Go to notes and disclaimers


Angels III

Dark Angel
by Jami Wilsen


Air Force Outpost
Northwest Wyoming

General Linden set down the documents he was reading as the door opened, his visitor knocking upon it as he came in. Linden's eyes widened as he took in the dark-clad man, who appeared quite happy to shut the door behind him and come to stand in front of Linden's desk.

"Can I help you?" Linden asked, letting his astonishment show in his voice. He was a little perplexed at the stranger's boldness and wondered how he'd got past security.

"Actually, I think I can help you." The man put out a hand, saying, "Alex Krycek. A pleasure to meet you, General. I just arrived from FE Warren Air Base in Cheyenne. I'm here to straighten out affairs after the, ah, 'incident' last night." Linden shook his hand. Krycek indicated the chair. "Do you mind?"

"Go ahead." Linden nodded, wondering if Mr. Krycek was as dangerous as he looked. A man in black—it was almost a cliché. "What is this? NSA? Naval Intel? Who are you with?"

"None of the above... And all of them, really. Let's just say I'm representing the last shreds of sanity in a situation already shot to hell."

Linden gave him a look. "Really. And what do you want from me?"

"It's... more what I can do for you, General. You've got a major snafu to clean up, here. Have you recovered the disc yet?"

Linden leaned back in his chair, a little more at ease since this Krycek fellow obviously seemed nonchalantly relaxed about the truth of the downed saucer. "Tell you what: I'll tell you that when you explain to me exactly what you're doing here and what you want."

Krycek gave him an affable smile. "You want the evidence to disappear. So do I. We certainly don't need the remains of that craft hanging around, once it's found. Wouldn't you say the most reasonable thing under the circumstances is to return it to its rightful owners?"

Linden sighed through his nose. "I suppose you're going to tell me you know who they are. Just how the hell do you suggest we do that?""

"I have contacts. In the interests of national security and international peace, I have an understanding with them that should provide us with the appropriate solution." Krycek stood, reaching a hand into his inner jacket pocket and handing it Linden.

Linden took the folded piece of paper and scanned it. He looked at Krycek over the top of it. "I'm supposed to believe they're right under our noses?"

Krycek settled himself back down in his seat. Linden noticed that the man held his left arm stiffly, almost unnaturally. He blinked, realizing Krycek had a prosthetic. This guy had seen action; that was for sure.

"We haven't seen anything like that in the area. All we've got are a lot of bogeys after dark, buzzing that damned burial site and confusing our radar."

Krycek shook his head. "It's an underground base."

Linden dropped the paper on the desk and leaned back in his chair. "Even if we went up and knocked on their door, assuming we could locate it, how are we supposed to gain entry into this underground facility?"

Krycek withdrew a strange looking object from another pocket, seemingly out of an endless source—Linden found himself wondering what the man would pull out next. Krycek held it up. It was a curious, flat silvery oblong-shaped bar, with rounded corners and strange engraved symbols on it. It didn't look heavy, the way he held it. "Our calling card. It's like a pass key."

Linden sighed. "Why contact me? Why don't you just mosey on over there and get it done?"

Krycek frowned at him slightly. "You're already involved. You need to bring the remains of the ship to them." Krycek shot him a look. "Do you trust anyone else to accompany me?"

"No. Very well. Hang around, feel free. I can't exactly give you a guaranteed time frame for when we might find it though. It's kind of elusive. Must be some kind of dampening field around it or something."

Krycek nodded. "Cloaking technology. Scan the ground with EM field detectors. You should find something. Enough to find out where it fell. Their propulsion system leaves a noticeable trace. But you won't get it looking for visible wreckage."

Linden was thinking. Finally he said, "All right. I'll go along with this. God knows I want that thing out of my hair. But I sure hope you know what you're doing, walking right up to them. How do you know they'll accept our overtures as friendly?"

Krycek smiled once more. "We have this." He held up the metallic bar again. "But we don't want to be compromised anymore than we already are. How much attention has the 'plane crash' story already attracted?"

"Well, it's not bad. We've managed to minimize it with a search and rescue story. Who was responsible for this, do you know?"

"No. That's out of our hands. But how are the locals? Did anyone see anything? Any witnesses?"

"Some, but that kind of sighting is common around here. This place has a reputation. Not enough to be a flap, but enough to cause stories. Come to think of it, we did see one guy today, a tourist. But he was FBI. Said he was on a fishing vacation."

Krycek's eyes widened slightly and he sat up straighter. "Mulder? Special Agent Fox Mulder?"

"That's the one," Linden said. "Can't forget a name like that. Why? What's he in all this?"

Krycek frowned slightly, considering. "The fly in the ointment. Although I'm sure he sees himself as the bee getting the goods. I'm responsible for him in this situation though. It can't be helped now. It was just before the crash."

"Yeah, well the crash story was what brought him, I think. He didn't buy it. He's a savvy guy."

Krycek sighed and stood up. "I'll deal with him if he shows up. Look, I'll be around. Let me know when they locate the ship. I'm going to make a few calls."

Linden stood as well. "Mr. Krycek. Who do you work for?"

Krycek grinned. "It depends on how you look at it. I don't work for anyone. At the moment though, I guess I'm working for the benefit of the American public, the continued stability of the military establishment, such as it is... And our relations with the little grays. This particular group, anyway."

Linden chuckled. "So it's true, all the rumors about the gray aliens? They're the pilots."

"They're the local immigrants. Some of the bases they have here have been around since the early Thirties." Krycek stated this matter-of-factly.

"Well, the thought of seeing them gives me the willies."

Krycek had an enigmatic smirk on his face. "Believe me, they're the friendlier ones. I've met some who'd give you nightmares."

"Thanks," Linden said. "I really needed to hear that."

Krycek shrugged, his hand on the door handle, and pausing before opening the door to say, "Just trying to reassure you. They won't eat us. They'll probably be grateful. Depends if we recover their pilots or not."

Reticulan Underground Base
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway
Sunlight Basin, Wyoming

Mulder found himself staring with some trepidation at the two expressionless gray Reticulans standing in front of them. After Daein, these beings looked too alien in comparison. Although that may have been due to the fact that his new Sassani acquaintance possessed a certain amount of emotional sensitivity, whereas these beings did not. Daein looked as though he was communicating with them. Wordlessly, they turned and—vanished. Into thin air.

"How... where..." Mulder said, a dozen explanations flashing through his mind, including bilocation, matter-transference, phase variance...

//Nothing so terribly complicated, // Daein smiled at him. //They possess the ability to project themselves. As do I. But you could learn how; it only takes practice. //

Mulder began to realize that the previous reports of abductees he had read referred to just such abilities; only he had supposed it was something physical, not metaphysical.

//There really is no difference, // Daein quipped, but he didn't elaborate despite Mulder's twinge of curiosity. //They say that you may accompany me. //

"Great, that's... great. But how am I supposed to do that? I don't know how to project myself."

Daein shook his head at him. //Take hold of my hand. //

As he did so, Mulder abruptly found himself standing still while the rest of the world faded away, replaced by the surroundings of what appeared to be a huge cavern. There were other Reticulans there, working amidst the saucer-shaped craft that sat docked inside it.

//We are in the main hangar, here. We must proceed to the Council room, // Daein told him.

Mulder walked beside Daein, following him to where the Council room was presumably located. As they passed the large ships, the occasional Reticulan gray looked up at them, their big black eyes inscrutably observing them. Mulder felt like he was in a dream-like state of awareness.

It was all happening so suddenly. One moment he was looking for a crashed UFO, the next he was chatting with a little hybrid alien being, then waiting for little grays to pick him up... And now, he was here. In an actual alien base. It was all so matter-of-fact. If only Scully could see him now. He wondered why he wasn't more tense and excited, as he'd always thought he would be in the event of meeting extra-terrestrials and being allowed to view their operations.

