RATales Archive

Treatment

by Amazon X


Title: Treatment
Author: Amazon X
E-mail: yankeestarbuck@yahoo.com
Website: http://yankeestarbuck.com
Feedback: Why, yes, thank you!
Category: Hurt/Comfort slash
Rating: NC-17
Summary: What's wrong with Krycek these days?
Archive: I'll archive it myself.
Disclaimer: Not mine, never were, I have no money.
Notes: Vesta got some bad news. And the bad news needs to be offset by good-fic. Well, it's me writing so this passable stuff will have to do. I know I took a terrible-long time to do this, but I'm doing it! Here you go, Vesta, hope you're doing well! Thank you to L3 for amazing beta. If there's any other mistakes, they're all mine! Vesta, I love ya, babe.
More Notes: Oh, the line about smelling like a homeless person: do not give me grief about this. I spent a week in a hospital once, and they didn't give me anything to wash with, so I didn't wash. I was in too much pain to wash, anyway. But when I got home, I sat on my bed and took a whiff of myself and asked why no one told me I smelled like a homeless person! Actually, I screamed it.


J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
5TH FLOOR CORNER OFFICE

Fox Mulder paced while the other three agents sat and watched. Walter Skinner spoke calmly to the attorney general, trying to get him to understand the immediacy of the need. The full pardon could not wait until the morning, or the information would be lost forever.

"Sir, if you trust me at all, you must do so now, and allow me to make this binding offer. The witness in this case will not offer the information unless he is assured to go free." There was silence while he listened.

"Yes, sir, I know that. This isn't something I want you to rush into. I do want you to be aware that this is an informant with information that I am confident will lead to the apprehension of..." More silence that grated on the group's collective nerve. "Yes, sir, thank you!"

Walter hung up the phone and turned to his expectant group. "The attorney general has authorized me to make any deal I deem necessary to procure information on the Consortium, to once and for all find out the plans of the Colonists and avert the destruction of our race. Now, all we have to do is wait for Krycek to call back."

There was the wild card. Waiting for the reincarnated rat to call back, after leaving his cryptic message on Walter's voice mail, "A full pardon, and all questions will be answered." He called back, and elaborated, saying that there was a ship arriving in Dundalk in Baltimore, a ship that Dana Scully, John Doggett and Monica Reyes were very familiar with, and he would afford them admittance. Mulder wanted to talk to Alex, angry that whoever it was who was impersonating the dead assassin, it wasn't something Mulder wanted to tolerate. Walter had to explain how the death was faked, how Alex Krycek convinced him that it would be best if he disappeared. Mulder demanded to know what Alex said.

"Mulder, I assure you, Krycek did not dupe me. He's been working off the radar while you've assumed he was dead." Walter remained calm while Mulder paced. Scully just watched, hoping the information on the ship was the same as they'd encountered before, possibly finding her stolen ova.

"Sir, you can't trust a word he says, if that's really him!"

"Mulder, who do you think sent me information to clear yours and Scully's names? I may be the Director of the FBI, but I still cannot change the status of a federal fugitive without concrete evidence. He supplied the evidence that cleared your name, and paved the way for you to return to the bureau to continue your work. He fed me enough information to assist in my promotion to this position. So, you want to continue to tell me that we can't trust him?"

Walter's gaze burned into Mulder's face. If looks could kill, Mulder would be toast. And he knew it. He went back to the chair he'd started off sitting in and relaxed, looking over at Scully. They smiled, knowing the chance they had in the information.

Thinking ahead, Walter had asked his assistant to stay late and research the open warrants on Alex Krycek and all aliases of such. It had taken her the better part of the evening to finish, but local, state and federal warrants were all compiled and combined into a blanket immunity statement, pending disclosure of evidence. Walter signed it, and Arlene being a notary, witnessed it and embossed it. All it needed was Alex's signature and all was completed.

"Great, now we just have to wait for the rat to call," Mulder said. Walter glared at him, but Mulder only looked at Scully.

An interminable amount of time went by, everyone catching the restless bug. Finally, after Doggett and Mulder had collided the third time while simultaneously pacing, the phone sprang to life. It was Alex, just as Walter expected.

"Well, I didn't think you had it in you," was the first thing Alex said.

"How do you...look who I'm asking. Yes, Krycek, I have it. Where is the information..."

"Northern slip, Marine Terminal in Dundalk. One hour, just the five of you. If I smell anyone else, stay off the ship. It'll go."

Walter well knew that Alex meant he'd detonate whatever explosives he'd hidden on the ship. "You have my word. I don't want to risk my agents' lives."

The line went dead. Walter wasn't surprised, knowing Alex was calling from either a payphone or a throwaway cell phone. Walter stood and retrieved his suit coat from his coat rack and slipped his arms in.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's go. I'll lead in my G55."

"Ah yes, the Mercedes Benz SUV," Doggett mused. "I never thought you had it in you, Sir."

"Rank has it's privileges," was all Walter would say on that subject. He led the group down to Dundalk, and almost thought the entire expedition would need to be scrapped when they arrived at a locked gate. Walter was about to call Mulder to ask for ideas when the gate slid open. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Walter rolled through and turned to make his way to the northern-most pier, to the end slip. There sat a cargo ship, in remarkably excellent condition, low lighting and the gang plank was down. The small caravan parked and they amassed by Walter's truck to assess the situation.

"Sir, it's up to you. What should we do?" Walter was surprised to hear Mulder say that. The man usually dove in before making sure the pool had any water. To have him step back and wait for Walter to lead was something for them to take a minute to contemplate. Walter looked over the ship and nodded.

"I'll go on first. Ladies, let Mulder and Doggett follow me. We'll signal you when we're sure it's safe."

Both Scully and Reyes agreed that was the best course of action and waited until all three men had disappeared into the ship. Walter led the way, up the gangplank and in the only open hatch in the bulkhead anywhere in site. The ship was in total darkness, but Walter still maintained enough night vision to see the small crack of light coming from a recessed darkness in the bulkhead. They walked down a passageway, and stopped before a door that had a line of light at the bottom. Walter turned to Mulder and Doggett and said, "I don't think we should call the women until we secure the immediate area."

"I agree," Doggett said. Mulder, of course, held the dissenting opinion.

"You want to deal with Scully after we run this op without her?" was his only question. After a moment, they agreed to send Mulder for Reyes and Scully while Walter and Doggett secured the first room. Walter grabbed the handle and was prepared to put his shoulder into the crack by the frame, but the handle turned easily and the latch gave. Inside looked like a regular medical facility. There was an exam table in the middle, a rolling tray for instruments, a side cabinet with first aid items on top, but to the far right stood two huge, industrial refrigerators with pull-latch handles. Walter walked towards them, but suddenly, the door closed behind him, with Doggett still on the outside. The lock slid home.

Walter spun around to the closed door and saw him standing there, dressed in requisite black leather and denim. Only his face stood out as a pale sphere against the darkened bulkhead. "Where is it?" he asked. His voice was low, rough and tired. He didn't look well, but Walter didn't much care. He wasn't there for Alex's state of mind. He was there to procure information for a major investigation. Walter reached into his coat and saw Alex visibly start, ready to reach for his own weapon. Walter held both hands still, knowing Alex was a faster draw than he was. He slipped his hand into his inner breast pocket and pulled out the sheaf of papers, wrapped in a blue cover sheet. "I have everything here. All I need is your signature, and you're free to be on your way."

Alex reached out and grabbed the agreement, scanning through the pages. Apparently, he was satisfied with what he saw because he nodded and held his hand out for a pen. Skinner reached into his pocket and pulled out the pen that Sharon had given him for his anniversary. His seventh anniversary. It hit him like a brick in the head as he watched Alex's slender, elegant fingers drag the pen across the paper. Sharon preferred the modern gift of desk sets versus the wool or copper of the tradition seventh anniversary gift. He had stayed traditional and bought her a complete copper cookware set. Why this was hitting his head, he didn't know.

Alex handed back the paper and pen and nodded. "The information you want is on two disks in the cabinet. Scully's ova are in the refrigerator. Have a nice life." Alex reached out and unlocked the door just in time for Mulder and Doggett to burst in, followed by Scully and Reyes. They rushed into the room, which was low-lit by recessed fixtures, and Alex faded into the back, slipping out the door as the agents swarmed Walter. He directed Doggett and Mulder to search the cabinet and told Scully where to find the samples of ova.

It took all of ten minutes to find what they needed. Scully tried to keep herself calm, but Walter could see her emotions getting the better of her. He looked at Mulder and Doggett, each holding a disk, and knew something was wrong. "We have to get out of here. This isn't right. Everything was too easy. Too...convenient. Let's go, now."

The agents looked up at Walter and saw the fear in his eyes, something he never let anyone see. Scully and Reyes started towards the door as Walter herded Mulder and Doggett ahead of him. They started out the passageway when Mulder veered off to the right, following a new light. Walter knew his wayward agent would risk his life for one last look in a new place to possibly find more evidence. "John, get the ladies off the boat, I'm going after Mulder," Walter shouted.

Doggett looked back and nodded, hurrying to catch up with the two women who were running at breakneck speed. Walter followed the short passage to another right turn to see Mulder checking Alex's weapon and securing it safely. Alex was laid out on the floor, on his back. "Agent Mulder, what the hell are you doing?"

Turning to Walter, Mulder said, "Sir, I found him like this. If this boat isn't safe...he risked his life, too." Shocked didn't quite cover the feelings swirling inside Walter at that moment. Mulder was making a case to rescue Alex. It was unbelievable. Yet, he was right, and it wasn't fair to leave Alex behind when they would be escaping safely.

