Go to notes and disclaimers
Part Sixteen: Walk softly and carry a big stick
Part Seventeen: The beginning of the end
Part Eighteen: The End


Once a Thief: The Net Serial
by Demi-X


Part Fifteen
Late night/early mornings


S tanding in complete darkness, Mac can hear a man screaming for help. Over and over again he hears it, the voice will not go away. As he turns around and around in circles, seeking the direction of the cries, suddenly it comes to him whose voice it is that he's hearing. Its Victor's.

Despite the fact that his surroundings are completely foreign to him, actually, he doesn't even know what kind of building he is in; only that he is indoors. Mac turns toward a darkened corridor that has suddenly become visible to him and begins to run in the direction of the soulful cries. The agent is consumed by a single-minded goal; he needs find Victor and free him. And based on the sound of Vic's pitiful voice, Mac has no doubt that his partner is suffering from some kind of torture. It's no matter to him that he does not know where Vic is, all he cares about is that his partner is in danger and he has to save him.

At the end of the long dark hall, Mac sees a lone door, painted red. And immediately he realizes that it is from behind the red door, which Victor's screams are coming from. Mac runs faster, but no matter how swift he goes, he is unable to make any headway in getting closer to the door. It feels as if he is just running in place on a treadmill. He starts to grow tired, and a fine layer of sweat has broken out on his forehead, as well as between his shoulder blades. But Mac continues to press on. He hears Vic's pleas for help, now muffled, he increases his speed even more with renewed determination.

Eventually the physically fit agent grows just too tired to keep going on, and just when Mac is about to give in to his exhaustion, he finds himself directly in front of the red door. Reaching out with his hand he tests the brass knob even though he has a feeling that it will be locked. Mac is proven correct when the knob will not budge under his grasp.

Suddenly, on the other side of the door, Vic's screams stop all together. Unnerved by the eerie silence, Mac draws his leg back and putting all his weight into it, gives the door one hard kick. The wooden structure is no match for his strength and it gives way easily, the frame becomes splinters of dark wood that fly every which way.

Mac immediately draws his weapon before crossing the threshold. In a small room beyond, he sees a single dirty mattress that has no sheets on it, it is resting on a simple wooden bed frame. And on the filthy mattress is Victor.

Jack is on the bed too, he is straddling Victor's nude body at his waist. Mac can see bruises marring Victor's pale face, clearly showing the beating he has taken at Jack's hands. In addition, Victor's eyes are closed and his body is unmoving. Since he is mostly hidden by Jack, Mac cannot even tell if Victor is still breathing.

Jack turns around and looks casually over his shoulder at Mac, seemingly unconcerned over the fact that someone has just walked in on him. Unsure if Victor is dead or merely unconscious, and very afraid that it is the former rather than the latter, Mac's hands waver slightly in nervousness. However, he still manages to spit out in a cool and controlled voice, "Get your filthy hands off of my friend or else, you bastard."

Mac tightens his grip on his gun and aims it deftly for the spot right between his enemy's ice-blue eyes. He is confident that if Jack doesn't comply with his wishes, then he will kill the man without even blinking an eye. And not lose a nights sleep over it either.

"Or else what...Mac?" Jack says to the agent, tauntingly.

"How do you know my name?" Asks Mac, momentarily confused.

"I know your name-you pathetic excuse for a partner-because I beat it out of Victor here." For emphasis, Jack grabs a handful of Victor's short hair and gives the unconscious man's head a few hard jerks.

Mac winces as he sees Victor's neck snap back and forth lifelessly like a rag dolls, but he remains silent and continues to glare at Jack, trying not to let his resolve to kill Jack at all costs waver.

"You see Mac, Victor's life is in my hands and my hands alone, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it," Jack intones cryptically. "His sanity rests solely with me. Even though I'm dead, I can still choose to haunt him in his dreams whenever I like. I can drive him insane if I want to. I can drive you crazy too for that matter. Your words cannot comfort him, they're useless.

You have only yourself to blame for failing him, you know. You were too late in saving him from me. It was you who left him alone and unable to defend for himself. It's your fault...partner... he's so screwed up now. He'll never be able to forget the memories of our time together. He's mine Mac. Mine and mine alone. Forever and ever. Victor Mansfield will always belong to me, mind, body and soul." Jack laughs haughtily.

Mac watches in horror as Jack turns toward Victor whose eyes are now open but unseeing, and brutally bites into his right cheek; defying Mac and his gun.

"NO!" Mac screams and without calling out a warning to Jack, he pulls the trigger over and over again. Riddling the psychopaths back with bloody bullet holes. Jack falls over and Mac slowly lowers his gun, proclaiming to the dead body calmly, "He's mine"...

###

Mac's bedroom.

Mac bolted upright in his bed, panting and sweating. He couldn't believe how vivid his nightmare had been. It seemed so real; he could still feel the warmth of the automatic's steel in his hand and the lingering odor of blood and gunpowder in the air.

Sighing heavily Mac reached over and turned on the small lamp that sat on his bedside table. He glanced at his alarm clock and grimaced at the time. It was only five in the morning. Mac pushed back the covers and swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

I'm up now

Knowing he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep after that dream, he decided to just get up completely and go over the break-in plans one more time.

As he got out of bed and headed for his bathroom, Mac tried to make sense of what 'Jack' had told him. He wondered why Jack had mentioned in the dream that he would drive him insane along with Victor. Mac knew enough pop psychology to understand that he was most likely projecting how he really felt about not being able to help Victor with his situation with Jack; the dead psychotic.

He had to admit though, that ever since Victor told him about what happened, he could think of nothing else. In fact, he had been downright obsessive about the whole thing, mulling over the sad and gory details again and again.

Mac had gone to bed the night before with visions of Victor being strapped down and assaulted. And he had fallen asleep to a fantasy about how he alone had been the one to find Victor, fantasizing that he had been the hero who kicked in the secret door and shot Jack in cold blood. Stopping the brutal man in mid-motion as he beat his defenseless friend with the belt. He had imagined then, that when he ran to Victor to gallantly free him of his restraints, that his partner willingly wrapped his shaky arms around Mac in sheer gratitude, kissing him deeply. Expressing his relief at finally being saved.

Mac shook his head to clear it. He guessed that if he did continue to obsess over Victor's story, he really could end up driving himself nuts.

As he stepped into the hot spray of his shower, Mac had no doubt that his nightmare was the cumulative result of listening to Vic's story earlier and his personal reactions to the whole sordid account. He turned up the temperature of the water, trying to scald the after effects of the bad dream away.

###

"Quit resisting me, you cheap whore, and take your clothes off." Hisses Jack contemptuously.

Victor, on his knees in the corner of a cell, is cowering away from Jack's proximity; his back against the hard cement wall. He can feel moisture trickling from his nose, and when he sticks the tip of his tongue to his upper lip, Victor can taste his own blood in his mouth. The room that they are in is completely black except for two bright bluish-white spotlights that are shining down from somewhere above. One spot is on him and the other is on Jack, illuminating just the two them and nothing else.

Jack starts walking toward Victor and the spotlight moves along with him. Victor is both tired and hungry. He's had enough of Jack and his games and although he his humiliated in begging Jack to stop hurting him, he does so anyway.

In a small voice he pleads, "N-n-no. Please. I can't. I just can't." Victor knows that he should try to make a run for it, but he is frozen in place by fear of what is to come next. Jack is now looming directly over him with a needle; a needle Victor knows, is full of poison. It is that particular poison in which he never wants to feel pulsing through his system ever again.

Although he is afraid to stand up and do as he is told, Victor is more afraid of what will happen if he does not obey. After a few seconds more of hesitation, he stands up on trembling legs. He wipes away the sweat that has formed on his brow while looking left and right surreptitiously for an escape route that will take him away from this nightmare. Realizing that there isn't one, Victor reluctantly pulls his T-shirt over his head, his hands shaking.

He turns his head away and looks into the darkness as he undresses, embarrassed by Jack's wolfish stare. Victor knows he can't spare himself the shame of undressing in front of this sexual predator, who is his jailer. But Victor thinks that he can at least evade Jack's direct gaze by turning his head away.

Unfortunately for him, Jack knows what he is up to. "Look at me when you do that!" He commands. " I want to see my reflection in your pretty green eyes." He takes another step closer to Victor and is menacingly waving the needle full of the potent drugs in front of Victor's face.

Victor tries retreating backwards, away from the drugs. But the cement wall that is behind his bareback prevents him from doing so. Victor silently wishes that his body would just melt into the cement. But it is to no avail, secret wishing cannot help him now. Knowing that it was the way he looked that had made Jack want to abduct him in the first place; Victor can't help damning his parents for cursing him with dark green eyes instead of a pair of generic brown ones.

The agent stares straight ahead at the command and concentrates on looking through Jack and not at him. With his vision slightly blurred by his watering eyes, Victor moves his cold hands to his belt and undoes the small metal buckle. Then, with a quick flick of his fingertips, the top button of his slightly worn blue jeans is easily undone. Victor tries to delay the inevitable a few seconds longer by pulling his zipper down slowly, one tooth at a time.

When his pants are completely undone, he becomes aware of Jack's reaction to it; the other man is running his tongue over his lips in an explicit display of arousal.

Victor hesitates while pulling down his jeans, and wonders briefly if any good would come out of asking Jack to shoot him full of drugs now. It would be nice to have them sink into his system now, so that they can knock him out before Jack begins his assault. He doesn't want to be conscious to feel what Jack will be doing to him nor does he want to hear the biting insults he knows, Jack will be flinging at him in order to shame him.