//Reality is always so much more mundane than we fear or expect, // Daein murmured to him. //I hope you are not disappointed. //

"Not at all," Mulder said to him, in an undertone.

//No need to speak, my friend, // Daein smiled to him. //Just think it. //

Daein could sense the uncertainty in Mulder and sent him a detailed series of images that shared with him the entirety of the base, it's layout, everything that Daein knew of it's physical properties.

Down to the last detail. Mulder swallowed, hard, realizing he could now draw complicated blueprints of the base and the operations that went on inside it.

Trusting me with rather a lot here, aren't you?

//It is not a question of trust, but of vibration. There is no need to blindly believe, pursue faith or trust, if one already knows and is sure of another's intentions. //

No kidding, Mulder thought, dryly, recalling every instance that he'd been uncertain of anyone, everyone, in his life. This was the first time he'd felt at home with any other being, let alone an entire base-full.

//But is 'home' not where your heart is? // Daein queried. //Sometimes, your notions and preconceptions of these things intrigue me with the inherent paradoxical nature of your mental framework. For example, it is perplexing to me how you can continue to deny your emotional needs. They are so strong, after all. They rule your actions in ways that make you appear volatile, unpredictable. //

I surprise myself too, Mulder thought in reflection. I never know how I'm going to feel until it happens. But it defines me. I like to think that it's not all bad, you know? It's what makes me human. Sometimes unpredictability introduces a chaos factor into the mix, making stale and stagnant things a little more interesting. I wouldn't want the gift of prophecy. I like not knowing the outcome. It gives me hope.

//Hope and fear go hand in hand in your state. Chaos is not random, it is synchronous, else we would not have been able to shift into this base, following their vibration signatures. //

Mulder was curious. How did we do that? How does it happen?

//You are already everywhere. If you know that, you can transport yourself anywhere that you believe yourself to be. That is a gross oversimplification of a complex quantum dimensional understanding, and yet it is a simple process. I wouldn't undertake it lightly. One must learn it gradually and practice. //

They were making their way down the long curving corridor that led past the dormitory cubicles, a series of personal domestic rooms in which the base's inhabitants lived. And Mulder laughed suddenly.

"These corridors—you really do cater for the tall and wide!" He could see the humor in it now, firsthand.

It was true. The halls were nearly triangular in that they tapered as they sloped upwards to provide head-room for taller folk, and were wider at the base.

Daein shrugged with a mental grin. //We must provide for all sizes and shapes of visitors. Note that if we did not, you would have to stoop to proceed through them. //

They were coming to the large communications room that sat just outside the Council room. It was a busy network of near-silent grays all working avidly at screens and communicating with each other. Through Daein's mental connectivity with him, Mulder was able to pick up a busy, comforting background hum of thoughts flowing into one another. He suddenly understood what Daein had referred to before, about the Reticulans seeing humans as 'lost units'. Each gray was a node in a network of their collective mind, with a sense of security and order. Yet, they were aware of the flow of synchronicity surrounding their collective consciousness and did not fight the individual information flowing through each of them as unique observational witnesses and experiencers.

Daein turned to him. //You will find this interesting, Mulder. Come and look at the array. //

The other grays seemed to defer to Daein as he came into the room, actually moving out of his way. It crashed into Mulder's conscious awareness that he had not been given any indication as yet, as to Daein's designated status among these people.

Daein was laughing silently. //It was not my intention to mislead you with deliberate omission. I thought you understood—as a hybrid, my status is well-defined. //

Very funny, thought Mulder, Daein's subtle wit beginning to make him feel foolish, despite the knowledge that this was also not Daein's intention. He cleared his throat and said, "What are you? What's your rank, among these people?"

//It is not a rank. It is a heritage, by rights of genetic superiority. Not in the sense of being better than either race, but containing some of the best traits of both human and Reticulan genes. I am what you might call a go-between, a mere diplomat. I can speak for both races, to each other. //

Mulder smiled. "An ambassador... a spokesman."

//That, too. // Daein stopped before several ovular screens. //Observe. //

Mulder saw with some admiration the crystal-clear holographic projections from the screens, better even than digital quality, scenes from around the world that were displayed around the room.

He had the sensation of standing in a nerve center, a pulsing organ in a greater organism.

//An apt analogy. We are in one base among hundreds. Here, we can link with other bases, and other races' operations, observe events, implement outward activity and monitor any transmission along any cable or human communications channel. We can also monitor the status of every contactee and individual in the database. //

Mulder had the accompanying image of a giant web of information, carefully collected names and faces, data on every human being alive that they had been keeping tabs on for years... It was a staggering amount of information and Mulder was nearly sickened by both the overload and the breach of privacy.

//No privacy has been invaded without the express permission of the being in question, even if voluntary acceptance was obtained subconsciously, // Daein said, with the added block on that line of thought that let Mulder know he was not going to elaborate further, particularly as he could sense Mulder's indignation.

//The hybrid program must continue, // Daein said, a note of absolute implacability entering his voice for the first time. //We are saving both races, not just the grays. Human societies on this world have self-destructive tendencies and waiting for the mass majority to evolve to a more developed evolutionary standard will take too long. The grays need to save their race now, and this affords us the opportunity to ensure the safety of most of the psychic matrices of the beings involved personally with this process. //

Mulder snorted. "So, it's not an excuse, it's a reason. I guess it'll have to do."

//Do you blame us for attempting this project? //

"Not at all. I can see where you're coming from on it. Just don't expect everyone to agree you've gone about it the right way, is all."

//Mulder, your own government wants to instigate a monitoring system much like this one, with their own database, for the purposes of none other than control and petty exploitation. As well as implanting of chips for monitoring and control. We implant chips merely for tagging purposes. And we are running this project for the future benefit and salvation of both races. //

"It's still invasive and hard to swallow. No one wants to hear about this—they'd freak out."

//Panic, yes. The suicidal impulse to end one's existence in the face of absolute uncertainty and the destruction of one's worldview. We are very familiar with that particular human reaction. Don't worry; the secret protects itself. We would not be able to reveal our plans fully, nor would we expect to be believed or understood. //

No shit, Mulder thought. Nobody would believe me after this, either. Not that anyone ever has. He felt suddenly ashamed. "Daein? I don't want you to think I'm ungrateful for this opportunity. Thank you."

//Hm. You are welcome. I wasn't sure how the Reticulans would feel, having your presence here. You are filled with much personal grievance and hostility towards us in general, despite your admiration for our technology and the novelty of our appearance and vibrations. //

Worried that I might pollute the place with my impure thoughts? Mulder grinned, wondering suddenly how the Reticulans would react to his all-too-human vice of indulging in vivid mental porno films in his head... In the absence of the videos, that is.

Daein smiled with him. //They do not understand that. They tolerate it. They have no sexual feelings or comprehension. It is one of the more interesting aspects of the human-Reticulan hybridization program that we are conducting here—the investigation into psychosexual behaviorisms among humans, grays, hybrids... You are considered a hybrid like me, and they attribute your habitual propensities as a human characteristic. //

Cagey, aren't you? Why can't you just tell me what you know I'm wondering about? Mulder found himself thinking this without considering the possible effrontery of it.

But Daein only chuckled at him. //Very well. The Sassani methods of reproduction include a measure of foreplay, only it is not a courtship you would recognize. Attraction is based on vibrations, like any form of communication. The sensations and the experience are all the more keen and intense, however, for being of a vibratory nature on the level of the mental and conscious plane. It is not as base and instinctual as in the usual human mating sense. //

"You make it sound like we're beasts," Mulder accused, his gaze flicking from one screen to another, wondering if every scene that was displayed had a stationary camera installed or if they were from remote sensors.

