Go to notes and disclaimers


Lying
by Frankie


Part III
Cruel Inventions II

"Agent Mulder, they've found another body."

I'm barely awake when I get the phone call telling me what I already know. I know we hadn't been as careful this time, and it's no surprise it was found so quickly. I listen to the drone of the police officer's voice as she gives me the location of the latest victim. There's no need for me to write it down since I know fully well where it is.

"Okay, I'm on my way."

After I hang up the phone, I look at the man lying next to me. His face is relaxed, and any indication of the type of life he leads is absent.

He's let his hair grow out and an errant lock has fallen across his forehead.

I'm amazed at the wave of love that washes over me every time I see him looking so harmless and contented. When he left me, I thought I was going to die. I hate how desperate and pathetic that sounds, but he left me with no hope for my future. I hated him for reducing me to such a needy shell of a man, and for making me yearn for him so much that I completely lost myself.

Going to bars and picking up strangers had never appealed to me, but that's all I did when I realized he wasn't coming back to me. I know now that I was searching for someone to replace him and when I wasn't satisfied, I'd take it out on some innocent stranger. I'm convinced the only reason my abuse was never reported was because I had developed an ability to sweet talk my victims. I suppose Alex has had more of an influence on my behavior than I'd thought.

Alex stirs in his sleep and his brow is temporarily wrinkled in a childish frown. I kiss his forehead, half hoping he'll wake up and make love to me before I leave to investigate the case for which I already have all the answers. His frown disappears but he does not awaken, causing a little knot of disappointment in my stomach. Sighing, I get up and go to take a shower.

As I lather myself using the sweet-smelling soap that Alex favors, I attempt to assess my current state of mind. It's a rather useless exercise as I'm in no position to judge myself either emotionally or ethically. I'm not even sure that I can trust my judgment of others at this point. Scully seems to have distanced herself from me since Alex came back into my life. It's not that she knows about him; no one does. I have the impression that she can see into my head and has discovered my secret, but is waiting for the time when it would be best to reveal it to me. I have no interest in the few friends I have; all I can think about is Alex. He's in my life, and I want nothing to do with anyone else. From the way he never seems to leave my side, I can only hope that he feels the same way about me. We don't need anyone or anything besides each other.

In all the years I've worked for the FBI, I have longed to understand the fine line between sanity and madness; to know what it is that makes someone disregard all the rules of what constitutes humane behavior in exchange for a world where human life means next to nothing. The night Alex came back to me, I felt myself step closer to the edge of that chasm when I saw him kill out of jealousy. The part of me that should have been outraged, or at least shocked, didn't exist that night. I remember feeling excitement, gratitude and love... mall the things I know I shouldn't have felt. Or, I should say, all the things I wouldn't have felt if I didn't love the man committing the crime.

Since that night, Alex has killed in my presence and I've been with him when he disposes of the bodies. We've also gone on to have fantastic sex due to the rush of adrenaline and the thrill of getting caught. I've lost my moral compass and as long as I'm with Alex, I don't want to find it again.

When the Bureau became involved in a rash of killings around the DC area, I requested the case so I could keep tabs on what was being learned about the killer or killers. I will be there to ensure that any incriminating evidence does not see the light of day or is conveniently lost. If anyone should ask me why I've turned my back on the law, my answer would be that I haven't.

I've simply chosen to protect and be with my lover. Once, Alex asked me why I was no longer a boy scout and I laughed at him. I told him I could not count the number of times I'd been close to giving it all up in order to be true to myself, and that if it weren't for this fruitless search for my sister, I may not have ever gone into law enforcement. He asked if that was why I was a profiler. I said that perhaps I had an innate understanding of the criminal mind as opposed to merely being a good student. We haven't talked about it since.

I step out of the shower and quickly towel off. If I'm going to get to the crime scene in a timely fashion, I really need to get moving. I walk into the bedroom and see that Alex is awake, his eyes nailing me to the spot.

"Where are you going? It's only six." The question doesn't surprise me and the tone excites me. Anyone else hearing it would most likely be frightened.

"They found the body. I need to go to the scene." I walk toward the bed and Alex sits up, patting the space beside him. I sit down.

"You're a wonder, Fox. Why are you still doing this?"

"You ask me that every time I go to work."

"And you tell me it's because you love me." He pauses and looks at me as if he's struggling to say something else.

"What is it?"

"How do I know it's not because you'll be implicated in the murders and you're covering your own ass?"

This is the first time he's ever put forth a theory to explain my actions, and it hurts to hear. He not only sounds like he believes his own words, but almost as if he wants me to confirm them. I don't want to say anything I'll regret so I stand up and go to my closet to pick out a suit.

"Aren't you going to answer me?" Anyone listening would think he was being gentle in his inquiry. I know better.

I ignore him and continue getting dressed.

"Fox, I don't want to pick a fight with you. Turn around."

I comply and see him sitting on the edge of the bed, the sheet barely clinging to his waist. As angry as I'm feeling, I want to crawl back into bed with him and forget about trying to cover our tracks. Let the world go to hell and take us with it. All I need is the man before me, his dark eyes seeing deeper inside me than even I can.

"You have a funny way of not picking a fight, Alex. How the hell could you think that? I tell you all the time that I love you. You're the one who would take off and leave me holding the bag."

I immediately regret what I've said when I see the look on his face.

In the past, it's been followed by either a slamming door or a slap. This time he does neither.

"Go to work. We both need to cool down." He gives me a peck on the cheek as he passes me to go into the bathroom. I'm surprised by the gesture, and from the way he pauses, I can tell he is too.

xx

I arrive in the alley where the latest body has been found and see a few local police and Scully. She's leaning over the body, a latex-covered hand pointing at the bullet wound to the victim's head. I cannot imagine what she would do to me if I told her the murder weapon is safely hidden in a gun safe in my bedroom closet.

"What've we got, Scully?"

I feign interest and concern as she relates the evidence so far. She arrived only ten minutes before I did and has not had much of a chance to scour the scene. I ask her what she thinks so far.

"I don't know, Mulder." She stands up. "It looks like the same caliber weapon may have been used as with the other victims. The entry and exit wounds are similar. The shot was at close range and we found a shell casing that seems to match the one we found with the last body. Hopefully, this one won't get lost on the way to forensics." I nod, noncommittally, picturing the casing I took at home in the safe with the gun. We had been careless again.

"So, you think it's the same killer?"

"Well, I don't know. The other bodies were placed in dumpsters after death, soaked in gasoline and burned. I don't understand why we got the call for this one."

"Last night I called and asked that any single gunshot wounds to the head be directed to us."

"Why?"

Alex had been sent out to kill one of his former partners. He told me the guy had been getting drunk and talking to the wrong people. I had gone along to watch from the shadows wanting to see, once more, as Alex took a life, probably in the same way he'd taken my father's. My eyes wander to the wall where I'd fucked Alex after the kill and I feel a warm stirring in my groin at the memory. I hope I can get out of here before my arousal become evident and am grateful for the coat I am wearing. It's a cold morning, so it does not seem suspect when I pull it tighter around me.

"Mulder, did you hear me?"

I look at my partner. "No, I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"I asked why you wanted to be notified."

Because after we had sex, Alex and I had realized we didn't have everything with us to finish the job. He had come as close to panicking as I'd ever seen, but I told him I'd take care of everything. "Call it a late night hunch. Maybe the killer didn't have time to complete his usual MO."

"So you think this is the same guy?"

I notice one of the police officers is talking to a man who seems very agitated and is gesturing at the dead man. "Could be. I'll be right back, Scully." I walk over to them.

"Is there a problem here?"

The frustrated policeman looks at me, the gratitude evident on his face.

"This man says he knows who killed the victim."

There's a moment of panic as I realize for the first time that there could be witnesses. Why the hell weren't we more careful? I reassure myself that Alex and I can take care of this if necessary.

After thanking and dismissing the officer, I turn to the witness.

"I'm Agent Mulder with the FBI. What is your name, sir?"

"Harold Turner." He's an older man, I'd guess in his late sixties, and he looks relieved that someone is finally listening to him.

"Did you see the murder take place, Mr. Turner?"

"You bet I did. I live up there." He points to a third story window facing the alley. "I have trouble sleeping sometimes so I like to sit by the window and watch what happens."

"And what time were you up last night?"

"I'd gotten up at about midnight to get some water and couldn't get back to sleep. I watched some TV and thought I heard a noise in the alley."

"You heard this noise over the volume of the TV?"

"I had the sound down low."

I nod my head. "Okay, what kind of noise did you hear?"

"It sounded like people arguing so I turned off the set and went to the window to see what was going on."

When Alex had found the intended victim and led him into the alley, it was obvious that the man had been drinking. I was afraid that his shouts would be heard by neighbors but knew it was more than likely they'd be ignored.

Alex had pulled his gun and the shouting had turned to pleading then finally to silence when Alex pulled the trigger.

"What did you see, Mr. Turner?"

"There were two guys and it looked like they were arguing about something.

Then one of them pulled out a gun and shot the other one right between the eyes." He points his index finger at his forehead and mimes shooting himself in the head.

"What time did this take place?"

"It was 12:22 according to my clock." There's a discernible look of pride on his face at his diligence.

I nod again. He's right on the money. Thankful for my characteristically inexpressive face, I ask him to continue.