As he hooks his thumbs into the waistband of his jeans, Victor also wonders if today will be the day that Jack will bend him over and actually rape him. He wouldn't be surprised if it were, since Jack has already done just about everything else to him. But before Victor can pull his jeans down all the way, Jack suddenly moves in even closer and with one hand grabs the agent by the throat, squeezing tight enough to partially cut off his air supply.

Panicked, Victor's hands automatically shoot up to grab Jack's thick wrist, trying to deter him. But the protective gesture is in vain. The odds were against Victor from the beginning of his captivity; he body has been weakened by hunger and lack of sleep whereas Jack is obviously rested and well fed.

Eventually, realizing the futility of fighting, Victor drops his arms back down to his sides in surrender. His little act of defiancé angers Jack even more, so he slams Victor's head against the grey wall in retaliation. The force of the blow is hard enough to make Victor see star bursts explode before his eyes.

With his steel cold eyes locked onto Victor's slightly unfocussed eyes, Jack leans his face in close and says, "Your mine Vic-tor. I own your spirit; now and forever. You will always remember me and what we did together."

Jack laughs cruelly at his own words and then gives Victor a brutal kiss; it's a lip-crushing kiss that is sure to leave Victor's mouth bruised. He bites into Victor's soft, full, bottom lip hard enough to open up the tender flesh and draw blood.

When Jack finally pulls his head back, Victor can tell that he is turned on even more by the wound that he has made on his lip. Victor can also feel Jack's erection rubbing up against his abdomen. The psychotic man still has the bottom half of his body pinned against the wall with his own. Victor wonders if it is the sight of his deep, red blood that has made Jack hard or is it just because Jack is hurting and humiliating him again that has caused his arousal.

Feeling nauseous, Victor swallows hard and inhales sharply through his nose, in an attempt to keep his gorge down. But since Jack's hand is still restricting Victor's air passage, his breath ends in a heavy gasp instead. He begins attempting to suck in large mouthfuls of oxygen, but he succeeds in only taking in a minimum amount of the air that his body requires. Victor's head begins to swim, and before long he begins to see planets in addition to the stars before his eyes. He can feel his consciousness slowly ebbing away.

Afraid of what will happen to him if that actually happens, Victor attempts to reach deep within himself to find a small bit of courage to fight back with, but it is too late. He can already feel Jack plunging the sharp needle into his biceps, its potent contents burning as they pass into his body and enter his blood stream.

Victor winces at the discomfort caused by the needle, and Jack leans in one more time to suck on his bloody bottom lip. Victor's knees begin to buckle from the effects of the drugs and he slowly starts to slide down the cement wall. He can barely register the fact that the cement wall is tearing the fresh scabs off of his damaged back; the pain it causes comes to him as only a dull throbbing ache.

The last words he hears before passing out completely is Jack telling him that he is going to wish he was dead by the time he's done with him. Victor's eyes flutter close and as his forehead makes contact with the cement ground in front of him, he wishes that he were dead too...

### Vic's Apartment

5:00 am

Victor, still unsettled by the disturbing nightmare he had experienced in the middle of the night was sitting on a wooden chair and starring out of the sliding glass doors that led to his balcony.

That nightmare, like all the others that he had experienced, was very intense. He had felt everything so clearly: from the coldness of the wall upon his back to the warmth of the open wounds, to the blood running down his spine. It had all seemed so real.

When he was finally released from the scary depths of the bad dream, Victor had gone straight to his bathroom and looked into the mirror. To his dismay, he saw that at some point during his restless sleep, he had actually managed to tear the scabs off of the two deepest welts that ran across his right shoulder blade.

Both sores were bleeding freely. He'd managed to clean the wounds and bandage them up, doing the best that he could to staunch the flow of blood before leaving his bathroom to return to his bedroom. Despite only managing to get just over three hours of sleep, he did not even attempt to go back to his bed after seeing the blood in his sheets.

Instead, he padded to the dining room and grabbed a chair, placing it before his balcony doors. He pulled open the blinds and seated himself so that he could watch the deep Cimmerian night slowly begin to lighten to a dark blue, signally the onset of dawn.

In an effort to try not to think about the event that had made his sleep restless and laden with images he just as soon forget, Victor concentrated on going over the information Nathan had given him the day before again and again. He was trying to memorize every word, every detail. He wanted to go to the Agency prepared, he knew if he and Mac failed at their endeavor then it would be over for both of them. Victor wanted to be primed and ready, if only for Mac's sake. He was apathetic when it came to his personal safety, making sure the mission went smoothly would ensure Mac's safety. He did not want to let his partner down. Their task was really no different from the other ones they've had before; Victor had every intention of fulfilling his end of the mission to a letter.

Mac would need muscle to back him up and he would definitely be there to watch his back, making sure no one would come along and stumble upon them, catching them unaware.

As Victor continued running through his mind all possible scenarios that could occur, the sky began to lose its dimness, making way for an early morning sunshine that broke over the surrounding buildings and shone directly into Victor's face.

Made it through another night with most of my sanity intact.

Victor looked at his watch. It was six o'clock in the morning already, he decided that he might as well get started on the day. Rising from his seat, he winced at the pins and needles he felt in his bum from remaining seated for so long. He started for his bathroom, intending on taking a shower, but instead he ended up veering for his laptop computer that was sitting in the corner.

He had been thinking of Mulder off and on for several days now. He wanted to know if Mulder had been thinking of him as well, so giving into his curiosity he opened up his portable computer and after plugging in his modem, logged onto his server. Victor opened his e-mail program to check his mail. He was surprised to see that he did in fact have one piece of mail waiting to be read.

When he called up the mail, Victor was greeted with a sound wav window. He pushed the play button and immediately, Pink Floyd began singing a verse from their song, "Wish You Were Here":

How I wish
How I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year.
Running over the same old ground,
have we found the same old fears?
Wish you were here.

Victor sighed melancholically, then he read the short note on the screen:

V. Heard this song and thought it was appropriate, considering how things turned out for us. I wish it could have been different spy guy.. To find the one person that suited me so well, only to lose him because we are geographically incompatible...hurts. But who knows, Vic, maybe one day we will both become disillusioned with our respective occupations and give them up. Until then, I can only think of you and what we had. Victor, you took a lifetime of pain and made it disappear for me; even if it was only for a couple of hours. It's really no small feat considering the details of my life which I never got around telling you about; after all, I didn't want to scare you off too soon. We will meet again Victor. I promise. And when we do, it will be for good that I know. Take care of yourself, Vic. Please do that for me. Tell Mac I said to watch your back...or I'll kick his ass. Yours in mind and soul even if not body, M.

Victor typed a similar letter in response to his former lover and then logged off and snapped his laptop shut. He stood, stretched and headed for the bathroom, glad that he had decided to check his mail. Mulder's letter had, in an odd sort of way, cheered him up considerably. At least he now knew that Mulder wanted to keep in contact with him, even if it was only by e-mail.

Victor turned on the water and stepped into the spray, his thoughts still on Fox Mulder. As he lathered himself up, Victor began to imagine that it was Fox who was lathering him up, just like he had done before in this very shower just a few short weeks ago. Victor began to slowly run his fingertips up and down his torso—from the bottom of his aching balls and erect, throbbing cock to his sensitive nipples. He closed his eyes and fantasized that they weren't his own hands touching his body but rather Mulder's...

Mulder was pinching Vic's nipples, alternating between squeezing the two brown nubs between his index finger and thumb and running his forefingers over the sensitized flesh he had captured between them. Victor's breathing became faster and heavier. After awhile, he felt Mulder releasing his nipples and then saw him sinking to his knees to engulf his engorged, leaking cock. Victor sighed loudly and twined his fingers around Mulder's wet hair. Victor began pushing the back of Mulder's head with his hands, encouraging his lover to increase his rhythm. Mulder obeyed accordingly and before long, Victor was sucked, nibbled and licked to an orgasm. Mulder deftly swallowed all the jism that Vic's intense orgasm produced, his hazel eyes staring up into Victor's all the while, as he continued to deep-throat him and swallow his cum...

Victor released his cock. He felt sated and was more than a little pleased to find out that at least Jack didn't invade his conscious thoughts or fantasies against his will.

He felt a little lazy from orgasming so hard so Victor turned off the hot water and finished his shower with a skin numbing cold blast to wake himself up completely. Once done, he quickly stepped out into the steamy room and toweled himself dry. Victor rubbed away a spot in his fogged over mirror to look at himself. He noted in disgust that the circles under his eyes were even darker this morning than yesterday morning. Frowning at his own reflection, but knowing he could do nothing about the circles now, he simply shrugged and reached for his shaving gel.

###

The Coffee Shop

7:45 am

7:45. Vic's late.

Mac noted as he looked at the numbers on his digital watch. Every time the door to the small cafe opened, Mac would look up from his paper anxiously. When the small bell over the door jingled for about the twentieth time, suggesting that yet another patron had entered, Mac once again looked up and smiled at the sight of Victor who was looking around the restaurant, apparently searching for him.

When Victor spotted Mac, he gave his partner a bright smile and with a nod of his head started to walk over to the table. Mac watched Victor as he moved toward their table. Even though he was still a small distance away, Mac could see the dark circles under his partner's eyes, which stood out stark and menacing against the soft pallor of his skin. Obviously, Victor had not had a good night's sleep again. Mac was a little disappointed that despite his promise, Victor had not in fact called him up as he had promised to do if he were to suffer through another bout of insomnia.

