Go to notes and disclaimers


Victor Mansfield Diaries II
by Erika


Yellowknife: Hand of Franklin Expedition


Snow. Fuckin' snow. All day snow.

Fuck! I've had it. I have to get out of here.

Ray paced inside the hotel room he had shared with Fraser for the past two days feeling the walls crowd in on him. He moved to the window and looked outside. More white stuff. Would it ever end? At the rate it was coming down they would probably find his frozen stiff body come spring.

God, he can't do this but he had to. Had no choice. He was tired. So fuckin' tired. They were midway through their expedition but they might as well never have left Chicago. Never left at all.

He had thought maybe ya know. Ray threw himself on the bed. He raised his arms to cover his eyes. He was such an idiot. Such an idiot. Damn. He was not going to do this. Not again. He was not going to stay here and wallow. He had done enough of that with Stella. He refused to do it again with Fraser. Okay so Frase didn't want him. Took him long enough to accept that. God he had hoped... hell they'd been travelling together for the past three months, sharing a sleeping bag and all, and nothing had changed between them. Nothing.

He had tried. He had truly tried but how do you move a mountain? How do you swim against the tide? How? Ray moved away from the bed and headed towards the wooden box that contained his things. He opened it and took out his backpack. There wasn't much. It was not like he had come prepared for this expedition. In fact, they had ended up buying most of their supplies along the way. Simple t-shirts, two good sweaters, underwear, briefs, socks, scarves, gloves. Nothing fancy. Nothing really to tie Ray to this adventure, nothing to look back on, not a picture in sight.

It was better this way, he tried to reassure himself. It'd be easier to leave. Easier to move forward if he didn't constantly have to look back. If he had nothing to remind him. Nothing except his memories of Fraser's body against his.

Snap out of, Kowalski, get your stuff and get the hell out.

Ray got his things and dropped them on the bed. He folded them haphazardly, making sure everything fitted inside the bag.

Okay, he could do this. He went over to the door, grabbed his parka and left the hotel room.

###

Ray made his way to the airport only to be told that the snowstorm that had stranded Fraser and him in the city for the past two days was still growing strong.

Shit! Fuckin' snow.

He bought a ticket just in case and the teller gave him a phone number to call for information should the weather conditions change. Not bloody likely, he thought miserably. It had been like this for the past four days. Actually the storm was one of the reasons they were staying in Yellowknife, the big metropolis of the north, before they headed off to Ft. Simpson and then Norman Wells. Final destination Inuvik.

At least that had been the plan before Ray bailed out. He went back to the hotel room, dropped his bags on the floor and plunked down on the chair. He hated this.

He'd hoped to be gone before Fraser came back from his little get together with his buddies. A room full of Mounties, just the thought made Ray shudder.

Ray knew he wasn't being fair. It wasn't Fraser's fault that he wanted more than the mountie was prepared to give him. He ran his hand threw his hair sending it into further disarray. Shit. He was so close. At one time he actually convinced himself that Fraser cared for him. Truly cared for him. Not like a buddy. No definitely not. It was more than that. Much more. But he had been kidding himself. Oh yeah, Fraser cared for him just like he cared for Diefenbaker. No more nor less. Just the same.

Things between them had really started to unravel four days ago as they left Maggie and made their way to Yellowknife. Ray had been quite content to stay at Maggie's, his body still recovering from the fall he took a week earlier. At that time they had been caught in a snowstorm, Fraser had lost control of the sled and Ray ended up taking most of the brunt from their mishap. They had arrived at Maggie's just in time to seek medical attention for the accident that left Ray with stiff muscles, a sore wrist, a bruised jaw and a sprained ankle. It looked far worse than it actually was and Ray had minimized the pain knowing that Fraser was feeling guilty and was having a hard time dealing with it.

Okay so after the fall they were still buds, still freaks and Ray was still mooning after Fraser like a lovesick puppy but see he could get that, he was all over that, knew that wasn't the problem. No the problem was Fraser. Fraser who was making out like he was a burden not a partner. Fraser who started to get snappy at him, well more so than usual.

