Go to notes and disclaimers


La Princesa Guerrera V
by Carla Jane and Jim


GABRIELLE: "Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."

Dana wasn't sure what woke her out of the light doze she had fallen into. It might have been a whimper or the restless shifting of the body next to her. Being an Earl's daughter, she had been granted her own bedroom since childhood. During those occasions that Dana had chosen to share a bed in the last few years it hadn't been to actually sleep beside another person. "Then there was Thistlemoor's backfield and the Pendrell's linen closet." Part of her mind reminded her with a smug smirk.

A pleased sigh slipped out of Gabrielle's barely parted lips. She squirmed in place, tangling the tossed-back sheet tighter around bare legs. A few wistful sounding words in a language the Irish woman didn't recognise murmured out. Gabrielle tugged absently at her flimsy white shirt, pulling it snugly to the side and revealing hardened nipples to Dana's observation.

"Holy Brighid." The redhead whispered as she propped herself up on one elbow. Disregarding the uncomfortable stab of guilt she felt at the intrusion on Gabrielle's privacy, Dana studied her sleeping companion. Whoever the storyteller was dreaming about was one fortunate soul. Dana had never been privy to such an exquisite scene of arousal. Her own youthful fumblings seemed so dry by comparison, inadequate when compared to what Dana expected before entering into the tryst. She couldn't help but envy both Gabrielle and her dream partner.

The blonde whispered another few words in that liquid sounding language she was using. Most of it was lost but the name 'Xena' came out clearly during a particularly sensuous roll of Gabrielle's hips.

Dana blinked in surprise. "I should have seen this coming." She told herself, leaning closer. The knowledge that the storyteller was La Princesa Guerrera's lover made a few of Gabrielle's more puzzling comments fall into place.

"Missed you." One hand skimmed up Gabrielle's writhing body, flitting over her hip, stomach, breast and throat. The trembling fingers ended up tangled in her sweat-dampened golden hair. "Oh Xena. I love you."

Dana's cheeks felt hot for more than one reason. Her mind was muddled enough that she barely noticed that the other woman's breathy exclamations had changed to English. Had she herself ever looked so helplessly aroused under the attentions of one of her partners?

"Ah... ah... Xena, please." Gabrielle's body tensed erotically.

Dana stared, chewing at a knuckle to keep from reaching out. Not with Sean, maybe with Holly. Holly had the advantage of five years experience and a good deal of sexual tutoring from other members of the serving staff on Dana.

"NO!" The wail of desolation shattered the mood. "I can't stay here without her!" The bard was quite suddenly close to tears.

Without thinking Dana extended a hand to soothe the other woman's distress but a thrashing arm fended it off. "It's all right." The redhead sat up the rest of the way. "Take it easy." She patted a lean, bared leg.

Gabrielle's expression shifted into a determined frown. "Hades, it's not fair. How can I be content in the afterlife...forever separated from my reason for being?"

Strangely enough, that first word sounded more like a name than the curse Dana expected it should mean. Her classical education helped with the reference, odd as it was. Gabrielle was arguing with a devil substitute from ancient Greece. As for the 'reason for being' remark. That one caught in Dana's thoughts and stuck. What would it be like to love someone so completely that you credited them with sustaining your existence? Sure, she loved her family. Da, Mam, and Melissa were the centre of her world, and then there was William. Dana wanted to believe the time would come when she cared for him the same, but she wasn't naïve. Right now her reaction to William was a mixture of wishful thinking and a gut level physical response to how attractive he was.

"You owe us!" the blonde protested then went frighteningly still. "NO!" This was anger, but she quickly flipped back to loss again. "You don't mean that." Gabrielle's tightly shut eyes leaked tears. "But I love you."

Dana tossed caution and respectability to the wind. She would deal with the consequences later. For now the Irish woman just wanted to soothe the hurt in her new friend's voice. "Hush. It's okay." Dana gathered the weakly struggling form into her arms. Lord, it felt good in so many ways, only one of which was purely tactile. Offering comfort made her feel useful after a day of being nothing more than a tagalong. Except for her short stint at caring for Patrick's babe Dana had done little she could be proud of since leaving home. She missed Thistlemoor and the people that populated the surrounding countryside. She missed running wild through the tall sunset landscape while Melissa chased her, giggling and happy. Mostly she missed the opportunity to just relax and be herself, careless of who might be watching.

Gabrielle thrashed against the comfort a moment then, with a whimper, snuggled around the other woman's body. "Oh Xena. Don't leave me again." Her face crushed enthusiastically into the heat of Dana's breasts, nuzzling.

A sad, understanding look settled onto Dana's face. She petted the tousled gold hair, a steady, rhythmic stroke. "Hush-a-bye. It's going to be all right." A kiss pressed down. "I've got you."

No one was having a comfortable night it seemed. The floorboards in the hallway creaked with the tread of some other restless guest. Through the wall, Dana could hear William tossing in the hold of his own dreams. His mumbles were muffled by the obstructions between them so she couldn't hear him clearly, however a distressed cry of "Alex, how could you?" cut through the plaster.

Another set of feet padded down the hallway outside their door.

Dana rocked in place as Gabrielle's restrained sobs came to an end with yet another whisper of 'Xena'. William shouted out something about being sorry and a faint squeak of a door and stealthy tread was almost, but not quite, overpowered. Why was there movement in William's room if he was in bed having a nightmare? "Gabrielle..." Dana's comforting rock switched to a shake. She squirmed, reluctantly attempting to lift the other woman's face out of her cleavage. "Gabrielle wake up." Damn it. That was definitely the sound of William's pack being dragged across the floor. Finally the storyteller's confused green eyes opened. Just as a plea of "Skinner! Help me!" erupted from next door. "Something's wrong with William." Dana untangled herself from Gabrielle's embrace.

The bard rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "By the Gods!" Her face burned red with embarrassment at waking to find herself wrapped around her new friend with her head resting between two very soft breasts.

Some dull thumping and Spanish curses cut off anything that Gabrielle was about to say. The blonde came immediately alert, jumping off the bed and scooping up her staff as she lunged for the door to their room.