"I saw the guy who did it. Got a real good look at him."

"I thought you lived on the third floor." I'm careful to keep my voice as even as possible.

"I do, but I always have my binoculars handy."

I look up at his window, then across the alley at the building opposite.

"You don't happen to use those binoculars at any other times for less noble reasons, do you, Mr. Turner?"

He looks slightly flustered. "Of course not! I-I, um..."

I let him sputter before letting him off the hook. "Sir, at this point, I don't care if you're peering into your neighbor's windows every night hoping to catch a glimpse of something titillating. Why didn't you call the police and tell them what you saw?"

"I was going to, but that's when it got really weird."

"How so?" I'm dreading his answer.

"After the man with the gun shot that other guy, a third guy showed up."

I tense my jaw and have to force myself to relax it. "Did you get a look at him?"

He shakes his head. "All I could see was the back of him. He never turned around. He was about as tall as the guy with the gun and had dark hair like him, too."

I call over the officer who had initially spoken to the witness. "Mr. Turner, I want you to give your address and phone number to Officer Shaw here, and I'll be in touch."

"Don't you want me to give you a description of the killer?"

Shaw looks at me. "He really saw who did it?"

"Yes, he did." I move so my face is only visible to the officer and roll my eyes. "I'm going to arrange to have him talk to a Bureau sketch artist so we can get this guy."

"Yes, sir." I notice Shaw suppresses a smirk, but good old Harold is oblivious. His face is beaming and I can tell he's taken with the chance at staying in the spotlight. I excuse myself and find Scully again.

"What was that all about?" she asks in her usual manner.

"He says he saw what happened."

"Really? What did he have to say?"

"He lives on the third floor of that building," I indicate the window of Harold's apartment, "and claims he got a good look at the guy who did it."

"Well, unless he had binoculars or a telescope, it doesn't seem very likely that he could make a positive ID." Bless Scully for not making me spell it out for her.

"Exactly. Says he doesn't own anything like that, but I told him I'd contact him later to finish the interview."

She frowns. "Why?"

"He did say he heard something, so maybe we can get a name or even an exact time of death from him."

"The autopsy should be able to help us pinpoint the time of death, Mulder."

I try to think of something less obvious to say in order to explain why I still want to see Harold. "Okay, you got me, Scully. Look at him," I say, pointing at the frail figure as he walks to the back entrance of his apartment building. "He probably doesn't have any family, lives alone and wants to feel useful. I said I'd show up later with a sketch artist so he can describe the killer." I grin, shyly. "He reminds me of a great-uncle I knew as a kid."

Scully flashes one of her rare smiles. "Mulder, you're a softie. I had no idea."

Shrugging, I nod my head. "Yeah, I guess I am. I think that tomorrow I'll borrow someone for a few minutes and go to see him and let him feel as if he's helping out. Who knows? Maybe he will end up being useful."

She puts her hand on my arm. "Don't get your hopes up, okay?"

I put my hand over hers. "I won't. I've got to go, but I'll catch up with you later."

"Where are you going?"

"The witness may not have gotten a good look at the killer, but he said it looked like the victim was drunk. He'd seen the two men coming from the direction of a local hangout so I'm going there to see if anyone saw anything unusual."

"It's kind of early, isn't it?"

"Sure, but maybe I'll get lucky."

"You want me to go with you?"

I shake my head. "I was hoping you could supervise the autopsy just to make sure nothing's missed. You're the only one I can really count on to not screw things up. If you find anything unusual, let me know."

"I've got you on speed dial." She smiles again and for a moment I almost feel guilty about what I'm doing. Almost.

xx

I expect to have to wake Alex up when I get home, but the minute I walk in the door, there are signs of life. The smell of coffee fills the air and I can hear the television reporting news of the latest skirmish involving American troops. Before going into the living room, I make a stop in the kitchen. Steaming cup in hand, I join Alex on the couch.

"You're back soon." He doesn't look away from the flickering images on the TV set. His arms are crossed in front of him and I can tell I'll have to do some damage control in order to make him come around.

"I need to talk to you."

"What about?"

Taking a cautious sip, I choose my words with care. "The body was found."

"I know." Alex is staring at a commercial for laundry detergent as if it's the most riveting piece of cinema he's ever seen. "You told me already."

"Scully wondered why we were called in for this case since it wasn't like the others." I put the coffee down on the table and sit back. "I told her I had a hunch that the killer may change his MO."

"Now you're psychic? That should impress Scully.

Ignoring his remark, I continue. "We forgot to get the casing.

"So you'll lose it again."

"Alex," I put my hand on his knee and he looks down at it as if a UFO has landed on his leg. "There's a witness. He saw you."

I don't know if I expect him to jump up and start ranting and raving like a lunatic, but it would be preferable to the silence that meets my statement.

"Alex, did you hear what I sa-"

He looks at me, eyes narrowed. "I heard you." I haven't heard his voice so cold before and the look on his face sends a shiver down my spine.

"What are we going to do?"

"I don't know what you're going to do, but I can always leave."

He may as well have shot me in the gut. The words I never thought I'd hear were being spoken. "What?"

"You can do your little investigation and hope you're never tied to the crimes. I can take off and protect myself."

I fight back the sting of tears as I finally realize what he intends to do.

"Alex, you can't leave."

"Why not? I've done it before." He smiles, wryly. "You remember, don't you, Fox? Remember how pitiful you said your life was because I walked out on you?" I nod and he leans in, his lips grazing mine. "I can do it again," he whispers before kissing me briefly.

Before he can pull away, I grab the back of his head and kiss him forcefully.

He fights me and I feel his teeth bite my bottom lip, then taste the warm salty copper of my own blood.

"You son of a bitch!" I wipe my mouth and show him my blood stained fingers.

"Look what you did."

He's smiling at me. "Good. Now you'll have something to remember me by."

As he gets up to leave me, I can't see myself living without him. He needs to stay with me.

"You're not leaving." My voice cracks and he turns around, laughing at me.

"Really? You don't have the guts to stop me."

"Is that a challenge?"

"You can call it whatever the hell you want. You've never tried before, so why the fuck would you start now?" He turns his back on me and starts towards the bedroom. Before he's taken two steps, I'm off the couch and tackling him, slamming him to the floor. The wind gets knocked out of him and it gives me the advantage.

"Get off me..." He starts to struggle as I attempt to hold him down.

I have his arms pinned above his head but he starts to buck his hips underneath me, grinding our crotches together with every move. I can feel his erection, hard and demanding, trying to burst through his jeans and my body answers in kind. My coat is getting in the way and all I want to do is fuck him into oblivion until he tells me he's never going to leave me again. There's no way for me to shed the burdensome garment without freeing him and I can't allow that to happen, can't take that chance. A voice in my head reminds me that I have not only a pair of handcuffs on me, but a loaded weapon, and I should use them.

"Don't fight me, Alex." I stare down into muddy, hate-filled eyes and wonder why this is happening to me. Why is he doing this to me? As his squirming becomes less frenetic and more deliberate, the look in his eyes changes to one of studied seduction and I know there's no way I'm going to get out of this the way I'd planned. He'll make me fuck him and he'll still leave me.

I know his game and I won't let him do this to me again. All I want is an answer.

"Why, Alex?" I grunt the question, sounding like some desperate animal. I don't like it. I don't like what he's done to me and I know that if I let him go, I'll still need him to pay for it. I love him so much but I can't let him do this again. If he goes, I can't live and if I can't live, neither can he.

"You fucked up, Fox. I told you to have everything ready, but you didn't.

You needed the extra thrill. Guess what? I'm not going to stick around and pay for your fuckups." His voice never rises above a whisper, but it stabs me through the heart.

"I'm sorry, Alex. It's my fault, but that doesn't mean you can leave me." I move one hand around quickly to grab my gun and pull it out, pointing it at his temple. He chuckles and stops moving.

"You're going to kill me now? I didn't think you were that much of a cliche, Fox."

I don't respond to his question, but push my gun against his head.

"Take out my cuffs."

"I don't feel like playing right now."

The butt of my gun hits him across the cheek. He shouldn't make me hurt him like this because I don't like it. I want to make him feel good, but he isn't making it easy.

"Take them out and put them on your wrists."

His eyes are filled with hate as he reaches inside my jacket and finds the pouch containing my handcuffs. He takes them out and clicks one onto his wrist. I sit up, still straddling his hips and fasten the other wrist.

I'm aware of the fact that he could strike me and send me flying back, gun or not, but I watch for any sudden moves and am prepared to shoot if necessary.

"Fox, you don't need to do this."

"Shut up. You said you were leaving me and I won't let that happen."

I'm amazed to see him roll his eyes. "Is that supposed to frighten me?" He raises his cuffed hands. "Do you really want me to stay like this?

Don't you have any pride?"

For some unknown reason, his words get to me and it bothers me that I'm suddenly acting like some crazed fool. He's a grown man. If he wants to leave me, there's nothing I can do to stop him. I'll let him go. I reach into my pocket for the key to the cuffs and unlock them.

"There you go. You can l-"

The punch takes me by surprise and I'm still seeing stars when I feel him grab me by my collar and shake me. I have no idea where my gun went but neither of us has it.

