands drifted lower, rubbed the oil firmly into the compact muscles that narrowed into a slim waist. He moved lower, shifting his position slightly, leaning over Alex as he started to work the oil across the firm ass. Alex moaned again, as Mulder's erection began to press against him. His lover's oil covered hands worked their way between his legs, and Alex parted his thighs slightly, allowing him entrance. Mulder found the tight opening, and took advantage of his lover's utter relaxation, to work his way inside easily. He found the prostate almost immediately, and slowly used his fingers to arouse Alex. His lover was moving in time to his movements, craving the sweetness of Mulder's touch.

Hands unexpectedly closed over Mulder's shoulders. He turned, though he knew the feel of those hands so well. Kulain was there, looking amused. He drew Mulder up off the bed, with a wink. The agent grinned, he loved Kulain's particularly erotic sex games. It was as if the demon allowed a side of himself to be seen, that he kept a strict control on normally. A devilish sense of humour.

"Fox! Don't stop!" Alex pleaded from the bed. With Mulder standing away from the bed, Kulain took his place astride the younger man's body. Long fingers, that could rip a man's head from his shoulders if they chose to, began to rub more oil into Alex's back and thighs, ignoring the small thrusts that Alex was making with his hips in desperate appeal. Finally, Kulain relented, and let his fingers slide inside Alex to rake his prostate. Alex's hips arched off the bed, and he found himself begging Mulder to take him.

Grinning, Kulain pushed his big penis into the yearning body beneath him, hearing Alex gasp at the unexpected size of the cock that was working it's way inside him, inch by torturous inch. He writhed, twisted and sobbed in desperate lust. Trying to make his lover start thrusting into him. Kulain remained unmoving, riding the thrashing body, as Alex began to scream in hungry desire. He pushed his lover's shoulders down onto the bed, holding him immobile with the strength of his arms and powerful thighs. Finally Alex sobbed and lay still.

"Damn it Mulder. You've got me so hot! Why don't you finish what you started." Alex tried to turn, but was held down strongly. With a moan he tried to grind his swollen prick into the bedcovers, yearning for release that Kulain would not allow him. Alex twisted his body, trying to throw his lover off. Finally, in acute discomfort, his balls throbbing , his cock so hard, he thought he would explode, Alex stilled, and lay unresisting beneath his lover.

"Please. Do it. I can't take any more waiting. Please.." The last a whisper. Kulain at last started to move, thrusting hard into his lover, each downstroke rattling the bed as he completed the thrust. All the time holding Alex immobile, so he had to take what was given to him. The younger man felt as if he was on the edge of a vast abyss. Then his body finally achieved the bliss it had sought for so long, and the young man screamed, pumping what felt like half a gallon of cum onto the sheets. With a hoarse cry, his lover flooded into him, sinking down on top of him, lips brushing his neck.

Dazed, Alex pressed his forehead into the pillow, his heartbeat gradually returning to normal. Held in the warm embrace of his lover. A weight settled next to his head on the pillow. He lifted his eyes, and saw Fox Mulder's amused expression as he contemplated his exhausted lover. Soft laughter echoed next to Alex's ear and he realised who had just expertly controlled his body and its responses. Alex pushed at the demon, freeing himself from the powerful embrace. Green eyes glowed with amusement.

"I hope he likes turkey, Fox!" Alex scowled in irritation, though the small deception had given him a bout of fantastic sex. "Damn it Mulder, you didn't have to trick me like that, it's not as if I would say no to either of you."

Mulder gave him a slightly guilty look. "I thought you'd enjoy it Alex. I'm sorry."

Alex knew what it was that had been bothering him lately. It was stupid and petty, but lately, he felt so left out when Kulain was with Mulder. Amara had said that they were linked, body and soul. Closer than he could ever be to them. Kulain was so gentle with his Fox. His lovemaking was never as rough with the older man, as the wild sex he enjoyed with Alex. The demon seemed to thrive on pounding his way into Alex's body until the younger man's senses overloaded. As often as not, he fainted from those explosive bouts of passion. Then Kulain would turn to Fox, his lusts assuaged, and the tender side of his personality would come to the fore. Alex would wake from his lust induced stupor to find the two in each others arms, tenderly making love. Sometimes lately, the young man felt so depressed.

Though he hated to admit it, Alex was jealous. He wanted, needed to be held like that by his dark lover. To feel those arms around him while the demon whispered soft words in his ears. Some part of his mind knew that Kulain was so careful with Fox because of his shattering experiences. But Alex just felt so detached from his partners at the moment. Mulder loved him, it was true, but the older man had struggled so hard to stay in control of his emotions and his sanity, that he had little time to spare to think how Alex must be feeling. The young man couldn't keep giving his support and compassion forever. He needed so much to be held himself. It had been so long since there had been anything between him and his lovers, except work and sex. It wasn't enough to sustain him.

He stood up shakily, his body still aching from Kulain's use. He would have bruises from that particular session. Nothing new there. Bed a demon and you couldn't expect humanity, right?

Alex stumbled to the bathroom, and turned on the shower, twisting the setting to full power. Then he blanked out the treacherous thoughts in his mind, in a blast of hot, steaming water, sluicing the remains of the oil off his skin. Eventually clean and warmed through by the heat, he dried his skin and opened the door to the bedroom, intending to join his partners in the large bed. He heard Mulder moaning softly, as he was tenderly loved by Kulain. Mulder was in one of his favourite sexual positions, astride his reclining lover's body. As Alex watched, Mulder arched back in orgasm, clutching at Kulain. The demon shuddered and his body reared upwards, arms affectionately enclosing Mulder. Kulain buried his face in Mulder's chest. Alex heard what he said.

"Fox, my precious little Fox. You're so beautiful. My Fox!"

Alex felt a stab of pain so acute he almost cried aloud. He had never heard that note in Kulain's voice when the demon had held him. What was he then? Something to keep each lover occupied while the other was busy? Alex angrily swiped at the tears that were streaming down his face. Stumbling into the room, he grabbed his clothes and rapidly began to dress. Then, not caring any more, he began to pile some of his clothes into a bag. He had to get away, sort his mind out, get some distance. Or maybe he would be the unstable one.

Mulder lay in Kulain's arms, warm and happy. He reached out for Alex, who normally would lie on one side of him, whilst Kulain lay on the other. Puzzled at his lover's absence, he lifted his head. Alex was fully dressed, wearing his leather jacket, heading out of the room with a large sports bag flung over his shoulder. Astonished, Mulder sat up, staring at the younger man. "Alex! Where are you going?"

"Just go to hell!" Alex snarled the words. "Just leave me alone. I can't take this any more. This stupid relationship is going nowhere anyway!" Then suddenly sobbing, he turned and fled. By the time Mulder had pulled on his clothes and followed, the young man had vanished.

xx

Alex wandered, lost in misery for hours. When he finally came out of his trance of despair, he was half way across the city, near the Capitol Building. The thoughts just kept running around in his head. Fox Mulder crying in his arms, holding him tightly, the soft feel of warm breath against his neck when he was held. It would be so easy to go back. Mulder wouldn't turn him away, would in fact cling to him, never letting him go. Like a goddamned vampire, using him up until there was nothing left. Love had turned to need. And Alex knew he had to get away from the terrible leeching pull of Mulder's vulnerability, before all his feelings turned to hate and bitterness. Ever since Ash had ruined things for them, since he had torn Mulder's soul into shreds, the agent had feared being alone. If he was forced to spend any time away from his partners, Mulder was an emotional wreck by the time they returned, his incisive profiler's mind found it hard to decide whether to get up in the morning, and his grasp on sanity was tenuous at best. And his nightmares about Ash had returned to disturb their nights together.

Alex knew that if their department hadn't been such a sop to keep the dangerous Kulain happy, Mulder would have been on psych leave long ago. Mulder needed professional help, that Alex just couldn't give him.

He checked into a little hotel, the sort of clean and respectable place that roaches and rats felt right at home in. And managed a few short hours of restless sleep. Shit! It had been so long since he had slept alone, without either of his lovers close to him. In the department, they had implemented a policy of at least two agents investigating every occult phenomenon, it was becoming too risky, otherwise. So he generally went on a case with one of his lovers. Or lately just Kulain, Mulder was becoming a liability outside the office.

At nine o clock prompt, Alex sat outside Skinner's office, in time to see the man arrive, fresh from a breakfast meeting. Surprised, the A.D. beckoned him inside.

"Agent Krycek, have you a problem? Or your partners?"

Alex sighed. "Yeah sir, I need to be reassigned. I need to get out of Washington for a while."

Skinner frowned. "I'm listening," he said, "Why exactly do you need this so urgently. You could have put in a formal request and been transferred within a week. Why hang around outside my office like a naughty schoolboy?"

Damn but the man was astute. Alex felt reluctant admiration. Just like Mulder used to be.

He told the A.D. edited highlights. Skinner shook his head. "You want me to leave your department in Mulder's capable hands? I'm not ignorant about the way he's been behaving lately. Increasingly erratic, out of control."

"Please!" Alex felt his own control slipping. "I'll do any dirty job. Just get me out of the city for a while."

"How about witness protection? Your unique talents would be a good backup for one of my teams."

xx

Alex headed out of Skinner's office marginally happier than when he had went in. Even the job of babysitting some hood looked more appealing than staying round here. And as he opened the door, he came face to face with Mulder.

"Alex!" Mulder yelled, as the younger man attempted to avoid him, dodged away, and headed down the corridor. He couldn't handle a confrontation with his lover, not now. "Leave me alone!" Alex snarled at Mulder.

Skinner emerged from his office, furious at the commotion. "Take it outside!" His fury cowed both men. Reluctantly, Alex grabbed Mulder's arm and steered him into the nearest restroom.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" Alex's voice was raw with pain.

"I don't understand." Mulder looked so vulnerable. "I thought we had something special..."

