Permanent Midnight II

Learning to Fly
by Amy B


A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
—From "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd

Fuck, it's windy up here. I must have lost my mind. Fifteen stories feels much higher than it looks. The Lake looks so... clean from up here. As unlikely as that possibility is, it's gorgeous—like a sea of ink.

It's also scary as hell. I never did learn to swim. Always kinda meant to do it, but it just never really mattered that much. I was much more into baseball and roller skates and riding bikes as a kid, and as an adult, it was too embarrassing to admit I couldn't do something that so many other people—like Stella— take for granted. Stella and I had known each other for twenty years so I was running out of excuses to avoid going into any water over three feet deep. Ah hell, she probably figured it out years ago and just let me keep making a fool of myself. That would be just like her.

Gotta get Stella out of my head. She never does any good there. I'll probably never see her again anyway, now that I've... changed. I wouldn't want her to know what I've become. Some days, I'm not all that thrilled with the knowledge myself. It's not like I was sitting around thinking, "Hmm, what would make my life complete? Becoming a blood-sucking-daylight-avoiding nightcrawler, that's what!" I didn't even know vampires existed, and now I am one. Ain't life a contrary bitch?

Man, that water is a long way down. But Trevor swore that I couldn't die except from sunlight or a stake through the heart. Now I have to decide how much I trust him. So far everything that I could test has turned out to be true. Sticking my hand in a sunbeam just for one second proved him right about one thing—it hurt like a motherfucker. I am never gonna do that again. I shudder just thinking about it.

This is one thing I gotta try. That leaping tall buildings in a single bound thing is pretty cool, but I have this urge to fly. I read it in a book once. These vampires could fly anywhere they wanted to go. Trevor never mentioned flying, but then we only had that one night together and after a while, we quit talking altogether. There was so much I should have asked him, but I was too twisted up in the whole experience to think real straight.

This desire to fly is insane. I should go right home and forget about it. My mom might have made me a red cape when I was five, but I'm not Superman. I'm just a guy. Just a guy who drinks blood and will never get any older... Okay, so maybe I'm not exactly what you'd call normal anymore...if I ever was, which I kinda doubt.

Wanting to fly's not all that insane. Wouldn't most people want to fly if they could? I guess it's the trying that's so crazy. Well, I haven't tried yet so I'm still all right. I can stay back from the edge. I can stand way over here by the elevator. I'm out of the wind, away from the edge...I'm safe.

Safe. Yeah, I'm safe right here. Nice and safe with my feet firmly planted on the pea gravel and tarpaper. I like being safe, don't I? It's soothing and calming and...not me at all. When have I ever chosen my personal safety over what I really want to do? Over what feels right? And this flying thing... This flying thing feels like something I gotta do.

I have to fly. I don't want to. Well, I do want to, but I'm afraid. It's fifteen stories to the ground—even more to the water. I'll probably break every bone in my body if— when I fall. This need is gut deep, though. It's one of those—whatcha call it— expulsion... compulsion. Yeah, that's it, a compulsion.

The wind seems to be pushing me toward the edge now, but shouldn't it be blowing from the other direction? Maybe someone's trying to tell me something. Who knows? Maybe I'm supposed to fly. Maybe...

Okay, I'm moving. Just a few more steps to the edge. That water is an awful long way down. What am I doing? Have I lost my freakin' mind?

It's a definite possibility.

But I'm going to do it. I think. No, I will. I'm gonna fly. I'm going to step back and take a running start, spread my arms... and jump.

Wow. Ohwowohwowohwowohwow....I'm doing it. I'm flying—so fast the wind whistles past my ears—didn't expect that, but hey, I'm not plummeting to the ground. Amazing! I'm really doing it.

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" Take that Chrissy Aguilera for calling me a geek in sixth grade and saying you'd rather kiss a toad than me. And Coach Morgan for not letting me play first base even though I thought I could do it. Take that Dad for saying how much I disappointed you. And Stella for leaving me. I am more than you thought. No more misfit loser. I can do something none of you can do... I can fly.

All I need's a cape and I will be Superman. Ha! I'll bet that Mountie's never known anyone who could fly. I wonder how he'd like that? Hey Fraser, want to go flying with me? Yeah, that's it. Bet your cop buddy can't give you this, huh? No, I'm the man.

I can fly, damn it. Straight out over Lake Michigan, tilt the body for a slow sweeping turn back toward the shore and...

The wind chills me as it rushes by, and it pushes me down, down toward the black churning water of the Lake. I'm falling in slow motion, spinning around and around. The stars are like a pinwheel before my eyes. It's incredible. It's so beautiful, and it's so...cold. Fuck, that hurt! I think I cracked a rib or two.

"Ahhh! Fuck!" Okay, screaming is bad because water goes in the mouth. Stop panicking, Ray. You won't die! What the fuck...? Whose voice is that in my head? It sounds like the Mountie. I've never even spoken to him, but I'm hearing his voice? Been thinking about him too much, I guess.

Don't panic, he says. Yeah right. I don't want to drown and I'm sinking. Sinking into the cold deep. Dark and silent, except for the blood pounding in my ears like it's trying to escape.

Cold nasty water burns down my throat and in my nose. Don't wanna drown, don't wanna die. Don't panic, Ray.

Don't panic, okay I can do that or not do that. I just need to calm down, stop flailing around, open my eyes, and try to figure out which way is up. Ow, that burns. And it's all darkness anyway. I might as well have kept my eyes closed.

My feet hit something that I don't want to wonder about, and it hits me that I should push. So I push off with all my strength and I shoot in the direction I desperately hope is up. My head breaks free of the surface and the air rushes into my lungs. For a precious golden second, I can breathe again, then the water rushes back in and I start to sink. I'm kicking and flapping my arms by instinct, and my head stays up so I must be doing something right. I don't care how stupid I undoubtedly look. I can see the edge of the lake a couple dozen feet in front of me.

The concrete retaining wall is really not so far away. I can get there... somehow. I know I can. Okay, this kicking and flapping thing is keeping me up, so how can I make it take me forward? Maybe stop flapping and just kick. No, then the head goes under.

What if I kinda flap in front of my body and kick behind at the same time? Yeah, oh yeah. We've got some movement here. All right!

So eventually I reach the shallow water by the wall. It feels like it took hours, but I tell myself and my aching body that it was only a couple of minutes. Pulling myself up onto the top of the wall is not as easy as it would have been from dry land, but I manage it somehow.

I think I'll just lie here and gasp for a minute. Yeah, that's good. Now I'll try a deep breath... which hurts like a son of a bitch. Okay, we'll go back to gasping. That was working pretty well.

I'm lying here staring up at the stars. The water, that soaks my clothes and drips off into an ever-widening puddle, smells disgusting. One of the drawbacks to this vampire thing is that I can pick out some of the individual odors now, and... oh yuck, I'd rather not think about it. The wind is blowing across me as if it's determined to turn me into a Popsicle. I know I should be getting up and heading home, or at least getting away from here before someone comes to investigate all the racket I've probably been making. But all I can think about...the one thing on my mind as I watch the tiny pinpricks of light in the sky is flying.

I was flying. I flew. I have flown. Maybe it was only a couple of minutes, but I did fly and it was fantastic. Maybe the most incredible thing that's ever happened to me, and I can't even tell anybody. But I know, and that's enough for now.

I may have to try it again some time...when it's warmer.

xx

Part III: Temptation Waits
jb7811@bellsouth.net



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]