Go to notes and disclaimers


Tip to Sea
by May-conX


"We are the middle children of history...
We have no great war, no great depression...
And we're very pissed off."
—Tyler Durden – 'Fight Club'

A small envelope appeared from under the edge of Special Agent Fox Mulder's apartment door. Fox Mulder was watching TV, some late night show about "crop circles" he'd seen once before. He didn't notice the envelope for some time, still with no hesitation swung open the door to see dim hall lights and emptiness. Picking up the envelope and returning to his couch he tore the end and peered into the white sleeve. A small folded piece of paper was sitting at the bottom. Once removed, the paper had simple instructions...

Mulder—
Airport locker #322, second level, in 1 hour
Alone and ready for travel.

Mulder thought of calling Scully, but having just returned from the arctic and exhausted he thought he better let her sleep. This was probably nothing, just someone needing to talk. Then he read it again 'Alone and ready for travel'. After a minute or two of tossing a coin, 31-heads and 9-tails (head = pack a bag), he was on his way.

Mulder was in his car and heading to the airport. One hour was all he had after all and he didn't know how long the note had been there. He found his way to the locker quickly and inside was a plane ticket and another note. He took both, not reading the note or even looking at the ticket, and went directly into the bathroom labeled "Men" in large black lettering. Mulder occupied an empty stall and examined them. The ticket was to a small airport in Southern California. The note read...

Mulder—
It'd be in your best interest to be on the
docks at Weserner Marina, Pier 36.
I believe there's something you want there,
but it may not want you. Go before sunrise,
stay hidden, and I'm sure it will be worth your time.
Please, it is important.

Checking his watch he realized the flight left in only twelve minutes. Conveniently he was at the right gate. Still a little cautious of his safety he telephoned Scully, telling her only that he was leaving and would call her in the morning.

Mulder copied the flight information to a blank sheet of paper. He placed both notes and the copied information into a locker numbered "298". He then took the key and went to the nearest service station. A young woman with a yellow name tag that read "Tiff" sat behind the counter reading a magazine.

"Miss...would I be able to get an envelope from you?" Mulder gave her a bright smile. "I need to mail something...What's the fastest mailing service you have?" He smiled more softly this time.

"We have 'one day delivery,' here you go." The woman stretched to give him an envelope. "If it's local, you just fill out the envelope...it will be $2.30 to send it overnight, I'll do the rest." She smiled as he gave her the money, exact change.

xx

Mulder heard the last call for his flight and boarded the plane. He fell asleep in no time. Mulder awoke to a flight attendant asking for him to put his seatbelt on for the landing.

On the ground Mulder retrieved his bag from over head and left the plane. The Weserner Marina was several miles from the airport. He decided to hail a taxi. He found a small hotel just a mile and a half from the marina. He purchased a room and paid one day putting a hold for two more. Once inside his room he took out his phone and wondered what to tell Scully. 'I don't want her to come here, but if I don't tell her where I am she'll worry herself' Mulder thought. Finally he dialed her cellular phone number.

"Scully." She answered with a little more alertness than usual.

"Scully it's me. I'm in southern California, a couple hundred miles south of Long Beach. I'm checking a tip out...I..." Mulder was interrupted by Scully.

"Your rambling...now what's going on?"

"I'll be home in a couple days, but if I'm not, I sent you a key to an airport locker. Inside is where I am and why. If I am in trouble...find out who's behind this," Mulder paused then quickly said, "I need this Scully...trust me, and I will call you as soon as I can." He waited for her response.

"I don't know...Why don't I meet you...I could get the next plane..." This time Mulder cut her off.

"Scully! No, no I'll call you later." He listened once more.

"Mulder." She spoke in a disapproving tone.

"I'm shutting my phone off so don't call...I'll be fine, really." This time he sounded certain.

"I don't like this, sure I can't change your mind?" Scully spoke slowly and clearly, hoping her calm voice would rationalize her partner's thoughts.

"I'm sure, would you feed my fish?" Mulder smiled and waited to hear her voice lighten.

"Yes. Take care." He hung up first.

'What are you up to?' Scully spoke to herself. She went back to bed with curiosity of her partners unexpected travel lingering in her thoughts.

xx

Mulder slept until about an hour before dawn, yet woke with more energy than expected. He pulled on clean clothes and started walking. Not knowing exactly who or what he was looking for he decided to stay off the road and out of sight. After a few minutes he could see the marina ahead. He quickened his pace and soon was surrounded by crates and small boathouses at the edge of the northern docks. The only sign he could find read "Northern Piers 30-40."

Mulder could see figures moving further away and what looked like a boat being loaded with large crates. He crept closer to what seemed the center of the activity. At this point he wished he had brought binoculars. From what he could see it looked as though men in dark clothing were finishing a loading job that had to have taken all night. Mulder knew his tip must have been good.

He could see a building not far which offered cover, but every other direction was too open to risk moving across. Mulder swiftly ran, ducked down, and around to the other side of the building. He still couldn't see from there. He knew if he tried to go around the building he might be seen. Mulder looked up at a ladder a foot above his head. With the dim morning light and the slight touch of fog he trusted the roof to make a good hideout. Mulder jumped grabbing the bottom of the ladder and hauling himself up as quietly as possible. When he reached the top, he slid onto the roof and out of view.

Once he had gotten there he paused to listen for any signs that he had been heard. There were none. Mulder crawled slowly to the edge and lay almost flat. He peered over the edge and saw only two crates remained. One man was standing by the farther one and he could hear two or three more men talking from inside the boat. The outside man went in and came back with another man. The two of them carried the farther crate onto the boat, then down below deck. Still more talking, barely audible, from inside the boat. Mulder could only wait. He realized they wouldn't leave the last crate behind. This reassured him that they wouldn't leave without him knowing what was going on.

He held his breath trying desperately to hear their words, still only a faint hum of voices. The two men reappeared with yet another man. The tallest of the three began to speak,

"Bring the truck around, you two can handle that crate into the back right?" He was speaking to the man who had helped him with the last crate. "Hurry now, it's getting lighter."

The two men walked down the row of boathouses and got into a filthy white pick-up truck. This made Mulder realize that it was still to dark to identify any of them, he hoped they wouldn't leave him here without the secrets he'd come for. The truck's headlights flashed on causing Mulder to jerk down. He could hear the tall man speaking to someone else.

"Don't forget the briefcase," he called onto the boat.

