Go to notes and disclaimers


A Second Chance
by Lady Midath


ONE

Alex Krycek sat in on an old leather couch that had seen better days. A bottle of cheap vodka sat on the scratched coffee table in front of him, nearby sat a gun.

He reached down and picked the bottle up, taking a swig, grimacing as the fiery liquid slid down his throat.

He set the bottle down and glanced over at the tiny little Christmas tree that was sitting perched on a wooden stool. The bright gold and silver tinsel wrapped around the threadbare plastic branches only served to make it look even more dismal than before when it was bare.

"Merry fucking Christmas." He muttered cocking the bottle towards it in a salute. "Season's greeting, yuletide and whatever else."

He settled back against the couch, his eyes going to the heavy looking black gun in front of him.

Another mouthful of vodka, hell to be honest, he hated the stuff, he much preferred Jim Beam, or Jack Daniels, but what the hell. He felt like vodka tonight, had to find his Russian roots somewhere after all, didn't he?

He set the half empty bottle down and leaned over to pick up the gun, weighing it in his hand, watching the light from a nearby table lamp play over the dull surface of the weapon.

He turned it over, studying it as though he had never seen a gun before, it was nothing special just a standard issue weapon, other than the fact that the serial numbers had been filed off, there it was nothing of interest about it at all.

He set it back down onto the table again, it connected with the surface of the table with a dull thump.

It was Christmas eve and here he was, all alone again, as usual. Oh well, what else was new.

Work had slackened off somewhat in the lead up to Christmas, that and the fact that he's had to go underground yet again had not helped matters. Usually he was able to keep himself busy, what with the odd assassination or two and surveillance work he could normally get through this time of year without too much trauma, but unfortunately circumstances beyond his control had seen him end up here, stuck in a dingy old apartment with a bottle of vodka, a cheap little tree and a loaded weapon.

And why not. He thought to himself, a grim smile picking at the edges of his mouth. It's not as though I have anything else to do now is it.

Well another drink and then on to business. He went to pick up the bottle...and stopped, a thought just occurred to him, he got too drunk then he would not be able to go through with his little plan, his own personal final solution so to speak.

No he was going to go through with it this time. He was going to finish what he started.

He was sick of it all, sick of everything. Sick of being on the outside looking in, seeing the warmth of humanity but never being able to share in it, only able to watch it's glow from the outside.

Slowly he picked the gun up again, and taking great care, placed it inside his mouth. He could feel the metal, cold and oily against his teeth and tongue. One squeeze of the trigger and it would be all over, everything would be over. The peace of oblivion.

He had been planning this for some time now, this was his escape, his chance to get out, get away to a place where they could never find him. All of them, Spender, the Well Manicured Man, all of those Consortium sons of bitches.

Alex shut his eyes, unaware of the tear that trickled from the corner of his eye. Taking one last deep breath, he tightened his finger against the trigger...then stopped.

Something was scratching at his window. He got to his feet, gun still in hand and walked over the window, ready to confront the soon to be sorry son of a bitch outside, whoever it was would soon realize they had decided to rob the wrong place.

With a snarl, Alex yanked back the curtain and pointed the weapon straight at...a cat.

"What the fuck?" Alex stared at the large black cat for a moment, then he reached over and opened the window.

Without hesitation, the cat leapt nimbly inside, landing squarely in Alex's arms, it's plump furry body vibrating with it's purrs.

"Well, hello there." Alex said, stroking his hand along the soft fur. "Who do you belong to I wonder."

The cat stared up at Alex, wide unblinking golden eyes regarding the human quite solemnly. Alex felt a slow grin spread across his mouth. "Well I guess I'm not going to be spending Christmas alone after all huh."

He carried the cat over to the couch and set it down. The cat promptly curled up on one of the cushions, making itself completely at home.

With a chuckle Alex sat down beside it, then realizing he still held the gun, put that back down onto the coffee table.

"So where did you come from hmmn?" He asked gently, not wanting to startle the sleek golden eyed animal.

The cat let out another loud purr, then rolled over, paws in the air, taking a lazy swipe at Alex's fingers.

Alex laughed and rubbed the cat's stomach, listening to the soft rusty noise as the cat reveled at the playful caress of the human's hand.

"You hungry kitty?" Alex asked. "I don't think that I have much here, but I might be able to scrape up something for us both, what do you say?"

The lifted itself up and pushed it's face against Alex's chin, bumping it to show complete approval of the human's plan.

"Great then, come on, hey I can even give you a tour of the place."

Alex lifted the cat up in his arms and carried it to the small kitchen. He opened the fridge and peered in. He was right, there was not much at all. Some left over Chinese from Wong's Palace, some week old pizza, beer, that was about it.

He sighed, not much here for a human being, let alone a cat, still there was that all night market down the street, it was Christmas eve but they should still be open.

He set the cat back down onto the couch and walked over to grab his jacket.

"You wait right here kitty and I'll be back with something for both of us, okay?"

The cat said nothing, just settled down against the cushions once more, golden eyes regarding the human with sleepy contentment.

Alex opened the front door and stepped out into the dingy badly lit hallway, and stuffing his hands deep into the pockets of his jacket, headed off to buy some groceries for him and his new found companion. All thoughts of suicide, forgotten.

xx

TWO

Mulder yawned as he pushed the shopping cart around the market, looking at the rows of tinned stews.

Normally he hated shopping but his cupboards were completely bare. He grabbed a couple of tins off the shelf and tossed them into the cart, then headed towards where the real food was.

Poptarts and twinkies went into the cart, followed by packets of Oreos.

He grabbed the handles of the cart and headed around the corner, and nearly ran into another cart.

With a muttered curse, Mulder looked straight up into a pair of green eyes. It was none other than Alex Krycek.

"What the..." He pulled his shopping cart back. "What the fuck are you doing here Krycek?" He snapped.

Alex's mouth quirked up as he pointed to his own shopping cart. "Same thing you are Mulder." He replied.

Mulder's eyes narrowed with suspicion as he surveyed the packets of food in Alex's own cart.

"Oh come on Mulder, even assassins need to eat once in a while." Alex snapped impatiently.

"Yeah, well." Mulder glared at the other man, then noticed something in the other cart.

"What's this?" He dived his hand hand into the bright coloured packets of food and pulled out a box of Whiskers.

"It's cat food, okay." Alex said as he grabbed the box off Mulder and placed it back into the cart.

"You must be desperate for protein." Mulder drawled, his hazel eyes regarding the other man with humour.

"Ha ha, it's not for me you idiot." Alex replied. He went to push past Mulder, when the other man spied something else in the cart. He picked up a small Christmas stocking all filled with cat toys.

"Is there something you want to tell me Alex?" He asked with a grin. Alex glared at him.

"How about just minding your own business okay?"

Mulder's grin widened. "Okay, I just never picked you as a cat person, that's all."

"It's a stray all right." Alex replied coldly. "It turned up at my window when I was about to..." He stopped, horrified at what he was just about to reveal.

"What?" Mulder asked, curious.

Alex was painfully aware of Mulder's close scrutiny now. Great, now you've just woken up the psychologist side of him. He thought angry at the clumsy slip. God how much vodka did he drink tonight?

"Nothing." Alex muttered. "Look I have to get going." He pointed towards the cat food. "I have a hungry cat to feed."

Mulder shrugged. "I prefer fish myself." He grabbed the shopping cart and carried on down the aisle, not sparing a look back at the Consortium agent.

Krycek breathed a sigh of relief, usually when he ran into Mulder he ended up nursing a black eye or a split lip. He had gotten off lightly this time, maybe because it was Christmas eve. Was it possible for Mulder to feel goodwill towards Consortium operatives?

Alex snorted, yeah that would be the day.

Quickly he finished getting what he wanted and hurried over to the checkout, wanting to get out of the supermarket and back home, to his new found companion.

xx

THREE

Alex carried the grocery bags into the apartment and set them down on the small foldaway table that he used in the kitchen.

The cat was instantly on the floor, it sinuous body winding itself around Alex's legs as he unpacked the groceries and put them away.

He then set out a plastic cat bowl and filled it with food, another bowl with milk was set down beside it.

With a loud purr, the cat tucked into the kibbles and pieces of tuna that Alex had carefully mixed in.

He smiled as he crouched down beside the sleek black animal, scratching behind the pointy ears.

"Well, what should I call you, hmmm?" he said thoughtfully. "Well considering that you are a lady cat, I think I should give you a ladylike name."

The cat continued to eat, one ear cocked towards the human, listening to the deep comforting sounds that he was making.

"How about Polly?" He asked, then shook his head. "Nah, makes you sound too much like a parrot." He thought for a moment. "Geraldine? No, Ummm, Roberta, no you're right, that's no good. Hey." He said brightening up suddenly. "I've got it, Natasha, that's a nice name, I can call you Natty for short. Do you like that?"

Another loud purr, of approval this time, she liked it very much. Alex chuckled and straightened up. He headed back into the living room. Spying the gun still sitting on the coffee table, he picked it up.

He stared down at it for a few minutes, then carried it over to his desk over near the bedroom door. He placed it in the drawer and pushed it firmly shut.

xx

FOUR

It was three days after Christmas and no one had come knocking on his door asking about their cat.

Alex figured that perhaps her owner had either died or perhaps moved away and for whatever reason, left her behind. Still it did not matter now, as far as Alex was concerned, she was his now.

And as for Natasha, she seemed in no hurry to be going anywhere. Every day, she would pad around the small dingy apartment, prowling around, or she would curl herself up in her favourite spots, mostly Alex's lap. They would sit and listen to music together, or watch television. She snuggled against her human, enjoying the warmth of his body and the soft gentle strokes of his hand. And every night, she would settle down at his feet, snuggled against the quilt, her soft purring lulling Alex to sleep.

This was fine with Alex, he was happy to stay holed up in his apartment for awhile, in fact, this was the best vacation he'd ever had. Even though it had been forced upon him. It was time that he faced the facts. He was burnt out, exhausted. Christ, just the other day he had been holding a gun in his mouth, ready to pull the trigger. The truth of it was he needed out.

These thoughts were turning over lazily in his mind as he sat on the couch watching an old movie on t.v. Natasha curled up in her favourite place on his lap, snoozing.

The trouble was, there was nowhere he could go, and of course there was the biggest problem of all, avoiding the Smoking Man and the rest of them.

There was still your final solution. An insidious little voice spoke up from somewhere inside him.

Alex's eyes traveled over to the desk, then back down to the sleeping cat. Somehow that did not seem to be a viable option anymore. Smiling, he picked Natasha up and hugged her to him, feeling happier than he had been in a long time.

xx

FIVE

Alex was sound asleep when the gunshots rang through the apartment block. Eyes flying open, he sat bolt upright and reached for the small handgun that he always kept hidden in the top drawer of the nightstand.

Grabbing it, he raced out into the darkened living room, all his senses on hyper alert now.

Gun held straight out in front of him, his eyes darted around the room, checking to see if there was any movement. More shots rang out and there were sounds of screaming and feet thudding in the hallway outside.

Alex relaxed slightly, from the sound of it, it was a domestic shooting. Probably someone found his wife in bed with the milkman or something.

Gun still clutched in his hand, he headed towards the front door, not realizing that Natasha was right behind him.

He opened the front door, carefully peering out, trying to work out where all the ruckus was coming from.

More shouts and the sounds of someone running down the hall. A half naked woman came flying around the corner, her face frozen with fear.

"Hey!" Alex called out, but she was gone. Alex cursed under his breath. He recognized the young woman, she was shacked up with the drug dealer two doors down from him. He sighed and shook his head, a drug deal gone sour more than likely, well it was none of his business, he mused as he began to close the door.

Suddenly a black streak raced past him and down the hall, fur standing straight up on end. "Oh hell." Alex swore as he watched the freaked out cat head straight for the open door that led to the stairwell, the same door that she screaming woman had fled down.

"Natty, come back here!" Alex called after her, but it was no good, panicked, Natasha bolted down the stairs.

Cursing in both Russian and English now, Alex raced into the bedroom to pull on some sweats and a pair of sneakers, then he headed out of the apartment and down the darkened stairwell in search for his cat, hearing the faint sounds of the sirens as they approached.

xx

SIX

Mulder straightened up as the homicide detective walked over to where he had been examining the body.

"Agent Mulder?" He said. Mulder nodded, then took his ID out to show the detective.

"Hi there I'm Detective Peters." He looked down at the blood covered corpse lying on the brightly coloured woven rug in front of them, then back to the dark haired FBI agent.

"We have a handle on the case now Agent Mulder." Peters said. "The guy's name is Daniel Harsfield, he's a known dealer in this neighborhood, we have a couple of witnesses that gave us statements as to what happened here. A fight broke out apparently between him and his wife and she went berserk and shot him, a couple of our guys have picked her up, we'll get a statement from her, so I guess we really don't need you here after all."

"Okay then." Mulder replied, he stuck out his hand and the detective took it in a firm grasp.

"Thanks for coming out anyway." He told Mulder, who nodded, then seeing that everything was being taken care of by the local police, turned and left the cold, ill kept apartment.

He was heading towards his car, when a sudden noise caught his attention.

Someone was creeping around the side alley of the apartment block. Mulder frowned, now who the hell could be skulking around in the dark, just after a murder had taken place.

Drawing his gun, he hurried over to where he had seen the dark clad figure moving.

"FBI, don't move!" He yelled out. The figure froze. "Okay, come out, and I want your hands where I can see them."

A tall lanky figure came out from behind several garbage cans, his hands in the air, he stepped out out onto the sidewalk, the light from a nearby street lamp falling across his face.

"Krycek?" Mulder's mouth dropped open, stunned. Then he recovered himself.

"Krycek, what the hell...?"

Alex sighed, Jesus but this night was getting steadily worse. "Take it easy, okay Mulder, I can explain what I was doing out here."

"Okay." Mulder replied, still aiming the gun straight at the assassin's chest. "You have exactly five minutes, starting...now."

"I live here." Alex replied. "You can check with the landlord okay, I have an apartment upstairs."

"All right." Mulder replied skeptically. "But that doesn't explain what you were doing playing around in the garbage cans down here though does it, unless you were taking your trash out that is."

Alex shook his head. "I was looking for my cat." He replied.

Mulder stared at the other man as though he had lost his mind. You were...what?"

"My cat Natty, she heard the shots and kind of freaked out, you know cats aren't great with loud noises and she escaped out of the apartment and took off, I've been looking for her ever since." Alex replied. "I can't find her anywhere and I'm worried about her, there are a couple of big dogs around here, not to mention lunatics and druggies with guns."

Mulder opened his mouth, ready to accuse Alex of lying, when suddenly he recalled seeing the packets of cat food and toys in the other man's shopping cart the night he had bumped into him in the supermarket. He sighed, then suddenly he put his gun back into his shoulder holster.

"Okay Alex, I'm sure that..."

"Natty." Alex supplied. "It's short for Natasha." He added with a slightly embarrassed shrug.

"Well, I'm sure that Natty is around here somewhere." Mulder replied. He looked around the darkened alleyway, hands on slender hips. "I just wonder, if you were a cat, scared from the noise of gunshots, where would you hide?"

Alex shook his head, his teeth worrying at his lower lip. "I have no idea." He replied softly. "Oh shit, where could she be?"

Mulder could hear the anguish in Alex's voice. "It's okay Alex." He replied as reassuringly as he could. "I'm sure we will find... oh shit!" He yelped as a black streak suddenly shot out from behind a large pile of Hefty bags and landed straight into Alex's arms.

"Natty!" Alex laughed with a mixture of relief and delight. "Oh Natty, where have you been, hey? I've been so worried about you." He buried his face in the cat's soft fur, listening as Natty purred with happiness that she and her human had been reunited once more.

Mulder felt a grin spread across his face as he watched the big tough assassin cuddle his kitty cat. Alex Krycek of all people. He thought with amusement. Who would have thought it possible.

Alex looked up at Mulder, his green eyes shining. "Thanks for helping me find her." He said, the sincerity clear in his suspiciously husky voice. "Thanks Mulder, I owe you one."

"Hey, I didn't do anything." Mulder replied with a shrug. "It seems she found you."

"Yeah." Alex replied with a grin. "I guess she did at that." He hugged the now calm animal close to his chest, cradling her in his arms. Then he looked up at Mulder once more.

"But thanks anyway." With that, he turned and carried the cat back towards the entrance to his apartment, Mulder watching them go. With a rueful shake of his head, he turned and headed towards his car and back to his own somewhat empty and rather lonely apartment.

xx

Part 2: Chances and Risks

ONE

Alex stood at the window, watching the sleet ticking off the fogged up glass pane. He sighed, then turned to Natty who was sitting on a sofa cushion, paws delicately curled up underneath her plump black body.

The small television babbled away in the background, televising the new year celebrations from Times Square.

Alex left his place by the window and walked over to where Natasha was sitting, blinking up at him with her inscrutable feline stare.

"Happy new year Nat." He said as he reached out to stroke the velvet soft fur. Natty meowed gently, bringing a smile to Alex's face.

"Well thank you Nat, how kind of you to attend my little new year's eve soiree." He said as he picked the large black cat up to give her a cuddle.

Natasha meowed again and bumped her head against his chin, her rough pink tongue lapping at his cheek, making him chuckle.

"How about you and I have some champagne to celebrate huh?" Alex said.

Natty purred her approval as she followed Alex into the tiny kitchen. He opened the fridge and took out a small bottle of champagne, he held it up, showing her the label.

"French champagne, not too shabby hey Nat."

Natasha opened her mouth in a delicate yawn, then stalked back to the living room and her place on the couch, curling up on the cushion once more.

Alex watched her go, then shrugged and turned the bottle around to inspect the label. "Well I don't think it's too bad." He said, then he grabbed a couple of glasses and a cork screw and carried it over to where she was still perched.

Alex opened the bottle of champagne, laughing as the cork popped. Natty sat straight up, eyes wide, a soft growl emanating from her. Alex grinned at the look of pure outrage on her face. He knew she hated any kind of loud noise at all.

