Go to notes and disclaimers


Falling
by Ann H


' Hanging by threads of pale silver
I could have stayed that way forever
Bad blood and ghosts wrapped tight around me
Nothing could ever seem to touch me'

Everything I do these days is from force of habit.

Breathing. Sleeping. Lying. Surviving. What the hell for ?

When I sent that cancer-ridden monster hurtling down that stairwell months ago, I finally achieved complete control of my life. After twenty-four years of misery, I was free .

I never did experience the heady rush of gleeful satisfaction I expected in seeing Spender's broken, lifeless body. How could I be happy? Mulder was gone.

Now he's dead.

'I lose what I love most Did you know I was lost until you found me?'

Before I met Fox Mulder, I only had two goals in life: kill Spender and survive the Consortium's various plans for alien colonization.

After one day in Mulder's life, which included the joys of being ditched like a bad date and almost losing my lunch over Scully's autopsy table, I revised my goals: kill Spender, survive the Consortium's various plans for alien colonization, and fuck that sarcastic fibbie into unconsciousness.

Then all my senses betrayed me, and I shot an unarmed man to protect Mulder. I though my life was over; the FBI would fire me, I would be useless to the Consortium, and a useless tool is a dead tool. All until Mulder, in that unique monotone delivery of his, gave me back my life.

"You did the right thing, Alex."

After that, my immediate plans changed, and I took action. Didn't deliver Mulder to the aliens atop Skyland Mountain. Didn't kill William Mulder or Melissa Scully. Ran like hell with that DAT tape.

Over the following crazy years I was on top of the game, then kicked back to the gutter. The highs were spectacular: manipulating Mulder so he was inoculated against the black oil; obtaining the Russian vaccine; turning Jeff Spender against his malevolent father; maneuvering most of the Consortium into attending a resistance barbeque. Best of all? Meeting with Mulder, telling him (for once) the entire truth, and sealing it with a kiss. I no longer just wanted to fuck him into unconsciousness (well, part of me did); I wanted a future, a life that included Mulder. I wanted it all.

The highs were sweet; the depths an unrelenting horror. Terrified throughout possession by the black oil; delirious during my enforced stay within that silo; scarred forever, physically and mentally, by a searing hot blade and the weight of a dozen Russian peasants as they took my arm...

Nothing could be worse than losing my arm, except this...losing Mulder. I finally killed that evil Morley-smoking bastard; the Consortium is badly broken, if not completely gone; but I'll never accomplish my final, most important goal. Mulder's going to haunt me the rest of my life.

'Stroke of luck or a gift from God? The hand of fate or devil's claws? From below or saints above You came to me Here comes the cold again I feel it closing in It's falling down and All around me, falling'

All that's left to do is make sure the Consortium is truly gone, and to continue my work with the alien rebels. Make sure colonization never takes place, that humanity is safe.

Once that's done, I can end it all. Surrender to the chill that surrounds me. The chime from my computer rouses me from these grim thoughts. Another message from the rebels working within the FBI.

Mulder exhumed last night. Taken to nearest hospital. What we feared has begun.

For the first time in seven months, Alex Krycek smiled.

xx

I'm here, but they don't see me.

Or should I say, they see my body, battered and torn, breathing only due to machines. I can't move, can't speak, can't do anything except think.

Right now, I don't want to think: I don't want to think about the horrifying, painful experiments aboard the alien ship; and I certainly don't want to think about my burial and three-month entombment.

I swear, I'll never taunt Alex about silos and claustrophobia again.

Alex Krycek is another subject I shouldn't be thinking about. But my rebellious nature overrules my logic, as it always does regarding him. I can't help but think...what if Alex was here?

Scully, bless her, is my rock. Patient, tender, determined to cure me with her medicine and her science. She says very little, but her voice tells me everything: she's suffered trying to maintain the x-files, hiding her emotions behind stoicism and strength.

Scully has gone through so much aiding me on a quest entirely mine. It's time she put herself, her life first. I never thought about how lonely she was until she started those failed in vitro treatments. I need to tell her how much I love her for her friendship, her loyalty even when she couldn't, wouldn't believe. Thank her, and ask her to move on.

I hope I get that chance. But I don't think any conventional medical treatment can save me from what the shapeshifters did to me.

I'm going to need a miracle. And the only chance of that comes from one man. The only man I know who is willing to take those leaps of faith beyond the known truth, the man that will do anything, everything to get what he wants, and to survive. The man who waylaid me in my darkened apartment, renewed my purpose, kissed me, and called me friend: Alex Krycek.

'You say that you'll be there to catch me Or will you only try to trap me? These are the rules I make Our chains were meant to break You'll never change me'

I desperately hope Krycek's still alive, smirking, stirring up trouble, trying to get one up on everyone. And I can only wonder if he still thinks of me as "tovarish."

After all, I nearly attacked him, more than once, during that fateful gathering last May. Then Skinner and I went to Oregon ahead of plan, leaving Krycek behind. It would have hurt too much to trust him again, then...I just couldn't.

I've had a lot of time alone in my head since then. Being "dead" has forced me to re-examine every conviction, every choice...every regret. Should I get another chance, I will find you, Alex. One way or another, we will face our demons.

'Here comes the cold again I feel it closing in You're falling down and All around me, falling Stroke of luck or a gift from God? Hand of fate or devil's claws? From below or saints above You come to me now'

Find me, Alex...

xx

Mulder is deathly still in his darkened hospital room. Only the beeps and blips of the surrounding machinery indicate the slightest signs of life.

I want to cradle him gently against me. I want to shake him awake. I want to cry.

Instead, I pull myself together. I will only have a few precious moments alone with him before rat bastard Alex Krycek has to control events again.