Mulder continued to watch as the men in the truck got out and went to the rear. While they were lifting the crate the tall man went back on board. Another man met him on deck and handed him a standard size briefcase.

"Are you sure you'll be alright alone?" The tall man sounded concerned and a little eager. The man who brought the briefcase nodded several times, patting the tall man twice on the back. The tall man continued, "The coordinates are in the safe and don't forget to start dropping before you get there." The men walked closer to the dock. "The chopper will pick you up before noon tomorrow, you do remember the site don't you?"

"Yes, stop worrying old man it'll all go as smoothly as you've planned it." The man who was apparently the only one leaving was whispering. Mulder could still hear him and felt he had heard that voice somewhere before. Without a face to match it and the low volume he couldn't make a connection. Then the tall man began to speak again,

"You'll deserve a vacation after this...Take care Alex."

Mulder froze. For a moment he forgot to breathe altogether. He really couldn't tell by looking at the man on the boat, but it did sound a bit like Krycek. Was this why he was here? Was someone sharing the pain Krycek had given Mulder? Was this the lone opportunity he would have to get away with the murder of Alex Krycek? Mulder's head was swarming with thoughts of revenge, thoughts of taking this man over and over to a cold grave. This man who knew about Samantha and did nothing, who probably killed her himself. A cold grave was where Mulder knew Krycek truly belonged. Krycek, his partner, traitor, tormentor, and soon to be victim, was shaking the tall man's hand and thanking him.

Mulder knew he had to get on that boat before Krycek slipped through his fingers once more. The three other men got in the truck and sped off. Mulder saw two lights being lit on board. The figure, he was now certain was the man he hated more than anyone else in the world, went below deck.

Mulder took bounds across the open area and reached the large boat in a flash. Once on board he tiptoed to a large cluster of smaller crates. He knew this couldn't hold up as a long-term hideout, but he could perhaps get below deck from here when Krycek wasn't looking. Mulder heard footsteps and quickly ducked behind. Now he was almost certain. He could even recognize this man from behind. Krycek even had a characteristic way of walking that Mulder had noticed long before his more recent encounters; the man before him had this walk.

Krycek walked off the ship and down the dock. Mulder didn't waste a second; he disappeared below deck and moved into the farthest, darkest corner. He began to regulate his currently loud breathing. A peculiar smell filled the storage area, and though he couldn't place it, he realized it reminded him of a completely sterile and unused hospital. Perhaps the crates were filled with medicines common in hospitals. He didn't want to think about that right then. His eyes began to adjust to the light revealing the crates on the opposite side. Mulder moved silently to the end crate and hid between it and the wall. He could hear footsteps over head and then on the stairs. He could see, through a tiny slit, a right shoulder. A cooler was set in the middle of the room, on top of that a briefcase and a gym-bag. Krycek then lit a cigarette and took two steps back. Mulder could see Krycek's eyes in the glow of the cigarette. Krycek took a drag and mumbled something under his breath. To Mulder it sounded like,

"Why am I here...doing this? ...ha." With that he went back up leaving Mulder in the dark below.

Mulder sat cautiously hidden in his tight space for hours, dozing in and out of sleep. He knew it was at the earliest after twelve. Mulder slept a good hour and dreamt he woke in the same dark corner. He was bound with his own handcuffs and gagged with a small cloth and rope. He felt his own gun against his forehead, and momentarily thought his enemy had found him. He began to curse himself for being so tired, and for allowing himself to sleep. The dream continued giving him more and more guilt and still he could see no one. He felt the bonds and gun and could only shiver. Mulder awoke in a sweat. Relieved but still shaken from the thought of being found. He sat still for several minutes.

Mulder then stood. Once he was sure he was alone, he quietly walked over to the cooler. The briefcase had maps and coordinates inside. The gym bag was filled with clothing and food; three sandwiches, an apple and some cheese. He began to wonder what was in the cooler. He lifted the lid.

Once again he lost his breath. His arms locked as he saw a very complex set of explosives. There was an inactivated timer near the top. Mulder felt the boat stop moving. He quickly woke from his panic, and put everything back the way he remembered it. He then dodged back behind the end crate. He stood as silent as he could be. He noticed his hurrying or the boats abrupt stop had roused a small bird sleeping on a crate. He was reassured this bird would distract his observant enemy.

Krycek came from above. He took the briefcase and bag back upstairs with him.

Mulder went across the room and hid under the stairs. Krycek came back down moving directly for the cooler. With the push of three buttons the bomb was activated. The small bird, shaken by the beeping of the bomb, flew from the top of a crate and passed Krycek. He pulled a gun, and fired up the stairs after it.

"Damn bird." Krycek sounded calm again and turned back to the cooler.

Mulder came out, gun locked between Krycek's eyes. Krycek raised his gun to meet Mulder.

"Mulder. What the fu...why are you here?" Both men stood locked on each other.

"I'd like to ask you that." Mulder quickly moved his gun to face the cooler.

"Now what are you going to do Mulder? Shoot?"

"Drop it you bastard, If you don't you'll die." Mulder stared, waiting for his response. He knew he was going to kill Krycek anyway, and he wouldn't really shoot the cooler. If he could convince Krycek he'd gone too far with his quest for revenge, he could disarm him. Krycek's eyes widened.

"You're crazy, we'll both die."

"As long as you do!" Mulder was yelling now. His rage boiling at the mere thought of Krycek about to die. Krycek realized Mulder might not be stable enough to think this through and that he just might shoot the cooler.

"WAIT! Okay. I'm putting down my gun...Mulder?" Krycek bent and set the gun down. He slowly stood placing his hands on his head. Mulder advanced and ordered Krycek above deck. They both walked up. Krycek ran left as he reached the top. When Mulder turned the corner at the top of the stairs he saw Krycek's other gun pointed at his head.

"Drop it Fox!" Krycek had him locked and vulnerable.

"No." Mulder wanted to shoot. He felt his finger tighten.

Krycek had an easy shot. They had both been trained on this kind of situation, Mulder knew as well as Krycek that he was the vulnerable one. Mulder had far less a chance of a successful hit. Krycek stepped even closer making it impossible for Mulder to get a good shot. "...Ahhhh!!!" Mulder released the gun. Krycek grabbed it immediately, throwing the second gun off deck.

"You can go now."

