Go to notes and disclaimers


Permanent Midnight IX

Apparitions
by Amy B


Drained and blue
I bleed for you
You think it's funny
Well, you're drowning in it too
—"No Excuses", Alice in Chains

Alex woke up to a faint scraping noise coming from somewhere overhead. He stared up at the ceiling and suddenly he could hear a conversation from upstairs almost as clear as if it was taking place in the same room. A man was complaining about the idiot clerk down at the hardware store and how bad traffic had been on the drive home. A woman gave sympathetic responses and made kitchen noises—doors and drawers opening and closing, water running, pans and dishes rattling—noises Alex shouldn't be able to hear. As he shook his head and sat up, the sounds faded away back out of his range and all he could hear was Trevor snoring lightly beside him.

Alex looked down at the vampire with some amusement, and then got up and went into the bathroom. He glanced at himself in the mirror and was surprised to find that he looked pretty much the same as always. The fact that he still had a reflection didn't strike him as odd until he was standing in the square glass shower with hot water cascading over his head. So he had to admit that he didn't know everything there was to know about vampires, but he still knew plenty, like what the hunger felt like.

He was feeling it right now, an aching emptiness in his stomach and a fiery dryness in the back of his throat that no amount of water seemed to satisfy. The fangs growing in his mouth cut his tongue and lips, and the drops of blood from the tiny wounds didn't soothe his thirst so much as make it more specific. He didn't want 'anything that would stop the pain' anymore. He wanted blood, warm and savory and in great quantities.

Finishing up his shower, he dried off, wrapped his towel around his waist, and went into the other room. He strapped his arm on and then put on his clothes, vaguely wishing he had some fresh ones. He'd been in situations where he'd worn the same clothes for much longer than two days before so it was not exactly a big deal, just a mild comfort issue. As he was putting his knives back in their proper places, Trevor got out of bed with a luxurious stretch and a jaw-cracking yawn.

"Going somewhere, my pet?"

"I'm hungry," Alex said with rather significant understatement, glancing at the clock that read six-thirty.

"Let me get dressed and we'll go out for a bite." Trevor smiled, presumably at his own perceived cleverness and disappeared into the bathroom.

Alex was towel-drying his hair and trying to focus his hearing on different parts of the house, when the doorknob rattled as if someone had tried to open it and found it locked. A few seconds and a couple of clicks later, the door swung open and Joe walked in, bare-chested and carrying an undetermined piece of clothing in his hand.

He seemed unconcerned to find Alex standing there with a knife in his hand, just nodded a greeting and went to Trevor's closet. He rummaged around briefly, finally taking out a black t-shirt and putting it on. Trevor walked in as Joe was pulling a ragged black sweater over his head, and said, "Is that my Jim Rose T-shirt?"

Joe stuck his head through the collar of his sweater and sneered. "Like I'd steal clothes from your skinny ass."

"You would. You have no respect for other people's property."

"I left him alone, didn't I?" Joe tilted his head toward Alex, who bristled at the implication that he was a thing to be taken or not. He started to say something, but held his tongue, deciding it would be better to wait until Joe actually made a move before proving that no one did anything to Alex Krycek without his permission. He rubbed his hand over his prosthetic arm and thought fiercely that never again would he be at somebody else's mercy.

Trevor let that challenge lie, and changed the subject as he pulled his own clothes on. "I thought I'd introduce Alex to the butcher shop tonight. Would you like to join us?"

"I prefer mine on the hoof," said Joe with an unlikely wink in Alex's direction. "But yeah, sure, I'll go."

Alex remained silent while Joe and Trevor continued to talk and get ready to go out. He could have contributed to the conversation, at least enough to remind Joe that he did in fact have a name, but the hunger was starting to consume more and more of his attention. He found himself staring at Joe's neck as the other man fiddled with one of his earrings and remembering how the skin had given way as his brand new fangs had punctured it. How the blood had erupted gently onto his tongue and slid so satisfyingly down his throat.

Swallowing as his mouth started to water, Alex pulled his gaze away from Joe's neck only for it to snag on one of Trevor's pale wrists as he reached for his coat. Fragile bones, blue-green veins just under the surface of fine pale skin, just the slightest prick of his teeth and he'd have a mouthful of that warm blood that he could see pulsing, pulsing, racing through those tiny—delectable—veins. Almost entranced by the promise of nourishment, he reached out for it, but a big hand caught his in a strong grip.

"Not just yet, junior." Joe shook his head and then looked over at Trevor and said, "We better get going before he gnaws somebody's arm off."

Trevor's smile had an edge of compassion as he nodded. "Yes, I'm sorry, pet. I should have known you'd be very hungry by now. Let's get moving."

As he followed Trevor and Joe out into the hallway, Alex felt compelled to mention, "There are people in the house upstairs. I heard them. Do they know about us?"

