Go to notes and disclaimers


Victim of the Game
by CKing

Part VIII
Conflict of Interest


Switzerland,
Early 1992


Alexei couldn't stand still. His foster sister noticed his jumpy nerves but other than an occasional frown in his direction she was effectively ignoring the problem. No doubt she was blaming his hyperactivity on the importance of this evening's meeting, the strangeness of working with her instead of alone, and his recent booster shots. There was no way Olga could know that he had plans for tomorrow that were more important than anything he had ever done.

If everything went smoothly with tonight's deal Olga would be on her way back to Russia first thing in the morning. Alex, on the other hand, had other plans. He was about to trust his lover beyond all reason and throw himself to the dubious mercy of the British government. Alexei was to meet Richard at a café in Paris and together they were going to hop a small plane over to England, where Special Operations would spend the next year taking statements from the Russian mafia prince who had once infiltrated their organization.

He was an idiot, Alexei told himself for what seemed like the thousandth time. The British were playing him for a fool. Nothing he could offer up was worth ignoring his many crimes. Alex left Olga to pour, silently, over the blueprints she had spread out on the hotel room table and walked over to the window.

Richard swore that the deal was in place. He said he had gone over the papers every which way. Alex paused at the lace curtains, tracing his fingertips down one. Richard Sharpe was a honourable man and Alexei loved him to the point of insanity but Sharpe was a soldier, not a lawyer. So many things could go wrong and if Alex went so far as to defect, his entire life would turn to ashes. He could never return to the place he had been calling home since he was thirteen years old or see the few members of his family he honestly loved. Even resting comfortably would never again be an option because Alex would be expecting each day bring forth the assassin that his foster-mother was surely going to set on him.

This deal was a death sentence. Alexei would be entering into a life of continual threat. All the English government could offer was immunity… but it was the factor that wasn't in writing was the thing that would seal the deal. Richard Sharpe. For the chance to lay down with his beloved Dickin, every night for the rest of his possibly short life, Alexei was willing to walk into hell and offer up his wrists to be chained.

Alex stared at the lace pinched between his fingers and attempted to reach a calm within the inner storm he now felt. He thought back to the conversation he briefly had with his lover three days ago. They had quickly confirmed the meeting was still a go, and then Richard had proceeded to whisper obscenities that were still echoing in Alexei's ears even now. Fuck, he was burning up. He wanted sex. He needed Dickin. He needed to drown these crushing fears in mindless rutting.

Closing his eyes against the scene outside the window, Alexei built a completely different one inside his head. He dug back into his memory, selecting a long ago encounter from the time when he and Sharpe were living together. Dickin had described yet another of his fantasies to his lover and Alex had been more than willing to play along. Indulging Sharpe's whims had become Alexei's mission in life by that time.

xx

Alex had waited, leaning just outside the mouth of an alleyway in one of the worst parts of the city. His leather jacket was scuffed and his dark hair was greasy and falling in his eyes. While he'd waited for Dickin, Alexei had been forced to pull a gun and chase off a couple of punks.

Richard had arrived looking almost as disreputable as his lover. They hadn't exchanged a word, merely locked eyes. Within seconds Sharpe had shoved Alex deep into the shadows of the stinking alley and behind a dumpster. Alexei's back had slammed into the bricks of the building. Richard dropped to his knees and tore open the front of his lover's jeans without speaking.

Alex had to shove his fist into his mouth to contain the declarations that wanted to spill out. He had promised silence when they had arranged this tryst and, damn it, Alex was going to give Dickin exactly what he wanted. Richard's mouth burnt him, swallowing him. Alex made a conscious effort to reach down, tangle his free fingers into the spun gold of Sharpe's hair, and roughly guide the blowjob, as he'd been instructed to.

They didn't dare linger too long. Getting caught during this game would damage their careers and this was only the first half of the fantasy. Shoulders braced hard against the graffiti covered wall. Alex's body bowed out, desperate for the completion that was barrelling down on him.

With fingernails digging in and biting down on his fist, Alex shot his load into his lover's demanding mouth. He'd barely finished spurting when Sharpe popped up. Alex was whirled around, his face shoved into the bricks. His jeans were dragged down.

The sound of Sharpe opening his zipper could barely be heard over their panting breaths. Richard spat heavily into his hand, slicked his erection briefly and immediately began pushing into his lover's body. Maybe in his teenage years Sharpe would had settled for another blowjob in return but, illusion be damned, he adored fucking his Xander.

Alex's moan of pleasure couldn't be contained the first time Richard's cock scraped across his prostate. Alex tried to keep it quiet but he couldn't completely stifle the noise.

"It's okay," Sharpe allowed in a bare whisper. "I know. You're such a slut for me, Xander. Go ahead. I like your ' bitch in heat' noises." A hard thrust demanded a grunt. "They turn me on."

Noises, not words. It would have to suffice. Alexei's control slipped just a little.

xx

{Good God, Lexi.} Olga's nasal tones broke into her foster brother's thoughts, smashing the illusion he'd been building for himself. {You've been intolerable since I got here,} she complained. {Etienne was whining that you almost dislocated his hips last night. What the hell is the matter with you?} Olga slammed the file she was looking at down onto the table. {Are you still that wired from your pheromone shot? Do you need to go home? Maybe YOU should courier the package to Nicola instead of me. I could go to Turkey. I've things to do there.}

"Nyet." Alex forced his frame to loosen up, shaking himself back into the here and now with monumental effort. {I'm expected back in the States next week. I don't have time for a visit home. I've been accepted at Quantico,} he reminded her. {If I don't report in for training my Consortium contacts will be furious. They've pulled all kinds of strings to get me into the Bureau.}

Alexei padded across the room and casually flipped through Olga's papers. {I'm just tense. Maybe if you told me more about the package we're picking up…. You know I hate getting only half the mission statement.} His lower lip protruded slightly. {It makes me feel like you and Nicki don't trust me.}

Her smile drifted into indulgence. {It's not a matter of trust, Lexi darling. It's a matter of protecting you. You don't need to know what we're buying in order to do your job, so why make you into a target for our enemies?}

It sounded convincing enough despite the fact that it was a blatant lie and both of them knew it.

