Go to notes and disclaimers


Permanent Midnight IV

Alive
by Amy B


Make me your animal
make me your freak...
It's understandable
after all you're only human
—Haven't Slept in Years, Matthew Good Band

"Ah Chicago... what brings me back here? Is it the loveliness of the place? No, not likely. The bustling energy that screams 'look at me, damn you, I'm alive'? That's close. I've always loved coming here. The nasty corruptness and the odd beauty give it a unique personality. Not unlike him, really. Oh, he's not corrupt... yet, but whatever beauty he has is damned odd. He's weird looking and captivating, and that combination will take him far in his new life." Trevor smiled down at his audience of one, and asked rhetorically, "Aren't people funny? They don't want vampires who look like accountants. Even vampires want other vampires to be at least slightly exotic looking. Blending in with the populace is all well and good for survival purposes, but deep down, we're so shallow. We want to recognize each other, if not by our beauty then by our freakishness. And in a city like this, 'freak' is such a relative term."

He stared out of the city lights and noticed a few scattered snowflakes falling. Looking up, he saw a sky full of low-hanging clouds ready to drop their contents on the city. He asked solicitously, "Are you warm enough, my pet? We'll move on when the snow starts to fall in earnest.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes, freaks. He thinks he's a freak now. Could be he's always thought that, or suspected at the very least. He can be hard on himself, and that's the source of his greatest pain. He thinks that other people hurt him, but he hurts himself far worse." He frowned in consideration for a moment and then mused, "I don't know why he's so easy for me to read. Some are, of course, but that's usually because there's not much there to see. He's more complex than that, but still... Ah well, no matter."

Trevor moved closer to the edge of the rooftop and stared intently over at the window of the next building. With another beaming smile at his companion, he said, "He's finally home. Yes, I know I could have gone looking for him, but this is so much cozier, don't you think? Oh, get off your high horse. You'd do the same if you were as interested in him as I am. You probably have, sometime, somewhere.

"Would you look at that? He's got company." Trevor laughed in sincere delight and crowed, "A Mountie no less. Oh, Ray, that is just so...like you." He pulled his companion closer and said, "Watch them. This is better than television."

The two on the roof watched through the open blinds of the window across the way, as Detective Ray Kowalski walked into his living room, tugging at the arm of Constable Benton Fraser who was still taking his coat off, revealing a bright red tunic. The men seemed to be having a discussion that included a lot of laughing on Ray's part and a mischievous smile on the part of Fraser.

Ray pushed Fraser down on the sofa and then moved out of the watchers' line of sight, perhaps into the bedroom or bath. Wherever he went, he returned shortly holding something in his hand that was too small and well hidden to be observed from this distance. Fraser, on the other hand, could see it quite clearly because he shook his head vigorously and said something that made Ray laugh.

"Well, what do you think our boy is up to? I have no idea either. Yes, I could go over to the fire escape and get a closer look, but why risk giving the game away this soon? Let's just enjoy the mystery, eh?" He turned back to his primary entertainment and said, "And the kisses. Oh yeah, you go, Ray."

After practically crawling into his lap, Ray was kissing Fraser and trying to press the whatever-it-was into his hand, but Fraser seemed to be resisting. Resisting possession of the object, not the kisses, which he returned enthusiastically. After a moment, Ray seemed to give up and tossed the mysterious object onto the coffee table. Then he devoted his attention to the kissing...and touching and groping.

As hands disappeared inside clothing and hips and backs began to arch and flex in response to the hidden caresses, Trevor felt his own body begin to heat and his cock begin to harden. He allowed his teeth to lengthen and sharpen, and smiled widely down at his companion. Flicking his tongue over the tip of a fang, he reached out and pulled the younger man to his feet and took him in his arms.

"Look at them, Alex. Watch how the Mountie gives up to Ray, how he tilts his head back in ultimate surrender. Watch as Ray slides his fangs in so gently...instead of violently as he could have chosen to do. As I could choose to do. You want me to be gentle like that? Like a tender...lover? Shall I whisper sweetly to calm your nerves? Shall I compel you to feel calm and restful before I take what I want?"

Long-lashed eyes flashed green fire as rebellion and something darker burned in their depths. The voice that rasped from between cold-reddened lips sounded rusty with disuse but strong-willed and determined as he spoke for the first time since landing on the roof. "If you do, I'll kill you."