"They're my caretakers. They pay the bills, keep up the repairs, and attend all those bothersome daytime details," said Trevor, locking the door behind them.

"So if they're your servants, why are you the one living in a room in the basement?"

"I'm not actually here that often. Joe and a few other friends also use the rooms when they're in town. The Marshalls run daytime errands, do laundry, et cetera, in exchange for free housing, a monthly check, and being assured that none of the guests will try to drain them." Trevor locked the outside door behind them and smiled at Alex. "Maybe I'll give you a key before you leave."

"I wouldn't need one if I really wanted in."

"Yes. Well, consider it a courtesy, or just an intelligent choice not to piss off someone who can rip your throat out." Trevor smiled sweetly and lengthened his stride to catch up with Joe, who was already standing on the sidewalk lighting a cigarette.

Turning the threat over in his mind, Alex caught up with the other two men, who had started walking down the snow-covered sidewalk at a quick pace. After about a mile, they found a cab to take them to a different part of town, less middle-class residential and more lower-class desperate. The cab let them out at a corner, and Joe took the lead, striding down the street with a predatory grace that Alex almost admired.

Trevor and Alex followed him into an abandoned building, their eyes adjusting to the darkness until Alex was surprised at how clearly he could see. He could also smell quite clearly and that was not such a blessing since the building had obviously been used as a squat for a very long time. He found that if he concentrated on something else— the hunger burning in his throat, the sight of Joe's solid bulk in front of him, the feel of Trevor next to him—the stench faded to a more normal human range.

Joe walked up to a skinny kid of indeterminate sex and leaned close, running his fingers down its arms and whispering into its ear. By the time Alex focused his hearing, Joe had already stopped talking and started sucking.

The wet, slurpy sound of blood being sucked and swallowed by someone else while he was almost starving to death goaded Alex into action. He stalked over to Joe, intent on taking the kid away, but a noise drew his attention to the other side of the room. Another kid, more obviously male, was trying to edge his way to the door, but he froze when he locked eyes with Alex. Alex walked over and took the boy's face in his hands. Wide eyes stared up at him, and Alex caught an apology trying to slip past his own lips before he lowered his head and sank his teeth into the kid's neck. The rush of blood was like ambrosia and orgasm and everything good that had ever happened to him in his life. He sucked and swallowed and ignored the little flashes he got of the kid's pitiful life. Abuse and poverty, fear and anger, hustling and stealing to survive... he could have guessed all that just from seeing the kid in his present habitat.

Alex tried to shake off the hand that clamped down on his shoulder, but the fingers dug in and Trevor's voice broke into his consciousness. "That's enough, Alex. You don't have to kill him."

Alex licked the wound without having to be told and withdrew, letting the boy slump down against the wall with a blissful smile on his face and wet spot on the front of his pants. Trevor leaned down and pressed two fingers to the boy's neck. After a moment, he straightened and said, "I think you stopped just in time, my pet."

Alex nodded and licked at a sticky spot beside his mouth. His teeth were going back to normal, the hunger was finally sated, and he felt normal for the first time since his change. He turned and found Joe smoking a cigarette and looking rather fondly down at his own victim. Joe grinned when he noticed Alex watching him. "I like the junkies who've just scored best. You get that second-hand high. Nice, eh?"

Alex shrugged and did a quick inventory of his senses. If the kid he'd drunk from had been on anything, Alex wasn't feeling any residual effects so far. He did notice that Joe was checking him out, but he didn't say anything as Trevor appeared beside them. "If we're through here..."

"Yeah, yeah." Joe dropped his cigarette on the floor and ground his boot heel into it. He slapped Alex lightly on the back as they walked out. "It just gets better and better, don't it?"

Alex gave Joe a sideways glance, noticing the substantial bulge of his erection behind the fly of his jeans. He couldn't help but wonder how the other man would be. Alex instinctively knew that the only way he'd want to fuck with Joe was with his newfound power behind it. And powerful was exactly how he felt right now. Strong, fast, like he could do anything at all.

Like he could make some people pay for the things they've done to him. Not those ignorant Russian peasants, oh no, the ones right here at home. The smoking bastard, some of those left over old fucks in New York...Mulder. Or maybe not Mulder. When it came right down to it, just what had Mulder ever done to him? Beat him up a little? Nothing that Alex hadn't allowed or deserved in some way or another. It was all give and take with him. That double-dealing Morley-smoking son of a bitch was another story altogether.

Only vaguely aware that they'd been walking, Alex was jarred out of his musings when Trevor stopped and knocked on a door. He looked around and noticed they were in an alley behind a row of old buildings, and the door was the exact same color as the fading bricks. Vampires must all be masters of camouflage and wouldn't he fit right in with them? After all, that was what he was all about, blending, fading, hiding in plain sight.

