RATales Archive

A Second Chance For Krycek

by Carly


Title: A Second Chance for Krycek
Author: Carly
E-Mail: Ponyjumpin@aol.com
Rating: PG (language)
Category: T , X
Spoilers: Sleepless, Tunguska, The Red And The Black, SR819, One Son
Keywords: Scully/Krycek Partnership
Summary: Krycek's plans all go to hell, now he and Scully must fight for their lives a top a familiar building in New York.
Archive: Anywhere, thank you
Feedback: Please!
Disclaimer: The X-Files and the characters therein are property of Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and 20th Century Fox. The only profit I get from them is when I hold them hostage in my closet and charge my friends admission to see them after school.


"We can't be certain who the villains are, 'cause everyone's so pretty."
--Sheryl Crow

Scully had not come to trust Krycek. Not in the least bit. And she most certainly hadn't come close to understanding him. But something inside her had definitely changed since that moment he slid into the backseat of Mulder's Taurus and once again slid back into their lives. Reasoning trust and understanding out, Scully decided she was still in a comfortable state of indifference toward this enigmatic character. But it wasn't the same indifference she felt on that first day she met him, those years ago, when she ignored his outreached hand. No, today Scully's feelings of indifference toward Krycek were on a higher plane, the indifference dangled above her red head on a fine string of subtle acknowledgment.

Like a snake, Krycek had slithered back into the picture. Not one of those skinny, elusive tree snakes; but a forceful python that grabs hold of it's prey and demands it's attention. Mulder kept a good eye on Krycek as he sat in the backseat of the Taurus. Thoughts of the evidence Mulder had discovered, the words of his informants, and the dark men they were now teaming against all told Mulder to: "Trust him, you need his help, afterall he's on your side now." But with the history Mulder and Krycek had, full-blind trust was out of the question. Mulder's trust for Krycek was like a wife's trust for her adulterer husband who is in counselling.

Krycek had something both Mulder and Scully wanted, and he knew what he could gain from this partnership. It would have been the perfect business deal had it not been wrapped in all that emotional baggage. It was amusing really, the circumstances that Krycek always managed to find himself in never ceased to amaze him. "The Deal", as Krycek called it, had been worked out through a middleman that both Krycek and Mulder knew well. Most importantly it was someone Mulder trusted. The clues and evidence had been strategically placed so Mulder would find them. Arrangements had been made so the FBI wouldn't get involved. They got the information that was necessary, but the nitty-gritty had to remain confidential between the team of Krycek and his Mulder and Scully. Finally, it was time for "The Deal" to go down. The first time Krycek had spoken with Mulder and Scully regarding their arrangement was in the cozy confines of Mulder's Taurus, there was no going back. This would be the team that would expose the Syndicate.

So while driving up to New York the trio had discussed "The Deal" in full. Then Mulder and Scully questioned Krycek about specific items in their agreement, partially for clarification but mostly to fill up the tense dead air that filled the inside of the car. After all the items that could possibly be discussed were discussed, and after Mulder had made it clear to Krycek that he didn't trust him in the least bit, the conversation dissipated and once again the tension lingered. This gap in conversation gave Krycek the chance to once again ponder how ingenious he was. He had managed to make connections with a powerful Syndicate of men who planned a conspiracy to take over the world, a league of rebel aliens, Russian scientists, and two FBI agents who were trying to figure it all out. And of course, Krycek himself would ultimately come out on top; and most-likely save the fate of the world and the human race doing it. The people Krycek attracted, it was like ants to a melted tootsie pop. His plans would have gone so smooth, like butter, if everything hadn't gone to Hell.

First, the whole 'Skinner-thing'. The nanos seemed like such a good idea, knowing he could never gain Skinner's confidence anyother way then by physical force. But Krycek didn't realize that Skinner knew more about everything than he let on. Now the man had grown into a Grade-A pain in the ass. One thing Skinner didn't have was the 411 on "The Deal". Krycek had hoped he could keep Skinner out of it completely but his own ignorance and his desire for revenge on Krycek almost resulted in a complete undermining of "The Deal". Information about Krycek's plans had been leaked to a lower-lever Syndicate member (Oh, why couldn't they all have been flamed?). The only thing that could be done was to exterminate this person.

The more people that got involved, the more difficult it began to stop the leakage of information. When information did reach a certain high-level person (a someone with a need for some Nicoderm CQ (TM)) the universal solution for everything was put into place: abduct Scully. Luckily he didn't receive any information about Krycek's involvement. Thus, this situation posed a unique opportunity for Krycek when he was assigned to be the one to do the job.

Wary of Krycek's plans, Scully discussed the situation with Mulder who felt that this opportunity would be an excellent chance to gain information from inside the Syndicate. However, Mulder didn't trust Krycek so he offered to go in place of Scully. Insisting it wouldn't work, Krycek told them something about 'turning one man's religion into a crusade'.

Blindfolded, handcuffed, and feigning unconsciousness, Scully laid in the backseat of the Syndicate's car as Krycek repeatedly told her that he would make sure she was safe. She wished their plans had been given to the FBI, should the need for assistance arise. At the steering wheel, Krycek informed Scully of a room where the Syndicate kept it's sensitive files. He had only been able to gain access once, but he was pretty sure he could sneak Scully into the room where she could make sense of the information using her medical knowledge. But alas, nothing went as planned.