But even then he would have accepted it. Forgive the guy anything. God he so wanted Fraser to touch him and he was pretty sure Fraser was thinking about it. At least that was what he thought from all those looks Fraser was giving him but he was so fuckin' wrong. His instincts had failed him. Totally. No the problem wasn't whether Fraser was interested in guys but that Fraser wasn't interested in him.

While at Maggie's he had heard Fraser talk with Vecchio and when he had later asked him if there had been any messages or phone calls the mountie had actually lied to him. Lied to his face. He let it go, thinking maybe Fraser felt guilty going on this expedition while Vecchio was still recovering from his gunshot wound, but no, after that things changed.

Fraser started avoided him, and he started having these talks with Maggie when he thought Ray was out of hearing range.

Even Dief wouldn't come over and lick his face. I mean you knew things were bad when even the wolf didn't want to play pals.

So here he was, injured body and soul when Fraser came up with this bright idea that they should continue on with the 'Franklin thing.'

He would have got over it. Truly would have. I mean once a guy throws you out of a plane with no parachute you learn to get over things but see Fraser made a mistake, once they got to Yellowknife, he called Vecchio. Throughout those two days, making their way to the metropolis of the North, Fraser had seemed worried, preoccupied. He hadn't even noticed that Ray was having a hard time keeping up with him. But like a moron Ray just kept on forgiving the guy, that is until that day when they visited the RCMP headquarters and one of the first things Fraser does, aside from leaving him with a group of baby mounties, is call Vecchio.

Vecchio. Always Vecchio.

That was all it took. Ray saw the writing on the wall.

It was not like he could ignore it anymore, he had to face facts. Fraser wanted Vecchio, not Kowalski but Vecchio. He laughed bitterly. He should have known. What would anyone want with a flat foot like him?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

So here he was, feeling miserable, abandoned by both Fraser and his trusted companion.

Fuck them, I am not going to waste my time here.

Ray moved to the door and shut it behind him.

###

How the hell do I get these assignments? Victor thought as he looked around the hotel bar. Damn but that was the last time he let Ramsey talk him into playing hooky. Nothing was worth this, a visit to this cold desolate area. Okay, as far as Northern towns were concerned Yellowknife wasn't that bad. He's actually visited more isolated places. Unfortunately the assignment hadn't been in Yellowknife but instead thousand of miles away in Tuktoyaktuk.

They had actually travelled there by plane, Yellowknife being just a stopover but suddenly the weather had changed and they had been stuck here for the past two days. It wasn't so much the cold but the snow that was making it impossible for flights to get in or out of the city.

The down time wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't for Mac and his antics. His trip in New York had helped him control his growing attraction to his male partner. Indeed, his time spend with Baldwin Jones, the New York detective, had eased the sexual frustration within Victor. Those four days spend with Jones had allowed Victor to focus on what he truly wanted... a relationship, comradeship, things he could not get with Mac.

Anyway it was not like Ramsey was even interested. So here he was hiding from Mac, spending some time away from the other man, trying to ignore the part of him that wanted to reach out and claim the younger man.

He kept drinking his pop, staying away from the strong stuff, staying away from anything that might loosen the controls he had set up for himself. He was so busy feeling miserable that at first he failed to notice the stranger who entered the bar. If they hadn't both reached out to the potato chip bowl at the same time Victor would have probably not noticed him at all.

He was young. At least he appeared so to Victor. He looked tired, worn down though.

"Sorry," Victor told him.

"No prob," the man assured him.

"That weather huh."

"Yeah. Is it always like this?" the stranger asked him.

"I wouldn't know. I'm not actually from around here." Victor turned to look around the empty bar and then cursed when he saw Mac approaching them. "Shit."

The stranger turned around to see who was coming up behind them. "Friend of yours?"

"Partner." Victor realized his mistake when the other man raised an eyebrow. "Not that kind of partner."

"Oh one of those." The man's gaze turned inward. It seemed to Victor like he knew what he was saying.

"Mansfield." Mac called to him.

