RATales Archive

Season Six:
Episode 23

by Pic


Disclaimers in Part 1


A large house
Suburban Maryland
8:05 pm

Alex Krycek and Dana Scully parked in frong of the Eldest's large home. As soon as he'd moved around the car from the driver's side and joined Scully on the sidewalk, Alex reached for her hand. Scully smiled up at him, beginning to enjoy herself despite the seriousness of the situation. She'd been ready when he'd arrived to pick her up. Had her coat on, buttoned to the neck against the cool damp weather outside, making him wait to see her evening wear -- a dress that she'd purchased with a measure of guilt at his expense. Dana had seen it in a New York boutique and couldn't resist. And she'd been wondering whether she'd ever have an occasion to wear it. When they reached the door, Krycek paused, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Dana squeezed his hand supportively and was rewarded with a shy smile. Classical music played in the interior of the house in response to the doorbell.

Moments later, the door opened. Jennifer herself stood just inside the threshold, a hand remaining on the brass knob, her deep green gown barely appearing capable of continuing to contain her breasts. "Welcome," she murmured, moving closer to Alex and smiling at him. "Both of you." Jennifer's statement included Scully, but her attention was focused only on Krycek as the guests walked past her into the foyer.

Dana took in their opulent surroundings, appreciating the less ostentatious aspects. Krycek tried, unsuccessfully, to keep Dana between he and the other woman. Jennifer closed in, snaked her arms around his neck and pressed against him. Without hesitation, Alex reached back, firmly took her hands and brought them down between their bodies. That maneuver brought a truly magnificent pout to Jennifer's face. Avoiding the show being put on for his benefit, Krycek glanced toward Scully. She'd removed her coat and was watching him with one arched eyebrow.

In an instant, Krycek was overwhelmed. Dana looked like she'd stepped out of a 1940's vintage film -- a leading lady dressed all in black, the color setting off her pale skin, light eyes and red hair. "Oh my," he breathed, taking a step toward her without realizing that he was still holding Jennifer's hands. Experiencing resistance, he looked down to see what the problem was. Embarrassed, he let go and shrugged helplessly at Dana. "You look ... exquisite."

Scully smiled and gracefully moved to his side, observing that his eyes tracked her appreciatively. "You're staring."

"Is that a problem?"

"It's a trifle rude. Our hostess is waiting." Although her words were scolding as she took his arm, her tone and demeanor were very different. It'd been a long time since a man had looked at her like that -- as though he was incapable of looking away. Scully wasn't sure how much of the rapt attention being paid to her was for Jennifer's benefit and she didn't particularly care. It felt good.

"Not quite fashionably late and rude on top of it," Krycek commented softly as he made an effort to direct his attention to the matter at hand. "Not an auspicious beginning. Sorry, Jennifer. I appear to've misplaced the manners my mother tried so hard to instill."

For the first time in Scully's view, Jennifer smiled genuinely. "I'm sure she didn't cover this particular situation, Alex. Shall we?"

Neither Scully nor Krycek failed to notice the large number of obviously armed, black suited men that they passed as they followed Jennifer's lead. They served quite well as a glaring reminder of the daunting nature of their task.

***

[Cue Xfiles theme music and several commercials.]

"Are you ready?"

Her former lover was standing in the doorway of Mrs. Mulder's home, as she replied, "No. I'm not. Please come in, and I'll explain."

The Cigarette Smoking Man crossed the threshold, following her into the interior of the house.

"Would you like something to drink?" she asked, voice tense.

"No," he responded absently, coming to a halt a few paces away from her in the kitchen. When she looked up at him a bit worriedly, he smiled and took a cigarette out of his pack of Morleys. "Don't worry. It's me."

"Really?"

Realizing that she truly was nervous, although trying to mask it with her version of bravado, he considered how to demonstrate his identity. "You have a passion for detective novels and French vanilla ice cream as well as a small birthmark on your left shoulder. You despise the first name that Bill selected for your son. There's a small clearing in the woods behind your summer house that has a flat spot ideal for picnics. We made love on six occasions on a blanket in that clearing. Satisfied?"

Smiling slightly, she nodded.

"Good. Now, what's this about not going? If our 'colleagues' are becoming brazen enough to use my form, you're not safe here. I've considered supplemental security options, and found them lacking."

Shrugging, she explained, "I assume you know that Fox has been shot. I only left the hospital, because I'd arranged to meet you. I need to get back."

He frowned, watching her open the refrigerator and stare in, seeming to forget what she'd wanted. Trying to cut through her preoccupation, he insisted, "No. You need to pack. At least a week's worth of clothes. Your personal items, a few books and the like. You know the drill."

"I won't abandon my son!"

"I'm not asking you to do anything of the sort. We'll put you in a hotel in the vicinity of the hospital. And alter your location every two or three days." He noted her moue of distaste, as he outlined his plan. She had always disliked complications, moving about and strangers and most likely always would.

She was pragmatic, though and had a keen understanding of the complications of the world in which she'd raised her son. Those traits surged to the fore as she said, "I intend to spend as much time as they'll let me at the hospital. And to encourage Fox to recuperate at the cabin. Will either pose a problem?"

"I'll manage."

"Are you certain? I don't want to subject Fox to any additional risk, if I can help it."

He met her eyes without hesitation, trying to communicate some of his confidence to her. "Mr. Skinner will likely have the hospital situation well in hand. I'll have a look at his arrangements and augment as necessary. He'll also assign a security detail to Fox, regardless of where his rehabilitation takes place." Smiling slightly, he added, "At least until he gets well enough to lose them. And Agent Scully will insist that her partner be maximally protected. I doubt there'll be a square foot unaccounted for but, if there is, my men will be there."

