Magic Square II

Re-Inventing Alex Krycek
by Jami Wilsen


The pain of you.

I lay awake at night weighing which is worse: dreaming of you or laying awake thinking of you. I can't tell the difference anymore. Ever since the last time I saw you (flash of a cold indifferent face, and the sensation of a bullet ripping into me), I've realized that there really was no chance, no hope. I don't have a hope in hell. I never did and I never will. So why do I torture myself with thoughts of you?

You're like a scab I can't stop picking at. The wound is still too fresh, the cut too deep and taking far too long to heal. And it's bone-deep, as sharp as the blade that severed my arm from my body, as piercing as the knowledge that once a life is taken, there can be no going back.

It isn't remorse or regret. I don't have time for either, and absolutely no patience for self-pity. But I have nothing left to fill the space with and the hole in my heart is a lot fucking bigger than the hole in my forehead was.

I tell myself it wasn't love. Love is for dreamers, for fools. As I am neither, love is most certainly not for me. And it is definitely not what I feel for him.

Felt. Once. Past tense. No longer, though.

Yeah, and if I keep telling myself that, maybe I'll believe it someday. I should just take out my gun and fucking get it over with. I'm a dreamer and a fool and it will get me killed again, eventually. I should go up to him, hand him my gun and say, here—do it properly. Do it again. Get it out of your system. God knows how many times they'll bring me back—might as well take advantage of it. Go on, kill me and gain that precious closure you think you crave so badly. I know you so well; you would be afraid at how well I know you. You can't do it yourself. I'd have to put the gun to my head and pull the trigger myself. Your guilt wouldn't let you.

I ought to just go and see you. Give you the shock of your life. Hi there, remember me? Yeah, I'm still here. Thought you'd gotten rid of me, didn't you? No, I'm not a ghost. Sorry to disappoint you.

God, why does it hurt so much? Why does it still hurt so badly? It's like an aching tooth that I've never bothered to have removed. Like a phantom limb. Or like three bullet holes in my body that I thought would take the pain away for good. A huge, black rose of pain, so much greater than anything I had ever feared, that finally sucked out my soul.

Then, white pain, a blaze of consciousness, searing light and GOD PLEASE NO—

Fucking ALIENS... bring me back from the dead for their own convenience. Then leave me here to live out the rest of my days in solitary confinement like a wounded animal. How the fuck am I supposed to live a normal life? People like me shouldn't live past a certain point, I think. My luck should have run out by now. I'm so fucking good at surviving anything that the world throws at me—and not just the world but the galaxy now, too. Damned aliens, meddling in human affairs just because they can. All the world's a chessboard and we are all pawns, moved around by their dictates and agendas.

I don't dare scan myself for implants—no doubt they have me tagged like the animal they treated me as, and I'm afraid to examine why, to even consider the implications if I DO have one.

I awake this morning, breathing hard, wondering if I'm still dead and perhaps in hell, torn between a daily shadow existence of an enforced retirement and having to burn under the hatred in Mulder's dismissive eyes every night.

I tried to simply forgo sleep for a night and that had worked, until the next time I fell asleep. I tried it again and found that it just screwed up my sleeping pattern.

But this last dream is the final straw.

Bastard.

Talk about a nightmare. Forget physical trauma and night terrors: this latest trial is leaching every remaining emotional substance from my body. It doesn't seem fair, to have to endure Mulder's rage and snide, casually inflicted wounds on top of everything else, all the way up to the end. To this moment. Mulder, a psychic vampire, now? For fuck's sake.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that it really is Mulder—or at least part of Mulder, his subconscious perhaps. The way that Mulder consistently takes every opportunity to lash out at me in the dreams, particularly this last one, has me convinced that it can be none other than the bane of my life. Okay, maybe bane is the wrong description. Achilles heel? No, bane, definitely. And source of pain, pain, pain. So what else is new?

Bastard.

I stumble finally into the bathroom and splash cold water on my face to wash away the sweat, the dried tear-tracks and the remnants of sleep. In the mirror, I see a haggard face, red-eyed from poor sleep and fitful nights, haunted by the one man I can't escape. What a pathetic way to end it; caught and unable to hide, even in the privacy of my own mind...

I look down at the sink, away from my reflection.

There has to be some way to find out why this is happening. Mulder doesn't seem any happier about it than I am myself. So far, he appears to be in denial, which is a very good thing. Mulder believes I'm a figment of Mulder-dreams. How very Mulder-centric. So what else is new? I dry my face with the towel. And think how interesting it is that Mulder is trying to 'exorcise' me, like a ghost. Mulder believes I'm dead. Thank god for small mercies.

Whatever shreds of a conscience I might still possess is safely locked behind a very durable shell that has been years in the making. Yet, somehow, there is a soft little center somewhere inside. Probably in the region of my heel.

Again, I consider just showing up at Mulder's door. Folly. Suicide. Very stupid. I've stayed away, stayed underground for so long. I've been so good, leaving my Fox alone. I can't afford to let myself be drawn out now.

Dreams. I've been so lucky not to remember my dreams so far. The memories are bad enough without having to relive them at night. Actually, come to think of it, I'd prefer the Mulder dreams to having nightmares of either my death or my resurrection. Or the silo. Or the peasants with the hot knife. I find myself wincing at the memory in spite of myself. Or my parents' deaths. Or the memories of being possessed by the oilien. The sting of betrayals that remind me how much I must have hurt Mulder. The loss of people I tried not to care about. Killing people whose hearts had been even colder than my own, their own morality so lost as to be unrecoverable. Thankless tasks. Attempting to save an ignorant, selfish heaving mass of ungrateful people just so they could continue to believe in their thirty-year mortgages and the happy college education of their bright toddler and the uninterrupted flow of their favorite television shows and beer and takeout and American superiority. Fuck. Add it all up and I have to wonder what I'm hanging around for.

