Go to notes and disclaimers


Dirty Dancing
by Fleur


"So," Maxwell began, sitting on the edge of Alex's desk. He ignored her, looking down at his work. When she was nice, as she had been all that day, he got suspicious, and therefore had to avoid her. "Are you taking me to the ball tonight?" "No," Alex replied shortly. He turned over another leaf of paper, examining the next.

"Why not?" Maxwell shot back, a whiny tone creeping into her voice. "Mulder's taking Scully!"

"I'm not Mulder."

"That's for damn sure." She jumped down to the floor, and went over to her own desk, sitting down in the chair behind it. "Why the hell won't you take me?"

"I'm not going." Alex finally looked at her, noting that she was gradually looking more and more pissed at him. Aha, he knew the Maxwell he was used to was in there somewhere... her nice mood couldn't last.

"And why not?"

"I don't want to get into it," he half-mumbled in reply.

Maxwell reached over the gap separating the two desks, and turned his face towards her. "Get into it. Now."

"Well, someone has to be there to look after Jordan..." he paused, looking at her expression, which clearly read, 'Weak, Alex. Real Weak.' "You know, 'cause Frank will be..."

"Ever heard of a babysitter, Alex? Hell, her grandparents aren't exactly in another country."

"I'm not going," Alex reminded her, turning back to his papers. "There's no chance of convincing me, so you can stop." A sigh came from her side of the room. "Just tell me why, okay?"

"Tell me why, I don't like Mondays.."

She cringed at his off-tune singing. "Come on, Alex. What is it?"

"You mean apart from all the narrow-minded homophobes who roam the FBI in the search of poor little things like me?" Maxwell snorted in reply, then changed her expression when she saw that he was perfectly serious.

She sighed again. "Yeah, apart from that."

"I'm not embarrassing myself over the fact I can't dance to save my life, due to the fact I have, oh, zero sense of balance."

Both of them were silent for a while, Alex ignoring her, instead focusing on his work, and she searched for something intelligent to say. Eventually, she opted to say nothing, and swiftly packed her things up. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah." He didn't say anything further, staring at the papers in front of him. Maxwell watched for a while, then left the office.

xx

"Anyone home?" Alex called as he walked in the front door. There was no answer, and he sighed. Frank was obviously consulting on a case, and Jordan was probably at a friend's house. He went through to the kitchen, pressing 'play' on the answering machine on his way. Only one message, from Jordan. "Hi Daddy, hi Alex... I'm at Candice's house. You can come and pick me up any time, okay? Bye." Alex sighed. That was surely expected of him. He knew where Candice lived; he'd taken Jordan there often enough. He dropped the rest of his work gear, and picked his car keys up again.

xx

"Hey," he greeted Candice's mother, with his usual charming smile. "Is my sister around somewhere?" The woman smiled a little back at him, and nodded.

As if on cue, Jordan came running out. "Alex!" He broke into a grin and bent down to pick the little girl up.

"Hey, Jord. How are you?" He gave an acknowledging nod to the woman in the doorway, and walked back down the path.

"Good! How are you?"

"Fine. I'm going to stay with you tonight, okay?" He put her down, and she ran around to her side of the car.

"Why aren't you going to the dance?" Alex got into the car, and reached over to unlock Jordan's door.

"Because I'd rather spend a night with my little sister, that's why." She beamed up at him, putting her seatbelt on.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really." Alex started the car and backed it out of the driveway, then heading off down the road again. His car was an automatic, unlike Frank's—basically because it was a lot easier to drive. After a while, he glanced over at Jordan. "How was school?"

"It was great," she began, then went off in detail about her day at school. He listened for a while, making comments where appropriate, then tuned out in favour of concentrating on the road. Soon enough, they reached the house, and Jordan immediately sprinted inside. Alex followed at a more sedate pace, settling down on the couch, while his sister made straight for the kitchen. He turned the television on, mindlessly surfing the channels. "Hey, kick ass, South Park," he murmured, settling back to watch. After a minute, Jordan came back in, and looked at what was on the television.

"Oh, no! No, Alex, I don't want to watch this."

"Tough luck, I'm watching it."

"But I hate it!"

"Jordan," he began, mock-seriously, "No one can hate this program."

"I do!"

