RATales Archive

Krycek Snippet #5
Confession Is Good For The Soul

by Noirre


My story pairs Alex with Jake from Red Shoes Diaries. I know, I know, but I couldn't help myself.

I apologize in advance for exceeding 200 words.

Noirre.


I'd recognize that ass anywhere...in or out of a suit.

I decided months ago to start my life over, and here he is, in MY new town...going into my neighborhood bar, with a dog. A dog? Mulder can barely take care of fish.

I'm suddenly in the mood for a drink.

Mulder takes a seat at the bar, and orders a beer. I order a double shot of vodka and sit at a small booth next to the jukebox. He doesn't pay me any attention. His dog, for some reason, curls up at my feet.

After playing a few of the sappiest love songs I could find on the jukebox, the only reaction I get is from the bartender. His glare alone tells me he'll take my other arm if I play 'Endless Love' again.

Finally, Mulder walks over to me, beer in hand, and I realize...it's NOT Mulder. Fuck.

This guy's a little younger...hair's a little longer, but he's just as sexy. And God...those eyes.

"Looks like you've made a new friend."

"Wha...Huh?"

"My dog...Stella...I think she likes you," he smiles back. "May I?" he asks, nodding towards the booth.

Unable to speak, I muster my most inviting smile, and he sits.

"My name is Jake," he says. "Nice taste in music."

"I'm Kry-Kr-A-Alex. The songs were supposed to be an inside joke. I thought you were someone else."

"Really?"

"You look like someone I know...used to know...someone I used to love," I answer.

Thankfully, he doesn't flinch at that last part.

"Alex, huh? My fiancee's name was Alex. I lost her a long time ago, and I still haven't gotten any of the answers I need to stop this ache...stop this loneliness."

"Answers...You even sound like him...What answers?"

He starts softly, "Why are people so willing to throw love away?" Jake regains eye contact with me, and asks, "Have YOU ever been betrayed?"

"Jake, I've been on both sides of betrayal...more times than I can count. It's left me with nothing...with no one."

As he reaches for one of my stacked quarters for the jukebox, his hand touches mine...my artificial one, that is. He quickly examines the ugly plastic, and then pulls away. "Alex, If you have some time, I'd love to hear your story."

I'll confess to everything...anything, just to spend more time looking into those eyes...

The End