RATales Archive

Playing Ball

by Amber M. Howard


Title: Playing Ball
Author: Amber M. Howard
Rating: PG
Keywords: Scully/Krycek, CSM/?
Timeline: Between Sleepless and Duane Barry
Spoilers: If I did, they're ancient.
Disclaimer: Not dead broke, but close. Not worth your lawyer's while.
Summary: Just slip out of those expected, necessary roles one night and let it all hang out. After all, the booze is on the Bureau.
Feedback: SunnyAngel80@juno.com


FBI Training Seminar
Part 26

"...And I cannot express the importance of keeping stress to a minimum among our agents. Stress creates mistakes in judgement and we cannot afford to...." Assistant Director Jana Cassidy threatened to drone on for another hour to the unfortunate room of half-asleep agents.

"And for this reason, the Board of Assistant Directors has decided to present a formal dance. Volunteers for decorations and refreshments will be appreciated. Good luck in your various investigations. " Her eyes expressed her typical disapproval of such frivolity, but the room was still agape.

The agents whispered to each other as they picked up their coats and exited the conference hall.

"A dance?"

"On the Bureau's tab?"

"After this year's case record? Are they poisoning the punch?"

"You know there won't be anything in the punch but sugar and el cheapo Kool-aid mix."

"Yeah, definetely BYOB."

"Ha, ha. They'll probably search you at the door."

"Well, what do you think, Spooky?" someone yelled. "That's an X-File!"

But Fox Mulder had already walked off, coat in hand, in his own little world, his new partner scurrying after him.

"So, what do you think Mulder?" Krycek asked.

"A pig was just born with wings."

"Yeah, that's what I thought too. What were they thinking..."

"No, seriously. Mud Crossing, Iowa."

He walked on. Krycek stared after him. <ooookkk....gt;

***

Dana Scully walked through the mall, the other shoppers flowing endlessly by her, intent on her purchase of a copy of the new Danielle Steel novel at the bookstore, when it caught her.

A gorgeous formal gown, the exact blue of her eyes glowed in the bridal shop window. Scully's eyes widened like she had just seen the man of her dreams.

She scurried in. She just wanted a peek at the price tag. She wasn't even thinking of buying it.

She came out fifteen minutes later, a bag in her hands, her face wearing an expression of absolute euphoria.

Krycek gave Scully a glance, looked at the shop, shrugged and went inside. He might as well spend the extra he got from that smoking bastard on something other than cheap polyester. Besides, she looked like she'd just gotten laid.

***

Three weeks later

This was complete nonsense.

The Cigarette Smoking Man glared at the agents, his agents, he owned them dammit, wasted their time two-stepping around in celebration of a outdated emotion of love. He considered poisoning the punch himself, but ended up drinking it. Why hadn't his superiors been content with Krycek being here?

Walter Skinner, with his wife Sharon,smiled and waved, noticing the other man's discomfort.

*#@^&^&^ cranberry juice.

***

The rotunda was hung with crepe paper and balloons, Celine Dion wailed on the speakers, and Dana Scully walked through it all. Alone.

Mulder had completely ignored her all week, never returning her messages, never coming to ask her about a case. She watched the couples dance by her, her coworkers, their wives and husbands, and hated them all.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned. Alex Krycek smiled. "Agent Scully, you look lovely. Would you care to dance?"

She looked around. Mulder was nowhere in sight. <What the hell.gt;

Half an hour later, they left. Both felt it had been worth the $200 investment.

***

The next morning

The rotunda was a wreck. Alex Krycek, still glowing from a night of vigorous physical activity, stopped to survey the damage. He heard a low moan from under one of the tables. The Smoking Man was crawling around holding his head, and he was....

"Sir?...."

"Alex, shut up and go find my clothes."

The End