When Victor finally reached their table and slid into his seat, Doreen the waitress, whom Mac had a hard time flagging down earlier, was immediately at the table with a fresh pot of coffee almost. She poured a cup of the dark brew for Victor before turning to Mac and asking with a fake smile, "More for ya, son?"

"Yes, please. Thanks, Doreen." Mac smiled back, his sincerity just as feigned.

Doreen poured Mac's coffee, ignoring the fact that she slopped liquid over the rim in the process. She turned to Vic and beamed. "What'll it be, handsome?" Mac saw that the smile she had for Victor was genuine.

Mac groaned audibly.

obviously he eats here all the time.

Victor flicked his eyes over at Mac. He thought for a second before replying, "Eggs over easy, bacon and sourdough toast. Hash browns-extra crispy please."

Doreen flashed her teeth at Victor then began to walk away.

Mac stared after her in astonishment; he could not believe that she had totally disregarded him. Trying to get his first cup of coffee out of her had been like trying to extract impacted wisdom teeth and now she just completely 'disses him after taking Vic's order. Victor, who had arrived later than he did!

The old bitch!

Mac decided right then and there that next time, they would meet in one of his regular haunts; he hated being treated like he was the invisible man.

Doreen probably has the hots for Vic. Figures.

Mac hmmphed quietly. Noticing the expression on Mac's face, Vic chuckled and called out to the waitress on his behalf.

"Uhh, Doreen, honey?" Victor called flirtatiously. Doreen turned around at the sound of his voice immediately.

"Yes, Sweetie?"

"My friend would like to order too." Victor smiled up at her and showed her his even white teeth.

Disgruntled, Mac grimaced and gave Vic a I-just-bet-you're-loving-this-look before saying to Doreen, "I'll have the same as him." He figured that would probably be the only way to ensure that his order would get to their table while it was still warm.

Doreen nodded in acknowledgment and as she walked away, Victor laughed heartily.

"Do you know...," Mac began, "...that until you came I had to nurse my first cup of coffee because I was afraid she would never come back?" Mac grinned at Victor. "Don't ever bring me here to eat again. What a dump!"

"You're such a snob Mac." Retorted Victor, cheerily. "Besides, the food's worth the abuse, trust me. The waitress may be terrible, but the cook is awesome. You'll never eat a more perfectly done egg in your life, and the hash browns are to die for." Victor put his fingertips to his lips and then made a kissing sound as he pulled them away.

Mac laughed, glad that Victor appeared to be in such good spirits this morning. "How are you doing? Did you sleep well last night?" He asked, his mood suddenly changing from slightly pissed off to worried.

Victor deflected Mac's comments with a wave of his hand, not wishing to dwell on the subject of his lack of sleep last night. To linger on it meant he would have to think of Jack; something he definitely did not want to do today if he could help it. His thoughts were already full of Fox Mulder and ways to break-in to the Agency. "I'm fine, don't worry. What kind of a plan did you come up with?" Vic asked, changing the subject quickly.

Mac searched Vic's eyes for a second before pulling out some graph paper on which he had drawn a small map of the director's office, the hallways leading to the office, and the surrounding air shafts. He highlighted the air shaft that they would use to sneak in. Mac flattened the papers on the table and began to recite his plan. "Okay, here's where we'll enter from the outside..."

###

Part Seventeen: Walk softly and carry a big stick

The coffee shop

When the agents had finished going over the plans for their break-in, Mac refolded the incriminating papers carefully and shoved them back into his pants pocket. He looked across the table at his partner and noticed that even though Victor had ordered a large breakfast, he had barely touched his food. In fact, he had not even taken a bite from his eggs at all. Only the toast was gone; Victor had downed it with three cups of strong coffee. Mac wondered if Victor's lack of appetite was due to the previous night. Victor still hadn't explained the dark circles and when Mac asked him about them again, all Victor did was change the subject instead of answering.

Uninterested in his food, Vic pushed his full plate aside. He motioned to, and she immediately came over with a full, fresh pot of coffee to fill his cup for the fourth time that morning. As he accepted another cupful, Vic kept his good-standing in the restaurant by flirting overtly with the slightly heavy and overly made-up woman.

Mac grimaced at the sight of the love-struck waitress who hung onto everything Victor said to her.

She is waay out of her league. I can't believe she would seriously think Vic would be even remotely interested. She's not even the right sex for him!

Mac thought. Nevertheless, it still bothered him that Vic would flirt with her so freely, even though he knew his partner wasn't the least bit interested. Mac hid the small pang of jealousy he felt behind his own coffee cup. He drained the last of the coffee and banged the cup down on the table top in frustration over every single thing in his life that he could not control; Victor's affections and where they lay being one of those things.

The cup hit the Formica tabletop harder than Mac had intended, startling both Victor and Doreen. Doreen jumped slightly at the unexpected noise while Victor automatically reached inside his jacket with his right hand for his gun. Once his brain realized that it was only Mac who'd made the noise, Vic immediately pulled his hand back out a little and covered the move by pretending to scratch his left shoulder instead. He chuckled lightly when he saw that Mac was staring at him with a slight grin; Mac knew exactly what Vic had been about to do. He would have done the same thing had it been the other way around.

"Check, please," Mac said to Doreen in an overtly sincere voice, even though he continued to scowl at her.

Doreen gave Mac a look that translated to You're an asshole before turning her gaze back to Victor and smiling brightly. "Sure thing... Vic." She glanced down as she reached into her apron pocket and pulled out a bill. She looked it over quickly, making sure she had the right one, and placed it face down on the table in front of Victor. Turning, Doreen sashayed away without so much as a backwards glance toward Mac.

Mac pointed his finger and raised his eyebrows at the retreating back of the waitress, laughing as he announced to Vic, "That woman is not going to get a tip out of my pocket."

Taking his eyes off of the annoying waitress, Mac smiled at Victor and joked, "A little jumpy are we, Vic? For a second there, I was afraid you'd shoot me."

Mac leaned back in his chair, making no motion to go for the check. He crossed his arms across his chest and watched Victor's clear green eyes opened up wide as he responded with, "Maybe I should have. Honestly Mac, the food is good here. I don't want to get a bad reputation for being a difficult customer just because I had you with me. And I suppose you expect me to pick up the tab?" Victor smiled while pointing at the check; he blushed slightly when he noticed the large heart drawn around the words "Thank-you, come again" which was written in Doreen's large loopy hand writing.

"Damn straight. First of all, I think the check was meant for you in the first place." Mac pointed to the large heart with the writing in it. Then he said, "And second, I aint paying for being abused verbally and... and... and lookingly by an uneducated, lovesick food server for the last two hours. And if the food's so good, how come you didn't eat any of it?" Mac leaned forward and looked directly into Victor's eyes seriously, waiting for Vic's answer.

"Too much coffee, I guess, it filled me up." Victor lied. He dropped the subject, by standing up and grabbing the check as he did so. He reached into the tight front pocket of his jeans and pulled out a few bills and a couple of coins. He dropped a couple of two dollar coins onto the table top and then headed for the cash register.

Mac stood as well and followed. After paying the bill, they left the restaurant in companionable silence.

Victor broke the quiet by asking Mac, "Oh, by the way, how can someone abuse you 'lookingly'? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Victor stopped at his truck which was parked next to Mac's BMW and unlocked the driver's side door.

"Lookingly... you know..." Mac gestured with one hand like Victor should automatically understand what he meant by the word, "...lookingly. Like, she gave me dirty looks and said nasty things to me the whole time we were there, therefore, she abused me verbally and lookingly. What else would you call it?"

Victor smiled and shook his head, he unlocked the door to his truck then turned to face Mac who winked at him before putting on his sunglasses. "Follow me home and we'll pull the equipment out and check it over." Mac opened his own car door and hopped in. He revved up his engine and the pulled out of the parking lot to make his way home.

As he watched the other man pull out, Victor was pleased that Mac had managed to lighten his dark mood so easily. Climbing into his truck, he pulled out into traffic and followed his partner.

###

Mac's storage cubicle.

Victor sneezed loudly, mumbling ìThank-youî to Mac's automatic bless you.

He could see the dust motes, which had been disturbed by his and Mac's presence in the storage room, floating lazily through the air. When he sneezed again, the irony of the situation struck him, after all his sneezing was how this whole thing had gotten started.

It was because of his apparent allergy and his use of an evidence-tainted handkerchief in the first place that had brought about a chain of events resulting in his being in this whole big muddled mess now. If he hadn't sneezed into the handkerchief which had the saliva of the suspect of the case he and his two partners had been working on, the mad bomber case, the Director wouldn't have decided to 'punish' him by introducing him to Mulder. Somehow she knew that he would become attracted to him and by that giving her the chance to secretly videotape him and Mulder together.

Victor made a low sound of disgust as he was reminded that he and his two partners had been pulled off of an active case while they were in the middle of it just because of his mishap. He guessed the Director had probably given the assignment to that other team-the one that had three members who resembled Vic's own team.

They probably solved the case easily too.

After sneezing yet again, Victor pushed his negative thoughts aside and concentrated on the here and now instead. He sighed again, softly this time, and rubbed at his watery eyes. Being in the storage basement of Mac's apartment building was making him nervous.