"Get one side," Walter said, grabbing for Alex's arm and the waist of his jeans to haul him straight up. The hand grabbing his jeans touched wet fabric and immediately, Walter was disgusted. Did he piss himself? Walter questioned. He looked down at his hand, and even in the low light of the nearly burned out fixture, Walter knew it was blood covering his hand. "Shit, let's get him out of here." Walter didn't allude to the bleeding.

Alex's eyes fluttered open and he focused on Walter. "Leave me."

"Not on your goddam life." Down the gangplank and back to the parking lot where they'd mingled their cars amongst those left by others. It didn't seem as if there was anyone at the entire facility, yet, there were plenty of vehicles in the lot.

Walter propped Alex against the bumper of his truck and wiped the blood from his hand onto his own pant leg. He held Alex's face and truly looked into the dilated pupils, and then he felt the heat coming from Alex's body. There was a stench of sweat, and what Walter could only describe as sickness roiling off him. Mulder walked over and asked, "What the hell is wrong with him?"

"I don't know. Let's get the other three out of here and find out." Mulder held fast to Alex's shoulders while Walter went to the others and told them to get the information back to the Lone Gunmen as quickly as possible. They would decipher the disks and safeguard Scully's ova until a decision was made about all. Doggett stopped before leaving with the other women and said, "What are you gonna do with him?"

"He's not well. I'm going to take him to the hospital. Make sure both Dana and Monica are safe."

"Hey, you need me? They can take..."

"John, listen to me." Whatever Walter planned to say was drowned out by explosion behind them. Walter dove for Alex, pulling him to the ground, as debris began to rain around them with bits of metal and wood, some still flaming, other pieces so hot they glowed. Mulder and Walter grabbed Alex and quickly stuffed him into the back seat of the truck while Doggett drove Scully and Reyes out of the lot, leaving the burning wreck behind them.

"Just like the last time," Walter said, negotiating the back roads of the northern section of the marine terminal to the Harbor Tunnel. Walter was somewhat familiar with the area and knew there was a hospital not far from their location. The signs for Harbor Hospital led them to the Urgent Care entrance. Walter was concerned that there wasn't an "Emergency Room" entrance. He and Mulder dragged the unconscious man out of the car and began to bring him into the hospital, to be met outside by an orderly and a security officer.

"I'm sorry, you can't bring him in here," the orderly stated.

"We're both FBI agents. This man is ill. He's under our protection. He needs immediate care." Mulder reached into his jacket, while Walter spoke, and pulled out his ID and badge.

The orderly looked it over and said, "OK, come on. We're not supposed to handle emergency cases..."

He looked into Alex's face and said, "Mr. Krycek? Oh damn! What the hell happened?"

"You know him?" Mulder asked, helping the orderly lay Alex out on a gurney.

"Yes, uh...yes. I can't discuss his...you know..."

"I'm the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This man is under my protection. It is imperative that I know what could be wrong with him."

The orderly ignored Walter and began to wheel Alex towards the urgent care unit. There were other patients there, mostly those who had adverse reactions to chemo therapy. Walter tried not to look at the patients like they were a zoo exhibit. It never sat right with him to see a little girl who'd lost her hair to radiation treatments. He followed the gurney to a corner where the orderly pulled the curtains around. He tried to get behind them, but another came around and pulled him away by the arm.

"Sir, I'm sorry. You're going to have to respect Mr. Krycek's privacy."

A doctor, a young woman with very dark skin but the most beautiful bun twisted at her neck, entered the curtained off area and began barking out orders. Walter listened as she asked for blood tests, two IVs put in, medication for his fever, and more instructions Walter expected Scully would know about. He thought to call her, but she was probably trying to find a way to store her ova. Interrupting her now would be rude. Calling attention to someone else's problems while she was finally solving her own.

Walter joined Mulder in the waiting area by the nurse's station. He was determined to catch the little doctor when she walked out, and grill her about Alex's condition. Why was the tail of his shirt and the back of his pants drenched in blood? Why was he so ill? Walter knew better than to think it was drug-related. Alex wasn't that pathetic. The thoughts began to line up. This was an oncology hospital. They knew Alex here by name to look at him. Was he battling cancer? Was he suffering the same fate as Scully had once suffered? Was anyone finding a chip for his neck to help cure him? Or did he let his only chance explode behind them? Or...was he really trying to end his pain because he knew there was no cure for him?

The waiting was boring, and monotonous, as Mulder tried to expound on crazy theories, from Alex being a shape shifter to him being reincarnated as a rebel alien. Walter just let him babble, considering it was better than telling him to be quiet and then having to listen to him sulk. Mulder never did anything quietly when his ass wasn't on the line.

The doctor walked out and Walter immediately jumped up to meet her, pulling out his badge. "Doctor, I'm the director...

"Of the FBI. I know your face very well, Mr. Skinner. I'm sorry, but I cannot reveal the status of a patient without that patient's express permission and Mr. Krycek is not in a position to grant permission to my satisfaction."

"If you're worried about the legality..."

"I'm worried about my patient's privacy. Whether or not he's your prisoner..."

Walter tried to smile and soften his face. "He isn't, I assure you. He is under my protection. His health and well-being are my priority. Why would I have brought him here to a private hospital, one that doesn't even have an emergency room, if I wasn't concerned for his health first."

Finally reading her name tag, Zaheda Ahmed, he watched her read him. He tried to project the visage of the concerned investigator. "Come with me to the lounge where we can talk in private."

Mulder began to stand and follow Walter, but he held his hand up, stopping Mulder in his tracks. "I'll handle this alone, Mulder."

Surprisingly, Mulder nodded. The little woman was fast on her feet and Walter had to hurry to keep up with her. She led him to a small lounge with lockers, a round table with chairs and the requisite filthy coffee machine in the corner. She grabbed a random mug and sloppily poured some into it, holding it up for Walter. He held his hand up, passing. She sipped it herself, then sat at the table, indicating for Walter to join her, which he did.

"The reason I am hesitant to reveal Mr. Krycek's condition is that I would be invading the privacy of more than one person. So there will be information I will have to leave out, in order to protect the privacy of others. Mr. Krycek is a marrow donor for another patient. Because he has a heart murmur, the extraction was made from his pelvis, and the incision site did not heal properly. He has a massive abscess on his lower back, and the ensuing infection has entered his blood. Because he was an ambulatory patient here, I have admitted him as an in-house patient, especially since his current condition is a result of a procedure done here."

"He's a marrow donor? For whom?"

The doctor smiled. "I cannot tell you that. I can tell you that he's done a wonderful thing, donating his marrow. The patient he helped has a very rare blood type, and his was the only marrow to match. The patient is on his way to a fully recovery thanks to Mr. Krycek and his generosity."

Walter nodded absently. "Thank you, doctor. I appreciate you trusting me."

"If Mr. Krycek isn't in custody, I can assume you and your other agent will be leaving him alone."

"I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm concerned for his safety. If you haven't heard about the explosion in the Dundalk area tonight, you soon will. We rescued Mr. Krycek from there, as someone was attempting to murder him."

"Murder him? But...he's the kindest man I've met. The way he is with..."

Walter stopped a moment. "With? Please, doctor, I need you to tell me. If the patient he helped is close to him, a relative, they may be in the same danger as he is. I don't want to waste time getting a warrant for the files."

Seeing that she was in a bad position either way, the lesser of the two evils was to break patient confidentiality. "The patient is his nephew, Michael. Marina and Mike Lovell and their son, Michael. They are local, in the Glen Burnie area. I'll instruct the nurse on duty to give you their information. Michael, the boy, he's out-patient now, coming back for chemotherapy. Nothing will happen to them, will it?"

"Not if I can help it, doctor. Thank you for your help. I will not mention to the family how I came across the information. And I will make sure the Lovell family is kept safe."

Dr. Ahmed shook Walter's hand and led him to the nurse's station where he was given the information on the Lovell family. Walter knew the area well where they lived, and would visit them the next day. Dr. Ahmed assured them that Alex would be well cared for. After calling in a detail to watch Alex, and a unit to stay outside the hospital for backup, Walter took Mulder to his apartment, then went back to his own house.

After spending the next two hours on the phone with all of his deputy directors, ordering them to inform their respective assistant directors, to spare no expense in protecting Alex Krycek, Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, John Doggett and Monica Reyes until morning. He didn't ask for a security detail of his own but knew that there would be at least two cars parked outside his house, watching for anything suspicious, as well as a patrol around the house. When he finally hung up to go to shower, it was two in the morning. Walter dispensed with a shower, knowing he would rather take one in the morning. He set his alarm for six-thirty, knowing Arlene, his assistant, would want more information, and sleeping until seven, when she arrived at the office, wouldn't work well.

***

LOVELL HOUSEHOLD
GLEN BURNIE, MARYLAND

Walter walked up the flagstones and slowed as the front door opened behind the screened storm door. "Can I help you?" asked the woman standing there. She was medium height, a little plump, but her face looked just like Alex's. That was definitely his sister.

"Mrs. Lovell, my name is Walter Skinner. I'm the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation..."

The woman sighed deeply and walked out the door onto the porch. "Now what? What could we possibly tell you that we haven't told you already? How many times are you going to grill me and my husband? We don't know where my brother is and I have no idea what he does or what he's doing!"

Walter stopped in his tracks. The bureau had questioned her before. Or someone posing as an agent had questioned her. And here he was, bothering her again.

"Ma'am, you have my apologies. I'm not here to question you. I am here to deliver news."

