Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
620
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,378

Drabble: Pursuit of a Wanted Felon

Summary:

small scene, partly based on the ep "Pursuit of a Wanted Felon"

Work Text:

Danny let himself into his hotel room. With a weary sigh, he slipped off his jacket and threw it over a chair. He loosened his tie. "What a long day."

Danny walked over to the window and pulled the curtain. He had no desire to see the night lights of Toledo. In fact, once he was out of town, he hoped never to never have to visit again.

It wasn't that the city was so bad, but the FBI agents there left a bad taste in his mouth. FBI Agent Mullin cracked the top five on his list of stupid, bonehead people. "I tried to warn him."

Danny shook his head and sat down on the side of the bed. He dropped his tie on the night stand and then took off his shoes and socks. He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed in frustration.

The phone ringing startled Danny. He reached for the receiver. "Hello," he said gruffly.

"Hello to you, too," Joey's voice answered cheerfully.

The sound of Joey's voice instantly drained some of Danny's tension away and his shoulders slumped. "Joey."

Joey easily heard the strain Danny was under and wanted to help Danny vent. "I heard there was a problem trying to capture Holman."

Danny growled. "It was a fiasco from the very beginning. By the time I got there, Mullin had helicopters, search lights, and anything else to make as big a spectacle as possible."

"It sounds like he wanted to get his picture in the paper."

Danny snorted. "I normally wouldn't give a damn about that as long as he caught his man. Unfortunately, he didn't have his men do a search for Holman's car."

"You can't be serious," Joey interrupted.

Danny stretched out on the bed, on his back. "If you like that, you'll love this. He got on his bullhorn and called for Holman to come out before his people could cover all of the exits."

"So, Holman got away," Joey said in disbelief. "How could the FBI put someone like Mullin in charge?"

"I don't know. I tried to stop him and get him to wait until Mike got there. Then he threatened to have me arrested if I continued to interfere."

"He's lucky I wasn't there."

Danny smiled at Joey's protective tone. "I know."

"What did the Lieutenant do when he got there?"

Danny pictured the fury on Mike's face. "He hit the roof." He grinned maliciously. "He's down at the FBI office right now, tearing Mullin a new one."

"Good," Joey said flatly. "I wish I was there to hear it."

"Me, too, but he sent me back here. He said that I dealt enough with the idiots for one night." Danny rubbed his eyes with his free hand. "So, how was dinner at your mother's?"

Joey groaned. "She keeps asking me when I'm going to find a nice girl, settle down, and get married."

Danny chuckled. "It doesn't get any easier. My mom still does that to me."

"But yours lives in Florida. Mine is here," Joey whined.

"You're just going to have to live with her being nosy. You are the baby of the family."

"And the only one of four kids not to be married. I know. Sometimes, I wanted to tell her about us just to shut her up."

"Yeah, that would do it," Danny said wryly. "She'd be stunned."

Joey laughed quietly and whispered earnestly, "I miss you."

Danny gripped the receiver tightly. "I miss you, too."

"I'll see you when you get back tomorrow. Good night, Danny."

"Night, Joey."