Go to notes and disclaimers


DC Confidential
by Demi-X

Book One
Part I


ALONE
By Edgar Allan Poe, 1830.

From childhood's hour I have not been
As other were; I have not seen
As other saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then—in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life—was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.


"Scully." Sighed Mulder loudly from across his desk.

Scully turned her head to the side and looked at her partner. "What." She said, her tone on the edge of irritation.

"I'm going to lunch. You coming?" He asked sitting up in his chair properly.

"No. And you're not going either. My informant should be phoning in any minute now." She dropped her pencil on her desk top and looked at him hard.

Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully were partners in the Serial crimes unit of the F.B.I. They had been working together for the past two years and were the units best pair of agents, with an absolution rate of about eighty percent. Their desks in the bull pen, comprised of ten or five pairs, sat head to head. The serial crimes unit took all cases that were serial in nature. From murder to arson, it didn't matter, if it was the same person more than once, the unit handled the case.

At the moment, Dana Scully was waiting for a tip from a semi-reliable junkie informant. However he was hours past due from his promised call.

"Listen." Mulder said, his stomach was grumbling and he was fed up with the waiting. "Buck-tooth Benny is not going to call. And I need to eat, it's two thirty already."

Scully frowned, "It's Benny chip-teeth Mulder, and you can bring me a turkey on whole wheat, no mayo no butter back from the cafeteria."

"Buck-tooth, Chip-teeth, whatever...He's not going to phone Scully. He probably mugged an old lady, and is fix'in right now.

"I still can't leave the phone."

Mulder shrugged his shoulders. "Okay. I'll be about a half an hour." He stood up and smiled at his partner, then walked away.

xx

Mulder paid for his soup and sandwich, then stood in the centre of the cafeteria and searched for a table to sit at. Despite the late hour the cafeteria was full. Unlike many businesses, the J.E.H Building was open for business 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. He scanned the spacious room, then rested his eyes on a trio of men sitting at a round table meant for four people. He recognized the older men sitting there.

Jack Parsons. He was the senior agent in the profiling division.

Mulder's gaze shifted over to the younger man sitting to Jack's left, and for a second, he stopped breathing and just stood still, staring at the man. He was a new agent or so Mulder thought because he didn't recognize him and certainly would have remembered seeing him before.

The young agent had deep sable brown hair that was cut fashionably short and looked to be in his late twenties or early thirties. The unfamiliar man was the most beautiful person he had ever laid eyes on. Mulder continued to stare at the agent, who had broken out into a smile at something the third agent with them at the table had said. Visible from the short distance, Mulder noted that the younger agent's teeth were square, even and bright white.

Then suddenly, as if aware of the scrutiny he was under, the smiling young agent looked up from a veil of thick black lashes and stared directly at Mulder. He stopped smiling for just an instant and in that split second of seriousness, a spark of immediate and recognizable attraction passed between them.

The young agent blinked his startling green eyes owl-like at the staring Mulder, then he smiled and turned his attention back to Jack and responded to a question pressed to him; breaking the spell.

Jack Parsons looked in the direction that agent Krycek had been. "Hey Mulder." He called out, then waved him over.

Mulder smiled and nodded in acknowledgment and started for the trio. Pleased at the turn of events; from a quick and lonely lunch to one with an old friend he hadn't seen in awhile.

xx

Alex grinned at Jack's bad, red neck joke. He felt the small hairs on the back of his neck rise, warning him he was being watched. He looked up, straight into the eyes of an agent who was staring at him intensely. And for a micro second, he eyed the agent back and was mesmerized by his aura.

But mostly by his plain good looks.

And as the agent watched him back, the telepathic information exchanged between the two told Alex instantly that the handsome, slightly older agent was interested...in him. It was all there for him to see in his eyes.

Luckily Jack invited Mulder to join them.

xx

Fox stepped up to the seasoned agent, "Hey Jack." He greeted.

"Mulder. Care to join us?" Jack asked.

"Sure." Mulder looked around the room, he didn't want to seem to eager, then he took the seat next to Jack, sitting across from the younger agent that had caught his eye.

"Fox Mulder, serial crimes, Alex Krycek, profiling's newest genius." As Jack introduced the two, he gestured to each man as he said their name.

Alex reached out and shook Mulder's hand, gripping it tightly. He smiled and said lightly, "Well I wouldn't exactly say, 'genius'."

"Still, I'd put that in your resume. Jack doesn't give out compliments very often." Replied Mulder, meeting Alex's effervescent smile with one of his own.

"So I've noticed." Said Alex.

Both men shook and held hands just longer than what could be considered decent and drew them away slowly. No one else a the table noticed however.

Mulder noticed right away that Alex was not wearing a wedding ring. His stomach danced full of butterflies and the attraction he felt for the young agent was very real. He was sure that Alex was attracted to him also.

The fact that he already had a lover did not enter into his mind.

The truth was, Mulder never once gave a second thought for Walter Skinner, AD. in charge of compliment of everyday investigative agents.

Fortunately, Skinner was neither Alex's nor Mulder's boss.

It had been a very long time since Mulder had felt such a strong, immediate attraction to someone. Even when he had met Skinner, Mulder's body had not reacted in such a way.

He did not yet know Alex Krycek; but he knew he wanted to get to know him.

Darnel Washington, the other man at the table had been on his cell phone when Mulder sat down, Jack introduced the two agents, but Washington still talking, simply waved and smiled, Mulder did the same.

Washington hung up his phone, but before he say a word to Mulder, it rang again. "Shit." He mumbled "Washington...."

Jack turned to Alex and said, "Would you mind getting me a coffee Alex?"

"What?" Alex looked at the senior agent and raised his eyebrows in silentquestioning.

"Humor me." Jack Shrugged. "You're 20 years younger than me. I like my coffee..."

"I Know....black" Alex said as he stood up, "Agent Mulder, would you like something seeing as how I'm already going."

"Sure, just a bottled water please." He went for his wallet but Alex stopped him.

"No that's okay. My treat." He said. Turning to the other man at the table, who was still on the phone, Alex asked, "Darnel?"

Agent Washington acknowledged Alex by shaking his head 'no' and kept on talking.

Mulder watched Alex as he strolled casually over to the beverage bar.

"Listen Mulder. I called you over here for a reason."

Tearing his gaze away from Alex's rear end, Mulder turned to his old friend and said, "I thought so. What's up?"

"It's about the kid."

"The kid? How old is he?" Mulder saw the look on Parsons face and then said seriously, "What about him." Mulder flicked his gaze back to Alex, who was trying to decide on a brand of water for him.

"He's 28 if you must know. Just a kid in my opinion. But he's been with profiling for six months now. Alex's insight on the cases he's helped with has been invaluable. He's ready to go solo."

"Okay. Why tell me?" Asked Mulder his curiosity piqued.

"Well you know what it's like to be the new kid on the block. No one wants to work with you unless you have a reputation, but you can't get a reputation unless you work with a few agents...same old story. I wanted to ask you to uhm..." The older agent started to waffle.

"Spill it Jack..." Mulder looked back at Alex and watched as the twenty-something female cashier flirted shamelessly with him while he paid for the drinks. Alex smiled and thanked her, but Mulder could tell that the agent was totally oblivious to the girl. Good he thought.

Jack watched Alex approach as he spoke. "I want you to ask for Alex the next time you need a profile worked up."

"Okay." Mulder said casually. Thinking that the scenario couldn't have played out any better.

Jack clapped Mulder on the shoulder. "You're an okay guy Mulder. No matter what everyone else around here says."

"What's that supposed to..." Started Mulder.

"Here's your coffee..." Alex said, interrupting the banter. He put the tray on the table.

"Leave it, Jack." Agent Washington cut in pocketing his cell phone. "That was the office, our fax is in and the States Attorney wants us in her office pronto."

Jack stood up and with a shrug of his large shoulders he said affibly, "See you back at the office." Then with a wink to Mulder, which Alex did not see, he walked out with Washington.

"See you later." Alex said. He still had his whole lunch to eat yet as did Mulder. Picking up his sandwich, he took a bite.

Over the course of the next 45 minutes the two agents chatted. Small talk under normal circumstances, but in this case it was more like getting to know you talk.

Alex smiled often and blinked his eyes unconsciously displaying one of his best features. Natures way of attracting a mate. He even blushed a few times and ran his fingers through his short cropped hair.

And Mulder, sitting across the table ate up the younger agents displays with a spoon. He even put a few signals out of his own. Like drinking from his water bottle and running the tip of his finger around the rim of the opening suggestively and moistening his lips with the tip of his tongue.

Time passed quickly and the conversation took a natural drift from work to more intimate issues. First they discussed alien life and Mulder was very pleased that Alex believed in their existence.

Though Krycek wasn't sure if he bought the hype about them visiting the planet. He leaned toward the very politically correct, "If we're here, why can't something be out there..." stance.

Mulder told Alex of his belief in the extraterrestrials leaving out he thought his sister had been abducted by them; never to be returned to the family.

The merits of having a partner as opposed to working alone came up. Which both men had pro's and cons for each scenario. It was at that point that Mulder asked Alex to look at a cold case. "I've got a case, maybe you can help with. It's been a real difficult one for me... it's been cold for three years then all of a sudden another body shows up."

Alex sat up taller in his chair. "You know, I've not worked a case alone yet." He admitted.

"I know. Jack said. But he says your ready to. Are you up for it?" Mulder said.

"Yeah...I am. Great, you'll be my very first." Alex couldn't believe he'd just said that. His cheeks flamed hot.

Mulder laughed, he really liked Alex. "Now that...I'd like." He grinned and then took a sip of his water. "Anyway, business before pleasure." Mulder said with a raised eyebrow. "I'll put the file together for you. There's a profile in there already but it's ...." Mulder hesitated, the agent who had worked the profile up was still on the job, though in a limited capacity. "...Er...I'd like a second opinion on it." He finished diplomatically.

"Great. Send it over whenever your done." Alex said, trying to will away the pink colour still staining his cheek bones. He couldn't help it, he found Mulder very attractive, causing him to blush at every turn.

"Okay." Mulder paused for a second then working up his courage he asked, "Alex, can I ask you a personal question?"

"Sure." Alex's heart began to pound faster.

"Are you seeing anyone right now?" Mulder sincerely hoped not.

"No. I'm unattached. You?" Alex was encouraged by the pleased look that had crossed Mulder face upon hearing that he was single.

Mulder knew he had to tread lightly now. He didn't want to scare Alex off but all the same, he had a right to know the truth.

"Sorta." He said finally.

Alex raised a single eyebrow, he tried not to show his disappointment. "How Sorta?" He asked.

Swallowing, Mulder said, "I've been with someone for two years now, we live together."

Crushed Alex said, "Living together is a little more serious than 'Sorta'."

Mulder leaned forward, "Listen Alex, just so we're on the same page here. I like you... a lot." He was relieved when Alex nodded back.

Okay, he thought so we're both gay then...not an easy thing to discuss with an another agent.

"I think you're attracted to me too."

"Yes... but..."

Mulder cut Alex off before the younger man could think things over thoroughly.

"But he and I aren't getting along so great these days. I... honestly Alex, I'd really like to get to know you better. This may sound cold hearted but right now my live-in lover is the last person I want to think about. It's a complicated relationship." Mulder chewed on his bottom lip for a second, " Why don't we meet for a drink tonight and I'll bring the file with me. We can discuss it then,... maybe over dinner even?"

Alex studied Mulder for a second. Here was an attractive man who knew how difficult the job could be, asking him out. It had been a long time since he'd been on a date and even longer since he had been laid. What the hell, if Mulder wasn't concerned about his lover, why should he be? Alex was tired of always doing the right thing all the time and sick of not getting what he wanted out of life. It was time to start changing all that. He wanted Mulder; Mulder wanted him, so where was the problem.

Let Fox deal with his lover in his own way.

The file though legit, was a perfect cover for going out to dinner with another. Fine, if the relationship wasn't working then all the more better for him.

Alex thought, All's fair in love and war.

He gave Mulder an alluring smile and said, "Okay, a working dinner."

The way Alex said it, with a low voice, suggested to Mulder that there could more than just work involved.

"Great." Relieved that the younger agent had agreed, Mulder was happy that Alex apparently was not going to take his lover's feelings into account after all. "How about 7:00 tonight at the 'Evidence Room'."

The Evidence Room was a pub with great food that was only a couple of blocks from the J.E.H. building. And the perfect cover. Because they'd be in plain sight, working on the cold case. Just two agents having a business dinner. Mulder and Scully had done it many times the only difference this time was that he wasn't trying to get into her pants over the hot wings and potato skins.

"It's a date then." Alex said.

xx

From across the room April—the cashier who had flirted with Alex—watched as Mulder and Alex talked animatedly to each other.

She was jealous of Mulder and of the fact that in such a short amount of time of just meeting, he had managed to get the handsome agent laughing and even blushing. She really liked the green eyed man, in fact, she loved him.

But no matter what she did, he never seemed to notice her.

Low cut blouses didn't help, neither did her usual tight-tight T-shirts. April knew that she and her body were beautiful, many male agents had asked her out, and most of them she did date and screw, but the second that she had set her eyes upon the gorgeous agent Krycek she denied all others her favors. Unfortunately, agent Krycek seemed pleasant, but indifferent to her attentions. She would not give up on Krycek however. And now, watching the two men eat lunch together she knew where she had gone wrong.

Agent Krycek liked men, moreover that cold, unsmiling agent Mulder who never left a tip in her jar at the register. April had noticed that Mulder was normally uncommunicative and distant, neither quality he displayed with her agent Alex.

The young woman was disappointed but not undaunted.

Sexual preference was only a state of mind.

All she need to do was find a way for Alex to notice her. Hard to do now that he was blinded by Fox Mulder.

xx

"AHEM." Scully cleared her throat, startling both Mulder and his lunch companion. "Mulder, " she said tightly, "You were supposed to bring me back a sandwich over an hour ago."

Alex looked over at Mulder and they both burst out laughing. Scully's comment was one cited as a con against having a partner.

She scowled at both men. "What's so funny?" She directed to Mulder.

"Nothing. Alex, this is my partner Dana Scully... Scully, Alex Krycek." He introduced the two agents, changing the subject quickly.

Alex held out his hand to shake but she ignored it and sat where Jack parsons had been.

"Benny phoned finally, we have to go." She said.

"I should get going too..." Alex pulled his hand away and stood up. "See you later." He said to Mulder then he grabbed his tray and left. As he walked to the door he wanted to turn around so bad for one last look at Mulder, just to see if the agent was watching him go. He was pretty sure that he was.

Mulder had asked him out that was enough;for now.

He took no notice at all of the young woman who was also watching him leave.

Mulder stared after Alex watching the agent's ass sway pleasantly until the young man put his suit coat on. He was totally unaware at all, that Scully had spoken to him. "What?" He asked, turning his attention back to his partner.

Scully frowned at Mulder knowing exactly what was on his mind. "I said, what's with the agent?"

"Alex? He's new to the profiling department. Jack says he's a genius, so I'm going to give him the Logan River case to look at. A fresh pair of eyes might be all it needs to close it."

Scully shrugged, any help they could get would be great. But judging by the way the two male agents heads were together in the conversation, and by the way Mulder had watched the agent walk away, she assumed that Mulder was interested in more than just agent Krycek's brilliant mind. "What's going on later?" She asked.

Mulder answered innocently, "Alex and I are going to have a working supper tonight at the ER to review the file..."

"Oh? What time should I join you?" She raised one rusty brow skeptically.

"What? I thought you had plans tonight." Mulder didn't want Scully there tonight.

"I don't think Walter would think of it as a working dinner if I wasn't present."

Suddenly, pissed off that Scully was thinking the worst of him— though she was correct in doing so— he said heatedly, "Look Scully, there's a serial killer out there, preying on children, all I'm trying to do is solve it. Agent Krycek wasn't available to review the case until tonight... besides he's a co-worker for Christ sakes! He's a profiler... I'm in the serial unit it's our fucking jobs to get together and solve crimes..."

"All right!" Scully said, interrupting Mulder's tirade.

"Well Jesus, you're starting to sound like Walter now. I've already got one jealous, suspicious person in my life, I don't need shit from my work partner too!"

Scully held up her hands, "Calm down Mulder. Point taken."

"Your welcome to join us you know." Mulder said, hoping all the while that she wouldn't. But he felt like he had to extend the invitation to prove that nothing us up, which of course there was. Both he and Alex knew that this was a date under the guise of work. He had told Scully a white lie when he said that Krycek wasn't free until the evening, but he didn't dwell on it.

"I can't." Scully said. "You know full well that I promised mom that I'd take her to the River dance performance."

Relieved, Mulder changed the subject and said, "Come on lets get going before Benny fixes again and forgets he knows the whereabouts of our suspect..."

xx

Dinner ordered, Alex took a sip of his beer and set the glass back down. He licked the foam from his lips as he flipped the beige folder Mulder had brought open. The men were at a table in the back of the pub, where the commandeered a large booth with good lighting. Alex tipped the waitress to leave them alone until their dinners were ready.

Mulder chose the table for several reasons, one of which was that the crime scene photo's were very disturbing, no civilian should ever have to see them. The contents of the file were confidential after all and still an active open case. Another reason was he just wanted to be alone with Alex or as alone as he could be in a pub full of FBI agents and yuppy DC professionals.

Hide in plain sight came to his mind.

Alex picked up and looked at the stack of 8x10 colour photo's. He studied each picture closely, one at a time. While he examined the photographs. Mulder talked, not flirting now, but all business.

"Six children three boys three girls ages from 7-9 years old. All kids were stolen from their backyards held for around three days then murdered and left along the banks of the Logan river. Near the lighted jogging paths.

Alex laid pictures of each child out so that they were sitting side by side three across, two rows up and down.

"Murdered how?" He asked, not looking up.

"Given an overdose of sleeping pills."

"Painless way to go." Murmured Alex. "Sexually assaulted?"

"NO! Thank god. All six kids were found still fully dressed, in their own clothing, all seemed to be well fed, almost looked after."

Alex was thoughtful, he studied the array of children. All of them, boys and girls alike, were simular in features and colouring. "Well, I'm going to want to read through everything carefully of course..." He looked up into Mulder's eyes."...give me at least until tomorrow afternoon to make a detailed report." He frowned for a second, "I have a few preliminary feelings about this case, but I want to go over the evidence and profile on my own."

Mulder knew that something was bothering the agent. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Well... I don't want to discount old Jim's profile, but... I..."

"Its just us Alex. I promise nothing you say goes beyond this table."

"All right. I think that Jim was wrong about the perp being a man. I really think you should be looking for a woman. And older woman... that's just a start... I'll give you more tomorrow."

"I knew it." Mulder stated firmly. When Alex gave him a questioning look he said, "Something about this case has bothered me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but now that you've said it, it makes sense."

"To be honest Fox," Alex said, "there's quite a few elements to this case that don't jibe. You say the last child was found two weeks ago and the victim before him three years?"

"Yep."

"Hmmm." Alex gathered up the photo's and tucked them face down into the folder. He put the rest of the papers in with the photos then just as he was locking the grisly file away the waitress brought their dinners and another pair of draft beers. "I'll go over it tonight. I don't want to commit to anything without reading it more."

Mulder and Alex thanked their server and settled into their food. During the meal they spoke about their lives a little bit more. Over coffee the mild flirtation had grown up into full blown sexual innuendo.

"What." Alex asked finally when Mulder kept grinning and staring at him.

"I was just thinking of a way to turn the case into another working dinner. Only I'd like to go some place a little more quieter than here."

"Oh that's easy. Why don't you come for dinner at my place? That way I'll have a few more hours to draw up some definite conclusions." Alex looked down into his cup then up again invitingly.

Mulder's cock jerked to life as he watched the captivating younger agent lick his lips suggestively.

"Great." Mulder said. "8:00 good for you?"

"8:00's fine." Alex took out a business card and wrote his home number and address on the back of it. "You like Italian?" He asked handing it over.

Mulder accepted the card and read the back of it then he flipped it over and read Alex's cell phone number. Committing all of the information instantly to his eidetic memory. He would destroy the card later on as he didn't want Skinner to find it when he went through his pockets. As the older man always did whenever he thought that Mulder wasn't looking.

Mulder was growing tired of Walter Skinner and their un-equal relationship.

The man was dangerous if not a little bit psycho. And Mulder was afraid of what Walter would do if he ever left him.

Walter would either kill himself, Mulder, or his new lover or maybe even all three of them. Mulder couldn't be sure. Lately, Walter had felt like an anchor around his neck. But after meeting Alex he felt rejuvenated, ready to face the world again.

"I guess I should go." Mulder said after glancing at his watch. It was already 11:00 at night. The hours passed by quickly and Fox didn't want to leave but he had to if he didn't want to arouse Walter's suspicions.

"Yeah..." Alex agreed. "I should get started on this." He gestured toward his briefcase.

Mulder dropped some bills on top of the table, Alex went for his wallet but Mulder stopped him. "No," He said, "...dinner's on me."

"Come on." Offered Alex with a smile, "I'll walk you to your car."

"How about I walk you to your car?" Mulder countered.

xx

In the dark parking lot, Alex unlocked his car and opened the door, but he did not get in. He turned around instead and was nestled between the open door and the car's frame.

Mulder loomed in close feeling the full moon and the night air intensely. Alex combined with the freshness of the brisk evening was a heady mix. He stepped in closer so that his body touched Alex's.

Chest to chest, excited groin to excited groin.

Feeling more control than he ever had before, and bursting with anticipation, Mulder kissed Alex softly on his lips.

Alex shut his lids slowly and received the chaste kiss. Before the kiss, Alex was feeling nervous, and even a little bit guilty about stepping out with a man who was already spoken for.

But all that evaporated when Mulder's strong arms circled his shoulders tightly in a passionate hug. Alex opened his mouth slightly and offered his tongue to Mulder, who groaned and sucked it in greedily.

After several minutes they broke apart and Mulder nuzzled at the side of Alex's neck and unable to resist the smooth, sweet scented flesh he sucked in a tiny piece of skin, just below the collar line of his shirt and marked it as his.

Alex groaned in appreciation and leaned his head sideways opening up the access even more.

Mulder kissed up Alex's neck smiling to himself and filing away the younger man's 'sweet spot' for their next encounter. He straightened up and stepped back.

Heavy puffs of warm air hit Alex in the face, and in return, Alex's breath came out heavy and in sync with his suitor.

They stared into each others eyes, searchingly. Seeking out the mysteries hidden within the depths.

Eventually, Alex spoke. "You better get going."

"Alex..." Mulder said softly.

"Yesss." Purred Alex.

He straightened up and stepped back. The older agent smiled and stared dreamily at Alex. He couldn't believe that they didn't even know each other, yet Mulder felt like they had really connected as if they were meant for each other, destined to meet in a noisy cafeteria.

He desperately wanted Alex to be a part of his life. The problem was not in starting a new, fresh relationship but in severing the old, stale one.

Walter Skinner did not take rejection or being told 'no' lightly.

Mulder had been going to ask Alex to 'go steady' for lack of a better phrase, to be his boyfriend and to look the other way when it came to dealing with his other lover. But for the time, he kept all that to himself. Not wanting to shatter the incredible connection that was already forming between the two of them.

Finally he said gently, "I'll see you tomorrow night."

"Okay." Alex said huskily. He smiled then and climbed into the front seat of his car.

Mulder shut his door and waited until Alex was out of sight before going to his own vehicle.

xx

"Where the hell have you been?" Accused Skinner angrily.

Mulder hung his coat up. "Working." He said blandly.

Refusing to wreck the perfect evening that he'd had with Alex, by thinking of him and Walter in the same thoughts. He tucked Alex and his handsome face and vivacious presence safely away.

"With who? And on what?!" Sneered Walter.

He was so furious that he just want to punch Fox in the face. But he knew that he couldn't risk another report of Fox's medical records. The last time that he'd let his jealousy control him the younger agent had wound up in the hospital with two broken ribs and a cracked jaw.

The dual black eyes ensured that Fox missed three weeks of work.

He took the time off under the guise of missed vacation days. Fox had threatened to leave him, if he ever hit him again... Of course there had been several 'minor' incidences since that time. Little pushes and shoves, forceful grabs here and there, but nothing like the last time.

"On the Logan River case!" Mulder slammed the closet door and sighed wearily.

They were having the same argument they always had; only on a different night. He didn't bother with answer the with whom he had been out with part of the question instead he started down the hall.

Infuriated that Fox was walking away from him, Walter grabbed Mulder from under the chin, on either side of his face with his hand and squeezed. Digging his fingers in painfully.

"With who? I asked. And don't say Scully because I know it wasn't her you were with!"

Mulder winced from the sharp pain, and scowling at Walter he said tightly, "I was discussing the Logan river file with a new profiler to the bureau. Alex Krycek. Jack Parsons asked me as a personal favor to give him a case to go solo on. The Logan file is stalled so I thought an another opinion would be helpful." Fox forcibly pried Walter's hand away from his jaw.

"I'm a federal agent first Walter and your boyfriend second. Your jealousy and controlling ways have got to stop!" He stormed down the hall toward the bedroom, on the way there, he wondered how Walter had known that Scully wasn't with him. Once in the bedroom, he started to take his clothes off.