"You stupid fuck! What the hell makes you think you can do anything to control me? Huh?" He slaps me this time and my face burns from the pain and the shame of what I've done to him.

"Alex, I-"

Another slap and I stop talking. He's not ready to listen to me yet. I taste blood and realize that he's reopened the cut on my lip where he'd kissed me earlier.

"Dammit, Fox. Now you're bleeding again." He lowers his head and licks away the blood in a gentle, loving gesture before getting up and pulling me with him. As I look into his face, a bruise forming on his cheek, a drop of my blood on his lip, I want him so badly I'm convinced I'll die if he doesn't fuck me. My cock is aching with need and when I close the space between us,

I feel his erection teasing me through our clothes. This time I'm the one who gyrates my hips in an attempt to convey to him how much I want this. He groans softly and spins me around, pulling my arm behind my back. The familiarity of the maneuver comforts me and I push back against him, feeling his cock against my backside. I continue rubbing against him like some deranged animal, never voicing my need but whimpering as he increases the pressure on my arm. Soon, I feel him moving against me, mimicking fucking me, his hips thrusting against my ass. I'm sure that if I turn around I would see the front of his jeans pulled tightly against his dick...if I unzipped them, he'd be so wet it wouldn't take much to make him come.

"Do it, Alex."

He doesn't answer me but pushes me toward the couch, throwing me face down onto the soft leather. His knee is in my back now and he has released my arm. I leave it behind me though, enjoying the painful burning in my shoulder. Without ceremony, he reaches under me to undo my trousers and yanks them down over my aching cock, exposing my ass to him. I hear him slide his zipper down and I almost come from the sound alone. Soon he'll be pushing into me, sliding in and out of my ass, fucking me into the couch until I can't take it anymore and come, screaming his name. His hands are rough as he raises my hips and spreads my legs. A painful tug on my balls and I scream but not from pain. It's frustration that he won't give me what I want, what I know he wants too. Finally I feel a finger teasing my asshole and I push back, needing some part of him inside me. When he begins fucking me with his finger, I moan and bite down on the cushion pressed to my face

"You like that, slut? You want my cock inside you?"

I nod my head frantically, too much in need to speak.

"Too bad." I feel a stinging slap on my ass and then cool air against my naked skin as he gets off me.

I turn my head to look at him. "What the fuck is this?"

He grins. "Fox, don't you ever get tired of doing this? We need to come up with some other scenario besides me threatening to leave and you trying to stop me then me fighting back." A dramatic sigh. "I almost think you believe it, you know."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. "You fucker, I don't care what we do from now on, just get your dick in my ass." I fail to mention that he's so convincing, sometimes I do believe he'll leave me. Today I've even given him a real reason to go. I banish the thought from my mind. "Do it."

He shrugs and moves back behind me. I feel the cold bite of lube against my asshole as he quickly preps me. At this point I feel as if I could get fucked by a telephone pole, I just want him inside me. He places the tip of his cock against my asshole and spreads my still stinging ass cheeks apart.

I bite my lip as he pushes into me, his cock hard and hot as it assaults me.

He soon establishes a rhythm and I push back to meet every thrust trying to make him bury himself inside me. I close my eyes when he starts moving his hips in a circular motion, stretching me until I want to cry out and tell him to stop...It feels so good, I can't stop my body from ending it and I come all over the cushion and the hem of my shirt. He doesn't last much longer as my body continues to shudder and I clench my ass muscles around him.

"Ahhh... Fox..." one more erratic thrust and I feel his come as it pumps into me, filling me with more of himself than he can know. Every time he fucks me I feel as if another part of myself is lost and replaced with him. He slumps lazily against my back and I feel him stroking the side of my face.

He's murmuring sweet words into my ear, but I don't understand them.

"What are you saying?"

"I love you. I want to stay like this forever." He kisses my ear.

"I'm sorry about your lip."

"It's okay," I say, running my tongue over the small cut. "I... I didn't mean to hit you with the gun. I got carried away."

"It's all right," he murmurs, nuzzling the back of my neck. I shudder when he kisses me softly. "I like you out of control."

"Alex, there's something wrong with me." The words surprise me as they tumble out of my mouth.

"What is it?" I don't need to see his face to see the panic there. He turns me over and his eyes are darting quickly over my face, searching for an answer. "Are you sick?"

I nod slowly and his eyes widen in shock.

"Fox, what is it? Have you been to the doctor?"

"It's nothing like that."

His brow creases and I want desperately to kiss the little ridge that appears between his eyes, just above his nose.

"Then what is it?"

"I'm in love with you. Can you think of anything more sick than that?"

I'd meant to say it in a more teasing way than I did and for a second I see that I've really hurt him. Even though we both declare our love for each other on a regular basis, he so rarely shows me what he's feeling. I feel a sick sense of victory because I've made him reveal some sort of deeply felt emotion that goes beyond what he says to me.

"Alex, I'm sorry."

"No, you're not. It's okay." He gets up and puts out a hand to help me up.

"I can't say that I disagree."

I stand up and roughly fix my clothes. "Don't say that, Alex."

"Why not? I know that deep down you're only with me because I'm who you wish you could be."

My throat is suddenly dry and I want to protest. The only problem is, he's right.

"Alex, that's not true. You know that."

His crooked grin and disbelieving snort tells me exactly what he thinks of that statement. "Spare me, Fox."

I have no response and know that there's nothing I can say to make him believe what I want him to believe. He stares at me defiantly, daring me to open my mouth. I silently hold his gaze, equally defiant.

The shrill ring of my cell phone breaks the tense silence hanging in the air.

Still looking at Alex, I take it out of my pocket and answer it.

"Mulder."

"Mulder, it's me." Scully sounds excited and I wonder what exactly turned up in the autopsy. "We may soon have a suspect."

I swallow hard. "What did you come up with?"

"Well, our witness came back down to talk to us after you left. He said he never got a chance to tell you the really important stuff and wanted us to catch it before we packed up for the day. His words, not mine. I remembered what you said about him not really being any help, but I decided to humor him."

"What did he tell you?"

"He said that after the victim was shot, a third man came out of the shadows and that he and the killer commenced to have sex in the alley."

"And how does that help?" I know the answer and curse myself for not completing the interview. I should have listened to him when he said that something happened after the murder.

"Apparently they performed the act against the wall of the alley and when he showed us where, sure enough we found semen on the bricks. We took some samples and they're looking for possible DNA matches in the criminal database."

I break Alex's gaze and turn my back on him. I had fucked him and it was his semen on the wall. It's only a matter of time before they come up with his name. "Well, that's great, Scully."

"You don't sound too pleased about this."

"I'm just not sure how reliable our witness is."

"Mulder, he said that he saw the murder then showed us the exact spot where the killer and his lover had sex. We're also checking for any physical evidence which may lead to finding the lover so we can get him as an accessory."

Alex puts a hand on my shoulder, but I can't turn around. I cannot face him knowing that I've failed him.

"Scully, let me know the minute you find out anything."

"Aren't you coming in?"

"I still have some loose ends to wrap up here."

"Okay, I'll see you later then."

I hang up the phone and slowly turn around. Alex's eyebrows are raised in silent inquiry and I don't know how to tell him I've fucked up once again.

"Fox, what is it?" he asks finally.

"They have some more evidence."

"What is it? I'm sure you can get it."

I shake my head. "It's already at the lab." I go to sit down on the couch and Alex follows me.

"Tell me what it is."

I look at him to gauge what he's feeling. As usual, he's not revealing anything to me and I can only imagine what his reaction will be to the news.

"They have your DNA."

He looks a little shocked, then frowns. "How'd that happen?" The calmness of his question makes me do a double take.

"Aren't you worried?"

"Just tell me," he snaps.

"The witness saw us have sex after you killed the guy. Your semen was on the wall and they found it."

"I knew you should have been bottom." He actually laughs and I wonder if he understands the enormity of the situation.

"Alex, this isn't funny. They have physical evidence linking you to the crime."

"Fox, you don't think that's happened to me before? I've always managed to take care of it. How the hell do you think I've stayed out of prison this long?"

"So what do we do?"

"We kill the witness."

I think about it. It's so obvious. If there's no witness to confirm that the murderer and Alex are the same person, all the authorities have is evidence that Alex gets fucked in alleys. In my panic over what I'd done, or failed to do, I didn't even think about it.

"I have his address, when do you want to go?"

"Let me shower and get dressed."

"Let me join you."

xx

We don't talk as we drive to Harold's apartment. We decided that Alex would pose as an agent so he is wearing a suit I'd bought him. At the time he thought I was being stupid, but I knew I'd get him to wear it eventually. I can't stop looking at him as he sits next to me. This is not the same rookie, virgin Alex look that I first came into contact with. The man sitting next to me is dressed in a dark grey, tailored designer suit and looks every inch the savvy professional. His hair is slicked back and he is exuding so much sex I want to stop the car and fuck him blind. He finally breaks the silence.

"What are you staring at?"

"You."

"Obviously. Do I look ridiculous?"

I grin as I quickly look at him then back to the road. "Hardly. I was thinking about how much I'd like to fuck you in the back seat."

"You could always just pull over and suck my dick. This way I won't get too wrinkled." The wicked smile on his face distracts me almost as much as what he said and I have to remember to look ahead of me so we don't end up crashing into anything.

