Go to notes and disclaimers
Part Seven: Allies and Enemies
Part Eight: Nightmares and Night terrors
Part Nine: The Bumpy Road of Recovery
Part Ten: Honesty is not always the best policy


Once a Thief: The Net Serial
by Demi-X


Part Six
Flight or fight


T he door knob rattled and then the lock click open. The bead of sweat that had formed on the back of Victor's neck broke away and rolled slowly down his naked spine. In just a few short seconds, Victor knew that he would be fighting for his life, the element of surprise, his only advantage in the situation. It seemed to take Jack forever to coming through the door; the seconds ticked away like minutes. And during that dead time, Victor lay perfectly still not daring to move even an inch. He forced himself to keep his breathing even; resisting the impulse to take flight instead of fight.

###

Jack opened the door and entered the room. He smiled at the sight of Victor's back; admiring his own handiwork that he had left behind. The once pristine canvass of his captives broad back was now covered in bruises ranging in color from deep purple to almost black. The beating had caused his flesh to split wide open in about 10 places. A few of those welts had scabbed over but others were still weeping slightly. The rest of the weals, about another 20 in total, were raised and colored a deep, angry red. Dried blood had stuck to all of the cuts, staining the flesh like macabre tear drops.

Jack could just make out the gash that the belt buckle had left behind on Victor's right cheek bone; the accompanying black eye spreading in size down his face. In Jack's sick and twisted vision, Victor was just beautiful and just as desirable as he was when he had first been taken.

On the tray that he was holding was the next dosage of drugs along with a few other goodies. Jack elbowed the door shut behind himself, but did not take the time to lock it.

He was already getting hard with just the sight of the shackled man and Jack rubbed at his crotch lewdly and licked his dry lips. The madman went over to the small bed and knelt behind Victor. He ran a calloused hand over Victor's bare shoulder and down his arm, saying huskily, "Wake up Victor, I have a special treat in mind and it's for my pleasure only."

Oh, I just bet you do... Jack

Victor's eyes popped open. The moment he had been waiting for had arrived. All Victor had needed was for Jack to get close enough to him so that he would be able to use the metal knuckles that he had wrapped around his left fist.

Suddenly, Victor whirled around leading with his left fist, sitting up as he did so while balancing on his right hand. Jack was taken completely by surprise as Victor's left fist connected with Jack's right eye. Victor felt the orbital bone crunch under his knuckles.

Jack roared with the pain of having his cheek bone broken. Furious, he clutched at his damaged eye as he leapt after Victor who was making a mad dash for the door.

Victor yanked open the door, but he could see nothing on the other side except dark nothingness. He was about to step out of the room and into the unknown when Jack grabbed him around his waist with two strong arms and pulled him down.

As Victor fell, he hit his forehead on the metal door knob, splitting a large cut on his forehead where the roots of his hair met skin. Stunned by the force of the blow, Victor somehow managed to work his way up to his hands and knees. With his head hanging forward, and unaware that he was even cut, Victor watched dazed, as his own blood which was running from the gash, formed a large pool on the cement floor.

Staring spellbound into the puddle of crimson, Victor fought to reclaim his senses.

Seething with rage, Jack planted his foot firmly at the small of Victor's already abused back and pushed, using his thick thigh muscle to force the man back down to his stomach.

Victor landed in an ungainly heap, his chin hit the hard cement floor and his teeth bit into and cut his tongue deeply.

It was at that point that Jack sank down and straddled Victor's waist. Grabbing him on either side of his hips, he flipped him over so that the agent was face up.

Jack had planned on having sex with Victor, torturing him for a bit and then killing him. But now he would have to forgo the sex and pain part of the plan and jump right ahead to the killing part instead. Still atop of Victor, Jack wrapped his hands around the trapped man's throat and began to choke the agent while simultaneously banging his head against the hard cement floor.

Victor clawed at Jack's hands, frantically trying to break the grip of death that held him down. Meanwhile, Jack continued to hit Victor's head again and again against the floor. And blood, from the cut on his forehead, ran into Victor's eyes impairing his already hazy vision even further. Victor started seeing stars busting in front of his eyes and he had become light-headed.

Instinctually, Victor knew that if he didn't do something right now to break free of the hold Jack had on him, he would die.

So, in a last desperate attempt to save his own life, Victor stopped fighting with Jack's hands and flung out his right arm. The tips of his fingers touched the edge of the metal surgical tray and he immediately fought for purchase of it. When his fingers finally had a hold of it, he pulled the tray towards himself.

Dear God, he's going to kill me. Think Vic! THINK!

Victor gasped, all of his breath had left him now. His hand flew over the items on the tray and in a last ditch effort, he snatched up what he thought was perhaps a butter knife and plunged it, with all of might, between Jack's ribs. Luckily for Victor, the butter knife turned out to be a surgical scalpel and luckier still that the slim knife had slid between two ribs easily; slicing through the flesh like it was warm butter.

The scalpel sank directly into Jack's beating heart, killing the man instantly.

Jack's grip released automatically as his hands flew to the razor-sharp scalpel sticking out from his rib cage. The look in his eyes was one of shock and disbelief as he pulled the small knife out. He looked at the killing tool in his hand and then back to Victor, who was still laying below him fighting for oxygen; too disoriented to do or say anything else. Jack blinked once then fell forward, landing directly on top of Victor, his fist still clenched around the operating room instrument.

Victor was barely aware that he had actually prevented Jack from killing him. And before he was able to fully comprehend that he was still alive, Jack's limp body had fallen forward. The dead man's head smashing directly onto Victor's.

The dead weight on top of him was just too much for Victor to take. He was oxygen starved and concussed as well as being in a weakened state from the loss of blood. The nasty cut across his forehead was still running freely.

Unable to withstand the impact when Jack's head knocked his and in the instant after he had triumphed and killed his captor, Victor lost total consciousness.

His world suddenly went from seeing stars to complete blackness.

###

Mulder and Mac drove in complete silence to their destination. Fox Mulder, Mac soon discovered, was not a great conversationalist.

No wonder he and Victor are into each other.

Mac had tried several times to converse with the FBI agent, but all he got in reply to his questions were monosyllabic answers or grunts. Finally Mac gave up trying. Victor and Mulder were a perfect set of bookends in the young agents opinion.

###

Mulder had no patience for idle chitchat. He thought that Mac was an ok guy, though way more talkative than he preferred. He wasn't able to concentrate on what Mac was saying to him; he was so focused in on Victor right now. More specifically, on what was happening to Victor.

Vic... WHAT MUST he be going through?!

Mulder had visions of Victor being raped and tortured running around his brain.

It's my fault

Mulder couldn't help but feel that if he had done a more thorough job on the profile the first time around, when he had originally had the case, then this wouldn't have happened. He cleared his throat and said quietly to Mac who was now, just driving in a contemplative silence.

"Mac, you've known Victor along time. How is he in crisis situations? How much stuh... " Mulder faltered slightly. He swallowed deeply and continued, his eyes remaining straight ahead as if he was talking to the road in front of them. "...stuff can he take?"

Mac glanced sideways at the Agent. He could see worry and self-doubt written all over the man's face; despite the fact that he could only see him from the side. There were small lines of concern fanning out from the corner of the older man's left eye. Mulder was genuinely scared for Victor.

We'll find him, I know it

"Vic can look after himself. We've been trained to deal with hostage situations. How to escape them; stuff like that, you know" Mac had wanted to reassure Mulder and himself that Victor would be ok, but there was no real way of knowing that.

He could be dead already. Stop it. You don't know that.

"Yeah," Mulder replied morosely, "But of those situations how many of them taught you how to deal with a psychopathic sexual predator?" Mulder answered his own question, "None I bet. You were no doubt trained to deal with terrorists and mobsters..."

Mac interrupted Mulder's speech of doom by saying, "This isn't helping you know. You were called here to give an expert opinion to help locate MY Missing Partner. Now are you going to do that or are you going to plan his funeral before we even know what's happened to him?" Mac had emphasized 'My Missing Partner' and spoke more harshly than he had intended to. He had been slightly jealous when Mulder showed up, but from what he had seen so far, The Director could have saved some money and left Mulder at home instead. Mac was not however, unsympathetic to how the FBI agent felt. If there had been any doubt before, there was none now; it was obvious that Victor and Mulder had been lovers and still were, in a way. Distance had not broken the emotional bond between them.

Well I care too, god dammit! Mac drove on, wondering if the Great One had anymore to add. Pull yourself together, Mulder.

Mulder put his thoughts in order and turned in the car seat to face Mac as the younger man drove. He picked up the file on Jack and began to leaf through it.

"Well, judging by what we know about Jack, I would say that we are heading in the right direction."

Curious, Mac answered with a simple, "Yeah, why?"

"Well when I left the Profiling Dept., some fellow employees who worked the in the department were just starting to discover ways to profile a serial killer by the location of the abduction and murder scenes as well as studying the sites where the victims were dumped, that is if they were dumped. They took in all the relevant and seemingly irrelevant surroundings and fed them into the computer. The method of profiling a serial killer by studying his environment is being improved upon every day. Jack, you see, needs an area big enough to seek out the specific type of man that he wants. That's why he uses the parks located in big cities. In good weather like this they are full of potential victims just ripe for the picking. He zeros in on his next target and watches him. Logically speaking the targeted man should live fairly close to whatever park he frequents, right? It doesn't make sense to travel out of your way. Unless of course you're going to a specific park for an activity that is unattainable in the ones close to home. Am I making sense?" Mulder asked of Mac.

"Yep, go on" Mac was intrigued with what Mulder was telling him. He had never put that much thought into catching the bad guy before. The Director would always just tell him where to go and he'd go, with guns blazing.

"Ok, so Jack spots Victor in the park one day, a totally random sighting probably. Picks him out as a perfect match for the type of games he likes to play but he's not alone or maybe he's in a crowd, whatever. No problem, he simply follows Victor around. Sees that he lives nearby, watches him closely and then bides his time until he can catch him alone and unaware. Ok, so he manages to snatch Victor somehow, not even realizing that the man he has taken is a resourceful Government Agent." Mulder's voice had some hope in it now. "He won't be driving because it's too much of a hassle. He has to have Victor stashed somewhere near his hunting grounds right?" Mulder asked the question, not really seeking a answer, but in his peripheral vision he saw Mac nod in agreement.

The other man was listening in rapt silence. "But wherever it is it has to be... " Mulder held up a finger for each one of his points made, ... "One. Close enough to carry a 185 lb man; Two, secluded enough that no one, even if they're looking will find him; and Three... Soundproof enough to muffle the screams of a man being tortured." The 3rd shook both men deeply. "Is there any place like that in the neighborhood where we're looking?"

Mac had been totally absorbed by what Mulder was telling him. He thought about the buildings and houses around the farthest edge of the park. For an industrial area, it was still pretty heavily forested. And there was a small rancher Mac recalled, that was tucked between two abandoned storage houses.

Just a good of place to start as any.

"Yeah, I think I know a house that might fit the bill." Mac looked at Mulder when he said this, then he pressed his foot down on the gas pedal to accelerate his BMW. He felt a hell of a lot more positive about a good outcome now than he had 30 minutes ago. At least they had a place to start.