Skinner stood in the bedroom's door frame watching Mulder undress, his arms folded defensively across his chest. "You said that you were going to be working late. I don't like being lied to Fox."

Mulder dropped his shirt and tie on the floor, bored with his demanding lover. "I didn't lie to you. I was working on a case and it is late!" He said sarcastically, "How did you know that Scully couldn't make the briefing?" Mulder asked kicking off his pants.

Skinner, for the moment ignored Mulder's tone. "She phoned about half an hour ago to see how it went."

Mulder was careful to keep his features even. He should of known that Scully would phone. She could have waited until morning to talk to him. But he knew that for some reason she did not approve of Alex or at least, that was the feeling he got from her.

"She tried to get a hold of you, but your phone was turned off." Walter was trying to catch Fox 'up to something'. The way his lover was acting, all calm, made him even more suspicious.

Mulder finished stripping and turning, naked, he pulled on his robe. "Do you turn your cell phone on when you're in a meeting with one of your agents?" He asked.

Walter dropped his arms to his side he stared hard at his lover. "No. I don't." He admitted."I don't know Walter." Mulder said, rubbing at his neck. He started for the bathroom, needing to shower away this conversation.

"Don't know what?" Skinner said, grabbing Fox by the left biceps, stopping him form entering the bathroom.

"I'm tired Walter." Fox said. "Tired of being second guessed. I don't know if we belong together anymore."

Skinner couldn't believe what he was hearing. Seething, again, he said, "Don't' even think about leaving me Fox. Because I won't let you go!"

Mulder shook his head. "I'm going to shower." He said quietly and putting his hand on Walter's chest he pushed the larger man back and away from himself.

"Alone." He said firmly before slamming and locking the door behind him.

xx

Part II

"..., a mouth utterly unequalled. Here were the most
entirely even, and most brilliantly white of all conceivable teeth.
From between them, upon every proper occasion, issued a voice of suprising
clearness, melody, and strength.
In the matter of eyes, also, my acquaintance was pre-eminently endowed.
Either one of such a pair was worth a couple of the ordinary ocular organs.
They were of a deep hazel exceedingly large and lustrous; and there was
perceptible about them, ever and anon, just that amount of interesting
obliquity which gives pregnancy to expression."

Exerpt from:"The man that was used up."
By Edgar Allen Poe, 1850.


"Krycek." Alex said into his desk phone.

"Hi." Came the husky greeting.

Alex immediately smiled upon hearing Mulder's voice. His posture relaxed and he loosened up his tie as he talked. "Hi yourself." Mulder's kisses from the night before were still lingering on his lips, his passion mark safely hidden beneath the starched collar and sensible tie.

"How goes the battle?" Mulder asked. He closed his eyes and pictured Alex, the way he was the night before, grinning and happy, standing beneath a blanket of twinkling stars; framed by the Big Dipper. In the shower the night before, he'd had an explosive orgasm, using masturbatory visions of Alex on his knees before him, using that beautiful mouth to pleasure him with...

"I'm making progress. I think you'll be surprised with what I've got."

"Good, I love to be surprised." Mulder shook away the fantasy; the office was no place for a hard-on.

"I bet." Alex paused, then asked, "What can I do for you?"

After a sharp intake of breath, Mulder replied, "Pardon?"

The young agent chuckled, "I mean, how come you called?"

"I wanted to see how your profile was coming along." Mulder said evenly.

"It's almost done." Said Alex, his voice low. "And I wanted to hear your voice." Admitted Mulder.

That instantly brought a smile to Alex's mouth. "Well, you'll be able to hear it tonight." He teased, then he thought for a second, "You are still coming?"

"Yep, eight o'clock, your place. I'll bring the wine."

Relieved Alex said, "Okay....well...I'll see you then." Suddenly he was transported in time back to high school, when you had to hang up the phone but didn't really want to.

Mulder too was reluctant to end the conversation. The night before and Walter were just a distant, bad memory. One he wanted to replace with Alex.

"Mulder." Scully said as she dropped into her chair.

"Gotta go, see you later." Mulder said hastily before breaking the connection.

Alex grinned and shook his head. He stared at the handset of his phone for a few seconds before hanging it up; he had heard Fox's partner Dana call out his name. Alex couldn't wait to see Fox again, he had tossed and turned all night, thinking about the hazel eyed agent.

xx

"Who are you seeing later?" Scully asked before taking a sip of her warmed and sugared milk from the nearby coffee house.

Mulder stalled. "What?" He asked.

"You heard me. Who are you seeing later?" She said again.

Feeling contraire after the crappy night, Mulder said, "Why do you think its your business to know who I was talking to?"

Scully had noted the faint thumb print sized bruised at the back of her partner's jaw. She knew that Skinner could be a volatile man and that the two mens relationship was volcanic at best, but she couldn't help but think that Mulder brought trouble on himself. She loved Mulder dearly, but his white lies and schemes always seemed to back fire on him. Obviously Walter wasn't impressed to find out that Mulder had gone to dinner with another agent — a handsome younger agent — especially since she knew that Mulder had led Walter to believe that she was joining them.

She hated it when Mulder drew her into one of his convoluted plots, and phoning Skinner had been her way of telling her partner that she wouldn't be used that way; any more.

"No need to be a bitch about it, Mulder. It's not my fault...I was just wondering if that call was related to the job."

Mulder looked hard at Scully. "The call was personal." He said in a monotone.

"Judging by the way you're acting that was the young agent Krycek on the other end of the line."

"You're right." Mulder picked up Scully's phone, "You want to phone Walter up? Tattle on me to him again? You seem to be really good at that these days."

"Listen..." She hissed, keeping her voice low. "You bring on your own goddamned problems...."

Mulder's phone rang pulling him away from an argument with his partner that he didn't want to have. "Mulder." Suddenly he sat up straight in his chair and pulled a pad of paper over and began to scribble.

Scully tried to read the paper upside down, but Fox's writing was too messy.

"Uh Huh...okay...got it." He leveled a serious look at his partner. "We're on our way...yup....No, I've got a new profiler working the case...okay...we'll bring him too."

xx

"Krycek."

"It's me Alex."

"What's wrong?" Alex didn't know Mulder all that well yet, but the agent's tone had dramatically changed from just ten minutes ago.

"We got another body on the river."

"Shit." Breathed Alex.

"Yeah, no kidding. Meet me on the 2nd level of the parking lot in ten minutes. We'll take you with us to the scene."

"I'll be there." Alex said, and then hung up.

xx

"I'm agent Mulder." Mulder flashing his badge at the cop who was keeping people off of the jogging paths. Mulder passed under the crime scene ribbon and Krycek and Scully followed, showing their ID's too.

The cop smiled. "Agent Scully." He said, ignoring the two male agents.

"Officer." She replied pleasantly. The cop was tall and fair with huge brown eyes, a very striking combination,. He was handsome, but in a masculine way, and the minute tug in Scully's loins confirmed what her eyes had told her.

Mulder looked between the two, cop and agent and he grinned. "Officer McManus?" Mulder said reading the cop's tag. "Have you been here the whole time?"

"Yes sir. I took the call, saw what we had and immediately set up a perimeter."

"Good work." The agent praised, glad that contamination of the crime scene would be kept to a minimum. "Agent Scully will take your statement in a little while."

McManus grinned, apparently pleased with the notion. "Yes, sir."

The two agents turned away and caught up to Krycek who had gone on ahead of them. Mulder pulled up and stood next to Krycek, in the middle between the two. The partners looked at Alex who was staring at the victim, his face was ashen and his eyes wide with dismay.

"Alex, you can wait in the.." Mulder started to say but Krycek interrupted him.

"NO. I'm fine." He said firmly, snapping on a pair of latex gloves.

"Agent Mulder?" Called a male voice from the fray of people who were shooting pictures and combing the ground for evidence.

"I'm Mulder. This is Krycek and Scully."

"Hainsworth, from city homicide. Charmed, I'm sure." The officer said with a fake half grin. He sipped at his coffee.

Scully gave Mulder a look, but instead of saying a word about being introduced last, she spoke to the seasoned detective, "What have you got?"

"Come on. I'll walk you through it. We're clear to approach." The group walked up the the body and Hainsworth recited emotionlessly, "Girl, Janie Doe officially, but whom you're looking at is little Josie Dupree`, ten years old. The M.E. has to bring the parents in to officially ID her, but it's her. She went missing four days ago. Snatched from her front yard while her mother was making lunch inside. The mother and father are separated, but have a good relationship. Neither are suspects."

The three agents stared down at Josie, all of them trying to mask their incredible sadness at her death. The detective continued to speak as he watched the M.E.'s wrap the girl in a sheet of extra thick clear plastic.

"On scene pre-ex reveals no apparent cause for death, no trauma visible, the bodysnatchers..." The detective gestured to the two men who were in the process of covering the girl with the hand that held his coffee cup.

"Fuck you, Hainsworth." One of the men said blandly.

"Like I said...the snatchers think that she's been dead about 12 hours. But only here on the riverbank exposed to the elements about five hours. Probably since just before day break. An early morning jogger came across her." Hainsworth pointed to a man who was bent over at the waist and dry-heaving. "The guy who's losing his protein shake over there,....he's the one who found her." He drained his coffee. "She's just like the others. Fully clothed, I'm positive this is the 7th vic of the river bank killer."

Krycek took a deep breath, "I'd say you're right." He said as he squatted down and stared at her. Alex nodded his head and the M.E. covered up her peaceful face, hiding her from the cold morning sun. Even after the girl was on her way to the morgue, Alex continued to remain squatting. He stared un-blinking at the flattened patch of clover that still held the outline of the little girl. His thoughts ran a hundred miles an hour, noone of them meeting and none of them very comforting at the moment. He looked around at the serene surroundings and thought, "Who took you sweetheart? Who?"

Mulder watched for a minute as Alex silently contemplated the little girls dump spot then he turned to Hainsworth. "Send everything you got today, photo's, hair and fiber yada...yada...to me at the J.E.H. building A.S.A.P. You co-ordinate it...keep the chain clean."

"Gotcha." Hainsworth was relieved to be handing this case off to the feds. Better to let them deal with the nut job who killed little Josie.

"I'll go talk with the witness." Added Scully, casting a sympathetic glance at the chalky-faced runner who had found the body.

"Okay. I just want to talk to Alex then I'll join you." She nodded then stalked away.

Hainsworth barked out a few orders to his forensics team before he too, left Mulder's side.

Mulder pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed the office. He made a request for an F.B.I. forensics squad and rattled of the location. He hung up and pocket the phone while he squatted down next to Alex.

"What's your take on this?" He asked.

"HUH?" Alex turned toward Mulder, not even realizing that there was someone crouching so close to him. He smiled. "Hey."

"You all right?"

"Yep. I was just thinking."

"About what?"

Alex's voice grew very soft and as he stared at the spot where Josie had lain, he spoke, "It's one thing to look at dead people—kids—in a photo...another to see in person."

"Unnerving, isn't it?" Mulder understood perfectly, what Alex was feeling.

"And how. We're going to catch this killer Fox...." Alex shook his head angrily as he raised his eyes to meet Mulder's. "...Before she hurts another child. We are!"

"I know we will." Mulder confirmed. "I guess dinner is out tonight?" He said, feeling like he should try to lighten Alex's heavy mood.

"Yeah...looks that way...now." Alex shrugged his shoulders.

"How about Chinese in the 'war room' later?" Mulder couldn't help but smile at Alex's determination, at wanting to catch the bad guy.

Alex nodded. "Chinese at the office, okay." He stood up and Mulder rose along with him. "What's with these?" He searched Fox's eyes and his latex covered fingers gently touched the quarter sized bruises where Skinner had grabbed Mulder the night before.

Mulder had been ready to blurt out the first lie that popped into his head, but then he had seconds thoughts. Why should he keep lying for Walter? He studied Alex's placid face for a second before answering. "They're from that complicated lover I told you about."

Alex frowned. "He's got no right. I'd never treat you that way..." His voice was quiet, but angry. He was going to say more, but Scully interrupted them.

"Mulder." She called walking over to the male agents.

The men snapped their heads sideways to look at Scully at the same time.

The moment between them passed and Alex was relieved. After all, who was he to tell Mulder anything? They'd only just met and one kiss in a parking lot didn't make them lovers. Though Mulder intended for things to come around to that. He had said as much. Nothing chased away a potential lover faster than telling them that they're living their life wrong.

"Our witness is no help at all. Saw nothing, heard even less. He was wearing a walkman." Scully scowled. The only good witnesses were the ones in the movies. "The runner saw 'her' laying next to the path, and thought she was sleeping. When he went to wake her up that was when he realized that she was dead. He called 911 from his cell. Yuppie friggin' jogger....carries a cell phone to exercise..." She shook her head in disbelief. "....Anyway, I'm going to talk to McManus then find out when the autopsy is, I'll sit in on it when they perform it."

"Okay. We're going to go over the scene ourselves." Mulder easily adjusted to having Alex as a partner. "Then we'll head back to the office and wait for the evidence to roll in."

"In the meantime, I'll put everything together and present it in one of the briefing rooms." Alex added.

"Mulder you can fill me in then if I miss anything. Let's meet up at..." Scully looked at her watch. "...4:30 that should be enough time to get all our ducks in a row."

"4:30 it is." Confirmed Mulder. He tugged at Alex's arm and the men started walking the perimeter.

Scully watched the men go and shook her head. Alex Krycek was bad news all the way around. With those killer good looks and apparently, sympathetic heart, how could Fox not be tempted. The man had no self-control sometimes. She turned away and went to find the handsome cop named McManus.

xx

Three days had passed since the discovering of Josie Dupree. And since then, Krycek, Mulder and Scully had conferred many times to compare notes and evidence. Finally they felt confident enough to put together a team of agents in an effort to arrest the suspect they had worked so hard to cull out of the files.

Mulder and Alex, never did get together for the private 'briefing' as intended. Both men were for the time being, feeding off of the sexual tension and in-between their hectic schedules they had managed to meet here and there for a few seconds of stolen kisses and a hasty grope.

Mulder thought that though the timing right now sucked, it wouldn't always be so and when he and Alex did finally managed to come together in a truly sexual way, the agent fully expected the earth to shake. But for the moment their private lives had to sit on the back burner. Catching a killer was far more important than his and Alex's sex life, or lack thereof.

xx

Earlier in the day, they had set up everything they needed to in order to fill in the team of agents who would be assisting in the bust of the suspect. The pair was waiting for Scully, four regular duty agents and Darnel Washington from profiling to join them.

Once that was done, they could relax at little bit and catch a bite to eat.

So now Alex and Mulder sat close together in briefing room #5 eating, once again take-out from Mulder's favorite D.C. Chinese restaurant.

"Pass the almond chicken please." Asked Alex, shoveling in a large mouthful of beef fried rice with his chopsticks. There were several quart-sized containers of food spread over the table. No plates were involved with the meal, Alex and Fox simply dipped their sticks into the container holding whatever it was they wanted to try next.

Scully walked into the room and while Mulder choked on his rice at seeing her so early—it was only 7:30 and the meeting had been called for 8:30—Alex greeted her amicably, "Hey there... Sit down and pull up a pair of chopsticks." He invited, completely unaware that Scully did not like him.

She really wanted to say no to Krycek, but she was starving and glaring at Mulder briefly she plopped into a chair and attacked a container of shrimp chow mein. As she ate, Scully thought, How cozy.

Mulder was at the head of the large table and Alex was sitting to his immediate left. Both men seemed to be very 'comfortable' around each other. Considering they'd only just met days ago.

"Hey Fox..." Alex rattled off a comment to her partner and Scully couldn't believe that Mulder was allowing Krycek to call him by his first name. Everyone called him Mulder. Even Skinner did most times and especially at work.

This intimate dinner was probably Krycek's idea too, he's trying to cut me out of my partnership with Mulder... the rat bastard. Scully thought jealously to herself, biting viciously into a shrimp.

xx

By 8:30 all the participants for the meeting were seated and ready to get started. Alex would be speaking first, he went to shut the door in order to begin but as he pushed it closed, the door shoved open.

In walked Skinner. He looked Alex up and down and said loudly, "The Director wanted me to sit in tonight." A.D. Walter Skinner he introduced himself to Alex.

"Sir." Alex gestured toward the table and Skinner took the seat at the head of it, where Alex had been going to sit, between Mulder and Scully. He glanced at Mulder and shrugged.

Mulder raised his brows at Alex, indicating that he should get started. Alex turned away and Mulder glared hard at the A.D.

Alex turned a large board around and using a black erasable felt pen he started to talk and write on the board.

"Seven children murdered. The seventh child, a girl, was discovered three days ago, on the bank of the Logan River by an early morning jogger." He pulled a corkboard on wheels out from behind the larger board he had been writing on. On the corkboard there were photos of the seven children tacked to it. Under each child was their name and date that they went missing and the dater that they had be found. "Now I'll let agent Scully discuss the forensic evidence, for now, I'll give you the profile that we've been working with. I can say with certainty that we are looking for a female killer..."

"A woman!?" Scoffed the A.D. skeptically.

"Yes sir. A woman. She'll be older, early forties for sure, living alone in the area around the river..."

"What? Dump the bodies in her own back yard?" Skinner piped in again.

Alex briefly wondered what the A.D.'s problem with him was, but he forged on. "Yes. She'll live near the river. There's a new type of profiling to consider. It's called geographic profiling. It focus's in on not 'why' Johnny or in this case 'Jane' committed the crimes but the influence of the environment of 'where' Johnny committed the crimes and where the person responsible for 'said' crimes would live..."

"Sounds like bullshit to me..." Skinner dissented. "Look. Are you up to this task?" he asked. Skinner could see that he was embarrassing Krycek and he was pleased about that. He wanted to show the little bastard who really held his career in his hand. Skinner had come to this briefing because he wanted to get a look at the Profiling department's latest wunderkind. He had heard April, the cashier gossiping to another girls how "gorgeous" Krycek was and he just had to get a closer look at the newest competition. Skinner knew Mulder's eye liked to wander, but this time it was different, he'd always been able to quash any hopes Mulder may have had of breaking away from him. However, now, for some reason, he felt seriously challenged by the younger man. Skinner had to admit that the green-eyed agent was handsome, but he would not succeed in stealing Mulder away from him, he would see to it.

Second-guessing everything Krycek said, stated to the agent that he was in charge... of him... of Mulder.

"Perhaps Agent Washington should take over the case." Skinner offered helpfully.

Leveling a look at his superior, Alex stated, "I assure you Sir that I am more than qualified to consult on this case." He didn't want to start a pissing match with the A.D. but he wasn't going to be humiliated and then back down from the man either. He knew that the way he handled himself in this room tonight would make a reputation for himself. Whether or not it was a good one or a bad one, that was up to Alex.

Agent Washington thought that it was a good time to cut in. "Sir." He said, breaking up the verbal sparring before it could turn ugly. Washington admired Krycek. Young or not, he was standing up for himself. Jack had been right about him but now it was time to back the profiler up. "Agent Krycek's profile is excellent, you will see that once he's allowed to recite it. I'm here only as a back up agent to Krycek, in case he needs an assistant. That's all. Jack Parson's and I stand behind Agent Krycek and his evaluation of the unsub."

Skinner smiled. "Very well," he conceded pleasantly. "You may continue." Skinner knew that his point had been made.

Mulder sat there seething, he was so angry at his lover that he could barely concentrate on what Alex was saying.

"Right. As I was saying... Our culprit is leaving the children in a busy area in the wide open. She's confident in her surroundings, she knows them well. And were some one to see her, she would not seem out of place along the riverbank and the running paths. Perhaps a generic lady, sitting on the bench feeding the blue jays. Now, the area behind the paths is quite busy, she seems to know where she is going so it is safe to assume that the woods are familiar to her. Most likely a native of the area; born and raised. She has left the children in the same two-kilometre stretch of bank in the open because she wanted them to be discovered.

She is sympathetic toward the kids she had killed. The unsub, whom Mulder will name later, kidnaps a child—the same colouring and age as all the others—and keeps them in good condition then, for some reason kills them by overdosing them on sleeping pills. A painless way for the children to die. I think that the gap between deaths means that for some reason or another she was prevented from seeking out a kid most likely an extended stay in some sort of facility.

So, who we're looking for is a white female in her early forties who lives on her own near the Logan River. She most likely is mentally ill and had her children taken away from her, which is why she snatches both boys and girls. They are probably around the same ages as her own kids. The children she steals remind her of the ones she's lost, she takes a kid and when she realizes they are not hers, Unsub kills them and leaves them where they will be found and returned back to the family... the grieving family.

I also think our unsub feels sorry for what she's done and is trying to atone for the killings by giving the children back. She in all likelihood has not seen her own kids in a very long time. Unsub could possibly be a dual personality though that is stretching it... or a schizophrenic at the very least.

"Why do you think the unsub is a woman." A young female agent asked. "Statistically speaking, most serial killers are male."

"Good question. Because of the lack of violence, the murdered children were nurtured, which points to a woman."

xx

After about another twenty minutes of questions and answers Alex handed the floor over to Scully. He took the empty seat next to Skinner; the one Scully had vacated.

As the younger agent approached the table, both Mulder and Skinner focused in on him. One was frowning slightly and the other smiling. Alex flicked his eyes briefly over Skinner then turned them on Mulder. He smiled and rolled his eyes at the older agent. Relieved that his part was over with. Mulder understood the look and in return, gave him another small smile; one of silent promise.

xx

Scully related the evidence from the previous killings to the evidence that was found on scene and the autopsy results of the latest murder.

"On all previous six killings there was no DNA, none. But this time forensics managed to pull a single hair off of Josie's angora sweater and preliminary analysis confirms Agent Krycek's prediction that the killer is a woman. The coloured hair is from a woman in her forties with O positive blood type. The autopsy was typical of the others, all children were well fed, no trauma, sexual or otherwise. Minimal bruising. Prelim tox screen showed that the kids had a crude derivative of chloroform, which is most likely how the unsub managed to snatch the kids in the first place. A lethal mix of Valium and sleeping pills was the cause of death in all seven cases.

Both pills, easily obtainable if our perp is somehow diminished in capacity...."

xx

Scully spoke on for another half an hour then she let Mulder take over the briefing.

"He talked about the suspect, who up until then, had been referred to as 'unsub'. He pinned up an 8 x 10 black and white photo of the suspect next to a row of dead children. The woman in the photo was incredibly plain, not ugly, that would be noticeable to, but simply put, plain as unsalted butter.

"Margaret Miller. forty three, divorced with two children, twins, a boy and a girl with a history of mental illness. Her husband took the kids and left her seven years ago after he caught her trying to 'wash' the devil out of their pet tabby by throwing the poor animal in the washing machine. Luckily, he retrieved the cat before any harm came to it. But by then, that was just the last straw in a string of bizarre events. Dale Miller couldn't trust her not to hurt the kids so he left, won sole custody on grounds of her being mentally ill and disappeared. We did talk to him, but it was mostly for background on Miller. He hasn't seen or heard from his ex-wife in seven years, which is fine by him."

Mulder sipped orange juice from his coffee mug then he pulled out a detailed map of the area that they were focusing on. Using a long stick he pointed out seven different spots on the map, "Here are the dump sites all apart from the next but still with the same two kilometre perimeter. This is where Margaret Miller lives." He slapped the coloured dot with the tip of his pointer; the distance between all the locations was minimal.

Mulder rattled off the address of Muller and a few more details about the small but heavily wooded parcel of land that she lived on. He gave details of possible ways to the farmhouse and all the entrances into the actual dwelling. He pointed out where he wanted the back up agents to be posted in order to cover the exit roads and the woods. Scully, Krycek, Washington and himself were going to be the ones to enter the house and make the arrest.

"This arrest should be simple, I don't expect any trouble; Agent Krycek thinks that Miller will most likely be afraid of authority figures, therefore she'll come along quietly. You other agents are there 'just in case'."

Alex and Darnel were going to cover the back entrance; Scully and Mulder were going to go in through the front door.

"We're waiting for the warrants to come through, any minute now, then we'll be on our way..." Mulder wrapped up.

The same female agent spoke up. "How come Miller was overlooked as a suspect before?"

Mulder thought that the young agent, Lisa States was her name, would definitely be going places within the bureau. "Because four years ago, we were looking for a male perp," was all he said.

There was a knock on the door and a secretary entered the room. "Your warrants Agent." She said, handing the papers over.

Mulder took them and the woman left. "All right Agents you know the drill." the familiar rush of adrenaline starting to surge through his body.

"Okay, let's go." Called out Scully authoritatively. "We'll meet up at the designated spot in half an hour."

Every agent left including Alex. He and Washington walked out together. Skinner stood to leave but Mulder stopped him. "Scully, I'll meet you at the car." He said, his voice tight.

She looked between the two men then replied, "Don't be long."

"I won't." Once Scully was gone Mulder shot an angry, "What the fuck is your problem!?" at his lover.

"I don't know what you mean?"

"Coming here tonight. That's what I mean. What? Are you that insecure now that I can't even run a bust briefing without you present to check up on me? I'm getting tired of this shit Walter..."

"The Director asked me to sit in..."

"Bullshit!" Raged Mulder. "You're fucking jealous of Krycek just because we had dinner once, while we were working, a week ago!"

"Don't you use that tone of voice with me, Fox." Warned Skinner. "You ate with him tonight."