"What?" Mulder launched forward with the question. He stopped staring into the barrel of his enemy's gun. Krycek just smiled. Mulder repeated in his head, "No. no. no." He thought the worst, and the gun didn't move. Krycek began to laugh.

"Start swimming," he said, still laughing in his own amusement. Krycek advanced forcing Mulder to back up. Mulder began to raise another question, but before he could speak a tight fist fell slamming across his face. Mulder saw black close in on him as he passed out.

xx

When Mulder came to, he felt the vibration of an engine running underneath him. Krycek was steering a smaller craft, quite a ways from the boat. With all his strength, Mulder launched at his occupied enemy, knocking him over. Once on top he began to pound down on Krycek, one punch dead center, then two from the right. "I'll kill you, you goddamn murderer!" Mulder yelled as loudly and powerfully as he could. The fight continued when Krycek threw Mulder off and kicked him in the stomach.

"Stop you stupid son of a bitch!" Krycek slapped Mulder with the back of his hand. Mulder could see the handle of a gun in Krycek's waistline. He immediately drew it out, as Krycek punched again. Mulder began to tip back and grabbing on to Krycek's jacket. Both men fell into the salty water.

Krycek began to swim after the speeding craft, but Mulder pulled him back under. When both men resurfaced they were feet apart. A huge blast a mile or so away caught both of their attentions. The large boat was disappearing underwater. Mulder began to panic. He realized they were stranded. I'm going to die. Krycek will die with me. What satisfaction will I get from that? Mulder began to realize the only satisfaction he would get, was if he killed Krycek first.

"Mulder!" Krycek was calling out frantically. The water calmed a bit. Mulder, still clutching the gun, was struggling to stay above water. He raised the gun directly at Krycek. Krycek felt terror flush over him as he saw Mulder's cold and empty eyes tearing him apart. The bullet left the gun before either man could even blink again. "Ahhhhhhhhhhgggggggg!!!" Krycek's scream couldn't match the pain he felt as the salty water entered his fresh wound. The bullet went straight into his upper left shoulder.

Mulder knew the bullet hit Krycek and felt the satisfaction that he was, in his current panic, looking for. He was barely keeping his head above the water. He slowly sank into what he thought was the last of his cold wet future. As his life flashed before his eyes Mulder knew he should have been more honest with Scully all this time. He knew she would never condole this. He knew he had committed a murder and suicide and that she wouldn't forgive him. Then all Special Agent Fox Mulder could see was blackness.

xx

Mulder's eyes slowly opened. It took him several minutes to realize he was alive. He found he was lying on a cold wood floor. He moved cautiously, as he was made aware of his body's extensive aching. His head began to throb as he moved, his vision blackened then stabilized when he sat upright. He was then able to explore his surroundings. He seemed to be in a small cabin. It was made of a pale wood. There was a stone fireplace on the wall to his left, which was the only wall made of stone and concrete. The door was directly in front of him. To his right there was a small table with a first aid kit, a sleeping bag and a square box on it. There was also enough firewood, Mulder thought, to keep a fire alive for weeks. Some of it was seasoned, but most looked too new to burn.

Mulder soon realized he was in jeans and no shirt. His wounds had been tended to. He had a large bandage on his lower left arm. His three central fingers on the same arm were taped together. He also had a head bandage near his right temple. There was a slight smell of alcohol in the air, stronger near his smaller cuts and arm. He realized he must have been cleaned with it. Mulder couldn't remember hurting his arm or fingers. Perhaps it happened when he fell in the water. He remembered getting the head injury though. He had hit his head running up the stairs after Krycek.

"Krycek?!" Mulder let the name out louder than he wanted. For a moment he thought someone else must have found him. Krycek drowned. Then he noticed the pile of wet clothes under the table. Some were his; some were Krycek's. He held his breath a moment before standing. Whether to gain more balance or in fear Krycek had heard him, he wasn't sure.

Mulder stood and noticed the clean jeans he was wearing weren't his. They were a little tight, but still fit. He walked up to the table. Inside the box he found two large bottles of vodka, four bottles of water and some various types of canned food. As his head cleared more Mulder could hear a faint lapping sound outside. He was on a beach. He picked up his wet shirt in hopes of salvaging it, only to find it completely torn.

The light outside blinded him momentarily as he opened the door. When he refocused he saw Krycek about fifty feet away wading through the water. He stopped. Mulder began to walk toward the other. A moment later Krycek advanced as well. The two stopped about five feet apart.

"Stop right there Mulder." Krycek raised the spear he had been fishing with, in a manner that seemed to warn and threaten at once.

"You cure me to kill me?"

"I don't want to kill you, I saved your life...I don't want to die at your hands." There was no emotion in Krycek's voice. Mulder was disturbed by the strange expression on the other's face. Krycek had a large, slightly bloody bandage on his shoulder. "If I lower my spear will you behave?"

"What's your game Krycek?" Mulder couldn't hide the anger from his voice. "I suggest you go for a walk, Mulder." Their eyes were locked. "It gets cold when the sun sets, keep that in mind." Krycek reached behind him and pulled out the gun that had been tucked in his waistline. He looked heavily at Mulder. Krycek raised the gun toward Mulder's head. "I'm your only way off this island. You can't kill me." Krycek lowered the gun as he said this then dropped it to his feet. "Take it if you don't trust me, but I'll warn you, you better be a good shot...there's only three rounds in that one," Krycek smiled quickly then shoved past him and walked to the cabin without looking back.

Mulder was left completely unsatisfied. Why was Krycek acting this way? Why had his life been saved? He had hundreds of questions; not one had been answered. He bent and picked up the gun. There were only three bullets left.

Mulder walked down the beach, turning back after only five minutes. When he reached the cabin there was movement inside. He had the gun tight in his hand almost cradling it. The door hadn't been closed all the way. Mulder could see a crouched figure tending to an unlit fire. Match after match was lit, each going out without spreading flame to the logs in the fireplace.

"Come on!" The sudden emotion in Krycek's voice startled Mulder. Krycek was barely more than whispering. "Damn it!" Two more matches were lit. "Fuck." Mulder stood still. Then he saw something he knew he probably would never see again. Krycek gave up on the matches and began to cry. He fell from his crouched position to the floor and his brief sobs stopped almost before they had begun. Krycek's breath was deep and slow as if he was trying to calm someone besides himself. He picked up the matchbox and began to strike them again.

xx

Mulder left the cabin for a couple hours before he saw the sun disappear from the ocean horizon. He still was stunned every time he saw a sunset; it was no different this time. Accept that perhaps this time he consciously realized it. Using the purple and orange light left by the sunset, Mulder absently found his way back down the beach.