The woman considered briefly and found his plan to be reasonable. As far as she could tell, he'd taken everything into account. "All right. Let me get my things. I won't be long."

Cigarette Smoking Man exhaled a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, relief evident.

***

Jennifer had seen to it that the guests were served the beverage of their choice. Krycek opted for single barrel bourbon, anticipating that Robert would as well. Scully had a glass of merlot. The hostess herself was rapidly consuming champagne. Jennifer struck Scully as excited and nervous, looking at her watch every minute or so. But that didn't appear to impact her ability to make small talk or to flirt with Alex. He kept his left arm securely around Scully's small waist, while offering verbal parries to Jennifer's thrusts.

Regarding the couple, Jennifer admitted that she hadn't expected Scully to accompany Krycek this evening after what Alex had done to Mulder. Surely Krycek wasn't that good in bed. Was any man talented enough to make Scully overlook his very substantial "indiscretion" with regard to her FBI partner? Watching Scully smile at something Krycek whispered in her ear, Jennifer's curiosity overcame her solemn vow to ignore the other woman. "Agent Scully ..."

"Dana, please. There's no need to be so formal."

Jennifer nodded, watching Scully lean back into Krycek's chest, his arm tightening around her. "Dana, then. I must admit that I'm struck by your acceptance of Alex's actions."

"What's not to accept?" Her words were casual, her posture at ease, both seemingly unexpected. All of which Scully was justifiably proud.

"I would never have guessed that you'd understand his rather rough treatment of Fox Mulder." Dana glanced quickly at Krycek, eyes questioning. She hadn't anticipated the topic of Mulder being broached and had no idea what Alex wanted Jennifer to know in that regard.

Krycek winked at Dana before directing his attention to the other woman. "Mulder's injuries have been overstated. He'll be released from the hospital this evening with his recovery characterized as remarkable."

Jennifer stared at Krycek. He was smiling. She wasn't. "What are you up to, Alex?"

"Stirring the pot."

"For what purpose?"

"To see what happens," he replied with a shrug. You'd be amazed at what you can discover that way. Without wasting a whole lot of time and effort."

"What exactly are you looking to find?"

"One of the Jeremiah Smiths, I imagine." The three young people turned at the sound of a more venerable voice. Robert was standing just over the threshold of the drawing room. When he had the attention of the others, he moved slowly toward them, addressing Krycek. "I trust you went through the exercise of monitoring movements of funds, personnel and the like. I would've. Just to muddy the waters." With a smile, Robert extended his hand.

Krycek shook it, smiling back. "The first Smith to leave the employ of the Social Security Office has been maintaining an extremely low profile, giving those that knew of his location and activities an unfair advantage."

"I feared that they had managed to convince you of that. A most unfortunate situation. Tell me, Agent Scully, do you concur with that misguided notion?"

Dana was unsure what to think of the older man. He gave the impression of being accustomed to and comfortable with command and had the concomitant dislike of surprises or anything that smacked of insubordination. Krycek had warned her that Robert was dangerous, more dangerous than Cancerman. She hadn't believed him but she was beginning to now. "I don't have enough information to judge. But I ... trust Alex." Scully had turned toward the man at her side as she spoke the final two words, so only Krycek could see her uncertainty regarding her admission.

"Bad judgment layered on top of bad judgment," Robert observed dryly. "Nothing good can come of this."

Krycek didn't like the strong undercurrent of discontent and anger in Eldest's tone, so he challenged, "If my information isn't accurate, correct it. I'm listening."

"The time for that is past, Alex. You've made your choices and you have to live with them. But look on the bright side, you won't have to suffer the indignity of failure for very long." Robert raised his glass toward Krycek, eyes cold and implacable. "To colonization."

Dana felt Alex's muscles tense. Her concern increased as she watched Alex raise his glass murmuring, "On our terms." The anger in Robert's eyes was apparent and further manifested in a refusal to drink to the toast as Krycek had modified it.

"What might those be?" Jennifer inquired sweetly, but her eyes were devoid of emotion, reminiscent of a doll's eyes or a shark's.

Alex replied, "Acceptable terms haven't, as yet, been identified."

"Nor will they by the group of men with whomyou've aligned yourself," Eldest noted. "What you don't understand, Alex -- what they've never understood -- is that there's no choice. Colonization will proceed apace. All that you'll accomplish by resisting is speeding up the time table. Is that what you want?" The Eldest saw uncertainty in the boy's eyes, but no weakness. William had chosen his protégé well. Too bad his good judgment hadn't extended to the cause he'd decided to back.

"If that's the necessary consequence of resistance, yes."

Intrigued by Krycek's response, Scully observed the interaction closely, knowing that Alex couldn't concentrate as much as he'd like on gauging reactions and interpreting body language. Jennifer looked tense, moving restlessly. Robert was evaluating, assessing. Alex was outwardly calm and thoughtful, but he was holding onto Dana like she was a life preserver.

"So you'd take it on yourself to say 'Bring them on' when the odds are so strongly in their favor?" Eldest asked derisively. "Who do you think you are, boy?"

"The odds aren't getting any better and aren't likely to, are they? Despite what your Consortium colleagues believe."

"That's an interesting observation Alex," Robert observed with a smile and a shrug. "One that makes me curious about where you get your information. The vaccine research is going well as are our efforts in nanotechnology. And the Rebels are another hurdle for the Colonists to jump."

"The Consortium has been dealing with this situation for fifty years, Alex," Jennifer broke in with quiet intensity, moving closer to the man she was trying to convince. "They've made strides, but they aren't ready to fight."

