RATales Archive

Safety In Numbers

by Amazon X


Title: Safety in Numbers
Author: Amazon X
E-mail: yankeestarbuck@yahoo.com
Website: http://yankeestarbuck.com
Feedback: Why, yes, thank you!
Category: slash, challenge from Peja, "Da Vinci's Inquest" incursion
Rating: NC-17, of course!
Summary: "Um, sir, I can't guarantee I won't kill my charge."
Archive: Make Believe. All else, ask, I usually share.
Disclaimer: Not mine, never were, I have no money.
Notes: When Peja gave this challenge, I immediately saw my tableau and ran with it. Who says the XF slash fandom is dead? Not I! I can still think on my feet and write like the wind! I borrowed the cops from "Da Vinci's Inquest" because I love them. And I think they will be really great for this. Yes, I know they're Homicide detectives, but I can make them do anything I want them to. Thank you to my amazing fast beta, L3, without whom...I wouldn't be prodded to finish these stories! So, here's to finishing challenges, happy endings and Nick Lea's 44th Birthday! Yay!


VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
VANCOUVER, CANADA

"Tell me again why we let the lieutenant talk us into this." Leary asked. He looked down at the handcuffed man, smirking at the way he kept his leather trench coat doubled over his locked wrists.

Shannon barked out a harsh laugh. "Because we need to be on her good side for once. Besides, this is as far as we go. The agents are picking him up in about half an hour. Isn't it nice of the president of the US to send him a private jet?"

Leary laughed as well. "So, Alex Krycek, what did you do that was so special that you get an FBI escort and a secure plane?"

The man sat with a stoic look his only answer. He refused to tell anyone anything until he was safe in Washington with Skinner guarding him personally. Skinner was the only man he could trust to make sure he was safe from harm, whether inflicted by humans or otherwise. It had nothing to do with the fact that they had once been lovers. No, if anything, Skinner wanted to do the hurting himself, or so he wanted people to think.

He was excited to see Skinner, when the man finally stepped off the plane and collected him. One thing Krycek knew, Skinner would never trust anyone with his care. When the door to the secure room beeped before opening, Krycek sat up and cleared his throat. The sight of the two agents who walked in was a complete shock to Krycek.

They held their badges up to the two Vancouver police officers. "Special Agent John Doggett and this is my partner, Agent Monica Reyes. Deputy Director Walter Skinner sent us to take custody of the witness."

Krycek's breathing hitched. Skinner sent agents for him? And not even the two who knew about him? About how important he was? Crap, he was screwed. They wouldn't watch him. They wouldn't protect him. Especially not Doggett. They'd fought in the parking garage at the Hoover building. He was fooling Doggett, making the man believe he'd destroyed a valuable vaccine, when all he'd broken was a vial of Jack Daniels. The vaccine had been administered earlier when Skinner had found Krycek in Mulder's room. Later, when he'd told Skinner about it, Skinner was surprised. Krycek didn't know why. Everything counted on Mulder, and one of Krycek's objectives in his assignment was to protect those who could be a positive influence on saving the planet.

The other woman with Doggett was a stranger to Krycek. He'd seen her driving away with Scully, but he knew nothing about her. He'd stopped gathering intel when he was "killed" by Skinner. That was a moment that broke his heart, and liberated his soul. He was able to walk away from the indentured servitude of the Consortium, who had made a deal with the Colonists to infiltrate the military with Super Soldiers so that it may effectively serve up the human race. It was easy to avoid. Just kill the Consortium members and get the antidote to the vaccine out to the people. The hard part was hiding while still doing his job for the CIA.

"Ah, Jesus and fried cats. Krycek, I shoulda known when Skinner didn't tell me who we were gettin'."

Reyes put her hand on Doggett's arm. "John, don't. He's a witness. We must get him back to Washington in one piece."

"Oh, one piece is fine, with lots of bruises."

Shannon stood up and stepped in the path of the advancing agent, realizing the impending violence. "Agent Doggett, I'm Detective Leo Shannon. This is my partner, Mick Leary."

"Good old fashioned Irish cops," Alex drawled, acting the part of antagonist. "And to think, we're not even in New York."

"Shut up, Krycek!" Doggett shouted. Shannon and Leary gave each other wary looks. Krycek knew that they would have doubts about handing him over to a man who couldn't be trusted. He only hoped they would think better of letting him go.