//Remote observing stations, hidden from human detection, // Daein replied. //And we do not consider humans 'beasts', despite many of humankind's hostile and violent proclivities. We think of you as self-aware, self-conscious beings who are not yet aware of your own potential. The DNA in every human has unlimited, untapped power, but this you already know. // Daein was referring to Mulder's experience with the Origin Ship, and what they had learned from it. //It is enough potential to have many of your sibling races currently envious and afraid, actually. Hence the touchy political climate of the beings involved. There are so many races waiting for the day when the Earth can be joined to the interstellar community. But that would end the experiment and we would no longer have a pure, isolated system. //

In other words, we're quarantined, Mulder thought.

//Yes. For your own protection, as well as ours. Imagine humans contaminating the outer planets in this solar system with their intentions for colonization and mining of resources. Imagine the possible risk of overload and culture shock, as well as absorption and annihilation should the other races descend upon Earth too quickly and begin social and commercial exchange! //

Daein stopped, and straightened. //We have visitors. We must join them in the Council room now. This is... unexpected. //

"What is it? Who are they? What happened?" Mulder was concerned.

Daein gave a mental shrug. //The commander of the air force team that was looking for my crashed ship, the man who let us go. He has returned it. They found the wreckage and now wish to talk. He is here with another human. This is good. They wish to ensure that we do not intend retaliatory reparations. They appear to be open to negotiating a peaceful dialogue. //

The Council room doors slid back and they entered, Mulder following behind Daein feeling awkwardly human in his jeans and jacket. But he was not prepared for the sight that awaited him.

Several little Reticulan grays with large black eyes, as well as two tall grays with the same features stood around the big, round, matte-silver table, with two humans—General John Linden and... Mulder's stomach lurched, a dizzying combination of reactions cartwheeling through his head... Alex Krycek, dressed in black. Of course. Always black, these days. Mulder felt kind of sick. This was beginning to feel like a bad dream.

Daein's sudden mental presence was overwhelming inside his head, calming and stabilizing. Nothing would be involuntarily revealed or extracted from his mind. Daein understood his wish for suppression and privacy at this moment and helped him to shield his tide of complex responses to this unnerving situation. //I will speak for you, to them. They accept that, as we are both hybrids and now friends, as well as possessing a mutual agreement of exchange, earlier. // By 'them', Daein meant the other grays.

The tall grays made Mulder think of near-insectoid features, although that may have been merely from the spindly length of their limbs and their height.

Mulder and Daein went to stand to one side of the round table, looking at the others. He met Krycek's eyes but the other man turned away, and did not look over again. Mulder was relieved to find Daein's buffering presence between him and the rest of the room. A veil of discretion, he thought with gratitude towards his new friend. He didn't want to embarrass himself with untoward behavior in the present company and seeing Krycek there had all the inflammable qualities of a match being flung into the dry tinder of his mind. He ruthlessly quelled the memories of their last encounter on the plane, coldly.

One of the tall grays was a female. She broadcast a general thought into the room, and it reached them all effortlessly, laced with the liquid smoothness of her mind. She was apparently very old. She was directing it at the humans present. // Our neighbors. You have returned our property and conveyed both it and our personnel with peaceful intent. We are thankful. //

"Y—You're welcome. I see no reason why we can't allow your base to continue to function here, undisturbed. We'll try to keep interference to a minimum. The earlier incident was a grave mistake. You have our sincere apologies and regret." General Linden looked a bit spaced. It was obviously his first time here too, as well as it being his first contact experience in meeting extra-terrestrial life of any kind.

He kept looking at Daein as if trying to remember something. Finally Daein took pity on him and unblocked the man's memory from the afternoon, saying, //It was I. Mulder here was a more appropriate aide, I'm sure you will agree. //

Linden coughed once and said, "Ah, yes. Absolutely. I don't think my men would have been able to handle it. Ah, you, I mean. It's been quite enough getting them to transport the ship back here."

The tall gray female seemed to be the primary speaker for the base's staff and directors. // It is agreeable to us to remain on good terms. A non-interference policy will be appreciated. But what of the instigators of this act? Why the senselessness of the perpetrators' intent? //

Mulder realized with a start that she reminded him mostly of the being so vividly portrayed by the Communion hype. He began to understand why that film and Streiber's accounts had been allowed to circulate so widely. It would be a shock for people to meet her kind too suddenly, despite her inoffensive, almost impersonal vibe. Daein said to him, privately, in a corner of their minds, //Exactly. Immuring them from shock by slowly inducting them into familiarity with the images. //

Linden glanced at Krycek beside him, and said, "I can answer that. The man responsible for giving the order to shoot down..." he looked at Daein, "... Daein's—craft has been dealt with. He apparently acted autonomously, outside of any chain of command. It wasn't an act of aggression but of greed. He was trying to make a point by exercising his power. We are willing to discuss terms, to compensate you for the loss and the trouble."

One of the small grays was staring at Krycek. // What is the Rebels' position in this? //

Krycek met the Reticulan stare unflinchingly. "They gave me that pass, the key, because they understand the need for discretion. There was no need for this to be blown out of proportion. They are bystanders only. Their position remains as it always has; they continue to resist the efforts of the Black Oil faction. They have a vested interest in seeing a successful conclusion in the fight against the Black Oil spreading beyond this world." His gaze almost flicked towards Mulder—and Mulder could see it. But he steadfastly refused to turn and face Mulder.

The tall female said, //Your group of Elders are no more. Where now is organized human resistance? Is there a possibility of collaboration and requests for assistance? We cannot involve ourselves directly, lest we risk compromising the integrity of our projects. But if there is now a more rational, congenial human leadership, we can under the auspices of the original deal begin to act more overtly. //

"That—would be premature," Krycek said. "There isn't a united voice and whatever resistance there is still lacks any kind of ratification from any nation, let alone all of them together."

//Indeed, // Daein commented, //so much for the United Nations. Ah, well. It is a good idea to create such a body, even if they can't do anything yet. It provides a hopeful template, and the illusion of unification in the eyes of the rest of the world. //

Linden said, "The public doesn't want to be disturbed by any of it. We're doing our best to maintain a status quo of plausible denial."

//Very well. We shall keep intensifying our efforts towards the entertainment media complex. // The tall female seemed fine with this.

Mulder found himself speaking without really knowing what kind of alien power bases these beings were really representing. Still, he had to say it. "Who's running things, then? Don't tell me the entire planet's on automatic, with a few people like us running around patching up holes when we spring a leak?"

Daein told him in an aside, //Krycek is thinking, 'Running things... Want the job? You're welcome to it.' I think he feels bitter that you are one of the people who carries the needle and makes the leaks in the first place. You undo his efforts to maintain stability in a situation that is wildly oscillating. //

Fine, he thought. That's Krycek's problem, not mine. Krycek was still avoiding his eye. Mulder looked at the tall female stubbornly. He nevertheless wanted her answer on this.

She returned his scrutiny and then gently said, //We will not decide the fate of other beings. Free will is the imperative primary right of each native entity here on this world. To decide for them would be disastrous. There must be a common voice, a consensus. They do not want to be responsible for it all, so they let the current government continue to run things for them. Individuals such as yourself are operating outside of the system and thus are not part of the system. You are the alien element in your own system and are therefore as destructive to its stability as we are when you challenge their decisions to remain as they are. //

Mulder flushed, feeling slightly put down. "There are plenty of people who feel oppressed by the current system and would like nothing more than for the atmosphere of conspiratorial suppression to end."

Linden and Krycek were staring at him, wondering why he was challenging these beings. What did he have to gain from this line of questioning? If they couldn't see that someone needed to ask these kinds of questions, to hell with them. Resolutely, he turned back to the grays.

