Go to notes and disclaimers


Just One Breath
by Amy B


Fox Mulder heaved a deep sigh and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. He was bored... deeply, mind-numbingly bored. Of all the scut work that he and Scully had been doing since losing the X Files, this was the worst. The assignment was to sit and watch an office building in what had to be the most deserted part of D.C. At least, it was deserted at this late hour.

He shot his cuff and looked at his watch in the dim glow of the few remaining streetlights. 2 a.m. and Scully wouldn't relieve him until 5. Since the man he was watching for would reportedly be on foot, he couldn't even depend on the noise of a vehicle to alert him. He had to keep his eyes trained on that shadowy doorway and call in the moment the suspect appeared. He wasn't even allowed to follow the guy, just report that he had arrived at the office. Kersh had been very clear that any screwups would virtually guarantee that the X Files would forever remain out of Mulder's reach.

He had run out of sunflower seeds a couple of hours ago. If he drank any more coffee, which was cold anyway, he was going to jump clear out of his skin. He thought about getting out of the car and walking around a bit, but squashed that idea for fear of tipping off his quarry.

Keeping his eyes on the building, he reached over and opened the glovebox, hoping he had another bag of seeds in there. The sound of a door opening behind him startled him into turning around. He caught a glimpse of dark hair and black leather before snapping his head around and drawing out his gun. He held the gun up and glanced back trying to see the intruder and keep the building in view. The angles involved made it very difficult.

"Is that any way to greet a friend, my little Snickerdoodle?" The black velvet voice coming out of the darkness belonged to none other than Alex Krycek, whom he hadn't heard from in over a week.

"Oh, I get it now. You want me to kill you. Well hell, Alex, all you had to do was ask," replied Mulder disgustedly. But he did put his weapon away. "What are you doing here?"

"You're very inquisitive aren't you? Always asking questions." Krycek reeled them off as if reading a grocery list, "What do you want? Where are you? What are you doing here? Why'd you take my gun? Is that my garter belt you're wearing? You're just full of questions."

"Yeah, and you're just full of—"

"Nuh uh uh, that's no way to talk, my little love monkey."

"Krycek, I swear I am going to kill you. I can claim insanity or self-defense. Either way, they would never convict me once they knew how irritating you can be."

"And you would want to air our dirty laundry in public, my little—"

The sliding sound of a gun clearing leather stopped Alex before the next endearment made it out of his mouth. Mulder smirked and said, "Finally, a way to shut you up."

"I know a much better way," insinuated Krycek smoothly, as Mulder felt the leer hit the back of his head with an imaginary thump.

"What is it with you? Are you obsessed with sex?" Mulder manfully ignored the erection trying to break out of his own pants.

"I didn't say anything about sex, now did I? But now that you bring it up— no pun intended—have you been getting any? Besides from your lovely right hand, of course," chuckled Krycek as he leaned against the back of the front seat.

Mulder swallowed hard as soft breath caressed his neck. He tried to sniff disdainfully, but almost moaned as the scent of Polo invaded his head. Damn, the bastard would show up on a Friday. It was underlaid with the faintest whiff of cinnamon. He almost came right then and there. He blinked slowly, knowing he had to keep watch on the building but wanting desperately to see Alex.

He glanced into the rearview mirror and Alex snapped, "Eyes front!" He had obeyed the order before he even realized he was going to do so.

"Aren't you on surveillance? You better keep 'surveilling' then." The cool amusement was back in his voice. "Just listen or talk, but don't look. You might miss your guy and get in trouble with the boss man."

"How do you know so much about what I'm doing?" Mulder's knees may have been a bit weak with lust, but he was still plenty suspicious.

"I told you before, Fox-don't-call-me-that." Krycek whispered right into Mulder's ear, "I know everything about you."

Mulder could not control his shudder as the combination of warm air and Krycek's smoky voice tickled his ear. He felt a bit light headed as all the blood in his upper half raced down to his lower half, leaving him hard and aching. "Well, what else is new?"

Alex chuckled and said, "What was that?"

Mulder sighed and shifted in his seat. "Nothing. What are you doing here again?"

"I just came to see you, Fox-don't-call-me-that. Can you believe I missed you?"

"Not really, no."

"Well, I did. I had to go to— oops, better not tell you where— for a few days. It was really cold and I had to— um, better not tell you that either. Well, I spent a lot of time thinking about you. You know, to keep warm."

"Krycek, I'm supposed to be working, so if I ignore you, will you go away?" Mulder asked a little desperately as visions of warming Alex danced in his head. It put those sugarplums all to shame— besides, what the hell's a sugarplum, anyway?

"Tell you what, you keep 'working'. I mean, really keep your eyes peeled for your suspect or whatever. And I'll just hang out here and keep you company. You wouldn't want to fall asleep or anything," said Alex in the most innocent, helpful voice Mulder had ever heard. He was not reassured, but he was unbearably aroused.

Mulder shifted in his seat, trying to relieve some of the pressure in his groin and muttered, "Do whatever you want. Don't you always?"

"Not always, darlin', or I'd have you bent across the hood of this car right now. And you and I would have been lovers years ago. You'd have had me while I was young and vulnerable."

Mulder snorted, "When would that be—grade school? That's illegal, not to mention disgusting."

"I'm wounded, Mulder. You cut me to the quick."