###

The agents parked their car about half a block up the street from the location that Mac thought would be the most likely spot to start at.

In between two immense storage facilities that were no longer in use; a small single story house was tucked away. The paint on the exterior was faded and peeling and white Morning Glory had taken over the entire outside of the building. Mac and Mulder exited the car at he same time, both men taking care to shut their doors quietly. Neither one of them wanted to alert Jack (if he was even there) to their presence. They drew their guns and Mac silently motioned with his head towards the small vine covered dwelling. Mulder followed Mac's gesture with his eyes and nodded in reply. Separating at the car, each of them took a different route to the house. Mulder ran up the street silently, ducking in behind large garbage bins and piles of refuse to hide his presence. Mac, on the other side of the quiet street, did the same.

When they reached the edge of the property Mulder signaled that he would go around back. Mac okayed and relayed that he would check out the front. From where Mulder was standing he could just see the very top corner of Victor's apartment building. The street they were standing on was on the outer edge of the Southern side of the park, the area was heavily treed and hidden away from prying eyes. The abandoned buildings all around ensured privacy.

Mac's right, this has to be the house.

This was a perfect hide-out to keep someone. The two men parted again, each of them alert and holding their weapons in a ready to fire position.

Mulder crouched down low and quickly peeked around the corner. Nothing there. He called on all of his training, peering around this and looking over that. He did not want to be ambushed before he even entered the house. From somewhere within the dwelling, Mulder could hear the thrum of a generator.

Mulder stood beside the door and held on to the knob, his heart pounding. The area around the back yard showed signs of occupation-the grass was trampled slightly and the Morning Glory had been cut away from the back door.

This must be where Jack is entering and exiting from.

Mulder heard a twig snap and he immediately froze; only his eyes moved, sweeping them from side to side. The rush of adrenaline churned his insides like a tidal whirlpool.

Mac turned the corner and was greeted by the muzzle of Mulder's 38. Mac waved the gun away. Leaning in close to Mulder he whispered into his ear, "No way to get in from the front. The door is nailed shut and so are the windows."

Mulder swept his head towards the back yard and whispered back, "Looks like someone is coming and going from this way. Ready?"

Mac moved to the other side of the door across from Mulder, "Let's do it," he mouthed.

Mulder twisted the knob and opened the door while he squatted down low, aiming his gun and looking at all angles through the door way. Mac did the same, only he remained standing. The men entered the kitchen. Everything was dusty and dirty, but there were dishes in the sink and food wrappers on the counter. Someone had been here or was still here. Mulder opened up the old fashioned refrigerator that no longer hummed with electricity. In it he found several bottles of water sitting in a large pot of ice that was only half melted.

Mac looked over Mulder's shoulder into the fridge and then whirled around searching.

Someone WAS still here or why else the ice and water?

Mulder walked silently over to a wooden door that was closed. It had at one time been painted white, but most of the paint had long since chipped away. He grabbed the knob and started to open it very gently, wincing slightly when it squeaked. Both men listened intently, but neither of them could hear sounds of habitation. The door had a set of steep stairs hidden behind it that led to some sort of a basement. Mulder pointed to himself and then the stairs, indicating that he would check out downstairs. He pulled out a small palm-size halogen flashlight from his overcoat pocket and turning it on, gun and light together he descended the dark, narrow stairwell. Mac watched for a second before going off on his own search of the rest of the main floor of the seemingly deserted place.

When Mulder reached the bottom of the stairs, he swept the beam of his flashlight all around, noting the grey cement walls. The silence in the basement deafening him.

You wouldn't be able to hear a thing from the street with these walls.

Carefully, he searched for signs of life, surveying his surroundings and memorizing them. An accurate knowledge of the area would come in handy in case he had to make a run for it.

His powerful light caught a reflection of something metallic. While keeping the beam of light on the object, he walked over and saw that there were several surgical trays standing cluttered together in the corner. On top of one of the trays there were medical instruments such as scalpels and tweezers.

What the hell?

On another tray Mulder saw packaged needles and rubber tubing mixed with assorted drug related gear and on yet another tray he saw the most disturbing items of all; handcuffs and a chain along with a leather ball gag.

Bondage paraphernalia?

The contents of the last tray alarmed Mulder Where's Victor? He has to be here!

He left the trays and walked over to a table that resembled something you would see in a operating room. Except that, the padded table had leg and arm extensions, and on those extensions there were heavy leather restraints.

Was Victor strapped down to this table?

He shone the light up and down the table looking for...what? He didn't know. Mulder's trained eyes spied several brown spots on the surface of the beige colored padding ranging in size from a dime to approximately the diameter of a soda can. Placing his flashlight down so that he could look closer at the spots, he reached out with his left hand to touch them. Just as he suspected, blood. Even though it was dry, any practiced agent could tell what it was, Mulder had a sinking feeling that it was Victor's.

After not being to hear or see any signs that someone was still in the basement and growing tired of the darkness, Mulder washed the walls with his flashlight, looking for a switch or a fuse box. He found both so he walked over to the switch and turned it on; only the basement seemed to be equipped with lights.

Mulder expected to be bathed in brightness, but he was only greeted by a single dim bulb hanging high over head of the empty table.

It'll do.

Mulder shut off his flashlight and took a closer look at his surroundings. Stark and barren was what came to his mind first. Even with this little amount of light he could see almost the whole basement. He looked up at the ceiling, feeling reassured that he could still hear Mac creeping around upstairs. Mulder scanned around, his eyes coming to rest on a small half door located under the stairs.

Mulder's first thought was storage? then perfect for hiding!. Gun to the ready, Mulder walked cat-like over to the little door.

Sinking to his haunches while with his back against the wall, he reached out and flung open the door, sending the knob crashing into the opposite wall of where he was crouched. A dull light washed out of the open door, pointing his gun, Mulder turned quickly into the threshold and then stared, paralyzed by what he saw...

###

Mac finished combing the main floor for signs of Victor. The only signs that he had found which indicated that someone was living here was in one of the bedrooms; there was a single mattress on the floor covered with a sleeping bag and at the foot of the mattress there was a duffle bag. The total contents inside the bag consisted of two complete changes of clothes, a Polaroid camera with 6 pictures left on the film, 5 wrapped needles, Is this guy diabetic?, and a box of un-lubricated condoms .

Condoms?

In the bathroom he found men's shaving effects, a very grubby towel, a face cloth along with a toothbrush though no paste could be seen and a bar of generic white soap.

The bathtub held three large containers of water. The bottles were similar to the ones used in an office building. Mac assumed the water was for flushing the toilet and washing. As he was finishing up his inspection, the agent spied the corner of a manilla colored envelope peeking out from under the mattress. He squatted down and pulled it out, dumping its contents on the gray sleeping bag. Mac stared at the items, then picked up a stack of the instant photo's and looked through them, studying the pictures.

All of the Polaroids were of Victor. Victor leaving his apartment building, Victor entering his building, Victor coming out of shops or just standing still waiting at a cross walk. Several of them were taken in the park. Even a few of the photos had Mulder in them. In those, Mulder's face had been scribbled over with blue ink, but Mac could still tell it was the FBI Agent. All of the pictures had been snapped during daylight hours. Mac guessed that Jack wouldn't risk using a flash bulb; Victor would notice something like that. He wondered briefly where Jack had hidden to take these; some of the shots were taken at a very close distance.

He put the Polaroids carefully back in the envelope. In every one Victor was either smiling (the Mulder shots) or was straight-faced and serious (the alone shots). In Mac's opinion, Vic looked nothing less than stunningly handsome in all of them.

Could he even take a bad picture?

With a pang of longing, Mac pushed away his inappropriate thoughts of Victor. Taking the envelope with him, he left the bedroom and passed through the kitchen.

There was no doubt in Mac's mind now that this was where Jack had been staying. When he reached the top of the stairs he heard a crash. Mac threw the envelope onto the counter top and drew his weapon. Suddenly, he heard Mulder yelling out his name with urgency, telling him that he had found Victor and to call 911. Mac holstered his gun and started down the stairs taking two at a time while pulling out his cell phone...

###

Mulder was staring at Victor through yet another doorway, only this one was full-sized. He was laying flat on his back with blood covering most his face, as well as having a large pool of it underneath his head. The scarlet liquid spreading out from underneath him to form a imperfect circle about one foot in diameter. From his position, Mulder was also able to see that Victor had blood all over his bare chest as well.

OH MY GOD!

There was a man lying on top of Victor, Jack, Mulder assumed, covering most of the agent's body. The guy seemed to be bleeding too. Though it felt like minutes to Mulder, it actually had taken him only a couple of seconds to absorb the grisly scene and then shout for Mac, "MAC. MAC COME QUICK! IT'S VIC, CALL 911!

###

Part Seven: Allies and Enemies

Mac reached the bottom of the rickety stairs at the same time as he pushed an unmarked button on his cell phone. The pre-programmed number dialed through to the Agency's infirmary/emergency room automatically. Mac had phoned this number only once before; the last time was when Victor had been shot and at the same time, LiAnne had called out rather dramatically, that she had broken her leg. The phoned beeped through and was answered on the first ring.

"What's the emergency Mac?" asked a male voice.

Mac thought the operator must of have call display because he did not recognize the calm masculine voice that spoke to him. Because reception was fuzzy already, Mac had to squat in the frame of the small half-door and recite what he was seeing. His task was impaired by Mulder, who was rolling a body that look like Jack's off of an unconscious Victor, thus blocking his view in the process.

Mulder glanced quickly over his shoulder, acknowledging Mac with a look before turning back to start checking to see if Victor was still alive.

Mac could not believe all the blood that he was seeing and he hoped to God that it wasn't all Victor's. Swallowing down the lump in his throat Mac said a lot more calmly than he felt, "It's Victor, he's down. Yes again!" He impatiently snapped into the phone.

Mac pulled out his key chain as he talked and depressed a small yellow button on his automatic lock/unlock device for his car; thereby setting off his location beacon so that the medic-team could find them.

"There's a lot of blood. I don't know what happened to him." It was then that Mac caught a glint of silver lying on the floor. Seeing the scalpel covered in blood, Mac's eyes widened and he uttered in panic into the phone, "Shit, I think he's been stabbed! Hurry up and get a team out here! Okay, were in a small house between the old Atlas and North Shore storage houses. It's covered in green plant stuff... I don't know ! Christ I'm not a fucking botanist!"

Mac was distressed over Victor's condition. He wanted to be in there helping Mulder, who was glancing his way wide-eyed and yelling "Hurry up." Not answering questions about what kind of ivy was growing out front. "Look, I gotta go; Agent Mulder needs my help. It's the only house on this street for Christsake's. They can't miss it!" Frustrated Mac hung up on the man on the other end, before another stupid question could be posed to him.

###

After Mulder had shouted for Mac to come and help, he re-holstered his own gun and scrambled into the hidden room. Climbing right over the prone men, he began pulling Jack off of Victor. Mulder looked up when he heard Mac on the phone asking for help. He could hear Mac shouting and saw that the other man seemed to be arguing with someone.

Isn't he supposed to be talking to 911?

Mulder turned to him and yelled a panicky, "Hurry up." Grunting, he finally managed to pull Jack off of Victor and drag the limp body a few feet away. Being partnered with a medical doctor in certain situations had its advantages; this was one of those instances.