"Uh, Agent Doggett, are you sure you want to end your career over him?" Leary asked. "Because, if not, why don't you and I go over the paperwork on this while my partner briefs Agent Reyes on the background of where we found Mr. Krycek."

Leary held up a file of forms to be read, signed and initialed. Doggett gave Krycek one last glare and then sat at the desk with Leary to review the transfer of custody forms. Reyes followed Shannon to where Krycek sat and motioned for him to raise his hands. Krycek smiled as Shannon removed the handcuffs.

"Why is this man handcuffed? He's not our prisoner." Reyes sounded genuinely upset.

"But he's ours, unfortunately. He's here illegally. We had a hell of a time finding him and when we did..."

Reyes frowned. "Where *did* you find him?" she asked.

"He was...um..."

"Getting a lap dance in a gay strip club, sweetie," Alex said. His smirk was meant to anger her. But Reyes proved to be a little more resilient than Krycek gave her credit for.

"Well, then you'll be sufficiently relaxed for your trip home."

"Well, that was two days ago. I don't suppose you could find me a couple of tricks for the trip home, eh?" Krycek smiled, hoping he threw the agent. She smiled and shook her head.

"Sorry, Mr. Krycek. Just Agent Doggett and myself. There will be no sexual activity while in our custody."

"Well, shit. That doesn't sound like any fun." Krycek smiled and winked at Reyes. She smiled back and indicated to Shannon to remove the handcuffs. "As he is in our custody now, I prefer to have him unrestrained. He's a witness for our government and he is not under arrest."

Shannon cocked his head to the side, confused. "Then why are you here?" he asked.

"He is a witness for the federal government. Like your crown. We are here to ensure his safety. Local officers don't have jurisdiction over his care. He is wanted by a powerful and dangerous faction of government enemies. I don't know if you've looked, but we arrived by a military transport. We are being guarded by Marines. This man is in danger every minute he is not under guard in Washington."

Shannon turned to Krycek and gave him a serious look. Then he turned back to Reyes and said, "Really. What does he know?"

Reyes smiled. Krycek knew this woman, even if he'd never met her. She believed. She would make sure that Krycek was delivered safely because she wanted to keep the human race safe from attack, and she knew that there would be an attack, or at least an attempt. She had listened to Mulder when he came out of hiding and knew that everything he told the government was true. And if she didn't help keep Krycek safe until he gave his testimony, then all was lost. Deep down, everyone involved in the X-Files knew it.

Doggett's cell phone rang, jarring everyone from their private thoughts. "Agent Doggett," he said, strongly. He listened for a few minutes, then flipped his phone closed with more force than necessary. "That was Mulder. He and Scully are on a plane headed here. We're supposed to wait for them and the four of us will escort him back."

Reyes took a deep breath. "Well, that's going to be interesting."

Krycek snorted a laugh, cleared his throat, and then an all out guffaw poured forth. "Oh, this is gonna be spectacular! Doggett, man, you gotta make sure he doesn't kick my ass."

Krycek did not stop laughing while he made his request. Reyes stepped away and looked at Shannon again. "Thank you for all your help in this matter. Things have been very strained between my partner and Agent Mulder, since his return from…"

"The dead? From being on the lamb? Yeah, we had an APB out here for him and Agent Scully until they turned up all that information. Is that what Mr. Krycek is going for, then? To testify about all the Consortium stuff?" Leary was sweet, blonde hair and light eyes making him seem a lot less like a police officer and more like a social worker. Reyes was a little surprised as he turned up beside her. In Canada, it was like that. Less strong arm, more care.

When things settled, Leary sent someone from airport security to get some coffee for everyone. They decided that it would be best to just wait patiently for Mulder and Scully by telling "war stories" about bad cases. Leary and Shannon were more than happy to talk about their favorite coroner, Dominic Da Vinci. There had been many a case with which he made their lives crazy, but in the end, they discovered the truth.

Agents Mulder and Scully arrived to the entire group laughing at a joke they hadn't heard told. Mulder zeroed in on Krycek and for once, he didn't sneer. He just looked at the man, and Krycek could see the wheels turning. There was something there, something calculating. Mulder was considering how he felt about Krycek. Scully's feelings were written all over her face.

"Agent's Mulder and Scully, I hoped I'd never see you again," Krycek said, and regardless of his flippant tone, he did mean that. He didn't think Mulder or Scully would live to see the light of day after he helped Mulder escape from federal detention. He expected them both to go underground and stay there. That's what Krycek would have done.

