Go to notes and disclaimers


The Alliance
by Czara (Nicole)

Chapter Eight
The Clones


Come to me, run to me
Do and be done with me
(cold cold cold)
Don't I exist for you
Don't I still live for you
(cold cold cold)
Everything I possess given with tenderness
Wrapped in a ribbon of glass
Time it may take us but God only knows
How I paid for those things in the past

Dying is easy it's living that scares me death
I could be so content hearing the sound of your breath
Cold is the color of crystal the snowlight
That falls from the heavenly skies
Catch me and let me dive under
For I want to swim in the pools of your eyes

I want to be with you baby, slip me inside of your heart
Don't I belong to you baby
Don't you know that nothing can tear us apart
Come on now come on now come on now
Telling you that I loved you right from the start—
But the more I want you the less I get
Ain't that just the way things are—
—Annie Lennox "Cold"

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Nineteen
Hour 2300

Skinner sensed the impatience in Garren as they walked further from the camp. He stopped near the small river's edge and watched as Garren's eyes roamed the bank, a flicker of unease in his tropical eyes. Though there was little light now, neither man had any difficulty seeing. The stars were as bright as Skinner had ever seen them, even as a child staring up to watch for shooting stars or better yet, satellites. He stared up for several minutes, seeking the serenity of his youth but not finding even a whisper of it.

"Ascendant." Garren growled. "Are you deliberately keeping me waiting?"

Skinner nearly smiled at the warning tone. For one who had followed Murdoch around like a tame puppy for countless centuries, Garren was certainly sure of his own position.

"No. Just thinking about how to begin," Skinner said quietly, reflectively.

"Best to start at the beginning and do it now! I would like to see my mate for more than one quick look."

"He is what I want to speak to you about... one of the things anyway." Skinner turned to face Garren, standing far enough away so that he didn't have to crane his neck up to see the huge man's youthful face. A face of angelic beauty.

Garren frowned. "You are not going to keep me from him, Ascendant. I am warning you. I will not tolerate... "

"No. No I am not."

Garren frowned. He hadn't really expected to win this easily. The ascendant, Skinner, was a powerful man, not one who would give up so easily. The faint glow of red in the man's eyes reminded Garren that this was no fatted calf led easily to the kill. He was immediately suspicious. "You accept my claim then?"

"I do." Skinner kept his eyes focused on Garren's and let none of his remorse show.

Garren's frown deepened. "Is this trickery?"

"No. I will concede him to you... if you will make certain he is safe."

Garren narrowed his eyes. "Do you insult me? I will always keep him safe. More safe than you have kept Fox."

Skinner held back his anger. It wouldn't do to jump at any insult, especially ones that were shaded with such truth.

"Then I charge you with his safety, Garren. Go! Take him tonight." Skinner held his breath. What if the wolf didn't care for Alex as deeply as Skinner suspected he did? What if Garren took up his offer and left with Alex, unmindful of the bond between Fox and Alex?

Garren looked surprised. "Leave with him?"

Skinner looked impatient. "Yes. Do you think I want a reminder of my failure? That I couldn't keep both him and Fox from Murdoch?"

"What does Murdoch have to do with this? He wants your Fox."

"He wanted Alex too. Or do you forget why you broke with Murdoch?"

Garren shook his head. "No, I do not forget. But he hasn't come for either of them."

"Except in Fox's dreams... you knew Murdoch had such power didn't you?"

Garren took a deep breath. "He takes him to the dark place from which we all come... it is no dream. He has taken Fox there already?" He was concerned, though didn't show it. If Murdoch were to take Alex there, there would be nothing he could do... not until Alex woke on his own or by some other force and he would be forced to watch the whole thing. He felt his blood chill and the hairs on the back of his neck rose just at the image of that. His eyes blazed with anger and he shook his head.

"You smelled his blood," Skinner hissed. "Murdoch did that to him. I cannot protect them both and the Gunmen too. Not and do my duty to balance things. So take Alex, but know this. If you harm him I will come after you, Garren. And your wolves will not save you."

Garren was still contemplating Murdoch when what Skinner had said sank in. "You will give me Fox to take with Alex?"

Skinner laughed. "You are kidding aren't you?" He laughed again. "Wolves have senses of humor after all."

"Alex is attached to Fox," Garren pointed out, trying to sound reasonable and sounding impatient instead.

"Yes, well, he'll just have to suffer, for I am not giving you Fox as well. Don't ask again." Skinner made as if to move away, but Garren took his arm.

"Are you trying to manipulate me into something, Ascendant? You know I will not make Alex suffer," his voice was coming close to a hiss for all its bass.

"Manipulate? I give you Alex and ask you to leave. How is that a manipulation? Don't you want him?"

Garren growled then. "You know Alex will not want to leave Fox. He will... he will not be happy, Ascendant." Garren was frowning furiously at Skinner.

Skinner felt some hope now. It was obvious that Alex was not just some beautiful trophy to the pack leader. It made things easier to bear. A bit. "And I am not giving you Fox. You better think of something, Garren"

Garren shook his head. "I will travel with you then. Alex will not be upset if he can have Fox around. This would not bother me overly much." He sounded arrogant when he said this, as if he was deigning to let Skinner into his presence.

"I cannot trust you, Garren," Skinner said quietly. "You are still loyal to Murdoch. And he is my enemy. If he gains in power, then everything I love is in jeopardy. More, you know it and do nothing about it."

Garren smiled a bit then. "So this is what this is about. You want me to turn away completely from Murdoch and you think to buy this with something that already belongs to me. I am not a fool, Skinner. I have been alive longer than your civilization, you cannot think to trick me. Do not try to manipulate me."

Skinner had to smile then. Garren was a surprise. "You are right, I did try to manipulate you. Let me be frank."

"It is time," Garren agreed, his eyes narrowed.

"I seek to protect what is mine. Also I seek to aid my brothers who challenge Murdoch. You know why I do. It has been pointed out to me that to be successful I need you. So I made a decision. A concession."

Garren tilted his head. "It was a risk, for as I have said, Alex is mine already. You concede that, yes. But, you would have been forced to anyway. I see that as no incentive to join you. I, unlike you, have no need for allies against Murdoch. I can protect what is mine, and I have no cares or worries about your brothers. Don't mistake me for one of the good guys, Skinner."

Skinner shrugged, "I didn't mistake your intent or your history. I simply thought to risk that you cared enough for Alex. Perhaps I was wrong. In any case, if you are not an ally then you are an enemy. I do not travel with enemies."

"You are a fool, Skinner. I need not be your enemy. I simply find no reason to turn on Murdoch. It is not a reason to take Fox from my mate!" He was pacing now, his irritation clear. "I will give you my word that I will not aid Murdoch in any way." He smiled to himself then. Skinner would surely accept that. He had to. He could not face the heartbreak taking Alex from Fox would cause. When he had first taken him he had not cared. Alex had simply been something he wanted to own. As his mate, he now deserved as much care as possible.

"I see. But you will not help me keep him at bay, or to destroy him?"

Garren shook his head, the silky hair sliding forward. "If he attacks this group then I will aid you in... "

"I need an ally, Garren. If you are not going to be one, then I assure you I do not need your help in protecting this camp. Take Alex and go." Skinner walked away, only to bump into Antonio who had sought them out. The two ascendants shared a look, inscrutable.

"Don't push me, Skinner, I know full well that your Fox will not be pleased with this either," Garren growled.

Skinner turned and let Garren feel his displeasure. Red eyes glared into topaz and Garren was pushed back a few steps by the simple power of Skinner's thoughts. "No, Garren, don't push me. I give you Alex because I can't afford more enemies and I must think of the millions who scream for protection. But, I will not abide someone near me who will not lift a hand to help me. I know that Fox will hate this! I hate this. Do you think I want to lose Alex? But I need your help."

Garren was incredulous. "Do you realize what I am? I slaughter humans, or have you forgotten this? Those humans scream for protection from my kind. The pack hunts, Skinner. They always have, they always will. Murdoch understands this, embraces it. You would seek to end it. Because I have care for my human mate does not make me an ideal ally. I will not forbid the pack from hunting and know that you will seek to end it. I cannot allow that. The pack is my responsibility every bit as much as Alex is."

Skinner drew a deep breath. Garren was actually sounding reasonable. It was the first time the pack leader had spoken as if to an equal, as if he were really trying to get Skinner to understand. "You are correct, but I don't seek to control the world, Garren. Just to make sure that there are places of safety... always."

"A balance," Antonio offered, his voice without inflection. He knew this was the way, but was not overly excited by it.

"Yes," Skinner nodded. "Balance and safety."

"Places of safety from things like me," Garren insisted.

Skinner sighed. It was more than true. "But, your pack is not attacking now... nowhere in my protection."

"Because they are frightened of your strength," Garren explained.

"So they go outside my protection to hunt?" Skinner asked, his voice deceptive in its casualness.

"Yes," Garren growled before he realized what he had said. "So you are willing to let the pack roam off your lands? As if the people there do not need protection?"

"I cannot protect... was not meant to protect everyone, Garren. That is what the balance is. It is the natural way. For every force there must be an equal and opposing force. I seek only to stop Murdoch from unbalancing everything as is his desire."

Garren looked away. "I will think on it, Ascendant. It seems a fool's agreement. We are at cross-purposes. But I will think on it."

"That is all I ask for the moment."

"I give no promises," Garren warned.

"I'll give you one," Skinner said slowly, quietly, but with iron force. "I will not let you stay if you decide against me."

"If you can even get the pack to go against Murdoch, that is," Antonio put in, unable to stay his ire a moment longer. He felt as if he should have some part in this discussion, even if it were a very small part.

"The pack will do as I command, Ascendant," Garren snarled. "I go to Alex now. You will go to Fox?" This last bit he directed toward Skinner, dismissing Antonio without a second glance.

Skinner nodded, wanting nothing more than to scream that Garren could not touch a hair on Alex's head, knowing that Garren would do much more than that. But he remained silent.

"You give him Alex and he does not even agree to help us?" Antonio asked incredulously when Garren disappeared into the darkness. He was tempted to simply disappear with both Alex and Dana and be damned the consequences. But he was reluctantly convinced that Skinner was at least trying for the correct balance. He only wished the wolf could be bought with some other toy. Not the lovely Alex. But again, perhaps the wolf would share where Skinner would not. He already seemed more than willing to share Alex with Fox.

"He will agree," Skinner sighed.

"How do you know?"

"Because everything depends on it. He must and that is it."

In the shadows nearby, unnoticed, Baku stood. He was well pleased by the conversation, but not as certain as Skinner that things would go well. He knew how to spur the pack leader on if he decided not to take up Skinner up on his offer.

He would simply suggest to the young Alex that he could somehow harm Murdoch were he to call to him. Of course, once the pretty, green-eyed man called to him, Murdoch would come and take him. It would probably take Garren awhile to rescue him, but Murdoch would effectively become Garren's enemy. In fact, nothing would assure that more than the pretty mate being taken. There would be nowhere for Murdoch to hide. He would have to kill every wolf on Earth to end the war that would blow over him like no storm on Earth.

He didn't feel the slightest remorse when he considered what Alex would endure in Murdoch's embrace. It was true to say that the good of the many outweighed the good of the few. Far outweighed. It was also true that, changed now like Walter's FBI Agent, Alex might very well like what Murdoch did to him. Might like it quite a bit.

It was irrelevant in any case. The alliance must be forged. It must be. And it must be made strong. Perhaps he would whisper in Alex's ear, come what may.

He slid back into the scrub bushes and silently made his way back to the Dorl's camp.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Nineteen
Hour 2345

Mulder woke with the distinct feeling that something was wrong. His breath was catching as if waking from a frightening dream and his pulse raced. Immediately he was aware of Alex beside him, gently breathing and some measure of his unease was leveled. Alex was all right. He could make out Alex's features by the light of the lamps lit outside the tent and he smiled a bit to himself. If Alex knew how young and vulnerable he looked while sleeping, he would surely never want to sleep again.

The sense of unease grew again and he immediately thought of Scully. Was she safe? Surely Antonio would keep her close, but Scully was independent if nothing else. Maybe something had happened to her. The idea that maybe something akin to his experience with Mikhail or even worse, Murdoch, should happen to her appalled him, made him almost physically ill.

Suddenly the need to find her, to make sure she was safe was too compelling. More compelling than the heat of Alex beside him. He sat up and began to look for his clothes, quietly so as not to disturb Alex. So sure was he that he was silent that when Alex spoke he jumped a bit.

"What are you doing, baby?"

He shook his head and then patted Alex's thigh, trying to ignore how good the muscled flesh felt under his hand. "Don't worry, just go back to sleep. I'm going to go find Scully... have a chat... shoot the breeze. Partner stuff."

Alex chuckled a bit. "And here I thought I was your partner now."