She raised her chin, a clear trait she shared with Alex. "What news? Is my brother dead?"

"No, but he's very ill. He's developed an infection in his blood from an abscess on his lower back. The site where..."

"Where they took the..." She stopped herself quickly. She looked up and down the street and said, "Please come inside. I'm sorry. It's been...difficult."

Walter nodded. She admitted him to the modest home. A duplex with smallish rooms but well cared for and comfortable looking, it was just the kind of home Walter would have wanted when he was still married. The young woman indicated to Walter to sit on a wide woven couch. "Can I get you something? Coffee or tea?" Her tone had gone from defiant and defensive to questioning and concerned.

"No, ma'am, thank you."

"Oh, please, my name is Marina. My brother..."

"Is in the care of the hospital where the donation was done. I had no idea your son was ill. But, may I ask, what did you mean when you said there wasn't anything else you could tell me? Have there been agents here before questioning you about your brother?"

Walter tried to speed through the case file for Alex Krycek, trying to remember when Marina Lovell had been questioned.

"Yes, there have been agents through here constantly. Especially that Mulder person. He's been here at least a dozen times. He's lucky he was only here once when my husband was home. Mike wanted to take him apart."

"I'm very sorry you've been put through that. Had I been in charge, or even aware of the situation, it would never have happened. Let me assure you, I will be looking into the situation to ensure this will never happen again. I promise you that."

"Thank you, Mr. Skinner. How is he?"

"Alex is currently under the care of Dr. Ahmed at Harbor Hospital. He is under the watch of my agents. Did you see the news this morning about the ship explosion down at the Marine Terminal in Dundalk?"

"Alex didn't set that explosion, did he?" she asked, hand coming to cover her throat.

"No, ma'am. He isn't in custody. He is under protection. I believe there is someone trying to kill him. I put a guard on your home as well. I wanted to ask your permission to send a forensics team here to investigate the house, make sure no one has tampered with anything. Is your husband home?"

Marina looked toward the ceiling and let out a half sob. "No, he's working. He owns a construction company. He'll be gone most of the day. If they must come by, please have them come as soon as possible. Mike should be home around six or seven this evening."

"I'll have them come directly. How many times have agents been here to see you?" he asked. Mulder had never, ever mentioned that Krycek had a sister and that he had been to her home. This is information Walter was sure that should have been passed on to him.

"Oh, every few months, someone shoving another badge in my face is here to get information on Alex. What has he done?" she asked.

"Ma'am, he has given me vital information on an investigation that has been going on for many years. He risked his life to get this to me, and saved my life in the process. He's a very brave man."

Marina smiled and took a deep breath. "Well, it's good to know that he's not being arrested. Thank you for letting me know. I will most likely visit him later today. I don't know..."

"Mrs. Lovell, please, don't worry about him. I'm going to personally oversee his protection. And your family's protection as well."

"Thank you."

"I hope that Michael is doing well."

"Yes, he's feeling much better today. He's home, if you'd like to meet him..."

"No, thank you, please. I must be getting back to Washington. I just wanted to see you personally before setting things in motion. Thank you for your kindness."

Walter stood and shook Marina's hand. Her eyes were piercing green, so like Alex's it was frightening. Walter remembered losing himself in those eyes. He walked to the door and let himself out. Marina stood at the door and watched as he got in the back of the waiting car. Two other cars sat on the block, black spots in a world of color. Walter ignored the feelings of anger and frustration at the thought of Mulder having gone on his own to disrupt the Lovell home without a word to him. It was unforgivable. Agents were not allowed to abuse their power by harassing the public.

In the back of the agent-driven car, Walter phoned both Doggett and Mulder for a meeting. Then he called the hospital to check on Alex's status, which was not better but not worse. He's woken for a moment, said Walter's name, and then fell unconscious again. The news both bothered and secretly pleased Walter. Obviously bothered that Alex wasn't conscious and improving quickly. Yet, pleased, Alex thought of him first. It was a start.

Walter made it a point to leave the office by six that night. He made sure that anything that could wait would wait until the next day. He wanted to visit Alex in the hospital. He sat in his car, still not used to being chauffeured around, and worked his cell phone, still trying to track Mulder down. It had been a fruitless day, in which poor Arlene could not catch Mulder on his mobile or in his office. Walter was getting angrier as each attempt went unsuccessful.

The hospital looked much quieter from the front entrance. When Walter really looked at it, it was a rather pleasant building. There was a large water feature in the front by the information desk, calmly flowing trickles over dark lava rocks. The young woman at the desk told him where to go, and said, "There's someone else with him, so the charge nurse may not let you both stay there together."

"May I ask who is there?"

She consulted her screen and smiled, "It says Agent Fox Mulder. He was admitted before I came on duty."

"Does it say how long he's been here?" he asked.

She looked again. "Oh my. He's been here since six this morning. Is something wrong, Mr. Skinner?"

"No, thank you." He went to the elevator and waited, trying to form the words in his head how to take Mulder to task for his treatment of Alex's family. Each step down the hall brought Walter's ire up, until he arrived at the ICU and walked to where Alex lay in bed. The scene was surreal, at best description. Mulder sat in a chair beside the bed, book in hand, reading out loud. He looked up momentarily, stopping mid sentence, then, after a nod to Walter in greeting, went back to reading his book, Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov". Walter thought about the story, about the three brothers and their differences. Perhaps a likeness could be made to Mulder, Alex and Jeffrey Spender, all linked in one way or another to the smoking bastard. Three brothers, in spirit if not in blood.

Walter waited for Mulder to finish the chapter and then called him to speak on the other side of the nurses' station. His anger had cooled when he saw Mulder reading to Alex while he still lay unconscious. Walter looked into the gray-green eyes of his most prized and most annoying agent and the feeling still warred inside him.

"Mulder, tell me what you know about Marina Lovell." Walter said it calmly, knowing that striking out at Mulder wouldn't yield any positive information.

"I...don't know who that is, sir. Is she an abductee that's turned up? Was she diagnosed with the same cancer as Scully had?" Mulder looked at his boss and there was no pretense in his eyes. Walter knew when Mulder was lying.

"No, she is Alex's sister. She told me that over the last decade and a half, you have been to bother her and her family with questions about Alex. She told me her husband has threatened you, as well." Surprise was a mild term to use for the look that came over Mulder's face. "Sir, if I had ever gone to see anyone related to Krycek, I would have documented it, and brought Scully to diffuse any heated situation. You know that. I may not be one to follow all the rules all the time, but I wouldn't harass a witness. Especially one so close to Krycek. I would want to stay on her good side, to get as much assistance as possible."

"I was thinking that. I was also thinking that you've been known to upset a person or two," Walter quietly accused.

Nodding, Mulder took the gentle barb for what it was. "Sir, I assure you, I have never met Mrs. Lovell. But I'm going to. I'll take Scully along with me. To make sure the interview goes smoothly."

"I was thinking the same thing. Try and get as much information about your imposter as possible. Let's see if we can't find out who has been posing as you for so long and we never once heard about it."

"Yes, sir. Do you want to...stay a while? I can leave the book with you. I remember when Krycek and I were partnered together, this book was in his overnight bag. He said he liked to keep up reading books from authors he'd touched on in college. I thought maybe something familiar..."

"Good thinking. You get on the imposter. I'll stay here with Alex. Keep me apprised of the situation."

Mulder nodded and handed the book to Walter. Walter made his way back to Alex's bed, and sat in the recently vacated chair. His gaze lingered on Alex's pale face. In complete repose, Alex looked adolescent, far too young to be as evil as he portrayed for so many years. Walter turned the book over in his hands, wondering if he should start reading, or should he just talk to Alex.

Just about to open the book, Walter saw Alex's eyelids begin to flutter. "Alex? Are you awake?"

Green eyes popped open, swirling around furiously. Walter reached out and took his hand, bringing Alex's gaze to him. He let a smile play on his lips so that Alex would realize he was in good hands. He didn't seem capable of speech yet. The nurse left the cannula under his nose still delivered oxygen, so Walter figured it was caution that incited the silence.

"Alex, do you know where you are?" Walter asked, cautiously.

"Harbor Hospital. Why...you..."

"I'm here to make sure you're OK. You did an incredibly brave thing. I want to make sure you're rewarded."

Alex did his best to snort in disbelief, but his weakened state prevented that. A nurse came over and said, "OK, Mr. Skinner. The doctor is on her way. You're going to have to go to the waiting area outside the nurses' station. We need the room to work."

Walter merely nodded and stood. He squeezed Alex's hand one last time and took the book with him to sit and wait. Being outside the immediate area of all the monitoring equipment, Walter's cell phone immediately jumped to life with voicemails and calls coming through. He looked at the device, realizing they had an interrupter in the ICU, and decided he'd bothered Alex enough for the day. He quickly wrote a note on paper he took from the nurse station and advised one of the nurses give it to him. He only wrote that he was sorry he had to leave and would return after work the next night.

The next day brought a shit-storm of information through the department. There were documents of Consortium activity back sixty years. Walter was not prepared to be implicated in the files. Although his involvement was peripheral, and it was clear that each action on his part was performed under extreme duress, it didn't look good for him. The saving grace was in the form of information about the murder of his wife and the nanobots that had once invaded his body. It was clear he was forced into every action he took, but Walter knew as well as everyone else, it did not look good. And subsequently, the President asked him to step down.

In a matter of seven days from the explosion to then, Walter was walking out of the building for the last time. His executive assistant, Arlene cried, promising him she would ship all of his personal items to him next day. The car waited for him, whisking him to his home in Annapolis. He was comforted slightly when his detail all shook his hand and admitted they were sorry that he was leaving.