What kind of existence is it, when one has lived on the cusp of success, and the questionable glory of fighting for humanity's freedom against vast odds, to dwell in a vacuum of anonymity and false personas after having been granted another chance at life?

And at what cost! I remember dying.

I'd fallen to the concrete in the car park, still reeling with the realization that it had to be an alien replacement, not Mulder, else why would the man be standing there watching me fall so dispassionately, so coldly? As if he felt nothing at all? Even while watching me die? Surely he would have shown a flicker of triumph at least?

Bastard. Had to be a replacement. Had to be. Mulder had always burned brightly, whether with pain, violence, hatred or ambitiously seeking his dogmatic truths. Surely Mulder couldn't watch me die without blinking an eye?

The darkness had clutched at me suddenly, blackness spreading all too quickly on the heels of the pain and shock and red miasma that was my world. That gigantic black rose, unfolding like an octopus with long tentacles, death had opened gripping jaws and pulled me down. There was a brief moment of terror mingled with relief.

I awoke in a white, round room surrounded by little horrors. Indifferent, curious gray bodies with large heads and implacable eyes. And the tall ones, leaning over me to keep my consciousness pinned and unable to slide away. Unable to even scream.

When I angrily and with much sorrow demanded that they tell me why they'd brought me back, they had merely stared down at me and wordlessly talked of debts and needs. I was needed. It was inconvenient for me to no longer be alive. That was all. That was the only reason for me being brought back; I represented a 'convenience' on the board, as a piece in the game being played between various alien factions. I'd fought and struggled, suffered and resisted and all for this?

And then the final blow: my left arm. They'd regenerated my left arm. Not even out of any sense of mercy or compassion but merely as an afterthought, absently fixing something broken. I'd heard rumors that they sometimes healed cancer and illnesses and even blindness in those they abducted when they came across these states in their human guests. The Russian woman who's misshapen leg they'd grafted the replacement onto—not fixing it... Completely regenerating a new one from her DNA. Same thing they did for me. I never imagined that they would replace my missing limb. I was more grateful for the arm than for my life.

They treated me like a sulky child and ignored me and finally left me on the streets of Denver, not far from the new airport where they apparently had some kind of rendezvous to attend. At least they'd left my clothes and what I'd been carrying when I died, including my wallet and various IDs. Which meant that for the nine days I was aboard the ship, no one could have had a clue as to where my body had disappeared to and I had left nothing of mine in the possession of the FBI.

Holing up in Portland, Oregon, for a few weeks had seemed almost a cliché after the whole Bellefleur incident and Mulder's abduction there. But now, here in Arizona, I'm wondering if there really is anywhere left on the planet's surface that isn't an alien free-for-all. Arizona is riddled with UFO hotspots and buzz sites. In Phoenix, I finally settled for a while, renting an apartment and laying low as the weeks turned to months.

I had almost grown complacent when the first Mulder dream occurred, crashing into my world, threatening my desperate attempt to regain some clarity and personal space, a little sanity carved out in the wilderness after a life-time of living in other people's manipulative webs.

But I'm getting desperate now. The dreams are taking me apart, loosening my tenuous hold on reality and forcing me into these heart-wrenching, jarring confrontations with Mulder when all I want to do is lick my wounds and try to heal. Every time I finally fall asleep, it is with the knowledge that eventually I'll have to face Mulder again. And a secret excitement sits within me, I can't hide from it—the hope that maybe, this time, tonight, finally, Mulder will... What? He'll what? Forgive me? Tell me 'all's well, come on back Alex and we'll live together in peace and love'?

I close my eyes against the anguish that wells up at this hopeless and ridiculous thought. And try to prepare myself to spend yet another day like a trapped animal attempting to chew off an astral leg—or arm—in an attempt to escape.

Bastard.

In a way, I'm the perpetual moth to Mulder's flame, because I know I can no more stop wanting Mulder, no matter how absurdly suicidal it is, than a moth can help hurling itself at a naked candle burning in the dark.

Well, maybe at some point in the not too distant future I can go ahead and burn, lit up at last by the heat of Mulder's righteous anger and pain that he always and inevitably directs at me. My desire for Mulder is still the one illogical, irrational element in my being, the one thing that precludes any possibility of survival. My one weakness. My one despair. My one hope.

And still, I retain a sense of self-respect, of dignity and pride. I'll be damned if I'll fall at Mulder's feet—not after all my unrecognized past attempts to recompense for the damage I've caused him. Feeling better in the daylight, I can recoup my sense of integrity and purpose and pick up all the pieces of my psyche that lay shattered on the ground after last night's encounter... And begin the painstaking process of gluing myself back together yet again. Damn it, I'd gone to my knees again in the dream. Shit. And still Mulder had doled out the pain. The verbal punches. The cruel slaps. The barbs and nasty remarks that weren't so much clever as intentionally hurtful.

Bastard. Bastard!

I let the anger fill me, feeling it washing over me and rejuvenating my spirits. I'm not going to lie down and take what Mulder dished out so easily. If a psychic war was what Mulder wanted, so be it. At least I'll go down fighting.

Truth. I'll give Mulder his fill of it.

The bastard.

xx

"Scully." There was an embarrassed pause as she realized she'd answered with her surname out of habit. "Hello?"

Mulder chuckled. "Dana? I thought you wanted to be called Dana."

"It's a habit, Mulder," she replied, coolly. "One I'm trying to lose. What can I do for you?"

Mulder could hear William squalling in the background. "Have I called at a bad time?"

The cries abruptly stopped. "No, actually you haven't. I was just feeding him."