"Fuck you, Mulder!" Alex's explosive comment stunned the other man to silence. "I used to admire you. You were quite something when you switched on that brain of yours. I could watch you work all day, and love you all night. Look at yourself Mulder, you're pathetic. I can't be your crutch any more, or HIS fucktoy! Damn the two of you, you're breaking me. Even the Consortium couldn't manage to do that." Mulder was crying quietly, looking at him with misery filled eyes. "Didn't you ever notice that I was hurting too. Couldn't you have held me, even once. Just leave me alone Mulder. Before I start to hate you!"

"Alex!" A whimper so desperate and pain filled that the younger man hesitated, desperately fought the impulse to turn and pull Mulder into his arms and comfort him. He fled. He simply couldn't take any more of Mulder's pain, or his own sanity would shatter.

xx

It was Scully who found Mulder in his little office, huddled in the corner, his knees drawn up to his chest, arms wrapped around them. One look was enough. She picked up her mobile phone and called Alex's number, frowning at the phone when the call wasn't answered. "He's gone! He's left me!" Mulder's stricken expression left her no doubt as to who he meant. Scully's second call was to Kulain.

When the demon entered the room, Mulder flung himself forward, clinging to Kulain, sobbing in anguish. He was drawn closer, held until the storm of tears had died away. Long fingers stroked through his hair in a so familiar gesture of comfort. Mulder's breathing steadied.

Kulain gently placed his hands on his lover's shoulders, and looked into his face. "Why did he go, Fox? There are some things about human behaviour I still find hard to understand." The demon seemed both curious and melancholy.

Mulder took a deep breath. "He said I was pathetic. He was sick of me... He couldn't keep on supporting me..." Kulain was silent. Mulder jerked his head up, staring at his lover. A look of regret was on the beautiful face.

"I should have taken more notice of him," Kulain admitted. A sharp green gaze impaled Mulder. "Did you ever think he might be right, Fox." Mulder listened in appalled silence. Kulain had never openly criticised him like that before. He felt tears begin to start their familiar slow slide down his cheeks again.

"You mean I drove him away, don't you! Oh god Alex! What have I done to you?"

xx

Kulain felt remorse. He hadn't intended to generate this result when he modified the young human's pheromones the last time. Alex would probably feel quite depressed, as his body adjusted to the new configuration Kulain had programmed into his hormonal systems. And living so close to him, Mulder's own body would also react to the chemical depressants Alex's body was producing. The psycho-sexual system was the main area Kulain was interested in. Not for the delightful effects it would have on Alex's appetite, but for a particular, legendary use of the energy it produced, by the brain.

xx

Desolate, Mulder sat, staring out over the sleeping city, from the window of his apartment. How could he have been so blind? Alex had been trying so hard lately to cheer the other man. Even agreeing to Mulder's stupid thanksgiving plans to make him happy. Desperately trying to be noticed. And Mulder had taken him for granted. Sex was the only thing that seemed to work between them, and he had even taken the tenderness out of that, the last time. When they first met, Alex had loved to hold him, lying close to him on the couch, had laughed at the silly wisecracks he used to make, and had loved to surprise him. Alex was surprisingly talented in the kitchen. God, the things he had thought up involving chocolate. Even now, it brought a smile to his face. Sure, a rather twisted and wretched smile, but a real one nonetheless.

What was he going to do now? Survive! Do everything he could to prove to Alex that he wasn't a failure. Maybe earn his forgiveness, if nothing else. And cry himself to sleep every night as well. Kulain would support him, as always, but it could never be the same as before. Not when his heart was broken.

xx

Louis Ferri and his wife were in big trouble. The accomplished Mr. Ferri was a big time Mafia boss in a district of Chicago, who had run the section of the city with ruthless efficiency. Drugs, money laundering, prostitution and protection rackets were all specialities. You might call them special talents, because Ferri was good at what he chose to do with his life. His efficiency and cunning while avoiding the snares of law enforcement officers was legendary. He was like a man displaced from the good old days of prohibition, a traditionalist, who all of the locals respected. A man who was a pillar of his slightly less than legal community.

But as they always do, things went wrong with his successful life. The competition between his organisation and the rising new stars of the Russian and Chinese communities became more heated. Rival gangs clashed on an almost daily basis, businesses were betrayed, and his little empire started to fall. As astute as ever, Ferri could see the end coming when it was still a long way off. Time enough to buy himself a little insurance.

One fine Spring day, Ferri walked into a bank and emptied out several Mafia accounts, the sum totalling over ten million dollars. The money was quickly transferred electronically to a numbered Swiss bank account in Zurich. And a safety deposit box was emptied of several incriminating pieces of evidence on his bosses and their interconnected Mafia families. Unfortunately for him, it was on this particular day that the F.B.I., who had been keeping a watch on him for over a year, decided to strike.

When it was brought home to Ferri that he would spend the rest of his, likely, short life in jail, the natural urge to be a good citizen came to the fore. He spilled his guts about his underworld connections in the Italian community, and provided enough evidence to convict not one, but three of the top Crime bosses in the U.S.A.

And thus, our friend Louis came into the hands of the witness protection programme, and his case was directly administered by A.D. Skinner.

xx

Alex knocked carefully at the door of the hotel room in downtown St Louis. The door opened a crack, and a suspicious woman of about thirty poked her nose out of the entrance. "Can I help you?" Her frowzy face argued that he should probably be asking her that.

"Er...Hi! I'm Alex Krycek. I understand you were given a call about me. I'm supposed to say a not very bald man sent me." He winced at the A.D's sense of humour.

The woman stood back to let him in the room, but not before she gave the corridor behind him a raking glance, he noted with approval. Once he was inside, she closed and bolted the solid looking door. It must have taken some time to find a hotel room that wasn't easy to get into, and had good vantage points at entrances. Automatically, he looked around to see if there was a back entrance to the place.

"There is, it's a fire escape you can jump down onto, if you're desperate enough; about ten feet lower than the window sill." The older male agent in charge of the case was nodding in approval at the way Krycek automatically was checking out the place. "I've heard a lot of scuttlebutt about you Krycek, but no-one ever accused you of being inefficient at what you do!" The man grimaced suddenly. "By the way. I'm Dan Kowalski and this is my partner Ally Miller." The woman nodded but remained alert. "We'll be working in four hour shifts, one sleeps while the other two stay on guard. Security has been stepped up here in the last two hours. We've been notified that there is a hit team in town, and we don't have to guess who for. Not with a bounty of a million dollars on his head. We have to keep him alive for the next week, and get him to Washington in time for the Grand Jury hearings.

Alex gasped, as he realised how high the stakes had become. The door to the bedroom opened, and a muscular looking, dark haired man, with a slight limp walked out of the room. He wore a cushioned bath -robe and his dark hair was slicked back like a seal. Alex winced. The sharp eyes swept over him, and the man yelled back into the bedroom, "Hey, babe! We've got ourselves a new guardian angel." A pretty blonde girl, about twenty, and less than half the Mafioso's age poked her head into the living space. Her hair was mussed up and her eyes showed a thousand years of experience. She immediately smiled beguilingly at Alex, which left him feeling indifferent. Since Mulder had changed his life, there was no room for other lovers. Though a couple of years ago when he was young and stupid, he had flirted with both male and female partners, once or twice together.

Seeing his lack of response, she pouted and looked away.

xx

For the next three days, Alex and the other two agents took turns in guarding their reluctant charges. Alex found the acerbic Kowalski and his sarcastic female partner a refreshing change from the familiar boredom of the office he worked in. This was what he had needed, a break from those same old routines that his life had fallen into. He was on first name terms with the two agents by the end of the first day, and knew all about their families by the end of the second. Not that he liked them exactly, but they were interesting. Had he really been that bored?

"So tell me Kowalski, what exactly is this scuttlebutt you've heard about me?" Alex grinned at the other agent. Anything to make conversation, and besides, Alex was curious about his reputation. The older man frowned for a moment then looked at him sharply.

"I know you were a member of the spook squad for a while, working with Fox Mulder and that unarmed combat specialist that everyone's so polite to these days. And that there are a lot of rumours about the unusual entrance requirements Mulder imposes on you." He saw Krycek's eyes narrow. "Hey, it doesn't bother me what you get up to in your spare time. As long as it doesn't interfere with the job. Word is Mulder's washed up anyway. Or why would you want out of such a cushy little number. Chasing ghosts and goblins, for fuck's sake!"

Alex didn't trust himself to reply for a moment. If that was the opinion his F.B.I. colleagues held about Mulder, no wonder he never got any support from them.

"The supernatural is real, take my word for it! If I wanted to, I could prove it to you, but I don't want to blow our cover here."

Both his new colleagues snickered. "Yeah!" Miller sneered, "Well, you'd probably be able to conjure up a fairy easily enough, but I don't want you to bust your ass over it!" She really was quite irritating. Alex settled for a disgusted glare. "I'll check on the package," he said quietly.

He stood up and went over to the door of the Ferri's bedroom and knocked softly. "Can I come in to check the room?" he asked. He heard a sound of assent, and went inside. The couple were both lying on the bed in a state of undress. The crime boss grinned at him. "How about a little entertainment, Agent Krycek. I can make it worth your while."

Alex affected indifference. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Get questioned about your male lovers in one room, and be offered group sex in the other. It was going to be a long assignment. And his first priority was to keep a grip on his temper at all times.

He heard a knock at the main door of the hotel room, and tensed, flattening himself against the wall next to the bedroom door. He opened it slightly and peered out. Kowalski nodded to him, and took up a covering position at the side of the door. Alex motioned the Ferri's to silence. Miller put the chain on the door and opened it. She relaxed, turned away from the door, "Pizza's here!" Kowalski lowered his gun and turned to pull out his wallet. The two side windows of the room exploded inwards as a pair of dark clad assassins swung in on absail gear. A sub machine gun began to swing up towards the two agents, even as they turned, far too slowly, away from the door.

Alex moved on instinct. He erupted from the bedroom, shifting even as he moved, and felt the familiar demon strength fill his body. The world seemed to slow down, his perceptions were so acute that he could even see the individual drops of sweat spraying from the nearest assassin's forehead as he brought the gun to bear on them. Alex caught one of the men in his hands, dragging him down, and gutting him with his left hand. Then he slit the other man's throat with his claws. And instinctively dived at the other agents, bringing them crashing to the floor as the sound of machine gun fire rattled through the outer door. Kowalski struggled to get his gun up, despite the weight of Alex on top of him, and began to pump shots through the door. Abruptly there was a cry from outside, and the gunfire ceased.