"Who told you? Scully?" Mulder snorted in disgust. What was happening to his partner? Why was she fanning the flames by tattling on him? "What? She phoned you from the lady's room after we ate?"

"No. I phoned her." Admitted Walter.

"Did she leave out the part about her being here for supper too?" The look on Skinner's face told Mulder the answer to his question. "I thought so."

"All she said was that she walked in and you two looked pretty cozy over Chinese take-out"

"Oh. I see. Were supposed to sit five chairs away and shout at each other because you or Scully might get the wrong idea!"

"Listen, Fox. There's no need to be pissed at Scully." Skinner had let Mulder vent long enough, now it was time for him to give his lover a piece of his mind. "That arrogant little prick is putting the moves on you. I know it, and I sure as hell don't like it. He'd better watch his step or else he might find himself in real trouble..."

"Don't you dare threaten him! He's done nothing wrong. Whatever it is that you and Scully think, it's all in your heads." Lied Mulder indignantly. "I've got to go, Walter." Mulder's voice was calm now, but still laden with ire, "Don't wait up for me." With that he marched out of the room, slamming the door behind himself.

xx

"You're awfully quiet." Commented Scully. She was driving the Bu-car to the staging point.

"I'm afraid anything I say will be held against me in the court of Walter." Replied Mulder icily.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Retorted Scully, just as frosty in her tone as her partner had been.

"I'm talking about you and Walter ganging up on Alex and our alleged relationship."

"He's nothing but trouble Mulder. I can feel it in my bones."

"You don't know the first thing about Alex Krycek."

"And you do?" Scully took a deep breath to calm herself. "Look, even if you two aren't having a physical affair..."

"We're not!"

She ignore Mulder's outburst, "Well, your certainly having a cerebral romance." She looked at her partner hard, while waiting at a red light. "He's going to bring you a whole heap of trouble. Save yourself the pain Mulder and end it now." The light turned and she swung her eyes back to the road.

"Thank-you for your concern Scully. But I hardly think you're in a position to give advice considering the last serious relationship you were in was with a twice-divorced instructor at the academy."

"Touche`." Breathed Scully softly. The rest of the drive to their destination was done in an awkward silence and 25 minutes never passed more slowly.

xx

"Go." Washington whispered to Alex.

Mulder had given them their signal to enter through the back door. Krycek stepped through the darkened threshold first, and Washington followed him in. The farmhouse was very large and completely dark. A shiver ran up Alex's spine as he passed through the mudroom. The house had an eerie stillness about it as if the building silence was in remembrance of 7 dead children. He stepped into the kitchen and swept his small palm-sized flashlight all around. First he checked the panty and then the broom closet and even the large cupboards below the sink.

"Kitchen clear." He whispered into the small microphone hanging loosely below his bottom lip. All the agents inside and out were connected to each other via the tiny mike and minute ear pieces that fit inside the ear snugly.

"Living room clear." Scully said.

"Bathroom and master bedroom clear." Mulder confirmed. "Krycek, Washington take the basement. Scully finish this floor and I'll go upstairs."

"Copy." Alex confirmed. Just as he was about to step into the hall to go to the door that led to the basement, he heard a gun cock. To Alex it sounded as loud as the hammer of a cannon. He pivoted slowly and the second he saw Margaret Miller holding a magnum to the much taller Washington's right side, he shout, "Drop it!" while aiming his automatic at her simultaneously.

"No. I can't go back again." Miller's voice was soft.

"Be cool Alex. Mrs. Miller. Margaret." Washington tried to appeal to the woman. "Let's all just relax."

"I said drop it!" ordered Alex again. His focused had narrowed so tightly that all he could see was Miller's finger on the trigger and the barrel jammed into the agents ribs.

"Where did you come from?" Washington asked, trying to defuse her.

"I was hiding in the bushes. I followed you...." She pushed the gun, "...in."

"Mrs. Miller drop the weapon or I'll shoot you. You're holding a federal agent hostage. The only way out of this is to put down the gun." Alex did not raise his eyes off of the magnum.

During the time of the exchange of words between the two agents and Miller, Mulder and Scully met up in the living room and then crept toward the kitchen.

The duo went to step through the doorframe into the kitchen but then Miller saw and screeched, "GET OUT! GET OUT OR I'LL KILL HIM!"

"Calm down Margaret...were leaving..." Scully and Mulder back away and out of Miller's sight line. Scully whispered into her mike, "We'll go around back, come up behind her." Mulder warned the other agents guarding the perimeter to stay put.

Krycek and Washington both heard the conversation going on in their ears, but neither one acknowledged the chatter.

"Kill me. Please." Miller implored of Alex. Her tears fell freely and her nose ran profusely, but Alex saw none of that, he couldn't take his eyes off of her hand. I murdered those children. I thought they were mine but when the fog went away I saw that they were strangers."

"We understand. We can help you." Washington, surprisingly was speaking very calmly.

But Miller ignored him and kept on talking competing with the voices in her head. "I had no choice. I need to see them again..."

"See who again?" Tried Washington, hoping to form a connection via her children.

"Drop the gun, Miller or I will shoot you." Alex warned again. Sweat formed on his forehead and began to trickle down his temples.

"I know you will... that's why I won't drop the gun. I can't go on living..." Margaret Miller wailed. "But I'm not brave enough to kill myself." She gave an ironic laugh at that. "I can kill other people's kids but not myself. God says it's a sin..."

Washington felt the barrel of the gun move against his ribs and he mistakenly thought that she was about to drop the gun, "Krycek, I think she's going to put the gun dow..."

Alex saw her finger start to squeeze and he fired. In the split micro-second before his bullet struck her in the chest, Margaret Miller managed to squeeze the trigger, thus sealing not only her fate, but Darnel Washington's too.

Alex holstered his gun as he ran to the fallen Darnel. He screamed into his mike frantically for an ambulance. "Agent down...repeat agent down...get the ambo now!"

He kicked Millers firearm away but he knew that she was already dead. He ignored her for now and put his hands over the large hole in Agent Washington's side. The wound bled profusely and in a matter of seconds Alex's clothes were soaked in his co-workers life fluid. Seconds after crying out for the ambulance Mulder and Scully cam storming through the back entrance gun's drawn.

The pair froze.

Looking back, over his shoulder Alex implored, "Help him. Please help him." His eyes were wide with distress.

xx

Alex stood on his balcony in the cold night air sipping whiskey. All he was wearing was a white cotton T-shirt stained with dried blood and a simple pair of flannel boxer shorts that had Marvin the Martian on them. The lab had taken his expensive work short to the lab along with his tie. He had been outside for the last 45 minutes, sipping the Glenfiddick and wondering where he had gone wrong. When he had first arrived home he had stripped off everything except the stained T-shirt. He stopped himself from tearing it off and instead he stared at it and at himself in the freestanding mirror in the corner of his bedroom.

The blood splatter stood out on the snow white-cotton stark and crimson; it's shape resembling a warped version of a Rorschach inkblot.

Alex couldn't believe how a day which started out so good, Mulder had cornered him in the parking lot of the cafe where they'd eaten a clandestine breakfast and kissed him deeper and longer than all the times before it turned to unmistakably bad.

He still had trouble fathoming that tonight; he had fired on a suspect and killed her. Darnel Washington had died during the surgery and now because of him, a husband and father of three was gone. And because of him a woman crazy with grief and hearing voices was dead too. He had made the choice when he said that Miller would most likely be unarmed and come peacefully. With killers you never could be 100% positive.

And now there was a question of whether or not the shooting was justified. In the morning he was to turn in his version of the events. Along with the rest of the agents at the bust.

It was cold out, even colder with bare feet, arms and legs. But Alex didn't care. Darnel Washington was cold and unlike him, he'd never get warm again. The scotch filled the hole in his belly but could not take away the ache. And as the stood there in the dark watching the headlights of the passing cars go by, Alex contemplated his ability to do the job.

A loud knock at the door pulled him out of his misery, for a second he considered ignoring it but it might be related to work so he went inside. Still holding the tumbler, he peered through the peephole. And with a tiny sigh of relief Alex pulled back the security chain and opened the door.

"Hi." Mulder said softly. "Can I come in?"

xx

Part III

Alex stepped back and held the door open for his late night visitor.

As Mulder passed through the threshold, Alex sighed wearily to him company, "It's two am. What are you still doing up?"

" You're still awake." Mulder removed his London Fog coat and hung it up on the nearby rack.

"Because I can't get Darnel Washington out of my head. What's your excuse?" Alex slid home the security chain.

"I wanted to see you. I need to know that you're alright."

Alex gazed into Mulder's eyes. Unlike his, they were clear, free of that tell tale alcohol glaze.

"You want something to drink?" He asked finally, turning away from Mulder's intense gaze, toward the bar. Once there, he added a few more fingers to his own glass.

"I'll have what ever it is that you're drinking." Mulder crossed the living room. He pulled aside the gauzy sheer curtain that was blowing in the wind and shut the door. Then he strolled over to a wall of pictures and studied them. One of the photos was of a pair of twin girls. Both looked to be around 12 years old in the photo. They were beautiful, wavy haired blonds with green eyes.

Mulder thought they were either Alex's sisters, or nieces. "It's freezing in here." His tone was conversational.

Alex spoke from behind the bar and Mulder turned away from the girls.

"I know." Alex said. He added a few cubes of ice to Mulder's tumbler, then held it out for him.

Mulder accepted the glass. "How are you doing?" He was concerned for Alex, moreover, his state of mind.

"Fine. Considering I'm responsible for the death of two people."

Alex touched a lampshade and it shut off, plunging the apartment into darkness. He drew open the sheers covering his balcony doors. And there he stood, bathed in an eerie blue light, staring up at what stars he could see.

With his back was facing his guest's, Alex sipped at his whiskey; the calmness of his movements belying the anguish he felt over the deaths.

"Alex. It's not your fault." Mulder approached the younger agent. He stood just behind him and turned his gaze skyward too.

"No? If not mine, than who's?" Alex's eyes tracked an orbiting satellite.

"Mine." Whispered Mulder. "I was in charge of the operation. I shouldn't have gone in without more agents."

"No Fox. Don't blame yourself." Alex turned sideways and Mulder stepped up to meet his eyes. "You acted on my advice. 'Too many people would upset her; less is better. She'll come quietly'..." Alex mimicked his own words.

"You couldn't have known."

"It's my job to know Fox..." Alex said bitterly before turning away. He went back to studying the celestial entities.

"Crazy people can't always be predicted. And you won't always be right, Alex. You're only human and as much as we hate to admit it, that makes us fallible."

"I doubt Washington's wife will see things your way, Fox." Alex's tone had an edge of bitterness to it.

Mulder reached around Alex's waist and plucked the empty tumbler from his hand. He put both glasses down on a nearby end table. And standing close, so that he was right behind Alex, chest to back, Mulder wrapped comforting arms around the agent's shoulders.

"You took a child murderer down Alex." He whispered. "Saved more young lives from being lost. Agent Washington came on the bust willingly, knowing all of the risks. Dying on the job is a possibility; we all know it. He approved your profile and backed up that Margaret Miller would come quietly.
You're not to blame."

"Then how come I feel like I am?" Alex raised his hands and locked his fingers over Mulder's forearm.

"Because you have a conscience." Mulder nuzzled Alex just behind the ear, where sensitive flesh met hair. "Your heart is big,... you feel things..." His eyes were closed as he planted soft, closed mouth kisses down Alex's neck. Gently, he bumped his erection over Alex's flannel covered ass.

The younger agent 'hmmphed.' Unconvinced.

"Well, big heart or not, I feel pretty shitty right now." He tilted his head to one side and Mulder nuzzled at his earlobe.

"I know you do. And you'll feel that way for a long time." He tongued the opening of Alex's ear softly. "But I'd like a chance to make you feel better, if only to forget until morning."

Turning around in Mulder's strong arms, Alex said, "I don't want this to be just a mercy fuck Fox. I want it to mean so much more to you,... and to me." He closed his eyes, savoring the sensations of Mulder's movements.

Fox kept on nibbling Alex's neck while speaking haltingly between breathy kisses. "Oh Alex, this has nothing to do with mercy. I want you... you want me. It's as simple as that. I'm crazy about you. Can't you see that?"

"Yesssss." Murmured Alex. However, by that point he would have said yes to just about anything Fox Mulder had said.

xx

Usually, it was Skinner who had taken control in all of his and Mulder's love making sessions. And with the exception of Mulder's tongue inside his mouth, never once did the AD allow any part of Mulder into one of his orifices.
Now, thought Mulder, it was time for him to take some control over his life and the way he really wanted to make love. He held both of Alex's hands in his own. "Which way to the bedroom?" He asked.

"Follow me." Alex, still holding onto Mulder's warm hand, led him to his bedroom.

xx

Alex touched the lamp at his bedside and the agents were engulfed in dark blue lighting.

Mulder smiled, impressed with Alex's creativity. The younger man's bedroom was painted in midnight blue walls with celestial moon and sun border near the ceiling. His sheets and quilt were the same, plain dark blue as the walls and the down comforter had two fat white stripes intersecting, like a ribbon around a gift.
The furniture was simple and made out of blond wood and the large room itself, was sparse in it's decoration but yet it still felt comfortable.

The room where one sleeps said so much about a person. And clearly Alex's bedroom decor was of his own taste; simple yet elegant.

The same could not be said about Mulder's bedroom or his entire apartment for that matter. Nothing in his and Walter's place stated, 'Fox Mulder lives here too.' The whole high-rise suite was decorated how Walter wanted it, using colours and objects that he liked.

Mulder had no say in where they would live let alone what it would be painted like on the walls inside.
Walter made the decisions, and for almost two years, Fox had abided by them. He'd never had the energy to leave before, but now, meeting Alex, seeing where he lived, the furniture and colour scheme that he liked made Fox yearn for something more.

Freedom.

He didn't want to be smothered by another anymore, which was exactly what Walter was doing to him.

xx

"I like your taste." Fox commented, meaning it.

Alex looked around and shrugged. "Blue walls aren't very original, but I don't like things to complicated. I'm a simple kind of guy." He stepped forward and pulled Mulder to his chest, smiling, his mind was finally diverted from the events of the earlier evening. "Look up." He said.

To which Mulder did. The older agent laughed when he saw a replica of the earth's solar system on Alex's ceiling, done in glow in the dark stickers.

All Mulder had time to say before Alex covered his mouth with his was, "What is it with you and the stars?"

Alex pulled back and replied huskily. "I'll tell you about it sometime. I can't just yet..."

Mulder nodded, understanding the difference between secrets and personal demons.

They started to kiss again and as they did so, Alex undid the buttons on Mulder's shirt. He slid his cold hands slowly over Fox's shoulders. Touching the slightly older man's body with his eyes as well as his fingers.

Mulder reached down and pulled off Alex's blood stained shirt and tossed it aside. Then he commenced with his own explorations of his lover's chest and shoulders. Mulder smiled and watched, looking down as the younger agent sensually, lowered his fly.

Alex's Marvin shorts slid down at the same time as Mulder's pants went down; each man undressing the other.

After their pants, shirts and underwear were gone, all that was left was Fox's socks and those he quickly lost.

Once naked, Mulder pulled Alex to him and the two hugged in a rhapsodic embrace. He pulled back and whispered, "You are so gorgeous."

"No, I'm not." Blushed Alex.

Mulder leaned in with closed eyes and gently kissed Alex on his mouth. "Yes, you are. Come on, let's get comfortable." Mulder escorted his younger lover to the large bed, not at all uncomfortable with taking the more dominant role in an unfamiliar bedroom.

The duo slipped under the thick comforter, Alex crawling in first. Mulder touched the lamp and the blue bulb ceased to give off its mysterious glow. He wrapped an arm around Alex's shoulders and shifted so that they were lying on their sides, face to face.

Moonlight shimmered through the large skylight in the ceiling of Alex's top floor apartment, illuminating the men enough so that they could see each other.
"I haven't been with someone for over two years, Fox." Alex, swathed by the haunting indigo moonlight, ran his fingers lightly over the back of Mulder right arm.

"What?" Mulder was astounded. How could some one as striking as the young agent not have even been laid in that long? "Haven't you dated?"

Alex gave Mulder a small smile. "Oh, I've dated, but with you being the exception to the rule, I don't even kiss on the first date. Which is why I haven't had a lot of second dates. Besides the work pretty well takes up all of my time. I don't have the energy to meet another. I haven't been in a serious relationship since my boyfriend broke up with me."

Mulder detected a hint of heartache in his lover's voice.

"Why did you split? It couldn't have been anything you did." Mulder would never have guessed that it was Alex who had been dumped.

"He said I got to serious too fast. Basically I loved him... and he loved having sex with me. He wasn't interested in 'settling down' together. That was the last time I got close to another person... or let some one get near me... except..."

"Except for me." Finished Mulder. He kissed the tip of Alex's small, slightly upturned nose.

"Except for you." Repeated Alex. He closed his eyes as Mulder continued to kiss him all over his face, using tiny, simple pecks.

Alex, having been alone for a long time, soaked up all of the attention that Mulder was paying to him.

"That guy didn't deserve you. His loss is my gain, Alex. If your only fault is that you love too fiercely, then that makes you perfect in my..."

He didn't finish his sentence because Alex had licked the agent's lips, enticing him into another deep French kiss.

Mulder pulled away and encouraged Alex to roll to his other side. He kissed at the back of Alex's neck as he gently worked one pre-cum slicked finger into his small opening.

Alex hissed when Mulder's finger sank in all the way to the third knuckle.

"Uhm... oh... Fox... that... it's not been..."

'Shhh. I know." Comforted Mulder. "It's the same for me. I haven't been on this side of lovemaking for years either. I imagine we'll know what to do." He bit the top of Alex's shoulder playfully, trying to relax him.

"Mmmm." Alex murmured, easing off on tensing up his muscles.

As Mulder continued to kiss the back and neck of his lover he gently worked in a second finger. Then, with soft, devotional whisperings, he slowly started to finger fuck Alex. As he did this, Mulder thought that next time, he'd have to bring a few things for the nightstand drawer. Lube was at the top of that mental list.

Alex let out a contented sigh and Mulder thought that his young lover was finally relaxed enough to go even further. So he extricated his fingers and quickly replaced them with the head of his weeping cock. Taking the time first, to smear the drops of his moisture over Alex's opening.

"Oh Fox..." Alex moaned. The tip of Mulder's cock had felt huge and his thick shaft felt equally as large when the older man started pushing into him. Alex felt like he was being torn open. But for as much as he wanted Mulder to stop, he also wanted him to push in farther, and take him harder. Alex didn't know what he wanted.

"It's okay, Alex... I'll be gentle. I promise." Mulder could sense Alex's indecision.

Alex made no reply; he couldn't form words. All he knew was that now, he needed to feel more of his lover. So he simply answered by pushing back and downward, piercing himself further.

Mulder relaxed his head back down onto the pillow and finished the last little bit of his entrance. Once there, he took a few seconds to enjoy Alex. The younger man's ass was so very tight, so very warm. He hadn't fucked a man in ages. Mulder didn't know why he hadn't done this sooner.

Because Skinner refused to... that's why!

Mulder erased Skinner from his thoughts and turned them back to Alex. Alex, whose body was so inviting.

Sweet, beautiful, tight, welcoming Alex Krycek.

He reached over and tweaked one Alex's nipples, then he dragged the backs of his fingers down his well-defined abdomen. His hand reached down a little ways further and found Alex's large cock.

Mulder was pleased to feel that the younger man was sporting a generous hard-on. He knew it was because he was slowly rocking the tip of his cock over Alex's sensitive spot hidden deep with-in his constricted depths. Mulder moved in and out of Alex gently, taking up a leisurely rhythm. He wiped away the moisture from his lover's slit like opening and carefully spread it up his hard shaft with his hand.

"Please, Fox." Husked Alex, his eyes were closed. "Make love to me now."

Mulder thrust his hips harder and fucked Alex at a dramatically increased rate. Needing no further invitation, and using his cock and palm together, he drew his lover away from uncertainty to ecstasy.

Both men, within about two minutes, were ready to surrender to each other.

Alex came first and he did so with a cry of pleasure on his lips. His cum jetted out and over Mulder's hand and as his ass muscles spasmed, he milked an orgasm right out of Mulder.

And Mulder in reply, cried out Alex's name and pushed as deep he could possibly get inside of him as he released his hot seed deep inside of his lover.

xx

The clock read 3:15. Both Alex and Mulder had to be up and at the office at a decent time if they wanted to complete their reports in order to hand them in on time.

Both accounts were due by noon that day.

After all of the reports were in, then Alex would have to sit through a full review of the matter. His superiors at the bureau were not taking this incident lightly. Neither was Alex for that matter. In about four or five days, Alex would know of his fate in the shooting. Suspension, official reprimand or even manslaughter charges, no one would know for sure.

xx

Cuddled up together, luxuriating in the relaxing after glow, Mulder said to Alex. "I think you need to know who my live-in lover is."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"Yes I do. It's A.D. skinner." When Alex said nothing, Mulder asked. "You're not surprised?"

"No not really. I guessed as much from the way he treated me at the briefing."

"I'm sorry about that..."

Alex smiled up at the stickers over his head. "Don't be. Goes with the territory. Besides he helped me to make up my mind."

"Oh." Mulder was curious. "How so?"

"Well, I was on the fence as to whether or not we should stop seeing each other. I felt guilty about stepping out with someone who was already taken." Admitted Alex. "But his bad attitude made me think... fuck-it.
Let Fox choose.
"

"Mmmm." Mulder kissed Alex on his chest. "I'm glad you decided not to leave me." He hugged the lithe man tightly. "I don't know when, but I promise I'll somehow untangle myself from him. He's a difficult man. I don't even know how I got so wound up with him in the first place. You're who I want Alex...only you." Mulder kissed Alex's chest again. "I just need some time to figure everything out."

"I'll wait for you, Fox, for as long as it takes. I promise, I'll be here when you do leave him." He hugged Mulder tightly. "Do you have to go home now?" Alex hoped not. The lovemaking had been spectacular and he hadn't felt this appreciated in ages.

Alex really just wanted to spend the rest of the night with Mulder.

"Nope. I don't have to leave yet. But I should try to be up and out by eight so I can get home to put on a clean suit. I should be into the office by nine if I want to get that report done."

"I'm worried, Fox." Alex said. "I've never been called into the 'principals' office before. What do you think will happen?"

"Well, I have been to Director Anderson's office. It's no big deal." Mulder patted Alex's forearm in reassurance. "Don't worry doll face. You did the right thing; that was a clean shoot. I would have done the same thing... and I'll say that in my report too."

"Really?" Alex was relieved he had been drowning in self-doubt over his part in the tragedy, but if Mulder felt he was in the right then maybe the Director and the panel would see it that way too.

"Yes, really." Mulder kissed Alex softly on the lips. "Now let's get some sleep." He shut his eyes.

"Mulder?"

"Yes."

"Thanks for coming tonight. I really needed that...needed you."

"I wanted to be here with you too, Alex."

"I'm..." was all Alex managed to say before a gaping yawn swallowed his words. His eyes fluttered closed and he was instantly asleep.

"Goodnight." Whispered Mulder and followed Alex's yawn with one of his own. He set his mental alarm clock for seven am and joined his lover in slumber.

xx

6 Days Later

"Hi Agent Krycek. How are you?" April, the cashier bubbled to the object of her desires.
She had seen Alex come into the cafeteria with an armload of file folders and never took her eyes off of him as he purchased a coffee and a green apple as a snack.
April thought that it was too bad for her that she was working the floor, bussing tables that week; therefore, she didn't have a chance to talk to him when he paid for his stuff, like she normally would.

The help was not supposed to approach the agents at the tables, especially when they were working.

But when the table of agents sitting next to Alex had cleared out, April had found her excuse to approach Alex.

xx

Alex snapped the file shut and looked up. He stared at the girl for a second; he didn't immediately recognize her. "I'm fine... April?" He asked, unsure. The pretty young woman smiled, her love's voice chimed in her ears, as smooth and melodic as a cherub's harp. Shyly, she touched at the ends of her hair. "Yeah. It's me." He smiled at the young woman, even though he was in no mood for company; fighting the urge to brush her off. But his father had taught him to be kind to everyone if at all possible.
She couldn't know that his career was sitting on the brink of destruction and his personal life was falling apart.

Alex let none of his real feelings show however. He buried them as deep as they could go and went on with his normal, everday working life.

"I didn't recognize you there for a second."

April's heart skipped a few beats. He'd noticed her.

"Yeah. I got tired of being a natural blond. I really needed a change." She fingered her hair again.

After seeing Mulder and Alex talking so closely together that day weeks ago in the cafeteria, April had gone out the very next day and had her long mane cut into a very short, pixie type hairdo and then dyed it deep brown.
Though the cut and colour did suit her, the only reason she had done it was because her beautiful Alex seemed to respond eagerly to that dour Agent Mulder, and his hair was short and brown.

Agent Krycek, though always pleasant toward her, never really paid her any mind. So she had gone out and done something radical.

She hadn't seen Alex between the day she had done her hair and now, but he'd acknowledged her when she said hi. And he was smiling at her this time. Right then, April knew that it was because of the new style.

April was releived. She had made the right decision in changing her look so dramatically.