Mulder snorted again but didn't say anything.

"Mulder... Fox... Snickerdoodle?" Mulder shot his meanest glare at the rearview mirror then quickly turned back to his watch.

The sarcasm seemed mostly self-directed as Krycek said, "When we first met, I had a hero-worshipping crush on you. Isn't that the cutest thing you ever heard?" His voice slipped back into velvet soft seduction, murmuring, "Then I got to know you. No more crush for me, then it became raw animal lust. You know, the kind that makes you want to rip the other person apart with your teeth?"

Mulder groaned and wondered if he could ease his hand into his pants without Krycek noticing. He decided it was worth a try even though the odds were not in his favor. He slid one hand into his lap, loosened his belt and button, and slowly slid the zipper down, coughing loudly to cover the sound.

"You're not getting sick are you?"

"Yeah, and it's contagious so you better get back before you catch a nasty germ." His cock leapt into his hand and he breathed deeply to control his reaction.

Krycek laughed unpleasantly and said, "After the Black Oil, being infected with a simple little bad cold doesn't scare me much."

"I guess not." Mulder suppressed another shiver as he stroked down his length with light teasing fingers, hitting the most sensitive spots with well-practiced touches. Krycek's breath was a sinuous flow over his neck and ear, and it was making his heart beat faster and his hand tighten. He had to say something to distract them both, so he opened his mouth and blurted out the first thing that came to mind. "So you're wearing Polo on Fridays again?"

"Yeesss... I bought it just for you. Here take a sniff," offered Alex and he thrust his face over the seat to almost brush against Mulder's. The agent's eyes nearly crossed as the scents of cinnamon, Polo, leather, and Alex suddenly swirled around his head. His hand pulled hard on his cock and his head tilted back until he could just see the doorway that was the focus of his stakeout. He briefly noticed that Krycek seemed to be breathing rather heavily but his brain deemed this information unimportant considering the climax that was fast approaching, drawing all his body's resources.

Mulder felt Alex's head tilt down and braced himself for contact but what he got was an exclamation, "Damn Mulder! Is that for me?"

"What?" Mulder was too far gone for clever obfuscations. Heck, he was almost too far gone to keep his eyes open. Fear of Kersh's wrath was just barely strong enough to invade his lizard brain and keep his eyes focussed.

"That's a very impressive woody you're pulling there," replied Krycek breathlessly. His deep growly voice almost covered the creaking leather sounds as he muttered in Mulder's ear, "That's gotta be for me, right? Work that bad boy, Fox. You're close, now. Come on, work it like you want to."

Mulder had given up trying seriously to resist quite awhile back but now he gave up even the pretense as he stroked his cock faster. He was goal oriented, and it was within his reach. The long, almost-silent moaning exhalation against his neck tipped Mulder over the edge. Barely remembering to keep his eyes open, he arched his back and climaxed, catching the come in his shirt tail.

He breathed deeply, taking in the earthy, yet alluring scents of aftershave, leather, sweat, and semen. He vaguely remembered a faint splattering sound coming from the back seat so he chanced a glance into the rearview mirror. Krycek's head was bowed and Mulder heard the sound of a zipper being zipped. He turned back around and was about to ask... what, he didn't know, then he spotted his quarry.

He muttered a couple of quick curses and snatched up his cell phone. He punched in the number, gave the information, and agreed to continue watching until the other agents got there. "That was very close, Krycek. I almost missed him because of you," complained Mulder. He glanced in the mirror again. "What was that all about anyway?"

But there was no answer because Krycek was already gone.

Mulder sat in the car until his assignment was finished with the arrival of four dark sedans that ejected a flock of blank-faced men in dark suits. Ordinarily, he would have hung around and watched just out of curiosity. But this time he did as he was told and went straight home. It was almost four a.m. and he had to be at work at eight, so he needed to try to get a few hours sleep.

As soon as he walked into his apartment, he checked his phone machine out of habit. Although he didn't really expect any messages, the infernally sexy voice slithering out of the little speaker didn't come as a big surprise.

"Mulder, are you thinking about me?"

Mulder muttered, "Well, I wasn't before..."

Krycek's message continued with a slight chuckle, "I had a nice time tonight on our date."

"Yeah, I have a stain on my upholstery to prove it."

"I think you did too, Fox-don't-call-me-that, no matter what you're telling yourself now. But the reason I called is to tell you I have to go out of town again. So... I won't be seeing you or talking to you for awhile. They don't have good long distance service in— Well, anyway don't get worried if you don't hear from me for a few weeks. I probably won't be dead."

"You better not be, 'my little Snickerdoodle'," snorted Mulder over the answering machine's whir of rewinding tape. Mentally whacking himself for being a fool, he took the tape out and stuck in one of the few places the men who had searched his apartment had not found yet. Then he went to bed and dreamed of a naked Alex covered in little cinnamon cookies.

xx

Part VI

jb7811@bellsouth.net

Rating: NC-17
Disclaimer: Characters owned by CC, 1013, Fox etc. I borrow them for love and get nothing in return except some maybe some feedback. ;) jb7811@bellsouth.net
Notes: Thanks & hugs to Paula for the idea, the set-up, and encouragement.
Big thank you to Nicole for the beta that saved Mulder from having a Southern accent. This is for everyone who has written asking for more.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]