There was dead silence in the room, and in the distance, someone in another part of the hotel could be heard screaming. The two F.B.I. agents and the frightened Ferri's were all staring at their unlikely saviour. Who met their gazes unflinchingly with slit pupilled green eyes. "You were right about those entrance requirements for the spook squad", Alex sighed. He lifted his green fleshed demon hand up, and unconsciously began to lick it clean. More screams suddenly sounded downstairs, and were abruptly silenced.

"Oh shit!" Miller said, "More hit men." She ran to the window and glanced down into the alleyway below. "All clear!" she whispered, and then she was urging Ferri and his wife out onto the fire escape. Alex glanced at the pale faced Kowalski. "Believe in the supernatural yet, Dan?" He grinned. "I'll go first down the alley, I can take care of any problems quietly, and Miller will need you to help with those two." He gestured at the terrified couple who were balking at jumping onto the fire escape. He pushed past them, and dropped the short distance onto the metal walkway. He was about thirty feet above the alley. Obeying an impulse that seemed to feel right, he swung over the rail and let his body drop the longer distance, in one fluid motion. He landed effortlessly on the balls of his feet, his legs absorbing the impact with ease. For a moment, the power of his blood seemed to sing, and he felt as though he could have jumped back up onto the walkway. He had never changed to this extent before, and it felt so exhilarating. Was this what demons felt that made them so arrogantly confident in facing the world?

The sound of someone entering the alley made him pause.

Kowalski urged his two charges down the stairs as fast as they could go. Miller had taken off round the side of the building to get their van and bring it closer. He finally managed to get the couple onto the ground, and pushed them back into the shadows as he heard a noise near him. A sudden blow from the side crashed into his gun hand, knocking his piece flying. "You lose! Mr. Ferrara sends his complements, he'll see you in hell." An assassin was pointing a sub-machine gun towards the cowering group. With a slow grin, he aimed the muzzle at them. A shadow moved behind him, silently uncoiling down from the fire escape. Alex, hanging upside down like a gymnast, so his clawed hand could curve around the man's neck, slicing it open to the bone. As the body fell in almost total silence, Alex flipped his body forward off the metal rails and executed a perfect somersault, that landed him on his feet before them. No, he had never been able to do that before!

"You o.k. Dan?" Alex asked in concern. The older man nodded. "Just a crack on the arm. C'mon, the van is this way." He gestured towards the alley entrance. Alex didn't miss the frightened looks the two witnesses were giving him. Kowalski however clapped him on the shoulder. "Thanks Krycek, I owe you one! And yeah, maybe the supernatural does exist!"

Miller gunned the van towards the alley, and screeched to a halt in front of Louis Ferri as he stumbled forward. She hauled the panting Italian into the van and the others piled in the side door. Shots rang out from the hotel entrance down the street, and the agent pressed the gas pedal down hard as she drove away. "Everyone o.k.?" Kowalski said. There was a chorus of weary affirmatives.

xx

"Someone betrayed us. I'm sure of it!" Miller said, as they sat in the back of the stationary van, which was anonymously parked in a drive in fast-food lot. "No-one knew we were here except the bureau. Skinner's office and a handful of members of the organised crime task force. Someone had to have sold us out!"

"I don't believe Skinner is dirty," Alex shook his head in denial. "For a start, he has an idea of what I can do, and he'd keep me out of it if he wanted total success."

"Well someone did it! Our best course is to call Skinner and tell him we're still alive, but no-one gets told where we are. We can drive out of the city and find another motel to hole up in." Kowalski was firm. "If we want to keep Mr. Personality alive for much longer, we want as few people as possible in the loop. Is that clear!" His colleagues could only agree with him.

xx

Joey Ferrara was as mad as hell. His hit squad had got a promising lead on the whereabouts of that fucking traitor, and had tried to take him out. But somehow a group of trained professionals, ex-army, had been beaten by three F.B.I. men! His contacts in the police had told him that three of his men had been slit open like a fish being gutted. He hadn't known the government employed knife men. And now the other two of his associates who were about to be sent down by Ferri, were making trouble.

Valentine and Mori were West coast businessmen, who had been associated with his family for many years. Of course their business wasn't of the legal kind. Mori, in particular, was very vocally protesting the lack of success Joey's assassins were having. "If you don't get that son-of-a- bitch soon, I'm going to bring in an operative myself," the little man snarled.

Joey shrugged. "Feel free, Mori. You really think I give a damn which of us kills him?"

"You should Joey! It was your fuck-up that let him get evidence against us. You've got a lot to make up to us!" Joey Ferrara sighed. There would be hell to pay if Mori decided to withdraw his support from the gambling interests in Las Vegas. "Alright, Mori. Bring in your assassin. And to show how keen I am to keep our partnership open, I'll even pick up the tab!"

xx

Early the next morning, Ferrara sat in his car, on a lonely country road, with a suitcase full of hundred dollar bills. A light showed up ahead, as a car made its way towards him. Mori got out, followed by his latest acquisition, a little blonde woman who looked as though she could run for the Miss America contest.

"Damn it Mori, did you have to bring your girlfriend!" He let the little man know how irritated he was by this cloak and dagger stuff. Grinning, Mori shook his head. "This is the operative I was telling you about, Joey!" Disbelieving, the Italian stared at the blonde. She returned the smile, all sweetness and light.

"What kind of a stunt are you trying to pull?" Joey's temper started to show.

Mori just gestured to her. "Do it! Show him what he's paying for!" The woman smiled again, and there was suddenly something so predatory in her gaze that Joey gasped aloud. Golden eyes flared to life, and the woman standing before him suddenly shifted, becoming something monstrous, with gleaming teeth and scales. And just as quickly, the glimpse he had seen of reality was gone. Leaving the cold hearted Mafia boss trembling with fear, his pants suddenly wet with more than sweat. Automatically, remembering the whispered stories told in childhood, he crossed himself. Mori began to laugh, not noticing the look of distaste on the woman's face. "Meet a good friend of mine, Joey, this is Tia!"

xx

Well, Alex had wanted a bit of excitement in his life, and all his wishes were coming true. At least that's what he tried to tell himself, as their assignment slowly went to hell. He and his fellow agents had spent several days on the road, driving North on an indirect route that would get them back to Washington within the week. To protect the identity of their witness, they had been staying in a range of poorly maintained motels, which was a major source of annoyance to their charge, Louis Ferri. His idea of hardship appeared to be no cable t.v. in his room. So far they seemed to have remained anonymous, as only Skinner had been notified of their progress. But Alex was starting to get that prickling sensation between his shoulder blades, a sixth sense that he had relied on in the past that warned him of danger. He had always been a survivor, and his instincts were telling him to run.

Kowalski and Miller, his two partners on this assignment were sceptical. Miller in particular tried to throw doubt on his supposed E.S.P. "Alex, I know you aren't exactly normal..." The younger man rolled his eyes and pulled a face at her, laughing. "You've never said where your, er, talents come from, but precognition is impossible! The variables involved in predicting the future are vast. I can't believe it."

Alex sighed. "I hope you're right, Miller, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this case." Eventually, Alex forced himself to relax. He couldn't head off trouble if he didn't know what it was. But it felt as if a storm was coming, something that stirred in the darkness on the edge of his demon enhanced senses.

The feelings came to a head as they were driving through a small town where Kowalski needed to stop to put gas in the van. As Alex was sitting in the right hand seat, up front in the vehicle, a wave of darkness seemed to descend over his mind. He cried out, involuntarily, his hands clawing at his head. His vision seemed shot through with golden lightning, and a surge of power passed over him. Suddenly, abruptly, the terrible pressure was gone. He lifted his head from the dashboard where it had fallen. The other two F.B.I. agents were staring at him in astonishment.

"Oh fuck! Run!" Alex screamed at them. The night was suddenly twice as dark, and a low rumble of thunder echoed through the darkness. He was moving, shifting, even as he wrenched open the door and grabbed Ferri's arm. He dragged the terrified man out of the door, and began to pull him towards the parking garage that stood behind them. It was coming, he could feel the Earth trembling beneath it, trying to reject the abomination that walked towards them.

Kowalski gaped, open mouthed at Krycek, who seemed to have gone mad. He was manhandling their prisoner out of the van, raving about something evil coming. He and Miller both respected the young agent's strange abilities, but looking around, he could see nothing.

"Wait, what's that?" Miller pointed towards the empty lot opposite the gas station. Alex followed her pointing finger, and saw a faint golden glow. Oh yes, he knew so well how vile things attracted that light to themselves.

"If you've ever trusted me, move, dammit!" The terror in Alex's voice must have convinced Kowalski when nothing else could. He pulled his gun, and took over from Alex, urging the two Italians forward.

The golden glow was approaching rapidly now, outdistancing the fleeing humans, coming to rest about ten feet in front of them. Miller hissed in shock. Alex, to no ones surprise, found himself in the first line of defence against the unknown peril. He stepped forward, trying to add a bit of bravado to his stance, at least it didn't feel like a hunter demon, whatever it was.

The golden glow began to coalesce into a vaguely human shape, shrinking and shimmering, finally solidifying into a small female form with glittering blonde hair and a sweet curving smile. Kowalski laughed. "This is what you're so scared of? I don't see why!"

Alex eyed her with growing alarm, at first he hadn't been sure, but as the last of the glow left her eyes, he knew her. Tiamat

A Babylonian demon, who hated Kulain and all his associates. The one who had left Mulder with one of his memorable collection of scars. And Alex knew that he was way out of his depth.

Alex held a hand up to Kowalski, and gestured to him. Keep moving. Get away. Tia stared at Alex for a moment, puzzled by the unusual wariness the human was showing. Normally, her victims died with a look of surprise still on their faces. Not this one. And sharp demon senses perceived the lingering traces of Kulain's presence on this one's body and soul.