Dana Scully felt useless. She couldn't participate meaningfully in this conversation, much less help Alex fight his verbal battle. All she could do was maintain physical contact, communicating her support that way. He seemed to appreciate her efforts, so she didn't anticipate that he'd move away from all of them toward the bar to refresh his drink and collect his thoughts.

Not looking at the others, Krycek spoke softly. "The vaccine research hasn't advanced in over a year. Unless we get extremely lucky, it's as good as it's going to get. Nanos are coming on line, but they're unlikely to be more than a tool to persuade humans to the correct way of thinking for some time to come. As for the Rebels, who really understands them or how they relate to the incubating form of the black oil? Who's considered the possible implications of their appearance last year, including the very real and, to be honest, frightening possibility that they might not actually be Rebels? Have you, Robert? To my knowledge, no one else has."

Jennifer's jaw dropped, her eyes quickly moving to Robert. The Eldest gazed at the younger man thoughtfully. In many ways, Krycek's analysis of the situation matched his own. How had they ended up on opposite sides? He was sure that he had David and Russell to thank for that and perhaps their smoking friend as well. No matter. The die was cast. Alex was here to take something from him, if he could find it, obtain it and escape with it. And even then, success was far from assured. The boy was gambling and the stakes were very very high. Although Robert would never admit it aloud, even to himself, he wished Alex well. If he could actually pull this off ... The Eldest quashed that train of thought abruptly. It was useless to indulge in wishful thinking. Instead, he attacked, "So you think you've got all the answers?"

Finally, Alex looked back at the other three. "No. But I've got the questions. That's more than half the battle."

***

Assistant Director Walter Skinner moved purposefully through Baltimore General Hospital. Without hesitation or particular hurry, Skinner approached Special Agent Fox Mulder's hospital room. No one challenged his right to be there. He found it interesting, but that was what he'd been led to expect by Dana Scully earlier this evening. She'd come to his apartment dressed to the nines, demanding to talk to him. Skinner had had no plans, no place to be and no one expecting him, as was usual these days. So he'd admitted her and listened to her story. Uhurt and conspiring with Alex Krycek unbeknownst to Scully seemed far from prudent behaviorally, even for Mulder. Skinner had the distinct impression that Scully's wrath would be visited upon both of the younger men before too long. There had been controlled anger underlying her narrative. After hearing her tale, he'd agreed to spring Mulder from the hospital at the appointed time -- 9:30 pm. Skinner didn't know why that was important, and would wager that Scully didn't either, another annoyance for the young woman.

As he moved toward his destination, Skinner frowned in concentration, considering his other activities of the day. More particularly, he was mentally reviewing the story told by the documents in the file he'd read that afternoon, one that he'd gone to great lengths to obtain as quietly and discretely as possible. The story didn't hold together. It wasn't gaps so much as subtle inconsistencies. There wasn't enough evidence to move on, but that didn't alter the fact that Walter Skinner no longer trusted Special Agent Diana Fowley. The question that remained was what to do about it.

Pushing that problem aside, he opened the door to Mulder's room. Despite Scully's assertions, Skinner was unprepared for the sight that greeted his eyes.

"Finally!" Mulder exclaimed. "I thought I was going to die of boredom in here. They don't even have cable." Fox Mulder had traded in his hospital gown for black jeans, a black turtle neck and a black leather jacket. He had so much energy; he was practically bouncing in place. "Where's Scully? She and Krycek go after the device?"

"She didn't say, but she looked like she was going to the opera."

"Huh? The opera?"

"Black evening wear, Mulder. Maybe Krycek's finally taking her somewhere nice." The thunderous look on Mulder's face didn't surprise Skinner. The Assistant Director had had a front row seat for Mulder's growing respect and affection for his partner. No matter what peace Mulder could forge with Krycek, the détente would remain fragile. Scully would continue to come between them.

"No time for that tonight," Mulder muttered, moving toward the door.

"Why's that?"

"Alex needs an apparatus to take care of something that's scheduled for tomorrow evening. At moonrise, if I'm reading the symbols right. On Skyland Mountain. Scully's implant will allow her to help him get it. That's what they're up to, wardrobe choice notwithstanding. I've got to find Diana, and ..."

"Mulder, I'd like you to take a look at something." When the special agent looked up curiously, Skinner continued, "It's a summary of a report that Agent Fowley submitted to me yesterday morning. I think you'll find it interesting."

Meeting Skinner's eyes warily, Mulder accepted the single piece of paper. The Assistant Director merely waited, as Mulder scanned the document. Fox frowned, and modified his technique, now reading word for word and with increasing ire. Why was Diana trying to undermine Scully? That didn't make any sense. And detain Krycek? Alex was no use to Mulder, if he wasn't executing the plan. None at all. What was Diana thinking? "She just doesn't understand," he finally stated aloud.

"Don't be so certain of that, Agent Mulder."

"What are you saying?"

"Agent Fowley's file has some disturbing inconsistencies. I'm not at all certain of the purity of her motives."

"You're starting to sound like Scully. Look. You may not have confidence in Diana, but I do. I've known her for years. We found the XFiles together. She's always been loyal to them and to me."

Skinner simply asked, "And that ... loyalty manifested itself in an attack, couched in official rhetoric, on Agent Scully?"

Mulder sighed loudly, raising a hand to his forehead to rub his temple. "No. That's a completely separate issue. I think she's just frustrated that Scully hasn't accepted her. She can sense the distrust. And it galls, especially since Scully doesn't exercise the same caution with respect to Krycek."

"Sounds like a rationalization to me, Mulder. But, let's get past that, shall we? Krycek doesn't trust her, because ...?"

Mulder looked up quickly, seemingly concerned. "Alex doesn't ...?"