"Well, it suits you." Alex said, not associating her new haircut with Mulder at all. "Ummm... April, I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude but I should really get going. I have a meeting."

"Oh... sure..." She flushed bright red and tucked a short bit of stray hair behind her ear. 'I'll see you around then."

"Okay. Bye." Alex gathered up his files and left, without looking back. He had no patience today for idle chat. The disciplinary review board still had not made a finding in the shooting deaths of Agent Washington and murder suspect Margaret Miller. All of the reports had been handed in days ago.

xx

April watched as Alex left. He'd talked to her; that was good. But she couldn't hold his interest. That was going to have to change.

Agent Krycek is just shy. He needs a little romancing, that's all. Someone to pursue him, other that sour puss Fox Mulder. Well, I'll show Alex who really loves him.

Her mind was made up.

First, she needed to find out where he lived. That would take some doing of course, but it wouldn't be impossible. Following him around was the easiest way to go about it. She planned on doing just that on her next day off. Also, she needed to get to know him better and the best way to do that was to get into his office.

It would be easier to accomplish getting inside of his office than into his residence. Which was no doubt, far more secure.

She knew that the janitorial department was accepting applications. April figured that she could try to get on staff with them; they paid less than the cafeteria, but Alex was worth it to her.
And once there, she would find a way to get into Agent Krycek's office. She would be free to go through his desk, his private things. From there, April would try to find some other way to get her beloved to pay attention to her.

Her latest scheme could take weeks, even months. But that was okay, she was young and in love; she had all the time in the world.

xx

The elevator door opened and Alex stepped out. He had returned to the office. He thought that maybe if he quit answering his phone some of his paper work would get done.

Waiting for word from the review board had left Alex a mess.

But added to that mix was the fact that Alex had not heard from Mulder in two days. After their first night together Mulder had come back the next night and the following 3 after that. The lovemaking had been cosmic and Alex swore he felt the earth move below his back after their last, marathon session. He had felt so calm, ready to face anything especially with Mulder there beside him.

But then suddenly, there was nothing.

He had left a message on Fox's cell phone, but only one. Alex was anxious to see Mulder again, but didn't want it to appear so. The younger man knew that he was growing too close too soon, to a man who at this point in time was emotionally unavailable.

Alex berated himself all the way to his desk. After all, what did he expect? Mulder had a lover and he knew it. Naturally that lover would have to come first.

He was Mulder's dirty little secret.

And Alex had agreed to all of it. Willingly and with full knowledge, but, knowing just where he stood in Mulder's life did not make it less painful. Coming last to everyone and everything else in Fox's life hurt Alex deeply. Yet, he could not find the strength or the will to stay away from the handsome older agent.

Alex knew that he would accept whatever Mulder had left over to offer him.

He sat at his desk and flipped open the file he had been studying over his lunch before April had interrupted him.

Before long, the small font on the page began to blur as he tried to read it. He shut his tired eyes and roughly rubbed at them. Then he opened his drawer and pulled out a Walkman, thinking if he shut out the office then maybe the cold case he was working on would start making sense again.
Though he was a mess on the inside, on the outside, one would never guess it. Alex was doing his job and answering his phone, interacting with others just like normal.

He pressed play and his homemade tape began midway through a song. Hole's 'Violet'.

Courtney Love railed at him:

You should learn when to go...
You should learn how to say no...

//Maybe Fox will phone tonight.//

They get... what they want...and they never want it again...

//Then again maybe I won't hear from him, maybe not ever again.//

Go on take everything—take everything...
I want you too...

//Fuck! I am such a fool...//

Alex snapped the tape off, frustrated. The last thing he needed was prophetic words from a scream queen.

"Krycek."

Alex removed the earphones. "What?' He asked.

"The panel wants you in Director Anderson's office in 15 minutes."

"Okay." Alex said calmly. "Thanks, Jack."

Jack Parsons turned and left. Darnel Washington's funeral had been the day before and he knew that Krycek felt guilty for the shooting. Whether the review board would discipline over the matter or not, Jack did not know. But he felt that the young agent was already punishing himself enough for it. Jack could not be any help to Alex in this matter. He had submitted a positive review to the board; his evaluation of Alex Krycek highlighted all of the young man's abilities and even his faults. But acting rashly was not one of his weak points and Jack had told them so.

xx

"Come in."

Alex entered the Director of the FBI's office for the very first time in his one-year career with the bureau.

xx

He had left high school, placing in the top five percent of his graduating class. From there, he attended N.Y.U. and graduated from the university with a degree in Criminal and Forensic psychology. From university, it was straight to the academy; he was accepted after his first try at the entrance exam.
He had scored the top mark out of the whole group that had taken the test that day; and had one of the highest scores ever in the history of the bureau.
Then it was six months of rigorous training meant to cull out those who did not suit the bureau's high standards. After that, the overworked profiling division had immediately snatched Alex up.

Alex Krycek—FBI agent- had never been 'out' in harm's way on a case before. The Miller case was his first and it had turned out badly. He had only ever drawn his gun in simulated situations and on the shooting range.

xx

"Sit down." Director Anderson gestured toward an empty seat at the end of a very long oak table. The Director sat at the opposite end and to his right was A.D. Emily Marshall and to the Director's left was A.D. Walter Skinner. There were four empty chairs between Alex and the A.D.'s.

Alex frowned briefly before sitting.

In front of the three was a stack of files. The reports on the incident Alex assumed.

"Agent Krycek..." Anderson started.

"Sir."

"We have a few questions regarding the details of your report."

"Okay." Alex was nervous and he wondered if Mulder, Scully and the four other back up agents had sat in this very same chair to answer 'questions'.

"According to your report, you heard the click of the gun and then turned around only to see Margaret Miller holding a 357 magnum on Agent Washington?"

"Yes sir."

"How were you able to see that? By your own admission, the house was dark."

"I had my flashlight and my weapon piggybacked. So while I was aiming, Mrs. Miller and Agent Washington were well lit."

"Uh... huh..." The director scribbled something down on the paper before him.

Skinner spoke. "One of the reports stated that Agent Washington had told you to 'relax'. The account also stated that by the tone of your voice you were 'panicked'.

Alex frowned. "No...not panicked, but I was frightened for the agent's life."

Skinner kept on. "The same report also quotes you as saying, Drop the gun Miller or I will shoot you."

"Yes but..."

Skinner cut Alex off, not letting him speak to explain his words. 'According to another, Mrs. Miller begged you to kill her."

"NO... YES... I..." Alex didn't know how to respond to that.

"Agent Krycek..." AD. Marshall cut in. "...have you ever been in a hostage negotiation or a hostage situation before?"

"No ma'am."

"Have you ever..." Alex thought that A.D. Marshall seemed angry... "...confronted a person holding a gun for purpose of menace... other than in a bureau simulated situation that is?"

"No." Confirmed Alex dejectedly.

"So what your saying then Agent Krycek is that you were in over your head and when push came to shove, you panicked, shot first, and didn't worry about having to ask questions later. Is that correct, Agent?"

"No!" Alex shouted. He stood up. Angered by their false assumptions and accusations.

"Sit down, Agent Krycek." Director Anderson said Blandly.

Alex did as he was told. "With all due respect Sirs and Ma'am. I tried to make the best of a bad situation. The rest of the agents could only hear what was happening, but I was living it. Margaret Miller was determined to die, no matter what. All tried to do prevent her from taking another life with her when she went. I failed Agent Washington. I know that. I tried to talk her out of the situation but I saw that she was squeezing the trigger anyway, giving me no choice but to fire. And a fraction of a second later she pulled..."

"One agent felt that your shooting Miller caused her muscles to constrict and that's why the gun went off." Skinner broke in.

Of course he didn't mention that most of the negative information was coming from the same report submitted to Skinner by an agent eager to climb the bureau ladder.

Lisa States, the agent who had asked all of the questions at the briefing the night of the shooting was the one who had written the report showing Alex in a negative light. She turned in a damning and doctored review of the situation and in return, Skinner approved her transfer back to her hometown of Seattle and tucked a commendation into her 'jacket' for when it was time to go before the promotion board.

Krycek grimaced. "I don't believe that to be the case... Sir..." What else could he say? It seemed that no matter what he said, they would find the bad in it.

xx

2 Hours Later

The Director cleared his throat. "Agent Krycek." He began. "It is the finding of this review panel that though the shooting of Margaret Miller was justified. However, your inability to follow agency protocol cost a fellow worker his life. You will be placed on probation for six months starting today. You will be allowed to work out in the field as needed, but you will not be intentionally placed into stressful situations. This slap on the wrist will be entered into your permanent record. That's all."

Director Anderson and A.D. Marshall left the room. Skinner waited until they were gone before he approached the still sitting, somewhat stunned Alex Krycek.

"You're lucky, Krycek." Skinner menaced above the agent. "I argued to bring you up on manslaughter charges."

Alex snapped his head up and stared defiantly at his superior. He said nothing; his scowl spoke for him instead.

The A.D raked his eyes over Alex's beautiful face. "Oh, I get where Fox sees the attraction. But hear this pretty boy..." Skinner grabbed Alex by his short bangs and forced the agent to look up, into his eyes while he spoke.

"Fox Mulder is mine. And mine alone. Stop flirting with him or I'll find another way to fuck you over."

Alex sighed inwardly, relieved. Obviously Skinner had no idea that he and Mulder had progressed well beyond the flirtatious stage.

Though Alex had no doubt that Skinner could and would screw him up royally were he ever to find out about the affair; he still could not give Mulder up.

Now more than ever.

Where are you Fox? Thought Alex while Skinner threatened him.

Skinner released Alex. "I mean it. Prove what a smart boy you are and stay the hell away from Fox." With that he stalked out of the Director's meeting room.

Alex hung his head. Six months of good behavior or else. And a permanent black mark against his name. As rotten as that was, he knew that he had gotten off lightly. Like Skinner warned, it could have been a lot worse.

"Ohh... Fox." He said aloud. "Why won't you call me?"

xx

Part IV


"I thought I'd find you up here." Mulder stood next to Alex's prone form, staring down at him.

Alex was up at the top of Isolation Point, just outside of the city.

To get to where Alex was, you had to park in a lot, then hike for about ten minutes through the bush to reach the top. After that, the point was fairly easy to reach. It was the best place for one to gaze at the stars, where the lights of the city did not interfere with the spectacular view.

Alex had told Mulder once, that when he needed to think, he loved to spread out a blanket on the grassy hillside and stare up into the night sky.

Mulder wisely assumed that it was the most likely place to find Alex when he didn't want to be found. Which was why he, on a hunch, had come up to the point. When his lover did not answer his cell phone, Mulder had looked to the sky. He saw that it was a clear night and then set out for the desolate viewing point.

He had just arrived back into town after being incommunicado for a few days. Jack Parsons had filled Mulder in when he phoned Alex's desk earlier. The agent regretted that he was unable to be there for Alex when the verdict came down.

Alex was situated comfortably on an old thick quilt with his hands tucked beneath the back of his head, resting on a thin, uncovered pillow.

He looked up at Mulder and gave him a lopsided smile, "Hi." he said, melancholy colouring his tone.

"Can I join you?" Mulder asked.

Not waiting for an answer, he dropped down next to Alex and settled his head on the soft pillow right next to Alex's. Their temples touched but the farther down their bodies, the farther apart they were. They were angled away from each other so that their feet rested in opposite corners of the quilt. Looking down from above, the positions of their bodies resembled an upside down 'V'.

"I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a couple of days." Mulder grasped Alex's hand and squeezed it.

The squeeze was returned. "That's okay."

"No. It's not." Mulder laced his fingers through Alex's. "You must have thought I was a real jerk. Just leaving you in the dark like that." He watched the stars as he spoke; the sky was crowded with the sparkling entities. He was amazed by their beauty. In the city you could see only the brightest stars, about one fourth of what was visible from this high point.

There was something to be said for nature, mused Mulder.

"Actually, I thought the problem was me...that you'd reconsidered, after screwing me a few times. I was starting to cling again. I thought that I'd given you what you wanted and then you had moved on."

"Alex...do you really think I'm that much of a bastard that all I wanted was to fuck you. To make a conquest out of you then forget about you?" Mulder tried not to sound angry, but he did anyway.

"No. I didn't believe that, that's what you were about. I didn't even want to think it...but it sure felt that way. I'm sorry I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions."

Mulder sighed heavily. "Don't worry about it. What are you supposed to think when your lover disappears for days without saying a word or calling." He smiled. "Scully and I were babysitting a witness in the 'Weaver' case. A threat came in on his life and we had to move him to a new location. He won't be testifying for a few more months yet. We couldn't tell anyone for security reasons. By order of the Director."

"Is the witness safe now?" Alex knew better than to ask for the details. The security surrounding the witness would still be tight.

"Yah. He's fine. It took two days for a new team to come down and sit on him. No phone, no pagers—blah, blah blah...you know how it is. I missed you and I wanted to talk to you so badly, but I couldn't break the protocol and risk calling you. You understand, don't you?"

"Yes." Alex replied softly.

Mulder leaned over and kissed Alex deeply. He tasted apple and alcohol on the younger agent's breath when he probed his mouth with his tongue. He went back to the position in which he had been laying. "There. That's better." He said.

"Mulder." Alex smiled. He was relieved that the agent hadn't abandoned him after all and silently berated himself; he was an idiot in more ways than one. "The disciplinary committee met today." He said casually.

"I heard. Jack Parsons told me. I tried to find you the minute I landed." Mulder turned his head and looked at Alex who, returned the gaze. "I'm glad it was only probation and a swat on the ass. It could have been worse."

"I know it could have. Skinner told me so."

"Walter? What did he have to do with it?" Mulder was genuinely surprised.

"He was on the panel along with A.D. Marshall and the Director himself." When Mulder let out a low whistle, Alex said, "I know. Three big guns against me. I thought I was a goner for sure."

"I wonder why Walter sat on the panel. That's not usually his thing. He didn't even mention it to me."

"Well, I would imagine it was because he wanted to send me a message."

"About what?" Suddenly Mulder was afraid that Skinner had found out that he was cheating on him with Alex.

"Someone from that night turned in a report showing me in a bad light. He made sure I knew it."

"Who?..." Mulder wondered who would have done such a thing to Alex.

"I don't know. But I came off looking like a complete fool in the eyes of the Director and A.D. Marshall. After they passed the sentence, the two of them left. Skinner stayed and told me that he tried to have charges brought against me. And that I'd gotten lucky this time. He also warned me to stop flirting with you and to stay away or else he'd find another way to mess me up. He doesn't know about us... yet." Assured Alex.

"Alex. I'm sorry. That jealous bastard. He's got no right threatening you. Especially when all he thinks is going on is that you're flirting with me. I don't know how I'm going to leave him. He frightens me. He could kill us, Alex, if he ever finds out."

Mulder was serious and Krycek knew it. He clung to Mulder's hand. "I'm not afraid of him Fox." Alex said bravely. "I can't see him really harming me. But he could hurt you and that scares me. Especially if he thinks you're going to leave him. Take your time in figuring out what to do to get away. In the mean time we'll just have to be extra careful. I'm going to have to learn to not be so insecure. I come last. I have to get used to that."

Alex's words hit Mulder hard. It was true. His lover did come last. Had to... for now. Mulder needed to appear normal or else Skinner and even Scully would suspect that something was up. "Babe. It won't always be like that. Does it help to say you're the first thing on my mind in the morning and the last at night?"

Alex groaned softly and crawled on top of Mulder. "Yes." Leaning down, he kissed Mulder again.

As they shared their tongues, Alex's hand crept between their bodies, which were pressed tightly together and undid Mulder's pants. His lover's hard cock and cold weather tightened balls sprang free and Alex fondled both at the same time. He broke the kiss and said, "I missed you too." Then he shifted so that he was kneeling between Fox's spread legs. Alex licked the tip of Mulder's erection, drawing an appreciative moan from the man below him. Swallowing down as much of Mulder's eight inches as he could, Alex used his hand to fill in the gap between where his lips left off and Mulder's balls. He sucked up and down the shaft; pumping his hand up and down faster than the pace of his mouth.

"Alex..." Mulder said, on the verge of orgasm already. "Come here. I want to taste you too."

Alex swung his hips around and straddled Mulder's face without interrupting what he was doing.

Reaching up, Mulder quickly undid his lover's jeans and pushed them down just enough to free the confined cock; aching with need.

It was far to chilly out for them to actually remove any clothing. So the men in their eagerness to please the other simply concentrated on orally satisfying each other.

Mulder ever the expert at giving good head, sucked Alex into a frenzy while working at his delicate ass with two chilly fingers. The younger man moaned when the cold digits met his warmth and he pushed back, harder, on Mulder's fingers. Mulder groaned, his mouth still wrapped around Alex cock and then shot a hot stream of cum down his lover's throat.

Alex felt the first spurt hit his tonsils then careen down his chords. He swallowed all of Mulder's essence that he could before releasing his own liquid into Mulder's hot mouth.

xx

Afterwards they lay close together on the quilt, the comfortable silence settling easily between the contended men.

"Is it midnight yet?" Alex asked, rupturing the peaceful stillness of the nighttime sky.

Mulder pushed a button on his watch, the roman numerals lit up. "It's 12:15."

"You asked me once, Fox." Alex said, the melancholy back in his voice. "What it was with me and the stars."

Mulder nodded wordlessly.

"I'm ready to tell you if you still want to hear."

"Yes." Mulder replied softly. "I want to know." This was the first time Alex was offering up something about himself with the exception of the mention of a boyfriend over a week ago.

Alex had divulged very little information about himself, even though Mulder had spoken about his sister and even his parents many times.

"I was born on Long Island and raised in a very nice neighborhood in Hempstead. I summered with my paternal grand parents up north, in Elmira. I have no living relatives at all, from my mother's side of the family. My father worked in the city; he commuted back and forth five days a week. Mother stayed home with us kids. I had two sisters, twins, Georgia and Grace..."

Mulder conjured up a vision of the girl's picture that he had seen lovingly framed and hanging on Alex's wall.

Then he thought, Had?

Alex, staring straight up into the night sky, slid his hand across the quilt and sought out Mulder's palm. He clutched at it like a drowning man to a life preserver.

"...And I lost them when I was 15." He took a deep breath, "I had the perfect family. My father worked hard, he loved my mother and he loved his children. My little sisters were so beautiful, they looked just like mom..." Alex smiled wanly, "...Mother always said that I was my father's son, no doubt about it. That's where the dark hair comes in. The girls were fair like her." Alex gave another small smile, the corners of his mouth barely turned up.

And in that instant, Mulder swore that Alex was looking into the past; seeing his parents and his sisters as they were.

Alex shut his eyes, brought two fingers of his free hand to his mouth and brushed them softly across his bottom lip. "Georgia had the same mouth as me." He lowered his hand. "I loved my sisters, they looked up to me. I was their big brother, I watched out for them..." His voice faltered a bit, but he went on. "They were on the cusp of puberty. In transition between little girls and young women..." His voice broke and he had to stop for a few seconds.

Mulder gave Alex's hand an encouraging squeeze.

Somewhat bolstered, he continued, "One Thursday night, my father came home with good news. His boss, a really rich guy who owned the ad agency dad worked was going to Miami for the weekend. He invited my father to bring all of us into the city that weekend. He wanted us to stay in his town house on the upper west side to keep an eye on it while he was away. Dad didn't care for the city very much, but mother loved it. Getting into town was a real treat for the girls and I. We hadn't been to New York City in almost a year.

Anyway, we arrived on Friday and went out to dinner. The next morning, I felt a cold coming on. My throat was so sore. By dinnertime Saturday I felt like shit and mom just wanted to take me home. But dad had tickets to a show; I didn't want to wreck their fun. So I convinced mom to let me stay at the town house while the four of them went out to the theatre. I sat up and watched TV for a while. Around 9:00, I took some liquid cold remedy and then went to bed. The next thing I know, is that I woke up and there was this guy..."

Alex shook his head...

"This young guy was sitting on me, straddling my waist. I later found out that he was this twenty-one year old, named Turner Gallager. Anyway, I was scared; I didn't know what was going on or what he wanted from me, where my family was...nothing. He put his finger to my lips and said, 'Shhh.' I was so petrified, I couldn't even cry out."

Alex squeezed Mulder's fingers tighter and he recited his story, unblinking to the moon, never once turning to Mulder.

"He said to me, 'Listen. Your family is about to die.' Then I heard four shots...pop-pop-pop-pop just like that. And for a second, I thought that someone was setting off firecrackers downstairs. That's what it sounded like at the time. But somehow, I knew that, that wasn't right either. The shots didn't sound like they did on television." Alex stopped and paused for a second, organizing his thoughts. " 'They're gone.' was all Gallager said. He had this weird look on his face like he was trying to decide on something, then he suddenly leaned over and kissed me on the mouth."

Alex raised his fingers to his lips again in remembrance of the kiss.

Though this time he didn't brush his finger tips lovingly across his mouth like he had when recalling his sister. Instead he scrubbed at lips hard as if trying to erase the memory of Turner Gallager.

" 'I'm supposed to kill you.' Gallager said to me when he sat up. 'But I can't do that. I can't destroy you, you're too beautiful to kill.' "

Alex had changed the tone of his voice, inflecting the low pitch of the intruder.

"Then he got to his knees and raised the gun that he was holding on me and aimed it right at my face. 'Goodbye' he whispered then he fired next to my head into the pillow, so close to my face that the bullet grazed my temple. The noise of the gun scared the shit out of me. I remember looking up at him, I'm sure my eyes were as big as saucers with fear. Turner blinked at me once, twice..."

Alex's voice had grown hushed.

"...then he hit me on the head with the gun. The last thing I heard before thinking I was going to die was him whispering, 'I love you' then, there was nothing. I woke up in the hospital nine days later with blurred vision, a six inch cut across my forehead and no immediate memory of what happened." He raised the hand that was squeezing the feeling of out Mulder's digits and singled out Mulder's pointer finger, then guided the pad over the large scar that ran just below the hairline on his forehead.

Mulder could clearly feel the mark, but was amazed that he had not noticed it, even though old scars tended to lighten with age.

"One minute my parents and my sisters are walking out the door to see a Broadway show and the next... they're all dead. The cops said that they came home while Gallager and two other punks were robbing the house." Alex snorted, and pinched at the inside corners of his eyes, trying to stop the tears before they started.

"The three of them thought the place was going to be empty. They were told that the owners were going to be away. A housekeeper for my dad's boss sold them the information for two hundred bucks. My dad's boss had given the help the weekend off, and didn't bother to tell the housekeeper that there would be someone staying at the house to watch it. Anyway, the hell of it was, the three would never have known I was there at all except my parents walked in while they were still tossing the downstairs. The cops said that Dad asked about me and that's when they knew that there was someone already in the house. Turner came up stairs and found me.
The trio panicked and in less then five minutes, three foolish young burglars turned into cold-blooded murderers. They didn't want to leave any witnesses and all four, mom, dad, Georgia and Grace had seen their faces. I guess they didn't want to go to jail. I don't even know how long Turner Gallager sat there looking at me; not long I imagine. The cops said that they found what they had been looking for and left after Gallager pretended to kill me.
On Sunday morning the chauffeur came to the house to pick up the car intending to wash it before picking his employer up from the airport. The chauffeur found us and phoned the police. The cops thought that I was dead too, there was so much blood on me. But I took a breath, scaring the cop half to death and he yelled for an ambulance. Of course the skells were caught. The housekeeper rolled on them and all of them were sent to prison. The two that did the killing got four life sentences each, all to be served consecutively."

The tears fell freely now and Alex's nose ran, but he ignored both.

"That was thirteen years ago today. Every time I look up at the stars, I think of my sisters. Our last summer together the three of us lay out on a blanket and watched the meteor showers together. We were at my grandparent's farm; Grace and Georgia's lives were as brief as the twinkling light of a falling star. That was the last time I remember being happy as a kid."

"Oh... Jesus... Alex..." Mulder started.

"I'm sorry to unload on you like this Fox. I've been drinking. I tend to get maudlin on the anniversary." He swiped at the tears and sitting up, he picked the hem of his thick Mac jacket up and wiped his nose.

"Alex... don't apologize. I'm the one who's sorry. I should have been here yesterday when your reprimand came down... I should have been here for you."

Turning to face Mulder, Alex sniffed and blinked his eyes dry. "Now you know why I became an FBI agent. In particular a profiler..."

"To catch the bad guys." Mulder finished for him.

"And to find out why three young men would rather commit murder than risk getting caught stealing valuables from a house in an affluent neighborhood..."

Mulder pulled Alex to his chest and hugged him tightly.

"I'll be okay." Assured Alex, feeling very secure in Fox's arms. He felt like the older agent would somehow take away his pain and make him whole again if only for a few stolen hours. "Stay with me Fox... please." Alex knew that he sounded whiny; he did not intend for his invitation to come out like that.

"I'll stay, Alex." Promised Mulder. He only wished it could be forever.

They reluctantly parted from their hug. "What happened after you got out of the hospital?" Asked Mulder.

"I went to live with my grandparents up in Elmira. I used to love that place but after the murders..." Alex hesitated then said softly, "Well... it just wasn't the same anymore. You know, I saw Turner Gallager five months ago."

"What? How?"

