Go to notes and disclaimers


Good Enough
by Amy B


Glancing at his watch, Tyler King walked out of his accountant's building and headed for his car. Since the meeting had run long and it was after five o'clock, he decided not to go back to his office. He and Cory had plans for dinner at a new restaurant that had proven so instantly popular that tables were booked weeks in advance. The owner just happened to be a client of Tyler's firm, so he'd been able to get them a reservation as soon as Cory expressed an interest. He smiled as he thought of Cory and his own eagerness to please his old friend and recent lover.

Unlocking his door, he felt a faint buzz of Presence and froze, looking all around. When he didn't see anyone, he took a pack of cigarettes out of his coat pocket and shook one into his mouth, replacing the pack before taking out his lighter so that his sword hand remained free at all times. Lighting the cigarette, he propped himself against the side of the car and waited. Licking the filter a little, he drew the smoke into his lungs enjoying the slight burn and the vaguely superior feeling that came from knowing he wasn't going to die from it. He kept a careful watch of his surroundings and waited for the other Immortal to make his move, but after a few moments the buzz faded. So Tyler shrugged it off and got into his car.

He was halfway home when he confirmed he was being followed. He'd suspected it for the last couple of miles, but with rush hour traffic had written it off as paranoia left over from the earlier incident. He turned onto a quiet residential street, went a couple of blocks and pulled over to the curb. He waited and sure enough, the red sport utility vehicle came along behind him. The car stopped far back enough that Tyler couldn't feel the Presence of another Immortal, but he knew it was the same one he'd felt earlier in the parking lot. He could only see one person, but knew another could be hiding somewhere out of view. He decided to trust his instincts, which said this was a solitary hunter.

He pulled back onto the street and drove away, with the other car following much closer now that there was no more reason to hide. He led his opponent to a side street full of dilapidated warehouses close to the river. He parked his car and walked a couple hundred yards away to a sheltered area between two buildings. He drew his sword, and lay it across his shoulders in a show of casual confidence.

The other Immortal stepped out of his car, sword in hand and advanced slowly. Tyler took note of any characteristics that might help him in the fight. The other man had a youthful face that said nothing about his actual age, and was shorter than Tyler but more bulky. He carried his sword in his right hand, with a tighter grip than was necessary. Could have been nerves, but Tyler wasn't counting on the guy being inexperienced. The man stopped two meters away and announced, "Jim Lawrence."

Tyler tilted his head in acknowledgement and replied, "Tyler King. Let's get it over with. I've got plans for the evening." Then he lunged at his opponent, sword flashing in the fading light of sunset. Lawrence blocked the flurry of blows, but gave ground with Tyler in pursuit. For several minutes the two men danced back and forth, evenly matched, each looking for weaknesses to exploit.

A particularly hard blow caused Tyler to stumble, but he kicked out and brought his opponent to his knees. He jumped to his feet and lunged for Lawrence's head, but the other man got his blade up in time, blocking the swing and jarring Tyler long enough for him to get to his feet. He met Tyler on equal footing once more with several quick slashes that left him a little too open on his left. Ignoring the long shallow gash that opened up on his chest, Tyler took advantage of the opening with a jab to the gut that brought Lawrence to his knees for the last time. The man instinctively grabbed at the wound, leaving his neck completely unprotected from Tyler's blade. One swift blow was all it took.

The thump of the head hitting the dirt was the last distinct sound Tyler heard for a while as a deafening wind rose, whipping dust and bits of trash through the causeway between the buildings. Tyler closed his eyes and relaxed into the power of the Quickening, swaying gently as waves of energy rolled off the dead Immortal and crashed into him. He cried out in pain when sharper bolts struck him, but he remained on his feet. And when it was over he felt powerful and more alive than he could remember being in a long time. He also felt battered and aroused, jittery and tense with the extra energy coursing through his veins.

Tyler went to the dead man's vehicle and was pleased to note he'd left the keys in the ignition and had almost a full tank of gas. He drove the car through the gaping doors of the nearest building, barely clearing the door when his way was blocked by a large chunk of the caved in roof. "Ah, that's good enough," he muttered, jumping out and going for the body, which he dragged inside and propped in the driver's seat. He ran back to get the head and then settled it on top of the neck.

After setting Lawrence and his vehicle on fire, Tyler calmly walked out of the building, got in his car and drove away. When he was half a mile away from the river, he lit a cigarette with shaky hands and kept driving. He was glad he had tinted windows so no one would see the red blood turning his blue shirt a deep shade of royal purple. At least his coat was dark enough that the blood didn't show up too much. If nobody looked closely, he could get up to his penthouse without any trouble.