There was a warm glow coming from the cabin when Mulder got there. He laughed slightly at Krycek's success in lighting a fire. Then he remembered the gun. Looking at the cold silver weapon Mulder promised himself if he couldn't kill Krycek now, he'd do it as soon as he was sure of his own safety. Placing the gun in the waist of his pants he walked away from the shore and toward the cabin.

The door opened as he neared it. Krycek saw him and stepped back into the cabin. Mulder hesitated on entering. The scent of cooked fish was coming from the opening. He took a deep breath and walked through the door. Krycek gestured to the untouched plate by the fire. He was sitting opposite the door now, the first aid kit was balanced on one of his knees. Mulder went to the plate and took it with him back outside. He made sure not to even glance back at Krycek. He sat right out side the cabin and finished the fish with no trouble. The thought that Krycek could have drugged the fish to poison him crossed his mind. He dismissed the thought when he remembered how short they were on supplies, and that he hadn't been expected on Krycek's trip anyway.

Mulder replayed his last conversation with Scully in his head. He realized he hadn't mentioned much of what was going on to her. Then the thought of his almost non-phasing self-sacrifice in the water made him sick. He had given into his anger to a degree he, in every other case, was able to avoid. He knew he had an irrational need to erase Krycek from his life completely. He couldn't however control the need enough to focus. How could he have been so convinced giving his life was worth taking Krycek's? Every time he saw Krycek an unexplainable fire ran through him. The closest feeling to this fire that he'd felt was rage. He knew now he could never let that rage control him again. It wasn't the thought of Scully alone that cleared his mind. Mulder had been too needy, too urgent to get his revenge. He would have to play along with whatever games Krycek was planning. He also knew he would have trouble doing this, but looking at his options he had no choice.

xx

Mulder didn't want to go inside, but it was getting very cold and staying outside seemed to accomplish nothing. He went back into the cabin. Krycek was still sitting where he had been, with a new bandage on his shoulder. Mulder sat against the wall far enough away from the fire to feel safe, but not let his fear become aware to Krycek. They sat there a long time. Mulder could tell Krycek was looking at him. He forced himself to keep his own eyes away.

"I told you before, I didn't kill 'em." Krycek's voice was low and steady.

Mulder sat frozen for a moment and without turning cried out, "Fuck you, I know you did it! She was the only reason... she was everything." Then he turned to see Krycek staring at the ground in front of him.

"I've done nothing for pleasure, nothing for personal gain."

"Son of a bitch." Mulder spoke deeply and furiously. For once his voice was steady and sure. Krycek was terrified.

Krycek raised his head to see Mulder again. Mulder had been waiting for this; he jumped at Krycek with all his strength. Mulder swung three punches all landing hard on Krycek. The two of them slid across the floor. Mulder slammed Krycek's shoulders down.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Krycek's bullet wound throbbed with a pain that surpassed what the original shot had caused. Tears began to streak from his eyes. Krycek rolled on top of Mulder, punching him square in the mouth, then the nose. "Stop!" Krycek yelled climbing to his feet. Mulder followed and leaped toward him. Mulder punched him on the right side of his jaw.

Krycek stumbled two feet back, wiping his tears away. He spoke calm and steady, "Go on! Hit me again."

Mulder did. Krycek stood his ground this time. Krycek yelled loudly and gestured to his face with his hands. "Hit me again!" He tasted the blood running from his nose and lips into his mouth. Mulder's punch sent Krycek flying to the ground.

"Again, hit me again," Krycek said this from the ground, trying to stand. "Hit me if you must, Mulder." Mulder froze once more, he felt his heart sink. Then looking back at Krycek he threw another punch. Again his ex-partner fell on his back.

"Well? Hit me again...Fox." Krycek didn't even try to stand this time.

"Noooooo!" Although Mulder didn't yell this it was forceful and most definitely meant. Mulder turned away and swung his right hand. His fist smashed against the wall leaving a trail of blood. He stood there holding his bloody hand in the other for a couple minutes. When Mulder finally turned back around Krycek was right in front of him.

"Hit me again," Krycek spoke low and softly.

"No." Mulder didn't move, his voice matching Krycek's.

Krycek walked to Mulder and leaning in, licked up the blood that had been running down Mulder's chin. Krycek grinned.

"You're one sick bastard, Krycek." Mulder couldn't move, but spoke clear and sure.

Krycek turned away and walked slowly around the table.

"You can still hit me if you want," Krycek said through raised lips, pausing a moment to see Mulder's response. He quickly returned to his task at hand. He was cleaning the blood from all over his face with a piece of torn shirt. Mulder remained frozen for more than the time it took Krycek to clean himself.

Mulder neglected to pick up the cloth Krycek threw to his feet.

"Stay a mess then, you've got blood all over."

"I'll thank you for that."

"Not my fault I know how to punch, Mulder. It's in the shoulder."

Krycek walked around the table and picked up the cloth. He offered it to Mulder.

"I have a secret."

"What?" Mulder said this quickly and arrogantly.

"I know you get off on hitting me." Krycek walked briskly up to Mulder and lightly cupped the still man. He smiled because Mulder was quite firm. Mulder sprang into action without a thought. He sent a fist that impacted against Krycek's face with a force that sent him directly to the floor. Krycek began to laugh from the ground.

"Sorry... Tell me I'm wrong," Krycek got out through laughter.

"You're wrong," Mulder said this as soon as Krycek had finished speaking.

"You lie you know... doesn't matter." Krycek picked up the wet piece of shirt and threw it to Mulder. He then picked up another and finished cleaning his own face. "You hit me every chance you get," Krycek paused as if in deep thought.

"I can't hurt you enough for what you've done," Mulder said this as soon as Krycek had finished cleaning himself.

"You are so wrong...doesn't matter. I've suffered more than you'll ever be able to understand, more than I understand. I accept your wanting to hurt me. I had no choice."

"You haven't suffered what you deserve."

"Yeah? I don't think you know what you're talking about. If you want off this island, you'll listen to me from now on." He looked up at Mulder.

"Why did you save me Krycek?" Mulder asked cautiously. "You could have let me drown."