"Krycek," was all Mulder said. "Gentlemen," Mulder said, turning to the two Canadian agents who had brought Krycek to them. They spoke a while before Mulder walked over and said, "Please remove his handcuffs, officer. We're taking custody, and he's not a prisoner. He's a witness to the largest criminal conspiracy in the world. Prime Minister Harper will be sending representatives to assist in the hearing."

Leary helped Krycek to stand and removed the handcuffs. Krycek shook out his hands and smiled at Leary, green eyes sparkling with mischief. Leary nodded. "Mr. Krycek, you be careful, now. Be as nice to these fine people as you were for us."

"This one was nice to you?" Doggett asked, shock and surprise plain on his face.

"Yes," Shannon said, quickly. "Understood why we had to handcuff him, told us where his weapons were, and we gave him the respect of not wrenching him around when we cuffed him. That's how we do things up here. Maybe that's why we don't have the kind of crime statistics you all do down in the lower states."

Mulder took a deep breath, ready to spout off statistics of violent crime in Canada, when Scully took hold of his arm and said, "I'm sure that we will afford Mr. Krycek the same respect that you would. Like my partner said, he's not a prisoner but a witness we need to protect."

"Why so many of you?" Leary asked.

"There's safety in numbers," Mulder said. "The fate of the world rests with Mr. Krycek."

Krycek rolled his eyes at the statement. The Fate of The World always rested with him. If Mulder or Doggett actually knew how many times the world had come to ending but was thwarted at the last moment by something someone did, whether himself or a former member of the Resistance, they'd shit themselves. Most members of the Resistance had been killed over the years. One successfully retired, albeit to the Rebels' planet, but he retired. Another became a mother, and she worked on the peripheral, but she wasn't active in the field.

"Good, then." First Leary, then Shannon shook Krycek's hand and wished him well in his journeys. The agents were escorted by the Canadian security to the private, secure gate, and then led onto the plane. Krycek smirked when he saw Mulder and Scully sit together and then directly across the aisle from them, Doggett and Reyes. He walked behind their row and took a window seat. Sitting back, Krycek sighed and relaxed.

The single attendant came on board and asked if the passengers wanted anything. Krycek sat up and said, "Yeah, sweetie. When we level off, can you bring me bottle of red wine, thanks. Don't make yourself a stranger." Krycek's voice had dipped into that place Skinner always called whiskey-gravel. The young woman blushed and smiled as she made her way back to the front of the cabin.

Not to be snubbed, Mulder turned and looked at Krycek around the side of the seat. "Are you flirting with the cabin attendant?" he asked.

"And what if I am?" Krycek retorted. "It's none of your business."

Taking a deep breath to calm his anger, Mulder smiled. "Regardless of our past relationship, I'm not going to get angry. I would just like it if you didn't induct that young woman into the Mile High Club while in my custody. Agreed?"

Krycek appraised Mulder carefully. The man was trying to be reasonable. If Krycek was smart, he would take advantage of that.

"Mulder, she's pretty, I'll give you that. But for my interests, she's missing some vital equipment." Krycek silently waited for Mulder to be repulsed. All he got for his troubles was a small smile and a shake of his head. "Doggett, you owe me five bucks." Mulder was looking at his counterpart across the aisle.

Doggett looked over, questioningly. "What?"

"I told you he was gay. You said it wasn't possible."

"Shit, OK, five bucks."

"You're both wrong," Alex chimed in.

"What?" Mulder and Doggett said in tandem.

"What what? You're both wrong."

"How can that be?" Mulder inquired.

It was quiet at first, but Krycek could hear the giggling coming from Reyes' seat. She leaned across Doggett and looked back at Krycek. "You're bisexual, aren't you? I read the files, the testimony and interviews with Marita Covarrubias. You and she were lovers, weren't you?"

A snort of derision came forth and Krycek looked out the window. "Marita is more malleable when she's relaxed. Work is work."

Krycek stopped there, not wishing to talk about the past any longer. Everyone turned in their seats to face forward and settled in for the long flight. Halfway through the flight, Krycek stood and moved out of his row. Mulder and Doggett jumped up and stopped him cold. The stand off was tense for a moment. Reyes stood as well and quickly spoke, to diffuse the thick haze of testosterone.

"Mr. Krycek, is something wrong?" she asked.

"I have to piss, is that a problem?" he spat. Standing in his personal space, Krycek stared Mulder right in the eye.

