RATales Archive

Course Of Events

by Scout


Title: Course of events
Author: Scout (gun4u_@hotmail.com)
Date: June 2001
Pairing: M/K
Disclaimer: Not mine... sob!
Spoilers: Slightly for Apocrypha, Terma and Red and the Black... Summary: Two of our favorite guys find themselves mysteriously locked in together... where it'll end? Shoo, go on reading...<g>
Authors note: First I want to thank Karen Leigh, I'm so very happy to have her as a beta :) Second, this is quite different from my other 3 stories so far. "Another" Alex de-lurked, and I had to drop my other "projects" for the moment... hard to deny that guy anything ;) Ok, I enjoyed writing this, and hope you'll like it too. Feedback? Yes Pleeease!!?


Okay, what is this now? Here I am, Alex Krycek, alias Ratboy according to some, lying in a most uncomfortable position in a pitch-dark room. This is pathetic, ... I hate reruns.

Where the heck am I? All I know is that I woke up with a splitting headache down here in this dump, wanting to curse at being cursed. It looks like a... dug-out, and I am... just my luck, cuffed to a pipe, leaving me rather helpless since my left arm isn't much help, as it ends above the elbow... fuck!

The last thing I remember is that I was on my way to deal with some business with Luis Cardinale. Friend of mine? No fucking way! Men in our business aren't friends. You never know when you will be turned against each other. Even if there were a chance to bond... like hell I'd do it with Cardinale. He's a shithead, and I work with him because I have to, but if it was up to me, I'd rather not. He's a freak... scary actually.

Okay Alex, think now. You use to be a smart guy; you'll figure something out. How can I wriggle myself out of this precarious situation? And better, where the fuck I am and who captured me? Who have I pissed off lately?

Where's Cardinale by the way? God! It hurts just to twist my head... well he's not here. I'm alone, which leaves him either in cahoots with my jailers or, hopefully, in even bigger trouble than me.

God help him if he set me up! I'll kill him for sure. I've tolerated his dirty tricks long enough, I'll beat him to pulp! Shit! You're pathetic Alex... he could already be pulp for all you know. You'd better hold off planning your vendetta until you know who the enemy is.

I'm feeling rather testy though; need to let of steam in some direction.

It must be day, there's sunlight streaming in through that little hole high up there. I wonder how long I've been lying here, can't be more than one night can it? I could really use something to drink that's for sure... my mouth's a fucking desert.

Maybe I should scream to get the attention from whoever these bastards are who put me here.

... But wait, someone's coming, I can hear footsteps. Okay, lay low Alex.

***

It all happened so fast. The door opened, a man was thrown in, and then the door was shut with a heavy thud. I had planned to pretend not to be awake yet, and catch a glimpse of my jailers. But it all went so fast, the only thing I managed was a weak "Hey!" before they were gone. Nicely worked Alex! Very nice indeed!

Okay, who's the lucky bastard thrown in here with me? Damn! It's so fucking dark, and I'm cuffed to the wall. Cardinale? No, no stupid ponytail there. If he would only turn around a bit... maybe I can reach him with my foot... yes, that's it... come on now turn around.

Wait a minute, that... fuck it's... Mulder! I can't believe it, of all people, I'm locked in with Mulder! Please let me wake up from this nightmare - right the fuck now. If I'm not going to die of thirst, I'm definitely going to die from smart-ass lecturing.

On the other hand his smart-ass statements had always amused me. Damn! He is attractive even unconscious. As a matter of fact he's really hot lying there with his tie and shirt ripped open and his normally well-combed hair tousled... and I'm stuck here in this rattrap with him.

Fuck I'm so bored I even wish Mulder was awake... come on Spooky, why don't you wake up now, tell me what's going on.

***

"Welcome to the land of the living. I thought you'd never awake up." I said grumpily when Mulder finally started to move. He moaned and blinked his eyes several times to focus in the dark. I could clearly see when he'd focused enough to see me, since he jerked visibly and his body tensed.

"Krycek! You bastard, what are you up to now?"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He was prejudiced as usual, the first thing that entered his mind was that I was behind all this. Sigh!

"Calm down Fox. If you haven't noticed I'm the one cuffed here."

"Don't call me Fox!" he snapped. I sighed again.

"Fox, William, Spooky, Mulder, dickhead, whatever."

He was quiet for a while, relaxing marginally, getting that curious look on his face that was so much Mulder.

"So where are we?" He asked.

"Fucked if I know!" I spat back, suddenly testy again. "I thought you might know."

"No idea. The last thing I remember is that I was..." he suddenly got quiet, and looked almost embarrassed. I looked intensely at him, but his gaze kept shifting as he avoided my eyes. What had he been up to? I was dying to know, but decided to let it go for the moment. Mulder could be really stubborn, I knew that from working with him... well if he could, I could also be a clam.

After a couple of minutes of glum silence, Mulder suddenly spoke.

"Okay, since we both seem to be in the same shit, we might as well co-operate. What do you say?"

I was really surprised to hear such a suggestion from Mulder, but saw the sense in the statement.

"That's fine with me. Do you have anything you can pick a handcuff lock?"

"What, you think I use hairpins or something?" He said sourly.

"Christ Mulder! What would I know... Okay, I should have a paperclip in my right boot."

