Go to notes and disclaimers


Hard Time
by Demi-X


Part Sixteen


G ant walked away from the agents and stepped into a dark corner of the room, secreting himself in the shadows. He watched- his attention focus solely on Victor- as Marc, the musketeer, grabbed the shirt of the green-eyed man and hauled him roughly to his feet. Victor's eyes fluttered open at the harsh treatment, and he 'came to' from being temporarily knocked out.

Marc dragged him by his arm to the van, where the transport men were already sitting in the front, impatient to leave.

Victor stumbled along behind Marc, his eyes wide and uncomprehending. His head ached something fierce, and his body had felt like he had been hung in a gym and used as a heavy punching bag for some large boxer. In away it had been. He looked back at Mac once, but then he was forced to turn around as Marc switched his grip, so that he was now being held by the back of his neck. Instead of the inmate leading him, he was now being guided from behind.

Victor balked when it came time to get into the van, but Marc pushed him roughly from behind, and the agent's body disappeared into the dark depths of the back of the windowless cube van, and out of Gant's sight, presumable forever, he thought.

Initially, Mac had pushed Marc's invading hands away from his unconscious partner. But the inmate paid no attention to him other than to give the agent a hard shove away, sending the kneeling Mac back a couple of feet and landing flat on his ass. Marc flipped Victor around, undid the tether behind the agent and pulled the now some what cognizant agent to his feet, and began to take him away.

Mac watched silently, ignoring Bobby, the other musketeer, as he held onto Mac's tether and undid him too. Bobby wrapped his fists amongst Mac's shirt collar and hauled the agent up to his feet. Victor was pushed inside the van, and he disappeared from Mac's sight. Only when he could no longer see Victor, did Mac turn his attention to what the inmate was doing to him.

Bobby slammed Mac into the wall behind them and, getting right into the agent's face he said coldly, "Gant's going to miss your friend. I think Marc will too. He's in there right now saying good bye to lover boy in his own 'special' way." Bobby stepped back a pace so that he was no longer chest to chest with the agent. "But me? I say good riddance to you both. If the 'main man' didn't want you in mint condition, I'd take a few minutes to say goodby to you in my own way." As Bobby spoke, a fine spray of spittle hit Mac in the face. He shook the agent a few times to emphasize his point. Which Mac took to mean that the inmate was not talking about anything sexual.

Mac leaned his head to the side and wiped away the moisture as best as he could by running his cheek over his shoulder "Say it don't' spray it!" he complained to the inmate. Then warned, "I'll be back and I won't be wearing chains, then we'll see how tough you are in a fair fight." Mac spit at the inmates feet, his aim was true and the gob landed right between Bobby's runners.

Bobby looked down and scowled at the shiny wet patch, he gave the agent an evil smile before jabbing his finger into Mac's chest and saying, "Next time it is, then. If you live." He laughed for a second then he released his hold all together and wound his fist around Mac's waist chain. "Come on pretty boy," he said evenly, "Destiny has a date with death." He pulled Mac along toward the waiting vehicle.

Bobby stepped into the darkness after he had pushed Mac in before himself. Just as the men entered the back of the van, Marc stood up and backed away from Victor, who was sitting on the floor, cross legged and propped up in the corner near the front. He turned around and smiling he wiped at his mouth with the back of his hand. Marc smirked directly at Mac and said to him sarcastically as he was leaving, "See ya—Wouldn't want to be ya!" Both inmates laughed out loud, like it was the funniest one-liner they had ever heard. Marc walked out and left Bobby to settle Mac in. Which he did by removing the waist chains and cuffing the agent in the front of himself with normal hand cuffs that had about 4 inches of chain in-between the metal bracelets. Bobby pushed Mac down roughly and glanced down at Victor. Then he turned back to Mac and said, "Terrence will give you a couple of pee breaks on the way up. Good luck, hope you're a fast runner."

Mac, uncharacteristically, said nothing settling instead for giving the inmate the best fuck you look that he could. Bobby left the van and slammed the doors shut behind himself. Banging on them with his fist to let the Terrence, the transport driver, know that the cargo was safely tucked away and ready to go.

As the vehicle pulled out, Mac who was sitting on the floor across from Victor, studied his partner. Victor was staring contemplatively at him, wide eyed and unblinking. But Mac could tell that Victor was not really seeing him. "Victor," he said gently. When that elicited no response Mac straightened out his leg and used his foot to shake the other agents leg. "Victor." He said with more conviction.

Victor blinked his vision clear, and he finally 'saw' Mac. The van was still passing through the prison grounds and the lighting, was quite bright for 2:00 in the morning. Mac could see clearly on his partners face, a fresh bite mark surrounded by a purple/red bruise at the right corner of his mouth.

Obviously a going away present from Marc. THAT BASTARD! No wonder he was in the van with Vic so long! He'll pay too when we get out of this!

The vehicle lurched to a sudden stop and Mac guessed that they probably about to pass through the main gates out of Kensington. From the walls of confinement and possible death, to a wide-open forest and a certain death, all within the span of 24 hours.

Victor himself, took no notice of where he was, or what was going on. He just sat there, chewing on his lower lip contemplatively. Making Mac wonder what was taking Victor so long in answering his simple question. Mac started wonder whether or not Victor had even heard him. He thought that he had. Mac tried one more time, "Victor. Did you hear me? I asked if your all right."

The van started to slowly move again.

Victor released his bottom lip and said finally, "I'm okay."

Mac opened his mouth to say something but shut it again when Victor abruptly turned his head to the side, away from Mac and rested it against the side of the van.

Victor shut his partner out with one simple, silent gesture. He closed his eyes, and listened to the voices in his head tell him everything he didn't want to hear about himself. Then the van turned a sharp corner and the agents were blanketed with darkness. Saving Victor from having to sit there and endure the silent looks of pity his best friend and lover was giving him.

In the seconds before Victor turned away, and they were immersed into the night, Mac's focus had gone from the bite mark, to Victor, whose face was masked with misery, silently telling a tale that spoke of despondency and woe. He looked so lost to Mac, and even though they were not 3 feet apart; Victor was a million miles away from him. The remoteness in Victor's eyes broke Mac's heart and he longed to make his partner feel better, but he knew that right now, he could do nothing.

Victor's terse reply of 'I'm okay' said it all—yet said nothing. He was reverting back to the only way he knew how to cope with extremely stressfully situations; by withdrawing from those around him. Mac knew that Victor would hold everything that had happened inside of himself, yet still tell his partner, with a false smile that everything was okay with him. Which was too bad, considering all the progress that he had made inside Kensington; telling Mac at all about Gant and Walker in the first place had been a major break through for him. Their relationship, as far as Mac was concerned, would only get better with open, honesty between them. It was major deal for Victor to have to go through the assault alone, Mac felt privileged that Victor had let him, too bad it was for such a short

The events of the last hour, the verbal assault by Gant, and some sort of yet another physical attack by the musketeer Marc, had proven just too much for Victor to take. Mac assumed that Victor was simply protecting himself the best way that he could, by insulating himself in a hard-shell that would be almost impossible for anyone, including Mac himself to penetrate.

And Mac was helpless to stop Victor's defense mechanisms from kicking in, he could only sit by and watch helplessly as his partner, his lover, tried to hold himself together.

Mac's eyes slowly adjusted, and he stared at the shadow that was Victor. After about twenty minutes, he heard deep, even breathing followed by a soft snore. Mac smiled to himself. He was glad that Victor had managed to fall asleep. At least he could escape the reality of their situation for a few hours. It would be good for him to get some rest.

Reaching out with manacled hands, Mac grabbed an old blanket that he had seen when he first entered the vehicle, and balled it up into a makeshift pillow. He rested his head to the side and shut his eyes. Much to his surprise, Mac felt himself immediately drawn into slumber, and within a few seconds, he was asleep too.

###

"Noooo..." Victor mewled out for the third time. His head twisted from side to side, and the handcuffs he wore rattled eerily through the darkness, like he was trying to pull the restraints off in his sleep.

Mac sighed heavily at his partners restlessness. His mumbling and writhing around had woken him up from his own sleep ten minutes earlier. Mac wondered if maybe it might not be more merciful to just wake Victor up and spare him from his nightmares, rather then let him go suffering whatever it was that had him so terrorized in the dream world.

"Wait stop!" Victor said clearly, cutting through the dimness.

Unable to stand it anymore, Mac crawled over to Victor and rubbed his partners shoulder gently with one cuffed hand.

Victor, jerked awake in instantly. Startled, it took him a second to realize where he was and where he was not. "Oh shit." He said listlessly.

"Are you okay?" You've been talking and thrashing around in your sleep for the last ten minutes or so." Mac could just make out Victor in the dark, and could see that his partner was sweating despite the coldness in the back of the van. "Victor, talk to me... whatever it is that your feeling or thinking.. You can tell me. I'll just listen." Then he added softly, "I promise."

Victor hung his head and rubbed the back of his neck. He brought it back up and looked at Mac.

Even it the dim light of the van, Mac could see that Victor's eyes were glassy with unshed tears.

"FUCK!" Victor roared in frustration, shaking chain of the handcuffs. "Even in this shitty lighting I can see how your looking at me Mac. I want you to stop it!"

Mac turned his head away and studied the doors of the van. "In what way," he asked, "do you think I'm looking at you?"

Victor turned his own face away, "Like I'm wounded. That somehow I'm damaged..."

Mac interrupted, "Vic, no... that's not true."

"Yes it is." Victor said dully. "It's like." He hesitated trying to find the words to express himself with, "like your not looking at me like I'm your equal anymore. Or your partner even." Victor said firmly. "You see me as a victim. Someone who needs to be taken care of; looked after... Shit!" The threatening tears had finally spilled over. "Fuck it. I hate this shit. I hate feeling this way..." Unable to convey what he was feeling, Victor stopped talking all together and wiped at his running nose with the sleeve of his coat. He kept his head turned away, refusing to meet his partners gaze. Mac could deny things all he wanted to Victor. But he knew what he had seen, even if it just was for a split second, in Mac's large, expressive eyes.