Mulder smiled. "You are definitely my partner but, well, Scully is my partner."

"I know," Alex assured, with a feline yawn and stretch that captivated Mulder and, for an instant, made him forget all about his intention to find Scully. "I was teasing. I don't have a problem with your relationship with Scully, Fox. She's been a better friend to you all these years then anyone else."

Mulder nodded. "I'll be back soon."

"You better."

"I will."

"I'll get cold," Alex sighed, stretching again, this time letting one hand trace down his torso; the tips of his fingers grazing the dark hair that grew just below his belly button.

"Very soon. If I can warm you up when I get back," Mulder affirmed, his voice gone husky with desire. He had to swallow several times as his eyes made out the slow movements of Alex's hand. Wanting to beg Alex to put on a show for him. Hungry for the sight of Alex's strong hand toying with himself, to see those narrow hips pump up to the rhythm of Alex's fist. He licked his lips quickly.

"That is the whole point of me saying it," Alex purred, arching his back a bit, the movement thrusting his hips up lazily. "I want you to think of ways to warm me up."

"I did get that, babe," Mulder chuckled, the beating rhythm of his heart beginning to pound most predominantly in his groin. He stood, pulling on his jeans, his every move watched by Alex who sighed in pleasure at the sight.

"You're so beautiful, Fox." His voice still held a certain amazement caused by the sheer fact that Fox was with him at all. He felt a heaviness grow in his groin, a steady thrumming that made him part his legs slightly. So like his Fox, Alex realized with a grin. Parting his legs wide whenever he was aroused. Little slut. His little slut, Alex amended with a silent growl. It wouldn't take much to get Fox on his hands and knees, begging to be fucked. He grew completely hard at the image.

Mulder shook his head. "You are seriously mirror challenged, babe. You really are."

Alex laughed a bit. Fox said the oddest things. "Why is that?" He asked, while still running his fingers around his lower belly, teasing the now wet head of his cock in the darkness, hearing in his mind, Fox's voice, whimpering, begging. God he smelled so good. So good.

"I'll tell you later, after I check in with Scully," Mulder promised. There was still that feeling, the-little-hairs-on- the-back-of- his-neck-rising feeling of something off... something wrong.

"I can hardly wait," Alex sighed. "But, what if I am too cold then to listen?"

"Oh," Fox pretended to ponder while he put on his shoes. "It does tie in with why I will love to warm you up. Yes, it definitely ties in."

Alex watched as Fox put on shoes, narrowing his eyes as Fox winced from the pain in his abused nipples. "Fox."

Hazel eyes raised to his while hands still attended to the lacing of straps. "Yes?"

"Don't wander far."

Irritation flashed on Fox's face and he tugged on the laces of the shoes a bit harder then needed. "I do not intend to wander off like some child, Krycek."

Alex raised a brow, unrepentant, secretly thrilled to be Krycek again. Fox ruffled so prettily. "Good."

"Unless Scully isn't nearby," Fox finished with a challenging raising of brows.

"Don't wander far, no matter what," Alex repeated. "Or did you not want me to get rest?"

Fox took a steady breath, calming himself at the obvious threat of accompaniment. "I'll be okay, Alex. I'm not going anywhere."

"Good," Alex repeated, not feeling the slightest guilt. Fox needed a keeper. He didn't expect a reply and wasn't surprised when, after pulling on a loose-fitting T-shirt, Fox left without another word. He lay there for another moment or two and decided to get up as well. He was hungry. Fox couldn't expect him not to eat.

Mulder saw Scully sitting on a large log near the small fire that had been lit for ambience more so than heat. Space heaters sat around the camp, their plugs uselessly trailing behind them, attached to nothing. Yet the small devices glowed red with heat. He felt a chill at that, another reminder that things weren't the same, would never be the same.

A sudden panic overwhelmed him. They were, all of them, concubines now. Did it matter that Skinner was noble, handsome and gentle? Did he have a choice? He knew that it was irrelevant. All of his concerns were. He had to start thinking in the here and now. That was what he needed Dana for. She would ground him, make him face reality. He couldn't help but feel a bit of envy; she was perfectly content with the situation.

Though looking at her now, she seemed anything but content. Her lips were pursed and her brows were raised to the limit as she sat, staring at her clenched fists. Antonio was walking away into the darkness and he felt one moment of guilty glee. Things weren't as peachy as could be after all.

He sat down beside her, expecting her to cheer a little at his presence, feeling a cocky assurance that she would smile for him, if not for the interloper.

She didn't. She only looked more distressed to see him. Her eyes opened a bit wider and her lips parted only to slap closed in a straight, ungenerous line.

He frowned, "What is it, Scully? What has he done?"

She shook her head to indicate that Antonio was not to blame, but Mulder was not ready to let it go. "You look like someone fed your adopted dog to... sorry, that wasn't really what I meant... "

"It isn't Antonio, Mulder. It's Skinner and that damn wolf!"

Mulder moved his head back in surprise. "Garren? He's here? Are they fighting? Is Skinner... Walter... is he okay?" Mulder was moving to rise, his heart beginning to beat out a steady tattoo of fear.

"No, they aren't fighting. They are probably in godly agreement about what should happen to us mere mortals... Mulder!" she gasped, finally recognizing that he had made a comment about her dearly departed dog. "You remembered some more!"

"I remember everything, Scully. Down to the fish... God help the little guys now. They have to be dead by now, don't you think?"

She smiled then, a radiant smile, one that he rarely saw. She grabbed him in a hug and held him tight. "Oh, Mulder, that's wonderful!"

He wrapped his arms about her in return and grinned against her neck at how, even in her exuberance, she was careful not to disturb his stitches. He wondered, as he had so often in the past, why it couldn't have been her that he loved. Now of course, he wouldn't give Alex up for anything... Skinner, well he was a definite pleasing confusion, if he would but simply leave Alex alone.

Alex stepped out of the tent and frowned a bit to see the two embracing friends. He knew they were close, but the embrace was not ending and he scowled. His attention was taken away from the overly friendly friends by the appearance of a large man to his left. He stepped back and though he was immediately alert to possible danger, the only thought that passed through his head was that Fox had just trotted past the huge man without the slightest knowledge of his presence. How the hell had he lived so long? He truly did need a keeper!

The man stood then and Alex narrowed his eyes, recognizing him for a wolf as soon as the man's eyes reflected the firelight in an amber beam. Only animals had such reflection. Humans did not. The effect was almost horrifying on a man who looked so human otherwise. It looked like two coins alight, molten inside the sockets.

"Another wolf? Jesus, do you fuckers do nothing but breed?"

"I am Akael. I will be your protector."

"Oh shit! Well just stay out of my way. I don't need any help... "

"Do you need correction, I am certainly willing to inform my Garren," Akael growled, unused to such contrary, undisciplined encounters. Even the Garren as a pup was obedient to a certain extent. Disobedient, weaker charges endangered themselves.

"If you feel the need, go right ahead," Alex sneered and turned to saunter away, not even questioning his comfort around the beast he knew could rip him from groin to sternum without blinking an eye. He had already accepted, though not consciously, that Garren would never sanction any harm to befall him from one of his pack.

"You will be an interesting charge," Akael finally said as Alex made his way to the delicious male who smelled slightly of blood. That one, like all changed humans must, looked as if he needed personal care, to be taken away from all others and kept. Preferably kept close. Close enough to lick and to taste. Close enough to hear the heart race in passion as he was taken hour after hour after hour. Sweet, changed human.

But Akael was too old for such things. Not too old to enjoy them, but too old to be carried away by them.

He stayed for love of his young Garren. He would stay as long as it took for the pack leader to adjust to the new world and to having a mate to care for, and then he would seek rest. He followed the mate and had to appreciate his beauty. Not so changed as the other temptation, but beautiful still. He stood a discreet distance away from where the mate had stopped. The three males standing near the mate stared up at him nervously. Akael thought it amusing. To these little men the mate was dangerous. Humans were very amusing. They were afraid of Alex, but not of him. He who could tear their skin from their flesh layer by layer and tear out their hearts, all before they even knew he had moved. Yes, very amusing.

He chuckled, remembering the old Garren's mate, Dani, saying that humans were the most interesting part of life. The old Garren had laughed at her, something he had come to regret in the cold nights ahead, but Akael had agreed. Humans were interesting.

When the pretty mate threw him a glare, he shook his head and tried to be patient. The Garren would have to discipline this one, for he could not, not without express permission to do so. And judging by the level of devotion Garren was already showing, he didn't assume that permission would be forthcoming.

After all, Garren knew first-hand how well Akael could discipline.

He sensed his leader's ire and confusion then and almost went to him, old protective habits were hard to break, but he stayed by his new charge and let things progress with the ascendants and Garren.

Mulder pulled away from Scully, smiling a bit. He saw Alex out of the corner of his eye and he had to grin. The bastard really didn't trust him at all. Their eyes met and Alex looked supremely indifferent, his jade eyes direct and untroubled. Daring Mulder to comment on his being outside the tent. Mulder grinned at him. "Brat," he mouthed.

Alex smiled suddenly, happy that Mulder wasn't disturbed. He didn't care about the wolf Akael any more. He grinned at Frohike and patted Langly on the shoulder. Langly gave a muffled shriek but held his ground with irrefutable courage as Alex made his way to Mulder's side. He had had enough private time with Scully. He straddled the log behind where Mulder sat and bent to kiss his ear. "I was hungry," he explained.

"I see," Mulder chuckled. "It had nothing to do with being over-protective?"

Krycek grinned, boyishly, his eyes twinkling in the warmth of Fox's affection. He kissed Mulder's cheek, right above his mole. "Nah, I don't care what happens to you."

Mulder leaned his head back to look into Alex's eyes. "You don't?" His voice was soft, tempting. As if his words were meant to be heard only by Alex, though he didn't bother to whisper.

Alex nuzzled him, his nose cool on Fox's face. "Unh unh. Not at all." He wrapped his arms about Fox's waist and squeezed. "Why would I care about an old, ugly mud fence like you? A boring one too."

Mulder laughed and forgot completely about Scully, the Gunmen, the trees, the wolves... everything faded away until all he saw was Alex. Beautiful, loyal Alex. "God, I love you, Alex." His words were fierce, his eyes moist with emotion. He would cheerfully kill for Alex, he knew then.

Alex squeezed him tighter. "You're damned right you do."

"And you kinda like me a little too," Mulder insisted, opening his mouth so Alex could place a wet kiss there and sighing as Alex took advantage and did just that.

When Alex pulled back and began to grin at Scully, Mulder elbowed him.

"I said 'and you kinda like me a little too!'" Mulder scolded.

Alex laughed and shook his head. "But, I don't." When Mulder started to pull away in a pretended huff, Alex wrapped his arms tighter around Mulder's waist. "You know I love you. More than anything." His voice was no longer teasing. It was husky, but sincere. His words a prayer at a sacred altar. A benediction. An oath.

Mulder believed him and favored him with a beautiful smile.

It made Alex want to cry.

Scully felt like screaming... like weeping. They were so in love it was painful to watch. They glowed. She knew it was a silly, romantic thing to say, but they did. They were staring into each other's eyes and she knew that the camp could catch fire and they would not know. She had never seen anything as tender as Alex's expression when he stared at Fox. Nothing. Ever. It was as if Fox was the entire world and Alex would have it no other way. And Fox? He looked happier than she had ever seen him, even in the midst of all this insanity.

And she would have to tell them something that would tear that happiness away. Garren was going to take Alex away.

xx

Washington D.C.
Penthouse
Day Nineteen
Hour 2030

Murdoch had taken a shower. Not cold, for he had slaves to tend to his desire should he require that. No, the shower was hot, and he thought of Fox's eyes when he had torn the marks of another from his tender, sweet nipples. Such desire had shone there. Oh, one had to look beyond the pain and fear, Murdoch mused. But, desire was there as well. Foxling remembered the pleasure of Murdoch's bed. How many times had he cried out for more? How many times had his pretty lips parted on the pleading that would bring Murdoch close?

Too many times to discount.

Foxling belonged to him. As surely as did everything else. Was he not the most changed? Yes. It was settled. As the one true Ascendant it was only right that he receive the greatest gifts from the change. The green-eyed Alex had been there trying to interfere. That one Garren claimed.

If he could take Alex then he could woo Garren. He frowned. It was certainly unseemly for him to have to woo that which was his by right of history. Wolves were the perfect tool though and so he must include the sweet Alex in his plans.

Still, it irritated him to no end that Garren had dared defy him. Had dared claim Alex. It was he who should command. He who always was obeyed. Hadn't Garren always obeyed? It was infuriating when he considered. Perhaps instead of wooing, Garren needed to be disciplined. Brought to heel.

He allowed his foxling alikes to dress him and he went to meet with a representative from a man who claimed to be Foxling's father.

