Blood, Sweat and Tears

by Cuffs

An X-Files/Once a Thief Crossover.


Somewhere in a dark alley a red truck waited. The sound of blues rang through the night, making the few people that passed by wonder what was going on in there. Inside the truck sat a man. His hands moving with the rhythm of the music, tapping on his steering wheel, he was seemingly enjoying himself immensely. Sure, Vic Mansfield liked Eric Clapton and BB King, but for him, blues was the art of the obscure musician. It was the unknowns that held his heart. Some years ago he had visited some small towns in the Midwest and the South, starting out in Dakota. He had encountered lots of natural talents there. Sitting in smoky bars, tables littered with empty glasses and cigarette buds, he had taped all those immortal, raw sounds. Closing his eyes, he let himself wash away on the rhythm of his music...

"Hey, Vic! Turn that crap down, will you!"

The truck door opened noisily, and the shouting of his annoying partner shook him out of his reverie.

"Go to hell, Mac. You've already gotten me out of my bed in the middle of the night, not to mention the fact that I've been waiting for you for almost an hour."

"Yeah well, traffic was a bitch."

Vic just glared. Mac hoisted himself into the truck and leaned over to turn down the volume. Vic pushed his hand away.

"Don't even think about it, Ramsey. First I want to have a nice coffee and a doughnut from the deli on 45th, and then you can tell me what is going on. Since you took your time to get here, whatever it is can wait ten minutes more. Before I have had my coffee, I do not want to talk to you or hear as much as a squeak."

Of course, the dickhead couldn't resist.

"Still frustrated because of your lousy sex life, huh?" Pretended sympathy sounded in his voice.

Vic turned his head to look in his face. Yep, the smug smile was plastered all over his face.

He started the truck and muttered just loud enough so Mac could hear it, "Dick."

It didn't take long before they arrived at 'The Wacky Deli'. It was a typical cop deli only five minutes away from the precinct and open 24 hours a day. Vic didn't think the owner even slept since he was always there. Vic turned off the engine and the music and got out of the car. Mac stayed inside.

"What's wrong, Ramsey? Don't like coffee? They've got milkshakes too with little coloured sprinkles on the top for the kids. Want one?"

No answer, just a glare, then Mac started to smile. "I can actually talk now? O wow, what generous offer, o ye mighty white knight. Are you buying?"

"Did I say it was a generous offer? I'm not inviting you, you moron. Buy your own damn drinks."

Mac got out of the car and slammed the door shut, all the time his eyes fixed on Vic's, smile lavishly hugging his face.

"You mean this isn't a date? Or are you going feminist on me?"

Vic rolled his eyes and shook his head. Together they started to walk towards the shop, continuing their friendly banter.

"You invited me. Besides, I live on the same salary as you do, Mac. So even if I wanted to take you out, I wouldn't be able to afford it."

"Why, Vic, I believe that was a flirtatious compliment."

"And as usual you only hear what you want to hear. The day I would want to take you out would be the day I'd start to wear leather outfits and give up on Li Ann. Precisely the things I plan on doing, well, never." Vic smiled at Mac while he smiled back. They entered the deli, delicious aromas meeting them, surrounding them. Fat Willie stood at the counter greeting his loyal customer. Vic came in every week for one thing or another.

"Hey, Vic, what brings you here in the dead of the night?"

"Your delicious baking skills of course, Willie, what else?"

"Couldn't sleep, huh?"

"What, with a partner like this?" He gestured to Mac. Willie smiled knowingly and went to get a pot of fresh coffee.

"Vic, I don't think Willie took that the way you meant it."

"What is it now, Mac?" Vic let out an exaggerated sigh.

"Come on, will you, that look on his face, he thinks we're lovers." Mac smiled smugly, probably really happy with himself now that he had found another thing to tease Vic with.

Vic almost fell off his barstool. "What?!! Are you nuts? Willie knows I'm straight."

"I knew it, you're homophobic."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Shut up, Ramsey."

Willie returned with two cups of steaming coffee. He put a plate of doughnuts in front of them accompanied by a large bowl of whipped cream.

"Enjoy yourselves, fellas. I'm going into the back for a leak. Could you watch the store for a moment, Vic?"

"No problem, Willie, take your time."

Vic grabbed a doughnut and nibbled in delight while savouring his coffee. Mac studied him.

It got on Vic's nerves.

"Will you cut that out."

"What?" Mac asked as innocently as he could.

"Eat, drink, dance the polka, do something, but stop staring the food out of my mouth."

"This isn't food, Vic; this is instant grease."

"Yeah well, sorry if it isn't lobster; get used to it."

"And here I was hoping you would take me out to a nice, decent restaurant one day."

"For crying out loud." Vic dumped his half-eaten doughnut on the plate. "Can't you even let me eat in peace?"

Mac raised his head and appeared to be thinking. "Nope, you're too much fun to bash."

Coffee only halfway down his throat, Vic coughed. "What?'

"You make it so easy, Vic. You're fun to tease."

"Gee, thanks. I'll remember that one for my resume."

Vic took another doughnut from the plate, and an evil thought crept into his mind. He cast a sideways glance at Mac and then back at the doughnut in his hand. Mac caught his idea.

"Oh no you don't. Vic, Vic?" He started nervously. In the blink of an eye, Vic jumped off his seat and pounced on Mac, who in turn fell on the floor. Vic went down with him, shoving the doughnut in Mac's mouth, laughing in triumph.

"Now this is what I call poetic justice." He crossed his arms in front of his chest, while Mac wiped the chocolate mess from his face, not saying a word.

"Lighten up, Ramsey; you're as easy as I supposedly am. You made me eat that Chinese slush, now you get your encounter with real food." Vic let go of his partner and returned to his seat, calmly going back to eating his doughnut and drinking his coffee in peace. Mac was still lying on the floor, staring back in a mix of disbelief, anger, but mostly amusement. A glint appeared in his eye and spread to his entire face. Mac started to laugh out loud.

"Why, Vic, if only the Director could see you now. I always knew you had a devious streak. Maybe I should tell her. She might leave me alone and move on to you!"

Vic almost choked again.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I'm trying to enjoy my coffee here."

Willie came back and did a quick survey of the situation. Realising what had happened, he started to laugh with Mac.

"It seems that coffee isn't the only thing you guys are enjoying here. You're keeping the place in one piece?"

Willie offered a hand to Mac, who took it and got on his feet.

"I think you have to ask Vic that question, Willie; he is a little bit more aggressive then usual. But I don't mind, you won't believe the things he can do with a beer bottle, carrots and garlic sauce."

Vic nearly choked again during his coughing attack. Willie winked at Mac.

"That much imagination, huh. Vic, I never thought that of all people, you had such hidden depths. But, I have to say, you two look cute together."