"Victor. If you won't let me see you, then can I at least hold you?" Asked Mac softly.

Victor wiped furiously beneath his eyes; as if getting rid of the tears would wipe away the pain of simply being him. "Yes" he whispered finally.

Mac maneuvered himself so that his arms slipped over Victor, and he was sitting behind the agent. He pulled him back so that Victor was sitting between his bent knees, and Victor's head rested on Mac's left shoulder. "Tell me what it is Vic."

Still unable to synchronize his feelings with his thoughts Victor just started talking. "It's just that I'm in a place I've never been before. And I hate it. My whole life, I've always been the one to come to someone else's rescue. I was the perfect son, the best big brother, honor roll student and stellar rookie cop. I've never felt this shitty about myself, even when I was set up by my partners in the 'narc' department and sent to jail. I knew that I was innocent of the charges, and I clung to that knowing someday that would be proven right. Then the Director came along, offered me a job at the agency, and I was finally vindicated."

Victor sniffed, and then wiped at his nose again using his sleeve as a Kleenex, "I've never been a victim before Mac." Victor spat the word victim out like it was an obscenity. "Never. Not even when I was locked up the first time. During that stretch in prison, I had, at least, my dignity. Now I don't even have that any more." He licked his lips and brought his own cuffed hands up and covered Mac's hands with his own. He concentrated for a few seconds and then smiled into the darkness, when he felt the comforting thrum of Mac's steadily beating heart against his back. Reassured, Victor spoke again. "Everything was going along just fine after the Director hired me. I mean that. Even when LiAnne broke up with me, I knew things would be okay, that I would be all right. But then we got this assignment and..."

Victor took a deep breath, "I'm 35 years old for Christ sakes' Mac. Thirty-five! I'm a fully grown man. The bull shit I've gone through the last couple of weeks is not supposed to happen to someone my age! A young guy sure... but me? Fuck!" Victor swore again, irritated. The rights words seemed to stick to the roof of his mouth like peanut butter. "Christ Mac. Just listen to me. I'm so closed up that I don't even know how to tell you what I'm feeling. Except that I feel like all my emotions are wound up into a tangled string, and I can't figure out how to undo the knots." Victor let go and knuckled away the tears that he was silently shedding.

"I know how you feel Victor. After were done with this mission, go and see someone, the right person will help you deal with things..." Mac squeezed his partner tighter to his chest. He spoke softly again, "A long time ago, when I was a kid back in Hong Kong, I had a lot of bad stuff happen to me too. Not quite the same as what happened to you, but similar crap." He kissed the top of Victor's head. "I don't have all of the answers, but I can tell you this... Over time the memories fade and the nightmares ease. Then one day you'll wake up and look in the mirror and you'll realize that what happened to you in Kensington isn't the first thing on your mind that morning. And from there everything gets better. The bad memories are eventually replaced by other, hopefully better ones."

Victor, wrapped up tightly in Mac's embrace, thought about the sage advice given to him by his partner. And he knew that Mac was right. All he had to do was get out of this latest predicament to let the healing process begin. Victor laced his fingers through Mac's. "You're all I need to get better." His comment was answered with another kiss to the top of his head. "You've never said anything about Hong Kong to me before. I'm sorry for anything that happened to you."

"Well it was a long time ago." Mac said evenly. He didn't care to drudge up dead memories of the streets Hong Kong.

"Want to know what I was dreamng about?" Victor asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, tell me. It might help to talk about it." Replied Mac.

"Okay." Victor agreed. "I dreamt that I was in a room that had hundreds of doors in it. Walker was chasing me and swinging his night stick at me. I was running away from him, going from door to door looking for a way out of that room and away from him. But every time I opened a door, there was Gant, standing there, grinning and licking his lips, waiting for me. I'd slam the door and then go to the next. But Gant would be behind the next door too. I couldn't escape. There was no getting out of that room or away from either one of them." Victor sniffed, though this time his runny nose was due to the cold temperature of the back of the van. "You woke me up just when Gant stepped out of the door way and into the room with me and Walker."

"Ugly stuff." Mac said softly.

"It was. And now I can't get my mind off of Matt." Victor said.

"Matt?" Said Mac, thinking that the mention of Matt had come from left field.

"Yeah, Matt. I can't help but think about how alone he must have felt all those years ago when he was standing on the street corner just trying to get by. And now, he's all alone again. Beat up and at the mercy of every twisted predator in that place. He's done enough time." Victor twisted his head so that he was looking directly up at Mac, his breath warm on Mac's face as he petition, "If I don't make it out of this mess alive, will you make sure he gets out of jail. Make the Director free him. She can do it, her tentacles reach far enough into the government."

Horrified at the thought of Victor not living through the ordeal they were about to face, Mac protested to his partner firmly, "Well, your going to make it through this. So you can quit thinking otherwise. We'll go to the Director together."

Admiring Mac's optimistic attitude, Victor agreed, "Okay. We'll do it together."

Mac studied Victor's face for a minute, then leaned in and still cradling the man, kissed him deeply, gently working the tip of his tongue into Victor's mouth. They continued kissing for a while, then pulled apart mutually.

Mac said to Victor practically, "We should get some sleep. We're going to need our strength come morning."

"You're right." Acknowledged Victor.

Both men settled themselves into a comfortable position. Mac resting his cheek on the top of Victor's head, closed his eyes and immediately drifted off to sleep. Victor however, did not even bother with closing his eyes. To shut them meant falling asleep, sleeping meant dreaming and to dream meant to relive his experiences at Kensington. Something he did not want to do. Victor stared, wide-eyed into the unlit recesses of the van. Comforted by the even breathing and the steady heartbeat of his partner.

###

The van slowed and then came to a complete stop. Both men woke instantly. Victor could not remember dozing off, but obviously he must have. Mac kissed Victor's cheek then pulled his arms up and over the man. Victor crossed over to the other side of the van so that he was sitting opposite of Mac, both men chilling quickly now that their body heat was no longer combined.

Mac extended his long legs and reached up into the air with his arms and Victor mirrored his partners' movements. Each agent stretching, as best as they could manage with handcuffs on.

"I guess were here." Commented a sleep weary Mac.

"Wherever that is." Mumbled Victor back. A door slammed up front and both men snapped their heads toward the direction of where the sound had come from. They listened to gravel crunch underfoot, then the sound stopped. Suddenly the doors to the back of the van swung open, and the agents were flooded with bright, early morning sunlight. They each shaded the glare of the warm sun by putting their hands to their brows.

Terrence, the driver looked at both men then said monotone, "Were here."

Mac looked at Victor and shrugging his shoulders, quipped, "See I told you."

###

Part Seventeen

The agents, both tired and hungry, crawled out of the back of the van and stood up on achy legs. They were standing shoulder to shoulder, in a broad strip of bright, early morning sunlight that shone calmly between two very regal, overgrown douglas fir trees. Mac looked around and saw that they were totally surrounded by forest. Cedars, birch and more fir trees made up their prison walls instead of bullet proof glass and cement.

Victor heard the sound of trickling water. He turned his head in the direction of the sound and noted that the source of the pleasant gurgling was a small creek, about three feet deep and perhaps six feet wide; that ran along the left side of the lodge. It flowed, Victor noted mentally, upstream. He elbowed Mac and whispered out of the side of his mouth his observations.

Mac nodded in acknowledgment, his eyes focused on the four, fifty something men who were now standing at the entrance to the lodge, waiting for their arrival.

Victor took one final look around, saw the direction in which they had come, and then quickly compared it to the sun and the lodge, before he was roughly shoved in the direction of the Mac, who was now walking toward the older men.

The two transport guys, as Victor had come to think of them, did not enter the lodge, but waited at the entrance. A man who appeared to be in charge handed the two men who had driven the van an envelope. Inside was their payment for doing the driving. Once the envelope was in their hands, the men turned around and left, without thanking the man who had paid them.

The agents were unchained and each was given a bathroom break, then a hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast. Though no longer confined by the handcuffs, Mac and Victor were not left unguarded. Two of the four men sat at either door—there appeared to be only two- and kept their guns and eyes trained on the two as they ate.

Both Victor and Mac ate in silence, with the exception of the rude, loud smacking noises Mac was deliberately making. Victor suspected he was intentionally trying to irritate the four 'gents', as per his usual behavior.

Once done with eating, the agents were led to a living room and ordered to sit on a pair of plain wooden stools. They plopped down in them and immediately the 'leader' began to speak.

"Mac. Victor." The man looked at each agent as he said their name. "My name is Sal Martin. That man there,î He pointed to another man, who was also greying at the temples, ìIs William Lawson.î Then he pointed to the judge who was guarding the main entrance to the lodge, ìHe's Austin Mayne and the other gentleman at the kitchen exit is Joel Biggart.î Sal spread his arms wide and said, "Welcome to our little clubhouse." He smiled warmly at the seated men, like he had just asked them to join their social club or something. As he talked, William Lawson came up to the agents and snapped a Polaroid picture of each of them. The flash startled Mac, who had been looking around the room and Victor, ready for the camera, managed to give the photographer a very nasty scowl when it was his turn to have his photo taken.

As Sal talked on, Victor listened with one ear as he studied his surroundings. His eyes followed the 'photographer' and saw that the man was pinning up their photo's on a cork board; that had many other Polaroids thumb tacked to it. Victor squinted and focused on the pictures, he could just make out what they were, like he and Mac, they were pictures of men.

Trophy shots

Victor looked away from the board and continued with his visual examination. As he looked at his surroundings, he was unaware that his hands were alternating with each other and massaging out the dull pain from his wrists, soreness from where the hand cuffs had bit into them. In the corner of the living room there was a large animal cage. Big enough for a black bear...

For a man?

His eyes flicked from the cage to Mac, who glanced back at him briefly, then to Sal who was droning on about how he and Mac were the 'chosen ones'.

Sal finally stopped speaking and walked closer to the agents. Leaning toward Victor he grabbed the agent's chin tightly and twisted Victor's head back and forth roughly as he examined the bruises and the bite mark. He pushed on the deep purple teeth marks with the pad of his thumb and when Victor flinched reflexively, his body trying to pull away from the source that was causing him the pain, Sal laughed at him.