Approaching his door, Tyler shuddered at the feel of Immortal Presence zipping up his spine. Keeping one hand on his sword, he took his keys out, but the door opened before he had a chance to use them. Cory stared at him, frowning suddenly as he noticed Tyler's condition. "What happened to you?"

"What do you think happened?" Tyler countered impatiently, stripping off his coat and tossing it into the closet. He shrugged his shoulders and adjusted his pants over the erection that hadn't faded a bit since the Quickening. His skin was on fire and his bones itched. He was not in the mood to talk about it. He just wanted some quick relief to get his system settled enough to enjoy the rest of the evening.

As Tyler turned away from the closet, Cory was there, reaching a hand out to the bloody slash in Tyler's shirt. With concern in his eyes, he asked quietly, "Are you okay? Need help getting rid of the body?"

"No." Instinctively jerking back, Tyler closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them, he stared over Cory's shoulder unable or just unwilling to make eye contact. "I took care of it. Look, I'm just going to..." He gestured vaguely toward the bathroom, and started to move away.

"Wait just a minute."

Cory reached out again, and Tyler couldn't stand another casual touch. He knocked Cory's hand away, and snapped, "Don't! I'll take care of this too."

"Ty, you don't have to. I'm here. Let me help." Holding his hand out, Cory spoke in a near whisper as if he were gentling a wild animal.

Tyler recognized what his friend was doing, but it started to work anyway. He drew in a deep breath, and conceded, "I forgot that you know what it's like." He tried a conciliatory smile, but knew that he most likely failed. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, fighting off the urge to flee to the safe haven of his room. Since it was their room now, it wasn't much of a sanctuary anymore— not a place to be alone, anyway. It had become a sanctuary of a different kind.

"Let's get this shirt off first." Cory started on the buttons, but Tyler knocked his hands away again. This time following through and pushing Cory's whole body away, pushing him up against the closet door and attacking his throat with sharp, hungry teeth. "Or the shirt can wait," Cory groaned, tilting his head so that Tyler could ravish him freely.

Tyler ground his hips against Cory's and ran his hands through dark silky hair, muttering, "Now you're getting it." He sank his teeth into Cory's collar and ripped it out of his way, not giving a single thought to the snow white silk. With that annoyance out of the way, he sucked hard at the exposed collarbone then licked his way up to the corner of Cory's jaw where he nipped sharply. All the while, he kept his hips moving restlessly against Cory's, wanting more contact but unable to stop petting Cory's hair long enough to undress either himself or his lover. He groaned in frustration when Cory's fingers stopped stroking his back and settled on his ass, squeezing and kneading and generally driving Tyler insane with lust.

Withdrawing one hand from Cory's hair, Tyler grabbed one of the hands on his ass and moved it to the bulging fly of his pants. Cory seemed to catch on quickly as he lowered first Tyler's zipper and then his own, while Tyler kissed Cory on the lips for the first time since he walked through the door. It was a hard, devouring kiss, because that's all Tyler could manage at the moment. He wanted more of this man and relief from the raging arousal, and gentleness was just too far out of his reach. His hands were wrapped around Cory's biceps, pushing him back against the door hard enough to bruise, but the dark haired man wasn't complaining.

By the time Cory had both of their pants open and out of the way, Tyler felt like he might explode from the pressure building inside him. The heat and friction of his cock rubbing against Cory's set him on fire, and he thrust hard into it. Tearing his lips from his lover's, he dropped his head back to Cory's neck where he bit and sucked hard enough to break the skin, not realizing that fact until the rush of warm blood flooded his mouth. With a mental shrug, he swallowed convulsively just as his balls contracted and he sprayed his come over Cory's cock and belly. He continued to suck the salty warmth from Cory's neck as his lover screamed and stiffened, coming hard against Tyler's still pumping hips.

Completely drained of energy, the two men slowly slid down the door in a tangle of limbs on the cool marble floor. Tyler closed his eyes and concentrated on breathing, until Cory's breathless voice intruded. "What was that all about? You turn into a vampire today?"

Tyler raised his head from Cory's chest and looked into amused green eyes. Reaching up to touch the healing wound, Tyler shivered at the charge of energy on his fingertips. He really didn't know what to say besides, "It was an accident. Sorry about that."

"It's okay. I understand." Cory rubbed soothing circles over Tyler's back, and Tyler had to fight the urge to sink into his lover, because this wasn't the best place and they didn't have time anyway.

"Thanks. Letitia... she never did." Ignoring the questions in Cory's eyes, Tyler untangled himself and glanced at his watch. "If we're going to make our reservations, we need to get going."

