Go to notes and disclaimers


A Rat in a Foxhole An X-Files furfic
by Cattnip


Snow blanketed the forest floor. Everywhere you looked there was white. Trees stretched their bare limbs toward an empty, gray sky.

Then, in the midst of the pristine, untrampled snow, two shiny black dots appeared. Then a nose. Then a burnished auburn head popped up in a flurry of white, shaking the snow vigorously from its top.

Mulder the fox blinked. Now where had that damned rat gone?

Mulder had been chasing Alex again. Vaguely, he wondered what he would actually do with the slippery little rat if he ever caught him. So far, he hadn't had to worry, although Alex had not been sprinting as fast as usual, Mulder noticed. Must be the cold.

Mulder arched his neck carefully out of the snow bank, just in case Alex might be lurking nearby, ready to bolt. He sniffed the air... not even a hint of mouse butt.

"Damn it!" Mulder pulled his rapidly-freezing body out of the little burrow he had dug for himself. It was colder than usual today—there was no sun, and even his friend Scully the squirrel had decided to sleep in. He was all alone out here in the forest...except for the rat, who always seemed to be in his way.

That rat is always under my paws, Mulder grumbled to himself as he tramped through the snow on the way back to his den. He couldn't wait to get inside and huddle under the covers in his warm, cozy bed.

I must have been crazy to come out today! Mulder's eyes began to mist at the mere thought of his warm home. I'll get the rat tomorrow, he told himself. He always told himself that.

Mulder spied the entrance to his den in the distance, and he scampered the last few yards. Home! Finally. I'll make myself something hot to drink and break out that stash of sunflower seeds I've been hiding from Scully all winter. Heh heh heh...

The tingling began in his ears and tail. His nose quivered, and Mulder's whiskers caught a subtle, but distinct stirring in the air.

I've got a visitor!

Hunkering down with his nose to the ground, Mulder tread on silken paws to the edge of his den and sniffed. The scent was much sharper here, and not completely unfamiliar.

Well well, so one of my neighbors has come a-calling, eh? Mulder grinned, showing all of his sharp, white teeth. Time to roll out the welcome wagon.

Silently, Mulder slipped into the burrow with the stealth of a snake. Nothing stirred inside. All was dark and quiet, and none of his belongings had been disturbed—the usual clutter had been perfectly preserved, just as Mulder left it.

"That's how a man likes his den," Mulder muttered, keeping his eyes sharp. Crunch! "What the—?" Mulder looked down and saw the crushed empty sunflower seed shell beneath his paw. My seeds! I don't believe this. Mulder's vision blurred, and his head felt funny. So help me, if whoever broke in here has eaten all my seeds, I'll break their neck!

His eyes glittering with thoughts of revenge and his mouth set in a grim line, Mulder crept along the floor, following the trail of shells, the knot of anger in his stomach growing with each step. The trail ended at his bed in the corner, and there his bedcovers had been fashioned into a circular lump in the middle of the bed.

Slinking to the edge of the bed, he placed his paws on the mattress and slowly lifted his ears above the edge to listen. Breathing. Faint, but whoever was there was definitely sound asleep.

"What pretty teeth you have, grandma." Mulder grinned again as he raised himself up inch by inch, teeth bared. He grabbed the covers with both paws. Time to rise and shine, sleeping beauty...

Mulder jerked the covers away. Nothing! He blinked at the bare mattress.

"What the—?" he said for the second time that afternoon. He gave the covers a frustrated toss.

"I'm down here, Mulder."

"What?" Mulder's head whipped from one side to the other, looking frantically around the room. "Who said that?" He balanced himself on his back legs, bunching his front paws into fists. "Come out here and fight, you coward!"

A sigh. "I'm already here. Look down, Mulder. Down!"

Mulder looked down at his back paws. There, lying on the dirt floor and looking very perturbed was Alex the rat.

"Alex?" Mulder was genuinely puzzled. Then his anger flared. "You ate my sunflower seeds!"