"Sorry about that Natty." He told her with a grin. Natty regarded him with large golden eyes, then slowly and with great care, settled herself back down once more.

Alex poured two glasses, setting on in front of Natty, and lifting his own in a toast.

"Happy new year Nat." He said cheerfully. "Here's to us old girl."

He watched as the cat cautiously sniffed around the edges of the glass, then lapped at the bubbly sour liquid. With a shake of her head, she backed away from the glass, giving her human a cold glare, she had no idea what this fizzy stuff was, but it definitely was not milk.

Her human began to make that strange sound, the sound that made his shoulders shake and his eyes tear up. It was not coughing exactly, but the short sharp sounds were loud in the small apartment. She waited patiently until it was over and her human had recovered himself once more.

Alex wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes and reached over to pick up the glass of champagne, he carried it back to the kitchen and returned with a bowl of milk which he set down in front of her.

"That's better isn't it girl." He said softly as he watched her lap the milk with her tiny pink tongue. A loud purr confirmed her approval of this particular beverage, a vast improvement indeed.

Suddenly noise erupted and Alex glanced at the television. It was midnight and the crowds had all began to sing Auld Lang Syne, a song he had never particularly liked, it always ended up making him feel depressed.

Alex sighed and settled back against the couch to watch the happy crowds join hands and sing, their voices raised with hope and anticipation for the new year.

Natty, sensing her human's mood, climbed onto his lap and settled herself down, purring softly as she felt the warmth of his hand as he petted her.

"Well Nat, I guess it's time to make some resolutions for 2003 I guess."

Natty yawned once more, bored but very content, lazily listening to her human's voice as he spoke.

"What resolution should I make, hmmm?" Alex asked the beautiful black feline. "Maybe I should turn over a new leaf, get away, get out from under. What do you think girl?"

Natty rolled over onto her back, grabbing at Alex's hand, catching it between her paws and licking at his fingers, her tongue tickling his skin.

"Yeah, you're right Natty, we need to get out." Alex told her, his voice soft and thoughtful. "And I think I know a way to do it, but it means that I'll have to go away for a few days, set things up. But what will I do with you?"

Alex frowned, he had money put aside, funds that he had hidden away from the little schemes that he had been running on the side, before the Consortium had discovered what he had been up too.

He could recover the money and disappear, he owned an old farm that he had bought dirt cheap three years ago just in case he needed somewhere to go in case things got too hot for him here in DC. He was pretty sure that Spender and the rest of them did not know about it. He had very carefully covered his tracks when he had purchased the old run down property.

He sat, absently stroking Natty, these thoughts running through his mind, then he smiled, to think that just a few short days ago, he was about to kill himself to finally put an end to his lonely existence, and now, he was actually making plans, plans that would see him far away from here, and from Spender and the rest of them.

He felt a strange sensation, almost like butterflies rise up inside him and he chuckled. So this is what hope feels like. He thought. It's been so long, I had almost forgotten.

"I think you'll like living on a farm." He said to Natty. "Lots of mice to catch, and you'll have plenty of places where you can curl up and snooze. I could even get a cow, that way you would have an endless supply of milk and cream, and some chickens for eggs, but you are not allowed to chase them, is that clear."

Natty gave him a slow golden eyed blink. As if she would lower herself to chase mice and hens, why even the very thought was ridiculous.

Alex grinned again, then turned back to where the camera was panning across the colourful sea of people, the cheerful commentator babbling away.

But there was only one problem, he would take him several days to sort everything out, he would not be able to take Natasha with him, and he could not just leave her here by herself. He needed someone to take care of her. But who?

He frowned and chewed thoughtfully at his lower lip. There was only one person he could think of...

TWO

"Absolutely not!" Mulder said. "No way, no how. I'm sorry Alex but I can't, and that's final!"

"But there's no one else that I can ask." Alex said pleadingly. "Look Mulder, if there was anyone else..."

Mulder sighed, hands on hips, his jacket pushed back from his lean frame. He shook his head. "Alex...I don't even like cats. I like fish, I prefer fish, cats, well...cats are another thing all together."

"Mulder, just this one time." Alex said. "Please."

They were both standing in Mulder's apartment, it was New Years day and as usual, Mulder was spending it eating pizza and watching videos from his 'personal' collection.

Alex had turned up on the doorstep with boxes of cat toys, cat food, a couple of her favourite cushions and Natty, who was curled up sound asleep in the plastic and metal cat carrier.

"Look Alex, every time you have some assassination to carry out, you can't dump your cat on me." Mulder told him, his voice firm. "After all, I am not a cat minding service.

"I am not assassinating anyone Mulder." Alex explained, exasperated. "Look, the truth is, I'm getting out, getting away but I need to sort everything out first. It's going to take a few days to put everything in order and I can't take Natty with me so..."

"So you decided to bring her to me." Mulder said. "Oh for..." He stopped suddenly, eyeing Alex with suspicion.

"What did you say?"

"I said I can't take Natty with me." Alex replied.

"No, no...before that, you said something about getting away." Mulder said, holding his hand up. "What exactly are you talking about Alex?"

Alex looked at the other man for a moment, debating on how much he should actually divulge, but the trouble was, he needed Mulder to take care of Natty, he sighed, then plunged ahead.

"I'm leaving Mulder." He told him flatly. "I've had enough, I'm getting out while I still can, I don't work for Spender anymore." He suddenly gave a hard humourless laugh.

"You might say that I've quit, only Spender doesn't know that quite yet."

"And when he finds out?" Mulder asked.

Alex shrugged. "You should be able to guess the answer to that Mulder." He replied.

"Yeah." Mulder nodded. "I guess I can at that." He regarded the slightly smaller man standing in front to him, heavy coat wrapped around his too thin frame, green eyes watching the FBI agent closely.

"That's part of the reason why I can't take Natty." Alex said softly. "I'm taking a huge risk as it is. If he finds out what I'm planning..." He let the sentence trail away, after all, there was no need to elaborate, Mulder knew quite well what the Smoking Man was capable of.

"We can help you Alex." Mulder said suddenly. "If you were to turn evidence on CSM and the other Consortium bastards, we could give you protection, put you in a safe house. You could start over, I can call Skinner and..."

Alex's eyes widened in panic. "No Mulder, not Skinner anyone but him...please."

"But he can arrange things for you Alex." Mulder replied.

Alex shook his head resolutely. "The last time you took me over to his place for my 'protection' I ended up freezing my ass off on his balcony, handcuffed to the goddammed railing. After he punched me in the gut, no thank you, besides, he doesn't look like the type that likes cats."

Mulder had to bite the inside of his mouth to stop himself from laughing aloud at that. Although he had to agree with Alex, Walter Skinner, Assistant Director of the FBI definitely did not look like the type that liked cats at all. Finally he sighed threw his hands up in the air. "All right then Alex, I'll watch your cat for you, but only while you are getting all your...business sorted out, and if you agree to give me some information on what you know about the Consortium, do we have a deal?"

Alex hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Okay Mulder, we have a deal, but afterwards I disappear and no one comes looking for me. Not if they want to keep their heads on their shoulders, is that clear?"

"As crystal." Mulder agreed. Alex handed the cat carrier over to the dark haired FBI agent, relieved that he had managed to get Mulder to agree to watch Natty while he was gone. He could have bared the thought of Natty all alone in that tiny little apartment without anyone there to take proper care of her.

"Now don't forget, she gets fed twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Alex told Mulder as the FBI agent led the ex Consortium agent to the front door. "She has tuna and chicken kibbles for breakfast and lamb and beef kibbles for dinner, oh and don't forget to give her a bowl of milk at least three times a day...oh and fresh water. And she likes to play with...."

"Yup, no problem." Mulder said as he shut the door on the concerned cat owner. He turned to walk over to where the cat carrier sat on the floor when there was a knock at the door. With a sigh, Mulder opened it once more.

"And don't forget she likes to sleep on the bed at night with her toy bear Mr Cuddles." Alex finished.

"Right got it, Mr Cuddles, great no problem." Mulder replied, then shut the door again. He turned back to the still snoozing cat. "Now then Natty, lets get a couple of things...oh what now."

He stormed back over to the door, yanking it open.

"And don't forget to pat her, she needs lots of love and affection, not to mention reassurance." Alex continued.

Mulder repressed a groan. "Okay, pats, love, reassurance...got it. Bye." He shut the door, then waited. Nothing, great finally Alex had gone. Mulder leaned against the door and let out a sigh of relief.

"Give me fish any day." He muttered under his breath, then went back over to the cat carrier.

"Time to let you out I suppose." He said as he crouched down to open the door to the carrier. Natty slowly unwound herself and slipped out of the carrier, regarding her new surrounding in the calm of a Madonna.

"Well hey there." Mulder said as he reached out to scratch the large black cat behind her ear.

Natty purred and rubbed her head against Mulder's hand, he smiled down at her, enjoying the warmth of her body as she twisted around under his hand.

"Now let's get some things straight Natty." Mulder told her firmly. "See that fish tank over there, you do not go near it, I happen to be very fond of my fish and trust me when I tell you that they are not on the menu. Understand...good."

Natty meowed and continued to rub herself against Mulder, purring contentedly.

"Great, as long as we have an understanding." With that Mulder straightened up and headed towards the kitchen in search of a much needed beer.

Natty followed the tall agent, twining herself around his legs and nearly causing him to trip over a couple of times. Finally he managed to grab a beer from the fridge and head back to the sofa without either tripping over or accidentally stepping on Natty's tail.

He grabbed the remote and started flicking through the channels, seeing if there was anything worth watching. Scully was over at her mother's with her family celebrating New Years day so that left Mulder at a loose end. He wondered what the Lone Gunmen were up too, then grinned, probably playing computer games or trying to break into government systems to try and uncover some deep dark conspiracy.

With a grin, he silently wished them luck, then glanced down at the back furry shape curled up on his lap.

And here I am cat sitting for none other than Alex goddammed Krycek. He thought with a rueful shake of his head. Who the hell would have thought it.

He finished the beer and set the empty bottle down onto the coffee table with a thunk. "Happy freaking New Year Mulder." He muttered, then settled back to watch the tube.

xx

THREE

"No, get down from there Natty, come on, what did I tell you huh?" Mulder grabbed the cat from off the top of the fish tank and carried her back over to the couch. "Now stay there, I mean it."

Natty looked up at the human, honestly not understanding why he was so upset. After all, she was only watching the brightly coloured fish swimming around in the tank. She liked fish, they were so pretty...and tasty, and she was sure the human would not mind if she tasted a few. After all, he had plenty to spare.

Natasha waited until the human had settled back down at his funny looking contraption, his fingers tapping at the buttons that made the pictures on the box in front of him change.

'Computer', that's what this new human had called it. After making sure that he was fully absorbed in what he was doing, she padded back over to the fish tank and nimbly leapt back up, watching as the panicked fish dove about, cutting bright streaks through the clear water of the tank.

"Oh for pete's sake."

She felt herself grasped with a pair of strong hands and lifted off the tank and carried back to the couch once more.

"I'm telling you for the last time Natty, stay off my fish tank." Mulder scolded the beautiful animal as she playfully swiped at his hand. He sighed and shook his head, the dammed cat had only been here for four days and already she was acting like she owned the place.

Well time to get tough Mulder, he told himself while she cheekily nipped at his fingers. Or your are going to wake up tomorrow and find all you fish gone and one very plump cat sitting on an empty tank.

"Okay Natasha, this is your last warning, I swear if you get up on that fish tank again..I'll, I'll..." Mulder stopped, after all what in god's name could he possibly threaten a cat with? Ferocious dogs, no he didn't want to frighten her to death, what about not feeding her? No too cruel. He thought for a moment, nothing came to mind, finally he sighed and said the only thing that he could think of.

"I'll give you a good spanking, got it?"

Natasha meowed and snuggled up against him, obviously not taking him seriously at all.

Mulder rolled his eyes. "Cats." He muttered he was definitely a fish person.

He went to pick her up to give her a cuddle, when suddenly there was a flurry of knocks on the door. Setting the purring cat down, Mulder went to open it.

Alex was standing outside the door, clutching at his side, his face contorted with pain, Mulder caught him as he staggered forward, almost falling onto the floor.

"Jesus Alex, what happened to you?" Mulder asked as he helped the other man into the apartment.

"Fucking Consortium operatives found me when I went to retrieve my stash of funds." Alex told him, through clenched teeth. "Must have followed me, goddamn bastards."

Mulder helped him over to the couch, Natty sat ears straight up, her human had returned, but his voice sounded odd, as though he were hurt.

"Here lay down and let me take a look." Mulder ordered him as he carefully lifted Alex's hand away from his side, he could see the blood on his thick pullover. Taking the greatest of care, Mulder lifted the pullover and shirt up, there in Alex's side was a small but deep looking wound.

"Okay Alex, tell me what exactly took place." Mulder said.

Alex nodded, his face pale and sweaty with pain. "I got to where I needed to go." He began to explain. "I went to get the money that I had hidden away when the fuckers jumped me. I manage to get the hell out of there but I had to leave the cash behind, I think one of them must have stabbed me. Shit!" He exploded, then winced.

"I came straight here, I...I couldn't go back to my place, there would probably be more of them waiting for me." He finished lamely.

Mulder nodded, his face filled with concern. "Okay Alex, you were right to come straight here."

"I had to." Alex replied. "Natty's here."

Mulder repressed the urge to roll his eyes in utter exasperation. What was it with these cat owners anyway?

"Listen Alex, I have to get you to a hospital." He said firmly. " That wound's pretty deep by the look of it. It needs to be treated before you lose anymore blood."

Alex shook his head vehemently. "No, please Mulder, no hospital, they'll find me in there and kill me, you know they will."

Mulder frowned. "But Alex..."

"No Mulder...please." Mulder could see the raw pleading in the other man's eyes.

He hesitated, then reluctantly nodded. "Okay Alex, but I am going to call Scully, get her to take a look at you." With that he headed straight over to the phone and picking it up, dialed Scully's number from memory.

Alex heard Mulder's voice as he spoke into the phone, then became aware of a black shape nudging gently at him. It was Natasha, she mewed gently as she sniffed at her human, she could smell the blood on him, and the pain and fear, her human was hurt.

"Hi there girl." He whispered hoarsely as he lifted his hand to caress her sleek black head.

Mulder came back over to the couch where Alex lay. "She'll be straight over." He told the injured man.

Alex nodded, then closed his eyes, feeling the warmth of his cat underneath his hand.

Mulder hurried to the linen cupboard for some clean towels, anything to try and staunch the flow of blood.

Natty watched calmly as the human pressed the towels against her human's side, then they all settled down to wait for Scully.

xx

Part 3: Chances Are

ONE

Scully carefully probed the wound, checking for any signs of infection. Alex winced, cringing away from her fingers as she examined his side.

"Well, the good news is, the wound is clean and it doesn't seem to have penetrated any major organs, but the bad news is, it's pretty deep and he's lost a fair amount of blood." She told both Alex and Mulder as she straightened up.

Mulder nodded, then asked quietly. "Can you stitch it up?"

"Sure, I can." Scully replied with a sigh. "But with the amount of blood he's lost, I think it would be better if he went to hospital."

"No." Alex gasped, he struggled to sit up and Scully quickly pressed her hands down against his shoulders, gently restraining him.

"Take it easy Krycek." She told him, her voice firm. "Come on, the last thing you want to do now is start the wound bleeding again."

"Yeah, think of my poor couch." Mulder joked, then seeing the look on Scully's face, hastily added. "Hey I was just trying to lighten things up here."

With a roll of her eyes, Scully turned back to her patient. "Okay, if you don't want to go to hospital, that's fine. I can stitch the wound and give you some antibiotics to stop any infection from setting in, okay?"

Alex nodded, his face white and slicked with sweat. "Yes, that's fine....whatever. Just. No. Hospital."

"Okay then." Scully turned and started taking various instruments out of her medical bag, then she spotted Natty as the cat left her spot over near the fish tank and stalked over to where her human was laying.

"You're going to have to the cat out of here while I do this." She told Mulder as she started preparing a shot for the injured man stretched out in front of her.

"Okay." Mulder walked over and scooped Natasha up in his arms, she tried to struggle out of his grip, wanting to get to her human, she was not sure if she liked this new smaller human touching her property.

"Hey, come on Nat, take it easy, Scully's here to help." Mulder told the distressed animal as he carried her over to the bedroom. Depositing her onto the bed, he quickly shut the door, locking her in, and walked back to where Scully was now administering a shot to a wincing Alex.

"There, that should help the pain a little." She told him soothingly. Even though she did not like the Consortium operative, she still hated seeing people hurt and suffering, that was part of the reason she became a doctor in the first place, to heal the sick and wounded.

Allowing her professionalism to take over now, she began to close the small but ugly looking wound.

Mulder watched, lower lip caught in his teeth, he stood by, waiting to help out if needed.

Finally Scully was finished, she carefully placed a large white bandage over the tiny black stitches, then gave him another injection, this time to guard against any infection.

"Shit I hate needles." Alex muttered as he watched the hypodermic slip out of his arm. Scully smiled as she pulled her surgical gloves off.

"All done now." She told him. Then she turned to her partner. "Listen Mulder, Krycek's lost a lot of blood, I've managed to closed the wound but he can't be moved, not for a few days at least, he's going to have to stay here."

"No problem." Mulder replied with a crooked smile. "He can have my bed, I can bunk out here on the couch."

Scully nodded, her face thoughtful. "You are going to have to call Skinner, let him know what's happened, you're going to have to get some backup to help protect Krycek from the guys that did this to him."

"No." Alex muttered. "Not Skinner, I don't want that bald headed son of a bitch anywhere near me... or Natty for that matter."

Scully turned to Mulder questioningly

"Uh, Natty is Alex's cat." Mulder replied.

Scully pursed her lips. "Oh, okay." Krycek...with a cat? That had to be one for the books all right.

"Don't worry Scully, I'll take care of everything" Mulder assured her.

She gave her partner a tired smile, then began to pack her medical equipment up once more.