Joe was giving him that lustful scrutiny again, as if he was not only mentally undressing Alex but judging his performance too. From the gleam in Joe's eyes, Alex guessed that he must have passed whatever test he'd just been given.

Just as a small panel opened in the door, Trevor glanced over his shoulder and said, "For pity's sake, Joe, could you stick to just taking my clothes?"

"It's a free fucking country." Joe showed his teeth, but Alex wouldn't have called the expression a smile.

"I'll do whatever or whoever I want, whenever I want. Both of you can stop treating me like an object," Alex said with an air of boredom, baring his own teeth in challenge.

He was gratified to see Trevor take a small step back before he raised his eyebrows and nodded. "Yes. Well." He turned to the door. "Well, Roland, now that we've entertained you, how about letting us in for a drink?"

A deep rumbling laugh met the men as the door opened wide. A large man clapped Trevor on the shoulder as he stepped through the door. "You always pick the lively ones, brother."

"Roland, this is Alex. I'm sure he'll make an excellent customer, but be careful patting him down. The boy likes his sharp things." Trevor turned to Alex as he stepped into the entranceway and suggested he hand over his weapons before Roland searched him. "Otherwise, you can't come any further."

After a moment of considering to refuse, Alex laid his gun and a knife on a small table next to the door. Trevor cast a significant glance at his feet and Alex reluctantly handed over the knife in his boot, too. Roland nodded with approval and then proceeded to pat him down anyway. "Sorry, but I can't trust you yet. I'm sure you understand. Have fun, boys. And Joe, don't flirt with my wife. You're not her type."

"That's not what she says." Joe winked and sauntered down the stairs like he owned the place. Hell, maybe he did.

Alex followed Trevor down the stairs and through another door into what looked like a small liquor store. Only most of the stock was refrigerated and red. Alex stared at the cases in confusion. "Why would you pay good money for some cold crap in a bottle when you can get it fresh anytime you want? This whole city is a buffet full of tasty little dishes walking around, ours for the taking."

"Some have moral qualms about feeding from humans, and some like the convenience of eating at home." Trevor shrugged. "It's just an option, and now that you know about it, we can go have that drink."

Alex nodded to the man behind the counter who hadn't said a word and followed Trevor across the hall and into a bar. This one was nice, but not done up in the vampire trappings of Clea's place. It looked like a bar you'd find in a hotel or in a quiet neighborhood where most of the clientele are regulars. Soft rock music played on the old-fashioned jukebox at a lower volume than in most bars, and the room was over half full.

Joe stood at the end of the bar sipping from a glass of whiskey and saying something that made the red-haired bartender laugh before she moved away to take an order from a waitress. Alex joined him and ordered a vodka as soon as the bartender came back.

"Sure thing, honey." She looked over his shoulder and her smile widened into a delighted grin. "Trevor, when did you hit town?"

"Scottie, my darling, I couldn't go another day without seeing your sweet face." Trevor grabbed her hand and placed a smacking kiss on the back.

Scottie rolled her eyes and took her hand back. "Yeah, right. Did you get bored with this old punk—" she tilted her head toward Joe "—and make yourself a new running buddy?"

"Hey, bite your tongue—or I can do it for you," said Joe, emptying his glass and sliding it toward her for a refill. Alex had trouble believing that anyone could be bored with Joe around.

"And there you have it." Trevor laughed and ran his hand down Alex's fake arm. "Alex has his own charms."

Scottie gave Alex a look that he often got from women and sighed. "Yeah, I can just imagine."

"Can I get a shot of A Neg when you stop drooling over my pet?

"Don't underestimate me, Trevor. I can do both." She winked at Alex and then moved away to fill their orders.

"I take it that was Roland's wife that Joe's not supposed to flirt with?" Alex asked with an arched brow.

Trevor nodded and seemed about to speak until he got distracted. He stared at a couple in one of the booths along the wall and smiled. He took the glass that Scottie set in front of him and said, "You boys behave. I need to go to talk to a man about some business. I've been trying to sell old Harry a property in the south of France for ages, and maybe tonight we can come to a mutually satisfying agreement."

Alex watched Trevor walk over and take a seat in the booth with a well-dressed man and woman who looked more suited to Wall Street or Lakeshore Drive than an underground vampire bar. He turned back to Joe. "So Trevor owns property. What do you do for a living?"

"Living. That's a good one," said Joe with a snort. He took a long drink from his glass and lit a cigarette. "I get by." He blew out a cloud of smoke and said off handedly, "I used to have a band."

"Yeah? Before?" Alex looked at Joe's face closely to see if maybe he recognized him, but he got distracted when his gaze slipped down to Joe's neck. That spot right there, just above the black cord of his necklace was the place where Alex sank his fangs in and drank his fill. If not as much as he'd wanted, at least he got enough to calm the hunger for a few hours.