He thought of bringing Fox's mother to the meeting, but decided she would rather dine alone as was her want to do. He instead had several videos sent to her for her enjoyment. She had every luxury, every convenience, and still she stared at him with eyes that even he found cold. He liked her.

Even had he not, she would have been treated well. She had given him Fox. She was royalty, even if she didn't care.

As he walked to the room in which the messenger waited, he considered the failure to find Walter Skinner's parents. They were, he assumed, dead. It was another irritation in a string of like circumstances. The man needed to be put in his place. Destroyed.

A smile lit his features when he considered the pig on a pike that graced the balcony of his penthouse. The head of the African ascendant who had defied him. One day, Skinner, he mused. One day.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0020

"Mulder, I have to tell you something," Scully muttered. When Mulder did not seem to hear her she placed one, shaking hand on his arm. "Mulder!"

He turned to her, his attention now fully focussed on her, a worried frown slowly taking over his smile in increments of concern. "What is it, Scully?" He raised his brows as he remembered her first words to him. "Skinner and Garren?"

Alex tensed behind him and Mulder heard his breath catch in his throat.

"Yes. Mulder, you and Alex... you should just go now. Just get some things and go." Even as Scully said it she knew she wouldn't want him to go. It was too dangerous... even for men like Krycek.

"What is it, Scully?" Alex asked soothing Fox by little strokes on his arms and small rubs of his cheek onto Fox's.

"Skinner is... he is... " Scully looked away.

"What?" Alex and Fox sad together.

"What is it?" Byers asked, as all three Gunmen moved close.

"Giving you to me, cat," Garren said from the edge of the camp. The firelight lit his golden hair and for an instant every member of camp was struck by his otherworldly beauty.

Until his words were dissected and understood.

"What?" Mulder gasped. "What did you say? What did he say, Scully?"

"You heard me, little Fox," Garren said casually. Deceptively so, for he was watching Alex's reaction carefully.

"He... he wouldn't," Alex whispered. Struck by what he knew to be true. "He... he wouldn't."

Mulder rose, his eyes burning, a forest afire. "You are lying. Skinner wouldn't do that!"

"Mulder, he did," Scully cried, coming to her feet. Fear that Mulder would launch himself at the big wolf moving her to grab his arm protectively.

"No!" Mulder barked, shaking off her hand. "No, he wouldn't!"

"He did," Garren assured him. "Alex is my mate, little Fox. You would do well to realize it now."

The fact that his voice was devoid of taunting, or any other indication that he was bragging, simply made Fox tremble even more in anger. Garren acted like he felt almost sorry for him.

"He wasn't Skinner's to give, wolf man!" Frohike glared. "He's his own person, and I didn't hear him say he wanted to leave us... to leave Mulder." The little man was pumped up with rage as he looked around the camp. "Did anyone else hear Krycek say that he wanted to leave?"

The other two Gunmen shook their heads.

"I'm not leaving," Alex hissed. "I don't care what Skinner may or may not have said." He stood and wrapped his arms back around Fox's waist.

"Skinner did not do anything of the sort," Mulder insisted. "He didn't."

"I did." The voice from the shadows startled them all, save for Garren and the older wolf who seemed incredibly bored by the events.

Mulder shook his head. "No. No you didn't."

"I did, Fox. I had to."

"It was for the best. For everything," Antonio added as he took his place at Skinner's side.

"The hell you say," Mulder spat.

"You... you gave me to him?" Alex whispered. There was a wealth of hurt in his voice and Skinner looked away.

Mulder turned to Alex and touched his face in reaction to the hurt tone. His anger burned brighter still when he saw that lost little boy yet again on Alex's face. "Baby. Baby... " He had no words to make Skinner's betrayal less. He could only say. "I won't give you up."

Alex was opening his mouth to reply when he was plucked from Fox's embrace and held close to Garren. "You will not hurt any more, Alex. I won't forbid you to see Fox."

Mulder moved to rip Alex from Garren's embrace, but felt himself go slack, frozen, unable to move as Garren cradled Alex to him. Blue topaz met Fox's wide, furious eyes.

"When he has accepted this, then I bring him to you. For now, this is too much stress," Garren said as he turned to leave.

Frohike lunged at Garren and was immediately batted aside by the older wolf. Alex cried out in anger to see his friend fall to the ground and Garren turned his head toward Akael who stood over the still furious little man.

"Don't," he ordered.

It was enough to make Akael turn, forgetting Frohike's attack, and follow.

Alex wouldn't scream or struggle. It would be too humiliating. Garren paused beside Skinner. "I take him just a short ways away. Tomorrow perhaps he will spend time with Fox. Is that acceptable for you?

"It is," Skinner husked. He wanted to avoid Alex's eyes, but felt he should give Alex the chance to show his anger, his hurt.

When he met Alex's eyes there was no expression at all.

Absolutely nothing.

He was the cold assassin once more.

When the wolves faded into the darkness with Alex, Skinner released Mulder from his hold.

Immediately Mulder made to go after him. He was frozen again, this time tears made their way down his face. At least part of him was not controlled by the ascendant.

When Skinner released him again he tried to lunge at Skinner. "How could you do this?" Mulder cried, as he was grabbed and held tight in Skinner's arms.

"I'm sorry, Fox," Skinner whispered against Mulder's fragrant hair. "So sorry. I love him, too."

"Bullshit!" Mulder lashed out and won his freedom only to try and follow Alex again.

"Mulder," Scully commanded her voice firm, incontrovertible after Mulder had been frozen and released in a horrible series that seemed would never end. A scene that all the members of camp were watching with some level of despair.

He turned to her, his expression showing his mutiny.

"Stop. Just stop. You can't change this." When her words settled, they both stared at one another. "You can't fix this, Mulder."

"Scully, I... what do you want me to do? I can't let him take Alex. I love... "

"Wake up, Mulder. Do you think this is the same world we were in just a month ago? Do you think I want this? Do you think the Rat... Krycek does? None of us chose this, but you can't fight... not now."

Mulder felt a hand on his arm and looked into Antonio's dark gaze. "Skinner did not do this to hurt you, or Alex. It wasn't about you at all."

"Antonio," Skinner warned.

"No. He should know," Antonio growled. "Right now, as we speak, Murdoch has the head of one of our brothers. He has him as a trophy. This man, this ascendant who stood, like Skinner to give shelter to the people of his country. To defend against Murdoch's forces that would come in the night to feed on them."

At Mulder's mutinous expression Antonio sighed. "Murdoch will continue until only the ascendants who aligned with him stand, and then the world will be his. Do you understand what that means, Fox?"

Fox frowned, too angry to care. "So what does that have to do with selling my lover? Is that the kind of world you two are fighting for? Where slavery exists? I think I might prefer Murdoch's. At least he is honest about what he wants."

"You don't mean that," Skinner said softly. "You wouldn't be able to watch as millions were slaughtered."

Mulder wouldn't look at him. Didn't want to hear the truth of those words.

"People are being gathered together in herds, Fox," Antonio continued. The old that survived the opening are being burned. The infirm are being fed to the beasts. The beautiful are being brought to breeding camps. They must worship Murdoch's followers, abase themselves in front of their family, their friends, in order to survive. In D.C. Murdoch has hundreds of slings set up in which men and women are set to be tortured, publicly. Children are put in rooms with hungry dogs... for the amusement of the Pure bloods. There are things that hunt that would make those that have come for you seem docile." He paused as Mulder seemed to pale.

"That's enough, Antonio," Skinner growled, seeing Fox's pretty face go white.

"No, it isn't. Do you remember when we arrived in Fort Bragg? The old woman who only had a bloody cane to remind her of the husband that wolves had eaten? Do you remember the faces of the survivors? Do you remember their faces after Skinner took control and forced the hunters out?" When Mulder refused to answer. He grabbed him and shouted in his face, "Do you remember?"

Skinner took Fox from Antonio. "It isn't his responsibility, Antonio. It is ours."

"Yes, but does he understand that responsibility? Does he think you gave Alex away for laughs? Does he realize the sacrifice you made?"

"Antonio, that is quite enough," Scully said quietly.

The firelight illuminated the faces of all the remaining in the group. Maggie Scully was wiping tears from her face and Frohike was staring moodily into the fire. Langly and Byers were looking at Antonio with as much hostility as they did Skinner.

Mulder looked sick. Both Antonio and Skinner were looking at Dana Scully. She was furious. "You. Both of you," she hissed. "You," she said, pointing to Skinner, "you could have warned them... could have prepared them and explained your reasoning. You say you want to help the world? Fine, but start by treating Mulder like a human being, not some reluctant child you need to lead around by the hand. And you," she growled, turning cerulean fire on Antonio. "You act as if this is Mulder's fault! Would you have given me up so easily to save the world? Would you even care? Because Mulder isn't a God like you two, you think he doesn't have feelings? To Hell with you both!" She grabbed Mulder's arm. "Let your godlike compassion keep you both warm tonight. Come on, Mulder," she hissed, propelling her still stunned partner away and toward the tent she had staked out as her own.

A few seconds after the two partners disappeared into the tent, several articles were ejected quite violently. All Antonio's.

Skinner and Antonio blinked in surprise. They felt the eyes of the rest of the group on them and though they knew the decision had been correct, they felt the censure almost too heavily.

"You shouldn't be able to sell people," Frohike growled, before getting up abruptly, wiping suspicious moisture from his face. "If I could, I'd go after Krycek and bring him back to Mulder. But I am just a mere human and so I can't." With one last glare, he stormed off toward another tent. The other two gunmen nodded in perfect agreement, as if they had said the words and they turned to follow Frohike away from the light.

Maggie sighed, shook her had a bit and made her way too, silently toward the small tent that was her own.

"They don't understand. They can't. They are only humans," Antonio complained.

Skinner wanted to disagree, but it was true. They were only humans. Not able to see all that he and Antonio could see. Not able to hear the screams of the tortured. He wished he could simply be human again as well.

xx

McClellan Air Force Base
Sacramento, CA
Day Twenty
Hour 0950

"He isn't reasonable. The clone likes personal attention," Dr. Jack Morson complained to his fellow scientist as he watched the clone touch everything in the room that had been prepared for his use.

The clone turned and held out a clock toward the two scientists. "Time," he proclaimed proudly. "Time, time."

"He is so adorable too," Dr. Mark Namble added, his voice petulant and adoring at the same time.

"Indeed. So proud of every accomplishment," Morson agreed.

They both sighed as the clone set the clock down and picked up a hardbound book. He frowned a bit, the full lips pursing with his concentration. "Book."

"Very good!" the two scientists crowed, startling the clone, but causing him to smile happily.

A full, lower lip was drawn in slowly, nibbled on to a chorus of sighs as he flipped open the book he held, but he was thinking of what the two men had said. "Good? Very good. Good boy?" he asked looking down toward his now covered crotch.

"Oh Lord," Dr. Morson moaned. "So responsive and eager to please. Why are we just standing here? Surely it is a confusion to the sweet thing."

"You were right," Dr. Namble agreed as the clone seemed confused by his now flaccid state, "he is unreasonable. We wouldn't hurt the dear boy."

"God forbid! We only want to make him happy and well-adjusted."

"See how he smiles at us? He truly does want us to play some more."

The clone set down the book and knelt to look under the bed. He shook his head when he found nothing and moved on to the next item.

"He certainly is curious," Dr. Morson sighed. "He will find out all about... sex soon enough. Why not now?"

"It isn't like he is a child. He is fully matured." The clone knocked into table and watched as a glass figurine of a porpoise almost fell to the floor, without trying to stop it, having no idea that things would break.

"Careful, little Fox," Dr. Morson cautioned.

The clone stooped suddenly and looked confused. "Fox?"

"Yes that is your name sweetheart," Namble informed him, unable to prevent himself from drawing near.

The clone shook his head. "Not Fox. Human. Male."

The scientists chuckled together and moved close to pet the frowning clone. "It is a name, an appellation, sweetheart. Your name is Fox. You aren't a fox," Dr. Morson was kind enough to explain while he pushed a lock of hair out of wide, hazel eyes.

"Well, my generation would have called you a fox," Dr. Namble said.

"Don't confuse him," Morson barked.

The clone tilted his head, processed the information, nodded and turned away from the two men to continue exploring his world with boundless enthusiasm. He picked up a shoe and smelled it, shook his head and wrinkled his nose.

"It's a leather shoe," Namble explained. When the clone smiled at him, he was forced to move closer, to touch the full mouth, to trace the mole with a finger.

"Face," the clone supplied, thinking to touch the doctor's face. Realizing for the first time in its young life that touch seemed a part of communication.

"You see, Morson?" Namble panted. "He simply wants us to make him feel good, to spread him out on the bed and take him to heaven. He knows! Look at him, he is practically begging for it."