Cory grinned and flicked his torn collar. "You owe me a new shirt."

"You have plenty more," replied Tyler, as he made a mental note to get Cory's sizes after he fell asleep so he could surprise him with a new shirt and maybe a suit too. He stood up and said, "I'm going to take a shower and you're not invited."

Laughing, Cory jumped to his feet and followed him into the bedroom. "Fine, be that way. I'll just pick out your clothes while you're in there."

"No leather!" Tyler called over his shoulder just before he shut the bathroom door, locking it before realizing that wouldn't necessarily keep Cory out if he seriously wanted in. Ordinarily, Tyler would have been thrilled to have Cory's company in the shower, but he knew that would make them late for their reservations. Still a little emotionally raw from what happened earlier, he needed the distance to deal with the confusion and guilt over how he'd treated Cory. He hadn't lost control that violently in a long time.

He turned the shower on as hot as he could stand it, stripped and stepped under the spray. Even though he'd known the guy for over two centuries, Tyler had to get reacquainted with Cory's complete acceptance of everything that had to do with being Immortal. Tyler's wife had been all too mortal, as her fatal heart attack had proven so painfully. She had loved him, and had been utterly fascinated by his stories of times and places that she'd only heard of from history books. She'd claimed not to mind that he didn't get any older while she did, and, in later years, had only smiled and preened when someone thought he was her boy toy. She hadn't minded having to move often or not being able to have children of her own.

For all her understanding of some things, Letitia had strenuously objected to the violence of immortality, and thirty years of marriage had not changed that one bit. She'd hated it when he had to fight, and had complained vociferously when he'd come home after a challenge bloody and crackling with energy that had to be dispelled somehow. He'd learned to take care of his physical response to the Quickening before he got home if at all possible, and to get rid of any bloodstained clothes quickly and efficiently. And most of all, he learned never to talk about it. Letitia had begged him not to fight and not to hunt, but other than that she wouldn't discuss the darker aspects of his immortality.

Living with Cory was a whole different world, because not only did he understand all the violence and emotional turmoil, he'd gone through it himself. They didn't have to have secrets for protection, emotional or otherwise. It was a relief being able to be himself completely, but it was also a bit frightening because Cory expected him to do so. He wouldn't let Tyler hide behind the mysteries of Immortality.

Tyler sighed and rinsed the shampoo from his hair, then turned the hot water off, letting the blast of cold take care of the arousal that had started creeping through his body even though his mind was occupied elsewhere. He could have just jerked off, but he was determined to wait until he could get Cory in bed to take care of the fever that their earlier coupling had scarcely lessened.

Turning off the water and quickly drying himself, Tyler walked out into the bedroom to find that Cory had everything laid out on the bed for him— designer suit, coordinated shirt and tie, even socks and underwear. His lover brushed a kiss across Tyler's cheek as he hurried into the bathroom for his own shower. Tyler slipped on the black silk boxers, socks, pants, and shoes that Cory'd chosen for him. The navy blue shirt and discreetly patterned tie were next. Saving the jacket until he was ready to walk out the door, he went over to the dresser for cufflinks and his spare watch to replace the one that had gotten fried in the Quickening. He combed the damp spikes of his thick hair into order, and made a note to get a haircut in a couple of days. As the door opened behind him, he rubbed a hand over his jaw wondering if he had time to shave.

Striding into the room in a cloud of steam, Cory took one look at him and said, "Leave the stubble. You look sexy." Then he threw on his own clothes so fast that Tyler thought he must have practiced for quick getaways.

Tyler noticed that all evidence of his earlier... violent...attentions was gone from Cory's flawless ivory skin—either healed up or washed away. Suddenly feeling unsettled, he left Cory to finish getting ready.

Tyler paced around the perimeter of the living room, drifting through the dining room and kitchen before circling back and stopping by the wide windows that overlooked the lake. After Letitia died and he'd sold the big house in Denver, he'd had the strangest longing to live by the water. Any normal person with such an inclination would have ended up in a beach house somewhere, but Lake Michigan had suited his mood better. It had an untamed quality that defied the fact that it was surrounded by the city. The mystery of it appealed to Tyler the most, but tonight the Lake wasn't having its usual soothing effect on him. He'd just lit a cigarette to quiet his nerves when Cory came out looking as handsome as one of those fellows on the cover of GQ.