Mulder, who had seen Scully perform the same procedure hundreds of times, stuck two shaky fingers up against Victor's carotid artery. Relief washed through him when he felt a strong but fast pulse rate. He grabbed a small white cloth that was laying near a tray and hastily folded it up and pressed the material to Victor's forehead, trying to stop the cut from bleeding out more. Mac, in the meantime, had put away his phone and was crawling over to where Mulder and Victor were.

Seeing that Mulder seemed to have apparently forgotten that there was another wounded man in the room, Mac scurried over to Victor's captor and felt for a pulse at the neck, the same way as Mulder had done. Mac didn't do this out of sympathy for another injured person, for all he cared the man could be dying right in front of his eyes, Jack would not receive any help from either one of the agents. He was only checking to see if Jack was still alive out of necessity; presumed "dead" people sometimes tended to rear up at just the wrong moments. Mac had no wish to be shot or stabbed in the back; one casualty was enough.

"He's dead," Mac announced indifferently.

"GOOD!" Replied Mulder after Mac informed him of Jack's death.

Saves me the trouble of killing him.

Mac came over and knelt down on the other side of Victor, sitting across from Mulder he asked hesitantly, "Victor..Is he...?" With all that blood on him it was hard for Mac to tell

"He's alive." Mulder replied monotone, it was really all Mulder could do to keep his emotions on a tight leash. He wanted to pick Victor up and hug him close and cry for joy that he was still alive, but Mulder could hardly do that in front of the man's partner. So instead he tried to act professionally detached. "I think he's only unconscious, at least I hope he isn't comatose. Most of the blood seems to have come from Jack over there." Mulder pointed unnecessarily towards the corpse.

He looked directly into Mac's deep brown eyes and continued on, blinking back his emotions. "The only open wound I can see is the cut right here." Mulder removed the makeshift bandage and lifted what little bangs Victor had, showing Mac the cut. It had stopped streaming blood and was now just dripping at a slow pace. Two large tear-shaped drops broke away, slowly sliding down the right temple of the motionless Victor.

Mac stared down onto the face of the man, who in the beginning, he had tried to hate, but never really could. They had grown closer over time and forged their own bond of friendship above and beyond LiAnne. Looking down now at the battered face of his best and only friend, Mac was speechless. Trying to describe his feelings was impossible. Victor looked so young and vulnerable. His usual scowl was smoothed out and if Mac hadn't known better he would have thought that he was merely asleep. Mac supposed, that in a way, he was. The torture Victor had endured in his captivity was evident. From the pair of blackened eyes to the purplish-red skin burn ringing his neck; Victor was a mess. Mac also thought he saw a large hickey next to a bite mark on Victor's chest, but he couldn't be positive because of all of the blood that was on Victor obscured his view. Mac tore his eyes away from Vic and looked to Mulder for confirmation of the surface damage done to his partner. What he saw was a pair of hazel eyes that were shiny with unshed tears. Mac quickly averted his gaze back down to Victor and pretended not to notice what he had seen.

Mulder was not ashamed of his feelings for Victor, but he did however, think that Victor would not be impressed to have him crying over his body either. So After a minute Mulder pinched the bridge of his nose and quickly swiped at the corners of his eyes. Giving a wet sniff Mulder ran his hand over Victor's torso and continued on with his amateur check-up of his condition. "His chest's fine. He's hasn't been stabbed anywhere that I can see or feel at least. I don't know exactly what this guy did to him, but Victor took one hell of a beating, that's for sure," Mulder said sadly. He gently ran his finger tips over the now scabbed over cut on Victor's right cheek bone.

You poor bastard, what did he do to you?

"Judging by the bruises," Mulder pointed to the extensively damaged areas on the neck, "Jack must have been choking him and somehow Victor managed to grab the blade over there and stick it in him." Mulder kept thinking of Scully and what she would do.

Check out the rest of him, that's what.

"Here." Mulder said to Mac. "Help me roll him over. On the count of three, push him my way. Ready?"

Mac nodded and said "Yep." Mulder counted down and on three Mac gently pushed the unconscious man towards Mulder's lap. Mulder caught and held Victor's position. Neither man was ready for what he saw. Mac gasped and exclaimed loudly, "Holy Shit!"

Mulder put one hand to his mouth and swore emphatically. "FUCK !" The ruined condition of Victor's once beautiful back shocked the hell out of him. Mulder considered himself to be a hardened agent, he had seen a lot of violence in his years at the bureau, but to see violence, like this, committed against someone he cared about, was another story. It was not so easy to deal with when you know the victim.

Mac didn't need Agent Mulder to tell him that Vic had been beaten with a belt and that the buckle had been the culprit in creating so much ruin. Unfortunately, Mac had once been on the receiving end of a beating with a leather belt; actually, more than once. The bruises on his partner's back were still deepening in colour and some of the welts still bled and wept. Mac knew from experience that cleaning those wounds would with out a doubt hurt the most.

Mulder stared unblinking, wishing that Jack was alive so he could kill him all over again himself. He looked at his wristwatch and then snapped at Mac, "Where the hell is the ambulance? You did call 911 right?"

The look on Mac's face told it all; of course he hadn't called 911, "NO, I called the agency." He looked at his own watch and saw that 12 minutes had gone by already; they should be here soon. "It's policy to look after our own. The chopper will be here any minute." After receiving a hard glare from Mulder, Mac added, "A doctor and a medic-team will be flying in to look after him. It's better than the hospital. Trust me." As if on cue, both Mac and Mulder heard the door upstairs being crashed in and then heavy footsteps overhead.

"RAMSEY!" Shouted an unfamiliar voice.

"Down the stairs" Shouted Mac. He reluctantly left Victor's side to guide the medical team to where they were.

Mulder maneuvered himself so that Victor's head was in his lap but was still resting on his left side. Taking advantage of Mac's brief absence Mulder ran his fingers through the hair on the top of Victor's head while whispering to him softly that everything was going to be alright now.

No thanks to me.

Mulder was overflowing with guilt. He heard a soft moan and saw that Victor had opened up his blackened right eye and was looking up at him.

"Fox, is that really you?" Victor asked, his voice low and raspy.

"It's me." Mulder smiled down at the man in his lap, not even noticing that a fat tear had left his eye and landed in Victor's short hair. He ran the tip of his finger gently over the parts of the younger man's face that were not battered.

Victor returned Mulder's smile with a small, shaky grin of his, this one, showing none of his teeth. "I knew someone would come for me. But I thought it would be Mac and LiAnne." Victor saw the anxiety in his lovers eyes, "Don't worry Fox, I'll be okay." Victor raised his arm and gripped Mulder's wrist, trying to re-assure the man as much as himself.

Mulder chuckled softly and ran his finger lightly over Victor's battered lips, "Mac's here. Directing your rescue squad. God, I should be trying to make you feel better, not the other way around." Mulder chided himself.

Victor blinked twice. He felt like he was going to pass out again, he spoke in a half whisper to Mulder, "I want you to be there at the hospital when I wake up Fox. Promise me."

"I promise, Vic. I will."

Victor finally allowed himself to shut his eyes and he blacked out again, with Mulder still cradling his head.

Mulder's fingers could feel a large lump on the back of Victor's head and he worried that Victor might have a concussion. He was relieved when the Doctor and his team finally rushed into the room with all of the necessary equipment. Mulder gently pulled himself out from under Victor and lay his head on the small pillow that came with the portable stretcher. He stood up and backed away a few steps, then left the room. Standing side by side, shoulder touching shoulder with Mac, both men watched silently as the efficient medical crew assessed Victor's condition. After a moment Mac pulled out his cell phone and dialed the Director's number to let her know what was going on.

###

Mulder, Mac and LiAnne all impatient, hung around the waiting room of the Agency's infirmary. Victor was safely ensconced behind two opaque, rippled glass doors, but they were not allowed to go in to see him; the watchdog receptionist at the counter by the doors saw to that. So close and yet so far away. No one had bothered to come out to tell them anything either.

Mulder was pacing the short distance between the doors leading to Victor and the clear glass doors that lead to a long hall way. Back and forth he went, counting off the 6 paces mentally, had his strides been shorter it would have been 8 steps. He would reach the end and then spin around on his heel and walk back to where he had come from, repeating the process over and over again.

His pacing was driving LiAnne crazy, but she said nothing. She only glared at him, shooting him full of imaginary bullets.

Mulder, of course took no notice of her or her angry stare. He only had time for thoughts of Victor and Victor alone. He kept going over all of the what ifs again and again.

Mac chose to pass the time by sprawling sideways in an overstuffed chair with his eyes closed, going over tai-chi moves in his head. The imaginary tai-chi also helped to calm himself.

The three of them had already been waiting there for over two hours. Victor had been flown in by the Agency's chopper; the journey taking only 15 minutes. Mac and Mulder had to drive back on their own, it was mostly a silent trip that took them only 40 minutes to drive. Arriving at the agency a full 20 minutes faster then it had originally took them to get to Jack's hideaway. Mac, had broken every speed law and ignored every road sign possible just to get back as fast as he could, not knowing that they wouldn't even be able to see Victor right away any ways.

LiAnne had joined them shortly after their arrival at the infirmary, she had come with Dobrinski. But he had left her waiting there with the other two men while he went off to find the Director.

Mac had began to contemplate going to look for the Director on his own, when he saw her marching down the hall with Dobrinski by her side.

Dobrinski held the glass door open for her and followed her in.

"What's going on with Victor? Anyone know?" The Director looked at all three of them, waiting for her question to be answered. All three agents shrugged their shoulders in time with their head shakes.

LiAnne spoke first, "No one knows a thing. According to Darla over there..." The receptionist at the desk looked up at the mention of her name but then went back to her own work when she saw that she was not involved in the conversation, "...He's still being examined. No one will talk to us, and we aren't allowed in to see him," LiAnne said petulantly.

"Yeah" Mac chimed in after, "No info, no entrance. Typical Agency procedure." He rolled his eyes and looked from the Director to Mulder who, Mac was glad to see, had stopped pacing but obviously did not plan on adding to the conversation.

"Well," the Director stated firmly, "I'll go see what's going on. Wait here."

Not that the three of them had any choice in the matter.

Marching purposefully, The Director disappeared through the doors leading into the examining rooms. Dobrinski remained behind to wait with the three of them. She returned a few minutes later with a pleasant-faced man with deep brown skin who looked to be in his late 30's. The Director introduced the man as Dr. Anwar, and judging by his soft accent, Mulder placed him as having come from Jamaican descent. After the introductions were done Dr. Anwar got down to business.

He flipped open the metal clip board that held Victor's medical charts and recited the results to the expectant crowd, "Well first off let me tell you that Mr. Mansfield is going to be ok." Dr. Anwar noticed the look of relief that showed on everyone's face. "He has a mild concussion that will leave him with a headache for a few days, but there should be no lasting damage as a result. He was awake, by the way, for the exam.

As for his other injuries: there is no permanent damage to his windpipe beyond a hoarse throat and a friction burn mixed in with a whole cluster of bruises that will last up to a couple of weeks."