"Yeah. Before." Joe took a long drag off his cigarette and shot Alex a look from the corner of his eye. "Stop staring at my neck...unless you want me to fuck you."

Alex took a sip of his drink and tried to think of something to talk about that didn't involve fucking or drinking blood. Strange how those two urges seemed to be taking up so much space in his mind at the moment. Usually he had so many more important things going on that sex had been an afterthought, but now... "Maybe I want to fuck you instead."

"Ha. I don't fucking think so." Joe crushed out his cigarette and then looked up, all the amusement draining out of his face as his gaze locked on something over Alex's shoulder. "Billy." The word slipped out so softly that Alex doubted Joe knew he'd spoken it.

Alex glanced around, but didn't notice anyone staring back at Joe or paying either of them the slightest bit of attention at all. There was something familiar about the blond man who had just walked up to the middle of the bar. Angular features, rangy build, thick, spiky hair—where had he...? Of course. Alex had seen him from a much greater distance before. He was Trevor's cop. What did he call him? Ray? Yeah, Ray. He turned back to say something about it to Joe, but noticed that it was Ray that the other man was staring at so intently.

"Billy." Joe whispered again, his eyes narrowing as if a sudden pain struck him.

"Trevor said his name was Ray. You know that guy from somewhere?"

Joe shook his head and stared at Alex as if just noticing his presence. "What?"

"I said, Trevor showed me that guy last night and called him 'Ray'."

"Ray? Huh." Joe looked at the man sipping a glass of blood and shook his head again. "Looks like Billy to me."

"Who the hell is Billy?" Alex asked, exasperated with this whole bizarre conversation.

"None of your fucking business, junior." Joe dug around in his pocket and then tossed some crumpled bills on the bar. He grabbed Alex by the lapel of his coat and pulled him into his personal space. He smelled like whiskey, blood, and something dark and hot that tightened Alex's gut. "We're gettin' outta here. Let Trevor catch up when he's done with his business."

Alex licked his lips and ignored the tug on his libido long enough to protest. "Stop calling me that. My name is Alex."

"I'm so fucking sorry, Alex." Joe spoke with exaggerated mocking politeness, even as he slipped one thigh between Alex's legs, rubbing against Alex's sudden erection. "Please, Alex...unless you wanna give everyone a really exciting floor show?"

Alex blinked and stepped back, shaking Joe's hand loose. "I don't have to do anything you say."

"No." Joe cast a significant glance at his crotch, and lifted Alex's upper lip. Before Alex had a chance to smack his hand away, he dropped it again. "Now you've bared your fangs and growled at me. Feel better?" He tilted his head toward the door. "You know you want to..."

This time, Alex led the way out into the hall and up the stairs. By the time they got to the top, Roland had his weapons already out and Alex put them away efficiently, nodding at Roland's amiable good night.

Once out in the cold night air, Joe stuck his hand in the waistband of Alex's pants and pulled him down the alley and into the deeper shadows next to a dumpster. For just a moment, Alex's new more acute senses rebelled and sent the vodka rolling in his stomach. He held his breath until he felt like he had it under control, but by then Joe had him pressed up against the wall with one arm braced on the bricks next to his head and the stench of garbage was the last thing on his mind.

"I don't kiss," Joe said against Alex's cheek as his free hand worked its way into his pants. Then he took Alex's mouth in a deep kiss that seared his nerve endings and made him squirm against Joe's body.

When Joe released Alex's mouth long enough to take a breath, the sensual fog in Alex's head cleared enough for him to say, "You kissed me before. And you kissed Trevor."

"Yeah, but I didn't fucking like it." Joe licked Alex's lips and then nipped at his chin, his hand busy on Alex's cock.

Alex shifted his hips, pressing deeper into Joe's grasp as he worked his good hand between them. "Liar."

"Shut the fuck up." Joe reached down and put Alex's hand on the fly of his jeans, and then took his mouth in another deep kiss, cutting off Alex's low laugh with his tongue. Alex took that advice to heart and concentrated all his attention on trying to get inside Joe's jeans and then...he was in, wrapping his hand around a thick, hard erection. He squeezed hard enough to make Joe rise up on his toes, but then he pushed Alex against the wall and started stroking Alex's cock fast and rough.

Alex tilted his head back and Joe immediately took the hint, biting into his jugular with a little growling noise that quickly became a wet slurping. The sharp pain muted and transformed into a rush of pleasure that ran from Alex's neck to his cock like an electrical charge, setting him off in convulsive orgasm. A moment later, Joe's dick swelled and stiffened in his grip, spitting warm come into the fingers he cupped around the head as Joe withdrew his fangs and licked the wound until it closed.