{Here.} Olga shoved over a blueprint. {Memorize that, my love. Your job is to see I get in and out in one piece. I may have to leave you behind as a rear-guard. You can check in with Nicola in the morning if we get separated}

Alexei's hand shook until he pressed it flat to the tabletop.

"Spakoynee Lexi." Olga snatched at his wrist. {Look me in the eyes, Boy,} she demanded. Olga stared at him clinically for several long moments; noting his racing heart rate, dilated eyes and shallow breathing. {Something has your adrenaline pumping. You're sweating out pheromones so powerful that dogs are going to start yowling outside our door.} Her assessment was tinged with annoyance. {This is too much. Your shot was weeks ago. What the hell is going on?}

{Nerves,} Alexei admitted honestly. {I've been hopping since before Christmas. Shit keeps happening.} It was as if the entire world was conspiring to prevent Alexei's defection from The Family. Three times he and Dickin had arranged for the event to happen. Twice Alexei's Family had throw emergencies at him and once Sharpe's Commander had insisted on a postponement.

Olga glanced at her watch. {I don't want you wandering off to tomcat.} She frowned. {I'll give you two hours, and then I want your concentration back on these blueprints.} Olga pushed a button on her watch to set the alarm function and then laid it down on the pile of papers. {You may undress me.} Her arms lifted and she began listing the rules. {There will be no biting or scratching. Don't leave any marks on my skin. You had better go down on me first, Lexi. I took the blockers for your pheromones yesterday and you're not doing anything for me at the moment. But don't you dare expect I'm going to do that to you. God knows where you've been sticking that thing lately.} Her instructions were calmly outlined. {Keep away from my ass. I don't like it. If you don't behave how I want you to, then you can go jerk off in the bathroom. Got it?}

"Da, Olga. Bolshoe spasibo." Alexei was bouncing on the balls of his feet with delight. Olga's body was a reward he seldom tasted, which was by design, of course. The rarity of her favours made them all the more desirable. {Thank you. It's more than I ever expected.} He sidled up beside his foster sister and reached for the woman's suit jacket with trembling fingers.

xx

Richard had attempted to pass the assignment off to someone else, but the short notice of the job and the fact that he and the Essex were already conveniently located near the area, made them the most likely choice.

Sharpe glanced down at the building that they were staking out and then fingered the heavy cell phone clipped to his belt. Perhaps he should call the café and leave word for Alexander that their meeting was cancelled, but the idea of yet another postponement was painful. Maybe with a bit of luck this mission would be cleaned up by morning. Intel did say the thing would go down this evening.

Sharpe acknowledged Harper with a look. "What are we up against?"

"More blessed doors than men. It's like a bloody rabbit warren," came the complaint. "Hagman has found 'isself a perch where he can eyeball two of the more likely entrances but there's doors all around."

"We're going to have to go inside." Richard shook his pale head. "It'd take three teams to cover this damned place properly," he decided. "We'll leave Hagman and Harris out here. Hagman can hold his perch. Harris can sweep a steady circle. Me, you, Cooper and Perkins will do a room to room. We need to be wired together so we'll be able to move when someone hits on a target." Richard walked over to the bag on the floor and unzipped it. "The odds of this lot bothering with monitoring radio signals are low enough. I think we should risk it."

"What are these blokes trading off, Major?" Harper accepted a few radios. "Switzerland is a bit out of our jurisdiction."

The observation made Richard smile. As if they were ever within their own jurisdiction. "That's why we have to do this quietly." He avoided the question. No one on the team was allowed to know how monumentally important this assignment actually was. "We intercept the package, and the money too, if we can, but that's secondary. We leave no witnesses. This was a third party attack. We were never here."

"Pity I can't collect flyer miles for all the places we've never visited. Ramona's got a fancy for a trip to Rome. I think she's wanting to take the Pope a batch of those raisin biscuits of hers."

"Screw the Pope, Pat." Richard headed for the door to their temporary headquarters. "If Ramona's in the mood to be giving away biscuits, tell her that my cupboard's pretty bare."

xx

Olga stopped the car in the shadows far from the few lighted windows in the area. {I'll be back in two hours. If you're not here waiting to tell me it's safe, I'll head for the airport,} she reminded him. {Check this place out well, little brother. Nicki dearest wants this deal to work.}

Alexei popped the door, sliding out of the car and into the gathering gloom. The street was already deserted. No one should be kicking around these warehouses at this time of night.

It was a simple trade, one briefcase for another. They'd dealt with Esterhaus before. A thin bond of trust was there, well, as much as could be expected considering both the organizations involved.

Alexei was only a few hours away from freedom. He could make it to Paris with time to spare as long as this deal went smoothly. At this time tomorrow he'd be tangled up in Dickin's arms, dreaming the quiet sleep of the well fucked.

Concentrate, Alexei reminded himself, as he slipped through a crevice between buildings. It was difficult. He was attempting to act as if the encounter with Olga had settled his nerves but despite how much he had gloried in the sex with the eldest of his foster sisters, she hadn't even finished washing up before Alexei found himself hyped back up again.

First he needed to run through the sniper perches. Then he needed to see how accessible the ways in and out of the warehouse and offices were. Alex was also packing a few small radio-controlled bombs that he would set in place, just in case they needed a distraction.

xx

"I set up a few microphones," Perkins whispered to their Major. "I don't know if we'll be lucky enough to pick up any negotiations but it'll help us to pinpoint where everyone is."

The junior member of the Essex was proving to be quite the whiz with electronics. Sharpe thanked his lucky stars that he had managed to snag Perkins from the last draft. The Essex had never dwindled down to such a small size as this before.

The kid fiddled with the tuner he was carrying, flipping some dials up and down. "I've got activity." He peered at the read-out to discover which mic had gotten lucky. "Near the stairs to those upper offices… in the southeast corner. That's not one of us."

Sharpe flicked a finger and Cooper ghosted off in that direction.

"It's faint." Perkins winced. "That sounded like tape being ripped off a spool." He did a quick flip up and down the channels. "It's the only sound."