Mulder stopped, attempting to process the sudden knowledge that Dana Scully was breastfeeding at that exact moment...

"Mulder? Stop it."

"Uh, I—"

"What do you want, Mulder?" Scully's voice took on that familiar slightly pained note of long-sufferance.

"Are you still breastfeeding him? It's been months, now."

Dryly, she said, "Mulder, there are numbers you can call for this."

There was a heavy sigh. "I just—I really need to talk to someone."

There was an equally heavy silence. "That bad, huh? Is it the writing? Are you still suffering from writer's block?"

"It's not so much writer's block as PTSD, but yeah. But that isn't why I called."

"Well. That sounds serious. Okay. Hold on, let me switch him around."

Mulder's brain went on hold along with her, at the realization that she was shifting the baby to the other nipple. He cleared his throat, a sudden blush stealing over his face. There was something different and erotic about that. Very different to the cheesy, all-too-easy vids he had access to. And surely William was getting too old for that, in any case?!

"Right. What is it, Mulder?"

"I need to talk. With someone who will understand."

Scully was quiet. "What is it? Has something happened?"

"No. Well, not exactly. It—I got—See, the Lone Gunmen found some files for me. Dug them up from some weird-ass Department of Defense archive."

"When? When did you get them?"

"This morning."

"So, you've been sitting around reading them for the last seven hours?"

"Basically. And digesting."

"Are you going to tell me what they're about, or are you going to make me guess?" Her tone was cautious. "Are they about your father?"

"No, not really. Alex Krycek." Somehow, saying the name aloud, over the phone to his ex-partner and best friend didn't help. If anything, he felt he was almost invoking Krycek's ghost. Hm. Gonna have to be careful on that score, he reminded himself. This was Scully—not Doggett or Reyes.

"Really? What do they say? I mean, what kind of information is it? Mulder? Hello?"

"I'm here, Dana. It's his whole life. They're his father's files originally, actually." He took a deep breath. "I don't know. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I never really knew him. I never profiled him, and I never knew what forces were driving him."

"Mulder, there are no excuses for what he did to you, to my sister... To Skinner. Not to mention others we won't bother to list as it would take too long."

"Of course not. I'm not saying there are. But I've found so many parallels between his life and my own, that it's kind of... creepy."

"Creepy?"

"Weird. Spooky."

"Spooky," she repeated. "Like, frightening? What, like strange coincidences? Is this anything to do with the Smoker, Mulder?"

"Not until later on in the files. But the point is that I now realize I shared so many similar events with him, without even knowing it. I just wonder how close I was, and how many times, to going down exactly the same road he did. You know?"

"That's impossible, Mulder," Scully declared. "It's outrageous. How can you possibly compare yourself to that—that immoral killer—"

"I'm not comparing myself to him, or the things he did. I'm saying that our lives had frightening coincidental parallels. Similarities."

"I feel like I'm missing a really big piece of the story here, Mulder. Is there something in particular that has upset you? Or are you simply wallowing in self-inflicted guilt again? You tend to do that regularly. It's almost a monthly thing," she added, with a certain level of cool humor.

But she wasn't making light of what he was going through, she was trying to draw him out, he could tell.

Mulder replied, "I haven't been sleeping well."

That went down like a stone. Scully had repeatedly told him she didn't feel she could mother both little William and him, and that if he couldn't take care of himself, he'd have to arrange to find himself a female who'd be willing to. He quickly continued, "It's this whole Krycek thing. It's just really starting to get to me. I don't think I ever really had any closure on his death." It helped to say it. To say it aloud and to Scully—Dana. Even if she didn't really understand.

"Mulder?" Scully asked, suspiciously, "You're not telling me the whole story, are you? You're editing."

"I am not."

"Cut the crap. I can tell when you're doing it. If you don't stop, I'll get my mother and put you on to her instead."

"It's very simple," Mulder protested. "He saved my life. Several times. Then the bastard went and died without telling me anything, without giving me anything to go on. And now I have to go through this information, these files, and I'm—... Okay, alright. I'll just say it, okay? I think he's haunting me."

"Haunting you. Krycek."

"Yeah."

"Krycek is haunting you. What, is he rattling chains in your apartment at night?"

"Just about. Rattling a saber, anyway. Well, actually, I rattled mine at him, last night. I'm kind of worried about the repercussions."

There was an ominous note in Scully's voice now. "Mulder, what the hell are you doing? Did you hold a séance or something? Or have you been playing with the ouidja board again?"

Mulder sighed through his nose and closed his eyes tightly. "No. Nothing like that. Someone anonymously sent the original Ivory Coast artifact, from the alien ship you investigated, to Reyes at the Bureau. She gave it to me and now I'm being haunted by Krycek's ghost."

"The artifact?" Scully's voice raised two octaves. Then dropped again, alarmingly. "Where is it now? Mulder, Krycek killed Dr Sandoz to cover up any traces of that entire affair. He killed Kritschgau too, and stole all the research, even the laptop."

"Exactly. And now he's haunting me, through the relic. I sent it away and it's in a safe place. But I'm still seeing him. He doesn't seem very happy about this himself, to tell the truth."

"And now you're digging around looking for keys on how to deal with him, in his past?"

"Right. But Scully, I need to exorcise him and I don't think there are many Christian priests who can help me to dispel a ghost raised up by an artifact of alien origin. Sure, it has a very potent reaction to the Bible, but it's a little promiscuous in its cultural influences and preferences."

"So bring in a rabbi and a medicine man. Maybe a Buddhist or two. Mulder, I really can't advise you on this. You're going to have to dig deeper. God, what in hell have you managed to get yourself into this time?" Scully seemed to waver between laughter and concern.