"Well, it was the only thing you had to eat!" Alex shot back. "And I'm amazed I was able to find anything in this mess. What did you do, give your maid the millennium off?"

"Hey, I'm a fox, and this is how a fox likes his den!" Mulder reached down to pick the little rat up by his tail, but he was too slow—Alex skittered across the floor and out of Mulder's sight.

"Now where did you go?"

There was a harsh peal of laughter behind Mulder's head. "What's the matter, fox, can't you keep up?"

Mulder whipped around, and there was Alex perched atop his cupboard, half of his body obscured by shadows.

"I can keep up just fine." Mulder glared at Alex, stomping his paws as he made his way toward the cupboard. "Come down from there."

"Why don't you come up here and get me?"

"You—!" Mulder knew full well that for all his craftiness and skill, he would break his neck if he tried to clamber up that cupboard after Alex, and Alex knew it too.

Mulder raised up on his back paws again, balling his fists and planting them on his hips. "I guess I can't keep up with a scrubby little rat with no friends who scavenges for his meals in garbage piles and steals from other people's houses!" Mulder spat. He lifted his chin, quite proud of himself.

Mulder fully expected a snappy comeback, but instead he watched as the rat's whiskers drooped. His black eyes darted away from Mulder's gaze, but not before he saw they were glistening.

"Hey," Mulder softened his tone. "I—I'm sorry."

"Sure you are," Alex' voice was hard and flat.

A strange, unfamiliar sensation gnawed at Mulder's stomach. He wasn't sure, but he thought it might be—guilt.

"No, really. I'm sure you have lots of friends!" Mulder offered encouragingly. "And I ... don't know for a fact that you dig through garbage."

Alex covered his face with a paw. "Oh god."

"You never smell like garbage, or have it hanging from your whiskers or your tail—"

"Mulder, would you please shut up!"

"Hey, I'm only trying to help!"

"I know. That's the problem!"

Mulder blew air out of the corner of his mouth in a final gesture of frustration. "Fine! If you want to be stubborn, go right ahead. I'm going to take a nap." Mulder spun on a heel. "You know your way out."

Alex didn't budge.

"Are you hard of hearing, rat?" Mulder called from across the room. Taking his bedcovers into his mouth, he gave them a tug onto the bed.

Alex was still there, not moving, just staring down at the floor. He suddenly looked frightened.

Mulder padded back to the cupboard and looked up at Alex. "What's your problem?" he demanded. "You got yourself up there, now get yourself down!" He smirked. "What is it Alex, you want me to go find your mommy?"

Alex fixed him with a heated, hateful glare that actually caused Mulder to take a step back.

The rat's whiskers twitched, and he emerged slowly from the shadows. When Mulder saw him, he gasped.

Alex' front leg was missing!

"What—happened?" Mulder couldn't take his eyes off the spot where Alex' leg had been. The wound was still fairly fresh; although he had licked it clean, the area was still very red and inflamed, and it looked painful.

Alex gave a dejected sigh. "Remember those bear trappers that came through last week?"

Mulder nodded.

"Well, one of their little toys got me."

Mulder didn't know what to say. All of his earlier bluster had melted away at the sight of Alex's injury.

"Jesus! Why didn't you say something?"

Alex puffed air into his cheeks, and gave a mild screech. "Why, so you could eat me? Or whatever you plan to do when you finally catch me?" The rat shook his head. "I've already been chomped once. A second time? No thank you!"

Mulder lowered his chin. He had never stopped to think what Alex might feel about being chased by him all this time. To Mulder, it was playful, mischievous. But obviously to Alex, it meant something entirely different.

"Your leg looks like it could be infected," he finally said to break the silence. "Why don't you come down? I promise not to bite."