The Doctor looked up from his chart and saw that everyone was listening intently to every word he said. Flipping the page he looked down to his own notes and continued on, "We stitched up the cut in the hairline on his forehead. It was fairly deep and took 12 of my best sutures to close it up. But there won't be a visible scar when it's all healed, and the small laceration on his cheek took...lemme see..." He flipped to yet another page, "...Oh here it is, 4 stitches to close. Unfortunately and depending on how well his skin heals, he will have a small scar from that. Nothing too noticeable though."

Dr. Anwar smiled and said lightly, "I told him it would just add some character to his face. Um.., the welts on his back were another matter, open weals can very nasty. Victor says that they were the result of his being strapped with a leather belt and buckle. The marks should heal on their own and we cleansed them all..." Mac inwardly winced at the mention of the cleansing of the open cuts, "...and bandaged up the ones that were the worst. The rest just needed to be air dried."

The Doctor coughed lightly into his hand before scanning over his chart again. He finally closed it, the pages hitting together made a soft clapping noise. "Now along with the blackened eyes and various other minor bumps and bruises that will heal in time, his overall blood stores needs to be built up again. Agent Mansfield needs to eat a diet of foods high in iron over the next few days. In consideration of his shrunken stomach and the state of dehydration he's in, I would recommend supplementing what little he can eat with multi-vitamin tablets containing iron. He can go home tomorrow morning."

"But," the Doctor's tone of voice turned more serious, "...there's something else you should know. Even though Agent Mansfield denies being sexually assaulted by anal penetration—and the rape kit I performed on him backs up his claim—I think there is enough evidence to prove that something did happen. Exactly what, I can't say for sure. He was very tight-lipped about the whole ordeal."

"What exactly are you getting at Doctor?" Everyone standing there was thinking the same question but it was Dobrinski who asked it.

"What I mean is that even though he wasn't raped in the traditional sense, sexual assault may still have occurred . He has several bite marks on his chest and a few hickey like marks that are a couple of days old."

Mulder's eyes widened with the last comment. He hoped that the hickeys the Doctor were referring to were the one's made by him.

Dr. Anwar looked to the Director and said to her, "Mr. Mansfield had at first adamantly refused our suggestion to perform a rape kit. He argued vigorously against it, but knowing the perp's history and with Victor being drugged and unconscious for some of his time in captivity, I insisted on running those tests. Just in case. I also ran a complete drug screen after I found the two puncture marks on the inside of his elbow...he came up positive for heroin, and a trace amounts of a drug known to knock you un-conscious .

Victor claims that he was only injected twice with the heroin, and judging by the fact that he has shown no signs of de-toxing from the drug, it's safe to assume that he is in no danger of becoming a habitual user. He did say that both times the needles were from fresh packages. The knock out drug entered his system when he was first taken, that's how your perp managed to grab Victor. Also, I did an HIV test, with his permission of course, but I think his risk of exposure was minimal. He will receive the results when they come back... in confidence of course."

That last thing Mac would have thought those needles he found were for shooting Victor up with drugs.

So that's what the needles were for!

The Director nodded her head in affirmation of what the Doctor had told her. "When can he go back to work?" If this cold attitude shocked the Doctor he did not let on.

"Well, to be honest ma'am, he shouldn't even be going home tomorrow. I told him that he would need 2 or 3 days in the infirmary to recover, then another week at home after that. But he insisted on going home tomorrow morning." The Doctor smiled before continuing, "He even said that he had friends who would help him sneak out if I didn't let him go, he intimated to me that they were trigger happy..."

The Doctor did laugh at that point then commented on Victor having a "big pair of cojones to threaten an Agency Doctor."

"Give him a week off his feet then he can go back to light, desk duty." Recommended the doctor.

All five people listening knew that Victor would not like desk duty one bit. But the Director called the shots and she personally did not care what Victor would or would not like.

"He'll need a full psych exam and work up. Two weeks of recovery time should be enough for him; that is if Victor feels rested by then and if his psychiatrist approves. I must reiterate that it's important that you make him go and talk to one of the agency's shrinks about what happened. It's been in my experience that one does not just recover psychologically overnight from the ordeal such as Mr. Mansfield has been through. Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to work. "

"Fine, I make sure he sees an agency head doctor. Thank you, Dr. Anwar." The Director turned to her right-hand man and said, "Let's go Dobrinski. Mac, LiAnne, I need you in the office tomorrow morning, 10:00 am sharp. Mr. Mulder, it was nice meeting you. You can go home any time." The Director went up to Mulder and reached out to shake his hand.

When he complied she grabbed a hold of him and pulled him close; so close in fact that Mulder thought she was going to kiss him. Mulder leaned back slightly. The Director laughed and whispered quietly in his ear, "Take care of Victor. See that he gets back to his place tomorrow in one piece. After what he's been through, I'm sure he'll need a good psychologist to help him make it through the night." The Director backed away and turned to Dobrinski and with a nod of her head they left.

Mulder watched the Director walk away, wondering what her game was. With all of her innuendo and sly comments, she obviously thought she knew something about him and Victor. Exactly what Mulder wasn't sure. Either way it was really none of her business.

Before Dr. Anwar left the waiting area he asked, "Which one of you is named Fox Mulder?"

Slightly surprised, Mulder answered with, "That'll be me."

"Well can you come with me? Victor's been asking for you," said the Doctor amicably.

"What about us? We Are HIS partners," Mac stated emphatically. "I need to see him too."

"Me too." LiAnne piped in, jealous of Mulder.

"Sorry," the Doctor replied, "but one visitor at a time is enough for now. He'll be discharged first thing in the morning; you can go and see him at his home after that. He'll be fine, honestly," The Doctor added when he saw the worried faces of the other two Agents.

Mulder, who managed to look guilty even though he didn't feel it, said to Mac before he left with the Doctor, "I'll call you if anything changes, Ok?"

"Alright. Tell Vic we'll call on him tomorrow at home and see how he's doing," answered Mac glumly.

"Ok, I will. Promise." Mulder turned and walked away with the Doctor. As he was going through the doors he heard LiAnne call him an asshole under her breath.

Mulder ignored her remark and thought what a bitch.

As soon as the thick glass doors closed behind Mulder, got the instructions of how to get to Victor's room and then went there immediately. He needed to see the man who made him feel good, even when his life was falling apart all around him.

Mulder entered the plain hospital room. Glancing at the clock on the wall, Mulder was a little amazed to see that it read 10:00 PM.

Already? Where did the time go?

Dr. Anwar had warned him that Victor had been given a mild sedative, so coming into the quiet room and seeing Victor asleep did not surprise him very much.

Victor was asleep on his stomach and he looked peaceful. His face was relaxed; no lines of worry crossed the bridge of his nose or his forehead and Mulder thought that he looked beautiful, black eyes not with standing.

There was a nurse checking on his vitals when Mulder arrived. She smiled warmly at him and asked, "Mr. Mulder?" Mulder nodded in assent. "Good, Mr. Mansfield has been asking about you. He will want you to be here when he wakes up. Buzz if you need anything." The pretty nurse handed Mulder a pillow and a green cotton blanket and pointed out a padded chaise lounge chair that was in the upright position. She said Good night to him and then left.

Mulder waited until the door had and the soft footsteps faded away before pulling the chair right to the edge of the hospital bed. He did not sit down immediately. All of the events that had unfolded during day had finally caught up with him and suddenly he felt exhausted. But before getting some of his own much needed rest, Mulder bent over and kissed Victor on his cheek lightly. He let his lips linger over the soft, sweet smelling skin beneath, noting in passing that somewhere along the line someone had bathed the sleeping agent.

Finally, Mulder sank into the chair heavily, blinking back his tears. His motions were not unlike what he had done at Scully's bedside, when in sheer, overwhelming joy, he had wept over her prone form upon finding out that her cancer had disappeared.

Worn out, he placed both hands on Victor's left arm and rested his head between them. Then he silently wept, relieved that he was here at his new lover's bedside instead of at his grave side.

###

Part Eight: Nightmares and Night terrors

LiAnne jammed the key into the lock, opened up her apartment door, and then kicked it shut behind herself. She was very pissed off that she had not been allowed to stay behind with Victor. She couldn't believe that her former fiancé` would choose Mulder over her or Mac even.

That guy must have some sort of hold on Vic.

She had every intention of going to see Victor in the morning to find out just what exactly, was going on. LiAnne already made up her mind that she was going to have a talk with Victor; she wanted to see how he felt about the possibility of them getting back together.

LiAnne walked down the unlit hall to her bedroom. Once there she quickly stripped down and wrapped a towel around herself. After running a hot bath she scented the water with her favorite, sandalwood bath oil. And after a long, comforting soak in the perfumed water, LiAnne decided to turn in for the night.

Sleep did not come easily for LiAnne, and when it finally claimed her, the slumber was restless and her dreams were vivid—

###

LiAnne, dressed in a very sensible beige 3-piece suit, stopped in front of the door to her apartment. After a few seconds of hesitation, she grabbed the knob and turned it.

"Strange..." she thought to herself, "...the door's locked."

Which is unusual since her fiancé should be home by now. Being the considerate man that he is, Victor usually leaves the door open for her, knowing she'll be arriving shortly after him. Today however, LiAnne is coming home a little bit late, after a hard day at the office.

Managing to fish out her own key, LiAnne let herself in. And as she entered, the exhausted woman called out, "Honey, I'm home!" Crossing over to the kitchen counter, she deposited her briefcase on top of it and called out again, "Victor, are you here?" Only this time a little louder.

Leaving the kitchen area. LiAnne sees that Victor's leather jacket and gun holster are hanging on the brass coat rack. Thinking that he must be in the shower, LiAnne started down the thickly carpeted hall, wondering as she walked, why there is a trail of clothes leading to the bedroom. In fact, LiAnne finally notices, there are two sets of clothing leading the way: two t-shirts, two pairs of socks and so on.

Once she had reached the entrance to the master bedroom, LiAnne hesitantly pushed the partially cracked door all the way open. And what she saw in her bedroom shocked her.

There are two men in her bed and both are naked. One of the men is Fox Mulder, who is presently stretched out on top of Victor—her fiancé—and kissing him passionately. Mulder rolled off of Victor when he heard LiAnne's startled gasp and rested easily on one elbow; palm under his chin and cheek.

He smirked up at her while at the same time idly running the tips of his fingers over Victor's bare chest. Mulder was totally unconcerned about being caught in bed with Victor, and he knew full well that his presence was intentionally provoking her.

LiAnne, frozen by the scene, can do nothing but continue to stare in silent incredulity.

After a second, Mulder stopped smirking and asked her malevolently, "Something the matter, LiAnne?"

"What the hell are you doing? In my bed with my fiancée?" She finally demanded, trying not to sputter too much as she spoke. By emphasizing the possessive pronoun 'my', she is attempting to tell Mulder that he owns neither.

Back to smirking again, Mulder replied cheekily, "I think it's fairly obvious. Don't you?"

Now her anger is unleashed, and feeling nothing but contempt for the F.B.I. agent, LiAnne yelled, "Get out right now! Victor doesn't want you! He still loves me!"

"Nooo... LiAnne, that's where you're wrong, he used to love you. Now he loves... me." Mulder's pleasure in tormenting her was obvious.