"So! Alex Krycek! One of HIS pets!" There was a sibilant note to her voice that made all of the humans instinctively afraid. A pure predatory note that promised the dark delights of death. Kowalski began to reconsider his earlier nonchalance, Alex appeared to know this being, and his whole attitude was one of fear. And what could make someone of his ability terrified? He continued to pull Ferri away.

Gold snake like eyes swung to track the fugitive's progress, and her lips drew back from her teeth in a voracious grin. Revealing large, curving, fang like incisors. "A delightful assignment, Alex. Prey for money, and YOU for entertainment" She began to move forward. Alex did the only possible thing in the circumstances, he stepped into her path. Cowardice wasn't an option since he had lived with Mulder, though he wished it was now.

He faced the demon woman, whose eyes gleamed with bloodlust. He was as ready as he would ever be. Then she moved, inhumanly fast, claws arcing out towards him in a killing blow. With that new speed and power, that his body had learned so recently, Alex dodged to one side, spinning as he moved, to try and rake his claws along her side. Her own dodge was just as agile, and one elbow clashed painfully into his chest, making him gasp. Then they were past each other, both turning towards each other, into another attack. Alex found it hard to believe he had survived even one challenge.

"Very good!" Her voice mocked him. "But do you know this one?" She shifted her body amazingly fast, and he barely escaped the serpent coils that had been her body, as they tried to twist round his body to crush him. Alex desperately reached into his pocket, and pulled out his flick knife. The moment of inattention was almost his last. Huge jaws powered at his head, and only flinging himself backwards saved him. The demon laughed mockingly, then unexpectedly lunged in pursuit of the Ferri's.

Kowalski had seen a little of the fight as he ran, and the sight of that monstrosity coming towards him made him glad he had just been to the rest room. The humans began to flee up the stairs of the car parking building, heading for the top level. They almost made it, but then a golden coil seized Miller's leg and brought her down. She screamed in terror, tried to grab at her fallen gun, then cowered away from the glistening jaws, as they descended towards her.

In a single movement, Alex vaulted up the last flight of stairs and onto the demon's back. His left hand sank deep into the demon's flesh, holding on for dear life, and he brought down the knife he held in his other hand. Tia howled in agony as Krycek stabbed her. Writhing around, she crashed her scaled body sideways against the wall, slamming her attacker's body into the wall. Crying out in pain, Alex let go, falling, winded to the floor. He felt as though he had just bust a rib. Kowalski saw Tia rear upwards, her mouth opened wide for a killer bite, and began to attack in the only way he knew. He emptied a clip of bullets into the demon's body. And though their steel content was small, the agony they caused made the demon finally back off. With a glare of inhuman hate at the small group, she shifted back to her humanoid form, and leapt over the edge of the parapet, landing easily, about sixty feet below them. The last Kowalski saw of her, was a dark loping form that ran faster than he deemed possible, heading away from the light.

Alex was tempted to take refuge in unconsciousness, but duty pulled him upright. Kowalski was shivering in shock as he looked at his colleagues. "This what you do in the Spook Squad, Alex? I'm sorry I called it a cushy job!"

For a moment Alex gave a rather feeble imitation of a smile, then he extended his arm to Miller. "Give me your mobile phone!" It wasn't a request. Miller looked at the man who had just saved her life, who sprawled on the floor, pale and bloodstained. And obeyed him without question. Some experiences just generated instant trust.

Alex dialled a familiar number, and waited tensely for a reply. A surprised voice responded on the other end of the line. Not a lot of people had Kulain's personal contact number. "Er, hi" Alex said nervously, then hesitated.

"Alex!" There was a wealth of emotion in that single word. Gentleness, curiosity, and something he had wanted to hear so much, though he didn't realise it until that moment. Forgiveness. Just the sound of Kulain's voice speaking his name made his body react with arousal, and relief, and need.

"Kulain, I need you here. Please. Can you come to me. Your special way! I'm in a lot of trouble, we've been attacked."

"Alex, you only ever had to ask, and I would give you the world!" The warmth the younger man heard was balm to his soul. There was a burst of static on the phone, and he lifted his head to see a line of fire appear in the air in front of him. Ignoring the frightened looks of the others, he levered his aching body upwards, and stood, swaying with exhaustion, before the gate. His demon strength had been expended by the fight. A dark form emerged from the gate and stood, surveying the little group.

"Agent Lane!" Kowalski at least recognised him.

Green eyes swept over them, coming to rest on his prodigal lover. And Kulain stepped forward, sweeping Alex up into a powerful embrace. The young agent clung to his dark lover as if by letting go, he would fall into the abyss. Kulain buried his face in the human's dark hair, and breathed words only Alex could hear. "My love. My foolish little one." And all of Alex's pain at being apart from Kulain disappeared.

Kulain paused, sensing the wrongness near him, and slowly lifted Alex's left hand, scenting the demon blood. "Tiamat!" He sounded cold, angry.

"She attacked us and tried to kill our witness." Alex shivered. "We used steel to drive her off, but I don't feel very safe at the moment!"

Kulain snarled, green eyes glowing with hatred. Kowalski, who had been about to ask what the fuck was going on, closed his mouth with a snap.

"So she finally challenges me!" Kulain's look was predatory. "So be it!" He turned around, scenting the air, until he sensed a trace of her presence. "That way, I think!" He moved to the edge of the parapet, and to the utter shock of Miller and Kowalski, swung over it effortlessly, dropping the long distance, landing smoothly, and taking off in a powerful stride after the demon.

Alex sighed at the stares that were directed his way. "There's a hell of a lot you don't know, and I'm not really authorised to tell you. Just trust me. Please!"

The little group of humans made their way slowly and painfully back to the van. They all glanced nervously round as they emerged into the night. But there were no further supernatural incidents. Alex was stumbling, his body shaking with tiredness, so Miller helped him for the last short distance. Once inside the van, the doors were slammed shut, to provide an imagined security for the human inhabitants. A few minutes later, they all tensed at the sound of tapping on the side door, then Kowalski opened it to let Kulain into the van.

The dark seemed to cling as he entered the van, for a moment he seemed to be shrouded in shadow. Then he was just an ordinary looking, though very attractive F.B.I. agent.

Alex's companions saw the young man's face light up as he looked at his strange ally. Kulain sat next to Alex on the side bench of the van, and the reassurance he saw in the beautiful face made the agent move stiffly towards Kulain. For a moment he paused in front of Kulain, leaning forward against him, letting his forehead rest against his dark lover's. Then Kulain drew the younger man closer, moving his body so that Alex could curl up against him, and rest his bruised body in powerful arms. Alex sighed in satisfaction, and let himself be lulled by the motion of the van, as it drove onto the Interstate. Within minutes, he was asleep, safe with Kulain.

Kowalski watched Kulain in open curiosity. He finally plucked up the courage to ask a question. "So what exactly are you anyway? The F.B.I.'s secret weapon?"

Kulain laughed softly. Slit pupilled eyes gleamed at the agent, then for an instant, the arms that enfolded Alex seemed to shimmer, showing scaly green skin and claws. "Whatever I am, it's lucky for you I'm on your side!" Kulain looked at Miller. "Better to leave this road. Head directly towards Washington." There was no denying that tone.

Kulain was pleased. It had been relatively simple to win Alex back. Not that it was any surprise, he would have returned to his protector sooner or later. Certain of the things Kulain had done to his body would demand it. Besides, a demon's kisses were in many ways addictive. And Kulain's modifications had ensured that sex without himself or Mulder would give the young man little satisfaction. Human sexual hormones wouldn't arouse him anymore. After all, it was part of the mystery of life that one is only attracted to one's own species. Or should that read DNA grouping?

xx

Tia was in a towering rage. The humiliation of being driven off by that filthy half-breed and his police companions was almost more than she could bear. She felt a monstrous desire for blood and torn flesh, needing to take out her frustrations on a human. She licked her injuries as they healed, staying in a half humanoid form. Unfortunately, it was at that moment that Mori returned with his companion Valentine, the quiet but effective Mob accountant.

The humans had just one glimpse of golden eyes and sharp teeth before Tia's demon body crashed into Valentine. Golden coils wound round him, pulverising his body as they twisted round him at immense pressure. Bones splintered and blood gushed out in a flood, erupting between the coils as the body was all but obliterated. Tiamat enjoyed the feel of the hot, steaming blood as it bathed her skin. A triangular, diamond patterned serpentine head reared up, then the jaws descended, gracefully picking out one or two delicacies from the jelly like mass of flesh that still remained. A good meal always improved her temper.

Mori was whimpering by the time she had finished, he couldn't escape as the feasting demon blocked the doorway. The snake head lifted, shifted to a humanoid head, mouth still smeared with red.

"Your traitor was guarded by one of my own kind!" The terrible voice continued. "He'll pay, and his master!" She began to plot. "Tell your contacts in Washington to make trouble. I want Kulain distracted. His other little pet needs to be broken!"

Alex felt much better when he woke. Being close to Kulain seemed to energise him, and even his bruises had been healed while he slept. Had he really forgotten how tender Kulain could be when he wanted to please his lovers? Kulain kissed Alex's forehead, and the young man sleepily nestled into his lover's strong arms.

Kowalski snorted, making Alex jerk fully awake. "Nice for some!" he said sarcastically, "I wish the rest of us could sleep nights after what we've seen lately!"

Leaning back, Alex relaxed. "Any fight you can walk away from is a success. Especially if you're fighting a Babylonian demon!" Alex had effectively silenced the stunned agent.

Alex lifted his gaze to Kulain, who looked amused. "How is he?" The words expressed his main topic of thought lately. Kulain shook his head.

"What do you expect Alex? You didn't have to be so cruel! He's hurt and lonely, and he thinks it's all his fault." Kulain picked up Miller's mobile phone. He dialled a familiar number and proffered it to Alex. Whose heart leapt as he heard a well-known voice.

"Mulder here." His lover sounded tired.

"Foxy!" Why did Alex automatically find himself using an endearment when talking to Mulder. "How are you?"

There was silence from the other end of the phone. Then a faltering response. "I... I'm O.K. I'm sorry I hurt you..."

"I just need some time to think Foxy, but I promise you we'll talk about it." And Alex realised that he wanted to see Mulder again, for whatever reason.