***

10 Stories Up

Now Scully and Krycek were precariously clinging to life 10 stories above 68th street, hoping the ledge underneath their feet would hold out; and also hoping the Syndicate members believed that they had left the building. The pained expression on Krycek's refined features told Scully that he was indeed frightened. She would once again have to play hero. Dusk was falling over New York, the temperature was quickly dropping and the mist of rain slowly began blowing against the side of the building. The chill draped itself over Scully's exposed skin, and then began to creep into the openings of Scully's clothes. Seeping into the sleeves of Scully's light, cotton jacket; and around her legs underneath her skirt. Her skin felt tight from the wind chill, as though if she moved a muscle she would shatter into a million tiny peaces. But then the focus of her attention turned to the frightened man fighting for life beside her.

She could feel his body slowly lurch forward. Throwing her left arm across his chest she pinned him back against the side of the building and grabbed a hold of the storm drain on the right side of him. Her front was facing the building and her arm was now bracing Krycek from tumbling forward to his death.

"I gotcha," she whispered, hoping he'd hear her, "If neither of us move we'll be allright."

A shuddering sound came from Krycek in response. And then he started to speak. His forehead creased in concentration. "These men aren't going to stay here all night," he murmured, "when they leave, you'll be able see their car come from the left side of the building," he sighed deeply, "and then we'll know it's safe."

"That's good, that's good," Scully hoped Krycek could hear her when she whispered, her face only came up to his biceps and the wind was now howling through the city. "I've got a good view of the street from my angle." She lied.

It had to be hours that went by. The light clothing they wore was no match for this onset of intense weather. Icy rain whipped itself against the structure and the two microscopic ants who clung to it for their survival. Chilled to the bone, Scully tried to control her convulsive shivering by clenching every muscle she could. She grabbed tighter to the storm drain, pinning herself against Krycek and the building. Her hands were beyond numb, the persistent stinging in her knuckles had subsided, Scully could only hope that her hands held on as tight as they could. Freezing water trickled all over her body. Her medical knowledge told her that both her and Krycek were in danger of hypothermia and Pneumonia.

His mind began thinking strange things. The intense fear was overwhelming. If he just stepped off this ledge he could rest, the pain of fear would be gone, and he would escape this damned cold. But the woman next to him brought him back to reality. Like a rock she was unshakable, Scully clung to that building with every ounce of strength in that tiny body. She was hard, like he used to be, but now he was so tired. Krycek knew that she didn't trust him or even like him, but she had risked her own life for him. Mulder, the dumbass, didn't appreciate what a great thing it was to have Scully's trust. But how could Krycek ever expect to gain it? Scully only knew of Krycek what Mulder told her, and Mulder was a self-absorbed prick. What was he thinking? Why would he need Scully's trust. Krycek was going to save himself . Nothing about Mulder and Scully should concern him. In the vast expanse of blackness bellow him Krycek saw two white beacons, headlights, like a banner saying: "My God! You survived this one too."

"Scully, Scully!" He whispered excitedly, "They left. They're gone Scully"

Still gripping to the side of the building, but half unconscious, Scully could barely make out the message. Something was wrong with his voice, Krycek couldn't speak above a whisper. But in a cracked voice he attempted to tell Scully:

"We have to get inside the building. Help me open this window, Scully."

But she was practically lifeless. With his good hand he loosened the grip Scully had on the storm drain, freeing himself from her embrace. Then he opened the window. The trick would be getting Scully inside. Slick with rain the ledge they were standing on was a major obstacle. Another obstacle would be his own handicap. Wrapping his good arm around Scully's petite body he drug her through the opening in the window. The two wet bodies collapsed to the floor in convulsions of coughing and shivering.

"Mulder," Scully forced out of her lungs, "We have to call Mulder, he'll help us."

Dragging herself across the floor to the oak desk with the phone on top of it, Scully cursed the Syndicate member who took her cell phone. The trip from one end of the room took all of her strength, she had to take a breather before she dialed the number. She laid on her back and pulled the phonecord which hung down the side of the desk, the phone fell beside her and she dialed Mulder's cell phone.

Scully struggled for consciousness, "Mulder, Mulder," she finally gasped, "It's me." Then she succumbed to the darkness. Krycek clenched his jaw in concentration and used what little strength he had to dive for the phone.

"Mulder!" Krycek strained a whisper.

"Goddammit, Krycek what's going on? What happened to Scully?" Mulder was desperate

He concentrated hard on getting his throat to work, "You...have...to...get....here....now. Send...ambulence." And then he dropped the phone.

Laying there on the floor besides Scully, Krycek only seemed to get colder. Inside the building he still felt his body temperature dropping. But he forced himself to sit up, take off his leather jacket and wrap it around Scully. She was completely limp. The determination and strength she had when she was clinging to life outside was gone. He urgently rubbed her arms with his good hand to try and increase bloodflow. Then, he heard what sounded like a click.