"That's not true," she countered hotly, knowing that she is defeated any ways.

"Yes it is. The minute Mac came to town you tossed Victor away like yesterday's leftovers. You broke his heart, LiAnne. And I'm in the process of mending it for him." The man was gloating by throwing the ugly truth back in her beautiful face.

"But... but... Victor what about me?" LiAnne made her plea directly to Victor, who has been laying on his back with his arms folded under his head, remaining silent for the whole impassioned exchange.

She watched silent, as Victor looked to Mulder first and then smiled up at the American agent. She continues to stare as he bats his long, dark lashes up at his lover; green eyes glowing with contentment. Victor sighed, then looking back to her, he cut the smiling out and set his mouth into a hard line. His eyes remained cold and unemotional when he spoke to her.

"You blew it, LiAnne. I gave you everything I had and you threw it away. We're just friends now. Nothing more."

As if having to say all that has exhausted him, Victor rolled over, onto his stomach and closed his eyes. Promptly falling back asleep.

Mulder spoke to LiAnne, no longer hiding the hostility in his voice, "Face the facts sweetie, he doesn't want you any more. You're old news." Mulder reached over and began to stroke Victor's back; the white sheet covering him only to his waist. Gloating over his triumph, Mulder bent his head and just before he planted a kiss on Victor's shoulder blade he hissed, "Now leave us alone, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out." Not waiting for her to reply, Mulder continued on with his intended task, and kissed Victor, all over his back.

Rejected and hurt, LiAnne backed out of the bedroom, unable to take her eyes off of the two men. Because she wasn't watching where she was going, LiAnne accidentally backed into the door frame. Knocking her already aching head against it hard.

The jolt of hitting her head in the dream forced LiAnne to wale from her sleep. Rolling over, she punched her pillow into the perfect thickness. And laying back down, she angrily mumbled, "Mulder, you're such an asshole."

###

Mac stepped out of the shower and toweled dried his short spiky hair. He still couldn't believe that Victor had asked to see Mulder over LiAnne and him.

So okay, they're lovers after all, but still.

Mac was exhausted, he had been on an emotional roller coaster ever since his partner's disappearance. The huge adrenaline rush of the day's events had left him feeling as if someone picked him up and wrung him out like an old dishrag. Mac wiped the fog off of the mirror and started shaving. All the while, he could not help but feel that he had already been given his chance with Victor and blown it.

But damn it! How was he to know that Victor was into guys as well? Of course, all of the harmless flirting that they had done in the past made sense, now. But at the time, Mac felt that perhaps he was just seeing what he wanted see and hearing what he wanted to hear. And in the end, he had chalked up the several flirtatious episodes he had experienced with Victor to his own wishful thinking.

Now that Mulder was in the picture, Mac would never find out if he and Victor could have made a real go of it.

LiAnne would've really hated that anyway.

Contrary to the popular belief, Mac, in his infinite pride, did not believe in cheating with a person who was already spoken for. Therefore and unfortunately, Victor was rendered off-limits to him...for now. However, he figured that all he would have to do was just sit and wait, biding his time until another opportunity came along. And if that occasion should ever come up, Mac would not be so foolish as to let it slip by him again. He removed his robe and crawled naked into his large bed.

Mulder has to go home sometime. Was Mac's last thought before drifting off...

###

The blinds were closed in Mac's living room and the lights had been set on a very cliched low. Two large black wrought iron candelabras'' were standing nearby, each holding their capacity of 6 white pillar candles. All 12 candles were lit, throwing off flickers of light, making shadows dance on the modernly plain white walls.

Victor, who is sitting on the love seat, is curiously looking at the surroundings around him. He gazed at the candles and then to the only light that is on all the way in the room; a small pot light highlighting a modern oil painting. The music in the playing in the background is lyrical soft. Bryan Adams is singing that Everything I do, I do it for you...

Victor called out to his partner, "I thought we were just going to catch up on paperwork. How come it looks like all the trappings of a date?"

Seconds later, Mac emerged from the depths of his kitchen carrying two full wine glasses in one hand and a ridiculously expensive-looking receptacle holding the liquid in the other. Handing a glass to Victor he set the bottle on the coffee table.

Victor accepted the offered spirits and sipped from the crystal tentatively. It was obvious that he was a bit nervous and Mac standing over him watching him drink the wine isn't helping. Victor swallowed and smiling shyly, he looked up at Mac. With big green eyes accentuated by dark, dark lashes he said in a low tone. "Thanks."

Victor has no idea what effect his smile and his demure gaze has on his male partner. Mac dropped into a spot on the love seat, right next to Victor, intentionally invading his personal space. He inhaled deeply, breathing in the older man's natural essence, a scent that was uniquely Victor; citrus mixed in with his cologne.

Breathing in the heady aroma has left Mac with a feeling of aggressiveness and the desire to control. Deciding that he had done enough waiting for Victor to come around and see him for what he was; a potent lover and not simply his partner. Mac shifted himself even closer still to Victor. He reached out and plucked the wine glass from Victor hand. He set the two glasses down heavily next to the bottle and then pushed himself almost on top of a very surprised Victor. Forcing the other man to retreat backwards to avoid his blatant advances.

"What are you doing Mac?," Victor managed.

Mac has Victor trapped between his own body and the padded armrest of the small couch. Victor in an attempt to stand, pushed himself up using his elbows as leverage, but the maneuver fails to succeed as Mac grabs a handful of the green shirt that he is wearing—a personal favorite of Mac's—and pulls him back down with a hard jerk.

When Victor opened his mouth to protest, Mac covered his mouth with his own and obscenely shoved his tongue inside, kissing him roughly and bruising his lips. Victor tried moving his head from side to side to escape the brutal kisses, but Mac holds him firm. Mac used one hand to pin Victor's wrists together and with the other, he reached down with the other to reef out the tucked-in shirt from Victor's jeans.

Victor after some struggling, managed to free his wrists and tried to push Mac off of himself. But the effort, though valiant, is in vain because Mac has already succeeded in getting Victor's shirt open by ripping it viciously, scattering buttons everywhere. The shirt taken care of, Mac moved on to un-doing the belt around Victor's waist. The button fly jeans prove to be of no difficulty for Mac as he quickly undoes the buttons one-handed. He while gave up on restraining Victor's wrists and controlled him by simply wrapping his other strong hand around Victor's throat and squeezing.

Through the whole ordeal Victor kept saying things like "No" and "Mac please stop it, you're hurting me." Trying to discourage his attacker, but his cries fall on deaf ears.

Mac was not hearing the pleadings and protests coming from his partner.

In Mac's mind Victor really wanted this even though he appeared to be fighting it. Eventually, all of Victor's struggling takes a toll and wears him out. Mac, who has been biting on and sucking at Victor's neck, smiles, believing that since the handsome man below him has given up fighting, he is therefore giving his consent to the inevitable.

Mac yanked down Victor's jeans to his knees, trapping his legs further. He flipped Victor over and leaned in to bite the base of his neck hard, making the man beneath him cry out in pain and beg.

"Please, Mac, I don't want this" Tried Victor, one more time.

But Mac is engorged and ready, and he doesn't take into consideration that Victor might not be. Mac spit into his palm and rubbed himself lewdly against Victors smooth, hard ass. Then suddenly, without warning, he plunged himself into Victor's tight anus. He was forced to stop about three inches of the way in, the tight concentric muscle prevented him from entering all the way. Victor, in agony, screamed from the pain and humiliation, but Mac is oblivious to everything except the sensation of Victor's tight, tight ass.

Pushing a little harder, Mac could feel it when the small muscle spasm and then gave way, blanketing him in ecstacy. Mindless of the weak struggles and cries beneath him and to the fact that his way is now lubricated by a small amount of blood, Mac continued to push into Victor again and again. Grabbing Victor by the hair he wrenches the sweaty head to its side and hisses, "I wanted to see you in the hospital Vic. You should have let me see you." He then invaded Victor's now submissive mouth with his tongue again and orgasms with an intensity he has never felt before.

###

Mac jack knifed up into a sitting position in his bed. Flinging back the quilt and swinging his legs out of bed, he bent over and cradled his head in his hands.

Oh god, what just happened? I haven't had a wet dream in years.

Rising up, Mac flipped on the small lamp at his bedside. He was so embarrassed, but beyond that he was ashamed, ashamed of himself for dreaming about raping Victor. He couldn't believe that he had hurt his partner and best friend like that, then had an orgasm over it.

Maybe he was the one who should see a psychiatrist.

Mac walked into the ensuite, wrenched the water on, and then stepped into the cold spray of the shower.

###

Victor could not believe the humiliation of being subjected to having an extra long cotton swab shoved up his ass in search of semen, and by a Agency Doctor too!

God if he ever tells anybody...

He had told the Doctor that he hadn't been fucked. But the Doctor wouldn't listen to him; insisting that the test was for his own safety. The examination and subsequent repair of his battered body could not be over quick enough for Victor. When it was, he had been offered a sedative and he took it, not thinking that it would take effect so soon. He had wanted to see Mulder first, to talk to him about what had happened. Mulder was a psychologist after all, he would know what to do.

Victor couldn't face LiAnne and especially Mac yet. Though he knew that they would be there, waiting to hear any news of him. He would talk to them tomorrow. The Doctor promised to send Mulder in before leaving the room. But before Victor had a chance to see his lover, he had felt his eyes grow heavy and no sooner had he shut them, than he was asleep...

###

Victor ran, full throttle, through the park. He is barefoot and bare-chested and it is dark out. The air is cold enough out for Victor to see his own breath as he runs. The forest starts to move, undulate actually then it begins to grow close around him and suddenly the branches of a very old Douglas fir tree wrap around him and pull him in tight to it's trunk.

Scrambling to break free, Victor managed to crawl out from under the scratchy branches on his hands and knees. But before he can stand and start running again, he freezes as he sees a pair of feet clad in steel-toed work boots before him.

Victor looked up slowly, straight into Jack's ice blue eyes. The moon is shining behind Jack, making him appear even more ominous than the last time they had met. Jack smiled down at Victor who was still frozen in the position he is in from fear. In his right hand he is twirling a pair of metal handcuffs around and around on one finger; in the left he has such a tight grip on his leather belt that his knuckles are white.

Victor, though bodily paralyzed with fear, finally managed to shout out, "HELP!"

Jack laughed in derision. "When a man cries for help in the woods, can anyone really hear him? Give it up doll face, I've got you all over again."

Victor swallowed down his rising gorge and tried to sound unafraid as he spoke. "I k-killed you." But he is unsuccessful, he sounds frightened even to his own ears.

Jack finds this last statement of Victor's funny. "Yes, that is true Victor, but every time you open your mouth for your boyfriend, it will always, always pass through you mind first, what I made you do. I may be dead but memories of you and I will stay with you. Forever." Jack shrugged his shoulders and ceased twirling the handcuffs.

He reached down to the scruff of Victor's neck and digging his fingers into the tender skin at the nape of Victor's neck Jack pulled the agent to his knees. "Now be a good boy like you were before and open your mouth... nice and wide now..."

Unable to control his body or his mind Victor obeyed, obediently opens his mouth to receive Jack's erection...