Dana hesitated a breath, mildly concerned over her half-dressed state, while Gabrielle exited the room. The fact that someone was obviously fighting in the next room decided her. Dana might not be up to William and Gabrielle's skill level but her aid might be needed. The Irish woman climbed off the bed and scanned the room for something she could use as a weapon. The pistol and rifle were both in her fiancee's room. A rather heavy, empty water jug seemed the best bet. She picked up the ceramic container and padded over to peek out the open doorway. The ruckus was coming from inside William's room, but one figure was in the hall creeping up to the portal. Luckily his back was towards Dana. Hoisting the jug high above her head the small woman tiptoed up. He was lifting a pistol, aiming into the noisy bedroom just as Dana brought the water jug crashing down over his head. He collapsed under the blow. She winced at the ache the action had caused in her arms and stepped over the prone form to peek into the room.

One bandit lay bonelessly over Mulder's struggling form. A pool of scarlet was forming in the man's greasy hair.

Gabrielle's staff whistled through the air smashing the rickety chair that another Spaniard was defending himself with. His expression was dire. With a roar the man charged at the tiny woman who had so effortlessly taken out his partner as he was strangling their original target. His large hands extended to grab her.

Gabrielle side-stepped the wild attack and turned in a complete circle to gain the momentum that she needed to land a truly painful strike across the man's shoulder-blades, flattening him. Unfortunately he crashed into Fox's pack and weapons, which he promptly grabbed after.

Dana let out a little yelp of distress and scrambled after the gun the bandit in the hallway had been holding. Her worry was misplaced. Gabrielle landed a sharp rap across the man's fingers then thumped him hard on the forehead with the butt of her staff. He slumped flat to the floor without another sound.

"Dana!" Gabrielle noticed the redhead crouching in the doorway. The handle of a shattered water pitcher rolled away at the startled response the Irish woman's name produced. Dana's shaking hands were wrapped around a pistol. Seeing the fright in the other's eyes, the bard kept her voice steady and calm. "Dana pull the sheets off the bed. We need to tie these two...three." She amended, noticing the man sprawled just behind her friend. The bard turned to look over William's state. Gabrielle shoved the body draped over Fox onto the floor with both hands, freeing her friend. Mulder was gasping and only half-aware. Gabrielle helped him to sit up. "Can you breathe, Fox?"

He nodded, staring about at the hapless robbers.

Dana attempted to gather up the pile of fabric bunched up at the foot of William's bed. "If we cut this into strips it'll go further but it's kind of thin."

"It'll do until we can wake the innkeeper and get something stronger." Gabrielle allowed, standing up.

"Christ..." Mulder swung his legs off the bed, clearing the way for his fiancee to tug the sheet loose but didn't rise. His head still spun and his throat burned. "They...I was asleep..." He croaked. How could he have not realised the attack was coming? They must have made noise breaking into his room. He should have awoken. This never would have happened back in Canada. Where the hell had his sense of self-preservation gone? If his companions hadn't come to his rescue he'd be dead by now. Fox looked up. On top of everything else he suddenly realised that the two women in his room were half-nude and his only reaction was embarrassment...total shame that his carelessness had required that they were the ones to save HIM from robbery and death. "Thank you Gabrielle." The words of gratitude hurt for several reasons, the least of which was his damaged windpipe.

"Don't thank me." The Amazon set to slicing strips out of the thin sheet with a knife she had fished out of his pack. "I was passed out cold. We shouldn't have pushed ourselves so hard today, Fox. It dulled us. If Dana hadn't heard and woke me up... You should thank her."

Fox shifted a blasted expression on his fiancee. "Dana?"

The Irish woman kept her hopeful expression as tightly under control as possible. "I heard footsteps, then some trouble in here."

"She also took out this one." Gabrielle started with the limp man in the hallway. She dragged him into the room, flopped him over and efficiently bound his wrists together. "He was behind me, wasn't he, Dana?"

"Yeah. He had a gun. I guess he figured silence wasn't required any longer."

"Gods." Gabrielle added just the hint of unnecessary harshness to the knot she was tying. "Thank you, Dana. You saved both our lives tonight."

Fox rose shakily to his feet. His gaze ran over the three men then ended up once more on the woman that he was supposed to marry. Lord but she had gorgeous legs, not as perfectly formed as Gabrielle's but, still impressive. Mulder bit the inside of his mouth, demanding focus from himself. He swallowed painfully. "Thank you, Dana." His voice was low and husky.

"You're welcome, William." She whispered back.

Not that wretched name again, but then, he hadn't offered up any alternative had he? "Sam calls me Wils, when Father isn't proof-reading her letters. My friends call me Fox." He gave her the choice. Shame flickered in eyes more grey than blue right now.

"I'd like to call you Fox." Dana admitted quietly.

"Yeah, well..." Fox pushed away from the bed on less than steady legs. "I'll go tell the owner of this place that it's infested. Excuse me." He edged past Dana, his eyes on the floor, and headed for the stairs.

Dana stared after him, leaning back against the wall in reaction. "By the hollow hills..."

"And then some." Gabrielle seconded the pleased emotion behind the phrase she didn't quite understand.

xx SCULLY (to Mulder): "You said it yourself once. You said that a... a dream is an answer to a question we haven't learned how to ask."

Much to Mulder's disappointment the women had withdrawn back to their own room as soon as Fox brought the innkeeper up. He could have used a few minutes in their company to help centre himself. Between the rude awakening, the dull pain in his throat, and the flurry of activity Mulder wasn't ready to settle down onto his newly made bed and sleep.

One of the owner's daughters had replaced his torn sheets while Fox and the innkeeper dragged the thieves down to the stable. Maybe it would be best to clean up a little and get out of the top layer of gear he wore. With the edge taken off his exhaustion his body was going to be more particular about it's comfort. Sleeping in his boots and ammo belt wasn't the most restful sensation.

Through the wall he could just make out the murmur of his companions. Perhaps it was all for the best that they withdrew promptly. Something that sounded suspiciously like crying had come through a bit earlier. His own emotional state was precarious enough. Handling an upset woman was completely beyond his capabilities right now.

After sliding the washstand in front of the door Fox divested himself of his boots, belt and vest. He moved his weapons to within reach of the bed then flopped down on the creaking mattress, lacking the physical energy to bother washing up after all. His wrists dangled off either side of the bed frame and he stared at the ceiling.