Vic finally got his voice back. "Cute? We are not cute, Willie. Mac is nothing short of a demon from hell."

"And you are my little devil, honey." Mac purred. "That is why I love you so much."

Oh, Mac was getting back at him all right. "Willie, would you be so kind as to give me coffee to go? We're in a hurry." His face was reddening with the speed of light.

Willie got some take away cups and kept his huge grin plastered over his face.

"Hormones playing up, Vic? I don't blame you; when you're as happy as the two of you obviously are, I would spend every free minute in bed."

Mac leaned over the counter and whispered in a husky tone, "You've got a dirty mind, Willie."

"I'm sure it's not as dirty as yours." They exchanged winks again. Vic bolted towards the door, taking his cup with him and throwing some bills to cover the cost on the counter.

Mac leisurely walked out, with his hands in his pockets.

"Thanks, Willie, you're a prince."

"Have fun tonight, kiddo."

"Don't worry, I'm sure this will be a night to remember."

***

Back at the truck, Vic climbed into his seat without a word to Mac.

"What is it, Vic? Mad at me again?"

"As a matter a fact, yes! How could you do that to me? I won't be able to show my face at Fat Willie's ever again!"

"Why? Because now he thinks you're gay? Somehow that doesn't strike me as such a big problem for eating doughnuts. Unless of course you were using the place as a pickup for woman, but I doubt that even you are that desperate... You aren't, are you?" Mac sounded unsure.

Vic was irritated. "No! Of course not. It's just that, Mac, now he thinks I'm some thrilling sex bomb."

Mac blinked and started to spasm. It caught Vic off guard; what the hell was going on?

"Mac? Are you okay?"

That did it. Mac blurted out the biggest salvo of laughter he had ever heard. He stared at Mac for a couple of seconds more before he came out of his reverie. The Vic also started to laugh a bit.

"Well, I guess, it is kind of funny. But just a little."

Mac did not stop.

"I can... see it now, Vic... you in some... leather outfit... trying to look cool and dangerous... the male version of the Director." Just when Vic thought Mac had calmed down, he started to laugh again.

"Shut up, Ramsey. It wasn't that funny."

Getting no answer, he just shook his head and started the car again.

"Where to? Ramsey, where are we supposed to go?"

Mac still could not answer because of his laughing streak, but he did give him a note with an address. And to think I could be in my bed, listening to some nice jazz and enjoying myself. If only I hadn't picked up the damn phone.

It took them exactly 20 minutes to reach the given location. Mac had needed half of it to get through his fit of hysterical laughter. At least it was over now. Vic sighed.

The neighbourhood looked dark and menacing, not a good place to hang out during the day and certainly not at 3 o'clock in the morning. What could be going on here that would catch the interest of the Agency?

"Are you sure this is the right address?'

"Yes, Vic, give me some credit here, all right. Besides, this looks like the perfect place for a psycho and his shady dealings."

"You're expecting to find a psycho and shady dealings?" Vic asked sceptically.

Mac threw his arms in the air.

"Vic, can't you at least try to understand a joke when it is made? Lighten up, stop being so boring and walk on the wild side."

"Since when do you enjoy Lou Reed?"

"I give up." He shook his head in mock despair.

Mac got out of the car and moved closer to the abandoned house further down the street. Vic did the same after locking his truck very carefully. It would just be his luck if it was dismantled or stolen when they came back. He could just imagine the look on Mac's face if that happened. The house seemed to be made of wood, but a closer look revealed concrete behind the wood that had fallen off. They crouched a little bit nearer.

"Do you see anything, Mac?'

"No, do you?"

"Not really. Perhaps we should stay here for a while to see if there are any comings and goings. Maybe your psycho will turn up."

"Do you actually want to sit here and wait around?" Mac sounded amazed.

"It would be the sensible thing to do."

Mac grinned and a very disturbing gleam appeared in his eye. "Well, you do keep telling me that I am not sensible."

Suddenly he got up and ran to the house. Vic inwardly cursed and went after him. He was not that far behind, but he couldn't see Mac anymore since he had disappeared around the corner. When Vic followed and peeked down the way Mac had gone, a dark garden was revealed. It looked like some scene out of a horror movie. Almost every bush, tree and plant was dead. The branches of the trees slumped down as if they were reaching out for something to grab.

Careful not to step on any dead twigs, Vic manoeuvred through the garden. The shadows were playing tricks on his mind.

"Mac! Where are you?" Vic whispered and was pissed, again. The night being darker then usually, new moon and all, no way they could see each other, and Mac didn't answer. Damn! Where did that loud mouthed idiot go this time? Vic kept on peering through the dark, hoping to get a glimpse of something that remotely looked like his partner. The only thing that greeted him was a white cat that ran after a bird or a mouse Vic couldn't see. That kind of vision would come in handy right now. He had reached the end of the garden. There was nowhere to go but into the house. Damn! It was too dangerous. Mac had most likely just gone into the house, but if he went after him, he would be going in blind. After all, he had no way of knowing just where in the house the kid had gone. Hearing some rustling behind him, he turned around with his guns in his hand. Even if it was the cat again, he didn't want to take any chances. He felt like shooting first and asking questions later. Then he felt a sharp pain, and everything went black.

A soft voice in the distance. "Vic, Vic, can you hear me?"

"Mac?"

"Yeah, open your eyes and behold our glorious new accommodations."

Doing as Mac told him to, he saw that they were sitting in a cage. He got up to check the surroundings— bars, concrete walls, and a TV hanging outside the cage that displayed the inside of the cage. Vic tested the strength of the bars, pulling as if he could stretch them.

"Don't bother, Vic. It's solid steel, but at least we have our own TV, although one of the actors is a little bit boring," Mac stated dryly.

"You mean the young, tall, moron who got us into this mess?"

"Me? Hey, man, you're the one who dropped your guard and got himself captured! The least you could have done was get me out."

Vic rolled his eyes. This was so like Mac. "Yeah, that does sound like my full time job. I take it somebody banged you on the head? Have you figured out what this place is?" Vic changed the subject.

"No, the Director told me to get you and go to this address at night because of some strange business that was conducted here."

"Well, it is strange..." Mac made his 'Duh' expression at Vic.

"Thanks, Vic, I hadn't noticed... At least we can get inside information."

"Smart thinking, Mac. Especially since we can't tell anybody what we find."

"That could change. I am a thief you know."

"One that gets caught time and time again," Vic answered in a low tone of voice.

"What was that, Vic? Anyway, I haven't seen anybody since I woke up."

"And when was that."

Mac shrugged. "About five minutes ago."

"Wow, so that means you've spent a whole five minutes awake and nobody came in? You must feel so neglected," Vic replied in his best sarcastic tone.