###

Victor woke up at that point, gagging and short of breath. He was sweating but despite that, he still felt compelled to pull the thin blanket that he had kicked off up, so that it rests right under his chin. Trying to form some sort of a protective barrier.

Great. Nightmares. Just what I need.

He sat up and turned on the small flourescent light in the headboard. Victor was almost relieved to see Mulder asleep in the chair next to his bed. The older agent's head was resting on the side of the mattress and Victor somehow felt safer.

No longer sleepy, Victor sat there silently and watched him sleep. The other man's eyelids were fluttering and Victor thought that Mulder was probably having a bad dream too. It seemed to be the night for them. He propped up his pillow underneath his neck and then watched Mulder closely, fascinated by the small tremors and twitching that his body was making.

###

After Mulder had run out of tears, he clumsily reached for the small box of Kleenex that sat on the single drawer night stand near Victor's bed. He blew his nose as quietly as he could, even though he knew that Victor wouldn't be waking up anytime soon. After tossing the semi-wet tissue across the room into the garbage can, Mulder sighed. The last 24 hours had finally caught up with him, he needed to sleep for awhile. So he laid his head down on the edge of the bed and lightly held Victor's warm hand. Closing his eyes he let the his waking conscious relax and his subconscious take over-

###

Mulder is lost in a green topiary maze and can hear someone crying out to him.

"Help me!" The faint voice pleads.

Mulder is trying to follow the sound of the frightened voice, but the shrubbery makes it difficult to get an accurate reading of the direction that it's coming from.

After hearing another soulful, "Fox, help me! PLEASE!" Mulder stops to think, finally he remembers some old advice about mazes: turn to your right always and you will eventually find your way. So he does just that, but soon, Mulder thinks that the rule must be wrong because it seems like every time he turns that way, he hits a dead end. But the determined agent keeps on running, searching...seeking. Finally when he is almost too exhausted to go on, he turns a corner and finds the person that has been crying out for help.

It's Victor.

Suddenly, Mulder realizes that he is now standing in the very center of the intricate maze, gazing at his lover who is laying motionless on a table with a crisp white cotton sheet covering his whole body. Mulder slowly walks over to the chest high table and sees that Victor has a blue tinge ringing his perfect mouth. Afraid, he ripped back the sheet, revealing bruises circling his lover's neck. The deep, blue-black color stood out stark against Victor's delicate, pale flesh.

"Victor! No! I came for you! I found you." Mulder cried out, grief stricken.

Victor's lids fluttered open and green eyes looked up at Mulder. The look in them sad and distant. "But you came too late. I'm already dead." Victor said monotone. He sat up and extended his cold hand toward Mulder.

But before Mulder can grasp it, another hand intercepts and takes it instead. Mulder blinks in incomprehension, and he wonders if the strange hand belongs to an angel? But when he looks back to the table, Victor is gone already and only the sheet that covered him remains. Picking up the sheet, Mulder hugged it tightly to his chest, trying to soothe the ache in his heart. He dropped the cotton shroud to the ground and began to spin around and around, looking for, but seeing no sign of Victor.

He is really gone.

"Victor, where did you go?...VICTOR!" Mulder cries out as loud as he can, but there's still no answer...

###

Mulder snapped his head up so quickly that he startled Victor, who had been watching him the whole time. Trying to clear away the sleep from his eyes, he rubbed his eyes and gazed at Victor as if he was seeing an apparition.

"Hi." Victor grinned down at the slightly dazed man and ruffled his hair gently.

Surprised that Victor is even awake Mulder said, "Hi. Did I wake you?"

"No, I was up. I've had enough sleep. You called out my name, you know. Bad dream?" A concept that Victor could definitely understand.

"Yeah, or a bit of one. " Mulder hoped that Victor wouldn't ask him about it, because he really didn't feel like talking about it tonight. Maybe in the morning.

"Mmm. Me too. Must be a night for dreams that go 'bump'" Victor answered easily. Holding out his arms he said to his lover, "Come here. I missed you, G-man."

Mulder wrapped his arms around his lover and they embraced. Victor finally feeling truly safe for the first time since his ordeal had began.

Mulder breathed in Vic's scent deeply, secure in the knowledge that his death had all been a dream only.

###

Part Nine: The Bumpy Road of Recovery

"I'm not an invalid, you know. I am capable of opening my door." Victor complained to Mulder grumpily.

"I know, I know. Humor me and let me do it, okay?" Mulder replied blandly.

Victor reluctantly handed over the keys when Mulder put out his hand for them. But the truth was his knuckles were still bruised and sore from his fight with Jack, and his right hand was just as shaky as the left, so getting the key into the lock of his apartment was a bit more difficult task than he had anticipated. He was silently grateful that Mulder had seen his this, and had offered to take over for him.

Victor's nose wrinkled at the smell inside his apartment as soon as he entered. "Jesus Christ, what a mess. And it stinks in here too."

"It doesn't stink, Vic, it's just stale. Why don't you go lie down and I'll clean up for you," Mulder offered. Even though he was not much of a housekeeper himself, he figured that all the place needed was an open window, some air freshener and a sink of soapy water for the dirty dishes.

Mulder looked around and spotted the source of the offending odor; the empty tequila bottle. He dropped his small overnight bag by the door and started to pick up.

Vic smiled as he watched Mulder go about tidying up the living room. He knew that if it were Mulder's own apartment, the FBI agent would have simply thrown everything into the kitchen sink and hoped the cockroaches would cart it all away for him.

While smiling at his own thoughts Victor leaned over to pick up Mulder's bag and then went off down the hall to his bedroom. Once there, Victor dropped the bag on what he considered to be Mulder's side of the bed before flopping down on his own side. In the silence of the bedroom Victor could hear Mulder rattling around glasses along with opening and closing cupboards.

"Vic, where's your dish soap?" Mulder called out to Victor.

"It's under the kitchen sink, left side!" Victor yelled back. He was lying flat on his back motionlessly with his arms stretched out and legs splayed apart.

Suddenly, the dark memories of being bound in this position and all that occurred afterwards entered Victor's head, making him feel nauseous. He quickly drew his limbs in tightly to his sides as his whole body tensed with anxiety.

A split second later, Vic got up and left the comfort of his own bed for the bathroom, shutting the door behind him and locking it. Victor didn't feel so good; he actually wanted to vomit. While taking deep breaths Victor turned on the cold water and then grabbing the side of the sink, he lowered his head and took a deep drink of the cold liquid directly from the tap.

Mulder had heard the bathroom's door closing and its lock clicking into place from where he was. That's not a good sign.

He knew that Victor wasn't locking the door to keep him out, but to allow himself the sense of security and control. Not to mention the fact that he probably didn't want Mulder to see him in this vulnerable state again.

Thinking that knocking on the door to see if he was okay would probably not go over too well, Mulder decided to leave Victor alone. Victor will come out on his own when he's good and ready to.

After rinsing his face, Victor brought his eyes up to look at himself in the mirror. And what he saw sickened him: black eyes, cuts and bruises everywhere. To him, they were nothing but leftovers from an extremely painful ordeal. Reminders of how inadequate and weak he had been, unable to even look after himself.

Jack had been able to sneak up on him in the park because he wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him, as was his usual practice. Instead he had been gazing at the stars and thinking of Mulder.

And then, during his imprisonment by Jack, he had been useless in preventing himself from being tied up, tortured and abused...

Stop it, Vic! Deal with it like a man. Just forget it ever happened. Now get out there before Mulder thinks something's wrong.

Victor shook his head at his own image in the mirror. He would just force himself to forget it ever happened; that's all there was to it. Tell the shrinks what they wanted to hear. Tell everyone else what they needed to hear, and then in a few months all these feelings of helplessness and insecurity will have dissipated. If he can convince every one to get over it as he already has, then hopefully everything will be okay. All he needed was a little more time to deal with what happened, and to bury the experience as deep as it would go. Then things will be fine. They had to be.

Taking another deep breath he ran his hands over his hair and tried to rub out the dark circles under his eyes. A few minutes later he padded out of the bathroom. Looking back and forth between the bedroom and the direction of the living room. Victor didn't want to close his eyes only to see Jack again, so taking another nap was out of the question even though he was very tired. There would be time enough later to worry about how he was going to fall sleep later, right now he wanted...needed other things. Things that only Fox Mulder could provide.

Having decided, Victor switched directions and headed for the living room. He walked quietly around the corner and snuck up behind Mulder, wrapping his arms around his chest. He hugged the other man to him tightly and then brought his arms up to hook his hands over Mulder's shoulders.

He nuzzled his face into Mulder's back and whispered huskily, "God, I missed you. I'm glad you decided to stay a couple of days."

Mulder gave a lop-sided smile to the glass he was washing and replied,"I'm glad I did too." He turned around and gathered Vic up into a tight embrace, feeling the hard lump in Vic's jeans rubbing up against his own burgeoning erection. Mulder looked into the man's eyes searchingly for any signs of hesitation. When he saw none he leaned into Victor and began kissing him.

The kiss soon went from slow and easy to fast and furious, both tongues darting in and out of one an others' mouth, vying for the warm space within.

Vic broke the kiss first and grabbing Mulder's hand, led him down the hall to the bedroom. Mulder understood that there was more to the situation than even Victor himself realized. Subconsciously Victor needed this to feel in control again, in order to attempt to take back whatever it was he had lost to Jack. At the same time, another part of him also knew that Victor just needed to get laid to help him forget what had happened. Whatever the reasons were, Mulder decided he was not adverse to helping Victor out either way.

Victor twirled Mulder around so that the man was facing him, then pulled him into another deep kiss. He started undoing the button to Mulder's jeans and roughly jerked down his zipper. Victor was anxious to get his lover completely undressed. Before long, Mulder took over disrobing himself while Vic started pulling at his own clothing, flinging the garments away un-concern as to where they were landing.

As soon as Victor was fully unclothed, he dove on top of an equally disrobed Mulder and plundered the agent's mouth, running his tongue enthusiastically from Mulder's bottom lip to his earlobe, pausing in between to bite down and leave several purple marks on his neck and shoulder.

Mulder shut his eyes and delighted the sensations of Victor's ardent foreplay.

Vic positioned himself between Mulder's legs and spread them farther apart. Licking his way down to the firm flat abdomen beneath him, he pushed Mulder's thighs up and used his tongue to lubricate the way. Victor allowed small amounts of saliva to accumulate in his mouth before eagerly applying the warm moisture to the tight opening by thrusting his tongue in and out of the thrashing and moaning man.

Mulder couldn't help but growl out his pleasure over what Victor was doing to him. The incredible waves of pleasure washing over him again and again. So when Victor finally sank two fingers in him at once, he thought that he was going to cum right then and there. He watched dazedly as Victor removed his fingers from within him and carefully wiped the leaking fluid from the ends of both of their cocks to rub it up and down his own hard cock for further lubrication.

Then Victor looked Mulder straight in the eye and rasped, "Are you ready for me?"

Mulder responded immediately by nodding his head and whispering urgently, "Oh, yeah. Do me."

Needing no further encouragement, Vic grabbed Mulder's legs and pushed them back and told him to keep them there. Then holding onto himself, he began to guide his hardened organ into Mulder.