"He came up for parole and I went to the hearing to give a victim's statement. He didn't actually kill anyone, what he did to me was deemed as attempted manslaughter. Gallager's scumbag lawyer forced me to tell what Turner had said to me right before he clocked me. That asshole found out that I had regained my memory before the trial. Being the bastard that he was, he made me testify in my own attacker's defense."

"Jesus. Talk about injustice." Commented Mulder.

"Yeah. The courts are a pretty shitty places."

"Did Gallager get paroled?"

"No. Thank Christ. He was sentenced to fifteen years for his part and I'm going to make sure that he does every last year, right down to the exact number of goddamned days!" Alex was angry now. A familiar reaction for him on the anniversary of the deaths. He always did the same thing, drink, cry, mourn, cry some more then get angry. The only difference now was that he had a witness to his misery. When Alex was with Matt, he had shut his lover out of this part of his life.
Maybe if he'd let him in, Matt would have understood his need to hang onto another. Matt would have understood his fear of loss. As it was, Matt couldn't cope so he had left. Alex thought that if he told this time, then maybe things would be different. And maybe they would have, had Mulder been available in the first place.

"Come on Alex. Let's get out of here. I'll meet you back at your place." Mulder pulled Alex up and helped him to fold the damp quilt. "Where, I'll tell you about the fantasy I had involving you, me and a scalding hot shower." Mulder kissed Alex softly. "I love you." He said.

Alex searched Mulder's eyes; saw only the truth in them.

He said back, just as hushed, "I love you too." He smiled and the pain of being Alex Krycek suddenly lifted a little. Alex was loved; he had someone who would love him back.

Alex held the quilt and the pillow while Mulder used his flashlight to guide the way out of the darkness and into the light of the parking lot.

xx

"You're going to love the sauna." Alex opened the glass door that led to his balcony. As soon as he had done that, in shot a fat tabby cat. The cat ran straight for his dish.

"What the?"

Alex smiled, "That's Chester. I inherited him from grandma when he killed and ate one of her prized koi in the pond out at the farm. Chester it seems, is a thief. He likes to take things that aren't his."

"I didn't even know you had a cat."

"Chester's shy around strangers. I haven't had him very long, he's leery around me even. But we're getting to be better friends." Alex stepped into the cold.

Mulder followed him out.

The men had previously stripped in the bedroom and each wore only a thin robe. Alex's sauna was tucked away in the corner of his large, rooftop veranda. Both had towels draped around their necks and Mulder secreted, in his left palm, a small tube of brand name lubricant.

Alex held the door for Mulder, allowing the older man to pass through the fragrant cedar threshold first. Mulder stepped into the 'dressing room' of the sauna. The cedar structure was fairly small, consisting of two rooms, each room was five feet wide and only eight feet long. The door leading into the sauna part of the small building had a small diamond shaped window in it, placed at eye level. In the outer chamber, which was pleasantly warm, Alex and Mulder hung their robes up on large cedar pegs.

From a single tap protruding out from the wall Alex filled a large cedar bucket with cold water. He dropped a wooden ladle into it and said, "Come on. This'll warm you up." He leveled Mulder a provocative look then with a wink he pulled the second door that went into the sauna, open.

Mulder was hit with a huge wall of heat as he entered. He sat in the middle of the upper bench, naked, and watched the muscles in Alex back work as the younger man dumped a few ladles of cold water over the heated rocks that rested on a grate.

The water hissed as it hit the large gray stones.

Hot steam rose to the ceiling of the sauna and Mulder grinned as the heat enveloped him further. His cock was already semi-hard just from watching Alex's sensuous back and the erotic curve of his buttocks. He was glad that he had not told Skinner when he would be back in town. And thankfully, Scully had stopped off at her brother's place instead of coming back to D.C. with him.

No one knew he was at Alex's.

Mulder wanted to spend the night with Alex, make love to him, to be adored and worshiped by another. He wanted to feel Alex's warm body writhe below his. Mulder wanted to dominate too, to be on top of his lover again. Then it would be back to Walter and Walter's rules.

All Mulder would have to look forward next were the odd clandestine visits with his forbidden lover. The lover he really wanted to be with.

Alex looked over his shoulder to where Mulder sat. "What's the matter Fox?" He asked, noting the funny expression on the other's face. He laughed softly and added, "Can't take the heat?"

"Oh...I can take the heat, Alex. It's what making me hot that I can't take. For much longer that is."

"Yeah?" Alex stood up and sauntered the couple of steps over to where Mulder was seated. He knelt on the lower bench and wrapped his arms around the older man's waist. He buried his face in the centre of Mulder's chest. "Thanks for listening to me tonight." He ran an incorrigible tongue over a tantalizing copper nipple.

"Mmmm. I'm glad you felt you could talk to me." Mulder kissed the top of Alex's head and breathed in the clean scent of his freshly washed hair. He held Alex tight around the shoulders and squeezed lightly. Mulder placed one long finger underneath Alex chin and tilted the younger man's face upwards. He looked into Alex's wide green eyes—brown in the dim light—and they told him a silent story of all he'd been through and more. Mulder smiled gently and lowered his mouth to his lover's and kissed him softly. Then he drew Alex up slowly and manoeuvered him so that the young man was lying on his back on the upper bench.

Alex stared up at his older lover and wondered why he had ever worried about Mulder's sincerity in the first place. He knew now, that he couldn't have been more wrong about his lover's character. Alex vowed never to doubt Fox again; after all, he was the first person Mulder had sought out.

Not Skinner, but him. Mulder might have to be with his older lover, but now Alex knew truly knew, it was he that Mulder wanted. Only Him. A tiny smile bubbled out uncontrollably.

"Why are you grinning?" Mulder asked. Stroking some lubricant over himself.

"No reason." Came the sly reply. Mulder rubbed a small amount of the cool gel over Alex's opening, the younger man inhaled sharply, smiling wickedly, he asked. "Couldn't you have warmed that up first."

"No..." Mulder, already bent over, leaned the extra few inches and whispered huskily, "I'll warm it up for you now." Then he caught Alex's full lips and sucked away any potential conversation.

The area in which the men were making love was fairly small, but it was big enough for Mulder to stretch out in. On straightened arms with knees bent and Alex's long legs wrapped around his waist, Mulder showed Alex just how much he had been pining for him while cooped up in a safe house.

Alex, as Mulder made love to him, wrapped his heated fist around his own pulsing cock and worked himself toward an orgasm.

Finally, Mulder's back arched and as the last breaker of pleasure rolled over him, he released his hot seed deep inside his young lover, who had already expelled his pleasure.

"I love you, Alex." Mulder said for the second time that early morning, as he collapsed directly on top of Krycek.

"I love you too." Alex shifted his legs to either side of his lover. He absently ran his fingers through Mulder's sweat soaked hair. Euphoric, he felt neither the hard bench below him nor the weight of the man above him. "Can you spend what's left of the night here? It'll be light in a few more hours."

"I can. But let's get out of here. I'm too hot."

Laughing quietly, Alex slapped Mulder's left butt cheek sharply, not hurting him and said, "Yes, you're definitely too hot." Not at all meaning the environment either.

xx

Three Weeks Later

"It's weird Fox. I swear that some one's been going through my things at the office." Alex zipped up his fly and did up the button to his dress pants.

Mulder had paged Alex to meet him at the sleazy little motel room that they now considered 'theirs'. The motel, named 'The Pirate's Nest' was fairly clean, off the beaten path and best of all, had hourly rates. It was a Monday morning and neither man had seen or even spoken to each other over the weekend. And it was not wholly because of Skinner either. The demands of their jobs, presented few opportunities, like this one to be along for a few poached minutes. Criminals and psychotics came first. Both men knew it. Both accepted it.

Alex had totally come to grips with Fox's situation too. He himself had bumped heads a few more times with the A.D. The man was difficult to say the very least. One time Mulder showed up at his apartment sporting a bruised cheekbone. Though the agent waved it off as'nothing' Alex swore to be even more discreet. Giving the A.D. no ammunition in which to arm himself with against Fox.

Mulder stopped dressing, his tie hung loosely around his neck. "Do you think it's Walter who's nosing around?"

Alex shook his head. "No. Not Skinner." He hesitated.

"What?" Mulder knotted his tie. "Is there something else?"

"I feel silly for bringing this up, but I feel like I'm being watched all the time. The stuff in my desk at work is moved, things like my Rolodex being out of place."

"Probably just the custodial staff cleaning up."

"Yeah, I know but..." Alex slipped on his shoes.

"But what?" Mulder pulled his suit coat.

"Ahhh, nothing. I'm just worried about Skinner catching us I guess." He almost said that he felt like he was being followed around when off duty too, though he had no visual evidence to prove it.

Mulder hugged Alex tightly and kissed him. "Don't worry about Walter. He has no idea about us. If he did, we'd both be dead right now."

"Fox, before you go, take this." Alex held out Mulder's gold pen to him, his favorite one that had gone missing over a week ago.

Mulder took the offering, a puzzled look on his face. "How did you find this? I thought I lost it at the office."

"Nope, I found it in Chester's basket. I told you, he's a thief." Alex laughed. "I found my best tie in there too. Unfortunately, not before he used it as a scratching pad."

Laughing, Mulder pocketed the pen. "Now I see why your grandma gave Chester 'the boot', he's a serious klepto...."

xx

Mulder exited the motel first, he had no idea that when he shut the door behind himself that his picture had been taken and snapped again as he unlocked his car and pulled away.

Alex waited a few minutes, then stepped out. He slammed the cheap door shut and paused on the stoop leading to the room. He had that feeling again, like there was someone out there, watching his every move. He looked all around, the number six on the door visible to the camera person over his shoulder.

The unseen photographer took several photos until Alex's eyes moved over the foliage and seemed to look right at the camera. At that point, the photographer froze, afraid that Alex had seen the lens.

Finally, the agent gave a little shiver and moved on.

April Gallager waited until Alex Krycek had driven away before she stepped out from her hiding place behind the cedar hedge across the parking lot of the shady motel.

"Oh, Alex..." She said to herself, carefully stowing away her camera in the bag. "I'm going to show you again tonight, how much I love you.

xx

Three months into Fox and Alex's relationship

The irritating beep of Mulder's pager pulled him out of a sound sleep. He rolled over and snatched the offending device up and at the same time turned on the bedside lamp.

Skinner rolled over and still mostly asleep, tried to pull Mulder into a cuddle. "Fox..." He said drowsily.

Mulder elbowed Skinner away and said to him sourly, "Get off, I've got to go." Squinting at the page message, he read the tiny letters. Sighing heavily, he sat up all the way and dialed the number that had flashed. "Mulder." He said, stifling a yawn.

It was 4:30 in the morning.

The tired agent listened for a few minutes then said, "Call Scully, tell her I'll meet her on scene. "Shit." He muttered as soon as he had hung up.

Skinner woke up a bit more, "What is it?" He started to run the tips of his fingers over Mulder's back, but Fox stood up right away, avoiding the older man's touch.

Mulder turned and said, "A motel's on fire on the outskirts of the city... looks like my serial firebug has struck again."

"How do you know it's your arsonist?" Skinner watched Mulder dress, wondering why his lover had been so cold to him lately. He was positive that he had managed to nip any romance ideas that Mulder might have harbored concerning the young agent Krycek in the bud. But perhaps he should look into things further.

"A bouquet of red roses..." Mulder said, pulling Skinner from his suspicious musings, "...was found at the scene, the insert card in the flowers asked, "Do you see me yet?" He scrubbed at his scalp with his fingers, standing his short hairs on end. "Go back to sleep, I'll talk to you later." He purposely avoided kissing Skinner, secretly hoping he'd freeze his lover out of the relationship.

xx

Mulder arrived at the scene of the fire before Scully. He flashed his ID at the local police and went to where the young cop pointed him, toward the fire chief. By the time Mulder had arrived, the blaze had been contained and put out. Now, the arson investigators were going through the three burnt out rooms, once piece of charcoal at a time.

The irony that the motel was the one he and Alex had visited together the day before was not lost on the astute agent. "What'cha got chief." Mulder showed the fire chief his badge and introduced himself.

"Are you the fed I've been waiting for?" The grizzled fifty-something fireman asked.

"Yes sir." Replied Mulder affably. "Here comes my partner." The flood lights lit up the whole area. Scully was easy to see tromping gracefully across the parking lot in a pair of large yellow rain boots.

"Mm... mm." The chief hummed. "Lucky you."

Mulder leveled a stare at the chief and said matter of fact, "Don't be fooled. She's a ball buster."

The older man shrugged and nodded knowingly. "Little packages usually are."

"What've we got?" Scully asked picking at a speck of sleep in the corner of her eye.

"The chief was just going to fill us in." Mulder accepted a cup of coffee from his partner, nodding his head, but not thanking her verbally.

The seasoned fireman led the duo to what used to be room six. They followed him in and all three shone their halogen flashlights around the burnt out shell of a room. Mulder couldn't believe that less than 24 hours ago, he and Alex had made mad, passionate love in this very room.

Suddenly a pang of longing enveloped Mulder. He missed Alex, even though they had seen each other the morning before.

"The fire started in here. The door was jimmied and gasoline was splashed around the room. The bed was set alight first. The outside door of every room was also soaked and set aflame. Rooms 6, 7 and 8 are gutted there's severe smoke and water damage to the others. That's the good news." The chief led them out of the building and the two agents were glad for the fresh air.

"What's the bad news?" Asked Scully.

"There was a couple next door in room 7. A secretary and her boss checked in for a night of slap and tickle...." Mulder gave a small, exaggerated cough into the palm of his hand. But the older man ignored him. "...they died in their sleep from the smoke. Eight others went to the hospital."

"What time did the fire start?"

"Somewhere between midnight and 1:00 am. There's no sprinkler system in the rooms and six out of the ten smoke alarms were faulty including the one in room seven. Those poor bastards never had a chance." The fireman held out his arm and an investigator for the fire department handed him an evidence bag. Inside the sealed, clear plastic bag was a bouquet of roses and a the card that had been found near the fire. "We knew as soon as this..." The chief shook the bag slightly, " ...was found that it was our guy."

Scully took the evidence bag from the chief. "We'll process this. Same method as before?"

"Yup, plain old gasoline and matches. And lot's of it! Crude but nevertheless, still highly effective."

"Evidently." Mulder said dryly, looking around at the damage.

"I wonder why he chose to burn down this motel?" Mused Scully out loud as she looked around herself. It was just like any other out of the way motel. Complete with a silly name; The Pirate's Nest. "I don't know." The chief said. "When you catch the bug, ask him. I gotta go." The old fireman barked out an order and walked away from the pair of agents.

Mulder stared at the blackened remains of what used to be room six.

Why this motel indeed?

xx

Later On That Day

While on hold on the phone, Alex thumbed through the stack of mail on his desk. He came across a letter sent via the internal mail service. Smiling, he tore open the envelope and pulled out a note written on red construction paper cut into the shape of a heart. On it was written:

A,
Now that The Pirate's Nest is toast,
we need another place to call our own.
How about the Blue headed parrot?
Room 16, 10:30 tomorrow morning.
Call if you can make it.
Love you,
F.

Alex stared at the already familiar writing for another second and then he reluctantly sent the red heart through a small paper shredder sitting on top of his garbage can.

xx

Mulder and Scully presented their report of the early mornings events to their supervising A.D. in his office.

It was Scully who retold the information printed on the paper. "This mornings torching of the 'Pirate's Nest makes it the eighth target for this particular arsonist. Also the largest of the fires. Previously, four dumpsters and three cars were set alight. All were set on irregular intervals on different nights of the week and at varying times after midnight. We've got the preliminary profile to work with. Profiling is really backed up right now, but they will try to provide us with a more in depth report within the next couple of days. But basically they feel that this person is just getting started. That their behavior is only going to escalate. Sean Mathews did the psychological work-up and he feels that our firebug is looking for attention, trying to be noticed by a specific person. Whom? Only the perpetrator knows that. When cars and dumpsters burning failed to draw the desired reaction, our pyro went on to bigger and better things. The MO is always the same. Gas and matches, very rudimentary..." Scully sniffed haughtily. "...he leaves the calling card of a dozen red roses with a note inserted in the blooms asking, "Do you see me yet?" Two people are dead and more hurt....."

xx

Half an Hour Later

Director Winston Smyth shut the file. "Okay...this is going to get a whole lot more uglier. That much, I can tell. Stay on top of this. This pyro's your priority. Scully...." The handsome older Director directed his gaze to the petite agent. "....you meet up with the local fire department's arson investigators. Share the information, see what's going on. We're all working together on this. Mulder...." Smyth turned his ice-blues on the tall agent, "....you hook up with the local P.D. and see a cop named..." The Director glanced down at his own note pad, then up again, "... Jones. He'll help you round up the usual suspects. Shake the trees, Mulder; see who falls out. This is a joint investigation. Scully...." The director knew that Scully didn't like to share. "It doesn't matter who gets the collar. Just as long as this bastard is caught. Now get out of here. I have another meeting...."

xx

"I'll phone you later." Scully said as she gathered up her notes back at her desk.

"Ditto." Mulder replied. He saw the message waiting light flashing on his desk phone. Scully turned and left and as he watched her walk away, he pushed the button. Alex's husky voice said only, "I'll be there." Fox smiled, pleased that their meeting was on.

xx

The Blue Headed Parrot
10:35 AM

Mulder slipped the key into the lock of door 16. He stepped into the dark room and smiled as he caught a faint whiff of Alex's slightly citrus, designer cologne. A soft beam of light peaked out from a tiny crack of space below the bathroom door. The toilet flushed and then a water tap turned on. Grinning devilishly, Mulder stepped back into the shadows, just as the door opened.

Alex's outline was bathed in light for a mere second before he switched the light off.

The handsome young profiler hummed a nameless tune breathily; unaware that he was no longer alone. Bending over, he turned on the lamp; it's dull light illuminating the right side of the bed only. Suddenly, Alex heard heavy breathing and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. Instinctively, he placed his hand over his gun and froze, listening intently for the direction of the heavy breather.

Mulder stepped out of the darkness and tacked Alex from behind. Flipping the younger man onto the bed so that he lay flat on his back, Mulder playfully pinned Alex's wrists above his head.

At first, Alex was startled and for a brief second, his face showed fright. But then his features smoothed out, the instant he realized that it was his lover holding him down.

Alex covered the fear quickly with a smile. But Mulder had seen it anyway.

"What is it?"

"It's nothing." Alex tried to brush away what happened by craning his neck upwards and kissing his lover. He coaxed Mulder's lips open and charmed Fox's tongue out and into his own receptive mouth. Alex had no proof, but he still felt that he was being watched, or followed and it spooked him. However, he didn't want to waste what little time they had together with his childish and most probably, unwarranted fears.

Mulder, as Alex planned, swallowed down his questions along with Alex's throbbing cock....

xx

12:00 Noon

Fox straightened out Alex's tie, "What's on your agenda?" Satisfied, he pushed the perfect knot up so it fit tightly.

Alex glanced at his watch. "Jesus, if I don't hurry, I'm going to be late. I've got case reviews with the whole profiling team and A.D. Stebbings for the rest of the afternoon. Then I'll have to finish the paper work and carry out any new instructions or suggestions on the open cases I'm working on. I'll be at the office until late." Alex licked his lips with mock lasciviousness. "Just in case you want to stop by tonight for a little inter office fore-play..."

"Mmmm. Tempting, but I think I should put in some time with Walter..."

Mulder reached for Alex, wanting to pull him into a hug, but Alex stepped back a pace at the same time, his demeanor just a little bit cooler as he took over dressing himself. The romance of the moment vanished and Alex found himself standing the real world, not the fairy tale one that had sheltered him for the last hour and a half.

"Alex please..."

"No... Fox... don't." Alex held up his hands, stopping his lover from approaching him. "I understand...really..." He didn't know who he was trying to convince more, Fox or himself, that it really didn't matter.

Not allowing Alex to put him off, Mulder stepped forward and pulled his young lover into a tight embrace anyway. Hugging tightly he said, "I'm sorry."

"No. I am..I promised I wouldn't do this.." He squeezed back tightly. "Look, I'm fine. I better go though or Stebbings will chew my ass off."

Mulder kissed Alex up his jaw line. "Well if he does, let me know and I'll kiss it better for you." He grinned at his own joke.

Alex covered his true feelings underneath a playful laugh. With one last hug and kiss on the lips, he was out the door. The agent started his car, then sighing heavily he rested his head on the cold steering wheel. Alex felt so second best at the moment. But as his grandma always said, 'In for a penny... in for a pound.'

He straightened up, put the car in gear and pulled out of the cheap motel's parking lot.

xx

Later That Night

With his eyes burning from the fluorescent desk lamp, Alex dropped his pencil on top of the file he had been reading and rubbed tiredly at his temples. The acetomitiphen he had taken 30 minutes earlier was just beginning to kick in. It was 11:30 at night and Alex was exhausted. The meeting with his A.D. and the others had gone on until well after the dinner hour. Finally, Stebbings let them go, and after a quick bite of the fruit he had brought from home, it was back to the paper work. Alex arched his back to stretch out the kinks. After several satisfying 'pops' he wiggled his mouse and keyed in his password. A box declaring that he had email popped up.

Alex opened the note and read the text. It said:

"My darling.
Can you see me yet?
I can see you!
Always."

A chill ran up Alex's spine as he read. He clicked on the accompanying paper clip symbol and was disturbed by what he saw. The was two pictures, side by side. One was a close up of him leaving the Pirate's Nest Motel; the number six visible just above his left shoulder. And the other was of him stretching after a hard run. His shirt was off and his chest, intentionally hairless, glistened with sweat. His bike shorts fit snugly— a little too snug—Alex decided and he made a mental note to change his running gear...and his route.

Now Alex knew for sure that he was being followed. But by whom? And why. Those were the $64,000 questions.

"Hi Alex... er Agent Krycek."

April Gallagher's voice startled Alex out of his thoughts. He jerked then quickly clicked off his computer and automatically flipped the unrelated folder he was working in closed.

"April...what are you doing up here?" Alex gathered himself together quickly, but was rattled enough not to realize that the young woman had used his first name.

April smiled. She was very pleased but surprised to see her beloved working so late at his desk. She had interrupted something, that much she could tell by the way Alex had jumped at the sound of her voice. Perhaps he was reading his e-mail. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Alex waved off her apology. "That's all right." He gave her a false smile. "I thought you worked in the cafeteria?"

"Oh... well I used to, but I just started on with the custodial department. It pays sooo... much better than food services." She fingered the corner of her I.D. tag. Proud of her new special clearance status. "It took awhile for my application to be accepted. But finally it was." She didn't add that in the end it had only cost her the price of a blow-job to get on staff. Had she known that in the beginning, she would have got on her knees for the middle aged supervisor right from the get go. Giving the man head was totally repugnant to her, but Alex Krycek was worth every disgusting lick.

"Oh. That's good." Alex feigned interest and after a short pause he said, "Well, I need to get back to work."

"Ohhh...okay. I just need to collect your garbage." April reached for the trash bin next to his desk and emptied it into her carts large gray can. "I'll see you." She said wistfully.

Alex muttered good-bye and opened the folder. The pictures of himself, for the time being, shoved to the back burner.

The young woman turned her back and pushed her cleaning cart away from where Alex was working. The office lighting was so dim that Krycek's dull little lamp was the brightest in the bullpen. All other lighting, including the overhead, was out. April turned her back to Alex and pulling the ends of the green plastic bag together she tied it shut then pushed it to the bottom of the can. She hid the bag up by placing a fresh one over top. She was being extra careful; she did not want to mix Agent Krycek's garbage up with the other office workers.

As soon as April was done Alex locked away his files in his briefcase then he fired up his computer. He accessed the office e-mail program and printed out the anonymous message and photos then deleted the mail. It was too late to phone Mulder to tell him about the ominous letter. That would have to wait until tomorrow. So Alex cleaned up his things, shut off his lamp and left the office, kneading away the tension at the back of his neck as he waited for the elevator.

xx

April was excited now, and could hardly wait for her shift to be over.

And when it finally was, she went straight home, the anticipation of what she would find inside her bag of treasures was just too much. She stripped off her dirty jeans and t-shirt and tossed them aside. Then, after her coffee had done brewing, she poured a mug and went into her living room where she emptied the contents of the garbage bag directly onto the rug, right in the middle of the small room. Comfortable with her surroundings, April sat next to the small pile of refuse and dressed in only a bra and panties, began to go through Alex's garbage, piece by piece. She smiled when she came across the red, shredded construction paper. "Well, Agent Krycek what have we got here?" April asked herself aloud. First she singled out each strip of paper then sorted the stripes out and then, puzzled them into their proper order. She read:

A,
Now that The Pirate's Nest is toast,
we need another place to call our own.
How about the Blue headed parrot?
Room 16, 10:30 tomorrow morning.
Call if you can make it.
Love you,
F.

April scowled. Damn! That slimy bastard Fox Mulder wasn't going to give up that easily, even with his last den of seduction still smouldering. She was more determined than ever to step up her campaign in keeping the pesky Agent busy, forcing the man into focusing his attentions on the fires and away from Alex. Perhaps she would take a little closer look at Mulder and his home life.

xx

Two Days Later
Friday Morning

"JUMPING BEANS"

Mulder spied Alex through the large widow. He was sitting in a dark purple wing chair, at the back of the trendy coffee house that was located near Alex's apartment. Fox smiled and pushed open the door. A bell over head jingled pleasantly and Alex, who had been studying the contents of his 100% Columbian brew looked up. He gave Mulder a weak smile, then cast his eyes past his lover, looking for faces in the crowd that he had seen before just in case Mulder was being followed too.