Even though he was with Mac, Victor couldn't help being dismayed by the sight of the plain grey cement walls: their similarity to his previous place of captivity haunted him. "You almost done?" Vic asked irritably while he pushed the heals of his hands against his eyes, trying to alleviate the persistent itch in them.

Mac, who was busy going through his 'stash', stopped what he was doing to glance back over his shoulder at his partner. The sneezing, watery-eyed man seemed fidgety. Mac looked around briefly before he realized the reasons for Victor's discomfort; he straightened up before saying, "Yeah, that oughtta do it." Mac stuffed a nightstick into the duffel bag Vic was holding for him which was already full of other various gadgets Mac thought they might need for their little break-in. He figured that if he had left anything out he could just come back down for it later. He reminded himself that they would need to sort out all their equipment and make sure it was all in good working condition before they left for the agency.

Mac had told no one what he kept in his storage cell, even LiAnne was in the dark. Now of course Victor knew but he trusted that Victor would keep its contents to himself. Mac had slowly been collecting various items over the years and squirreling them way because one never knew when one would need such things. Michael Tang had taught him that it was always better to be prepared, for anything and everything.

Victor was relieved when they finally left the basement and were back into the brightness of Mac's apartment. Once inside, he dropped the duffel bag on the rug and began pulling the assorted items out and setting them aside to examine them.

Mac pushed the coffee table away and joined Victor on the floor. He picked up the electronic box that he used to aid him in cracking safes and turned it on, scrutinizing it for any malfunctions. Vic left the complicated equipment to Mac and opted for checking the more simple but just as important gear instead.

He reached over and picked up a rope that was attached to two pulleys to check it over. Each man was intent on their task. Silent and determined in their work the afternoon passed quickly for the two partners.

### The Director's personal office 2:00 a.m.

The last slot turned and tumbled into place, a small click heard only through the stethoscope Mac was using, saying to the agent that the safe was now unlocked. Smiling through the darkness at the tall shadow that was Victor, he whispered very softly into the small microphone that dangled in front of his mouth, "Houston, we have lift off."

Mac gently eased the safe door open. Using a slim finger-sized flashlight, he swept the interior of the safe. Moving aside two large boxes of Cuban cigars, he resisted the urge to steal one or two of the large cylinders. Behind those, he found that which he and Victor were seeking. Mac picked up the two plain black plastic videotape covers and opening one up, read the label stuck to the videotape inside. "Vic" was all it said. Mac checked the inside of the second tape and saw that it said 'Vic II'. He removed both tapes and hid them securely inside one of the deep pockets within his black utility vest. Mac closed the empty cases tight and then very carefully put back everything to the way that he had found it; he had no doubt that the Director would eventually find out what they did, but he figured if he returned things to their original place correctly then she wouldn't find out later, rather sooner.

Mac whispered into the mike to Victor. "Got 'em.î There was no need to say anything else: Victor's audible sigh relayed back to him that he knew exactly what Mac meant. "I'm coming back. Pull me in." Mac added.

On Mac's okay, Victor picked up the rope that Mac was dangling from and pulled in the slack, aiding his partner in his return. When Mac reached the top, Victor helped him unbuckle the harness to release him from the complicated ropes. He then bound up the ropes quickly and stuffed it into a black knapsack with the rest of the gear. He flung the bag around and settled it against his back efficiently.

"Ready?" he asked Mac, who was busy looking around, making sure that they had not given away their presence. Mac nodded his head. "All right then, let's get the hell out of here!" Vic whispered emphatically. Mac took the 'point' and lead the way out of the Director's office, with Victor watching their backs from behind all the way out. The two men, silent as the mist, made their way, swiftly out of the Agency.

###

Once back outside, both of them let out their breaths in a whoosh, relieved that they had just successfully broken into the Director's office and got out in one piece. Victor reminded himself to buy Nathan a case of beer, impressed that the man's information was bang on the money.

Mac fell into step beside Vic as they walked the four blocks back to Victor's truck. Victor had parked far away from the Agency as a measure of insurance. He didn't want anyone from work to recognize his truck, thereby linking him to this treasonous act of larceny. He also knew that the Director would be sure discover their little crime eventually. It was only a matter of when. Like Mac, he was just trying to preserve their ruse as long possible.

As they were walking down a dark alley Mac flung his arm around Victor's shoulders and hugged him. "Yeah! We did it!!" he gushed in sheer jubilation at what was, in his opinion, the ultimate heist of all time.

Victor laughed at Mac's enthusiasm, but before he could answer his partner the sound of another male voice that spoke to them from the darkened shadows, made them freeze. "Well, well, well. Look what we have here, Dave. Two 'lovers' out for a midnight stroll." The man spit the word 'lovers' out.

As he spoke a man stepped out of the darkness and into the dim moonlight. The stranger was casually slapping a blackjack against his left hand. Another man, presumably 'Dave', stepped from the blackness on the other side of Victor. He had a black jack as well. Instinctively, Mac and Victor arranged themselves so that they were back to back; each of them keeping their eyes on the man that was closest to him.

Victor raised his hands palms up and stated coolly to the menacing man in front of him, "Listen, you've got us mistaken for a couple of easy marks. I promise that's not the case. Now put down those sticks before my friend and me get really get mad and kick the shit out of you two." To emphasize his point, Vic flashed a nasty, feral-like smile at 'Dave'.

"Yeah," Mac concurred. He took on an exaggerated southern twang in his voice and drawled out, "We'll wring the red right off of yer skinny necks fer ya all."

Victor laughed at Mac's jibe. 'Dave' and his friend, however, did not see the humor in the witty insult.

Without warning 'Dave' swung the small club in his right hand and as Victor feinted to his left in an attempt to stop the swing, Dave struck out with his left fist instead and caught Victor in the side of his face with a hard jab, causing Victor's nose and mouth to spurt blood. Victor fell to his knees, temporarily stunned.

Mac turned his gaze toward Victor for only a split second in reaction, but it was time enough for the other thug to make his move. Seeing his chance, the guy swung his black jack at Mac, catching the agent unaware. The blow caught him at the base of the skull, knocking him down and out momentarily.

Victor screamed, "Mac!" As his body became overwhelmed by adrenalin, they took over and shifted him into an aggressive autopilot mode. Victor jumped up from his kneeling position and kicked his assailant hard enough in the kneecap that he actually heard it give way and make a sickening snapping sound. 'Dave' fell to the ground writhing in pain and clutching at his shattered knee.

Vic bent over and in one swift motion, picked up the wriggling man's club while simultaneously pulling his gun. Cocking it, Victor spun around and yelled, "FREEZE!" at the partner, who had his weapon raised and was about to strike the prone and unconscious Mac again. The man had already kicked Mac a few times in the stomach, ribs and face; Victor could see Mac's bright red blood trickling out of his nostrils.

The man froze instantly at the sight of Victor's gun. He dropped the club and it clattered as it hit the ground. The unnamed man put his hands up in the air and rested them on his head in the usual position taken by a 'perp' once they have been caught.

"Take it easy man, no need to get all worked up," he said nervously as his eyes darted from Mac to Victor to 'Dave', whom Victor was keeping pinned to the ground by pushing on the man's damaged kneecap with one booted foot.

Victor was not pushing hard enough to truly hurt the man but just enough to let him know he had better stay put. Not that the injured man would be able to rise on his own anytime soon anyway with his kneecap crushed. Victor pressed down on Dave's knee once more, making the man cry out in agony, before backing away slowly. One tiny bead of sweat made its way down his temple. Even though he was wired, Victor's face betrayed no emotion whatsoever. He held his hands rock steady on his gun and his voice did not waver from the icy tone as he commanded Mac's attacker to, "Collect your shithead friend and get the fuck out of here before I change my mind and shoot both of you."

The other man scuttled over to his hurt friend and helped him to his feet. As he dragged his friend away, the man looked back every few yards to make sure that Vic had not changed his mind and decided to shoot them after all.

Victor waited until the men were completely out of the alley and out of his sight before he re-holstered his gun and ran to his downed friend.

"Mac! Mac!" Victor shouted as he not so gently slapped the limp man's bruised face in an attempt to revive his partner. Victor felt relief wash through him when he saw Mac's eyelids flutter and then open up wide.

"I love you," Mac stated woozily as he blinked his unfocused eyes up into Victor's concerned face.

Victor stared dumbfounded at his partner for a second before dismissing Mac's words as nonsense. He guessed that Mac had probably been hit hard enough in the head to cause a concussion and he knew that people who had been bashed about in such a way usually didn't say the most sensible things. He chose to ignore Mac's confession of love.

The lights blinked out on Mac again and he went limp in Vic's arms.

Alarmed that the guy with the blackjack had done some serious damage, Vic reluctantly lay his partner down gently on the cold asphalt. He removed the that he had been wearing knapsack and then his own coat. Bundling up the leather into a neat package, he placed his coat underneath Mac's still head. Victor rummaged through the knapsack for his phone and using his teeth, he pulled the antenna out on the cell. Just as he was about to dial 911, out of the corner of his eye he saw Mac wake up and rise shakily to his hands and knees.

Before Victor could even dial the number; his partner started vomiting - all over Vic's favorite jacket. Victor dropped the phone to the pavement and knelt next to Mac. He reached out one big, comforting hand and rubbed Mac's back as the man finished bringing up every last bit of Japanese food that he had eaten earlier for supper.

