RATales Archive

Trust Me

by Marijke


Title: Trust Me
Author: Marijke
Feedback: all comments welcome at marijke.post@xs4all.nl
Rating: PG (at least, that's what I think)
Disclaimer: all X-files characters belong to Chris Carter, Fox and 1013 Production, none of them are mine (exept the ones I thought up)
Summary: Krycek faces murder charges and it's up to Mulder and Scully to find out if he tells the truth
Authors note: specials thanks to my brother, who read the story for me (because his English it a little better than mine) and thanks to my best friend, who also read the story and told me she liked it (even though she doesn't even like X-files)


Like the sun through the trees, you came to love me
Like a leaf on a breeze, you blew away

A gentle rain fall softly on my weary eyes
As if to hide a lonely tear
My live will be forever autumn
'Cause you're not here

Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn

It was a warm summer evening, but still Alex Krcyek wore his leather jacket. He looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was following him and quickly crossed the field. He could see Jeryline's house in the distance, the light where already burning.

Jeryline was his girlfriend. They'd been seeing each other for three months now and for the first time in so many years Krycek felt like a happy man. And he knew Jeryline was happy, too. And she loved him, just like he loved her. Of course, she had absolutely no idea what he did for a living. Or better, what he had to do to stay alive. But she didn't care, they never talked about work. And most of what Krycek told her about himself wasn't really the truth, but is wasn't a lie either. He came to see her two or three times a week, making sure nobody else knew where he was or with who.

He was just about to open the garden fence when he heard gunshots coming from the house. He jumped over the fence and ran to the frontdoor, finding it open. He ran into the house, looking everywhere for Jeryline and found her lying on the kitchen floor. Although there was a fair amount of blood on the floor he still checked for a pulse, but found none.

He sat down on the floor next to Jeryline and gently pulled her head on his lap and held her tight against him. That was when he spotted the gun lying on the floor. He reached out his hand, but didn't touch the gun. He narrowed his eyes when he recognized the gun. His gun! He felt in the inside pocket of his leather jacket and only then found out his gun wasn't there.

The kitchen door flung open and the sheriff came in with drawn gun, followed by his deputy.

"Put your hands in the air," the sheriff commanded Krycek.

"I didn't kill her," he said, as he slowly put his hands up.

"Of course you didn't," the deputy said.

The sheriff grabbed Krycek by his jacket collar. "Get up," he said, pulled Krycek up straight and pushed him to the counter. "Put your hands on the work top, where I can see them."

Krycek put his hands down and spread his legs and the sheriff frisked him.

The deputy got his notebook and a pen out of his jacket. "State your name."

"Alex Krycek."

"Where do you live."

"I have a room in the hotel down the road."

"And where do you live normally," the sheriff asked.

"I have no permanent address," Krycek answered.

"We'll find the rest out later," the sheriff told his deputy and he got his handcuffs out of his belt.

Krycek felt so numb, that he didn't even care that he was being arrested for a murder he didn't commited. He put his hands behind his back and the sheriff handcuffed him.

The deputy had put the gun in a plastic bag.

"Let's go," the sheriff said and pushed Krycek outside to the patrolcar.

***

"He, Maurice," the sheriff called. "Janet just called that Burt and Jackson are fighting again. Would you go check it out, please."

"Okay," the deputy said and left the police station.

It was a small police station and had only one cell, which was now being occupied by Krycek.

The sheriff sat down at his desk at the other side of the station and started to fill out some forms.

After a while he looked up from his papers and looked at Krycek. He sat on the bed, back against the wall, knees pulled up to his chest and his arms resting on his knees.

The sheriff stood up and slowly walked to the cell.

"You know you have the right to one phonecall," the sheriff said.

"Why won't you use that right."

"Who should I call," Krycek asked.

"I don't know," the sheriff answered. "Surely you have someone who'd you wanna call."

"I have no one," Krycek sighed. "Not anymore."

"What about your boss," the sheriff suggested.

This made Krycek laugh out loud. "Him? Hah, he'd be happy to be rid of me."

"Friends then. Family. Collegues."

"I can only think of one person who might be able to help me."

"Well. Call him then," the sheriff said.

"He'd probably hang up the second he hears my voice," Krycek said.

"He's not a friend," the sheriff asked.

"Friend? No. He'd rather kill me than help me out of this mess."

"Then let me call him for you," the sheriff offered.

"Why would you do that for me," Krycek asked in surprise.

"I'd like to believe that you really didn't kill Jeryline," the sheriff answered. "If you had killed her, I doubt that you'd stay around for the police to find you sitting next to the body and the murder weapon on the ground. Besides, you were holding her against you as if to comfort her."

Krycek looked away from him and stared at the wall. "I can't remember the last time I've been happy, before I met Jeryline."

"So. Who'd you want me to call for you," the sheriff asked.

Krycek took a deep sigh and faced the sheriff again. "A FBI Agent, Fox Mulder. I can give you his cell phone number. But don't tell him you're calling for me, just ask him to come here. With Scully."

