RATales Archive

Breakdown

by Siberian Skys


Title: Breakdown
Author: Siberian Skys
Rating: R
Classification: M/K slash
Spoilers: Anything in the series is fair game.
Archive: Yes, as long as the header remains attached and you let me know where.
Summary: Alex discovers that Mulder is even more emotionally disturbed than he originally thought.
Disclaimers: No copyright infringement intended.
Notes: This is the fourth story in the Stalled in Fargo series. The first three stories are Stalled in Fargo, Snow Day and Ditched. My undying thanks to Xscribe for her timely and patient beta.
Feedback: Would be greatly appreciated by SiberianSkys@aol.com


Alex woke to a warm thumb gently stroking his cheek.

"I'm sorry," Mulder whispered, "that you had to take care of me. I should have been the one caring for you--you're hurt."

Settling against the headboard, Alex groaned. He accepted the steaming cup of what smelled like Earl Grey.

Mulder gingerly probed the black and blue contusion with the tips of his fingers and winced along with his lover as he explored the area. "Are you sure nothing's broken?"

"Did you get your MD while I was out?" Alex snapped. He immediately regretted it when Mulder flinched at his tone. Mulder was acting so normally that it was so easy to forget that he was anything but. "I've had broken ribs before--this is nothing," Alex consoled as he leaned forward for a kiss.

Mulder jerked back and climbed off the bed, his breathing rapid and shallow. He stumbled out of the room.

Alex slumped back against the headboard and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. He jumped as drawers slammed across the hall. Rolling off the bed, he went to stand in the guest room's doorway and watched as Mulder shoved his belongings into a large duffle. He couldn't help but smirk at the incongruous site of his lover packing in the nude.

Feeling Alex's eyes on him, Mulder looked up and returned his gaze.

The resignation in Mulder's expression was more chilling than his earlier rage.

"I'm of no use to you any more," Mulder said, worrying his lower lip.

Alex moved around the bed and took the gray t-shirt from Mulder's clutched hands. Tossing it onto the bed, he wrapped his arm around his lover's waist and drew him close.

Mulder turned his face into Alex's neck and toyed with the hair at his nape. "You can't leave me alone; you can't trust me to back you up; the only thing left for you to do is shoot me," he said, unnaturally calm.

Feeling like he'd been kicked in the stomach, Alex grasped for something to say--to do-- to get Mulder off this train of thought. Needing time to think, he asked, "Why were you packing?"

"I didn't want you to have to do it after I'm gone," Mulder whispered, his lips brushing Alex's ear.

The End