"How convenient!" He said sarcastically, but moved closer. Then suddenly there was someone at the door again. A little hatch opened and a tray was slipped onto the floor. Mulder bolted for the door.

"Hey! Who are you? What do you want? Let us out!!"

It was pointless, the little hatch closed as quickly as the tray had been slipped in, and Mulder stood banging on the door in vain.

I really disliked the situation, couldn't help associate it with the silo. Listening to Mulder's shouts, I tried to figure out possible captors. Who'd like revenge on me? God! Who didn't? It would be easier counting the one's who weren't potential enemies.

Mulder had stopped shouting, and was pacing around the small room now. Whoever had captured me, had also captured Mulder... it didn't make any sense? I looked at Mulder for a while, then at the little tray by the door.

"Hey! Stop pacing you're making me nervous. Why don't you let me loose now?"

Mulder stopped, looking sadistically at me.

"I like you better cuffed."

"Come on now! I thought we would co-operate, and I'm really uncomfortable here."

He looked at me again, and I'd almost gave up hope that he would ever let me loose, when he suddenly came close, taking my right army boot off.

"Where is it?" He said grumpily.

"Under the sole."

"This is gross! You'll owe me one for this."

"Thanks, you're so tactful, but I agree if you get me loose I will."

Mulder found the little paperclip, bent it out and started to pick the lock. He wasn't as fast as I was doing this, and his closeness was tangible. I could smell his musk, watch him bite his lower lip in concentration... and it was torture. Finally the well-known click was heard and I took down the arm sighing with relief, rubbing the wrist against my thighs, feeling the blood come back to the fingers.

As soon as I was loose, Mulder backed off a step, almost suspiciously. I ignored him and went over to the tray, thank God, there was a bottle of water there.

He watched me drink, almost moaning with pleasure.

"Okay smart-ass, what are we going to do now?"

I almost laughed out loud at hearing him call me smart-ass, the thing I've called him in my thoughts so many times.

"Don't know about you, but I'm going to eat."

"You're going to eat that?"

"Why not? You never know when we'll get food again."

"What if it's poisoned?"

"I figure, if our captures wanted us dead or whatever, they already have done that. But suit yourself, it's not gourmet food, but I'm going to eat anyway."

"Well, I heard that rats have the ability to smell if the food's poisoned."

"What's is that rat-thing by the way?"

"What about it? Refuse to acknowledge your kin?"

He looked so smug. I decided I not going to let Mulder get to me, and didn't answer, but examined the food on the tray. Mulder didn't continue on the topic either, but came over to me, watching me taste the bread and stew.

"Good?" He asked. I looked at him; he was obviously hungry.

"Yes it's okay. Take some. As I said, you never know when your next meal will be."

He sighed, but took a piece of bread and dipped it in the stew. Nibbling carefully at it, and then seemed to decide it was good enough, and started to eat.

***

Evening came without any signs of our captors. It was very frustrating not knowing why we were locked in here, and by whom. But I had my guesses, wild ones at least.

We had examined the room thoroughly, picked the lock and even thought about trying to reach the little hole from which light streamed. However, the hole was too small and too high up, and the door bolted with hatches from the outside, so that was futile.

Mulder was very restless at the beginning, and my company seemed to bother him. At some points I almost wished he were unconscious again. He was much less of a pain in the ass that way but, if I wasn't going to knock him out, I might as well knock myself out to get some peace.

I snapped something about that to him, and we wrangled at each other for a moment, until I got fed up and decided to be quiet, trying not to bother about the smug look on his face. Okay, if he thought he'd won and that made him feel good, I could afford that. He was so stubborn and childish at times, but the worst thing was that I sensed that it was also mostly deliberate, that he enjoyed getting to me, analyzing my reactions.

That annoyed me more than I wanted to admit, so I curled up on the floor and decided to try to sleep. I was exhausted, couldn't come up with any ideas for escape right now, and couldn't handle the wrangle with Mulder due to a major headache, so I thought I'd better sleep and deal with the problems tomorrow.

It had become rather dark in the room, but our eyes had gotten used to the dark, why we could see each other relatively clearly. The small room was damp and cold, and the temperature seemed to drop with each passing hour. Mulder had also settled and sat with his arms around his knees shivering slightly in his thin skirt.

"You're freezing, come over here and we can help each other keep warm." I said. Mulder looked at me with a strange, nearly horrified expression on his face.

"Shit Fox! I'm not going to bite, and I don't have fleas. Get your ass over here, it's just going to get colder, and we have a better chance to keep warm by being together."

Considering this a few moments, Mulder finally moved over to me, shivering. I took off my leather jacket and put it over his shoulders.

"Won't you freeze?" He asked.

"You can have it awhile until you get warm again, then we'll share it"

"I... think it's big enough for the both of us... if we cuddle together," Mulder said quietly. I looked at him, he lay down on his side and I embraced him from behind, covering our upper bodies with my heavy leather jacket.

He was tense for a while, shivering occasionally, then he gradually relaxed, as my body warmth radiated over to him.

"I like the smell of your leather jacket," he said.

"You should get one Fox. The best outfit you can have, it becomes a part of you actually."

"Don't call me Fox."

I smiled, and quietly decided from that moment to persist in calling him Fox.