"Dammit, Alex. Why do you say things like that?"

"Because I know you like to hear them." His hand is on my thigh and I feel a pleasant albeit inconvenient stirring in my crotch. The bastard always does this to me. That's why I love him.

"I may take you up on it later."

He moves his hand down to the inside of my thigh, his fingers inches from my steadily hardening cock. "Why wait?"

"Alex..."

"What?" His hand gives my leg a squeeze then moves so it rests on my crotch.

"From the feel of things, maybe I should do you."

"Not while I'm driving. And I'm not a young man anymore. You're going to kill me."

"Fox, you're an excellent driver and you're only as young as you feel." He starts massaging my cock through the too thin material of my trousers sending chills through me as I try to get my mind on something else.

"Alex, stop it. I'm gonna have to pull over if you keep this up."

"No you won't. I trust you not to kill us." He moves his other hand over to my lap and unfastens my pants. As he slides the zipper down, I see the evil look on his face. When his hand touches my sensitive skin, I inhale sharply.

"You like that." He removes his hand and opens my glove compartment taking out a well used tube of lube.

"Alex, I'm serious."

"So am I," he says sternly, squeezing some of the gel onto his fingers.

"Keep your eyes on the road." There's an edge to his voice that always elicits the same response from my body. I know he's going to do what he wants so I might as well go along with it.

"At least let me pull over somewhere." My voice goes up on the last word as he slips his slicked hand inside my pants and grasps my erection. He chuckles at the effect he's having on me.

"I think this is fine. You concentrate on driving and I'll do the rest." I feel his hand begin slowly moving up and down the length of my cock and I start to move my hips in time with the rhythm he's established. He stops.

"Sit still or I'm going to leave you like this."

"Okay."

He resumes the infuriatingly slow strokes and my teeth are clenched as I force my body to stay still.

"Fox, you're starting to breathe a little faster. Are you okay?"

I don't bother looking at him just in case he decides to stop.

"I think this may be too much for you. You're right. We can do this later."

"Keep your fucking hand where it is or I cut it off." I speak before I can censor myself. It's so hard to tell how Alex will react when I contradict him. At times he gets angry and finds another way to deal with me, at others, he tells me how much he loves me and does his best to give me what I've been wanting.

"Watch it, Fox." My stomach clenches until I hear him laugh. "You're starting to sound like me." If only he knew how much like him I am becoming.

I start to tell him that I want to be him, but he squeezes my cock and I lose my ability to speak. Soon, he is squeezing and pulling the turgid flesh and I know I'm going to come all over my clothes. I hope that he has something I can come into, but I don't dare ask.

"Come on, Fox. We're going to be there soon, aren't we?" His voice is so close to my ear, I know that if I turn my head, I'll be able to kiss him.

The strong grip he has on me tightens further and he quickens the pace and I start moaning as he laughs. Hot, quick bursts of air flow against my ear as he presses his forehead to my temple. "I love you, Fox.

"Alex...ohh...god..." I cry out as an orgasm rips through my body. I grip the steering wheel so tightly my knuckles turn white, but I keep my eyes on the road. Alex kisses my cheek and takes his hand out of my pants. I feel him reach into my inside coat pocket and pull out my handkerchief.

"Wasn't that easy, babe?" I glance at him as he wipes his hand and cleans me up. "I love doing that to you."

"I know you do."

He strokes the side of my face with his fingers, sliding them over to gently brush against my lips. I kiss his fingertips.

"I don't want you to forget how I make you feel, Fox," he says, playing with my bottom lip.

I take his hand and kiss it, my eyes never leaving the road. "I don't think that would ever happen." I squeeze his hand. "I know that will never happen."

We pull up in front of the apartment building and I tell Alex to come up in five minutes and to make sure no one sees him.

"Gee, thanks, Fox. I've never done this before."

"Smartass." I take the keys out of the ignition and hesitate for just a moment to look at Alex. Stroking the side of his face, I wonder what I'll do if I lose him again, this time through no choice of his own.

"Get up there."

"Five minutes, okay?"

He nods and I go up to visit Mr. Turner.

xx

I knock on the door and hear a frail voice ask who it is.

"Agent Mulder. I spoke to you earlier today about the shooting in the alley."

There's the familiar sound of many locks being undone and the door opens.

"Hello, Agent Mulder. Come on in."

I enter the small apartment and look around at the belongings of a man who probably doesn't have much family or many friends. I see the window where he saw Alex and me. I cross the room to the window and look down onto the alley.

"Mr. Turner, wasn't it too dark to really see anything?"

"Nope."

I'm surprised by the answer because I remember the alley being unlit.

The light that was supposed to be there had probably burnt out long ago and the city had failed to replace it. I didn't know how this man could have seen anything.

"The light out there doesn't work, Mr. Turner. I really have a hard time believing that you saw anything."

He looks at me guiltily and goes to a small desk pushed up against the left wall. Opening a drawer, he looks at me as if he expects to be arrested, then pulls out a pair of night vision glasses. I cannot believe this guy.

"These are really what I used to watch everything." He hands them to me as if surrendering a weapon. "Am I in trouble?"

"No, Mr. Turner. These are not illegal. However, I have a feeling that your usual activities involving them may be questionable."

He looks properly chagrined and I wish I could bust him for being a peeping Tom. Oh well, anything he saw will be a moot point as soon as Alex gets up here.

There's a knock on the door and I smile as I think about the moment I'll nail Alex to the wall as soon as he takes care of our problem.

"That's probably my partner," I say and go to answer the door. I'm smiling like an idiot when I open the door and see....Scully.

"Mulder? What are you doing here?"

"Scully?" Shit. I'm looking over her shoulder in the hopes that Alex saw her come up here before him. I know he's a smart man and would stay put until I can get out of here.

"I have those test results and I came over here to take Mr. Turner into protective custody."

I frown at her. "Why does he have to be in protective custody?"

"Just to be safe. The kind of luck we've had with this case, I wouldn't want anything to happen to him. You agree don't you?"

I shake my head. "I think you're overreacting."

"You do? But Mulder, you want to crack this case as much as anyone, don't you?"

"Of course I do." I look at the envelope she has in her hands. "So what did you find out?"

"Oh, I haven't opened it yet." She unfastens the metal bracket and slides the report out of the envelope. The moment I see her eyes widen in surprise,

I know that Alex has been found out. "You will not believe this Mulder

Our killer has a name and it's probably not going to be a surprise."

"Who is it?"

"Alex Krycek." She looks at Mr. Turner. "Sir, we need to take you down to the police station and have you look at some photos. If you can pick out this man from a photo lineup, you may have just helped us solve this case."

I don't think Harold Turner had ever felt as important as he did at that moment.

"Where are you going to take me to protect me?"

Scully smiles and looks at me. I force a smile and wait for her answer. If I can tell Alex where to find him, we can still get out of this.

"There's a hotel we sometimes use for our witnesses, Mr. Turner. Why don't you pack a few things and I'll wait for you."

When Harold goes into his bedroom, I turn to Scully. "What makes you think he's in danger, Scully? No one's heard from or seen Alex Krycek in months.

There's no way he'd know that he'd been seen."

"Mulder, can I be honest with you?"

"Sure."

"I feel like the problems we've had with losing evidence and all the false leads may be an inside job."

"Why do you say that?" I keep my voice steady even as my heart begins to race.

"It's just happening too often to be coincidence. What if Krycek has someone on the inside who's protecting him? As soon as he finds out about this witness, Mr. Turner is a dead man. We can't take that risk. That's why you and I are the only ones who will know where he's being hidden. This way we're guaranteed to keep our witness alive."

"Good idea, Scully." My smile is actually a grimace, but I don't think she notices. I am now truly fucked. If anything happens to Mr. Turner, there'll be one of two people involved in the case who could have done anything to him. Shit.

"I'm going to have some agents from the local Bureau help watch him. Since they don't know what case we're working on, there's no danger of one of them being the informant."

"Okay. Scully, you take Mr. Turner to the hotel and I'm going to head back to my apartment."

"Calling it a day rather early, aren't you?"

"I have to get in contact with some people to see if we can find Krycek."

Scully smiles. "Ah, our three little friends?"

"You got it." I wink at her. As I leave, I give her a little wave and close the door behind me. The smile I have frozen on my face immediately falls away and I'm determined to get downstairs to Alex and tell him the latest bad news. He's going to be so pissed off about this, but he'll have to get over it if we're going to take care of everything.

I get downstairs and am relieved to see Alex in the passenger seat. I wasn't sure if he would have bolted at seeing Scully going up to Harold's apartment.

I open the driver's door and get in quickly. The sooner we can get back to my apartment, the better.

"What the hell is Scully doing here?"

I start the car and pull out before I answer him. "They know it was you and she wants to move Old Harold to our safe house."

"Where is it? We can get him there."

I shake my head. "No, we can't. She thinks that there's someone working on the inside to sabotage this case and wants the only people who know where our star witness is staying to be herself and me."

Glancing at him nervously, to see how he's taking the news, I'm surprised to see him smiling.

"What on earth could you be smiling about, babe?"

"I'd pay good money to see Scully's face if she ever found out who the saboteur was." He puts a hand on my knee. "She'd be so fucking disillusioned. It would be worth going to prison just to see her get hurt by your betrayal."