"Sir, the bureau had gotten back some of its integrity under your command," Agent Lanza said,

"Yeah, and the word around the water cooler, sir," chimed in Agent Garcia, "we know you had no choice to do what they wanted. Your name is still good."

That meant the world to Walter. He made a difference. Even if he had to give himself up in order to do it, the Consortium, and all the lies and evil that were perpetuated by it, had come to light and were being vanquished.

Walter walked into his house and looked around at the well-decorated home. The place was a bit warm, but lifeless. Everything was there for company. Nothing was for him. Maybe he'd sell the place and buy a cabin near a lake, spend his life drunk and fishing.

A last look at his watch showed it wasn't even lunchtime and he had nothing to do. Immediately, Walter went to his bedroom and changed his clothes. His suit was stowed for dry cleaning, other clothes in the hamper and he donned more comfortable clothes. He stood looking at his closet, all the suits he wouldn't need anymore. The two tuxedos would be useless. His array of wingtips and other corporate footwear was useless. He preferred the black loafers he had changed into.

Walter grabbed his leather bomber jacket, one he hadn't had across his shoulders in more than a decade, wallet and keys and went out to his car. He'd bought the Jaguar on a whim. The promotion to Deputy Director brought a hefty raise, and he used it wisely, or not so wisely. The car sat in his garage, driven only twice, off the lot to his home, and to the DMV, and that was by his aide. When he advanced to Director, he had a driver each day, part of his security detail.

He drove leisurely, enjoying the superior handling of his XJ model. He was happy to spend over one hundred thousand dollars for the eight- cylinder engine. He was just sorry he settled for the automatic transmission, when he was yearning to shift all six gears himself. If his investments continued to pay off well, he'd buy the new Mustang in standard transmission, just like the one he had in high school.

It wasn't coincidence that he pulled up outside the hospital in Dundalk where Alex was still recovering. He wasn't concerned about leaving the car in the parking lot as much as he was concerned about the greeting he would receive from his former agent, and hopefully former nemesis. And former lover.

They never discussed it, but there was a short time when they were secret lovers, before Alex was partnered with Mulder. Walter came to believe that Alex used Walter's enamor of him to secure the partnership with Mulder, but he never confirmed his silent accusation. That would be far too painful.

The receptionist remembered him, from his previous visit and most likely the news, and waved him over. "Mr. Skinner, Mr. Krycek has been moved. He's on the fourth floor now."

She handed him the room number on a note sheet and nodded to him. Walter could see the veiled pity in her eyes. He ignored it. He didn't need pity. Walter was instrumental in saving the planet. He didn't need the accolades afforded to Mulder, Scully, Doggett and Reyes. Walter thought about them a few moments, while waiting for the elevator. They were very sorry to see Walter leave. Mulder bordered on angry that Walter accepted the invitation to resign so blithely. All Walter could tell him was that it was the best for the nation that someone took responsibility for what happened within the government.

"Walter, that's bullshit and you know it. You had next to nothing to do with this. You shouldn't be taking the fall for all the bastards in office who did this! You're accepting sixty years of culpability! You aren't even sixty years old!"

Walter appreciated Mulder's anger, his sense of injustice and his candor. "Mulder, the people of the United States need to have faith in their law enforcement leaders. How can we promote that faith if a wrong doesn't have someone to blame?"

"That doesn't..."

"Yes, it does. It makes perfect sense. If no one can be blamed, then the doubt and fear is still there. The citizens aren't sure of the people protecting them. I took one for the team. You took plenty for the team. You should know how I feel."

Mulder considered his words and relented, admitting he would miss Walter dearly. "Yeah, Big Man, it's not going to be the same without you here. Your head going all red like a three ball..."

This was when Walter took a mock swing at Mulder, prompting laughing, a hug and two men fighting not to cry in front of their peers. It made Walter smile to himself as he rode up the 4 floors to where Alex was still resting. He walked to the door and stood in the doorway, looking in at the sleeping man. Alex was wearing blue pajamas, not a gown, while he lay atop his blanket, hands folded on his stomach, ankles crossed. His face relaxed in repose once again held the youthful look of peace.

Walter quietly moved to the chair beside the bed and sat. He didn't move, didn't speak, barely breathed. But he listened. There was the most subtle change in Alex's breathing. Most people wouldn't even notice it, but when you spend lots of time in a hospital with other people around, you know when they are awake, and when they are not. There was an aborted sigh and Alex's nostrils flared.

The smile spread all on its own. "I know you're awake, Alex. I lived in a hospital for more than four months in Saigon. I know when a person wakes up and fakes being asleep to listen to the doctors talking above them."

Crystal green eyes were revealed behind lazy lids. The dark fringe of sinfully long lashes hid any hint of sparkle.

"Why are you here?" he asked, voice gravelly from disuse.

"I'm here to visit. I wanted to know how you were doing by seeing you, not just speaking with your nurses and doctors." Walter tried to keep his tone neutral, not allowing his deep concern bleed through.

"I'm fine. They're releasing me tomorrow. Goodbye."

Alex closed his eyes again. Walter sighed deeply. "Well, I'm sure you've been following the news on that huge flat screen television over there. I just wanted to explain..."

"I know why you did it. Someone had to take the punch. It's the honorable thing to do. Surprised you didn't make them haul me in to testify, all hooked up to the IVs."

"I never mentioned you. Another reason they wanted to get rid of me. I wouldn't give up my source of information. The 'Fantastic Four', as the news is calling the other agents, vowed to keep your secret as well. How are you feeling?"

Alex shrugged, still only one shoulder. "I'm feeling better. The doctor said the abscess is healing. She wants to release me with strict instructions to have my 'personal physician' continue my care. Isn't that funny?"

"Why is that funny?" Walter asked.

"I still have total immunity for past crimes, haven't I?"

"Of course. Anything you tell me is in the strictest confidence. Consider me like a lawyer."

"The last doctor that put his hands on me is no longer walking this planet. Or any other planet for that matter."

Walter just nodded. "So, you need a physician and a place of convalescence."

Alex snorted in derision. "I don't need anything from you."

"You need help from someone, or you'll end up lying face down somewhere, an alley, the street, something."

"My, how melodramatic of you. You should write romance novels. For sad fags."

Walter inhaled sharply. He looked up, gathering strength, tightening his face. "It wouldn't be like that. I'm offering you sanctuary from...harm."

"Harm? A huge cock in my ass may cause a little harm, I think."

"I won't...we won't...you don't have to worry. The house has a bedroom downstairs. You can stay there. I'll stay in the master suite upstairs, and you'll be fine."

"I know what your house looks like," Alex said, a sarcastic gleam in his eye.

A nod accompanied the smile and Walter said, "Why am I not surprised? Well, the offer is real. Just a place where you can rest, feel safe and figure out your next move. I have a housekeeper that comes in every day, so she'll do your cleaning and laundry and things. Or do you have so many more desirable offers?"

Alex's eyes widened and Walter knew he'd struck a cord. Alex didn't have any other offers, and that was the issue. Walter wasn't even sure Alex had a place of his own. At least, not in this country. "Fine. They're releasing me about two. My doctor has a surgery in the morning, but she'll come down and spring me when she's done. So, see you then."

Alex punctuated the ending of the conversation by turning over, away from Walter. Nodding, Walter stood and said, "Feel better, Alex. I'll see you tomorrow."

He drove back to his home, considering how he was going to break the news to his housekeeper. She was a proper Irish girl, Louise, trying to save enough money for college here in the states. Walter didn't need a daily housekeeper, but it was better to just pay her to help him than for her to work more jobs than necessary to save her money. He knew she spent time sitting in his house studying and it never bothered him.

At the house, Louise was just finishing up his laundry. She nodded politely to him.

"Louise? You don't have to be quiet around me. If you want to say something, say something."

"Can't. If I do, I'll never get to stay here. Believe me, I have some bloody choice words for your bastard president. Makin' ye step down for things ye didn' have anything to do with."

"I know. This country is very strange that way. Don't let it concern you."

"Yessir. I'll be takin' the dry cleaning now. Is there anything else I can get for ye?"

"Yes, well, no, but I will be having a house guest. When you come by tomorrow, change the sheets in the guest bedroom, freshen the blankets, vacuum, dust and clean the downstairs bathroom. He'll be here a while. He may have dietary preferences, so I'll be leaving a list for marketing. Is that OK with you?"

"Yessir. Tomorrow, then."

She left the house and Walter noticed the quiet. It was only late afternoon. Kids should have been home from school, outside playing on the sidewalks, in yards. Maybe this was the norm. A product of the Nintendo generation. Kids would rather stay inside and play video games than be outside running around, playing war or cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers. He decided he'd cook some dinner, as opposed to ordering in. He'd taken a cooking class back when he was freshly divorced and still an assistant director, and he still had the time to go to classes. Back when Sharon was still alive. Having the necessary ingredients for a dinner were quiet another thing.

Sorely disappointed with his in-house food stores, Walter went back to his car and drove straight to the Megamart about half a mile from his home. He hadn't done a proper grocery shopping trip since...well, since he was married. He and Sharon would do that together on Saturdays as their bonding time. As the marriage went on, Sharon would make smaller trips throughout the week, only asking him to bring home the large things, and he usually forgot those. Maybe if they still shopped together...