"Whatever you say... Fox." He tensed again, and I was suddenly feeling less tired.

"Trying to make me angry so I'll get warm Ratboy?"

"Whatever works," I said, ignoring his nickname for me. Coming from him, I actually enjoyed it. Sure, I'd be his ratboy. He tried to turn to see my face, but it was too dark, and I held him too tight.

"Don't move, it's warm and cozy for a change." I said. I wanted to remain like this, to fall asleep like this. He relaxed in my embrace, and actually cuddled closer, sighing and said goodnight.

We lay there quietly, I could tell he wasn't asleep, and I wondered what was going on in his brain right now. I knew for sure what was going on in mine and those thoughts went right to my cock, making it rise. I hoped he wasn't feeling my erection, thank God for tight jeans.

Finally, exhaustion got the better of me, and I drifted off peacefully.

***

... Mmmph? Someone please turn off the lights... No one did and I drowsily moved my head and it got darker. It was then I felt it, how utterly uncomfortable I was, and that my arm with the prosthesis was somehow stuck. A heavy weight on the other had made it all numb, and I carefully opened my eyes.

There he was, of course, how could I've forgotten about yesterday? Mulder... no Fox, lay close, cuddled up against my side with his head on my upper arm. The light that had bothered me and finally woken me, was a thin streak of the sun, streaming in from the little hole in the ceiling.

I looked down at Fox again. He looked so peaceful, so content. In his sleep, he had pulled almost the whole jacket over himself, leaving just a part of the sleeve over me. I wasn't cold though, I had always been rather tolerant of the cold, and my sweater with accompanying t-shirt was probably much warmer than Fox's thin shirt and undershirt.

I decided that I liked this, for me, new side of Fox, very much. No smugness, no tension and hard to interpret expressions. He was so relaxed and beautiful. He almost made me unaware of our situation... almost. I looked at the tray by the door, it was untouched. No one had been here, and it was quiet as in a grave. Fuck, don't think of graves! You can get claustrophobic for less.

Finally I got fed up with sleeping beauty lying on my arm, making it hurt. I withdrew it carefully but firm, making Fox protest in his sleep, moaning. Sitting up, rubbing my aching arm, cursing silently, I suddenly heard a sleepy voice.

"Where did my pillow go?"

"Your fucking pillow got fed up with your thick head!" I exclaimed sourly. Fox blinked a couple of times, raised on his elbow and looked at me with an innocent expression in his eyes.

"Someone's got a bad morning temper."

He smiled, then became aware of my pain and all of a sudden got very serious. Looking at me, head tipped and with a concerned frown on his brow. I could almost believe that he cared...

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, and I could hardly believe my ears. I'd never thought I'd hear such words from him. Realizing that he had the whole jacket over himself, he looked even more sorry, passing it over.

"No, you keep it on, I'm warm enough" I said. He looked uncertainly at me, but I nodded as confirming as I could. "It's not a gift, just a loan... come on put it on, I'm better dressed than you anyway."

He put the leather jacket on, and relaxed marginally.

"It's really cozy."

"I told you, you have to buy one." I smiled at him, and was amazed by the smile I got back. If the whole situation wasn't so fucked up, this could be some experience, rather interesting actually.

***

In between argument and agreement, teasing and co-operation, we had alternately comforted each other. Now we sat almost exhausted on the floor looking at nothing in particular.

We had been locked in this hellhole for three nights now. We hadn't seen anyone since the food tray was put in the first day, and the hunger had become rather unpleasant... not to mention the thirst.

Even with attempts at rationing, the bottle of water was soon emptied. We had tried every possible way of getting out, even attempting to climb up to the little hole in the ceiling.

I tried very hard to calm myself, not to panic. I never was the type to panic, but closed areas surely got to me after the horror of the silo. I had restrained myself a long time now, holding to the hope of someone coming soon. But now I felt that I was close to blowing, that the primitive side of me wanted to scream and dig with my bare fingers, as I did in the silo.

I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing, trying to lead my thoughts to something else. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up, leaving the place I've painted in my imagination.

"Closed areas really bug you don't they?"

I looked up into Fox's face; he had a serious expression in his eyes. Nothing mocking at all.

"I have had some bad experiences with it." I said, adding more lightly, trying to make a joke of it. "How are your psychological skills? Ever manage to cure claustrophobia in an instant?"

He had one of those hard to interpret expressions on his face; that are so much Fox Mulder. And I wondered what was going on in that brain of his.

"You're very sexy, you know that?"

I almost choked... no, I did! Which was not easy considering my dry throat. Did he say what I thought he said?

"W... what?"

He looked almost amused, yet cautious.

"You heard me"

"...Yes I did, and I salute your psychological skills... you've definitely got my mind off claustrophobia with... what is it called... diversion?"

"No, I'm serious. I can't help it, but that's what's been occupying my thoughts for some time now"

"You're not shy, I have to give you that." I was amazed, thrilled, but amazed. This is real isn't it? No one had yet jumped up screaming: Smile, you're on candid camera... God!

"I can tell you're experiencing something similar?" He looked intensely at me, and I looked back.

"This is fucking crazy." I mumbled and gripped his head, leaning forward and kissed him. Withdrawing a bit, bracing myself for a hit, which didn't come. Fox had his eyes closed, waiting for more.