"I'm seeing a counsellor about my problems..." Alex felt astonishment at Mulder's admission.

"I'm glad! You need the support!" Unspoken was the thought that Alex had refused his own support to Mulder. "Listen Mulder, can you do something for me? It's important. I'm in trouble with my new assignment."

Mulder sounded cautious. "Skinner told me a little about it. But what can I do?"

"Someone's dirty in the Bureau, Foxy! Someone wants us dead! You've got the best mind of anyone I know. Take a look. Maybe you can spot them."

"For you Alex, anything!" Alex was surprised at the passion in Mulder's voice. His lover had been listless and unresponsive to anything except his own suffering for months. "But if I have any success, you owe me a bar of chocolate. With all the trimmings!" Alex couldn't help it, he laughed aloud, and heard Mulder's throaty chuckle.

"Look after yourself, Alex!" The Mulder softly spoke the words. "I love you!"

Alex opened his mouth to speak, then paused. He didn't really know what to say. He eventually whispered a reply. "Yeah! I know, love. We'll talk!"

xx

It was pretty early in the morning when Alex called Washington, but Mulder had been awake. He didn't sleep much these days. Especially not when he was on his own, although Doctor Ross had given him some pills to help him sleep deeply when he needed to. The Doctor was a sympathetic woman friend of Scully, who had experience of trauma cases and regularly was involved in Bureau psych exams. She understood the pressures, and sometimes, the incendiary mental tensions that agents were under. He had managed to admit the truth about his ordeal and rape by Ash, although not what Ash was. That would probably get him a one way ticket to a mental hospital. He had cried a lot. Had huddled in on himself, rocking to and fro in distress. Had begun to scream when the memories overloaded his eidetic mind. And in the end, he had found a way to keep on living. For Alex, who would suffer so much, would blame himself, if anything happened to Mulder. Mulder wouldn't deliberately cause pain to the love of his life.

He was getting a new perspective on what Alex must have gone through, trying to keep him from self destructing. It must have been so painful to see his lover reduced to a vulnerable mass of neuroses and self pity. Then Alex had called, jolting him out of another round of torturous "what if's."

Alex sounded so alive and strong. Like a burning fire that he could warm himself against. And he held out hope to Mulder for the first time in an infinity of dark thoughts. He needed his Fox! He promised to return to see him. And he had shared a moment of sweet rapport with Mulder. Life wasn't good, but at least it was brighter than yesterday.

xx

Mulder had known from the timing and secrecy surrounding Alex's assignment, that it was probably the big Mafia trial that Alex was working on. But how to find a spy in their ranks? The first step was to go and see A.D. Skinner, and ask his permission to poke around in the department concerned. When he arrived in the Bureau building, Mulder headed straight to his office. He had decided to call ahead and try to get an appointment with Skinner that morning. Until then he could do a little research on the Organised Crime Squad members, and send out an e- mail to Frohike, asking him to check up on Louis Ferri and his former associates. It was still quite early, so Frohike was probably still asleep.

Mulder had no warning of an ambush. The first inkling he had of danger was when he was shoved forward violently by someone standing just inside his office, as he entered the door. He stumbled forward, and a second blonde attacker began to hit him ferociously. He tried to ward off the blows, then he caught an agonising blow to his kidneys, and fell to his knees, doubled over in pain. His arms were wrenched back savagely and handcuffed behind him. A piece of thick grey tape was jammed across his mouth.

The first attacker pressed a knife to the dazed agent's throat. "Move scum! You have an appointment to keep!" He was dragged to his feet and propelled along by Knife-man, who pushed him along the deserted corridor towards the stairs. There were a lot of maintenance areas nearby that would be perfect for a quiet little get together, whatever they intended. He tried to lunge away along the corridor, but his guard struck him in the back, sending a jolt of agony through him. He was guided into an empty equipment store and pushed forward again. He ended up on his knees, facing the two grinning assassins. It was then that he felt a surge of terror. They were taking a hell of a risk, attacking him here, so the stakes must be high. No-one knew of his interest in the Ferri case, and he hadn't actively investigated anything for months. So this was a message to his partners. It had to be. By someone who knew all about them.

The fire of need inside him flared up into a white hot pressure in his head. In his entire life, he had only shifted twice, both times when he was in intimate contact with Kulain. It was an instinct he had never learned to use, unlike the inherent talent Alex seemed to have for anything that enhanced his survival. But he needed Kulain's gift now more than ever before.

The vicious blonde thug twirled his knife in his hands, tauntingly, then gave a cold smile. "We have our orders, Agent Mulder. We were told to break you! Any way we please!" The knife man reached forward and trailed a finger down the terrified agent's face. "Maybe we'll get to know you a bit better while we damage you, Mulder." He smirked lavisciously and slowly began to unfasten his belt.

NO! NOT THAT. NOT AGAIN!

The fire inside Mulder's head exploded. He was unaware that his eyes changed, or that a shimmering darkness suddenly surrounded him in an aura. The two men recoiled in dismay. Mulder felt only the strength that made it so easy to pull his strained arms apart, snapping the metal cuffs. The Knife-man lunged, his taunts forgotten, trying to rip his blade through Mulder's abdomen. And the agent's hand flashed upwards, nails far longer than they had a right to be, savagely scoring open the man's chest, inches deep. With a howl, the attacker fell backwards, blood pouring from five long parallel cuts, and Mulder jammed the man's own knife into his side. The second man gave a cry of horror, and turned to flee, Mulder's inhuman speed stunning him so much that he forgot all about his gun. All the rage and fear and pain of the last weeks and months seemed to boil over. Mulder astonishingly fast, caught up with the man, deliberately reached forward and grabbed his shoulders. He pushed his knee into the man's back, and pulled. His demon strength snapped the man's spine, and effectively butchered him. Mulder ripped the tape from his mouth and stared down at the body in contempt. Then he turned and stalked out of the room. Some part of his mind was in shock at what he had just done, but mostly, he answered the call of his blood, the sweet power that ran through his veins. It swept away his fear and self doubt, and most of all, his vulnerability.

As he strode through the basement corridors, his anger began to give way to a cooler, more self assured frame of mind. Alex must have the Mob scared if they had tried to hit him here. Good. He was going to make them fucking terrified!

Skinner glanced up in surprise at the sounds coming from his secretary's office. He was in a meeting with the head of the Organised Crime Squad to plan their joint operations. Then his office door was flung open and Mulder walked in. Skinner started to protest at Mulder's audacity, then hesitated.

Glowing, slit pupilled eyes stared back at him, challengingly. And the nervous inadequacy that had been presenting so many problems for him was gone. Then Mulder's gleaming eyes glanced down, at the dangling remains of a handcuff on his wrist. Clawed fingers pulled at the metal, effortlessly crumpling it, then tossing it aside.

"The Mob just tried to kill me!" Mulder even sounded stronger and more confident. "You'll find their bodies in maintenance room 16." Inhuman eyes swept over Skinner's colleague. "I know all about Alex's assignment. But the question is, how did the Mob know about him and me? Only a bureau insider could know how much he cares about me. You've got a leak in your department, and I want to catch the sorry son of a bitch!"

Skinner let out his breath in a slow exhalation. Mulder was watching them both with that disturbingly penetrating gaze. Then he nodded. A competent and audacious Mulder was a long absent and welcome sight. Even if there were disturbing hints of otherness about him. He would always trust Mulder to guard his back. "You have full access to all aspects of this case, Mulder." Skinner said decisively. He quelled Jim Brook's protests with a sharp glance. "Sorry Jim, you've had weeks to trace your leak, and you've had no success. Let Mulder try. At least we can trust him to want our team protected."

xx

The first opportunity Alex had to be alone with Kulain didn't come for hours. In which time the ache in his balls was a constant reminder of what he wanted, needed from Kulain. He had forgotten how arousing Kulain's sleek, graceful movements, and even the sound of his voice were. He had hated it when Kulain fucked him hard, hadn't he? But that was exactly what he hungered for now!

Then finally, the two of them were patrolling outside the latest in a long line of motel stopovers, this one having private guest chalets that needed to be checked out. At first, Alex tried to ignore what his body wanted, but as he followed Kulain into a dark passageway between two buildings, his control vanished, and he grabbed his lover, slamming him up against the wall. Kulain laughed, caught hold of Alex, and kissed him hard, feeling the lithe body pressed against him. Long fingers tangled compellingly in the young man's hair. Alex rained kisses down on his lover's neck and chest, and slid to his knees before Kulain. He pulled down Kulain's zipper, and the demon's large erection sprang free. Alex went down on him, eagerly devouring what was offered to him. Rolling his tongue round the swollen head, then taking more of it in. Engulfing the shaft, then drawing back, giving a long pull with his mouth. He initiated a demanding rhythm, swallowing Kulain's erection as deep as he could, pumping the base with his hand. Teasing with lips and teeth. Feeling the hand that stroked his hair tenderly, talons that could rip him in half, tangling in the small curls of hair at the back of his neck.

"Enough!" Kulain spoke softly. Alex drew back reluctantly from the glistening cock, then he was lifted to his feet, his own pants were loosened, and he was in turn pushed against the wall. He knew what Kulain wanted, and spread his legs wide, opening himself for his lover. One hand crept down to pull at his rock hard cock. Then Kulain filled him utterly and completely. Immediately, he withdrew a little, and plunged into Alex again, angling his thrusts to give his lover most pleasure. Kulain began to drive himself into Alex's wide open body. Alex lost control, feeling himself shift, claws digging into the brickwork in front of him convulsively, each time Kulain penetrated him fully. He flung his head back sobbing aloud. Damn Kulain for making it feel so very good. Powerful arms went around him. One holding him, the other finding his cock, trailing danger along it as talons slid towards its base. A fist close around the base of Alex's cock then, restraining his orgasm as it tried to control his body. Oh god, that tight grip as Kulain continued to take his pleasure. The agent began to writhe in ecstasy in his dark lover's arms. And finally he was allowed to come, and spurted his semen in a hot stream against the wall in front of him. Kulain responded by pumping his dark seed into Alex's hot depths. Kulain withdrew. Alex felt weak at the knees, and sagged into the strong support of his lover's arms. "I wish we had time for more, little one."