Skinner noted with interest the casual use of Krycek's first name. "No. Alex doesn't. Was quite emphatic about it, as a matter of fact. Used the term "double agent" in reference to her. Maybe it takes one to know one."

"Did he know for sure or was he guessing?"

"An educated guess. He admitted as much, but he was confident about it, Mulder."

Fox Mulder sat down on the edge of his hospital bed, clearly troubled but applying his not insignificant intellect to the matter.

That was a step in the right direction in Skinner's view, so he encouraged, "I think you should review the file I've compiled before you draw any conclusions."

The younger man nodded assent and stood quickly, anxious to be moving. "Let's do it."

***

Dinner had been a silent affair, the tension level extremely high. Dana hadn't eaten much and neither had Alex. Also, she'd noted with approval that he'd stopped drinking. And so had she, not even finishing her first merlot. Despite an apparent lack of appetite for food, Jennifer had continued her steady champagne consumption, her eyes locked on Alex. Robert ate methodically and well, sipping his wine, seemingly amused by the reaction of the younger people to the atmosphere.

Finally, it became obvious that even Eldest was done eating. Robert rang a small bell and members of his staff cleared the china. While they did, Eldest asked, "Shall we move on to dessert, or would you like to tour my art gallery first, Alex?"

Eldest's eyes were amused and Krycek glanced at him warily. "I'm not much for dessert, Robert. But I am something of an art aficionado. So I vote for the tour. Dana?"

Scully smiled across the table at Krycek, observing that he was studiously avoiding any eye contact with Jennifer. From the resigned look he'd worn throughout the meal, Dana anticipated that other contact, hidden by the tabletop, had been impossible to avoid. "I think we should do whatever's most convenient for our host."

"Thank you, my dear. Your grace and charm has made bearable what otherwise would've been a most trying evening." As he spoke, Robert rose and walked toward Scully, taking her right hand in both of his. "But I share Alex's desire to move forward, so I hope you can accept a delay in our enjoyment of chocolate mousse and tawny port."

"I'll survive, Robert," Scully murmured as she allowed Eldest to assist her to her feet. Both Dana and Robert glanced across the table at the others. Krycek had stood, waiting for the young woman to his right to do the same. He had to move quickly to help Jennifer remain on her feet. She had the wherewithal to take advantage of the situation that her mild inebriation had created for her, wrapping her arms around Alex's waist and resting her head on his shoulder. That opportunism aroused Scully's suspicions that her incapacity was feigned.

"We'll settle my niece in the drawing room before we go on." Neither Robert nor Dana missed Krycek's grateful look, although Scully was trying to figure out the reason for Jennifer's charade. Was it to allow Jennifer to marshal the black suits? Scully thought it likely but her contemplations were disrupted by her growing amusement. Jennifer was certainly enjoying her role.

To expedite matters, Alex picked Jennifer up and carried her to the next room, ignoring her enthusiasm concerning her changed circumstances as best as he could. Extricating himself from her clutches was not completely straightforward, but Krycek managed to do it with his bow tie untied and two shirt studs missing. Recognizing that a negotiation to get them back from the young woman was likely to be protracted, Krycek accepted their loss and joined the others.

Robert watched with a neutral expression while Dana used a tissue to remove Jennifer's lipstick from Krycek's skin. She grinned impishly at her escort who scowled in response. When their eyes met and held, Scully's expression became more affectionate. Observing Krycek relax in response, Eldest felt it wise to interject, "Shall we?"

The current and former FBI agents nodded in near unison and followed Robert's lead, proceeding at a sedate pace down a very long hallway. Dana couldn't help but admire the hardwood floors and turn of the century accents along the way. A right turn near the end of the hall led to an elevator lobby.

As they waited for the elevator, Krycek wondered why Robert was escorting them himself with no hired guns in evidence. It couldn't be that he was just going to let them look, could it? More likely that he was seeing if they could find what they were seeking and access it before he tried to take it from them. Alex Krycek didn't like things he didn't understand, so he tried to "invent" a scenario that made sense of the facts during the seemingly interminable elevator ride to the third floor.

"Alex?" Scully murmured.

Krycek met Scully's concerned glance with a tentative smile. She wasn't satisfied with that. He could tell, but there was nothing to be done about that at this point, not with the Eldest observing closely. Best to just get on with it. "Anything you're particularly proud of in your collection, Robert?"

"My artifacts -- gifts from the colonists. Those are my most prized possessions." Eldest smiled at the surprise in Krycek's eyes and the skepticism in Scully's. Nothing less than what he anticipated. This would be as interesting as he'd hoped. "Here we are," he noted as the three stopped before a large set of light gray metal doors that reminded Alex of those he'd seen in the spaceship. He felt his heart rate increase, his breathing becoming shallow and rapid. Mentally assuring himself of his more mundane surroundings didn't diminish his unease.

"Alex? Are you all right?" Scully's voice seemed to be coming from very far away. With an effort, Alex Krycek turned his head toward her. Why was it so difficult? His head felt like it weighed about a hundred pounds. What was happening? A glance at Robert brought a stab of fear. He looked inordinately satisfied and oddly expectant.

"Alex?" Scully was right next to him now, checking his pulse and his temperature, wiping the cold sweat from his brow. In an effort to re-establish control, Krycek shut his eyes. It was almost the last mistake in a career featuring more than a few.

Increasingly alarmed, Scully repeated, "Alex?"

Robert noted, "He's remembering, my dear. Recalling a most intense and challenging experience. When he told me about it, I feigned disbelief. I didn't perceive the need to tell him that it was, in part, my idea. That would've only confused the issue." Scully's questioning look led Robert to an interesting realization. "He hasn't told you what happened to him when my colleagues and I sent him on that desert mission, has he? I wonder what that means. Don't you?"