"Yeah, I love you too. Look, I'll see what I can do. Think about it though, will you? Let me know if anything comes to you."

"Seriously, Mulder, an African witch doctor might be your best bet on this one."

Mulder recalled Scully's experiences as she'd related them to him upon her return from Africa. "You might be right. Let's just hope he doesn't turn me into a yam if I manage to offend him somehow."

"If anyone can, you will, Mulder. Please be careful. And stop focusing on Krycek. If it really is—" she stopped, and Mulder could hear the tinkle of the chain around her neck—he realized she must be briefly touching the small crucifix she wore around her neck, "his spirit... The best thing you can do is try to ignore him. Don't focus on him and he'll end up leaving of his own accord."

Mulder whistled. "Dana. This is—I'm going to remember this day. You actually agreed with me, that it might be his ghost."

"And I have our years of experience in the field to thank for that, Mulder. Good luck."

"Thanks. Thanks for hearing me out."

"Let me know how it goes, okay?"

"Okay. I'll be in touch. Bye."

xx

Mulder dreams...

He's dreaming of Alex: Alex smiling, Alex smirking at him, Alex in tight black jeans and a white t-shirt. Alex is standing next to him, leaning down to kiss him on the cheek. Mulder reaches up to keep him there, holding onto him with both hands. "Do it properly this time," Mulder suggests.

And Alex smiles before kissing him on the mouth, sweetly, tenderly. Mulder is losing himself mind in that kiss, it's so good, so beautiful, so right. Too right and perfect. God, how long has he been waiting for just this? "Alex," he says, horrified to find his voice is nearly a bleat. But it's only a dream.

And now he's in the Hoover Building, wandering the halls. He's walking up to the elevator and the elevator door slides open, revealing Alex standing there with that same smile on his face, the one that has no guile or deception. The one that proves to Mulder that Alex is sincere, that he is glad to see him.

Mulder joins him in the elevator. "Are we going up or down?"

Alex just grins at him.

So Mulder reaches out, to take Alex in his arms and this time kiss him back. But the elevator disappears and they are in his apartment. At least, he thinks it's his apartment. It's odd, like a combination of both his father's house in Martha's Vineyard and No. 42...

And Alex says, "The fish are dead. The bones of the fish won't bring you back."

Mulder frowns. It doesn't make sense. None of this makes any sense. But he doesn't care. He just wants to see Alex without all the clothes; wants to be near him, to touch that skin. Abruptly, the dream shifts without warning and they are sitting on the couch together, Mulder's black leather couch and Alex is naked finally, at last and Mulder touches him, leans down to lay against him and the desire is too much and he's coming, coming, coming...

xx

Mulder awoke with a jerk, a wordless cry still stuck in his throat. Fuck. He hadn't had a wet dream like that in years. Years! It wasn't the same dream as before though. He knew it. Instinctively. It hadn't been Alex's ghost this time. It had been a proper dream. The surreality of it was apparent now, in comparison to the previous dreams on the beach.

Mulder frowned. Christ. What time was it? His bedside clock claimed it was only 4:25 AM. Ah, well. Too much. Far too much. Sighing, he sat up and decided to get out of bed and go for a run. He lifted the covers with distaste. Laundry day, he thought to himself. And closed his eyes as he realized how sick this had become.

There he was, creaming himself over dreams of Alex's ghost. He couldn't even begin to imagine what this said about his sanity, the state of his subconscious. He'd always known that he was on the edge but maybe everyone's doubts about him were well founded. Maybe he was crazy after all. Maybe he was losing it for real this time. Hell, he could never tell the difference anyway.

xx

It's Saturday night in Chicago. The apartment I've rented seems more comfortable than the ones I've been in recently. I don't know; maybe it's psychological. I feel safer here. Maybe because I'm so close to O'Hare International... From there I can easily depart for any number of worldwide destinations. I was starting to feel so trapped in Arizona.

I haven't had a Mulder dream for several days now. Of course, I've been cheating. Been catching naps throughout the day and staying up all night in an attempt to avoid getting stuck on that godforsaken beach with him again. I feel vaguely triumphant about managing to evade it so far.

I feel like a sitting duck because no matter how many times I change my geographical location, Mulder is thinking about me. I can feel it. I know it's him. I can't ignore it, can't pretend that it isn't.

And it's Saturday night. Loneliest night of the week. Or so they say. I'm tempted to go to sleep in the hopes of meeting him there after all. I feel torn inside though, raw. The last time we dreamed together, he managed to get to me, hurt me badly—despite the fact I was expecting it.

I really shouldn't be drinking, not right now, not this late at night. I'm too tired and the vodka will send me slipping sliding sideways down into sleep if I'm not careful. I muzzily wonder if I'll dream of him again. See him. Be with him. Doesn't matter—whichever way I look at it, he's haunting ME, no matter what he claims.

xx

It seemed to Mulder that he had barely closed his eyes when he found himself on that beach again.

Somehow it was almost a letdown to see Krycek leaning against that rock. Mulder had built up so much anxiety and anticipation in his mind over this next dream, this meeting, that to see Krycek now was almost an anticlimax.

Krycek glowered at him darkly.

Well, that was to be expected, considering what he'd said to the man in their previous dream. Mulder stood his ground and folded his arms before him. "I'm sorry about what I said, last time. I was taking it out on you. I don't like being stuck here anymore than you do. But I will admit I was out of line."

But once bitten, twice shy. Immured against Mulder's possibly treacherous and devious attempts to get him to lower his guard, Krycek merely met him with a stony silence in return.

With a sigh, Mulder turned away to regard the peaceful surf, the distant horizon. "This isn't easy, for either of us. For me, this is actually an opportunity to heal the past. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, surely it means something for you, as well?"