"What the hell are you implying?"

"Relax, Fox." A hard squeeze and a laugh. "There's no way I could ever get you into trouble, no matter how entertaining I think Scully would be."

"Alex, you're such a shit."

"C'mon, lover. Don't be upset with me."

"What I don't understand is why you're not upset."

"I could be, but what purpose would it serve? When we get home I'll tell you why I'm not worried about this. We'll be fine."

I look at him, puzzled. What the hell was he talking about? Why couldn't he tell me in the car? Still, I've learned not to question him about matters such as these.

xx

The elevator doors have barely closed and Alex is tugging at his tie as if it were a hangman's noose.

"I can't believe I used to wear one of these things. I hate it."

I put my arms around him and place a quick kiss on his neck. "But you look so good all dressed up like a grown up."

He laughs and turns into my embrace. "Gee, really? Well, that makes it all worthwhile. I guess you don't think I look good in my regular clothes, huh?"

"Baby, you look good in anything and everything." A quick kiss on his smiling lips. "Oh, and you look really good in nothing too."

"So do you." He slides my jacket off my shoulders and starts to undo my tie.

"I love your body," he snarls as he bites my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

The doors open and he's still sucking on my neck. "Alex, let's go."

"Hmm?" He lifts his head and looks at the open doors as if suddenly remembering where he is. Grabbing my hand, he drags me out of the elevator and down the hall. Before I can take my keys out of my pocket, his hand is digging into my pants pocket and pulling them out. He quickly unlocks the door and pulls me inside, slamming me up against the wall. His mouth attacks my throat and I feel him marking me, his teeth nipping my sensitive skin.

When his tongue laps at the red mark I know is there, it gives me chills despite its heat.

"Alex, you need to tell me..." I don't finish my sentence as I feel his hand work it's way under my trench coat and suit jacket. He starts pulling my shirt free from my pants and soon his hand is caressing my stomach.

All I'm aware of is the heat of him as he leans into me, his mouth now on my nipples, tonguing them through the thin material of my shirt as his hand continues to roam over my back. I cry out when he bites me, and I wonder if there'll be blood staining my shirt when he takes it off me.

"I need you naked, Fox," he growls and I feel him pull my shirt the rest of the way out. "Help me."

I shrug out of my coat and jacket as he fumbles with the buttons on my shirt, getting impatient and ripping some from their delicate moorings. He pushes it off my shoulders and down my arms, then yanks my undershirt up and over my head before my shirt has hit the floor. I stand in front of him, bare-chested and he runs his hands over my skin as if reading my body.

He knows exactly what he wants, and I wait for him to take it.

"Finish getting undressed, lover. I have a surprise for you." The glint in his eyes tells me it's something I'll like but I'm wary just the same.

His surprises haven't always been things that have pleased me but I've gone along with them, for him. I stop thinking about it and take off the rest of my clothes.

He comes out of the bedroom carrying a piece of black leather in his hand and I recognize it as a hood. He raises it in front of my face and I see that there are no eye holes, just one for my mouth. We've never used these accessories before, and I wonder what he's going to do to me.

"You'll be fine, Fox." He puts the hood over my head, and I have to bite back a moment of panic at the sudden claustrophobia. Alex senses my apprehension and starts saying soothing words and rubbing my back, his hand trailing down over my backside and back up to my neck. He starts massaging my neck and I feel myself relaxing. As soon as he realizes I have calmed down, he puts his hand on my shoulder and pushes me down onto my knees.

"Now," he begins, stroking my back, "about the situation we suddenly find ourselves in because of you. How do you think we should remedy this?"

"I-I don't know," I stammer. Suddenly I feel as if I can't breathe and quickly pull the hood off. "I'm sorry, Alex. I can't do th-"

The knock on the door makes us both jump.

"Mulder," I hear Scully's muffled voice. "It's me."

"Dammit," Alex snarls. "I'm going to kill the bitch."

"Just get in the bedroom." I grab my clothes and pull on my pants and undershirt as fast as possible, tossing any remaining garments into my closet. "Just a second, Scully," I yell towards the door. One more check for anything incriminating and I answer the door.

"Mulder, thank god you're okay." She rushes past me, a flash of red hair and determined energy. I watch as she starts for my bedroom.

"Whoa, wait a minute!" Crossing in front of her, I manage to reach the door first and put my hand against it. "What's going on?"

She looks up at me, her blue eyes frantically searching my face.

"Mulder, it's Krycek."

I try to speak above the pounding of my heart. "What do you mean?"

"He was seen outside your apartment this week and someone swears they saw him inside this morning."

I frown as I try to think of who the hell could have seen Alex. He's always so careful when I'm not here. "Are you sure? Who told you this?"

"Does it really matter?"

"Yes, it does." More than she can know. "I don't want everyone going into a panic based on one person thinking they've seen him here."

"It's more than one person, Mulder. A neighbor of yours just happened to be down at the police station filing a report about a purse snatching when Mr. Turner ID'd Krycek."

"Which neighbor?"

"Mrs. McAllen. Do you know her?"

I search for any hint of recognition, but finding none, shake my head.

"She lives next door. She said that a few days ago she saw a man fitting Krycek's description entering your apartment. Did you notice if anything was missing or had been tampered with?"

I shake my head and make a note to shoot my neighbor the next time I see her.

"You said there was more than one witness."

"Yes, the other one is apparently a delivery boy who came by this morning.

He had the wrong address but remembers knocking on your door and a dark haired man answering it."

"How the hell did you already talk to a delivery boy who happened to be here this morning?"

The look Scully shoots me makes me realize I've reacted in a way completely opposite to what she expected.

"Mulder, I think the more relevant question here is what Krycek was doing in your apartment this morning? For all we know he could still be in the area or at least have this place under surveillance."

"You're right, Scully. I just don't understand how all these convenient witnesses could show up at the same time to place Krycek here."

She sighs and I wonder if she suspects something. "I already explained to you about Mrs. McAllen."

"Right, her purse was snatched and she just happened to be at the police station when Mr. Turner made the ID."

"Mulder, why do you sound so suspicious? I thought you'd be happy to know that we may have a lead which could result in the apprehension of a cold-blooded killer. Isn't that why you've been working on this case?"

"Fine, Scully. What about the delivery boy. Doesn't that sound a bit too much like a set-up?"

She frowns and I replay my last words. I'm beginning to sound like a paranoid idiot and the look on her face tells me she's thinking the same thing.

"Mulder, who would set it up to look like Krycek was here? What could anyone possibly gain from that?"

I try to think of a plausible reason when I hear a thump from my bedroom.

Scully turns her head quickly and has the door open before I can stop her.

The next few events are all a blur yet crystal clear at the same time.

I feel as if I'm watching a movie being run in super slo-mo. When Scully opens the door, the first thing she sees is Alex standing in my bedroom wearing a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Somehow she fails to notice the gun he's holding. She goes for her gun and is about to point it at him when I hear a blast and see a sharp flash of light. I hear a scream and it doesn't register that it's Scully until I see her fly backwards, arms flailing.

When she hits the ground, I see a red bloom seeping through the smooth, creamy silk of her blouse, just below her left shoulder. I start towards her but am stopped by the sound of Alex's voice

"Hold it, Agent Mulder. Don't move."

I look at him and start to ask him what the hell he's doing when he moves to me.

"Are you armed?" He cocks an eyebrow at me then glances at Scully.

"No," I say, too loudly.

"Fine. Help your partner."

I stoop down next to Scully and see that she's opening her eyes, the lids fluttering like the wings of a panicked bird. For a moment I wonder if I could kill her if the need should ever arise. The thought disturbs me, not because of its content, but because I don't see anything particularly wrong with it.

"Mulder," she whispers, "what happened?"

"You've been shot, Scully. Lie still." I feel something hit my arm and see that Alex has thrown me a dishtowel. Folding the small square of terry cloth, I place it against the wound in an attempt to stem the bleeding.

"It was Krycek." Her voice sounds small and for the first time since we've been partners, she seems helpless. I can't decide if I like that or not. It would definitely make it easier to take her. I shake my head to rid myself of the invading thought and continue to tend her wound.

"I know. We're going to have to get you to a hospital."

"I don't think so, Agent Mulder." I hear Alex's voice behind me and I turn around, looking up at him as his radiant smile rains down on me. "What makes you think I want to be caught today? You can take care of her."

"She needs professional help-" I start to protest when he jams the gun in my face and slips me a conspiratorial wink. The way he looks standing over me, gun in hand, wicked grin on his face, I want to grab him and fuck him. Blood rushing to my groin is not making it any easier to keep my mind on the situation at hand and I can only hope my soon to be obvious desire will not be noticed by Scully.

"Why don't you check the wound? I'd bet it was a clean shot." He trails the barrel of the gun over my lips and I know he wants to kiss me.

"Shouldn't be too hard," another smirk, "to take care of, I mean."

I nod my head and turn back to Scully. "I'm going to have to look at it, okay? You'll need to sit up a little."

"Okay," she says breathlessly. I help her into a sitting position and begin to pull the collar of her blouse to the side so I can see the wound.

"Take off her shirt." I look at Alex. "So you can see things better, Mulder." The look on Alex's face is the same one I've seen countless times before when he's in the mood to play.