The clone blinked and moved toward the silent television, unaware that he was apparently on the brink of begging the two men to pleasure him. "Oven... no." He shook his head resolutely. "What is this?"

"He asked a question. A real question," Dr. Morson exclaimed, for one moment his scientific mind aflame with the reality of their success. This clone was getting off to a great start, despite having an odd genetic structure. Odd? Hell, one never before seen in nature. One he had it on good authority that the aliens had never seen in all their millennium of conquering.

They were changed from normal humans somehow. Beautifully so.

xx

McClellan Air Force Base
Sacramento, CA
Day Twenty
Hour 1845

Bill Mulder watched carefully the men handling his sons. They weren't really his sons, but they were. The same feeling of unreality that he felt upon seeing the first clone of his daughter washed over him. Of course his son wasn't dead like his daughter had been so after that first successful cloning, but even still it was odd.

They looked like his son. They were inspecting everything around them and it made him chuckle a bit. How like his son. So curious. Too curious. Beautiful too. He felt proud that he had created something so lovely. He frowned as a clone stumbled and stubbed his toe on one of the cots. The instant tears and hurt look on its face as it looked around in search of an answer to the sudden pain in his foot caused Bill to straighten his back sharply.

The clone was whimpering and looking at the injured toe, poking a finger at the flap of skin it had damaged and looking to his curious brothers for assistance.

Murdoch would teach them quickly about pain, he knew. It was for the betterment of the world. If he did not make some arrangement with Murdoch, then the aliens might well depart... without any clue as to how to power their technology. The world would be run by the ascendants... good or bad.

It would be better for the world to have men who knew how to run things, run things. He smiled then. Yes, it was worth it.

He watched as the other three clones gathered about their quieting brother and sit near him, unsure what to do to help him, but all staring at the offending toe with identical expressions of dismay.

They had each other, Bill decided.

"Get them ready. We leave as soon as possible." He didn't look at the older man he spoke to, but instead watched the four clones. "I want them to learn to clothe themselves, clean themselves and attend to themselves. They can practice speaking as well. But, make it a fast learning experience, Dr. Thomas, we leave in exactly thirty-six hours."

Though there was no visible reaction to Bill's words the handlers and scientists alike were unsure they could perform such a feat. When Bill Mulder left he indicated that the young guard at the door attend him, leaving the men in the room to hurry to the clones in anticipation of a crash course on adult life.

To the guard Bill held up one finger. "I want a full compliment of guards at this door at all times. No one is to touch these clones in an intimate way. Is that understood?"

The guard nodded, rather confused as to why anyone would. "Of course not, sir."

Bill knew the young guard had yet to be in the clones presence long enough to feel the effect, an effect even he wasn't immune to. It was only his sense of duty and the fact that the clones might as well be his own son that stayed his impulse to lie with one or more of them, to taste their sweet, soft flesh. To put his face in their crotches and lap hungrily. He was growing hard, iron hard. But, he walked away. They would be virgins when Murdoch took them. He didn't trust any of the handlers or the lovesick scientists to be as strong as he.

"Shoot anyone who tries. Anyone."

The guard nodded again, his brown eyes serious and intent. "Yes, sir."

Bill made his leave and was already thinking of something else when the guard radioed in for backup. He was going to have to deal with Spender soon. A small smile curved his lips. He did enjoy sparring with his old friend. It was one constant in an otherwise unstable world.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0020

Garren set Alex down in the middle of a small clearing. The ground was hard and stony, as unforgiving as Alex's stare. Garren cared little for comfort, the hard ground was as good a bed as any, better if the moon was full and beautiful. It was waning now, the pull not so insistent, but enough to make a night outside preferable to one inside. His mate, however, might not be comfortable.

He commanded that supplies be gathered... some sort of mat... perhaps a pillow.

"You needn't look so despondent, Cat, you will see Fox tomorrow," Garren promised as he pulled Alex down with him, setting him on his lap like a child. Though he knew Alex would not be able to see him clearly in the darkness, he saw the jade eyes flash at him. For only a moment though was there the customary fire. Garren was uneasy to see that Alex's expression was devastated. He knew Alex would not reveal his emotions if he knew how well Garren could see him, so he said nothing to indicate that he could see the sorrow on the pretty face. Instead, he tried to assure him again.

"Cat, I promise not to keep you from him."

Alex shook his head and Garren realized why his mate was hurting. "It is because the ascendant gave you away? That he didn't fight for you? This is why you hurt?"

The expression on Alex's face was one of utter surprise at Garren's perception and then anger. "What do you care? You got what you wanted? Don't pretend you give a shit. You are just like him... you think I am stupid enough to believe that you actually care!"

"Cat, I could not leave you with him. You understand. You would not be happy. You are bonded to me now. You have to be with me. You have felt this certainly."

Alex tensed, but didn't try to draw out of Garren's embrace. He didn't even think of trying to leave those strong arms. It was somehow so comforting and so right to be held close to Garren, smelling the scent that was his alone. "I belong with Fox. You know it... I know it... Skinner, the traitor, knows it."

Garren chuckled as Alex turned to put his face in the crook of Garren's neck as he spoke those feisty words, snuggling closer and sighing as he did so. His actions did not match his defiant words.

"You are where you belong now, Cat." He kissed the top of Alex's head. "But, I will concede that your love for Fox is exceptional. All other attachments would have long since been buried in the passage of our bonding. That you still keen for him tells me this. This is why I will not allow him to be kept from you."

"What in the hell are you talking about?" Alex grumbled. He was becoming uncomfortably aware that he was becoming stimulated by Garren's scent, that he was starting to imagine what the two of them could be doing. The memory of the field; of Garren, so beautiful in the moonlight, inside him. He moaned and shifted a bit on Garren's lap.

Garren smelled Alex's arousal and was immediately aroused in response. "We are bonded now," he repeated pushing Alex back and sliding over him slowly. Growling as Alex moaned. "You feel it... the need. The scent of me driving you crazy-the thought of me... "

Alex whimpered in response. His emotions a bitter turmoil.

"It is the bonding-from the first night when I infected you with my spore," Garren assured him.

Alex gasped, eyes wide in the darkness. "What?"

"The spore that binds us all together as a pack-and binds our mates to us," Garren explained, smiling a bit as his pretty little cat looked as if he were close to spitting. "It is particularly, and deliciously, effective on humans." He bent and tongued the healed wound, the slide of his tongue over the spot making Alex cry out in sheer lust. "Here is where I put it, and here will always be erogenous for you, Alex." To prove it he slid his tongue, wet and hot, over the spot several times, making Alex forget all about spitting and made him purr instead.

"You will never be free of it, my little mate. You see?"

"Shut up, Garren, and just take off your clothes-take off mine-please," Alex pleaded-everything fading in importance with shameful speed-all his concerns, his hurt and even, for the moment, his need for Fox. Inside he cried out against such abandonment of that which he held most dear, but he was helpless in the wake of some incredible tide of lust for Garren.

Spore.

What did it matter for now? For now all he wanted was for Garren to show him how rough he could be, to take him in the dark, on the cold, hard ground.

But Garren was kissing him gently, almost reverently. Stroking the column of Alex's throat with long, strong fingers. Testing the pulse there with the tip of his tongue. Nipping slightly with strong, white teeth, ever careful not to break the skin. Garren trailed his right hand down Alex's back while his left still attended the pretty face, stroking the black stubble on the angular jaw and tracing the darker brows. He captured Alex's mouth in a wet kiss, slow and gentle.

"I will never give you up, Alex. No force on Earth could make me do that. I would as soon have every human slaughtered as give you up."

Alex shivered at he husky promise. Garren would keep that vow too he knew. He felt the assault of tenderness as if it were a violent rape. If he could not even pretend that he had no choice, even while he was begging for more, then how could he ever look Mulder in the eyes again?

"Not like this," he gasped as Garren's mouth slid smoothly down his throat in search of his erect nipples. "Please-oh God-Garren, not this way."

Garren stilled, his mouth hovering above Alex's chest, his hands still cradling Alex's body, one beneath his back to keep the frail, human body off the rocky ground, the other under his head. His eyes glowed in the ambient light and for an instant Alex could see the contours of Garren's face in that strange blue light. Gas flame eyes. Burning blue.

"What way is that, Cat?" Garren bent and nipped at the clothe-covered nipple, partially listening to the distant howls of pack members; their song was one of frustrated desire. The pack wanted to hunt, even if it meant hunting other hunters, tracking down and devouring anything that would bleed. He sent the majority of the pack away-toward hunting grounds. Akael, he knew, would not leave, nor would those that had been sent to fetch the items his mate would require. He didn't dwell in his happiness at seeing his old guardian, his focus was for his mate. With that he tuned out all but the sounds of Alex gasping, the sound of his thighs sliding together in anticipation. "What way, my sweet Alex?"

"Gentle," Alex panted, feeling the incredible hardness of Garren's body, the sheer size of it, pressing down on him, but somehow not pressing him into the dirt.

Garren could hear the desperation in Alex's voice. His mate was falling and trying desperately not to.

"Take me as the wolf," he panted making Garren rub against him in a fury of desire.

"No," Garren growled. "Not yet, Cat-not here. You aren't ready for that. I might hurt you without intention."

"Please," Alex whispered, some wild need driving him to wrap himself around the massive beast that was Garren changed, anything save this gentle beast whose every touch broadcasted his adoration.

"In time," Garren promised as he shredded Alex's clothes from him with hands that were suddenly claws. The scrape of them on Alex's flesh, gentle and yet eliciting fevered moans. "We have all the time in the world." And those words too were a promise.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0030

Scully stared at her partner, wondering at his sudden calm. The hazel eyes were narrowed in contemplation, but his expression did not reveal the studied concentration, some people insisted he looked dazed, not her, that he usually displayed when truly trying to solve a particularly devilish problem. She shifted on her thick, air mattress and let him think for a few more silent moments.

"Mulder?"

He looked at her and she realized that his calm, rather studied expression was in fact shock, a true daze.

"Mulder, since this has begun we haven't had time to talk... so much... so much has happened since we returned from Berkley. I mean we have just been bowled over by events and haven't really even stopped to consider what they mean-or better yet-if they can be challenged."

Mulder's expression changed a bit, he was listening to her intently.

"We were closing in on The Mediggo... we were," she insisted.

"We were too late, Scully. In case you haven't seen the paper, the score was Mediggo seven, world zip," Mulder said with only an obligatory sarcasm.

She smiled gently. "Yes, I did notice that. But, my point is this. If we were able to uncover something before... say a weakness... maybe we could have stopped it."

"So? What good does that do us now?"

"So, maybe a weakness is a weakness. Whether the change-or whatever happened or not. It isn't like you to just accept things you realize."

He almost grinned then. "I do remember that from a hundred years ago."

She sighed. "Okay, so maybe Skinner and Antonio and these other-never before seen of brothers are the only ones who can confront Murdoch, but maybe not. Why can't we talk to Baku ourselves? Why are we letting the game play out while we sit on the sidelines?"

"You want to take charge, Scully?" Fox was incredulous. It wasn't like they were the same-as if anything were the same.

"What? You like being the little woman?" Her voice was quiet, but her eyes were a challenge.

He frowned. "No! Of course not, but I-"

"But nothing. I am not fool enough to suggest we go off on a fact-finding mission on our own, but dammit, we can at least speak to Baku. Understand this thing. Find out what role he plays."

"Yeah and maybe I will even wear that damn medallion he gave for me to wear. He gave one to Alex as well." At the mention of Alex's name, Fox's eyes dipped to the floor of the tent. "I didn't trust the old man enough to wear it, but he swears it will keep whatever is changed about us from showing."

She brightened. "You think they work?"

"I don't know, Scully. I tossed them in a bag somewhere. Why?"

"They could help us."

He stared into her determined eyes and realized what she meant. If they could pass as normal people, they would get into less trouble... especially in the area that Skinner was protecting. He smiled, the old investigative juices percolating up from the artesian well of his curiosity. "We could even... wander... a bit in a reconnaissance mission to find Baku."

She pursed her lips and tried to look disapproving. "Sneak out?"

He nodded. "Maybe find out something about the bastard that has Alex."

She met his gaze and the two sat in silence for a moment in perfect communication.

"Then it's settled?" she asked.

"Yes, just give me time to find the medallions. I think they are in one of the bags Alex grabbed when we left Fort Bragg. I think so anyway."

She sighed. "Mulder, you shouldn't go get them tonight. Not tonight. Skinner will want to... to talk."

"To hell with him," Mulder growled, surprised when Scully did indeed look disapproving. "What? You saw what he did! He gave Alex away!"

