RATales Archive

Points Of (No) Return

by Marijke


Title: Points of (no) Return
Author: Marijke
Feedback: please??? marijke.post@xs4all.nl
Archive: sure, let me know where it's going, so I can tell my friends where to look
Rating: R for some violence and language
Summary: Krycek experiences something very strange, but when Mulder and Scully arrive, things get even stranger.
Disclaimer: Fox, CC, 1013, theirs, not mine
Authors note: at the end
Special thanks: to my close friend and beta-reader Bart. Not only did he read this story over a couple of times, checking for errors, he also drove over to my place to personally explain his (handwritten) notes. So Bart, lots of thanks and big hugs :-)


Apartment building, room 518

Mulder bent down on one knee, to see through the keyhole.

"What do you see, Mulder?" Scully asked.

"I can see the bed," Mulder answered. "There's a girl lying on it."

"A girl?" Scully said surprised. "What about Krycek."

"I don't see him, " Mulder said. "Maybe he's in another room. Or maybe he's not here at all."

"Are you sure the address is right?"

"I think so. Frohike gave me this address."

Mulder stood up again, got a crumpled piece of paper out of his jacket and gave it to Scully.

She checked the number on the door with the number on the paper.

***

Krycek came walking back into the room.

He saw Billy sitting up straight on the bed. She was holding a blanket before her naked breasts, but her back was totally naked.

He walked towards her and sat down on the bed behind her. He kissed her on her naked shoulder and his lips slowly moved to her neck. Then he whispered in her ear: "Good morning, beautiful."

She turned her head and kissed him. "Good morning yourself," she said.

"How did you sleep?" Krycek asked her.

"You didn't give me much time to get some sleep," Billy answered smiling, thinking about the night they just spent together.

With a big sigh, Krycek got up from the bed.

He'd rather put his arms around Billy and repeat that night, but unfortunately...

"You'd better get dressed," he said to her. "We've got work to do."

Billy got out of the bed, put on a shirt and a pair of pants and looked around the room to see where her shoes were.

Krycek got his gun from the table to check the bullets.

***

"What do you see, know?" Scully asked Mulder, who was looking through the keyhole again.

"Krycek just walked in the room," he answered

"Guess Frohike was right, after all," Scully said. "What else do you see?"

"The girl is getting dressed and..."

Scully opened her mouth to ask what's wrong, but Mulder put his finger to his lips.

***

Krycek opened the door and only saw Mulder's fist, before he was knocked to the ground. The gun he was holding fell on the ground.

"Get up," Mulder said, as he grabbed Krycek's shirt and pulled him back on his feet.

"Stop," Billy shouted and pointed Krycek's gun, which she'd picked up from the floor, at Mulder. Krycek held up his hand and said: "It's ok Billy."

Then he looked at Mulder. "Guess I had that coming."

"You sure did, you bastard," Mulder said and pushed Krycek back into the room. Scully closed the door behind them.

"You lied to me...again," Mulder said and raised his fist to hit Krycek again.

"I had good reasons," Krycek said quickly.

"Ok, I'm listening."

"I was gonna tell you where you could find all the drugs," Krycek said. "So I went to the warehouse to check things out and then I would call you.

But when I got there I heard someone talk. I checked it out. Some of the guys whose drugs it was were there. Because you were waiting for me to call you, I told you to go to another building."

"Why didn't you just tell us those guys were there?" Scully asked.

"And then what. The two of you would go there anyway. It's not like you can just walk in there and arrest these men. You'd get yourselves killed," Krycek answered.

"Like that would be your problem," Mulder sneered.

"As much as I'd like to see you dead, I'd rather do it myself," Krycek said. "But I'll wait, because right now you are of use to me."

"Wow, that's comforting."

"How did you know I was here?" Krycek asked Mulder.

"A rat whispered it in my ear, when I was knocked down in that so called empty building of yours," Mulder said sarcastically.

"What do you mean, so called empty. It was supposed to be empty."

"Well, it wasn't. Besides a couple of dozen of your furry, little friends, our mutual 'friend' was there, too."

Mulder got something out of the pocket of his coat and threw it towards Krycek.

Krycek caught it and just looked at the empty package of Morley cigarettes for a while.

"Why do you think *he* was there?" he asked Mulder.

"I don't know," Mulder answered, "you tell me."

"Hey, I didn't know he was there," Krycek defended himself.

"We'll worry about that later," Mulder said. "Right now, you're coming with us."

"Where are we going?" Kryceks asked.

"We are going for a ride. There are a few questions we'd like to see answered."

Krycek looked at Billy, who was sitting on the bed, then he looked back at Mulder.

"Could you wait in the hallway?" he asked. "I'll be out in a few minutes."

"Fine," Mulder said. "But remember, we are right outside the apartment. So don't try anything stupid to get away from us."