"Shut up, Mansfield." Further away a door could be heard opening. Footsteps approached them. Eagerly Mac looked at Vic and pointed at the door.

"Vic! You've got your wish. They were waiting for you to wake up!" Mac made his comeback.

"Cut it out, Ramsey." Every time he thought he had the kid down, he made a comeback. There was the sound of scratching metal, and the door opened. A tall man with brown hair and eyes came through, wearing a trench coat.

"What's this?" Mac whispered. "Diller's twin?" Before Vic could answer, the guy turned around as he shook the trench coat. "Hello, gentlemen. I knew I would find you in some shadowy project, 'Victor'. It must run in your black, treacherous veins."

"What? What the hell are you talking about. Who are you anyway?!" Vic almost yelled, losing his temper again, confusion written all over his face. The guy stalked to the cage, a maniacal glint in his eye, and stopped inches away from Vic, separated only by the bars.

"Who I am is not important to your 'partner'. However, who you are is."

Mac shuffled around and tried to be attract his attention. He never did like to be ignored. "Hey! What about me? Cue me in all right! Are you an angry Jehovah's witness or something?" All Mac got was a derisive look. Then the man turned and went to sit down and started looking at them while eating sunflower seeds. Vic stayed in his spot, locked in a staring contest with the big nosed guy.

It was bound to frustrate the hell out of Mac. "Could we at least do something that's useful? You know; yelling, trading insults, escaping... playing monopoly?"

Finally he got some attention from the guy, although he kept his focus on Vic. "You want some entertainment?" The kind of tone the man used wasn't what Mac had hoped for. He looked uneasily over to Vic, who still looked as pissed as hell and red as his truck, seemingly oblivious to the guy's intentions. Not that he knew what they were himself, but he somehow knew they weren't good.

"Get your backs to the cell." A gun came out, a Glock as far as Mac could see. Government issue. Was this some test from the Agency? No, it wasn't their style. The man opened the cage door. "Well, 'Victor', come out, come out." He bared his teeth in a very psychotic manner. Vic was obviously getting tired of the entire thing too. This was a very good time for Mac to say one word... Shit. He had a bad feeling about this. The guy looked as unstable as Dobrinsky had after Mac had put sugar in the gasoline tank of one of his cars. Once Vic was out of the cage, he was slammed against the wall and the cage was closed before Mac had a chance to do something about it. He knew he couldn't do anything, but somehow he felt he had to contribute something. "If you hurt my partner in any way, I'll make you pay, bastard!" He tried to look impressive and nearly attacked the bars of the cage.

The man hit Vic with the back of his Glock, square on his face. He didn't faint, but blood came sprinkling down his jaw. "You mean like this, hot shot? And what are you going to do about it, scum?"

The only thing Mac could do was watch, helplessly.

In no time Vic was chained to the wall. The man acted like he knew what he was doing. "Remember Tunguska, Krycek?" He ripped off Vic's shirt, revealing a smooth back, marked with a couple of scars. Probably from his time as a cop. "Yeah, I guess you do." Trailing his fingers over Vic's muscles and left arm.

Mac clenched his jaw and fists; that guy really had no right to touch Vic like that. "I figured you'd get your arm back. A mutation perhaps? Some trade off with the rebels? Or was it the Consortium again? Do you even remember which side you play on, or do you keep a little black book: which side I'm on this week." A punch to Vic's lower abdomen followed. Vic wheezed, his head pulled back by the hair. Mac could see that Vic tried to talk with some dignity, but the tremor came through his voice, betraying his pain. "I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know a Krycek or any rebels. I..." He was interrupted by a second punch that must have broken a rib because a definite crack was heard in the small room. That really did it. This was just too much.

"Oh come on, man! He doesn't know any of those people! Get away from him, you creep."

The man crooked his head to look at Mac. "Can't stand it? The feeling of being helpless while your partner is hurting? Seeing her in pain and then when you're on the verge of helping, seeing a bullet run through her head, splattering her brains all over your couch and clothes?" The last words came out in short sobs. "Don't know how that feels? No? Well, kid, I promise you that you'll be wishing for that experience because what I'm going to do to her murderer," pointing his Glock casually at Vic, "is going to be a work of bloody art. I'm sure you'll appreciate it. I'll make sure it will be very 'entertaining'..."

Shit, Vic, what have you gotten into this time. "He's not a murderer, man. He's incapable of doing anything immoral, and murder ranks high on his not to do list!"

Vic groaned, in his typical, obvious way, but the psycho fell for it. Vic was goading the man to walk towards him again. "Hurting, Krycek? Good. After all, I've only just begun."

Without warning, Vic bucked his head back, slamming it into the man's face. Blood spurted out of his nose and mouth, and he raved, letting loose with a tirade of curses. Bad move, Vic. At least Mac thought it was... The man cleaned up his face and was his psychopathic, calm and collected self again.

He shot a cold glare at Vic and Mac. He was definitely up to something. "First we're going to get acquainted again... Krycek."

Vic shook his head. Although he was facing the wall, he tried to turn around to look the man in the eyes. "I don't know who this Krycek guy is, but I have nothing to do with him. My name is Victor

Mans..." He was cut off by another blow to his ribcage.

"You can't fool me with this clean guy routine of yours. This is your cover, isn't it? You needed a new identity and this is it. I know how you operate. How you function. This comes in handy, a job that pays and protects you. But I know who you are. You lie your way into everything. From jobs to lovers..."

"I'm an ex-cop. Son of Gerard and Mary Mansfield. I never had another identity in my life." Vic sounded confused.

The man leaned and whispered in Vic's ear, loudly enough for Mac to hear. "Why sell yourself short? You're not a cop. You're the real thing... a 'G-man'... my ex-partner who sold me out to the Consortium, remember... Why just an ex-cop while you're a murdering, triple spy, Ratbastard who sells himself to the highest bidder!"

Mac couldn't believe his ears. "Are you nuts? Vic wouldn't be able to spy on boy scouts, let alone be a triple agent! Now I know you're insane."

The man started to laugh and moved to Mac. "He has really gotten to you, hasn't he? I know the feeling. Thinking you can trust him, depending on him, until one day he stabs you in the back. And let me tell you, it doesn't feel that great." He giggled insanely and skipped a little. God that guy's unstable. "And because of that, I am going back to what I wanted to do." He actually looked psychopathically happy when he got to the corner of the room, leaving Vic still hopelessly hanging against the wall. Blood had dripped down his chest, and his head was rubbing against his shoulder as he tried to wipe the blood from his face with a lot of effort.

Mac was scared for him. He couldn't pick the lock, beat that guy up or offer comfort. He hated situations like this. Well, Vic probably hated it even more, but that was beside the point.