Ignoring his attempt to goad her, she sought more information. "They don't look like fond memories."

"They aren't. But don't worry. He's beyond that."

"Beyond? On to what?"

"Something new. It may well kill him and us, if we're not careful."

Their attention was drawn back to Alex by a harsh groan. He was leaning against the doors, obviously in pain but trying to ignore it. He seemed to be arguing, speaking forcefully and at length in Russian at first and then in what sounded to be a combination of Russian and French.

Occasionally, Scully picked up an English word or phrase. Not enough to make sense of what he was saying, beyond the fact that he seemed to be refusing something since the word "No" figured prominently.

After several minutes, Krycek fell silent but remained agitated, eyes darting furtively. Seeing something that neither Robert nor Scully could, Krycek slowly reached out and put his hand very deliberately and very precisely on one of the gray doors. The door underneath gave, and Alex's hand pushed into it to a distance of about an inch. Krycek's eyes flew open, his body jerking as though it'd been subjected to an electric current.

Dana moved close to Alex but hesitated to touch him. She didn't know what the risk was. Trying to assess his condition, she looked into his eyes and screamed. They were black -- completely and utterly black.

She took two rapid steps backward, noticing only when she attained the greater distance that the black eyes were focused on her. She could read nothing in them, but the rest of his facial expression connoted curiosity. "Alex" withdrew his hand from the door and stepped toward Robert and Dana. The hand shaped depression remained. The two exchanged a glance and Robert looked almost as unnerved as Dana felt, moving directly behind Scully and grasping her arms firmly making further retreat difficult. Scully had no desire to injure the old man. "Alex" closed the distance before Scully could free herself and grasped her neck lightly, his index finger gently stroking the skin that covered her implant. She thought she heard someone ask, "Does that cause you pain?"

"No," she replied before realizing that neither of the men had spoken. Confused, she searched the hallway with her eyes and saw no one else.

"They tested you?" That voice again, sounding in her head.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"Tested the compatibility of your DNA to ours?"

That sounded like what Mulder believed had happened to her. "Yes."

"Did that cause you pain?"

"I don't remember, but I think so," Dana admitted. "I think it hurt very much. Why?"

"There was no need for pain. We showed them how to avoid it. They didn't listen. Why would they hurt their own?"

Talking to Krycek's form, but not to Alex, was testing Dana's generally firm grip on her reality. And he was addressing her telepathically. What if ...? To test her theory, Dana concentrated on the thought, "I'm not certain. Probably because it made them feel powerful."

"Him?"

"What?" she replied aloud. Thinking responses hadn't seemed to work.

"The human behind you. He is one of those who asserted power that way. Correct?"

Ok, thinking responses had worked just fine. To cover her unease, Scully said, "I believe he's a member of the group that did. Yes."

Moving quicker than Scully believed possible, Krycek moved her aside and lifted Robert against the wall, staring at him with those blank black eyes. Robert stared back, mouthing, "No," continuously. Suddenly, Krycek set Robert on the floor, steadying the old man until he got his legs under him before casually snapping his neck. Without another look at Robert's body or Scully, Krycek turned, approached the door and inserted his hand in the indentation he'd made earlier. This time, the two doors swung inward.

The moment the door released Krycek's hand, he collapsed. Scully hesitantly approached the fallen man. "Alex," she called, as she knelt at his side. There was no response. He was motionless, far too still. With her heart in her throat, Dana checked for a pulse, fingers resting lightly on the side of his neck. It was there but too slow, his breathing too shallow. He needed a hospital immediately. Her assessment was interrupted by the sound of the elevator descending in all likelihood to pick up and transport Jennifer and a bunch of Robert's men to the gallery. Having no other option, Scully grabbed Krycek's feet and began the relatively slow process of dragging him through the open doors and into the gallery. She could move him about six inches at a time, if she braced her feet and pulled. She had him about half way into the gallery when she heard the elevator begin its slow ascent. Dana didn't think about what would happen, if she didn't get those strange doors shut before Robert's men arrived.

The moment Krycek's chest crossed the threshold, Scully changed tactics. Grasping the lapels of his jacket, she levered him into a sitting position. There she paused briefly, panting and gathering her strength. Then she pulled him hard to the right, shifting his hips slightly and allowed the weight of his upper body to finish the job. He was lying on his side within the room and out of the arc that the double doors would traverse when closing, when she heard the elevator door open. The shout occasioned by someone seeing Robert's body followed quickly.

Scully didn't allow herself to dwell on how much time she had to figure out how to shut the doors, she simply applied herself to it. A red button was located to the left of the opening. Could it be that simple? She hoped so, lunging for it, because her rapid inspection had revealed no other likely options. The moment she touched the button, the doors shut smoothly and swiftly, a hail of bullets ricocheting off of the metal. The sound of the engagement of a locking mechanism was comforting, yet oddly final.

***

"Have you taken care of your errand?"

Exhaling, Cigarette Smoking Man nodded slowly, gazing calmly at David. Russell wasn't in evidence and Cigarette Smoking Man wasn't sure what to make of that. "Where's your better half?"

David laughed. "Russell is doing some thinking. Assimilating the latest bit of sleight of hand your young friend has perpetrated."

"What's Alex done now?" He was annoyed. Wasn't shooting Fox Mulder and paying Robert a visit enough for Krycek?

"What's truly interesting isn't what he's done. It's what it turns out he hasn't."

"Come again."

David smiled. "You haven't heard?"

The smoking man couldn't keep the sarcasm out of his voice. Not being in the mood for word games, he didn't try. "Your insight is sometimes ... uncanny. I evidently haven't."