Krycek's answer was quiet, low. "Band-Aids on bullet holes."

THAT was cryptic, and somehow Mulder had the feeling it was an implicit remark, aimed at letting But once bitten, twice shy. Immured against Mulder's possibly treacherous and devious attempts to get him to lower his guard, Krycek merely met his words with a stony silence.

With a sigh, Mulder turned away to regard the peaceful surf, the distant horizon. "This isn't easy, for either of us. For me, this is actually an opportunity to heal the past. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, surely it means something for you, as well?"

Krycek's answer was quiet, low. "Band-Aids on bullet holes."

THAT was cryptic, and somehow Mulder had the feeling it was an implicit remark, aimed at letting him know just how much pain and suffering Krycek was actually going through. Even now. No rest, even in death.

'Requiescat in pace'.

Mulder couldn't help the dart of guilt from settling in his stomach at this. He'd wanted Krycek to suffer but now that he was dead and was actually paying for his crimes, Mulder really wished he didn't have to see it.

He murmured, "Funny. I would've thought that'd be salt in those wounds, instead." Mulder turned back to see his reaction.

Anger flickered in Krycek's eyes but he said nothing.

"For what it's worth, I'm not glad that you're in pain. It isn't like this is some kind of twisted victory for me."

"Could've fooled me," Krycek bit out, a wealth of non-stated anger and anguish broiling beneath the surface of his retort.

"I'm not the one keeping you here," Mulder said.

Krycek replied scathingly, "You can practice all the self-deception you want. Just don't expect me to swallow it, too."

Mulder watched him for a few moments. "All right, I'll prove it to you. I'll find a way to release you from this place. Both of us."

Krycek snorted, obviously disbelieving him. But there was a wary hope in his reply. "How? "

"I don't know. I'll find a way." It sounded like a wild promise but Mulder was sincere.

Krycek looked as though he caught it too, almost believed Mulder believed it himself. But he said, "How the hell am I supposed to believe that, when YOU are the one responsible for my being here in the first place?"

"I'm not," Mulder protested. Then stopped himself as Krycek shot him an accusatory glance. He heaved a sigh. "Look, Alex, I'm sorry. You have my word. I'll find out how to get you out of here. Believe me, I don't want to be here anymore than you do." But something occurred to him at this point. If he did manage to find a way to exorcise Krycek's ghost, to release his spirit from this dream environ that the relic had trapped them in, he would never see Krycek again.

Unfortunately, before he had a chance to think about it further, to say anything, to explain, he found himself waking.

xx

In the darkness of the booth at the back of the bar, Mulder caught sight of the slim, blonde woman, her hair pinned up severely and her recognizable, ice-queen delicacy of expression belied only by her rather pouty lips.

"Marita? Hello. How have you been?" Mulder sat down opposite her. She was inscrutable, sitting there before him. Mulder wondered if living in the aftermath of the Cold War had been as trying for her as it had been for the rest of them. He could relate. Here he was, ex-Federal Agent and self-appointed investigator of bizarre phenomena, having survived his parents' involvement with the Grays, the Government, the Rebels and the Black Oil, instigating a probably ill-advised meeting with the only living operative of the now-disbanded Consortium—a shady character who wanted nothing more than to recover from years of intrigue, suffering and survival. It hadn't been easy for anyone. He wondered how she was doing. Really. Beyond the niceties and pleasantries. Still, she had agreed to see him and he didn't want to pry. He had a feeling this would be difficult enough, with his intended line of questioning. "Can I get you a drink?"

She shook her head slightly with a frown. "No, thank you. You wanted to see me? What is this about, Agent Mulder?"

Mulder shifted uncomfortably. "I'm not with the Bureau anymore. Actually, I just wanted to ask you about something, someone from our past. I was wondering if you would be willing to talk with me about him. I think you are probably the only person who knew him; as well as anyone could, anyway. He's long-dead now, but... I would appreciate it if you would help me out here, because I'm kind of haunted, in a way."

Marita frowned again. "Who?"

"Alex Krycek."

Now there was a trace of fire in the cold, perceptive eyes. Also a measure of hurt. Damn. Mulder wished he had been a little more prepared to deal with the emotional fall-out. He knew they must have had a relationship... The files had mentioned that Ms. Covarrubias had found Krycek attractive and it had been for that reason alone that she had convinced the British Elder to spare Krycek's life and allow him to prove his potential worth to the Syndicate, before he'd been assigned as Mulder's partner in the FBI.

Gently, Mulder added, "I never really knew him."

She snorted, quietly, her pale blue eyes wandering past him to watch the dim bar behind them, the front door and the occasional patron entering or leaving. "I doubt anyone ever did. He's dead, Mr. Mulder. Leave him alone. Let him rest."

Mulder said uncomfortably, "I would, but he won't leave me alone. I never had closure on him, was never able to forget. Even now, I'm plagued with dreams and unresolved thoughts about his involvement with me, the Consortium, the—"

"Mr. Mulder," Marita interrupted him in a low voice. "I can't help you. If you've read the file, then you are already familiar with everything that I wrote in those initial reports on his progress. He could have had it all, could have run everything. He threw it away on some altruistic notion. Much like yourself."

Mulder was taken aback. Surprised, he asked, "What do you mean?"

She fixed him with a penetrating gaze, her icy-blue eyes inscrutable. "Idealistic fantasies of making the world a better place, of finding the truth and exposing it for the rest of the world to see. No one WANTS to see it. I would've thought you'd understand that at least, by now. People only accept what they wish to accept. You can lead a horse to water, but..." She shrugged, and elegantly sipped from her glass as though they were at an embassy dinner and not this dingy, dark little bar.