"Intel had the meeting at ten o'clock. It's too early," Sharpe observed in annoyance. He shouldn't be surprised. Information had a strange way of getting garbled whenever the Essex was involved, but Richard had been sure this mission was too important for fuck-ups to be allowed to jeopardise it.

"Footsteps… fading out," Perkins murmured before hissing a warning into the radio connecting the team. "Cooper. The target is moving. Take cover."

"Stay here, Perkins," Sharpe instructed. "Pat?" he asked of his own equipment. "Where are you?"

xx

Alexei couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, like a flicker of improbable movement out of the corner of his eye, but there was nothing he could pin down. If the sensation persisted he was going to ask Olga to back out of the rendezvous. In the meantime, Alex continued on his sweep, planting bombs along the way.

It wasn't outside the realm of chance that the other side had sent in someone early to look things over as well. Alexei could respect their caution and work around it. What bothered him was that the other guy was so skilled that Alex couldn't catch him at it.

A creak of metal sent Alex over the railing of a stairway and had him peering upward, but nothing moved.

xx

Patrick Harper pulled back, crawling away on hands and knees. When he judged it safe, Harper whispered into the headset he wore. "I've got one male, Caucasian, dark hair, dark clothes. He moves like a pro."

"Where?" Sharpe's static-roughened voice demanded.

"East end, north of the crane in the main bay."

"Don't you spook him, Pat. We need all the players to show up so we can acquire the package," Richard reminded his Sergeant. "This is likely someone's scout." The paused was long. "Backtrack and find out where he came from. I want to know what that ripping tape meant. Mind yerself. Cooper is near you."

"Aye, Sir." Harper moved carefully, not wanting to either startle Cooper or have the scout make him. His dark eyes scanned all about, looking for a stashed weapon or surveillance equipment. He tried to keep his step light, no easy task for a man his size. Occasionally voices would whisper into his ear. The other members of Essex traded a few words.

After much searching a bit of silver tape finally caught his eye. "Bomb." Patrick observed aloud for the sake of his comrades. "Just a wee one." Harper squirmed around trying to get a look at the awkwardly placed device. "Radio controlled," he added with only a hint of worry. If their headsets were going to trigger it, he'd be dead already.

"If it's a small one it's not like to be alone." Sharpe's voice was low grumble. "Heads up all around, lads. This one isn't playing fair."

"Do they ever?" Harris muttered just loud enough to be heard above the static.

"You want I should dismantle the thing, Major?" Harper questioned. It didn't look to complex, but rather a quickly put together model.

"Leave it be, Pat. If our boy takes another walk through and sees it's been mucked with, it'd be a dead giveaway to him that he isn't alone. We'll see about shutting it down if he leaves. Until then keep yer distance from it."

xx

Maybe it was just nerves, Alexei decided. More times than he was comfortable with, Alex suspected he wasn't alone. One of the best sniper posts had a hint of something in the air but there was no other evidence that someone was about.

Alexei's face was set into a constant frown as the time grew nearer to when he was supposed to connect back up with Olga. He chanced the noise and ran flat out through the building on his last turn through the perimeter to see if it made any difference.

Nothing resulted but a shortage of breath on his part. Finally, he headed out to catch up with his foster sister, still uncertain if he should shut down the meeting due to nothing more than the tickle of anxiety up his spine.

xx

Cooper squirmed out from under the piece of machinery he'd dived beneath, a faint prayer on his lips. He had to reach up and readjust his gear.

"Did anybody see him?" Sharpe's voice demanded of his crew when it was safe to speak aloud once more. "Did he catch sight of any of you?"

"All I seen was feet." Cooper brushed himself off before finally responding to the demands for information coming through his earpiece.

"Fast bugger." Harper was puffing, likely in response to some equally awkward hiding spot he'd had to drag himself out of.

Hagman's chuckle came next. "Yer all lazy." He joked. "I slipped away from the scout without all this bellyaching."

"Just a black jacket and dark hair, Sir." Harris checked in next. "Tall, I think. Judging by the shadow he cast on the doorframe as he left."

"Perkins?" Richard asked.

"I didn't see anything. I just heard it through the mics. Sorry Sir."

xx

Esterhaus was a wrinkled old man who surrounded himself with bullyboys the size of mountain gorillas. None of them were terribly bright and that's how the elderly criminal liked it. Clever people did not make good subordinates in his opinion.

Olga met Esterhaus in the middle of the largest warehouse, leaving Alexei to pace in the shadows behind her, eyes scanning for trouble. The only reason Alex heard the pop of locks on the briefcase was because it was so quiet. Olga was definitely keeping him at a distance on this deal.

The two dealers shared few words. The contents of the cases were looked over and lids snapped shut in record time. Olga was halfway back to Alexei when gunfire shattered the silence. Esterhaus crumpled to the dusty floor and Olga stumbled, the case skidded forward.

Without hesitation Alexei skimmed his thumb over the control box he'd been toying with and explosions began to blast all about the building. Dropping the control once it had served its purpose Alexei tore out into the brighter lights. He skidded around catching Olga's waist with one arm and the briefcase with his other hand. Bullets pinged about but the attackers' careful aim had been destroyed as several catwalks caved in and the building shook.

Heading for one of the escape routes that he knew would be the clearest of debris, Alex found he was supporting far more of Olga's weight than he wanted to. Warmth was soaking into his sleeve. Even more nerve wracking was the fact he didn't have a free hand to wield his gun. More gunfire, at two different levels, suggested that at least one of Esterhaus' gorillas still lived and was attempting to secure the case full of money that the old man had received.

The door was almost within reach when a gun coughed and wood splintered from a box in front of him. Alex pulled up short, attempting to decide if he should double back to another exit or try to shoot his way out. {Can you stand?} He demanded of his foster sister when she groaned. {Can you carry the case?}

"Da." Olga hissed and snatched at the handle. {Get us out of here now, Lexi.}

A curt nod acknowledged her demand. Leaving the briefcase to her care, Alex whipped out two guns and laid down a line of fire. The pair of them made it half way across the narrow distance when Olga collapsed and the case went skating across the floor. A body came flying out from behind shelter and scooped up the package before slamming upright against a wall in plain view of Alexei. Guns were pointed dead on from both sides.