"And what do you think I'm gonna do, jump out the window?"

"That's a possibility."

"Mulder, we're 8 stories high."

Mulder just looked at Krycek for a while.

"Outside in a few minutes."

Mulder and Scully left the room and Krycek sat down next to Billy.

"Do you have to go with them?" she asked him.

"I'm afraid so," he said.

"I don't want you to go."

"I have to, Billy. I have to explain why I, once again, didn't tell them the truth."

Billy opened her mouth to speak again, but Krycek quickly put his lips on hers and kissed her. Billy kissed him back and leaned backwards until they both were lying on the bed.

Billy pulled away from their kiss. "Don't let them take you to that building," she whispered against his lips.

"Why not?" Krycek asked.

"Don't go there," Billy said again and there's a strange sound in her voice.

Suddenly she pushed Krycek back, he was now lying on his back and Billy was lying on top of him.

"What's wrong with you, Billy."

Billy kissed him again and a scared look appeared in Krycek's eyes, when he felt the pain in his mouth when Billy's sharp teeth pierced his lips.

A small stream of blood ran down his chin.

He tried to scream, but Billy didn't let go of him.

***

Mulder was leaning against the wall, next to the door. Scully was pacing up and down the hallway. Suddenly Mulder looked at Scully.

"What is it?" Scully asked.

"Did you hear something?"

"No, I didn't. Why?"

"I thought I heard a noise coming from the room," Mulder said and listened at the door.

"You don't suppose they are..." Scully began.

"No! It sounded more like a stifled scream."

***

Krycek finally succeeded in pushing Billy away from him. He swept the back of his hand over his mouth and saw the blood on his hand.

"What the fuck..."

He looked at Billy, she was laughing. Krycek now noticed all her teeth were sharp and pointed.

"What's going on?" he said.

"Shhh." Billy put her finger on his lips.

Krycek tried to push her away from him, but he couldn't, she was suddenly too strong.

She bent her head down and he felt a sharp pain in his throat. "Noooooo!"

***

Mulder looked at Scully. "That definitely came from the room." Scully tried to open the door, but Krycek had locked it.

Mulder battered his shoulder against the door.

***

Krycek put his hand on Billy's throat and pushed her back. "Stop this."

Billy laughed and pushed his hand away. Her teeth sank deeply in his neck.

Krycek felt the blood run down his throat and shoulder.

With his last bit of strength, Krycek managed to push Billy away and she fell on the ground.

At the same time, Mulder managed to break the door open.

He saw Krycek sitting on the bed, blood running down his mouth and throat, and Billy lying on the ground.

"What happened?" he asked.

Billy looked at him, opened her mouth and screamed.

It's was a wild animal-like scream, which made the hairs in everybody's neck stand on ends.

While Billy was still screaming, a red, round something appeared on the wall behind them.

She looked at it and laughed. With one big jump she was at the wall. She turned around. "You'll never capture me, you pathetic, 2nd dimensional beings."

Then, she just disappeared into the wall.

Mulder walked towards the wall, but the red glow was gone. And so was Billy.

All that remained was a black burn on the wall.

Scully walked towards Krycek, who was sitting on the bed, not willing to believe that what he just saw really happened.

"Krycek, are you all right?" Scully asked him.

"Huh." He looked at Scully. "Yeah, I think."

"Let me see your neck." Scully examined the wounds on Kryceks throat and neck. "It's almost like...like she bit you."

"I...I think she did," Krycek answered. "What just happened?"

"You tell me."

"I think you should come with us," Mulder said.

"Why?"

"I need to show you something."

"No," Krycek said. "First tell me where we are going?"

"To that building."

"Why?"

"We need to go there, for what I wanna show you."

***

Abandoned Building, 10.59 A.M.

Mulder opened the door and switched on his flashlight, before he entered the building. Krycek followed and Scully closed the door behind her.

"So, what is it that you want to show me," Krycek asked.

Scully had put some bandages around his neck to stop the bleeding.

"It's right over here," Mulder said.

He pointed his flashlight to the wall before them. There were several of the same black burns on the wall, like the one Billy left in her apartment.

Mulder turned around and Krycek looked him straight in the eyes.

"What happened here, last night?" he asked.

"When we came here last night," Mulder started telling him, "we heard a man talking to someone else. We assumed it was one of the drugdealers, who might have come back early. Scully checked out one side of the building, where the voices where doming from. I did the other side. Instead of finding drugdealers, I saw our big friend standing there, talking to some people. I kept really quiet, but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

Then one of them discovered me. He knocked me on the head." He felt the back of his head. Yep, the bump was still there. "Before I passed out, I saw several red glows on the wall," he pointed his flashlight to the wall again, "right where those burns are, now."