Victor eased himself in a slow but continuous motion, pushing into the writhing man under him until he had sank himself in all the way. Pausing only then to give Mulder a chance to catch his breath. When he saw that the other man's eyes were closed, Victor demanded hoarsely, "Look at me."

Complying with Vic's wishes, Mulder opened his eyes and gazed into the big green ones looming above him. He tried to block out the bruises that marred Victor's neck and face. He avoided looking at the bite marks on Victor's chest, marks that he hadn't made. Instead Mulder concentrated on staring straight into Victor's eyes as he had been asked to do. With their gazes transfixed on one another, Victor began to drive himself home, into the well stretched ass of Fox Mulder.

Though he didn't intend for it to be so rough, Victor's thrusts became more and more brutish as he neared his orgasm, but Mulder was not complaining.

When Mulder sensed that Vic's release was near; he used his own idle hand to bring himself off. His own fast pumping motion made him cum first, and when his tight hole closed down even tighter around Victor's cock, it sent the man on top of him over the edge immediately and Victor came inside of his lover.

Collapsing on top of Mulder, Victor lay where he was, letting the last vestiges of orgasmic bliss wash over him. After awhile, he reluctantly rolled off of Mulder and reached for the box of tissue, pulling a few out for Mulder and then some for himself. It was while he was wiping himself off when that the guilt finally hit him.

What a shit I am! I didn't even think about jacking him off. I just left it up to him to take care of himself. He had been so focused in on his own needs that he had forgotten that Mulder might have a few of his own.

"I'm sorry," Vic whispered sheepishly.

"Sorry for what?" Mulder asked.

"Sorry for being so selfish. I don't know what came over me. The last time we had sex I recall that I was a little more giving. More reciprocating." Victor felt ashamed of the way he had taken Mulder so roughly. Suddenly he felt like he had forced himself on Mulder or something. So convinced, was he, that he had hurt Mulder, Vic tried to get out of bed before Mulder kicked him out.

"Where exactly are you going?" Mulder demanded. He knew exactly what Vic's problem was so he pulled Vic back down to him and held on to him tight.

"I...I feel like you had no pleasure from that at all. I just thought that..." Victor began, but his voice trailed off before he could finish his sentence. He didn't really know what he wanted to say any ways.

Mulder hugged him tighter. "Well you thought wrong, I like strong sex sometimes so stop worrying about it. I am however worried about you? You know, Vic, I would never pressure you into telling me what happened when you were kidnaped, but if you want to talk or need to talk, I'm here for you. Always.î As if to convince Victor more Mulder added, ìPlus, I am psychologist, remember? Anything you say I'll keep between us. I promise." Mulder would never had told anyone what Vic said to him any ways, psychologist or not, but he thought that if he brought up the confidentiality clause it might put Victor more at ease.

Victor rolled away from Mulder and rested on his bruised back with his hands together underneath his head. He could still feel the tender bump on the back of his head. While staring at the ceiling, Victor cleared his throat and began to talk. He wasn't planning to tell his partners about the things that had happened, but if he couldn't tell his lover the truth, then who else was there? Victor knew that it would be harder to convince everyone else around him that he really was okay if he didn't at least tell one other person the truth. Victor trusted Mulder implicitly with what he was going to say. "I..." he began " ...I woke up wearing only my jeans and with my left ankle chained to a wall..."

###

Mulder didn't quite know what to say to Victor. It was one thing to imagine what had happened to Vic and another to actually know it by having the real mental imagery to go along with the narrative. His mouth was dry and for the first time in a long while Mulder was absolutely speechless. He had lain still and listened in silence as Victor told him in an emotionless voice all that had gone on between him and Jack. Mulder was glad Jack that had died, and happier still that at least Victor had gotten the satisfaction of regaining some self respect back by doing the job himself. But Mulder realized that Jack had taken a part of Victor to the grave with him; and Victor would never get that part of himself back. Ever. The psychological repercussions of what Vic had been through would scar him for the rest of his days.

No wonder the sex had seemed so rough and frenzied. It made a lot more sense to Mulder now, even though at first he thought he already understood why.

Victor's ability to maintain control over his emotions had amazed Mulder. He had poured out every sordid detail to Mulder and though his eyes remained glassy throughout, Vic never even allowed himself to shed one single tear. His voice did crack and waver when he had gotten to the part about being forced to give Jack a blowjob, but after a quick intake of breath he had been able to go on as calm and even as he was before. Vic's icy, almost indifferent attitude did not surprise Mulder, however. He recognized that this was the side of lover that was probably seen by most people; and that he was one of the few lucky enough to even see Vic's warm, funny and even romantic side. Knowing he had been allowed into the inner nucleus that was the true Victor Mansfield made Mulder feel privileged.

When Victor was finished recounting his horrible experience, Mulder reached over and pulled Victor back against him. He held on to Victor tightly and murmured into the soft brown crown of the other man's head, "I'm glad he's dead Vic and thankful that you're still alive. I know you'll never truly forget what happened, but someday I promise, you will get over it. It might take awhile, but you will get over it."

Vic nodded his head but made no reply. Relieved that telling Mulder everything had been the right thing to do. But if Mulder thought that he was ever going to tell another living soul what really happened, then he was sorely mistaken. Victor realized that Mulder would never betray his trust by telling others what he told him tonight. He was confident that even if his partners demanded the truth from Mulder, without Vic's permission, he still would not tell. Victor felt no compulsion to let his partners know all the gory details; in fact, he believed that the less they knew about the whole ordeal, the better. The only thing that mattered was that Mulder knew and understood him.

Vic threw his arm over Mulder's chest and closed his eyes. He didn't want to talk about it anymore, he only wanted to rest. His back was aching and so was his head for that matter.

"Mmm, you mind if I fall asleep like this?" mumbled Vic, already half way there."

Mulder rubbed the outer rim of Victor's ear gently; it was really the only piece of skin available on Vic's body that did not have a bruise, bite mark or welt. "No, you mind if I fall asleep with you?" he asked in an equally drowsy voice.

Victor planted a kiss in the hollow of Mulder's chest. "No. This feels good. Stay." Victor was immediately sound asleep after he said that.

Closing his eyes, Mulder followed suit. His last thoughts before he drifted off to sleep were about how he wished he could make Victor's inner turmoil go away, but knowing, with great regret, that ultimately only Victor could heal himself.

###

Part Ten: Honesty is not always the best policy

As the late afternoon sun went down, its warm rays spilled through the open windows and delicately kissed the bare skin of the two men who were intertwined around each other. They were sleeping peacefully in the big bed that dominated the small roomóboth men were worn out, though each for different reasons.

Normally, Victor was a very light sleeper. It was especially important to be one in his line of business one; could never be too sure who was going to come through the door unannounced. But the aftermath of the last few days and nights, combined with the effects of a sedative he had taken the night before worked against him. His senses were dulled and he was pulled into a much needed deep slumber.

Beside him, Mulder slept deeply as well, which was his usual practice anyway.

###

LiAnne had been knocking on the front door to Vic's apartment for several minutes already. When she received no answer after knocking several more times, she became quite worried for her former lover's condition. She pulled out her own personal key to Vic's apartment and unlocked the door quietly, taking care to shut it as gently as she could behind her. LiAnne thought the apartment had a eerie stillness about it; the heavy silence gave her the creeps. She knew Victor should have been home. Normally, she would have seen Victor just flaked out on the couch, resting while watching a hockey game. But unfortunately, since nothing that had happened to Victor in the last 72 hours had been normal, she wasn't completely surprised when she didn't find him on the couch.

LiAnne couldn't stop herself from looking around for traces of Mulder; but when she didn't find anything that might have belonged to him, she just assumed that he must have gone home already. It was then that LiAnne noticed Vic's bedroom door was closed and guessed that he might still be sleeping. She didn't want to disturb Victor, but she did want to see him so LiAnne thought she'd just sneak a peek in on him to make sure he was okay. Figuring that she could talk to him about her feelings for him and his feelings for her later when he was up and about.

LiAnne was earnest about the way she felt about Victor, and she desperately wanted him to take her proposal of their getting back together seriously. At the same time, she was willing to hold things off for a little while more, or at least until he was fully awake and alert.

LiAnne padded down the hall quietly as only a true thief could. Grasping the bedroom's doorknob, she pushed the door open and then gasped loudly, shocked by what she saw on the other side of the door. She released the doorknob unconsciously and let the door swing all the way open. The sound of her loud gasp and the door hitting the wall succeeded in forcing Victor out of his deep sleep. He was up and out of bed so quickly that she didn't even see him grab his gun. Before she knew it, he had somersaulted out of bed and landed on his knees on the floor directly in front of her with his automatic aimed dead on for her heart.

###

It took a couple of seconds for Victor to blink away the sleep that blurred his vision and focus in on the trespasser. Comprehension of who the intruder was finally registered on the armed man. "LiAnne? What the hell are you doing here?!" Victor blurted out. Just as soon as those words were out of his mouth, another thought hit him. Oh shit I'm naked!

Before he could ask LiAnne to leave the bedroom, she covered her mouth with one hand and stammered, "Oh my god! Vic I'm sorry...I ...just..." Unable to finish, she simply whirled around and ran back down the hall the way she had come. Sighing heavily, Victor stood up and put his gun away. He didn't hear sound of the front door slamming shut so he guessed that LiAnne was probably waiting for him to come out and explain things to her.

He ran his hands through his hair, sighed and began hunting for his underwear and the rest of his clothing. Why is she here in the first place? How did she get in? Boy, does she ever have a lot of explaining to do to!

As Victor tugged on his jeans he looked over at Mulder, whom he thought was still asleep, and discovered that man was in fact awake and lying on his side with one hand propped up under his head, brown hair sticking out in every direction while grinning up at Victor like the Cheshire cat.

Mulder had woken up the second Vic threw back the covers and popped out of bed but he had decided to play it safe and pretend to be asleep until LiAnne was out of the room. Whispering softly he asked Vic, "What's she doing here? Should I leave?"

"No, you stay. I don't know what she's doing here but I plan to find out. I'll be back after I talk to her. I think I'll take her to the coffee shop. Want me to bring back anything while I'm out?" Vic whispered back. He had finished dressing and was now running a comb through his short hair.

Mulder shook his head no while mumbling sleepily, "Mmm no thanks." He then beckoned to Vic, enticing him back over to the bed. Mulder wrapped his arms around Victor, who was leaning over him, and kissed the man deeply before rolling over and mumbling, "See ya."

Victor slapped Mulder's perfectly rounded left butt cheek. It was a playful gesture but the slap was still hard enough to leave a handprint. Vic pulled the quilt up to Mulder's chin and tucked it underneath, saying a quiet "Goodbye" before leaving the room and closing the door behind himself.

###

LiAnne was standing outside on Victor's veranda, face to the sun, trying to figure out how she was going to say to Victor, what she had been wanting to say to him for a few days now. Seeing him in bed naked and wrapped around Mulder upset her more than she had thought it would. Vic had looked so peaceful in the few seconds before he had woken up startled and wide-eyed with momentary confusion. Mac had already voiced his suspicions to her as to what Vic and Mulder had been up to while the two of them had been stuck working in Greenland; but she hadn't really, truly believed it until now.

Now what do I do?