Faint images from his interrupted dream came back to tease at the edges of his mind. Parts of the jumbled enactment made perfect sense. Father, Sam and Skinner were regular performers in his nightmares. It was strange however that Gabrielle and Alex seemed to have usurped Eyota and Jan's usual places. Fox hadn't realised how strong an impression the blonde was making in his brain.

Fox turned his face into the fresh scent of the sheets. The main message behind the nightmare was painfully obvious. It wasn't the first time his sleeping mind had slammed him about his violent temper but it was one of the clearest representations. That clarity was likely a result of fatigue combined with his despicable behaviour towards his fiancee. He hadn't intended to have this kind of extended contact with the girl. There was supposed to be a brief ceremony as soon as he arrived, a quick consummation, then Fox had intended to promptly ship his new wife back to Ireland. His actions towards her were disgraceful, Mulder realised that. Hell, he was aware of his boorish behaviour as it occurred. Even as he caved to pressure and did as Father demanded, part of him was attempting to chase her off. Unfortunately, the girl refused to co-operate. So either she was more desperate for the union than expected or, wonder of wonders, she actually liked him.

"It has to be the first." Fox told himself. "There was no way the latter could apply." The girl... the young woman, he corrected himself, was past the age that most noblewomen should be safely married. Fox had overheard Father and one of his compatriots speculating on why the Earl of Thistlemoor was willing to promise his daughter to such a distant, unknown suitor. A dubious reputation or a homely face had been their chief conjectures. Still, actions held greater weight with Fox than his Father's malicious theories. Yes, Dana had slowed them down, but she also tried valiantly. The fact was he should have admitted his own exhaustion sooner and rested. If he had then events would have occurred differently. This entire misadventure with the thieves was his fault. He hadn't been up to the challenge. His fiancée had been the one to notice the trouble and raise the alarm. She had flattened one of the thieves too. Admittedly, her weapon was a crude choice, not like Gabrielle's impressive staffwork, but it had gotten the job done. She hadn't just stood back and screamed like some girls might.

Fox closed his eyes. His forehead creased. "Okay, she's pretty too. " Not the type he was accustomed to, a wholesome, sweet-faced girl and so petite. "No shorter than Gabrielle." It was unfair to compare the two women, like apples and peaches... and just forget putting Eyota in the same basket. Dana was beautiful, but in her own unique way. "When did pretty become beautiful, Fox?" He asked himself.

His temples throbbed with every beat of his heart, a situation he was all too familiar with. There was no way he was going to get any sleep until he worked this through.

"What's the problem, Fox?" His own mind demanded. "That's the woman you promised to marry. If you don't want to end up living some kind of twisted façade like Father and Mother... you had better open yourself up to the possibilities Dana presents instead of wishing after things you can't get a grip on." He thumped his head back on the mattress. "Like Gabrielle." Came the thought. "I might still have a chance with Gabrielle... yeah, right. Even in my dreams she likes Dana better than me."

A vision came of himself sitting in the dark alone wreathed in smoke... with a mostly empty bottle of whiskey, while his wife was upstairs dealing with a crying child. Fox shivered. It was too clear, too close. "What did father think of to put him in the mood to lash out at his own flesh and blood? How near are Father's regrets to my own?"

A slightly hysterical chuckle escaped. Somehow Fox didn't think anything like Alex's wicked green eyes and seductive wiles preyed on Father's mind. Still... old loves, unfulfilled wishes, and the sensation of being trapped weren't likely to be unique thoughts.

So there it was. Maybe tomorrow, instead of sulking off alone, it was time to talk to the woman he was supposed to spend the rest of his life with. There was a spark of something there, something that could stand investigating. It was either going to work between him and Dana... or he'd best bail out now before the water got any deeper.

xx

XENA (about Gabrielle): "She believes that everyone has a soul mate on earth made just for them."

"Should we try to block the door?" Dana asked, sitting down on the edge of the bed. The simple hook lock no longer instilled her with much confidence.

Gabrielle shook her head. "Two attacks in one night is fairly unlikely... and it would slow us down if Fox needed us again." She reasoned. "The thieves most likely thought he had all the money and valuables... being the man. Once they took him out they would have come in here next."

Dana stared, wide-eyed, at the door. "They were going to kill him." The statement came out in a shocked whisper. "He almost died tonight." She processed, her head slowly shook back and forth.

"But they didn't." Gabrielle reminded the other. "You saw to that. You heard them before it could go that far." The bard steered the topic carefully, slightly embarrassed by what she needed to discuss. "I suppose I woke you." She leaned her staff against the wall. "I should explain a few things. I didn't mean to disturb you."

"Don't let it bother you." Dana cut the beginning of the explanation off with a frown, her ginger brows coming together.

"No, really... I was way out of line." Gabrielle persisted. "I'm sorry."

"You were having a nightmare... then... " The other woman dismissed the incident, her own guilt at enjoying the contact clawed at her conscience. "Any of us could die before we get back to camp." Her mind stubbornly examined the concept of losing her fiancee. "Oh my God." Blue eyes turned on her companion. "My family is depending on my marriage to William. All the bank drafts are waiting in London... waiting on me producing a marriage certificate. Father can't hold the land much longer without Mr Mulder's money." Her pleasant Irish accent didn't help to ease the flatness of her tone. "But it's more than that."

Gabrielle settled down on the bed beside the other woman. Her preliminary hesitation at initiating physical contact was overcome by the look of misery on Dana's face. A lean arm lifted to wrap around Dana's narrow shoulders. Shivers were just beginning to wrack the other woman's frame.

"When Da first talked to me about marrying William... Fox... " She spoke in a bare murmur. "I was absolutely furious with him because his carelessness was the cause of things getting so bad. Da was almost in tears at having to use me as a bartering piece, but there was no other way left. Thistlemoor has been in our family for longer than we have records. Both my brothers and all my ancestors are buried there." She winced. "It's more than the place we live. It's our life's blood. Still, Da left the final decision up to me. I'm the one that told him to accept Mr Mulder's offer all the time swearing that the devil himself must have crossed the ocean and whispered our troubles into that man's ear. It's eerie how he knew just what to offer and exactly what we were willing to concede." Dana's eyes shut tight. "Then I got the first letter from Samantha."