"What do you want Ramsey?" He really did not want to deal with this. Victor could feel the back of his head starting to pound and the headache that had left him a few hours ago return.

"Who's your buddy here?" Kid had never developed tact, Victor thought.

"Kowalski." The man answered back with a hint of a dare behind his words. "Look we're kind of in the middle of something, do you mind?"

Mac stared at the man in shock, his mouth hanging open. He turned to Victor a question forming but never leaving his lips. Ramsey seemed to shake himself free from whatever he was feeling and went to stand between Victor and the stranger.

"Yeah, sure," he said sarcastically. "Look we have to go, come on, Vic"

Mac might as well have put a leash on him the way he was acting and Victor refused to be at the end of that leash but just in case. "The Director called?"

"Huh?" Mac gave him a dumbfounded look.

That answered his question. "Look, Mac, as you can see I'm actually pretty busy here. I'll talk to you later." He turned around and presented his back to him. Victor felt lousy doing this but maybe it was time Mac learned Victor was expanding his horizons.

"Vic?" Mac asked him.

Ignoring Mac, Victor turned to the man sitting beside him. "Want to go upstairs?" He heard Mac's shocked gasp and forced himself to sit still.

"Yeah sure." Kowalski followed Vic out the bar. As they opened the door separating the bar from the hotel he asked, "You sure about this?"

"No. Look I just..." Victor took a deep breath feeling the tension leave his body. "Need a break from all of this and..."

"You needed a way out. Some down time so you can get in touch with your inner karma, do the ying-yang thing." Kowalski finished for him. "Join the club." They entered the hotel lobby.

"You don't have to come up," Vic tried to reassure the man. "Look I don't even know your name."

"Ray Kowalski." The man offered his hand.

"Victor Mansfield." Their hands shook and then Vic felt the man beside him go pale and start cursing under his breath.

"Shit."

"What?"

"It's Fraser. You owe me right?" Not waiting for Victor to answer the question, Ray continued, "Play along. Come on. We have to get out of here before he sees me."

They were still holding hands and Kowalski tugged, pulling Victor towards the elevator. Victor felt something wet hit his hand and looked down to see a dog or was it a wolf, come up beside him.

"Dief. Go away. Go on back to Fraser. I'll give you a donut if you do. No I don't have one with me now, I'll give it to you later."

Victor who had been following this strange conversation saw the man clutching his hand sway a bit. He reached over to steady him.

"My life is doomed. I'm talking to the wolf. Don't get snappy with me," Ray told Dief, "you're not the one whose life is falling apart. Oh god, I did it again. I think I need to lie down."

Victor couldn't help but laugh. To an outside observer this was quite an intimate scene they were both displaying. For two people in particular, Fraser and Mac, watching in the sidelines, one feeling his heart break and the other not understanding the confusion he was experiencing, this scene was one they would not forget in a long time. The elevator's door opened and they both hurriedly got in, leaving behind them a sulking wolf and two hurt partners.

###

"...so let me get this straight," Kowalski asked him for the nineteenth time, "this Nathan guy thinks you're a Russian prince and your boss is a tyrannical Queen Bee?"

"Yes." Victor was beginning to wonder why he had shared that particular story.

"And you actually convinced him to stand on the sidewalk, holding a pumpkin, waiting for the mother ship?"

"Yes."

"Hmm."

"What?"

"I wonder if he is related to Turnball?"

"Who?"

"Nathan in a mountie suit." Seeing Victor's sceptical expression Ray explained. "I'm not kidding. He thinks Fraser is God. Fraser told me that himself and Fraser wouldn't lie." Ray's expression darkened. "Never mind."

They were both lying on the bed staring at the ceiling.

"So what is a Chicago cop doing all the way up here in the Arctic North?" Victor asked, hoping to distract Ray from further questions.

"Don't want to talk about it."

"You sure? You seem to have some issues here."

"And you don't?" Checkmate. Victor backed away.

Ray sighed and turned to face Vic. "It's complicated. Let's just say that I thought there'd be more in the relationship. More than just friendship."

Victor found himself reaching out and touching Ray's cheek, feeling its smoothness. Green eyes met blue, a question was asked and answered. They both moved.