"Yes, I saw. But I also know he wouldn't have ever done such a thing without a good reason. Not," she held off Mulder's protest, "that I agree with the way it was done. But, Mulder neither of us really knows what the hell is going on. But I do know this. Skinner has never seemed the type to do something out of spite. He is honorable-"

"Scully, he gave Alex away! Are you getting that? He gave him away to something that rips humans apart without a second thought. A werewolf for God's sake!"

She sighed and settled down on her sleeping bag. "I know. I don't understand it either. I am just saying... "

"That Skinner wouldn't do something like that? Well, he isn't exactly the same Skinner we knew is he? He is some sort of part of this. I still have yet to get a decent answer as to what he and Antonio were actually doing when they went to "close" things. I know he didn't want to give Alex away, but the fact remains that he did. End of story."

Scully stared at her partner for a long time before nodding. "Another reason not to go traipsing out right now to look for the medallions."

"If not now, when?" Mulder asked.

"Just before dawn. Maybe everyone will be asleep," she replied. "We should get some sleep ourselves."

He looked incredulous. "Me? Sleep? With Alex out there being raped-"

"We both know that isn't what is happening, Mulder," Scully cut in. "At least be honest with yourself about that. While you were gone, I hate to say it, but Alex was never far from Garren and he liked it that way." At Mulder's hurt look she hastened to add, "Of course he was going crazy for wanting you back, but-I don't know-he is attracted to Garren."

Mulder recalled Alex's words at the river's edge, the intensity in his voice and eyes as he hissed that yes he did want Garren, that he did wonder when he would see him again. No, Alex wasn't being raped. He felt the wind go out of his sails. Would Alex even want to come back? "Garren did something to Alex. I am almost certain," he mumbled. "It is the only thing that makes sense, Scully. I know he loves me."

Scully nodded. "We will get to the bottom of it, Mulder. I promise. Now, please, let's try to rest." She patted the sleeping bag near to her, the one that would have been zipped up with hers to make one big sleeping bag should Antonio still had been welcome, but which was still only a solitary bag at the moment.

Mulder crawled toward it. "I won't sleep," he warned as he slipped under the flap of the warm bag.

"Just try," she wheedled turning her back on him and snuffing out the Coleman lantern. In the darkness she heard him disrobing, and the scent of him made her flush. She diligently suppressed the sudden desire and closed her eyes.

Mulder heard her breath even out, the way she shifted one last time before sleep overtook her with the suddenness of the very drunk or very young. He had always envied that in her. She could stay up all night if she had too, but she could fall asleep on a dime. He was certain that he would be unable to sleep.

Too much had occurred. There were too many questions-too many uncertainties-how could he ever sleep?

The memory of Garren in the woods as the Schell burned-Alex's solicitous concern for the beautiful, deadly creature and the surety that Alex wanted Garren were stimulants that would not release his mind from the frenetic pace he was sure to be caught in.

Still, despite his concerns, his body shut down. Sleep claimed him utterly. Cradled him in uneasy dreams and did not release him until fingers of light began to make their steady way from the eastern sky-pale fingers that scraped at the starlit blackness with such stealth that, though there was no true division between night and morning, within minutes the stars were banished and gray shadows grew from darkness.

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0325

After orgasm came sanity, with sanity came regret. Lying atop Garren's body Alex shivered though not from the cold. Misinterpreting his shiver Garren made some small noise and shadows detached themselves from larger ones and Alex was startled to find two more wolves come upon them bearing things in their arms. Garren dismissed them with a look and set about making a place for Alex to sleep. He spread out several pads and blankets and lowered Alex onto them.

"If you get cold in my arms, Cat, more blankets can be brought. If you hunger or thirst you need only say so and I will make sure you are satiated," Garren growled softly, nuzzling Alex's cheek with his full lips.

Alex let himself be drawn into Garren's warm embrace, spooned up in front of the huge man, covered with insulated blankets he closed his eyes and tried to block out just how whorish Garren could make him act. How quickly his ploy to be taken roughly had been dismissed by Garren and how he relished every minute of the slow seduction until Garren had taken him hard, had made him beg for more. Had made him buck and scream, filled so tight he wanted to die with pleasure.

Simple kisses had turned to long strokes of Garren's tongue over Alex's body. Clothing shed and every bare inch investigated. He had stared up at the star-lit sky and licked his lips, spreading his legs in anticipation of Garren's caress, that huge hand travelling down his belly causing his flesh to squirm away with an overly-sensitive speed.

"You taste so sweet, Cat, you taste so sweet," Garren choked out.

Alex wanted to taste Garren, wanted to kneel between the muscular thighs and suck on Garren's erection all night. He licked his lips again, just imaging that. He could taste the musk in his mouth, could feel the way Garren's narrow, muscular hips would slowly bump upwards, pulling his cock in and out.

"I want to taste you," Alex whispered making Garren moan. "Please let me taste you." He met Garren's lips, which had descended on him with sudden lust and their tongues lashed together plunging into the hot recesses back and forth, mating as surely as the two men would later.

Alex sucked on Garren's tongue, hard, bobbing his head a bit to imitate that action, which he longed to perform. He broke away, gasping. "Slide up here, Garren. Please. Oh God I want to taste you. I want you in my mouth. Now."

Garren had taken Alex's discarded clothes and made a pillow to place under Alex's head before he stood and disrobed. Even in the dim light Alex could make out the magnificent form. Garren was nothing short of male perfection. Massive and powerful and yet strangely sleek, dangerously graceful. And his erection was a dark club in the night.

Alex wanted it. Needed it more than was normal.

Spore?

If so, he didn't care. Not one bit.

Garren lowered himself down, teasing Alex by rubbing the tip of his cock over Alex's belly, his ribs, his nipples, first one and then the next, sliding his wet head over the rubbery flesh making Alex begin to pant.

Garren chuckled. "Are you so eager, mate?"

"Y-yes. God, yes," Alex hissed. Not satisfied until Garren slid up, supporting his body over Alex with one arm, using the other to feed Alex's open, hungry mouth, his cock.

"Then take it, Cat, take it," Garren growled, hissing in pleasure as the heat of Alex's mouth received him. Liquid fire and hot velvet tongue.

Alex's mind blurred, events crowding together. How long had Garren crouched over him, moving himself in and out of Alex's avaricious mouth? Not long enough for when he pulled back, greatening with pleasure, Alex had tried to grasp the impossible hard thighs and force Garren's cock back into his mouth. Wanting to taste the hot seed that was surely just about to spill.

Garren's belly was shivering with denied pleasure and his chest heaved.

"Stop, Alex. Stop or I will spill my seed now."

"But I want you to," Alex whined, lifting his head to follow the wet cock, but being held back easily by Garren. The strength in that hand no longer frustrated Alex, it turned him on. He really was helpless with Garren. He wasn't dangerous to him, wasn't even a slight threat. Quite simply Garren was the most deadly thing Alex had ever met. He would never flinch at Alex's anger or fear his moods. Consequently he would never be prone to leave him should the fear ever become too much. There was something utterly freeing in that.

"I want to come inside you, Cat. Deep inside you," Garren growled.

Alex was immediately assuaged. "Oh."

Garren chuckled at the eager note in his cat's voice. What a little baggage he was. Of course he would be scratching and spitting in the morning, but at least he didn't smell of hurt for the moment. Garren frowned thinking of that scent and then turned his attention back to their mutual pleasure.

"I am not going to let you sleep at all tonight, Alex. I intend to show what it means to be mated to a wolf."

Alex had purred. He had begun to beg when Garren's tongue had been attending to him for so long his legs felt numb from being parted, high and loose over Garren's shoulders. His anus was overly sensitive as Garren fingered it, bit it and swabbed it with his tongue, over and over again.

When Garren entered him hard and fast, Alex had cried out with the suddenness of it, the welcomed suddenness of being filled so tightly.

The thrusts were so slow at first that Alex wanted to kill Garren, but they increased in tempo until they were both panting and growling in each other's ears, whispering encouragement. They came together that first time, but Garren had only just begun to play with Alex.

When they were finally still, Alex was exhausted. After orgasm came sanity, with sanity came regret. He had not once asked to be taken back to Fox. Of course it was useless to ask, for even if Garren would do it, which he would not, Skinner had given him away, but he hadn't even tried. If Fox had seen how eagerly he had spread his legs and his lips, he would never believe Alex's vows of love. And even now, in the warmth of Garren's arms, in the surety that Garren was correct, he did need the big wolf now, even then, he longed for Fox. Longed to have those moss eyes closing in sleep as Fox nestled his face into Alex's neck and fell sweetly asleep atop him. God he had never wanted Fox more than this minute. When he couldn't have him. Skinner had given him away.

He closed his eyes tight and tried to bury the way that bit of knowledge made him feel. Given away, tossed aside. For so long that was how he felt thinking his parents had not wanted such a disrespectful boy. It hurt too much to feel that way again. And yet, he could not let it go. Skinner had not been happy to do it, he knew, but he had done it. He had kept Fox and given him away like the trash he probably still thought Alex was.

Garren growled in his ear and demanded that he stop hurting, making Alex almost smile. Alex resolutely made himself sleep, leaving Garren to stare at the dying night sky alone and uncertain of what to do. Uncertain after centuries of certainty.

He could let his mate hurt. He did not want to let his mate hurt. When he sensed that the little cat was asleep he spoke softly. "Akael, what would you do?" He knew, without having to sense him, that his old protector was near.

Akael didn't rise from his position nearby but with a warning growl he sent the other packmembers away. It wouldn't do for them to overhear words between he and the young Garren.

"You must do as you see best, Garren," he said respectfully.

"Yes, but what is that? He is hurting and I don't like it. Me! Me who cares little for human frailty."

"It is not human frailty you concern yourself with, it is your mate's happiness. That is nothing to be ashamed of. Human or no, you have picked him. He is your mate now for his whole, short life." Akael sighed. "You will learn."

Garren glared into the sky. He had not wanted to think of the brevity of Alex's lifespan. "He aches for the pretty Fox, but I think mostly because he thinks Skinner threw him away. Why does he care?"

Akael sighed impatiently. "Do you not know anything of humans, pup?"

Both of them were surprised by the brief departure back into Garren's youth when Akael had leave to call him such, but neither mentioned the breech.

"Your mate feels like he is cast aside like something unworthy. He must feel that Skinner did not care for him. And for that to hurt he must have cared for the Ascendant."

"I had not considered that," Garren muttered. "But, surely he knows the foolish reason Skinner did voluntarily give him up! Not because he didn't desire Alex, but in order to secure his precious balance."

Akael was silent for a moment. "I will not dare to interfere in whether you align with the Ascendant, but if Murdoch comes for Alex I will try to rip him to shreds, friend of yours or no. I am not as certain as you, Garren, that Murdoch will not want him. Your father did not trust him fully. And nor should you. When Josia and Emil come to share in the honor of guarding Alex, I will inform them of my concern."

Garren was stunned, but didn't show it. His father had been as loyal to Murdoch as he himself had been. His old taskmaster leaned back and it was apparent he meant to sleep while Alex did. Though he could demand Akael's attention, and though Akael would certainly answer him as obediently as any other packmember, Garren was still understandably respectful of his old protector and fell silent too, his mind in even more a tangle. Josia, his father's brother, and Emil, the most vicious wolf Garren had ever known, older than Josia, but younger than Akael. Both would take their lead from Akael. As Garren's old protector and taskmaster, Akael's rank was higher than that of any other save for Garren's own littermates. Thus, would all three wolves distrust Garren's old master. They would never go against Garren's decision, but they would not want the true Ascendant near their charge.

An interesting situation.

Why hadn't his father fully trusted Murdoch? It made no sense. Murdoch had been no threat. He hadn't ascended; he was trapped in human frailty for the most part. He had needed the pack for protection. Why then? It did bear thinking on. He found himself wishing, for the first time, that his father were still alive. He had never needed him for direction before. And wouldn't now save for that question.

Garren thought over Skinner's proposal. If he aligned with Skinner then Murdoch would become his enemy. Murdoch would have no choice but to attack the pack wherever they roamed. He had no illusions that many wolves would die if that were the way of things. But, he had his mate to consider as well. Though he had not decided fully, he sent out a command to the pack, one which caused every member concern, but one which was obeyed.

Alex muttered in his sleep. Uneasy even there in dreams. What did he dream of that made him begin to twist in Garren's arms? Garren growled then, quietly as Alex whimpered in fear. Was it Murdoch? Akael was beside him suddenly, staring down at Alex with studied concern. If it were Murdoch come to reap the bounty of his mate's beauty then he would never rest until Murdoch paid the price of such an action. What could make his brave little cat afraid?

"He dreams only," Akael finally said and returned to his position.

Garren relaxed a small bit, but frowned still as Alex shivered. He pulled him closer and whispered what he hoped were comforting words in Alex's ear until Alex stilled and slid into silent slumber.

"So you have decided?" Akael asked in response to Garren's earlier command to the pack.

"I have not. I merely prepare the pack."