She contemplated him intently. Suddenly even Daein's protective mental shield was withdrawn under the pressure and could not withstand her piercing mind. Eventually, she said, //If you will compose a new structural form of governmental organization for this world, bearing in mind the variables of the unpredictable and growing collective evolutions of all human beings, as well as the complex political structure that exists between all races and yours at this time, then we will gladly discuss it with you. We have no wish to impose a dictatorship of 'alien invaders' upon this world, or cause panic by frightening people with our presence. To those who truly wish to know the truth, they find their ways here quite naturally, as you have today. //

One of the other shorter grays chimed in, //You are open-minded. How many of your fellow humans would claim to possess the same hybrid genes and abilities that you do, let alone agree to accept your ontology as an everyday common reality? //

Feeling defeated by his own innate understanding of the vast majority of human apathy towards the supernatural in general, Mulder leaned forward with his hands on the table and sighed.

Daein said, //I would suggest that further discussion on this subject be conducted at another time. This is not our place, to question the current state of human/Reticulan relations. There are still people with dark vibrations who are speaking for the public, because the majority of the public wish to remain in the dark. Let us concentrate now on cementing a new understanding between each of us here. //

//The issue is an agreement of neutral non-interference concerning this base and your local military presence, General Linden, // said the tall female gray. //It is agreed? //

"Yeah, agreed. Do you require any kind of compensation, though?"

//No. It is enough that Daein is unharmed and we have made interesting new contacts here today. But we are open to any offer you may wish to present. We will pursue further discussion of our concerns later, Fox Mulder. //

Mulder nodded, wondering if he had just nearly caused an interstellar incident, himself.

Daein was laughing softly and sent him a private tendril of thought: //Never fear. They find you interesting, Mulder. You are so passionate about such relatively unemotional issues, intellectual and political concerns that affect such vast sections of people, in such a personal manner. And if I may breach etiquette yet again, General Linden is privately wondering if you need to 'get laid'. //

Sourly, Mulder straightened and folded his arms before him.

//How interesting, // remarked Daein to him, in that little whisper again, //Alex Krycek is thinking that you look 'very cute' when you pout. //

Oh, shut up, why don't you, Mulder thought, sulking, aware that he must look like he was pouting even more. He felt like he'd been strung along, led right into it. Staring back at the assembled grays, he felt betrayed. They had been the ones to bring up the whole issue of 'who was representing human resistance to the Black Cancer threat'.

It didn't help that he felt absolutely bemused at Krycek's presence there, the rat-bastard now seemingly representing the interests of humanity. It didn't seem fair. Why him? Why were they listening to Alex Krycek? He knew Krycek was hardly an ethical, trustworthy person. Regardless of his own personal feelings of ambivalence towards him. He hated Krycek, even though the man was... what? What was Krycek to him? Mulder couldn't even begin to sort it out at the moment. The situation was too intense. There were far greater issues swirling about in his head. Damn Alex, anyway! He wasn't responsible for the man's attraction to him. Jesus.

Daein said softly to him, //Have you never considered that the Black Cancer threat was specifically designed to rally the selfish and dark leaders of your people? To force them to work together against a common 'enemy', and hence create a united voice? Someone earlier on in the last fifty years decided upon this as a sufficiently menacing threat, then approached the Syndicate Elders, who formed the Consortium to defend against it—in their own selfish way. Men with power do not like to think of losing their power. But you might like to know that not only are there ways to eradicating the Black Cancer but also all forms of cancer... and providing free energy to the entire planet. Now. You might wish to think on this. A world free of disease, the need for fuel consumption, and poverty... What would such a world offer? And what of the balance of commerce and politics in the developed nations? //

General Linden was saying, "I think I can also speak for my colleagues and superiors in Washington when I say that we could erect an enforced demarcation zone around all the portal entries to this base. Nothing flashy or eye-catching. Just enough to deter hikers and local residents from poking around."

//That will not be necessary, but we thank you for the offer, // the tall female replied. //We have not had a single intruder or accidental visitor in all the years we have had this base. But we would be glad for the protection of our craft in this area, in your air space. We would see that as a gesture of goodwill and an appropriate recompense for the attack on Daein's ship yesterday. //

The grays seemed satisfied with this outcome and began to leave the room. The tall female remained, however, and said to Linden and Krycek, //We have a request. We wish for you to remain here for a time, and oversee our operations. Then you will better understand our position and will be able to represent our interests to your people for this locale and the projects we are invested in. //

Daein turned to Mulder. //You may come with me. //

Mulder followed Daein out of the Council room and said, "Will I ever meet you again? Do you think I'll ever be allowed back here?" He realized he was going to miss Daein terribly. "Look, I'm really sorry about my outburst in there. I just—I couldn't stand hearing that and not—not speaking up—"

//We understand, Mulder. You know, you have never found your way to any of our bases. Until now. You never stumbled onto us, and until you found me today, your intuitive ability has always steered you to lesser clues or towards the government conspiratorial matters that your father and close society with the Elders and the FBI has patterned you with. It is a major step along your own path that you have come this far. You might want take a moment to consider what progress you have achieved. The closer you examine your own inner truths, the closer you will come to finding external ones. If we wish to meet again, we will. And as you do, so do I. So it will be. //

They were making their way through the base, passing through a large cafeteria. Daein wanted him to see other beings momentarily, in passing. Mulder couldn't help staring. There were odd collections of people eating at tables, quietly talking amongst themselves in strange tongues. There were blond, nearly human-appearing people, orange-skinned beings, bizarre and hairless feline creatures with enormous eyes. Each and every one of them had an unmistakable sentient intelligence in their demeanor. They were all completely unique and yet so at ease in their environment here. There was a definite ambience of peaceful cooperation amongst so many varied types of people, with such different backgrounds.

By the time they had moved on down another hallway, Mulder was speechless. He felt like his body was an automaton, moving woodenly along after Daein.

Daein was laughing. //Is it too much, too soon? You wished to see everything. //

He cleared his throat as they made their way through a display of growing plants, profusions of greenery. "I never expected this. I didn't know it would be like this, is all. It's kind of outside my normal sphere of experience. Don't get me wrong—it's great. It's more than great. Just... I know I won't be able to talk about it to anyone and I'm going to have to return to a life of solitary commitment to finding 'truths', as you said. It's a lonely road."

//Well, perhaps you can take some comfort in knowing that you will need assimilation time to digest this new reality and incorporate it in some way with your wider view of the planet. And besides, there is always your acquaintance, Alex Krycek. He has been here too, and shared this time and space with you. You may choose to disbelieve it but he remains one of the few who advocate and support you, even where he sees it necessary to do so without your knowledge. //

Mulder growled, "Just what I always needed, having to hear from an alien hybrid that Alex is my only human friend. Thanks."

//Yes, // Daein commented, dryly, //you seem incapable of realizing it for yourself. I am only reinforcing what you are already aware of but are choosing to ignore. // But he fell silent on this afterwards, aware that Mulder's state was quite fragile at the moment and could not handle more discussion of both Krycek and the fate of the planet at the same time.

Mulder sighed. Why was it that whenever he ended up getting close to the truth about the future, the truth of the government's involvement with extra-terrestrials, the 'fate of humanity', and the conspiracies and alien presence in their midst, he always ended up having to face Krycek? There was something so irritating and yet intriguing about that. Synchronicity? Maybe the chaos flow of the universe was trying to tell him something. He would figure out what it was later. Right now, he was trying to keep the sudden loneliness at bay. The sense of impending loss was starting to make him morose.

"I wish I could just stay here, for a while," Mulder said, wistfully, looking around the displays of green plants. "You know, hang out and just... watch. Learn things. Spend time with you and these people." Going back to human culture and society at this point was a real downer, after seeing a glimpse of something alternative and better.

Daein shrugged mentally. //Who knows? We might be able to organize visiting rights. You could come here sometime in the future, when you feel ready. In fact, if it makes you feel better, I will extend the invitation now, Mulder. You may come back when you think it is the right time. All right? //

Mulder looked back at him. He was once more feeling a little ashamed at his earlier behavior, and wished he didn't sound so insecure about leaving. He leaned down and gave a careful hug to Daein, who returned it. Mulder didn't want to hurt him; physically Daein still seemed almost breakable, his figure was so slight. Thickly, Mulder said, "I will miss you, Daein."