"You... your research is important Mulder. I will kill you if I'm further threatened, but I don't want you dead."

"I am going to kill you."

"For both our sake I hope not, Mulder." Krycek looked up at him with a cool, serious expression. "I'm leaving in the morning by helicopter. I'll be back the next day to get you." Krycek gestured to the firewood and box. "You should be fine for the next couple days."

"What? No, I'm going with you."

"Mulder... the people I'm working with will kill you, or both of us. They think I'm alone. Your gonna have to trust me." They stared at each other for a moment. "If I wanted you dead, I'd have killed you already." Krycek waited for Mulder to speak.

"Why should I trust you at all?"

"Doesn't matter, you're gonna have to, Fox."

"Don't call me that."

Krycek shrugged and pulled out the first aid kit. "I need to change your bandages." Krycek moved back over to Mulder and took off the arm bandage without an answer. "I saved your life, I just ask that you spare mine, at least for now... okay?"

Mulder looked at Krycek puzzled. "Why are you doing any of this? You know I'm going to kill you."

"Maybe I think you'll come to your senses. Anyway, you can't right now, and everyone is trying to kill me, Mulder. I spare you because you believe enough to find the truth. Believe me the truth will put away the others after me." Krycek took out a new bandage. "I saved your life in return for mine, but I think getting you off the island deserves another favor." Krycek began to tape the new bandage down. "If you don't, I can always leave you here. If you do me this favor, I'll get you off the island, and help you gain valuable information. Believe me...I have plenty," Krycek finished "Does it hurt?"

Mulder gave a dry smirk. "Your shoulder?"

Krycek stood without responding and took out the vodka. "Not as much as my face." He took four large gulps of the vodka before offering any to Mulder. Mulder took the bottle and drank half as much as Krycek.

"So what do you want from me Krycek, I could just use the gun to get out of here you know?"

"No. You kill me you die here. You trust me...I come back and get you. You try to use the helicopter to get out of here, they'll kill you. You're stuck here without my willing help," Krycek smiled again. He walked to the woodpile and took one large log. Mulder sat on the floor silent and in deep thought. Krycek placed the wood on the fire.

"Mulder?" Krycek was standing over him.

Mulder stood and backed against the wall to put space between them. "What are you trying to pull off here? I'm not just going to forgive you. Things don't change when we're out of here."

"I know. At least I know you'll try to kill me. That's not now though." Krycek leaned in placing a hand on either side of Mulder. "You do need me. We need each other's help. I will die. You will die. Have I got your attention?"

"What!?" Mulder slid sideways to get away, but Krycek's arms held him still. Mulder's back was pressed firmly against the wall. "What are you doing Krycek?"

Krycek released Mulder and stepped back. "You never will trust me again, will you?" He launched forward and kissed Mulder full on the lips, rough and brief.

Mulder just stared at him, eyes filled with hatred and confusion, face completely blank.

Krycek took the sleeping bag from the table and threw it at him. "Take it, Mulder... I'll sleep by the fire." Krycek turned away and lay close to the fire on the ground. Mulder took several large gulps of vodka. He lay down the bag and stretched out on it.

xx

After a few minutes he had his eyes closed and was a little more relaxed than he had been. The fire's warmth reached him only on his left side. He hated the idea of sleeping, vulnerably, next to Krycek. The only reasons Mulder could think of for Krycek's, all too sudden, change in heart were simple. Krycek either was telling the truth or this was all prolonging his own death. Krycek was a disturbed man. Mulder wondered if he was doing this just for company or maybe amusement. Was Krycek's plan to kill Mulder when he left? One thing was certain: Mulder was going to play things safe. I can't let myself fall for Krycek's stories this time. He knew Krycek was involved in something fairly big. Krycek had been careful not to mention the ship, or the explosion. Mulder hadn't brought it up on purpose. When he knew Krycek was off guard, he would.

Footsteps and the sound of another log being put on the fire distracted Mulder. The pale glow coming from the windows had faded to blackness. Krycek sat back down by the fireplace.

Whether Krycek was aware Mulder was still awake or not, he did not show it. After a while, Mulder risked a quick glance toward him. Krycek was starring directly at him. Mulder quickly turned his head away.

He heard a quiet chuckle from Krycek's direction.

"Stop looking at me."

Krycek cleared his throat, "Why?"

Mulder rolled over to face him. He raised his head up with an elbow. "Why?"

"Yes, why?" Krycek shifted slightly. His wide-eyed alertness deeply irritated Mulder.

"Because... I... I don't want you looking at me. That's reason enough!"

"Sure." Krycek turned to the fire, still smiling.

"Thanks."

"Sure."

xx

Mulder slept. He dreamt he was back at the Bureau. Scully was very glad to see him. He was called into Skinner's office to explain himself. Once inside, Skinner began to tell him he better have a damn good lawyer. Mulder was being called a killer. A goddamned cold-blooded murderer. A large group of military clad men stormed in, throwing him onto the ground. Mulder was kicking violently. Four of the men began to carry him out of the office and down the hall.

Scully was ahead of them. She called out, "Stop this!" The men set him down.

"Scully, tell them I didn't do this."

"Mulder... You have the right to remain silent. If you choose..." She took his gun as she spoke.

"No, Scully. You can't do this... I'm the good guy!"

"Shut up!"

xx

"What?"

"Wake up."

Mulder's eyes shot open. His breath came short. Sweat beaded down his face and chest. He looked toward the fire. Nothing. He turned quickly to see Krycek sitting at his side. Starring down at him. Krycek's eyes showed deep concern.

"What?" Mulder asked.

"I said, wake up. You were having a nightmare."

"I'm fine."

"Do you feel feverish?" Krycek began to reach toward Mulder's head.

Mulder rolled his head to one side. "I told you..."

"You're fine, I know."

Mulder closed his eyes. Slowly he sat up. He looked around the room, then back at Krycek. "Your bandage..."

Krycek looked down at his shoulder. The bandage had soaked through. A thin line of blood was trailing down his arm. "Shit."

Krycek stood. He crossed the cabin and retrieved the first aid kit. "How are your fingers?"

"I don't think they're broken... why?"

Krycek let out a deep sigh. He sat down at the foot of the sleeping bag. He began to peel off the soaked bandage. "Damn. Mulder, can you get me the vodka?"

Mulder didn't move.

"Please?"

Mulder stood and got the vodka.