Their lips touched as they sought reassurance in each other's bodies.

Ray moaned when Victor's hand travelled down his chest tugging away at his sweater. He shivered at first when hands first touched his skin and then arched into the hands as they moved toward his nipples.

Ray's own hands made their way along Victor's back, cupping his ass and pulling it toward him. Both of them moved in unison, their moans rising in volume as they continued to thrust against each other.

"Wait. Wait." Ray told him in between kisses. They had to get their clothes off. They had to get their clothes off. Think, Kowalski. Think. He tugged at Victor's jeans and started to undress the guy. Victor finally got the hint and started to disrobe. Shirts, socks, pants flew in every direction as they quickly got rid of their clothing, seeking each other's lips when naked skin finally touched naked skin.

###

As he crouched on the bed Ray could hear someone screaming, "Vic!" He wasn't sure who it was and didn't care, since all he wanted was to push his ass back into those clever hands. One of Victor's hands was massaging Ray's sac while the other was slowly teasing his entrance. Ray pushed back feeling those fingers entering him. His body trembled, a groan escaped him, and he wiggled his ass trying to entice Victor into replacing those fingers with something much harder, bigger more ruthless.

"Please." His voice was heavy and slightly hoarse, he did not know how much more of this he could stand.

Ray moaned aloud when Victor withdrew his fingers and placed his cock head just at the entrance of his body. Victor deliberately took his time, enjoying the sensation of his flesh penetrating the other man, enjoying the way Ray seemed to be a perfect fit for him. A perfect match. Their bodies were so closely joined that he did not know where he ended and the other man began.

"Ray," Victor moaned. He plunged all the way in before withdrawing to repeat the action.

The other man's answering cries were all he needed to start pounding harder, faster, changing his angle of entry, deepening it, so that every time he went in his cock stroked across the place that made Ray shiver.

His other hand played with Ray's cock. Hearing the cop's whimpers he knew he was being successful in driving him wild.

The American pushed back, meeting Vic's pace and then they both felt it as their bodies started to shudder and Victor could no longer control the tempo, the rhythm, until finally it became erratic, both seeking that state where they could climax together. Vic lost control and he shot inside Ray. Vic's hand slightly squeezed Ray's cock and the cop cried out spilling his own semen on Victor's hand. They both lay there, one on top of each other, still joined, unable to move.

It took Victor a few minutes before he was finally able to withdraw from the pliant body underneath him. He reached out and took the edge of the blanket, cleaning them both. He then gathered Ray in his arms, closed his eyes and let his body relax, rest. They both fell asleep with Vic's arm around Ray's back and the cop's hand resting just above the Canadian's heart.

###

The Victor Mansfield Diaries III: Yellowknife Revisited

funhapjoy@yahoo.com

Series: The Victor Mansfield Diaries.
Title: Yellowknife: Hand of Franklin Expedition.
Author: Erika
Feedback: funhapjoy@yahoo.com
Fandom: Once A Thief/Due South.
Disc: I am proud to say that yes I do own them. What'd you mean I don't own them? I am a Canuck, they are Canucks. What'd you mean that is not enough proof? Okay how about this, 'The government of Canada provides funding for Canadian run products in this case TV shows.' We all pay taxes to the Beaver Lord you know. So that means that my hard earned money (taxed portion that is) was used to produce these shows. Therefore I claim .00000000001 percent. Told you I owned them.
Beta reader: Pollyanna, watches from the sidelines as her child is thrown into the looney bin.
'Applauding from the sidelines'
sniffle. You don't love me anymore.
Summary: Vic, snow, polar bears and a certain spiky haired cop. Not in that order.
WARNING: WORK IN PROGRESS. Part of a series of um... diary accounts.
1. New York: Jazz Madness.
2. Yellowknife: Hand of Franklin Expedition.
Dedication: Carla Jane. Still thinking love... Enjoy the show. And thank you Carla for the advice.
Website: http://www.geocities.com/carlajanep/Erika/EEpart00.html http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EvilChild

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]