The man opened a metal door in the wall, which showed a burning furnace. What the hell... Then it dawned on him what the guy was planning to do. "Oh God! Are you freaking nuts!"

The man didn't bother with a reply, busy retrieving a hot poker with thick gloves. Smiling unpleasantly, he walked over to the cage, whistling Stairway to Heaven, and taunted Mac with the torture device. Vic started to tremble in obvious distress. The psychopath waved the poker in front of Mac. "Is this entertaining enough for you... hot shot?" He let out a freaky laugh again and stalked over to Vic. He lifted the poker and let it hover over Vic's face, just inches away from his skin. Vic was sweating heavily and showed signs of fear. Mac had never seen him scared before. He was the trusted pillar of their little triangle. Even the Director knew that. Damn it! The guy made his move, shoving the thing squarely onto Vic's back. Vic screamed heartbreakingly. Skin sizzled, leaving an awful smell of burned flesh. Almost like a really disturbing barbecue. The man laughed out loud the entire time, occasionally singing the annoying tune, and the burning continued.

It seemed ages to Mac as he dug his nails into the palms of his hands. He didn't think that anything could get to him anymore. Not since the things he had seen in Hong Kong and prison, but now he realized he knew nothing. He felt like crying. Crying like Vic was. God, his steady, trustworthy rock was crying. The guy went back to the furnace, putting the poker back, only to retrieve a second one. It was differently shaped, but the effect was the same. Vic was making heaving sounds now, almost like he wanted to throw up but couldn't. The poker came down on his back again, leaving Vic to scream for the second time. The torture had already taken so much out of him that the sound was raw and earth shattering. If Mac had thought the first one was bad, this was hell. O God, what if there is a third?! As if the guy had heard his thoughts, he went back to the furnace, leaving a barely conscious Vic behind. He put down the poker and grabbed a cup of water, throwing it in Vic's face.

"Stay conscious, Krycek, or I might take a liking to your partner. Not that you would mind, of course, but you need him to take care of you, for now." The maniacal smile was back.

Vic blinked his eyes, as if trying to hold back tears of pain. His face covered in sweat, he tried to stand up against the wall, bracing for the next brutal assault. Then Mac's worst fears came to life. There was indeed a third. The man took the third poker from the furnace and made a show of it while stalking towards his victim, winking at Mac.

"Like the entertainment so far, slick?"

Mac swallowed his rising tears and fear away and tried to sound as casual as he could manage.

"Not really, the host is a real disappointment."

"Well, we can't have everything." The guy looked at Mac and smiled unnervingly as he put the poker on Vic's back. This time he barely screamed, as if all the life had been drained from him. Mac looked away, no longer able to watch the display before him.

Finally the man backed off, and Vic slumped as far down as the shackles would let him. The psycho stood still and stared greedily, mesmerized, at Vic's back, smiling with satisfaction. The stench in the small room was almost unbearable, and the sight of Vic's scarred back was sickening, but the psychopathic maniac didn't seem to care. He positively beamed with pride.

"Now you're branded for life, Krycek. Quite a work of art if I may say so." Still eyeing his work, he threw a bucket of water over Vic's back. Vic let out a muffled whimper, but without any conviction or resistance left in it. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did that hurt? After all the trouble I went through to get you real salt water."

Mac winced at the reddening skin and realized what the man had done. The burning had a pattern. It spelled a word, 'Rat'.

"Get back to the wall again, hot shot." Releasing Vic from his chains, the man dragged his limp body to the cage and started to open the door. Mac tensed his muscles. This was it, his chance, or so he thought.

"Don't try anything, hot shot. If you do, I'll kill your 'partner' before you can kill me."

And that was it. No chance at all. After the door had closed again, Mac rushed over to Vic's side. Eyeing the bruised and beaten body, he decided on the best course of action. He quickly took off his shirt, a very expensive blue silk one, and used it as a washcloth. He began wiping the sweat from Vic's face and using his shirt to blot the swollen skin on his body. His partner appeared to be barely conscious.

"Vic, Vic, can you hear me? Come on, man, don't do this to me."

"I'm the one who is blessed by his attention, Ramsey. Stop complaining," Vic snapped, obviously hurting, but awake and still with it. Mac let out a sigh of relief and quickly returned to his old self. Letting Vic see how scared he was wouldn't help in the least.

"I was worried; sorry if that offends you."

Vic tried to get up but obviously lacked the strength.

"Here, let me help." Mac helped him, unconsciously letting his hand trail over the battered body, but careful to avoid the brand marks themselves. Even with the wounds on his back, he had the muscles of a Greek hero. God, he is beautiful. No, he wouldn't mind a date with Vic at all. Mac was happy to notice that Vic moved closer to him, letting Mac offer him comfort while grabbing his hand to squeeze, shuddering with the first signs of shock. Suddenly Mac began to have very disturbing, unwelcome thoughts, and reactions, to Vic. He had never seen him with his defences down. It was compelling, attractive and erotic as hell. He started to stroke Vic's hair and slowly put his head in his lap, carefully avoiding his groin; Vic had enough to deal with right now.

Careful not to startle Vic, he whispered, "Do you have any idea who this maniac is?... Vic?" Vic didn't answer. He seemed to be sleeping. Mac let his hand trail over Vic's face, his thumb making circles over his cheek. Vic did respond subtly, whether he was consciously aware of it or not, fluttering his eyelashes and quivering his perfectly curved mouth intently.

Vic let out a shaky sigh. "Don't leave me."

Mac couldn't determine if Vic was dreaming or not.

"Don't worry, Mansfield. I wouldn't leave even if you forced me to listen to your crappy music all day long. Besides, it's kind of hard with those bars."

A slight smile tugged at Vic's lips. Mac did the same.

"I thought you said you were a good thief."

The bright green eyes opened to send a shock through Mac's body. Vic pushed himself up, letting Mac's hand fall down his back. Their faces were close, not touching. Vic looked at him intently as if he was trying to probe his mind. Then he spoke again, his breath flowing into Mac's parted mouth.

"How long have you wanted me? Don't worry, I'm really not homophobic, you know."

Mac froze and was stunned for a moment before he could speak. Vic was behaving very... unlike Vic. He was actually perceptive for once and not acting like the naive ex-cop he knew. And well, interested in men was the total opposite of how he had always pictured beautiful but boring Vic.

"I, Vic, I..."

Vic put his finger on Mac's lips, silencing him.

"Sssh, it's okay, don't worry, I understand. It happens, but I need somebody right now, Mac. I can't do this alone. I need my partner. Please try to keep your anger at this guy under control. You're the one who has to be cool now. I... I think I'll lose it when that guy comes back again..."