"Can you open it?" Krycek was preparing a new bandage. "I have to say Mulder, that bullet was a bitch to dig out."

Mulder handed him the open bottle of vodka. Krycek drank a large amount. He shook his head briefly then poured some on the bullet wound. "Ah, fuck." As Krycek finished dressing his wound, Mulder finished the last five swigs from the bottle.

"So." Krycek took the empty bottle from him. "How did you find me?"

Mulder looked at him blankly.

"How did you find me...the boat? Why are you here?"

"Why are you here?"

"No. Answer me."

Mulder waited a minute before answering. "I was given a note that told me where to be, that's all. I don't know who it was from." Mulder slid back against the wall. "Do you have any idea who would want to use me to kill you?" Mulder slowed, starring at him in realization.

"Yeah, many ideas. Too many ideas. Do you still want to kill me?"

Mulder continued to stare.

"You don't have to answer." Krycek stood. "I'll try to come back and get you tomorrow around this time. I leave in the afternoon."

"What time is it?"

Krycek crossed to the door, peering out the tiny slit. "The sun set about seven. I'd say it's eleven, might be close to twelve."

Mulder nodded. "Are you going to tell me what was on that boat? Why you're here?"

At this, Krycek turned. "Eventually, Mulder. You must have patience, if you expect answers. I don't yet know how valuable that information is to you." Krycek was grinning again.

"You can't fucking use me. I won't let that happen."

"Mulder, did I say that?" Krycek walked back over to where Mulder sat. "I merely said we were going to have an even trade." From his current height, Mulder's face looked slightly bruised. Mulder's nose had bled freely. He was certain Mulder's lip had been split more than once.

He himself had been punched many times more than Mulder. As Mulder looked up at him he imagined what he looked like. He could feel his black eye. The skin surrounding his mouth had been opened in slits and abrasions. A large cut had opened on his cheekbone.

"What information could you want from me?"

"What information? Hmm... I can't think of any."

Krycek stared intently down at Mulder. "Well?" Mulder asked.

Krycek crouched down next to Mulder. A long moment passed.

xx

Mulder tried to wipe his face of all emotion, especially the uneasy fear that was creeping into him. Krycek moved his lips as if he wanted to say something.

Mulder watched Krycek reach past him and under the edge of the sleeping bag. The gun. Shit! He saw the metal between Krycek's fingers as the man began to lean away. Mulder couldn't get his body to react. He honestly couldn't move.

"Mulder?" Krycek stood slowly. "Do you trust me?"

"No." Mulder's voice choked on the single word.

"How can you be so... Not at all?"

Mulder looked up at the towering man. His skin looked moist in the light of the fire. His wounded shoulder was slightly hunched forward. After Mulder didn't speak Krycek cracked his neck and asked how Mulder could trust him to get off the island.

"I—" Mulder stared at him questioningly. He turned his gaze back toward the ground. "I do trust you," Mulder whispered.

"It's a start." Krycek squatted down next to him again. "Thank you. Do you know why I haven't killed you?"

Mulder shook his head.

Krycek fiddled with the gun. He released the clip and examined the two bullets. "I haven't because...I won't. You believe these terrible things, Mulder." Krycek slid the clip back into the gun. "I realized, today, I need to prove that I didn't do them. You're so stubborn in your beliefs."

Mulder raised an eyebrow at him. "Why haven't you killed me, Krycek? Really."

"I can't prove my innocence to a dead man."

Mulder laughed then; a deep hearty laugh. "You should have said so!"

"I'm trying here, Mulder. Give me a chance."

Mulder stopped laughing. He took a deep breath and asked why Krycek wanted to be on good terms with him.

"We can help each other in so many ways. Don't you see that?"

"I don't want your help." Mulder saw Krycek's face tighten at his statement. "I have no desire to help you, either."

Krycek nodded and stood again. He walked to the wall just past Mulder's sleeping bag. Krycek casually leaned against the wall there. "Don't deny yourself assistance over a misunderstood grudge."

"Grudge? Ha! Unbelievable." Mulder thought a moment. "I'll give you the chance to prove yourself."

"And I'll give you my word. I can disclose what really happened."

"You word isn't worth shit! If you don't have proof, you have nothing."

Krycek straightened himself flat against the wall. "Then, I look forward to working with you."

"Are you that sure of yourself?"

"Yeah. You were right about one thing. I know what happened to Samantha. I wasn't involved directly, but I know what was done."

Mulder's eyes widened. "You... Tell me. Krycek? I need to know."

Krycek nodded. "Now is not the time."

Mulder's eyebrows nearly touched. At first he looked angry, then he looked anxious.

Krycek gestured to his shoulder. "You shot me, beat the shit out of me, you've been almost impossible and haven't done a thing for me!" Krycek stepped away from the wall. "Why should I tell you now? You owe me, Mulder. Not the other way around."

Mulder bit his bottom lip and winced. "What...what can I do? What do you want?"

Krycek looked him over with scrutinizing concentration. He nodded twice then said, "I-I don't know yet. I..." He closed his eyes.

"Krycek." Mulder waited for Krycek to look at him. "I'm sorry for what I did today. I'm ready to believe you." Krycek nodded to him. "Just tell me what I can do to help you."

Krycek looked him over again. "Take off your pants."

"Excuse me?"

"Take them off." Krycek nudged Mulder's leg with his toe.

"W-why? Krycek, I don't think that'll make things..."

Krycek raised the gun and aimed it at Mulder. He looked at the gun and then at Mulder. "Do it."

Mulder sat up right. He stared at Krycek until he was certain nothing else would be said. Mulder's body tightened defensively. "Okay."

He reached down and unzipped the jeans. He swiftly slid them to his ankles and pulled each leg out of the pants. He glanced up at Krycek, who was watching him intently.

Krycek gestured with the gun for him to stand. He cautiously stood and held his breath. Krycek didn't look at him but crossed the room to the table and retrieved a bottle of water. "Drink." He tossed it to Mulder.

Mulder downed half the bottle and handed it to Krycek. "Why do..."

"Quiet. Relax, I have no intentions of revenge. Lie down," Krycek said.

Mulder didn't move.

"Please. I won't hurt you."

"Then why the gun?"

Krycek looked at the gun and shrugged. He set it on the table and returned to Mulder's side. "Better?"

Mulder lay down without responding. He hated feeling vulnerable. Being naked and being ordered around by a clothed man who had every reason to kick his ass made him feel very vulnerable. "Krycek?"