Victor did not dare to bring his hands up and break the grip Sal had on him, the three guns aimed for his heart, was enough of a deterrent. He knew that he could have easily beaten any one of the men in the room when it came to hand to hand, or the same weapon combat, but once again it was not a fair fight, two men vs. shot guns ensured that the younger agents did not try anything reckless.

Sal let him go and said sardonically. "I see you've been playing with Gant and likely some of his inmate helpers. You're just his type of playmate. Big eyes, lot's of lashes and husky."

"Fuck you" hissed Victor, embarrassed by Sal's all to correct assumptions.

Sal ticked his tongue. "Now, now Mr. Mansfield. No need for such vulgar language." He turned his attention away from Victor, to Mac, the one he was interested in. He stepped close to the agent but did not grab him like he had done to Victor. "I see, " he said to Mac. "That you're unmarked as per my instructions.î

Mac looked sideways at his partner and Victor returned a brief, innocent looking glance. Mac scowled at Sal, waiting for the man to get just a little bit closer to him.

The judge was wearing a side arm, tucked into the back of his designer jeans. Victor wouldn't' have been able to see it, as Mac had only spotted the tell tale bulge when the man had leaned over and grabbed Victor. The look Mac had given Victor was a simple 'be ready' signal.

Victor had understood him allright. And Mac thought that if he could just grab the blabbing judge and get at his piece then he and Victor could perhaps get of this mess via a hostage. There was a nice shiny hummer parked around the back of the lodge; Mac had seen it through a window. That would do nicely when it came time to get them out of the forest.

The judge leaned in and Mac grabbed him up, lightning quick. Victor in the mean time, had jumped up and went for the man closest to him, intending on wrestling his rifle away. However, things did not go quite like the way the agents had thought it would. And by the time the melee ended, Mac had managed to get the judge's sidearm pulled and trained to his temple, while maintaining a choke hold on him. But the three other judges had left Sal to his own devices, and ganged up on Victor instead. Resulting with Victor laying flat on his back on the hard wood floor, next to the grizzly bear rug looking extremely pissed off. The three judges' weapons were trained solely on him.

Sal gurgled out, "Good try ace. But no dice. Let me go or your partner down there makes a book end for the rug he's next to."

Mac gave Sal an extra squeeze around his throat before releasing the man; he pushed the judge away from himself in disgust.

Victor glared up at the gun men and, reaching up, he swept away two of the barrels pointing at his chest, each, with one hand. Victor stood and went back to the stool that he had been seated on, and lowered himself onto it.

Victor spoke to Mac out the side of his mouth. "Nice try partner." He said.

Mac, already sitting, casually shrugged his shoulders and said in return. "Well it was worth a shot any ways."

"Yeah." Victor murmured back.

Sal finished straightening out his clothes, then he turned to Mac and said matter of fact, as if they had never been interrupted by the scuffle, "You're younger so you will go first. William and I will be tracking you."

Mac frowned at the judges and said sarcastically, "I'm honored, your honor." Next to Mac, Victor snorted softly into the back of his hand.

Sal whirled toward Victor. "You think that's funny, do you?"

The agent stopped laughing. "Yeah. I do. You're going down, you and your old geezer friends!" Victor said impudently.

The judge Sal's demeanor morphed instantly from calm to angry. He looked over his shoulder at the judge named Joel and flicked his eyes toward Victor. The man answered the signal by walking to the agent and standing beside him.

Victor looked between Sal and the man standing next to him. Wondering what was going to happen next.

Sal said to Victor, under control now, "On the contrary, your the one going down." And then the man standing next to the agent raised his shotgun and struck Victor in the side of the head with the butt end of it.

Victor managed to raise his hands in a defensive manoeuver, and say "hey..." before the rifle struck home. Right after the blow, Victor lay on the floor, unconscious and unable to say anything at all.

Mac jumped up instantly yelling at the men, "GODDAMNED YOU" He dropped to his knees beside his partner.

Judge Joel pointed his rifle at Mac's chest and said coldly, "Sit down."

Mac, seething with anger, rose slowly and went back to the stool. He kept looking between Victor, the man who had rendered him unconscious and Sal. The man, who had been introduced as William, stepped up to Mac and began talking to him. The two judges, Joel and Austin, shouldered their high-powered rifles and then put one hand each, under Victor's armpits. Together they dragged Victor, all 200 lbs. of his dead weight, toward the cage that was sitting in the corner.

Mac watched as his partner was unceremoniously carted away like a sack of turnips. Mesmerized, his eyes followed the narrow, crimson blood trail that marked the path to the cage. Victor's forehead had split open where the gun butt impacted with his head.

William cleared his throat, his voice was soft and refined and sounded like he had been raised in a background that spoke of 'old money' and a 'proper upbringing.' "Never mind him Mac. Right now, you need to be concerned about yourself. He smiled warmly at the young agent. William turned to Sal, totally unconcerned about Victor's current state, and said, "He's perfect. His trophy will be the prettiest one yet."

Sal nodded in agreement. He turned to look at Victor who was still unconscious and safely settled in the caged and commented back, "Too bad Gant and his goons messed up the other one. He's not very photogenic anymore."

Mac glowered back and forth between the judges and then said impatiently, "Are we going to get this show on the road or what?"

"Yes.Yes. Yes." William admonished, "We were just coming to that. Here's the rules... There are no rules, it's a free-for-all... meaning you do what you have to do to survive and we will track you down and kill you any ways." All four men laughed in unison.

Mac merely looked blandly and them and thought,

So you think.

He turned his attention to his partner and stared at Victor's unmoving form. He swallowed hard and couldn't help but think that Victor was so still he almost looked dead.

Hopefully he'll manage to stay alive long enough for a rescue.

Mac knew that it was only a matter of time before the agency figured out that they were missing. They would assuredly put two and two together and find he and Victor, eventually and hopefully before it was too late for the both of them.

Sal spoke, pulling Mac's thoughts away from Victor. He looked at judge Sal, who was saying, "You will get a half hour head start... that's your only advantage.

Mac raised his eyebrows. "You mean," he asked unbelieving, "that I don't even get a weapon to help defend my self with."

"Of course not." William answered practically. "Were hunting you not the other way around."

We'll see about that!

Mac grinned sarcastically at the judge then said insultingly, "Let me guess. You started out on this path by shooting the bunnies in the rabbit hutches back home on the estate when you were a kid."

Judge William paled, looking angry for the first time. "You impudent..."

Mac knew that he had hit some sort of a nerve. "Talk about shooting fish in a barrel."

Sal patted his friend's shoulder, trying to calm the sputtering man. "No need to get personal Mac." He said. "The clothes on your back-that's it. Now," Sal looked at his expensive, all weather hunting watch, "I suggest you get going, the clock is ticking." He smiled evilly at Mac.

The agent stood up, trying to decide which way to go. He was planning on going out the front door of the lodge, but then he looked toward the small door in the kitchen and spotted, on a counter near the door, an unopened wine bottle and sitting next to it a small red pen knife. He darted his eyes over the knife. Then with one last, wistful look at his partner, Mac said a silent goodbye to him and ran toward the kitchen door. He stumbled, grabbed the counter to stop his fall then expertly palmed the small utensil. Flinging open the door dramatically, Mac ran outside.

The brisk morning air slapped him in the face. Stopping, Mac looked around again, orienting himself to which way the stream ran and the position of the sun in the sky. He compared it to when he and Victor had arrived earlier; in turn told him which way was east and which way was west. Looking up at the tall Cedars and Douglas fir trees that surrounded the lodge, Mac noted them and filed away the tall timbers for later use as a land mark. Opening up his right hand, Mac examined the stolen tool, noting that it was a Swiss wine utensil and not actually a pocket knife.

It figures.

However it didn't matter anyway, as there was a small knife in the casing, about the length of his pinky that was very sharp. The knife was for cutting off the safety bands around the necks of the wine bottles. Along with the knife, there was also a corkscrew which was sharp at the point, it too would come in handy.

No screw top bottles of wine for that group.

Mac pushed the corkscrew and knife back into place and then shoved it into his pants pocket. He was grateful that at least he had sort of a weapon now, no matter how small, he would be sure make good use of it.

Mac had grown up in the crowded streets of Hong Kong. Many a time he had been forced to rely on his sense of direction and his wits alone to get by. Especially when fleeing from someone, he had just victimized by relieving them of their wallets. This situation wasn't so different from the jams he had gotten himself in way back when. With the exception of that instead of running down alleys using buildings as his land marks; he would have to use the trees. The forest was his city and the trees along with the stream were his landmarks. Mac picked a direction and then he ran into the forest.

###

25 minutes later:

"Okay." William said, slapping the bolt home on his rifle. "Were out of here." Joel and Austin, the two judges who would be tracking down Victor when the time came, sat at the kitchen table.

Sal dropped a Polaroid camera into his small knapsack, zipping it up he put it on. William was already wearing his knapsack. Both men tucked their sidearms away into the appropriate holsters. Sal slung his rifle over his right shoulder and said excitedly, "Lets do it." He sounded as exited as a teenager who was attending his first rock concert.

###

4 hours later

Victor slowly emerged from his unconscious state and once he realized that he was actually awake, he cracked his eyelids just enough to discovered that he was being housed in a cage.

It has to be the one I saw in the corner of the livingroom.

The agent didn't dare open his eyes all the way, or even move his body for that matter. For one- he didn't want to call attention to himself and two- his head ached so bad that it had been excruciatingly painful for him just opening up his eyes a fraction. Victor lay there, motionless by necessity, for several minutes listening to the two judges discuss the changing face of the juvenile criminal system.

The men debated in quiet, calm voices and sounded relaxed. As if they didn't have a man, they thought to be unconscious, locked up in a bear cage. One would never have known, from the tone of their voices that two of their party was outside, right now, tracking and chasing another human being through a giant forest with the intent of finding and killing him. Then, once that person was dead, the hunters would take a Polaroid picture of the dead body. Not only would the photograph serve as a trophy, but also as macabre documentation of a man's demise. Grisly business indeed, and the judges may as well as been waiting for their wives to return home from an afternoon of berry picking, judging by their manner.