She heard footsteps approaching from behind and turned around to gaze at Victor. More determined than ever to get him away from the unnatural hold that she believed Mulder had over him. But by the look on his face, she had a strong feeling that she had her work cut out for her.

"Come on, let's go to Starbucks," Vic suggested in a voice that sounded a lot calmer than he felt. LiAnne agreed and walked out of her former fiancée's apartment towards the elevator.

###

Mulder had no sooner began to drift off to sleep again than the sound of someone knocking at the front door had woken him up. He was tempted to just ignore the annoying disturbance but then decided that too much sleep would only work to keep him up all night, so he got up and threw on his jeans, not even bothering to do up the buttons.

Answering the front door barefoot and shirtless, he was surprised to find Mac standing on the other side holding a tray of coffee from, ironically enough, Starbuck's. Mulder pulled the door open all the way and swung his arm towards the living room, inviting Mac in without uttering a word. Mac complied darting his eyes around and searching for Victor as soon as he was across the threshold.

Mac was a bit thrown off at the sight of Mulder opening the door for him, especially since he had been told by the Director that Mulder's flight home was early this morning. He had wanted to see Vic alone so that they could talk; waiting intentionally until close to dinner time to come over and visit just in case Mulder decided to take later flight out. Seeing as the man was still here, all that planning had been pointless now.

"Mulder, where's Vic?" Mac asked the heavily-lidded man before him. "You look like you just woke up or something."

Mulder resisted the urge to answer "or something" and settled for instead, "Vic's gone to the coffee shop with LiAnne. They needed to discuss uh...some stuff." Mulder hedged.

Shrugging his shoulders, Mac handed Mulder one of the mocha's and then took the other for himself. He sat down on the love seat with apparently no intentions of leaving just yet.

I guess he's going to wait for Vic to come back Mulder assumed.

Actually, Mac had decided, on the spur of the moment, that perhaps he should take the opportunity since they were alone to talk to Mulder, and find out just exactly what his intentions towards Victor were.

Mulder dragged a kitchen chair across the rug and settled himself on it so that the back of the chair was in front of him. He peeled the seal off of the cup and took a sip. Smiling at Mac, he said pleasantly, "Mmm, that's good."

He waited a second before asking Mac, "Okay, so what's on your mind?"

He's straightforward; just like Vic "Well...I think it's my duty as Vic's best friend, not to mention his partner, to ask you just what your intentions are in regards to him." As soon as the words were out, Mac wished that he could take them back; they did not come out right at all. 'What your intentions are'...how lame is that?! I sound like a jealous lover! Shit. Mac shook his head in order to clear it, hoping that would help him think better so he could say what he really meant.

Mulder snorted and then replied with a bit of sarcasm, "What do you mean? Like when are we getting married? Or if I get him pregnant will I support the baby?" He laughed at the absurdity of Mac's question and his answers. Mulder felt like a high school boy being quizzed by an over anxious father before taking out his virgin daughter. Mulder realized that Mac was concerned for his partner and no doubt Mac had a clue as to what was going on between them, but he couldn't help but feel a little insulted at Mac's opening question.

Mac tried breaking the ice again by smiling a small lopsided grin at the man across from him. He made another try, "Okay, that didn't quite come out right. It's not what I really meant, but..." he hesitated, finding it hard to verbalize what he was thinking, "...what I mean is, what happens to Vic when you go home? Are you a 'couple' or what? I would hate to see him get hurt by having a long-distance relationship that didn't work out. He's been through a lot lately and it's not just with this whole Jack thing either. There's other stuff which you have no idea about. Bad stuff dealing with the time when he used to be a cop. That and family problems."

Mac paused and took a sip from his cup, wrinkling his nose slightly at discovering that his mocha had turned from piping hot to lukewarm in a matter of minutes. He put the cup on the table and looked Mulder in the eyes. "Look, I have a rough idea of what's been going on between the two of you, but I don't know just how serious things are. I do think though, that if you really cared about Victor, you would do the right thing and let him go now, before he gets too attached to you. I don't think he could take another personal crisis." Mac was playing the old If you love something set it free angle and judging by the grim look on Mulder's face, he figured it was working.

Mac stood up, leaving his Styrofoam cup behind on the table. "Listen, I can't tell youó-or Victor for that matterówhat to do. But what I'm concerned about is what if, say, you continue seeing Vic for now and then later on, you end up meeting someone else in D.C. Some one who is a whole lot closer. So then you decide to break it off with Vic. Don't you think that will hurt him more in the long run, than if you were to call it quits now?"

Mac fell silent, letting the question remain unanswered. After a beat he continued, "And Agent Mulder, trust me when I tell you that if you end up hurting him more than you had to in the first place, you'll have me to deal with."

Without waiting for Mulder to answer him, Mac walked to the front door. But before leaving, he turned and called out pleasantly to the other man, "Have a good flight home." He closed the door behind himself and stood in the hallway for a moment. Mac was not proud of himself for planting the first seeds of doubt into Mulder's mind, but he was sure that in the end, Victor would be better off. He knew better than anybody about the difficulties of long distance relationships; they never lasted. Not to mention the fact that Mac felt Mulder was really only a temporary fling to Victor. He was certain that eventually the distance alone between Vic and Mulder would be just too much for them to overcome. And when Victor was ready; Mac was prepared to be there to help him get over everything that had happened to him, including Fox Mulder and their ill-fated, short lived romp in the sheets. Either way, Mac would be there when Victor needed him, just like he had been there for him when LiAnne had dumped him.

###

"You want to what?!" Victor, almost choked on his coffee at LiAnne's announcement, he was stupefied. He couldn't believe that he had actually heard her correctly.

LiAnne sighed heavily and repeated, "I think we should try to work stuff out and get back together." Seeing the strange look on Vic's face, LiAnne questioned in a frustrated tone, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Victor, who had been grimacing slightly at LiAnne, answered bluntly, "Because, I don't believe you really want me back. I know you, LiAnne. You're jealous, that's all."

LiAnne shook her head but before she could say anything else in her own defense, Vic continued on in a harsher tone of voice than he had intended to, "You broke up with me, remember? You were the one who said you weren't ready for a full-time commitment. That maybe marriage isn't for me, I believe were your exact words. You broke off our engagement just because of some bad experience you had working with Mac on a case where you guys had to pretend to be married. Do you wanna know how that made me feel? I'll tell you howó-I was crushed and I felt rejected, that's how I felt."

Victor was more than a little surprised to find out how bitter he still was over the whole experience even though a good amount of time had already passed. "It took me a long time to get over it and an even longer time to figure out just who I really was and what I wanted."

Victor took a sip of his mocha in an effort to calm himself before meeting LiAnne's deep brown eyes. He continued on in a softer, more patient tone, "But I finally did get over it and I finally got over you, LiAnne." He shook his head sadly. "I know you well enough to see that the only reason you only want me back is because you can't deal with the fact that I might be falling for someone else. You did the same thing when you thought Ivy and I were getting back together again. And then when Mac was going to get married to that arms dealer..."

Victor ran the tip of his finger around the rim of his coffee mug. He tilted his head sideways and shook it gently while smiling ruefully at his former lover. "...you tried the same thing with him. But when it looked like he might go back to you afterwards, you pulled away and came up with the same excuses of why it wouldn't work between you two. I know that if we got back together again you would only find a way to call it off when it came time to talk marriage."

Victor looked into LiAnne's blank face then and realized that she didn't know that he and Mac confided in each other on such issues frequently.

She was in fact quite surprised that Mac had told Vic so much.

"Mac and I talk LiAnne, we always have even when we weren't the best of friends." Vic stopped there and swallowed up the last of the contents in his coffee cup. His pause in speech gave LiAnne the entrance she was looking for.

She shook her head vehemently and denied the truth of his words. "No! That's not true, Vic, it's not the same anymore. I really want us to get back together because I do care about you. You have to believe that!"

"Oh, I know you believe that, but truthfully? I don't think you really want either one of us, LiAnne. You don't want us but at the same time you don't want anyone else to have us either. Let's face it, you liked it when Mac and I fought over you. It was a great boost to your ego. I could tell that you were never really thrilled about our becoming friends, especially since we stopped bickering over you and started doing stuff without you. I know you hated it." Vic knew he was hurting LiAnne by saying all these things to her, but he felt that it was time for him to get everything out in the open. Or almost everything. He was hopeful that once they had dealt with this issue and made sure it was closed, that then they would be able to put this conversation and everything else from the past behind them and move on.

"LiAnne," Victor held her small hand between his two large ones, "...there are things about myself that I am just discovering. Things that I want to do and need to try. And none of these things involve you. They can't involve you anymore.

"I'm sorry. You're my partner and a good friend and I will always care about you and love you..." LiAnne's eyes had become glassy, and Vic's heart ached a little as he watched a large tear spill out over the rim and slide down her cheek, "...but I just don't love you in that way anymore."

Victor patted her hand gently and then got up and leaned over to press a lingering kiss on her forehead. He whispered, "I'm sorry", before turning around and leaving the coffee shop. He felt like the biggest jerk in the world and was regretful all the way home. Victor wished it could have been different for LiAnne's sake. That he could have said yes to her, and then pick up where they had left off. But he couldn't lie to himself any longer. He also truly believed that if he and LiAnne did get back together that it would hurt Mac even more and that was something Victor didn't want to do. He knew that Mac still had feelings for LiAnne even though she had trashed him as well. Victor's rivalry with Mac had been exchanged for camaraderie. He felt good about where he and Mac were at in their relationship. In Mac, he had found the best friend that he never had beforeó-a friend to whom he could complain to or just sit around with in a companionable silence.

It had taken a long time for him and Mac to click, but once their friendship became based on other factors besides a former fiancée, it took off. Victor didn't have a lot of friends. He intended on keeping the one he did have.

###

Victor unlocked the door to his apartment and walked inside, shutting and locking it behind himself. He turned around and saw Mulder sitting on the love seat with a beer in his hand. The look on Mulder's face warned Victor that something was up. Something that wasn't good. Mulder raised his eyes and said unsmiling and in an unemotional voice, "Vic, we need to talk."

###

Once a Thief Net Serial Parts Eleven – Fourteen

pansy64@hotmail.com

This series is the second half to the Monday Morning Mansfield serial. A little better written than the first, or at least I hope so. It would be a very good idea to have read the MMM's first before starting on this one.
WARNING: the following body of work is very dark, with disturbing content throughout the chapters. It may not be for every one.
Also when reading this, it would help for you to know that I wrote my villain "Jack" with Richard Burgi -UPN's The Sentinal- in mind. That's who my bad guy looks like, pretty good looking bad guy eh!
In order not to clog up the actual story pages I will print all disclaimers right here. Having said that please be aware that italics indicate internal thoughts of character and to my knowledge there is no Ballard park in the city of Toronto. Having never been there, and being a Westcoaster my entire life, I had to make up some of the details.
Thanks to Sickleweed for beta reading the origional O.A.T-The net serial stories. I re-wrote, re-vamped the series totally on my own. It was just something I wanted to do. Therefore any and all mistakes relating to grammar/continutiy are purely my own. I do not own any characters mentioned with the exception of Jack, Dr. Anwar and Darla, the receptionist.
No infringements on copyrights held is intended.
Demi-X.

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]