"Do you, or do you not trust me?"

Mulder let his thoughts reassess the situation. He would go along with Krycek. He trusted Krycek not to hurt him. His only concerns were about what may have been starting. Being order to strip was not what he'd been expecting.

Mulder noticed that Krycek was waiting for an answer. "I do. I trust you enough."

"Do you? I need to know, Mulder." Krycek sunk to his knees. "It's important that you tell the truth about this."

"I trust you."

Krycek raised an eyebrow.

Now Mulder was getting frustrated. "I trust you," he repeated.

"Good. You have no reason not to."

xx

"What do you want?" Mulder's hands were crossed on his lower stomach. He looked as if he were trying to hide his nakedness.

Krycek reached down and took his hand. He placed it to one side of Mulder. "I want you to lay here and relax and..." Krycek trailed off.

"And what, what's going on, Krycek." Mulder sounded calm and yet his voice came urgently.

"And I want you to be honest with me."

Mulder shifted. He remained still and silent after that.

Krycek smiled. "You're uncomfortable aren't you?"

Mulder nodded.

"Are you okay?"

"I don't know yet." Mulder deliberately stared him down. "I don't know your motive here yet."

Krycek nodded. He placed his hand carefully on the center of Mulder's chest. "Look at my face. Was what I said earlier true?"

The different facial expressions Mulder went through after that were many. They ended in what looked like realization, but he didn't answer.

Krycek ran his hand up Mulder's chest until he reached the base of his neck. He gently squeezed and released. "Being in control? Beating me all but unconscious. Look at my face," Krycek repeated.

Mulder stared blankly at him.

"Look at my arm, my eye." Krycek changed the tone of his voice. "You never thought about it? Why it makes you so happy?"

"No. I've not thought about it at all," Mulder replied.

Krycek let his hand drift slowly back down Mulder's chest. "I want you to think about it. Think about how my skin feels, how my hand feels in a gentle caress."

Mulder swallowed hard.

"I want you to imagine how hard it makes you when I yelp. How it feels when you make me groan for you." Krycek's hand reached his waist and traveled down Mulder's thigh. He looked down at his hands path. "I want you to realize how bad it makes you feel when our fights don't get you anything."

"What? Krycek?"

"Quiet, Mulder." Krycek look up at him. "I want to know, Mulder. Do you understand why yet? Do you know why you've become hard as we speak?" Krycek's hand stopped moving less than an inch away from Mulder's firm cock.

"I know that you're trying hard to manipulate me. I know that you're groping me."

Krycek laughed. He closed his hand around Mulder's cock and began stroking in short tight slides. "If that's all you think it is." He watched Mulder close his eyes tightly and clench his jaw shut. "If that's what you honestly believe." Krycek leaned in to whisper in his ear, "If that's it, then all you have to do is tell me to stop."

Mulder opened his eyes. They were only a few inches a part. Mulder looked like he was light years away. An indistinct groan came from Mulder. Krycek continued his tiny strokes, his hand still clenched tightly around Mulder's seeping shaft.

"Are you going to tell me I'm wrong, again? Are you going to say stop?"

Mulder's breath shortened to match the strokes. He kept his face taught, his jaw clenched.

"Mulder?"

Still no answer. After another moment Krycek let go and stood. Mulder's eyes flew open as he did. Mulder only gazed up at him, completely lost. Krycek stood absolutely composed, waiting.

"I..." Mulder paused. "I wasn't going to say stop."

Krycek remained as he was.

Mulder rose to his knees. "What do you want, Krycek? You need to tell me."

"I don't need to tell you."

Mulder interrupted, "I want you to. I want to know what you want." Mulder reached up and took Krycek's hand, pulling him closer. Then he began to unzip Krycek's jeans.

"What do you think you're doing, Mulder?"

"I'm answering your last few questions." Mulder peeled the jeans down to Krycek's ankles before he could protest again. His warm full cock sprung free, reaching toward Mulder. "It looks as if you like getting hit... Maybe just as much."

Krycek slapped the hand that was reaching for him. "Lay back down Mulder," He ordered.

After hesitating, Mulder lowered himself. Krycek knelt down again and placed a hand on either side of Mulder's head. He sunk down and took Mulder into a deep and powerful kiss.

When he pulled back, Mulder's hand traced over his shoulder and down his back. "Please let me." Mulder sat up and pushed Krycek onto the ground. "Please."

Krycek nodded and shrugged. "What the hell." Krycek grabbed Mulder's shoulder. He warned him, "You'd better be nice."

Mulder took hold of Krycek's balls and began playing with them. He saw Krycek's muscles tighten and then relax. Mulder began working his own cock with the other. After a minute of this, Mulder's hand moved up to Krycek's twitching rod. Taking hold of it, he moved in long and full strokes.

Krycek sat up and placed his hand on Mulder's stopping it. "No. Lay down."

Mulder asked why, but after not receiving an answer he laid down, yet again. Krycek knelt and settled between Mulder's legs. He lowered himself and took Mulder deep into his mouth.

A muffled gasp escaped Mulder. Krycek looked up and saw Mulder's arm draped over his face, blocking his mouth. Krycek licked hungrily around Mulder. He took the entire shaft in, deep throating the best he could and sucked hard. He released the cock and repeated this many times. Mulder began to whimper and Krycek stopped.

After Mulder regained control of his breathing he begged, "Fuck me."

"No."

At this, Mulder propped himself up on his elbows. "That's not what you wanted?"

Krycek shook his head. "And I know it's not what you want."

Mulder looked away. He hesitated before agreeing. "No, it's not."

"I want you to tell me the truth."

Mulder fell back onto the sleeping bag. "About?"

"This. Is this any good for you?"

Mulder answered right way, "I don't know."

"Does it feel wrong?"

He watched Mulder wrap his arms around himself. Mulder looked like he was arguing with himself. His face contorted and relaxed a few times. His hands nervously squeezing his shoulders.

He jumped back to reality when he felt Krycek's hand close around him again.

"It doesn't feel wrong, Krycek. I don't know how it feels."

"Good?"

Mulder's thoughts were defeated by that simple truth. "Yeah," He nodded.

Krycek lunged forward and kissed him passionately again. He lingered in the kiss this time, filling it with meaning. "Then," Krycek began, a little short of breath. "Then let me go down on you."

"You want to?" Mulder asked.