"Scully, I'm going to remove your coat." I ease the overcoat off her shoulder and help her to free her arms. The way she's moving, it seems as if she's regaining her senses. I start to unbutton her blouse, when she puts a hand over mine.

"I can do it, Mulder." With trembling fingers, she manages to manipulate the small pearl buttons until her shirt is hanging open, revealing a lace bra almost identical in color to the now ruined blouse. She begins to peel the shirt away from her wound and grimaces when cool air hits the dark red, bloody hole. "Put this on the exit wound," she says, handing me the shirt.

I look at the back of her shoulder and indeed see an exit wound.

Pressing the towel to the front of her shoulder and the blouse to the back, I await further instructions.

"Mulder, do you have any gauze or anything?" Alex surprises me by asking the question.

"I have a first aid kit in my kitchen," as you well know, I almost add. I watch Alex go to the kitchen and make a show of opening and closing cupboards in an attempt to locate the kit. Finally, he finds it, winks at me again, and returns to us, crouching beside his victim.

"Okay, Scully. I'm going to patch you up." He fishes out a few sterile packets of gauze and rips them open.

"You need to disinfect it first," Scully says through gritted teeth.

It's not pain, it's the idea of Alex tending to her that is causing the most discomfort right now.

"Oh, of course." To the untrained ear, the tone Alex uses is quite polite.

To me it means trouble. "How silly of me." He finds the small bottle of rubbing alcohol and takes out a few cotton balls with which to apply it.

"Lean back a little. This is going to sting."

"Just do it." I want to tell Scully she shouldn't talk to Alex that way, but at this point it doesn't really matter. She closes her eyes in anticipation of the sting.

"Okay, here we go." I don't say a word as I watch Alex, instead of soaking the cotton balls, hold the bottle over the open wound and pour the rubbing alcohol directly into the hole.

Scully screams in pain and surprise as the alcohol burns into the raw, tender flesh. "You motherfucker!" She collapses and appears to pass out. I look at Alex.

"Why did you do that?"

"She was pissing me off," he says matter-of-factly. Scully stirs, her moans relaying the pain she's feeling. "If I were you, I'd watch my step so I don't do something to hurt you." I know the words are for Scully's benefit.

"What do you want, Krycek?" I decide I may as well play along, not only because I don't want Scully to know the truth, but also because I have to know how Alex plans to fix this.

"A little birdie told me you guys were on to me. I came here to dissuade you from pursuing the case any further."

"Not a chance, you son of a bitch." Scully's fully awake now.

"Dana...can I call you Dana?" He doesn't wait for a reply. "I don't have any qualms about killing you then tracking down your star witness and blowing his brains out. You won't believe how easy it is for me kill. Well," he laughs, "I guess you would since you're ready to send me up the river for multiple murders." At that moment as I watch him, I have to stop myself from reaching out to touch the confident, cocky face. He continues. "If you're good and accidentally fuck up the case, I'll be happy to let you both go without hurting either one of you...more."

"That's not going to happen," Scully hisses through clenched teeth. I usually admire her tenacity, but right now I just want her to shut up.

Alex puts down the gun and picks up the gauze and tape so he can finish taking care of her wounds. I watch him work and am a little taken aback at the tenderness he shows her while she's shooting daggers at him. For the first time, she notices he isn't holding his weapon and makes a grab for it.

I almost think I see her eyes question why I didn't take it when I had the chance. Luckily, Alex sees her make her move and takes it before she can.

"Not smart, Dana."

"Well, what kind of genius puts down his gun when holding hostages? I thought you'd be better at this Krycek."

He looks at her for a second and I can't tell if he's going to hit her or let it go. He does neither, instead placing a finger on her collar bone and tracing a line down to the swell of her breasts. She slaps his hand and he grabs her injured shoulder, squeezing it. As she cries out in pain, a small part of me wants to tell him to stop, but I stay silent, content to watch the scene play out.

"You son of a bitch," she gasps, her eyes tight as she fights to keep silent, knowing that he's enjoying her cries of agony.

"Scully, don't antagonize him," I blurt out before I can stop myself.

She gives me another strange look, as if she doesn't know me.

"Mulder's right, Dana." He looks at me and frowns. "You know, I think I need to make sure you won't try anything."

"Why? I haven't made a move against you. I haven't even tried to go for my weapon."

"Good point, but I don't want to take any chances that you'll try anything tonight."

Scully sits up a little. "You're going to keep us here overnight?"

"I'm going to keep you here for as long as it takes to convince you to drop the case."

"Then we're going to be here for a while. The Bureau is going to come looking for us when we don't show up at work. It's just a matter of time until you're caught."

"Thanks for reminding me, Dana. Mulder, may I use your phone?"

I nod and steal a glance at Scully. She indicates I should try to rush him once his back is to me and he's on the phone. I shake my head.

"I don't want to risk him hurting you anymore.

"Mulder, you haven't exactly stopped him up to this point." She immediately takes it back, a slightly horrified look on her face. "I'm sorry. We can't let him turn us against each other."

I shake my head. "It's okay, Scully." I start to stand up. "Why don't we get you over to the couch so you can at least lie down, okay?"

She nods and I take her in my arms. I realize how small she is when I manage to lift her with little effort. Amazing how much bigger she seems when she's spouting her latest diatribe against one of my theories.

I gently lay her on the couch and watch Krycek on the phone.

"Yes, may I speak to Assistant Director Skinner's secretary, please?"

"Krycek, what are you doing?" Scully asks.

He turns to face her, but doesn't answer the question. I look at him, wondering what he could possibly have to say to Skinner.

"Hello? Yes, my name is Detective Travers. I'm working with Agents Mulder and Scully on the serial killer case they've been...yes, that's it.

They asked me to call on their behalf to inform you that they've gotten a serious lead on a suspect and are in the process of following up on it." He pauses, frowning. "I'm not sure about why they haven't made contact with their supervisor, ma'am. I'm just telling you what they asked me to do. I am under the impression that they will check in once they've reached their destination. I expect to be hearing from them soon, as well." He nods his head, listening. "I don't know. They are pretty convenient, but not always reliable. What're the odds, huh?" He laughs. "Yeah, that's happened to me too. What's that? Of course. It's 114. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear from them. Uh huh...you too. Bye bye."

He hangs up the phone and smiles at me.

"What the hell are you doing, Alex?" I step toward him and grab his arm.

"They're going to look for us."

I don't realize what I've said until I hear a quiet voice behind me.

"Mulder?"

I turn around and face my partner. "Scully, I..."

"Of course they're going to look for us."

"Yes, I know," I say quickly. "Of course they will."

"Then why does that sound like something you don't want?"

Her eyes have me rooted to the spot and I can't think of what to say to her.

I'm about to tell her everything, when I feel Alex walk up behind me.

"Mulder's not an idiot, Scully. He knows it'll be easier to settle this without anyone getting hurt, if we can discuss this whole situation free from outside interference."

"Then why did you call Skinner?" Scully asks defiantly.

Alex shrugs and laughs. I don't think he even knows why he called.

"Tell you what, Dana. I'll explain everything to you as soon as we've relocated."

Her eyes flash momentarily. "You said we were going to stay here."

He saunters over to her and crouches down next to the couch. Leaning in toward her until his face is a few scant inches from hers, I recognize the look on his face. It's the same look he has just before he kisses me.

"Alex..." His name is spoken involuntarily as I step forward, my arm outstretched in an attempt to stop him from what he's about to do.

Two pairs of eyes look up at me and I glance from one to the other, trying to determine which is conveying more emotion. Alex looks irritated with me for interrupting whatever it is he was about to do, and Scully...her eyes are filled with confusion and anger. When I look at Alex again, our eyes lock, and he smiles sweetly at me, signaling the cessation of his frustration with me. I can't help myself and return the smile with all the warmth and affection I'm feeling for him at that moment. Once more, I look at Scully and watch as confusion makes way for realization, then finally the smoldering look of shock, pain and betrayal.

"No," she shakes her head, "no, Mulder. No...you couldn't possibly..." She continues to shake her head in her futile attempt to negate her sudden insight into my relationship with Alex.

Still next to the couch, Alex looks at her and grins. "Yes, he could...and he does." He raises himself a little and takes a seat next to Scully. She shifts on the couch, recoiling from him as if he were a viper poised to strike. The movement jars her wound and she shuts her eyes tightly, breath hissing through clenched teeth.

"Scully, are you okay?" I go to her, placing a hand on her uninjured shoulder.

Without a word, she stares up at me, the shock from before, gone. It has been replaced with contempt and loathing, things I knew I would see in her eyes if she ever found out about Alex and me. When I thought about what the moment of discovery would be like, I had imagined I would be much more upset.

What I have discovered is there is...nothing.

"Fox," Alex says, interrupting my thoughts, "I'm going to secure a vehicle.

You keep an eye on our guest." He starts to walk to the door when he stops and turns to look at me. There's a wicked gleam in his eye as he approaches me, licking his lips. With one quick glance at Scully, he grabs the back of my head and pulls me to him for a kiss. I forget everything as I feel his tongue invade my mouth in an act of possession and declaration, its wet heat filling my senses, making me gasp at the want and urgency behind it.

As I respond in kind, I hear a muted cry from Scully. I don't care what she thinks at this point, all I want is Alex.