Akael fell silent once more. Garren stayed awake for several more hours, uneasy. His thoughts consumed with Murdoch coming and taking Alex in dreams.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0645

Mulder was roused slightly when he heard the sound of twigs snapping and knew someone was walking just outside the circle of tents—walking away from the campsite. He came awake then, absolutely, without any residual confusion that some wakers suffered those first delicate minutes of consciousness. He looked to see Scully snuggled deep in the confines of her navy colored, insulated sleeping bag. One strand of red hair peeked out like an antenna, but nothing more.

He dressed hurriedly. Wanting, for some reason, to find the person who was leaving camp. As he carefully unzipped the tent flap and re-zipped it, he grew impatient. The footsteps on dry twigs were inaudible now. Whoever it was, though, had been walking toward the small river. He hurried in the same direction, wondering at his impatience to confront the person who he followed.

A small part of him knew who he would find—needed to find—to deal with!

And so, he was not surprised to come upon Skinner standing in the newly birthed light by the river, hands in his front pockets and staring up at the sunrise. He was taken aback for a moment at how different Skinner seemed. He wore faded denim jeans and a cable knit, cream sweater. His glasses were absent and Mulder wondered if he even needed them anymore. The familiar surge of desire for Skinner pulsed for a moment before Mulder resolutely pushed it aside.

"Plotting whom else to bargain away?" he asked. The sarcasm in his voice was no less bitter for its soft tone.

Skinner turned his face toward Mulder, closed his eyes slowly and then reopened them. He seemed about to say something, before he rubbed one hand over his balding head and just stared intently at Mulder.

"What? You aren't bothering to deny it?" Mulder moved toward him, his eyes narrowed and furious. "Who's next? Scully? Langly? Who?"

"Fox. Please don't look at me that way. I know what you are thinking but I honestly did what I thought was best." When Fox just glared at him, the hazel eyes filled with such reproach, Skinner felt the heaviness on his chest magnify. "I have no desire to separate you from Alex. I know I could... but I won't." He turned from Fox then, looking at dawn's riotous arrival on the low brush and slow-moving water. The display of color was almost a mockery in its beauty. "When I am assured that Garren will ally with myself and the others who will fight Murdoch—I will let you go to him as well. To go to Alex."

Mulder frowned at that and looked at Skinner through lash-shaded eyes. "You'd give us both away?" he said with a hint of scorn in his monotone voice.

Skinner looked at him. "I want you both. I love you both. You I love with my entire self—Alex I wanted to cherish—wanted to show him that not everyone would betray him." He gave a sarcastic laugh, "Fine job I did, too. But, if there is to be any type of peace in this new world, then I have to be willing to sacrifice everything." He made as if to touch Mulder's face and then withdrew his own hand as if Mulder was radiating some intense, unfriendly heat.

"You didn't even warn us," Mulder whispered.

"And what would you have done? Run?" Skinner shook his head. "Mulder, this world is not the same one in which you skipped about for years—Scully behind you, believing in you is not quite enough to protect you anymore. You wouldn't last a second-"

"Which is why we, Alex and I, agreed to be with you—for our prote-"

Skinner laughed, hollowly. "You agreed to what I wanted you to agree to, Fox. I didn't even really give you a choice did I?"

Mulder lifted his chin defiantly. "What do you hope to prove? This martyr act isn't working. You gave my lover away to some creature. I want you to get him back. Now!"

Skinner considered him, took in the flushed face, the pretty lips and he wanted him. Wanted to pretend for just a few hours that they were still in D.C. that there had never been such a thing as the Mediggo or the opening. Wanted to take that look from Fox's face—the same wild, distrustful look he had given him when Scully had been dying in the hospital.

"I can't. But I can let you go to him, Mulder. Either way, you will be forced to accept that he isn't ever going to be just yours alone."

Mulder blanched at that. For whatever reason, he did not want to go to Garren. He wanted Alex to come back. He knew with certainty that he would, in fact, go to Garren if that was the only way to be with Alex, but that was not something he looked forward to. Those gas flame eyes, that cruel smile. He had seen more warmth in the eyes of serial killers. Which, of course, Garren was. Minus even the more interesting psychosis that caused serial killer to kill. No, he mused cynically, Garren just liked to eat humans.

He shuddered. This was what had Alex?

"Not good enough," Mulder insisted. Denying that his not wanting to go to Garren had anything to do with the fact that he felt like hitting and holding Skinner at the same time. He could not forget the sweet moments after Mikhail, when he had wanted Walter all for himself. How sweet Walter had been. How much he loved him. Of course, he knew who he wanted—needed—to be with, but looking into the sad, chocolate eyes, he could barely keep from going to him for succor when he had caused it all.

No. Murdoch had caused it all. Was still working his dark purpose in the world, even as they stood there in the cool morning.

"Fox, my sweet Fox," Skinner sighed, unable to prevent his hand from sliding down Fox's arm. "It is what can happen for now. Antonio was telling you the truth last night. The world is in shambles. It is as bad as if the invasion you were so sure would happen had happened. Maybe worse. People are being slaughtered-"

"And what role did you play in it?" Mulder asked. "You went to end it—both you and Antonio, but you were part of it weren't you? Garren calls you Ascendant and Antonio, too. What are you? What did you do? What exactly is going on dammit!"

Skinner wasn't surprised by the questions, only that Fox had waited so long to ask them. The old Mulder would have been hounding him for the truth as soon as he had been hustled into the helicopter and flown westward. "It is not as simple as you might imagine."

"Indulge me," Fox sneered. "Pretend I have an extremely high IQ and that I can understand what you tell me."

Skinner nodded and began his tale. When he finished telling Mulder everything—all he knew from beginning to end, including the ceremony and the conversations with Baku, the history of the pure bloods—it was full morning. The heat of the day was already beginning to make itself known and insects were buzzing in the bushes and over the relatively still waters at the bank of the river.

Several minutes of silence followed Skinner's last words. Finally, Mulder looked again at Skinner with something less than full hostility. "I am not going to pretend that it is okay for me that you gave Alex away. But, I will say that I understand your reasons."

Skinner knew that Mulder did not condone his actions, never would, but he hoped that by letting go of him—the very idea of which tore at his heart with intractable claws—would one day lead Fox to forgive him for what he had to do. He wished he could be selfish enough to keep Fox—to keep him in spite of the certain hatred that would follow. Or he simply wished not to be responsible for the balance. That delicate balance between good and evil. Even were Murdoch to be destroyed there was enough evil in the world to counter good intentions. It would make things so much easier. If he had a choice, he would have given away his power and responsibility and lived out a happy life with Fox Mulder.

"There must be some way to get Garren to give Alex back to us."

Skinner stiffened at Mulder's word choice. He had said, "to us" not "to me." It was telling. "Fox, do you not want to leave me?"

Mulder frowned at the quiet whisper. Skinner's eyes were wide with something akin to hope and he wanted to dash it, to hurt him like he had hurt Alex. But he couldn't. "No. No I don't. But, I will go where Alex is. You have to understand that. And, Walter, you hurt him. I can forgive the rest, eventually, as I know why you did it, but I can't forgive that. Not that."

Walter nodded. The memory of Alex's beautiful face, so shocked, so betrayed, hurt him, too. "I can never forgive myself for that. I can only say that you must believe I would never have given him to Garren if I didn't know that Garren would treat him like a priceless jewel. Nothing would have made me do it, if I thought Garren might ever hurt Alex."

Mulder glared. "He's raped him! He's drugged him somehow—I'd say that is hurt enough, Skinner!"

"He's not drugged him, Mulder. He has bonded with him as I have with you, only in a different way. Alex loves you, Fox, but he wants to be with Garren, too. You know it as well as I. Alex told me so himself, and he admitted that he had upset you with the knowledge."

Mulder looked away. "I don't care! He loves me. He wouldn't leave me." The last words were almost whispered, confused and full of doubt. "Would he?"

Skinner did pull Mulder into his strong embrace then, cradling Fox's lean body to his with a groan. "I don't believe he would, Fox. I don't believe he would."

"I need to see him. Neither you nor Garren will stop me," Mulder promised, pulling away from Skinner. Their eyes met. "I need to know that he is all right. He needs to know that I want him here."

The implication was clear and though Mulder's intention was not to dig the blade of self-recrimination deeper into Skinner's heart, he did. There was no way around the guilt. He had hurt Alex, had promised never to give him up or let another have him. He had given Alex a glimpse of what it was like to be protected and safe and then had betrayed him as surely as anyone ever had. He would never forget the way that had felt, or how Alex's pain had washed over him like a tidal wave—a tsunami charging toward delicate shores.

He nodded.

xx

Mulder made his way back to camp, hoping to find Scully up and alone. He was relieved to see her dressed and waiting for him just outside her tent. She gave him a small smile as she sat lacing up her boots. He took a moment to study her as she attended to her recalcitrant laces. There was a sad tilt to her lips, which he suspected had everything to do with Antonio's absence.

"Did you speak to Skinner already?" she asked, looking up at him through a fell of red hair.

He was put back for a moment before nodding. "I did."

"And," she hedged finishing with her boots and standing.

"And his giving of Alex stands. Of course he is now willing to let me go as well in order to be with him."

"Do you believe that?" Scully asked, a worried frown marring the otherwise smooth brow. Her eyes were narrowed with concern and Mulder shrugged. "Well?"

"What reason would he lie now?"

"To lull you into a false sense of security," she said sharply, as if worrying that his mind had indeed made it back intact from Mikhail's care.

"Security is something I don't think I will ever feel again. Not really," Mulder said bitterly. He looked around the camp. "Where is everyone? Shouldn't they be up by now?"

"The Gunmen came out for some food a bit ago, but are officially protesting Alex's departure and won't come out again for three hours."

At Mulder's confused look, she shrugged. "I don't know why three hours, Mulder, I just repeat the odd things they say."

"And your mother? Antonio?"

At the mention of Antonio's name she raised a brow and stared at him until he had felt as if he had cursed loud and long in front of her and an entire cathedral of the devout. She cleared her throat when she felt he had been sufficiently stared down and said, "My mother said she wanted to go for a walk and Antonio went with her. The coward."

Mulder nodded, not at all unhappy that Antonio was on the outs for the moment. Scully was fully focussed on their joint mission. A niggling guilt informed him that their mission was certainly his mission, just as nearly every mission he had ever dragged her into had been. And yet her outfit suggested that she was ready to go traipsing through heavy brush and take on the Consortium, if the Desert Eagle .50 Magnum at her side could be considered any indication.

At his nod toward the black, deadly looking weapon she half smiled. "Frohike is, among other things now, an assassin in training, or something like that. He wanted me to have a weapon."

"He didn't get me one," Mulder objected, his eyes flickering to the silent tent that housed the protesting Gunmen.

"Yes, well I did ask about that, but he said that you had... never mind," she ended abruptly. "Let's go to your tent—look through yours and Krycek's things for the med-"

"What did I have?" Mulder pressed. He placed one hand on her narrow shoulder staring intently into her eyes.

"Mulder, it doesn't matter. Are we going-"

"What, Scully?"

Scully sighed. "Fine. He said you had Krycek and that was weapon enough."

Mulder looked away and Scully was horrified to see the look of naked anguish that passed over his features. His lips tightened with determination and he released her shoulder. "Let's go get those medallions and go find out where Alex is—or, barring that, find Baku and get some damn answers."

She hurried after him, her little legs having to double his pace in order to keep up, but she didn't ask him to slow his pace. What use would that be? Mulder never slowed his pace, he plunged headlong into things. Of course, now all of them were headlong—at least her partner and she were used to it.

Finding the medallions proved simple as Alex had kept them close to him, in a small bag in which he kept a change of underwear and socks. Mulder's throat moved reflexively as he touched Alex's things.

"We'll get him back, Mulder," Scully promised. "And you won't have to go off with that wolf either. What could Skinner be thinking to say such a thing?"

She was shaking her head as Mulder placed one of the two medallions around her neck. "He was thinking to assuage me and Alex-"

"Assuage his guilt more likely," she sneered.

"No doubt," Mulder agreed. He put on the second medallion and the two were silent for a moment. "I thought I would maybe feel different—maybe become invisible," Mulder drawled.

Scully shrugged. "Well, either they work or they're just another smoke and mirror routine, which is my personal bet-"

"Dana Scully, skeptic to the bitter end," Mulder chuckled.

She gave him a look and continued. "You would think super wonder twin power necklaces would have some other quality—some pizzazz wouldn't you?"

He raised the tent flap for her and gave her what he hoped was a stern look.

"It is irrelevant anyway as we are going to go charging out into the badlands with one gun and—well that's it. If the medallions work it would be one chalk up for us. We are due one."

He ended up following her from the camp, her determined stride leading south and they walked for several minutes before conferring again on the possible location of Baku.