//And I will miss you, my friend. But, we are already 'there'. // Daein gave him a sunny and confident smile inside with the words. //A meeting of minds in the flow is always and forever. You will see. It will be as though you have only imagined you were alone. Once you leave here, it will not be as you expect, now that we have made the connection. //

"Thank you. For everything." Finally, Mulder let go and stood up. He straightened and said, wryly, "Well, I guess I made an impression here, huh?" He was thinking of the tall female and the others.

//You could never fail to do that, // Daein agreed, chuckling, as they began to walk away, towards the outer halls to go towards the nearest portal entryway out of the base. //It seems to be another one of your unmistakable traits. // They walked quietly up to the portal gate. It seemed unremarkably smooth, like an ordinary door with a metal sheen.

Taking Mulder's hand once more, Daein slid them easily through the portal to stand beside the car on the side of the road. It was getting dark and the stars were bright and high in the sky above, clusters of diamond dust speckling the deep blue. The singing of crickets was all around and the smell of the prairie and mountain pines was strong. The glow of Cody, beyond Heart Mountain and the road back through the hills, was pale and beckoning on the horizon. Mulder suddenly realized how hungry he was. He needed a shower. And a shave. He did want to get to the motel. He checked his watch. Ah. It had stopped. How surprising—not. He smiled.

Daein said tentatively, //General Linden is going to remain there for a while longer. Alex Krycek needs to leave, though. Will you be willing to let him accompany you on your journey back home? //

Mulder wondered at this. "Why? Why can't... why doesn't he just go? Go wherever he needs to get to, next? And why are you speaking on his behalf?"

//My understanding of this is that he was going to see you anyway, upon your return. He wanted to discuss the material he gave you, and to give you a means to see the bodies recovered from the 'pygmy grave'. The remains have been sent to Washington ahead of you. He feels responsible for having led you into this situation. //

Mulder chewed on his lower lip, thoughtfully. "I guess he did. Jesus. Don't tell me I have him to thank for ending up meeting you!" He sighed.

Daein laughed at him. //Mulder, you are truly astonishing to me. How can you possibly pretend you don't know what you mean to him? All of this is merely an excuse to see you. He craves your company like you crave extra-terrestrial contact. You can best repay him for leading you however obliquely into this encounter here today by understanding that. //

"I don't understand how you can give him the benefit of the doubt," Mulder pointed out. "He betrayed me, and his actions have hardly been beneficial for anyone, whether he was working with them against me, or with the Russians against them, or on his own against... whoever—that MJ-12 guy who ordered them to shoot down your ship. He has done unforgiveable deeds; his crimes are—" Mulder stopped, thinking of his dying father in his arms.

//Forgiveness is its own salvation, // Daein replied, the implications abundantly clear in the timbre of his mental voice. //It is true that he hurt you. But you should know that in doing so, he hurt himself more. At least, that is what I picked up from him. It can do neither of you a disservice to reconcile your past and your pain. But it is up to you. You are the only one who can redeem him. //

"So I'm supposed to believe that he actually wants me to like him? And not for any twisted manipulation or game, trying to get me to perform some step in his scheming, devious plans, but just because he likes me."

Daein was grinning, an actual, physical grin that Mulder could both sense and see in the dim light of the sky reflecting off Daein's face and the car windows. //Yes. And now, if you will permit me, I shall return to the base. //

"Well, take care. Don't let any more jets shoot you out of the sky. And I'll be back this way again, you can count on that."

//I shall look forward to it. Goodbye, my friend. // Daein sent him a last wave of abiding and enduring love and gratitude for helping him to return from being miles away from this place with humans scattered dangerously around the place, and back home. He raised his hand in a gesture of farewell.

"Goodbye. Until we see each other again." Mulder held up his own hand.

Daein smiled and then vanished, almost as if he slid around a long corner and was just... no longer there. Back to the same portal. Leaving Mulder to take a deep breath and lean against the car door, staring up at the evening sky. He wondered why Daein hadn't been able to know where the portal was before the Reticulans had arrived, earlier, before they took them to the base. He wondered how the vibration signatures of the Reticulans had left a way for Daein to follow them. He wondered if he could transport himself the same way. It eluded him for the present time though.

He remained there, thinking about all that had transpired, everything Daein had taught him. Yeah, taught. He wished suddenly that he'd been able to offer even a fraction in return, compared to what Daein had given him. But then, being a stranger in a strange land, treated as a monstrous creature purely because of his alien shape, Daein had indeed depended on Mulder's help to get back to this place. It would have been quite a journey to walk. The poor little guy had been no doubt traumatized and in shock after the crash, too. He was surprised that Daein seemed to have survived the impact with barely a few scratches and bruises.

Headlights from farther down along the valley sent long two, long white beams into the dark, alerting him to a car heading his way. It had to be Krycek. He knew it was, in fact. He got into the car and remembered the food in the back seat, as well as the things he had bought for the road trip, all unaware that he wouldn't be waiting all that long for Daein's people to pick him up. He turned the key, revved up the engine and waited for Krycek's car to pull alongside.

It was dark, too dark to see into the car, but he knew it was Krycek, all the same. Especially after the car stopped alongside and Krycek rolled down the window, saying, "Well, well. Fancy meeting you here, Mulder. What's a federal agent like you doing in a place like this?"

"Very lame, Alex. Even for me, that was lame. Besides, who are you to talk? Look, we need to get together, about pygmy remains and the fate of the planet. Again. I've got a reservation at a motel just outside of town. Follow me there," he suggested.

Krycek looked ahead, considering the dark road before them. He appeared to be deliberating this. Finally he turned back to Mulder. "All right. Turn around, I'll wait." He backed up a bit, giving Mulder some room.

Mulder managed to turn the car around and pull away, leaving Krycek to follow behind.

As he drove, he found himself wondering at all that had happened. He was starting to come down from the high and despite the displacement and general surreality of his situation Mulder realized that Daein was right. He had been hiding from himself. From the truth of his own feelings about Krycek. About Alex.

The thought of staying in the motel room with Alex was enough to cause a response from his cock, hardening swiftly as he thought of repeating that close encounter with him on the plane the week before.

He thought of forgiveness being its own salvation and how obvious it was that Alex did want him. He felt in control of the situation simply from that knowledge; he could dictate the pace. In hurting me, he hurt himself more, Mulder mused; interesting—no wonder the man always has that wounded, haunted look in his eyes whenever he looks at me.

He didn't need to punish Alex anymore for what he'd done to Mulder and those he cared about... Alex was already living in self-inflicted guilt and probably expected nothing less than a continued pattern of abuse from Mulder for the rest of their days.

Somehow, knowing that Alex was vulnerable made all the difference. It made him accessible, and rendered him less of a risk, regardless of how absurd that seemed in retrospect.

The satori of meeting Daein and the experience of the Reticulan base left him with the epiphany that if evolved and sensitive beings like Daein could forgive Alex Krycek his crimes, so could he.

It was remarkably liberating. He found he'd already had closure on his father years before, after his mother had died and he had discovered that Sam was long gone and departed in peace. Now he'd achieved his ultimate goal: contact with another (mostly) alien being. Very satisfying contact, too. Hell, it didn't get much better than that!

What was left? He began ticking off the mental checklist of automatic grievances with Alex. Tunguska. Well, yeah. He'd virtually dragged Alex there with him, and had certainly dragged him aboard the truck. Didn't matter that Alex had given him exactly the right clues to get him to want to go, it was quite enough that because of him, Alex had lost his arm. The guilt over that nearly made up for Bill Mulder. Nearly, but not quite. Still, the pain over the loss of his father had been burned in the hatred of Alex for committing the act, and with the passage of time and the knowledge of what his father had actually done in the past, a little of the usual customary poison had already been lanced by the time Daein entered his life.