"I'll come back first thing tomorrow morning to check on him." She said as Mulder walked her to the door. "And if anything happens, and I mean anything at all, you get him to a hospital straight away, is that clear Mulder?"

"Sure, I promise." Mulder replied lifting his hand up in a Boy Scout's salute. "Scout's honour."

She sighed. "Since when were you ever a Scout Mulder?" She asked. He opened the front door for her with a grin.

"Since never." He replied. "Oh and Scully, thanks for coming straight over, I really appreciate it you know."

She smiled at him. "Anything for you Mulder." She gave him a friendly pat on the arm, then turned and headed out the door and down the hallway, towards the lift.

Mulder watched her go, then turned and walked back over to Alex.

He looked up as Mulder crouched down beside him. "Is there anything I can get you?" He asked.

Alex saw the genuine concern in the other man's hazel eyes and was touched. "Umm, some water would be great." He replied, his voice weak, the painkiller that Scully had administered was already working, making him sleepy.

"One glass of water, coming right up." Mulder said with a grin, then headed into the kitchen to get it.

Alex accepted the glass of water gratefully, his mouth was dry, the blood loss making him dehydrated. Mulder perched next to him, helping him as he drank, tiny drops of liquid, sliding down the sides of his mouth as he swallowed the water, his throat working painfully.

Finally Alex finished the water and handed the empty glass back to Mulder.

"Thanks." He whispered, settling back against the cushions. Mulder noticed that some colour had crept back into the assassin's cheeks, that was a good sign, but he still looked haggard with pain. Fine lines had appeared around Alex's mouth and there were dark smudges under his eyes, making them look deeper set then usual.

"Are you sure you won't go to hospital Alex?" He asked gently. The younger man shook his head.

"Not safe there Fox." Alex whispered hoarsely. "They'll find me there, you know that."

"Okay then." Mulder reached down and touched the younger man's face with his tips of his fingers, lightly brushing the cool clammy skin. "Come on, let's get you into bed, that way you'll be more comfortable."

Taking the greatest of care, he help Alex to his feet, propping him up as best he could, Mulder half helped, half carried Alex over to the bedroom. He managed to open the door and get Alex inside the room, helping him over to the bed.

"Come on Nat, off the bed." Mulder ordered the dozing cat, who of course ignored him. She watched as her human was stripped of his clothes and settled down between the sheets. The other human fussing over him.

The next thing she knew, she was swept off the bed and carried out of the room and placed unceremoniously onto the couch.

"You stay there Natty and I'll get your dinner for you." Mulder told the outraged cat as he headed for the kitchen.

Natty glared after him for a moment, then with tail imperiously held in the air, she headed straight back to her human, and her place on the bed.

Mulder quickly filled Natasha's bowl with her favourite food and set it down beside her water bowl. Then he heated some soup for Alex.

Setting the steaming bowl and some dry toast on a tray he carried it into the room.

"I've some soup for you Alex..." Mulder began, then stopped, seeing a black shape curled up on Alex's legs, the assassin was stroking her sleek black fur while she purred, the very picture of contentment.

"Oh for the love of..doesn't that cat do anything she's told."

Alex gave the annoyed FBI agent a lazy grin. "Nope."

Mulder set the tray down on the bed over Alex's knees. Then he scooped Natty back up once more.

"Eat the soup Alex, while I take care of her Highness here." With that, he carried Natasha out of the room once more.

Alex watched them go, chuckling, then he drew his breath in sharply. God but his side hurt. He reached over and picked up the spoon, tasting the beef and vegetable soup. It was tinned, but not too bad. With a shrug, he finished it, and the toast as well, then feeling better than he had for a while, settled back against the pillows and closing his eyes, drifted off to sleep.

TWO

Skinner knocked on the door to Mulder's apartment. He had received the call from his agent an hour ago and he had left straight away and headed over to where Mulder lived.

He had given the large Assistant Director a brief outline of what had happened, requesting special protection for Krycek.

Skinner wanted to speak to the Consortium operative himself before he agreed to anything, that was why he was standing in front of Mulder's apartment door right now.

Mulder opened the door, Natasha draped in his arms, large golden eyes regarding this newest human solemnly.

"Hi Mulder, I came over straight away...whatever is that?" Skinner stared at the cat, then up at his agent clearly puzzled.

"It's a cat Sir." Mulder replied.

"Oh, I had no idea you owned a cat." Skinner replied. He reached out to tickle Natty behind her ear, Natty's purring instantly went up a notch.

"It's not mine, It's Krycek's." Mulder explained as he led the AD into his living room.

"Oh..err, I see." Skinner replied, Krycek..with a cat? Would wonders never cease?

"And speaking of Krycek, where exactly is he now?"

"In my bedroom Sir." Mulder replied. "He was injured, one of the men that ambushed him stabbed him. Scully managed to patch him up but he's lost a fair bit of blood so it's not safe to move him right now."

Skinner nodded thoughtfully, then replied. "Well, may as well go in there and speak to him, find out if he's willing to cut a deal with us." The AD turned to Mulder, lowering his voice.

"If he agrees to turn state's evidence, then we can have him placed into a safe house and cleared of any charges that may be brought against him. But he has to

agree to help us first."

Mulder nodded. "I can't say for sure AD Skinner, but I think he might agree, he told me earlier that he wanted out of the Consortium, as a matter of fact it was when he was trying to set up his escape that he got ambushed in the first place."

"I see." Skinner replied thoughtfully. "Well, let's see what he's willing to agree to then shall we?"

With a cursory rap on the door, Skinner entered the bedroom, where Alex was settled up against the pillows watching Mulder's small portable TV. He looked up as both Skinner and Mulder entered the room.

Seeing Skinner, his mouth tightened perceptibly, his eyes darting to Mulder.

"Why is he here?" Alex asked, his voice cold and hard. It was easy to see that he did not like the tall heavy set man standing near the door of the bedroom.

"Calm down Krycek, I'm here to help you, okay?" Skinner told him as he walked over to where Alex was sitting, propped up in bed. He noticed how pale and worn the younger man appeared.

"Help me...how?" Alex asked, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"You need protection from the men that did this, and we need information, information that can help us bring down the Consortium once and for all. I think we might be able to help each other out in that respect." Skinner told him.

"And what do I get out of it...other than your...'protection'?" Alex asked, he did not trust the big man standing in front of him. Not one bit.

Skinner shrugged. "You won't be prosecuted for any of your crimes, not if you agree to testify against Spender and the rest of them, that's for a start, we will provide you with complete round the clock protection...." He stopped when Alex began to laugh.

"What...what is it?"

"Protection?" Alex replied harshly. ""Do you think you can protect me from these people Skinner? Oh come on, you know how powerful they are. You know what they are capable of, how many high ranking officials they have in their pockets. How can you protect me from these men, you can't even protect yourself."

Just then Mulder stepped forward, still holding Natty in his arms. "Alex. Skinner came all the way down here, the least you can do is hear him out."

Alex glanced at Mulder, then sighed. "Okay then." He replied. Natty chose that moment to leap from Mulder's arms to land lightly on Alex's lap. Alex scooped her up, holding her close to his chest.

"Hi there girl." He murmured in her ear lovingly. "Who's a pretty kitty then, hmmm." Nat meowed delicately, happy to be where she belonged, with her human.

Both Skinner and Mulder both had to repress smiles, it was so strange, seeing this side of the normally cold and deadly assassin. He was more given to holding guns, not cuddling cats.

"Alex, can I ask you a question and get a straight answer?" Skinner asked the younger man.

Alex glanced up at him, then nodded. "Sure."

"Do you want out of the Consortium or not?"

Swallowing hard, Alex nodded again.

"Fine, then we can help you." Skinner told him. "But that means you have to help us, understand?"

Alex thought for a moment, absently stroking Natasha. Both Mulder and Skinner waited, then Alex replied. "Okay, but there are some conditions of my own."

Skinner lifted his head. "Okay Alex, what are they?"

"First of all you'll get my help, but I want in on the ground floor, I want to be there when those bastards are exposed once and for all. And I want a safe place for both Natty and myself to stay while I'm recovering, somewhere remote where they can't get to us, and after this is all over, I disappear and no one comes looking for me. That's the deal Skinner. Take it or leave it."

"Depending on how much help you are willing to give us, I can't see that any of that is a problem." Skinner replied easily. "And don't worry Alex, I will hide you somewhere so remote no one will be able to find, not even the devil himself, you have my word on that."

Alex looked up at the Assistant Director, gauging the older man, trying to see if he could sense any deception at all, then finally deciding that he could trust him, nodded.

"Okay Skinner, I guess we have a deal."

Skinner smiled, then turned back to Mulder once more. "Come on Agent Mulder." He said quietly. "We have a few things to discuss."

xx

THREE

It was not until the following week that Scully finally declared Alex fit to travel. Skinner was as good as his word and arranged a safe house up in the mountains, a remote cabin that was rarely used and barely known about.

Both the AD and Mulder were seated in the front while Alex, holding Natasha in her cat carrier, where sitting in the back, Scully was driving in her own car behind them.

He was looking out at the breathtaking panorama before him as they made the their way up the winding narrow road.

"Wow Skinner, when you said remote, you sure weren't joking." He remarked with a smile. In actual fact, he was swept away by the wild beauty of it all.

Skinner spared him a glance back. "It's the safest place I could think of Alex." He replied mildly. "No one knows about it, and it's totally secure, so no one can get in...or out." He let the last words sink in.

Alex shook his head. "I'm not going to try and escape Skinner." He replied quietly. "After all, I have no where to go, no cash to go with, I'm still recovering from this stab wound and now I have a cat to feed."

A loud meow from the carrier made all three men burst into laughter, Natty's timing was perfect.

A few more minutes, then a large modern looking cabin came into view. Alex nodded, impressed.

"This is it?" He asked.

"It sure is." Skinner replied. "Both you and Mulder will be staying here until we think it's safe for you to return to DC."

He pulled the car he was driving up in front of the long porch. The three of them were climbing out of the car, when Scully pulled up behind them.

They watched as she got out from behind the steering wheel and walked over to where they were all standing.

She surveyed the outside of the cabin, then turned to Skinner. "It's lovely." She said, they could hear the approval in her voice.

"Wait 'til you see the inside." Skinner replied with a grin. He led all of them up to the house, pulling a set of keys out from the pocket of his overcoat. The ground had a good covering of snow, and they carefully made their way through it up to the cabin.

The AD unlocked the front door and pushed it open, stepping into a large and comfortably furnished living room.

The others entered behind him, Mulder whistling in appreciation at the surrounding, he had half been expecting some primitive log shack complete with a banjo playing idiot sitting in the dirt out front. Suddenly an image of the Peacock brothers flashed through his mind and he shuddered.

Alex gave him a keen glance. "You okay?" He asked.

Mulder looked at him, was that concern he heard in the assassin's voice? Aloud he replied. "Yeah, I'm fine, just a little cold is all."

Alex nodded, still not quite convinced. He turned to Skinner who was explaining about the security system.

"The control panel is over here." He was saying, indicating towards a small gray coloured box near the door. "All the codes are written down, I'll give them to you before I leave."

Skinner then gave them a run down of the cabin, explaining to them where everything was, both Mulder and Alex listened to the older man, Alex holding Natty firmly n his arms, he had released her from the carrier and she she was now looking around the room, eager to check out her new surroundings.

Finally Skinner handed the keys over to Mulder, who took them and put them in the pocket of his jeans.

"I expect you to check in once a day on the special number that I have given to you." Skinner told him. "There's plenty of food in the kitchen and any new supplies that you need will be brought up to you by either myself or Agent Scully, only she or I will have any contact with you, the less people that know that you are both here, the better."

"Amen to that." Alex muttered under his breath. Natty purred and rubbed her head against her human's chin in complete agreement.

Skinner gave the younger man a grim smile. Then he turned back to Mulder once more. "Anything at all happens Mulder and you are to contact me immediately, no trying to handle things on your own. I will expect a full report on everything that happens here, and as for you Alex..."

He turned to the younger man, his face set in stern lines. "Just remember that it's in your best interests to give your full cooperation while you are here. Any trouble and I will have you placed in a high security lockup, is that clear?"

Alex nodded. "Yes it is." He replied, his voice soft, but firm. Skinner nodded, satisfied, every instinct was telling him that this time Alex Krycek was on the level, and Skinner was a man that trusted his instincts implicitly."Well then, Scully and I will take our leave of you." Skinner said. He glanced at Alex. "Scully will be back in a couple of days to check on you, make sure you are recovering."

"Okay." Alex replied, that had been part of the agreement, that Scully would be able to drive back out to the cabin to check on her patient, his wound was healing nicely, but she did not want to take any chances with it.

Finally the Assistant Director and Dana Scully left, both Mulder and Alex watched as the car drove away, heading towards the main road and back to the city. The car that Skinner had drove them up in was still parked outside the cabin, a light dusting of snow was already starting to fall.

Mulder looked at Alex, then smiled. "Well I guess we had better get out stuff out of the car and inside before it starts getting heavier."

"Yeah, you're right." Alex replied. He looked up at the heavy gray clouds overhead. "It looks like we are in for a storm alright."

Natty gave no opinion, she was merely happy to snuggle deeper into her human's arms and watch as the snow began to fall.

xx

Part 4: Chances Taken

ONE

It had been snowing steadily all morning, the wind had picked up and drifts ofsnow lay against the cabin in bright glistening mounds.

Alex stood at the window watching the large intricate flakes of snow as they ticked against the frosted glass of the window pane.

Natty was curled up on the window seat, delicate nose tucked under her tail in a canine rather than feline fashion.

It had been two days since the three of them had arrived at the cabin and Natasha had spent every minute prowling around the spacious rooms, thoroughly exploring her new environment.

Finally the large comfortable cabin had met with her approval and she had settled in, claiming the large well padded window seat as her own.

Alex reached down and petted the beautiful animal that had so thoroughly claimed him as well.

She lifted her head briefly to give her human a golden sleepy eyed stare, then settled back down to her cat nap once.

"Okay, I'll quit bugging you." Alex told her with a grin and moved away from the window and over to the couch. A cheerful fire was blazing away in the large rustic stone fireplace, giving the room an air of homey comfort.

"What's up?" Mulder asked as he entered the room, several logs clutched in his arms. Both he and the logs were covered with a fine dusting of snow.

He walked over to where a large wicker basket sat next to the fireplace, and dumped the logs into it.

"There, that should do us for now." He said, satisfied.

"How about I make us some fresh coffee." Alex offered, he was starting to feel a bit guilty now, ever since they had arrived at the cabin, it seemed that Mulder was doing all the work, getting the wood for the fire, preparing the meals and doing the dishes. Granted, there was not a lot that Alex could do while he was healing from the stab wound in his side, but he was beginning to feel bad that he was not pitching in more to help out.

"Sounds great to me." Mulder said with a grin. Alex nodded, then headed to the kitchen, Natty seeing that her human was headed towards one of her favourite parts of the cabin, nimbly leapt down from her perch and padded after him. Usually when her human, or her other human were in this particular room, a bowl of milk was more than likely in the offering.

Alex plugged in the coffee maker, humming a tune under his breath, he started taking the thick stoneware mugs down off the shelf and set them onto the counter. Suddenly he felt something rubbing around his legs.

"Hi there baby." Alex said, scooping the cat up into his arms. "What are you after hmmm, I hate to tell you this but cat's don't drink coffee."

"That's right, only human's do." Mulder replied as he walked into the kitchen, he had taken off his thick sheepskin jacket and hung it up near the door, now he was dressed in a dark blue woolen jumper and jeans.

Alex grinned at him, his chin resting lightly on top of Natty's head.

"I'd say at a rough guess, she's after some milk...isn't that right girl." He crooned, turning has attention back to the golden eyes feline in his arms.

"You give her any more milk and she's going to get so fat she won't be able to fit through the door." Mulder replied with a laugh, his hazel eyes twinkling.

Natty lifted her head to give her other human an outraged glare that made both men crack up.

Finally Alex handed her over to Mulder. "Here, take her Highness here so I can pour us both some coffee."

Mulder gathered Natty into his arms and carried her back out into the cozy living room.

xx

TWO

Both men sat side by side on the low comfortable couch watching the flames lick at the blackened logs in the grate. Natasha was snuggled up in between them, sleepily listening to their voices as they spoke.

"So what made you want to get out of the Consortium?" Mulder was asking as he sipped the hot liquid in the mug that he held between both hands.

Alex shrugged. "A whole lot of reasons to be honest." He replied. "The main one is that I just don't believe in what they are doing anymore. Oh I did once, a long time ago when they first recruited me." He smiled slightly. "I remember Spender approaching me when I was walking across the college campus one day. He said that that he represented a special interest group that could help further my career."

"Your career?" Mulder asked. "What career was that?"

Alex sighed and stared down at his half empty coffee mug. "I wanted to go into law, I was studying for my law degree. Spender said that my field of studies where perfect for what they had in mind for me...the fucking liar."

Mulder heard the bitterness in the younger man's voice and said nothing, waiting for him to continue.

"He told me that they were helping mankind, it was only later that I found out the truth. They were willing to sell out mankind to the aliens simply to protect themselves. Bastards."

"Why didn't you come to us sooner Alex?" Mulder asked. "We could have helped you Alex we could have..."

"Helped me?" Alex replied heavily. "After everything that I had done, your father, Scully's sister, the nanocytes that Skinner was infected with? Come on Mulder, how could I have possibly come to you for help, it simply wasn't possible at the time."

Mulder sighed and stared into the fireplace. "I know that there's a lot of bad history between us Alex, there's a lot of unresolved shit, but I am willing to put it aside if it means getting your help to finish these sons of bitches once and for all."

Alex glanced at him. "I don't understand Mulder, what's your stake in all this, what's your reason for putting your ass on the line?"

Mulder lifted his eyes to meet the younger man's steady gaze. "My sister Samantha, I owe it to her, and to all the others that have been abducted, taken away from their loved ones and handed over to the aliens, Scully included. That's why I'm doing it."

Alex nodded thoughtfully, then lifted his mug in a toast. "To us, the fearless avengers."