"No, you don't." Jordan sighed exaggeratedly, and sat down deliberately with her back to the television, eating the small meal she'd prepared. He watched her for a while, then reached over to steal a biscuit. "Hey!" she yelped, smacking his hand. "You're not allowed any."

"And what are you going to do about it?" he asked, grinning at her. She moved another foot away from him, and he sighed. "That's cheating, Jordan."

"And what are you going to do about it?" Jordan shot back. Alex had to laugh, and the phone rang. He got up and answered it. "Yeah?"

"Alex, it's Frank."

"Oh, hi..." Alex paused for a minute, turning back towards the lounge, then yelled, "Don't you DARE touch that remote!" He turned back to the phone. "What's up?"

"Just calling to say I'm not coming home before tonight. There's still a bit of wrapping up to do here, and I've got clothes in the Jeep. Can you organise for Jordan to go somewhere tonight?"

"There's no need, I'm staying home." There was a pause. "You there?"

"Why are you staying home?" Alex shrugged, not caring that even Frank couldn't see shrugs over the phone line.

"I just am."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll see you later. Bye." Alex hung the phone up, then went back through to the lounge. Predictably enough, Jordan had changed the channel, to some cartoon show she was watching. He slumped down on the couch and looked at her. "Didn't I say not to change the channel?"

"No, you said not to touch the remote. I didn't. I changed it at the television." Jordan gave her brother an innocent smile. He shook his head.

"Jordan, you're nuts."

"I know. But so are you." Alex sighed. It was going to be a long night.

xx

Frank turned around at the sound of his name being called. Mulder. "Hey, Frank, where's Alex?"

"At home," he replied. "He didn't come tonight."

Mulder's face fell slightly. "Why not?"

"I don't know, I haven't seen him." Personally, Frank was wondering why Alex hadn't come. Admittedly, he was generally cautious about being seen in public, especially with Mulder, but it wasn't like him to miss this sort of thing.

"Maybe Maxwell knows," Mulder wondered aloud. With an acknowledging nod to Frank, he left, in search of his partner—who would surely know where Alex's partner was. It wasn't long before he saw the former. "Hey, Scully!"

The distinctive redhead looked over to him. "Mulder!" He made his way through to where Scully was standing.

"Hey, have you seen Maxwell?"

"She's wandering. Black dress. You'll find her. Why?"

"Alex isn't here. I figure she'll know why." He looked over the heads of the crowd. He couldn't see her instantly, but it was worth wandering.

xx

"Jordan," Alex warned, wielding the watergun like a pistol, "I swear to you, you're not going to make it back to the house." The two were playing an adapted version of hide and seek. Jordan was hiding, and the aim was for her to make it back to the lounge before Alex got her with the watergun - which was filled with red dye. She had apparently decided to hide out until he got frustrated. He slowly walked around to the side of the swimming pool closest to the bushes, peering into them. "You've got to come out sometime." He turned back to looking at the house, across the pool. "Come on. I'll give you a chance!" He was about to circumnavigate the yard again, when he was shoved from behind. Turning before he lost his balance and tumbled into the pool, Alex caught a glimpse of Jordan dissolving into giggles. Completely soaked, and under the water, he grinned. And held his breath.

Jordan watched, slowly controlling her giggling, as Alex stayed under the water. Slowly, it dawned on her that he wasn't coming up to take a breath. "Alex!" Jordan knelt down next to the pool, watching her older brother. "Alex!" No response, and she jumped in, despite the depth of the pool at that part was several feet over her head. Jordan swam over to Alex, and grabbed him.

Alex instantly spun around to face her, giving her a fright, and causing her to scream. He grinned, and she splashed him. "I thought you were dead, Alex!"

Alex cried, in falsetto, "Oh, my God! You killed Alex! You bastard!" He then emptied the contents of the watergun over the little girl's head. "Yeah. Right." Jordan tackled him around the neck, clinging on. He fell backwards, shoving her underwater. By the time the two came up again, she was spluttering. Alex laughed. "Inside?" Coughing the slightly pink-tinged water out, Jordan nodded. The two went inside.

xx

Spying the dark haired woman, Mulder made his way through the crowd to Alex's partner. "Maxwell!"

Maxwell spun around, searching for who had called her name. She saw Mulder, and smiled a little. "Hi, Mulder."