The path was cleared, and it seemed to gall Mulder to his depths to step aside, even with his new attitude towards Krycek. Doggett, however, was not so giving. He stepped aside for Krycek, then followed him to the lavatory. They stopped together before the door.

"You wanna hold it for me, Doggett?" Krycek asked. Mischief and a little challenge sparkled in Krycek's eyes.

"No, but I'm going to stand outside so that you don’t do anything illegal while in custody," Doggett said.

"I thought I wasn't a prisoner? Did you think I was going to shoot up in the john?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

"Just do what you're gonna do, and I'll wait right here."

There was no winning this argument. Krycek went into the bathroom, leaving the rollback door open, and opened his fly. It surprised Krycek that Doggett stood his ground through the entire show, and even waited patiently for Krycek to wash his hands and comb his hair. Krycek liked it a little longer, the way he'd been wearing it lately. They made their way back to their seats while the flight attendant began serving lunch. Krycek was amused the way the woman's hand shook as she placed the plate of linguini before him. Being the continental gentleman, Krycek took her hand and kissed it.

The blush rose from the vee V in her blouse to the dark roots of her hair. She moved away slowly, revealing Doggett, turned in his chair, frowning. Krycek turned away, not even acknowledging the man. It's what Doggett wanted, to be addressed, to be listened to, whether Krycek heeded his words or not. Well, that wasn't going to happen. Krycek had played mind games with some of the most powerful men on this planet, and on others. One FBI agent wasn't going to derail his state of calm. There was one thing waiting for him in Washington, and he needed to hold onto that thought.

The preparations for landing were simple, and Krycek was a good boy and locked on his seatbelt. He desperately wished he'd remembered to bring a novel or biography with him to read. Looking at clouds floating by only occupied one's attention for so long. The in-flight movie, some computer animated thing about bugs, wasn't anything he cared to watch. He did lose himself in the music over the headphones the attendant, who Krycek learned was Daphne, had so graciously given him.

When they disembarked from the plane, Krycek was aware of the two men closely pressed to his sides. They walked casually, but they were staying there, not moving from his view. They were ushered past customs and into a special security area, to be checked in private. Krycek easily submitted to the metal detection wand, smiling at the obviously gay security officer. The young man just proceeded to sign the paperwork and slipped his phone number in Krycek's pocket. Krycek nodded at him, and he thought it was naughty of him to give the poor boy false hopes. Krycek was meant for one man, and he was waiting at the Hoover building in DC.

The ride in the unmarked car was uneventful, considering the women rode in a different car, while both Mulder and Doggett sat crushed in the back of the Taurus with Krycek. It wasn't too soon for any of the men when they pulled into the parking garage of the Hoover building, near the elevator doors. They walked in a tight group, all crowded around Krycek. This is beginning to get ridiculous, he thought to himself.

"OK, people, we're in the elevator. You can all let up." Krycek's plea was ignored.

Shaking his head, Mulder snorted. "You of all people should know how easy it is to get in and out of the Hoover building if you're planning on doing no good. How easy would it be for someone to get in here to take you out?"

"Not so easy with you standing behind me. If you get any closer, you'll need a condom." Mulder jumped back two steps, causing both Krycek and Reyes to laugh. The bell rang for the fourth floor and the steel doors slid open. A fleeting thought of "coming out of the closet" danced through Krycek's head. He gave another little laugh and followed the two ladies to Deputy Director Skinner's office, with Mulder and Doggett bringing up the rear again.

The steps down the hall seemed to stretch out for miles before him. Krycek saw the door, just past the pantry, where Arlene made the cinnamon hazelnut coffee that he loved. He would spend many an afternoon, while Skinner was in a long, boring meeting, drinking that coffee, with the dollop of light cream and two sugars. She would smile at him, like he was just another under cover agent, and didn't have any idea who he was. Or maybe she did and never let on, considering he would never do anything to hurt her.

He entered her outer office, which was deserted on a Saturday evening. Krycek could almost picture her sitting there, clip holding her bangs back, typing away while trying to take a message for Skinner and decipher his hieroglyphic corrections on a report. They entered Skinner's inner sanctum, en masse, and the man was waiting, sitting at his desk, which had gotten larger since the last time Krycek had seen it. The lights were low and cast an ethereal glow about the room. Skinner was looking at a spread sheet of tiny numbers up close. When he pulled the page away, he looked up and the small band of travelers.