Krycek nodded and began to smile. "I'll even let you hit me afterwards."

Mulder smiled briefly at that. Krycek lowered himself and began to devour Mulder's eager cock. He licked and teased and used both his hand and his mouth. When Mulder neared climax he stopped to attend to his own aching need. In the end he took Mulder deep into his throat and stroked furiously at himself until they both came.

Krycek was still smiling several minutes later. Mulder looks more confused than anything else. He sat up next to Krycek and looked over at him.

"What?" Mulder asked.

"I like being right." Krycek stood and Mulder followed. He turned toward Mulder just as a tight fist slammed into his gut.

Krycek doubled over in surprise. He fell to the ground. "What the fuck!?" Krycek called out.

"You said I could hit you."

The wall stopped Mulder as he backed away from the advancing man in front of him. Krycek clenched his fist and lunged at Mulder. Instead of hitting him, Krycek planted a long kiss on his lips. He licked the reopened slit on Mulder lip gently.

Mulder stared questioningly back at him. Krycek stepped away.

"Tonight never happened," Krycek insisted.

"You want me to pretend you never..."

"I want you to forget all of this. Having it between us is suicide."

Mulder had nothing to answer that with.

"Good night."

Krycek pulled on his jeans and lay back down next to the fire. Mulder crawled into the sleeping bag and closed his eyes. After only a few minutes, Mulder's exhaustion over took him and he drifted away.

xx

Mulder woke sometime in the late afternoon. The scorching sun was peeking through tiny cracks in the cabin, most noticeably under the door. He glanced around the room. All the supplies were right where they had been the night before. The fire was silent, it had obviously gone out much earlier.

Mulder stood and realized he was still naked. He walked to the table and saw the jeans he'd been wearing folded neatly on top. Along with them sat a white cotton shirt and a small piece of paper.

The note read,
I'll be back before night fall.
I promise.
-K

Mulder read it over and set it down. He got dressed and took up a bottle of water which he emptied in record time. He was hungry. He realized it wasn't probable he'd catch any fish by spear. He rummaged through a box and found one of the cans. The can was labeled, "franks and beans." Mulder found a pocket knife at the bottom of the box and opened the can. He ate the contents cold, also in record time.

xx

He admitted regularly that he hated waiting. He spent the rest of the day walking the beach and splitting the cut logs in half. He also spent most the day trying to convince himself that the previous night hadn't happened. Krycek was right: this was the best way to handle it, but his mind kept insisting that he didn't want to forget about the best blow job of his life. It wasn't going to be easy.

When Krycek arrived, Mulder decided, he wouldn't show any signs that he remembered what happened. Krycek had the upper hand. Hell, he had the only hand. Mulder needed to know about Samantha, and Krycek knew it. Mulder couldn't help but wonder if Krycek really knew.

xx

The sun was setting when Mulder heard the distant humming of a helicopter. He waited in the door of the cabin as Krycek landed the chopper down the beach. The blades slowed but didn't stop. Krycek came running toward the cabin.

When he neared he called out to Mulder. "Lets go! Bring a couple waters!"

Mulder snatched two bottles from inside. When he came out again Krycek was waiting in the chopper for him.

The entire ride neither of them said a word. Mulder spent the trip staring out the window at the water below. They landed on the roof of an office building. Mulder followed Krycek down the stairwell fourteen floors and into a deserted lobby.

Krycek was carrying a thin briefcase he'd had in the chopper with them. He slid it under the bulletproof glass at the reception desk and nodded toward the main door. "Let's go."

Krycek's car was parked half a block away. He got in and Mulder wordlessly joined him on the passenger side. They drove south only exchanging words when Krycek announced he had to use the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at Mulder's motel.

"This where you're staying?"

Mulder nodded. "Yeah, how'd you..."

Krycek laughed briefly. "It's almost the only one around these parts. Other than the boaters lodge. I didn't figure you for a member."

Mulder got out of the car. When he realized Krycek wasn't following he walked around to his window. Krycek powered it down.

"Aren't you coming in Krycek?" He stared at Mulder, he appeared to be sizing him up in some way. Then, he shook his head. "I can't. I have to get back to DC. I'll contact you soon."

"How can I believe that?"

Krycek put the car into reverse. "You believe me Mulder." Krycek said with certainty. He reversed and then drove away before Mulder fully processed all the meanings of such a statement.

xx

Mulder got a flight back to DC the next morning. Scully met him at the airport and immediately began questioning him about the trip. Mulder explained that he stowaway on a ship and was stranded most of the time on an island off the coast. He also told her a fisherman had found him the previous afternoon. "I'll have to send him a thank you card," Mulder joked.

Scully insisted he was keeping something from her.

When Mulder entered his apartment he showered and fixed himself some coffee. Mulder listened to his messages. A lab tech he had worked with called with a follow up on a previous case, there was nothing important other than that. Mulder plopped down on the sofa and looked around for the remote controller. His eyes fixed on a small white object near the door.

Mulder stood and picked up what turned out to be a folded piece of paper. He walked into the kitchen and flicked on the light. It was Krycek's handwriting. He briefly hesitated before reading the note.

I don't know whether leaving this is a bad idea or not.
I wanted you to know, I have to leave the country for awhile.
I will tell you what you've asked me.
It'll have to wait. I'm sorry Mulder.
I will find you then.

Mulder sat down at the kitchen table. He flipped the note over and over in his hands. He truly believed that Krycek knew what had happened to his sister. Krycek probably wouldn't keep the information away from Mulder for no good reason. Mulder rationalized the facts. Krycek was just waiting for Mulder to have something he wanted in return. It figured. Mulder could wait that long. He could wait. He would have to.

The End

xx

foxandrat@hotmail.com

TITLE: Tip to Sea
AUTHOR: May-conX foxandrat@hotmail.com
RATING: NC-17 for M/M sex, violence, and bad language
SPOILERS: Krycek eps before amputation.
DISCLAIMER: Yeah, Yeah, they belong to Chris Carter and 1013... But the actions are mine!
NOTE 1: M/K. There will be a prequel, this fic is AU (see note 2)
NOTE 2: Some background for this AU. Samantha is found dead a year prior, Mulder believes Krycek is somehow involved, if not part of her killing, and is set on revenge. Scully has become more distant to Mulder after his loss of some of the passion for his work. The prequel will come when the series is finished. Can we say fight and...hmm.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]