"Scully," the sheriff asked.

"Mulder's partner. She can do the autopsy."

"I'll call him right away," the sheriff said.

"Thank you."

***

"Can't you tell me who wants to talk to me," Fox Mulder asked the sheriff.

"No, I'm sorry. He asked me to call you, but not tell you his name," the sheriff answered. "It's important."

"Okay then. I'll call Scully and we'll get there as soon as we can."

Two and a half hours later, Mulder opened the door of the police station and walked inside. This had to be the smallest police station he'd ever seen. There was only one cell! The person lying on the bed looked vaguely familiar. He walked a few steps closer and recognized him. Alex Krycek! He could hardly believe it, Krycek behind bars. Krycek heard footstep and turned his head to see who came in. There stood Mulder, with a surprised look on his face. He got up from the bed and strolled to the bars.

The sheriff had also heard somebody came in. He looked up from his paperwork and saw a man looking surprised at the prisoner. And Krycek stared back at the man, with a dark, cold look in his eyes. The sheriff walked to the man.

"You must be agent Mulder," the sheriff said and shook Mulder's hand.

"I must congratulate you, sheriff. You've succeeded in doing something very special."

"What's that," the sheriff asked.

"Arresting Alex Krycek," Mulder said. "So, who'd he kill this time."

"I did not kill her," Krycek immediately said and both the sheriff and Mulder looked at him.

"What happened," Mulder asked the sheriff, but still looking at Krycek.

"We got a call from Jeryline's neighbours, that there was a mysterious man walking around the house. When we got there we heard gunshots and when we entered the house he was sitting on the ground next to the body. And there was a gun lying on the floor next to him."

"What happened," Mulder now asked Krycek.

Krycek cleched both his fists around a bar and rested his forehead against the bars. He closed his eyes before answering Mulder.

"I was outside, trying to open the fence when I heard the gunshots," he said.

"And then you entered the house," Mulder asked.

"Yes, I did."

"You didn't see or hear anybody leaving the house through another door?"

"No. He could have gotten out through the kitchen door when I was in the livingroom," Krycek said. "At least I didn't see anybody."

"How did you get in the house so fast, since you couldn't get the fence open."

"I jump over it and ran to the house."

"The front door was open," Mulder asked.

"Yes, it was. Jeryline never locked the door when she knew I was coming," Krycek answered and he opened his eyes again to look at Mulder.

"Was it his gun," Mulder asked the sheriff.

"We don't know that yet," the sheriff said. "We haven't..."

"It was," Krycek interrupted him. He looked at Mulder again. "When I saw it lying on the floor, only then I found it wasn't in my pocket anymore."

There was a knock on the door and Scully came walking in. First, she just stood there, holding the door open with one hand, staring at Krycek. This was too good to be true. Krycek behind bars?

The sheriff greeted her and, in short, told her about the same as he had told Mulder.

Mulder walked away from Krycek to talk to Scully.

"What happened," Scully asked.

"Krycek didn't do it," Mulder asked. "Or at least, that what he says."

"You don't believe him?"

"Would you believe it, if Alex Krycek told you he didn't kill that girl," Mulder asked her.

"Well, I don't know. If I knew all the facts about the murder, only then could I give you an answer to that question."

"Fact is," Mulder stated," that the sheriff arrested Krycek in the victim's house, kneeling next to the body and the murderweapon on the ground."

"I want you to do the autopsy," Krycek suddenly said, looking at Scully.

"Why," she asked.

"Because I think, that whoever killed Jeryline placed my gun there on the ground to frame me."

"Then why do you want an autopsy," Mulder asked him.

"To see if the bullets Jeryline was killed with, match the ones in my gun," Krycek answered.

"Well, I'm afraid that won't be a possibility," the sheriff said.

"What do you mean," Scully asked him.

"Because Jeryline's family just reported to me that they don't want any one messing around with her body."

Krycek closed his eyes again and leaned his head against the bars. "I don't believe this. I don't fucking believe this," he whispered. Mulder, Scully and the sheriff just stood there, looking at Krycek for a moment. Then the telephone ran and the sheriff walked away.

"I wanna be at the funeral," Krycek said.

"I don't think that's such a good idea," Scully said.

"No, you don't understand. I have to be there." He turned to face the wall. "I have to give her something back.

"What do you mean," Scully asked.

Krycek looked at them again and pulled something from underneath his shirt. "This."

Mulder and Scully took a closer look and saw it was a small locket with Jeryline's name engraved in it. When he opened it they saw a small picture of Jeryline and one of Krycek.

"Please, I have to go," he said. "I promise I won't try to escape. Please Mulder. You have to trust me."

Scully pulled Mulder away from the cell to talk to him.

"Mulder, he looks sincere. We have to trust him," she said.

"Trust Krycek?" Mulder laughs. "I trust him about as far as I can throw him."

"Mulder. Can't you see the look in his eyes."

"What look," Mulder said. "His let-me-out-of-here-and-I-kill-you look."