Fox ordered a plain coffee before joining his lover at the out of the way table.

"Hi." Mulder sat in the companion chair across from Alex and gazed at him longingly.

"Hi." Alex replied softly.

"I'm sorry I haven't...." Mulder started to say but Alex cut him off.

"Forget it. I understand...this really isn't a social visit anyway..." Alex reached down beside his chair and picked up his briefcase.

Mulder stared hard at the young agent. "Oh." He said disappointed. His voice had faded off when he took a really good look at his lover. Alex had dark circles under his eyes and they were dull. He looked like he hadn't slept for a while.

Alex handed over a file to Mulder who took it but he did not open it. "Are you all right?" He asked, "You look tired."

"I'm fine. Don't worry." Alex sloughed off Fox's concern. "Open the file Fox..."

Mulder furrowed his eyebrows then did as requested. While he looked over the note and the pictures, Alex glanced up just in time to see April, the girl from the office walk out the door with a coffee. He stared suspiciously after her for a few seconds but then shrugged off the sighting as coincident. After all, he and Mulder were in a popular coffee joint in a trendy part of town. And Jumping Beans was on the way to the bureau. He had seen her a few times around this part of the city; well he lived here, why couldn't she? Alex dismissed the girl and asked Mulder, "Well, what do you think. Has Skinner got a private dick tailing me or what?"

"No. I don't think so Alex. I think this is worse than that."

"How so?"

"Well, this obviously is a photo of you leaving the Pirate's Nest the other morning and this note has the same words in it as the one that was found at the scene of the Pirates Nest as it burned. Well, we found the note and a dozen red roses."

"Oh... No..." Alex chewed on his bottom lip. "Do you think it's connected?"

"If it's not, that's a pretty big coincidence." Mulder took a sip of coffee. "I better keep these Alex, just in case."

"Are you going to tell Scully?"

"I don't know, I guess I will have too. I think you've got an admirer handsome." Mulder winked at Alex and sipped his coffee.

"No... I... No... that can't be. I'd know that. Wouldn't I?" Alex sputtered. He didn't want to believe that someone he didn't know was in love with him.

Mulder put his mug down.. "Look..." He said sensibly, "One: you said your self that you feel like your being followed lately. Two: notes like yours were found at all of the fires that I'm investigating and three: I think these fires are being set to impress you."

"Oh Fox." Sighed Alex wearily. "What kind of shit have I stepped into now?"

Mulder reached out and gave Alex's forearm a reassuring squeeze. "None, Alex. I can't prove anything...yet. I could be wrong. I think we need to sit down and talk about what's been going on with you. I haven't seen you in a few days, so you'll have to fill me in."

:"Yeah." Agreed Alex. "I guess I'd better."

"Look." Mulder leaned forward and spoke in a conspiratorial tone. "Walter is going to New York City tonight for the weekend. Why don't you come over to my place and spend some time with me there." Mulder moistened his lips. "We'll have a nice dinner, and talk about what's going on with you."

"Okay." Alex said, almost shyly. "That would be nice."

"Good. How about tomorrow night at six o'clock? We'll watch the hockey game together..." Since meeting Alex, Mulder had picked up and interest in the young agent's favorite sport. Though Mulder still couldn't truly understand why a native of New York State cheered for a Canadian team from the west coast of that country. The only thing by way of explanation that Alex had given was that he could 'vaguely remember when they first came into the league, he liked the name and now, they were his team.'

"I'll be there. But I better get going now, I've got tons to do today."

"Me too." Mulder took a quick look around then quickly kissed Alex on the lips. No one had even noticed.

xx

April leaned against a parked car and watched the two agents from across the street. She smiled at the emergence of Alex and frowned at Mulder's lithe shadow as he came out behind her lover. It was time to go home and think of something new to do to get her lovers attention and to find away to break up Mulder and Krycek.

xx

Book One

Part VI

She say's her love for me
would never die.
But that would change
if she ever found out
about you and I.
Oh—but her love is cold.
It wouldn't hurt her
if she didn't know.
'Cause...
when it gets to much—
I need to feel your touch.
BRYAN ADAMS


Saturday Evening 6:00

"Hi. Come in." Fox held the door open for Alex.

"Hi yourself." Alex returned, handing off a bottle of red wine to Mulder. He took off his coat, hung it up, then followed Fox down the hall to into the apartment. While Mulder opened the wine, Alex slowly strolled around the living room looking at this and that. A small grimace graced his face when he stopped in front of tasteful array of black and white, silver framed pictures. They were carefully displayed atop a shiny, black lacquered table.

A ribbon of envy ran through Alex as he studied the identically framed pictures of Fox and Skinner.

It was obvious that a professional had taken the shots; somewhere near the shoreline. All six pictures were beautiful and Fox looked happy in each and every one of them. Saddened, Alex understood that for he and Fox, there could be no such photo's showing the world their happiness at being together.

STOP IT! Alex chided himself.

He was here, after all, on Mulder's invite. And it was Mulder who had first pursued him. Alex knew that he had something that Skinner did not, something more important than the physical body.

He had Fox's heart and soul.

The young agent heard his lover approach from behind. He quickly chased away his envy for Skinner and turned around. Accepting the large goblet of bougelais, he said smiling, "I never pictured you as the chrome and black leather furniture type, Fox." He sipped from his glass.

Fox frowned. "I'm not. This isn't my stuff." Not wishing to upset Alex like he had at the motel room the other day, he did not elaborate.

"Come on. The game is about to start." Fox took a hold of Alex's hand and led him to a small T.V. room that used to be a spare bedroom. "This is my stuff." He said as he lowered himself onto a dark blue futon that rested directly on the carpet. Mulder, still holding Alex's hand in his own, pulled the agent down next to him.

Alex fell right into Fox's arms. Laughing, he looked around. This room, with the futon and large cushions made more sense to him than all that pompous leather stuff.

Mulder stretched out over the length of the comfortable couch and settled Alex in the same manner, in front of himself. They were laying prone with Mulder's chest to Alex's back. Fox propped up their heads comfortably under a couple of pillows then he picked up the remote that was on the floor and turned on the T.V. He dropped the remote and ran his hand up the front of Alex's sage green T-shirt.

"These are almost the same colours as my place." Alex mentioned casually, flicking his eyes over the rest of the furniture, which was simple too. All that was in the room besides the futon and the cushions was a computer desk that sat in the corner, a stereo and a VCR, which nestled below the T.V. in a tasteful, pine stand and a single, long poled lamp, sat near the computer.

"After I saw how cool your apartment looked I insisted that I have some space to call my own." There was no need to say whom he had insisted too. Mulder gently bit Alex's earlobe.

"Mmm." Alex closed his eyes while Mulder kissed his neck. "Cuddling on the couch is nice."

"Mmm..hmmm." Mulder agreed. He trailed his fingers lightly down Alex chest and slowly pushed them beneath the waistband of his lover's sweat pants. Sneaking then, even lower, below the elastic and cotton that covered Alex's cock.

Alex inhaled sharply when Fox wrapped his warm fist around his erection and slowly began to jerk him off. The pair hadn't been together for a couple of days now and Mulder could not keep his hands off of his beautiful lover.

And Alex, couldn't keep himself from hardening from just laying close to Fox. He opened his eyes and said huskily during the tender hand job, "The puck's gonna drop..." If Mulder didn't stop what he was doing he was going to cum in his sweats right then and there.

"That's not all that's about to drop." Quipped Mulder, thoroughly horny, as he returned to nibbling on Alex's lobe. He pulled his hand out of Alex's gray sweats and struggled to push them down. Alex took over and lowered them to his knees while Mulder did the same with his dark blue sweats. Reaching underneath the pillow, Mulder felt around then came out with a tiny tube of lubricant. He had planted it there earlier, anticipating such a coupling. He quickly spread the cool, clear gel over his dripping erection and with the excess left on his fingers, Mulder readied his lover. He used two long fingers, side by side, to stretch Alex open; making sure to scrape the tips of his fingers over his lover's sensitive gee spot.
He guided himself in; with on long continuous, sensuous stroke giving Alex's tight muscle only a few seconds to give way then adjust. Alex murmured his pleasure, and Mulder, now fully engulfed inside his lover's tight hot depths, rocked his hips.

Alex's firm round ass fit perfectly against his pelvis; like two puzzle pieces made especially to go together.

Alex's hand went to his own cock, seeking satisfaction but Mulder gently pushed it aside and slowly started to give Alex another hand job, his palm working in tandem with his pelvis.

Both men, horny from being apart, could not lost very long. In a matter of a minute or two after Mulder began his movements that Alex erupted, sending out stream after stream of hot white fluid. His ass hugged Mulder's cock tightly, pulling the older agent into his own much-needed orgasm.

xx

Afterwards, when they were cleaned up and their clothes were pulled back on, Alex turned in Fox's arms so that they were face-to-face, chest-to-chest. The two lovers lay that way and kissed languidly, time passed for all others but seemed to stand still for them.

The all-important hockey game still on, but forgotten.

xx

Alex was snuggled up tight in Mulder's arms, with his head was tucked underneath Fox's chin and his back still to the television. "Judging by the boos, I think my team scored."

"I know I did." Mulder grinned at his own joke then planted a kiss on the tip of Alex's nose. "Let's get up. The second period is over and my lasagna is done."

Either man had yet to bring up the office, the arsonist or the notes and photographs Alex had received. There was plenty of time for the business later. Now was the time for pleasure.

Mulder was so intent on being completely alone with Alex the he had turned off his pager and the cell phone and was letting the answering machine in the bedroom pick up the calls. He had even gone so far as to turn off the ringers on all three in house phones. Even the call from Skinner went unacknowledged. If it were an emergency, Scully would come to the apartment if she couldn't reach him. The doorman would buzz, and Mulder could meet his partner down stairs. No one would even know that Alex was in there with him.

xx

Near the end of dinner, Mulder tried discussing the arsonist case with Alex.

"Have you received any more e-mail?"

"No. None." Alex popped a bit of garlic bread into his mouth.

"Is there anything else that comes to mind.? Any idea as to who this could be?"

"Other then feeling like I was being watched all the time?" Alex wiped his lips with his cloth napkin.

"Yes." Mulder stood and cleared the dirty dishes off of the table.

"I have no idea who could be doing this." Alex followed Mulder into the kitchen, bringing the breadbasket and butter dish with him. He put them on the counter and watched his lover from behind as the older man stacked the dishwasher. As soon as Mulder had shut the Maytag's door, Alex stepped up behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist. Mulder smiled as Alex kissed the side of his neck. "How come you never let me make love to you, Fox?" He murmured.

Mulder turned around in Alex's arms and circled his own around Alex's waist and pulled him close so that their groins rested against each other. "It's not that I won't let you, it's just that you feel so good beneath me. You always look so damn beautiful that way; you're impossible to resist." He drew his lover in close and kissed him gently on the lips. "Would you like to make love to me?" Fox drew Alex's ample bottom lip into his mouth he sucked on it then released it.

Alex, staring into Fox's hazel depths said, "Yes Fox. I would."

"Then maybe we should work out this love struck arsonist stuff first. I think these fires are related to you...."

The younger man smothered his lover's observations by kissing the agent until he was slack jawed and thoroughly excited all over again.

"Shhh Fox..." Alex whispered huskily into Mulder's ear. His hot breath sent a string of goose bumps around the nape of his neck. "Let's leave the business side of this weekend until Monday." Alex ran his tongue over Mulder's jaw-line to the tiny dimple in his chin. He spoke in between tiny kisses. "Nothing else matters except you and me; here and now."

"You're right." Agreed Mulder, who probably would have agreed that Alex's hair was blue were the question put to him at that moment.

"I feel like a shower." Alex rubbed his groin suggestively over his lover's.

Mulder grabbed Alex by the hand and led him to the large stall in the master bathroom.

xx

"Fuck!" Skinner slammed the hotel phone down so hard he jolted an involuntary ring out of the device.

Where the hell is Fox? It's eleven at night, he should be home.

Skinner was pissed off; Mulder knew that he was going to phone him.

Maybe he was out on a case. Perhaps the firebug has struck again.

Walter hated being away from Fox, even for a weekend. He had to know what his lover was doing at all times. He couldn't help himself. As far as Walter was concerned, Fox had better be working or else! There was no other excuse for him to not be answering the cell or apartment phone. Skinner had an idea. He paged Fox and left him a 911 message.

xx

Fifteen Minutes Later

Walter still had not received a response. He decided that the only way to get through the rest of the weekend was to assume that is lover was unreachable because of the job. It was better for both men if he did. He'd be home tomorrow night and then he would find out what was going on.

Walter pulled his complimentary robe off and draped it over the back of the over-stuffed chair. He shut the lamp off and crawled into the cold sheets. Like it did so often, Walter's cock had hardened with his anger and now there was only one way to make it dissipate. He closed his eyes and snaked his large hand down below the cotton sheets. As his hand pulled hard on his cock, images of Alex Krycek not Fox Mulder came to his thoughts. He had been jealous of the much younger man, and in the beginning, Alex was a real threat for Fox's affections but then Fox chosen him and the little green-eyed thief was shoved aside. Walter knew that Alex and Fox weren't together because he'd had an agent stake out the younger man's apartment a couple of times when Fox had phoned him to say that he was going to work late. All those times, Krycek had always come home, alone and on time.

Walter's fears, it seemed, were unfounded.

So now, the older man, though still distrustful of the beautiful agent Krycek, felt it was okay to use the man's image to masturbate too. And what images they were too. Always violent, always painful, for Alex that was. And tonight's session was no different. Walter settled into a particular favorite fantasy. Where the sable haired slut was on his knees, hands pulled taut behind his back while Walter crammed his large cock between ripe red lips.

Tears fell from Krycek's eyes but Walter had no mercy he just kept pounding away...

xx

Meanwhile

Hot water jetted down Mulder's back, his graceful body bent over at the waist. His hands were resting against the opposite black tiled wall and his body formed a quasi-human umbrella over Alex, protecting him from the hot spray. The young agent was on his knees giving Mulder the blowjob of his life—which was what he thought every time Alex had honored him so.

Alex used one hand to cup, caress and manipulate Mulder's balls and the other to draw delightful friction up his hard shaft.

Mulder stared down at his gorgeous lover.

Alex's eyes were closed and fat drops of water hung off his long, lush lashes like cut crystals from a chandelier.

Fox groaned loudly, and Alex, understanding the signal, put his hands on each one of Mulder's firm ass cheeks and used only his talented mouth to draw him to orgasm.

Mulder clenched his butt cheeks and released his seed deep down Alex's hot throat.

Once done, he helped Alex to his feet and kissed him soundly. "That was soooo... great." He reached out and shut the polished steel taps off.

Alex grinned and said cheekily, "I know." Then he stepped out of the stall, followed closely behind by his lover.

Fox tossed Alex a large, plush towel and dried himself of with another. He walked into the bedroom and noticed a red light flashing on his answering machine. Mulder knew who was on it. No need to spoil the rest of the night by playing it. Mulder pushed the 'delete' button and erased all four messages.

Tonight it was just he and Alex.

No Scully, Skinner, Smyth or Stebbings.

Just two men alone, sharing in love.

xx

Once in bed, Alex took control. and Mulder not only allowed it, but liked it too.

First, Alex kissed him softly, all over, exploring the planes of Mulder that looked different in the view from above than the one from below.

Mulder, instead of feeling like a sex doll, which was the way he had usually felt lately after being with Skinner, felt the opposite with Alex. The younger man was making him feel special, cherished; taking his sweet time in getting to the making love part of the evening.

Alex had wanted to make love to Fox for months and now that his opportunity had arrived, he did not want their coupling to be a simple 'Wham, bam, thank-you man' quickie. No, he wanted to savor Mulder's exquisite body, from his soft, supple skin to his hard lean muscles. Alex wanted to kiss and taste it all. Only when he had coaxed another erection to life in his lover, did Alex begin the next step.

Mulder couldn't get over Alex's stamina—his staying power. The man was incredibly patient. Every so often, he could feel Alex's erection bump against his thigh or another part of his naked body. But as hard as he was, his younger lover did nothing to satisfy his lust; instead he concentrated on only Mulder's pleasure.

It took Mulder a little bit to realize that his rapture, was Alex's.

Alex positioned himself between Mulder's legs and pushed them back toward his chest, exposing the older man's ass. He could hear his lover's heavy breathing; panting with an unknown anticipation. Alex grinned. The room was dark but his eyes were adjusting, he knew from personal experience how good what he was about to do to Fox felt. Mulder was going to love it. Alex ran the tip of his tongue over Mulder's clean opening lightly, and Mulder, having never experienced this before, hissed with excitement.

Good he's receptive then.

Thought Alex, who bent his head and put his tongue to good use, building Mulder toward the brink of ecstasy all over again. It didn't take long, between palm and tongue, before Mulder was squirming, then yelling out his satisfaction from Alex's touches.

Fox spurt hot cum over his own abdomen and finally, his tightly clenched body relaxed into the soft mattress. "Ohhh... Alex... you're the best... ever..." He murmured, not caring that he really didn't make all that much sense.

"Thank-you." Alex said, after giving Fox a quick kiss. He sat up on his knees and scooped up Mulder's rapidly cooling seed. He rubbed it over his own throbbing cock; the organ begged to be pacified. His body was beyond simple lust, he was now in a Tantric type of state. Mulder's ass was still loosened enough from his tongue fucking so Alex did not need to spend too much time preparing his lover. He made sure however, that he would not cause Fox any pain, he gently eased the swollen head of his cock inside the very receptive man. He gently prodded the tight little muscle to ease open and as soon as it did, Alex stretched out directly over top of Fox and slowly worked in the rest of his erection. Mulder, in return, adjusted his hips and legs, giving his lover greater access to his ass. His legs were bent at this knees and he used his hands to gently massage Alex's back; from his shoulders to his ass cheeks.

Alex pushed in and out of Fox with slow, determined, rhythmic strokes. Though his orgasm neared all too soon, he never changed his pace. Alex only wished that their love making could last forever, but it could not. He stared down at Mulder and whispered softly, "I love you, Fox." His pelvis alone controlled his lingering thrusts; Mulder's tight depths, felt as warm and as welcoming as a chenille glove.

"I love you too, Alex." Mulder put his hands at the back of Alex's head and drew him down for a long, deep kiss.

With the full moon streaming through the open balcony curtains, and the constellations cheering them on, Alex Krycek quietly drove his love into Mulder, over and over again.

xx

Sunday Morning
10:00 AM

Scully felt terrible about the way things had been left between her and Mulder back at the office on Friday.

He had shown up late for their meeting with A.D. Smyth. They were supposed to do case updates with their supervising A.D. together but she was left to do the majority of it alone. His tardiness and blatant disregard for the more mundane part of the job had really pissed her off. So much so, that by the time he did arrive, no excuse would mollify her. He tried to get together with her several times during that day to discuss not just the arson case they were working on, but several other open files.

Unfortunately, she had been suffering from a sever case of PMS and 'married man-itis'. The last guy she had been sleeping with, a nice cop name McManus, turned out to be married. She had to dump him Thursday night, making Friday a day from hell. Sick of men, she had chewed Mulder out at every opportunity along with every other male colleague that day. Finally her partner gave up apologizing and disappeared all together at around 4 PM. She yanked the top drawer of her desk open and deposited her stuff in it, then slammed the very same drawer closed, muttering to herself about how all men stink and took the paper work home with her.

Now on Sunday morning, the anger and the PMS having passed, she felt contrite. So she went to a popular donut shop and brought several French crullers—Mulder's favorites—and two huge coffees thinking that she would surprise him with the impromptu albeit unhealthy breakfast as a way to apologize.

At the entrance to the apartment building, Scully flashed her ID to the doorman.

He had recognized her anyway.

She told him not to buzz the apartment that she wanted to surprise her partner. Scully held up the tray of coffee and the bag of donuts demonstrating what her surprise was.

The security man laughed, "Coffee and donuts, a favorite of all law enforcement officers I see." Then he let her pass.

"Yup." She replied, suddenly cheerful. Instead of using the elevator, Scully took the stairs. She wasn't adverse to a little cardio exercise.

xx

Fox held the door open for Alex. He didn't want him to leave yet, but it was time. Alex stepped over the threshold into the hall and turned around.

xx

Scully with her hands full, struggled with the heavy fire door. Finally, she just deposited the tray of coffee and the donuts down on the floor. She pulled the door open just enough to wedge her tiny food between it and the jamb. As she squatted down to pick up he stuff, a familiar male voice caught her attention. Scully snapped he head up, watching and listening through the two-inch gap in the door. It was Mulder and Alex Krycek. She could see Krycek, the door to Mulder's and Skinner's apartment was wide open. She could hear, but not see her partner. Alex looked like he was just leaving. She assumed that because in his hand was a small athletic bag.

"See you at the office." Alex said, staring straight ahead, oblivious, seeing only Mulder.

"See you there."

She heard Mulder say, then Mulder's head came out of hiding. Frozen in her crouching position, Scully watched as the two men kissed passionately. Neither man noticed that the fire door was cracked open. For that matter, the two of them probably wouldn't have noticed if it were on fire; so focused were Fox and Alex on each other.

"I love you." Reaffirmed Mulder, once he had pulled back form the kiss.

"And I love you." Alex stared at Mulder longingly for a second, then turned and started down the hall toward the elevator.

As Alex walked away, Scully thought, Even in sweats his ass looks good.

She quickly shook that thought away and turned her attention to Mulder. He was concentrating on watching his lover leave.

xx

The doors slid open immediately and Alex stepped into the elevator. He turned around and pushed the button for the lobby and as the doors slowly closed he raised his hand and waved to his lover.

Mulder returned the gesture, then Alex was gone. He went back inside the apartment; a full list of things to do before Walter arrived home and at the top of it was changing the sheets. Alex's scent, clean and citrus, was still lingering in the Egyptian cotton.

xx

Scully waited until the elevator and Mulder's door had closed before letting the fire door slam shut again. She sat down hard and leaned her back against the steel, unaware of the chill coming from the cement floor beneath her ass. She couldn't believe it. Mulder was having an affair with Krycek—despite all of his protests. An affair that had been going on for quite sometime if it had progressed to the I love you stage. Mulder had out right lied to her when she asked about he and Alex. And not only lied to her, but Walter too.

Just how long had it been going on? Months? Probably right from day one.

Scully thought back to all of the times Mulder had taken an extra long lunch or showed up a little bit late in the morning. A couple of times he just disappeared in the afternoon, claiming he had personal errands to run. Scully never suspected a thing, because sometimes she took an afternoon for personal time too. To do stuff like seeing the dentist or picking up her dry cleaning. She assumed that Mulder had been doing the same things too, not screwing Alex Krycek. The betrayal and the lies hurt her and hot tears strung beneath her lids. She resented the tears, angry that her partner, a man she trusted implicitly, would not only deceive her but act so stupid as to play around behind a man like Walter Skinner's back.

Scully put the majority of blame on Krycek's shoulders. Before Mulder met Krycek he never would have lied to her or acted the way he was. She was conflicted, should she tell Walter or not? And if she did, what would he do? Go crazy for one; that much she knew. But then again maybe this time Mulder and Krycek deserved what they got. Scully stood up and hastily wiped away her tears, undecided as to what she should do. Scully started back down the stairs purse in hand. The coffee and donuts sat where she had left them, near the door, forgotten.

xx

Sunday Night
9:00 PM.

"I'm home Fox." Walter called out loudly down the darkened hallway.

"I'm in here."

Walter walked into the bedroom, he dropped his small suitcase onto his chair and looked hard at Mulder who was in bed already, propped up by his own large pillows reading some case files.

Obviously, Mulder was not going to kiss him hello. "Where were you last night?" He asked, growing angry. "What's going on?" The large A.D. started to strip. "Why are you in bed?" He flung his questions out and they sounded like accusations.

Mulder removed his glasses and placed them on his nightstand. "Nothing..." He replied casually. "...is going on." He knew from Walter's posture that the man was angry.

Typical. Mulder thought. Pissed off before he knows the story.

"Why didn't you answer my calls!?"

Mulder rubbed at his eyes, tired, he was about to embark on the age old trip to 'Haven't we had this argument before?'

"Which question would you like me to answer first Walter?!" Yelled Mulder sarcastically. "Where I was, why didn't I return your call or why am I in bed!"

Wearing only his briefs, Walter stormed the few paces to Mulder's side of the bed. He grabbed the agent by the hair on the back of his head and clutched him painfully with the other hand on either side of his jaw. "Don't you talk to me like that, Fox..."

Finding an inner strength he thought he'd lost long ago, Mulder raised his hands to Walter's chest and shoved him away. The large man lurched backward about a foot. "Don't bully me! I'm sick of your shit!"

Skinner straightened up, he squeezed his fists shut, but kept his arms to his sides.

"Are you ready to listen to me?"

Skinner nodded, his jaw clench tight.