Kulain drew him close, gently fastening his disarranged clothing. Kulain let his face burrow into the side of Alex's neck. He softly licked the warm flesh, enjoying the taste of lust and fulfilment in the chemicals lingering on the velvet skin. He sighed in satisfaction. "My sweet Alex. I've loved you since the first time you gave yourself to me." Then so quietly that Alex barely heard him, "I was alone for so long before the two of you enchanted me. Don't leave us alone again Alex. Mulder isn't the only one who needs you."

xx

Tia's latest plan had failed. Mulder had more than made up for the weakness he had displayed in the past. He had slaughtered her two agents. And she could feel her quarry surrounded by Kulain and Alex's protection. The familiar hunger for blood stirred within her.

There was still an option left to her. A way to kill the prey. It had become a matter of honour for her now. To be defeated by Kulain's humans would be too humiliating. Smiling, she called her three human associates to her, young men who served her Mafia employees. Casting a fog over their minds to make her task easier, she slit the palm of her hand with a sharp talon. She proceeded to make a small scratch on the arm of each man, and introduced a little of her blood into the wound.

Their infection would progress rapidly, giving each demonic strength and cunning, though destroying higher thought processes. The three new drones were given their instructions. Even as they left, their eyes were beginning to take on a ghostly yellow glow.

xx

The Lone Gunmen had grown used to Fox Mulder and his eccentricities over the years. He hadn't been around for a while though, and once again, disturbing rumours were making the rounds. Mainly that Mulder was having another breakdown. He had never been the same since that time he had disappeared for several weeks. For a while, he had started to recover, but lately... The three men had discussed their friend's problems at length. He got involved in such weird supernatural shit. And his personal life was even more unconventional than theirs.

It was something of a surprise for Frohike to get an e-mail from Mulder requesting help on a new case. And a pretty explosive one at that. Mafia related. There would be huge repercussions if the Lone Gunmen were found to be interfering in a high profile government case, both from the F.B.I. and from the Mob themselves. Still, it did no harm to do a little light sifting of the facts. Find out exactly who was involved in the case, and give Mulder a few nuggets of information.

"Mulder's here!" Byers glanced at the small t.v. screen that he had recently installed. A monitoring system that let them check out who was outside before opening the door. A small example of their paranoia.

Byers pressed the door release button, and Mulder entered. A few minutes later, he walked into their workspace. To their mutual surprise, Mulder looked confident and revitalised. He grinned in greeting and sank down onto the scruffy couch. "Well guys, any luck in tracing that information for me?"

"Sure Mulder." Frohike pulled out a sheaf of papers from the printer tray of his computer. "Lots of information on the O.C.G. guys, and most of the facts that the prosecution are planning to use in their case."

Mulder looked surprised. "If you hacked into the Justice Department's computers, I don't want to know." The three pretended to look innocent, and failed miserably.

"Say Mulder, why do you want this information anyway?" Frohike was curious.

For a moment, Mulder hesitated, pondering exactly what he should tell them. What the hell. Alex was in trouble, maybe they could help. "Alex is on witness protection duty. Guess who for!"

"No shit!" Langly said in surprise. "Is there something supernatural going on then?"

Mulder shook his head. "Not that I know of, guys. But there's someone dirty in the O.C.G. The leaks are coming thick and fast from their department. I just want to catch them before Alex gets hurt."

Byers laughed unexpectedly. They all turned to stare at the normally aloof Gunman. "The idea of Alex Krycek being scared of an assassin is ridiculous, Mulder. That man could take out half of Washington with his bare hands. Or should I say claws?"

"I need to make sure he's safe." Mulder closed his eyes for a moment and sighed heavily. "We've been having problems. We've separated." He sensed their concern. "I can't be there to watch out for him, so I have to at least do this for him!" His pain must have showed on his face, for Frohike reached out a tentative hand and gripped his shoulder in encouragement. Well, the doctor had told him to be more open about his problems. Perhaps she had a point, he hadn't realised how much his friends cared about him before.

"Hey guys!" Byers said, suddenly urgent. "There's a man at the front entrance trying to get in!" The others turned to stare at the screen. Just in time to see the man slam his hands into the metal door, sending it flying backwards, twisted and buckled by the force of his blow. Glowing yellow eyes turned towards the entrance, and he moved out of sight. Mulder was moving forward, even as the three Lone Gunmen, as one, moved to the furthest point away from the door. "Told you we should have rented a place with a back exit!" Byers muttered.

Mulder pulled his gun, standing alongside the door. It was a wise move, for moments later, it burst inwards and the man walked in. Mulder didn't hesitate. He fired at the intruder, emptying a full clip into the demonic creature's body. Golden eyes turned towards him in contempt, then a ghastly smile pulled at its distorted face, as it found the object of its quest. A fist flew at Mulder, and he dived backwards, barely avoiding the killing blow. He flung his now useless gun at it, and the creature ducked the missile with effortless inhuman speed. The change came easier this time. The demon strength flooding his body, energising him, and filling him with cold, clean rage. He moved forward, lithe and graceful and engaged his opponent. Yellow eyes narrowed in cunning, and feinting left, the creature dodged past Mulder, seized a computer monitor and threw it at the agent. One arm came up to deflect the object, even as the drone followed up its' action by lunging at Mulder, intent on disembowelling him. A clawed hand shot out, raking the drone across the face, and it howled as its own momentum carried it past Mulder. In the instant when its back was turned, the agent moved in for the kill. In some small way, it was so exhilarating. One taloned hand reached round the neck of the enemy, and the other speared forward in a piercing motion.

The three cowering Gunmen saw the impossible blur of speed that was Fox Mulder suddenly hesitate, gathering his strength, then the intruder's chest exploded outwards in an eruption of blood, as a clawed fist punched through it. And a second hand slit the assassin's throat. Incredibly, the golden eyes didn't dim, the assassin staggered and turned towards Mulder, who moved back out of its reach, graceful as a dancer. A low hissing laugh emerged from its bloody mouth. From the torn throat emerged gurgling sounds that resolved themselves into words. "The lady Tiamat will have your head, servant of Kulain. Unless you do her homage by giving up to her the human Ferri. Join her service or you and your kind will die!" Mulder's face twisted in revulsion. His hands were a blur of forward motion, then he gripped the creature's head and twisted explosively, breaking it's cervical vertebrae.

There was a stunned silence, only broken by Langly's whimper as he pushed himself to his feet. Mulder stood before his three friends, eyes glowing an intense emerald colour, long taloned hands dripping blood.

"Mulder?" Frohike whispered. The agent watched them in cool appraisal. Momentarily, as the sharp gaze passed over them, the humans felt as though they were in the presence of something otherworldly, and utterly dangerous. Then Mulder blinked, and before their eyes, he shifted, his body readjusting to its human form.

He lifted his hands and stared in disbelief at the blood. "Oh god, it happened again, didn't it?" Like the last time when he had come down from that exhilarating high, the rush of power through his body, his own actions had shocked him. Not that he regretted defending himself and his friends, but his own capacity for violence had scared him. And his enjoyment of it! The demon instincts that took him over and controlled him.

Mulder fled to the bathroom. He found himself puking up most of his breakfast, retching until all that remained were dry heaves. Gradually, the shivering stopped and he was able to scrub his hands and nails free of blood and clinging pieces of flesh. He eventually flung a little water onto his face, trying to get a grip on his emotions. When he emerged, the three Gunmen were contemplating the problem of the corpse on their floor.

"Maybe we should put it in the trunk of your car, Byers. And take it to the woods somewhere." Frohike tried to be practical.

"Absolutely not. Under no circumstances!" Byers was equally adamant that he wasn't going to get involved. "He killed it. Let him get rid of it!"

Then they saw Mulder standing, watching them. "What the fuck are you?" Langly said softly.

Mulder shivered. "I don't know anymore. I'll get rid of it. But you can pay for the damage to your front door!" Frohike snickered. Then something occurred to Mulder. "There's no way anyone knew I was coming here. How the hell did anyone trace me to this place?"

Byers frowned. "Check yourself for bugs lately Mulder?" At Mulder's headshake, he pulled out one of his gadgets and quickly scanned the agent. "Yes That's it!" He grabbed a pair of scissors from his desk drawer and separated the stitches on the sleeve of Mulder's jacket. A tiny bug, less than an inch across, fell out. "Standard locator, as used by the CIA and others." He ground it under his heel. Byers passed Mulder the little machine. "You'd better check the rest of your stuff Mulder. And warn Alex to do the same."

"Hope you aren't planning any more surprises Mulder, my nerves can't take it." Langly glared at him.

"Sorry Langly, the Mob seems to have gotten itself demon enforcers. They're the ones who'll be calling the shots for a while."

He pulled out his slightly battered mobile phone, only bashed twice today, and keyed in Alex's number. The Gunmen, seeing the look on his face, gave him some privacy, and went to inspect the damage to their doors. After a few rings, his ex-lover answered. "Alex Krycek here." The warm tones of the man he loved echoed over the phone.

"Alex! It's Mulder. I've been having some problems here."

Careful, don't let yourself sound so vulnerable

"Foxy? Are you alright? What happened?" Well, at least he still seemed to care.

"There are a lot of people round here who don't want me nosing around. I was tackled by two men this morning in my office who'd been told to break me. That convinced Skinner to let me do some digging. And I've just killed another hit man who tracked me to the Gunmen's office. This one wasn't human Alex! He was Tia's servant. And he gave me a warning to keep away from Ferri!"

"Mulder, I didn't want to worry you. But she's already tried to get him, herself. I still don't know how I stayed alive. I guess she wasn't expecting me. I called Kulain here to help me."

Mulder felt sick. How close had Alex come to being killed? "Are you OK?" he whispered.

"Yeah Foxy, don't worry. I'm hard to kill! So are you apparently!"

"I changed! Like you do... I need to talk with you soon Alex. About everything!"

"Mulder listen!" His former partner sounded so concerned. "We'll be in Washington tomorrow, in time for the Grand Jury hearings. Meet me at the Vermont Hotel tomorrow night. And make sure you aren't followed."