When the silence threatened to stretch too long Gabrielle prompted gently. "Fox's little sister."

It was enough to restart the sombre monologue. "She seems like such a sweet kid, a strange combination of innocence and tomboy carelessness." Dana found it hard to pin down Samantha's character. Maybe what Fox had said about Mr Mulder proof-reading the missives was a factor. "But, Holy mother, does she adore her brother. I suspect she thinks he hung the moon and stars in the night sky. Maybe that's because of their age difference or maybe most sisters feel that way. I don't know." Her breath caught. "My brothers... Charlie was just a kid when he died and Wally wasn't much older when the fever took him. Do you have any brothers, Gabrielle?" The question was almost an afterthought.

"I had a sister." The blonde admitted. "There was her husband, but I don't think that's anywhere near the same." This wasn't where the conversation needed to go. "How many letters did it take before you... " Gabrielle steered, letting the sentence hang unfinished on purpose.

"Before I fell in love with him?" The back of one hand wiped at a damp trail on Dana's cheek. "Only two. I suppose I'm easy... and she was ever so enthusiastic. Well, maybe three, if you count his. It was the one that sprang the trap shut." She corrected. "I got this note from him with her second mailing. I can't help but wonder now if he even wrote it himself." A sniffle slipped out. "It's folded up in my diary. I hope that horrid spy hasn't lost it."

Yes, that was a tear glinting on one freckled cheekbone.

"In the note he told me some story he said he found in a dusty, old book of Greek mythology. It started 'Tis said, that in the dawn of the world mankind wore different bodies. Each figure had two heads, four arms and four legs.' I grinned the first time I read that line."

Gabrielle recognised it immediately. That one of her favourite tales from her own time would survive this far into the future caused a jolt of pleasure to rattle her.

"I wish I could show it to you. It was so elegantly written." Dana's laugh was shaky. "It went on to tell how the gods in some fit of anger hurled thunderbolts down at the world ripping every one of the people below in half and scattered the pairs." She paraphrased. "Ever since that time men and women have felt the need to spend their lives searching for the other half of their souls... trying to become whole again." A flutter of intense emotion shivered through Dana's body.

"That's... " "What exactly do I say?" "That's a beautiful story." Gabrielle couldn't help but recall the time she had told that very tale to Iolaus as he lay wounded in her arms while darkness threatened to swallow the world.

Dana nodded. "That's what I thought when I read it. I know it's just a fairy tale, but do you believe it, Gabrielle, that somewhere everyone has an absolutely perfect mate?"

"Gods!" Her blonde head rested carefully against the red. "I think perhaps that there are a multitude of people we meet over the course of time that we could happily spend our lives with... if circumstances happen to fall the right way." She considered. "And most folk will find one of those types of relationships eventually." Many years of observation contributed to her theory. "But some of us, if we're very lucky or we spend long enough looking... Yes, I think there is one perfect lovematch for us all. There's one person with whom you become so perfectly complete that it's like finding the other half of your soul." Her voice was husky with emotion. "And if you're fortunate enough to chance across that person it changes you forever after."

"I've never considered myself a romantic, Gabrielle." Dana whispered. "Everyone back home says I've a fine, sensible head on my shoulders." Her amusement was strained. "At least my family and friends would all take that argument. I've been treated accordingly ever since I was old enough to speak my mind. Melissa is the dreamer in the family." Just a hint of jealousy crept into her tone. "Of course, Samantha and her family... being on the far side of the ocean and never having met me... how were they to know my temperament? So William... Fox writes me this child's tale, and normally I would smile then toss it aside but... something about it. It preyed on my mind over days... that he would share that story with me... " She sighed. "I don't know what he was thinking, telling it to me. Maybe he didn't mean it the way I took it but... the mood of it seized my heart." Her face turned into Gabrielle's shoulder. "I honestly want to make this work. I want to... but those villains almost ended it before we've even had a chance."

"Almost." The other reminded. "But they didn't succeed."

"What about tomorrow? What about every day after that? We're in the middle of a war." Dana's voice broke. "I don't want to loose him before I've even had him... and I don't know how... " She lost coherency as the sobs shook her. "I want to go home. I want to lock him in chains and put him somewhere safe... make him listen to me. I want to go in there, climb into his bed, and hold him so tight that the scent of his body gets permanently burned into my brain."

That sentiment caught Gabrielle off guard but she didn't comment.

"I don't want to play this game anymore."

The breakdown wasn't completely unexpected. The bard realised that Dana had been running on adrenaline and emotions just like Fox. The nap that the Irish woman had taken on the table downstairs hadn't been nearly long enough to mend the damage. Then there was Gabrielle's behaviour earlier. No doubt the situation had thrown Dana further off balance. How could she have imposed herself on her friend like that? Gabrielle had gone two thousand years with no more contact than the constant rumble of Xena's thoughts inside her mind. Gods, but she missed that mental connection every day since rejoining the living. Perhaps it was that aching emptiness that pushed her into Dana's arms.

Now here they were again, only this time it was Gabrielle offering up the comfort of whispered assurances and a sheltering embrace.

"What should I do?" The redhead gasped out between desperate swallows of air. "What should I do?"

The older girl eased them sideways and down until she could stretch out on the bed. Her right hand petted Dana's upper back while the left held her close. "You're still tired. I know it all seems overwhelming right now but there's no need to panic. Come the morning everything will make more sense."

A palm scrubbed at Dana's eyes. "I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me tonight." She apologised weakly.

"You're far from home in an unfamiliar situation, over which you have little control. You're worn down. You just thwarted a murder... stepped into danger and used force on a stranger." The Amazon listed. "Your entire support system is missing... your family and friends, so you're feeling vulnerable. I think you're holding up rather well, all things considered. Don't you?"

A weak giggle interrupted Dana's sniffles. "If my sister could see me now she would screech in shock. Melissa says I'm the steadiest person she knows... and I feel like a shipwreck."

Gabrielle eased off on the strength of her embrace only to have Dana fiercely wrap her arms about the blonde's narrow waist and hold on tight.

"I'm sorry." The Irish woman whispered. "But I need someone to keep me grounded. Please. I know I've been a burden."