Mulder laughed and returned Alex's toast with one of his own. "To truth, justice and the American way."

"That's already been done Mulder." Alex replied drily.

"Oh, really?" Mulder asked, giving Alex his best innocent look. Who by?" He laughed as he ducked a mock punch, spilling a little of his coffee onto his jumper.

"Oh shit." He said, looking down at the brown stain spreading over his jumper. "Better get changed."

Alex watched the other man get up and walked over to the staircase, heading upstairs to the bedroom to get another pullover. He glanced down at Natasha, who was now wide awake and stretching her long sleek body full length.

Alex smiled fondly as he picked her up and settled her down on his lap. "Mulder and myself against the Consortium, an unlikely alliance or what? Tell me what you think girl."

Natasha yawned, petite mouth opening wide, then she began to groom herself, paying particular attention to her paws.

Alex grinned. "Yeah I agree with you." He said, then glanced up as he heard the creak of the stair treads, it was Mulder coming back down into the living room. He had changed into a pair of old gray sweat pants and a pullover.

"Agree with what?" he asked as he picked up both the mugs. Alex shook his head. "Nothing." He replied. "I was just...thinking aloud."

"Okay." Mulder carried the mugs back into the kitchen, leaving Alex to his own thoughts.

xx

THREE

Dinner was finished and both Alex and Mulder carried the dishes in the kitchen. Mulder had whipped up some kind of tuna and noodle casserole that actually had not been half bad.

Alex was hopeless in the kitchen so by tacit agreement all the cooking was done by Mulder.

They washed and dried the dishes, working side by side, neither one of them speaking, neither wanting to break the fragile peace that was between them.

After the dishes were done, they both walked into the living room, Alex yawned, tired, but not unpleasantly so.

Mulder glanced at him. "Why don't you go upstairs and take a nap, you look done in."

Alex shook his head. "No, I'm all right, I might watch TV for awhile, see if there's anything good on."

"Okay, you're the boss." Mulder said easily. "But just remember Alex, you are still an invalid." He pointed towards Alex's side.

"I've survived worse than this." The younger man replied. "In fact, you'd be surprised at what I have survived."

Mulder returned his gaze evenly. "You know, somehow I don't think I would be."

Alex laughed. "Yeah, maybe not."

He settled himself down onto the couch once more picking up the remote, then looked up as Mulder took it out of his hand and set it down onto the walnut coffee table.

"Hey Mulder I was going to..."

"No Alex, the TV can wait." Mulder told the younger man firmly. "We need to talk."

"Talk about what?" Alex asked.

"About you Alex." Mulder replied. "About what you are going to do afterwards."

Alex frowned, puzzled. "Mulder, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about what plans you have after we bring down the Consortium." Mulder explained.

Alex stared at him for a moment, then laughed. "Mulder, don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit, I mean, we haven't even started to bring them down...oh apart from a couple of you're own little ventures, but that's not even scratching the surface. You have no idea how big the Consortium is, how powerful."

Mulder settled back against the couch. "So what you are saying is that we may as well give up now because there's no way in hell that we will succeed."

Alex shook his head. "No Mulder, that's not what I'm saying, it's just that I know these bastards, I know them well. I used to work for them. I know that if we take them on, then we are in for the long haul, that's what I am saying."

Mulder sighed. "Then that's what we do Alex, we bunker in and we get these bastards and we don't stop until the Consortium is smashed wide open, we don't stop until they are finished once and for all."

Alex smiled across at him. "Fine, then that's what we do, but where do we start?"

"We start with you recovering from your wound first." Mulder replied. "And then, you keep your side of the deal and tell us everything that we need to know to bring them down. That's what you agreed to."

"And then I disappear." Alex said softly. He glanced down at Natty who was now curled up and snoozing on his lap. "We disappear, for good."

"And go where, exactly?" Mulder asked. Alex looked up at him, his eyes dark and unfathomable, Mulder noticed, and not for the first time, how startling those eyes were. How beautiful.

"There's a place I have, an old farm I bought a few years back, a place where I could hide out and lay low if I needed to. As far as I know, it's the one place that Spender doesn't know about, Christ, at least I hope he doesn't anyway." He gave a short humourless laugh.

"That's where I was going to go, you know before those assholes fucking ambushed me."

Mulder nodded, this face thoughtful, then he turned back to dark haired assassin. "Don't you get tired of it Alex?" He asked softly.

"Tired of what?" He asked.

"Of constantly running." Mulder replied. Alex looked at him for a moment, then quickly looked away. His hand resting on the warm thick fur of the cat, as if seeking comfort there.

"Well?" Mulder pressed on. "Don't you Alex. Don't you long to stop running, even if it's only for a little while?"

"Sometimes." Alex's voice was muffled, he refused to meet the other man's eyes. "Sometimes I get so tired of it, so...very tired." His voice had dropped to a whisper now, Mulder strained to hear.

"The night that Natty turned up at my window, that Christmas eve, I was all alone, more alone than I had ever been in my whole life." Alex continued, speaking softly, as if Mulder were no longer in the room.

"I mean, I have been alone before, in fact that's the way I spend most of my time." He smiled bitterly. "But this was different, this was, like I was at the bottom of a well and I couldn't find my way out."

Mulder did not speak, he sat, watching the younger man sitting, cat curled up on his lap, speaking in a cold monotone that he had never heard Alex use before.

"I decided to find my way out, I had the gun in front of me, it was loaded, I remember what it tasted like when it was inside my mouth." He turned his vivid green eyes on Mulder, his gaze unwavering.

"I was going to pull the trigger Fox, I was going to find my way out of that well."

"It was Natasha that stopped you, wasn't it." It was not a question.

Alex nodded, swallowing hard. "Yes Fox, it was. She turned up at the window and I let her in."

"And she stayed." Mulder added gently. Alex turned to look at him, tears glistening at the corners of his eyes.

"Yes Fox...she stayed, and I have decided to stay. I may still be at the bottom of that well, but at least I'm no longer alone."

Mulder reached out and grasped the younger man's hand, holding it in his own. "No Alex, you're not alone, and if you want...I'll help you find you're way out, I can do that much."

Alex smiled at him. "Thanks Fox...that means a great deal to me, you know." Suddenly, before he realized what he was doing, he leaned forward and kissed the other man on the mouth, his lips touching Mulder's. Then horrified, he drew back.

"Oh god...Mulder, I,...I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that...I shouldn't have. I'm so sorry." He stammered, appalled at what he had done.

Mulder's smile turned into a grin. "Why are you sorry Alex, I'm not, and what happened to Fox all of a sudden?"

Alex's mouth dropped open almost comically. "You, you're not going to hit me?"

Mulder chuckled. "No Alex, not this time."

"Wha, well, what are you going to do?" Alex asked nervously.

"Just this." Mulder leaned forward and kissed the younger man deeply, his lips infusing Alex's with an incredible warmth that left the younger man gasping.

Alex drew back, stunned. "Wow."

"Wow indeed." Mulder replied, suddenly he reached over and gently lifted Natasha off Alex's lap, noting with satisfaction, the bulge that had appeared in the front of his jeans.

"Ever made love to a man before Alex?" Mulder asked, his voice husky.

Wide eyed, Alex nodded. "I have, well not love exactly, it was just sex, a way of furthering my career within the Consortium, it never meant anything but...oh hell, you don't want to hear this...I don't want to hear this. Fox, can we fuck...please?"

"No, we are not going to fuck." Mulder told him gently. "What we are going to do it make love, right here, on the rug in front of the fire."

Alex swallowed hard. "Yeah, that's what I want...but what about Natty. He glanced over at the cat as she wandered over to the window seat.

"She'll have to find her own partner, won't she." Mulder replied. He took both of Alex's hands and lifted him up off the couch, leading him over to the large colourful rug that was stretched out in front of the cheerfully blazing fire.

Slowly, taking his time, Mulder removed every stitch of the younger man's clothes, until Alex was standing naked, the light of the fire casting bright patterns over his smooth skin.

Mulder quickly shed his own clothes, his cock already erect and bobbing between his well muscled legs. Gently, he drew Alex into an embrace, kissing him once more.

To say that Alex's response was ardent would have been an understatement, it was as though a dam had broken. Alex kissed and nipped and lapped at every inch of Mulder's body, making the other man moan and writhe in front of the fire. Finally they coupled, Alex sitting astride Mulder's lap, his cries of pleasure reaching the high beamed ceiling as Mulder thrust into him while he in turn pumped Alex's cock.

Finally, spent and sated both men lay in each other's arms, the sweat of their love making already drying on the flushed skin.

"Well, hope that was better than a fuck?" Mulder said teasingly. Alex chuckled, the afterglow of their lovemaking leaving him feeling delightfully tired and lazy.

"Much better." He whispered. He snuggled into Mulder's arms, resting his head against the other man's shoulder, his eyes closing.

"How's your side feeling?" Mulder whispered into his ear.

"What side?" Alex mumbled sleepily.

"Your wound?" Mulder replied with a chuckle. "Is it okay, I don't want to think that I have torn any stitches or anything."

"Hmmm...fine." Alex murmured. "Juss...fine..."

Mulder watched as the younger man drifted off to sleep, then became aware of a dark shape nuzzling at his back. It was Natty.

She was gazing at both her humans, the smell of their sex strong on them both.

He grinned at her. "Hey there girl." He said softly. "Whatcha doing there?"

A soft meow, then she jumped up on the couch, settling down, contented and happy in her own inscrutable cat like way.

Outside the snow continued to fall and inside the warm cabin two figures lay stretched out in front of the fireplace, the leaping flames casting shadows on the cream coloured walls.

Mulder and Alex lay, cocooned within that warmth, and each other.

Part 4: Chances Taken

ONE

It had been snowing steadily all morning, the wind had picked up and drifts ofsnow lay against the cabin in bright glistening mounds.

Alex stood at the window watching the large intricate flakes of snow as they ticked against the frosted glass of the window pane.

Natty was curled up on the window seat, delicate nose tucked under her tail in a canine rather than feline fashion.

It had been two days since the three of them had arrived at the cabin and Natasha had spent every minute prowling around the spacious rooms, thoroughly exploring her new environment.

Finally the large comfortable cabin had met with her approval and she had settled in, claiming the large well padded window seat as her own.

Alex reached down and petted the beautiful animal that had so thoroughly claimed him as well.

She lifted her head briefly to give her human a golden sleepy eyed stare, then settled back down to her cat nap once.

"Okay, I'll quit bugging you." Alex told her with a grin and moved away from the window and over to the couch. A cheerful fire was blazing away in the large rustic stone fireplace, giving the room an air of homey comfort.

"What's up?" Mulder asked as he entered the room, several logs clutched in his arms. Both he and the logs were covered with a fine dusting of snow.

He walked over to where a large wicker basket sat next to the fireplace, and dumped the logs into it.

"There, that should do us for now." He said, satisfied.

"How about I make us some fresh coffee." Alex offered, he was starting to feel a bit guilty now, ever since they had arrived at the cabin, it seemed that Mulder was doing all the work, getting the wood for the fire, preparing the meals and doing the dishes. Granted, there was not a lot that Alex could do while he was healing from the stab wound in his side, but he was beginning to feel bad that he was not pitching in more to help out.

"Sounds great to me." Mulder said with a grin. Alex nodded, then headed to the kitchen, Natty seeing that her human was headed towards one of her favourite parts of the cabin, nimbly leapt down from her perch and padded after him. Usually when her human, or her other human were in this particular room, a bowl of milk was more than likely in the offering.

Alex plugged in the coffee maker, humming a tune under his breath, he started taking the thick stoneware mugs down off the shelf and set them onto the counter. Suddenly he felt something rubbing around his legs.

"Hi there baby." Alex said, scooping the cat up into his arms. "What are you after hmmm, I hate to tell you this but cat's don't drink coffee."

"That's right, only human's do." Mulder replied as he walked into the kitchen, he had taken off his thick sheepskin jacket and hung it up near the door, now he was dressed in a dark blue woolen jumper and jeans.

Alex grinned at him, his chin resting lightly on top of Natty's head.

"I'd say at a rough guess, she's after some milk...isn't that right girl." He crooned, turning has attention back to the golden eyes feline in his arms.

"You give her any more milk and she's going to get so fat she won't be able to fit through the door." Mulder replied with a laugh, his hazel eyes twinkling.

Natty lifted her head to give her other human an outraged glare that made both men crack up.

Finally Alex handed her over to Mulder. "Here, take her Highness here so I can pour us both some coffee."

Mulder gathered Natty into his arms and carried her back out into the cozy living room.

xx

TWO

Both men sat side by side on the low comfortable couch watching the flames lick at the blackened logs in the grate. Natasha was snuggled up in between them, sleepily listening to their voices as they spoke.

"So what made you want to get out of the Consortium?" Mulder was asking as he sipped the hot liquid in the mug that he held between both hands.

Alex shrugged. "A whole lot of reasons to be honest." He replied. "The main one is that I just don't believe in what they are doing anymore. Oh I did once, a long time ago when they first recruited me." He smiled slightly. "I remember Spender approaching me when I was walking across the college campus one day. He said that that he represented a special interest group that could help further my career."

"Your career?" Mulder asked. "What career was that?"

Alex sighed and stared down at his half empty coffee mug. "I wanted to go into law, I was studying for my law degree. Spender said that my field of studies where perfect for what they had in mind for me...the fucking liar."

Mulder heard the bitterness in the younger man's voice and said nothing, waiting for him to continue.

"He told me that they were helping mankind, it was only later that I found out the truth. They were willing to sell out mankind to the aliens simply to protect themselves. Bastards."

"Why didn't you come to us sooner Alex?" Mulder asked. "We could have helped you Alex we could have..."

"Helped me?" Alex replied heavily. "After everything that I had done, your father, Scully's sister, the nanocytes that Skinner was infected with? Come on Mulder, how could I have possibly come to you for help, it simply wasn't possible at the time."

Mulder sighed and stared into the fireplace. "I know that there's a lot of bad history between us Alex, there's a lot of unresolved shit, but I am willing to put it aside if it means getting your help to finish these sons of bitches once and for all."

Alex glanced at him. "I don't understand Mulder, what's your stake in all this, what's your reason for putting your ass on the line?"

Mulder lifted his eyes to meet the younger man's steady gaze. "My sister Samantha, I owe it to her, and to all the others that have been abducted, taken away from their loved ones and handed over to the aliens, Scully included. That's why I'm doing it."

Alex nodded thoughtfully, then lifted his mug in a toast. "To us, the fearless avengers."

Mulder laughed and returned Alex's toast with one of his own. "To truth, justice and the American way."

"That's already been done Mulder." Alex replied drily.

"Oh, really?" Mulder asked, giving Alex his best innocent look. Who by?" He laughed as he ducked a mock punch, spilling a little of his coffee onto his jumper.

"Oh shit." He said, looking down at the brown stain spreading over his jumper. "Better get changed."

Alex watched the other man get up and walked over to the staircase, heading upstairs to the bedroom to get another pullover. He glanced down at Natasha, who was now wide awake and stretching her long sleek body full length.

Alex smiled fondly as he picked her up and settled her down on his lap. "Mulder and myself against the Consortium, an unlikely alliance or what? Tell me what

you think girl."

Natasha yawned, petite mouth opening wide, then she began to groom herself, paying particular attention to her paws.

Alex grinned. "Yeah I agree with you." He said, then glanced up as he heard the creak of the stair treads, it was Mulder coming back down into the living room. He had changed into a pair of old gray sweat pants and a pullover.

"Agree with what?" he asked as he picked up both the mugs. Alex shook his head. "Nothing." He replied. "I was just...thinking aloud."

"Okay." Mulder carried the mugs back into the kitchen, leaving Alex to his own thoughts.

xx

THREE

Dinner was finished and both Alex and Mulder carried the dishes in the kitchen. Mulder had whipped up some kind of tuna and noodle casserole that actually had not been half bad.

Alex was hopeless in the kitchen so by tacit agreement all the cooking was done by Mulder.

They washed and dried the dishes, working side by side, neither one of them speaking, neither wanting to break the fragile peace that was between them.

After the dishes were done, they both walked into the living room, Alex yawned, tired, but not unpleasantly so.

Mulder glanced at him. "Why don't you go upstairs and take a nap, you look done in."

Alex shook his head. "No, I'm all right, I might watch TV for awhile, see if there's anything good on."

"Okay, you're the boss." Mulder said easily. "But just remember Alex, you are still an invalid." He pointed towards Alex's side.

"I've survived worse than this." The younger man replied. "In fact, you'd be surprised at what I have survived."

Mulder returned his gaze evenly. "You know, somehow I don't think I would be."

Alex laughed. "Yeah, maybe not."

He settled himself down onto the couch once more picking up the remote, then looked up as Mulder took it out of his hand and set it down onto the walnut coffee table.

"Hey Mulder I was going to..."

"No Alex, the TV can wait." Mulder told the younger man firmly. "We need to talk."

"Talk about what?" Alex asked.

"About you Alex." Mulder replied. "About what you are going to do afterwards."

Alex frowned, puzzled. "Mulder, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about what plans you have after we bring down the Consortium." Mulder explained.

Alex stared at him for a moment, then laughed. "Mulder, don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit, I mean, we haven't even started to bring them down...oh apart from a couple of you're own little ventures, but that's not even scratching the surface. You have no idea how big the Consortium is, how powerful."

Mulder settled back against the couch. "So what you are saying is that we may as well give up now because there's no way in hell that we will succeed."

Alex shook his head. "No Mulder, that's not what I'm saying, it's just that I know these bastards, I know them well. I used to work for them. I know that if we take them on, then we are in for the long haul, that's what I am saying."

Mulder sighed. "Then that's what we do Alex, we bunker in and we get these bastards and we don't stop until the Consortium is smashed wide open, we don't stop until they are finished once and for all."

Alex smiled across at him. "Fine, then that's what we do, but where do we start?"

"We start with you recovering from your wound first." Mulder replied. "And then, you keep your side of the deal and tell us everything that we need to know to bring them down. That's what you agreed to."