Victor's stomach turned in time with the throbbing in his head, and as he lay there, on the cold cage floor fighting the urge to vomit, he heard a shotgun blast. It came from a long way off, far into the distance. The dreaded sound pierced through him like a fiery arrow, his stomach rolling over and over, giving him no relief.

Right after the gun blast had sounded, Victor heard one of the judges say to the other casually, 'That's Sal's gun. Mr. Ramsey is a goner.'

Then the other one said back, 'He lived longer than the last guy."

With those words ringing through his already tender brain, Victor was unable to hold back his gorge any longer. Doubly sick with concussion and with the thought that he would never see his best friend and lover again, he rolled over and got to his hands and knees. A couple of short seconds later his stomach let go, purging its contents onto the plain steel, grey coloured cage floor. Luckily, there wasn't a whole lot left in his tender stomach from breakfast. The less regurgitated contents meant less of a smell.

Victor's head throbbed twice as hard after puking and he broke out into a heavy sweat. He was barely coherent, in fact, he hardly knew what he was doing. Everything was so dream like... so surreal. He thought that he heard the judges shouting, but he couldn't be sure. And mixed in with the yelling, he could also just make out what he thought might be pounding on the door. But his troubled psyche could only focus on the fact that Mac was gone. With his head pounding faster than his own heart beat, Victor rolled to his back and squeezed to one side of the cage. Laying back down he passed immediately into oblivion.

###

The two men at the table heard a gunshot blast. One of them commented on who's gun it was. Then they heard the sounds of vomiting and they knew that their own 'target' had finally woken up. Judge Joel had turned to rebuke Victor for soiling his tiny cell, when he heard gravel crunching underneath, what had to be, several pairs of feet. Both men rose at the same time to check out the sound, each of them reaching for their own guns simultaneously. But before they could even leave the kitchen, there was pounding on the front door and the tiny kitchen one as well.

Then without warning, both of the wooden doors were smashed open by a battering ram. The two judges were swarmed by people, dressed in head to toe black. The balaclava's included. Once the older men were properly subdued, a petit red-haired woman stalked up to the men, she was followed in by a tall, young Asian woman who looked pissed off and by a large bald black man, whose expression was unreadable. The flame haired beauty stood directly in front of the judges, she was dressed in a tight, black cat suit that showed her figure off.

Both of the judges eyed her body appreciatively.

Standing only inches away, she bent over at the waist and spoke into Austin Mayne's face, "Now gentlemen," She said calmly, "Just where the HELL are my agents." Her voice coming out as sharp as a hunting knife.

###

Part Eighteen

Mac's Run

The air burst out of his tired lungs in large puffs, hugging a large cedar for support, Mac panted heavily.

I'm using up too much energy. I have to pull myself together.

He had been running full bore, through the dense forest, for more than 20 minutes. Mac knew that running hard, the way he had been doing would only bring the two hunting judges to him sooner. And he would rather that he saw them later.

Relax Ramsey. Relax.

Mac calmed himself and tried coming up with some sort of a game plan, but first, before he did anything else, he needed to rest. He had wasted most of his energy stores by doing a great imitation of a 'chicken running with its head cut off' routine. Mac flopped down on a large semi-hollow log and cradled his head in his hands. He tuned out the grugling streams hypnotic meter.

Somehow, he needed to cover his tracks of where he had been and try to turn the tables on the hunters and start tracking them down instead. It was only a matter of time before one or both of the judges found him.

He assumed that the judges would be tracking him together, and would only split up if the trail led two separate ways. Mac needed to divide them. That way he would have a fighting chance at conquering them. As he sat there resting, a plan began to formulate.

He was somewhere deep in the forest, exactly where though, he had no idea. He only knew that he was upstream from the lodge. Mac looked up into the sky, found his directions, but decided that before he went back to the lodge he would first have to get rid of the hunters. As soon as they were out of the way, Mac intended on making his way back as fast as possible to Victor.

Mac finished figuring out the logistics of his plan. No longer tired from his run, he jumped up and began to set up his scheme. Having no watch, Mac was unable to tell time, so all he could do was estimate that he had about another half hour before the judges found him. Standing on the fallen log, he looked up and reaching up high, broke off a healthy, green branch from a maple tree. Mac walked the length of the log to the creek, where he squatted down and used the small knife to strip the leaves and peel the limb. Making good use of the knife, he whittled a sharp point at one end of the bare branch. He was very careful to let all of the debris fall into the water so it would be carried down the stream; leaving no evidence for the judges to see. Mac walked the log back to the still bushy maple and standing below it he looked up again, smiling into the foliage.

Climbing the tree proved to be no obstacle for Mac. Once up amongst the branches, he stashed the make shift spear safely within the sturdy limbs of the tree. Clambering down Mac finished setting the rest of his booby trap and then he set about covering his tracks near the tree and log. Once done, Mac walked away in another direction and laid out a false trail that would be sure to separate the hunters from the safety of each other.

###

40 minutes later

The judges finally picked up again, what they thought had to be Mac's trail, the men had been following him for quite sometime. Both came to a halt in the still forest at the same time and William squatted down and examined a crushed fern frond. He looked toward the other direction and noted that there was also partial foot print in the wet mud, indicating that the trail led in two different directions.

"He's splitting us up." Declared William, the tone of his voice sounded almost pride-like.

Sal pulled out his water bottle and took a drink. Replacing the bottle he asked, "Which way do you want?"

William stood up, his knees creaking as he rose. "I'll go left and follow the crushed fern. You take the footprint."

"Damn." Sal said.

"What?" Asked William.

"I was just thinking about Joel and Austin. I knew this punk was going to give us a good run for our money. Too bad those two ended up drawing Mansfield, in his condition, he won't be able to put up very much of a fight."

William took a drink from his own water bottle, "Yeah," he agreed. "We definitely got the better of the two. Mind you it's not Joel and Austin's fault that Gant can't keep ...er..." He coughed lightly, "...keep his hands off of the merchandise." William wiped his sweaty brow with a black linen handkerchief.

Sal looked at his partner. "Yes, well, be that as it may. I don't know how they will manage to get a decent challenge out of tracking down a man who is already half dead."

William laughed. "Oh, don't worry for them. They will make it interesting somehow. Just like you did the last time when you ended up drawing the dud."

Sal joined his partner in laughter. "Same bet as before?" he asked jovially.

"Sure" said William. "The first one to bag the target, gets to pick the restaurant. Lunch is on the loser..."

Both men continued to chuckle as one went left and the other right. Neither man even imagining that there would be any other out come, other then the one that ended with Mac, belly up and dead.

###

Mac pulled off his white T-shirt, his skin instantly reacted and raised an army of tiny goose bumps. He stuffed the shirt into one end of the log that he was standing on and then briskly rubbed his hands up and down his arms trying warm himself. Mac was tempted to put his shirt back on to help fight the chill in the air, but he just had to grin and bear it for a while; white could be seen from a long way off in the forest. Mac knew he was better off with wearing his natural skin tone while hiding up in the large maple tree. And just to be on the safe side, he reached into the stream and grabbed up a hand full of mud to enhance his natural camouflage with. He rubbed the icy muck up and down his arms and then made a few quick strokes under his eyes and over his cheekbones and added one stripe over the length of his nose. Mac looked down at his bare chest, he smiled at the dark thatch of chest hair that covered him. Glad for once for the thick growth. The dark hair meant that at least he did not have to rub the gritty mud over his chest.

Mac rinsed his hands in the running water then ran them down the back of his pants, hastily drying them. He took one final look around the quiet forest before nimbly climbing up the large overgrown tree. He sat in the tree as unmoving as a spider lying in wait for a fly. Mac controlled his breathing, he did not want the clouds of visible air that his warm breath made when it greeted the bracing air of the outdoors, to be seen. The hunters may have been smart, but Mac knew he was smarter because his instincts for survival were stronger than theirs. They were continually being sharpened, starting from the time he was a small boy and alone on the streets of Hong Kong.

The judges were overconfident, they believed they were invincible, and that, was their Achilles heal. It would surely lead to their downfall.

As Mac patiently waited, his thoughts drifted to Victor. He wondered if his lover was awake yet or if —knowing Victor like he did—the agent had forced the other two judges into cracking him over the head again; maybe even killing him before he could even get out of the cage. Mac silently hoped that his partner was all right.

He has to be.

Mac certainly could be of no help him from the bush.

Holding the small knife ready in one hand and the home made spear in the other, Mac smiled into the large leaves at the images of him and Victor, a twig snapped, pulling him out of his vivid daydream. Mac pushed Victor aside and steeled his body motionless. He looked down and saw that Judge William was below him one side of the fallen log, hunched over and examining a broken salal plant.

The sturdy green plant had been deliberately stepped on by the cunning agent.

Feeling very much like 'Rambo', Mac slowly lifted the spear, took aim and threw it with all of his might. He had intended on only distracting the judge with the spear, planning on using the element of surprise as his real weapon in over powering the armed, older man.

But to Mac's complete astonishment, the home made device actually penetrated the judges flesh. The older man screamed out at the excruciating pain, then immediately passed out.

Mac scrambled down the tree and crouched next to the judge, snorting in disgust at the unconscious man.

He can dish it out, but can't take it Figures!

Mac had no sympathy for one fourth of the quad of deranged law men.

He none too carefully extricated the spear from the judge's high; who shuddered, but did not wake up. Mac grabbed the small knapsack the judge was wearing and yanked it off of the man. Rummaging around, he pulled out various items he thought would be useful to him and his quest. He came across a small first aid kit, Mac would rather have let the man die, but he was not a cold-blooded killer. So using the knife, Mac cut open the hole in the pants and examined the judge's wound. Mac determined that the judge was not hurt too badly. The wound was only oozing out blood slowly. Mac's lucky shot had not hit anything crucial.

"Don't worry,.." Mac said to the unconscious man as he poured disinfectant over the puncture "You'll live."