Mulder was silent, digesting her words. "What did you mean, like me?"

She considered him. "Your original contact, Deep Throat, could see the potential that you represented. He was deliberately grooming you to take over. He saw, as did Cancerman, that if you were to inherit your father's work and take his place in the Syndicate, there was a chance for the redemption of the Project. You are a good, well-intentioned man and they knew that it would validate their own involvement to have someone like you on board. Surely you suspected?"

Mulder felt his face stiffen, mentally kicking himself for not figuring this out before. "Sure, but what you're saying is that Krycek was the same? He didn't take his place in the Consortium, for the same ideology that I hold?"

"Mr. Mulder, I won't bandy words with you. Alex looked up to you; he admired you and followed your example in whichever ways he could. Certainly he didn't have your access to people and resources within the federal government. He had to work behind the scenes. But he successfully brought about their downfall. Up to the last, he worked ceaselessly to ensure that humanity's position in this situation might be saved."

"You admired him."

Her eyes dropped away from his. "I did. I recognized in him a spirit much like yours." She looked back up at him almost accusingly and added dryly, "I'm surprised that you did not."

Mulder found himself squirming slightly in his seat. "I—I did. I just never agreed with his methods."

She raised a slim, elegant brow at him. Thoughtfully, she murmured, "He was willing to do what needed to be done. In many ways, I suppose he accepted the consequences and risks of actions that others like you and I were unwilling to face. I can't agree with all that he did. For example, his interest in you. By following your lead, he ended up in a situation that led to his death. I'm sure that if—."

Mulder was stunned at her accusation, inherent in her statement. "Hold on, I'm just a little—Can we backtrack here, for a second? How can you possibly hold me responsible for that?"

Marita regarded him distantly, twisting the tall glass with her dainty fingers. "Trust works both ways, Mr. Mulder. He betrayed you in the beginning, true, but he was loyal to the wrong men in that situation—Cancerman intended to have him killed as the fall-guy, the scapegoat, for the snafu over the DAT tape and your partner's sister. Alex was in no way responsible for any of that. He—"

"He killed my father!" Mulder spat out.

"Yes. Because he would have had to kill you after your father told you the truth about the Project and his involvement in it. And because of your resentment and enmity towards him for that one action, fuelled by your own grief and frustrations, you betrayed him, in the end. I saw a copy of the last few minutes before his death, salvaged from the FBI surveillance tape before they doctored the cameras' evidence."

Mulder sat fuming, angry with himself and with Krycek. Angry with his father. His mother. And with the entire Consortium for having fucked over just about everyone and everything he knew in the course of his life. He sighed and closed his eyes. There were times, like right now, that he wished he could make it all just disappear and live a normal life somewhere divorced from all these considerations and past events that seemed to linger hauntingly upon him.

Marita flicked her lighter and lit up a cigarette.

Finally, opening his eyes once more, Mulder said, "Where is his body?"

She frowned. "It disappeared from the morgue soon after he was recovered from the scene of the shooting."

He took a deep breath. "Very well. One last question, if you'll allow me. Uh, the relics, artifacts from the alien ship? I believe that in the reports, in that file on Krycek and his foster father Arntzen and the KGB gulag, it mentioned a meeting in St Petersburg not long after the artifacts disappeared. You wrote that Krycek had them. The artifacts."

She frowned again. "Yes, but what he did with them, no one knows. I certainly have heard nothing."

Mulder pinched his nose, up between his brows and exhaled. "Okay. I'm still kind of at square one with those."

"I do know that they were powerful, and that Krycek considered them the key to shifting the reins of power from the Grays and the Black Oil back to human hands," Marita offered. "Although how they worked, I have no idea. He never mentioned or explained."

Mulder nodded. "Okay. It looks like my best bet is to try to track them down. Thanks for seeing me, Marita. I appreciate it. I know it isn't easy or pleasant for you to discuss this with me."

Her eyes narrowed. Then, she nodded too. "I was in the area. A few weeks from now, I'll be overseas. You caught me just in time. I can't say if I'll be available again though."

He smiled wryly. "Understood. Don't worry, I won't be trying to cash in on any favors or anything. Or yelling for help. I'm just glad you saw me at all. Thanks."

She stood and gathered up her handbag, her coat and left the table, pausing to stand beside him momentarily. She put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help. Take care, Mr. Mulder."

"I will. You, too."

Sitting glumly without really any more leads on the damned relics or how to reacquire them, Mulder realized that Marita had probably been jealous of him... For having secured Krycek's admiration. Jesus. Everyone tried to use everyone, and in the end it led only to old acquaintances remembering the ones who'd passed on.

How terrifically fucking depressing.

Mulder remembered the way Krycek had always looked at him, his eyes somehow hot and dark, open and inviting hurt, expecting rejection. He had the same look about him in the dreams.

Mulder had a horrible suspicion that he knew now why he'd always projected all his guilt and violent frustration onto Alex Krycek—it wasn't just that he hated him—he wanted him. And hated himself for wanting Krycek, so of course hated Krycek for that too. It was a horrible vicious circle and it continued even after Krycek's death. How fucked up was THAT?

In a way, the artifact was showing him in vivid, gruesomely inescapable Technicolor with each dream, that he was grieving over the rat-bastard and he WAS responsible for Krycek's presence on that beach. He was punishing himself for being blind to this truth previously, to his own feelings for Krycek and Alex's admiration of him, which was now so fucking obvious and of course completely hopeless. All he could ever hope to have in terms of any kind of resolution with Alex now was to let his ghost rest.

Talking was ALL they would ever have. Did he want more than that? His cheek burned where the memory of Alex kissing him that night so long ago in his apartment flared brightly.