Time stopped. Every bit of air in Alexei's lungs burned up and he stared across the divide at his lover, Richard Sharpe. Somewhere in the distance Alex half felt Olga using his jacket to drag herself upright behind him. His foster sister was screaming something in his ear. All Alexei wanted to do was stare at the vision before him and marvel.

"Dickin." The barrels of Alexei's pistols dipped and sound hit him once more.

{SHOOT HIM! KILL HIM!} Olga was screeching.

Alex's arms tensed once more. "Give me the case, Dickin." His eyes devoured the man across from him. Richard's chest was heaving and his face was almost bloodless. Normal exertion, the rational part of Alexei's mind decided, but it didn't stop his hyped up body from responding to the familiar scent of Sharpe after a bout of hot, sweaty sex.

"I can't." Sharpe's head shook. He shot a nervous glance back toward the main warehouse. "The Essex. They're coming."

"SHOOT HIM AND TAKE IT!" Olga switched to English, attempting to make herself heard.

"Run, sweet thing. We're not supposed to leave anyone alive." Richard's tone was hurried and nervous.

Fuck but Alexei wanted to fling himself across the divide and sink his teeth into his golden soldier. Business! His hormones could not be allowed to interfere with business no matter how violent their rampage. "Not without the case." Alexei had to shout to hear himself over Olga's piercing orders. "Give it to me." He stabbed the air with his gun to make his point.

"No, my Xander." Richard's own gun lowered, trusting recklessly. "If you want it you'll have to kill me."

{SHOOT HIM, LEXI!} Olga was practically spitting, flipping back into Russian to re-enforce the tone of her command. {Take it from him.}

"Dickin please. Don't do this." Conflicting loyalties ripped at Alexei. What should have been a curt demand came out as an entreaty. "Give it to me."

"You can't know what's in here and ask me that." Sharpe's voice was low and pleading. "I can't. It's too important." Pale grey-green eyes pinned Olga and his lip curled. "I know who YOU are," Richard announced. "What you are." He returned his gaze to Alexander. "It's time. Now. Put down your guns, Xander… baby. Lover. We don't have to wait until tomorrow. Let me take you home today. It's time to come in from the cold."

"Miloserdie." Olga sagged, seeming to have just clued in. "Alexei." She clung. {Little brother. Don't do this.} Her fingers dug in, kneading Alex's muscles.

Footsteps were pounding closer.

"I want to, but…" Alexei hesitated, licking his lips. "Will you leave Olga here?" His voice shook. "This was never part of it, Dickin. You can't expect me to give you Olga."

"Look at her Xander. She needs a doctor. We'll take her into custody." That was a huge concession, considering his orders.

Olga flinched. "Lexi, liubovnik." Her tone was carefully pitched to hook into his gut. {Don't let him have me.} She knew just where to touch him and exactly how to huff a breath near the shell of his ear. Alexei had spent years worshipping this woman, learning to obey her. She ruled him. {You can't let them have me, baby. They'll kill me. Lexi, lover… precious brother.} Her arms griped him tightly.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. Alexei wanted to scream. The choice to leave The Family was supposed to have been made at a safe, sterile distance. He was just going to fall into Sharpe's arms when no one was looking and never leave. He was supposed to provide information, not surrender a living, breathing member of his Family. Alexei had tried to explain how intense the bonding was between himself and the women. Richard couldn't seem to understand but he had promised that Alex would never have to look any of the women in the eye after the defection.

Olga wasn't to be sacrificed. Olga was to be cherished… protected. She was more important than any mission, more important than his own life. Alexei was charged with seeing to the safety of Nicola's Romanov's chosen heir.

"I'll find you tomorrow." Fuck, it hurt. It hurt more than anything had in years. It devastated Alexei to have to turn away now but his programming would not allow the sacrifice of Olga, not like this. His entire psyche would self-destruct if he allowed her to be taken. Jamming his guns back into their holsters, Alex scooped his foster sister up into his arms and hit the exit running.

xx

Richard leaned back in his chair and looked at his watch yet again. He shouldn't be surprised. Alexander wasn't coming. Hours had passed since the time they were supposed to meet. Sharpe had gone through an entire bottle of wine, one glass at a time, and a basket of bread. The waiters would have been demanding he'd leave if he weren't tipping so outrageously with each small glass.

Fuck. He should have switched to rum an hour ago. Maybe his gut wouldn't be aching this badly if he had.

Sharpe had to believe this was just yet another delay. He'd go back to London and sometime in the next week Alexander would crawl into his bed when he was least expected to and wake him with sweet kisses. The Lord knew his Xander had done just that often enough in the past. It had become a rather regular thing over the time since Jane had been killed.

The first time Richard had awoke to find the Russian stark naked and curled up around him had been disturbing. Sharpe couldn't help but fear that his edge was blunted to allow that kind of intrusion into his home without notice but several weeks later a prowler had proved that idea wrong. It was as if his sleeping mind could tell the difference between his lover and any other odd noises that disturbed the night. The invasion of that thief had jolted Richard out of sleep and had him grabbing after his gun before he was completely awake, and yet not three days later it wasn't until he was at the edge of orgasm that the sensation of Alex's mouth on his erection penetrated Sharpe's slumber.

Richard tossed down yet another bill and heaved himself upright. He'd go home, send a message to the post office box he and Alexander corresponded through then wait. His lover would likely be along in a week or so to tease him about his grim fears and coax a smile back onto his face. Sharpe had to believe that, because otherwise he'd never be able to drag himself out of this café.

xx

{My dear boy.} Nicola Romanov walked a circle around where her foster son was bound to a chair. Pale skin was marked with goose bumps. A cold breeze wafted over his nude body. {As much as I'm pleased that you saw fit to secure Olga's safety…} Her hand petted down his dark hair, softly at first, then nails began to dig into his scalp. {I'm rather cross that you lost those papers I sent you to purchase, as well as the money we collected to pay Esterhaus. Producing that much cash on such sort notice was exhausting.}

He shouldn't have allowed the doctor that he'd taken Olga to, the opportunity to speak to Nicola on the telephone. He should have left as soon as he was certain his foster sister was secure and under care. How could he have been so foolish as to turn his back on the doctor? Alexei's mind spun with the force of second-guessing himself.