Mac finished the last of the bandaging then rolled the judge over, with the rope that he had found in the knapsack, he bound the still unconscious man hand and foot using knots that could not be untied. The ropes would have to be cut off in order to be removed. Mac dragged the man to a small rock cave that he had found in the vicinity, rolled him into the darkness and then sealed the man in by covering the entrance with fallen boughs he had gathered before hand.

Pulling out an energy bar that he had scrounged, Mac tore the wrapper off and wolfed it down. He ate the bland bar not because he was hungry but because he would need the charbohydrates to keep his body warm.

Before he had 'disposed' of the judge, Mac had taken the man's outer, light weight hunting jacket and his side arm. Mac put the jacket on and double checked the clip in the 9mm automatic. Emptying the contents out of a large zip lock bag, he put the gun inside the thick plastic then sealed and pocketed the whole neat little package. He walked along the log to the stream, and then gingerly stepped off of it into the ice cold water. The agent blew out his breath and his entire body gave an involuntary shudder in defense against the biting chill of the swift running stream. Mac noiselessly sank to his belly and let the current carry him downstream, toward the lodge.

The jacket that Mac had pilfered off of the fallen judge did little in way of keeping him warm from the streams' cold grasp. He floated with the current for about ten minutes before he was just too cold to go on. Looking ahead and to his left, Mac spied a large depression in the side of the six-foot bank; he swam toward the spot. It would be the perfect hiding place for him while he tried to warm up and think through the second half of his hazardous scheme.

Mac stood up to examine the 'cave' and discovered it was little more than a hole in the wall of the bank, nevertheless, he pushed aside the hanging grass and tree roots and sat down inside of the small hollow. The cramped space would heat up easier than a large area any ways. Mac let the long grass and roots that he had been holding open go, they fell back together and created a thick curtain which concealed his hiding spot nicely. He rubbed his hands through his hair and pushed the water through it. His hands were numb from the cold and as he was busy blowing on them to warm them up, Mac heard a twig snap. Freezing mid-blow, Mac listened intently.

No way. He can't be up there.

Mac continued to wait and listen. He heard more undergrowth crunching followed by the sound of rustling of clothes. Everything was slightly muffled because of the noise of the stream, but Mac could still hear the faint sounds. After a few seconds, the cold agent stared disbelieving through the fringe of greenery at a large, arcing stream of urine. The judge was standing on the bank directly above him, and pissing into the water. Mac could not believe his good luck.

The gods are with me today!

Carefully he reached into his pocket and slowly pulled out the 9mm, bag and all. Breaking the seal of the zip-lock, Mac reached in and removed the gun. He pushed off the safety and waiting for the stream of urine to end.

Once it did, Mac counted off 10 silent seconds before he parted the foliage that was concealing him and cautiously made his way out of his tiny hiding place. He slowly rose to his feet and hoped that the trickling stream would cover any small noise that he might make.

Mac took a deep breath, then stood up and peeked over the edge of the bank. Judge Sal was standing with his back to the stream and was taking a sip of water. The agent smiled, and then without giving a warning, shot the unaware man in each calf. Careful to aim so that his bullets would pass through the meat of the muscle cleanly. He did not want to hit anything vital, like an artery. Mac only wanted to impede the older man; the judge had to live so that he would have to face trial and ultimately imprisonment. All of the judges would get back a small dose of their own bad medicine.

The judge immediately fell to the ground. He writhed all around in pain and accompanied the frantic movements with screams.

Mac pulled himself up from the water to the ground and went over to where the judge was. First he pulled another length of rope from his pocket and trussed the judge in the same manner as he had done to the other. Then he hastily patched up the gunshot wounds. Mac dragged the man to the base of a large birch tree and left him there. Squatting down he removed the man's side arm and knapsack.

"You're lucky it was me who shot you. Victor would have made sure he killed you." Mac said simply as he pulled a Polaroid camera out of the knapsack. Standing up Mac ignore the judges' useless threats and nasty epithets and took a picture of the bound man.

"Evidence." Mac said simply. All of a sudden, he heard his name being called out. Snapping his head toward the sound, Mac grabbed up both guns—one in each hand—and hunkered down next to the injured man. The call came again, and this time Mac recognized the voice; it belonged to Murphy. He stood up smiling.

"Over here" He called out in reply.

Seconds after he had called out a response, Mac was greeted by both Murphy and Camier`, in black commando gear. Mac could not help but smile at the sight of the cleaners in head to toe black.

His smile quickly faded and he asked Murphy, "How's Victor?" As soon as the men were within ear shot. Mac was very worried about his partner.

Murphy looked up into Mac's eyes and replied honestly, "I don't know. He was lining the bottom of a bear cage last I saw him."

"SHIT!" was all Mac said in return.

"Come on Ramsey." Mr. Camier` piped in optimistically, "The sooner we get back to the lodge, the sooner you'll find out about Mansfield."

On the hike back to the lodge, Murphy filled Mac in on how LiAnne and the Director figured out that the agents were missing, and how they traced them to the remote cabin. Mac nodded his head in all the right places, but he was only half listening to the cleaners, Mac could not stop thinking of Victor and the condition he had been in the last time he had seen him.

###

As soon as Mac saw some of the lodge's wooden logs peeking through the thick forest, he began running for the building. Murphy and Camier` just let him go. They needed to find the head of the armed crew to tell him the where abouts of the other two judges any ways. All four men would be handed over to the RCMP, who would then promptly arrest and charge all of the middle-aged men.

###

Mac burst in through the front door. "Victor" he shouted as he darted his eyes from the empty bear cage to all around the room. His anxious gaze rested on LiAnne, who was smiling at him and then the Director, who was frowning at him.

The women were standing shoulder to shoulder and from behind them, Mac heard a weak, "I'm here Mac. I'm okay."

The ladies parted. In back of them, on a wooden stool, sat Victor. The slightly dazed agent was haloed from behind by a large, late afternoon sunbeam that was shining down through the sky light directly above him.

Mac had never seen an angel before, but he thought that he was gazing upon one now.

Victor smiled as best as he could manage. He looked up at his partner; eyes shining in the afternoon sun. His pupils were large with dilation and his head ached and he was holding a cotton compress over the cut on his head. Victor's deep green eyes were surrounded by dark purple and he was bruised on both cheek bones. The bite mark left by the inmate at Kensington stood out at the corner of his mouth and partially ringed his slightly swollen lips.

But none of it mattered to Mac. All he could think of was how beautiful a sight his partner—his lover was. He ignored LiAnne and her greeting. Not caring who was in the room or who was watching them, Mac walked right up to Victor and pulled the seated man to himself and hugged him fiercely.

He pushed Victor's head against his belly and held the agent tightly. Mac leaned down and kissed the crown of short, bristly hair at the top of Victor's head.

"God I'm so glad to see you Victor" he said huskily, "I thought that you were dead."

Victor, still holding the compress, brought his free arm around and circled Mac's waist with it.

"Me too, Mac. I heard the gunshots and I thought that they had got you."

Mac looked up at the Director, who was smiling at him, then at LiAnne who was now frowning at him. No one else was in the room with them.

The director had sent everyone else away with a simple sweep of her hand. "Well it looks like we solved this one boys." She said.

"Yeah. Only you left the rescue a little bit late didn't you?" Replied Mac angrily.

"Yes." Was all the Director said. She signaled to LiAnne, "I guess I did." Then both women walked out together.

Mac, still clutching Victor to body, watched them leave and once the door closed behind them, he squatted down and held onto either side of his partner's face lightly. He looked up, and locking eyes with his lover, he whispered hoarsely, "I love you Victor. Watching those cons and the judges hurt you that way..." Choked with emotion, Mac's voice faltered. "...It was more than I could take. I hope I never have to see that again." Before he could give Victor time to reply, Mac gently put his lips to his partners and pressed him into a slow, deep kiss.

###

Part Nineteen

Two months after Kensington

Mac left Victor's kitchen and went into the living room. In one hand he held two long neck bottles of beer and in the other he had a bowl of popcorn. He put the food and drink down on the coffee table then crossed over to the television set and turned off the 'Dirty Harry' movie that he and Victor had been watching.

When Victor mentioned needing some 'munchies, Mac had eagerly volunteered to make some popcorn. He had untangled his long legs from Victor's shorter ones and immediately went straight for the kitchen. When it came to popcorn, Mac preferred the 'old-fashioned way' of cooking it; meaning he still used a heavy pot and some oil on top of the stove.

The reason Mac had offered to make the snack in the first place was because he didn't have the heart to tell Victor that he never really got into Clint Eastwood or 'Dirty Harry'. Bruce Lee movies were more to his taste, which he knew, Victor did not care for at all.

Pulling over a plain wooden chair from the dining room, Mac placed it across the coffee table from Victor and sat down. He smiled at his lover, who was presently sleeping peacefully on his back with his arms folded across his chest as if to ward off the bad dreams, thus protecting himself in his slumber.

The apartment was dark, all the lights were out except for a small, 30 watt bulb that lit up one of Victor's paintings. The picture light gave off just enough of a glow to allow Mac to see Victor. As he sat, he stared at his lover, studying his profile. There was still some light bruising visible on Victor's temple; left overs from one of the judges cracking him in the side of the head with the butt of a rifle.

In addition to the bruise, there several small scars whose scabs had long since healed over and fallen away. Victor's outer shell was healing well enough, unfortunately the same could not be said for his inner self. Mac was very aware that the visions and dreams still popped up now and again to haunt Victor; painting vivid pictures in his psyche of his time spent as the victim; not the savior.

Victor was, at least, on this particular night, seemingly in state of rest. He appeared serene, and free from the nightmares that had plagued him off and on for the last couple of months. Even after they had left the lodge and the forest behind them, far to the north.

Mac leaned forward and grabbed one of the beers he had brought from the kitchen. He put the bottle to his lips and took a deep swallow of the ice cold liquid. Leaning back so that his chair was balancing on two legs, he used his bare left foot as an anchor by resting it against the coffee table.

He continued to watch his lover of just two short months as he slept; Victor unaware of the audience. Sitting in the dark, Mac took another drink of his beer and mused about how Victor had finally gotten Matt out of prison.