A nod rubbed Gabrielle's cheek against sweat curled red hair. The physical contact was gratifying on several levels. "I understand." So this was what it was like... being the stronger, more experienced member of a team. Xena had done this same duty for her back in the beginning, but of course, Gabrielle realised that she was a different person than her lover. She didn't know if she was up to this. Xena wouldn't have allowed the attack on Fox to go as far as it did. She would have stopped them all from overextending themselves on the road by the force of her will. Xena wouldn't have groped Dana and cried in her sleep. The blonde knew the sense of guilt she was feeling was unreasonable, but that didn't stop the emotion from nipping at her. The bard hooked the blanket with one foot and pulled it high enough to grip. "Actually, it's almost frightening how well I understand. When I first began travelling... " The words almost slipped out unconsciously. "I thought I was simply a useless tag-along... but everyone contributes in their own way."

"How long have you been apart from Xena?" Dana asked gently.

"Too long. It feels like forever." Gabrielle wasn't surprised at the other's knowledge. Her immortal beloved had told her once, so very long ago, that she talked in her sleep. Dana must have heard enough to put the pieces together. " I was dreaming of her. I'm sorry about earlier, how I must have been acting... the way I grabbed at you. I never meant to make you uncomfortable about sharing a room with me."

"Nay, my friend. Think nothing of it." Dana objected. "I'm no convent born nun, to be disturbed by honest, human emotions." She considered, then discarded the idea of telling Gabrielle how much she had actually enjoyed the view. "The dream, it turned bad near the end."

Gabrielle pursed her lips. "I dreamt she was leaving me."

"Is that what happened? Did Xena leave you?"

Gabrielle exhaled her faint amusement against the Irish woman's forehead. "No. I can't see that ever happening. Neither of us LEFT. We were rather forcibly separated." She clouded the truth. "It's just taken a while for me to figure out how to get back to where I need to be." Now wasn't the time to try and explain exactly what the real situation was. Perhaps, if Dana worked out to be the kind of friend Gabrielle suspected, maybe later the story could come out in full.

"Is Xena where you need to be."

"There is no other place. She is the other half of my soul."

"No wonder you believed the story, you have experienced finding your soulmate."

Several minutes of quiet comfort passed before Gabrielle realised that the other had fallen asleep. She smiled. After spending so long without actually feeling the needs of a living, breathing body she had to admit to a certain amount of enjoyment at the renewed hungers a physical form entailed. Her unconscious groping of Dana earlier was partial proof of that. Even now, concentrating on the sensation of the pretty redhead in her arms was provoking potent twinges of desire. Fox was a damned lucky man.

It's not like Xena had been celibate all these years, so the Bard had enjoyed her share of second hand encounters. There were also a few dreams that seemed real enough to leave her fingers burning. Still, all of those mental trysts were nothing compared to the pangs of sensation she was currently dealing with.

Gabrielle's eagerness to find her lover was ascending to yet another level of need. With a wistful sigh, she snuggled herself into a comfortable position and followed Dana into the comfort of sleep... certain that the dreams that awaited her were bound to be of the sensuous variety.

xx

KRYCEK: "I don't appreciate being ditched like somebody's bad date."

Richard held his jacket closed against the moisture in the air. False dawn was only just surrendering to the sunrise. "This is the kind of shite that only happens to us." Sharpe complained. Losing a Lieutenant Colonel with absolutely no clue as to what happened was not something he wanted to explain to Wellington. The whole thing was a lesson in being careful of what you wished for. They'd gotten careless last night, not setting up a watch right off and letting the son of a bitch leave the camp alone. Now they were paying the price. Richard stood at the spot where Mulder had reached the creek last night. A muddy footprint and some disturbed rocks marked the position clearly enough. Harper and Hagman were circling around, examining the surrounding area for clues.

"He had to have gone by water, Sir." Dan Hagman looked up from where he was crouching on the far side of the small waterway, his hand absently touching the pebbled bank. "There's no sign of a trail hereabouts."

"Bloody hell." Sharpe glared at the uninformative ground. "He either didn't put up any kind of a fight... "

"... or he left by choice." Patrick finished the sentence, earning himself an annoyed glower from the Major.

All around the clearing the chosen men looked away to avoid meeting the sweep of their commander's fierce glare. His foul mood was apparent in every muscle of his body.

"Standing about isn't going to get us any answers. Harper, you take Perkins and Cooper upstream... we'll go down." Any stray evidence would have washed that way. Richard needed Hagman's sharp eyes with him.

"Aye Sir." Patrick acknowledged the order and it's irate tone. "And how far would you have us go, Major Sir?" The big man knew his friend's temper was up this morning. Sharpe was going to blow off at someone before the day was done.

"About two miles or so should do it." Richard decided. "Send Perkins after us if you find anything." Rifles firing would draw the wrong sort of attention, considering the area was in dispute. "If you don't find any traces turn around and come downstream after us." Sharpe stalked over and caught the reins of Mulder's mount. All the Colonel's gear and their extra supplies from yesterday's stop were packed on it's back.

"And if there's no trail either way?" Harper prompted carefully.

"I'll worry about that when I have to." Came the snappish reply.

The Sergeant nodded then withdrew, crooking his finger to bring his assigned companions along. It wasn't until they were out of earshot that the silence was broken.

"Do you really think the Colonel left on purpose?" Perkins tossed a nervous glance back over his shoulder as if the Major might descend on him for voicing the query.

"It would explain the lack of a trail." Patrick shrugged, watching the ground.

"But it don't make much sense." The youngest of them complained.

"And since when have you expected sense from an officer?" Cooper, on the other bank, countered. "Especially seeing as he's not even a proper born Englishman. Who knows what they teach 'em over in the colonies? He don't even speak the King's own English proper." Cooper grumped. "He talks even worse than you, Patrick." Came the taunt.

"I heard they live in big forts and wear naught but furs over there." The teenager's voice was touched with amazement. "That it's cold and it snows all year."

Patrick snorted. "You'd have to ask Harris." The red-haired rifleman knew more about that sort of thing than Harper. If it wasn't for the army it was unlikely that the Irishman would ever have set foot outside his own country. He stopped to look closer at some scuffs in the muddy ground but decided an animal was more likely responsible than their wayward Colonel was.

