RATales Archive

Not Your Conventional Relationship

by Liz K.


Title: Not Your Conventional Relationship
Author: Liz K
Rating: i think G. this was such a clean story!
Keywords: M/K
Summary: remember mulder's ring in travellers? well, last night mulder was wearing a ring again. this time he said that he didn't have a conventional kind of relationship. in this story, mulder reflects on the time he presented this ring to a very special rat.
Spoilers for chimera & travelers as well as anasazi/the blessing way/paper clip, signs & wonders, & the red and the black.
Author's notes: The muse is back! expect another story, unrelated soon. i thoght of this last night & couldn't wait to get it down. hasn't been beta'd so forgive all the typos. submitted for you approval....


Last night, the sheriff's wife noticed the ring on my finger. A simple plain gold band: anyone could mistake it for a wedding ring. I smiled as I gazed at it, remembering the special person with the matching band. The ring was my father's and the matching one my mother's. I'd always looked at those rings and thought they were a symbol that my parents truly were happy with each other. I'd admired them all my life; I didn't know thn about the Consortium or a man named C.G.B. Spender. All I knew was they were beautiful bands, and Samantha and her husband were supposed to get them. That never happened though, and my mom said they would come to me.

Years passed, and the bond between my parents weakened under pressure. Pressure from the Consortium, from my quest for the truth, and the simple fact that mom had been unfaithful. Dad stopped wearing his band, so I started to wear it for good luck. I don't see why; my father was nt a lucky man, but I, I had faith in it. It was while wearing that ring that I first stumbled along the X-Files.

I wore that ring, and it brought me luck. It also hid the fact that I was a homosexual. I allowed many to be fooled into thinking I was married. This ploy kept me safe from some, but not all. I got the nickname Spooky because all the guys in the Academy were homophobes. "Spooky" Mulder is gay; God must hate him. People ask why I can have faith in so much but I don't believe in God. No God would stand back as people promoted hate against me in His name. No, I stopped believing.

I left the ring at home the day i met my partner, Agent Scully. I couldn't lie to her because by then so many knew the truth. I never told her I was gay; she knows now but never says anything. I wa scared when I saw that cross on her neck. For a long time I had trouble trusting her, not because she was a sceptic, but because she was Catholic. So I stopped the married charade, and I left the ring off for years.

Then, there was that time without Scully. She had become my friend, and I didn't now what to do without her their to support me. In walked young Agent Alex Krycek. He was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. His green eyes shimmered, beckoning me to look into them and be carried away by their tide. His eyes, his hair, his body, everything about him seemed perfect in every way. I had to stay away; I had to be cold and unappreciative of his work. Until that one day when he compared my running off to ditching him like a bad date. Then I knew that he shared my secret. We started hanging out after work, getting to know each other. I must confess I fell in love for the first time of my life.

Of course, that didn't last. He betrayed me and Scully, my only friend. I found out about his Consortium ties. I belived that he had faked all that I thought we had as a job. For that, I hated him. As if that didn't hurt enough, he continued inflicting pain on me. The loss of my father was a great one; I nearly killed him that night. I looked into those green pools also known as eyes and I saw indifference. I felt sick. He didn't care that he'd killed my father, and he didn't care that he'd killed me. He was dead to me forever.

I spent my days feeling lost like Rick in Casablanca after she leaves him in Paris. There came a time when I felt close to finding the truth. Scully and I discovered the aliens rebels and their mass burnings. I decided to keep up the lucky streak I'd start wearing my father's ring again, just on occasion. I twisted the ring on my finger as I opened the door. I saw a note saying Things are looking up. While the kick I received following reading that was not a high point in my life, the note stated the truth. He sat their on top of me, sharing information. With a simple kiss he left me. I thought we'd lost what we had or perhaps we'd never had anything. But in that kiss, we gained back what we'd lost, just like in Casablanca. With that hope, I continued to go on, searching the truth and hoping to run into him.

About a year after that, he came back to me. It started with occasional visits where we'd stay up and talk for hours. I wanted so badly to be able to resist him, but I couldn't. I easily gave in to the only man I'd ever loved. Only this time, he loved me too, and what we had was real.

After a year or so, my mom passed away. While Scully doubted my mother was murdered, Krycek belived me. He knew how they could do it, but he also knew it could never be proven in court. So I let it slide, just sufficing that he was there to console me. This time he didn't deliver the blow but instead healed it. When I collected the trinkets that were on her person, I immediately noticed that she had her ring on. After all this time, she died wearing it. While she and my dad "out grew" it, I knew that this was the symbol Krycek needed to be assued that all was forgiven from the past. One gorgeous fall day, after my surgery with CSM, Krycek and I walked along the Potomac by the Roosevelt Memorial. We got out on a paddle boat and paddled along the river. Out in the middle of this magnificent place, I presented him with the ring. "Alexander, I love you more than I ever thought humans could love. You are my life, and I want you to know that I'll love you forever, no matter what happens."

His face glowed with delight, and I put the ring on his finger. I never wear it to work, but as I was away from Scully and the office, I put it on while investingating that case.

After those thoughts rolled through me brain, I looked up and smiled. "My partner and I don't have what you'd consider a conventional kind of relationship.

~Fine~

So... what'd you think? please, please give feedback. e-mail me at FoxRox1013@aol.com I don't care if you thought it was crap, I need to know how to make my writing better! :)