Pulling his fingers out of Alex's pants, Joe stuck them in his mouth and sucked them clean, holding Alex's gaze the whole time. Alex pulled his hand free and started to do the same, but Joe grabbed it and took Alex's fingers into his own mouth, running his soft, wet tongue over the tips and down into the sensitive crevices between, sucking up every trace of come.

Alex's teeth were at full fang and he was panting from the effects of his orgasm and the need to bite. He wanted another taste of Joe's blood so bad and he was going to get it just as soon as Joe let go of his fingers.

xx

The slam of a door was like a shotgun blast in the charged silence between the two men. Joe stepped back and spun around ready for a fight before he realized it was only someone leaving the butcher shop. He peered around the edge of the dumpster and saw Billy walking down the alley toward them holding a paper sack. Joe stiffened and felt like he'd been kicked in the balls.

As Billy drew even with their position, Joe stepped out of the shadows and spoke in a low voice. "Billy."

Billy stopped and looked at Joe in surprise. "Excuse me?"

"Where the fuck have you been, Billy?" Joe asked, his voice as rough as sandpaper in his throat.

"My name's not Billy. It's Ray." Billy spoke slowly and politely, fucking with Joe's head again. "Am I supposed to know you or something?"

Joe squinted at him and walked closer. Billy looked just the same. His voice sounded a little different, maybe because he quit smoking and screaming so much. Didn't matter. He was back.

"What are you doing?" Taking a step back that was probably instinctive, Billy shot a confused look over Joe's shoulder, but Joe couldn't be bothered to see if he was looking at Alex or something else. "What's he talking about?"

"I have no—" Alex tried to answer, but was interrupted by a low growl and a voice calling Ray's name from somewhere behind them. Joe turned to see a Mountie and a large white dog that looked like a wolf advancing cautiously. The dog was crawling on its belly but still growling, as if submission was not its own idea.

"Stay the fuck away." Joe snarled at both men and the animal. All three froze right where they were.

"It's okay, Fraser. We got a case of mistaken identity is all." Billy gave Joe a cautious look and started to walk around him, but there was no fucking way he'd let Billy go. He grabbed him before Billy could get away...again.

"The fuck it is, Billy," Joe snapped, jerking Billy closer to him. Billy was harder than he remembered, but he still felt like Billy and smelled like Billy and Joe would be damned if he'd let him go again.

As Billy struggled against him, Joe closed his eyes and just absorbed the familiar feeling. He could hear the Mountie coming closer and speaking. Alex talked back to him, but what they said was inconsequential because he finally had Billy back. He kept struggling, so Joe turned him loose and took the sack from his hand.

"For the last time, my name is not Billy," the man was sounding agitated but he didn't fight anymore. Billy knew how far to push and when to give in.

Joe set the sack down on the ground, straightened to his full height and advanced on Billy again knowing that when it came right down to basics, Billy wouldn't deny him.

His eyes widened as Joe shoved him against a wall, sinking his teeth into Billy's neck as his arms wrapped around him tightly. The images that flowed into Joe's mind as the blood flowed down his throat were completely unfamiliar to him. He saw this man graduating from a police academy and getting married to some blonde woman. What the fuck? Joe saw Trevor turning him, saw him fucking Trevor and then he was fucking another dark haired man that was not Joe. It was that Mountie and he was saying "Ray" over and over again.

A hand grabbed the back of his head and jerked a handful of hair viciously until Joe ripped his fangs free and stumbled back.

"Ray!" The Mountie's cry barely registered over the harsh sound of his own breathing.

Ignoring the blood dripping from the side of his mouth, Joe shuddered. He was pissed off all over again at his loss. The fucking nerve of that guy looking like Billy—his Billy. "Who the fuck are you?"

"Well, I'm not Billy, ya freak. That's what I tried to tell you," Ray yelled back, clamping his hand over the still bleeding holes in his throat. "If I bleed out, I'm gonna come back and kick your ass."

"Ray?" Fraser asked, a frantic edge in his voice. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, Frase." Ray dragged his eyes away from Joe long enough to smile weakly at Fraser. "Just calm Dief down before he has a doggie coronary or something."

While Fraser crouched down and tried to soothe his dog, Alex moved over beside Joe and asked, "You all right now? What the hell was that about?"

After a long silent moment, Joe walked away, making a wide circle around the man he'd just accosted. He clenched his jaw to keep from screaming as Alex caught up with him. Joe glanced at him coldly and said, "Ghosts."

Alex nodded. "Yeah, I've got a few of those."

"No." Alex couldn't possibly know. Joe spat on the ground and rubbed at the blood on his face. The little fucker was supposed to come back. It was just supposed to be a little break. Billy'd go off and have his little tantrum in Califuckinfornia, and then he'd come back and he and Joe would be good again.