I cursed in Russian, pulled him back firmly and kissed him again harder, longer, deeper. He moaned in pleasure, holding me hard, digging his fingers so deep into my flesh that it almost hurt.

"God Alex... oh!"

I'd be damned... he called me Alex? What the fuck is this? This is getting more and more twisted... but oh so nice!

Feeling his cock hard and bulging against my leg, my own erection wasn't slow in rising.

"Get out of those pants of yours now." I whispered thickly.

"You want in?" Fox gasped. Always a smart-ass, he was priceless.

I didn't answer, just breathing hard, starting to unbutton my own jeans. He unzipped his pants, seemed to think that I took too long struggling with my buttons, pushed my hand away and took over.

He stroked my cock through the boxers, before I could get the jeans down, and I moaned with pleasure. Trying to wriggle out of my tight jeans, but just managed to get them down my ankles, when he pushed himself against me.

Rolling around we hit something... that gave way... and we tumbled out into a corridor, all shocked and surprised at the sudden enlargement of our limited space.

There we lay staring at our surroundings, blinking as if we couldn't believe our own eyes. Fox, bare ass up, me with my jeans tangled down my ankles... it was a stupid sight, but both of us were too confused to grasp the hilarity in the situation.

"...What the...?" Fox started.

"...Hell!" I filled in for him.

"The... the door was open... how long...?" Fox gasped. We looked stupidly at each other, feeling the blood rush from our middles to our tops.

I looked down at my half bare legs, then at Fox's lower body, and felt something almost hysterical bubble up inside of me. Bursting out in laughter I couldn't suppress, Fox looked almost indignantly at me, fumbling up his boxers.

"Will you be quiet! There might be someone hearing us." He hushed at me. I wiped my eyes, looking at him again.

"I'd be happy to meet and slowly strangle whoever had the audacity to treat us like this." I said seriously... and couldn't help guffawing again. "I... I love your boxers, didn't know you were such a great fan of the Pink Panther... ET I would buy, that's reasonable for you I guess, but a big, stupid, freaking pink panther?"

Fox looked most uncomfortable, and I couldn't restrain myself.

"I'm glad I amuse you, he said grumpily "but these were the only ones clean, and I didn't buy them. I..why the heck am I trying to explain myself to you for?" He got up and pulled up his pants with an over- exaggerated expression of hurt on his face.

I stood up as well, and pulled up my jeans, starting the effort to button them again.

"I'm sorry, couldn't help myself. I coughed to hide the giggles that I couldn't suppress, pulled myself together and cleared my throat. "Okay, let's see where this corridor takes us, we're still co-operating huh?"

Fox looked at me and nodded.

"Yes, we were in this shit together, and we'll get out of it together." He said. I had gotten serious again, could hardly wait to find where we were. I looked at him and nodded with a dangerous smile.

"They'll pay for this goddamn it. Get the jacket, and then we'll leave this dump.

***

I was really tense when we started down the corridor. The fact that we probably could have gotten out earlier really annoyed me. That, together with the absence of our cowardly captors, our location and on top of that, the abrupt interruption of our dreamed of consummation and I was someone you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night.

The corridor was long, empty, and solid concrete. Somehow I doubted that we would find a living soul in here, but we still advanced in careful silence, on full alert. We were both too experienced to just assume safety, and I sure wished I could feel the heavy metal of a gun in my hand.

We work well together I have to admit. Fox was the only guy I'd actually trust to cover my back in tricky situations, and I hope that the feeling was mutual. Anyway, we were on the same wavelength and understood each other, just using facial expressions and hand signs.

A couple of side corridors suddenly made me truly feel like a rat...a test rat in a maze. We looked at each other and silently took a corridor each to examine. After a good fifteen minutes of searching, we established that the building was empty, and we found a way out. Carefully pushing the door open, we found ourselves looking out into a dense forest. No sounds of civilization and trees as far as the eye could see...this was unexpected.

"Okay, what's the joke, where are we?" Fox suddenly burst out. We had been quiet so long, that I almost jumped by the sound of his voice.

"Not on planet Mars at least, that's a good thing to start with" I muttered cynically, but also feeling happy and relieved to be out in open space.

"How would you know?" Fox added wryly.

I gave him a glance, and started to walk around the building. After a while Fox decided to follow, walking silently in my footsteps.

"There are no vehicle tracks." He said from behind.

I had noticed that too, but how the hell did we get here? Leaning back I looked up at the building; backing up a few steps, I realized the size of the flat roof.

"The roof's big enough for a chopper to land." I stated.

"Yes, but shouldn't we have been able to hear a chopper if there was one?"

"Well, that's true" I sighed. "Okay, somehow we were transported from DC to...here, but the main thing is that we are here, isn't it? And I'm not planning to stay put." I looked into the forest trying to decide which direction I should choose.

"We should fetch the water bottle, and I spotted a piece of a tarpaulin in one of the rooms." Fox said.

I looked at Fox; he looked so out of place in his Armani pants with shirt and tie hanging loose. My black leather jacket fitted him though, made him look very sexy indeed. I shook my head to divert my mind.

I had to admit the wisdom in his suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, had just wanted to leave this dump as fast as possible.

"For a city slicker, that was pretty smart." I said with an evil grin. Fox shrugged, and we walked back into the building, even if every fiber in my claustrophobic mind screamed at me not to.