Walter didn't let the maudlin memories start to creep in, trying to assign blame. Just like the review committee asked him to take the heat for the Consortium debacle, he would take the blame in his marriage, the breakup and the murder. As Walter combed the aisles for his groceries, he noticed the looks he was getting from some of the other shoppers. Some looks of pity, but there were other glares of outright contempt. Walter did his best to let things roll off his shoulders, but after loading the car with his purchases, he was shaking. He didn't know if it was anger, fear or sadness, or a combination of all three. He was even aware of the glares he got for his choice in vehicles. He owned the Jaguar for four years and didn't drive it. And he'd have to sell it. It was such a waste.

***

That night, Walter watched the news, which was still running stories about the cases broken by Alex's plethora of information. There was a brief clip about Walter resigning, and Mulder's new statement that his boss was taking the blame for things "that happened before he was born! It's a travesty, a crime and a serious miscarriage of justice if the American people need to feel better at the expense of the good name of a hero."

Walter smiled. He was thankful his old bureau cell phone had been returned. He assumed it would be going off like crazy after that statement. His home phone had been an unlisted number, and it was silent. Too silent. Did none of his friends want to speak to him? And...did he have any friends? No, he didn't. All he'd had was coworkers, then subordinates. Mulder had been the closest thing he had to a friend. Mulder was too busy being the media darling. Walter didn't have a hobby. He didn't even own a pet. He lived a pretty pathetic life.

Arriving at the hospital around 1PM, Walter had made sure he brought clothing he thought would fix Alex. He didn't want to take the chance that he didn't have any friends either, no one to bring him anything. After spending the morning in the local mall, something he did not relish, he thought he'd done a fair job of choosing black Levi's 501s, soft cotton shirts and under things, and a brand new pair of black Doc Martin boots, the kind he'd always wanted for himself.

Alex was sitting up in his bed, ignoring the tray of lunch in front of him. The nurse was standing over him, lecturing him that they couldn't release him until he ate another solid meal.

"This isn't a meal, this is a pile of..."

"Alex, you should know better than to speak that way to a lady. Now, say you're sorry and eat your lunch."

Alex looked up at Walter and if looks could kill, Walter would have been struck down by lightning. Grudgingly, though, Alex mumbled an apology and picked up his fork. He poked at the steamed chicken breast and boiled rice. "Walt, this is disgusting." The nurse shook her head and left the room, nodding at Walter.

"What's in the bag?" Alex asked, mouth full.

"Your clothes. I'm going to assume the things you arrived in aren't fit to wear, so I bought you some new things. I remembered your shoe size, but I had to guess on the clothes. You look like you've lost weight."

"With this kind of food, do you blame me?" Alex spat, putting his plastic fork down, and declaring the meal concluded.

"No, I don't. Why don't you get some clothes on and I'll wait outside. We'll get you signed out and on your way back to my place. And since you know my house, you know how nice the guest room is."

Assisting him from the bed, Walter pulled the curtain closed around Alex's bed. He began pulling clothing out, cutting off tags, removing sizing stickers so that he did not watch at Alex shimmied his boxer briefs up his hips and adjusted his package into place. "I'll wait outside while you finish here."

Walter left the room quickly, knowing he'd want the same privacy offered, but Alex wouldn't really have cared. He wasn't one to be modest. When he stepped from the curtained area, boots in his hands, he eyed Walter warily as he sat in the chair to tie his boots. "These fit pretty good, Walt. Thanks."

That was a huge disclosure on Alex's part. Especially saying thank you. Walter didn't take it for granted, nor did he condescend to Alex. He just nodded in thanks of the compliment. After Alex had tied his boots, he sat back a moment, eyes closed.

"Are you all right, Alex?" Walter asked, concerned, but not hovering.

"Yes, fine. Came up too fast, little dizzy."

Immediately, Walter was by his side, arm about the small of his back. Alex's face turned to his, and Walter remembered why he was so long so long ago, in those eyes, those beautiful green eyes, those long and luscious lashes. It was plain and simple. Alex was just as alluring and enticing as he was when Walter first fell head over heels for him.

"I said I'm fine!" Alex protested and pulled away from Walter. He ran a hand through his hair and pulled it back, frowning. "Fuck, I need a shower. I smell like a homeless person."

"That's fine. There's plenty of bathing facilities at my house. Let's go, Alex. I promise to take good care of you."

Alex nodded and they made their way to the nurses' station, where several of the young trainees, and even interns, gave Alex knowing looks. Walter smiled, knowing the women standing there, all vying for Alex's attention, were shit out of luck. Alex was gay, always was, always would be. Walter had been one of the fortunate few to have gotten a taste.

Alex was thankful they didn't make him ride in a wheelchair to the car that Walter had pulled up to the exit. The smile of appreciation was well noted as Alex got into the Jaguar. "Nice wheels. Was this one of your parting gifts?"

"No, this was in place of a midlife crisis and a mistress." Walter smiled as Alex sat back and appreciated the smooth acceleration.

"I thought I was your..."

"Shut up! If you don't want to have to deal with it, then stop bringing it up."

Walter was instantly sorry he'd snapped at Alex, hoping it didn't spark one of his fabulous brooding sessions. Being Russian, Alex could brood with the best of them. It almost ruined one of their stolen vacations. Walter was able to bring Alex around with the smell of steak and onions. Alex's weakness was good food. Thinking back, Walter wondered if he'd learned to cook for himself after the divorce, or to possibly lure Alex back into his bed.

"I didn't say I didn't want to deal with it. I just said that your cock would tear up my ass..."

"Yes, I remember. You needn't worry. Any newly found virtue is safe from me. Rest assured."

Walter wasn't sure, but he thought that the sideways look he got from Alex was something less than snide. Something more like longing. He couldn't let that seep into his brain. That had to roll off his back. If he let the old feelings slide back into his head, they'd take over his life. And letting Alex back into his life was tantamount to suicide, political, social and physical.

When Walter pulled up to the house, he immediately went over to Alex's side to help him out. Alex batted his hand away and said, "I'm not a baby! You can just go in. I'll be fine."

Walter stepped back and let Alex get himself out of the car seat and slam the door closed. It hurt a little to hear the rattle of the window, knowing that window was forever loose, but it was better for Alex to feel the strength of his actions. Walter followed behind Alex, making sure each step was sure. The progress was slow, but with the abscess at the center of the small of Alex's back, it probably still throbbed in pain.

"Alex, do you have any prescriptions you need filled?" Walter asked. "I can take them for you."

"No, I'm fine."

Shaking his head, Walter followed Alex up the porch steps and into the house. It seemed Alex did know where he was going because he headed straight back to the bedroom on the first floor. The clothes Walter bought him were already there. Alex made himself comfortable in the easy chair, looking around the room with detached interest.

"Do you like it?" Walter asked.

"It's nice. Yeah, thanks."

Alex leaned his head back in the chair and closed his eyes. Walter took that as a "you're dismissed". He went to the kitchen and looked at the clock. It was two-fifteen. Too late for lunch, too early to start dinner. So, he went to his office and looked around. The room seemed alien to him. He'd designed it ages ago, but it didn't seem like something he could enjoy. The room was alien to him. Why did he ever decide a home office was a good idea? It was useless to him. When he was in the bureau, and running it, he could only work from home. Since he'd been dismissed, it wasn't useful.

"Try a laptop on the back porch," Alex said from the doorway.

Walter whirled around and looked at Alex, standing and holding the door frame with a white-knuckled hand. "Well, maybe you should give this place a try. You can't stay locked up in that bedroom the whole time you're here."

"And where will you go?" Alex asked.

"The back porch. Like you said."

Alex smiled and turned to leave. Walter followed him to the kitchen, where he inspected the refrigerator, pulling out a bottle of beer. Walter took his own and they made their way out to the back porch, to sit and look at the small hedged-in area. Walter sat beside him for a few moments before turning to Alex and nudging the man with his shoulder. "You're right, you smell like a homeless person. You need a shower. You should get upstairs into a hot bath and rest for a while."

"Not if I can help it," came a firm feminine voice from the doorway. Scully walked out the back door, messenger bag hanging from her shoulder. She'd upgraded her medical carry-case from the small first aid kit she started with to something almost as comprehensive as a traveling surgical suite.

"Mornin' Red," Alex said, which garnered the response he'd wanted, a wince from Scully. "What brings you out here, way out of the spotlight?"

"Well, Walter mentioned you needed a personal physician to continue your after care. I came to help."

Alex gave her the one-eyebrow salute she was always giving everyone else. Walter enjoyed the exchange, knowing Scully could handle herself, and Alex was still too tired to start a real fight.

"I would like you to hold off on any immersion of the injury site until I give the OK. I would also like to examine you, please. Would you come inside with me?"

"Why can't I just drop my pants here? Nothing Walt hasn't seen before...up close and personal like."

Scully pretended Alex hadn't spoken and extended her hand toward the back door. Reluctantly, Alex struggled to his feet and walked into the house. Walter decided it was smarter to stay outside and let them come out and get him later. He hadn't brought the laptop with him, so he just sat there, drinking his beer, enjoying the afternoon air.

The ruckus started low with "Keep your hands off that," and Alex sounded like he meant it.

"I need to manipulate the site slightly to see which stage of healing you've reached."

"Red, you put your hand on that and I'll pull it clear off your arm. You can make book on that."

"Honestly, Krycek, how can you expect to get better if you don't trust your doctor."

"You aren't a doctor. You're the mother of my former partner's son. Big fucking difference."

"Just lie on your stomach and relax."

"Fuck that. You practice on dead bodies, Red, I'm not stupid."

Walter stood and made his way inside to the back bedroom. Alex was standing on the opposite side of the bed from Scully, pants loosened but pulled back up his hips. "Walt, tell her not to put her dead-body- touching hands on me!"