Billy didn't come back. Driving under the influence. That's what they called it. Why didn't they just tell the fucking truth? 'Your buddy cracked his car up 'cause he was too fuckin' drunk to drive.' Never gonna see that on an accident report. Without breaking stride, Joe dug around in his coat pocket until he pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a silver Zippo lighter. He flicked open the lighter, struck the flame, and stared at it for a second inside the protective cup of his hand before lighting a smoke. He tried not to see any comparisons when he clicked the lighter shut and the flame went out.

He looked at Alex for the first time. "Now you know." He could see in the other man's face that he had no clue what Joe was talking about, but he continued as if he did. "I drink and fuck around and feed off junkies and try like hell to forget. That's what I do. Until I get up the fucking guts to walk out into the sunlight."

They walked for a few minutes before Alex broke the silence. "Well, why don't you then?"

Joe laughed bitterly, hating to admit the truth, but not enough to think up a lie. "Fucking hate fire. I don't wanna burn. A nice clean bullet. That's the way I'd wanna go out. But it's too late for that, eh?"

"There's always the stake." As they approached an intersection, Alex glanced up at the signs and took a right turn onto another street. "A stake's just as efficient as a bullet."

"I know." Joe said, reaching into another pocket and finding the sharp piece of wood he'd been carrying around for the last six months. He'd spent hours whittling it until it was just right, and now he just waited for the right time to use it. The right time to put himself out of his fucking misery. He pulled it out far enough for Alex to see and then returned it.

"If you need help..."

"Don't be so fuckin' eager, jun- Alex. Maybe I need to think about it first." He looked over at Alex and felt his mood lighten a bit. Anticipation pushed out all the depressing shit. "Maybe I have a couple things left to do first. I still haven't fucked you yet."

Alex grinned and shook his head. "That bit in the alley wasn't enough for you?"

"Fuck no," Joe scoffed. "That was nowhere close to a real fuck."

"I agree, but for a different reason." Alex didn't explain and Joe didn't ask him to. They just kept walking, while Alex checked street signs for their next turn.

After a several blocks and a couple more cigarettes, Joe finally asked where they were going, although the destination didn't make much difference to him. He could fuck Alex just about anywhere, but hearing that they were headed for Alex's hotel did make him pick up the pace a bit.

As they walked along, something occurred to Joe. Maybe he'd picked it up when drinking Alex's blood or just from Alex's manner, but he knew for certain. "You asked for it."

Alex glanced at him and seemed to know what he meant. "I did, and I don't regret it. What about you? Did you ask for it?"

Joe didn't answer until they were almost to the doors of the hotel, and then it was with great reluctance. "Yeah, but... not exactly like this."

xx

"You mean you wanted Billy...?" Alex gasped a little as the warm air of the lobby hit him in the face with almost painful intensity. The cold hadn't particularly bothered him when he was out in it, but now he realized his skin must be nearly frozen. Joe didn't seem to notice so he must have grown used to not being overly affected by outside temperatures.

"It was too late." Joe shrugged and his eyes seemed to shutter, telling Alex not to pursue the conversation any farther. In fact, it was obvious that the further they stayed from the subject of Billy, the better off they'd be. Whoever he was to Joe—friend, lover or whatever, he was also a barely healed scab that still bled no matter who picked at it.

In the elevator, Alex decided he would take Joe's mind off Billy and Ray and everybody else in the world. After all, this could be the last time they ever saw each other and for some reason that he couldn't fathom, Alex wanted to make a lasting impression.

As they were walking down the hall, Joe stopped and grinned. "Listen," he said. "Room 512. You hear that perverted shit? Sounds like she got out the whip...no, wait, that's a riding crop. Ten bucks says he's one of these rich old businessmen and she's a pro."

Alex had focused his hearing on the room in question, but now he shook his head. "I wouldn't take that bet. She's definitely a pro. She's got all the moves and the talk down pat."

"You know this from experience? Been paying for your kinks?" Joe smirked at him as they continued down the hall where Alex unlocked his door.

"I never pay." Alex pulled Joe into the room with him and slammed him back against the door as it closed. "I take." Then he latched onto Joe's mouth before the other man could say anything, because really, there was nothing else to talk about anyway. He thrust his tongue between Joe's lips and immediately cut it on the razor tip of a fang. He pulled back and the crimson streak of his blood shining on Joe's bottom lip sent a bolt of lust and hunger through him.

Looking into Joe's arousal darkened eyes, Alex stepped back and started to undress, dropping his coat and sweater carelessly on the floor. He stopped with his hand on the zipper of his pants. "What are you waiting for? A court order?"

Joe bent down and took off his boots, then started taking his clothes off slowly and methodically. He gave Alex's prosthetic arm one curious glance and then seemed to forget about it as he pulled him close for a long rough kiss. Alex couldn't help but notice that for someone who professed not to like kissing, Joe was good at it. He kissed hard and demanding like a man who knows he's with a man who can take it...or something like that. Alex's brain was shutting down and metaphorical thought was beyond him.