***

After walking a couple of hours over rough terrain, we spotted a little creek that twisted through the mossy ground. In my dehydrated state, I considered it the most wonderful creek I had ever laid eyes on, and by the look on Fox's face, he obviously thought the same.

With a delighted yelp...yes, a yelp actually, Fox rushed down to it, kneeling down dipping his cupped hands. I felt a wolfish smile spread over my face, and took a leap over a rotten tree stump, accompanying him.

The water was cold, and had a taste of soil and grass. It didn't bother me though, I had come so far that I would have considered drinking water from the gutter...and this water tasted better than champagne right now. At least the creek was running, a fact that was much better than drinking from stagnant water.

Leaning back with a delighted moan, feeling rather content actually, I gazed up to the sky that was visible between the high treetops. The water splashed so nicely, the air was so clear and I wasn't thirsty anymore. Living the life I lived, I've learned to value even the slightest moment of feeling comfort.

Fox joined me on the bank and we spread out the tarpaulin and lay on it resting our legs, enjoying the sound of unlimited water.

"So what's the plan now?" Fox asked. I kept my gaze up to the slowly swaying treetops, so beautiful in their myriad of colors.

"The same as yours, I guess; take us back to civilization, back to DC. Then I'll visit some people and perform a minor inquisition."

"Maybe we should follow the creek. It will prevent our walking in circles and creeks often end in lakes, by which people often live."

"Well, the genius speaks again." I said ironically, "Now, if you could just come up with how to spot the nearest restaurant." I said, pressing at my rumbling stomach.

"These leaves are good actually."

I turned my head to look at him, propping my head on my elbow. The bastard was lying there chewing on leaves like any other ruminant.

"Fuck, you're the guy that was suspicious of perfectly good bread and stew. Now you're eating unknown plants?"

He gave me a grin, lifting one of his eyebrows.

"You never joined the Cubs ratboy? This is sorrel."

I looked at the clover-shaped leaves he gave me, and then put them in my mouth to chew. The taste was somehow tart, but rather good. Problem was that I would need a couple of buckets of those to fill my stomach, but it was good for the moment.

I was a little bit amazed of how well we had behaved together so far, but didn't trust it to last forever. It was just a matter of time before we would be at each other's throats again. I also wondered whether we would finish what we started in the dugout... giving the chewing man beside me a furtive glance...I sure hoped so.

A few leaves and gulps of water later, we started to walk again. Feeling in better spirits, we almost went back into our regular wrangle again, and I almost enjoyed life.

***

Night came, and with it a gushing autumn rain. We managed to build a little shelter with the tarpaulin and some branches, and now we cuddled together under it, trying to keep warm.

"I should never have prayed for water." I muttered and shuddered a bit from the cold that radiated from my uncovered back.

"Wouldn't have taken you for the prayer type, ratboy." Fox tried sarcastically.

"Well right now I'd pray for some fucking adhesive for your mouth!" I snapped, a little bit testy with all this shit.

Fox obeyed, and we lay there shivering in silence. I realized that the silence bothered me more than the talking.

..."So when are you going to tell me what you were doing when you got caught?" I asked, trying to sound less curious than I was.

"You've got some imagination haven't you" I could hear the smile in his voice, "Well, you figure that out yourself." He laughed, and I cursed. Of course, I couldn't trick Fox; he knew how much it ate at me not to know.

"That's so mean." I whispered in his ear.

"Well thanks, I take that as a compliment coming from you." He laughed again, and I found that I liked the sound of it.

I felt that I was starting to warm up again, when the wind suddenly twisted the tarpaulin, making a little gush of water run down one side, nearly hitting me on the back. Silently cursing, I shuddered and embraced Fox harder, wanted to keep him warm. God, this was so twisted! If I'd wanted to camp out, I could have fucking arranged that myself.

If I wasn't so cold, hungry and deadly tired, I would have enjoyed lying so close, cuddled together with Fox like this. However, neither of us wanted really to take off any clothes right now, and sleep finally came as a blessing.

***

I woke to birdsong, something that I might...just might have appreciated in another situation. Feeling the rumbling hole in my stomach I wished that I had my gun, then I would be able to shoot one of the little fuckers. It felt like I could gladly eat one of them raw.

I opened my eyes and saw that the sun shone again. It was a beautiful autumn morning, but I couldn't quite enjoy the beauty of it...it was actually almost mocking.

Fox had cuddled so close that it seemed like he had wanted to crawl inside of me. It was warm were we touched each other, but most of me felt miserable in my damp cold clothes, throat aching like hell when I swallowed.

I needed to get out in the sun, to stretch my frozen joints and dry my wet sweater. The tarpaulin had given way a bit on my side, and the water had poured from it right behind me. I was almost lying in a little puddle of water, freezing my butt off.

Looking at Fox I was satisfied to see that he seemed rather dry from lying on a little elevation of the ground. Carefully loosing myself from him I crawled out from the shelter, knees cracking when I stood up. The autumn sun felt good, but didn't warm me that much...God I could use a hot shower right now.