The misery on Vic's face made Mac's heart leap as he acted on this leap of faith. He caught Vic's face between his hands. "You would never lose it,' Vic. If it hadn't been for your heroic and calculated acts, I would be dead or still a street punk on the run from the Director. I'm the hot head, remember. I liked you at first. Now... You and Li Ann are the only reasons I stayed. Now I've only one reason. You've shown me a lot. You both have."

"Don't get soppy on me, Ramsey. It isn't like you."

Mac let his hands drop like as if he had been burned until he saw the glint in Vic's eye. He smiled. "Well, you were the one that had to go all 'opening up guy' on me."

Vic smiled back. "Thanks." And he leaned in to plant a soft kiss on Mac's lips. It was sweet and masculine at the same time. It turned Mac to mush in no time. Damn, this man can kiss.

Mac moaned and then Vic's tongue slipped into his mouth. Tasting him, lapping lazily at the insides of his lips, his mouth and stroking his tongue. Vic's hands stroked his face and ears and petted his hair lovingly. Li Ann, why did you let him go?! At the moment Mac thought he would burst, Vic broke the kiss smiling angelically. Mac tried to get his breathing under control, while Vic seemed to be having no trouble with that part at all. Mac shook his head and took Vic's hand again, settling him against his chest.

"You're a son of a bitch, Vic."

"You can do better then that; I've been called far worse."

"Do I even want to know about your sordid past?" Mac chuckled, thinking of Vic's Ivy.

"What could be worse then the present? I'm owned, stamped and checked by the Director and her weirdo squad, remember. Besides, every time my past catches up with me, it gets down and dirty. Come to think of it. Now, even the past of other guys catches up on me." He wiggled his fingers through Mac's hair, and planted another kiss on his forehead.

"You're a good kisser Ramsey." So this is what they meant by 'it's always the quiet types.' Vic closed his eyes, hands lying in his lap, leaning against the wall. Mac caught his shoulders and dragged him against his chest, wrapping his arms around Vic in a friendly, comforting manner, still not touching his wounds. They sat like that for hours, all the while unaware of the trench coat man who secretly watched them.

Mac realized he had fallen asleep when he heard the door open again. "Waky, waky!" a familiar someone said. Mac stirred, forgetting he was holding Vic against his chest. His reaction caused Vic some pain, and he grunted, their private little world shattered. Mac realized how this looked like to the psycho and understood the implications. The guy would use this new-found knowledge against them. He quickly helped Vic to sit up, all the while trying to keep the wounds from starting to bleed again. Vic was back in angry mode again, staring, eyes full of hatred, at the man standing in front of their cage.

"Come to beat me again?"

"Why? Do you want me to?" the man asked with a malicious smile.

"I don't think you care that much what I want. You seem to do whatever you want anyway."

The man stood in front of the bars. "And here I thought you weren't smart, Krycek." Mac rolled his eyes. The maniac's 'friendly' bantering was becoming irritating. The man made a show of going to the big rocking chair, sitting down and opening another bag of sunflower seeds. He let out an audible sigh as if trying to let them know he was bored and about to do something about it. "As you probably know, Krycek, I have this fondness for watching special events. So I'm going to present your partner Mac with a golden opportunity, which I'm sure he has dreamed of for a long time. A. I could go back to torturing you again or B. He fucks you."

The casual remark made Vic choke on the water he was drinking, leaving Mac to hurry to his side and try to help him. He franticly started to think about their options. He couldn't possibly let Vic be tortured like that again. He looked like a wreck now, not to mention his mental state, and after a second session there would be nothing left. But he also would never comply with option 'B'. If the Director ever found out or God forbid, Li Ann... Besides, Vic was the romantic, private type. At least that's what he had always thought. If he did this, he would have to do it right, and right now Vic wasn't thinking clearly. The kiss, that was still vivid in his mind, proved that. He acted very unlike Vic. Which was, of course, logical since he was under strain from his torture, shock and fear. A battle raged inside Mac. What would Vic do if he was in his right mind? Fortunately for Mac, Vic had already made his decision.

He whispered in Mac's ear, "Mac, if you could, if you are able, I would like to take option B. Do you think you're up to it?" Desperate green eyes and husky voice went straight to Mac's groin again. Definitely not homophobic then. This was not the kind of reaction he wanted to have towards Vic. However, somehow, now it was convenient. Vic probably wasn't thinking about the consequences, and it was Mac's job now to think for both of them. If they ever got out of this mess, Vic would probably kill Mac for this, but then again, it was for his own good. And mine. Without any further reply he nodded and slowly closed his mouth on Vic's, kissing his mouth with the love and caring he knew Vic needed so much. Hell, he never let a free fuck get away, but this was different, not to mention perverse. Vic would not be a free fuck. This one would be life threatening. A mistake waiting to happen. But what choice was there anyway? His mind and body urged him back to his task again. Kissing, he was actually kissing Vic. His male partner. He took Vic's head between his hands, careful not to hurt him in any way. He started to plant butterfly kisses all over his face, trying to make him feel at ease.

"Hey! No romantic ventures here. This is my time. I want to see it rough and fast. Hurt him or I will, and that will be a lot worse, believe me, buddy."

A tube of some kind of lube was thrown in the cage. Judging by the weight and size of the tube, it wouldn't be enough to do it without hurting Vic. Most likely, that was what that guy had in mind. Seedy prick.

"You don't have much of a sex life, have you? I mean, this is fairly desperate. Are you one of those guys who jerks off on his couch alone at night?"

'Seedy' threw half a bag of sunflowers against the bar and barked with his mouth full of them. "Start stripping. Both of you," he ordered while chewing on his seeds.

Stealing a quick glance at his partner, Mac started to undress. Vic was having problems and stood against the wall, chest heaving. He was still fumbling with his pants when Mac was ready. He didn't know what worried him more. The fact that Vic could see how hard he already was at the thought of screwing his partner or that Vic didn't even have the strength left to get out of his pants. Ignoring his body, he crouched in front of Vic and brushed his hands away. He obliged and let his head sink back against the wall, eyes closed, giving himself to Mac. It took a moment to get him as stark naked as Mac was, but it was worth it. How he had wanted to be someplace else and right here at the same time. The only trouble was that Vic was not aroused. A small voice inside Mac said hurtful things. He knew he couldn't expect anything from Vic, but still. This would be... What exactly? When he stood up, he stole a glance at the psycho guy. He was still grinning. Probably drools all over the carpet when watching porn videos.

Vic opened his eyes to look straight at Seedy. Somehow the guy knew where to look. He acted as if he enjoyed seeing Vic in distress, more then seeing him in pain.

"You think I am this Krycek guy, but now you want to see this... Vulgar display. What's this all about? You want to re-enact something? You were lovers?"