Olga had spoken his name, whispering urgently just as the doctor had hung up the telephone. He had leaned over in an effort to hear the words. Alex hadn't suspected the harmless looking man was capable of violence, he'd been wary of a syringe full of drugs, but not of the hard slam he'd received to the back of his head.

{I find it bothersome that I had to drop everything I was doing and arrange to have you and Olga brought home. I dislike dealing with trivialities like this when other, more pressing, business demands my attention.} Nicola fingered the swollen bump on his skull. {What annoys me the most, however, is the realization that you were considering leaving our Family… leaving me.} Her fingers threaded into his hair once more, gripping and dragging his head backwards. Nicki placed a gentle kiss on his forehead, a stark contrast to the pain shooting up his neck.

{Olga misunderstood.} Alexei argued frantically. {I'm playing the man, keeping a line into British command. I had to waver to at the warehouse hold that cover. You know I would never consider leaving you Nicki.} His tone was growing desperate as she continued to glare, unmoved by his explanations. "Ya tebya tak lyublyu," he declared. {You're my life. I meant to tell you about the Brit but it didn't seem important enough to bother you.} His voice strangled.

The elderly woman frowned down at him, her expression icy with disgust.

{Please Nicki. I would never betray you. He's nothing.} The tape wrapped around his arms and legs twisted, pulling out body hair and digging into his skin but it held Alex tight. "Pazhaluysta Nicola. Ya tebya lyublyu." He was starting to panic. {It's a mistake. I love you so much. More than anything. I swear.}

{And you compound your sin by lying.} Nicola's carefully painted lips pulled back into a snarl. She shoved his head to one side and drew back. {I'm going to have to hurt you, Alexei.} The elderly woman drew a wheeled trolley up beside the bound man. {I'm going to have to hurt you more than I have needed to in years,} she warned him. {I hope you realise that the only reason you're still alive is because Olga is.}

Alexei strained even harder at the bindings on his arms and legs when he saw the things heaped on the cart. A car battery and clamps topped the pile. {Nicki, my love, my dearest, my life. I can explain everything.}

{Silence!} Nicola snapped. She picked up the first of the alligator clips. Leaning over, Nicola clamped it to his right earlobe. Tiny droplets of blood beaded up around the sharp teeth of the clip.

He flinched but kept quiet. His eyes were wide, following the movements of his mentor's hands. When Nicki lifted the second clip a sweat broke out all over his body despite the cold air.

{Now…} Nicola held up the rubber-handled claw, studying it. {You're going to tell me everything about your relationship with this Englishman, Lexi dear.} The bit of metal hovered near his left nipple. {What did you say his name was?}

Staring down at the tools and sweating, he had to lick his lips twice before making them function. "Sharpe." As soon as Alexei voiced the word, a sizzle of electricity shot through him, making his whole body spasm.

{I didn't catch that, Lexi,} she lied smoothly. {Say his name again. Louder.} Nicola smiled sweetly.

"SHARPE!"

As expected, another cruel spike of electricity lashed through him.

{You call your lover by his last name. How odd.} Nicki touched his swollen nipple and he flinched violently. {His whole name, Pet. I want you to keep repeating his entire name, over and over again, until I give you permission to stop.}

Alexei's head shook, earning him a slap across the face.

{DO IT!}

"Richard Sharpe." The shock that lashed through him clamped his teeth closed.

{Keep saying it, Pet,} Nicola reminded him. {Or I'll clip this to your balls.}

That threat shouldn't have worked. Alexei knew she was going to end up doing just that any way. Still, for the sake of delay he caved. Thirty minutes latter his voice was hoarse and he'd fallen into screaming 'Richard' continuously. The punishment didn't relent however until 'Dickin' was torn out of his throat.

{He's not coming to save you,} Nicola said, tracing her fingers over her pupil's skin. She absently connected the many bright red blisters on his chest and stomach. {Your precious Dickin, is back home basking in the glory of ruining our deal and sleeping with some big-chested barmaid right now.}

Hearing these words, Alexei's whole body shook violently. He couldn't catch his breath. The scenario Nicki suggested wasn't unlikely. Alex knew there were women in Richard's bed during the stretches between their trysts.

Nicola's tongue made a disapproving, clicking noise. {What has he promised you, Pet? Immunity? A cottage with a white picket fence in the North country? That he'll love you forever and ever? Oh please. How absurd.} Her nails sketched over his skin. {He's lying. Men always lie. I've told you that. It's what they do. The British government would pump you dry while the Major screws you stupid and then once everyone is satisfied they'll toss you out with the garbage. Or is that what you want, my pretty pet? You want to wait in a cold apartment while your dear Dickin has dinner with the wife and kiddies… wait until he gets bored enough with her soft cushy skin so he'll come spend the night with you… and then leave before sunrise so he can get home in time for breakfast. It's sounds like a wonderful life. I can see why you'd want to leave us for a chance at that,} she murmured softly in his ear.

{He's not like…}

Nicki didn't allow Alexei to finish the sentence. She stroked the hot metal clamp up the inside of her student's leg, making the muscle jump in reaction. {Don't be stupid. It disgusts me that you could be so foolish.} Nicola's tone was brittle. {I thought you were better than this. I thought you were worth my time.} She straightened up.

The second shelf of the trolley held a tape player. After turning the volume up to it's highest level, Nicki sat it down and pushed the play button.

"Bonjour mon amoureux d'or. How is my favourite bed-warmer feeling today?"

Alexei heard his own voice, filtered through the tinny whir of wiretapped conversation

"Xander, Precious. Where are you, Sweet thing? "

Alex's heart squeezed as Sharpe spoke. He barely noticed that Olga had joined them in the room. His eldest foster sister spoke with Nicola, but the tape of himself and Sharpe, exchanging playful greetings and verbally flirting, overpowered Nicki and Olga's words.

"I can't. Not now I've heard your voice, Sweet thing. Talk to me for a little while. It doesn't matter what you say, Baby. Make up a bedtime story for all I care."