My non-existent arm hurt, it sometimes did that in bad weather. Taking my sweater, and T-shirt off, I could almost squeeze the water from them, and I silently cursed the rain. Putting them up on some branches, I hoped that the sun would dry them. Sitting down on a rock at the sunniest spot I could find, I looked around the forest. How big could this fucking greenhouse be? Turning my face to the sun, I felt that I was slowly getting warmer.

An unexpected sound from behind, made me turn my head quickly, reaching for a gun that wasn't there. It was Fox, holding my leather jacket tight around him, looking somewhat rested.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

"Given our accommodations, rather well I guess" I said rustily. I cleared my throat and spit on the ground...damned throat.

I could feel his gaze upon me and looked at him. He lowered his eyes almost as if embarrassed. I twisted uncomfortably; I didn't want him to be able to see my mutilated arm. I almost loathed seeing it myself sometimes...feeling so ugly and incomplete, so angry and unfairly treated.

My torso was bare, I knew it was well trained, but also maimed...and I didn't want him to see me like this. Agonizing over the thought of how long he had been awake watching me, and also feeling stupid to even care about what he would think.

"Don't hide Alex. You're beautiful." His voice so low, almost sad. I lifted my eyes and met his...they were so honest, so warm, and I felt the tears burn in my eyes and I stood up quickly. Walking towards my clothes I cursed over and over again at suddenly being so emotional. Keeping such things suppressed for years, I wasn't feeling comfortable handling it.

Forcing my damp T-shirt over my head and taking the sweater in my hand, I bit my teeth hard together, took a deep breath and went over to take down the tarpaulin. I wanted desperately to leave this forest right the fuck now.

We started to walk again, after eating some more of those God damned leaves...what the fuck was this forest anyway? I pictured places like this crawling with berries and mushrooms at this time of the year. I knew I could manage to go on without food for a rather long time. But hunger made me a little bit testy, something I could see in Fox as well. Okay, we haven't the best history of friendship in our past, but it had started so well this time. Now we just walked on in silence, occupying our thoughts with moving our feet, getting back to DC, strangling some rotten bastards there, food, hot showers...Oh fuck, stop it now Alex!

***

In the afternoon we came to a little ravine, down which the creek flowed in a small waterfall. We looked down to the bottom, it wasn't so deep, but rather steep. I walked along the ravine a little bit, looking for a good place to climb down...when I heard a shout. Running back I saw marks in the slippery grass, where Fox had slipped down. Stupid ass! I tried to see him down there, but there were too many bushes in the way. Shouting his name got no answer either...God damn it!

With some effort I carefully slid down, a little bit at a time, grabbing frantically at the grass and bushes.

He lay there gasping, looking up at me when I came down.

"W...why didn't you answer me when I called?" I coughed, the air stung my lungs, "I thought you might have broken your fucking neck!"

"I lost my...breath." he panted.

"Found it I see." I said sourly, trying to regain my own. "Okay, anyway we came down rather fast now, come on." I smirked and reached my hand to help him up. The grimace he made when he was trying to stand up washed away the smirk from my face; he was obviously in pain.

"I must have hurt my ankle." He said piteously.

I rubbed my hand over my face, not even trying to hide my sighs, and crouched down.

"Which one?"

"The right."

Carefully I took his shoe and sock off, feeling the bones.

"It's probably not broken, just twisted, come on, you should chill it down a bit in the creek, it will swell less."

Helping him to the creek, letting him sit a while with the ankle in the cold water, I ripped my T-shirt, tying it firm around his ankle. This was bad...and pathetic. What the hell, we were two well-trained agents...or I was a...shit! And we were fumbling around this forest like tourists.

After a look at Fox's somewhat subdued expression, I calmed myself, our starting point had on the other hand not been the best. Okay, this is what the training is for I concluded, to not give up, to find solutions. And I wasn't the person to give up, maybe I'd bitch a bit, but I'd never ever give up.

"We might as well stay here for the night." I said, rubbing my temples. "I could use the rest too"

"Yeah, we might as well" Fox said low, glaring sorrowfully at his foot.

I almost felt sorry for him...almost. That was also a feeling I had suppressed, and it hit me as hard as the feeling of shame this morning. What is he doing to me? How can this man affect me so much? God! I'm pathetic.

***

It was dark and cold, but the good thing was that it wasn't raining. We lay close together rolled in the tarpaulin...thank God for the tarpaulin. I was holding Fox tightly, as on all the other nights since we first met in the dugout, and I felt rather warm and cozy. It had almost become a habit, and sometimes felt like the most natural thing in the world. I didn't want to think of any future lonely and cold nights, without Fox cuddling close. This felt so good, somewhat bewildering, but still so right.

Lying still, listening to Fox's steady breathing, burrowing my nose in the back of the well-known leather jacket; I was content with my life.

"...I was looking for you."

The low voice cut through the silence, and it took me a while to register what he had been saying.

"What?" I asked drowsily, realizing that I had been on the edge of sleep.

Fox took a deep breath, and continued without turning.

"When I got caught...I needed to find you after our last encounter in my apartment...when you could have shot me...when you kissed me on the cheek."

I was quiet for a while considering this new information. He had been looking for me?

"How did you know where to search?" Important but stupid question, on the other hand I was feeling rather dumbfounded.

"It wasn't easy, but I have some contacts."

"The Lone Gunmen?"

"Yes."