Grimacing slightly at the sight of his ruined jacket, Victor turned his face away at the sight and smell of the regurgitated food, but he kept his hand where it was, running it soothingly over the arched back of Mac.

"I'm okay now," Mac said softly. "Don't call anyone. It'll only draw suspicion to what we were up to earlier." He sat up on his haunches and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Then he spit in to rid himself of the foul taste still left in his mouth. Mac noticed that there was blood on the back of his hand but he paid it no mind; it was his head that hurt the most—it ached like nothing he had ever felt before. He knew the sensible thing to do was to get himself checked out, but to call an ambulance would be too risky. And plus, he didn't really trust doctors. He just wanted to get home, some where safe so that he could assess the damages done to him on his own.

Mac looked up to Victor and gave the slightly blurry man a small lopsided grin, "Way to save my bacon, Vic," he kidded softly. Then he reached up and tenderly wiped away some of the blood that was still oozing out of the corner of Victor's mouth. Mac looked at the small gout of blood on his fingers and with a slight frown before he wiped it off on his dark utility vest.

Victor smiled back. Relieved that his partner seemed okay now, he convinced that Mac was just ' a little out of his head' when he told him that he loved him.

He probably doesn't even remember that he spoke

Picking up the knapsack and swinging back over his shoulder, Victor stood up and helped Mac to his feet, letting the wobbling man lean on him for support.

After a few steps, he remembered something and leading Mac to large a garbage bin, he helped him take hold of the side of the steel box for support. "Hang on a minute will ya," he said to Mac.

Victor left Mac momentarily to go back to where his jacket still lay. He plucked the offending garment up with the thumb and forefinger of one hand and as carefully as he could, using only the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, pulled out what effects he had in the pockets of the jacket. He returned to the trash bin with it and then dumped the jacket into the large receptacle.

"Sorry about that man. I guess I should have aimed better, eh?" Mac said sheepishly to Victor.

"Oh well, some bum probably won't care that it's been puked on. I think I'll let you take me shopping to one of those fancy stores you're always going on about and buy me a new one though." Vic raised his eyebrows at his partner and laughed heartily before saying, "Come on, let's get out of here before the cops come by and try to take a statement or something. I'll take you home."

Victor placed an arm around his partner and held Mac firmly to his side, gripping the dazed agent firmly. The two of them started down the alley in the direction that they had been originally been heading before they were waylaid.

###

Part Eighteen: The beginning of the end

"Welcome back, partner," Victor whispered gently into Mac's face.

Mac's eyelids fluttered like butterfly wings and finally opened. He found himself looking up into Victor's concerned face. He smiled weakly in reassurance not only to Victor but to himself as well. Mac was glad to note, that he in fact, was not dead. However, at that moment, he only felt half-alive.

"Hey," Mac whispered back softly before closing his eyes, shuttering them with the back of his hand against the early morning light; which made his throbbing headache pulse harder.

Relieved by Mac's return to consciousness, Victor smiled toward his partner before turning away. He went into the bathroom to rinse out the washcloth that he had been holding with cold water, he was using it as a cooling pad for Mac's forehead.

As soon as Victor was out of the room, Mac tried to ignore the pain in his head and attempted to stand up. On a pair of very wobbly legs, he managed to pull himself to a semi-upright position before a wave of debilitating dizziness washed over him, causing his weak legs too just completely give out. Luckily, at the same moment, Victor was returning from the bathroom and was just in time to catch Mac before he fell to the floor.

"Whoa... hey watch it. What the hell do you think you're doing?" Victor asked, his voice a mixture of anger and concern, as he eased his partner carefully back into bed.

"Ugh," Mac groaned. "Don't shout at me. My head hurts." The pain in his head was so great that he barely had enough energy to raise his voice above a hoarse whisper.

Victor frowned at Mac's still form then deftly bent over to scoop up the washcloth he had dropped when catching Mac. He folded it neatly and placed it on Mac's brow so that it partially covered the man's closed eyes. "I'm not yelling," Vic stated quietly. "It just sounds that way because you have a concussion."

Mac purred softly when he felt the cool cloth press against his heated skin. "Ahhh, that feels better."

While keeping one hand on the washcloth to hold it in place on Mac's forehead, Victor out with his other hand to pull over a chair that was standing nearby, and plunked himself down in it. He sat watching Mac as the other man's chest rose and fell slowly while the rest of his body remained unmoving. Mac stayed that way for so long, that after a while, Victor started wondering if maybe Mac had gone back to sleep. But on a closer look, he realized that his partner was merely resting as Mac's breathing was too shallow to be asleep.

Probably just trying to calm the headache

Victor pursed his lips. He was about to ask Mac if he wanted some Tylenol when Mac spoke out first. "I meant what I said you know," he said, his voice barely audible. Without opening his eye's Mac flipped the cloth over, so that the cooler side was against his skin.

Victor's eyes widened with unease.

Oh shit, please Mac, not the I love you thing.

"What? You mean about the cold compress feeling good?" Victor questioned, pretending not to understand what Mac was talking about.

Mac sighed. "No. Not that, fool. What I said to you last night in the alley." He hesitated for a second before going on, "You know... when I told you I loved you."

Mac was glad that his face was partially hidden by the cloth for he was sure that he was blushing hard enough for Victor to see the telltale spots that were colouring his cheekbones. Even though he had been thinking about Victor and the possibilities of them being together for quite sometime now, he never had the courage to do anything about it. But when they were attacked in the alley, the thought, This is it. I'm gonna die had raced across his mind and Mac had been sure that time had run out on him before he could confess his love. He was not afraid of dying, but he was afraid to die with so much unfinished business.

So, needing to resolve his feelings before certain death, Mac had decided to speak his heart to Victor. He surprised even himself when he admitted out loud to Victor what he could barely admit to himself privately. It was something he would never think to do under normal circumstances.

But then when he woke up in his own bed and discovered that he hadn't expired after all, Mac realized that he would have to deal with what he told Vic. The events of last night had made Mac realize that there were no absolutes in life. And recalling the cliche` about death and taxes, he definitely didn't want to find himself standing at the 'pearly gates' with regrets of what could have been. So instead of blithely passing off the remark as nothing, Mac decided to deal with the situation head on and confront Victor about his feelings in regards to what was said in the alley.

Only now Vic wasn't reacting quite like he'd hoped he would.

Oh God, Victor doesn't even know what I'm talking about. Shit, shit, SHIT!

Defying the inner turmoil he was feeling, Mac used what energy he had to maintain his calm visage. Removing the cloth from his face and tossing it aside, he looked up and directly into Victor's eyes before going on, "I meant what I said, Vic. I really am in love with you. I have been for quite sometime now."

Mac stared at Victor expectantly, waiting to see if the other man was going to say anything. When Vic did not answer but only continued to stare at him with a dumbfounded and mildly horrified look on his face, Mac knew instantly just how grievous a mistake he'd made by pursuing this.

Victor felt his stomach slowly sink as he tried desperately to think of what to say—of how to tell Mac he didn't reciprocate his feelings; especially since he was still clinging onto his relationship with Mulder.

Damn it, Why didn't I see this coming? How could have I been so blind to Mac's feelings?

Victor chastised himself. He hadn't seen it coming because he chose not to. He had been perfectly willing to overlook those three little words that had been called out by a man half out of his head with pain and concussion.

How did Mac even remember that he'd said that?

Vic honestly wished he could tell Mac that he shared the same feelings that he too loved him for more than just the friend and partner he was. Victor had no wish to hurt Mac's feelings, however, he knew it would be better to just tell the truth. No matter what. Victor believed that it would do neither of them any good if he were to string Mac along and make him believe there was something between them when there wasn't. Only problem was, he had no idea how to go about telling Mac how he felt now.

In a last ditch effort to avoid dealing with the problem for just a little bit longer, Victor hedged, "Mac... um, I... I don't think this is a good time to talk about this. You're barely conscious and still knocked half senseless. We can talk about it in the morning."

Victor stood up suddenly and glanced at his watch. "Geez, it's six in the morning already!" Vic nervously exclaimed. "I better go... now that you're not in any danger of slipping into a coma or... anything. I'll call you later on to see how you're f... feeling"

He gave Mac a tight smile before turning away and heading out the room. He was almost out the door when he was stopped by Mac's voice calling out weakly, "Vic, don't go. We need to talk about this." When Victor hesitated, Mac implored, "Please, Victor," as he pulled himself up to a sitting position. "I won't be mad I promise you," he added.

Victor hesitated, stock still his hand remained on the doorknob as he seriously contemplated walking out. In the end, he turned around and went back over to the chair he had been sitting in and turned it around so that he sat straddling its back. Vic looked at Mac with eyes that were large and sad, begging the other for understanding. "Mac," Vic began gently. "I don't want to hurt you. You know that don't you?"

Mac nodded. "I know that Vic, but I have to know how you feel so just tell me and I'll never bring it up again." In actuality, Mac could already intuit by the way Victor was trying to avoid the subject that he did not reciprocate his feelings; at the same time, Mac still wanted to hear it from Victor's lips himself, just to be sure. It was strange, Mac never knew he had a masochistic streak in him until now.

I must be the biggest sucker for punishment alive He thought miserably.

The look in Mac's big brown eyes broke Victor's heart. This was, without a doubt, going to be one of the hardest things he would ever have to do. Victor took a deep breath and began. "Mac, I love you too, but...," Vic paused before continuing delicately, "I love you like the brother I never had. You're my partner and my best friend and I wish I could feel the same way about you as you do for me, but... I can't."