Alex studied Mulder's face, then cautiously he moved to the edge of the cabinet, and jumped down. "I could go for a nap," he said, keeping his eyes on Mulder and his back against one leg of the cupboard, just in case he needed to flee underneath it. "And the leg's not infected. It doesn't even hurt much anymore. I've been to see your friend Scully. She's a doctor, you know."

Mulder's brow furrowed. "She is?" He shook his head. "Hey, I'll race you to the—"

A streak of white flashed past Mulder. Quick as a flash, he raced to his bed and dove beneath the covers, only to find Alex already there.

"With this bum leg that was hardly a fair challenge."

"It doesn't seem to have impaired your ability to run!"

"I'm not as speedy as I used to be." Alex grinned up at Mulder. "Not that it matters—I can still outrun you."

Mulder grumbled to himself as he burrowed under the covers next to Alex. He turned over, his back to the rat. "Just take your nap."

"Nighty-night, fox!"

xx

"Alex, what are you doing?"

"I'm cold."

"Yes, but what are you DOING?"

Alex poked his head above the covers. "If you must know, I am wrapping your tail around me for warmth."

"Why?"

Alex sighed. "Because." He paused, unsure of how to continue. "I—like your tail. It's very glossy." With that, he disappeared back under the covers and out of Mulder's sight.

"Fine," Mulder mumbled sleepily, his head dropping back onto the pillow.

He tried to ignore the tugging on his tail, and would have succeeded in drifting off to sleep were it not for what happened next.

"Holy SHIT! Alex!" Mulder jumped straight out of bed onto the floor. His entire body was trembling, his tail had gone bristly, and he was panting. Panting?

Alex' head peeked up again. "What? What's wrong?"

"You know damn good and well what's wrong!" Mulder was fuming. His hand went unconsciously to his rump and he started rubbing it. "Now I don't know what you might have heard, but I am NOT—"

"Oh!" Alex laughed. "I must have brushed against your ass. I'm sorry. It was an accident."

"Like hell it was!" Mulder shouted. Alex whiskers quivered with the vibration.

Mulder paced up and down in front of the bed. "I have never known anyone to stick their tongue into somebody's ass by accident. It just doesn't HAPPEN, Alex!"

Alex' face changed then. "Mulder," His voice held a knowing tone. "I think we both know what's going on here."

Mulder stopped pacing and stared at Alex. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, come on, Mulder!" Alex wiggled his way out of the covers and sat on top them. "You've been chasing me for years. It's your favorite pastime. And when you aren't chasing me, you're talking about chasing me, and what you're going to do when you finally catch me. And I have to admit, you're pretty inventive."

But Mulder wasn't listening anymore. Memories flashed through his mind— the excitement of chasing Alex through the forest, his breath on Alex' back paws ... Mulder's heart would beat wildly in his chest as he got closer, his eyes focused on Alex' backside. It was so exhilarating, being this close ...

"Oh, no!" Mulder's paw slapped his forehead.

Alex nodded. "Everybody in the forest has been chirping about it."

Mulder's eyes widened. "They have?"

"Uh-huh. Even Scully and the Lone Gophers can see it."

"They CAN?!" Mulder's skin blushed to his red roots.

Alex nodded again, and Mulder got an idea.

"Well, since you like sneaking up on foxes so much," To Alex' surprise, Mulder hopped back onto the bed. He had a wicked gleam in his shiny black eyes. "Let's see how you like a little of your own medicine."

Alex looked worried. "Mulder, what are you—?"

Mulder covered Alex' body with one of his legs, preventing the rat from squirming away. "Don't worry, Alex," Mulder said in a silky voice, his mouth near Alex' ear. "I won't hurt you—unless you want me to."

Without giving Alex a chance to bargain or protest, Mulder flipped the little rat onto his belly, his tail standing rigid in the air.

"Perfect." Mulder lowered his head to the spot just above the rat's tight little ass where his tail met his body, and nuzzled his nose against it. Alex yelped and wriggled, but Mulder held him firmly in place.

"That's—not fair. I wasn't—expecting—" Alex panted.