"Fox Mulder was wearing a vest. The paramedics and surgeon were Krycek's people."

"And Dana Scully is entitled to an Academy Award, I take it."

"No, she didn't know." David couldn't interpret the other man's expression. It looked suspiciously like a grin.

The boy had balls. He'd give him that. Admiration aside, Cigarette Smoking Man focused, asking, "So why am I here?"

"To establish that we remain a group of three. As you undoubtedly imagined, we were concerned about Alex's apparent actions. He fooled us all."

"I harbor no hard feelings. Is that all?"

"We also wanted to offer our assistance."

"Assistance?" the smoker queried lightly. "I was unaware that I was in need of any."

"Your self reliance has always been admirable. Don't take it to a foolhardy extreme at this late date." Both men glanced toward the newcomer who had spoken. Russell's fatigue was evident in the way he held himself. "There's no need for the woman to become a target just because you have."

Puzzlement remained. They'd never before offered to participate at such an operational level. What did that mean? And more importantly, did he need them? Shrugging, he stated, "I've taken precautions. Fox's health will only make things easier."

"I'm not so sure. They're getting bolder. Surer."

"But if Krycek can ..."

"A rather large if."

"Why the change of heart?" Cigarette Smoking Man inquired. "My understanding was that we were in excellent shape, Alex's recently displayed flair for the dramatic notwithstanding."

Russell met the smoker's eyes briefly before turning away. Cigarette Smoking Man frowned at Russell's back as David approached and placed a hand on his shoulder, steering him away from Russell. "We now fear that Robert's "deal" with the colonists is more extensive than anticipated. Krycek's walking into a very deadly situation having very little to do with Robert's large and well-trained security team. And he has no idea."

The silence in the room was deafening.

***

Dana Scully sat on the floor in the art gallery with Alex Krycek's head in her lap, running her fingers through his hair absently and waiting for the doors to be forced open by the determined onslaught of the people on the other side. There was nothing else she could do. She'd found the sculpture and examined it. When she'd touched the back of the head of the bird of prey, a panel had opened in the sculpture's base. Noting the symmetry of the location of her implant and the actuation mechanism, Dana had removed the contents secreted in the hollow base and had studied the wires, mechanical parts and some unfathomable components. She supposed that Alex would know what to do with them, but he'd not moved since she'd manhandled him into this room. So she'd returned to him and waited for whatever her immediate future held.

"Dana?" The hoarse voice startled her, but he sounded like himself. And his eyes were open and green again. That was good. They were also unfocused which was not so good. With a critical eye, Scully watched him shake his head and try to sit up.

"I'm here, Alex." He sighed and turned his head toward her, wincing when she grasped his shoulder in an effort to help. His face paled and he looked sick, as she supported his back, a groan of pain fading quickly to a whimper.

From his relatively stable sitting position, he directed his attention to the closed doors, frowning in an effort to interpret the sounds issuing from that direction. "They're angry. Why?" Those words were spoken aloud, but to himself. Krycek's memory provided no context for their current situation, leading to a sense of foreboding. The last time he'd developed gaps in his memory, he'd experienced many things, most of them unpleasant, causing him to ask softly, "What did I do?"

Dana was forced to consider how to describe what she'd seen. She began with the one thing of which she was certain. "It wasn't you. Someone else killed Robert."

Someone else. That was interesting -- a heretofore unknown benefactor. "Who?"

"I don't know Alex."

Something in her tone set off a flashing warning light in Krycek's paranoid mind. And she wouldn't meet his eyes. What the hell had happened here? "Tell me," he demanded.

Dana hesitated and then chose to misinterpret. "I found the piece of art. It had some parts hidden in it. They're over there."

"Help me stand." Dana didn't move at once, grateful that her diversionary tactic had been successful. Krycek noted her hesitation and added, "Please." Apologetically, he continued, "I'm not exactly in any shape to be issuing orders, am I?"

"Issuing, maybe," Scully commented, as she considered how she might best assist him. "Enforcing, not a chance. Let's get you to your knees first."

Bending his legs at the knees, and bracing his right arm to lever himself up, he smiled. "What's with you and men on their knees anyway? Seems to be a recurring theme."

Wrapping her arms around his chest, she prepared to add her strength to his maneuver. "Not all men, Alex," she whispered. "Just you."

"Lucky me," was muttered toward the floor. Scully laughed, despite the precariousness of their situation. Those outside the door had fallen silent, plotting something, no doubt.

"Ok," she said. "Now." Their combined efforts got Alex to his knees. Dana watched with concern, as he swayed unsteadily and fought to remain silent in the face of what appeared to be considerable pain.

"The chair ..." Alex requested through gritted teeth, while managing to get his right foot underneath him. Never taking her eyes from him, Scully brought the requested piece of furniture and placed it to Krycek's right.

"Wait for me," she instructed. There was such a thing as taking independence too far, and Alex had been precariously close to doing so. Trying to stand on his own, under these circumstances, was foolish. Dana moved to his left, positioned to steady him. "Whenever you're ready."

Alex nodded and forced abused bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments to comply with his mind's order. Standing, he leaned on both Scully and the chair. But stand he did. The loud noise from the other side of the doors startled them both. Alex almost fell, instinctively trying to move to a defensive position, but Dana held him upright.

"Explosives," he muttered. "Sounds like they really tore up the hall, but our doors are still intact. Damn, I've got to get some of that stuff." Alex felt and knew he sounded more confident now that he was on his feet. "So where'd you put the parts you found?"

"I left them with their housing. Wouldn't want an art aficionado to miss the chance to critique the piece."