"And then I disappear." Alex said softly. He glanced down at Natty who was now curled up and snoozing on his lap. "We disappear, for good."

"And go where, exactly?" Mulder asked. Alex looked up at him, his eyes dark and unfathomable, Mulder noticed, and not for the first time, how startling those eyes were. How beautiful.

"There's a place I have, an old farm I bought a few years back, a place where I could hide out and lay low if I needed to. As far as I know, it's the one place that Spender doesn't know about, Christ, at least I hope he doesn't anyway." He gave a short humourless laugh.

"That's where I was going to go, you know before those assholes fucking ambushed me."

Mulder nodded, this face thoughtful, then he turned back to dark haired assassin. "Don't you get tired of it Alex?" He asked softly.

"Tired of what?" He asked.

"Of constantly running." Mulder replied. Alex looked at him for a moment, then quickly looked away. His hand resting on the warm thick fur of the cat, as if seeking comfort there.

"Well?" Mulder pressed on. "Don't you Alex. Don't you long to stop running, even if it's only for a little while?"

"Sometimes." Alex's voice was muffled, he refused to meet the other man's eyes. "Sometimes I get so tired of it, so...very tired." His voice had dropped to a whisper now, Mulder strained to hear.

"The night that Natty turned up at my window, that Christmas eve, I was all alone, more alone than I had ever been in my whole life." Alex continued, speaking softly, as if Mulder were no longer in the room.

"I mean, I have been alone before, in fact that's the way I spend most of my time." He smiled bitterly. "But this was different, this was, like I was at the bottom of a well and I couldn't find my way out."

Mulder did not speak, he sat, watching the younger man sitting, cat curled up on his lap, speaking in a cold monotone that he had never heard Alex use before.

"I decided to find my way out, I had the gun in front of me, it was loaded, I remember what it tasted like when it was inside my mouth." He turned his vivid green eyes on Mulder, his gaze unwavering.

"I was going to pull the trigger Fox, I was going to find my way out of that well."

"It was Natasha that stopped you, wasn't it." It was not a question.

Alex nodded, swallowing hard. "Yes Fox, it was. She turned up at the window and I let her in."

"And she stayed." Mulder added gently. Alex turned to look at him, tears glistening at the corners of his eyes.

"Yes Fox...she stayed, and I have decided to stay. I may still be at the bottom of that well, but at least I'm no longer alone."

Mulder reached out and grasped the younger man's hand, holding it in his own. "No Alex, you're not alone, and if you want...I'll help you find you're way out, I can do that much."

Alex smiled at him. "Thanks Fox...that means a great deal to me, you know." Suddenly, before he realized what he was doing, he leaned forward and kissed the other man on the mouth, his lips touching Mulder's. Then horrified, he drew back.

"Oh god...Mulder, I,...I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that...I shouldn't have. I'm so sorry." He stammered, appalled at what he had done.

Mulder's smile turned into a grin. "Why are you sorry Alex, I'm not, and what happened to Fox all of a sudden?"

Alex's mouth dropped open almost comically. "You, you're not going to hit me?"

Mulder chuckled. "No Alex, not this time."

"Wha, well, what are you going to do?" Alex asked nervously.

"Just this." Mulder leaned forward and kissed the younger man deeply, his lips infusing Alex's with an incredible warmth that left the younger man gasping.

Alex drew back, stunned. "Wow."

"Wow indeed." Mulder replied, suddenly he reached over and gently lifted Natasha off Alex's lap, noting with satisfaction, the bulge that had appeared in the front of his jeans.

"Ever made love to a man before Alex?" Mulder asked, his voice husky.

Wide eyed, Alex nodded. "I have, well not love exactly, it was just sex, a way of furthering my career within the Consortium, it never meant anything but...oh hell, you don't want to hear this...I don't want to hear this. Fox, can we fuck...please?"

"No, we are not going to fuck." Mulder told him gently. "What we are going to do it make love, right here, on the rug in front of the fire."

Alex swallowed hard. "Yeah, that's what I want...but what about Natty. He glanced over at the cat as she wandered over to the window seat.

"She'll have to find her own partner, won't she." Mulder replied. He took both of Alex's hands and lifted him up off the couch, leading him over to the large colourful rug that was stretched out in front of the cheerfully blazing fire.

Slowly, taking his time, Mulder removed every stitch of the younger man's clothes, until Alex was standing naked, the light of the fire casting bright patterns over his smooth skin.

Mulder quickly shed his own clothes, his cock already erect and bobbing between his well muscled legs. Gently, he drew Alex into an embrace, kissing him once more.

To say that Alex's response was ardent would have been an understatement, it was as though a dam had broken. Alex kissed and nipped and lapped at every inch of Mulder's body, making the other man moan and writhe in front of the fire. Finally they coupled, Alex sitting astride Mulder's lap, his cries of pleasure reaching the high beamed ceiling as Mulder thrust into him while he in turn pumped Alex's cock.

Finally, spent and sated both men lay in each other's arms, the sweat of their love making already drying on the flushed skin.

"Well, hope that was better than a fuck?" Mulder said teasingly. Alex chuckled, the afterglow of their lovemaking leaving him feeling delightfully tired and lazy.

"Much better." He whispered. He snuggled into Mulder's arms, resting his head against the other man's shoulder, his eyes closing.

"How's your side feeling?" Mulder whispered into his ear.

"What side?" Alex mumbled sleepily.

"Your wound?" Mulder replied with a chuckle. "Is it okay, I don't want to think that I have torn any stitches or anything."

"Hmmm...fine." Alex murmured. "Juss...fine..."

Mulder watched as the younger man drifted off to sleep, then became aware of a dark shape nuzzling at his back. It was Natty.

She was gazing at both her humans, the smell of their sex strong on them both.

He grinned at her. "Hey there girl." He said softly. "Whatcha doing there?"

A soft meow, then she jumped up on the couch, settling down, contented and happy in her own inscrutable cat like way.

Outside the snow continued to fall and inside the warm cabin two figures lay stretched out in front of the fireplace, the leaping flames casting shadows on the cream coloured walls.

Mulder and Alex lay, cocooned within that warmth, and each other.

xx

Part 5: Nothing Chanced, Nothing Gained

ONE

Alex awoke to the smell of frying bacon. Slowly he sat up, wincing a little, god, how long had he been asleep?

He glanced out the window and noticed it was light outside...well as light as the heavy gray snow clouds would allow.

He got to his feet and reached over to grab his jeans and pull them on.

He wandered into the kitchen to be greeted by the sight of a freshly showered and dressed Mulder cooking bacon and eggs in a cast iron skillet, while feeding tidbits to Natty.

The large black cat was perched up on the counter nibbling at the bits of bacon that Mulder had trimmed and placed in front of her.

He looked up and smiled as Alex entered the room.

"Good morning." He said cheerfully. "I hope bacon and eggs are okay, oh and I made some coffee as well." He nodded towards the coffee maker. "Pour me a cup too will you."

"Okay." Alex took down two mugs from the cupboard while Mulder scooped the food onto plates and carried it over to the table.

Seeing that her human was finally awake, Natty padded over to rub herself against him, back arching with feline joy.

"Hey there girl." Alex said, scratching Natty behind one black ear. "How are you this morning, hmmm?"

A rusty sounding purr erupted as she pressed herself up against her human, letting him know that he was forgiven for sleeping in instead of being up to get her breakfast.

Alex poured the two mug of steaming black coffee and carried it over to the table, Natty following close behind.

"How did you sleep last night?" Mulder asked him, his eyes crinkling the edges as he gave Alex a mischievous grin.

"Just fine thank you." Alex replied, almost formally. "Here's your coffee."

"And here's your kiss." Before Alex could react, Mulder leaned forward and planted a kiss onto the younger man's lips.

Startled, Alex went to pull back, but instead melted into the passionate kiss, his heart thumping almost painfully in his chest.

Finally Mulder broke the embrace, sitting back in his chair to observe the younger man.

Alex blinked at Mulder for a moment, clearly dazed.

"Wow."

That drew a laugh from Mulder. "I give you one of my best kisses and that's all you have to say?"

"Well, how about wowie wow wow." Alex replied, doing his best Christopher Walken impersonation.

"That's better." With that Mulder began to dig into his bacon and eggs, while Natty sat in the middle of the floor, both humans forgotten as she became totally absorbed in grooming herself.

Alex watched her with amusement. "I wonder if she's getting herself ready for a big date." He joked.

Mulder chuckled. "Alex, we are out in the middle of the wilderness, I doubt there would be any other cats around for miles."

"Well, I guess she's out of luck then... aren't you girl?" Alex replied.

Natasha stopped cleaning her whiskers long enough to direct a glare at her human, then tail in the air, she stalked out of the room, making her disgust quite clear.

"Oops, I think I upset her." Alex said, a huge grin spreading across his handsome features.

"Uh oh." Mulder replied. "You're in trouble with her Highness now."

With that, both men burst into laughter, the sounds of their mirth loud in the otherwise quiet room.

Finally, their laughter subsiding into giggles, they both managed to get themselves under control.

Together they finished their breakfasts, sitting in companionable silence, as the snow ticked off the window panes.

xx

TWO

"So what's on the agenda for today?" Alex asked they he dried the last dish and stacked it with the others up in the cupboard.

Mulder shrugged. "Not a real lot." He replied, as he glanced out the kitchen window. "It looks like this weather has pretty much set in."

Alex nodded, then yawned, he was still tired from last night.

"You look like you could use a couple of hours in bed." Mulder remarked as he hung the now cleaned and oiled skillet back on it's hook along with all the other pots and pans.

Alex yawned again, then shook his head. "Yeah, not a bad idea, but I could do with a shower first."

Suddenly Mulder turned and gathered Alex into his arms, nuzzling his neck. "Only if I get to take one with you."

Alex smiled as he leaned into the embrace. "I don't think that will be a problem."

xx

THREE

The steaming hot water sluiced down over their glistening skin as the two men made love under the shower, the steam rising up all around them .

Mulder kissed and nipped at every inch of bare wet flesh of his beautiful young lover, determined to drive him out of his mind.

Alex moaned, helpless under the barrage of sensation as the slightly older and definitely more experienced man pinned him against the wet tiles of the shower recess, exploring every bit of Alex's lean body.

Sensing that the younger man was more than ready, Mulder gently turned him around, bending him over slightly so that he could slip his finger inside his most intimate opening.

He heard Alex gasp and smiled to himself, oh he was ready all right. Picking up the small tube of lube that Mulder had thought to bring into the shower with them, he applied the cool gel to the younger man's rectum and then being as gentle as possible, slid his engorged cock inside the warm opening.

With a strangled cry, Alex threw his head back, hand blinding groping at the metal shelf that held the soap and bottles of shampoo. He gripped at it, steadying himself as Mulder's thrusts penetrated deep inside him.

"Oohh, god." He moaned, his own penis erect, the tiny slit already beginning to weep pre-cum. "Oh Foxsss."

Mulder's own cries mingled with Alex's as his climax grew in urgency. Reaching around, he grasped Alex cock and began stroking it, his hand pumping the hardened shaft while Alex leaned back against him, his ass pushing back against Mulder's thighs as he was impaled on the other man's cock.

A sudden and merciless thrust against his prostate sent Alex over the edge and with a cry, he came, hot semen spurting over Mulder's hand. Mulder own cock responded and soon he was emptying his own seed deep inside Alex's rectum.

Exhausted now, both men leaned against each other, allowing the hot water to wash all evidence of their coupling away.

xx

FOUR

Natasha padded into the bedroom, ears twitching as she gazed around the quiet room. The sound of gentle snoring emanating from the two quilt covered lumps in the bed.

Curious now, she leapt lightly up onto the bed and after sniffing around the entwined bodies of both her humans, she settled herself down for a catnap, the very picture of feline contentment.

FIVE Alex stacked a couple of logs onto the fire, watching with satisfaction as the flames licked around the blackening wood.

"Here we are." Mulder said cheerfully as he walked into the living room. "Popcorn, and cranberry juice."

"Cranberry juice?" Alex cocked an eyebrow at the other man.

"Sparkling cranberry juice, no less." Mulder replied.

He saw the look on the younger man's face and grinned. "I found it at the back of the fridge, I hope you like it."

"Hope I like it, hell, I didn't even know sparkling cranberry juice existed." Alex replied.

Mulder poured them both a glass and Alex sipped at it gingerly, then his face cleared. "Hey, this isn't too bad."

They clinked their glasses together and drained the rest of the contents. Mulder smacking his lips in approval.

"You're right." He remarked. "Not bad at all."

They settled onto the couch, the huge bowl of popcorn on the coffee table in front of them. Mulder had selected a video from a small but very good collection on the bookcase, and slid it into the VCR.

They both sat back to watch the movie, neat little thriller that soon had the both of them completely absorbed. Natasha had curled herself onto Alex's lap, allowing her human to pet her sleek black fur.

Suddenly the phone rang, Alex glanced at it. "Must be either Skinner or Scully." Mulder remarked as he reached over and picked it up.

"Hello, Mulder speaking." He said.

He listened for a moment, then grinned. "Okay, I'll see you then." With that, he hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" Alex asked, Mulder could see a faint trace of worry in his green eyes.

"Relax, it was just Scully, she's driving up here tomorrow, she just wants to check you over, make sure your injury's healing properly."

Alex sighed. "Look Fox, there's no need for her to drive up all this way. I'm fine, really." He spread his arms wide, showing the other man exactly how fine he was.

"You may be feeling okay Alex, but it's important that you have that injury checked anyway." Mulder told him firmly. "Scully was right, it was nasty wound and you had lost a lot of blood, the only reason that she agreed to us bringing you up here was the fact that she could check up on you, make sure that you are all right."

Alex frowned. "I don't want her coming up here Fox." He replied, his voice taking on a rather sullen tone now.

"Well that's too bad for you." Mulder said with a shrug. "She's leaving first thing tomorrow morning. She should get here sometime after lunch."

"What about the weather, it was snowing pretty heavily." Alex said. "It might not be safe for her to drive up here by herself."

"The snow's eased off and the weather station was reporting clearer conditions for the next few days so there really shouldn't be a problem." Mulder replied. "And besides, she's not traveling alone, she's bringing AD Skinner with her."

Mulder took one look at the expression on Alex's face and chuckled. "Come on Alex, cheer up, they are bringing some fresh supplies with them as well."

Alex sighed. "They both hate me you know." He muttered under his breath. Mulder glanced at him, his eyes sharp, taking in the young man sitting beside him, cat curled up on his lap.

"You can change that you know Alex." He replied, his voice soft. Alex looked at him, then sighed.

"How so Fox?"

"You offered to help us defeat the Consortium, do that and you might eventually get them to change their opinion of you."

Alex laughed. "Like you've changed your opinion of me?" He asked.

Mulder grinned back at him. "Well, let's just say I have gotten to see a whole different side of you."

"Especially in the shower." Alex replied, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Mulder laughed aloud at that. "Brat."

"What makes you say that?" Alex asked innocently, then leaning over Natty's curled up body, scooped up some popcorn and tossed it at the other man.

"Argg, Alex!" Mulder yelled as he ducked the pieces of popcorn. Lifting the now awake Natty off his lap, Alex got up off the couch and quickly grabbing more popcorn tossed it at Mulder, watching the yellow kernels bounce off him.

"That's it buddy, your butt's toast." Mulder said with a laugh. Alex ducked around the side of the couch, managing to avoid the other man, his eyes dancing with laughter.

"Too slow Fox." He taunted taking a step back, but it was no good, with the speed of a natural athlete, Mulder grabbed Alex by both of his wrists and hauled him back over to the couch.

Before Alex could protest, he found himself face down over Mulder's knees.

"Hey what are you doing?" He yelled, trying to struggle up, but he was pinned down by a hand planted firmly into the middle of his long back.

"Teaching you a very valuable lesson." Mulder told him, a wicked gleam in his eyes. "Now what do we have here." He said as he slowly pulled down the track suit pants that Alex was wearing, followed by his black underwear.

"Fox, cut it out!" Alex protested, his struggles becoming more frantic, but it was no good, he was completely off balance now, dangling over the taller man's knees.

"I always thought this cute little bottom could do with some more colour in it." Mulder replied grinning evilly. He raised his hand and brought it down sharply onto the pristine cheek.

Satisfied at the yelp that the the smack elicited, Mulder continued to spank every inch of the wiggling bottom draped over his lap, in front of him.

Alex for his part gasped and yelped, his cock already hardening against the Mulder's thighs, as his need grew inside of him. Oh god but he wanted...no needed Fox inside him right now.

Mulder could feel Alex's erection as he leisurely swatted the rapidly warming buttocks, the slaps making the skin tingle deliciously.

Moaning now, Alex writhed, beads of sweat popping up over his forehead and upper lip, his-almost-but-not-quite-sore bottom flexing with his movements.

"Have I warmed your bottom enough for you?" Mulder asked, his own voice husky with desire now. He had now given up the spanking in favour of rubbing slow circles over the reddened skin.

Alex whimpered, beyond words as he felt the hand move from his rump to his cock, fingers gently stroking up and down.

"Please Fox." He whimpered helplessly. "Oh sweet Jesus...please."

"What's wrong Alex?" Mulder asked him teasingly, still gently massaging the plump, well rounded buttocks. "Hmm, what do you want?"

"Fuck me." Alex begged, he craned his head around to look at his sweet tormentor. "Please Fox, I want to feel your cock inside me...right now!"

With one swift motion, Alex suddenly found himself in his feet. Without a word, he stepped out of his pants and underwear, standing half naked before Mulder. His cock, fully erect, standing out against the black nest of curls between his legs.

Mulder reached over and pulled Alex's sweater off, tossing it onto the couch, then stepped back in order to admire him.

"God but you are magnificent." He breathed, swept away by sheer beauty of the naked young man, the light of the fire playing over him, illuminating the velvet smooth skin a luster of it's own.

Alex stepped forward into Mulder's arms, dark head resting against his shoulder. "Can we make love now?" His whisper was almost plaintive.