Krycek was struck by the look on Skinner's face. There wasn't anger, nor was there acceptance. He was just blank, almost weary under his mantle of indifference. "Krycek, glad you made it back in one piece. You'll be taken to a safe house tonight. Agents, thank you for all your hard work. You're all relieved for the evening."

"But, sir," Mulder began, "are you sure you'll be safe? This is Krycek we're talking about."

"Mulder, I'm not gonna kill my ticket to freedom, ok?" Krycek drawled, then dropped onto the wide leather couch against the wall.

"Sir, I'm not comfortable leaving you alone with this…guy," Doggett said. "I mean, you killed him once, didn't you?"

"I was wondering about that, myself," Scully said. "How did you rise from the grave, Krycek?"

"Walt, you wanna help me out on this one?" he said, gesturing to the big man behind the desk.

After a deep breath, Skinner began to explain how he carried Krycek's body to Jeremiah Smith, who'd contacted him earlier that night, and the three of them worked out the death scene. Mulder was angered to know that he was used as a pawn, but a bit relieved to know his life had never been in danger. It was Skinner who also reminded him that Krycek, using Resistance technology, had helped Mulder escape and helped save Marita's life. All Krycek did was smirk and settle back, crossing his legs.

The bristle almost physically ran through Mulder's body. He took a deep breath before trying to change the subject. "Sir, where will Krycek be housed tonight?"

"There's a safe house in place and he and I will be going there in about an hour. I'm just waiting on the call from the agents in the field who are securing our path."

"Securing your path?" Doggett asked. "You're going by yourself? Then why did it take four of us to get him here?"

"Can you secure the skies? The beings we’re trying to protect Krycek from have flying crafts. Do you see my problem?" Skinner gave both male agents a withering stare, one that has elicited an involuntary bowel movement from green agents over the years. Both Mulder and Doggett had to look away. "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your assistance. We'll be safe here. Goodnight."

Krycek turned his head so that the astonished agents wouldn't see him laughing at them. Mulder and Doggett stalked from the office, while Scully and Reyes said a polite good night. The door closed quietly behind the little group and silence reigned over the office again.

***

Skinner looked over at the man who had been left in his charge and appraised him with quiet solemnity. This was the man who had testimony to bring down the largest conspiracy the planet had seen since the fall of Al Queda. Skinner stood and moved to sit on the front of his desk.

"Did they find out?" he asked. Krycek looked up and those huge jade eyes focused on him. Skinner almost lost himself in the dark fringe of lashes that were more beautiful than he'd seen on any woman.

"No, they have no idea. This is the difference between the FBI and the CIA. We don't go flashing our badges around."

Skinner smirked at Krycek. "Talk about deep cover. How many years has it been?" he inquired.

"Fourteen years. And I knew it would go down that way. It would take my life to get to the bottom of everything. I signed on for that. I just didn't sign on for everything else that came with it."

The look on Krycek's face was somber. He wiggled the fingers of his left hand. Skinner remembered when he got the phone call from a hospital in Switzerland that the patient, Jan Artnzen was doing well, having been admitted with signs of exhaustion and severe neural trauma, not unlike intense shock. It was the natural human body's reaction to having a limb regrown by one of the alien healers. Krycek had come by to see him not long after that, showing it off.

They had worked hard to clear Mulder's name, and that was what led to the Senate hearings on the actions of the Consortium, or what was left of it. Krycek decloaked from his deep cover assignment, only to Skinner, and agreed to come back to America for the hearings. There was intelligence that a last ditch effort to revive the Consortium was in a fledgling stage and they had put a hit out on Krycek. Skinner spoke to Krycek and personally ensured Krycek's safety. It was only with that assurance that Krycek agreed to return for the hearings.

The phone on Skinner's desk rang, making both men jump. They'd been looking each other over, taking in the changes in each other over the last four years when the sound broke the reverie. It was the security detail announcing that the car was ready to take them to the safe house. "Time to go, Alex," Skinner said.

Krycek stood and waited as Skinner took his suit jacket from the coat rack behind his desk. They watched each other carefully as they walked down the hall to the elevator. Their faces were bland and they stared ahead at the closed doors of the elevator, not speaking or looking at each other. The agents surrounded the car and on held the door open for them both. Two agents occupied the front seat and when the door was securely closed, the car started out of the garage. Both Skinner and Krycek stared ahead, watching the car wind its way onto the Beltway, heading towards Silver Spring, where the safe house was located.

Halfway there, Skinner leaned forward and touched the shoulder of the driver. "Agent Hawkins, I'd like you to get off this highway and take a circuitous route to back to Virginia. Please take us to my home. Turn off your headlights as well."