"If the Frogs got him they'd head north." Cooper observed out loud. "But if he just took off... do you think he'd head back to the base, Harper?"

Patrick shook his head. "There's something not quite right about that bugger, but damned if I can put my finger on what exactly he's up to." Not to mention his annoying habit of flirting with Major Sharpe. However, Patrick wasn't about to be the one to let the men in on that twist in the officer's behaviour. Then there was Miss Dana, the poor girl. Being one of the common born wasn't the most comfortable way to grow up but he wouldn't wish Miss Dana's place on any female relation he had. Bless the sweet girl's heart for trying to make the best of it but the short of things was that her Pa had sold her off like a prize mare. Patrick suspected he'd never have the means to shower his Ramona with fancy dresses and jewellery but the woman knew he loved her. They'd made a fine baby boy between them and he had every intention of getting a few more wee ones on her when the time was right. Pat suspected that if Miss Dana wanted a baby she was going to have to look to someone besides her husband... and adultery was dangerous business when big estates and titles were involved.

"How 'bout this, Sergeant Harper?" Perkins indicated a broken branch not too far ahead.

"Nay." Patrick peered closely. "It's an old break." A look about the area showed no other indicators of recent passage. "They said he's a crack woodsman." The big man rumbled absently. "Though I've seen no sign of it. If he actually is... we're not like to find his trail."

"THEY said a lot of things, Harper." Cooper grinned. "And I'm sure we would have been told more if any of us had been in camp longer."

Patrick shot a questioning look over at the other man. Most of his information had come from Miss Dana. Camp scuttlebutt was another thing entirely. "What did ya hear, Cooper?"

"The lads he was drilling... " The sly looking rifleman began. "... they said he handled their muskets like a raw recruit. One of them thought he was goin' to get chewed out over his bayonet, which he's been trying to replace, but the Colonel didn't even notice the end were broke off it. You got to admit that's an odd sort of slip-up."

"He's an odd sort of man." Patrick confirmed.

"The thing is, maybe we shouldn't be looking so hard to find the silly bloke. If all of us stick to the same story we could convince the mucky-mucks that run things it were a unfortunate incident." Cooper schemed. "The Colonel, he charged straight at a patrol without waiting for us and got himself shot." Came the mock innocent report. "His body caught in the tack and the Frogs hauled him away with the horse." A grin lit up Cooper's face. "Whatcha think Harper?"

"They might swallow it." Patrick allowed. "But do you fancy dangling at the end of a rope if the bastard turns up later with another story entirely?" The Sergeant qualified. "Best we find out what happened. We at least need a body to keep the Major on the safe side of a court martial."

Cooper grumbled to himself as he resumed searching the shore.

xx

MULDER: "You're full of crap, Krycek. You're an invertebrate scum-sucker whose moral dipstick is about two drops short of bone dry."

Aleksandr crouched down in the underbrush considering his next step carefully. Not too far ahead a French soldier was fidgeting away his turn on watch. The young soldier shifted often, swinging the barrel of his musket at any stray sound. Alek couldn't blame the kid for being edgy considering the dangers in the vicinity but it would make initiating contact a bit more difficult. The spy pondered creeping about in search of another, more stable member of the patrol but movement, especially the stealthy manoeuvres that plan of action would require, was another danger entirely.

"Uniform off... or on?" Aleksandr frowned. "Definitely on." The protection of his stolen rank wasn't something to be tossed aside. In fact, he counted on it. As a high-ranking British officer he would automatically be sent to Ducos for questioning. "French or English?" He assessed his mark confidently. "French." He couldn't take the chance of the kid misunderstanding his attempt to surrender. "Unarmed? Not in this lifetime." Alek had reached the point in his development that being without a knife near at hand gave him the shivers.

Maybe his best bet was simply to wait quietly for the changing of the guard. Approaching when two men were briefly at the post would give the soldiers a feeling of security. His legs had already gone past the stage of cramping and the position he had squirmed into wasn't completely uncomfortable. In fact the stillness that Aleksandr had fallen into was as close to resting as possible without actually falling asleep.

"The longer you stall, the better the chances are that Sharpe's crew will pick up your trail." Alek warned himself. That thought almost pricked him into action when he noticed another Frenchman join the first, a Sergeant. "Mama's angel has earned more than a few lit candles lately, Sacha. It's been your lucky month so far." Alek pushed cautiously upright, lifting his hands away from his body and upward. "Messieurs." He moved cautiously forward enough to give the startled soldiers a chance to aim their weapons on him. {I wish to surrender.} His French was carefully pronounced. "Je me rends." He repeated even louder when they did nothing but stare at him in shock.

Finally, one of them... the relief-man, shouted over his shoulder for help. Their eyes scanned the surrounding area, looking for a British trap.

{I'm alone.} Aleksandr assured them.

"Il est un officier." The elder soldier explained to the younger. {Where's your rifle, Colonel?} He demanded.

"This one knows the enemy." Alek thought with a certain amount of relief. He had recognised the subtle marks of rank and the fact that Aleksandr was wearing the green of a rifle company. {I left it behind.} The Russian explained. {I've nothing more than blades on me. I swear.} It was a lie. He had a garrotting cord threaded into his shirt collar, but they weren't going to notice that. Nor were they likely to expect the sheer number of knives he wore either.

Two more men arrived from the camp.

{Stay here, Simard.} The Sergeant ordered. {You two... look around. There's English about.} A considering frown was turned towards the surrendering officer. {Come this way, Sir.} The musket barrel indicated the direction. {Keep your hands were I can see them.}

Alek inclined his head and after making his way to where the suspicious soldier stood, he walked in ahead. Much to the spy's pleasure the patrol seemed to be larger than Aleksandr had first suspected. From the looks of things about the camp there were almost twenty men about. Sharpe's lot weren't likely to take on this bunch, even if they caught up to him.

All about the French soldiers were beginning their day. Tea was being steeped and bedrolls were being shaken out. Aleksandr was taken into the centre of the erupting activity. The Major in charge was just sliding into his blue jacket, brushing it and himself off as he did. Grass was shaken out of white-blonde hair.