"Alex, check yourself for bugs! We've found one planted on my jacket. You could be in more trouble than you realise. Look after yourself. I love you!" He pressed the call disconnect button before he could hear Alex's indecision over how to answer that last sentence.

xx

Alex put the phone into his pocket after Mulder's disturbing call. Mulder seemed to be holding together well, he could obviously handle any problems that came his way. Alex felt a little twinge of jealousy. In some dark corner of his mind, perhaps he had wanted Mulder to be lost without him, to prove how much he was loved. And Mulder hadn't given him a chance to answer that last welcome declaration. He knew by then that he had been so stupid. That he was far more unhappy when he was away from Mulder than when he could hold that warm body in his arms and receive Mulder's unconditional love and acceptance. He still loved Mulder so much!

With difficulty, he forced himself to concentrate on business. Now he had to check the place for those damned bugs!

xx

Mulder turned as the three Lone Gunmen entered the room. "You look like you've been having a tough day Mulder." Langly said. Frohike elbowed him in the ribs. "Sorry I spoke!" the little man snapped. "But I was just going to point out something that might brighten up his day." They all looked expectantly at him. He reached down and picked up the remains of the little bug that had been planted on Mulder. "Don't you know that these things have a code number. Look at it under a magnifier and you can read it, trace the batch it came from."

Mulder's eyes lit up. "And take us one step closer to the bastard that tried to kill me!"

It took a while to read the crumpled metal coding stamp, and hack into the right computers, but eventually the three men had successful results in their search. In the meantime, Mulder stretched out his long legs on the couch and leaned back, drifting quickly into sleep. Both times when he had shifted, he ended up utterly tired afterwards, as if it drained his body in some way, to produce such an incredible change.

"Mulder!" Byers nudged his arm tentatively. Brown eyes opened sleepily, and the agent sat up, trying to work the tension out of his muscles. The little man was eager to tell Mulder his news. "It's part of a consignment sent to the O.C.G. Ten were sent to the unit. You'll have to go there to check their own records if you want to know more.

xx

It took a long afternoons work to search out the file he wanted from the many thousands of transactions recorded. The special security coding on many of the files made the job twice as difficult. Finally, he had the document he wanted. Of the ten units, he managed to trace seven, which he checked personally, all were still in storage. He didn't miss the hostile glances he was getting from the half dozen men and women working in the large office area. But he was on a roll now, it didn't seem necessary to be too cautious among all these witnesses. The three remaining units in the consignment were harder to track down. One was logged in use on a counterfeiting case in the city. One was registered as lost when the suspect it was planted on was involved in an explosion on his yacht. And the last was taken out by Agent Dale Martin for unspecified purposes, three days ago. Jackpot! He walked into the section chief's office and carefully placed the file on top of Jim Brooks' desk.

"I want to talk to Agent Martin, straight away!"

"He's just in the office there, third desk on the right." With a wave of his hand, Brooks indicated the outer room. Mulder strolled towards the agent, who was at work on his computer terminal. He glanced up and saw Mulder advancing on him.

Shit!

The agent flung himself away from his desk, his hand diving down under it momentarily, and emerging with a sawn off shotgun. "Gun!" Mulder yelled in warning, and flung himself sideways as the barrel came to bear on him. Then there was a roar as the agent pulled the trigger. Mulder found himself hidden behind a desk along with the rest of the office staff, at least one of whom had been hit, as the traitor kept pumping cartridges at them. Eventually, he ran out of ammunition and Mulder took the opportunity to rush at him. And found himself face to face with another of Tiamat's yellow eyed servants. He hadn't realised that they could shift too, when they wanted to remain inconspicuous.

But there was no room for thought. As clawed fingers flashed towards him, he let the inevitable change happen, blocked the blow with his forearm. He heard someone nearby whimpering with terror. Then his opponent shoulder tackled him, slamming him backwards. He managed to bring his feet back up to kick out at the enemy, sending him reeling. It gave Mulder time to find his feet. "Freeze or I'll fire!" Brooks yelled, having at last found his courage. Too late, as it happens. Clawed hands seized him, and broke his struggling body across a massive knee. The still fresh corpse was hurled at Mulder as he stood up. Even as it crashed into him with stunning force, he knew he was in trouble. The force of the impact slammed him against the full length glass window behind him and helpless to stop himself, he crashed through it. He began to fall fifty feet towards the plaza below. He would never be able to articulate what happened next. There were no human references for it. Only that his body twisted instinctively in mid air, like a cat's, the demon survival instincts taking over, and he impacted feet first on the concrete below. It should have broken his legs, or shattered some part of his body to fall that far. But incredulous, he found himself intact, relatively unscathed, staring up at the window he had fallen from. He caught a glimpse of gold eyes staring at him, before the drone disappeared. Well at least there would be no more leaks! Then he became aware that half a hundred pairs of eyes, members of the public, and F.B.I. colleagues were all agog, because they had just seen something totally impossible happen...

xx

Skinner was, as always, pissed with him, as if it was his fault that he had uncovered and busted a demonic plot. "Didn't you think to call for backup, Mulder?"

Mulder shook his head. "I was in a room full of agents, and I wasn't expecting a demon!"

"And you're supposed to be the expert! Jim Brooks was a friend of mine."

"There's a war going on out there, in case you hadn't noticed!" Mulder was furious. "The F.B.I.'s given me virtually no support, and I've been attacked more than once today. Give me some slack! I was just thrown out of a fifth floor window, for gods sake! I don't know how I'm still alive. And I found your traitor."

"Yes, Agent Mulder. And you lost him! The Grand Jury hearing is tomorrow. There better not be any more problems!"

Yeah. Sure!

xx

Mulder was tired. The bone deep weariness that comes from pushing your body for too long at a physical activity. All he wanted was to sleep. But he had to meet Alex at the Vermont Hotel bar. He would have to be dead to miss that appointment.

He took the precaution of changing cabs three times on the way there, and carefully scanned the traffic, until he was sure he wasn't being followed. Arriving at the rendezvous, he walked into the bar. Alex sat there on a stool, talking to the barman. The sight of that long, lean body propped up against the bar was so good he caught his breath. Alex turned, and a smile lit up his face when he saw his ex-partner. "Hi, Foxy." The penetrating green eyes swept over him, taking in his exhausted appearance, and a look of concern appeared. "Maybe you'd better come up to our rooms, it's more private there."

Mulder nodded. To tell the truth, he was so tired by now that the world was greying out a little round the edges. He felt Alex's hand upon his arm, steering him into the lift. Moments later, he was directed into a room with a double bed. Alex pushed him down onto it. "Mulder, you're asleep on your feet. Get some rest. We can talk later."

"Promise!" Mulder whispered.

"Yeah!" Alex sounded firm.

Mulder finally let go. This was the one place in the world he could be sure of being safe, close to both of the men he loved. Whatever Alex felt for him, he wouldn't let the demons come close, he would watch over Mulder. The older man's body slid sideways, falling against Alex, but he was already asleep, and was unaware of his ex-partner's proximity.

Alex looked regretfully at Mulder. There was an unconscious sweetness about him when he was asleep. Alex reached out and irresistibly stroked the other man's face. Mulder moaned softly, and his arms moved automatically around Alex's body as he shifted into a more comfortable position. Alex found himself quietly crying. He lay back on the bed, drawing Mulder close to him and kissed the agent's forehead. It wouldn't hurt to stay next to Mulder on the bed for a while. He could leave before the other man awoke. No harm in that. Mulder nestled closer to him, his body deliciously warm. It seemed that Alex had been cold for so long. He too drifted into sleep.

xx

Tiamat made her plans for the morning. The weakness of the humans' justice system was that all witnesses had to appear at a given place and time. A moment when her servants could strike. After all, they were expendable. And she herself would enjoy the challenge of keeping Kulain busy. The last time they had fought, the match had been equal. But since he had been living with humans, surely his fighting efficiency would be reduced.

xx

Mulder dreamed. His lover was warm and tempting beneath him, firm muscles and lean body pressed against his for most of its length. Arousal stirred within him. He let his fingers stray until they found the sleeping man's cock, and began to rub it softly. Within moments, his lover became erect, and he lowered his lips to taste the delicious liquid seeping from its' tip. This was a wonderful dream. He began to move his head up and down on the beautiful cock, as he repeatedly took it in deep and sucked at it. He loved doing this so much. It was one of the best dreams he had experienced in months. He could even hear the soft moans his lover was making. He felt the sudden tension in his lover's body, then he was swallowing the delectable semen that jetted into his mouth. He laid his head on the hard muscled stomach, and sighed happily. A marvellous dream. Strong fingers came up and stroked his hair and he drowsed, happy and secure at that touch.

xx

Waking for Alex was incredibly good. Breathtaking sensations spiralling around his erect cock. Slow torturous stimulation that triggered motion in his body. Thrusting upwards into the source of that pleasure. Climbing higher and higher until finally, he exploded upwards in ecstasy. It took him a while to gather his shattered thoughts together. Realised what had just happened to him. He ran his fingers through Mulder's hair and reached out to tilt up the older man's chin so that he could look into hazel eyes. For a moment, Mulder's eyes were softly unfocussed. He smiled dreamily. Then Mulder realised that this was reality. Alex grinned. Why fight a force of nature. "You have an interesting way of talking, Foxy!"

The uncertainty that had appeared in the older man's face disappeared, replaced by a shy smile. "Well, at least I used my mouth!"

"Foxy, you give the best wake up calls of anyone I've ever met! Fancy a job for life?"

It took a moment for Mulder to realise what the implications of that little speech were. Then astonishment gave way to a quiet joy. He reached out and hugged Alex tightly, felt his partner return the embrace.

"I'm sorry Foxy. I've been so stupid. I've been miserable without you. I just didn't know how to get you back again."

They were interrupted by a loud hammering on the door. "Krycek! Time to get up. Breakfast in ten minutes!"

"I've already had breakfast!" Mulder said slyly. Alex leaned forward and kissed him hungrily. "I suppose we'll have to save dessert for later!"

