RATales Archive

Saturday Night Delirium

by Cipher Muse


Well, I said I wouldn't do it, but I went and did it...

Title: Saturday Night Delirium
Author: Cipher Muse
Feedback/Email: I'm embarrassed, but OK. ciphermuse@yahoo.com
Spoilers: none
Rating: PG-13 for one bad word and cannibalism. Sort of.
Summary: Response to RatChallenge, I'm ashamed but I plead the Fifth. Any fifth I can get. (Stoli?)
Disclaimer: Chris Carter and 1013 own these people. This time, I think they'd prefer it that way.
Author's Note: I blame Vanzetti.


Alex Krycek carefully filled two plastic cups with bright red, alcoholic punch. He just couldn't believe his luck tonight, and he wanted to get everything right. He turned to look at his date, chatting with Skinner's secretary. Her red hair sparkled under the twinkling white lights from the disco ball. Quickly he grabbed the drinks and began to make his way back to her. In his haste, he was unable to avoid the tall man dressed like a member of the Village People. The weird orange and red scarf wrapped around his head kept Krycek from seeing the man's face clearly as he apologized for bumping into him and walked away.

Alex swore as he realized that some of the bright red punch was now on the sleeve of his white, Travolta-style leisure suit. And his right elbow felt slightly painful. He thought he had felt a sting when the weird guy had bumped him. He wanted to rush to the restroom and check his arm, but his date was now walking toward him, her platform shoes and red sequinned outfit transforming her into the disco queen of his dreams. Punch stains, sore elbows, Village People, everything else drained from his mind. He smiled at her, hoping she'd be interested in dancing. He wasn't actually too bad a dancer.

Scully took in the sight of Alex Krycek wearing a leisure suit and a sheepish grin. He was so beautiful, greased hair, gold chains and all. Ever since the invasion had been driven off, they had been good friends. It was hard to believe she had once hated him. He'd become one of the most heroic men she'd ever known, fighting tirelessly to save the human race. She knew it was largely due to the unique contacts he'd forged with the alien rebel race that they'd had the ability to withstand the colonists. And all past misdeeds had been forgiven the day he'd rescued Mulder from the alien ship.

Alex had even helped her deal with Mulder and Skinner's revelation of their ongoing love affair, holding her while she wept. He'd also been like a father to her little girl. Mulder's current relationship with Skinner kept her from expecting his full participation in rearing the child they'd made together one lonely night, but it was hard raising a child alone. Little Melissa loved Alex, almost as much as her mother did. Somehow, Scully didn't think he realized how she felt, but if things went her way, he would tonight.

It was their first real date. She hoped she'd get it right. A costume seventies dance the FBI was holding for Halloween made a good excuse to leave some inhibitions at home, where her mother and Missy were watching Teletubbies. It made her smile to think that she and Alex were actually partners on the X-files now, and he was as welcome in the transformed Hoover cafeteria as she was.

Handing Scully her drink, Alex leaned close to her so she could hear him over the noise of a karaoke contest beginning on the collapsible stage that had been set up for the evening.

"Bet you didn't know I could sing, Dana." His husky voice made a shiver run down her spine.

"Oh yeah? Well, then hadn't you better go show me? The contest is about to begin. And by the way, I signed you up." She couldn't help a wicked grin at his stunned expression. She'd known he had a great voice since she heard him singing to Missy when she was a few months old and he'd thought Dana was napping during a picnic.

"I don't know..." he stammered a bit, looking frantically around for a way out.

"Come on, Alex. For me?" She gave him a soulful look she'd stolen from Mulder. He didn't think he'd be able to resist her, but maybe he could distract her. Handing her the cup of punch he'd brought her, he opened his mouth to ask her to dance.

Just at that moment, the MC had stepped back to the microphone after a few words from the agents hosting the event. To Alex's horror, he heard his name being called as the first contestant. Suddenly he was surrounded by agents clapping and cheering and calling his name. As if in a dream, he found himself walking to the stage, his punch taken by Scully, all eyes on him as he climbed up to his doom. He battled with the feelings of stagefright, summoning up the courage he'd used to fight off alien invasion.

"What song will you be singing for us tonight, Alex?" boomed the MC.

"Uh, how about ' I Will Survive' ". It was probably the only disco song he knew all the words to. He was really more of a classic rock kind of guy. What the Hell was he doing up here? He stared into the sea of cheering faces and suddenly a weird rush of energy filled him. The room was hot, really hot, way too hot. He opened the collar of his shirt, to wolf-whistles from the audience. He caught sight of Scully, and grinned at her as feelings of power and wild lust rippled up and down his spine. He'd seen Saturday Night Fever. He knew what to do.

When Alex started belting out the words to his chosen song, Scully was amazed. He really got into it, she'd have to give him that. And the disco moves he was busting put John Travolta to shame. Damn, Alex was one sexy man. She could almost get the whole disco thing as she watched his hips grind. The glazed look in his eyes worried her a little, though. She wondered if he'd been drinking a bit too much.

Alex was beginning to feel a little out of control. The wild movements of dancing were no longer enough. He was hungry. He looked at the crowd going crazy and wanted to bite someone. But he was all alone on stage. His thoughts were fuzzy, but his body knew what it wanted. His prosthetic arm came off easily in his hand. The screams were louder, now, and a bit shriller than before. He pulled the sleeve off the hunk of fake meat and sunk his teeth in.

The sight of Alex Krycek gnawing at his severed arm was enough to cause several agents (not all women) to faint. Jeffrey Spender, Clone of the Original Jeffrey Spender, was just in time to catch Dana Scully as she passed out. It took four agents to wrestle Krycek to the ground and sedate him. Knowing Alex and Dana were friends, Spender the Clone carried her near to the spot they had dragged Krycek to and gently tried to wake her. When she sat up, she saw the sedated, tightly bound Alex and rushed to his side. He was sleeping quietly and it didn't take long for her to locate the swollen puncture mark on his right elbow.

"He was drugged. I'll find out who did this and make them pay!" Her avowal met with only silence from Jeffrey and the other agents. They were all too embarrassed to say anything, but gave her sympathetic looks.

Meanwhile, the crowd had been calmed down and was getting ready to listen to a group act as the karaoke contest resumed. A tall, scarfed man belted out the lyrics to Macho Man with an uncommon amount of glee. Nobody had recognized him, and he'd gone without a Morley for two whole hours. Now that Krycek was out of the way, they'd win the contest for sure....

END

I know I've lost it now. Maybe if I look in the last place I had it...