Go to notes and disclaimers


Resurrection and Redemption I
by Ann H


For the first time in months, I feel no pain. Of course, I am dead.

That's what the patrolman who found my body said. The coroner called to the site agreed.

When Scully identified my body, she cried. Even Skinner looked shaken as he led Scully out of the morgue.

I can't speak or move. I don't think I'm breathing. I'm deadalive. And I'm terribly afraid.

What happens when they perform the autopsy?

xx

I've broken into FBI installations dozens of times. Never to visit the morgue.

The last time I was in this room, I was Agent Krycek, boy fibbie. And I almost lost my lunch while both Mulder and Scully smiled.

Neither one is smiling now. Well, Mulder's not, I can tell.

He certainly looks dead. His skin is pale, his body cool to the touch. Eyes closed, no heartbeat, no breathing.

For the first time since Tunguska, and the second time in my adult life, I want to cry. But there's no time for tears. I have a job to do.

If the information provided by the rebels is correct, I have a life to save. Please, Mulder, be in there.

I need you. "Oh, Mulder..."

xx

Someone's here. My visitor is stealthy, moving in near silence. A hand cups my left cheek. I can't quite physically feel it, but my mind makes the leap. The joy from this simple human contact is overwhelming. Please, somehow, know that I'm here...

"Oh, Mulder..."

Alex Krycek.

There is sorrow, regret and longing in that voice. A dark, husky voice that has taunted me so often in my nightmares, more often in my fantasies.

Whenever I am with Alex, I feel completely alive. If my body would allow it, I would choke on the irony of my situation. I can go utterly mad now. The only thing keeping hysterics at bay is the heat in Alex's touch, his fingers gently skimming my cheek.

Then he says the words that drive away my despair. For the first time in forever, there is a connection, there is hope...

"Mulder, I hope you can hear me. It's me... Alex. I'm going to take you somewhere safe... they can bring you back, Mulder. You have to be strong, just a little longer. I swear, Mulder."

I believe.

xx

There's no way to know if my words were heard, but I feel better.

I quickly dress Mulder in the sweats I brought with me, then throw a sheet over his still form. Forty minutes later, I'm pulling out of Quantico, with Mulder in the trunk of my car. If... when he recovers, Mulder will hit me for that. When he recovers, I'll let him.

I've missed his sarcasm. His drive. The strength and warmth as he lands another blow. The intensity of passion shining in his brilliant eyes. The catch in his breath as I planted that all-too-honest kiss on his cheek...

I learned from most of my early mistakes. Hide in plain sight. Be near the action. Take chances. That last chance brought me a Tunisian vacation, but it eventually led to the smoking bastard's death. Now I'm going to take the greatest chance of all. I'm gonna tell Mulder everything. And I'm gonna make sure he survives it. No matter what.

xx

I never thought riding in a car trunk would be peaceful. The rhythm of the tires in endless motion is constant and soothing. So, of course, it must end. The car slows, pauses, then a turn. Finally, nothing. A car door opens, is quickly closed. Steps. Keys. The trunk is opened.

"Mulder, I'm taking you into a medical office located in DC. No tricks, no games. No doubt you're feeling scared and abused right about now. I know what it's like to be helpless, Mulder. All I can do is talk you through this. I'll explain everything that's being done as it happens, and why it's necessary. Afterwards... once you're back, we talk. About aliens, conspiracies and evil men. Finally, you take back your life."

It's funny, I really should be afraid, but I'm not. I'm happy in the knowledge that Alex is an inventive, cunning agent with a keen survival instinct. He has a plan, and while Alex Krycek and plans usually have an unnerving effect on me, this plan is to save me. I'll take whatever miracles I can get.

A comfortable warmth runs through my mind as Alex carefully lifts me from the trunk. I wish I could open my eyes and see him.

As we leave the garage and enter the building, my brain goes into overdrive. It really is a medical office; I assimilate voices, complaints of aches and pains and grumbles over extended waits for doctor visits. I only have a few moments to filter this information, as Alex swiftly moves down another corridor, all voices fade away as he continues on.

"Mulder, it's not safe to be around others. I'm taking you to see someone you consider a friend. He has a... a practice here, and I think he can help you."

Alex takes a left turn, slows, then gently places me on a bed. He leaves his hand on my shoulder. Again, without quite feeling, my brain registers this as reassurance.

"Mulder... the man that is with me in this room is Jeremiah Smith. I hope you remember him."

Remember him? There's nothing wrong with my mind, I quickly internally visualize images of my various meetings with Smith. Jeremiah Smith. Rebel. Healer.

Healer.

"Mulder, it is me... Jeremiah. I would have liked us to meet under better circumstances, but here we are. I will do what I can, Mulder. I hope my abilities, along with the medical information Mr. Krycek obtained from... various sources, lead to your complete recovery."

"What I intend to do is inject you with a small dose of nanocytes. This needs to be done to re-start those bodily functions in stasis. Once started, I start the healing process. Once you are safely healed, the last step is to deactivate the nanocytes."

I want to run so very badly, just run, on and on, no destination, no search, just away. The shapeshifters experimented on me, tortured me, then tossed me aside without a second glance. Just another specimen that didn't produce the desired results. I have no desire to be injected with alien technology, handled by alien hands, even ones that have helped me in the past. The panic is overwhelming, filling every brain cell, washing over any rational thought.

Then Alex kneels down, his face drawn close to my left ear.

"Mulder, it must feel cruel and completely overwhelming to you, but it has to be done. I promise, I'll be here the entire time. I'll talk to you and hold onto you, encourage and support you. And when it's over, you'll be well, you'll be able to kick my ass, then kick it some more."

With Alex's words, most of the panic retreats to the deeper recessions of my mind. At least I've regained some measure of control.

There's nothing I can do. It will happen, now. My only option is to concentrate on a positive outcome. On being able to breathe and feel, and see and touch. To be human, alive and whole. To live.

xx

Part II

Ann062863@aol.com

This part: PG-13?
Title: Resurrection and Redemption, Part One
Author: Ann H
Written: January 21-23, 2001
Summary: First part of a series. Originally intended as a response to the December 2000 bodyguard challenge, then the story took on a life of it's own.
Note 1: Canon up to current day (insert season eight joke here). Read some of the spoilers floating around (WARNING!), a few of which I use on my way to AU-land.
Note 2: Since this does go AU, I should warn you I'm not good with science and medical terminology, and I really don't know how the nanocyte buggers are supposed to work, so a little suspension of belief would be in order.
Note 3: Not yet, but eventually... Doggett warning, disappearing/reappearing accent and all. Kersh warning. And, yes, CSM is dead. In my world, lethal quadruple-agents double-check their work.
Note 4: Kinda-sorta character death. Yes-it's-true character death (trust me, you'll like it). The boys get a happy ending; I may be sick and twisted, but I have a soul.
Mood Music: 'Music for the Masses: A Tribute to Depeche Mode', various artists
Disclaimers: XF characters not mine, his. All of them.
Yes, feedback is good. Ann062863@aol.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]