Mulder realized, too, that since Alex was dead, his ghost was all he could ever have. The battle really WAS over him keeping Alex there. The worse trial was yet to come—could he let him go?

xx

The beach was unchanged, as ever. And this time, waiting for him as expected, Krycek sat leaning against one of the large rocks. He straightened, with his arms still folded before him, almost defiantly. "What kept you?"

"Ha, ha." Mulder didn't rise to the comment however, but plunged straight on. "Look, Alex, I think you should know that I made some headway today."

Krycek's brows lifted. "Oh? Should I be worried?"

"Only if I have to get the African witch doctor, as Scully recommended. I don't think you'd fancy spending the rest of eternity as a yam. I know you don't want to be here, but I think you may be stuck here until we can work out exactly why it is that the relic is keeping you here."

Krycek's eyes widened slightly. "What relic?"

"The one you liberated from our possession. Along with several men's lives and all of the research on it? The alien artifact from the ship that re-submerged off the Ivory Coast. The same artifact that Reyes was sent and gave to me a while ago. The one that gave me that telepathic mental breakdown and nearly lost my brain to the Smoking Man's surgeons? The one that is responsible for me having these dreams in the first place. This beach—this entire dream—is a recreation of when I first came into contact with it. It's a way for it to interface with my subconscious mind, and when I was operated on, they removed the part of my brain that responds immediately, which is why I'm not currently residing in a mental institution."

Krycek interrupted him with a steady stream of curses. They sounded Russian. "Where is it now? How did Reyes get it?"

"That's academic at this point. What we need to do is find out how to stop it from exerting its influence. It's too far away for it to be working on me, yet it still is. And you are still here. We need to find a way to break its hold." When Krycek didn't reply, Mulder stood resolutely and stared straight into his face. "Come on, share. I've told you what's going on, now you have to give me something in return. Otherwise we're not going to get anywhere, here."

Swallowing, Krycek said lowly, "The artifact is what is known as a magic square. Very few people recognize the significance of what these objects are or what they can do. There are two others I'd collected. I thought they were all in the same place. Obviously someone has discovered them and is now randomly distributing them."

"Unless they are somehow revealing their presence to unwitting people and using them as carrier pigeons, to find their way here," Mulder said, with a flash of insight. "That would explain why Reyes was pushed to give it to me. She was just another link in the chain."

Krycek flinched. "Damn."

Licking his lips, Mulder said, slowly, "That isn't all. Alex, we found your father's file, and Arntzen's, as well as all of the original UN reports that Marita Covarrubias made on you to the Syndicate Elders in New York City. We purged them from the DOD archives but I have a copy. I read it all. There was a picture of your mother."

Krycek froze, stunned into paralyzed silence. When he did speak it was a breathy whisper stained throughout with tenderness and pain. "Moi mata..." He cleared his throat and stood up, pushing away from the rock. "So why are we here? And why did the magic square want you to find it?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, at this point. I still don't know if you're real or not, or if you're just a projection taken from my subconscious, or if you are somehow an extension of the artifact's attempts to communicate with me."

Krycek gave him a sardonic look; one that clearly let Mulder know that Krycek considered what he had just said was completely nuts. He did nothing to enlighten Mulder however. "I've thought about your offer. I've decided to take you up on it."

"My offer?" Mulder was nonplussed.

Krycek smiled. "Yeah. Remember, that dream we had, when you told me to kiss your ass? And to kiss you properly?" He stepped close to Mulder and, taking Mulder's face between both his hands, he pressed a kiss on either cheek and with that same smile, leaned in to kiss Mulder full on the lips.

Mulder was rooted to the spot with surprise. Krycek just stood there, letting his mouth linger on Mulder's, undemanding and somehow strangely warm and right. He was almost upset when Krycek pulled back a little. Then the words began to filter through.

"I think you remember what comes next, don't you?"

Fuck, no. "Alex, you are NOT kissing my ass. Stay away from my ass. Far away." Fear shot through Mulder at the thought of Alex realizing just how much he wanted this, wanted him. After all they'd been through, after all the times he'd railed against him. And now that he could never have him. Except... maybe this was their only chance to resolve this tension that existed between them, this desire...

Krycek leaned forward again, to place a slow, smoldering kiss on Mulder's mouth, this time letting his teeth gently catch that full lower lip lightly before breathing, "Nice flavor, Mulder."

"What?" Mulder couldn't think past the fact that this was truly, supremely bizarre. That it felt good. That it was a fucking tragedy that it could be this good and the man was fucking DEAD. He wanted to cry again and pulled back, out of Krycek's grasp. "Flavor?"

"Yeah. Vanilla Fox." The smile became a carnivorous grin. "Stop me. I dare you."

"From what? Stop you from what?" Mulder asked, doubtfully. He wasn't sure he liked where this was going.

Krycek casually stuck out one foot and before Mulder realized what was happening, Krycek had pushed him down so that he fell on his butt in the sand. Krycek was on top of him and had turned him over before he could react, although he began struggling as he felt his jeans suddenly pulled down, baring his ass to the exceptionally bright sky for the whole empty beach and Krycek to gaze their fill.

"No—" Mulder choked out, scrabbling for leverage, before going still with shock at the unmistakable feeling of Krycek's hot mouth pressing into his right buttock. This HAD to be happening—it felt so real.

"Mm. Lovely." The grin was still in Krycek's voice and then a wet tongue suddenly swiped upwards over the skin where he'd kissed him.

Mulder jumped, startled. He didn't struggle, but instead tried to rally himself. Coldly, he said, "Even when you're dead you can't keep your hands to yourself, Alex, you pervert."