What did penetrate, dragging Alexei back from his dream world, was Olga coming over, yanking the clamp free his ear and picking up the dangling positive lead from the battery. She then walked around the back of Alex's chair and heaved, making the thing fall over. It creaked at the abuse but it didn't break.

Stepping back over to the trolley Olga picked up a short leather strap. She positioned herself at Alexei's exposed feet, and then slammed hard into the sole of his right foot as soon as Sharpe's voice blared out again.

"Sweet thing. Don't tease. You're too far away. It's not fair for you to get me going."

The blow stung, but it didn't hurt too badly. The strikes kept coming, however. Each time the Englishman's voice emerged from the speaker Alex's skin was lashed.

"Shite, I miss you."

By the end of the tape both of Alexei's feet were burning and he was pleading with her to stop, to give him some water, or even to just speak to him. She ignored him completely. When Olga turned the audiotape over and the same conversation began again Alex started to cry.

xx

"Major?" Patrick Harper paused in the archway. The living room was cloaked in gloom and it stunk of uneaten food and booze. "Richard?" Ramona, his wife, could just been seen peeking around his large frame. "There's people worried about you, Major."

"Go 'way, Pat." Sharpe snapped. Tipping the bottle in his hand to feel the slosh of rum, Richard decided he was going to have to drag himself off the couch and over to the bar soon.

"We called 'afor we came over." Harper inclined his head towards where the telephone lay in the middle of the floor. The thing had been ripped out of the wall. "But it appears as if you're having trouble hearing it ring."

"It rang." He grumbled. "It's been ringing all the bleeding time… but it's never him. He's never gonna call again." Finishing the rum in one deep swig, Richard tossed the now empty bottle against the wall. Neither the smash of heavy glass nor Ramona's distressed squeak were satisfying. "I've killed him. 'E tried ter warn me, but I didn't listen. 'E's dead Pat."

"You don't know that."

"I don't know nothing. I never did. I'm a bloody idiot." Sharpe laid his head back and groaned. "It's all going down the pisser. I'm gonna drag down you with me. " His accent was dropping closer to his gutter level speech patterns with every sentence he spoke. It was just too fucking difficult to make the effort at suppressing the rough accent.

"Heap o' garbage." Patrick argued. "I still don't know what was in that bleeding briefcase we nabbed in Switzerland, Major, but just saying your name is enough to make the Commander grin like a fool this week."

Richard's laugh was nearly a bark. "Now's the time to grab your laurels and get the fuck out, Pat. You and the lads. All of yer. You should ask fer yer own team… or see if Interpol is hiring." He stared at the ceiling, wondering how it had gotten stained. "I'm gonna ask that the Essex be disbanded."

Speaking over his shoulder, Patrick said, "Put on a pot of tea, Darlin."

Ramona bustled through and the light flicked on in the kitchen.

"Give me another bottle, Pat," Sharpe slurred. "There's still a coupla full 'uns behind the bar."

"Why do I find that hard to believe?" Harper paced over the sofa. "Yer gonna take a bloody shower. Yer gonna get dressed in something that doesn't stink of booze. Yer gonna drink the tea and eat the toast me wife is making you…" he listed. "Then yer gonna get yer ass in gear and grab the honours Command is willing to dish out before they change their minds."

Thin lips curled up. "Ya think so?"

"Damned straight." Patrick reached down and grabbed Richard's arm. "Because I expect that if you don't, I'll see you buried beside Teresa before the year is out."

"Xander's likely in a river somewhere. No grave for him." Sharpe attempted to shake off the touch, hollering into the other man's face. "And it's all my fault."

"You don't know he's dead and the only fucking way you've got of finding out is yer bloody position… so get off yer ass and grab onto yer job with both hands before they take it away from you." The larger man shook Sharpe violently.

Two seconds later Richard was on his knees, barfing up what appeared to be a bucket full of reeking alcohol.

Harper's wide hand rubbed up and down his back even as his stomach heaved. "It's going to be alright, Major. You'll see. It'll look better when yer sober."

Even piss drunk, Richard knew a lie when he heard one.

xx

It felt like forever since they'd let him sleep. Some kind of pain jolted him back to an even greater agony whenever he dared to doze off. Sometimes it was Olga but most of the time Nicola lorded over him. She hardly ever yelled. Alexei almost would have preferred that to the insistent, disappointed, annoyed drone.

Strange, it wasn't pain that brought Alexei around this time, but rather the rich aroma of chicken broth. His tight stomach rumbled. That was the only request he thought he could make. His voice had ground down to a wheezing whisper some time ago.

{Hungry, Boy?} Nicola held the cup under his nose for a moment before backing away. Quite purposefully she tipped it up and poured the broth out onto the floor. {Still want it?} One silvered brow lifted and she directed her gaze from Alexei's face, down to the floor, and back up.

A faint whimper escaped him and Alexei gave as much of a nod as his aching head would allow.

Nicola picked up a scalpel from the nearby pile of toys and knelt to free her foster son from the low gurney he had found himself fastened to three blackouts ago. The tape that held him down parted under the blade but Alexei's wrists remained bound together. Nicki backed away to watch his next move.

He rolled, practically falling of the cot and onto the floor. The rough floor gouged at his elbows but Alexei was so thirsty he was willing to do anything for a bit of moisture. He dragged himself over, careless of the blood trail he was leaving, and lapped at the gritty puddle.

{It bothers me when you forget your place.} Nicola paced over to stand beside him. {It's not that I want to hurt you, Pet. You pushed me into this.}

Alexei couldn't apologize aloud. His throat was ruined. Regretfully lifting his mouth from the precious moisture, he pressed cracked lips to her shoe.

{If you can manage to get there…} Nicki began. {I will allow you into my suite.} That said, the old woman walked out, leaving the door open behind her.

xx

Eyes closed, Alexei idly wondered if they would have left him alone until his body gave out or if someone would have granted him the mercy of a bullet. There had been several times when he would have welcomed an end to his life during the excruciating crawl to Nicola's door.