"Alex, you know she's a good doctor. She treated the gunshot wound she gave Mulder that was meant for you. Now, drop trou and let her check to see that your wound is healing." Alex stood his ground a moment. "Don't make me come over there."

"Promise?" Alex said, deep and playful, the naughty gleam creeping back into his eyes.

Walter stood his ground. Alex shoved his pants down his hips, dragging the boxer briefs with them, showing a tantalizingly small amount of pubic hair. He lay across the bed and pulled them further down his back until just a hint of crack showed, and Walter fought internally to keep himself calm. He could feel his blood rushing around his body, and when he looked over at Scully, he saw that she knew and was doing her best to ignore it.

What exactly did Scully think of gay men? Walter couldn't call himself gay, having slept with women all his life except for when he'd fallen in love with Alex. Alex was the one person in his life who could turn everything on its head. Then, once Walter was used to the upside-down world, Alex would right everything and ruin Walter's hard-won equilibrium.

When she'd examined Alex sufficiently, Scully pulled off her rubber gloves and gathered her waste in the center of a large sterile paper sheet she'd laid on the bed to hold her materials and garbage. Walter knew the drill and had a plastic garbage bag ready for everything. She would dispose of it properly as medical waste. Alex stood and zipped up his pants, mindful of the fresh bandage on his back. Scully had been surprisingly gentle with him.

"Just make sure you don't immerse it for a few more days. Sir...um...Walter, just change the bandage in the mornings and before bed. It should be fine in a day or two. A waterproof bandage is good for showers. I put one on there, and you should get more. Do you have any medication allergies?"

Alex shook his head.

Scully handed a prescription to Walter and said, "Those are just for Tylenol with codeine, in case you have any pain, Krycek. Let Walter take care of you for the next few days. You'll be thankful you did."

Ignoring Scully, Alex walked out of the room and went back out to the porch. I was early November, and the sun was beginning to make its way to the west quickly. Walter brought Alex's leather jacket out to him, having saved it from the hospital lock up, where it would have been stolen.

"Scully said I should take care of you."

"Did she say we could fuck?" Alex asked, not looking up at Walter.

"I didn't think to ask. I think you'll need a few days rest, whether you want to make love or not. After you're rested, you decide what you want to do."

Walter went back into his house, and locked himself in the den for the rest of the day, only coming out to order Chinese delivery for dinner. Alex came in when he smelled the crispy duck and spicy Hunan chicken.

"You know I love Chinese food," was all Alex said before taking a plate to serve himself and chopsticks. Walter watched as Alex manipulated the utensils with the expertise of a native.

"How long did you live in Hong Kong, Alex?" he asked.

"Oh, about four months too long. I developed a really bad case of dysentery while I was there. Christ, I looked like I was strung out. All I wanted was to glue my ass to a toilet."

"I had that in 'Nam, it's no joke."

They ate for a while in comfortable silence, until Walter looked at the clock. "The game starts in an hour. Dallas at the Jets. What say we clean up and watch?"

Walter knew damned well Alex loved football as much as he did. It was one of the few things they had in common to talk about without talking about the opposing work they did. They sat on opposite ends of the couch watching the game. Alex was very quiet through the game, and when the fourth quarter began, Walter looked over and saw Alex sacked out asleep. He settled when Walter pulled his mother's old afghan over him, pressing a gentle kiss to Alex's forehead.

When he got up in the morning, Walter found Alex curled up on the couch, under the afghan and head on a throw pillow. Immediately, Walter felt guilty. Had Alex slept there because he couldn't get up on his own from pain? Was he cold that night? Was he uncomfortable? While that couch was really good for sitting, it didn't seem that great for sleeping.

Walter made his way to the kitchen and started coffee for them both. If he knew one thing about Alex, he'd be wanting a cup of hot black coffee as soon as he got up. With two sugars of course. Walter needed cream with his coffee and sugar. Walter thought about all the bad coffee he'd drank when he was in Vietnam, all the sleepless nights, worrying whether his number was up, and then being denied coffee while he recovered in the hospital in Saigon. What did he know; he was an eighteen-year-old kid, almost nineteen, and still a child in many ways.

Moments after the dark brown liquid began dripping into the coffee pot, Alex drifted into the kitchen, clothes askew, hair disheveled. To Walter, he looked absolutely adorable. Walter placed the mug before him and wasn't surprised when he didn't get a thank you. Alex would need a few more sips before he was human.

"Do you want breakfast?" Walter asked.

A nod was his only answer.

"I'm making oatmeal. And I have pecans for you. You want syrup?" Walter asked.

There was a grunt. Walter went to the cabinet and began the pot of water. Walter never made instant oatmeal. He always cooked it fresh. When his back was turned, Walter could feel the eyes on his back. Alex was awake and staring at him. He peeked over his shoulder, looking back at Alex. The smile was there, that grin that promised dirty things. Walter had seen it before. It was a smirk that said Alex was glad he'd chosen to stay in Walter's home.

Walter made no mistake on that. He knew that whether or not he "ordered" Alex to stay with him, Alex was gracing him with being there. And Walter would enjoy every moment.

As he served the hot bowl to Alex, with the cream, organic maple syrup, ground cinnamon and pecans, Alex grabbed his hand and pulled Walter down, capturing his face. The kiss was brief, but meaningful. A promise.

"You smell like a homeless person," Walter said, pressing another kiss to Alex's temple.

"Then, you'll just have to give me a sponge bath, won't you?" Alex said, pulling Walter's hand again.

"I'll change your bandage, and you can take a shower. How's that for a compromise?"

"It's a compromise if you if you shower with me. Come on, you can't reach the small of your back, anyway."

They ate for a few more minutes before loading the dishwasher and making their way to Alex's unused room. He lay face-down on the bed, unbuttoning his pants and undulating his body to lower the waistband. All of Walter's blood rushed to his loins. He took the supplies that Scully left and began changing the bandage, wiping at the wound with an antiseptic cloth. Alex didn't move a muscle, which didn't surprise Walter. He'd had his arm cut off in a forest without so much as a shot of vodka to kill the pain. Then he sweated through a painful infection until he was airlifted by the Resistance to a medical facility on a ship that re-grew his arm, but he wore a plastic over-sheath, feigning amputation, but not convincingly so for Walter. He reminded Alex that he'd spent weeks in a military hospital, and visiting them for years afterward. He'd seen real amputees and real prosthetics.

Alex stood and reached for the hem of his shirt, dragging it up over his head, watching Walter the whole time. The fly of his pants were still open, showing the faintest hint of pubic hair. With one motion, both pants and briefs were dragged down his legs to puddle on the floor. Walter watched in rapt fascination as Alex walked by him and up the stairs. Walter watched the jiggle of Alex's ass a moment. He was a little older, a little softer, and there was more jiggle than clench of muscle than when they'd first met, but there was no denying Alex had the finest ass Walter had ever seen.

Alex stopped on the bottom step of the staircase. "Are you coming? Or am I washing my own hair?"

He continued on his way, and Walter followed happily, watching Alex go into his en suite bathroom to start the shower. Walter quickly undressed and met Alex in under the hot spray, Walter's erection meeting the crack of Alex's ass. Alex loosened his stance to let the hard member slide between his legs, poking the back of his ball sack.

"Oh, yeah, that's what I want," Alex said, reaching down to tease the head with his finger tips.

Wrapped in Walter's arms, Alex leaned his head back and sought Walter's mouth. It was a savage kiss, both men trying to swallow each other whole. But Alex pulled away, stepping back and turning toward Walter. He reached for the soap as he walked forward, stroking the bar across Walter's broad chest. Walter reached down and stroked Alex's hips and ass, whatever he could reach. It became a seduction, gentle shampoo for Alex's hair, broad strokes across Walter's back with sudsy hands, trying not to kiss as faces were washed.

They stepped out, and Walter made sure to check Alex's bandage that it wasn't coming off. He pulled Alex against his chest, pressing his hard on against Alex's crack again. "Do I need to worry about your past partners?" Walter asked.

"I don't know if we need to worry, but a condom for now is a good idea," Alex said back. "I had one in my wallet."

"I bought some when I knew I was bringing you home."

"So sure you'd nail me?" Alex said, turning and thrusting his hips at Walter's.

"I'm sure you would seduce me," he retorted. He reached down and snatched Alex about the thighs, lifting him into the air and carried him to the bed. Alex laughed as Walter dropped him on the mattress and stood over him, muscles still flexing. He crawled on his lover, covering Alex completely, kissing him deeply and finding that connection, that spark of electricity that connected them in their middles. It was the attraction of two hearts, drawn together, beating in time to the rhythm of freedom, happiness and love.

To again have Alex in his arms, kissing his chest and belly, to nibble at his hip bones and follow the crease of his leg to his inner thigh, nuzzling Alex's groin. Kisses and tiny licks made their way to the head of Alex's cock , sending a shudder through his body. He sat up quickly, grabbing at Walter's shoulder.

"Not yet. Not now. Now...come here," he whispered gruffly and pulled at Walter's arm. The big man crawled back up and lay beside Alex. One hand came up and stroked down Alex's cheek, across his neck and down his chest.

"Alex, you are still as beautiful as when I first met you," Walter whispered, before pressing his mouth to Alex's throat.

"I'm old, and tired. When you first met me, a simple incision would never have caused an abscess. I'm old, Walter."

Walter sat up and took Alex's face into both hands. "You're not old. You're beautiful. And you always will be. At least, to me. Does anyone else matter?"