The sudden use of teeth made him yelp slightly. Krycek'd had the temerity to bite him. Enough was enough. He tried to renew his struggles. Krycek was mouthing his way upwards now; still holding Mulder down but sliding his way up the t-shirt Mulder wore. "You can tell me, Foxy. Did you like it? I've thought a long time about it—kissing you, properly, you said. But I'm sorry I'm going to have to disappoint you on that last request. Try as I might, I can't kiss my own ass. Maybe you could do it for me." The grin was gone and in its place, a rising heat in Krycek's voice that was all at once telltale and completely inflaming.

This felt far too real to be a dream. He was hard, so hard that his erection almost hurt as it was pressed into the sand. He found himself suddenly free as Krycek stood up, letting him go and the disappointment made him bite his tongue in the effort not to complain.

He couldn't believe a word of what Krycek might have told him in life, but dead men tell no tales. He wondered if Krycek would lie to him now. He pulled up his jeans and turned to him. "Alex? Is it true? That our agendas have been all too similar throughout the years?"

Krycek shook his head. "Sorry, Foxy. No freebies. Besides, you didn't kiss my ass."

He flushed, and got to his feet. "No, and I won't. Go haunt someone else. Get them to do it."

Krycek laughed bitterly. "You're the one who's haunting me." He said it like it was an accusation.

He stopped, stock-still. Slowly, the realization dawned. "We're sharing the same dream."

Krycek looked at him, quizzically. "Yeah. You're a quick one. Fast on the uptake. Jesus, Mulder, how long did THAT take?"

Mulder began to smile though. "You're alive."

Krycek blinked, a look of surprise creeping over him although Mulder could see how quickly it was gone in the next moment. "You're crazy."

"No, I'm not." Mulder slowly shook his head. "This artifact, this magic square, it's enhanced my intuitive ability. I can feel it. And you're not dead." It was with a burst of happiness that he realized what this could mean.

Krycek took a step backwards and folded his arms in front of him. He lifted his chin. "You saw me go down, and we both know that Skinner executed me."

He refused to back down on this though, now that he had got hold of it. "Alex. Tell me the truth."

Krycek looked mad at this, however. "You're always demanding the truth. I've told you over and over there IS no ultimate truth, Mulder."

The relief that flooded over him at the knowledge was a balm, for Alex WAS alive, he was certain of it now. Thank god. He had a second chance. He could wait forever and a day. Reconciliation was the name of the game. He wouldn't fuck this up now, not when it meant so much. It was no longer about forgiveness... No, it was so much more.

"No, YOUR truth, Alex. You're alive, aren't you?" He was nodding as he stepped forward, inching his way towards Krycek, feeling his way with his toes in the sand, knowing that they'd been following this particular path since the beginning of their relationship. Mulder smiled. He stopped, a foot away from Krycek who had backed up against the rock and couldn't go any further. "I can wait. I've waited this long."

Krycek's eyes narrowed. "For what?"

"For you." Mulder turned away and regarded the horizon where the sea met the sky in an indistinct blurry line. He looked upwards, bothered and distracted by something. "Where's the sun?" he asked, suddenly. The fact that there was no sun should have tipped him off to something in this dream of his—no, THEIRS—that was the key to understanding how to navigate from this point to others in their shared mental framework. He was about to look back down to Alex when he woke up.

xx

Damn!

Damn it. He should have concentrated on getting more out of Alex. He needed to know Alex's whereabouts! Not to mention letting him know that he actually did appreciate those kisses. All of them. Even the more interesting ones, below the belt.

But he knew now that the relic, that magic square as Alex called it, wasn't letting either of them go until they'd resolved their differences AND solved the mystery of how to transport themselves outside the dream environs. That was probably the whole point, solving both their inner psychological problems and teaching them to learn how to astrally navigate at the same time.

And this of course meant that until they had done both, Alex was just as stuck with him as he was with Alex. He laughed quietly to himself, feeling the waterbed quiver beneath him.

Meanwhile, he was sporting a painfully stone-hard erection. Closing his eyes and replaying how it had felt to have Alex holding him down in the sand, those warm lips moving over his asscheeks, that tongue trailing on his skin—and even that bite—oh god—He quickly brought himself to completion.

He felt a huge degree of relief and satisfaction at having finally solved the question of the pain in Alex's eyes. Those large, wounded, expressive eyes that somehow had always been begging him to understand...

Yeah, he understood now. All he had to do now was lay the trap and wait. He'd use himself as the bait. Meanwhile, the dreams would help him to find Alex. He grinned, his hand resting on his now-quiescent cock, remembering the wide smile on Alex's face when it had finally become apparent that it was the only option left to play. Mulder vaguely wondered who was seducing whom.

The relief at knowing also that he had been given a second chance, that they both had, was delightful. He felt lightheaded and rather giddy. Alex Krycek wasn't dead after all. By some miracle, and Mulder still had no proof or any idea how it was possible, Alex had survived. There was the matter of that left arm, of course. And that brought a slight doubt to his mind. There was no telling in what form Alex might have survived that final head wound that brought him down. But to be that lucid and able, in the shared dream state, Alex had to be in pretty good shape.

He closed his eyes, finally able to feel at rest for the first time in long while.

xx

Fuck. FUCK! I'm hurriedly packing, cramming things into the backpack and the smaller bag, deliberating which destination to try first. I have a sinking feeling that no matter where I run to, he's going to end up finding me.

Okay. Deep breath, stop panicking. Gotta think clearly, here. Keep a clear head.

He's onto me. He KNOWS. It's only a matter of time. He's bound to catch up with me sooner or later. Stupid, STUPID to give in to the impulse to kiss him.

O'Hare International beckons.

Color me outa here...

xx

Magic Square 3: The Artifact

Jamiwilsen@hotmail.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]