That was enough to send a surge of pure lust through Mulder, leading the younger man by the hand, he drew him down onto the rug in front of the fireplace and there they both spent the rest of the evening exploring each other's bodies with hands and lips and tongues.

The movie played on in the background, completely forgotten now as both men joined, their cries mingling with the urgency of their lovemaking.

Natty watched the proceedings and bored, she padded lightly out of the room and into the kitchen in search of some food and possibly a nice plump mouse to keep her amused, while both her humans did that thing that they seemed to be doing nonstop since they arrived here.

Not that she minded though, after all it kept them happy and out of her way so that she could explore her surroundings uninterrupted.

She started to walk over to her bowl of food, when a sudden noise stopped her, turning her head towards the back door, she watched, backing away as the door handle turned.

She growled, fur standing up on end, her claws fully extended as two heavyset intruders entered the cabin.

With a yowl, Natty launched herself at the nearest one, only to be batted away, her body hitting the side of the counter with a sickening thump.

"Fucking cat!" The assassin spat, putting his hand up to his cheek, feeling the blood run down from the deep parallel scratches that Natty had left there.

"Shh." The other man hushed him abruptly. Then taking a heavy looking handgun out of the pocket of his thick sheepskin coat, he slipped the safety off and together they entered the living room, leaving Natty lying crumpled on the cold tiles of the kitchen floor.

xx

Part 6: No More Chances

ONE

"What the hell was that?"

Both Alex and Mulder heard the piercing yowl and the muffled curse coming from the kitchen. In one swift motion, Alex was up on his feet and and straight over to the desk were Mulder kept a couple of guns.

Grabbing the heavy Glock, he headed towards the door that led to the kitchen...then stopped.

Two large men, both dressed in heavy outdoor gear, and both holding guns, stepped into the room. Their weapons pointed straight at Alex and Mulder.

"Put the fucking gun down Krycek." The bigger of the two men snarled. Alex's lips quirked up in a ice cold smile. "Well if it isn't Heckle and Jeckle." He sneered, still holding the gun.

The other man stepped forward, his face reddening with anger. "Shut your fucking mouth and drop the fucking gun and I'll blow a hole right through your little fuck buddy over here." He waved the gun towards Mulder, who had now gotten to his feet.

"Yeah." The bigger man said with an ugly grin, taking in the naked state of both men. "What have you two little queer boys been up toin here. Christ but this place smells like a fucking whorehouse." He sniffed a couple of times as if to emphasis his point.

Alex shrugged, his shoulders moving easily. "Not much else to do up here in the middle of nowhere, now is there."

The second assassin barked a harsh laugh. "I always suspected that you were a fag Krycek."

"Who are you, who sent you here?" Mulder asked, breaking into the pleasant little tete-a-tete.

"Their names are Franklin and Largisson, they work for the Smoking Man." Alex replied. Then he turned back to the two men. "Isn't that right boys."

The bigger one, Largisson raised his gun higher, aiming it directly at Alex's chest.

"Tell me Krycek, do you want to die naked, or dressed, hmmm?"

Alex shrugged again. "I don't really care, but it might look better for Mulder here if we both had some clothes on. You know how those guys at the Bureau like to ask awkward questions."

"Yeah." Franklin said, his grin widening. "It's just too bad that both you guys won't be alive to answer 'em."

"Get your clothes on then, and hurry the fuck up." Largisson growled, he turned his head slightly and Alex saw the scratch marks on the bigger man's cheek.

Lips pressed tightly together, Alex walked over to the couch to get his clothes. He watched as Mulder bent down to pick up his own things off the floor.

Alex pulled his own clothes on, his mind racing, then he noticed that Largisson had turned his head to say something to his buddy.

Grabbing the moment, Alex snatched the bowl of popcorn up. "Hey fellas!"

Both of them turned towards him, to be hit full in the face with the popcorn. Seeing his chance, Mulder dived for the nearest man and tackled him to the hard wooden floor. A couple of well placed punches and Franklin was out for the count.

"Fucking asshole!" Largisson roared, he lifted his gun to shoot, only to have a half full bottle of sparkling cranberry juice heaved straight at his head.

He ducked and Alex dived across the table, grabbed the assassin, spun him around and in one swift motion, broke his neck. Mulder heard the sickening crack from where he was across the room.

Largisson's lifeless corpse hit the floor with a boneless thud. Then stepping over the top of him, Alex grabbed Franklin's unconscious form and with another quick movement, broke his neck as well.

Wiping the sweat off his forehead, Alex straightened up, Mulder noticed that a red stain had appeared on the side of his sweater. The dive acros the table had torn several stitches in the woud in his side.

"Alex, you're bleeding."

Alex glanced down at the bright blossom of blood. "It's nothing, don't worry about it." He told Mulder. "I have to find Natty."

"You do that while I call Skinner and tell him what's happened here." Mulder replied. Needing no further encouragement, Alex headed straight to the kitchen.

He spotted the small body lying on the floor and a chill swept through him, she looked so...still.

He moved forward to kneel beside the cat, stretching his hand out to touch her fur. "Oh Natty girl, what did those bastards do to you?"

He could hear Mulder's voice dimly somewhere in the background as he spoke to Skinner on the phone, other than that, there was no other sound. Natty was dead.

Suddenly Alex threw his head back, a scream of pure rage and grief ripping from his throat, from the very depths of his soul.

The sound faded echoing around the large dimly lit kitchen and Alex tenderly gathered the heavy black body into him arms and clutching her to him, he rocked

back and forth, tears of pure grief.

"Oh Natty." He whimpered, holding the still form to him. "Please don't leave me, I can't be alone again...I can't. Please don't... don't go away from me, I need you."

Suddenly a soft sound emanated from the furry body, a raspy cough. Alex stopped instantly.

"Nat?" A tiny ray of hope as slender as a thread grew. "Nat, Natty....?"

One golden eye opened and incredibly Natty began to purr.

"Alex?" Mulder was standing in the doorway, the grieving man's scream had summoned him instantly. "Alex, are you okay?" He took an uncertain step further into the room.

"She's still alive Fox." He said, looking up at the other man with red rimmed eyes. "She's still alive but we have to get her to a vet...now."

"And you to a doctor." Mulder replied. "Get some clean towels and lets get the fuck out here."

After Alex had wrapped Natty up in the towels to try and keep her warm, they pulled on their heavy overcoats and boots and left the cabin, heading to the car. Alex carried Natty, half crouching over her to try and protect her from the falling snow. They climbed into car and headed towards the small town below.

xx

TWO

The vet, Dr Owens was an elderly and rather stout man who did not take kindly to being woken up in the middle of the night. He grumped and complained as he unlocked the surgery that was actually in the front part of the old house he lived in.

Alex pushed past the vet and carried Natty into the surgery, laying her carefully down onto the operating table.

Mulder stood by watching, his teeth worrying at his bottom lip. The vet began to examine Natty, stopping now and again to make a clucking noise, or give a sorrowful shake of his nearly bald head.

"Well Dr Owens?" Alex asked, trying to keep the impatience out of his voice. "Is she going to be all right?"

"Hard to say." Dr Owens replied. "She's taken a pretty nasty blow by the look of it. How hard did you hit the poor little thing anyway?"

"Hit her!" Alex roared. "I never hit her you fucking stupid son of a..."

"Alex!" Mulder stepped forward, grasping the enraged man by the arm. "Alex, calm down, okay." He glanced over at the vet apologetically "Sorry about that, it's just that we are both worried about Natasha."

"Not a problem." Dr Owens replied mildly. "Well, why don't both you young fellas go on out and let me see what I can do for this little lady then?" He glanced over at the bloodstain on the thick material of Alex's coat. "It looks as though you could use a little medical attention yourself."

Alex looked down at the stain, the elderly vet was right, the bleeding was definitely getting worse, it had seeped right through his shirt and sweater to the overcoat. It had actually stopped while he had been in the car but the warmth of the surgery had started the bleeding once more

"Where's the nearest hospital around here?" Mulder asked. Dr Owens glanced up from his small patient lying on the table.

"There's a clinic down the road from here, they'll be able to take of your young friend here."

After thanking him, Mulder took Alex by the arm and led him gently from the room.

"I don't want to go Fox." He protested as the door swung shut behind them. "I need to stay here with Natty..."

"No Alex." Mulder cut him off firmly. "What you need to do is have a doctor look at your side and right now, before you end up bleeding to death." With that, he helped Alex out of the surgery and out to the car, Alex still protesting, even as Mulder opened the car door and pushed him gently into the passenger seat.

They drove to the clinic in silence, Alex worried sick about Natasha, and Mulder worried sick about Alex.

There was one doctor on duty, a young woman, her soft brown hair tied up in a tight bun at the nape of her neck. She ushered them both into the modern and rather sterile looking surgery, helping Alex up onto the padded examination table in order to take a look at the freshly opened wound.

She turned, noticing that Mulder was still in the room. "I'm afraid you will have to leave Sir." She said in a brisk no nonsense tone. "You can wait outside."

Mulder glanced at Alex, concerned. "Will you be okay?" He asked. Alex nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine Fox." He replied, his voice sounded forced and Mulder realized that younger man was in real pain, and yet he had put his own health second to that of his cat.

"Okay then, I'll be right outside." Mulder assured him and left the room, allowing the doctor to patch his young lover up again.

He was just about to sit down in one of the hard comfortable looking chairs in the waiting room, when his cell phone rang. Mulder grabbed it out of his coat pocket and held it up to his ear.

"Mulder speaking."

"Mulder, it's me Skinner, Agent Scully and I are traveling up to the cabin right now, where are you?"

"At the clinic here in the the town, by the look of it, I think Alex tore his wound open again. The doctor's taking a look at him now as a matter of fact."

"Okay then." Skinner replied. "I'll handle things at the cabin. After Krycek is patched up I want both you and him to take rooms at the local motel, use your badge if you have to but whatever you do, don't come back to the cabin. Scully and I will bring you clean clothes and whatever else it is you need. Have you got that?"

"Loud and clear Sir." Mulder replied. "I'll see you as soon as I can." With that he broke the connection and tucked the cell phone back into the pocket of his heavy overcoat, then he settled down to wait for the doctor to finish with Alex

xx

THREE

The motel room was clean and neat and just like every other motel room he had ever stayed in. Because of the holiday season, there had only been one room left, a double but neither Mulder nor Alex minded sharing.

As it had turned out, the wound on Alex's left side had not been too badly damaged, a few torn stitches, easily replaced. The doctor had scolded Alex for not taking better care of the wound, and had carefully cleaned and stitched it back up. After placing a thick padded bandage over the wound, she had ordered him to return in the next couple of days in order for her to check it.

The doctor had asked Alex how he had gotten the wound in the first place and he had fobbed her off with some story about an attempted mugging at knifepoint. She seemed to accept the explanation, well at least she did not ask any more questions about it.

Alex walked over to the bed and gingerly lowered himself down onto it, reaching over to the phone. He dialed the operator and after being put through, asked the number of the vet's surgery. He listened for a moment, then after hanging up, quickly dialed the number given.

Mulder could hear the distant, almost like insect buzz as the phone on the other end of the line rang. After a couple of minutes, it was picked up.

"Hello, Dr Owen, it's Alex Krycek, I brought my cat to you a couple of...yes, yes, that's right. Look I need to know, is she going to be all right I...." He stopped, listening as the other voice spoke. Alex nodded. "Yes, yes, that's great, thank you. Thank you." With that he hung up the phone and turned to Mulder, who had come over to sit on the bed beside him.

"It was touch and go, but he thinks that she's going to pull through." Alex said, his voice hoarse. "Oh god Fox, she's going to be okay." With that, the dam burst and all the pent up emotions that he had been holding back were released, and Alex leaned his head against Mulder's shoulder and wept.

Mulder smiled with gentle fondness as he wrapped his arms around the physically and emotionally exhausted young man, holding him close as he cried, murmuring soothing nonsense words while he stroked the silky dark hair away from Alex's face.

After a while, the weeping subsided into hitching sobs and Alex's eyes closed. Mulder listened as the younger man's breathing evened out. The pain and worry had taken their toll and exhausted, Alex finally drifted into a deep slumber, his head still resting against Mulder's shoulder.

As gently as he could, Mulder managed to get Alex undressed and under the blankets, making sure that he was as comfortable as possible. Alex mumbled drowsily but did not wake up.

Mulder then stripped his own clothes off, thought briefly about jumping under the shower, then dismissed the thought, he was too dammed tired himself. After making sure that his weapon was within easy reach in the drawer of the small night stand beside the bed, he settled down beside Alex, feeling the warmth coming from his young lover's body.

He closed his eyes but it was some time later that sleep finally overtook him.

xx

FOUR

A sharp pounding invaded the vaguely troubled dreams and slowly brought Mulder out of of his sleep. Groggily, he sat up in bed, the blankets falling away from his chest.

"Agent Mulder? Are you in there?" It was AD Skinner.

"Yeah Sir, just a minute." Mulder called out. He climbed out of bed, aware that Alex was still asleep, snuggled under the covers.

Mulder pulled his jeans on and unlocked the door of the motel room. Both Skinner and Scully were standing outside, huddled against the cold. A fresh fall of snow covered the parking lot outside.

"Come on in Sir, Scully. Mulder said, stepping back to allow them entry into the room.

Skinner stepped inside, sharp brown eyes behind his wirerim glasses, taking everything in, including the lump under the blankets.

He turned to his agent, face neutral. "You couldn't get a room with two single beds?"

"This is the only room they had left Sir, this being the holiday season and all." Mulder replied, matching his boss's bland tone.

Skinner nodded and said nothing more on the subject, deciding it was better to leave the subject alone, for the moment at least.

"I will need your full report on this incident Agent Mulder." The AD told his agent gruffly. "And we are going to have to move Krycek to a different location now that the Consortium has discovered the cabin."

Mulder nodded, running his hand through his sleep mussed hair, Christ but he needed a long hot shower, and some coffee wouldn't exactly go astray either

A sound from the bed made them the three of them turn around. Alex was sitting up, blinking owlishly at them.

"When did you guys get here?" He mumbled, trying to suppress a yawn.

"Agent Scully and I arrived early this morning, we went straight to the cabin first." Skinner informed the ex assassin. "Tell me Krycek, can you identify those two men that you left up there?"

Alex nodded. "Yeah, they both work for Spender, those were the two of the guys that jumped me the first time. Spender must have known that Mulder and I were staying at the cabin."

"It seems there's there's not a lot he doesn't know about." Scully remarked quietly. She turned to Skinner, looking up at the tall man standing beside her.

"I would like to examine Krycek Sir, Make sure that the wound isn't becoming infected or anything."

"Go ahead Agent, then after the both of them are dressed and ready, we head back to DC."

Alex looked up at the Assistant Director, his eyes widening. "We can't leave yet, Natty's still at the vet's."

"What?" Skinner turned to Mulder, obviously confused.

Mulder quickly filled his boss in on what happened the night before, and about Natasha's injury.

Skinner listened, then turned back to Alex, his face set in stern, no nonsense lines.

"I am sorry to hear about your cat Krycek, but you can't stay here. Spender knows your whereabouts now and I would say at a rough guess that he also knows that you killed two of his assassins. It's no longer safe for you , I am going to have to place you into a more secure facility."

"I'm not leaving Natty here, not by herself." Alex replied coldly. "And that's final."

"Well I am sorry about that Krycek, but you no longer have a choice in this." Skinner answered him. "Agent Scully here is going to check you over to make sure that you've been patched up properly, then you are going to get yourself dressed and we leave. I'll send someone up to the cabin later to collect your things for you both."

"No." Alex replied. "I'm not leaving Natty, I don't care what you say Skinner, I'm staying here until she's strong enough to travel and then she and I are disappearing...for good."

"No Alex." Skinner said, deliberately using the younger man's first name. "The deal has changed. There are two dead men that have to be accounted for, and there's still the agreement that we made, that in exchange for our protection, you would help us with information concerning the Consortium."

"Fuck the deal." Alex suddenly snarled. With a quick motion, he was out of the bed and standing in front of the three FBI agents, dressed only in his black boxer shorts. The white bandage standing out against his skin.

"Alex..." Mulder began, but Alex whirled on him, sharply cutting him off.

"I'm not leaving without Natty Fox.' He said, his eyes dark with steadily building anger. "If you want to go back with Skinner and Scully fine, but I am staying here and that's final. Now would you all mind, I would like to have a shower and get dressed, I have to be at the vet's to see how she's doing."

Skinner stared at Alex for a moment, his face speculative, then said. "I'm afraid in that case Alex, you leave me no choice."

Before anyone could react, Skinner stepped forward and with a speed that belied his size, he grabbed Alex, spun him around and slapped a pair of handcuffs around the younger man's wrists.

"You fucking prick!" Alex roared as he struggled futilely against the larger man's grip. "You can't do this Skinner! You fucking can't!"

"I can, and I have." Skinner replied, his voice implacable. "We are taking you back to DC Alex, that way we can put you somewhere that you will be safe, that's all there is too it."

Alex stopped struggling, then looked up at Mulder, his eyes pleading. "Fox, please don't let him do this...please."

Mulder shook his head helplessly. "Alex, you can't stay here, AD Skinner's right, it's not safe anymore. We have to get you away from here. Look, I'll call Doctor Owen, I'll tell him that you were called back to the city on an emergency, I'll ask him if he can keep Natty just until she's able to travel. I'm sure he'll agree."

Alex stared at Mulder for seconds that seemed to stretch on forever, his eyes filled with dark wounded hurt.

"It will be all right Alex, I swear it." Mulder told him, trying to reassure Alex, but knowing that it was doing no good.

"You bastard Mulder." Alex hissed. "I thought you were different, but you are just like the rest of them. Just another fucking goddammed government stuffed shirt, that's all you are... all you'll ever be."

Mulder closed his eyes for a moment, feeling the hurt rise up in his throat at Alex's words. He watched silently as both Skinner and Scully helped the incensed young man into some fresh jeans and some shoes. They had packed some clean clothes for them both from the cabin and brought them to the motel, then wrapping the heavy coat around Alex's naked shoulders, the AD steered the younger man to the front door.