Tyler smiled and felt a calm descend on him like a warm blanket. He shook off the fanciful notion and crushed out his cigarette in the heavy crystal ashtray on the table by the window. Crossing the room, he took the jacket Cory held out, putting it on with a last minute check of wallet and keys. He took his sword out of the blood-splattered coat he'd worn earlier, and got out another coat, slipping the blade into a hidden inner sheath. It was almost too warm for a coat, but Tyler didn't go anywhere without his sword, and he was trying to get Cory in the habit. Since guns had become more popular and swords had gone out of fashion, Cory had slowly stopped carrying his blade every waking moment. The two men had had many discussions on the subject over the years that usually resulted in Cory carrying his sword while Tyler was around, but falling right back into his previous pattern as soon as they were apart.

The two men went out to dinner as if it was any other night, and maybe it was for most Immortals. Sipping his after dinner brandy, Tyler thoughtfully watched his lover in the candle light, the golden glow lighting up Cory's dark green eyes to a shimmering emerald. His straight white teeth—amazing considering the lack of dentistry during his mortal life— flashed in a charming smile as he related a recent adventure.

The last six weeks with Cory had been good. The loneliness that had plagued him in his grief had dissipated, but the grief itself still lingered in unguarded moments. He'd lost wives and lovers before, and every time he went through the complete cycle, all the while telling himself that this would be the last one, the last to whom he'd give his heart. But someone else always came along...

Tyler didn't realize how long he'd been sitting quietly just staring, until Cory broke off the story he was telling and said, "I lost you quite a while back, didn't I? Want to talk about it?"

"What?"

"Why you're so quiet tonight."

"Gandhi once said, 'In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness.' Did you know that?"

Cory shook his head. "And have you found resolution to whatever it is that's bothering you?"

"Not exactly." Tyler shifted his empty snifter around on the tablecloth, and finally asked the question that had been in the back of his mind for the last few days. "You're leaving soon, aren't you?"

Cory nodded and said, "No." When Tyler stared at him in disbelief, he smiled and shrugged, "Well, I may have to go out of town next week, but I'll come back. If that's okay with you."

"Of course. Listen, do you want to get out of here?" Tyler asked, signaling the waiter for the check and pulling out his wallet.

Cory grabbed his wrist and said, "I'll get this one."

With a small smile, Tyler acquiesced and sat back to watch his lover. He was worried that Cory might be getting bored with him, so he looked for signs of restlessness in the other man. Cory looked as relaxed and contented as he always did, but Tyler could feel his own earlier edginess returning full-force. He had to get out of here, away from all these well-dressed people with their discreet chattering that was starting to grate on his nerves. He huffed a sharp sigh of relief when Cory gave the waiter cash and stood up to go.

Once out in the breezy softness of the late spring evening, the two men walked down the street at a pace that didn't suggest a leisurely stroll so much as a burning off of energy. By unspoken agreement, they headed for a nearby park that would be quieter than the bustling street. The park was one of the small pockets of greenery often scattered through large cities— basketball court in one corner, baseball diamond in another, a small playground, and the obligatory monument to some long forgotten person who was only famous in that particular neighborhood anyway. There were also paved walking and bike paths winding through the trees and neatly trimmed shrubbery.

Sticking his hands in his coat pockets, Tyler could feel the reassuring weight of his sword against his side as he started down a path with Cory beside him. They walked in silence for several yards, before Tyler asked, "So is this trip for business or pleasure?"

"Business that will be a pleasure." Cory grinned and nudged Tyler with his elbow. "You could come with me, you know. I'll bet you'd be a great bank robber."

"Oddly, I have no aspirations of being a wanted felon. Those banks have got too many cameras for my taste."

"Well, it's not an actual bank this time..." Cory trailed off, and looked at the grey-speckled pattern of the pavement beneath their feet. "It's a check-cashing place that my research tells me has an unusually high amount of cash on hand."

"You're not stealing from the mob again are you?"

After a long pause, Cory replied, "No."

"Where is this place? How long are you going to be gone?" Tyler hoped that he didn't sound as anxious as he felt. For some reason that made no sense yet, he was suddenly afraid to let Cory out of his sight. They'd made no commitment to each other, and he had no right to ask Cory not to go. The impulse was there just the same.

"Seacouver, Washington—I've got a place outside there. There's another job I might do there... a couple of weeks should do it." Cory moved closer and glanced at Tyler from the corner of his eye, and said, "Gonna miss me?"

Tyler glanced around to make sure they were alone and said, "Mmm, I think I will." Then he put a hand on the back of Cory's head, pulling him in for a kiss. He smiled against Cory's lips and murmured, "Oh, yeah, I will, definitely will."

"I'll have to give you something to think about while I'm gone," Cory whispered back, taking Tyler in his arms. Catching Tyler's lower lip between his teeth, he nibbled and then soothed the abused flesh with his tongue. Tyler opened his eyes and stared at his lover as they devoured each other's mouths.