"I didn't answer the phone because I was sick last night. I took some cold capsules and went to bed early. Today, I spent the day on the couch reviewing files. I had a light dinner about half an hour ago and with it, some more cold medicine..." Mulder softened his voice, "I'm sorry Walter, but I'm exhausted, the pills have made me sleepy. Can we talk about this tomorrow?" Mulder stifled a fake yawn and shut off his lamp and settled himself so that he was comfortable. "Good night."

Skinner stared at his lover for a few seconds, then went to his side of the bed and crawled in. He cuddled in close behind Mulder. "Fox." He whispered before kissing his neck.

"Really Walter, I'm serious. I'm tired... I just want to go to sleep."

Walter rolled over away from his lover onto his back. "Why the fresh clean sheets, Fox?" He asked, his voice suspicious and sneering.

"I sweated all night last night." Mulder replied casually and then he pulled up the blankets tighter under his chin and shut his eyes.

xx

Monday Morning

"How was your weekend Scully?" Mulder flopped gracefully into his desk chair.

"Quiet." Scully looked to her partner, her gaze even and returned casually, "Your's?"

"Oh it was pretty boring. I stayed home the whole weekend. Walter was in New York working with the U.S. Attorney over this witness we were protecting a few months back."

"Really? You were home? I tried to phone you but you weren't answering. Your cell and pager were forwarded to voice messaging too." She gave Mulder one last chance to come clean about his off-hour activities.

"Oh. Well I was in bed all weekend with a cold." He replied, his voice sounding disinterested. Mulder picked up a stack of messages and started to thumb through them.

Oh you were in bed all-right. Scully thought. Just not with a cold.

She smiled and nodded her head as if to accept the lie and turned herself to her own work.

Mulder of course had no idea that Scully knew the truth.

After about an hour of silence between them, each agent catching up on things after the weekend, Mulder looked at his watch and said, "I'm going for a coffee. I'll be back in 20 minutes."

He stood up and left, not even asking her to see if she wanted him to bring her back anything and more importantly, not even inviting her to come along.

Scully stared after her partner for a few seconds and once he had disappeared through the double doors, she picked up the phone and dialed Skinner's number.

xx

"Skinner."

"Hi Walter, it's Dana."

"Oh... hello Dana." Scully was the only person Mulder ever worked with that he liked and trusted. "What a surprise, what can I do for you?"

"I wanted to invite you to lunch."

"Oh..." He flipped through his day planner. "I'm pretty booked up. I was just going to catch a bite here in my office today."

"That's okay, I'll join you there." She cut in. "It's important that I see you."

"Well...sure. Is everything ok?"

"It will be. Once I see you."

"All right. 12:30, my office. You bring the juice, I'll buy the sushi."

"See you then, Walter." She hung up.

Skinner was curious as to why Scully wanted to see him; without Fox.

He picked up the review he had been going over for the U.S. Attorney; their mob witness's safety had been threatened yet again. The attorney didn't trust the current group of agents and wanted Skinner to assign 8 more fresh ones. The agents were to work in pairs for the next 4 weeks, then the snitch would be transferred to a new safe house located in New York City to begin giving his testimony. Each pair would do 7 full days; incommunicado with everyone except another supervising A.D. unless it was an emergency. Skinner wrote down 8 names he thought would be good for the job, all agents were from different sections of the bureau. He put it aside for Director Anderson to approve.

xx

Mulder paid for his coffee, glad that the previous cashier, April, the sour puss who smiled for no one except Alex, was no longer there. The woman who had replaced her was older and way more pleasant.

He took the coffees with him and rode the elevator up to Alex's floor. He paused at the entrance to the profiler's bullpen. Alex's desk was halfway between the door and the far wall. Near Jack Stebbings' private office. He watched, unnoticed, as his lover worked. He heard Alex's name called out by another agent, and a handsome man of Latino descent dropped what looked like photographs in front of him on the desk. The agent, one whom Mulder didn't recognize, then stood right behind Alex and leaned over his shoulder. Giving a commentary directly into Alex's ear, while pointing at whatever it was in the photos. Mulder immediately stood up straight. His hackles up as jealousy flaring to the surface; like a rooster who has discovered another cock in the hen house. He couldn't believe how angry he was and how quickly it had hit him.

Alex smiled and nodded and murmured something to the agent.

Finally, Mulder couldn't take it any more. He pulled himself together as best as he could and went over to Alex's desk. He cleared his throat loudly.

Alex looked up from the crime scene pictures; a large smile came to his face. "Agent Mulder. What brings you to the psych. ward" Alex stared up at his lover for a few seconds, waiting for an answer. When he saw the anger in Mulder's eyes, the beautiful smile he wore only for Mulder slowly fell away. "What's wrong?"

"Can I talk to you in private, Agent Krycek?" Not to be completely rude, Mulder nodded to the agent who was invading his lover's space.

"Uhhh...sure." However, Alex was anything but sure. He led the way into Stebbings' office. Mulder shut the door behind himself, stopping just short of slamming it.

"Who the hell is that?!" Mulder questioned in quiet rage.

"Who?" Alex asked, puzzled. "You mean the agent at my desk?"

"Yes! Who the hell is he to drape himself over you like some cheap suit...." Sputtered Mulder.

Alex shook his head; he had never seen Mulder this jealous or angry with him before. Alex presumed it was because Mulder lived with a jealous, angry and controlling lover. It was probably a new experience for him to be on the other end of such destructive emotions. He stepped up to the older man and held his hands, stopping the agent's tirade before it could start.

"Fox." Alex said, his voice calm. "Agent Martinez is a married man. He's catholic and has three kids with another on the way. He was not coming on to me."

Mulder choked down his fury, but he was not immediately assuaged. "Well it certainly looked like that from where I was standing."

Alex gave his lover a patient smile. "He's a space vampire. Or that's what we call him." When Mulder shot him a confused look, Alex explained. "Juan is a good guy, but he invades your personal space whenever he talks to you. It's how he is. No one takes it personally anymore, not even the ladies."

Mulder nodded head. Feeling like a real ass now. "I'm sorry. I just did to you what Wal...er...Skinner does to me. That was uncalled for."

Alex smoothed things over even further. "It's okay, Fox." He took a step closer, so that he was within kissing distance of the hazel-eyed agent.

He leaned forward and kissed Mulder gently. The blinds were closed so was the door, and Alex thought that Stebbings wouldn't be back from his meeting with the Director of the bureau until well after lunchtime. One little peck on the lips couldn't hurt.

"I'm a one man guy, it's just you and me in this relationship."

A pang of regret stabbed Mulder in the guts. He wished he could say the same thing.

"I'm such an idiot over reacting that way." Mulder rested his forehead against Alex's for a second.

Alex planted another quick kiss on Mulder then pulled back. His sharp eyes rested on the tiny pale blue bruises on either side of Fox's jaw, so faint was the colour that they could barely be noticed but Alex had seen them. He fingered on of the spots lightly. "You could leave him, Fox. I'll always be here for you."

Fox held one Alex's hand in his own and with his other, he rested against the younger man's cheek. He turned over the extremity that he was holding and kissed the palm softly. "I'm afraid to Alex. He'd ruin you and me along with our careers. I need this job, it's what I do, it's who I am."

Mulder couldn't admit to himself that deep down he did still love Skinner. He knew the relationship was unhealthy, destructive. And somewhere else, buried inside the back of his mind, Fox believed it was what he deserved. Sometimes when he thought of Alex, of how beautiful he was and how, despite the tragedy that was his early life, he had achieved goals from sheer hard work and determination alone.

Alex was so perfect that Fox could barely believe some days that the beautiful green-eyed man would even give him the time of day, let alone hang around waiting for a phone call from him.

Mulder had made the academy because his father was with the state department and had pulled a few strings. All his life, Mulder had felt unworthy. Unworthy of his family's name, unworthy of his job and now, unworthy of his secret lover, Alex. Perhaps not being able to commit to Alex fully, forced to keep Walter Skinner, as a weight around his ankle — was his punishment for all of his personality flaws.

Alex nodded. "I understand, Fox. I know. But he doesn't deserve you." Unaware that Mulder had put him so high up upon the pedestal.

And I don't deserve you. Thought Mulder.

xx

"Krycek? Mulder? What the hell are you two doing in my office?" Jack Stebbings passed the two agents and went to his desk; he sat down wearily wishing for a beer.

The meeting with Director Anderson had not gone well. The Anchorage branch of the bureau needed a profiler assigned to them for a few months, to help with several cold cases, including one possible serial killer. The Director had given him until the end of the day to decide which agent was to go. It would be a difficult decision.

"We were just discussing a case, Jack." Mulder said, casually taking a step back from Alex so that they weren't so close together. "I'm trying to wrap up some loose ends to the Deitweiller case."

"All right. Well, you can get out now. Discuss it at your own desk, Krycek."

"I'm going." Alex turned and left.

"See you around Jack." Mulder shut the door behind himself before Stebbings could reply to him.

Mulder picked up one of the two coffees that he had put down on Alex's desk and said; "I'll phone you later."

"Okay. Ummm...Mulder?" Alex said.

"Yes?"

"Is there a reason why you came by in the first place?"

"No particular reason. I just felt like seeing you, that's all."

Alex nodded; pleased with the answer his lover had given him. "Okay." He stared, unsmiling at Mulder aching to kiss him. His gaze would have to be his kiss for him.

Mulder gave a quick wink and on his way out, he noticed that the handsome agent Martinez, who had so enraged him earlier, was very much a space vampire. The agent was currently draped over another profiler's desk, pointing at some aerial photos.

xx

"Dana. Come in." As the red headed agent entered, Skinner held the door for her. He instructed his secretary to.... "Hold all my calls for the next 30 minutes." His secretary replied and then he shut and locked his office door. "You've got me intrigued, Scully..." He admitted, sitting down.

"What's this all about?"

"It's about Mulder." She stated plainly.

"Oh." Skinner set a large plastic tray of vegetarian sushi in front of Scully and took his tray, which contained fish for himself. "What about him?"

They both opened a set of chopsticks, and while they ate, Dana told Walter all about Fox and Alex.

Throughout the whole telling, Walter had remained silent but inside he was seething with anger. How could Fox? Obviously his threats weren't enough to deter the wandering agent. He was going to have to do something to show Fox who he belonged to.

Dana finished up her monologue. "I clearly heard him say to Krycek, 'I love you' and Krycek answered him with 'And I love you.'" She put down her ginseng juice. "Walter, I've know you a long time, I wouldn't lie to you, especially not about this."

"But why are you telling me this at all Dana?" Despite his anger, he was still hurt by his lover's subterfuge. "Fox is your partner. I would have thought you would have covered things up for him. Tried to protect him"

Scully shook her head. "Because, from the moment Mulder laid eyes on that green-eyed demon he's never been the same. Some how Krycek got under his skin and turned him into someone I don't even know anymore. Fox Mulder used to be honest, open and caring. Now he's a liar, a conniving cheat. That's all Krycek's influence. They need to be separated....And I don't just like the guy. He rubs me the wrong way."

"Listen, Scully, I haven't told Fox yet, I was waiting until after lunch, but in about three hours, the two of you are going to have to leave for Baltimore to sit with our mob witness for a week. Then another pair of agents will take over. Opening statements are in four weeks and another threat has found it's way to him."

Scully nodded, seeing the wisdom in their taking a week. Mulder needed to be apart from Krycek for a while. "I think that would be a good idea." She agreed. "I'd better get my desk cleared so I can go home and pack."

"I know Director Anderson has put it to Stebbings that Anchorage needs a profiler....I think I know who Stebbings should recommend." Skinner said as Scully put her hand on the doorknob.

The red head turned around and eyed her friend. She thought shipping Krycek off to Alaska was an even better idea. "Will you tell Mulder?" She asked.

Skinner wanted nothing more than to punish his two timing lover and his two bit whore..."NO." He said finally. "He'll find out when he gets home."

Scully nodded in understanding, knowing that she herself had no intention of telling her partner that his not so secret lover was about to be quietly transferred in his absence.

Scully walked out of Skinner's office and as soon as his door was shut, Walter put a call into Director Anderson.

xx

One Hour Later

Alex's cell phone chirped out its cheery greeting. "Krycek." He said, still concentrating on the papers before him.

"Hi Alex." Mulder greeted in a hushed tone.

"Hey." Alex purred, surprised, but very pleased to hear his lover's voice so soon again.

"Look, I don't have much time, I've got about an hour to get home and pack. Scully and I are back to sittin' that snitch...you know the one?"

"Yep. I know who you mean." Alex confirmed, frowning.

"Well, Scully and I got the first 7 days of a 4 week stint... Yeah, I'm talking to my landlord Scully... I'll be with you in a few..."

Alex could hear Scully yapping at Mulder in the background.

"I gotta go handsome. I won't be able to talk to you until I get home. I promise I'll phone the second I get back into D.C."

Alex was disappointed, but at least this time Mulder had gotten a chance to let him know what was going on this time. "I'm glad you phoned." Alex hesitated, he knew Mulder had to go, yet he didn't want to say goodbye. "I guess I'll see you when you're back..."

"I love you, Alex. I'll miss you... " Mulder didn't care if someone heard him or not...

"I love you too, Fox... Always."

Stebbings interrupted Alex and Fox's moment. "Krycek!" He yelled, "In my office."

"Stebbings wants to see me." Alex acknowledged his superior with a wave of his and the older man retreated back inside.

"Alex, I can't call you from here on in, until I'm back."

"I know. I understand." Alex could hear the regret in Fox's voice.

"Goodbye Alex."

"'Bye Fox."

Reluctantly, the men hung up.

Mulder grabbed his jacket and sprinted after Scully while at the same time, Alex dropped his cell to top of his desk and went to see what his boss wanted now.

xx

Book One
Part VII

How does it feel?
To treat me like you do.
When you lay your hands upon me,
and told me who you are.
I thought I was mistaken.
I thought I heard your words.
But tell me how do I feel,
tell me now, how do I feel.

How does it feel?
How should I feel?
Tell me how does it feel?
To treat me like you do.
ORGY—'BLUE MONDAY'


"Shut the door." Stebbings commanded, before offering Alex a coffee. One of the perks of being the boss; a cappuccino maker in your office.

"No, thanks." Alex gave his boss a strange look.

Jack did not look happy, not at all.

"Sit down." Stebbings gestured to the chair in front of his desk.

Tentative, Alex sank down slowly. "Why are you being so nice Jack? What's going on?"

"Director Anderson just called me. Effective immediately, you're assigned to the Anchorage branch of the bureau..."

"WHAT!" Yelled Alex, interrupting his boss. Dismayed, he continued to shout. "Anchorage? I can't go to fucking Alaska..." He stood up at that point; green eyes flashing angrily at his superior.

"Agent Krycek!" Jack demanded. "Sit your ass down now!"

Alex narrowed his eyes defiantly, but did as instructed.

"Now, listen to me. Before you get all crazy, Anchorage has a couple of open cold cases on the books. Helping solve any one of them would be a real gold star on your resume..."

Alex was not convinced in the least. There was no way he wanted to leave Mulder or his grandmother.

"...The bureau will fly you there via a company jet next Monday. You'll start Tuesday. You're the man of the hour. Once there, you will be in charge of providing new profiles and psych evaluations..."

"But Sir..." Alex had managed to reign in his anger. "I can't go. I've go my grandmother to consider, an apartment, even my god-dammed cat. I can't just pick up and leave, especially with only one week's notice..."

"The bureau will fly your grandma out every month for a four day visit. Your cat can go with you and Quantico is festering with broke agents who are willing to live in an apartment courtesy of the bureau. We'll look after your mortgage here, but you will be paying for your own habitation in Anchorage. We have a nice penthouse apartment picked out; it's already furnished."

"Ohhh... the bureau has thought of everything, hasn't it?" Alex frowned at his boss.

Jack sighed, "We try Krycek... We try."

"Well, that was nice of them..." Alex commented sarcastically, exaggerating the last word. He crossed his arms in front of his chest, digging his heels in, ready for a fight.

"I still won't accept the transfer, Sir. Give it to Sean Mathews. He's single too and with fewer commitments."

This next bit was the part of the job that Jack hated. Giving bad news was one of the down sides to being the boss.

"Listen, Krycek. I like you. You're a good kid..." Jack noticed that Alex's lips pressed into a thin, offended line at the mention of 'kid'. "... So it hurts me to tell you this. Take the transfer or leave the job. Those are your choices."

"Wh...what?" Sputtered Alex. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "The Director can't force me out!" He was growing angry again.

"Oh yes he can. I'll remind you that you're still on probation for the Washington and Miller shootings from a few months ago. Refusing a direct order is a violation of the probationary ethics and conduct code."

Crestfallen, Alex said softly, "Transfer or I'm out?"

"Yes." Stebbings confirmed, feeling like a total shit.

"I guess I'm off to Alaska then." Alex was dejected. He only hoped that he would have one last chance to see Fox before he had to go.

"Wise move, Krycek." Stebbings arranged some papers in an open folder.

"Am I being punished because of the Washington thing? Is that why the Director has sent me into exile?"

Jack quit his fiddling with the papers. "I don't know." He said honestly. "The director told me to pick a profiler to send. But before I could make my decision, Anderson phoned back and insisted you be the one to go."

"I wonder who planted my name in his ear?" Mused Alex out loud as he stood to go.

"The Director said A.D. Skinner pushed for the move. Strange considering he wanted to crucify you at the disciplinary hearing."

A light bulb flicked on and suddenly everything made sense to Alex now. Who else but Skinner would want him out? Now Alex understood why Mulder was sent out of town so suddenly on a job that he wouldn't normally do. Skinner must have finally found about he and Fox.

But how? And from whom?

Alex decided right then and there that he was going to have it out with the large A.D. But he'd wait until later, when most of the agents were gone for the night.

xx

7:00 PM

After checking with Skinner's secretary to confirm her boss' late hours, Alex formulated a plan.

Now, he stood near the water fountain outside the A.D.'s door. He had a file open - his own in fact—and was studying it, waiting for Skinner's girl to leave. Finally, she walked out of the main office at 7:15. She shut the door firmly behind herself and locked it, then left. As she passed Alex she said, "G'night, agent."

Alex looked up. "Goodnight." He replied, a deceivingly innocent smile pasted to his mouth. He waited until the elevator had started to move before he shut the file, tucked it up under his armpit and went for the locked door. He pulled a pick out from his front pocket and, within seconds, was standing in the A.D.'s outer office. The academy was teaching their students more than just the dress code these days.

Alex figured that the door to Skinner's inner sanctum would not be locked too. The A.D. would assume that he was safe; that no one would dare pass over his thresh hold uninvited. He stood there, with one hand on the brass knob and the file in the other, collecting his anger; trying to smother it with deep breaths. It wasn't working very well however. With one last bite to his bottom lip, Alex turned the knob and stalked into Skinner's office.

The A.D. looked up, surprised to see the agent. He quickly smoothed out his features, giving the younger man a blank canvass to confront.

"We need to talk...Sir." Alex slapped his file down on top of Skinner's desk, letting the AD know that he knew about his part in the transfer.

Alex had never seen the comments from the AD before, the one's referring to the death of Agent Washington and Margaret Miller. The comments were made at the disciplinary hearing and were scathing and inflammatory at best. And it wasn't just Skinner's negative words on his permanent record either, but some other agent named States. She had bad-mouthed him too.

Alex could barely conjure up her face, he certainly hadn't known her before so why she would call his actions the night of the shooting, 'incompetent' and 'unprofessional' was beyond him.

He leaned forward over the desk and put his hands on it, far apart and stared hard at the older man.

Skinner flashed Alex an amused look. "We need to talk do we?"

"Yes." Alex's eyes narrowed with determination.

Skinner dropped his two hundred dollar pen to his desktop and leaned forward in his chair, getting ready. "So talk agent."

"Is this how you deal with your rivals Skinner? Transfer the competition ? That way you won't lose him to another?"

Skinner knew who 'him' was.

Walter kept his cool, for the time being. "Yes." He answered honestly. Pleased to see that the younger man was not afraid of him. Oh, but he would be, soon. Hurting the defiant agent would be so very pleasurable. His surprise at being over powered that much more delectable.

"Face it, old man..." Hissed Alex, "...Fox loves me. He may be afraid of you, but I'm not!"

"Well, you should be!" Skinner sprung up from his leather chair and lightening quick, reached over and grabbed Alex by the back of his neck. He slammed the younger agent's head into his desk top, cracking Alex's forehead against the hard oak and momentarily stunning the un-prepared agent.

Still clutching Alex's neck painfully, his strong fingers in between the corded muscles; Skinner rounded his desk, not easing up on the agent at all.

Alex's head started to clear; he couldn't quite believe that the AD had actually done that to him. Alex knew the man had a penchant for violence, but never dreamed the AD would turn on him at the office.

Skinner felt Alex's muscles tighten, ready to fight, so he yarded the young agent's head up again, this time by the hair and brought it down again.

Krycek managed to turn his head just before his nose smashed into the polished wood. His left cheekbone, connected painfully instead with the raised leather corner of Skinner's blotter.

"Agghh." Alex grunted with just as much frustration as pain. He struggled to rise, but Skinner's weight stretched out over his smaller frame, it was impossible to dislodge the man.

Skinner snaked one meaty arm out and grabbed Alex's left wrist. He wrested the agent's arm behind his back and pushed it up.

Alex let out another bellow of outrage.

"I'll break it, Krycek." Threatened Skinner. "I'll fucking snap it like a god dammed cinnamon stick. So shut up!" He pushed Alex's arm, right to the very limit and kept up the pressure even after the agent had ceased squirming.

"You little shit. How dare you try to take what's mine!" Skinner's body continued to hold Alex down.

Alex's air was slowly squeezing out of him. He ceased struggling not because he had been ordered to but because his lungs demanded that he stop using up his oxygen.

"You can't keep what you don't have, Skinner. Mulder only stayed with you because you had him brainwashed. A typical case of battered wife's syndrome, except that it was happening to a man. You're all he thought he deserved. But then..."

Alex's voice was breathy, and he was having a hard time pulling air into his lungs, but he was determined to say his piece.

"...he ...he met me and knew that things could be better. You held him to you by threatening me. But in the end Skinner, you couldn't keep us apart because Fox had to follow his heart and his heart beats only for me..."

Alex could feel Skinner doing something behind his back, but he didn't know what. Then, he felt a cold metal bracelet circle his wrist. The cuff was squeezed tightly and Alex winced, Skinner reached out and forced his other arm behind his back and squeezed the metal shut, clamped so firmly that Alex already could feel the tingle from interrupted circulation. The cuffs dug in painfully.

Skinner stretched out over top of Alex again and it was then that the agent felt the other man's considerable erection as it bumped into the crack of his ass.

"I'm gonna hurt you so bad, boy...you should have listened to Fox. He knows from experience that I never make idle threats." Skinner slammed his groin into Alex's ass. The action pushed the younger agent forward on the desk, giving his already bruised cheekbone a wood burn.

Red and raw accented the growing blue stain.

"I'm going to give you a little going away present..." Skinner deftly undid Alex's dress pants. He pushed the soft material over the younger man's firm mounds and then gravity pulled them the rest of the way down to the agent's ankles.

"Don't you dare!" Hissed Alex, frightened, really frightened for the first time. Maybe Fox was right. Skinner would kill him for his trespasses. Rape him, then murder him. Who would ever know?

"Oh, I'll dare all right! I'll take from you, what you wanted to steal from me." The AD undid his own pants. "Dana was right about you. You are a thief!"

"DANA? What has she got to do in all of this?" For an instant, confusion overcame Alex's fear.

Skinner spit into his hand and rubbed his hand up his cock, his erection was positively throbbing. "She saw the two of you at MY apartment. The next morning when you were leaving. Fox had the nerve to fuck you in MY BED! MY BED!" He dug one finger into Alex's rectum.

"Oh shit." Alex said, then he yelled in pain as the digit violated him. His body lurched forward, trying to get out of the path of pain. "Get off of me Skinner, right now, while you still have a chance. I'll report this and I'll report you.."

Skinner replied to Alex's threat by jamming in another fat finger to keep his other company. "No, you won't. It's your word against mine, Alex." He plunged his fingers brutally in and out of the agent's depths. "We're just two men acting out a rough sex fantasy. I'll tell them you wanted me to attack you, that it was a game. You're on probation, boy—I'm an A.D..." He readied himself with bloody fingers, "...with commendations. It will sound like bitter grapes to the cops. They don't care about two fags playing rough games, Krycek." The anger crazed AD forced his way into Alex's opening, indifferent that he was hurting the restrained agent.

All he did care about was that Alex had somehow stolen Fox away from him, from right under his nose and now he aimed to take him back.

"Fox is going to hear about this." Tried Alex, his threat was weak though.

Skinner did not reply, he pushed himself the rest of the way in.

Alex screamed, really screamed. The intrusion was like nothing he had ever felt before, nothing. Nerve numbing burning pain shot through him.

Because he was a profiler, Alex had read reports that when a person is violated, sodomized, the pain is comparable to nothing. Not even childbirth according to one woman. At the time, while studying, Alex could only imagine what the victims, male and female of anal rape had gone through and what it had felt like.

Too bad that now he knew from experience.

Alex was rapidly losing his grip on reality. His vision had begun to blacken around the fringes; lack of oxygen and a considerable lump on the head both contributed. These things, plus what Skinner was doing to him, made Alex's body and mind want to give up.

