RATales Archive

Kyrie

by bardsmaid


At the end of *The Red and the Black, the Colonists' plan faces new opposition, but what if the result isn't salvation for the human race? Another attempt at wrestling with the succinctness of the 155-word format.

Title: Kyrie
Author: bardsmaid
Distribution: Yes, but please let me know where
Spoilers: *The Red and the Black
Rating: PG
Classification: V-155 words
Keywords: K, WMM
Disclaimer: Alex Krycek and the Well-Manicured Man are the creations of Chris Carter and 1013 Productions


You just don't know.

The planet could be toast tomorrow, colonists and rebels bringing their skirmish here. And D.C.'s no place to die. So you and the Brit catch a red-eye flight, him holding the leash, you half prize/half partner. Stars wink beyond the window but your mind's on Marita, why the hell she'd turn. There was nothing to be gained, everything to lose. Why?

The Brit half-dozes, fitful, beside you. When you land, there's no talk of strategy; humans are mere insects on this battlefield. Gray countryside streams past the limo while your pulse ticks minutes and reasons, searching for answers. The air's way too thin.

The Brit's walls are lined with pictures--family. He sighs into his Scotch and lingers, looking. You turn away. In the silence by the window, sunlight sears a streak along your jaw. Behind closed eyes you see a ragged child, a mountain you once climbed, your mother's eyes.

End

Note: Though mytharc eps were invariably followed by stand-alone case files and mutants, there was no real way for any of the XF characters to know, immediately at the end of *The Red and the Black, that the Rebels would in fact back off their assault on the Colonists and the Colonists' project. It got me to thinking about what WMM and Krycek might have done at that time if they'd assumed the worst was on its way. This is a scenario that will be developed in more depth for the final section of my Krycek backstory.