There had been no clemency. Getting up the stairs and halfway down the hall hadn't been enough. It wasn't until Alexei was lying at the entrance to her suite that Nicola had allowed the servants to swoop in and help him. Even then, the aid had been more to spare her expensive carpeting, than for his comfort. There was no way Nicki wanted him in her apartment stinking of blood, urine, and terror.

Alexei barely recalled the bath they had given him, other than at one point someone had dissuaded him from drinking the soapy water by feeding him a large bowl of mutton and vegetable soup one spoonful at a time.

The sheet shifted and dragged at his abused back. He vaguely recalled seeing the cane in Nicki's hand somewhere in the endlessness of his torment. It had terrified him when he realised that there was blood dripping off the thing. That Nicola had been willing to leave marks behind suggested that he was no longer useful.

The door opened, pulling Alexei out of his grim memories. Mama Uritski slipped into the room carrying a bed tray. She sat it down on the foot of the bed then bustled about opening curtains to let the watery sunlight in.

{Nothing too heavy I hope.} Nicki pushed away the sheet, to reveal that she was as bare as her student, and slowly drew herself up into a sitting position beside Alexei. {Our darling's stomach is rather sensitive right now.}

He remained on his belly but Alexei's head turned her way, honing in on Nicola's voice as if drawn by a magnet. Noticing his mentor's nudity, he began to tremble.

Mama Uritski smiled blandly. {No, my lady. I was careful.} She assured the other woman without reproach, as if she hadn't been catering to Alexei since he arrived into the Family's less-than-gentle care over ten years ago.

Nicola stretched, shifted, and then peeled away the sheet from her student's body. She gazed down at the damage she had inflicted. {It's not so bad.} An open jar of salve sat ready on the nightstand.

When Nicki's cool, thin fingers began to spread the aromatic gel over his cuts Alexei sighed, practically melting under the attention.

"Moi negodyaj." Nicola went so far as to climb to her knees and straddle her young apprentice. {My poor, pretty pet.} She leaned to place a dry kiss on a bit of his less damaged skin. {My best boy. My only boy.} She continued to stroke him.

{I love you, Nicki.} Alexei vowed, delighting in the feel of her papery, dry skin against his.

{I know, pretty one. I love you too.} The ministrations were closer to petting strokes than anything else. {You make me cross sometimes but you're my dear boy and I love you.} Her slight frame shifted off and back beside him. Nicola picked up a damp towel and wiped her hands. {Can my pet sit up?}

It didn't matter if it hurt. Alexei forced himself to push upright and face his foster mother.

{What a good boy you are.} Nicola praised. She waited until the servant skittered over to move the tray within easy reach before extending a hand to lift one of the elegant silver domes from the plates. Cubes of thick, warm bread glistening with honey were uncovered.

Alexei's breath caught. The next revelation added to his excitement. Chunks of melon and fruit lay on that circle of china, all chopped into bite-sized pieces. Finger food. He watched avidly as Nicki picked up a morsel and brought it to his lips.

{Open your mouth, my darling.}

Nicola was feeding him. That was something she hadn't done in years. She allowed him to lick the traces of honey from her fingertips. The indulgence made him whimper and strain towards her. He was suddenly so hard it hurt. His pulse rate kicked into triple time.

They were both nude, in Nicola's bed, and she was feeding him. Alexei shivered. She was going to let him touch her this morning.

Alexei stared at the milk white skin marked with blue veins that stretched tight down her throat. Nicki had to tap his chin to catch his attention.

{Breath. Eat,} she reminded him. A strawberry was pressed to his lips. {If my darling is good enough and eats all his breakfast…} the promise was left hanging.

{You'll let me taste you?}

Nicki's thin lips pursed at his enthusiasm, and then curved into a smile. {Maybe more.} She pressed another chunk of delectable bread on him.

It was hard to make himself eat. His mouth had dried out. His gaze dared to lower, taking in the sight of the first woman he'd ever laid hands on, ever lay down with. The light didn't flatter the elderly woman but what Alexei saw was filtered through years of worship.

{Eat my darling,} Nicola coaxed. "Moi komnatnoe." A frail hand brushed his cheek. {My baby boy.} The pause was a purposeful tease. "Moi syn."

Son. The moan Alexei let out was dragged up from the darkest, most remote part of his soul. "Mama" His voice was a faint whisper. Alexei couldn't hold himself in check. He pressed close, burying his face against the elegant line of Nicola's throat, almost crying. "Mat, pazhaluysta." The tremors that wracked him were impossible to contain.

{There, there… my darling boy. Only if you promise to eat afterwards.} Her fingers carded through thick dark hair. Nicola's directed him subtly.

Alexei had to bite back a cry of protest as the object of his worship began to move away but, gratefully, it was only to recline next to him. Nicola was pulling him down with her. He stretched out slightly above Nicki but remained on his hands and torn knees. {Please.} He begged again.

{You may.}

The permission rocked him to the core. With excruciating care Alexei traced his lips across her sharp collarbones, and then down to capture a soft, rose coloured nipple. Nicola allowed him to suckle at first one, and then longer at the other, before urging him off her breast and back up. His kisses were hesitant, over the corners of her mouth and across her cheeks.

{It's all right, Baby.} Nicki guided his face with one hand while the other one eased down between them.

At the same time Alexei fell into an open-mouthed kiss with her, Nicola stroked his straining erection. The young man practically screamed into her mouth and his whole body shuddered violently with an unexpected orgasm.

Nicola broke the kiss to touch her tongue to his skin, tasting his tears.

{I'm sorry, Nicki. I'm so sorry.} Alex sobbed.

{Hush, Darling. It's all right,} she soothed. {My boy is young and strong. Warm me up, Precious. I need more time with my baby boy to get going. I can wait.} Nicola lay back on the soft mattress, pressing gently at the top of his head.

{I love you so much… Mama.} Just saying the not-quite forbidden word sent a rush of blood back down to his groin.

{I know, Darling, but show me anyway.}

xx

Alexei didn't like how much attention was turned on him right now. One of the Catherines, Riene, was fussing over his tie and murmuring about how handsome he looked, even in such a disgustingly cheap suit. Another of girls, perhaps Kate, stood behind him checking out the way the fabric was lying over his shoulders and back to see if the bandages were obvious. Olga and Nicola were discussing him in muted tones near the door. Mama Uritski's son stood ready to drive him to the airport. It was suffocating to have so many people hovering about after spending last few days with Nicola.