"Sir? Wouldn't it be better to take you both to the safe house?" he asked. The Pennsylvania drawl was thick in the agent's voice, which reminded Skinner of home.

"No, agent, I think it would be smarter to abandon that idea. I'm sure the safe house location has been compromised, though through no fault of yours or any of the other agents on the detail. I'm just not comfortable with the drive, and I have a strange feeling something is going to go wrong."

Skinner's "strange feelings" had served the bureau well over the years, helping Mulder and Doggett bring many an investigation to a close over the last three years. It was a gift from the alien healers he'd encountered in the director's office just after Mulder and Scully escaped after his mock trial. They healed his heart, after the damage that was done with the nanocites, and his eyes, as well. Reyes had mentioned how progressive of Skinner to have laser eye surgery. When Skinner mentioned it to Krycek, during their short meeting at the Washington monument, before Krycek went into hiding, Krycek said, "Without the glasses, you look younger. You don't look as tired, you know."

Agent Hawkins did as asked and took Skinner and Krycek back towards Virginia. Skinner kept his deputy director mask in place as the street signs flowed by, taking them on side streets and avenues towards Virginia, and back to where he knew they would both be more comfortable. What the agents didn't know was that two weeks earlier, Krycek had shipped four large boxes of his possessions to Skinner. Most of it was clothing, that Skinner quickly sent to the laundry. There were some treasured books, that Skinner knew Krycek wanted safe, and his photo album. His memories were all he had. Skinner would keep them safe until Krycek was free to enjoy himself openly.

"Where are we really headed, sir?" Agent Hawkins asked.

"Like I said, to my home, agent. Back to Cherrydale. Don't speed, just get us there as if we were any other car on the road."

The second agent in the front decided to make his opinion known. "Sir, you do realize we're taking an unsecured route to an unsecured location."

"Absolutely. If there were to be trouble, they would be waiting for me at the safe house. They would never expect me to go home, would they? Hiding in plain site, have you never heard of that concept, Agent Cruz?" Skinner asked.

"Yes, sir," Agent Cruz said, and turned back to keep watch for tails.

Krycek glanced at Skinner, smirk on his face. Then he looked straight ahead again, not giving away any details of his feelings or thoughts. The ride was quick and quiet, through streets fairly empty. It was Saturday, granted, but it was also the quiet suburbs of Maryland and Virginia. They rolled up their sidewalks at seven each evening. Skinner checked his Movado, and saw the hand ticking just past nine. Plenty of time that evening to unwind.

When the car stopped outside Skinner's home, Skinner held his arm out and clicked a remote. The garage door slid open and revealed an empty space in the three-car garage. The sedan turned and made its way up the graded cement. The door slid down behind them, leaving the light on so they could see to get out. Krycek stepped onto the cement floor and waited while the two agents made their way through the house to secure it.

"Sir, we will call for your detail..."

"No, agents, please. I don't want to tip anyone off by having an 'unmarked' car sitting in my front yard. It would make more sense if I just came home from a long night at the office, driven by my security detail, and nothing else. Let's be as natural and discreet as possible. I will contact you tomorrow, to ensure we are, in fact, safe. Remember, Krycek used to be an agent of mine. He and I are adequate to handle anything that could arise."

Skinner could see Krycek turn to look away, trying not to laugh out loud at the not-so-obvious double entendre. The agents both nodded, seeing as how Skinner had an answer for every eventuality, and after Krycek made his way into the house, the garage door was opened for them to drive away. Skinner locked the door, turned off the light, then locked the door leading to his pantry. He walked in and found Krycek bent over, head in the refrigerator.

"Wow, the cleaning lady sure takes care of you, Walt," he said, pulling the makings of a true Dagwood sandwich out. Skinner leaned back against a counter and watched the architecture take shape.

"Hungry?" he asked.

"Starved. Your fucking watchdog squad made it impossible for me to eat anything on the plane, even though that food is for shit, anyway. I can always count on you to have enough food to feed an army."

"Yes, I know. It was always interesting to arrive home from a long day of work, to find the mess you left behind. Margarita just harrumphs at me."

"You tell Margarita that I'll tickle her until she pees!" Krycek and Skinner's treasured domestic goddess, Margarita, were engaged in a battle of wits, from back when Walter first hired her after leaving his temporary quarters at the Viva Tower. He didn't like it there, preferring a home to a view. And the view of Virginia left much to be desired.