"It hurts to laugh, Dana." So he wasn't too much. He was smiling though and seemed to be getting some color back.

"It looks like it hurts to do just about anything."

"Think of it this way. You're getting a look into a future that'll never be. This is how I'd totter around, if I managed to live to a ripe old age."

"One thing's for sure, Alex. You'll have a smart ass remark on your lips when you breathe your last."

"Just one of my many intriguing attributes."

"Few, Krycek. Not many."

Her retort didn't get the attention it deserved. Alex was in too much pain to multi-task right now and he'd reached the collection of parts. Muttering to himself, he examined and arranged them just so on a flat metal tray that had also been housed in the art piece. He then covered the tray with a metal housing, shifting the housing relative to the tray, until he heard a click. Satisfied, he picked up the rectangular unit, preparing to put it under his arm. Suddenly, it began to change - altering shape into a small, cigarette case-sized container.

"How did you do that?" Scully asked.

"Don't know. I just picked it up, and it ... Well, you saw what it did." They both looked at the small silver item in Krycek's palm. Putting it into the interior pocket of his worse for wear dinner jacket, Alex took a deep breath. "Mission accomplished."

"And now for your next trick, do you plan to execute the escape plan that you haven't shared with me?"

"Are you insinuating that I don't share?"

"Are you suggesting that you do?" Alex was looking at her with a studied neutral expression, suggesting the answer to her original question to Scully. "You don't have one, do you? No plan. No way out."

"I did. Sort of. But things have taken some unanticipated turns. You have to admit that."

"Is this where you say 'It's not my fault' with puppy dog eyes and look to me to figure a way out of this?"

"Would that work? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point, unless it involves moving quickly, lifting anything over ten pounds or operating heavy machinery."

"That narrows the options somewhat, Alex."

"Consider it a challenge, Dana."

***

Special Agent Fox Mulder slowly approached the apartment of a woman that he'd once called his partner both professionally and personally. He'd called her his friend ever since they'd started their work on the XFiles. And now? Now he was worried. He'd shared Krycek's schedule with her, not to mention his theories about what was really happening.

He'd read Skinner's file from cover to cover and had to admit that the Assistant Director's analysis was sound. So what to do? As Mulder saw it, he had no choice. He'd created the problem, if there was one so it was his responsibility to solve it. Only one idea how to accomplish that had presented itself. He planned to stick with Diana like glue until Krycek completed his program. Taking a series of deep breaths, he raised his hand to Diana's apartment door. Pushing aside a feeling of unease, he knocked rapidly three times and waited. The uneasy feeling returned with a vengeance.

The door opened and the woman, clad in blue jeans and yellow t-shirt, gaped at him. "Fox? What're you doing here? How can you be here? I thought you were in the hospital in critical condition."

Mulder met her eyes, trying to mask the sadness in his. "Can I come in?"

Diana opened the door further and started to move aside to admit him but stopped short, looking at Mulder in alarm and suspicion. "Prove to me that you're Fox Mulder."

"What?"

"Talk to me, Mulder!"

Responding to the alarm in her voice, Mulder spoke quietly and intensely, not otherwise moving a muscle. "The third XFile that we investigated involved a man who claimed to be able to identify the "Mr. or Mrs. Right" for any given person. Your favorite color is peach. You hate basketball and love roses. I don't bleed green, Diana, but you're welcome to test me."

"Stay there. Right where you are, Mulder. I mean it."

Mulder stood just outside the half opened door, looking up and down the hallway, trying not to fidget. What was she doing in there?

"Here. Use this."

Mulder looked at the scalpel in Diana's hand. "You take up surgery as a hobby, Diana? Or has your sex life taken some interesting turns since we last hooked up?" He raised his hand to forestall a reply to either of his questions, as he accepted the ultra sharp knife. Staring into her eyes, he cut the back of his left arm and held it out to her. Her sigh of relief was loud and long. She smiled broadly, launched herself his way, hugged him fiercely and kissed him on the mouth.

"Thank God! How?"

"Can I come in now?"

Her enthusiasm dampened slightly. "I don't know, Mulder. Skinner told me I wasn't to see you until tomorrow."

"Because of the report you wrote. Yeah, I know. He's calmer now, because he's talked to everyone he had to in order to contain the situation. And he's back to worrying about Scully, so he's not likely to check up on you this evening."

While he spoke, Diana moved aside, allowing him to enter. "About the report, Mulder," she hesitantly began. "I didn't know about Scully's assignment. What was I supposed to think?" The man nodded slowly, proud of the relaxed smile he was able to put on his face.

"Forget it. All that proves is that we were successful. I just hope Krycek continues to be taken in by her performance."

"I'd say the odds are pretty good, Mulder. He's obviously attracted to her and appears to be indulging himself in that regard, if we can judge anything from the stir the two of them caused in the Hoover building." Watching Mulder carefully to gauge his reaction, she continued, "Looks like Scully's got him, if not right where she wants him, at least somewhere in the vicinity."

Mulder frowned, musing, "I wonder how they're enjoying the opera."

"What?"

"It's kind of a long story, Diana. You have any plans for the evening?"

"None that I wouldn't cancel to hear that tale. Unless I miss my guess, it'll have all the elements of an epic. Good. Evil. Betrayal. Honor. What could be better entertainment for a Saturday night?"

Mulder smiled, gesturing for her to sit down. She complied, an expectant expression on her face. He sat next to her on the couch, leaned back and began in time-honored fashion. "Once upon a time ..."

***

Dana Scully watched Alex Krycek with interest. He appeared to be assessing his physical condition, trying to determine what his limits were.