Moving them both toward the bed, Joe pushed Alex's hand away and dealt with his pants himself. He peeled the leather down Alex's hips and shoved him back onto to the bed. With the still half-clothed Joe looming over him, Alex found himself in the same situation he'd been in with Trevor the night before and decided that this experience would be different. Reaching up and grabbing Joe's waistband, he tugged him down on the bed and climbed on top of him.

"You still owe me a drink," Alex reminded the man watching him silently and then he leaned in to Joe's neck and sniffed. Smoke and whiskey, musky male and the lingering smell of blood and sex, Joe's scent went straight to Alex's cock. Closing his eyes, he drew in a deeper breath and then licked the smooth skin right over the big throbbing artery in his neck. And then it was so easy to just let his fangs cut through that fragile barrier and swallow the blood, hot and salty with that odd vampiric sweetness that he was growing to love, flowing over his lips and tongue.

With a husky groan, Joe arched his hips up into Alex's, grinding their erections together. Alex thrust his hips down and withdrew his fangs, moaning with the pleasure of increased friction as he licked every last drop of blood from Joe's skin. It must have been enough because he could feel the achy itch in his gums that meant his teeth were returning to normal.

Since he was focused on what was going on inside his mouth, Alex was taken by surprise when Joe suddenly reared up and flipped him over on his back. Alex waited until Joe had wrestled both their pants completely off without ever giving up his position, and then he rolled Joe over again. Staring down in triumph, Alex propped himself up on his prosthetic arm so he could rub his good hand down Joe's chest and over the slight curve of his stomach.

Before Alex reached his groin, Joe reversed their positions once more and grinned as he worked Alex's thighs apart. Alex grinned back as he silently accepted the challenge and raised his knees high enough to bracket Joe's hips. Clamping his legs tight around Joe, he used his lower body strength to roll them both over.

In all their wrestling, Alex failed to notice how close to the edge of the bed they'd come until they crashed to the floor. As his back hit the carpet, the air whooshed out of Joe's lungs along with one predictable word. Alex had to second the curse when the shock registered in his knees and his arm.

"All right, playtime's over. You wanna be on top? Fine," Joe said calmly, if rather breathlessly. He grabbed Alex's hips in a bruising grip, pushing and pulling until he had the head of his cock against Alex's ass.

Just as he started to press inside, Alex said, "Wait just a minute." Joe started to shake his head, but Alex insisted. "Just a fucking minute, okay?"

"What the fuck for?"

"Lube." Alex started to get up and get his bag, but Joe held onto him tightly.

"I got it." Slowly, as if afraid Alex was going to bolt, Joe took one hand off Alex's hip and brought it to his own mouth. He parted his lips until Alex could see his teeth lengthening into fangs, and then he raked one sharp tip across his palm. Blood filled his cupped hand quickly as he moved his hand down and rubbed the liquid on his cock.

"That's not very—" Alex shut up as thick wet fingers worked their way inside him, stretching and widening him until the slight pain became pleasure. The fingers raked over his prostate and were gone again before the sound of his moan had faded. The hand between his legs was replaced by the broad head of Joe's cock pushing into him in one long stroke.

"Go for it, top boy. Show me what you got," Joe growled as he pulled back just a little before thrusting in even deeper. Before Alex could raise himself up for a more controllable angle, Joe grabbed Alex's cheek, smearing the blood over his skin from ear to lips. He lunged up and planted a quick deep kiss on his mouth, then turned Alex loose.

Licking his lips, Alex could taste the salt of sweat and blood around the edges as he raised up and then plunged down again, setting a hard and fast rhythm. The rapid friction soon wore away the thin layer of blood that was supposed to smooth the way, but by then Alex didn't care that he was being rubbed raw. He'd heal. The pain just added another dimension to the pleasure.

Joe wrapped a hand around Alex's erection, callused fingers stroking, stroking, finding all the most sensitive spots as if guided by radar. Working him hard and rough, Joe seemed to know by the way Alex fucked him exactly what he needed. And it was...it was perfect, and Alex managed to clench down hard on Joe's cock in return just before he came, shooting in a pink-tinged arc onto Joe's chest.

Joe came a couple of seconds later with a groan and a shudder that shook his entire body. His eyes were squeezed tightly shut and his brow was furrowed, like pleasure somehow hurt him. Alex shook off the odd thought as he tried to get his breath back.

Shakily raising up so that Joe's cock could slip free, Alex started to get up, but Joe stopped him with a hand on his back, urging him down until his head lay on Joe's chest. Joe rubbed his hand up and down Alex's back absently as if his mind was a million miles away. For a moment, Alex wondered if he'd just been a substitute for Billy—or Ray, for that matter. Not that it concerned him much one way or the other outside of idle curiosity.