A low growl coming from just off the path broke the men apart. Cory laughed while Tyler shook his head in frustration and sighed, "Not again."

Tyler looked over and was not surprised to see a white wolf dog standing there. He wasn't especially cheered by the fact that it seemed to be snarling at Cory and not him. While Cory continued to laugh like a hyena, not at all frightened of the creature that looked ready to rip his throat out, Tyler looked around and wondered where the flannel guy was. He was mildly surprised when the man showed up a moment later in full dress RCMP regalia. Leaning into Cory, Tyler asked quietly, "What's a Mountie doing in Chicago?"

"I'm still wondering what a wolf's doing in Chicago," Cory countered under his breath with a big grin.

"Diefenbaker!" The Mountie snapped at the wolf before turning to the two Immortals and saying, "I'm terribly sorry. I explained things to him, but he's really very stubborn once he gets an idea into his head. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Constable Benton Fraser. I first came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of my father. And for a variety of reasons, I have remained, attached as Liaison to the Canadian Consulate. Diefenbaker is half wolf, actually." This last was directed to Cory with a nod.

"My mistake," said Cory, with a tilt of his head that made Tyler want to throw him on the ground and remind him to whom he belonged.

"Oh no, it's a common mistake," the Constable replied politely. "Come Diefenbaker, we need to catch up with Ray. Gentlemen, please accept our apologies, and... and carry on."

Tyler smiled politely as his lover went off again into another round of snickers.

The Mountie blushed and murmured, "Oh, dear."

Shrugging one shoulder, Tyler rubbed his temple tiredly and said, "Don't mind him. He's a freak."

The blush disappeared as the Mountie went pale and stared at Tyler searchingly for a moment. Tyler was about to ask what the problem was when the Constable suddenly turned his head without taking his eyes off Tyler. A couple of seconds later, a voice called from around a bend in the path, "Fraser! Hey, Frase, where'd you go?"

The wolf dog jumped to its feet, yipping madly, and Tyler would have sworn it was grinning at them. His contemplation on the vagaries of wolf dogs was broken by the Chicago-accented voice speaking again from closer by.

"Hey, Dief, are you hittin' up strangers for pretzels now?" As the vaguely familiar man bent over to rub the back of the wolf's furry neck, his leather jacket swung open. Tyler caught a glimpse of the butt of a gun in a shoulder holster and thought the guy must be a cop. There was also something in the way he carried himself, an alertness that suggested more awareness of his surroundings than the average person might have.

And when he looked up at Tyler and Cory there was a subtle suspicion in his eyes, even as he gave a friendly smile. "Hey. You guys friends of Fraser's? Have we met before?"

Tyler glanced at Cory who was staring at the new arrival in silence with an expression of surprise bordering on shock. The Mountie was looking from Tyler to the new guy and back again in fascination. It was getting on Tyler's nerves, but he smiled and said, "No. We just met Constable Fraser. I'm Tyler King, and this is Cory Raines."

"Ray Vecchio. Nice to meet you." Tyler shook hands with Vecchio, hoping that if he was a cop, Cory wasn't known to be wanted for anything. The name rung a bell, so he decided to ask.

"I noticed the shoulder holster. Are you a cop? The reason I ask is, I met a police detective named Ray Vecchio at a function for the Mayor's Office about three or four months ago. But he was a green eyed Italian, looked nothing like you."

Vecchio and Fraser exchanged a speaking look, and the blond turned his attention back to Tyler and said blandly, "Must be another Ray Vecchio. Chicago's a pretty big town."

Tyler tilted his head toward the wolf. "I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure."

Vecchio looked about to speak when Cory finally let out a breath and said, "Amazing!"

The other three men looked at him, and when he stepped toward Vecchio, the wolf dog started growling again, stopping him in his tracks. "It's okay, boy," Cory soothed the wolf. He smiled at the Mountie. "Explains a lot, doesn't it?"

Constable Fraser nodded. "I believe I mentioned the resemblance the first time we met."

"Resemblance, yeah, but not this," Cory replied, waving a hand at Vecchio and Tyler, who'd had quite enough.

"What? What resem—" Something clicked in the back of Tyler's mind, and he stared at the cop. After a moment of careful consideration, he admitted there was a similarity between himself and the cop. Tyler took in the man in front of him with his spiky hair and rumpled casual wear. He was a few years older than Tyler's apparent age.

"What resemblance you ask? This guy could be your twin," Cory declared with a roguish gleam in his eyes.

"You know that's not possible and get that other thought out of your mind right now."