Major Etienne Navarre frowned as his eyes lifted to the approaching men. There had been no musket fire to indicate a skirmish, yet here was Sergeant Moncrieff with an English officer in custody. Etienne suspected that the interruption, coming as it did... before he'd even had time to completely wake up, boded for a busy day. {Where's the trouble, Moncrieff?}

{No trouble, Sir.} The soldier stopped his captive well back from his commander. The stranger hadn't been searched yet. {This one... } His weapon gestured. {Came up on Simard just as we were changing the watch, Major. He claims he wants to surrender.} The soldier explained. {I set two of the men to combing the area for more English.}

Navarre's pale brows knit together. His voice raised to a level that rattled through the entire camp. {Double the pickets! Next shift to the perimeter. NOW!} Stormy grey eyes swung back to the newcomer. {Has he been disarmed?} The lack of a pistol or rifle didn't mean the stranger was safe.

"Commandant." Alek wanted to prevent a through search of his body. {I request parole. I surrendered.} He reminded the man.

{Who are you and what are your intentions?} Came the demand.

The Russian considered before responding. {I am Lieutenant Colonel Victor Alexander.} He supplied an alias that Ducos would recognise if the name were mentioned. "Je souhaite demander le parole." He repeated the petition yet again.

Navarre studied the young man standing in front of him. {Granted.} He finally decided. If fate wanted to drop an English Colonel in Etienne's lap he had to accept the bonus, although one part of his mind was furiously considering the possible reasons behind the appearance. British officers, especially Colonels, shouldn't be wandering about in disputed territory alone and without reason. Not prepared to squander any source of possible answers, Navarre looked about for Ducos' agent. {Where's Sergeant Malais?} He questioned Moncrieff. Maybe the brute knew something useful about covert activity hereabouts.

Aleksandr rocked back on his heels, wrapping his arms around his chest. His body visibly collapsed in on itself and he had to bite back a squeak of surprise. Luckily, the soldiers didn't seem to notice Alek's distress.

{He's left Sir.} Moncrieff explained. {The Sergeant took his two... aides... and two of our regulars, Vinay and Beaulac. They headed out to forage as soon as it was light enough to see.} He was decidedly uncomfortable being the one to inform his commander of the absence. Most of the men suspected that the expedition was without the Major's consent. Considering the way the Major's teeth were now grinding together that was a fair bet.

{Foraging... } Navarre echoed, keeping a precarious hold on his temper. He ought to string that hulking beast up for desertion, and the fools that Malais had taken along as well. The French army could do well without that sort of rabble giving proper soldiers a bad name. If Ducos weren't involved Etienne would have flogged Malais and his cronies into submission then sent them back to Paris in chains by now. {Damn the man.} The Major grumbled to himself. His gaze landed on the Brit once more. {Why are you here, Colonel?} Etienne asked, not expecting anything terribly useful out of the younger man.

Aleksandr allowed himself license to scrub wearily at the bridge of his nose. {I'm tired.} If he wanted to hold onto the pretence of his borrowed rank and nationality he didn't dare provide any useful information to this Major. {I'm lost.} The Russian added. The ironic truth behind those statements almost choked him.

Navarre's head tipped, studying the captive. He was surprised at how intensely the Colonel seemed to speak those two simple statements. {Where is your company?}

{Somewhere. Not here.} Aleksandr shrugged. {You must realise that I can't tell you anything Major.} He stated. {I would like to sit down. I really am exhausted.}

"Oui. Certainement." Etienne allowed. {Sergeant Moncrieff, see the Colonel is settled over by my tent.} The unspoken command was to stand watch over the prisoner.

Alek followed the Frenchmen. "As if I couldn't find my way alone." It was the only tent in the entire site. He dropped gratefully down to the damp ground. His attention drifted back to the Major as if pulled by a magnet. Oddly enough, there was a superficial resemblance to Major Sharpe in this French officer. This one was a bit younger and not so roughly used but he had the same blonde, angular attractiveness and air of integrity. His bearing had an aristocratic manner about it. That further distanced him from the plainspoken Englishman.

Aleksandr looked up at his guard. "Sergeant, ce qui est le nom du commandant?"

With only the briefest of grimace of delay he supplied the information. {That's Major Navarre, one of the finest officers in the whole of the Emperor's army.}

Aleksandr nodded, wracking his brain for any information on that surname. His head was stuffed with thousands of titbits and snatches of casual conversation. {Would that be Etienne or Urbain Navarre?} Three other possibilities were already disregarded due to the uniform and age of the other man.

The question drew another suspicious look from Moncrieff. {Major Etienne Navarre.} Came the reluctant response. The soldier grew even more apprehensive as he observed the intense gaze the spy fixed on the officer.

Aleksandr nodded to himself, watching the handsome Major issue orders in low, urgent tones. The soldiers obeyed hurriedly, moving immediately when Navarre's fingers gestured, stabbing the air. The Russian's mind worked, searching out any cached memories attached to Major Navarre. The man had been quite the war hero in Austria, making a name for himself at Wagram among other decisive battles. The Navarre family had money, a reasonably famous winery, and all the right connections. His cousin, Urbain Navarre, was rumoured to be only steps away from the General staff. So what was a rising star like Etienne doing out in Spanish no-man's land as a mere Major?

Aleksandr continued to study his new mark. He was aware of the Sergeant's frown of annoyance but dismissed the disapproval as unimportant. Finally the memory clicked into place. "Mercy me. Oh Mama, thank you." That's where he recalled hearing about Etienne Navarre... Alek had been eavesdropping on one of Ducos private conferences. He committed the stunt whenever possible during his brief stays near the spymaster. It was a dangerous but incredibly useful exploit. Major Etienne Navarre was firmly trapped under Ducos thumb after the spymaster had unearthed a sexual liaison the Major had with a Sergeant Armand Renault. The situation would absolutely desolate Navarre's parents since he was an only child and the sole hope of providing grandchildren. It would also outrage the Major's superiors on several levels. A lion's share of the trouble would have come from the fact that Renault had been a recently promoted subordinate, promoted by Navarre of course. None of that made the Major into Ducos' creature, not to the same level Alek was... but it was enough to keep Navarre accepting the spymaster's unsavoury orders without balking.

Aleksandr's first reaction to the memory was to glance at Moncrieff. The Russian was usually able to pick out men who were open to his advances without any trouble and this Sergeant didn't strike him that way. The Major wouldn't be so foolish as to make the same mistake twice either.