Before he met Trevor, Alex hadn't come close to being affected by another person in at least a year. Or whenever it was that he last saw Mulder, otherwise known, in the privacy of his mind at least, as Alex's Potentially Fatal Weak Spot. His contempt for Mulder grew out of the very real probability that the man would be the end of Alex, in one way or another. Yet, he remained helplessly fascinated, and endlessly grateful that the Smoking Man hadn't caught on to all the nuances of Alex's obsession with the object of Smokey's obsession. Mulder.

Old Smokey needed to be brought down, and not just for Mulder. Alex smiled against Joe's shoulder as he thought about this advantage he finally had over the bastard. He chuckled as he imagined just what all he could do now, how much stronger and faster he was, how much sharper his senses. The Smoking Man wouldn't get away from him.

"What's so funny?" Joe pushed at Alex until he sat up.

Alex pulled himself up onto the side of the bed. "Nothing. Just making plans for when I leave Chicago."

"Yeah? When's that going to be?" Joe climbed to his feet and stood there for a moment looking a little unsteady. Scrubbing his hands over his face, he glanced around and then walked over to his clothes. He scrounged around until he withdrew a red and white pack of cigarettes.

Alex grinned and watched him light a smoke and walk naked into the bathroom. "Soon, I think. I have some business that needs to be taken care of."

"Business, eh?" Joe asked as he came back out looking clean and carrying a wet washcloth that he tossed at Alex. "What do you do?"

Alex caught the cloth and started to clean the blood off his face. "You couldn't tell?"

"Nah." Joe put on his jeans and Trevor's T-shirt before shrugging and admitting, "I didn't get much from you. Mostly the arm and some dark place. It was cold and you couldn't get out."

Alex finished washing and then got up to find some clean clothes. He pulled on boxers and black wool pants, concentrating on the mundane tasks in order to control the nausea that washed over him whenever he thought of the silo. Joe had it right. It had been dark and cold, but that barely scratched the surface of what it had been like, the terror and helplessness of being locked in with a...a creature that could take him over again anytime it wanted. The hopelessness... He shook his head and buried it deep inside him. Just as he always did.

After careful consideration, Alex took a shirt out of the closet. As he worked the sleeve over his prosthetic arm, he smiled at Joe who sat on a chair lighting a fresh cigarette and said as casually as possible, "I mostly kill people."

Joe clicked his lighter shut and took a deep drag on his cigarette. "Yeah? Cool."

Alex stared at him nonplussed. "You're not even a little surprised?"

"I'm a fucking vampire." Joe laughed and blew out a thin stream of smoke. "Not much surprises me anymore."

Alex nodded with a wry smile. "Yeah, guess not."

"So you're some kinda what—assassin?"

"More a jack of all trades, but most of those trades tend toward the violent."

"Why?" Joe had a cynical twinkle in his eyes.

"To stay alive."

Joe snorted and ran his fingers through his spiky hair. "That is the problem, isn't it?" He stood up, crushed out his cigarette in ashtray on the table, and put his coat on. "Good luck. Stay outta the sun."

"I'd wish you the same, but I don't think you'd appreciate it."

"You'd be right." With a little nod, Joe opened the door and walked out into the hallway.

"See you around, Joe." Alex shut the door and wondered if he ever would see him again. He kind of hoped so. If they never crossed paths again, he'd have to assume Joe succeeded in his self-destruction. He couldn't dwell on the empty feeling of disappointment that thought gave him. He had things to do.

xx

jb7811@bellsouth.net

Title: Apparitions
Author: Amy B.
Fandoms: XF/DS/HCL crossover, vampire, AU all over the place
Pairings: Krycek/other, implied Fraser/RayK, implied Joe/Billy
Rating: NC-17
Date: December 19, 2000
Series/sequel: follows "Sunrise", Permanent Midnight Series. This is #9.
Disclaimers for crossover series with original characters are usually a nightmare. Basically, some are my characters and some belong to other folks and corporate entities. If you made it this far, you probably know which ones are which. I'm not making anything off this, and that's all that matters, right?
WARNINGS: all the usual bloodplay plus character death (it's in the past, but still...)
Notes: I know how ridiculous this series is. I swore I'd never do the Billy-RayK confusion thing or the every guy in the universe is gay/bi thing, but it has been a lot of fun, so I refuse to apologize for it. I'm also fairly sure this breaks all the 'commandments of successful crossovers', but again...so what?
Thanks to my lovely beta readers Lori J, Nicole S, and especially Barb G who probably deserves a co-writer credit, if for no other reason than for her help with Joe. She really helped him stay in character. All remaining mistakes/inconsistencies/confusing bits are my fault.
For Zen, whose enthusiasm and generosity are always inspiring.
For Nicole, whose beautiful cover was also quite inspirational.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]