I blew out some air, which came out as smoke in the cold night. Hell! How could they know anything about my whereabouts? I worked my ass off to stay incognito.

"Nosy little bastards those three." I said, trying not to sound too annoyed.

Fox snorted "Yes, but they are sure good to have...on the other hand you're a slippery rat, I'm not sure I would have found you actually, if it wasn't for this abduction."

"And was it worth it...finding me?" I whispered in his ear.

He turned a bit, and I could see something mischievous sparkle in his eyes in the starlight.

"We were interrupted remember? So I don't actually know yet"

Oh brother! We were out here in this forest from hell, starving, cold, miserable, and Fox wanted to...? On the other hand...I felt something tingle in my body...I could think of worse ways to pass the time.

"You don't know do you?" I said, nibbling at his ear, kissing down his jawbone and bit at the collar of my leather jacket he was wearing, shaking my head, and growling playfully.

Fox grabbed my head with both of his hands, lifted it up to his lips, and we kissed. His lips so lush and sweet, the taste of my Fox was so intoxicating. He moaned and grabbed me like he had in the dugout...almost enough to hurt...but oh what a good hurt!

I could feel the blood pulse in my veins, couldn't hear anything else but my own heartbeat, the deep breaths and Fox's moans. Wrapped in the stiff tarpaulin, we didn't have much room to maneuver...damn tarpaulin...on the other hand, we got so much closer to each other...I take it back, blessed tarpaulin...

My hand slipped down, and I could feel his hard cock...this wasn't happening, was it? It almost hurt at the crotch, as my erect cock wanted out of the tight jeans. But it was! Oh yes, it was happening!

I could hear my own moans, and they made Fox thrust even harder against me. He slid his hands down and unbuttoned my jeans. Wriggling out of our pants under the thick canvas we pressed against each other. Oh fuck! If someone interrupts us now I'll rip his or her throat out!

"Oh please Alex! Come for me...come for me!"

After some struggle and teasing in the limited space, I did, and I could almost swear that there were fireworks cracking in the night sky at that moment. Afterwards lying together, Fox cuddled his face on my chest. I was so warm and happy, I had almost forgotten about where we were. I could hear the uneven breathing of Fox, almost sobbing.

"Did I hurt you?" I asked worried.

"No, not at all. I'm just so happy, lying here listening to your heartbeats."

I relaxed again, smiled, stroking my hand over his back up to his head to play with his hair.

"I'm also so happy lyubimaya."

Fox snuggled closer upon me, and we lay together caressing each other, affectionately sharing this moment of total bliss.

***

Stinking hell! I hated waking up coughing. Suppressing the spasms I stretched myself and opened my eyes, meeting the eyes of Fox. He had a strange expression on his face, and I wondered how long he had been awake, looking at me. Usually I had been waking up before him, something I felt more comfortable with. Maybe I was uncomfortable having someone see me when I was off guard, vulnerable and so much myself. Or maybe it was some kind of stupid feeling of having the upper hand in some minor way...I wasn't sure.

"You okay? That doesn't sound too good" Fox said looking seriously at me.

"I'm fine," I said shortly, not wanting to talk about me. "...How's the foot?"

"A little bit stiff and sore, but I think I'll manage to walk on it."

We didn't mention last night, but I could sense that there was something different between us. I couldn't quite put a finger on it, but the feeling was confirmed by the look in Fox's eyes. It had happened, it wasn't a dream, and neither of us seemed to regret what had happened. I sat up, taking Fox's foot on my knee and examined it.

"It doesn't look that bad, but I think you'll rather limp on it, than walk."

"I hate to delay us like this" Fox said, pouting his lower lip. A habit of his that I don't think he was aware of.

I looked at him in amusement, forgetting the mess we were in; just caring about now; that we were sitting together, actually bothering ourselves about each other.

"Yeah, if it wasn't for you being such a clumsy Bigfoot, I'd be sitting eating blueberry pancakes right now" I said teasingly.

"God! Don't mention pancakes, you wicked rat!" Fox moaned.

I laughed quietly, ready to open my mouth for a quick response...when I heard a sound far away.

"What? What is it?" Fox asked worriedly, seeing my suddenly stiff features.

"Shh! Listen..."

There it was again, the sound of sirens far away, coming on the wind to us. Fox eyes were big and his expression almost hilarious.

"Get your ass up now! We're moving towards the pancakes!" Fox shouted, bouncing up like a compressed spring, but carefully avoiding pressure on his foot.

I laughed out loud, a sound almost unfamiliar to my ears, but oh, it felt so good. Like Fox, I already had visions of food and warmth, and I wasn't late in getting up on my feet.

***

Two days later...

"God damn it Krycek! You have to believe me, it wasn't me!"

I looked at the bloodied face and restrained myself...marginally.

"So who was it then?" I asked, voice treacherously calm.

"Fucked if I know. Someone knocked me down, I woke up alone."

Sighing, I pushed Cardinale from me, leaving him in a moaning heap, walking around the room steaming.

It wasn't him, I was sure of that. Even if he was deceiving me, a master of playing innocent, I could sense it wasn't him. It was a little bit too devious and ironic for him.

I looked at him, spotting the murderous glares he gave me, knowing that I'd just acquired yet another deadly enemy. I could, of course, kill him myself. Closing my fist so that the leather over the knuckles cracked, I blew out air and decided not to.