"Aw, come on Ty, you gotta wonder—"

"No, I don't. And you better not be too curious yourself, Cory." Tyler felt that thrill of possessiveness again, and told himself to ease up before he scared his lover off. He patted Cory on the arm briefly, hoping to imply they'd talk later when there wasn't a Mountie, a cop, and a wolf as witnesses to their lovers'...squabble, discussion, whatever it turned out to be.

And the Mountie, cop, and wolf were all watching them avidly. The cop—Vecchio— was staring at Tyler with blue eyes that held hints of gold that gave them an almost greenish tint in the amber glow of the park's street lights. Tyler's own eyes were just plain blue, and his hair was a darker shade of blond, but the resemblance was definitely there. Maybe if it was possible for Immortals to have siblings, they could have been brothers.

"You, ah...you think we could be related somehow?" Vecchio asked with a furrowed brow, obviously trying to work it out for himself. Maybe he was contemplating which uncle could have a son 'born on the wrong side of the blankets', as they used to say in Tyler's youth.

"No. I was an only child, and so were my parents," Tyler lied without a qualm, because that was true of his current identity. He'd had brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins, but none of them were actually genetically linked to him, so it was the truth when he continued, "It's just a strange coincidence. Small world and all that."

"How can you be so sure? Were either of your parents descended from Mateusz and Agnieszka Kowalski? Or Henry and Marit—"

"Look," Tyler interrupted. "I'm sure your family tree is fascinating but we are not related. Now my friend and I should be going. It was... interesting to meet you Detective Vecchio. And you, too, Constable Fraser."

Not giving the two men a chance to object, Tyler took Cory by the hand and led him back down the path at a quick clip. Cory naturally had plenty to say about the strange meeting.

"Come on, Ty! You should have at least gotten his number. I'd love to see how else you guys are similar." Cory pulled Tyler to a stop and said, "Let's go back. Maybe he and the Mountie would like to join us? For experimental purposes, of course."

"First of all... no. Second, I'm not sure they were a couple. And even if they were and I was interested—which I'm most certainly not— I don't think Constable Fraser's that flexible." Tyler started walking again, reaching into his pocket for a cigarette.

"If they're not a couple, they should be." Cory grinned slyly and said, "Don't know about the Constable, but his friend looked plenty flexible—very limber. Probably a good dancer, too. I'll bet he's got a spine like a snake."

"How could you possibly tell that just from standing next to the guy for a couple of minutes?" Tyler was incredulous, and bordering on hurt to hear Cory talk like this. He knew it was stupid because he knew how Cory was, but suddenly these things mattered more than they did when the two men were just friends. He was getting too attached, but hadn't he already decided that?

"I've got an eye for these things," Cory replied, oblivious to Tyler's upset.

Tyler wanted to shake his lover and ask why he wasn't enough for Cory, but all he did was flick his Zippo open and light his cigarette. Swallowing the sick feeling of betrayal, he blew out a stream of smoke and asked casually, "You've got an eye, huh?"

"I can tell lots of things just by looking, but even a blind man could see that you're jealous." Cory crooked a brow at him, daring Tyler to deny it, but Tyler had no such intention.

"Yeah, a little." Tyler shrugged and hoped his weakness wouldn't be used against him. "Is that a problem? Can you blame me?"

"No, not really." Cory sighed and looked away. "It's not everyday you meet a man who could be your lover's twin. I can't help being curious."

"Well. I guess... I guess that's understandable."

"You're pissed, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not. I just said I understand." Tyler pinched the filter of his cigarette tightly between his thumb and forefinger, taking one last sharp drag before dropping it to the ground and grinding it under his heel much harder than necessary.

"You are angry. Come on Tyler. Even if I did him, I'd share with you." Cory grinned and winked, but Tyler was not charmed. It must have shown on his face because Cory's grin faded, and he said, "I'm sorry, Ty. I was just teasing."

"I know, Cory." Tyler licked his lips, nerves singing through him. "It's all right. I've just been on edge tonight."

"I noticed. You've been like a cat in a cage. Something you wanted to talk about?" Cory asked as they stopped on the curb and waited for a car to pass before crossing the street to the parking lot.

"No, it was... I don't know. It's not important." Tyler took his keys out of his pocket, opening the doors and apparently changing the subject, though it was the same one as far as he was concerned. "So when are you leaving for Seacouver?"

"I haven't decided if I'm flying or driving yet, but probably Monday, which leaves us the whole weekend to... make up."

"Hmm. Think we can get started even though it's only Thursday?" Tyler started the car and pulled out onto the street, shaking his head as Cory patted his knee with a lecherous grin.

xx

Scrambling to capture Cory's roaming hands, Tyler ripped his mouth away from his lover's and whispered, "Wait a minute."