An adrenaline rush hit Krycek full force. He stood up and ran to the source of the sound. It was just as he suspected. A bomb was set to destroy the building. The men must have been clearing the place out and relocating. That's why they took so long in leaving. They weren't searching for the traitor and the abductee. They knew the place was going to be destroyed anyway. Anger seized him and Krycek kicked the device.

"Sonsofbitches." He yelled in a hoarse voice.

Almost mocking him the countdown clock on the device began to rapidly speed up. The adrenaline force Krycek into consciousness, he sprinted over to where Scully's body lay. And hovered over her.

"There's a bomb, Scully, we have to get out of here."

He lifted her up and carried her, cradeling her between his good and prosthetic arm. Calculating the time on the clock and the rate it speeded up after the unfortunate accident Krycek guessed that their chances for making it out of the building in time were slim to none. His breathing was labored as he rushed down the stairs of the ancient building with Scully. The cold was still there, and after the brief adrenaline rush began to wear off his whole body returned to feeling weak like jelly. The decent down the staircase became slower and shakier. His knees gave out and he tumbled hard down on the wooden steps. Scully was thrown against the wall and knocked back to consciousness. He just laid there on the steps for a moment, taking slow deep breaths, gathering the oxygen that he desperately needed. Stinging pain raced through his body from the combination of the cold and the fall.

"Krycek, you go ahead now. I'll be right behind you." Scully groaned.

He turned to her, "are you sure, Scully?"

"Yes, Krycek, just go. I'll be fine."

Reluctantly he rose to his feet and continued down the stairs. Without Scully.

She just needed to rest here on this step for a moment. Scully hugged her knees and rested her chin on them. The violence of the shaking continued as her body was attempting to warm itself. So tired, she thought. And she closed her eyes again.

***

The Cold

Without the burden of carrying Scully, Krycek was able to drag himself down the stairs more efficiently. As he reached the lobby of the building he could see figures outside. Moving closer and closer to the building until finally the broke down the glass french doors and invaded it.

"Where is she?" Mulder yelled.

The figure standing before him looked like nothing more than a blur. He blinked and then he felt his knees begin to buckle again. Mulder lifted Krycek up by his shirt and pinned him against the wall.

"Where is she?" He repeated, more angered and panicked.

"We...have...to...get...out...bomb...bomb," Krycek managed, "she's...here...we...have...to...go"

The other FBI agents that invaded the building were already going up the stairs. "No!" Krycek yelled hoarsely, "There's...a bomb.." Mulder let go of Krycek, who slumped to the floor. When he heard a familiar voice.

"We have to get out of here, there's a bomb!" The weak voice yelled. But it was the voice of Scully who was dragging herself across the lobby. Mulder grabbed onto Scully and guided her out of the building. The other agents followed. Picking himself up, Krycek jogged lamely after them. A rush of flames and heat engulfed the structure, windows blew out and the force of the blast threw Krycek to the ground; onto the cold, wet street.

Scully and Krycek were put in the hospital for recuperation. They both suffered from hypothermia. Doctors were able to stabilize them before any permanent damage was done. Everyday Mulder came to visit Scully while she was in the hospital. Skinner brought her flowers, Melvin Frohike brought her chocolates on behalf of the Lone Gunman and Scully's mom and brother Bill came to wish her well. When all her visitors left Scully pilled blankets on top of herself but she still wasn't able to rid herself of the cold.

Nobody came to visit Krycek. Then a day before she was to be released, Scully disconnected her I.V. and showed the armed guard outside of Krycek's room her badge. He was asleep when she saw him. A bluish hue draped itself over Krycek's skin, but his cheeks and upturned nose were red. His eyes were also bloodshot and red when he opened them. A surprised look appeared on his face when he saw Scully beside his hospital bed. To Scully it appeared that he was going to say something but Scully began talking first.

"I want to thank you, Krycek," her voice was back to normal, "for your assistance in this operation."

He smirked. "You should take that back before you regret it, Scully."

"The fact is, you were on our side all along, weren't you?" She asked inquisitively.

"I wouldn't say that. See, in this game, there are no sides. It's every man for himself. You and Mulder may be in this as a team, but you have your own reasons don't you? I hope so, because I would hate to see you get sunk in his ship. I hope you brought your life boat Scully, because from here on out these are rough waters."

"They're going to try and kill you Krycek, that is if they know your alive. I'm going to try and convince the FBI to let you keep your immunity. You know, even though things didn't work out as planned. We'll get you in a witness protection program..."

"I wouldn't worry too much," he said somewhat slyly, "I think everything is going to work out all right."

There was no way Scully could ever be indifferent about Krycek again. In those hours, on the side of that building, where they had barely said anything to eachother a silent partnership was born. A partnership not out of trust, or expectations from the other person. But a partnership of allegiance. It was something Mulder could never understand.

The next day, when Scully went to Krycek's room before she left the hospital the armed guard and Krycek were both gone. When she asked Mulder if Krycek was released, he went to the nurses and asked for information. They told them that the do remember him, but there were no records of him ever being in the hospital.

Scully turned to Mulder, "I wouldn't worry too much. I have a feeling everything's going to be okay."

The End