When we break apart, he's grinning at me as if he's won a hard-fought battle.

His parted lips are moist, and as I imagine my cock sliding between them, I groan and move in to kiss him again. This time he wraps his arms around me and I can feel the hard steel of the gun in his hand as it presses against my back. Our bodies are clenched together, his steadily hardening erection pressing against my already aching groin. I don't know how he can have this power over me, but I never want to question how good it feels to be with him like this.

"You'd better go," I whisper against his lips, my hand moving down his back.

"You don't want to give Scully an eyeful?"

I shake my head and steal a look at her. She glares at me then turns to face the wall.

Alex shrugs and releases me. "Maybe later, then?"

I grunt noncommittally and he laughs.

"You've made your choice, Fox. I think you'd better learn to live with it."

"I never had a choice, babe."

He looks at me curiously, then gives Scully a mock salute. "I shall return with transportation for you, ma'am."

She doesn't turn around. "Go to hell, Krycek."

"Already been there, Dana." One more kiss and he leaves.

I don't know what to say to Scully. It's obvious that I'm not going to help her fight Alex. Maybe if I can find a way to explain everything to her, she'll understand. It makes sense to me, and I don't see why it wouldn't to her.

"Scully, look at me, please."

"I can't­" Her voice hitches and I know she's crying. "I can't look at you, Mulder. I don't want to see what you've become."

"What have I become?"

She laughs bitterly and shakes her head. "If I have to tell you, there's no point, is there?"

"No, I want to know what you're thinking." I don't know why I want to hear her say what I already know. I step closer to the couch and begin to sit down, but then I think better of it and stay standing. "Tell me what's going through that analytical mind of yours." My voice is harsh and mocking.

For the first time, I no longer feel obligated to treat her with the respect we've built over our years as partners. I see her as an obstacle, someone who can make me lose everything. Before I can be startled by my feelings, they've taken over completely, and I want to know if she'll make me choose between what's right, and what I want. In a way, as I think about it, there's not really a difference.

"Mulder," she turns her head to look up at me. "I don't know how you can throw away everything for that." She looks at the front door.

"Doesn't what you and I have gone through mean anything to you? Doesn't the law mean anything? I don't understand what's happened to you."

I squat next to the couch and choose my words with care. "I love Alex. That's the only thing that matters to me anymore. If giving up who I was means I can protect him, so be it."

"But how can you love him? Mulder, don't you remember what he's done to you? How can all of that be erased by...whatever it is you think you feel for him?"

"I said I love him. He makes me understand myself better than anyone has before. I'm nothing like the man you thought you knew."

"Yes, you are." Her eyes are wide, pleading, the tears falling down her cheeks as she tries to convince me that I'm mistaken. "You are a wonderful human being, not some immoral bastard like him. You can't let him make you into something you're not."

"Why not?" I raise my voice and stand up. "Isn't that what you're trying to do, right now?"

"Mulder, please..."

"Alex is the first person who has made me see who I really am. He's the only one who really knows me, knows what I want. Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise."

She begins to say something, but finally chooses to stay silent. I can see that she knows she can't win this particular argument.

"Scully, if you just go along with us, Alex will let you go. We can lose that physical evidence, and once we get rid of the witness, there'll be no way to tie Alex to the murders."

"Do you hear yourself, Mulder? You sound like a madman. You know I can't do that. You can't do that, either. We have a duty to uphold, and I can't ignore my responsibilities just because you're fucking our main suspect."

She spits the words at me. "I should have killed him when I had the chance."

My hand flies before I can stop it, and I don't realize I've slapped her until I see her put a shaking hand to her face. She stares up at me, her cheek quickly reddening. Whatever chance there was for her understanding is gone in those few seconds.

"Make this easy on yourself, Scully. I don't think Alex is going to be as generous with you." My words sound calm, belying the anger I'm feeling.

She sighs heavily and I think that for a moment she's going to try and talk me out of my involvement with Alex. Instead, she surprises me.

"Okay, Mulder. You win. I'll lose the evidence. I'll look the other way while you do whatever you have to do."

I'm stunned. I never expected her to give in this easily, and for a second I think she's lying to me.

"How do I know I can trust you, Scully?"

"Mulder, look at how long we've been partners. You've always trusted me."

I watch her, looking for any indication that she's being deceptive. I don't see anything, but know I should wait and talk to Alex before making a decision.

The door opens and he walks in, a satisfied look on his face.

"Okay, we're ready to go," he says, rubbing his hands together.

"Alex, we need to talk. Scully said she's willing to help us if we let her go."

The expression of shock on his face is priceless, and I would laugh under different circumstances.

"You're kidding me. Saint Dana of the Skeptics is going to...break the law?"

He put his hands over his mouth and opens his eyes wide in mock horror.

"Alex," I touch his arm, "maybe we should see what she's agreed to do."

"Okay, fine." He sits down on the coffee table, his elbows resting on his knees in such a casual manner, you would have thought he and Dana were going to chat about the latest movies they'd seen. "Tell us your plan, Dana."

She swallows hard, and I go into the kitchen to get her a glass of water. I can hear her start to speak.

"Mulder has made it very clear to me that he is not willing to listen to reason when it comes to you, Krycek. I'm not holding out for a miracle that will let him see what kind of shit you are, so I don't think I have a choice but to help you."

I return to the living room and hand her the glass. She takes it and drinks the water in small sips. Alex has an amused, patronizing look on his face, and I know he finds Scully's insult to be of no consequence.

She holds out the glass to me, but Alex takes it, setting it down gently next to him

"Dana, you always have choices. You've chosen to live. That wasn't very hard, was it?" His words shock me. I hadn't ever thought he would actually kill her if she didn't help us. Is he crazy? Doesn't he know what kind of investigation they'd launch for the killing of a Federal Agent?

Scully continues to talk, her mouth dry despite the water she's just had.

"I agree to lose the DNA report. I have the only copy and I'll shred it, burn it, whatever. If you...eliminate the witness, there won't be anything to connect you to the latest victim."

"What about the witnesses who said they saw Alex here?" I ask, taking a seat next to him. My hand automatically reaches for his, and I notice a hint of distaste cross Scully's face as my fingers entwine with Alex's.

"All that proves is that Krycek was in the area according to those two people. They know nothing of the murders. If the eyewitness to the crime is out of the picture and the physical evidence is gone, we're at another dead end."

I squeeze Alex's hand and he turns to look at me.

"I think it'll work, Alex."

He nods slowly, as if mulling things over. Suddenly, narrowing his eyes into a steely gaze, he faces Scully.

"How do we know you'll really do what you say?"

"I know you're not familiar with the concept, but you have my word."

"I don't know." He looks at me. "What do you think, Fox?" I cast a quick look at Scully, and she stares at me defiantly. "I believe her."

Alex sighs heavily and stands up. "Sorry, Dana. You might have him fooled, but I'm not buying it."

"Then what the fuck do you expect me to do to prove it to you?"

Tugging on his lower lip, thoughtfully, Alex starts pacing the room. The swagger in his hips and the way he purses his lips, makes me want to capture him in my arms and make him give up everything to me. My cock twitches as I think about him surrendering to my every whim, and I have to force myself not to get distracted by my need for him.

He stops and snaps his fingers. "I've got it." Resuming his position next to me on the coffee table, he leans toward Scully. "You'll come with us when we take care of Mr. Turner."

"What?" She sits up a little more. "He's being watched by agents from the local Bureau. You can't just waltz in there with us and expect to kill him while he's in protective custody."

"I can, and I will," he replies calmly. "In fact, I think you're going to do the honors, Dana."

I watch as her expression changes from mere frustration to horror.

Alex has given her an ultimatum. Either she kills our witness, or she's going to die.

I wonder if the power of self-preservation will be enough to make her abandon her noble attitudes about justice and the law.

"Krycek, you can't be serious." Her voice is a whisper, and I hear utter disbelief at what she's being forced to face.

"I am, Dana." He looks at me. "I think we should go. Oh, before I forget, why don't you call Skinner before he decides to check on Detective Travers."

I take out my cell phone and punch in Skinner's number. "I don't know why you had to make up that guy, Alex. I could have just called him and-"

"I didn't make him up. Stuart Travers is a good friend of mine and just happens to work for this department. He wouldn't mind that I've used his name in vain." He grins when he sees the look of surprise on Scully's face.

"Yes, Dana, he's been working as a sort of back-up in case you got too close.

Unfortunately, you never gave him the test results."

I'm about to ask Dana if she knows Travers, when Skinner's secretary answers the phone.

"This is Agent Mulder. I was wondering if a Detective Travers had a chance to call you."

"Agent Mulder," she sounds shocked. "Um, yes, I relayed the message to Assistant Director Skinner and he was very concerned. He asked that I call the police department and verify that there was indeed a Detective Travers working there."

I laugh, good-naturedly. "I trust you found everything to be in order."

"Yes, we did. Agent Mulder, where are you and Agent Scully now?

"We're back in DC. The lead turned out to be a bust. We're heading over to the safe house to check on our witness."

"I see. Would you like me to inform the AD?"

"Please. I take it he's not available."

"He's in a meeting."

I roll my eyes. The man is always in a fucking meeting. No wonder he never knows what the hell's going on.

"Okay, we need to get over there."

"Of course. I'll tell the AD you called, Agent Mulder."