Victor swallowed hard. "I'm... I mean... Mulder and I... we've... " Victor didn't know why he was having such a hard time telling Mac what was going between him and the F.B.I. agent. He took another deep breath before trying again. "You see, Mac, we've been talking to each other over e-mail and before I picked you up last night to do the job he phoned me, and you see... he... he misses me, as much as I miss him. And we've decided to try and make it work out after all... "

Mac had watched as Victor's face changed as he talked about Mulder; his features took on an almost dreamy, far-a-way look and Mac found himself stricken with a heavy sense of envy for Fox Mulder and the hold he had on Victor. Mac knew that Victor had never looked like that when he talked about him or even LiAnne. The reality of the situation hit him and hit him hard. Now he knew for sure that Victor was still in love with Mulder, and he would never be able to compete with that. Mac's heart crumbled. He couldn't believe how foolish he was not to see what was directly in front of his eyes the whole time; that he was in love with a man who obviously loved another.

He had never felt more crushed in his whole life, even during the time he found out LiAnne was engaged, and had no interest in getting back together with him could compare to the sting of how he felt at this very moment.

After a while, Mac realized that he had been so lost in his own thoughts of misery that he had not heard a word Vic had said in the last few seconds. He shook himself out of it in time to hear Victor wrapping up.

"...who knows what will eventually happen? But we've decided to make another go of it." Victor smiled lopsidedly.

"We're going to pretend that a long distance relationship will be actually more romantic and not a hindrance. Mac... please." Victor leaned forward and asked sincerely, "You understand don't you?"

Feeling very much like the blind idiot he believed he was and humiliated beyond words, Mac merely nodded his head 'yes', not trusting himself to speak.

There was an awkward moment of silence. And Finally wanting only to be left alone with his embarrassment over the whole situation, Mac managed to shake whatever it was that had rendered him mute and said to Victor in a rather cold voice, "I understand. Look, thanks for taking care of me last night. You're right, there's no need for you to stay. You can go now."

Victor looked to Mac; he absorbed the steely facade and realized that the hardness of his voice and the grim set to his lips was just a thin veneer to hide his hurt. He pleaded gently, "Mac, please... let's not end things this way. I..."

But before he could finish his sentence Mac interrupted with a curt, "Look, I get it okay? You and Mulder are back together in mind and soul even if not physically. No need to explain it further. Really. I think I've made a big enough ass of myself for one day, don't you? Victor please, if you care for me even just a little bit, you'll go now and leave me alone so I can at least retain what little dignity I have left." Mac flopped back down on the bed and covered his eyes—eyes that stung with tears of humiliation—with his left arm.

Victor stood and leaned over to touch Mac's arm lightly, saying in a slightly choked voice, "I'll phone you later okay?" When there was no reply, Victor glumly turned around and walked out of his best friend's bedroom.

###

Cursing himself for ruining what was probably one of the most important relationships in his life, Victor popped the top off his bottle a beer and took a long drink.

Never in his whole life had Victor felt like such a heel. He sat on his love seat and covered his eyes. He ran the whole awful conversation through his head for the hundredth time and then groaned miserably. He could not get over how sad Mac had looked when he told him about how he and Mulder were going to take another shot at their relationship.

Victor took another swallow of cold beer and realized suddenly how much he wanted, no, needed to see Mulder. He needed someone to ease his feelings of guilt and misery. Setting his bottle aside, he reached for the phone only to put it down again when a soft knock was heard at his door. Sighing, Victor stood up, walked the few feet to the door and peeked out of the peephole. When he saw who it was, he hurriedly undid all of the hardware and threw open the door wide, beaming at the person who stood on the other side.

"Hey secret agent man, miss me?" Fox Mulder greeted him in a husky voice. He was carrying his travel bag in one hand and his cell phone in the other.

Victor grabbed a hold of Mulder's wrist and pulled the man inside, slamming the door behind the FBI agent. He barely turned around before Mulder grabbed his shoulders and slammed him against the closed door. Mulder thrust himself up against a thoroughly ecstatic Victor and captured his mouth in a kiss so deep that Victor could've sworn that he could feel Mulder's tongue making contact with his tonsils.

###

Mac awoke with a start. It took him a moment to figure out where he was, he felt oddly disoriented. And when his mind finally established that he was in his own bed in his own room in his own house, he sighed heavily.

Too bad the events of the early morning were real and not part of the nightmarish images that had made his sleep disturbed and broken. He was amazed that he was able to fall asleep at all after Victor had left. And now that he was fully awake, he decided to just get up. Mac sniffed at his armpits and turned his nose up disdainfully at the lingering odor, deciding that he was in desperate need of a hot shower.

His need for a shower confirmed, Mac sat up very slowly and flung back the covers. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and once his toes hit the thick carpeting underneath, he grabbed the night stand to pull himself up gingerly. His headache was still with him but none of the nausea and dizziness of the night before and the early morning was left. He walked to the bathroom slowly and flicked on the light before going in. Mac stood at the sink and studied his reflection in the mirror, grimacing slightly at the sight of himself in the mirror: underneath the bruises he saw his cheeks redden with the remembrance of the humiliation of the mornings events. He could just kick himself now for pushing the issue with Victor like he did.

How could I have been so stupid?!

Mac gave a snort of disgust at the mirror image of himself before turning to switch on the radio. He tuned into his favorite station and then cranked the volume up so that he would be able to hear the music over the noise of the shower; walking around the corner into his shower he adjusted the temperature to as hot as it could go without actually burning his aching skin. As Mac washed himself, he began to run ideas through his head on how to solve this tight fix he was in.

Mac figured his best shot, which would also be the most plausible, was to simply tell Victor that he only vaguely remembered bits and pieces of what he had said since he had been knocked in the head the night before. That he had literally been out of his mind as a result of his massive headache, maybe he could even say that he had a very mild case of amnesia.

Yeah, Vic'll buy that. Why not?

It was a lie of course, but then Mac was an expert at spinning a believable web of deceit. The fact that he still knew very much where he stood on the subject and where Victor stood for that matter wasn't important. What was important was their friendship and he knew that if he wanted any hope of salvaging it, then he'd better feign ignorance and just let the whole thing go. It was the only way out of this difficult situation that Mac could see.

Shutting off the water, Mac grabbed his large fluffy towel and as he stood there drying off, Jewel's haunting, lilting voice came over the airwaves and began singing to him:

You took your coat off,
it started to rain
you were always crazy like that
and I watched from my window
I always felt I was outside looking in on you.
You were always the mysterious one
with dark eyes and careless hair
you were fashionably sensitive but too cool to care.
You stood in my doorway with nothing to say
besides some comment on the weather,
well in case you failed to notice,
in case you failed to see
this is my heart bleeding before you,
this is me down on my knees.
And these foolish games are tearing me apart,
and your thoughtless words are breaking my heart...
breaking my heart...

Mac paused in his drying; the words of the song brought on unbidden images of Victor that swirled through his brain. In his mind's eye, he saw:

...Victor sitting upon a barstool, all alone in a pub full of people; a solitary and desolate figure, looking abandoned after Li Anne had broken up with him...

...Victor, with sweat diluting the blood from a cut above his eye, laying on a grimy bar room floor pleading with his former cop boss for his life...

...The look of fear in Victor's eyes as Mac reached out his hand so that Victor could pull him to safety from the top of the old apartment building when the burning rope that he had been clinging to had finally come apart...

...Victor's eyes, pupils magnified by tears that had not yet fallen as he sat across from him, relating in a halting voice the litany of indignities he had suffered at the hands of a madman...

Mac shivered when a cold chill came over him, he cleared his thoughts of Victor and reached out to snap the radio off brusquely. The words had hit a little too close to home for his taste. Mac tossed the towel on the floor and exited the bathroom. As he dressed, all Mac could think of was that he hoped he was not too late to fix this mess.

###

Part Nineteen: The End

"Mulder," Victor moaned as they came apart from their passionate kiss. He held Mulder's face between his own warm, slightly shaking hands and looked searchingly into the agent's eyes. He knew the emotions he saw in them, a heavy mixture of longing and lust, which was probably reflected in his own eyes. "I can't believe you're here. I was just thinking right now how much I wanted to hear your voice again."

"Then it's a good thing I showed up when I did, huh?" Mulder growled softly before raising his hands to grip Victor's fingers tightly.

Victor leaned back against the locked door and eyed his lover lasciviously, he wondered what the agent was going to do.

Mulder let go of Victor and using his fingertips solely, he started to caress his way down Victor's hard, muscled arms, stopping at his lover's wrists to hold onto them tightly within his own hands. He gave Vic's wrists a firm squeeze and then capturing the other man's eyes with his own, slowly sank to his knees.

Victor was breathless with excitement as he watched Mulder fall before him.

Without breaking eye contact with Victor, Mulder grinned wolfishly and released the wrists so he could undo the top button of the man's jeans. Mulder flicked out his pink tongue and scooped up the tiny metal tab. He brought the captured bit of brass up to his lips and held it firmly between his teeth. Then he began to pull it down with a deliberate slowness-releasing the small brass teeth one by one-seductively, increasing the level of anticipation for his lover.