"What for?" Cory thrust his hips hard against Tyler's and wrenched one hand loose, thrusting his fingers through his lover's hair. He tilted Tyler's head back and ran his teeth down the tensed muscle in the side of his neck.

With a sharp gasp, Tyler closed his eyes and made an effort to pull away. He wanted to take it slower, but Cory was burning him up and it felt too good to stop. Unwinding Cory's fingers from his hair, Tyler murmured, "Wait. Slow down...stop."

When Cory immediately stopped moving, Tyler brought their entwined hands up between them, rubbing his lips over Cory's knuckles. He slowly pushed Cory over onto his back and lay against his side, his hard aching cock pressing into Cory's hip. Kissing him softly on the cheek, Tyler whispered, "I don't want to stop completely. I just want to take it easy, make it last instead of going at each other like wild animals."

Cory looked up through long lashes, the forest of his eyes gleaming almost black. Tyler brushed a kiss over one high cheekbone and licked delicately along the curve of his lover's jaw. He released Cory's hands and ran his own up the corded length of Cory's arms, over his shoulders and down his chest with a light soothing touch. Tonight, Tyler needed to show Cory some tenderness even though it had never really been a part of their encounters...their relationship...before. Maybe it was the fear that he was going to lose Cory that led him to change the rules. He was unaccustomed to such a fear because Cory had never been his in the first place, nor at any time during their long acquaintance. They were just friends who occasionally had sex, for fun, to let off steam, out of loneliness. It was always good, but it had never meant much before now. This was the longest time they'd ever actually lived together.

"Mmm... That's nice," Cory murmured approvingly, bringing Tyler's attention back to the task at hand.

"Nice, huh? How about this?" Tyler stroked his fingertips over the flat plain of Cory's stomach, down to the waiting erection. Circling the hardness slowly with just his fingertips, Tyler touched his lips to Cory's throat and breathed, softer than a sigh, against the damp skin Cory's faint groan touched some yearning thing deep inside Tyler that made him uncomfortable yet hungry for more. He pressed his lips to Cory's and sipped slowly, resisting the urge to devour his lover in gulps.

Never taking his hands from Cory's body, Tyler varied the speed, strength, and location of his touches so that the man writhing beneath him could never anticipate what would come next. After several long moments of this torment, his own body cried out for release, but he ruthlessly ignored it as he shifted further down on the bed and took Cory's heated erection in his hand once more.

Sliding his tongue down the length, Tyler kept his teeth carefully away from his lover's skin, knowing that Cory was too sensitized right now for anything rough. He licked the sticky drops of escaping fluid from the head, then sucked Cory's entire cock gently into his mouth until the tip bumped into the back of his throat. Pulling back, Tyler repeated the motion, as his ears filled with the whimpers coming from above him. When the whimpering turned to pleading, he crawled back to the head of the bed and whispered breathlessly into Cory's ear. "What can I give you, Cory?"

Kissing Cory's neck, Tyler continued. "I'll do anything you want, but you know what I want? Hmm? I want you inside me. I want you to fuck me long and hard. I want you to take me."

Opening his eyes suddenly, Cory shuddered and rolled Tyler over onto his back. Leaning on one elbow, Cory tried to speak but nothing came out. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure." Tyler rubbed his fingertips down Cory's cheek and over his lips, reassuring them both. It wasn't what Tyler wanted so much as what he needed. He needed the feeling of security that would come from being claimed by this man who had come to mean so much more to him in the last few weeks than in all the previous decades put together.

Tyler's heart leapt in his chest when Cory took his fingers in his mouth, sucking hungrily before pulling them out and turning to get the bottle of lubricant from the nightstand drawer. When Cory motioned at him with the bottle, Tyler turned over on his stomach and sighed as the cool slick fingers touched his heated skin. He shifted impatiently as Cory took his time stretching him, slowly and thoroughly preparing his body for entry. When a hooked fingertip brushing over his prostate sent electric sparks all through him, Tyler moaned, "Please, Cory."

When Cory put his hands on the inside of Tyler's thighs, the prone man spread his legs and lifted his hips, eager for what would come next. He forced himself to relax as Cory's cock pushed against his opening, the broad head pressing inside and then stopping. Tyler cursed and thrust his hips back, taking the throbbing intruder deeper into him. Cory took control again, pulling almost out and then shoving back in until he was buried completely inside Tyler. Shuddering and reminding himself to relax, Tyler rocked his hips just a little against his lover, then groaned as sharp teeth nipped at the back of his neck.