Scully's abduction... and Duane Barry. That whole fiasco. Mulder gnawed on his lips. And jerked as a white owl flew across the road in front of him. Well, in a way, the Smoking Man and his cronies wouldn't have tried to do anything to Scully in the first place if it weren't for Mulder's own association with the X-Files and his penetrating attempts to pierce the veil of secrecy surrounding the Syndicate's projects. Krycek had been the tool.

The tip-off about Weikamp AFB, and the kiss. That kiss. The plane... and those hot, searing moments when Alex had come all over them both, their hands, and the way Alex had been leaning into him afterwards... And those kisses, the way Alex had kissed him after... It had seemed like he was stealing them, snatching the opportunity to be not just imparting information or sealing a deal or in the grip of lust. Just—affection and tenderness. As unlikely as that might sound, when speaking of Alex.

By the time he'd thought it all over with a Daein-inspired perspective, and was in a state of thoroughly frustrated arousal at the impending proximity to Alex in the motel, Mulder was quite ready to stop battling over the past and get on with the—the what?

The future? The seduction of Alex. He grinned. It shouldn't be that hard. Especially if Alex already had a jones for him as badly as he'd appeared to back on that plane. Christ, he'd thrown himself at Mulder. Unmistakably. This would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

When he arrived at the motel, he parked and waited to see if Alex would actually drive in. He did. Mulder went in to check for messages in the office, but the guy was no longer there. He left and went to the door of the room, fishing the key out of his pocket as Alex came up to stand beside him. "Here. Go on in. I'm going to get the food, and my bags."

Mulder brought everything in and found that Alex had seated himself on one of the twin beds in the room, and was channel flipping idly. Alex had already brought in his own bag and the now familiar black briefcase that Mulder had seen before. He experienced a feeling of déją vu. "Uh, Alex? That—I've still got that one. I thought I still had that briefcase. Remember? You gave it to me, it contained the files on the burial site."

Alex glanced at him, still pointing the remote at the TV and going through the channels. "I got another. I liked that one. I didn't think you were going to buy it if I said I was only there to get it back."

"Why not? It would've made a great excuse to drop by." He said it jokingly but the way Alex stopped and regarded him, stonily, made him wonder if Alex really did 'like him'. The strangeness of being here in this ordinary motel room with him after everything that had happened suddenly impacted on him and Mulder sat down on the edge of the other bed, wearily, trying to ignore the insistently painful hardness in his jeans. He rubbed his face with his hands. "We have to talk."

"Yeah. We do." Alex flipped the TV off and put down the remote. He was sitting on the bed, resting his back against the headboard with his legs out in front of him, his feet crossed. He sat and waited for Mulder to speak.

It was cold in the room and Mulder shivered. He got up and looked around for the thermostat, turned it on and went to sit back down, saying, "I don't hate you, Alex. I appreciate what you were trying to do, giving me the lead on this—this case. This incredible, unforgettable case."

Alex's expression was unreadable. As usual, no surprises there. He had his full implacability act on at the moment. Which was kind of telling, in itself. Mulder sighed. "I don't want to fight you. Not any more. Meeting Daein and seeing... the others, that base... It's kind of shifted my perspectives, altered my reality. You know what I mean?"

Alex had raised his eyebrows at this. "Yeah, Mulder, I think I do." He paused as he saw the bemusement on Mulder's face. "What, did you think I was going to disagree with you on that one? This has got to be the most significant exchange I've had with any race I've ever met."

Mulder regarded him with pursed lips. "Just how many races have you met?"

Alex's eyes flicked away, evasively. "A few. The blondes, the grays. The oiliens. Just your usual, run-of-the-mill alien. Local people." Mulder didn't even get the feeling Alex was being ironic. He sounded completely serious.

"This was—what just happened tonight—it was the one thing I had been waiting for... all my life." Mulder felt rather stupefied as the reality of it kept sinking into his brain over and over again. It had actually happened. It hadn't been a delusion or a dream. And Krycek had been there, he was proof that it had actually happened because they both remembered it. He realized he was in shock, in the aftermath.

Alex wasn't being much help. He probably felt the same way. But Mulder got up, saying, "I'm going to shower. Help yourself to the food. I got stuff that wouldn't need heating up."

He absently began to strip off, removing his clothes as he went to the bathroom. Looking over at Alex, he realized Alex was most carefully not looking in his direction. He grinned. "Are you sure you don't want to join me?"

The sudden arrival of high color in Alex's face was a revelation. Alex didn't look over at him, just resolutely stared at the dead television screen across the room.

Mulder sighed. "Fine, have it your way." He went in and shut the door behind him. He turned on the water and waited for it to get hot. Damn. It wasn't like Alex had any idea of the shift in Mulder's perspective regarding him. Mulder knew he needed a new angle to take with him.

And with this in mind, he climbed into the shower. Washing away the travel hours and the dust, he also washed the prejudice and the suspicion down the drain along with them. The need to protect his own lonely defensive pride and the almost frighteningly intense desire to just be held, to be understood... He was left with a simple truth that gleamed and sparkled in the clearing sky of his own mind: it wasn't just the purity of Daein's friendship and the scintillating connection of sharing Daein's thoughts. It wasn't just the ordinary physical need for release. It was the secret satisfaction in knowing that someone desired him. Even if it was Alex. In fact, he had to admit there was an illicit thrill even in that. But to be wanted, not dismissed because of his beliefs, or his pursuits. To be needed.

He left the shower and grabbed the towel, drying himself off briskly. It was steamy in the bathroom now, and he wasn't looking forward to opening the door and letting the chill in again. It was surprisingly cold. He supposed it must be due to the altitude. They were high up in the mountains, after all. He wrapped the towel around his waist and snatched up another.

Alex seemed to tense when he came back out, no doubt preparing for more of Mulder's poking and prodding at his defenses. Mulder didn't say anything, merely noted that Alex had left the food out for him. "The cheese is good," Alex remarked, getting up. "Do you mind if take a shower, myself?"

"Go ahead," Mulder said, toweling his hair dry with the second towel. He watched as Alex retreated and shut the bathroom door. Didn't even look at him once. Mulder sighed. This was not going to be as easy as he'd thought. Then again, he wondered what he wanted, himself. A quick screw? Another mutual masturbation session? The full fuck? It all seemed a bit trite and crude now, especially in retrospect. The afternoon and evening had been so out of his usual world, beyond daily routines or social platitudes. And Alex's defenses were up. He was probably steeling himself against allowing a repetition of their previous close call in the airplane toilet. Mulder sat down on the edge of the bed. He needed a scenario, some kind of strategy.

Mulder contented himself with nibbling while waiting for Alex to emerge. Damn. The cheese was good. He started munching his way through the snack foods. And tried to ignore the fact that Alex was naked and wet behind that one miserably pathetic barrier of a bathroom door...

Alex finally came back out, fully dressed, probably intending to leave once they'd discussed the pygmy remains and the fate of the world. Mulder chortled to himself. So much for the road trip. He had half a mind to stay here for a few more days and avail himself of the surroundings. They were only a few miles down the road from Yellowstone National Park. And the road through Sunlight Basin led right up to the Beartooth Highway, which was described as 'the most scenic road in America'. He glanced over at Alex. Somehow, he doubted he could get Alex to come along.

Alex went to sit down on the edge of the other bed, and shot him a glare.

What the hell was wrong now? Oh, right. Mulder glanced down at himself. He was still wearing only a towel. Well, damn—it wasn't like they were a couple of virgins in a Victorian convent... and maybe he could use this to his advantage. "We do need to talk."

"So talk." Alex was curt.

"I've been thinking about us, and the past. I've come to the conclusion— with a little help from our friends—that I've been clinging to a previous version of you without taking into account the fact that people change. I've changed, over the years. So have you. I'm thinking that it's about time our relationship reflected that."

