Go to notes and disclaimers


Five

Five Minutes
by Denyce


L iAnn walked into the room smiling she asked, "Am I early?" as she looked around to find no one there but her and the Director.

The smile quickly faded as she heard the Directors tone, "Have a seat."

Taking a seat LiAnn tried to ignore the Director's brisk manner as she asked, "Where are Vic and Mac? Even Jackie?"

The Director walked from behind her chair and circled LiAnn as she leaned forward speaking directly behind her ear.

"This doesn't directly concern them. This concerns you and your recent behavior."

LiAnn straightened at her words. "My behavior?"

LiAnn made a quick mental list, going over the last few days analyzing her behavior, and her actions, anything that would in a private audience with the Director. After racking her brain her a few moments she realized her behavior was if anything exemplary.

It was Mac and Vic whose behavior was borderline. Recently the arguments, and juvenile pranks had risen to a new level. Even Victor, who at one time seemed above such pettiness, had descended to Mac's five-year-old mentality of competition. No, this wasn't about her behavior it was once again about Mac, and his need for attention. The only thing that surprised her was Mac wasn't here, receiving the brunt of it, and Vic wasn't sitting next to her sharing in the misery of getting a dress down on responsibility, and teamwork.

"Well?" The Director waited for her response.

Turning her head LiAnn inquired, "Mac and Vic?"

"And?"

\Damn, she wants an elaborate explanation. What the hell, it's not like I really understand what's going on inside Mac's head, not to mention, Vic's behavior lately. Besides things I might understand I try and ignore especially whenever it deals with Mac and his delusion of winning a grand prize. Essentially me./

She looked back at the Director who had crossed her arms waiting for a further explanation. "They've been acting like children. Almost jeopardizing the mission and our objectives."

"Very good, continue."

LiAnn gaped at her for a moment, then glared from the frustration she felt as she instinctively answered in a childish manner that Mac would have been proud of. "I'm not responsible for their behavior, and it's not like I can control them. I'm not even the team leader. Victor has more seniority than I do." At the last she couldn't even hold the Director eyes as shame washed over her from trying to lay the blame on Victor.

The Director just stared at her for a moment letting the silence stretch out from her previous whine. Then walked back to LiAnn's chair and leaned over staring LiAnn down, "But you are responsible. Do you know how long I study, prepare and calculate the human dynamics that go into making a good team? I originally paired you with Victor to create a balance. Which worked well until you started to walk closer to the edge by taking unnecessary chances. That's when I decided to bring Mac in to balance your other half, your risk taker."

LiAnn closed her eyes as she took quiet deep breaths just as Father taught her trying to control the anger that flooded her. She had always suspected that Director knew about Mac from the beginning, knew that he was alive and kept it from her. But to be confronted with that truth was bittersweet; it was just another crack in the false visual display and spin of truth, to exactly what the kind of agency she joined.

"It wasn't very difficult, I just followed an older established working model Mr. Tang had already instilled in you." She lowered her voice, "I know you're not like Mac who believes Mr. Tang was the loving gracious Father who was working to save his family and empire though by slightly corrupt manners. Empire maybe, but family?"

The Director tilted her head silently questioning LiAnn, a question she really didn't need, or want an answer to.

Avoiding her gaze, "What would be the point, you already know everything." LiAnn's sarcasm dipped hauntingly as she answered.

"Quite true, but I do find some enjoyment cracking your armor; one of the perks of the job. Now back to the dynamics of my team, and your slow destruction of said team."

"Destruction? I don't know what the hell you're getting at." LiAnn continued her breathing techniques trying in vein to keep her temper down. For once she completely agreed with Mac and his assessment of the Director, and the sting was far worse on the receiving end then it was as an observer.

"Tsk tsk tsk, now what do you think those boys have in common, hmmm?" She didn't wait for a reply, "You. And you have them jumping through hoops to get your attention. Now normally I wouldn't mind. In fact I approve, but you've wound them both up to a degree that they are endangering each other," She leaned forward, "And, most importantly the mission."

The Director walked back over to her seat and started to gather her things. "Essentially, playtime is over LiAnn. Here's what you'll do. You have until Monday to clean up your mess. Chose one of them, or I'll chose for you. I suggest you have this settled before Monday."

She paused indicting her seriousness, "If I have to I will clean things up, relocate and reassign each of you. I will not have my record damaged because you enjoy being the center of attention."

The Director headed for the door and turned before leaving, "And LiAnn I will be watching." Without another word she left.

LiAnn slumped in her seat as she heard the Director's words echo in her mind, \Chose one, or I'll chose for you./

Didn't she understand that was the problem she couldn't choose between them! She loved them both she wanted them both. And that was the truth in her heart she loved them both, but the Director was putting her in an impossible situation, trying to force her to choose. What was it Father said, `what is impossible is only shows the limit of your mind.'

\Was she putting limits on herself, was the impossible, possible? But what choice do I have? The impossible chance for all three of us to be happy, or for all three of us to be miserable?/

LiAnn sat there with various thoughts going through her head, and weighing probable outcomes before she stood; in all it took only a matter of five minutes to decide her future.

###

denyce36@yahoo.com

Title: Five Minutes
Series title: Five
Author: Denyce
Fandom: Once A Thief
Pairing: Mac/Vic/LiAnn
Rating: overall NC-17, this part PG
Date: 07-03-03
Category: Slash, Threesome m/m/f
Email: denyce36@yahoo.com
Summary: LiAnn is forced to make a decision
Disclaimer: Characters belong to Alliance. This was written for fun,
not profit.
Feedback: Yes, please.
Dedication: The RatBoat list you guys ROCK!! & to Muzestestdrive group‹thank you for the LOVE!!
Note: Big thanks to Maria for the beta ;-) Sadly any last mistakes are mine & MINE alone!

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]