And there was the question Walter didn't know if he wanted to hear the answer. In his heart, he hoped the answer was no. But in his head, he truly believed that Alex was only there for a short time, to recover, get his strength back, and then be on his way. That was Alex's way of life. Get in, cause his damage, get out without causing more damage to himself. It was a dangerous way to live, both for Alex and anyone stupid enough to love him.

"No one else has mattered for a very long time," came the quiet answer. A perfect, gentle kiss was pressed on Walter's mouth. He pulled Alex hard against his chest, rolling Alex on top of him. Walter reveled in running his big hands over Alex's body, noting the differences, happy to have a brand new lover to learn all over again.

Walter threaded his hands through Alex's hair, brushing it off his forehead. Alex bent forward, kissing Walter deeply, grinding his hips into Walter's. Their cocks bumped and fought, playing, dancing together. Walter's hands slid over Alex's shoulders, the corded muscles evident under his baby-soft skin. He stroked over Alex's chest, toying with already-hard nipples. Undulating above him, Alex massaged Walter's shoulders, pressing kisses to his face and neck.

"Oh, God, Walt, I want you so much," Alex moaned. Walter reached to the bedside table, groping for a condom. Alex reached past him for the bottle of lube. He poured some on his fingers and reached behind him to loosen and stretch his ass for Walter.

"Been a while for you, Alex?" Walter asked, remembering the times when a lubricated condom was all that was needed.

"Not as long as you think, but long enough," Alex said, a hint of regret in his voice.

Walter held Alex's face in his hands, scanning Alex's eyes. They kissed again sealing out the doubt, as Alex took the condom and rolled it on Walter's cock. Alex braced himself across Walter's chest while he lowered himself onto the hard cock being steadied for him.

As Alex slid down, all Walter could think about was how good Alex felt around him. How tight Alex's body was squeezing him. They moved together to a rhythm only in their heads.

Alex connected himself to Walter by the mouth, grinding his hips. Walter's hands slid around and grabbed Alex's ass to squeeze the soft cheeks, tightly, the heat almost burning his fingers. Walter grabbed so hard he wanted to leave fingerprints on Alex's flesh, wanted to leave bruises, on his ass and his soul. They moved together, panting and sweating. Walter spiraled higher, digging his heels into Alex the bed to pound harder into Alex's body. The feelings coiled harder in their bellies until Walter couldn't hold back any longer and spilled into Alex's body.

Walter felt himself slipping from Alex's ass, and saw Alex's cock was still hard; he hadn't come. He pulled Alex's body down beside him and reached for his hard on, sucking and nibbling at Alex's neck. Pre-come dribbled from the head and Walter smeared it over the crown, slicking for better friction, but it only took a few strokes and Alex was coming on Walter's hand, a few squirts making it into the hair on Walter's belly. He quickly pulled Alex into his arms.

"Oh, God, Walt...even a hand job from you..." Walter hushed him with another smoldering kiss, letting his hands roam over Alex's slender hips and tight ass. He patted Alex, moving to get up and go to his bathroom, where he removed his condom and cleaned himself up. Ever the thoughtful lover, he brought a warm, wet cloth to Alex to wipe himself up and got back on the bed with him. Alex rolled onto his side and pressed against Walter's warm flank.

"It's nice to have you back in my life, Alex," Walter said, quietly.

"I like being back, actually. I just don't know what's going to happen..."

"Don't worry about that. We have other things to consider. There are plenty of things to move forward with. You still need to rest, and heal and get your strength back. You're still too thin. I need to feed you well."

"There's plenty of time for that, Walter. I can eat everything you make me."

Walter reached down and held Alex's face towards him, looking seriously into his eyes. "Are you really going to stay? You're not kidding me? You're going to be here in the morning?"

Alex pressed a last kiss to Walter's neck and said, "I'll be here as long as you want me to."

Walter rolled Alex onto his back and pressed Alex's body down. His arms crushed Alex in a strong embrace, just holding him, not moving. Walter rubbed his face into Alex's neck, pressing little kisses there. Alex began to struggle a little, then pulled away. "Walt, my back," he croaked.

Walter sat up sharply, looking down. "Oh, God, Alex, I'm so sorry! Are you OK? Let me see if you're bleeding, turn over."

Big hands pulled Alex over and he looked down at the bandage. "Everything looks fine. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Well, it didn't really hurt. I just wanted to roll over." Alex threw a cheeky smile at Walter over his shoulder. Angered, Walter raised his hand and brought it down on Alex's right buttock. This was a shock to Alex, causing a yelp, which Walter found absolutely adorable.

"Walter! What the hell are you doing? That..." Alex thought a moment, and shook his tush, tempting Walter. "That felt kinda nice. Do it again." To punctuate his request, Alex shook his ass harder.

Doing as told, Walter spanked Alex hard again, causing the sexiest ripples in his skin. Butt cheeks clenched, Alex undulated his hips, and groaned into the pillow.

"I like that. Oh, we're going to have to schedule a nice, thorough spanking when I'm not feeling a shooting pain up my back."

A firm kiss was left on one bright red ass cheek and Walter lay back down beside Alex. Alex turned to him and sighed. Walter reached out to stroke his head. "Alex, I think you should go see your sister."

"Forget it. Mike will have me shot. If he was any other man, I'd shoot back. And the last thing I want to do is kill my sister's husband."

"He doesn't sound like the nicest guy in the world. But he's your nephew's father."

"He's not going to think any differently of me since the bounty hunters began harassing them. I felt bad for Mulder, actually. He was never as much of a prick as these guys could be. I hadn't met Mike before that. I was long gone by the time Marina met him and started dating him. She's several years younger than me."

"She looks exactly like you, Alex. She's a really lovely woman, and I get the feeling that she wants to see you."

Alex nodded. "We can worry about this later. Right now, I think I want to be lazy today."

"I think I like that idea."

And lazy they were. They spent the entire day undressed, lolling in bed, watching the flat screen television Walter had mounted in his room. He'd intended to have it there in case he was ever ill and needed to work from his bed. Walter ordered in pizza for lunch, but dinner was a barbecue in the back, steaks and corn. Alex loved cooking beside Walter in the kitchen, going outside into the November evening to retrieve the rest of dinner. They didn't really talk while they ate. What was there to talk about, really? Just as Walter was going to the sink to rinse the dishes, the sound of glass breaking outside caught his attention. Alex stood with him and they went out front to see what the problem was. The glass beside the front door had been broken by a large piece of white gravel from garden bed.

He went outside to see who was there, but no one was on the street, darkness having fallen to hide anyone lurking.

"What is it?" Alex asked.

"Just some broken glass. I'll get a bit of wood from the garage and cover this. Can you remove the rest of the glass from the frame? Get some gloves from the closet."

Alex nodded and did as asked. When Walter came back, Alex was sweeping up the slivers of glass with a dust broom. Walter quickly fastened the board in place, and didn't like the idea of replacing the glass in his door.

"Walt, you ever known your neighbors to be hostile?" It was an innocuous question, but a valid one.

"No, not really. Usually, they're polite, keep to themselves. It's a nice area."

"It's Annapolis, of course it's nice. But it's also patriotic. And you were colored a traitor. You think maybe...they're letting you know they're not pleased? Or you think I'm being paranoid?"

Considering his options, Walter shook his head. "Maybe you're right on target. We'll just keep our eyes open."

After cleaning the front hall, Alex made his way to the office and grabbed the phone. Walter followed and waited outside, out of view, and listened. The buttons of the phone were jabbed in anger. A pause alerted Walter that Alex was waiting while the phone rang.

"Marina? Alexei. I...how's Mikhail? Is he? Tell him not to sit around too much. Let him go outside, Mari. Let him get air. Play catch with him. Oh? He's not afraid of catching leukemia?"

There was a profound silence.

"Yes, I'm sorry, Mari. Please, stop...Mari...Mari! Look, I called just to say...I'm thankful to have helped. I'm glad that Mikhail is doing well."

More silence.

"Yes, I'd love to. Walter and I could come over any time. Will Mike...I don't want him pissed off if we're there, OK? It's no good for Mikhail if we fight. And...I'm too goddam tired to fight."

There was an agreement and Alex hung up the phone. He walked out and found Walter leaning on the wall outside the office. "You listened?"

"I'm too old to run away. I think it's good that you're going there. Well, we're going there. Will Michael Sr. be there?"

"No, not yet. He's not only got problems with me as a traitor, which I'm not, but he hates fags. And I've never hidden the fact that I prefer men. Mikhail asked me once about it. Why I liked men, and I tried to explain it from the genetic standpoint. He asked if he could develop the same thing. And I said, most likely, not. I told him it's something that you know from being a little kid."

"You know that's not true. There are plenty of men, like me, who don't embrace their desires until later in life."

"Walt, he's like nine. He doesn't need to know that. If his dad is giving him hatred lessons, I'd rather the kid hate me than question himself and hate himself. And I don't want him to take his questions to Mike, that'll be a pip. He'd terrorize his son. Mikhail doesn't need that. He can figure out his own life when he needs to."

Walter nodded sagely. He took Alex's hand and led him to the back porch where they sat for the rest of the day, letting the sun cruise across the sky, talking about nothing in particular. Until Alex brought up what happened between them.

"Walter, I want you to know, that every time we tangled, a little part of me died."

Walter started at Alex a long time after that statement. Alex looked away, uncomfortable with the scrutiny. There was truth there. There was honest, raw emotion behind Alex's words and Walter couldn't let it pass.

"There were times I wanted to hate you. Times that I wanted to really pull the trigger, just open a barn door in the back of your head. I'm shocked Mulder accepted the shooting as it was. I mean, you know my gun."