In the end, the trauma of the assault won out and Alex's mind started to shut down.

Just before the lights went out completely, Skinner grabbed Alex by the hair and into his sweat soaked face, he sneered, "Be sure to tell Fox what a good time we had!"

The agent blinked, barely comprehending the large A.D. Then, his green eyes rolled backwards and he was gone. Skinner released Alex's hair and the agent's head thumped to the desk top; he was too far gone to care that Alex was no longer fighting him. He simply finished up what he had started.

xx

When Alex came to, he was sitting in his car in the Bureau's underground parking lot. His head ached in time with his burning ass and Alex, for a few seconds, didn't know where he was. Once recognition dawned, he started his engine and took off for home.

How thoughtful of the bastard... Though Alex angrily, ...to remember to dress me afterwards!

He sped along, the digital clock in his car read 8:02 PM. So he hadn't been out long then, perhaps only fifteen minutes or so. The instinct to get home was overwhelming and Alex pushed on the gas a little bit harder.

xx

9:00 PM

Back at the apartment Alex slammed his door shut and quickly locked it, double-checking it to be sure he had done it properly. He leaned against the door and sighing heavily, he rubbed at his eyes with the heels of his hands. Even they hurt.

Visions of Skinner—erect and sneering—invaded him.

...Be sure to tell Fox what a good time we had!...played over and over again in his mind, like a needle hung up on a scratched record, the verse doomed to repeat it's self over and over again, until someone intervened.

He could feel Skinner's spunk seeping out into his shorts and suddenly, Alex could no longer bear to be in the clothes he was wearing.

Like him; they were soiled forever.

He ran to his bedroom bathroom and leaned over the toilet, gagging and retching though nothing of consequence came up.

xx

A little while later, Alex stood shirtless, in front of his medicine chest mirror and stared down at the bruised and abraded, angry red marks that circled both of his wrists.

That bastard raped me, I should phone the cops... He continued to stare at the marks. Let justice take it's course...

Alex slowly brought his eyes up and met his own sad reflection. He took in his scraped forehead and bruised and scratched cheekbone. Gingerly he touched both spots and winced at the soreness. His neck had thumb print bruises almost the whole way around with a hickey at the top of his left shoulder to round the marks out.

It certainly looks like I was fighting back.

Skinners words, I'll tell them I was fulfilling your fantasy. That you wanted to be taken by force. Two men acting out a rough sex fantasy... Came back to haunt him, echoing in his eardrums.

Alex stared at himself for a second more then finished undressing.

Skinner's right. No one will believe me.

With his suit lying in a pile near the toilet, Alex stood naked, listening to his shower run. Finally, he parted the curtain and stepped into the overly hot spray. Doing what most sexual assault victims did. Showering away the DNA evidence; showering away their rapist's essence.

He scrubbed at his body roughly, with a soapy loofa, trying to suds away Skinner's touch, his spittle and his smell.

Finally satisfied, Alex stepped out of the shower. He pulled on flannel Marvin the Martian pajamas, one's he only ever used when he was sick in bed and then covered them up with a thick, black velour robe.

xx

Alex gathered up his whole suit. From the jacket to the socks, tie and underwear, and put everything into a brown paper bag.

In his living room, he built a fire and as the wood caught, he stared into the orange flames, drinking Irish whisky and reliving the assault, in slow motion; one frame at a time.

Satisfied that his fire was big enough, Alex sat the paper bag atop of the burning birch and then set up the screen in front securely. Then he went to stand out on his deck, taking his bottle of booze with him. Alex refilled his tumbler and as the last of the evidence of what had happened to him cremated; he cried.

Cried for what had happened, cried because he knew he couldn't tell Fox and cried because now for sure, he was going to have to leave.

Skinner had seen to that in more ways than one.

xx

A Few Days Later

Transferred.

April couldn't believe it. Her beautiful agent, Alex, had been transferred to Alaska. She had already followed the agent from New York to D.C. But there was no way she could afford to move to Alaska. Though she wanted to follow her lover desperately, April couldn't leave her brother either.

No one else in the whole family bothered visiting Turner anymore. Only her. At first, she was afraid of her much older brother, because of the horribly violent crime that he had been accomplice too.

But then, she saw a picture of the boy that Turner could not murder, his beauty compared to none other and April had immediately understood why her brother had spared the life of the young Alex Krycek.

It would have been tantamount to killing one of god's favoured angels.

From that day on, brother and sister, ten years apart in age, had something in common. Both loved the same boy, now a man.

And both had the same undiagnosed mental illness. A secret to all, even the sufferers.

April pulled an old book that she had found at a garage sale from a canvass bag, 'The art of bomb building' read the title. The book was from the forties, when no one much cared what one was cooking up in the privacy of their basement.

The young woman figured that if she studied this book and others like it, then she could master the art of bombing and eventually, lure Alex back to the city.

At least with the transfer, Agent Mulder would no longer be an obstacle. It was about time that big bald dude figured out what his 'man' was up to on his lunch hours.

Done musing, April bent her head to the task at hand. She might not be able to prevent Alex from leaving, but sure as shit, she knew a way to bring him back! Nothing would stop her from getting Alex Krycek.

xx

Sunday

Fox rode the elevator up to Alex's apartment impatiently. The normally fast ride seemed to take forever. Finally the doors creaked open and Fox slid out. He had just arrived back in town and he immediately went right over to Alex's apartment. It was 9:30 Sunday morning, where else would Alex be but home? Mulder hadn't bothered phoning, so confident was he. He knocked on the door and then twisted the knob. It was unlocked. Mulder entered then shut the door quietly behind him.

"Alex." He called, walking down the hall. Fox wondered why the pictures that Alex had hanging in the hall were gone. He stepped into the living room.

There was Alex, sitting in a large wing chair cuddling, with Chester, the cat. "Alex." Fox said again.

Alex's eyes snapped up and Chester, wary of everyone except Alex, hissed then made his get away, lest the strange man dare to pet him. The cat was mad at his owner anyway for forcing a pill down his throat.

Alex allowed Chester to run away, he could find him later in one of his many hiding spots. The young agent stood up and walked right into Fox's waiting arms. He inhaled his scent deeply. "Oh fox. Thank god, you're back. I though I was going to miss saying good bye."

"WHAT HAPPENED, ALEX!?" When Fox had left, Alex was in perfect condition. Now his lover was black and blue. Mulder squeezed Krycek tightly and kissed his neck. Pulling back, he asked, "What do you mean miss saying goodbye? What's going on here?"

"Come and sit down, we need to talk." Alex led Fox to the couch while he sat on the bare coffee table right in front of him. Holding his lover's hands, Alex said softly, "I've been transferred."

Horrified, Fox shouted, "What? How? Why?" He jumped up, but Alex, still holding his hands in his own, guided the upset agent back down.

"If you let me finish, Fox, I'll tell you all about it." Alex waited until his lover had nodded before going on. "After I talked to you, just before you left, Jack called me into his and told me that the Director ordered me to be sent to Anchorage. They're desperate for a profiler to come out and help with some cold cases."

"And you accepted?" Mulder couldn't believe that Alex was really going to leave him. He swept his eyes around the living room. Now he knew why the pictures in the hall were missing. In fact, every picture, personal effect and knick-knack was packed up. Only Alex's furniture remained, but without the little things arranged all around, the apartment looked empty. His eyes rested on a small duffle bag and an empty carry case for Chester.

"I had no choice, Fox. I'm on probation; to refuse the transfer would be an act of insubordination. Director Anderson gave me two choices. Take the job and with it a pay increase plus possible commendations for my jacket or don't take it and leave the bureau. I'm only twenty-eight, Fox; my career is just getting started. I'm not ready to throw it away yet."

"So you're going, for sure?" Asked Fox. He was still wondering about the fading bruises and scrapes marring Alex's face. He figured that Alex would get around to telling him about the marks. Fox assumed it was all part of the same story. Luckily, Alex was wearing a thick, cabled knit sweater, so Mulder did not see the angry rings circling around his neck and wrists.

"Yes, Fox. I'm really going. There's a few other details to this whole mess that I have to tell you and you're not going to like them."

"Tell me." Fox gave Alex's cold hands and encouraging squeeze.

"The reason why Anderson wanted me to go is because Skinner pushed for it."

"BASTARD!" Cried Fox angrily.

"Oh there's a lot more than that to this story..."

"Go on."

"Scully knew before you two left for New York City that I would be the one going to Alaska. The two of you, taking that assignment was just part of the set up, to get us apart...permanently." Alex whispered, 'permanently'. But it was loud enough for Fox to hear.

"How do you know this?" Mulder couldn't believe that Scully wouldn't have told him.

"Jack's secretary ate lunch with Skinner's secretary. She told her, she thought that Stebbings would be interested in knowing, then he told me. Also, Scully told Skinner about us. Which is why I find myself in the position that I am, in the first place." Alex could see the conflicting emotions in his lover's eyes.

"I can't... can't... believe it." Mulder felt betrayed, how could his own partner do that to him? "How do you know it was her?" Mulder tried one more time to un-convince himself of the ugly truth.

"When I confronted Skinner after Jack told me that I had to leave, he...kicked the crap out of me and told me so, right in the middle of the fight." Alex touched the spot on his forehead.

The memories of the other night stood out stark and alone in his thoughts.

The scrapes were bleak reminders of his inability to fight off the angered older man. Now he knew how Fox had felt at times. Skinner's strangle hold had broadened to include Alex as well.

"Walter did that to you?" Mulder had gone from hurt and betrayed to completely angry in mere milliseconds. It was one thing for the man to pound on him, but quite another all together for someone, especially Skinner to lay even one finger on Alex.

Alex saw the emotions change yet again. He felt Mulder's hands clamp down on his own. "Yes." He admitted finally. He lowered his gaze suddenly unable to look his lover directly in the eyes.

"What is it?" Mulder asked. Leaning forward, he immediately knew that there was something else, on top of all of the other crap, wrong with his lover.

"Nothing." Alex replied softly.

Fox could tell from the hesitation alone that there was. "Yes, there is, Alex. Tell me what else."

Alex contemplated for a few seconds. He brought his eyes up and met Mulder's. "I'm... he... ra..." Alex couldn't say it.

He just couldn't.

"I'm just really embarrassed that he got the better of me. That's all. I didn't think he'd attack me that quickly. I thought there'd be some warning." Not a lie, but certainly not the whole truth either.

Mulder nodded with understanding. He'd been caught many times off guard by Walter's actions. Mulder sighed heavily. His lover, in his absence had been beaten up and transferred and for what? Just because Mulder wanted a man who could not say no to him.

"What are we going to do, Alex?" Fox didn't want to face the inevitable.

Alex was crestfallen. Just by Mulder's tone he knew his lover would not leave Skinner and Scully despite what they had done to him and transfer to Alaska with him. Alex wondered why for all of these months, he had not faced reality sooner. Mulder, like his last boyfriend, loved his body and his face, but not him, truly. The truth cut Alex.

"I guess we make a clean break here and now. You go your way and I'll go mine. No hard feelings." Alex straightened his back and shoulders.

"Is that what you want, Alex?"

"No, Fox. It's not what I want. If I had my way, I wouldn't have been ordered out of town in the first place. But..." Tears welled up in Alex's eyes, despite his trying to control them. "... You don't love me enough to leave Skinner and come with me and I love you too much to beg you to go." The tears fell, leaving a wet trail in their wake. Suddenly Alex jumped up. He brushed the tears away, ashamed he had let Mulder see him this way ... yet again.

He should have just saved himself the heartache and not got involved with Mulder at all.

"Alex...please...You know I love you..." Pleaded Mulder.

"I know you think that you love me... and in your own way I suppose you do. But obviously not enough..."

Mulder cut Alex off.

"Alex... I..."

"Don't Fox. You better go, Fox." Alex knuckled his wet, itchy eyes. "Now." Alex said, before he could change his mind and beg Mulder to fly to Alaska with him. He stalked to the door and held it open.

Mulder followed closely behind. Before stepping over the threshold and out of Alex's life for good, he stopped and put his hand up to Alex's cheek. "My beautiful Alex. I'm sorry it had to end like this."

"Me too." Alex covered Fox's hand with his own, then he pulled it away and Mulder followed suit. Drawing away the lone tear that was left over, with his thumb. Then he walked out the door and Alex shut it softly.

Mulder leaned against the wood, thinking.

Why couldn't I do it? Leave everything behind and go with him. Because your a coward that's why!

Mulder brought his thumb to his mouth and sucked the drop of moisture. The tear was salty, and it was his last taste of the best thing to ever have happened to him.

Why can't I be strong like him?

Mulder pushed away from the door and walked down the hall slowly, like a man being led down death row.

xx

Alex leaned against the door, knowing full well that Mulder was on the other side doing the very same thing.

He told himself that he had done the right thing by breaking up with Fox. That long distance affairs did not last. It was better this way.

Alex shrugged, maybe he'd meet someone in Alaska, someone who wasn't afraid to be seen with him in public.

Yeah right!

Alex was wrung out and he still had a full day of traveling to do. He glanced down at his watch, it was time to go. He went to find his hiding cat.

"Chester... Kitty... Kitty..."

xx

Skinner And Mulder's Apartment

Walter, just home from a day at the gym, wrapped his arms around Fox's waist from behind and hugged him tightly. "You're home finally."

Mulder stiffened in the older man's arms. How could Skinner be acting like nothing at all had happened? He elbowed his way from Walter's embrace. Turning around he said, "I'll be out of here soon." Then he zipped the shaving kit he had been packing.

Skinner's smile immediately converted to a frown. "Just where do you think you're going?" He took a look around and saw that Fox's top drawer was open and empty. The agent's things from his dresser top were gone too.

"I'm going to a hotel." Replied Mulder neutrally.

Before Fox could leave the room however, Skinner grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the wall. "I told you before...babe...you're not going anywhere. If this is about Krycek, I did you a favor."

Mulder pushed Skinner away from himself. "Yeah, you and Scully did me a favor all right." He rubbed some circulation back into the flesh at his neck. He could already feel the tell tale burn of a bruise forming at the sides where Walter's fingers and thumb had been.

"Alex left me. Now I'm leaving you, Walter. It doesn't matter that he won't be here anymore to tempt me. I'm tired of living the way I have been living for the last two years. You sending Alex away shows me just who you really are. I'm not going to take your abuse any more." Mulder stalked out of the bedroom into the living room. He pocketed his wallet and keys.

Skinner followed him out. He couldn't believe Mulder was really going to leave him. He would have knocked some sense into the agent like he usually did but something about Fox's demeanor kept him from doing so.

"Alex showed me that I was easy to love and that hurting each other didn't have to be part of the equation." Fox pulled on his jacket. "I've already sent my other things ahead to where I'm staying and if you're thinking about stopping me from going, don't. Because if you so much as lay another finger on me I'll file a report of stalking and a sexual harassment against you. With the bureau, and the local P.D. I don't care if the whole world knows I'm gay. I'm not afraid any more Walter... of you or the bureau. We're through for good!"

He started for the door.

Skinner just stared at Fox. Then out of spite and anger he grabbed Fox by the arm and prevented him from leaving.

"Did Alex tell you about him and myself?" He sneered.

Fox flicked his gaze to where Walter's hand was, then back to Walter's face, unafraid. "He said you attacked him, that you beat him up." Suddenly Fox was angry again, pissed off at what Walter had done to Alex; who was the only innocent party in all of this. He yanked his arm out of Skinner's grip and started for the door.

The A.D.'s cold calm voice stopped him in his tracks but he did not turn around.

"Did he tell you about how I did him over my desk after I beat the shit out of him?" Skinner smiled cruelly at Fox's back.

Mulder slowly pivoted around to face Skinner. "Did him?"

"Yep. I held him down and stuck my cock up his ass. He screamed and howled at the indignity of it all. But it didn't matter, I took what I wanted from him anyway." He could see that he was finally getting to Fox. "His ass was sooo... tight. It didn't take me long fill his bowels up with my spunk..."

"YOU BASTARD!" Mulder couldn't take any more. The mere thought of Skinner violating him in such a grotesque manner enraged him. He slammed his fist into Skinner's face. The force of the punch sent him backwards, but not down.

The larger man dabbed at the blood seeping from his right nostril.

"I guess he didn't tell you." He said, smiling heartlessly at Fox.

Fox composed himself. He spoke icily. "Don't talk to me... ever. Not at my home, not even at work. You're dead to me Walter. Dead." Mulder spun around on his heel and left Walter Skinner. This time for good.

xx

Monday Morning

"What are you doing Mulder?" Scully placed her briefcase on her desk.

"I'm changing desks with Klein." Mulder put the last of his things in the heavy-duty cardboard box.

"Why?" Scully asked. Though she thought she knew the answer already.

"Because I'm pissed at you, Scully. And I don't want to be around you right now."

"But Mulder..." She tried.

But he cut off her forthcoming excuse. "You breeched our partnership."

"If this is about me telling Skinner about you and Alex Krycek, that's your fault..."

"No..." Mulder hissed unwilling to make a scene in the pen in front of the other agents. "...This about you and Skinner conspiring together to split Alex and I up. I know that you knew Alex was being transferred. One whole week you knew Scully, yet you never breathed a word to me. You just sat by and kept hoping he would be gone by the time we got back."

Scully made a face, and tried to deny the truth but Mulder wouldn't let her.

"I got your number now...partner. Which is why I'm switching. I'm going to work with Simmons for the next while and Klein will be with you." He picked up his box.

"Mulder, is this separation for good? Will we work together again?"

Mulder hesitated. "I don't know, Scully. I can't trust you anymore. I don't know if I ever will again." He turned and walked away, toward his new desk and his new partner.

Scully stared after him, cursing Alex Krycek's existence.

xx

Tuesday Morning
Anchorage

James Houghton closed Alex's personal file. He smiled at the young agent. There was no mention as to how the handsome young man could have gotten the fading bruises. It must have been personal, so James left the question unasked. "Well, I'm sure you must feel like your being punished, being sent up here, but I assure you, we're grateful for your presence."

Alex returned the grin. He was here now, and there was no point in moping over the fact.

He had decided to take Jack Stebbings advice and put everything he had into the cases. He could use a commendation in his jacket to balance out the reprimand.

"I'm happy to be here." He said, it was only a half lie. "This is a chance for me to be removed from the shit list, and if I help solve a crime or two all the more the better."

Houghton laughed. He appreciated the agent's candor.

xx

As the A.D.I.C and Krycek talked, six of the eight FBI agents gathered at the large meeting table. There were four male and four female agents working for the bureau in Anchorage. Their ages ranged from 33 to 45.

They sat at an end of a 12 person table, the two men of the group, were seated in their usual spots, across from the four women. They sat back and listened as the women made a fuss over the new guy who was visible through the large glass windows surrounding Houghton's office.

"God, I'd love to get me some of that." Said Mavis, the oldest of the ladies at 45.

All of the female agents were busy starring dreamily at the young agent, whose name they did not know.

"Me too." Confirmed Sandra, sighing softly. At 35, she was the youngest of all the women agents.

"I certainly wouldn't kick him out of my bed for eating cookies." Susan, single, stated bravely and she meant it too.

Inez, the other single female agent tossed in a cheeky, "Hell, I'd feed him cookies in my bed."

All four women giggled in unison.

"If Wray and I talked that way about a new, young female agent, you four would be all over us." Commented Dave, a married agent pushing 46.

"Yeah." Wray teased. "The bureau discourages sexual harassment. From either gender."

"Ohhh... Pull-eeze..." Mavis replied. "Women are allowed to objectify men, it's a well known double standard." She cast her eyes back to the dark haired man.

"Oh pooh... You two are just jealous. It's just a little harmless ogling..." Stated Sandra.

"..of a seriously gorgeous man..." Susan finished Sandra's sentence.

"He gives the male of the species a good name..." Inez put in.

Another round of giggling took place.

"I'm sure Mavis and Sandy say those very same things about their husbands. You haven't forgotten have you?" Dave said, mock seriousness in his tone. "That you both are married."

A civilian secretary passed the group of agents, she was delivering a sheath of reports to the cloistered men. She rapped and entered the office.

Alex rose from his chair when Houghton introduced him to the secretary and shook the woman's hand.

Just as Alex stood, two more agents entered. Simon was Asian, short and serious. The other agent, Tom, up to Alex's arrival, had been the youngest and best looking in the office.

"And god created man..." Mavis murmured.

"Ho-ho-ho...A mighty oak grows among a stand of low lying shrubs." Quipped Wray.

At 6' 2", Alex was taller than every other agent at the office. "Oh—my—god!" Cried Tom excitedly. "He's wearing a Hugo Boss suit." Tom was totally in awe of the beautiful suit., always a clothes horse himself; he could appreciate the agent's choice of wardrobe.

"I bet he looks killer in bike shorts." Susan murmured, appreciatively. "I can't wait until the summer Bar-B-Que."

"Really... Do we not have anything better to discuss at the water cooler than the new agent in the next cubicle?" Dave asked the group, feeling just a little bit jealous.

"NO." Said all seven agents altogether. Then they broke out into laughter.

xx

Alex turned his head toward the noise on the other side of the glass and saw the agents laughing with each other, and relaxed a little. He was beginning think that he might just fit in after all. The people here seemed more friendlier than the agents back in D.C.

xx

The secretary left the office, and as she passed by, Inez stopped her.

"Details, Amy." She insisted.

"Oh—my—god! He's like soooo gorgeous." Bubbled the young woman as she talked. "His eyes are like... the most divine shade of green..." Amy blushed. "He's like so tall and dreamy... oh... he smells yummy! His cologne..."

"I take it GQ agent is the new profiler we've been begging the bureau for?" Interrupted Simon, pulling out the empty chair between Mavis and the chair at the head of the table, where Houghton usually sat.

"Oh yesss...he's been transferred from Washington. He's only 28..." Amy said in a conspirating tone. "His name is Alex. I think he was in a car accident or something because up close you can see a few marks..."

Just then, the office door opened and the men came out.

Amy beat a hasty retreat. The mere presence of the agent flustered her.

"Sit there and die..." Warned Mavis quietly to Simon.

Simon stared, confused, at his partner. "I always sit here." He said with a frown.

"Not today, you don't." Mavis gave Simon an exaggerated grin.

"I think she wants the new boy next to her." Wray added softly, giving a small chuckle afterwards.

"Damn straight I do." The woman confirmed.

"Fine." Simon ground out, going to sit at the other end of the table.

"Everyone." The A.D.I.C said. Alex was standing to the man's left. "This is Agent Alex Krycek. He's the profiler I've been asking for. Hopefully he will be able to help us put a few of our more difficult cases to bed."

"Alex..." Houghton turned to agent. "...this is..."

xx

With each introduction of the other agents, Alex walked around the table and shook each of their hands and greeted them with a "Nice to meet you." Not realizing how much it thrilled the ladies that he did so.


After the formalities were through, Alex pulled out an empty chair at the head of the table, exactly opposite to where Houghton was sitting. He settled himself, then readied his mechanical pencil, ready to take notes during the discussion of the cases that he was here to help with.

Alex did not notice Mavis frown at the seating arrangements, nor did he see the triumphant smile Simon shot to his partner; for he was sitting to the new agent's immediate left.

THE END OF BOOK ONE

xx

A NOTE FOR THE READER.
This is the last chapter of Book one.
I want to remind all readers that I do not have any knowledge as to the real inner workings of the FBI, therefore, everything is made up. Please keep that in mind. I want to give you fair **WARNING** that the following chapter contains an explicit and graphic rape scene. Therefore, if you do not want to read it, please skip the text under the 7:00 PM and scroll right to the A FEW DAYS LATER:.
Please don't read this and be offended then e-mail telling me I'm too graphic...you were warned. I would like to thank Sarah and Ursula for the great beta, and special thanks for this chapter go out to Lexi...who gave me an idea and let me use it...I'll be back with Book two soon.
Thanks.

Demi-X

Book Two

pansy64@hotmail.com

This is an A.U. series featuring Fox Mulder/Alex Krycek. It takes place in Washington D.C. and the premise is that Mulder and Scully are partners in the fictional Serial Crimes Unit of the F.B.I.
Alex Krycek is a young, energetic agent brand new to the bureau's profiling department.
Walter Skinner is an A.D. with several agents under him..most notably Fox Mulder.
However, a chance meeting between Mulder and Krycek leads to an illicit but passionate love affair that could ruin both of their careers.
In the halls of an old building, amidst murder and mayhem, two people who only want to be together take a tumultuous voyage through life.
There are no spoilers, as this is an A.U. series. I have no knowledge how life in the police force/ F.B.I really works, there fore everthing is made up. From investigative techniques to attending a briefing. It's just easier to make such things up. However, some facts I have confirmed, like bluejays do live in the D.C area.
Thanks Kest ;-)
Now,I'd like to take the time to tell you that this series is NC-17 for language, disturbing content and sexual situations between two men.
Any recognizable characters are owned by Chris Carter and 1013 productions; the rest are mine.
These story's are just for fun, no money was made for writing the following bodies of work.
No infringements on copyrights held is intended.
All flames will be posted and laughed at by others.
I'd like to give deepest thanks to Sarah and Ursula for beta-reading this. Any and all mistakes are mine.
Demi-X
Questions? Comments? e-mail me pansy64@hotmail.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]