"You tell her. I'm going to get out of this suit. I've been wearing it since five-thirty this morning." Skinner made his way slowly into his office, first, checking his personal answering machine, or for any notes left by Margarita. She ran his house for him, kept it spotless, paid his bills, did his shopping, and even knew how to work complicated electronics, solving his satellite issues when he couldn't find the ball game. He would be lost without her.

Finding nothing that couldn't wait until the morning, Skinner confirmed the perimeter alarms were engaged, and the house itself was locked up tight. What the FBI didn't know was that Skinner's house, if an attack was imminent, would go into lockdown mode, with bulletproof shutters engaging over the windows and doors. The chimney flue would have a series of barbed stakes sent through, with a damper to keep anything out, such as poison gas. The basement had a secret panel that led to a tunnel dug through the back yard, down the next street that opened at the base of a property that Skinner owned and rented to another couple. The basement was not part of the offering to the tenant, so he had the perfect escape route, thanks to the Lone Gunmen.

His shower was calling, so Skinner went to his bedroom, removed his suit and clothes, sorting the dry cleaning, and starting the water. He stepped in and let the day of anticipation and annoying forms flow down the drain. He could feel the fatigue lifting and his mood. Krycek was back, he was in the house, and they were alone until Monday.

The shower door opened and behind him, two arms encircled his waist. His hands came up to cover the two clasped at his navel. "I was going to start without you," Skinner said, before turning to put his arms around Krycek's shoulders. He lowered his mouth to the plump lips offered to him, kissing Krycek deeply. The taste of his mouth flowed through Skinner's senses, igniting the fire again. There was love there, it had always been there. Both men ignored the feeling, but enjoyed each other's bodies very much.

Standing in the water sluicing between their bodies, skinner finally took his chance. "Alex, I missed you so much. I...I..."

"I know," Krycek said, before kissing him quiet. "Me too."

They didn't clean much while in the shower, mostly using it as an excuse for foreplay. Skinner relished the feeling of Krycek full ass in his hands. He squeezed and massaged, parting the round cheeks to run his fingers down the slick crack, sliding past the hidden entrance. Krycek busied himself sucking a mark onto Skinner's chest, just above his heart. Under a t-shirt, dress shirt and suit jacket, no one would see it. But both Skinner and Krycek would know it was there. They wouldn't look at the spot, or touch it, but during the hearing, they'd know it was there.

Krycek followed the line of Skinner's chest and paused at his navel, dipping his tongue in. Dark, thick hair begged for Skinner to bury his fingers in to the roots. He massaged the skull, and followed Krycek's progression to his groin. Skinner reached over and moved the showerhead so that Krycek wasn't fighting against a torrent of water to breathe.

The first tentative licks up the shaft of Skinner's hard cock sent shivers to his core. He held fast to Krycek's head for stability. The questing tongue made it's way to the underside and traced back up to the head, along the thick vein that pulsed with each fast, heavy beat of Skinner's heart.

Krycek made his way down to Skinner's balls, licking and nibbling the whole way. He sucked one into his mouth, sending a jolt though Skinner.

"Be careful with that," he growled. He pulled his hands from Krycek's hair and slapped them flat on the tile wall behind him for balance, while Krycek delivered an expert blowjob. The head of his cock slipped into Krycek's throat and Skinner almost lost his footing.

He pulled back and said, "Wait, wait. You're going to kill me."

Krycek stood and slipped his arms around Skinner's waist. The impish grin was present on his face. "So are we auditioning to be raisins?"

Skinner reached over and turned off the water. They stepped out and dried each other, using it as an excuse for more foreplay. For just a moment, Krycek stood before Skinner with his arms around Skinner's shoulders. "Thank you."

"For what?" Skinner asked, before taking a deep kiss from Krycek's lips.

"For these two nights. Before I have to go and give my life up."

Skinner searched Krycek's eyes. He was weary, a little frightened, and relieved.

"Your not giving up your life, you're trading up." Skinner smiled, offering his strength to his lover for his upcoming ordeal.

"Yeah, I think I'm doing pretty good," Krycek said, grinning at the surroundings. He pulled away and led Skinner to the bed. Krycek reached out and pulled the comforter back to settle on the mattress.

Before joining him, Skinner opened the nightstand drawer and pulled out condoms and lube. He had no illusions that Krycek wasn't monogamous with him. He didn't expect it and he wouldn't ask.