Kowalski turned alertly as the door opened, and felt a momentary surprise. Though why he should find Krycek's sex life as astonishing he didn't know. The man obviously had a vigorous sexual appetite. But with his boss in the bureau? And Kulain! He wondered what that formidable being thought of the arrangement. His curiosity was satisfied when Fox Mulder's eyes sparkled at Kulain and he moved forward for Kulain to hungrily kiss him.

"A menage a trois, Krycek?" he murmured to the young man. The response was a satisfied smile with a hint of amusement. So this was Fox Mulder. One of the most brilliant, and reportedly unstable minds of his generation.

"I found the leak in the O.C.G!" The genius spoke. At Kowalski's questioning glance, he went into greater detail. "It was Agent Dale Martin!"

"No shit!" Miller said, startled.

"Your colleague was a demon in disguise," Mulder said. "He pushed me out of a fifth floor window and got away." In the silence that followed that remark, Mulder challenged his dark lover. "Kulain. I think you have a lot of explaining to do!" The demon smiled and remained silent. The agents began to plan their actions for the day. How to get to the courtroom without being ambushed.

xx

Two hours later, they were en route, in three cars, all with bullet proof glass and black tinted windows. The plan was to draw up at the court building and hurry up the steps into the courtroom. Mulder and Miller would protect Ferri, Kulain would watch the perimeter, whilst Alex and Kowalski would stay ten feet out in a flanking manoeuvre. The Bureau was supposed to provide a high security presence anyway, but there had already been too many disasters connected with this case.

xx

Tiamat watched the quarry as it stepped out of the black car. Amused at their predictability, she signalled to her servants and they began to spring the trap. She moved towards the dark presence she sensed, and began to stalk Kulain. She felt his response, and the two demons began their own deadly dance of death. Meanwhile, her servants, whom she had increased to five, began to close in on the hapless prey.

Simultaneously, from what seemed like every direction, golden eyed attackers flung themselves at the humans, aiming for the most vulnerable among them.

Alex fired his gun repeatedly, but it had as little an effect on the drones as on Tiamat herself. Alex resorted to his one reliable weapon, his own claws, and launched himself aggressively at the nearest pair of attackers. Miller was desperately holding one off, and so was Kowalski, as Alex recklessly fielded the double attack of his opponents. By luck, rather than judgement, he took one out by slamming its head down onto his rising knee, shattering the sneering face. The second one leapt back, and they began to battle with claws alone, striking at each other. Each caught the other a few small gashes on arms and body, then Alex sank his clawed fist into the other's side, deep enough to strike some vital organ. He was victorious, and immediately moved to help Kowalski and Miller. A quick glance at Mulder saw him holding his own, Ferri cowering behind him, as a big demon attacked him. Alex saw with astonishment, and a small degree of pride, that Mulder was striking out with talons similar to his own. Gradually, they began to drive off their enemies.

Tiamat sensed the expected result of the fight below. A cunning diversion. Her movements had been carefully calculated in the conflict with Kulain, to bring her onto the top of the six story building overlooking the courthouse steps, at this precise moment. Kulain had been trying to keep her away from Ferri, never suspecting her master plan. Never let it be said that she couldn't learn from humans, or from her mistakes. Kulain would never anticipate that she would use human weapons in her hunt. It was an outrageous idea for a demon, and without the honour of the Hunt.

Teeth and claws Alone for kills

She picked up the powerful crossbow, and sighted down it. Then fired two bolts in quick succession.

xx

Ferri screamed as the bolt pierced his brain through his right eye. He was dead even before he hit the ground. And his wife began to wail in desperate grief.

And the second bolt took Mulder in the centre of his chest. The demon strength was no match for the cold steel that slid completely through his body, bane of all things of Hell.

PAIN

A brief fire blossomed inside Mulder's body, then there was a curious peaceful lassitude that seemed to steal through him. He felt so tired. Where was Alex? He was so cold, perhaps Alex's strong arms could warm him up. Then his lover was there next to him, a terrible anguish on his face.

"No Mulder! No!"

Why was he crying? "It doesn't hurt, love..." So tired. "Hold me!" He whispered the words to Alex.

The young man pulled him close. "Don't leave me Mulder. Please!"

"I'm sorry...." Mulder's words were so weak Alex could barely hear them.

"No!" Distantly Mulder heard Alex scream. He was falling now, everything seemed so far away, so dark...

xx

Mulder was dying. Helplessly, Alex watched as blood seeped from the wound that had pierced his heart. There was a heat inside his head that wouldn't seem to go away. He jammed his hand against the wound as some instinct took over. White fire came boiling out of his left hand, burning into Mulder's skin. His lover's body arched upwards as the energy flooded through him, searing away the pain and blood and damaged tissue. And vanished.

Alex found himself holding a whole and undamaged body in his arms.

Feebly, Mulder stirred and opened his eyes, staring at him in awe, even as he felt the wonder of what he had done.

He had healed

With a small, satisfied sigh, Alex Krycek toppled forward in a dead faint across his beloved Mulder's body.

xx

Tiamat had felt Kulain's rage and anguish as she struck at his one weakness. Smiling, she slunk back into the shadows and disappeared. There would be a next time of course, and he would be twice as eager to kill her then. But her plans had been most successful. The Mob would be happy, but better still, would give that accomplished hunter a chance to worm her way deeper into their organisation. Such potential for destruction lay there. She had to have it!

xx

Kulain plunged past the terrified onlookers and came to a stop before his two lovers. And stopped, surprised. His modifications to Alex's body shouldn't have been activated yet, but somehow the young man had side- stepped all his safeguards and, thankfully, had healed his lover.

Kulain bent down and lifted the deeply unconscious human into his arms. The act of using power had used up most of the primary and secondary energy reserves in Alex's body, taking him close to the edge himself.

Mulder pushed himself to his feet, and swayed unsteadily. Kowalski grabbed his colleague and steadied him, and they went inside the courthouse. The O.C.G. agent looked stunned and wondering as he stared at Krycek.

Once he had privacy, Kulain opened a gate, and carried Alex through it, Mulder stumbled after them. Their home. Kulain laid Alex down on the bed, and pulled Mulder down next to him. "Sleep!" He used his own mental gifts to impose his will on Mulder. He lay next to the two humans and sent tendrils of dark energy through them to replenish their life energy which had been frighteningly diminished. His little experiment with Alex had been a success. But at a terrible cost. He had come so close to disaster today. Odd that as he made Alex and Mulder less human, they seemed to be making him so much more human. Their love was a constant in his life now, and he responded to it as best he knew how. Always learning from them, so addicted to their sweetness, and the feel of their beautiful bodies against his. A single tear rolled down his cheek, as, unique among his kind, he discovered the agony of grief.

xx

Amara watched him in the mirror, hours later. "You depend too much on those humans, my dear one!" Her reproach was clear.

"What else have I got?" Kulain was blunt. "We lost everything in The Fall. We only have what we make for ourselves."

"And the gate network!" She said softly. "If you want a moments entertainment, look up the human legends about us. Most amusing! It seems to be in their suspicious natures to treat everything they don't understand as either divine or demonic. So far from the truth!"

Kulain's eyes narrowed as he watched her. "So we change their bodies and their society to bring a memory of a lost time a little closer. It disgusts me to use them like that!"

Shocked silver eyes stared back at him. "And will you say that to the others when they arrive here? Expecting a world at their feet!" Silence greeted her, for Kulain had severed the connection between them. He would learn to live with his pain. He must!

xx

It had been a week since the astonishing events of the Ferri trial fiasco, as the newspapers were calling it. Their names had been kept out of the glare of publicity, but Mulder had felt the cold wind of change blowing through the F.B.I. offices. His department, and the two unlucky O.C.G. agents, Kowalski and Miller, were at the top of everyones' to be dumped upon list. He had managed to get the two transferred to his department, to at least save them the humiliation of a quick dismissal. But for the next six months he was going to have to kiss major league butt, just to get a requisition of paper clips.

In a way, it was a relief that Thanksgiving was here at last. His mother, with her formidable efficiency in these matters, would have made all her arrangements long ago. He had promised to introduce the love of his life to her in their last hurried phone call, but he had no qualms about making his excuses for his missing partner. For good or bad, his mother was expecting him home, possibly even with a surprise guest. He didn't think so. He had pushed his relationship as far as he dared with Alex lately. So while the young man was still sleeping, that morning, he had loaded his bags into the car and left for his old home.

He drove in silence for most of the long journey. He felt so tired by the time he got there, his body still showed lingering after effects of the attack. He rested his head momentarily against the wheel, then sighed softly. He rose out of his seat and locked the car door, then went round to the trunk to get out his bags. He winced as a brief stab of pain from newly healed flesh reminded him to take it easy.

"Need a hand with that?" A familiar voice behind him. Mulder spun round in astonishment. Alex grinned engagingly.

"I couldn't stay away Foxy, no matter how much I hate social gatherings. I asked Kulain to give me a boost here, when I found out where you'd gone."

Hugging your lover in the middle of the street is one way of announcing your sexuality to the world. In this case it was quite effective!

Mulder's arms went up around Alex's shoulders and he leaned in for a long, loving and totally delicious kiss. Somewhere along the way, it turned into a passionate declaration of their love, as hands, and bodies tangled up in each other for many long minutes.

The two of them finally drew apart. To find Mulder's mother, several aunts and uncles, and an assortment of cousins all gaping at them from the house entrance. All wore identical stunned expressions.

Mulder swallowed. Alex was smiling at him, eyes sparkling with laughter. Mulder extended a hand, which was gripped tightly by his partner. "I can do anything if you're with me, my love!"

xx

Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk

Part VI: Predators

Feedback to Megaera@Megaera.demon.co.uk
FEEDBACK is life
RATING NC-17 SLASH
CONTENT WARNING m/m sex, violence
SPOILERS None
DISCLAIMER All X Files Characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox, I've just borrowed them for a while. I am not making any profit out of this, it's just for entertainment. The character of Kulain is mine but you can use him if you like, Mr. Carter.
COMMENTS This story is set in an Alternate Universe where demons can interact more freely with humans and can shapeshift. If you don't like my laws of physics, go find your own.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]