"He just wants to see her one last time," Scully said, ignoring Mulder comment. "We have to do this for him.

"Fine," Mulder said and then a bit louder so Krycek could hear him, "but if he tries anything I'll shoot him."

***

It was the day of Jeryline's funeral. Mulder parked his car in front of the church and helped a handcuffed Krycek out of the car. Krycek walked into the church, followed by Mulder and Scully, who both kept their eyes on him. Krycek ignored the staring people and walked directly to the coffin. He just stood there for a moment, just looking at Jeryline's beautiful face. Even though she was dead, she still looked beautiful, just paler than normal.

He reached inside his pocket a took the locket out. He bent over the coffin and kissed Jeryline on the forehead, then he laid the locket over her hands, which lay folded on her chest. He turned and looked around, looking for Jeryline's family. He saw them sitting on the front bench, her mother looked at him with big eyes, a scared look on her face and then started crying again. Suddenly he got the urge to walk over to her, comfort her, tell her he was sorry, but that he didn't kill her daughter. But he couldn't. And he couldn't look at her any longer. He looked away and saw Mulder and Scully standing near the other front seat, waiting for him. He walked over to them and sat down, as did Mulder and Scully each on one side of Krycek.

Krycek kept on staring at the coffin, he did not once take his eyes off of it. Scully looked at his face and saw he could barely keep his emotions from showing on his face.

But all of a sudden, he turned his head around. Mulder looked at Scully, who was looking rather surprised, since he hadn't taken his eyes off of the coffin. She wanted to ask what was wrong and looked in the same direction. There, in the church entrance, was a man, just standing there.

"I've seen him before," Krycek said, more to himself, than to Mulder and Scully.

"Where," Mulder asked.

Krycek closed his eyes to think. "On the fair. Jeryline and I where on a fair and I saw him looking at us, I saw a few times, like he was following us."

Then, through a side entrance, several armed men entered the church. Mulder and Scully both want to draw their guns, but the men immediately aim their weapons on them.

"We'll take those," the men, who walked from the back of the church to where Mulder, Scully and Krycek were sitting, said. "And we'll take him as well," he said, pointing at Krcyek.

"No," was all that Mulder said, while handing his gun to one of the men. One of the men grabbed Krycek by the shoulder and pulled him to his feet. "There's someone who wants to talk to you," he said. "I will not go with you," Krycek answered.

"You either come with us," the man Krycek had seen before, said, "or we will kill everybody who's in this church."

"You wouldn't dare," Krycek said.

"Try me," said the man and aimed his weapon at Jeryline's mother.

"No," Krycek yelled and stepped in front of him. "Don't shoot her, I'll go with you."

"Good," the man said and lowered his weapon. "Take him," he then said to one of the other men. The man grabbed his arm and pulled him with him.

"Wait," Krycek said and pulled his arm out of the man's firm grasp. "I want to know you it was that killed Jeryline."

"Do you really want to know," the man asked.

"Yes."

"I did."

"You bastard," Krycek yelled and tried to grab him by the throat, but was held back by three men. "How did you get my gun. Tell me! How did you get it!! How!!!," he yelled, still struggling with the three men.

"Don't you remember," the man asked, "the other day, when someone bumped into you on the street."

"You're gonna pay for it," Krycek hissed. The nodded to the three men holding Krycek and they forced him in the direction of the side entrance. "You're gonna pay for this, you asshole, you hear me," Krycek yelled, looking over his shoulder, while they pushed his out the door.

"You'll pay for it, you'll fucking pay for it!!" And the door was slammed shut.

"All right, ladies and gentlemen," the man said. "Nobody moves, untill we are gone, is that understood." Al he heard was the soft crying from the shocked people in the church. "Good."

He started walking backwards to back of the church, his weapon aimed at Mulder and Scully. Then he went out the door and moments later they heard a van driving away.

"We had him," Mulder said.

Scully put her hand on his shoulder. "We'll get him again," she said. "At least now we know, that Krycek really didn't kill that girl."

"Maybe."

"What do you mean," Scully asked.

"Maybe he didn't kill her," Mulder answered. "Or maybe he did, and this was his escape plan. But we'll never know for sure."

***

It was five weeks later. Mulder was sitting behind his desk in his basement office. The door opened and he looked up to see who it was. It was Scully, holding up a letter.

"What's that," he asked. "A letter, from the sheriff," Scully answered.

"What does it say, he arrested Krycek again."

"No, I'm afraid not. What it does say, is that Jeryline wasn't killed with the gun they found on the crime-scene."

"How did they found out."

"Well, after what happened in the church, the sheriff did order an autopsy. They recovered a bullet from Jeryline's body and matched it with one from Krycek's gun," Scully said.

"And," Mulder asked.

"They didn't match. So, I guess that man did tell the truth, when he said he had killed her."

"Then he must have placed Krycek's gun there, to make it look like he'd killed her," Mulder concluded.

"Yes," Scully agreed. "That means, Krycek didn't kill her after all...