Alex looked over at him, as if he was bored. Pityingly, he said, "Get real, Mulder. I'm not in any mood for any psych crap right now and I don't want to talk about our 'relationship'."

"Touchy," Mulder said, getting up. "Hold that thought, I'm just gonna get dressed. And then you can tell me what you are in the mood for, and what else there could possibly be left for us to discuss, other than our, ah, non-relationship." He picked up his jeans and got a clean t-shirt and sweats out of his bag, putting the jeans in the bag before going back into the bathroom. He'd spare Alex's composure just this once and get dressed without making a show of it.

By the time he'd shoved the clothing on and came back out, however, Alex was already pacing the room like a caged tiger. Mulder flung himself on the bed and said, "Okay, Alex, shoot. What did you want to talk about? You were going to tell me about the pygmy remains?"

Alex opened his mouth and paused. He closed it again and brushed his hand over his hair, angrily. He appeared more agitated than Mulder could remember seeing him, given that they were hardly in any kind of a violent clinch. Finally, Alex said, roughly, "They were sent on ahead. I had them sent to Washington, so you and Scully could have a look at them. Someone will probably have them 'disappeared' before long, so you might want to study them as much as possible. And about today. Thanks very much making us look like complete idiots in front of one of the more highly respected elders of her kind. She—"

Mulder cut him off. "I'm sorry about that, I am, okay? I didn't exactly set out to make a fool of myself deliberately, I feel bad enough about it now. But it had to be said. You know that. I'm glad she took the time to answer me. I certainly have never had the luxury of having any of those questions answered for me by anyone else in these past years. So it was nice to finally get someone to say something. And you know what else? While you stand there all smug and secure in your knowledge about what's going down, I'm still in the dark here, still wondering what hell is happening. So lighten up, will you? And while you're at it, you could do yourself a favor and tell me what you know rather than throwing me a few more breadcrumbs to follow along the trail. It might even get me to shut up."

Alex frowned and exhaled. "You ever stop to think that maybe the information I could give you would lead you into certain death, where even Scully wouldn't be able to get you out? If I start giving you places, names, dates—you're going to be running around checking it all out and then I'm going have to kill you for your pains. And then I'll have to kill myself for the damage incurred."

Mulder sat up. "All right, fine. Don't tell me. But you could explain how the hell you get given 'keys' by rebels and special tours of alien bases like some fucking VIP by the head alien herself."

Alex started pacing again. "Mulder, anytime you wanna trade places is fine by me. I'll have your cushy FBI job where you get cut all the slack and have all-expenses-paid excursions looking for the latest reported slime-terror or swamp thing, with Scully trailing around to watch your back and bail you out when you get in too deep. And you can take my place, running around trying to keep the lid on all the shit rising up in the sewers. Have you any idea how fun it is to have to fly to Tunisia to reason with insanely drunk terrorists and pay them not to release deadly technology on the world? Or to be the only one around who has enough gumption to be able to negotiate peace treaties with alien factions who are so completely non-human that they'd just as soon wipe us off the planet rather than have to deal with us at all?"

"How droll. Sit down, Alex, before you have a stroke." Mulder's voice was mild. "When I said 'our relationship', I meant right now. I didn't mean the past or the future."

Alex was glaring at him. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Forget it. Look, you're wiped out. So am I. Why don't we get some sleep, and we can talk about it tomorrow? We can go over it all in the car, on the way to the airport. And in the air."

Alex snickered, incredulous. "If you think I'm staying, you're wrong. I don't relish getting shot in the middle of the night when you wake up from one of your nightmares and decide to give yourself closure."

"Yeah? Where are you staying tonight, Alex? The car?"

Alex stopped. He bit his upper lip, considering. The unconscious act brought Mulder's attention to Alex's mouth—it sent a little shaft of warm urgency coiling in his belly. "Mulder, I—"

Mulder got up slowly from the bed and went to where Alex was standing. He put out a hand as Alex flinched. Mulder ignored it and reached out to hold Alex's right arm. "Alex. Please stay. Don't leave again. Please."

A mixture of emotions seemed to be fighting a battle inside of Alex at this; Mulder could see it playing across his face. The swiftly hidden hurt, want and hope were followed by doubt and suspicion. Alex drew back, away from him. But his eyes were dark and he seemed to be fighting the urge to do exactly the opposite. He swallowed. "I can't. I can't stay. I have to go..."

"Why? Mulder nearly winced at the need in his own voice, but he'd said it strongly enough that it was almost an accusation as well.

Alex let out his breath. "Screw this. I don't need this, not after today." He moved to step around Mulder, who reached out again and caught his arm. He flung Mulder's grip off of him and exclaimed, "Don't! Just—just stop. I'm not going to be your consolation just because you're feeling sad now that your little friend is gone."

Mulder stared at him with some surprise. "What? What the hell—Alex?" And then it dawned on him. "Daein... what did he tell you? What did he say to you?"

Alex stepped away, moving farther back, going to stand on the other side of the bed, beside his bag and briefcase. The inner struggle still seemed to be fighting it out inside of him. It was as if he was fighting simultaneously to try not to leave, as well as to not stay. He muttered, "He said that you'd—that you might need a friend tonight. Someone to—" he stopped, swallowing again, the desire and the pain so clearly rippling across his face that Mulder suddenly couldn't bear it any more.

Mulder swiftly crossed the distance to him and put his hand to Alex's face, turning Alex to face him. He leaned in quickly to kiss him, pressing his lips to Alex's, wondering at how he could have forgotten the exact sensation of the warmth, of how sweet it was.

Alex was motionless. Mulder didn't stop; he kept moving over Alex's lips until finally, stiffly, Alex's arm stole around Mulder's waist and abruptly they were half-falling towards the bed, crashing down, Alex kissing him back desperately, fiercely, possessively. The sudden heat was a flash flood between them, drawing sheets of flame over Mulder's skin, all over his body. Arms were busy, hands moving over each other's bodies and in a single-minded delirium of purpose Mulder began to undo Alex's jeans. He pulled back from Alex's mouth just long enough to gasp in a breath. Alex let out a single, little despairing moan, "Mulder—"

"Come on, it's cold. Let's get under the covers," Mulder said, breathless. He was yanking Alex's jeans down and trying to lift his own shirt off at the same time. Alex fumblingly managed to take off his prosthetic. Mulder was barely even aware of it, a little surprised by his own lack of reaction but realizing in that moment that Alex meant too much to him for it even to be an issue.

Somehow, they got into the bed, shoving the briefcase off onto the floor where it fell with a thud. Mulder blindly reached for the switch on the lamp.

And found himself being clutched by Alex who was almost trembling with barely-suppressed desire, pressing every inch of his body to Mulder's. Mulder found himself reveling in the heat of him, the slightly-slick feeling of the fresh sheen of sweat on Alex's skin.

Alex was brokenly murmuring, "Want you, oh God, want you, Mulder," his voice ragged, the urgency and need communicated so perfectly in it that Mulder could feel the blood coursing in his veins in response, the involuntary muscle spasms in his cock making it jump as Alex's voice seemed to leap into his ears and take root in his brain. He wanted to fuck Alex into the floor. The need to do so was quite suddenly refusing to leave him alone. It was the only thing he wanted to do.

Blinking in the darkness, he said, "Alex, I have got to fuck you. Please. Right now."

This had the effect of making Alex turn quite still and Mulder abruptly wondered if he had freaked him or something. "What, is that too much for you? Look, just—something. Do something. I need it. I need this. You."

Just as suddenly, his mouth and face was seized in a rushing torrent of Alex; Alex kissing him everywhere, nibbling on his chin, mouthing hot trails of fire across his cheek and to his ear, down his neck. He found himself gasping for breath again as his neck and throat were intermittently bitten and then soothed with Alex's tongue. The fresh scent of Alex's showered hair and the surprising smoothness of his skin was quickly reducing Mulder to nothing but a mindless creature ready to start begging, pleading, demanding.