"How did we get in here?" he asked casually, while stretching his back. He noted the increased tension in her bearing, even though she rapidly forced herself to relax. "I need to know, Dana. It may suggest a way out." He sighed, when she remained silent, meeting his eyes with a neutral, nearly blank expression. "I know that I've asked something similar of you before with very little at stake. That isn't the case now. I'm asking you to trust me enough to tell me what happened. Can you ... will you do that?"

Alex looked like hell, as if he couldn't walk three steps without falling on his face, but there was intensity in his eyes that gave Scully a hope that she was almost afraid to have. Might they actually be able to get out of here with what they came for and their sanity? On the off chance that the answer to that question was yes, she decided to tell him what he wanted to know.

"It was the door, Alex. You touched the door and you ... became someone else. And it hurt you badly."

He looked at the gray metal thoughtfully for a moment and then moved toward it at the best pace he could muster.

"Wait!" Scully called. "Don't touch it. Listen to me, Alex. Robert said that it had something to do with what happened to you when you lost your memory loss. And that it departed from there in a dangerous way. He said that you could die and take the two of us with you. He's gone, and I'd rather not join him or watch you do it."

He paused and took a deep breath, turning toward her, unable to hide his frustration. "What choice do we have? We're unarmed and on the third floor of this crazy house, stuck between reinforced safety glass and alien super metal. The only way out is the way we came in. We can't just stay here. The clock is ticking. You got the schedule from Frohicke. You know what I have to do."

"We," she firmly corrected.

"I," he softly reinforced.

"I'm not going to argue with you about this, Alex."

"Good. I'm glad you don't intend to waste our time together that way."

Expression intense, Scully explained, "I'm merely going to correct the misconception you seem to be harboring with regard to the duration of my participation in this venture. We can't have any of that at such a crucial juncture."

Krycek had reached the door. With a half turn, he met her eyes, countering, "I don't mean to be difficult, Dana, but we can't do this. I can."

Never turning away from her, he positioned his hand on the door. In a completely different orientation than he had on the other side, Dana was certain. But it didn't matter. The door gave before his hand and energy began to build within the door itself. Scully wasn't sure how she knew that. She perceived it somehow, but not using her five senses. Alex's eyes drifted shut momentarily, but he forced them open, focusing on the door and concentrating. Dana had no idea on what, though.

Could he assert his will, even in a small way, over it? Or the energy it appeared to house? She didn't have time to consider her questions fully because something was happening. Energy appeared to leap from the door to Alex. Dana sensed, although could offer no physical evidence in support, that another power surge occurred in the opposite direction -- toward those in the hallway.

Alex appeared to absorb the energy and channel it in ways that she couldn't fathom. All she knew was that he stood up straighter. Green eyes bright and alert, as he surveyed their surroundings. His movements were more fluid, less pained. In stark contrast, the screams from the other side of the door were primal, tones indicative of excruciating pain that faded on more than one occasion to what sounded like death rattles. Dana Scully was suddenly certain that she had no desire to see the hallway outside this gallery, regardless of the consequences.

It was over as suddenly as it had begun. The door was once again just a metal door and no longer a source of energy. Alex was just a human man, rather than a sponge for that energy, although he looked to be more physically fit than he'd been mere moments ago. There was only silence on the other side of the door.

"Wow," Krycek murmured, leaning against the metal.

Scully closed the distance between them, looking Alex over as she approached and checking his condition more precisely when she reached him. She didn't want to analyze the look on his face, but grudgingly acknowledged that it appeared to be awe. "You want to explain what you hoped to accomplish with that stunt?" she asked.

Krycek moved his head slowly, languidly. "To find a way out."

"Nice try. Sounds like what you accomplished was to cause more havoc outside. Do you have any other ideas?"

"Other ideas?"

Was he purposefully being a pain in the ass? "For getting out of here, Alex."

"You mean ... other than going out the door?"

Glancing at the metal doors behind Krycek, Dana bit her lip uncertainly. "I hate to disappoint you, but the doors are still closed. They might even be fused shut."

"I thought we'd go out that one." Scully spun to look in the direction Krycek indicated with his chin, behind her and to the right.

And there she saw a door standing half-way open. "Alex," she began with some trepidation. "There was no door there. We looked. Remember?"

"Yeah. It's new. Just like before."

"Before?" He had a strange look on his face and was talking slower than normal, causing Dana some concern over the damage that might have been done to his brain during his interactions with the strange metal.

"I touched a wall. Got a shock. Made a new door." Alex paused after he finished speaking, and frowned. "No shock this time. That's different."

"Everything about this situation is ... very different. Look Alex, is that you in there? Alex Krycek? Mulder's bane? Scully's excellent adventure?"

When he focused on her again, that far away look was gone from his eyes and he looked more normal. Krycek laughed, while pushing himself away from the doors and said, "Reporting for duty." Moving quickly across the room, Alex poked his head into the new doorway. "It's pretty dark in there, but I'm getting claustrophobic in here. What do you say, Dana?"

The doctor in her couldn't fail to comment. "You're looking pretty spry for a guy that was in a world of hurt a few moments ago."

"My negotiation skills at work."

"Negotiation?"

"I told it I felt like shit, that it was it's fault, and that I wanted to feel better."

"It?"

"The door."

He just claimed to have communicated with a metal door, and he was looking at her like she was dense. There was something wrong with this picture. Or something very right. At that moment, he reminded her of Mulder at his most tolerant of her requirement for physical evidence. "I see."

The amount of skepticism packed into those two little words was amazing to Krycek. "Believe me or not, Dana. That won't change anything. Let's see if this secret passage leads somewhere useful. Like the front lawn. I need to get some sleep before my ... our appointment on Skyland Mountain."

End Of Episode 23

Continued in Episode 24