"Listen, do you know why Alex didn't come tonight? Is he all right?" She looked thoughtful for a minute.

"He's kinda sensitive about it. I think it's to do with his arm... he mentioned that he wasn't going to be embarrassed about having no sense of balance."

Mulder stared blankly ahead. "Jeez. I've got to go." He made his way to the door, saying goodbye to Scully on the way.

xx

"Listen, you," Alex began, holding a soft toy in his hand, "Lots of people, including me, would be quite happy to sleep with Cartman. What's your problem?"

"I don't want to have a South Park doll in my bed. I don't like South Park." Comically, Alex shook his head. "You're one messed up kid, Jordan. Guess you take after me, huh?" Jordan giggled, flopping back on the pillows. One hand clutched her red-haired doll tightly, the other was flung above her head. Alex tossed her the Cartman toy, and went over to the light switch. "Night, short stuff."

"Night, you dirty rat." Alex still didn't know where she'd picked that up from, but Jordan certainly sounded tired. He flicked the light off, and left the room. Fun as the night had been, Alex wasn't happy. He should have been out with Mulder and the other agents, but instead he'd spent the night at home goofing off with his baby sister. He slumped down on the couch, and turned the television on. Thoughtful of Mulder to phone. Alex wondered if his lover had even noticed his absence. After a while of mindlessly watching 'The Fugitive' (Alex wondered if everything was conspiring against him), there was a knock at the door. He got up to answer it. "Mulder!" The other man smiled a little, and handed Alex a rose. The younger man took it, not knowing what to say. "Why aren't you..."

"Like I'm going to enjoy it with you at home by yourself."

"Hey, I had Jordan..." Alex avoided Mulder's eyes, and trailed off. He went through to the kitchen to put the rose in a vase of water. By the time he came back, Mulder was in the lounge, rifling through the CD collection.

"'Chef Aid', hmm?"

Alex smiled a little, wondering what the other man was doing. "Yeah."

Apparently finding the CD he was looking for, Mulder turned the stereo on, and placed it in the player. Then he came back over to Alex. "Babe, why didn't you go tonight?"

"I..." Alex trailed off. "Aw, hell, you don't care."

Mulder took him in his arms. "Don't be stupid. Maxwell told me what you said."

"Yeah?" He sounded disinterested. "Oh."

The music came on. "Hey, we can dance here, can't we?"

"I c..."

Mulder supported the younger man with both hands. "Look, put your arm around my neck. Hold." Alex did as instructed, and the two slowly began dancing. Blushing furiously, Alex swore.

"This is stupid."

"Hey." Mulder's hand crept down to squeeze his lover's ass. "No, it's not. I wouldn't be here if it was stupid." The two began dancing more skillfully, in perfect time. Whenever Alex swayed a little, stumbled, Mulder just supported him more. After several minutes, the music stopped, and the two melted into a kiss. There was the sound of quiet applause, and both men looked towards the door.

"Aw, hell," Alex said, turning his head away. Neither man had heard Frank come in.

"Nicely danced," Frank observed. He stepped up to the two of them. "Mind if I cut in?"

"Go ahead," Mulder replied, grinning. Alex shot him a panicked look, then gave up, letting Frank hold him in order to give the support. The two danced, and Alex noted inwardly that he was getting better, albeit awkwardly. The music ended, and they both dropped their hands.

Alex smiled. "Don't expect a kiss." All three chuckled, and Frank smiled at Alex.

"You're not that bad, Alex."

"Thanks." He moved over to Mulder, allowing himself to be hugged. Alex looked up at his lover. "Bed?"

"Okay," Mulder replied instantly. The two left, going upstairs. Frank went over to the stereo, ejecting the CD. It was one of Alex's... he was wondering what song they'd just danced to. Murmuring, Frank read out loud, "Chef Aid: Chocolate Salty Balls?" He shrugged, set the disc down, and went off to his room.

The End

xx

angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

17/2/99
Rating: G. G for grin.
Summary: It's the FBI ball... but Alex isn't going.
Disclaimer: I don't think they even want to be mine any longer.
Notes: No beta, because this is silly. In my MM/XF universe, Alex is the FBI agent, you know the drill... did I mention Maxwell's his partner?
Feedback: angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]