Victor, determined to see justice done, had cajoled and argued until the Director, tired of his nagging, finally relented. She pulled every string she had and called in every petty favor, until two weeks later, she finally got confirmation that Matt would be released early from his sentence. Once released, Matt had spent the better part of the month in a civilian hospital before being released into the care of his family.

The Director had put up with Victor's nagging only because it was her way of apologizing, without actually having to say the words, for all of the bad things that happened to him while inside. Things, she was partially responsible for, especially the whole fiasco with Walker and his crazy thoughts.

Mac belched lightly and let himself be taken back to the day when Matt was released from Prison.

###

The day that Matt Vandenburg was finally to be released from the walls of Kensington, Victor had made sure that he was there to see it. Matt was to be brought out of the prison's own private infirmary and put directly into a waiting ambulance, for immediate transfer to Sacred Mercy Hospital. There was an ambulance waiting for him on the inside; Victor and Matt's young wife Mary-Anne, were waiting for him on the outside. Just past the concrete and steel main gates.

Mary-Anne stood next to Victor, silent, anxious for her and her small daughter, Anna, to join her husband on the ambulance ride to his new accommodations. Victor held the couple's toddler in his arms, his emotions kept safely hidden away, deep inside of himself; unaccessible to all.

Mac was waiting too, but he was a short distance away from then, sitting in his car. He watched, his face expressionless, from the warmth of the BMW. while his partner stood resolutely in the cold drizzle, holding a tiny umbrella over Matt's little girl. Mary-Anne stood under her own umbrella. Anna, pleased to be outside, was dressed for the weather, she had on a shiny pink rain slicker, hat and coat. Victor however, wore nothing but a kangaroo coat to protect him from the elements; letting himself become drenched, still trying to punish himself for Matts situation.

Finally, after waiting for over a half and hour, the big gates moaned and then began to slowly creak open, eventually letting the emergency vehicle carrying Victor's young friend to freedom through them. The ambulance stopped next to the trio and the double doors at the back opened up and waited. Mary-Anne took Anna from Victor's warm arms and standing on her toes she kissed him on his cheek. Mac could see that she had said something to him after the kiss, but what, he couldn't say for sure. Victor never mentioned what it was. However, Mac was sure he had seen her mouth the word 'angel' to him.

The girls disappeared into the back of the vehicle, the doors slammed shut and without any ceremony, pulled away.

Victor had stood in the rain long after the ambulance had disappeared. So long in fact that Mac, who had been trying to give his partner some space, finally got out of the car and walked over to his lover. Victor turned his head at the sound of the door slamming, then quickly turned his back to Mac and hastily knuckled away the tears that had been falling with the rain.

Not fooled in the least by Victor, Mac simply stood behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist. Mac pulled Victor in tight to his still warm body; back against chest. Victor patted the backs of Mac's hands but otherwise he did not move or speak.

"He's safe now." Mac said softly.

"I know." Came the reply.

"You saved his life and got him sprung early from prison. There's nothing more you can do. The rest is up to him you know."

"I know." Parroted Victor again.

"Then why are you so sad?"

"I don't know. Maybe because I look at Matt and see that in my whole career as a cop, he was the only success. One person out of hundreds." Victor squinted out into the distance, his eyes on the empty prison yard. He focused in on the bench that he and Matt had first sat on, all those weeks ago. "My career as a cop was a failure. I'm a failure and it hurts to know that."

Mac let the silence sit with them for a bit. After a while, he kissed Victor's cheek—and the agent smiled—but Mac couldn't see it. He rested his chin over Victor's shoulder and tried to pick out what it was exactly, that Victor was looking at. "It's time to let it go Victor. It don't mean nothin' no more. Besides, Matt wouldn't think you're a failure. Would he?" Mac kissed Victor's cheek again.

"No..." said Victor huskily, "I suppose not." He took in a deep breath of the damp air and blew it out, watching the small clouds he had made when his warm breath hit the cool air... "Come on Mac, lets go home." Victor broke out of Mac's loving embrace and started to the car , his melancholy un-assuaged...

###

Mac put the empty beer bottle down and picked up the other one up beside it on the table. The popcorn long since forgotten. He leaned back in his chair again and turned his thoughts to the corrupt judges... Four men who had thought that they were untouchable and above the law...

###

Seven weeks after Kensington

Three weeks after being rescued and two weeks after Victor had allowed Mac back into his bed, The two agents had gotten an early morning call from Director, at Victor's apartment. Both of them were instruct to 'Get your asses down here. Pronto.'

The men reluctantly rose from their warm bed and slowly made themselves ready to go to work on a Saturday.

When they arrived, LiAnne was already there, sitting in the centre chair, stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the boy's new found relationship. Victor and Mac sat, without argument, in their usual places. And shortly after that The Director deigned to make her entrance. She stormed to the long table and dropped four thick, beige file folders in front of the agents. She was angry and frustrated, all three could see that easily enough.

"Austin Mayne, Joel Biggart, Sal Martin and William Laslo. All four, as of yesterday, charged with numerous counts of first degree murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit first degree murder." The Directors eyes briefly flicked to Mac and Victor as she said, "The crown counsel has also tossed in several counts of 'abuse of human remains.'" She began to pace back and forth in front of the long table.

"The photographic and forensic evidence alone had all four dead to rights." She stopped pacing and went over to her desk, picked up a small remote and pressed a button. She clicked through several slides, which showed the incriminating evidence against the judges.

"All four of the 'wise' men had foolishly photographed the dead men before and after their..." The Director cleared her throat, "...their untimely demises. They also video taped several of the hunting expeditions and then showed their 'home movies' to other members involved in the racket. The block of judges were going down for this, no doubt about it."

Mac interrupted the Director and asked, "What the hell do you mean by were going down?"

Plainly irritated, The Director turned to all three agents and said, "This morning all four men were found dead in their cells." She clicked the remote again, and the large screen divided into four parts, a picture of each man hanging shown. "Each man was hanged by his own hand using the sheets from their cots. It appears, they had a suicide pact with each other."

LiAnne stared at the gruesome photo's indifferently, and said just as dispassionately, "Well, at least they saved the taxpayers the expense of a trial."

Victor swept his eyes over the four men, his gaze rested on the judge who had hit him in the head, splitting it open. Unconsciously he fingered the scab at his temple.

"You have anything to say, Victor?" the Director asked him.

Victor looked up at his boss, "Yeah. Good riddance?" Covering his emotions over the men who tried to murder both he and Mac, and their ultimate deaths, Victor dropped his hands into his lap and examined the dry skin on the cuticle of his thumb.

"Mac? You're unusually quiet." Commented LiAnne, looking to her right directly at him.

Mac didn't turn his attention to LiAnne, instead he just kept studying Victor's profile. After a seconds, unable to read his lover's expression, he turned his gaze toward his boss, "I wanted to watch those bastards go down for this..." he shrugged his shoulders, "...but at least this way they can't get off with an insanity plea or some other bogus way, like on a technicality." Disgusted with the injustice, he stood up and started to walk away, Victor stood too and started to follow.

The Director called them both back. "Hold on you two." The men turned around in unison, "I'm not done yet."

They walked back to their seats and sat, waiting expectantly for the 'other shoe to drop'.

She said once they had sat down again, "Thomas Walker's..." Victor's unconscious flinch at the name did not go unnoticed he her, "...body was found early this morning."

Clicking the remote, a crime scene photo of the burial site appeared, "In a shallow grave about five kilometers north of Kensington Pen. He was discovered by our own people."

The crime scene photo disappeared and another one appeared on the screen. She went through several slides of the scene and the evidence as she talked, "Even though he was badly decomposed, there was enough left of him to determine that is tongue had been cut out. And going by the prelim exam from our 'body snatchers' at the site, his throat had been cut too."

She stopped the slide on a face shot of Walker, his bright blue eyes and light blond hair made him look boyishly handsome; almost naive. Victor, however knew differently.

"Thomas Walker was a mentally disturbed, obsessed man, whose inability to tell the difference between reality and fantasy had ultimately, been the cause to his down fall." She clicked to another shot of Walker in his prison uniform, striking a formal pose, most likely taken at the time he was hired at Kensington.

Victor blanched at the sight of Walker. All of the horrible memories of Kensington and what he had done—the rape, bartering his own body for information—came flooding back to him. He was nauseous at the thought.

"I want the three of you to meet Dobrinski at Walker's apartment." She looked at her watch and said, "He should be there in about an hour and a half. Toss the place and remove anything that might connect Walker with the Agency. The local cops won't be there to check it out until late this afternoon." None of the agents asked the Director how she knew the cops wouldn't show up until after they had done their bit. They sat silently in their chairs waiting for more. Finally the Director clicked her tongue and said, "Now, you can go now."

The trio rose and as they were leaving the Director handed the address to the apartment to LiAnne, as she passed by.

###

Having just finished his second beer, Mac stood up and stretched then went back into the kitchen for another.

Victor was still sleeping peacefully, as if having Mac watching over him could somehow assuage his dreams.

Familiar with Victor's apartment, he opened the fridge door and pulled out another bottle, after he had shut it, his eyes rested on a photo stuck to the door of the fridge. He had forgotten that he and Victor had even posed for the picture. It was one LiAnne had taken of her male partners just after they had completed a difficult mission. It was by Mac and Victor's cooperation with each other that they had been able to rescue LiAnne and an entire Biotech lab from a bomb. A bomb that had been planted by a terrorist group whose freakish leader had a death wish.

The picture marked the first time that the guys had to work together, without her to buffer their differences. A single photograph showing them smiling with their arm around each others shoulder, happy together; and taken long before they had even imagined they could be friends, let alone intimate lovers.

A solitary picture, that, Victor had at some point gone to LiAnne for. Victor had taken the time to put it in a small magnetic frame in order to display it openly on his white fridge door. Looking at the photo made Mac wonder; why, if they had only just recently fallen in love, then how come Victor had a photograph of just the two of them on his fridge, when there was nothing else taking up space there? A photograph that had been taken over a year ago, well before the events at Kensington...