Furiously the man got up. "Shut up, Krycek! Lovers? Like hell, we're more then that. You know that, damn you!!" In seconds he was in front of the cage again. He hesitated, looking at them both with lust and something else. "Get on with it." It was the end of the conversation.

Mac put his hand on Vic's back and pushed him to his knees, talking quietly in his ear. "Listen, Vic, we've got to make this look good if we want to get out of this. I'm going to hurt you and I'm sorry, but that's just the only way."

"Just do it, Mac, fast and rough like he wants it."

Mac used the lube to spread on his own dick, but just as he had thought, there was nothing left for Vic's preparation. He started to think about using pre come but a look at the guy with the seeds told him that that would only get Vic another beating or worse. The guy could be thinking of doing it himself and something told him that that would not be any better than the torture. Positioning his dick in front of Vic's ass, he spread the ass-cheeks and put his cock head at the entrance. Carefully he started to push in until the seedy man shouted, "One shove! Don't be such a sissy, he can take it. One shove!" His face was as flushed and hot as Mac felt.

He waited one moment to let Vic prepare for the onslaught and shoved all the way in. Vic went rigid but didn't let a sound escape from his throat. Strangely, it disturbed Mac a bit, so he started to whisper in Vic's ear, fighting to keep still inside him.

"Come on, Mansfield, work with me here, grunt or yell, he has got to be convinced. Vic?"

Mac didn't dare stop too long, but he couldn't just 'do Vic' without some sign of life from him. A sign of surrender to his passion. Mac shuddered with pleasure and had a hard time keeping his mind on the matter at hand. He was sinking and not only on a mental level. Seedy made a strange sound and spit out a sunflower seed at them. With that gesture and signal, Mac pulled almost all the way out and shoved back into Vic's body, hard. He moved his right hand to Vic's face to caress his cheek, while starting a steady rhythm, only to discover blood on Vic's mouth. Quit likely, he was biting on his lip or tongue to keep from screaming. Damn, I am hurting him. Mac tried to urge him and keep his own desires under control.

"Scream, damn you! Let go, Vic."

One look at Seedy told Mac that he was right; Vic had to scream some bit. He decided to take matters into his own hands, so to speak. He moved his right hand to Vic's cock and squeezed, not that gently, while at the same time plunging extremely roughly into his body. That was what it took to make Vic finally release a soft sob and anguished cry.

Mac hoped that that was enough. Vic's cock was still as limp as it was at the beginning, but Mac didn't dare pleasure his partner in any way, for that would annoy the trenchcoat guy to no end. So he let his hand creep back to Vic's face and held his left hand in a bruising grip on Vic's hip. The whole time it lasted Mac felt like the sick fuck he knew Seedy had to be. He was putting Vic through hell, but he felt like he was in heaven. His case with the transsexuals was satisfying, but this, this was electrifying and hot. He had never realized he had this kinky, perverse side, and he hated and loved it at the same time.

Maybe the psycho had known this about him, studied him with Vic earlier and wanted to break him like this. He didn't care for the motives or reasons, not while he was fucking the most gorgeous man he had ever met. And he is mine for the moment. Eat your heart out, Li Ann, he thought with a happy bitterness. Mac felt his pleasure build up to new heights, and he exploded inside Vic, screaming his name. He came while his partner cursed and screamed because of the final harsh treatment he had gotten from Mac. He broke down on the floor, seemingly unconscious, letting Mac slip out of his body while still spurting his seed.

The man with the seeds applauded slowly while rising to stand and smiled a psychopathic smile.

"You've got one hour to get yourselves together. Then I want another show."

Mac couldn't believe his ears. Vic didn't stir from the ground.

"What? You said..."

"I said nothing. I said it was this or the torture. It's still your choice. I'm going to... take care of my own... business."

"Yeah, thanks for the information... psycho."

Laughing harshly, the man walked away, leaving Vic and Mac alone again. Getting his act together again, Mac turned to Vic. He was bleeding from his ass, and the wounds on his back had opened up again. Mac cringed at the sight of it. He walked over to the other side of the cage to get his torn shirt and soaked it in the water bowl that Seedy had put in the cage earlier. Vic still didn't acknowledge him. It wasn't clear to Mac if Vic was conscious or not, but he closed the distance between them as he would approach a wounded animal. He put his hand on Vic's left shoulder with all the softness and love he could muster. Vic stirred and shook it off. Finally he showed some sign of life. Backing off, Mac waited for him to turn around. When it didn't happen, it got on his nerves and made him feel guilty. It looked like he had to take the first step.

"Look, Vic, it's not my fault; you asked for it."

Vic spun around, almost falling against the wall, his face as white as death, looking vehemently in Mac's eyes.

"No, I didn't. I didn't ask to be kidnapped by a crazy psychopath who has a bizarre sex life and hates a guy he thinks is me. I didn't ask to be branded, hit or spit on!"

Mac put up his hands defensively. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I'm in this too and I'm dealing as well as I can. Don't blame me for this guy's actions."

"That's not it, Mac. You liked it. You actually liked it!" Vic spat at him, sounding angry and desperate at the same time.

"What do you want me to say? I can't help my bodily reactions, Vic. I want to help you, but there isn't any other way." Mac tried to be as soothing as he could.

Vic closed his eyes and calmed his erratic breathing. "Well, at least we found a new way to spend time together."

"What?" He opened his eyes again, letting Mac stare into a sea of green.

"I'd like to enjoy it too, you know." And there they were, sitting naked in a cage. One man holding a torn, wet shirt, the other one branded and covered in bruises. The situation was so insane Mac couldn't help but smile. Vic followed his example, though more mildly due to his injuries. Incredible but true, Vic's cock started to rise. What had set that off?

"I don't know if this is a good idea, Vic. You should be resting. I want to be your friend but..."

Vic cut him off. "Don't say it's too complicated, Ramsey, or I swear I'll kill you where you stand."

It amazed Mac every time just how passionate Vic really was.

"That's not what I wanted to say, Vic. It's just, well, I don't think you're with the program here. You're acting irrationally and to be frank, very unstable."

"Unstable? Have you got any idea how difficult it is to act rationally in a situation like this? How am I supposed to act?"

Mac moved closer to sit next to Vic, his hand creeping up his thigh.

"I don't know how you're supposed to act. You're the expert at what is and isn't done in the moral world."

"I hate to break it to you ,Mac, but we're not in Kansas anymore."

Mac closed his hand around Vic's cock. He gasped.

"What does that make me? Dorothy?"

Vic moaned and thrust into Mac's hand. His voice sounded strangled. "More like Toto. Always at my heels when I least expect it."

That sounded like an invitation if he had ever heard one. Mac leaned down and delicately licked the area around the beautiful, erect cock.

