RATales Archive

XxRatboyxX

by Laura Doyle


From: krycek_Luver@esweeet.com
Date: Sat Sep 9, 2000 10:19 am
Subject: XxRatboyxX - Alex (1/?)
Category: Krycek Angst and Vignette.
Spoilers: None that i'm aware of.
Summary: Krycek thinks of his life.
Archive: RATales, anywhere else ask me first.
Disclaimer: This story is based on characetrs created by Chris Carter, Ten Thirteen productions and Fox broadcasting, they're used without permission and no copyright infringement is intended.
Authors note: There is no truth in this fanfic that i'm aware of. This story is set somewhere during season 5.
Rated: PG


Part One: Alex

The rain pounded on top of the car, the sound it made echoed around Alex's ears, he couldn't stand it, he needed to think, but the only way he could think was if he was out of the car, out of the smoke filled Mondeo. As he stepped out into the pollution filled, wet air he saw them, the two that had made his job so intersting, the ones who he hated but admired for the determination which they put into their work. Alex thought of hiding but he knew that they couldn't see him, he was too far away for them to spot and the trees would obscure their view. Did he care if they did spot him? No he didn't. Alex had power over the agents and he knew it. He zipped up his leather jacket, pulled up his collar and walked into the rainy darkness. His black boots splashed on the wet tarmac and he began to think of his life so far. What was it that he had actually done with his life? He killed people, all his family were gone and now the project had asked him to keep a close eye on the only people who he respected. Sure Mulder could be a naive son of a bitch at times but at least he was trying to stop what was happening. That's what Alex wanted the most, he wanted everything to go back to the way it was before he joined the project. Alex knew that he couldn't just leave the project and go back to living his life, he knew too many secrets.

Over a week ago Alex was told to fit bugs and cameras into the agents office and apartments. He still hadn't done it, he was putting it off. He was sick of being ordered around by a bunch of son of a bitches who had nothing better to do then sit in their office thinking they were saving the world, when all they were really doing was damning every single human being on Earth. Alex knew that he had to do it eventually otherwise he would be killed.

As he walked past the school, he saw a girl at the window, watching the rain fall. Alex stopped and smiled at her, she didn't smile back, she didn't even notice he was there, she was too lost in her own imagination, her dreams of princesses and castles. Seeing her made Alex think of Tess, his daughter. She was taken away from him when she was just six years old. She had to go it was part of his job.

"If you want to work for us then you have to allow us to use your daughter for testing. She will not be hurt in any way, however if you break your loyalty to us, well..."

That's what Alex had been told after he signed all the forms. If he had been told this earlier he would have never agreed to it. He began to walk again but he was still thinking of Tess. She'd be eleven now. Her birthday was on Independence Day, every year they would sit on top of the hill behind their home and watch the fireworks rise from the city park. The next morning Alex would walk up to the cemetery alone and put fresh flowers on Robyn's grave. He often wondered what would have been if Robyn hadn't died whilst giving birth to their daughter, they would be a family and he wouldn't have to be doing the job that he does.

Alex began to head back towards his car. The rain had stopped, the clouds had parted and the sun had come out to dry up the puddles that remained on the ground.

Over a year ago, Cancer man had promised to reunite Alex with his daughter.

"When your work is finished." He had said. But when was their work going to be finished? That's what he wanted to know. As far as he could tell they'd be "protecting" the world from the truth until they died.

Alex had no idea where Tess was or if she was safe. For all he knew she was dead, he prayed to God everyday that this wasn't true but the thought was always on his mind.

Alex reached his car, opened the door and sat inside, as he did he remembered the screams of his daughter as she was taken away by strangers. Alex closed his eyes against the memory and began to cry.

***

Part Two: Tess

Summary: Basically this is about Tess and what her life is like without her father.

The sad reflection stared back at her, those dark, green eyes full of sadness and self- pity. She picked up her blue, plastic hair brush and began to groom her black, soft bobbed hair. Tess stood up in her stone wash jeans and navy T-shirt, walked down the stairs of her home and into the kitchen where she found her father making coffee and toast.

"Good morning, Tess." Her father said to her as he stared at her with those blue eyes which seemed to have no feeling behind them whatsoever.

"Morning." She replied in her quiet voice.

Tess walked over to the small wooden table and sat down in one of the chairs. Laid out for her was some toast which had obviously spent too much tome in the toaster and some freshly squeezed orange juice. Tess picked up the juice and took a sip. She grimaced when she felt the pulp swirling around her mouth, she swallowed the liquid, hard. Tess hated juice with pulp in it, she hated the feel of it in her mouth. She decided to tell her father that she wasn't hungry, then when he wasn't looking, she would sneak out a chocolate bar and eat that instead.

Tess' father sat opposite her and began to eat his breakfast, while he took a drink of his coffee he stared at her and after he set the cup back down on the table he said,

"Tess, it's time again."

Tess had been dreading those words ever since she woke up that morning, she had decided not to think of it and hoped that her father had forgotton or maybe she had got her days mixed up.

"I know." She replied bowing her head.

"Well go and finish getting ready, we'll have to go in about ten minutes."

"Ok."

With that Tess got up off her seat and walked upstairs to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She decide not to have the chocolate bar after all, she felt too nervous and she knew she would be sick if she ate anything. The thought of more tests made Tess angry and sad. Why did those men and her father like to hurt her? What had she done to deserve this? Her father once told her that the things done to her would help save the world. Tess didn't know what he meant by that and she didn't ask. She just wanted the tests to stop, she had scars all over her from where they had injected her with things and put implants into her body, she wanted it all to end.

***

The lights shone in her eyes so brightly that it made tears roll down her cheeks, she tried desperately to close her eyes, to stop the light from hurting her, but she couldn't. Her eyes were being held open and she couldn't close them, no matter how hard she tried. She heard footsteps to her right, Tess moved her eyes to try and see whom it was, she realised that the dark figure beside her was infact her father, she would never forgive him for this. It was then that she felt it, the sting as the needle punctured her skin. Tess inhaled sharply.

The drowsiness came over her slowly at first then took her. Everything went black and all the anger and sadness was taken from her, she could remember nothing. Tess allowed sleep to rule her body while she dreamed of him. The man who only came to her in her dreams. He would encase her in his big strong arms and make her feel safe as if nothing could ever hurt her. In her dreams when she was with him, all her thoughts of experiments and tests were gone and replaced with thoughts of happiness and family.

He held her tightly and wouldn't let her go.

"Everything will be ok, Tess. You will see. One day we will be together again and nothing will break us apart, not ever." He whispered in her ear.

Tess smiled at the thought and looked up at him so she could see his face. His deep eyes smiled back at her with love.

"I love you Tess." He said.

With that the man began to disappear just like all the times before. She felt as if she was being pulled away from him. Tess didn't know who the man in her dreams was but she knew that he made her feel safe and happy.

Tess' eyes snapped open and she realised that she was lying in her bed at home. She rolled onto her side. Her muscles felt sore and tired because of the tests. A tear rolled down the little girls cheek as she tried desperately to remember the man in her dreams.

End