###

LiAnne deftly picked the lock to Walker's apartment. She twisted the knob and gave a light push to open the door. The whole B&E operation took all of two minutes, maybe even less. She stood up, dusted off her knees and went into the small bachelors' suite. When she reached to the centre of the room, she stopped in her tracks and stared around the place.

She had been followed in by Mac, who actually bumped into her statue like form. He had started to say something to her before cutting of his own words when he saw the decor of Walkers Apartment.

Victor, the last to enter, carefully closed the door behind himself. Dobrinski had phoned LiAnne earlier to say that he 'was stuck in traffic' and that the team should go ahead without him. He would see them later at the agency. Victor walked into the room and stood beside his partners, frozen at the sight of Walkers choice of 'wall paper'.

"OH... MY... GOD...!" Exclaimed LiAnne.

"HOLY SHIT." Was all Mac could think of to say.

Victor finished by saying, "I think I'm going to be sick!" Then he promptly fulfilled his prediction by running to the small bathroom to his left and vomiting the contents of his stomach into the toilet.

Both Mac and LiAnne left Victor alone with his own devices while he was in the bathroom. He wouldn't want 'company' in there with him any ways. Instead, the two of them stood together, speechlessly absorbing just how deep Thomas Walker mental illness was. He was much more sicker than anyone even realized.

Mac pulled a small state of the art video camera from the inside of a large black canvass bag and started filming. While LiAnne finally shouted to Victor, asking him if he was all right.

When Victor finally emerged from the bathroom he was wiping his mouth with the hem of his T-shirt. Leaving it untucked and answered flatly, "Yeah, I'm okay. Lets get to work."

Mac was busy filming the walls of the tidy, but musty apartment. And on those walls were hundreds and hundreds of pictures of Victor. Walker had pasted up photos' of Victor every where; all of them appearing to have been taken on the sly.

"I don't remember ever seeing a camera." Commented Victor as he started to pull down the photographs. Some were clear and others were slightly grainy and some even looked like they had been video grabs from the prisons' cameras. He shoved his handful of photos' into the canvass bag.

"Hey Mac." LiAnne called. "Come and get a shot of this." She was holding up a picture of both Victor and Mac that had been taken in the prison yard. Walker had used a red felt pen and drawn a circle with a line through it around Mac's head.

Mac focused the camera in on the picture and then commented dryly, "Well, I guess we know what he 'really' thought of me. " Every photo that contained Mac had the same markings over his head and face.

"Guess so." Agreed LiAnne as she dropped another stack of pictures into the bag.

LiAnne went over to where Walker's bed was. She examined the devotional that he had erected to Victor's image on the wall above the head of his bed and to the right, on the wall that was next to his bed. She leaned in and looked a little closer at the 8 x 10's then, and blushing, she cleared her throat and called Victor over.

"Ah... Vic. I think you should handle the 'shrine'." LiAnne walked away and began tearing down the pictures where Victor had been working.

Victor stood and stared at the wall space that Walker had devoted to his nude image. Walker had the photo's arranged in just such a way that Victor was reminded of his sister's walls and the space she had dedicated to her teen beat 'pin-up boys'. The guard had done much the same thing with him, except that the posters Alice had put up weren't of naked men.

Walker had somehow managed to take pictures of him while he was showering, changing and even some of him sleeping. There were some photos' of him taken when he was sleeping where he had on underwear. It seemed that Walker was just as fond as those shots as any other.

Mac went to Victor and said from behind him, "God. You look just like a Calvin Klein underwear model." He was staring at one particular image, taken as Victor slept. In it, his blanket thrown off and his body was stretched taught with his arms above his head, crossed at the wrists. Mac thought that Victor had never looked more beautiful. His features, softened by slumber, made him look ten years younger.

"Yeah, well..." Victor tore down one of several copies of that particular shot, "I wish I had the money one of those boys make." He walked away and stuffed some more of the embarrassing photos' into the bag.

Mac looked over his shoulder, made sure no one was paying attention to him, and then reached out and quickly tore down another copy of the 'sleeping in underwear' photo. He folded it up and shoved it into jacket pocket.

Lots' of the photo's were on real photographic paper, but most, like the one Mac had just pilfered, were simple scan copies on paper. He shut off the camera and after putting it away, he started searching Walkers drawers, leaving Victor and LiAnne to finish stripping the walls. In Walkers underwear and sock drawer, Mac came across a video in a case marked, 'Vic and Gant.' Knowing he should mention it, but not quite able to make himself, Mac stuck the tape in a large pocket on the inside his jacket. He quickly shut the drawer and went on to the next one. Not daring to say anything about his find.

After about another 40 minutes, the team had completely 'cleaned' out the bachelors' suite. They wore latex gloves, so the local police coming across one of their finger prints was an highly unlikely scenario.

Mac led the way out, followed by Victor, leaving LiAnne to lock up.

###

Back at the agency, the three of them turned over all the papers and photo's they had found along with two diary's. Victor was relieved to see that the Director handed over all of the pictures of him to Dobrinski, whom he knew could be counted on to destroy them and not pass them around for the rest of the agency employees to see.

The agents were dismissed after that. LiAnne walked out ahead of the men and had already disappeared from the deserted halls by the time Victor and Mac got out of the doors themselves.

About half way down the hall, Mac turned to Victor and said, "Oh, I still have one of the video's of the apartment, he pulled out a small blank tape, "I better turn it in."

"You want me to wait?" Asked Victor.

Mac smiled at his lover, "No, why don't you head home? You don't mind if I just hang by myself tonight? I got some stuff I want to do."

Victor looked at Mac surprised. Lately, they had been spending all of their spare time together. Then he smiled, actually, he kind of wanted to be alone too. He had a few mundane chores to do like grocery shopping and cleaning up his place any ways. "No, I don't mind. There's some stuff I want to catch up on too."

He looked left and then right, and when he was sure no one was watching, he planted a quick kiss on Mac's lips. "I'll call you tomorrow afternoon. Ok?"

"Okay. Talk to you then." Mac waited until Victor was out of sight before going back into the office. Luckily the Director and Dobrinski were still looking through the papers. Mac cleared his throat. And the two of them looked up.

"Yes Mac." Said the Director.

"I have a couple of questions for you regarding the investigation."

"Ohhhh, such an astute pupil..." The director cooed, "What are they?"

Mac licked his lips and approached the table. "I want to know what's going to happen to Gant. Is he going to be charged for his part in the scheme?" The look on both Dobrinski's and the Director's face told him that he was not going to like the answer.

The Director said to Dobrinski without looking at him. "Take this stuff upstairs. I'll meet you there in a few minutes." Dobrinski did as he was told and gathered up everything before he left the room.

Once he was gone, The Director said to Mac, "We couldn't find any proof linking Gant to the Judges and the hunting humans racket." She held up her hand to stop Mac from speaking. "I know, I know. You and Victor are right when you say he's dirty, but without the proof, the courts can do nothing. His computer came up empty and there's no paper trail from him to the judges. The four inmates you say were helping him are denying everything. There's just no solid proof Mac."

Mac looked sourly at the Director. "I know he's guilty goddammitt!"

"So do I. But my hands are tied on this. Now excuse me, I have to get to work." She turned around and walked away from Mac without saying goodbye.

###

Once back at his apartment, Mac pulled the video he had found at Walker's place and plugged it into his VCR, whatever he thought would be on it, Mac was not prepared for what he was about to witness.

He sat and with the remote in one hand and the glass of wine in other and started the tape. Mac had no idea how far he would go to bring justice to the man who had served Victor with so much injustice. Victor had told Mac about Gant's vicious depravity. He had heard the stories, and now, Mac would have the graphic images to go with the sad words.

He fast forwarded through the snow until he came to the opening scene showing Victor and Walker alone in the strip search room.

Mac saw Walker shove an exhausted looking Victor down to the floor, then pull his baton and thoroughly beat Victor with it. He winced as every blow struck home, and his heart broke when Victor finally gave an anguished cry declaring that he wasn't hiding anything. Walker pushed Victor around some more and then finally pinned him against the wall.

"Now I can see why Gant would want to examine you himself" Walker had said suggestively.

Victor had answered back that he didn't understand what Walker meant.

And Mac listened intently as the psychotic guard took great pleasure in explaining to Victor, the lewd acts that Gant was going to perform upon his person. Mac swallowed his wine and poured another glass full, barely taking his eyes off of the tube. He watched, rapt, as Gant entered the room and after dismissing Walker, proceeded to carry on with the strip search.

Seeing Victor tethered to the wall in the manner that he was, made Mac angry. And he watched horrified, when, during the search, the CO. cut Victors chest open with a small knife. Gant followed up the physical torture with some thorough mind raping.

Naked, restrained and vulnerable, Mac could clearly see the uncertainly in his partners face, he wished that he could have been there with him in that room to comfort him through spare the humiliation.

Gant had carried on his mind games throughout the search. Watching Gant up to so far had been nauseating for Mac, but he was still unable to pull his eyes away from the tape.

Suddenly, the search over with, events turned quickly and Mac sat completely stunned, and watched the bloody, brutal rape of his lover. Gant's brutality had no bounds and Victor's screams only amplified that fact.

And then afterwards, Gant's cold and indifference attitude toward the man he had violated.

It was at that point that Mac finally turned off the t.v. He covered his mouth with his hand as his whole body shook with fear and with anger. From the beginning to end, Gant and Walker had succeeded in dehumanizing Victor in that cold, sterile room. Mac was too enraged to even shed a tear for his lover. All he could think of was how he was going to pay Gant back for the acts of savagery he had perpetrated against the helpless Victor.

Mac sat in his dark apartment, and soon after, the rage was replaced with an incredibly heavy sadness. And it was at that moment, that Mac finally understood Victor's behavior inside and outside of Kensington. Now, he could truly fathom why during all of their love making sessions, Victor had never once allowed Mac to have intercourse with him. They had done other things, lots' of times and Victor had even made love to Mac on several occasions. But Mac had never been permitted to make love to Victor back in the same manner. Mac didn't it mind too much, the other stuff they did to each other more than made up for it.

