Moods VII

Temporary
by Fleur


As usual, nothing lasts forever.

A self promise from and to Alex Krycek is no exception to this. Every time after I wake up with a pounding head, and zero or little memory of the previous night, I swear off the vodka, of course. This has never lasted longer than two days.

Which is why I'm currently seated on the floor, back up against the side of the bed, watching the diminishing level of liquid in my bottle of Stoli. I don't know how long it's been—well, I do, two-and-a-half bottles—but I've been drinking for a while now. Since I got back home from venturing out this morning.

I only went out in order to stock up, which is the usual reason, I suppose. There were so many crowds, and I wandered aimlessly, eventually giving up and coming home again. I hate attention.

It may sound strange, but I really do. I can't stand it. Good attention is all right, I suppose... but usually it's not good, you can see the mocking faces, laughing inwardly at you.

Maybe I'm drunk. Again. Wouldn't be surprising. I'd say the majority of my alcohol consumption takes place at this time of the year, Christmas and immediately afterwards. I don't know where I get the money for it. I just find money in various places, around... in banks, in wallets that don't usually belong to me..

Okay, so I don't go in for petty theft unless I'm really desperate. However, such a statement suggests that it happens often. I suppose it does. I don't like doing it... but hell, I often do things I don't like, or don't go in for... I don't have a choice.

I lie down, head on my leather jacket, looking across the floor. Those blood stains are getting damn annoying. Some would say that they add character to my apartment... I have enough character of my own, thank you very much. I don't need dried blood to add to this mess.

My mother would probably have hated my apartment. From what I was told about her, she had a keen aesthetic sense. I suppose it's where I get it from... not from my goddamn father, that's for sure. She would have come by, packed my bags and probably taken me back to Russia. I smile a little at the thought.

On a whim, I get up and go over to the one table in the place, where I have the one photo I've ever kept. It's of my mother and I—as a very small child—and she looks seriously beautiful. It may sound conceited, but as I pick it up, I realise that we share a lot of the same features. Eyes, nose, mouth shape, hair colour... unsurprising, I must be practically a clone of her, I look nothing whatsoever like my father did.

Suddenly getting an idea, I gently tuck the photograph inside the pocket of my sweats, and pick my leather jacket off the floor.

Screw Mulder. If he hasn't found my address by now, he's not going to. Screw him.

I look around at the apartment again, wondering why the hell I ever decided to live here. It sucks, I hate it, I've never liked it, it's not even cheap...

But, oddly enough, it carries with it a lot of emotional baggage. I've lived in this apartment, although on a very irregular basis, for three years.

I used to lie on the bed, when I was a Good Little Agent of the FBI, and think about Mulder, loosen my belt, slip my hand inside, and work myself. That lower lip, his wit, everything... his eyes, the way he looked at me...

After I left the Bureau, the apartment became a place to come and lick my wounds. Every time something went wrong, I'd come back here and think about it, berate myself, get drunk over it...

The only time I didn't come here after a major blow was after Russia, with Mulder. That set me back too far; I went home.

Pretty loosely used word, in this case. My father didn't recognise me; I got a vodka bottle hurled at my head, and several curses directed at me. So I crawled away, found a hospital, did everything following up that was required, and made my way back to America.

I suppose some of the bloodstains are probably mine.

This place doesn't even have a television. Hell, I don't need one that bad. Knowing my luck, if I got one, they'd probably be having a marathon of "The Fugitive". Luck doesn't exactly smile upon me.

I walk over to the 'kitchen'—the size of a closet, individualised only by lino and a small stovetop which I could probably fit two vodka bottles on—and look around. Nothing of any value.

I step back out into the main room. There's nothing. Screw Mulder.

Completely clear in my mind, I pick up the box of matches which rests on my bed, strike one, and light the bed. If he does come, he'll be in for a surprise.

I leave, shutting the door behind me, closing a chapter in my life I'd prefer to forget.

22/12/98

xx

Moods VIII

angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]