"Mulder, I don't know if you can hear me. If what the rebels told me is true, you can. I'm injecting you now with a vaccine that will prevent you from becoming the breeding ground for an alien hybrid. It should only be an hour before you feel the effects; even faster if I can convince Skinner to turn off this damn life-support machinery."

Once the injection was complete, Krycek stored the needle and empty vaccine bottle in his jacket.

"I tried meeting with Skinner earlier, wanted to see if I could do this by telling him the truth...of course, he wouldn't believe me. Didn't expect him to; I'm sure you wouldn't have either. Lucky for you, I have other methods. Showtime, Mulder: Skinner's coming down the hall; time to go to work."

Soft sigh, then a tentative hand reached over to Mulder's head, gently brushing through the soft strands of hair.

"What you hear next, I hope you'll understand. I truly wish someday you and I could meet without any anger. I don't want us to hurt anymore, Mulder..."

Krycek stepped back into the shadows, awaiting Skinner's entrance. He whispered, barely audible over the droning machinery, "...But I'll settle for you being alive."

xx

'Don't ask me why Don't even try'

I used to keep a mental list of the people I most wanted to beat to a pulp. During the day, it was Cancer Man. At night, it was Krycek. Now, neither man makes it into the top five. Well, Spender's off the list because he's dead; and Krycek's off the list because I'm alive and well...almost. And the "almost" part isn't his fault.

I have so much anger welling up within, and no convenient target at hand to take it out on.

So. The top five? Let's start with the bottom-feeder: Kersh.

That cold-hearted, rigid government toady got promoted to Deputy Director. The bastard won't clear me to return to the FBI. And he will never give me back my x-files. I'm surprised the division remains open; hell, I'm surprised he hasn't billed me for my funeral expenses.

The x-files may remain open, but he's doing his damnedest to close them. He's chosen the perfect method to do so: John Doggett.

Doggett. What a putz. At least when Scully disagrees with me, she has some factual, scientific theorem to base her arguments on. Doggett can't see past his cop mentality; he lacks any sense of imagination or exploration. I've been accused many times of being demanding and aggressive, and I am, yet from what I've seen, Doggett is worse. Yet Scully defends him and Skinner approves of him.

Skinner. He's been my boss for over seven years, and he's known John Doggett for less than one, yet I suspect Skinner feels more comfortable with him and his methods than he ever has with me. I suspect I am most angry with Skinner because of his apathy: he knows I belong on the x-files, but he won't fight for me. He'll argue on my behalf, then drop the issue when told to by Kersh. Most would consider that practical; I consider it cowardice. I know I'm being unfair: it's not right to ask someone to risk their job, the career they've invested their life in, on my behalf. But, dammit, it's not just my life, anymore, it's everyone's , and they all refuse to see it!

Even Scully.

With Scully, any anger is ever entwined with my guilt. How can I be angry with the woman who searched for me, cried for me, and kept the x-files going through sheer force of will? Truth is, I'm not angry with her; I'm angry with myself, and my current situation. They've taken away the x-files, and I have to find another way to prevent the coming invasion. And I will use any method, any ally, any advantage to stop them...my biggest anger; my most potent fear.

Aliens.

The nightmare has already started, and here I lie, on my beloved couch, crunching sunflower seeds, thinking, ever thinking, and waiting.

I know he's coming; it's just a matter of time.

"Resist or serve," he once said. "Go the way of the dinosaur."

Never .

I can't help the grin that spreads across my face as I hear the soft clicks of the lockpick at my apartment door. Things are looking up...

xx

I know Mulder's an insomniac, but I still expected him to be asleep as I enter his darkened apartment. The man's been though hell; he needs to recover.

Instead, he lifts his head from the comfortable leather couch and...is that a smile ?

Goddamn it, what have they done to him now ?

"I've been expecting you, Alex."

Great. Now what do I say? He always throws me off-balance. I'll never figure him out.

"We have to stop them, Alex."

" We ? Alex ?"

Mulder rises from his couch, walks slowly towards me. Stops two feet away. His eyes are alight with a bright fever, and his smile never fades. I'm still waiting for the punch.

Instead, he brings his right hand to my hair, slowly stroking through the short strands. Exactly the way I touched him at the hospital. This is more threatening than any silo, far more dangerous than a Tunguskan forest, and I'm frozen to the spot. Mulder makes his move...

'Stroke of luck, or a gift from God?
The hand of fate or devil's claws?
From below or saints above
You came to me
Here comes the cold again
I feel it closing in
It's falling down and
All around me, falling'

And I'm falling, but it's not cold, oh, no, never cold in Mulder's arms. He holds me, gently, but sure, and his warmth, our warmth cuts through the past and our pain.

We stand there, locked together, stronger together than we've ever been alone. I lean into the soft breath as he whispers in my ear.

"We can do this, Alex."

I know he's talking about more than an alien invasion. And he's right .

"Yes, Mulder, we can. And we will. "

xx


Title: Falling
Author: Ann H
Date: April 12, 2000
Rating: PG-13, mainly due to language.
Warning: Combination Song!Fic and DeadAlive!Fic...you have been warned. Light Doggett-bashing.
Spoilers: Definitely DeadAlive and vaguely for Three Words (which I thought were "what was that ?) Oh, and let's just throw in all previous Krycek eps, just for background.
Note: Lyrics are from "Stroke of Luck" by Garbage, best band of the nineties. All words enclosed with ' ' are lyrics. Used without permission. XF characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox, also used without permission. Sensing a trend, here? This is a fanfic, a labor of love (unlike the upcoming season finale, I'm sure!), and no money is being made from this.
Feedback: Please. Tell me the truth. I can take it.
Archiving: Ask, and ye shall receive.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]