Now however, Mac could finally see the full scope of just how hard it was for Victor to have put himself 'out there' by trying to cozy up to that loon Walker in order to obtain the information they needed. Mac knew that Victor personally found Walker absolutely repugnant.

To be able to do what he had done to get inside Gant's office, took guts, and plenty of them. That night Mac went to bed with a plan to pay Gant back in Victor's name. He finally fell asleep, with thoughts of Victor, and a new found respect for just how strong he really was.

###

Mac stood outside in the fresh air on Victor's balcony. He stared down at the passing traffic, listening as the odd horn honk would waft slowly up to his ears. Mac looked over his shoulder at Victor, who was now curled up on his side with his back facing toward him.

Mac watched Victor's side slowly rise and fall in a steady rhythm. He smiled at his lover, whose sleep was still and unencumbered, or so it seemed.

Turning away, back to the view of the city, Mac recalled how only few days ago he had set it up so that Gant would pay for not only his trespasses against Victor, but also for all the other young men who had died because Gant had sold them to the crazy judges...

###

The following morning, after spending a restless night with dreams of a screaming and in pain Victor Mac rose from bed with a plausible, fully hatched plan. He started in right away on implementing it. First he went to his bank and withdrew $4000.00 cash, all in 20's.

Then he spent the rest of the morning driving up to Kensington penitentiary. Mac knew that Gant did not work on weekends, so he was not too worried about being seen by the guard. He signed in the visitors' log as Big Eddies cousin 'Lee-Roy Mathis'.

Big Eddie did have a cousin named Lee-Roy, Mac was careful to have his facts straight. However, the people at Kensington did not know what the man really looked like.

###

Big Eddie appeared in the common visitors room and sat down at a table and waiting for the cousin he hadn't seen in years to show up.

Mac approached and quickly slid into the seat across from the felon. The large convict groaned and attempted to stand up.

But Mac stopped him. "Listen." He said, his eyes flicking over some fresh scars on the convict's face. They were left by Victor after Big Eddie had very nearly killed his young friend Matt.

Eddie made a great show of sighing heavily before sitting back down. As if having a visitor was bothersome to him. But the truth was that Eddie hadn't had a visitor in over six months and he was curious as to why Mac Jones would come to see him.

He had heard the rumors, that both Smith and Jones were cops, which would explain their midnight disappearance. He looked at Mac, trying effect both boredom and indifference. "I though you were a cop." He finally said.

"No. Im not a cop." Mac replied truthfully.

"How come your and your pod mate—Victor..." Eddie said the name Victor with venom, "...disappeared then?"

"We were transferred to the holding pens at the court house for a re-trial. Then as luck would have it, the judge threw the case out at the last minute on the count of the real stick up men were caught. We were actually innocent... that time." Mac could charm a snake out of its skin when he wanted to.

Eddie, who had never been accused of being a genius, bought Mac's unlikely story. He smiled, then frowned and said suspiciously, "How come you came to see me? Your 'friend' ambushed me over that bitch Vandenberg." Eddie suddenly stood up to leave, distrustful again.

Mac stopped him from going by saying, "Hey that's all water under the bridge. Right?"

The large convict was still standing, he was unsure of what to do. So Mac made the decision for him.

"I don't want to talk about those two anyway. I'm here to offer you a job. " He said in a half whisper. When he still saw indecision on Eddie's ugly mug, Mac added in hastily, "It pays well."

Eddie sighed heavily again and then sat down. "How much and what's the job?" He asked.

Mac smiled. Somehow he just knew that money would win out over pride and a bruised ego. He leaned forward and said quietly to Eddie, who also had leaned forward, "$3000.00 to mess Gant up. Real good." He sat up straight.

Big Eddie grinned evilly, he liked the idea of taking on a hack. Especially Gant, whom he had no love for. "Five thousand, and he's got two broken legs and arms."

Mac shuddered inwardly at the diabolical smile Eddie had. The convict might not have been a genius, but he was no moron either; when it came to business that was. Mac reached inside his coat and pulled out a hardcover book. The title read, 'How to get rich quick. The 10 best money making schemes.'

The book had passed through a metal detector, a drug sniffing dog and a dog whose speciality was explosives. As far as the prison was concerned the book was a clean item, therefore, Mac had permission to give it to Big Eddie. He pushed the book across the table to the convict and said quietly, "I'll give you a 'gee' per limb."

"Okay." Eddie agreed. "Four grand and he's out of commission for the next six months. What's this?" he asked, picking up the book and looking it over.

"It has your fee enclosed. Take it to your cell and read between the lines." Mac said softly. Earlier he had carefully spread out the money and then glued the first blank page down to conceal the cash. He had hid two thousand on the front inside cover and then two thousand on the back inside cover. It was a simple trick, one he had learned as a teenager. A little bit of cutting, some good glue, and no one was the wiser.

Eddie stood up to go, but before he could, Mac stopped him and warned, "I can count on you to do the job, right? I wouldn't want to spread it around that your word is no good. I may not be in the can right now, but I know a lot of guys who are." The lie was very believable.

Big Eddie actually looked hurt. "It'll get done. I said it would and I always honor my contracts." He waved the book, then walked away without looking back. Beaten by the man's criminal partner or not, Eddie had been hired and paid to do a job. And he would fulfill his obligations. He may be a woman beater and a murderer, but he could be counted on to keep his word.

###

Three days later, Mac was drinking his morning coffee and flipping through his daily paper, looking for word of Eddie's handy work. And on page six, Mac saw what he had been watching for. There was a brief 3 inch column story underneath a small head line that read, 'Guard attacked while on duty.'

Mac quickly scanned the story, seeking out the key words and the main points. When he read the part about the 'assailant or assailants' not being found, he took another drink of coffee and silently thanked Big Eddie.

He knew the crime couldn't be linked to him, he had signed a false name in the register, and he had even gone so far as to have worn a special lotion on his face. A lotion, invented by Dr. Frye that was invisible to the naked eye, but on video, his facial features would show up blurry on all of the surveillance cameras and any photo's that might have been taken.

Earlier in the year, Dr. Frye had had the agents test it for him, and Mac, true to form, stole a small bottle of the stuff just because he thought it just might come in handy someday.

The agent grinned to himself, there was no tangible proof that Mac was ever at Kensington visiting the convict. Mac thought to himself how on some days, how much he loved his job.

He drained the last of his coffee and put the cup in the kitchen sink, Mac had no guilty feelings about he had done, whatsoever. Gant got what was coming to him. In fact, the guard was lucky Mac hadn't paid Eddie to kill him, something he knew Eddie would have done if the price were right. He left his kitchen and went into the living room. Pulling a key from the pocket of his robe, he unlocked a small cabinet door on his wall unit.

The video of Victor and the rape had been safely stashed away inside a small safe, which was in turn hidden in the cabinet. Mac pulled the tape out and locked the cabinet up. He lifted the flap and grabbed the shiny black ribbon, pulling on it until all of it had been removed from its plastic casing. Then he gathered up the tape and threw it along and the cartridge into his garbage.

Pleased that Victor would never have to know that such a filthy document even existed. Mac was doubly more pleased that Gant had not gotten away with his crimes.

###

Later that night Mac gone over to Victor's apartment armed with a bottle of excellent white wine and a good mood. He pointed out the story to his lover, who, as expected, hand no sympathy what so ever for Gant.

"Too bad they didn't finish the job." Victor commented as he drained his wine away. "Come on." He said to Mac. "Lets got to bed." He stood up and pulled Mac by the hand to his bedroom.

After the usual fore-play, Victor had shyly asked Mac to make love to him. The request came as a complete, yet welcomed surprise.

Mac wanted to make this first, real experience for Victor a memorable one, one that he'd remember because it had been so good.

So Mac took his sweet time, working his lover slowly into sexual crescendo that ended with Victor arching his back in complete pleasure and crying out Mac's name.

Afterwards, both men had lain still amongst the feather duvet and cuddled, their arms wrapped tightly around each other.

###

Later that evening, the two of them lay on opposite ends of the love seat with their legs entwined around each other. Every time one or the other got up, he did not to walk by without first giving each other long, lingering tongue touching kisses.

"Mmmm, I feel soooo good." Victor declared after one such kiss. For him life couldn't be better, Matt was free from Kensington, The judges had created their own punishment and Gant's penalty had been served up by a disgruntled felon.

The lovemaking had been positively perfect, Victor couldn't remember there ever being a time without Mac near his side. He waited until his lover had laid back down, after using the washroom, and said mischievously, "Mmm, I'm hungry. Good sex does that to me. Want some popcorn?" Victor was sure to make a show of rubbing his stomach, as if to prove his hunger. Knowing full well that his lover didn't care for Clint Eastwood movies, Victor was sure that he would not have to leave the couch.

"Don't get up. I'll make it." Mac got up as quickly as he could, and fled to the kitchen...

Several minutes later, before Victor knew it, his eyes grew heavy and then closed all together...

###

Finally, Mac drained the rest of his beer and then came in from the cold. Walking over to his still sleeping lover, Mac grabbed Victor's shoulder and shook it. "Come on Vic. Let's go back to bed."

Victor rolled over slowly and opened his eyes, "Is the movie over?"

"Dirty Harry is done. The story is finished." Mac put his arm around Victors shoulders and led him to the bedroom.

THE END

###

pansy64@hotmail.com

This is the latest serial effort on my part and based upon the characters Victor Mansfield and Mac Ramsey of 'John Woo's, Once a Thief' fame. The continuing story takes place in a fictional Canadian Prison, and the content of the following chapters is very dark and gritty. This serial contains graphic descriptions of non-consensual sexual as well as consensual sexual situations between two men. This series was inspired by the heavy duty prison drama: OZ which can be seen on Showcase Friday nights in Canada and on HBO in the U.S.A. This is all slash fiction therefore no one under the age of 18 should be reading this stuff. No infringement on any copyrights held is intended. No profit was made off of the following bodies of work, which was written solely for entertainment purposes only. Thanks to Sickleweed for beta-reading parts 1-8. Any and all errors made in the chapters following, starting with part 9, are purely my own...

DEMI-X

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]