Skinner watched them go, knew what they were about and sensed that Baku had left in the night. He wouldn't stop the two from their search though, perhaps them being alone, together as a team again might give Mulder some purpose, some way to get through the next few days of waiting for Garren's decision. Guilt plagued him but even more so because he knew he would have Mulder again, as often as possible before he would cross the bridge of giving him up. He had already informed Antonio that he was to take the rest of the group on to San Francisco that afternoon and wait for him there.

Of course that would mean Scully and Mulder only had a few hours of togetherness, but it was all he could give them. He tried to rationalize the taking of Scully, the second most important person to Mulder, from him so soon as Antonio was not staying San Francisco after they arrived, but had planned to leave immediately for South America and most certainly the Scully's would go with him. So, Mulder would have lost her anyway.

The rationalization did not make him feel better, but he did not dwell on it. Things were in motion now. One of his brothers had been taken, his zone overrun and destroyed. Others were fighting and doing well, but he would not risk it. Giving up Mulder had not been his original intention. He had simply planned on weathering the storm of Mulder's fury and then hoping Garren tired of Alex soon—though he had no real hope of that—and then settling down with Mulder, if not with both Mulder and Krycek, for the rest of their lives.

Antonio and Maggie walked in from the east and Maggie gave Skinner a tired, sad smile and asked him if he were at all hungry. Without waiting for an answer she bean to arrange things for a meal for them all. The Gunmen sent out Langly to fetch them food when it was done and neither Skinner nor Antonio commented on their rebellion. They would have to come out in a few hours for the trip anyway.

"What if the Gunmen want to come to South America with me, Skinner?" Antonio asked as he sat alongside Skinner at a foldout table.

"No. Mulder needs them—if he stays with me," Skinner mumbled.

Antonio simply raised his brows, but said nothing in response to that insanity—Mulder having a choice in anything. Skinner was certainly not in the mood to hear that he treated his chattel too well.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0800

Garren frowned at Alex, a dark ferocious glare that didn't phase the young man at all. "Alex, you will eat and that is the end of it," he repeated for the third time. "I told you, you would see Fox today, there is no need to protest in this way."

Alex glared back at him. "I am not protesting anything as I have said to you two times. That would indicate that I thought I could effect the outcome of this situation—that maybe I thought you and Skinner both would just leave Fox and I alone. I am just not hungry. I don't have to eat as much as some people do." This was directed at Akael who had happily eaten several platefuls of fire heated beans and corned beef hash. "And this isn't my meal of choice."

"Nor is it ours," Garren growled as he stood, pacing about the fire in the middle of the little clearing he claimed. "You'll eat," he assured Alex and was furious when Alex flipped up his middle finger at him. He grabbed Alex up and shook him a bit. "You forget that I am not averse to punishing you, Alex," he threatened. To show he meant it, Garren reached behind Alex and slapped his rear with a wide, strong hand.

Green eyes blazed at him, but there was no show of remorse or any intention of obeying. Garren made Alex sit and placed a plate on his lap, determined not to lose his temper. The pack members still allowed nearby grew restless and anxious at Garren's displeasure, unsure as to what to do. When the human mate flung the plate of beans and hash into Garren's face, they wanted to retaliate, to kill, but of course, they would do nothing of the sort.

Akael chuckled, receiving a hot topaz glare for his troubles. He finished his plate and stretched, standing. "Mate, your little Fox and the female are coming near. Do you want to have him find you being punished as you so richly deserve?"

Alex masked his surprise so well, that Akael would not have known he had affected the pretty male at all if his smell had not changed dramatically.

Alex shrugged. "I am still not fucking hungry." Garren raised his brow and looked to Akael. "If you don't eat, then you won't see Fox at all this day."

Alex glared at him, his eyes hot with the emotion he had denied Akael. "You bastard. I said I wasn't hungry. If you want me to eat, find something other than pork and beans, heated over a fire." At Garren's unflinching stare he gritted his teeth. "Jesus. Give me some then," he hissed, hating to give in, but unwilling to be denied the chance to see Fox.

"You won't have to eat this way forever, Cat," Garren informed him as he made another plate of the steamy, lard shiny food. "Just until the Ascendant realizes that I am not letting him take Fox from you. That we will be traveling with them. I am sure your Fox will fix you better meals than this."

The tone of Garren's voice, the way he so obviously had relegated Fox to a submissive role to Alex, grated on Alex. It was one thing for him to think of Fox that way, but quite another for someone else to assume. "I'll have you know that I cook for Fox. That if I relied on him to cook I would eat less than if you did."

Garren shrugged. He had no interest in the conversation anymore, Alex was eating. He had gotten his way. He was getting control of the situation. Soon Alex would obey prettily. He smiled at Akael, but the old wolf's face was averted, the amber glow of his eyes bright and intense. He was tracking something, Fox no doubt. He stood and left Alex sitting beside the dying fire.

"Akael, I go to speak to Skinner."

He was already ten paces away before Alex stopped him. "What? Why?"

Garren sighed. It was of no concern to Alex why. He had not even considered telling Alex where he was going. "Just eat, Alex. Wait for your Fox. Obey Akael-"

"What? Never! I won't even obey you," Alex ground out.

"Or he has my permission to—to make Fox leave."

Akael grinned again. It would have been far more normal for him to grant him permission to punish him physically, but he had been right in his estimation of his Garren's susceptibility for the lovely, changed male.

Garren made his way to the ascendants' camp only making his decision moments before he faced the two. It was one that would potentially harm his pack, something he didn't take lightly, but one that would perhaps, lead to security for Alex—and happiness too.

xx

"So where do you think Baku is?" Scully asked as she and Mulder made their way through the low brush.

"I don't even know if he is still around, but I have a feeling he is."

"You and your feelings, I've learned to trust both," Scully sighed reluctantly, making Mulder smile. "If he is around, he'll want to be close."

"But not too close," Mulder observed.

"Why Baku?" When Mulder gave her a questioning look she continued, "I mean he was working in Club Lune, and not even a high position from what I could see. Why him?"

"You mean why is he the one giving the messages, following us?" At her nod Mulder shrugged. "I guess even in strange occult circles there are spies."

"So he was a spy? Spying on the Meddiggo? Pretty dangerous considering their obvious-" she paused uncomfortably, "powers."

He shrugged. "I suppose so, but maybe he had the ability to block them—keep them from finding out he was a spy."

"That he was with the Dorl," Scully added. She explained quickly what she knew of the Dorl, what she had uncovered during his time with Mikhail.

"So this group, this Dorl is the same group that Dr. Reeves was working with," Mulder mused.

"I can't think of any other answer. And if that is true, and this Baku is somehow their leader, then we have to talk to him. Surely he'll be able to give us some information that will be helpful." She stopped suddenly and held one hand up to quiet the question that was forming on Mulder's lips. "The birds," she whispered.

He tried to listen to any birdsong but there was none. He stiffened. "There are no birds."

"Exactly," she agreed. "They went silent."

Both agents stood tense. Sudden cessation of sound, even in this odd world, meant only one thing. A predator was approaching, one that the animals of the forest disapproved of more than they did the arrival of two humans. The hairs on Mulder's neck stood rigid. Something was watching them. This wasn't the forest of Fort Bragg, but a sparser, more lowland forest, one that held little cover in most places, but still, something was watching them.

"What is it?" Scully asked, peering to the left and then the right.

"Something Tweetie and company don't like, that's for sure," Mulder whispered, the intense feeling of being watched increased and he had the insane urge to run, to grab Scully by the arm and run.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0830

"We are not going to accomplish anything in here," Langly complained for the third time. "No one cares if we are upset. Skinner doesn't care if Mulder is pissed about Alex, so why would he care if we were?"

Frohike looked at the back wall of the tent and brooded.

"Langly's right," Byers finally said. "We need to take action."

Frohike smiled darkly. "Yeah! We strike now, go get Alex and-"

"No, Melvin," Byers corrected, "we sneak out the back way—so no one knows what we're up to. We go get Mulder and the four of us go find Alex—maybe even the strange old man who started this."

"Baku," Langly whispered. "That is what his name is. I heard it when I went to tell Skinner that he was here to speak to him. You know when we thought Krycek was beating on Mulder."

"I never thought that," Frohike asserted. "Krycek wouldn't really hurt him." He had of course, been the one to tell the other two men that Krycek might have lost it and tried to hurt Mulder, based on his viewing of the assassin at the river's edge with Mulder. But, neither Byers nor Langly felt like reminding him of that.

"We can go out the back of the tent—cut our way out and then go to Mulder's tent and spring him."

"He isn't a prisoner," Langly sighed.

"We all are," Byers insisted.

"No, he and Scully left a bit ago. I heard them go by," Langly insisted.

Byers sighed. "So why didn't you tell us?"

"We were on strike."

Frohike looked through his bag of weapons and handed Byers a gun. ".357 Magnum. It'll knock down a charging grizzly. It'll stop anything. Take it."

Byers took the gun and checked it out with expert attention. His smooth motions and precise handling startled his two friends. He shrugged almost embarrassed. "I know guns a little. Don't like what some people do with them, but I know them."

"What d'ya have for me?" Langly asked. He leaned over the bag and peered inside curiously.

"Nothing. I gave Scully the only other spare I have the first day on this little trek," Frohike said apologetically as he strapped on his two ladies.

"Well, give me one of those," Langly pointed to the two guns strapped to Frohike's chest.

Frohike looked aghast. "No! These two are a team. We'll just have to rely on you to do the springing." He handed Langly a hunting knife and Langly took it with a whistle.

"Okay, I can hang with this. Rambo."

Frohike grinned. " Get cutting."

When the three had silently slid out the slit Langly had made in the back of the tent they immediately followed in the direction Langly had thought he heard Scully and Mulder take. They moved low and slow until they were certain neither Skinner nor Antonio would stop them. Byers had a feeling that Antonio was watching them leave and he flushed. He didn't want to think about what he and Antonio did two nights ago, how Antonio had made him do things he would never of thought of doing with a man. And he didn't want to think about the way he enjoyed those things, the way he had whimpered and begged toward the end of his ordeal. He was glad to be on a mission. It would help keep his mind off the feel of Antonio's hands on him, the dark gaze that was so tinged with red that he was nearly frightened.

They fell into line, single file like Indians hiding their numbers. They were silent and determined. They were heavily armed. They were ready for anything. Ten minutes later when they saw Garren coming toward them, they melted into the shrubs around them and hid. When Garren passed they reemerged onto the trail and grinning at having hidden from a werewolf of all things they continued, surely as silent as wraiths, smokelike and deadly. A few twigs snapped and branches swayed in their wake, Langly cursed when he stumbled, but they didn't consider that too much noise.

xx

Garren found Skinner and Antonio waiting for him. They were solemn looking, but otherwise they seemed utterly calm. "The friends of your Fox are hiding in the forest," Garren said casually.

"We know. They cut their way out of the tent, so we wouldn't know they were looking for Alex," Antonio said softly, his melodious accent making his words seem even more relaxed than he looked.

"Looking for Alex?" Garren asked, suspicious. "Why?"

"They're his friends—sort of," Skinner growled, his tone belying the ease of his expression, "they're understandably upset with this and worried about him."

Garren grinned, his lips revealing white, perfect teeth, teeth a Hollywood hopeful would kill for. "You can't control any of your people can you?"

Antonio's dark eyes flashed and he looked to Skinner as if to say, "Do we really need this clown?"

"What is your decision, Garren?"

"I will agree to align with you." Garren could smell the tension in the two ascendants fade with his words. "I have already informed the pack of this. Murdoch is our enemy." He didn't reveal to Skinner that the biggest reason by far that had compelled him to agree to this, had been his fear while holding Alex in his sleep. Fear that Murdoch might take him, take him in a place where Garren's claws and incredible strength—indeed not those of the entire pack—could save him. A place that only another ascendant could call one back from "I will help you and your brothers, but I have conditions."

Skinner felt a weight ease from his shoulders but he showed nothing on his face. "Name them."

"You will promise not to keep Fox from Alex."

"Done."

"You will not interfere ever between me and my mate. Ever To do so is to question my right to him, and that I, nor my pack, will tolerate."

"If you don't hurt him-"

"Ever, Ascendant, means ever. I will never hurt Alex, unless he needs to be punished. Though I owe you no explanation, I will say that Alex is safer with me than anywhere else on this earth."

"Fine, what else?"

"Nothing. I need nothing from you, Ascendant. You are the one who needs me." Garren grinned at the disgruntled looks on the ascendants' faces. They were born to rule the world but hadn't figured out how to do it. They were struggling with their powers as any child might struggle to learn to ride a bike, or to walk and they didn't even know of the struggle. "I would ask that I be able to take Fox to Alex now, but Fox is already on his way to my mate."