"Your fucking hand canon."

"Yeah, well, that should have opened up the back of your head. It should have caved in your forehead. I hated it."

"You think I wanted to kill him? Christ, he's so goddam gullible. How the hell did he become the fucking chosen one?"

Shaking his head, Walter put his arm around Alex's shoulders and pulled him close. They kissed deeply, and sat there, watching the sun set in the sky, signaling the coming winter.

***

THANKSGIVING DAY
GLEN BURNIE

With his foot holding the storm door open, Alex waited for Walter to get the rest of the desserts out of the car. Alex's hands were full with the two pies that Walter had baked. He enjoyed learning how, watching the blond guy on TV make the crusts. Alex went the easier way and bought pastries from an Italian bakery in Brooklyn Park. Just as Alex was about to ring the doorbell with his elbow, the door swung wide open and Michael Lovell Sr. stood in the space.

Alex looked at him, eye to eye. This had gone very badly the last time they met. Alex dropped his eyes, knowing he needed to defer to Mike in his own house. Mike just cleared his throat and said, "You better get in here, the heat's getting out."

Alex nodded and walked in, going straight through to the kitchen. Marina took his packages, then stopped to hug him tight. Walter walked in next with pies in both hands. Marina took them, then hugged Walter as well. The time they had visited, when Mike was out at work, she fell in love with both of them.

It was something all three were concerned about; how Mike would react to Alex being in the house with his lover, even though that lover was a man her husband had supported as a member of the FBI. He had also thought that Walter was unjustly blamed for the Consortium dealings. It would be an interesting day.

"How is Mikhail?" Alex asked his sister.

"Um...Mikey is OK. He's upstairs sleeping. He's been taking it easy the last few days, so he would be OK to come and have dinner with us."

"Good. Mikey..." Alex winked at his sister, "should rest anyway."

"You know little boys," she said, ruffling his hair.

The moment was interrupted by a loud voice coming closer to the kitchen. Alex and Marina both prepared for a fight between Mike and Walter, but the words that preceded Mike into the room surprised them both.

"Aw, you know what, Walt? Those fucking assholes don't know what the goddam hell is good for them. Americans are just fucking stupid. Need to condemn an innocent man to feel better. Fuck them! You should sue for your job back, or for some cash! Something! I mean, I know you just wanna retire quite-like with Alex, but hey, is that enough for you?"

Walter handed off the pies to Marina, hugging her when she put them down, and turned back to Mike. "Mike, do you honestly believe that life with Alex will ever be dull?"

There was laughter from the adults until a sleepy boy walked in the room, holding a ragged bear in one hand and rubbing his eye with the other. "Mama! You said you'd get me when Alex got here!"

The plaintive whine was pretty piercing. Alex reached down and hoisted the boy into his arms. They shared a tender hug, one that brought moisture to both Walter's and Marina's eyes. "How are you, Mikhail?" Alex asked.

The color rose in Mike's face, but Walter put a hand on his arm. "Alex tells me you're a craftsman? Show me your workshop. I've been making furniture for years."

Mike led Walter out of the house, into the backyard to a shed where the tools were kept. Mike's stride indicated that his anger was still running high. Walter reached out and took hold of Mike's shoulder, pulling gently. "Mike, please, relax."

"I hate that Russian shit. The kid's name is Mike, like mine. Not Mikhail. Like some Commie..."

"Mike, you know as well as I do that the Krycek's came here to escape the Iron Curtain. They wanted their children to be free Americans. Just because Alex holds tight to his Russian heritage isn't cause to get angry. My mother insisted we speak Russian in the house. My father had a devil of a time learning it, but he did."

"You're..."

"Walter Sergei Skinner. My birth name is Vladimir, but the birth certificate was changed to Walter. It's who I am, who Alex is and who your wife is. Now, you can share that, or terrorize your family. You can love them for who they are, or make your wife feel ashamed of who she is."

Mike continued on to the shed, looking back saying, "You coming?"

Walter nodded and followed. In the shed, Mike closed the door and turned on the light. "So...you could teach me some words or something?"

Smiling, Walter said, "Yes, I can teach you some words."

They walked back to the house, to rejoin the family for dinner. Later that day, Marina would ask her husband why he didn't get annoyed with all the Russian that Alex was teaching their son, his answer was, "If it's good for Walter, it's good for me.

***

EPILOGUE

Alex finished writing on the last box, handing it to Walter to put in the front room. Marina walked in and said, "You can stay with us until you're sure your things have arrived in Vancouver. Then you can go out to meet it all."

"No, Marina, we have to go. There's a hotel not too far from the house. I want to go clean it, get food in the fridge, stock the rolls with toilet paper..."

The laughter from his sister brought a frown to Alex's face. "What's so funny?"

"You! Once upon a time, you lived on the run, ducking bullets and aliens, and now you want to stock toilet paper in the bathroom! The last six months have been good to you, I see!"

"Yeah, they have," Alex said, and looked fondly upon Walter's back, as he stacked a kitchen box in the front hall to be taken by the movers the next day. Mike walked out next with another box, followed by Michael with his own smaller box. The young boy had regained most of his health in the last six months, and was in his heaven that his Uncle Alexei was acting as his home-school facilitator. It seemed that when his teacher wasn't his mother, Michael wanted to learn everything he could get his hands on , and some that he wasn't supposed to.

It was a difficult decision to move, but Walter knew that the rocks being thrown through their window, the vandalism to their cars, scratching nasty words on them, and the destruction of their flower bed would continue to escalate. And they did not want to bring violence to their neighborhood.

With help from Mulder, one of the newest world wide ambassadors of peace, he was given asylum by Canada, and he and Alex were secretly relocated to Vancouver, British Columbia. They went on holiday to find a house, and when they decided on one that was far enough from the city, yet not completely in the middle of nowhere, they purchased their land and house and began the move. Marina and Mike were supportive, but Michael was heart broken.

In a surprise move, Mike let Michael stay with Walter and Alex for a week while they were putting their affairs in order, knowing they would protect him with their lives. Alex was impressed with the strides in attitude change that Mike made. He finally understood that Alex was not a criminal and only acted in the best interest of the world without getting himself killed in the process. It took a lot of convincing from Walter, but Mike finally apologized to Alex for all the past aggression. Alex was quick to forgive the man.

Michael walked over to where Alex sat on the floor and nudged his way into Alex's lap. "Uncle, why can't I go? I know I have to stay here for school but...I'm gonna miss you."

"I will miss you, as well. This is the safest thing. And you will come visit us in the summer. The summers are cooler in Vancouver and the lower BC area. Much cooler than Maryland. You'll like it there."

"We can call, and email."

"And instant message and text message. We're going to talk more than we do with us living here."

Michael hugged Alex tightly. The family bade the men goodbye and left them to the last night in their home.

"I'm gonna miss this house," Walter said.

"Why is that?" Alex asked.

"This is where I got you back. But, a new start somewhere else, that's going to be something to share, something that we can have that's as far removed from the past as possible. No more Consortium, no more FBI, no more mistrust and hate. Just you and me."

A knock on the door brought both men up straight, each reaching for their service weapons. Alex's status as an FBI agent had been reestablished under the command of Deputy Director John Doggett, for services above and beyond the call of duty to protect and serve the American people. They flanked the door, Walter peeking out the side window to see who was there. It was John, Mulder, Dana and Monica, there with wine and food for their last night in Maryland. Walter opened the door and holstered his weapon.

"Hey! I thought we were beyond this point in our relationship," Mulder said, eyeing the holster on Walter's hip.

"Hey, can't be too careful." The four entered and Walter led them to the kitchen, where the table and chairs still sat. The movers would handle that in the morning. They spread out the meal on paper plates and plastic cups, lasagna, baked ziti and garlic bread. The red wine flowed easily as well, except for Doggett, who was driving.

By the end of the night, Mulder and Alex were hugging each other, laughing about the Duane Barry case, as well as the case of the sleepless Army soldiers. Mulder couldn't help but rib Alex for his wardrobe.

"Awww, Mulder, and here I thought you'd prefer me naked!" Alex said, laughing.

Mulder stopped laughing. "I never saw you naked." Everyone stopped laughing at that point.

"You almost did, after walking around in that little red Speedo. I nearly assaulted you in the locker room!"

Walter began laughing first, which opened the laughter to the rest of the group. It took a serious turn, then, after Dana had her fourth glass of wine.

"Alex...why me? And my sister?" Quiet settled on the group.

"Red, if I could have stopped Cardinal before he shot your sister, I would have. I'd have taken him out and left the gun there, tell her to say she found the body. He was too quick for me. He knew I wasn't going to kill you."

She nodded. It was the best she would get and she knew it. She didn't expect Alex to get up, cross the room and plant a kiss on her cheek. "I'm sorry, Red. She was a cutie. Runs in the family."

This brought a smile to her face. When finally the four agents left, Walter and Alex helping them into the car, Doggett not anticipating getting them out, Walter sat on the front steps and looked at the neighborhood in the night. The crisp February sky was clear. Orion was making his way across, anticipating the scorpion that would chase him from the summer night skies.

"I'm going to miss things around here."

"So will I, Walter. Even though I haven't been here for very long. It's home to me. It's more of a home than I've known since I was a kid. It's the only place I've found to be comforting."

Walter put his arm around Alex's shoulders and kissed his cheek. "Any place we settle together will be home."

Alex put his head on Walter's shoulder and nuzzled. "Hey Walt?"

"Yes?"

"Can I have a dog?"

Walter laughed. "You can have anything you want."

"Thanks."

The End