"Ty, are you okay? Is it good, baby?" Cory's whiskey hot voice burned across his skin, intoxicating him as much as the physical pleasure of the hard cock pumping and grinding in his ass.

"Oh yeah, good, it's all good, it's great," Tyler mumbled into the pillow, and moved his hand toward his leaking erection.

"No, not yet," panted Cory as he leaned his weight on one hand to free the other to grab Tyler's before he made contact. "Wait just a minute." And with almost painful swiftness, Cory withdrew his cock from Tyler's body. The stunned man didn't have a chance to ask what was going on before Cory rolled him over onto his back and shoved his legs apart, leaving it to Tyler to bend his knees and plant his feet. Stopping just long enough to relubricate, Cory pushed his cock back inside and started thrusting in long hard strokes. Tyler gasped for breath and reached for his lover, wrapping his hands around his biceps and levering himself off the pillows for a kiss. He thrust his tongue into Cory's mouth in a matching rhythm until he couldn't breathe. Releasing Cory and lying back against the bed, Tyler took his neglected cock in his hand and stripped his fingers from testicles to tip quickly and efficiently. He tried to match his movements with the pounding that Cory was giving him, but his hand was shaking from the power of his growing feelings. He'd been holding back for so long, but now the pressure was building and he couldn't resist the lure of the spectacular orgasm that was building in his guts and spine and balls. He roughly stroked his aching erection a couple more times, and just let go...

When he finally stopped coming, Tyler was breathless, weak, and vaguely surprised that he hadn't passed out. He was sure his eyes had rolled back in his head at some point, probably about the time he cried out Cory's name about five times really fast, each time higher than the last. When Cory stopped thrusting and suddenly stiffened against him, Tyler opened his eyes in time to see beautiful green eyes go hazy and that sweet mouth mutter something unintelligible as Cory came inside him then collapsed on his chest with a loud groan. Tyler wrapped his arms around Cory's back and held him tightly, finally feeling secure. One hard fuck shouldn't have had such an effect, but it did. It was more than just a fuck, but as such things go it was stellar and Tyler was content to bask in the afterglow for a while.

When Cory pulled away, Tyler let him go, but breathed a silent sigh of relief when Cory only rolled off his chest and settled at his side. He met Cory's kiss with eager affection, one hand languidly smoothing the damp spikes of his dark hair.

When Cory broke the kiss with a yawn, Tyler asked softly, "So you're coming back, right?"

"Yeah, if I'm able," Cory yawned again and laid his head on Tyler's shoulder.

"That's good enough. Want to go get cleaned up?"

When Cory didn't answer, Tyler tilted his head just a bit and saw that his lover was sound asleep. With a smile, he whispered to himself, "Good enough."

xx

Part III: Rush

jb7811@bellsouth.net

Fandom: Highlander/Due South
Pairing: Cory Raines/Tyler King, Fraser/Kowalski implied/speculated
Rating: NC-17
Sequel/Series: Sequel to Chance Meetings, possible series
Date: August, 1999
Feedback: All kinds welcome at jb7811@bellsouth.net
Flames, if suitably creative, will be met with a round of applause and shared with all my friends.
Disclaimers: Cory and Tyler are property of Rysher, Panzer/Davis and anyone else who may have claim to the Highlander universe. Fraser, both Rays, and Diefenbaker are property of Alliance and whoever else owns the Due South universe. I borrowed them without permission. No profit has been nor will ever be made from this story (the very idea is laughable).
Notes: If you've made it this far and are wondering "who the hell are these people?"— Cory Raines was an Immortal (one-ep. guest) played by Nicholas Lea, and Tyler King was a guest bad guy (K'immie of the week) played by the way underused Callum Keith Rennie (who also played Ray Kowalski-undercover-as-Vecchio on DS... Aha, you see where we're going now, don't you?)
In the series, Cory and Tyler never appeared onscreen together, so if you're looking for canon, you're out of luck here. I also choose to ignore the end of "The Innocent" (the ep of HL in which Tyler appeared), because it screws with my plans for world domination— oh wait, that's something else... Never mind. Suffice to say, he's not dead and never will be in my little fantasy world. So I guess that makes this AU, right? All righty then, let's proceed from there. Oh yeah, this takes place before "Money No Object" and you'll see why later. ;-)
Big thanks to my lovely and tolerant beta readers Mouse, Nicole, and nancy. They did an outstanding job whipping me— uh, I mean, the story— into shape. All mistakes are clearly mine.
Warnings: Nothing too bad. There's a little blood shed, but not much.
Summary for archive: It's an eventful night for Tyler and Cory. Sequel to Chance Meetings

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]