Victor sighed heavily, squirming slightly when the zipper was finally opened. Mulder reached up to grip both underwear and denim and started to pull them down. With every bit of soft white flesh that was exposed, he grazed the bare spot with his tongue. He pushed the material down slowly until it finally reached Victor's knees. Mulder batted his eyelashes up at Victor one final time before settling his gaze from the other man's face to the view of creamy, smooth skin directly before him. Mulder stared at Victor's large erection and then inhaled deeply, the dusky scent of his lover. A man whom he had missed more than he thought possible. Plunging forward, Mulder, in one fluid motion swallowed Victor down whole from tip to root.

Victor moaned his pleasure at having his hardness engulfed by lips that were sensously full, not to mention incredibly warm. He raised his hands to Mulder's head and gripped the short brown hair firmly between his fingers, trying to urge Mulder to hurryhis rhythm. In return though, Mulder only grinned to himself while he happily ignored Victor's urgings. He had been fantasizing about Victor and what he wanted to do to him the time that he was back in DC. Even on the plane trip here, he had been conjuring up fantasies of him. Mulder had been slowly building his own anticipation, and he was damn well going to take his sweet time to make sure his fantasies will be fulfilled.

After a few more minutes of painstakingly slow, deep strokes, Mulder increased his rhythm slightly. In response Victor accelerated the gyrations of his hips and moaned loudly, showing just how much delight he was drawing from the blow-job. And just as Victor thought he was going to cum, Mulder pulled his mouth away from Victor's throbbing penis without warning.

Victor's eyes popped open wide with surprise, but Mulder only flashed him a devilish smile. He was by no means finished with his lover, so he wasn't about to let Victor finish either.

Mulder swallowed down his own index finger deliberately, wetting it thoroughly. He leaned in again and ran his tongue from the perineum to the base of Vic's cock before continued sucking Victor, just as he had been doing. It didn't take long for Mulder to get a good rhythm going again and once he did, he used his slick finger to probe Victor's sensitive, tight opening.

After taking the time to ready the agent, Mulder sank his finger past his knuckle to the hilt and searched for the small walnut-sized gland, that when stimulated properly could drive a man wild with ecstasy. When he found it, he gave it a few good strokes.

He heard Vic's quick intake of breath and then listened to the man as he mumbled almost incoherently, "Oh Jesus Christ, yesss."

Mulder knew that Victor would not, could not last much longer so he brought up his free hand and wrapped it around Victor's weeping cock. Using hand, mouth and finger in carefully coordinated unison, he deftly brought Victor over the threshold. He thrashed and moaned as he sent his life's seed down his lover's throat. Mulder swallowed all that Victor had to offer greedily.

When Victor was completely spent, he reached down and pulled Mulder up off his knees. He hugged the man to his chest tightly. "Oh God, Mulder, I needed that," Victor murmured directly into Mulder's ear.

Mulder, in return, braced him back just as fiercely. "I can tell," he replied. Pulling back slightly, he looked Victor in the eyes again. Smiling lightly, he said, "Surprise. I'm back" and then he chuckled.

Victor blinked and beamed. "And am I ever glad for it too. Actually, I have to talk to you, but it can wait." He reached down and fondled Mulder's erection. Mulder hadn't had an orgasm and he was as hard as a chunk of granite. Victor rubbed his palm lewdly up and down the Armani encased cock. He raised his eyebrows and grinned wolfishly, as Mulder had done earlier.

"Come to the bedroom, G-man, and I'll really welcome you back."

Victor grasped Mulder's hand and without waiting for an answer, pulled him in the direction of the bedroom, intent on showing the agent just how happy he was to see him.

###

The shrill ringing of the phone pulled Victor out of his late afternoon, post-coital slumber. He made a blind grab for the phone quickly to prevent it from sounding again.

"Hello?" Victor croaked. His throat was so dry he could barely get the words out. In remembering how it got to be so dry, he couldn't help grinning. He raised some saliva in his mouth and swallowed, before trying again.

"Hello?" he said, this time more firmly.

"Mansfield? It's me. We've got a situation. Get down here on the double!" came the Director's voice in a tone that left no room for argument.

Victor looked over his shoulder at Mulder, who was lying awake on his back staring at the ceiling fan as if mesmerized by its slow hypnotic movements. With his eyes fixed on Mulder, Vic grinned again before asking, "What's going on?"

"I'll fill you in when you get here," came the reply. The Director hung up in the agent's ear, without saying another word. Victor replaced the handset on its cradle and rolled over to gather up his bedmate so that they were face-to-face in his arms. Victor squeezed Mulder passionately and then told him softly, "I gotta go to the office for a few hours. You don't mind do you?" After he had spoken, Victor, giving into temptation, put his lips to Mulder's smooth neck and began to nibble on it, noting to himself that Mulder could use a shave.

"Mmm," cooed Mulder. "No. I've got somewhere I have to be anyway" He made a small sound of protest when Vic stopped what he was doing to look at Mulder in surprise.

"Where? I thought this was a... vacation... of sorts." Vic tried not to sound too disappointed at the thought that Mulder might be here working a case and that visiting him was just a pit stop.

"Well, officially—on paper, that is—I am on vacation. But the truth is, in addition too wanting to come to see you, I also got a lead on a...," Mulder hesitated, not sure of how much he should tell Victor of what he knew. He decided to skirt the main issue for now. "...off-the-record X-file I've been interested in."

"Oh." Victor paused then and asked in genuine curiosity, "An off-the-record X-File? What's it about?"

"I got a tip from an anonymous source that there appears to be a mass abduction site deep in the heart of Ontario's Algonquin Park," Mulder said rather happily. He smiled apologetically at Vic and added,"Sorry slugger, I have an appointment to meet a couple of guides at the provincial park board here in town."

For a minute Victor thought Mulder was joking about the 'mass abduction site', but then after giving it more thought, and judging by the serious look on Mulder's face, he knew that this was no joke. To Mulder at least.

"When do you have to be there?" Vic sat up and gave his scalp a lazy scratch. Mulder leaned over and picked up his watch from the night stand to look at the time. He met Vic's gaze and answered, "In an hour and a half. Damn. Vic, sorry. I wish I could've caught an earlier flight. But everything was booked up solid."

Mulder swung his legs over the end of the bed and stood up. Extending his hands high over his head, he gave his lanky body a much needed stretch.

Vic stood and did the same. With catlike stealth, Victor walked up behind Mulder, who was still stretching, and grasped the man around the waist. He bit Fox's earlobe gently and whispered, "Maybe we shouldn't have slept so much." Victor gave the small lobe another delicate nip and then moved his mouth from the sexy bit of flesh to work his way down the sensual curve of Mulder's neck. Peeking over the slightly taller man's shoulder, Vic saw that his soft bites and kisses were working to arouse his lover.

Mulder patted the backs of the hands that ringed his waist and turned around while still in Victor's grip, so that they were facing each other. Mulder kissed Victor deeply on the lips. Before long, he switched from Victor's mouth to his neck. Victor arched his head to the side, purring from the sensations he felt. Mulder bit Vic's shoulder hard enough to leave teeth marks. And while rubbing his erection over Victor's hard cock, Mulder husked a reply to Victor's 'sleeping' comment, "Maybe we're just getting older, hmm? We are already in our 30's, Vic; we need more recovery time in between orgasms." After having said that he bent his head back and continued to kiss the other side of Vic's neck.

Victor knew that Mulder was just kidding about the 'older remark'. Adding his own jest to the conversation, Victor murmured, "Not older G-man, just better... ooh yeah, right there!" Vic interrupted himself when Mulder found the exact right spot at the top of Vic's shoulder muscle and sucked on it. After a beat, Vic continued, "We're just getting better..."

Mulder finally pulled away from his merciless teasing of Victor's neck and shoulder. Kissing Victor deeply once more, he asked, "By the way, who was that on the phone. Dragon Lady?" Mulder reluctantly severed his embrace with Victor, and reaching for his hand, pulled him behind himself toward the shower.

"Yeah. I have to go into the office. She claims there's some sort of a situation. I can drop you off to wherever you're heading on the way there though," Victor grumbled to Mulder's back as the two of them stepped under the shower's stream.

###

Victor drove to the Provincial Park office and pulled over in front of the building. He glanced around quickly before reaching over and grabbing the back of Mulder's head to pull the agent into one last, lusty kiss. He released Mulder's head after a while and ran his fingers through the other man's hair.

Mulder touched his slightly puffy lips with his fingers. He had been smiling, but then he dropped the smile and gave a Victor serious look. "Vic, in a few days I'll be back. And then, we need to have a talk. A very serious one. What I need to tell you may seem crazy, but I'll need you to listen carefully to what I'm going to say, Victor, and...and I'll need you believe me..." Mulder trailed off when he saw the look of confusion on his lover's face.

"Mulder, whatever you have to say, just say it. No matter what, I will always believe you." After a pause, Victor added, "Trust me" more firmly. He prayed to God that Mulder wasn't having second thoughts and was trying to back out of their relationship again.

"Vic...," Mulder started but then stopped and hesitated as he wasn't quite sure how to tell Victor about all that he knew—about the possibility of an apocalypse on the horizon due to alien colonization that was almost inevitable. "There's a war brewing, Vic. A war that will be fought against creatures the likes of which you and most other human beings have never seen, let alone imagined. Scully and I are working to put a stop to the war, but I don't know if we will even make a difference. All we can do is try."