Nicki glided over, shooing away the two girls. When the old woman stopped before him Alexei immediately dropped to his badly bruised knees. He looked up at her hopefully and earned a gentle touch on his hair. Permission. Alexei leaned forward, resting the side of his face against her stomach.

{Olga isn't certain we should send you back to America so soon.} Nicola petted him. {She is concerned that you're too fragile right now. What do you think, Pet? Would you rather stay here with me?}

Alexei's hands lifted to rest on her narrow hips. He wanted to bunch his fingers into the cloth of her dress and hang on but Nicki would be irritated if he crumpled the fabric. "Da, pazhaluysta." Alex begged. {Don't send me away, Nicki. Not yet. Just another few days. I need you so much.}

A thin finger touched his chin, tipping it up. "Moi mladenets."

She smiled at him. Nicola smiled at him and his heart ached. {May I stay then?} He was forgiven, really and truly forgiven. The thought warmed him from his core on out.

"Nyet, moi malchik nebol'shoj." Her denial was firm, yet without malice. {You've a plane to catch.} Her hand caressed his cheek. {But not because I'm trying to punish you any further. You have work to do. What I want is for you to do well on this assignment.} Nicola's thumb brushed across his lower lip. He kissed at it, desperate to prove his devotion. {And if my pretty pet is a complete professional and impresses these Americans… then I will come over to the States for a quick visit after you graduate Quantico and you can show me around.}

{Perhaps he'd rather meet you in England.} Olga's voice was near a snarl. {That seems to be his favourite vacation spot recently.}

Alexei couldn't contain the flinch even naming that country caused in him. His stomach tightened up and he wanted to vomit.

{Ah yes.} Nicola's fingers spread, measuring the reactions in the muscle of his jaw. {Olga is still concerned about your affection for Major Sharpe.}

A whimper escaped him. Phantom pain lanced from his right ear down to his balls at hearing that name and he had to actively fight the urge to double over or curl up into a fetal ball.

{I want that English bastard dead.} Olga demanded from her place near the wall. {I want it done immediately.}

{That could be arranged. We will discuss later, Olga.} Nicki continued to stare down at her student. {Whom should I commission to do the job, Lexi?}

{Whomever Olga chooses,} he whispered. {I don't care. I don't want to know. I never want to think about him again.}

Nicola's hand exerted pressure, indicating he should stand. {Go to Olga, Pet.} Thin fingers flicked in the younger woman's direction.

He crossed the room, watching his feet and not daring to look his foster sister in the eyes. It hurt. Every step hurt the soles of his feet, which were still raw from the leather strap Nicola had used on them. His back burned despite the salve and cotton protecting it. Coming to a halt in front of Olga, Alexei stood, awaiting orders.

{Not a mark shows. You do lovely work, Nicola.} The compliment was sincerely voiced. {Still, it will be a long flight and he doesn't report in right away,} Olga observed. {Lift your face, Lexi.} Olga was no wilting flower to settle for a hard, open-handed slap. Her fist balled up and she jabbed Alexei just to the left of his nose. {Do you know why I just hit you, little brother?} The demand came as soon as he finished reeling from the blow.

{Because I deserved it.} Alex's response was a bare whisper.

{Partially.} Olga caught his chin. {But mostly, because I wanted to and because I can.} She laughed. {Do you want a kiss good-bye, Lexi?}

{Please.} He couldn't nod. He was too dizzy.

{Too bad.} Olga sneered and walked away from him. {Because that's something you don't deserve.}

Alexei had to bite his lip to stifle a whimper. His fingers spasmed into a fist to contain the urge to reach for her. Pleading never worked with Olga. It only made her angry.

{Riene. Ride in the back of the car with Alexei to the airport,} Nicola ordered. {See to it he's 'settled' and tidy before he gets out of the car.} She paced over to her foster son's side. The back of her hand brushed at the tears in the corner of his eyes. {Now, now. No crying, my pet. If you want Olga to forgive you then you'll simply have to work harder to prove yourself,} the elderly woman informed him. {Marie will check on you in two weeks. If all goes well I will join you in America when your training is completed. How long I stay with you will depend entirely on how well you perform in this task.} Nicola kissed him, right where Olga had struck. {You will phone home every evening until Marie has a chance to check on you. We will then reconsider how long your leash will be.}

"Spasibo, Nicki." Alexei murmured. {I love you, Nicki.}

{I know, Dear.} She kissed his cheek and waved him on his way.

That's all. Milk and cookies time.

xx

Title: Conflict of interest
Author: Carla Jane
Address: jimcarla@hotmail.com
Rating: It was going to be R... oops, it's NC17 after all Slash & general m/m & m/f sexual relationships major Alex torture
Date: November 2000
Summary: This is what happened in Switzerland and afterwards. An X-files/Sharpe crossover pairing Alex Krycek and a VERY 'alternate universe' version of Richard Sharpe. This is the eighth and final story in my series 'Sharpe's Scoundrel'. I'm afraid it's not going to make perfect sense unless you've a rough idea of what's already happened between Dickin and Xander. The previous tales are archived on my homepage at: http://members.dencity.com/CarlaJane/homepage.html For more on Sharpe/Krycek you will have to wait the next mainline 'Scoundrels' story
It is now early in 1992. Sharpe is a still a Major of a British black-ops squad called 'the Essex'. Krycek is member of a Russian mafia family, the Romanovs. Since the last story Sharpe has set up a deal with the British government that will allow Alex to turn crown's evidence and come clean.
Disclaimers: Bernard Cornwell, Chris Carter, Fox, and the various actors, writers and production companies own these toys.
Beta readers, I dearly love my beta readers. I've been gifted with the joy of watching Erika mature into a confident and through beta reader, as well as an author in her own right since I've first started exchanging notes with her. Lorelei is to be thanked for turning this tale from a good piece into something I've even more proud of. She campaigned for extra scenes of Alexei and his Family and convinced me to jack this baby from PG up to NC17.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]