I end the call and look at Alex. "Was that okay?"

"That was just fine, Fox." He leans in to kiss me, his hand caressing my face gently as he softly sucks on my lower lip, pulling away just as I'm about to kiss him back. "I think Dana has something to tell you."

Frowning, I look at her. "What is it, Scully?"

"I know who Detective Travers is. He's the man who helped me when Mr. Turner ID'd Krycek." She looks at her hands and shakes her head. "I guess there's no need to worry about any of the statements being recorded, is there?"

Alex smiles gleefully. "Nope."

"Alex, why didn't you tell me about him?" I don't mean to sound whiny, but I know I have when Alex flashes me an impatient look.

"You didn't need to know. Besides, everything's fine now." He stands up, again, and reaches into his front pants pocket. Pulling out a pill bottle, he opens it and hands me two white pills. "Make sure she takes these.

They'll calm her down for the trip to see Mr. Turner."

"I don't need any pills, Krycek. I won't give you any trouble." She sounds resigned, and I wonder if she's not telling the truth.

"I'd rather not take any chances. You may be injured, but I know you're not the type to give up without a fight."

I pick up Scully's empty glass and go into the kitchen to refill it.

Alex walks in behind me and I feel his arms move around my waist, holding me to him. The warmth of his body soothes me, and I know I'm safe. He begins to move his head, rubbing his face against my shoulder, the repetitious motion comforting in its familiarity. I'm content to stay in his embrace, wishing I could freeze this moment in time.

"Fox, are you angry?" He sounds so quiet and vulnerable. It's not a tone I'm used to hearing from him, and it takes a second for the question to register.

I turn around and place my hands on his shoulders. "Why would I be angry?"

He doesn't look me in the eye, instead staring at my mouth as if waiting for condemnation to slip from my lips.

"I've hurt your friend. I've fucked things up royally. Want me to keep going?"

I don't like the man I see in front of me. I don't want this unsure Alex to replace the bold, audacious creature I love. I grip his shoulders until my fingers are white, needing him to know exactly what I'm feeling. He has to snap out of whatever this is.

"Alex, she was going to kill you. If you hadn't shot her first, you would be dead right now. That's something I don't want to think about."

His eyes finally meet mine. "Fox, why do you love me?"

I frown. Where the hell is this sudden case of insecurity coming from?

He knows damn well how I feel about him, I've never made it a secret.

"Alex, what's wrong with you?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing. I just don't know why you're willing to put everything on the line for me."

"You know I love you. What other reason do you need?"

"Fox, I don't know why you're so different. I don't want to think that I've changed who you are."

I pause as I consider his statement. We've already talked about the fact that I'm more like him than either of us care to admit, so why is he so concerned about it now?

"Alex, I don't know why you're suddenly thinking about this, but I'm not doing anything I don't want to do."

He nuzzles my neck and begins to grind his crotch against mine. I feel him begin breathing rapidly and I know that he wants all of this to be over so he can fuck me.

"I love you so much, Fox. Don't regret what we're doing." I can barely hear the whispered words, but I know that it hurts him to say them to me.

"I would give up everything for you," I say softly, rubbing his hair as I hold his head against my shoulder. His body moving against mine is beginning to make me crazy and I want to take him into the bedroom. I glance up and am shocked to see Scully walking up behind Alex, his gun in her hand. I don't remember seeing him set it down, but he must have gotten careless and left it in the living room. Without a second thought, I push Alex out of the way in time to see her pull the trigger. The searing heat of the bullet as it rips into my stomach is fleeting and for a moment I wonder if I am really hit.

Then the pain begins and I feel warm liquid soaking my shirt. Looking down before I pass out, I'm amazed that there could be so much blood in me. I hear Alex scream my name, and the last thing I see is him running at Scully...

My first conscious thought is that I'm incredibly thirsty. The next is that I feel as if someone has moved into my gut and started redecorating. I want to ask for something to drink and to dull the pain, but only a croak escapes my throat. I hear the sound of a chair sliding across the floor and falling over.

"Fox? Fox?" It's Alex's voice, and he sounds frantic. I force my eyes open.

"Oh god, Fox..." His face is contorted and I realize he's crying and laughing at the same time. He touches my face and kisses me softly, his tears dropping onto my cheek. When he pulls back, I notice that he has large circles under his eyes.

"You look terrible." It's a struggle to speak, but I want to let him know that I'm all right.

He laughs. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. How do you feel, darling?"

The endearment surprises me, and for a moment I don't know how to respond to him. I swallow hard and my parched throat reminds me that I really want some water.

"Thirsty..."

He takes a plastic cup from the table next to my bed and places it to my lips. Raising my head gently, he tips the cup, and I feel cool, delicious water trickle into my mouth. I lay back down and squeeze my eyes shut against the pain in my abdomen.

"Where's Scully?"

It's not meant to be a concerned inquiry, but for a moment I think that's the way it's perceived. I only ask because I want to know what Alex did to her after she shot me.

"I'll tell you later."

For some reason, the events that led to this point haven't been in the front of my mind. Now, as I regain my bearings, a wave of panic washes over me.

"Alex, the case...the evidence..."

"Shh..." He places a comforting hand on my arm, calming me down. "It's all right, babe. I know some people. Remember my friend Detective Travers?"

I nod, looking at the plastic cup. He picks up my signal and gives me another drink. Ensuring I'm satisfied, he continues.

"He took care of Mr. Turner."

My eyes open in shock. "He killed him?"

Alex shakes his head. "No, he just convinced him that it wasn't me he saw kill that guy. You know, the police are really good at getting the testimony they want."

"But what about the DNA report?"

"I convinced Scully to destroy it. I have a feeling she won't be talking about it anytime soon."

"You didn't..." I want to know what happened to her, but I'm afraid to find out what he did.

"I didn't kill her. I simply made her understand things my way, and told her if she ever opens her mouth, I'll make her understand even more. She's in a room on another floor."

I make a note to ask him what he did to make her cooperate, but for now I only want to look at him, reveling in the fact that he loves me enough to stay here and risk being found out.

"Alex, you should go. It's not safe for you to be here."

"No." His voice is vehement. "I can stay here as long as it takes. I need to be with you."

"If Skinner comes..."

"He already came. The official story is that when you and Scully returned from looking for your suspect, you were both surprised at your apartment by an unknown assailant." He grins. "I got rid of my gun, by the way. I loved that damn gun."

"There are too many loose ends. They'll find out something.

"No they won't. I won't let them. In the meantime, I don't think you should think about it. I want you to get well, and I'm going to stay by your side until you do."

He kisses me again, longer this time, and I want to respond to him, but the sudden flash of pain I feel makes me cry out.

"Shit, Fox, let me get the nurse, okay?"

Before I can tell him I'll be fine, he's gone to get someone. Soon, a fresh-faced young nurse comes in the room and injects something into my IV tube.

"This should help with the pain, Agent Mulder. Is there anything else I can get you?"

"No, thank you. How long do you think I'll be in here?"

"I'll ask the doctor to come see you."

"Thank you."

She leaves and I look at Alex. He's watching me with such an expression of love on his face, I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating. I can't think of a time that I've seen him look at me so tenderly.

"Are you okay, Alex?"

"I'm better than okay." He sits on the edge of the bed, being careful not to jar me too much. "I thought I was going to lose you. Luckily, Scully missed anything vital. I don't know what I would have done if she'd...well, I know what I would have done, but it didn't come to that."

I take his hand. "It takes more than this to keep me down, you know."

"Yeah, well, it did enough damage for me." He squeezes my hand. "I have to thank you for saving my life."

"No, you don't. If she had shot you, it would have killed me. I couldn't let that happen."

I want to say more to him, to let him know that I can't live without him. As the pain medication begins to kick in, I feel myself getting sleepy.

Alex notices and stands up.

"I want you to get some sleep. I'll go get some coffee and come right back.

I'll be here when you wake up."

I smile weakly and feel my eyes begin to close. "I love you."

He kisses my cheek, the stubble on his face lightly grazing my skin.

"Not as much as I love you. Sleep well, Fox."

Before I can say anything else, I feel myself drift into a peaceful, dreamless sleep. My unanswered questions will have to wait.

xx

meiknarf@earthlink.net

Disclaimer: Hey, Chris. You look great! Have you lost weight? Or maybe you've done something with your hair...Okay, so ass kissing will never make them mine. Damn.
Rating/Pairing: NC-17 for m/m sex. M/K
Spoilers: None.
Series: Lying
Archive: Yes
Summary: Krycek and Mulder have to deal with the consequences of their actions... or do they?
Notes: WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! This is the sequel to an alternate part I wrote for my Lying series (Cruel Inventions). It features Psycho!Mulder and some of you may be uncomfortable seeing him portrayed this way. I urge you to heed my warning if the idea of Mulder being a total loon squicks you in any way. It might help to read "Cruel Inventions", but this can probably stand alone. CI can be found here: https://www.squidge.org/terma/frankie/lying3c.htm
Also, I go to the XF school of medicine. Enough said.
Thanks: Lucy and Sue for righteous beta. Ori and Sarah for giving it a looksee and being so encouraging. Gracias ladies!
Feedback: If you find a second to drop me a line, it would be most appreciated.
meiknarf@earthlink.net

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]