He had just completed his sentence, when the burned spots on the wall started to glow again.

"Well, well, agent Mulder. It seems like you have discovered our little secret."

Mulder, Scully and Krycek turned around and saw 'Cigarette Smoking Man' standing behind them.

All through the building, people started to crawl out of the walls. Suddenly the flashlight was knocked out of Mulder's hand and they were all left in the darkness.

Each started to walk in a different direction, trying to find the other.

***

Krycek held out his hand in front of him, so he couldn't hit anything. From every direction he felt hands touching him all over his body. He tried to avoid them and in doing so he hit his head hard against a pillar.

"Aah, shit," he said and held his hand against his head. That was going to become a nasty bump.

"Mulder, is that you?" he heard Scully whisper.

"No, it's me," he answered. "Where are you."

"Right here." And he felt a hand against his chest. He took Scully's hand in his.

"Are you OK?" he asked her.

"I'm fine," she answered. "How about you."

"I just hit my head, nothing serious."

"We should find Mulder and get the hell out of here."

"Great idea, Scully, great idea," Krycek said. He held her hand tight in his and pulled her with him as they started walking in a random direction. "Stay close to me."

Although she'd rather shoot him and take of on her own, Scully realized she now had to depend on her worst enemy. And she did not like that. She did not like that one bit.

***

Mulder walked to where he thought the door had to be. He stopped when he heard footsteps behind him. When he turned around, he saw a small light and then some smoke.

Suddenly a bright light shone right into his face and he was blinded. "I'd like to tell you a story," Cigarette Smoking Man said. "You see, agent Mulder, these people are not from this world. In fact, they're from a whole different dimension. The 1st one. Our world is the 2nd dimension. I'm sure there are a lot more dimensions, I just haven't found them yet. And these people have just lost their leader. They came here looking for another one."

"Let me guess," Mulder said, "you're it."

"Of course, Mulder, of course. What else do you expect from me."

"And all those burns on the walls," Mulder asked, "the red, glowing things?"

"Portals," CSM answered." Portals to their own dimension. You must have figured that out by now."

"Guess so," Mulder said. "Why are you telling me all this."

"Because I'm planning on taking over the world with the help of my newly found loyal subjects. And I'm afraid, agent Mulder, you are not in my plan."

"You underestimate me, you old fart," Mulder said. "I will get out of here."

"Do you think you can find the exit on your own, agent Mulder," the Cigarette Smoking Man asked him.

"I don't know," Mulder answered. "But I do know, that I don't need any help from you." He turned around to walk in another direction to find the exit, but at least ten people where closing in on him. He quickly turned around and saw the Cigarette Smoking Man just standing there, a big smile on his ugly face.

"Yes, agent Mulder," he said, laughing. "I can see that you don't need any help, not that I was offering some. But what about her?" He stepped back into the darkness and Mulder saw Scully standing there, her back turned towards him. He wanted to call her, but then he saw Krycek standing close to her. Too close. She was holding that bastards hand, too. Still, he had to warn her.

"Scully!"

She turned around. "Mulder. Finally." She let go of Krycek, but before she could move, some of the people blocked her way.

"Mulder!!"

"Scully! Where are you," Mulder called. More and more people where closing in on him. There was no escape. He heard Scully screaming.

"Mulder! Help me!"

"Scully!!!" He could not get away. He already felt the hands on his body. Now he also heard Krycek screaming. He couldn't see him, or Scully, but apparently they where being attacked as well. He now felt sharp teeth biting his neck, everywhere, and he screamed in pain. Many hands were pushing him and he fell on the ground. They were all over him.

"Scully!!!!"

No answer. Nothing just pain...

***

Mulder woke with a start. Looking around him, not knowing for a minute where he was, he realized he was lying on his own couch, in his own apartment. Thankful that it was only a dream, he peacefully dozed of again.

***

Scully sat up straight in her bed. The scream lingering in her throat remained silent. Her thoughts were racing trough her mind. What the hell had just happened? It all had seemed so real. Was it just a dream? She put her head back down on the pillow. Still thinking about the dream, she got sleepy again.

***

Somewhere in town, in some sleazy hotel, in a filthy bed Alex Krycek woke up. Damn, that was some nasty dream! He remembered hitting his head and it felt like it still hurt. He slowly touched his forehead. There was a big bump on his fore head, and it hurt like hell. What the hell...

The End

Note: this story is (sort of ) based on the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Bride of Chaotica". I got the idea when I was watching that ep. And I swear, I had already come up with the sharp teeth and the neck biting, before I even knew there was this thing called Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. I started the story before I knew about Buffy, but now that it's finished I found the strange people looked a bit like vampires. But I honestly didn't know about those Buffy vampires before the story was started. (Or that vampires could be so cute (with that I mean Spike and Angel))