Alex in his arms, responding with such fierce hunger and desperate, despairing delight that he wasn't sure he had ever felt anything like it before... It brought a sense of completeness and fulfillment, to be wanted like this. To know that it meant so much for the one who wanted him. And in a burst of clarity, Mulder realized he had always wanted Alex too—it had never been safe to see it until now, because of course how could he ever have trusted him? He almost laughed. It took aliens, an entire base's worth, to get them to set aside their differences and work out their issues.

Alex was pulling away and Mulder reached out to pull him back. "No, I just need to get the—to get—" Alex was saying, to explain. Fumbling around in the dark, Alex left Mulder lying in a de-boned and melting puddle of anticipatory desire. And then Alex was chuckling, a bit unhinged, and triumphantly saying, "—lube. We have lube. Thank God."

And then Alex was pressing all up against him again under the covers and moving more slowly than before, a little more languorously. Sensuously, like a writhing cat. Planting hot kisses almost playfully against any inch of Mulder's body that happened to be before him in the dark.

Mulder jerked his hips, moving against Alex and said, "Alex. Now. Come on." He rolled atop Alex, reversing their positions, and got up to kneel over him, taking the small packet that Alex pressed into his hand. Ripping it open, he smoothed the condom down over his cock, wondering at the exquisite waiting as the sensation of it unrolling onto his hardness left him feeling almost lightheaded.

And then Alex was lifting his legs, bringing his knees up under Mulder and Mulder found his breath taken away at the movement, the sheer trust and vulnerability of having Alex like this under him... It was almost too much. He had to stop and count to five. To ten. He wasn't going to last long.

The thought of fucking Alex now was so good that he almost came right then and there. But he reached up to take up the lube and squirt it slickly into his palm before then reaching down to grasp Alex's cock. Alex cried out at this, the silken shaft in Mulder's hand shuddering.

He slipped his finger down to press again the tight, secret hole, his other hand caressing the velvet of Alex's balls. Alex's response was vocal, strangled, "Oh fuck—Mulder, please, just—fucking do it. Give it to me."

Mulder obediently slid his finger into Alex's anus, feeling the burning, soothing silkiness inside. The thought of that tightness being wrapped all over his cock was enough to make him try to slide another finger into Alex a little too fast and Alex hissed and winced under him. "Sorry," Mulder said, hoarsely. He continued to methodically work at stretching his tight opening, readying him. The groans and muttered ravings that this elicited from Alex were enchanting, and Mulder wanted to do this to him forever.

Finally, Alex said, "Mulder, come on. I'm ready. Do it," and he brought his legs up to rest them on Mulder's shoulders, on either side of his neck. Mulder anointed his cock with more lube and then placed the head of it against Alex, slowly pushing in, sliding in and in and up and up, farther, deeper, until he was so deep inside him he couldn't go any further. The accompanying, protracted groan that Alex gave at this was enough to make Mulder grin evilly with abandon. Sheathed in the tightest, hottest and most delicious place it had ever been, Mulder's cock was more at home than he could remember it feeling before. Experimentally, he pulled back barely and then thrust upwards, the feeling of sliding upward forever into heaven going on deeper into the sky beyond—beyond—

And then Alex was shoving back against him, desperately, and Mulder knew he wasn't about to deny him, obliging him with another hard thrust, feeling Alex speared under him. At last. To finally have him. After wanting this, for so long. Being denied it, by circumstance, by reason, by guilt, by his mind. To just... let it all go, let it go with every hard fucking urgent shove, harder, deeper, faster and Alex was suddenly twisting under him, crying out as the eager pulsing of that now-recognizable scent filled the air. Hot, sweat-scented, carrying the bitter salty scalding deliciousness of thick tears. Alex's ass clenched down and gripped Mulder's cock as Alex came, open-mouthed gasps and cries as the pleasure wracked him.

It tipped Mulder over the edge; too much overload to task his already overburdened restraint. The waves of silvery peals and electric flooding of his nerves zinged almost painfully through his body as it was seized by an automatic impulse to drive into Alex's ass as hard as he could, as fast as possible. But it didn't last and abruptly Mulder was coming, coming, hanging suspended, over a high crest, a flight above the wash of pleasure, a single moment of brightness where he could feel time stop. He could hear his own voice shouting out, and then the feeling of trying to stay above, to stay high up there on that beautiful stormy moment of pleasure/pain/ecstasy/peace... Floating back.

Groggily, he wondered how much time had passed between that moment and the next. It didn't seem to matter. But Alex's ankles were no longer by his head and he was slumped over him, his face turned to rest against Alex's upper chest, their hearts still pounding in a slightly offbeat rhythm together.

Close and warm in the dark, feeling like coming home, to rest. To finally understand something, something that was still slightly elusive. Oh, right. Connection. To make this act their communion in a perfect comprehension of mutual regard. Mulder wondered if they might have reached this point earlier with less pain and fuss, but came to the conclusion that it was actually a perfect conclusion to the extraordinary events of a day so far outside his usual reality that it was only natural.

He chuckled quietly, soundlessly. Alex stirred under him. "Heavy," he mumbled.

Mulder obediently rolled to one side and then pulled Alex back into his arms. "I'm not usually this romantic," Mulder said.

Alex was quiet. "You call that romantic?" His tone was a little noncommittal, obviously wondering what the hell Mulder was thinking.

Mulder stretched, feeling it all over, all throughout his body. Then tightened his hold around Alex. He kissed Alex on the forehead, and on his cheek. "Don't go," he whispered.

"Fuck. As if I could," Alex murmured, burrowing his face into Mulder's neck a little more.

"No, I meant tomorrow morning. We need to take a road trip."

Alex didn't reply, but then pulled back slightly and asked, "What do you mean? What do you have in mind?"

Mulder grinned in the darkness. "When was the last time you took a day off, just for the hell of it? Just for yourself? It'll be fun. Come with me. It'll be great. We can check out the Absarokas, and the Beartooth Mountains."

Alex hesitated, and then said with some conviction, "You're crazy."

"Yeah, but will you?"

Alex sighed against him, his breath moving warm and almost too lightly against Mulder's skin. "One day—I guess we could steal just one." And he relaxed into Mulder a little more, contentedly, willing to believe in it at least for now.

"After everything we've been through, I think we owe it to ourselves to take a little happiness back. Reclaim it, you know? When was the last time you felt this way, this sense of freedom?"

Alex didn't reply, just pressed his face deeper in against Mulder and tightened his own arm about him.

"Actually," Mulder continued, pointing out the facts, "We have two days. Tomorrow and Sunday. There isn't any reason why we couldn't extend it a little. Go back on Sunday, in the evening. We can try to get flights back then. What do you think?"

Alex said against him, "I think you're nuts, Mulder. But I'm okay with that. Anyway, this sounds like a plan."

"If you think you're going to be falling asleep here, you're sadly mistaken," Mulder said.

And smiled as he felt Alex's answering grin against his neck.

finis

xx

Jamiwilsen@hotmail.com

TITLE: Angels 3—Dark Angel
ARCHIVE: RatB, DitB, NickZone-Alex Annex
FEEDBACK: Jamiwilsen@hotmail.com
DISCLAIMER: Ever since Chris Carter f***ed his fans with the Season 8 finale, I heartily welcome any legal action or proceedings should they be brought against me for using these characters as I see fit. I'd win hands down. [g] Besides, I have no money. None.
PAIRING: M/K
RATING: NC-17—language, slash m/m
SUMMARY: Mulder's dream comes true. So does Krycek's.
BETAS: This is unbeta'ed. Forgive me!
SPOILERS: Don't know, really, but it is set sometime before the Requiem episode, end of Season 7.
NOTE: this is the final chapter.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]