The luscious body presented before him showed a few signs of the hard life Krycek lived without him. They were easy to ignore when two strong thighs fell open to reveal Krycek's cock, standing proud and resting on his belly. Skinner took it in his hand and stroked it gently. Shudders ran through Krycek, visibly. He knelt on the bed between Krycek's legs and covered Krycek's body with his own. Two hard cocks ground together while they kissed. They didn't kiss enough, Skinner thought. Krycek's lips were full and soft. He tasted of spice and maleness. His scent was heady, which usually overwhelmed Skinner's senses. Skinner kissed and nibbled across Krycek's jaw to his ear, where Skinner took his fill of sucking the lobe. With each pull of his lips and flicker of his tongue, Krycek squirmed, grinding his groin against Skinner's.

"Walt, you are such a tease," he growled, hands moving to Skinner's strong ass. He gripped the tight cheeks and massaged them.

Skinner kissed his way down Krycek's shoulder to his nipple, latching on tight. This left Krycek's cock without friction, which he moved to replace with his hand. Skinner pulled back and slapped at Krycek's hands. "No, you don't. Put your hands above your head."

Krycek did as told and clasped his forearms above his head. Skinner returned to Krycek's right nipple, but reached out to grab the lube. Skinner sat up and stared into Krycek's smoky gaze as he poured a liberal amount of lube onto his fingers. Without breaking Krycek's stare, he brought his hand down and easily found Krycek's hole, slipping the tip of one finger inside. Krycek hissed, but ground his body on Skinner's hand. One finger slid easily into Krycek's tight, hot channel. He slid it in and out a few strokes, getting the feeling of Krycek's body, relearning his lover again.

Krycek whined a needy mewl, rocking his hips against his lover's hand. Skinner added a second finger, and bent forward to kiss the slack mouth again. Krycek's tongue invaded his mouth, playing with his own. Skinner blood pounded in his ears and he was getting more and more excited.

"Alex, I have to..."

"Yes, please, I want you." Krycek breath caught in his throat. Skinner sat back on his heels and opened the condom wrapper, tossing it on the floor. He rolled it on and used the last of the lube on his hand to slick it more. He took Krycek's legs, throwing them quickly on his shoulders and pressed the head of his cock on Krycek's asshole. The tightness gave way, with Krycek relaxing and allowing him entrance. Skinner knew Krycek had other lovers in their time apart, so he didn't feel guilt when he let go of Krycek's legs and slid home, falling forward onto his hands.

"Oh, yeah, that's it," Skinner moaned. He pulled out and snapped his hips forward. Krycek moaned again, arms around Skinner's shoulders. Sweat gathered on Skinner's shoulders, running down his back. One stream slid down his cheek, and Krycek leaned up to lick it from Skinner's chin. Skinner pumped in earnest in to Krycek's body, slamming his hips against Krycek's ass. Breathing quickened as the blood in Skinner's body pooled in his belly, preparing him and highlighting the tingle at the base of his spine.

"Yeah, that's it, give it to me," Krycek encouraged, his hand slipping down to stroke himself. Skinner matched his strokes, their breathing beginning to coincide. Skinner swooped down and took a deep kiss from Krycek and began to come, the power of the wave overpowering him. Skinner pressed his face into Krycek's neck and pumped inside him until he was spent. Krycek stroked harder until his own orgasm ripped through him, causing him to spasm and forcefully eject Skinner's softening cock. Skinner sat up and pulled the condom off, depositing it on the nightstand. He didn't care, he'd clean it up later.

Skinner settled beside Krycek on the bed, pulling the man into his arms. They kissed again. Krycek lay his head on Skinner's shoulder and sighed deeply. "Wow, I missed that."

Skinner perked at that and looked down at him. "Really? You mean, in the interim, you were celibate?" Skinner couldn't help but ask.

"Well, don't take it personally, but no. None of them were as good as you are. I promise."

"I believe you." Skinner sighed and pulled the comforter up on them. Krycek yawned. "You tired?" Skinner asked.

"Yeah, a little. That plane ride and the tension. How about we sleep a while, and if I wake up...and I'm up..."

"Yeah, well, you just remember, don't start without me." Skinner turned off the bedside lamp and settled beside Krycek in bed. Before long, Skinner could hear the even breathing of his lover beside him. One thing Krycek always told him, when he knew he was safe, he could sleep easily. Skinner was honored to be the one to deliver him to safety. He settled himself and soon drifted off to sleep.

The End