"But what beautiful heels they are." He engulfed the cock head and lightly pushed his tongue under the foreskin. Vic shuddered in seeming delight. He brought in his hands to give Vic maximum delight. He usually used his fingers to stroke his partner's prostate, but right now pushing his fingers into Vic's already sore ass wouldn't be wise. The heaven Mac had experienced earlier came crashing back down on him. Vic tasted like he thought he would and was as responsive as hell. He idly wondered what it would be like to be screwed by him. Having those hands stroke his hips, his nipples. Having him bite his shoulder in passion, crying out his name as he spilled his essence inside Mac's body. It excited him to no end, and he grew hard rapidly. Ignoring it, Mac continued his task with sheer devotion. Now and then he shot a glance at Vic, whose eyes fluttered, not opening. His mouth was slightly open, panting and letting out gasps of pleasure. One of his long legs had come around to stroke Mac's ass, his heel digging into the crack. His hands were on Mac's head, not pushing him, but lovingly stroking and tangling his fingers through the unruly curls. It didn't last long enough for Mac, but when Vic came, it felt like thunder roaring down a tidal wave of emotions. He didn't scream out Mac's name but mumbled unintelligible words while his semen was spurting into Mac's mouth. It was almost too much for him to swallow. It had been a while since he had done this for another man, but it was sweet nonetheless.

When he had drunk every drop Vic had to offer, he let the limp cock slip out of his mouth and sighed. This had been heaven, welcome back to hell.

Then the door burst open, and Dobrinsky came in. He had a stern look on his face, which started to lighten up as soon as he saw Vic and Mac. Behind him Camier and Murphy followed, making a more dramatic entrance, which always seemed so important to the Cleaners. Dobrinsky ignored them, put his gun away and walked over to the bars. Seeing Vic, his face cringed a bit. Then the smile came back, and his gaze settled on Mac. "Well, Ace, gotten yourself and your partner in trouble again? You seem to be having fun."

Mac couldn't think of a time he was more relieved at seeing someone than now. "Dobie! I never thought I would say this, but it's actually good to see you."

"Would you mind saying that again on tape? I would love to have a reminder of this occasion."

"Not a chance, man. Can you get us out? Vic needs medical attention, bad."

"You captor refused to tell us the location of the key. We can't find it either."

Dobrinsky started to let his eyes wonder over Vic's body. He showed genuine concern. Mac had never seen that kind of look on his face. The Cleaners moved up beside him, eyeing Vic with interest.

"Medieval torture. One of the classics," Murphy remarked.

"Yes, but notice the outer region. Very sloppily done. Obviously not an artist." Camier snorted in contempt.

"Obviously," Murphy agreed.

Dobrinsky had found the iron that had been used on Vic's back and put it between the lock and the cage. With leverage it might be enough to crack the lock open. Dobrinsky grunted as he strained his big body against the cage.

"Hey, Dobie, not that I'm complaining, but why don't you just shoot the lock off?" Mac asked.

Murphy and Camier stood still, side by side, like the blood brothers they were, although Mac suspected there was more going on than simply the camaraderie between two assassins.

"If I tried to shoot the lock off, the bullet could bounce off the metal, Ace. So if you wouldn't mind, I'd rather try this method."

"Or you could give me a key?"

That stopped the big black man. "You think you can open this thing?"

"Hey, I am a thief." He shrugged and smiled.

"Yes, Ace, that's what got you into our little family in the first place." Dobrinsky grinned back. He dropped the makeshift crowbar and looked around for something small. When he didn't find anything and started to grunt in frustration, Camier and Murphy shared a very suspicious look. Then, Murphy reached into his vest pocket to get a small, metal device. It shimmered in the dim light of the light bulb that was hanging from the ceiling.

"Would this suffice, Mr. Ramsey?" Murphy moved from his place to give the item to Mac and went back to stand beside his partner.

"Please be careful with it. It was a gift from dear Camier and is quite irreplaceable."

Mac eyed it with interest. It looked like a tiepin, solid gold with a diamond handle, but if it was, one wouldn't hide it inside a vest pocket. Somehow his hands did something to it and a very sharp, long pin whooshed out, grazing his hand.

"Damn! You could have warned me."

Camier spoke in his famous casual tone. "You have found its purpose. Why should we elaborate the obvious?"

"Right," Mac muttered and raised his eyebrow while his lips tightened. He cast one look at Vic, who was still lying on the floor, unconscious. That image alone made him work harder, and he shoved the pin into the lock. The angle was a little bit off and caused him some discomfort, but it was worth it. Before long the lock sprang open, and a sigh of relief escaped his lips.

"Dobie, can you get me some water? I have to try and get Vic to wake up before the medics come in. He wouldn't want to lie here helpless. You know how he gets."

"No problem, Ace, there is a water supply around the corner. Give me the bowl."

The man left, not showing any sign of knowing what had transpired between Vic and Mac, but he wasn't stupid. He had to suspect something; Vic's body and Mac's reactions said enough. Mac sat on his heels beside his partner. Vic looked so vulnerable and sweet. Mac pushed a stray hair from Vic's eyes, not really caring if the Cleaners saw him do it or not. He eased his partner on his lap, not letting his eyes leave his face. Dobrinsky came back with the bowl filled with water.

"Listen, Ace, maybe it would be smarter to call the medics. He really looks bad."

"No! He can't take that. He needs to have some time to adjust."

Dobrinsky put his hands up in a defensive manner.

"All right, he is your partner, so you probably know best. Do you need any help?"

"No, just, could you leave us alone for a minute? I'm sure I can bring him around. We will walk out of here. He will not be going on a stretcher."

Dobrinsky nodded his consent and left. The Cleaners followed him with grace.

Mac reached for the bowl that Dobrinsky had left next to him. The man had found some sort of cloth. It looked a lot cleaner then his overly used shirt, so he used that. Lovingly, he wiped the sweat from Vic's face, bringing coolness to the hot, fevered face. I will make sure that you're okay, Vic. No one will hurt you again.

"Vic? If you can hear me, try to open your eyes."

Slowly the long eyelashes stirred. With obvious difficulty, Vic opened his eyes. Upon seeing Mac, he smiled.

"What happened?"

"You passed out on me. You really had me worried, lover boy."

"Well, you did give one hell of a blow job. My body can take only so much. After all, I am an older

guy... sweet cheeks."

"Okay, now that is a disgusting nickname. Could you do any worse?"

"Should I?"

"Come to think of it, no. Vic, listen, the rescue squad has come. They caught the psycho and are waiting outside. Do you think you can walk?"

Vic struggled to sit upright, and Mac eased his hold on the man.