"Come on Mulder." Scully said as she laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "The sooner we get you both back to the city, the better." His partner and friend knew instinctively that there was a hell of a lot more going on here, but she said nothing, knowing that the best thing she could do right now was leave it be, let them work it out on their own later.

"I have to drop by the vet"." Mulder told her his voice hoarse.

Scully nodded. "Okay, just let me square it away with Skinner first, while you get dressed." She added pointedly.

Mulder nodded, then turned away, to get some clean clothes out of the bag, hoping that his partner could not see the tears in his eyes.

xx

Part 7: Chances Lost

ONE

The tension in the car was thick enough to slice through with a blunt knife. Alex sat in the back seat, still handcuffed, although they had pulled over and taken them off long enough to allow him to pull on a shirt and thick pullover. After all it would not look good for the Assistant Director of the FBI to bring back the man they were supposed to be protecting half frozen and suffering from hypothermia.

Mulder sat next to him, silent and brooding, casting the younger man a troubled glance every now and again, but Alex sat, as cold and still as if he had been carved out of stone.

Skinner made the detour to the vet's, allowing Mulder to speak to Dr Owens. Natty' recovery was slow, she had sustained some internal damage as well as a broken hind leg, but she was on the mend.

Mulder had been allowed to visit her, patting her through the bars of the cage that she was in while she made her recovery. She had purred weakly, pleased to see her second human, rubbing her head against his hand. But it was clear that it was Alex she wanted.

"It's okay Natty girl." Mulder said softly as he stoked her soft fur. "I'll come back and get you as soon as you can travel, that's a promise...okay?"

Natty meowed plaintively as Mulder turned and walked back into Dr Owens office.

The elderly vet looked up from his old fashioned ledger, giving the younger man a smile. "That's one tough little lady you and your friend have there." He said. "Most cats don't pull through those kind of injuries, their bodies are just too fragile, they usually go into shock and die. She's a very lucky lady indeed."

"Yes, she is." Mulder replied.

"And how is your friend, get himself patched up all right?" Dr Owens asked.

"Yes, he just need a couple of stitches." Mulder replied. "Now about the bill."

"Ah yes." Dr Owens pulled the ledger closer to him. "Here it is, now for the surgery and anesthetic, and the fact I had to call my nurse in to assist. The antibiotics and she's going to have to stay here at least a week for observation, three hundred and eighty dollars should cover it."

Mulder swallowed hard, his face visibly paling. "Uh, do you take credit cards?"

After the bill had been settled, Mulder explained that urgent business summoned both himself and Alex back to DC.

"I will be back within a week to pick her up though." He assured the doctor, who nodded.

"That won't be a problem young man." He replied. "Like I said, I would have to keep her that long anyway, some vets push 'em in and out like they are on an assembly line or something, but not me, I like to make sure all my patients are healing up properly."

Mulder nodded then offered his hand to the old man, who took it in a surprisingly strong grip.

"Well take care young fella, you and that young man of yours, and I'll be seeing you in a week's time."

Mulder had to repress a smile at the 'you and that young man of yours', then the smile faded, was Alex still his 'young man'? Not wanting to think about it, Mulder bade the vet good-bye, and left the surgery.

Skinner, Scully and Alex were still sitting in the car waiting for him. He climbed into the back seat and Skinner started the car, heading back towards the city once more.

"How's Natty?" Alex broke the tense silence, his concern for her overriding his fury at being handcuffed and forcibly taken back to DC.

Happy just to hear him speak, Mulder replied. "She's fine Alex, Dr Owens says that she is making a full recovery and that we will be able to take her home in a week... I paid the bill." He finished somewhat lamely as Alex turned to stare out of the window at the scenery rushing by.

"Thanks Mulder." Alex replied coldly. "I promise I'll give you the money back as soon as I can."

No more Fox, it was back to Mulder now, just great, he thought as he sat back feeling the warmth of the vinyl through the thick material of his jumper. Skinner had the car heater up full blast. Then no longer being able to stand the silence, he spoke to Scully.

"How are my fish going?"

She turned her head to give him a smile. "They are just fine Mulder, I have been going to your apartment everyday to feed them just like I said I would."

"Thanks Scully, I owe you." He replied with a grin.

"Mulder if I had a nickel for every time you said that..."

"I know, I know." Mulder said. He glanced over at Alex again, he was still staring out of the car window, his face hidden from view.

Oh Alex, please talk to me. Mulder silently pleaded. Please let me know that you still want to be with me...please.

But Alex sat stiff and silent, unrelenting in his anger and his grief.

xx

TWO

"This is where you are going to be staying until further notice." Skinner explained as he unlocked the door to Alex's new home, at least for the time being.

Alex stepped into the room, looking around, then turned to the bigger man, holding his cuffed hands out in front of him.

"Are you going to take these off now?"

Skinner gave him a grim smile. "Are you going to be any more trouble?"

Alex shook his head. "No, I won't be."

"Okay then." Skinner pulled the key out of his pocket and unlocked the cuffs, taking them off the slender wrists of the younger man standing in front of him.

"Thanks." Alex said gruffly as he rubbed at the faint red marks on his wrists. "So this is where I'm going to be staying from here on in, is it?"

"Until it's safe for you, yes." Skinner replied. "I know it's not as nice as the cabin, but it's a lot more secure. You'll be comfortable here, and Agent Mulder will still be assigned to protect you."

"That's no longer necessary Skinner." Alex said with a coolness that cut through Mulder's heart. He and Scully had entered the small safehouse apartment right

behind Skinner and Alex, listening to the exchange between the Assistant Director and the ex-Consortium operative..

"I'll decide what's necessary and what's not." Skinner replied in full AD mode now. Alex's face flushed, he felt exactly like he did the day he had joined the the X Files as a young and very green agent, having to report to Skinner nearly every day. It was though he had taken a step back in time.

"I told you Krycek, the less people know that you are here, the better. Besides Mulder has already been assigned and I see no reason to change that now, unless you have a specific objection of course."

One that you'll just ignore of course you prick. Alex thought bitterly, but aloud he said. "Yeah, yeah, okay whatever."

"Good, as long as it's settled then." Skinner said, satisfied. "You'll stay here as long as we deem it necessary, you are not under arrest, but we need to keep you as safe as possible so you understand that you are not permitted to come and go as you please, anything you need will be provided for you, all you need to do is ask."

Alex nodded, the expression on his face was positively grim. At least at the cabin he had the illusion of freedom, but here in this tiny bland looking little flat, there was none at all.

"There are two bedrooms, you will be assigned one and Agent Mulder will be assigned the other." Skinner continued, seemingly unaware of the tension that had descended on the room.

"Oh and one more thing Alex." He had returned to using Alex's first name again. "You can't keep any pets here, I'm sorry but the safe house here just isn't equipped for it."

Alex said nothing, wrapping his arms around himself as though he were cold, he wandered over to the heavily barred window, gazing out into the snow covered courtyard below.

"Alex..." He heard Skinner say softly behind him. "This place isn't a prison, you know that... don't you."

Alex gave a stiff nod, his face still turned turned away from the three of them.

Skinner walked over to where the young man stood and unable to think of anything else to say, he reached out and gave Alex what he hoped was a reassuring pat on the shoulder, then he turned and after a brief word to Mulder, left the apartment with Scully in tow.

xx

THREE

"Well, here we are." Mulder said jovially as he sat down next to Alex, the younger man said nothing. He was seated on the low couch, his eyes glued steadily to the television.

It had been over three hours since Skinner and Scully had left them both alone in the safe house apartment and in that time Alex had not said one thing to Mulder and the silence was starting to drive him crazy.

"Hey, you know something, I'm starved." He said, changing tactics. "How about I order some pizza for the both of us. Something with extra cheese, how does that sound."

Nothing, not even a shrug.

"Okay, pizza it is, and some coke, or beer, what would you prefer?"

"Whatever." Alex replied shortly, eyes still on the tv screen.

Mulder sighed inwardly, okay, this was going to be tough but he was determined to break through Alex's hostility no matter what.

"I'll order the pizza." He reached over and picked up the phone, dialing the code to get an outside line.

Alex sat leaning against the arm of the couch, uncomfortably aware of Mulder's proximity.

He had been trying to avoid conversation with Mulder as much as possible, but it was not easy, the confines of the apartment making it difficult, if not downright impossible to avoid having to deal with other man. And to make things worse, it seemed that Mulder was intent on making Alex acknowledge him no matter what.

He listened, bemused as Mulder spoke into the phone, ordering what sounded like enough food to feed an army.

"It should be here soon." Mulder remarked after he placed the handset back down.

Alex nodded, then biting his lower lip, turned back to the television, trying to lose himself in some inane documentary about some long dead poet.

Mulder sat beside him, watching the screen, a small crease furrowing his brow as he tried to concentrate on what was being said. The narrator, a small dry little man spoke in a clipped British accent, pointing out the finer points on poetry technique back in the eighteenth century. He stole a sidelong glance at Alex. Surely he could not be interested in this.

He noticed how stiff and straight the younger man was sitting against the couch, carefully keeping a space between himself and Mulder.

With a sigh, he got up, may as well let Alex have the couch to himself. He wandered over to the same window that Alex had been staring out of before, noticing that the snow had started again outside. It was dark now and the brightly lit courtyard glittered, the snow transforming the usually dreary concrete covered space into something out of a child's fairy tale book.

"It's started snowing again." Mulder said in a half hearted attempt to try and draw Alex into a conversation once more. Alex grunted, eyes still fixed on the screen.

"Looks like it's really set in."

Another grunt.

Suddenly Mulder felt a real wave of anger flow over him. How dare Alex blame him for all this. Was it his fault that the AD decided that the cabin wasn't safe for them any more? Was it his fault that Natty had gotten hurt? Was it his fault that they'd had to leave her behind? Damn, but he was not going to be ignored like this any more.

He had to fight down the sudden urge to just simply storm over to the couch, drag Alex up by his arms and shake him until his teeth rattled, until Mulder saw something in those green eyes something other than sullen contempt...and blame.

Then just as suddenly as the rage had come...it fled, leaving him feeling empty and bereft. Who was he kidding? It was his fault that those goons had broken into the cabin, he had been so busy seducing Alex that he had done something completely unforgivable in any halfway decent agent. He had let his attention lapse and those bastards had been able to take out the alarm system and get in through the backdoor that by rights, should have been locked.

Let's face it boys and girls. He thought bitterly. If you had been thinking with your head instead of your dick, none of this would never have happened.

He had fucked up, that's all there was to it, he had fucked up royally.

These miserable thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a sharp knock at the door. One of the guys on security was at the door, a young and rather nervous looking pizza boy with a severe case of acne was standing beside him, clutching a couple of pizza boxes and a six pack of coke.

"This order for you Agent Mulder?" The guard asked. Mulder nodded, then after paying the kid, took the food and went back inside.

Without a word, he dumped the food onto the coffee table in front of Alex, then headed to his bedroom. Alex looked up, frowning, then glanced down at all the food. It smelled good, but somehow he couldn't seem to work up any appetite for it.

Getting up off the couch, Alex switched off the television set and walked over to where his room was, leaving the pizza and garlic bread cooling on the coffee table.

xx

FOUR

Scully changed the bandage on Alex's left side, checking the small neat row of stitches. She examined them, making sure that they were holding the wound together and that there was no sign of infection at all.

"Well everything looks okay." She said as she replaced the bandage. "And those stitches can be removed in the next couple of days, as long as you don't tear them again."

"I didn't tear them deliberately." Alex said with a smile. "I just have this thing about being shot you know...I really hate it."

Scully spared him a rare smile, then peeled off the latex gloves that she had put on in order to check Alex's wound. She tossed them into a nearby trash bin, then packing away her equipment, closed the medical bag.

She looked over at Mulder, who was leaning against the door that led into the small but serviceable kitchen.

"All done here." She said, cheerfully enough. "I can declare Alex to be officially on the mend, barring anymore incidences with hired assassins that is.

Mulder nodded. "Good." He said, his voice carefully non committal. Scully gave him a sharp glance, then turned back to Alex again.

"Just make sure you keep that bandage dry, perhaps you could use some cling wrap to cover it when you take a shower."

"Okay." Alex replied, already tired of the subject of his injury. "I'll do that.

"Okay then." Picking up her bag, she turned to her partner again.

"I have to get going Mulder, I have some paperwork I have to catch up on, but I'll call in later, see if either of you need anything."

"Great." Mulder replied. Scully frowned, she knew that he could be monosyllabic at the best of times, but this was getting ridiculous. Her gaze traveled from her partner to Alex, then back again. Well since neither seemed to be forthcoming about anything, there was nothing she could do.

"I'll see you later." With that, she headed to the door, closing it firmly behind her.

Both men watched her go, then Alex took his place on the couch, opening a book, something he had found on the bottom shelf of the bookcase in the corner of the room. It was something by V.C Andrews, not too bad actually, enough that he was able to bury himself into the story and thereby effectively block out Mulder's constant presence.

Mulder took his place at the small round dining table that sat at the far end of the room, an attempt to try and turn that part of the apartment into a dining area, but the diminutive size of the room defeated the purpose, and the table only ended up looking clumsily out of place.

He had decided to set up his lap top computer on the table since neither of them used it for for eating their meals there. They both tended to eat alone in their rooms, avoiding direct contact with each other as much as possible.

Mulder logged on to the Internet in order to check his e-mail. Signing in, he noticed that there were the usual messages from various other agents and a couple from the Lone Gunmen.

Curious, he was about to open the first message, when his cell phone buzzed.

Taking it out of his jacket pocket, he flipped it open. "Mulder speaking."

"Ah, Mr Mulder, it's Dr Owens here." The familiar voice on the other end said.

Mulder frowned, feeling a trickle of unease shiver through him.

"Oh, hello." Mulder said, glancing towards Alex who seemed to be completely immersed in his paperback now. "What can I do for you?" Please don't let this be anything bad about Natty. He prayed inwardly.

"I have some...um...unfortunate news I'm afraid." The dry voice continued.

Mulder clutched his cell phone to his ear. "What would that be?"

"Your cat, Natasha...she's gone."

"Gone, what do you mean she's gone?" Oh shit. Mulder was aware of Alex's eyes on him now, he had set the book to one side and was watching him intently.

"Well, just that Mr Mulder, she's...gone, vanished."

"Van... you mean she's GONE?" Mulder almost yelled into the phone. He watched as Alex got up off the couch and walked over to where he was sitting. The younger man's face had gone suddenly pale.

"Yes, I went to check on her this morning and I found her cage empty, I think someone has taken her, the lock on the cage door was broken." Dr Owens told him, the old man sounded rather distressed now.

"I thought you meant she had died." Mulder told him. He looked up at Alex who was standing in front of him, chewing at his lip worriedly.

"Fox..."

Mulder cut him off. "Have you informed the local police of the break in?" He asked, he was rubbing his forehead with the tips of his fingers, trying to figure out who the hell would take a cat...and why.

"Yes, of course I have, the strange thing is though, I can't see anything else missing." Dr Owens continued. "By what I can see here Mr Mulder, I think they only took your cat."

"Fox, what the fuck is going on, is it Natty?" Alex asked, his fists clenched at his sides. "Come on, please tell me." He was almost pleading now. "Okay, look Dr Owen, I'll come straight up there, hopefully we should be able to get to the bottom of this." With that, Mulder cut the connection.

"What's happened to Natty?" Alex was just about yelling now, frantic with worry.

Mulder turned to him, not knowing how to tell him. As gently as he could, he told Alex what the vet had told him over the phone.

Alex listened grim faced, then nodded. "I'm going with you."

"No Alex, you can't, I'm not supposed to go..."

"I'm going Fox and that's all there is to it." Alex replied, his voice taunt with emotion. "She's my cat Fox, I need to find her and make sure she's all right. You are not leaving me behind."

Mulder stared at Alex for a long moment, then he sighed. "All right then Alex, but you realize Skinner is going to kick my butt over this...don't you?"

Alex gave him the warmest smile since they had arrived back at DC. "I promise I'll kiss it better for you, but right now we have to find Natty, and kill whoever it was that took her."

Mulder smiled back at him, despite the worry he was feeling over Natty. "Okay then, let's go."

xx >Part 8: Chances Regained

ONE

Mulder steered the car carefully along the icy road. Driving conditions were not perfect, but at least the snow had let up for a little while.

Alex was sitting in the passenger seat, his nervousness betrayed by the constant nibbling at his lower lip. Mulder risked a quick look at the younger man sitting beside him.

"You are going to gnaw your lip bloody if you don't stop." He remarked.

Alex glanced at him, then relaxed into a smile. "Yeah, I guess you're right." He replied. "How far is it now?" That was the fifth time he had asked that question in the last hour.

"Not much farther." Mulder replied. "Relax Alex, I'm sure that we'll find Natty, maybe some kids broke in and took her, who knows."

"Yeah, or maybe she was abducted by some of those aliens of yours." Alex replied sarcastically, then instantly regretted it, after all, Mulder was putting his ass on the line taking him back to Fallon Gates to try and find her. He knew that Skinner was going to go ballistic once he found out what his agent had done.

"Sorry." Alex muttered. "That was out of line."

Mulder's lips quirked up. "Don't worry about it." He replied, he was just grateful that Alex was no longer angry at him.

Finally the town's sign loomed up in the darkness. "Here we are at last." Mulder remarked as he turned down the street that led to the veterinarian clinic.

Dr Owens was sitting in his surgery, he had been waiting for Mulder and Alex to show up. He ushered them both in, obviously flustered.

"I just don't understand it." He was saying as he led them through to where he kept his four legged patients.

"I mean, if your cat had been a valuable breed, a show quality animal I could certainly understand, but she's just a domestic short hair, why would anyone want to steal her." He shook his head, puzzled. "Nothing like this has ever happened before."

The elderly vet showed the two men the cage that Natty had been kept in while she had been recuperating, the lock had been neatly cut in half.