"I know," Mulder replied, his breath hot against Alex' backside. Mulder's tongue darted out, lapping against the tiny pink opening. Alex' fur stood on end and he stretched his neck toward the ceiling, a noise somewhere between shouting and crooning escaping his throat.

Mulder continued to lick as Alex shivered beneath him. Occasionally, he would nip with his teeth at the base of Alex's tail, causing the rat to squeal and sending throbbing heat to the fox's groin. One of Mulder's paws went to his own cock, which had grown long and stiff when Alex had first touched him. Alex' belly was flat against the bed, the motion of his hips rubbing it against the mattress. Suddenly, his spine arched, and a harsh cry met Mulder's ears as Alex' climax rushed over him. Every nerve in his body tingled, and he groaned as pale, milky fluid spurted from his cock, dampening the mattress beneath him.

Alex collapsed onto the bed, panting. "Mulder," he gasped. "You are—"

"Not finished," Mulder interrupted. Gently, he turned the rat over onto his back and stroked the silky fur of Alex' underbelly. Alex closed his eyes, his ears twitching with delight. "Now it's my turn."

Alex thought for a moment. "Lie on your back," he said. Mulder obliged, and Alex sat on his tail, positioning himself into perfect alignment with Mulder's cock and ass.

Alex rubbed his cheek against Mulder's incredibly soft fur. "Mmm," he whispered, relishing the scent. He blew gently against Mulder's puckered opening. Mulder's back legs kicked involuntarily at the unexpected sensations this produced.

Alex studied the fox' engorged member. "I think—yeah." Alex hopped onto Mulder's belly and, straddling his cock, lowered himself onto Mulder, who leaned his head back and moaned deep in his chest.

Alex moved his body up and down, fucking himself on Mulder's cock as the fox rocked beneath him, thrusting his hips upward to meet Alex' downward motions. Each time their bodies met, both Alex and Mulder would grunt with the effort and the pleasure it brought.

"Alex, keep fucking me. Don't stop!"

Alex' paw was busy pumping away at his own cock. Mulder raised his head and nudging Alex paw aside, took the swollen member into his mouth and sucked gently, being mindful of his teeth.

"Fuck, Mulder!"

"Oh Alex—fuck! I have to come—I have to!"

Mulder's orgasm shot from his body, nearly toppling Alex, who clung to Mulder's fur as the fox' rump bucked. Soon after, Alex had come inside the fox' mouth, his orgasmic juices tingling Mulder's tongue.

When both animals were spent, Mulder leaned back onto the bed, releasing Alex' cock. The rat let Mulder's flaccid member slip from his body and crawled onto Mulder's chest, tucking his tender, wounded side into Mulder's thick fur.

They lay like that for a long while, catching their breath and thinking.

"So," Alex tugged gently at Mulder's fur. "I guess this means I have a place to sleep now."

"What?" Mulder swatted him playfully. "Who said anything about you moving in here?"

Alex lifted his head, looking into Mulder's glittering eyes. "You did," he said, blinking innocently.

"No way! I don't share my sunflower seeds with anybody."

Alex gave an exaggerated sigh. "Well then, I guess I'll just have to tell Scully about your stash." He glanced up at Mulder, and grinned. "Or you can try and restrain me." Quick as lightening, Alex was underneath the covers.

The corners of Mulder mouth turned up in a sly grin of his own. "You're on!"

Mulder dove in after him, and it was a long time before they came back up.

xx

Cattnip@catthause.com

A RAT IN A FOXHOLE An X-Files furfic
© January 2001 by Cattnip
SUMMARY: Mulder the fox resolves his issues about Alex the rat.
RATING: NC-17 for sexual content.
DISCLAIMER: These characters are based on Mulder and Krycek, two characters belonging to Chris Carter and 1013 Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only (though who could mistake it for anything but, I have no idea) and no profit is being made.
Feedback to: Cattnip@catthause.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]