Although the corners of his eyes crinkled in amusement, Trevor did not laugh this time. He stared intently at his companion and wondered which of them, in fact, was the captive. He was quite enthralled by his new acquisition, and wanted to make this, their first bite, perfect for both of them.

Turning back for another look at Fraser and Ray, lost in their own little private world, Trevor took a deep breath of the icy cold air and blinked snowflakes out of his eyes. "As you wish, my pet."

Although Alex might have bared his neck of his own accord, Trevor clenched his bare fingers in the short hair at the back of his head and pulled back sharply. It was an integral part of the game, just like the little grunt that escaped Alex's clenched teeth. "Now we see some real beauty, eh? You have the fire, yes, but do you have the will? Shall I give you my gift? Or shall I just drain you and leave your lifeless corpse on Ray's doorstep? An appropriate gift for a cop, no?"

Alex did not answer with words. His eyes closed, and his body arched against the slighter-yet-stronger one holding him, his erection rubbing against Trevor through the thick layers of their clothes. Trevor knew what Alex thought he wanted, but he wouldn't give it to him. Not yet anyway. He would be much more pliant and fun to play with if he had his human frailties intact.

With a theatrical growl, Trevor plunged his teeth into Alex's neck, feeling the sweet flesh almost burst open, eager to offer its nectar to his questing tongue. After the first few sips, he drew back and watched the twin tracks of scarlet slowly trail down the winter-pale skin to disappear into the darkness of a black sweater. Like night swallowing a life streaking through the very snowflakes that pelted down on them with increasing vigor.

He shook off his fanciful notions and licked his pet clean. He left the blood that had soaked into his collar because it would give Alex the most intoxicating scent. For the rest for the night, no matter where they went or what they did, he'd be able to feel Alex by smell alone.

Alex opened his eyes and growled low in the back of his throat. Too tough to moan and beg, this one was, and that delighted Trevor to no end. "Impatient? Why didn't you come for me? Do you need help?" Trevor fixed his gaze on Alex's intently, working his magic until his pet couldn't have looked away if he'd wanted to. Very quietly, he breathed, "Come."

Alex's eyes widened as his body shuddered and his knees went weak. Trevor held him up and watched the pleasure and shock wash over him as the scent of semen rose from the pocket of warm air between their bodies. Licking Alex's neck again, just for the taste of his skin, Trevor whispered archly, "Feel better?"

Alex nodded and let out a long breath. He turned his face up to the sky and let the snow fall on him for a moment, then he spoke again. One word, as rusty and heartfelt as his earlier threat, "Alive."

Trevor wrapped his arm around Alex's neck and laughed. "Glorious feeling, isn't it? Enjoy it while you can, my pet. So few people do." Releasing him, Trevor strode off toward the opposite side of the roof and said, "Come, come, we're burning darkness. And I've got another to show you. This one's an ebony skinned beauty who has more ice than fire. You'll have to see her to believe her."

When Alex caught up with him, Trevor glanced back toward Ray's apartment with a smile that felt almost wistful. Then he grabbed Alex by the waist and jumped.

xx

Part V: Awake
jb7811@bellsouth.net

Title: Alive
Author: Amy B.
Fandom: Due South, crossover, Vampire AU
Pairing: Fraser/RayK, other
Rating: R? NC-17?
Date: November 16, 2000
Sequel/series: sequel of sorts to "Temptation Waits" but mostly refers to "Left Turn" But basically all you need to know is that Trevor made RayK a vampire in Left Turn, and Ray got with Fraser in Temptation Waits.
If you're curious, the other stories can be found here: http://joy_hs.tripod.com/AmyDS.html
Disclaimer: Trevor is mine, but all the rest belong to men in suits. And that's cool. Apologies if this title has already been used. I don't get out much.
Warnings: Nothing too drastic here. The most worrisome thing is the odd (as in not my usual thing) POV—it's not quite limited and not quite omniscient. It's a bit of both—and that's mostly on purpose, so don't blame the betas for "not catching it". At least it's short! ;-)
Note: Thanks to Barb G, Nicole S, and especially Lori J for beta reading this bit of weirdness. There's one line I'm not completely happy with, but I'm leaving it, for lack of something better.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]