"What did the local police have to say about this?" Mulder asked slipping smoothly into full FBI mode.

"Not that much really." Dr Owens replied. "They dusted for fingerprints and took a statement from me, then they said that they would get back to me if they found anything. Oh this is just dreadful." It was easy to see that the elderly man was distraught.

Mulder nodded, his face thoughtful. "Do you mind if we took a look around here, we might be able to spot something that the local guys might have missed."

"Yes of course, please do." Dr Owens replied. "I just feel terrible about this, I really, I can't work out how they got past my alarm system." He left the room, muttering and shaking his head at the state of things.

Alex and Mulder checked every inch of the room and found absolutely nothing, not so much as a hair or clothing fiber. They could see by the fingerprint powder residue that the cops had not picked up any prints either. It was clear to see that this had not been done by local kids pulling a prank. Whoever it was that had broken in and taken Natty had been a professional.

They checked the alarm system, it turned out to be a rather cheap older model, easily tampered with. Alex held up the wires to show Mulder that they had been neatly cut.

Mulder nodded, his face grim. "Come on, we may as well pay a visit to what passes as the local law enforcement around here.

xx

TWO

The deputy sitting behind the desk looked up as the two men clad in thick jackets and jeans entered the station.

"Help you two gentlemen?" He asked. Mulder flashed his badge.

"I'm Agent Mulder, FBI and this is Mr Krycek, we just want to ask someone about the break in at the vet's surgery."

The deputy glanced at the badge in front of him, then his eyes flicked up to the young dark headed man who was holding it.

"The officer you want to talk to is Deputy Samas, since he's the investigating officer." The deputy replied, obviously bored.

"Would he happen to be here?" Mulder asked, his voice edged with impatience now.

"Sure is." The deputy replied. "In fact he's sitting right over there." He nodded towards a short heavy set man sitting behind another desk over on the far side of the room. He was ponderously tapping away at a computer keyboard in front of him.

"Deputy Samas?"

The older man looked up from the computer screen. "That's me all right, how can I help you two boys?"

"Agent Mulder FBI, and this is my associate, Mr Krycek." Mulder held his badge up once more for the deputy to inspect.

"I believe you are the officer in charge of investigating the break in at the veterinary clinic."

Deputy Samas nodded. "That's right, someone broke into old Doc Owens clinic, took a cat of all things."

"That's right." Mulder replied. "I was wondering if you had any information that you could share with us concerning the...robbery."

"Well not really." Samas replied, rubbing his stubbly chin with one pudgy hand. "We checked out the crime scene and went over everything, but so far we haven't turned up a blessed thing. No fingerprints, nothing." He sighed. "Nothing other than the cat was taken, no money, drugs... strange case really."

Mulder sighed inwardly, he could see he was not making much headway here, he turned to look at Alex, who was standing a little way back, his green eyes dark and unfathomable. He had not said a word since they had entered the station.

He handed the deputy his card. "If anything turns up, please call me immediately."

The deputy nodded, taking the card. "Sure, but why would the FBI be so interested about someone taking a cat?"

Mulder gave the older man his most charming smile. "Just let me know if anything turns up, thanks."

The deputy watched the two men leave the station, then after taking another look at the business card, shrugged and tossed it into his desk drawer.

THREE "We aren't going to find her Fox." Alex said softly as he sat down on the edge of the motel room bed.

By mutual consent, they had decided to take a room at the motel instead of returning to the cabin. Mulder had thought that it would not be safe and Alex had agreed, but the real reason was simply that going back there would invoke too many painful memories.

So they found themselves back at the motel, and oddly enough, back in the same room they had shared before.

"We are going to find her Alex." Mulder replied firmly. "We are going to find out who the hell it was that took her and then..." Just then, his cell phone buzzed. Mulder pulled it out of his coat pocket.

"Mulder speaking." He answered, then instantly wished he hadn't.

"Agent Mulder where the hell are you?" It was Skinner and he sounded incandescent with rage.

"Ah, AD Skinner." Mulder replied, visibly wincing. "How nice of you to call."

"How nice of me..." The Assistant Director spluttered. "Mulder, is Alex with you?"

"As a matter of fact, he is Sir." Mulder replied. Alex looked over at him nervously.

"And where are you right now Agent?" Skinner voice had become calm, almost too calm, a very bad sign indeed.

"Ah, we are back in Fallon Gates Sir." Mulder replied, ignoring Alex's frantic hand signals. "We received a phone call several hours ago from Dr Owens..."

"Dr Owens?" Skinner's voice was sharp.

"The town's vet Sir, you see there's been a break-in at his clinic."

"I see, a break-in at a small town vet's clinic constituted an investigation by a Federal Bureau agent. The same agent that was supposed to be staying at a safe house in DC looking after a potential witness whose life is in danger." Skinner's voice echoed through the phone, reaching clear across to Alex who was standing several feet away.

"It's Natty Sir." Mulder broke in hurriedly. "She's gone."

"Natty...oh you mean Alex's cat?"

"Yes Sir, it seems that someone broke into the clinic and took her."

There was silence on the other end of the phone for a moment, then Skinner replied.

"Took her, what the hell do you mean, took her?" He sounded confused.

"That's why we are both here Sir, we are trying to find out why anyone would want to take Alex's cat." Mulder said into the phone.

"You have spoken to the local law enforcement there?"

"Yes Sir, but they have not been able to find any kind of forensic evidence, it's obviously not the work of local kids like I first thought, whoever broke in knew what they were doing."

Another silence, then Skinner said. "Mulder, you and Alex are to return here ASAP, is that clear, I want Alex back in the safe house where he can be properly protected and I want you back here so as I can kick your ass...and his as well."

Mulder swallowed hard, then replied. "Sir, I need to try and find out who took Natty and why." He glanced over at Alex, who was had heard practically everything the furious AD had said. He was looking decidedly pale now. He knew from painful experience that pissing Walter Skinner off was an extraordinarily bad idea.

Mulder sighed inwardly, then said. "We'll leave for DC first thing tomorrow morning Sir."

"See that you do." Was the surly reply. Then softer. "Tell Alex I am sorry about his cat, I know that he was close to her." Skinner stopped, feeling awkward.

"Let the local boys handle it Mulder, I'm sure they find her." With that, the phone clicked. Skinner had hung up.

"We can't go back." Alex said taking a step forward. "Fox, we can't, we have to find out who took her...and why. She's here somewhere, I can feel it. We can't just up and leave now."

Mulder could hear the plea in Alex's voice and closed his eyes for a moment, a sudden feeling of utter weariness wash over him, the last thing he wanted to do now was get into another argument with Alex over this, the way he felt at the moment, he simply wasn't up for it.

"Alex, she's not here, whoever has taken her would be miles away by now. You know that." He said as gently as he could. Alex opened his mouth, preparing to argue, when suddenly he realized that Mulder was right. This was not the work of kids playing a stupid prank, or some local thief, whoever did this would not have stuck around to view the fun. They would be long gone by now. Alex nodded. "Yeah, I guess you are right Fox, they'd be long gone by now." He was beginning to have his suspicions as to who had taken her and where she could be now.

Mulder yawned again, and rubbed the back of his neck, all the long hours behind the wheel and now knowing that Skinner was on the war path had taken their toll, he was exhausted and had the beginnings of one mother of a headache.

"Shit." He muttered. He twisted his head from side to side, trying to relieve the ache.

"What's wrong Fox?" Alex asked, concerned. He moved over to where he was standing.

"Nothing much." Mulder replied tiredly. "I just need a good night's sleep is all."

Suddenly he felt a warm hand on the back of his neck, rubbing gently in a circular motion, soothing the ache away. Mulder sighed and leaned back into the massage, sighing with relief as the headache started to recede.

"Mmmm, feels good." He mumbled, feeling the muscles loosen and relax. Suddenly a pair of lips were gently pressed against the back of his neck. Mulder could feel the puff of warm breath against his skin.

"I guess this means I'm finally forgiven." He chuckled. Alex sighed and wrapped his arms around Mulder's lean waist, pressing himself against the FBI agent, the man he desired.

"Yeah, you could say that." Alex replied. "He started running his lips up and down the back of Mulder's neck again, planting delicate little kisses over the sensitive skin.

Mulder could feel himself becoming hard as Alex's hands began their slow exploration, drifting down from Mulder's waist, to the bulge in the front of his jeans.

A soft moan escaped from his lips as Alex's hands began to rub at the bulge, his own erection pressed up against the other man's jean clad butt.

"Can we fuck now please?" He heard Alex ask softly from behind.

"Sure we can." Mulder turned around and gathered the slightly smaller man into his arms, gazing into those incredible green eyes, eyes that he could become lost in and never find his way out.

With a single movement, Mulder's head dipped and his mouth was plundering Alex's with a hunger that was almost brutal. Alex responded with a passion to match Mulder's and soon they were struggling out of their clothes in the haste to fuck each other into senseless oblivion.

FOUR

It was light outside when Mulder awoke, filled with a warm fuzzy haziness, he rolled over and reached out to touch Alex, and felt only cool sheets instead.

"Wha..." He opened his eyes and stared at the other side of the bed, it was empty.

Mulder sat up, a frown creasing his forehead. "Alex?"

The empty sheets stared mutely back at him. Throwing back the bed clothes, Alex got to his feet and padded across the ugly brown carpet to where the bathroom was located.

He pushed the door open, the room was empty, no Alex.

Mulder checked in the closet, Alex's dark canvas overnight bag was gone.

"Shit." The word exploded out of his mouth and echoed in the quiet motel room. Where the hell could he be?

Gone to get us both some breakfast? That was probably it, Mulder told himself. He's just gone down to the corner store to get some coffee and maybe a couple of danishes. Yes, that was it.

But why take his overnight bag? A niggling little voice inquired. Face it Mulder, he's done a runner as they say. He's gone.

Feeling sick, Mulder sat down on one of the plain motel chairs. He has to come back. He thought with something close to desperation. He has to, how can I face life without him.

The sudden realization of just how much Mulder had come to need Alex in his life was almost dizzying. Disorientated Mulder ran his hand across his face, it was shaking.

"Why Alex?" He whispered. "I thought you trusted me, I thought you forgave me."

Grief and despair finally overtook the stricken man and head lowered, he wept.

xx

FIVE

Scully was waiting in the basement office by the time Mulder returned from Skinner's domain.

The Assistant Director had been in full flight reaming the younger man out six ways from Sunday, finishing with a demand for a full report first thing in the morning.

Mulder walked into his office, his face stiff and emotionless and he sat down behind his desk.

"How did it go?" Scully asked him, already knowing the answer.

Mulder looked up at her, hazel eyes shadowed with fatigue. "How do you think it went?"

"That bad huh." She looked at him, sympathy clear in her eyes.

"Yup, that bad." He sighed and stared down at the desk in front of him, he looked as though he had not slept properly in a week.

"Why don't you go home, get some rest." Scully suggested kindly. "I can cover for you here."

He gave her a ghost of a smile. "Sure, I may as well, nothing's happening here." With that he got to his feet and and grabbing his coat, left the office.

xx

SIX

The haze of smoke that seemed to perpetually follow the Cigarette Smoking Man around seemed thicker than normal in the small barren looking room.

He sat behind a plain desk, empty of anything except for a phone. And a large metal cage sitting on the polished surface.

He was looking across at the young man sitting on one of the hard chairs placed in front of the desk. A cool smile playing about his thin, cruel looking mouth.

"You know Alex, in all the years that I have known you, I never would have picked you for an animal lover." He said, his voice held a cool hint of amusement.

"And a cat of all things." He shook his head in disbelief. "I must admit, I rather prefer dogs myself, but each to their own as they say, isn't that right."

Alex said nothing, he sat, hands clenched in his lap, his face stony, betraying no emotion as he sat, listening to his former boss gloat.

"But I must admit Alex to being very disappointed with you." CSM continued, the mock sadness in his tone making Alex grit his teeth.

"Yes, very disappointed indeed."

"What do you want from me Spender?" Alex asked coldly. He was tired of listening to the older man's insincere ramblings and veiled threats.

"What do I want from you?" CSM replied. "I only want what any father wants from one of his children, obedience and loyalty. That's all."

"You are not my father." Alex replied, hot colour rising in his cheeks.

CSM leaned back against his chair. "But I have always looked upon you as a son Alex, and as a father, I must say how concerned I am over the recent choices that you have made, choices I may add that were hasty and extremely unwise."

Alex said nothing, he merely waited, knowing that the Smoking Man would get to the point when... and only when he was ready.

"I was sorry to lose you Alex." He said, blowing out a plume of smoke. "Very sorry indeed, but as a father is willing to forgive his wayward child, I am willing to forgive you." He leaned forward slightly in his chair.

"What I am saying Alex is that I am offering you your old job back."

"You want me to work for you again, is that it?" Alex asked flatly. CSM nodded. "Yes."

"And if I refuse?" Alex asked. CSM's smile widened unpleasantly. "That would be foolish indeed." He replied.

Alex took a deep breath, then said. "I guess I should consider your offer of my old job back, especially after you took all the trouble of kidnapping my cat." You bastard, he added silently.

CSM chuckled. "Well, we thought a little added incentive could not hurt, and it's sweet to see that you have become so attached to your kitty cat. I knew it was only a matter of time before you figured out where she was and tracked her back here."

Alex said nothing, after all, what was left to say. If he refused CSM's offer, both he had Natasha would end up dead and buried somewhere so deep, no one would ever find them. What choice did he have?

A sudden wave of hatred tore through him as he stared back at the old bastard seated behind the desk. Oh what he wouldn't give to be able to pull out a gun and simply blow a hole right through that wrinkled old face of his. But unfortunately, he was unarmed and the building that the office was in was a Consortium stronghold, crawling with guards. No Alex would not have made it ten feet before he was blown away himself.

He sighed inwardly, the trouble was, a few short weeks ago he would not have cared whether he lived or died, but now with finding Natty, and Fox, he had so much to live for. Foolishly risking his life was no longer an option. He had to think of another way.

A plaintive meow sounded from the cage, Natty was growing restless, hearing Alex's voice, she wanted out so as she could go to him.

"What's wrong kitty?" CSM asked as he poked his fingers through the bars to pet her. Natty backed away from him, taking an instinctive dislike to the stranger, whose acrid smell offended her delicate nostrils.

He chuckled and looked up at Alex, delighting in the look of pure rage that crossed the younger man's face.

"Such a cute little thing, isn't she." He remarked. "I can certainly see why you have taken such a shine to her. And she has such pretty eyes." CSM inhaled on his Morley.

"Such a pity if anything were to happen to her, wouldn't it." The Smoking Man took the cigarette from between his lips and held it out, Alex could see the glowing red tip.

Suddenly he thrust it between the bars of the cage, Natty yowled in pain and the smell of burning fur filled the room.

"Noooo." Alex leapt from his chair, lunging across the desk, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a gun.

"Relax Alex, it's only a small burn, nothing to worry yourself about." CSM said calmly. He withdrew the cigarette, stubbing it out in a nearby ashtray. Alex took his chair once more, trembling with a sick rage.

"Now, about my offer..."

"All right." Alex whispered, he looked up at the older man with red rimmed eyes. "I'll work for you again, but on one condition."

"And what would that be?" CSM asked, eyebrow raised.

Alex told him, the Smoking Man listened, then nodded. "Very well then, but you know what will happen if you try to betray me in any way."

"I know." Alex replied wearily. "But that's the deal."

"Fine." The Smoking Man said, fully satisfied. "Welcome home Alex."

SEVEN

It was late and Mulder had finally dropped off to sleep when there was a knock at the door.

Mulder's eyes opened and he sat up, swinging his legs off the couch, where he had fallen asleep in front of the late news.

"Yeah, who is it?" There was no answer. With a yawn, he got up and walked over to the door, pulling it open. The hallway was empty, no one was there.

Mulder was just about to close the door, when suddenly he looked down and saw the metal cage.

Bending down, he picked it up and carried it inside the apartment. He sat the cage down onto the couch and opened the door, a long black figure raced out of the cage and straight into his arms, purring frantically. With a laugh of pure joy, Mulder hugged her to him, and that was when he noticed the plain white envelope stuck between the bars of the cage.

He pulled it out and opened it, reading the neatly printed words.

My darling Fox... I figured it all out, when we were in the motel room together. I realized who had taken Natty and why. It was the Smoking Man all along, he needed me to work for him again so he had Natty taken in order to blackmail me. The reason I did not tell you that night was because I knew that you would only try to stop me. I made a deal with him Fox, one that would save Natty. I agreed to start doing his dirty work again and in turn, he let Natty go. Please take care of her for me until I can find my way back to you both again. I just hope that one day you will forgive me and never forget how much I love you both. Alex

Mulder could feel the tears flood his eyes as he read the note over and over until finally the words became a blur. Natty purred in his arms, licking at what looked like a small burn on her leg.

Mulder frowned when he saw it, then he realized, it looked like something a cigarette would make.

A wave of anger swept through him. "Bastard." He breathed, then hugged Natty closer to him. "It's all right Natty." He promised. "I'll look after you until Alex comes back."

And he will come back, he has to. He added silently, almost like a prayer. Alex had gotten away from the black lunged bastard before, and he would do it again. It might take a little while, but Mulder believed that Alex would come back. After all, he had left the most precious thing he had in Mulder's care...hadn't he? He smiled through his tears as he felt Natasha's warm furry body vibrate against him with her purrs.

"He knows where to find us." He whispered. "And he knows how much we need him. How much we love him. All we have to do is wait."

THE END

xx

lady_midath@yahoo.com.au

Lady Midath's Fan Fiction
Disclaimer: I do not own the X Files nor any of the characters and no profit is being made at all.
Fandom: X Files
Pairing: Mulder/Krycek
Rating: R for some language, and some angst
Sorry, no sex just yet
Archive: Yes, just let me know where it's going
Spoilers: None that I am aware of
Please note here that Alex Krycek still has both arms
Summary: It's Christmas and Alex is alone
Author: Lady Midath
Status: Finished
Thanks to Shawn for beta-reading, you are the best

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]