Mulder paused to gauge Victor's reaction. When nothing drastic was forthcoming, he continued. "Look...I'll explain more when I come back, but for now please, just...promise me you'll keep an open mind," Mulder implored. He had also planned on telling Victor about Krycek's visit to him late one night with the 'tip' he was 'interested' in, but he decided now wasn't the right time.

I'll tell him when I get back

"All right. Sure, Mulder. Anything you ask." Victor was actually a little doubtful about Mulder's talk of an impending war brought about by strange creatures, but since it seemed so important to him, he decided to try to believe in what he was saying. "I'll keep an open mind." He promised.

"Good, then I'll explain everything on the return visit. Okay?" Mulder reached over, grabbed Victor and kissed him roughly but briefly. Releasing him, Mulder opened the truck door and grabbed his gear as he started to step out. He looked back at Vic, whose lips were set in a straight line of determination, before leaving the car.

"I only want to keep you safe, spy-guy," he added and then with a lopsided grin, confessed, "After all...I do love you." And with those words he shut the door and made his way to the park's office.

Victor watched his lover until he was completely out of sight. Then he put the truck in drive and pulled out of the park office. As he drove on, he tried to think about other things, but his mind kept on wandering back to Mulder's ominous words about an approaching war.

###

Victor gave Mac a call after dropping Mulder off to see if he wanted a ride into the Agency, and was surprised to find that neither Mac nor LiAnne had been called into work. Mac didn't like the sound of it at all. He believed that if there was a 'situation' like the Director had said, then she would have called the whole team in. Mac thought it smelled like a set-up and Victor had to agree.

Once in the truck, Mac immediately set about burying the embarrassing business of the morning once and for all. He turned to Vic and said, "Look, Vic, about this morning...I'm really sorry I was such an asshole. Actually, I was hallucinating about LiAnne...that she was the one who was looking after me...and...well things just got really mixed up and you know...."

Victor nodded of his head, so Mac continued, "You know, Victor...IóI love you too, but it's like you said, were like the brothers. Not only that, you're my partner and I trust you with my life."

Mac stopped there and smiled. He thought that Victor was buying his whole story. Mac always believed himself to be a good liar, a lifetime spent with dishonest, unscrupulous, and murderous thieves had shown him how to be truly great at it.

"I know, Mac," Victor said. "Look, it's okay. I understand. I'm sorry about this morning too. I shoulda known better than to get all worked up over the words of a delirious man."

He laughed lightly and shook his head. Even though he knew Mac was lying, he played along to convince Mac he believed in his tale.

Better to just let things go Victor decided to himself.

###

Victor pushed open the doors and led the way into the Director's large office. Mac followed close behind on Victor's heels. Both men stopped in the room when they saw that as usual, the Director was nowhere to be found. They plopped themselves down side by side in two of the three large black leather chairs to wait.

After a moment, the two men heard clicks on the wooden floor behind them, signaling their boss' arrival. Mac and Vic swung in tandem and came face-to-face with a very pissed-off looking Director. She narrowed her eyes at Victor and resumed slowly walking around behind the table, not once taking her steely glare off of the man. Only after watching the two men squirm in the uncomfortable silence for several minutes, did she finally speak up, "I thought I told you to come alone Victor." She ground out, intentionally ignoring Mac.

Victor smiled nervously, glanced at Mac and then said after clearing his throat, "No, I believe you said that we had a 'situation' and I was to get my ass down here as soon as possible."

Mac was amazed to see the Director narrow her glare even more. It was obvious she was completely pissed and Mac could guess why. He and Victor figured that she had probably discovered the missing blackmail tapes. Both of them had hoped, however, that it would take her longer than a day to find out.

The Director, unimpressed with Victor's flippant attitude, looked at Mac and said to the silent agent, "Get out. You weren't asked to come in. Go home and put some ice on those black eyes. You look like shit." As an afterthought she added, "Fighting in the bars again?"

Mac sucked in his bottom lip and chewed on it briefly before saying, "Victor asked me to come." He shrugged his shoulders as if that should explain everything. He didn't dare to offer up and explanation as to how he got his bruises.

The Director looked from Mac to Vic and then back again. "Oh I see," she said with a smirk playing around her mouth. "It's like that, is it? Victor asked you to come with him, did he?" her eyebrows rose with a silent question.

"Like what?" questioned Victor, not liking the implications the Director was making. "Just what are you suggesting?" His tone was deep and tinged with anger.

"I'm not implying anything, Victor. Why are you so paranoid?" The Director did not wait for an answer to her question but said instead, "I need to talk to you. In private. Unless, of course, you want to air out your dirty laundry in front of Mac." She continued to glare at Victor, making a hmmph sound when he did not immediately answer.

Wisely Mac chose to be seen and not heard. Victor may not be afraid of the Director but he sure as hell was. After another round of the staring contest between Director and agent, Victor blinked and said calmly, "Anything you have to say you can say in front of Mac. He's my partner. We have no secrets." Victor was not going to let the Director push him around anymore.

"All right. Fine." The Director shrugged as if it didn't really matter. "Last night someone broke into my office and stole some...surveillance tapes of mine. Surveillance footage of you Victor, to be exact. At first I thought it was random; you know, an agent gone bad, looking for the goods on me and the other Directors. But I checked around and it seems that I was the only one whose security was breached. So I say to my self, 'hmmm...'" the Director held her elbow in one hand and used the finger of the other to tap at her temple, "...who would want to steal some videotapes with Victor on them? Well the only conclusion I can come too is...you." The director shook her finger at Vic like he was a naughty child being reprimanded. "You must've stolen my tapes, Victor. But now since you've brought your partner along, I see that this little B&E was probably a tandem effort."

The Director suddenly slammed both of her hands flat on the tabletop in front of the men, the loud slapping noise made both of the men jump in their seats. "I want those tapes back Victor, and I want them back right now!" she bellowed into the agent's face.

Bravely, Victor smiled slyly at the Director and said. "I don't know what you're talking about. Last night Mac and I were in the bar drinking. That's how he got the bruises." Vic raised his palm toward Mac, who simply gave the Director a small half-smile. "We weren't anywhere near the Agency last night."

The Director wanted to slap the smirk right off of Victor's face, instead she turned to Mac and said, "Leave us. I want to talk to Vic in private."

Mac, not wanting to tempt fate again, stood and said to Victor, "I'll wait for you outside, okay?"

Impatient for Mac to leave, the Director snapped, "Yes, Mac, I'm sure it's okay. Don't worry, I'm not going to shoot him. Or at least I don't think I am. Would you just go?!"

Mac walked out of the room and nonchalantly Victor watched him go. He knew that now he was the one who held all the cards. If the Director had had another set of tapes of Mulder and him, she would not be so anxious to get the missing ones he had back. Victor figured she had probably meant to copy them but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Too bad for her

He thought with satisfaction as he swivelled around in his chair.

The director waited until the door was fully closed behind Mac before she spoke. "Look Victor, I know it was you who broke in here last night. You and—judging by the guilty look on his face—Mac."

She stabbed her finger in the air toward Victor, "You think you've won, haven't you? Well you may have won this battle but the war is far from over. Got it? If I ever find the proof that you were in here, I'll kill you myself. Capice?"

Then, knowing that she had been defeated on this matter, she swallowed hard and said more gently, "Well you're free to go Victor. Leave the Agency if you want. I have nothing to hold you to us now."

Victor stood up suddenly and pushed his chair away with the backs of his knees. He was angry—angry that the director had started this whole thing in the first place. "No, I won't resign, only because I still believe in what we're doing here is right. But I swear to God you had better keep the 'eyes and ears' out of my apartment from now on. You caught me unaware once, but it won't happen again. Believe me."

Victor took a deep breath, collected himself and then said calmly, "I'll be in Monday morning bright and early." And in a final display of rebellion, he puckered his lips and kissed the air, making a smacking noise. "See-ya," he called as he headed for the door.

Once outside of the office, he found Mac, who was leaning against a post. Mac immediately straightened and went over to stand beside his partner. "Everything okay?" he asked.

Victor turned to Mac and gave his partner a beautiful smile. A genuine smile, the first real one Mac had seen in ages. Victor's green eyes shone from the flourescent overhead lighting. "Everything's fine, Mac. Just fine." Victor threw a friendly arm over Mac's shoulder and said, "Let's go get a beer and celebrate my freedom."

Mac added a cheery, "Yahhh" and then down the hall they went.

THE VERY END OF THIS SERIES

###

pansy64@hotmail.com

This series is the second half to the Monday Morning Mansfield serial. A little better written than the first, or at least I hope so. It would be a very good idea to have read the MMM's first before starting on this one.
WARNING: the following body of work is very dark, with disturbing content throughout the chapters. It may not be for every one.
Also when reading this, it would help for you to know that I wrote my villain "Jack" with Richard Burgi -UPN's The Sentinal- in mind. That's who my bad guy looks like, pretty good looking bad guy eh!
In order not to clog up the actual story pages I will print all disclaimers right here. Having said that please be aware that italics indicate internal thoughts of character and to my knowledge there is no Ballard park in the city of Toronto. Having never been there, and being a Westcoaster my entire life, I had to make up some of the details.
Thanks to Sickleweed for beta reading the origional O.A.T-The net serial stories. I re-wrote, re-vamped the series totally on my own. It was just something I wanted to do. Therefore any and all mistakes relating to grammar/continutiy are purely my own. I do not own any characters mentioned with the exception of Jack, Dr. Anwar and Darla, the receptionist.
No infringements on copyrights held is intended.
Demi-X.

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]