"I'm sore as hell and I feel like shit, but walking will be better then being removed from a cell by the goon squad."

Mac grinned. "That's what I told Dobie."

Vic looked startled. "Dobrinsky is here? I mean, he has been in here?" He pointed to their surroundings.

Mac understood. "Yes, but I am sure he will keep his mouth shut, Vic. He left with the Cleaners as soon as they had helped me open the door."

Now he looked absolutely horrified. "The Cleaners were here too?!"

Mac started to rub Vic's tense shoulders and back.

"Calm down, Vic. It's not that bad."

"How can you say that, Mac!" Vic hissed. "I am going to be a laughing stock to half the Agency and pitied by the other half. I don't want that! I just want to forget." His eyes looked so damn vulnerable again, as if Mac could clean up the mess Seedy had made.

"I am sorry, Vic, but you know this won't just disappear. I for one can't just live with this as if nothing had happened and go back to the way things were. I'm not really like that, Vic. Sure I have casual sexual affairs, but this is not one of them. You're not only my partner; you're also my friend, and this is not a normal situation. It's pretty freaky. If somebody else finds out, we can't change that. It sucks but it happens. We do have a say in this; we can change our relationship."

Something in Vic's eyes shifted for a moment. He looked dead serious.

"There is no us, Mac. I just can't make any promises right now. I am sorry too, but that's the way it is. I have too much to deal with right now, and I can't deal with you too. Just give me some room and time, and maybe we'll talk about this later."

He stood up with some difficulty and started to drag himself towards the exit, leaving a hurt and baffled Mac behind. He whispered before he got up.

"Oh, we will talk about it, Vic. You can clam up as much as you want to, but I'll get you to open up. I'm not going to be dumped. Not after this." He quickly caught up with Vic and supported him without a further word.

Outside the building, Dobrinsky seemed to be waiting for them as he hurried to Vic's side to take his other arm. Together they walked towards the group of people and the ambulance that was probably waiting to take Vic to the Agency's facilities. The Director was standing near a black, shady looking car with smoke swirling out of the tinted window. She was talking to the occupant and turned her head as soon as Mac and Vic came into her line of sight. One more word was directed into the car, and her serious expression lightened up a little bit as she approached the two lost agents. She put a hand on Vic's shoulder.

"Are you all right, Victor? We wouldn't want you damaged after all the effort we have put into your rehabilitation." Vic didn't say a word, so Mac cut in.

"Gee, thanks for the concern. What took you so long?"

"Somehow you forgot to tell us you were going in, Mac. I seem to remember saying something about not going in there but just investigate and report back to me?"

Mac nervously shot a look at Vic, but he showed a faint smile; good, he wasn't angry.

"You remember saying that? Funny, because I really don't remember hearing it."

That made her laugh.

"Just try to remember it the next time an assignment like this comes up. The Director always knows best."

"Yes, mom."

She smiled and turned her back to them to walk away, leaving Dobrinsky to handle the matter at hand.

While still having his eyes locked on the Director, Mac felt Vic stiffen in his grip. He wanted to ask him what was going on until he saw the reason for his distress. Li Ann and Jackie were bringing out the maniac.

Vic rasped in a shaky voice, "What is he doing here? I thought he would gone by now."

The three of them watched as Seedy came closer but was kept at a safe distance.

"Don't worry, Vic, I'm sure it will be all right."

"Shut up, Mac, I'm tired of hearing that sorry excuse for comfort. It will not be all right until I deal with this, and that is exactly what I am going to do." Vic's voice had grown determined, and he started to walk towards Seedy, roughly shaking himself free of Mac's grip. Fortunately Dobrinsky was stronger.

"Hold it, man. You are obviously agitated, and this is not the way to go and make house calls don't you think?"

Vic actually looked furious. His eyes were very dark, almost black, but it certainly wasn't from passion this time.

"Dobrinsky, if you have an understanding bone in your body, you will let me go and put this behind me. If I don't, I will wonder every night where he is and why he did it. I want to finish it!"

The tall dark man seemed to be contemplating his options and let go of Vic with an understanding nod.

"Okay, but don't push it. I'm not going to pick up the pieces this time."

Vic looked at Mac and petted his shoulder. "Wait here."

"But can you walk on your own, Vic?"

He shrugged. "I'll manage, I always do."

With that Mac let him go towards the man. After all, he knew better than to stop Vic when he was angry.

Li Ann and Jackie had already halted, seeing the debate that was going on. Seedy seemed to have said something because Jackie gave him one of her famous right hooks, while Li Ann made it very clear that she was ignoring him. After Seedy recovered from the blow, Jackie cocked her gun and held it to his right temple. Li Ann met Vic halfway and carefully gave him a hug. "I heard your wounds were extensive, Vic. You should be in the ambulance instead of on your feet talking to that maniac."

She smiled. "But I'm glad you're okay."

"Thanks, Li Ann, you're bringing this guy in?" Vic asked, eyes never leaving Seedy's face. It seemed he had become the predator now. The change was incredible. Like a chameleon from children's stories, the bogeyman that Mac had always been afraid of. The killer dressed in black. Li Ann seemed to be ignoring the change, although Mac was sure she had noticed it too. He hoped Vic wouldn't lose it completely. Li Ann put a friendly arm around Vic's shoulder when they started to walk again.

"Yeah, Jackie and I got the wonderful and exciting job of escorting him... to that car. It seems that there are some people who want him pretty bad. Can you believe he actually is a FBI agent? Went psycho on them some time ago. They say he killed his partner in his own apartment and then claimed that some mysterious guy murdered her. When his boss tried to protect him, he put him in the hospital. Brain dead now. He left a trail of corpses, always blaming that same mysterious guy. Heartless bastard," she spit out.

"Sounds like a sad story." Vic didn't sound like he really cared, and he left Li Ann standing a couple of meters away from Seedy, while he walked slowly towards the man. He looked angry all right, but he was silent, for now, studying Vic with a wary, defiant look.

"Jackie, would you give me a gun? I'll keep an eye on him, and you can do it from a distance too. I need to talk to him alone."

The guy was still quiet.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Vic? I mean, he's pretty nuts, right?" Her bubble gum popped from her mouth.

"It's okay, Jackie, it's not like he needs a backrub or something, right." That made Jackie laugh, thinking back to the King.

"Fine, but don't take too long; that car is really freaking me out. We have to get him in there fast."

Vic nodded.

After Jackie was far enough for Vic to be alone with Seedy, he closed in on him until his mouth was near his ear. He whispered so no one but the man could hear him, "Moy toi shi bien, tovarish," and walked away without turning back, leaving a raving man behind.


***

Okay, this would NEVER happen in the OaT universe, but in Mulder's twisted mind it could, maybe...


Zine #1
Zine #2