RATales Archive

Meant To Be

by Jessie


The fic I have written was just a cure for my boredom, because I was taking a break from studying for my semester exams. (Yuck.) The storyline is by no means original, but it just popped into my head and I wanted to write it down. There's probably a work of fiction out there just like it, so I apologize. Lol

Thanks for reading. ~Jess ^.^

::drinks some more coffee so she can study for her dreaded Psychology exam::


The end of the world came as a shock to everyone.

Well, not everyone.

I knew it had been coming for years. So did about a dozen other men who had helped plan it. But they didn't matter anymore. They were all dead.

But I...I was still alive.

I felt dead, though.

It was chaos for the first three days. "They" killed so many people. The rest...well, the rest were turned into the living dead. Most of the people on earth, who were still alive, were now posessed by the alien disease. They were simply carriers of the new breed.

I'm sure there were others that weren't affected yet, like myself. Some lucky bastards like me that managed to escape the colonization. Of course, it was only a matter of time until they got me too.

But I didn't give a damn.

I had my gun at my side, in case I needed to shoot another one of the ugly sons of bitches. Or if I had to shoot myself.

Because I sure as hell was not going to die at the hands of one of "them."

I had yet to find any surviving, "normal" people. Sure, there were still plenty of humans around, but they looked like fucking zombies.

I was pretty damn screwed.

I wondered why the hell I have even survived this far. It's not like I ran and hid in my basement for the past few days. I wasn't the coward Mulder said I was.

Ya wanna know where I was right now?

Driving along the goddamned street, with my windows rolled down, and my music up. I have to avoid debris from fallen buildings along the way. I hit a few infected people that ran straight at my car. I also rolled my tires over one of the aliens. That made my day.

Ah yes, back to the driving part. Where was I going?

Where the hell do you think.

To Agent Mulder's house of course.

I didn't know if he was...alive or not...but I had to know.

If there was one person I wanted to see before I died, it was Fox Mulder. I don't really know why. I don't have much to say to him. Well, alright, I do. But I would never say it. I guess I just really want to see how he's handling this.

Well, one thing's for sure.

He doesn't have to convince anyone that aliens exist anymore.

That is...if he's still alive.

I have this sick feeling in my stomach as I park in front of his building. As I walk up the steps, my stomach is in knots. As I stand in front of his door, I know I don't want to see what is inside.

His apartment door is halfway open and there are clawmarks raked across the wood.

I'm too late.

I'm too late.

I'm...."AHHHHHHHHRRGHHH!" I hear Mulder's strangled scream from inside the apartment.

I'm right on time.

Without hesitating for a moment, I rush inside, to find Mulder lying on his back on the living room floor. One of "them", in its grotesque newborn form, is on top of him. It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I mean, I've seen them before, but I never get over it. It has the large black eyes and human form like a normal Grey does, yet it's nearly eight feet tall, with green, scaley skin. And let's not forget those lovely four- inch retractable claws.

I take my gun out and aim.

I pull the trigger.

I hit the fucking bastard square in the temple. Its brains explode out the other side of its head and it falls off to the side of Mulder.

Mulder.

Who's still alive.

Thank you, God.

Fox Mulder lies there, breathing hard. After a second he sits up. His brown eyes, which are red and swollen as though he had been crying earlier, look to me. I notice that a body is lying on his couch. It's a human. Their stomach cavity looks as if had exploded. The newborn alien was born from that body.

That body...

Was Dana Scully.

Now I know why he was crying.

I feel like crying.

But now...Mulder's just looking at me. Suddenly, he begins to laugh.

Hysterically.

Boy, something is really cracking him up.

"Alex Krycek. Of all people. Who comes to save my ass on the day the world has ended? Good old Krycek." He stops laughing after a while.

I smile feebly. "Well, I figured you'd still be alive."

I'm lying. I was dreading the idea of finding him dead.

"I'm sorry about Dana. I really am..." Nothing I will say will make him feel better. But I had to say something,

Mulder looks at me and nods. I can see that he doesn't have any emotion left in him. It looks as if his soul has simply left him, and he's just another zombie.

"So, Krycek. Why me? Why'd you come here?" Jesus Christ, it's the last day of the world as we know it, and the guy is still questioning me.

I love that guy.

"I was gonna ask you if you wanted to go get a cheeseburger with me. I think half the building of McDonald's down the street is still left. Maybe the burger's are half price now." I'm a sarcastic prick, I know. I can't help it.

But he smiles.

I walk over to him. He looks up at me with an half smile that tells me he's glad to see me. I give my hand to him, and he grasps it, tightly. I help him up off the floor and we just stand there for a minute.

We don't speak, but our eyes say it all. I tell him I'm sorry for killing his father, for betraying him, for just being the bastard that I am. He tells me it doesn't matter anymore and all's forgiven.

Yes, it sounds crazy, but believe me, expressions say a lot.

"Let's get out of here." I say quietly and put my hand on his shoulder.

He nods, but first walks over to the couch where Dana Scully lies. He bends down, kisses her cheek, and put her cross necklace in his pocket.

I can't watch. There's a lump in my throat. It's the saddest scene I have ever witnessed. I can feel tears well up in my eyes, and I clear my throat.

I walk slowly to the door, and he follows.

We walk out of the building, and get into my car.

"Where are we going?" He says after a while. The sun is beginning to go down.

"Where do you want to go?" I ask him.

"I guess it doesn't really matter anymore." He says calmly.

"Yeah." I nod slightly.

There's a long pause. I'm waiting for him to begin the speech. How he spent his whole life searching for "the truth". How he...

"Just drive." He looks to me.

I look back him and grin. "Okay."

I turn up the music.

And I know there's a God when that song begins to play...

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiine."

Fox Mulder and I drive off into the sunset.

Maybe this was how it was always meant to be.

End