I knew where I had this stupid ass. He was dangerous because he was cold-hearted, slippery and unreliable, but I had a few aces up my sleeve against him too. If we encountered each other again, I was sure that one of us would end up dead...maybe it was an unwise decision to let him go, but...no, I'm not as bad as him...or at least I want to be better.

Saying some nasty words to him in Russian and spitting on the ground, I left him walking out with confident steps. Okay, where should I go next?

***

I was back on my own hunting grounds again. Fox and I had entered a smaller village, far away from DC. After stuffing food in our faces, we took ourselves to an airport, arranged tickets and flew back home.

Back in DC, it felt so strange to leave each other. We stood shy as boys, not quite knowing what to say. Even Fox had hard time finding words, not so much of a smart-ass anymore. We both agreed that we had to meet again, but I needed to sort things out first and I wanted to find Cardinale.

He made me promise to contact him again, to not disappear like I had so many times. I made that promise to him, and I really intended to keep it. I could almost see worry in his eyes when I left. It felt so strange, but also good. Now it all felt so distant, like a dream...had it really happened?

I'd met with the Consortium members. They wondered why I hadn't done my job, where I had been. I wondered whether they lied or not...trust no one...deny everything...never reveal the truth... these were words I had to live by, working with them.

Understanding that I'd probably never have any answers to by whom and why we were captured, I finally decided to leave it. It was very frustrating, but something I had to take. Maybe some day I would find out what the meaning behind our abduction might have been. If there had been any thought behind keeping us out of the way for this period of time I could not find the reason. It had put Fox and me together though...if it wasn't a dream...and I was thrilled about the time to come.

I ached to see him again. But my less than sympathetic employers kept me going without any mercy...Oh Fox I need you!

***

Mulder

The streets were rain slick and the lights from the car glittered in the water on the dark asphalt. Driving into the garage I sighed deeply, so depressed at coming home again to my dark empty apartment.

Life had soon arranged itself in its natural patterns...but nothing was the same anymore. I hadn't told anyone about my adventures, since that dark evening I had decided to track a rat. I wasn't sure anybody would understand...didn't quite understand it myself.

Alex and I had separated short after we had arrived in DC. I remember feeling so sad watching him walk away into the night. There was also a feeling of fear that I might not see him again, and I had to restrain myself from running after him.

Then I had realized that I was still wearing his jacket. Touching the soft leather, smelling it...so much Alex in it, I waved down a taxi.

I realized I was standing outside my door, not really aware of how I took myself from the garage. Fumbling with my key in the lock, I went in, not bothering to switch the lights on. Walking in the dark to my well-used couch, I dropped down on it, deep in thought.

It was about three weeks since we parted, and it was killing me not knowing how he was doing. I wondered if he had found something out about our abduction; or if he had gotten himself into more trouble. I was both worried and angry, and I had a hard time concentrating on my work, making Scully wonder what was the matter with me.

She knew me so well. Her piercing blue eyes penetrated me, aware that something was bugging me. But this was something I couldn't share with her...not now, if ever. There had always been something between Scully and me. Not love, but a very deep friendship, maybe a little bit of a brother-sister thing. It wasn't love...love was the thing I had experienced together with Alex...Alex where are you?

It was then my eyes fell on a little parcel, neatly wrapped, lying on the coffee table. Heart bouncing hard, I took it up, turning it in my hands. There was no note, nothing written on it, just a plain gray paper with cotton yarn around it. I looked around the apartment; it was totally quiet in here, just the sounds from the cars outside. Returning my attention to the little parcel, I carefully loosened the yarn, unwrapped the paper. Finding myself blinking my eyes at a pair of boxers with smiling faces of Mickey the Mouse, I heard a husky voice whisper in my ear.

"I hope you'll wear these for me instead of the ones with the freaking panther." Feeling my heart skip a beat I turned around, looking at Alex. There he stood in the dusky light, looking more attractive than ever. He had obviously found his leather jacket in my apartment, and was wearing it together with a happy but cautious expression on his face.

I stared at him, unable to speak for the moment.

"You have to have some dignity you know." Alex continued with a slight smile. "So I thought a kin of mine would be more appropriate near your more noble parts."

At last my paralysis dropped, and I could speak again.

"Oh my God Alex! You could have scared me to death."

"Didn't know you were so easily spooked." he smirked, obviously not believing me.

"I had almost lost hope seeing you again." I whispered.

He was quiet for a moment, and then sat down in an armchair, and lifted his eyes with a serious expression.

"I promised I'd come back."

Sucked in by those green eyes, I was suddenly feeling so good again.

"And I'm glad you kept that promise."

"You really are, aren't you?" He said almost amazed.

"Do you want me to show you how glad I am?" I said, suddenly feeling very warm.

"Well I wouldn't argue if you did." He said, with a flash of white teeth in the soft lights from the streetlights.

So happy, I felt so unbelievably happy...Looking at the beautiful man sitting beside me, carefully looking at me under his long, thick lashes. I felt that I wouldn't mind at all, showing him my full measure of happiness. If it took the rest of my life, I would consider it worth it.

"Okay, come here then ratboy" I whispered, smiling as encouragingly and seductively as I could...and he did, he did come to me...Oh God, my rat was back!

End