"Yes, I know," Skinner sighed.

Garren saw the same bewildered look in Skinner's eyes as he felt in himself. They were both powerful, Garren more used to his power, but both were letting weak humans call some of the shots. They were pathetic. He was glowering before he knew it and with a growl he turned away. "We both need to get control of our mates."

Skinner's laugh made Garren turn his head back to the big man. "Yes, but how in the hell do we do that?"

Garren glowered and because he had no answer, he remained silent. "What plans do you have against Murdoch," he ground out to change the subject of contrary, beautiful, changed males.

xx

McClellan Air Force Base
Sacramento, CA
Day Twenty
Hour 2030

Three stood at the back side of the room, watching. Four was still looking at his toe, watching it with what Three would call intense concern. One was looking at books that none of them could read yet and Two was having his hair stroked by one of the White Coats. Though Three was unsure as to what exactly he was, he knew that he and the others, Two, Four and One, were different from the White Coats. Too, he knew more than he was letting on. Though he had refused to speak, except to Four when he had made his toe leak, Three was comfortable with the language of the White Coats. He didn't understand why he was uncomfortable nor could he name the emotion they engendered within him, but if he could know, he would have named it mistrust, and even fear.

When Two cried out in the same tone as had Four when his toe had been injured, Three looked toward him. The White Coats had put another needle in Two making him make that sound of pain, but even more interesting was the wetness on Two's face. The word for wetness of the face came to Three. Tears. The White Coats were hurting Two, and Three didn't like it. He moved toward the huddled group and sat close behind Two, wrapping his arms about him. Physical contact had seemed to calm Four and so it was with Two.

"They feel empathy for one another," one of the White Coats said and Three just stared at her. Of course they did. Empathy, the ability to imagine how it must be for another, the cousin of sympathy. Did not all humans have the ability? Another thought made him uncomfortable. Were he and the others even human? Is that why the White Coats were so surprised, yes that was the word, when he or the others displayed human emotions and qualities?

"Hurt," Two whispered and Three held him closer.

"We have to give you shots, Sweetheart. You don't want to get sick do you? I mean you are perfect, but you are still susceptible to disease."

"Sick?" Two questioned. He knew what that word meant. So did Three. Four and One, sensing some tension from their brothers came forward, their expressions delightfully vague, almost ditzy.

"Sick as in having an illness, which may or may not destroy the body?" One asked worriedly.

"You aren't going to get sick if you get your shots, like good boys would," the female White Coat assured.

Three was fascinated with the female. Was she the mother? Her face was strangely lined and her hair more white than black, but he knew there had to be a mother. Her voice was different too. Softer than the males. She was smaller than most, but he had felt her grip, she was not weak.

As if thinking the same thing about her maternity, Four asked, "Are you the mother?"

She looked strange then, and Three could not name her expression. Her eyes widened, as did her mouth. She looked to her fellow White Coats and then back at the four of them, all wearing different shades of the same vacant look.

"Why no, no sweetie, I am not your mother. You don't have a mother. Only a donor."

Four looked to Two and One looked to Three. They were not sure of the response. They waited until Three nodded before Four and One went back to their previous occupations. Three stayed with Two until the White Coat who was not their mother placed her hand on Three's arm.

"Two has to go with Doctors Roberts and Shenk now. He is going to learn to shower. Let go of him, Three. It is your turn for a shot."

Three let Two go and he followed the two male White Coats from the room, his expression no longer vacant but relaxed. Three did not want a shot. He knew they hurt. He had had two already. He almost prevented her from giving him one, but the threat of "sick" stopped him. Sick was scarier then shots. He didn't cry out as had Two when the needle pierced his flesh, but he didn't like it.

The White Coats smiled at him, two males led him to the shower area as well. They asked him why he wouldn't talk like his brothers, but he just stared at them blankly. He knew Two and Four were not truly uncomfortable with the White Coats, but he had seen One considering them strangely. One and he had shared several looks of concern.

He could not explain why, he had no reason to wonder about the White Coats, but they smelled different, they were not the same as the others. He let himself be taught to shower and he had to admit that the feeling of their hands on him felt good. Especially when one had taken his penis in his hand and stroked it slowly, gently with soap and water. Three had almost spoken then, in surprise when his penis grew. The pleasure combined with the strange sight of his deformity nearly made him break his determination not to speak.

"God, they're so pretty," the White Coat who stroked him whispered to his fellow, staring into Three's pale, hazel eyes. The kaleidoscopic melange of green, blue, and brown almost hypnotizing the man. "Aren't they?"

"Yes, but we better watch it. The old man has guards posted. He's their father for God's sake!"

Three's attention was diverted from the pleasure in his penis when he heard those words. Father? Old man?

"But, they smell so good. Look how he is watching me? He doesn't know what I'm even doing, but he likes it." His words were proved when Three gave a small moan and moved into the man's eager hand.

"Jesus, of course he likes it," the second White Coat hissed, "but you aren't supposed to do it."

Three noted that after that exchange the pleasure ended and the hand was removed. His shower lesson was pleasant after that but the White Coat's hand did not return to its pleasurable exercise again. Three wondered at the point of the shower, wondered why it was necessary to learn such a task. It seemed a waste of time to him.

Later, Three and the others were taught how to dress themselves, what type of clothes suited what type of weather. Again, Three wondered at the usefulness of such things. One strenuously objected to wearing clothes. He repeatedly removed the articles put on him and Three watched with curious fascination as One's mouth kept moving oddly. The lower lip grew bigger it seemed, especially when one of the White Coats would insist he put back on his shirt. Three didn't mind the clothing too much, neither did Four or Two, but One would not cooperate. Finally, he was left alone, allowed to remain in only a loose robe, to which he did not object.

Three knew that the White Coats did not know how much data he had inside his mind, nor did he think the others knew. Somehow, someway, he was different from the others. That was not something he wanted. He was only comfortable with the others and did not want to be different from them. But, they were all different from one another in small ways, so he supposed this difference was not so great.

When it was time for the lights to go out, he found he wasn't so different from his brothers as he thought. They all pulled covers from their assigned beds and made a large place to sleep. Curling together, nervous about the sensations they were all experiencing, this dulling of senses, they all fell into their first sleep.

xx

Salmon Falls, CA
West of Santa Rosa
Day Twenty
Hour 0830

Alex waited until Garren was long gone before standing and finishing dressing. He had eaten all he would. All he wanted now was to not look like some cheap harlot when he saw Fox. He knew his lips were swollen, not from Garren's kisses alone, but from the delicious slide of Garren's erection. He flushed anew as the memory of his own hunger assaulted him.

He had a name for it now, but what good did knowing that he was infected with some sort of spore do him? Infected or not, he still acted like some eager bitch. Was there a cure for it? Now, that would be interesting. And the one person who could perhaps find such a thing, if it even existed, was Mulder. He spared Akael a glance, startled anew at the seemingly relaxed nature of this creature. Though Garren was entirely different from the other wolves Alex had seen, more controlled, this wolf was even more so.

"What do you think you are doing anyway? I don't need a shadow."

Akael just stared at him a small smile on his lips.

It was infuriating for Alex. He had grown used to his own threat, had gotten so used to being deadly that he hadn't even noticed it anymore. That Mulder had never guessed Alex's dangerousness had been a credit to Alex's acting ability. Now, this man—this thing—was looking at him like an amusing child. Amber eyes glowed and no ire rested there. He wanted to pick up something and throw it at the big man, just to see if that smile could be wiped away.

"You think I need or want a protector? Well, you're wrong!"

Akael stood then. "Are you getting ready to go look for the little Fox?"

"Go to Hell. If you want to know what I am going to do, then you figure it out," Alex growled. He put on his boots, laced them tight and stood. "You're wasting your time you know."

"How's that?" Akael asked smoothly.

"I'm not going to be Garren's mate for long, so you might as well get used to not shadowing me."

Akael nodded solemnly. "I see."

"You don't believe me? Fine. But, I am wasting my time." He turned and after a moment's consideration he went east.

"Fox is no longer coming straight to us, Alex, he is more in a northerly direction," Akael supplied helpfully. "Garren passed he and the little female not so many minutes ago.

Alex didn't appear to hear the advice though he switched directions and headed north. He needed to see Fox, to tell him that Garren had infected him, had made him want him. He knew it would change nothing, but maybe Fox would understand.

xx

McClellan Air Force Base
Sacramento, CA
Day Twenty-One
Hour 0530

Spender gave the two operatives their final orders. They were to infiltrate Skinner's little, merry band and get a message to Krycek. Once that was done they were to help set up the retrieval. Spender had no doubts whatsoever that Alex would come to him. Perhaps not to heel as he had been trained so well to do, but come nonetheless. From observation satellites Spender had been able to easily track Skinner's group and could even see the print on whatever book Scully's placid mother was reading at any given time.

Though the United States government ceased to exist, its little toys were still at the ready. Most interesting to the remnants of The Consortium were the spy satellites, the so—called space observation points. Satellites that could reposition themselves and hone in on any given location and see a mosquito land on a baby's palm. The alien technology had no trouble interfacing with the technology of man, for it was essentially the same. One the child of the other. The technological revolution was nothing but the bastard offspring of compliance with the aliens, rewards as it were for illicit coupling.

The spy satellites, fully armed and deadly, were positioned around the globe with utility descriptions as innocuous as geographical study, used by geologists in their quest to better understand Earth. Of course these satellites did function in many benign uses and those who used them had no true idea of what they were capable. From his vantage point in the main relay room, surrounded by dozens of high resolution monitors and technical equipment straight from a paranoid movie of Big Brother, Spender could even see what Murdoch was doing. The sights that greeted him were unsettling, even to one such as he.

Tapping into the defense computers, after operatives had infiltrated several U.S. defense bunkers and had physically set the power parameters to the non-effected alien power source, had been simple, they had always had access to the satellites even if Uncle Sam was turning a blind eye to it. The operatives were still waiting for him to dismiss them, having already been shown all the various actors in their upcoming production. They were trained killers, excellent deep cover operatives and yet they seemed nervous.

Spender forgave them their weakness.

It was quite unsettling to see the creatures that now roamed, and even more so to know that they would be in the midst of them. Skinner, they were told, would not be easily fooled. It was for this reason that these particular operatives were chosen. Not only were they efficient, a nice pseudonym for being extremely good at killing, but they looked as innocent as any Iowa farmer. Open faces, free from lines of worry or strife, soft smiles and even softer voices. He was pleased with the choice.

He dismissed them and they didn't hesitate to go. They would succeed or they would be killed by Skinner or those man things that changed into wolves, back and forth sometimes, like ripples on water. Intelligence had supplied that the wolves were afraid of Skinner, too afraid to stay changed for long. It worked well for Spender that that was so. His operatives would stay clear of the man/wolves things anyway. Just to be on the safe side.

Other precautions had been taken as well. Neither operative knew why the message to Krycek was being delivered. Neither knew anything of the clones and so could not be forced to talk. Nor could their thoughts be plucked from their minds as easily as might have been. They had been told only to repress any thoughts save for the false background they had been drilled with. Alien technology had even helped them there. With the correct use of light, drugs and repetition, the operatives were close to believing their own cover.

Spender was pleased. Very pleased. Soon Alex would be with him again. With the help of the little clone, Alex would soften toward Spender and they would be together. Sweet, deadly Alex. He shivered. Of course with the acquisition of the true Fox Mulder as a benefit, he would be forgiven all. Bill Mulder would most likely give the delicious, troublesome agent to Murdoch. The Consortium would be held in high esteem by that powerful, if frightening man. Yes, all was proceeding well. This was going to be a wonderful, exciting world.

End of The Alliance

xx

uvalley@msn.com
Book III: The Conquering

Outstanding Skinner AU
Honorable mention

DATE: 06/19/00
RATING: Very NC-17
SPOILERS: Probably, but do you care?
SUMMARY: Alternate Universe After the events of The Changing, the world is ruled by magic and Mulder has to learn to find a role for himself in the new paradigm.
WARNING: Sexual Assault, Angst, explicit sex (consensual and non-consensual) between hot men, magic, and B&D. If that isn't your thing or you are below the age of consent. DO NOT READ!!!!!!!!!! My Krycek has two arms and he's going to keep them thank you.
DISCLAIMER: They aren't mine. They belong to CC and 1013 Productions. I don't make any money... wouldn't take it if I could, just borrowing, you can have them back.
FEEDBACK: Please and thank you. uvalley@msn.com
Website if applicable:
http://www.slashingmulder.com/Author_N.htm
THANKS TO: Megaera, Jo B, Cerulean_Blue, Helen, Bee Lan for beta and great ideas! Not to mention gracious support and patience. Thanks too to all whom thought it best to urge me to hurry up with the clones already, you know who you are. Any remaining mistakes are due to pure stubbornness on my part.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]