Eventually Etienne paced his way over to where Aleksandr was seated. {I was just about to eat. I'm sure there's enough to share. Will you join me Colonel?}

"Oui. Merci." Alek responded wearily.

{A small portion of my unit... } Etienne considered. {... has to be collected. I'm afraid I won't be able to allow you much time to rest.} Navarre observed that the young Colonel looked absolutely exhausted. Dark smudges underscored the pair of startling green eyes that looked up at him.

{I'll take what I can get.} Alek murmured. He flexed his legs straight, massaging them absently.

Etienne stared at his prisoner. The thought had occurred to him that this could be Krycek, the spy that Malais was waiting on. That would certainly explain the man's sudden appearance and the surrender. {Where's your rifle, Colonel? Your sword? Your horse?}

{A situation that I'm not at liberty to explain forced me to part company with all of those things.} Aleksandr hedged. {I regret the loss of my mount the most. It's made for a hard night's travel.} He stretched expansively once before leaning back slightly to rest on his hands and arms. A slight head movement flopped his untidy bangs forward. Dark jade eyes went innocently wide and long lashes batted, very discreetly. Aleksandr smoothed his face into youthful harmlessness and his posture loosened. {When will we be moving out to... collect... your absent members, Major Navarre?}

The young man had the kind of smoky warm voice that made Etienne think of sweat-slick, tangled sheets. Distracted with that intriguing voice and the way the Englishman had absently laid himself out for display, the Major didn't respond promptly to the question. It wasn't until he noticed the other's expectant expression that Etienne finally answered. {Long enough to eat... and I'll have Danton put some water on to heat. No offence, Colonel Alexander, but you do look a little worse for wear.} His brow furrowed as he continued to look at the other. {Your French is flawless.}

{Too much education and not enough woodcraft.} Alek laughed. {Pity my tutor couldn't see into the future. Last night I would rather have know how to navigate by starlight rather than how to read Latin. Still, I survived and located you. This is the first step to being returned to civilisation, is it not? Might I ask where and to whom you intend to hand me over?}

Navarre frowned, still uncertain of his own plans. His mission was to keep patrolling for the Warrior Princess but the British Colonel needed to be turned over to Major Ducos. He could dispatch Malais and his two men with the Colonel, but they were hardly an appropriate escort for this prisoner and they had their own orders. There was no way that Navarre was going to splinter his own men. That would be an invitation to slaughter. The remaining option seemed to be that Etienne and the entire column take the Brit in before returning to the border. With luck they would come back to find Sergeant Malais killed by their partisan target and they could trail 'La Princesa' from the scene.

{Major Navarre?} Alek prompted.

{We will be taking you to a castle... not so far away. I'm sure the commander there will see to ransoming you.}

One shoulder lifted negligently. {No hurry.} Aleksandr offered up a suggestive smile. A plan was beginning to crystallise in the back of the spy's mind. If this Major could be somehow convinced to dispose of Malais and then Alek could slip away... The Russian had never operated on this loose a leash before. Usually he either had a strict timetable to adhere to or Malais was within striking distance of himself or, more dangerously, his family. There was an excellent chance that Aleksandr could make it to Paris and liberate Tatyana and Dimitri before Ducos gave up on Alek and ordered them killed. The only question remaining was where would he take them. That was a monumental problem all it's own. A bowl full of some kind of porridge was thrust down at Aleksandr by a soldier, interrupting his ruminations.

{Where are you from Colonel?} Navarre accepted his own breakfast with an absent nod of thanks.

{London.} Alek chose one of the few places in England that he actually had a working knowledge of. {I think I have you at a disadvantage, Major Navarre.} He turned the focus back at the Frenchmen. {The fame of the winery that your family owns... it precedes you... as do your exploits in Austria. At least I suspect you are THAT Etienne Navarre.} Aleksandr decided the look of surprise on the older man's face suited him. It took away the annoyed lines about his mouth and eyes.

Navarre found his throat dried out. He had to clear it before speaking. {I wasn't aware my career held any interest for the average English officer.}

The Russian paused thoughtfully. {A man can admire the tactics of an opponent while still holding his own opinion of the politics of the greater conflict. You were invaluable to your side in Austria. Your manoeuvres were so elegant... a minimal loss of life, on both sides, for a maximum gain. You seem to understand that you can't possess a thing if it's destroyed in the battle for ownership. That's something too many people fail to grasp.}

Etienne felt a flush of pleasure at the compliment that the foreign Colonel had not only noticed, but admired his choices. After constantly being sent out into the field with only common soldiers for company the attention of an attractive, intelligent, fellow officer cut him right to the quick. Colonel Alexander was easy on the eyes too, graceful and lean, with almost pretty... vaguely elfin features. Strangely enough the fact that he was run down and grubby about the edges only added to his charm, giving him a certain vulnerability.

Navarre practically tossed aside the bowl he held in his hurry to stand up. Letting his thoughts wander in that direction was just plain dangerous. {I'll see to Danton... get him moving.} The excuse was lame but Etienne needed distance right now. Besides which, a part of his mind that Navarre didn't dare let loose was wondering how far the Brit would strip down if offered the chance to clean up. "Excusez moi."

Only the presence of Sergeant Moncrieff stopped Aleksandr from laughing aloud. "It's my lucky month, right Mama?"

xx

La Princesa Guerrera VI

jimcarla@hotmail.com

August 1999
THE FULL DISCLAIMER LIST IS AT THE BEGINNING OF CHAPTER I. Please go and check out all the warnings if you're a sensitive reader
Ownership: The characters from Xena: Warrior Princess, the X-files and Sharpe are not ours. We're making no profit.
Violence, language and sexual content: a strong PG... this contains f/f, f/m, and m/m sexual relationships.
If any of this offends you, or if you are underage, or it's illegal where you live... please, stop reading now.
Notes: We now have a Beta reader (yay!). Thank you for your help, mouse. With you on board we can now blame someone else for our mistakes. "BG"
We're still looking for feedback. We will try to get the chapters out a little faster now that there are other places willing to post it. Let us know what you think of our story, please. Contact us at: Jimcarla@hotmail.com
Other websites—http://members.dencity.com/CarlaJane/homepage.html

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]