RATales Archive

Words On A Wire
Raining In Baltimore

by Rocnrods


This is songfic. . .so reader beware if that isnt your cup o' tea

This is part of a series of vignettes based on Counting Crows songs which chronicles a relationship between Alex Krycek and Dana Scully that occured before her abduction.

Words on a wire: Raining in Baltimore
Spoilers: Ascension and Duane Barry
Disclaimers: They are CC's they aint mine.
2nd Disclaimer: a majority of this was taken from the song "Raining in Baltimore" words by Adam Duritz. He isn't mine either


It's raining in Baltimore. I saw you once in the rain, caught without your umbrella running to your car, red hair plastered to your face. You were with Mulder and he said something that made you laugh and you threw your head back and the rain poured down your face. I saw you open your mouth to taste the grim steel rain of Washington, but you smiled and drank it like it was a sweet spring.

I am sitting in this parking lot waiting for a phone call. I need a phone call to tell me this isn't going to happen. That this nightmare isn't going to progress, but there is nothing. I have been waiting for hours and I know you are already gone. I didn't know how this was going end when I started.

I swear that much to you. I didn't know this would happen to you.

I miss you, I guess that I should.

I need a phone call. I need a big love. I need that night in our cheap motel back and a need a thousand more like it.

I want to get out and walk in the rain and imagine that I will come upon you. That I will find you and your wet red hair sitting watching the trains go by. They are passing me now and you're not here. You won't be here again.

I need a raincoat. Funny a few weeks ago trenchcoats were part of my life but I have abandoned those like I abandoned everything else. I abandoned you.

It's raining in Baltimore and fifty miles east where you should be there is no one around.

I need a phone call.

I clutch the cell like a life line it is my only hope and I know the damn thing won't ring.

It's too late.

I need a phone call.

I need a plane ride.

I need a sunburn.

It's raining. I need a raincoat

I need you, but you're gone.

There are things I remember and things I forget.

I remember your laugh and the taste of your skin and I forget why I let this happen. What was so important to me, to them, that I would do this to you?

I wish it were a small world Dana Scully, because I am lonely for you.

I get no answers and nothing changes.

It's raining in Baltimore and everything else is the same.

You're gone.

What would I change if I could?

I need a phone call.

I get out of the car and lean against the door feeling the rain run down my face.

I need a rain coat.

I need you.

But you're gone.

End